2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

Weed Eater Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weed Eater?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Weed Eater?

Original review: July 22, 2014

The front tire has come off the rim and needed a new one - three times since I purchased this lawnmower in the Spring of 2012. The replacement tires were hard to find so my lawnmower has been out of service more than it has been working since I purchased this lawnmower. I have probably only used this mower 10 or 15 times total. I am extremely displeased with the tire issue and really want to return this mower. I am actually wondering if there has been a recall of this mower due to the tires coming off the rim while you are operating the mower. I would NEVER purchase this type of mower again.

Original review: July 10, 2014

I read the reviews, but am very mechanical and have done all my own repairs all my life. Have a decent shop and tools. Knowing the complaints, figured I could take anything apart and fix it.... However after extensive research, finding out that Weed Eater is actually produced by American Yard Products who make Poulan, Husqvarna, Weed Eater, McCulloch and many more brands, I'm appalled and frustrated that I can't find out the mfg. of the actual friction wheel part that I need to fix this. It's probably a $50 part at best and Sears, WeedEater and every parts house I try only say they'll replace the entire transmission assembly only at a cost of more than what I paid for the entire machine. This is crazy.

The part I'm looking for is part# 17 on the diagram for the WE261 machine (532 43 72-81) which is the rubber drive wheel and clutch mechanism. The stamping number on the wheel is (427788). All I want is for someone to give me the mfg. of this actual part. I'll contact them directly for a replacement. Any one have a solution? I talked to American Yard Products headquarters and was given the "Customer Service" head who I have called several times but only get the answering machine and they never call back.

Original review: July 7, 2014

All you have to do is look at all the other complaints and that is what I had. The only differences is that the place I purchased the piece of ** well not even look at it. I live 130 miles to the next town with a dealer... I purchased the mower so my wife could use it. She can't and nobody else can without something happening to it. I finally figured out the problem with the tires. The steering was hitting the sidewall and cutting them. That is after I purchase 3 new ones from Les Schwab’s because I could not get them from the dealer.

I have replace the clutch plates, steering, seat adjustment knob, front end parts. I have been doing the repairs myself because even a small engine shop that has worked on it before will not work on it anymore. He has had problems getting parts. I have had problem getting parts even through the website (replacement parts) from your website. I would not have purchased the mower if I had time to read about Weed Eater products. I was leaving for 3 months and needed something for my wife could use. I should have saved the money and paid someone to mow the lawn. I'm doing that now. I ordered some parts a couple weeks ago (seat adjustment knobs which fall out then get run over) but I have not seen them. I paid for them already.

Original review: June 30, 2014

I purchased a Weed Eater One Riding Mower with Money that I had saved just for that purpose right before the Mowing season began. The mower was new and had only been used twice by an individual that moved from a house to a Townhouse where they mowed the grass for them. He got on the mower, drove it down the yard one time and brought it back, and it looked like it was just what I wanted. So we loaded it in my van and I left and took it home and unloaded it. I got on it, started it right up, put it in gear and it would not move. It had a grinding sound like two gears were not connecting with one another.

I took it to the shop and ask them to work on it and get it to where it would mow the yard. They charged me $200.00 and told me it was fixed. So I picked it up, took it home and put it in gear and mowed one strip of grass and it started grinding again. So I took it back to the shop and they fixed it again. I took it home and it did the same thing within 5 minutes of mowing. I called the repair shop and ask them why this keeps happening and they told me the gears in the Transmission are made of plastic and this would always happen based on the way they made the Transmission, and if I wanted to mow my yard with it I would have to buy a new Transmission. So I called another shop and ask them to work on it and they told me that this mower was really not designed to mow. It was more for advertisement than anything else and suggested that I scrap the mower and buy a real lawn mower and told me he would not work on it.

Original review: June 16, 2014

I bought a Weed Eater One riding lawn mower about 3 years ago. The rear tire got flat while using it. I bought a new tire and inner tube. Ever since the new tire was replaced, it only goes backwards and not forward making a grinding sound. Doesn't cut grass anymore.

Original review: June 13, 2014

We bought this weed eater riding lawnmower from a neighbor about 6 years ago, still running Strong. All the sudden it decided to not go into gear. Thought maybe change oil, etc. Even went to a resell store and bought the same lawn mower that didn't work just so I could replace the carburetor, still nothing. Won't go into gear, starts but then dies. I have been to sears, home depot, Menard's, Lowes, meijer, you name it been there. Even called weed eater and was told our model is too old and no repair parts, not even take it for repair!!! Ugh!!! So disappointed, trying to see if someone who repairs tractors would want it but all they want to do is scrap it. Heck I'll scrap it now! Never get a weed eater!!

Original review: June 9, 2014

I have owned this thing for nearly 3 years. The transmission was broken from normal use on a level yard now three times. The Husqvarna folks said they had the parts on backorder since August 2013 and the repair station is where the mower has been ever since. I have not had it since August 2013 and it is now June 8, 2014. Husqvarna promised the parts would be available within 10-15 days of May 21, 2014.

I listened to the call that the repair station made to Husqvarna after I made contact with them and was assigned to their Escalation Dept. If you add the weeks and months that the mower has been in the repair station, they have had it nearly One Year out of the Three I have owned it. They agreed to pay for the needed parts which amounts to less than $50 but I have to pay the labor. I should have bought a Snapper.

Original review: June 4, 2014

I have had this riding mower two years and so far the friction plate, clutch plate, transmission and steering mechanism had to be replaced. When it does work, it is easy to use and fun but it constantly breaks down due to design flaws. Husqvarna has now refused to honor the warranty on the latest repair needed, a broken shaft so it is going in the lawn mower graveyard. Husqvarna is difficult to deal with, they will not stand by their product, so buyer beware! I have a small residential lawn and this mower can not handle it. My advice.....definitely stay away from this riding mower!

Original review: June 2, 2014

Just purchased a slightly used Weedeater One from a good friend's dad, too old to keep up a lawn. Excited to try it out. That lasted about 15 minutes. Then I found the front wheels jackknifed and a gouge out the lawn. Now reading this page, it's obvious this was a bad decision. Assuming I will bite the bullet and invest additional money in our push model, not this money pit of a mower.

Original review: June 2, 2014

I have two issues with the Weed Eater One; both issues appear to be common place in various forums. First, a tire tore open on the corner and up the sidewall. The rubber appears to be of low quality. Second, the friction wheel/disk transmission fails to engage quite often. This happens mostly when shifting to reverse but also happens in forward. I can usually get it to engage by moving the speed lever all the way forward, then move it back to reverse. There may be an adjustment to fix this issue but I challenge you to find where it is documented.

Weed Eater Company Information

1971
    9335 Harris Corners Pkwy.
    Charlotte