1.1/5 (73 ratings)

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I work from home and watch the TruGreen "specialists" when they are supposed to be treating the lawn which is in the back and the front of the house, as well as a small side portion. There have been times that the specialist never leaves their truck except to put a notification on my door. Some of the specialists walk to the back of the house and spray in one small area. They are not treating the grass with as much fertilizer as they are stating on their invoice.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

TruGreen is a complete waste of money. We bought a house last year and pre-paid for a season of Tree + Shrub service and the TruHealth Lawn Plan. They came but it honestly looks like nothing is ever done. They spray the yard and everything looks exactly the same. We still have weeds. They won't let you cancel online and make you talk to someone. Whenever anyone calls they call from a 1-800 # so you can never get ahold of your sales rep directly. This business is terrible and I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone I know.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

This was the worst experience we had so far. We were promised and paid for the complete lawn care which is almost $800. The first treatment was a fertilizer and something that was supposed to make some changes to our lawn and remove the weed, but it exactly did the opposite and we have more weed now. Then they came for overseeding and aeration, we accidentally noticed that they are not going to overseed because they don't have Bermuda seed at all. They didn't tell us that when they wanted to charge the complete money. Their specialist said, "You go buy the seed yourself and apply it to your lawn yourself." We want our money back but when we called and asked for a manager they didn't escalate us and promised us a call from a manager. We received a call from a help desk again but they didn't put a manager online to respond. This is fraud. They will not give you the service they promised and they are not responsive.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spoke to Yolanda to cancel our service. She was nice at first. However now she is telling us what the company "can't do" for us and there is no one higher than her to speak to or email. TruGreen has used chemicals that have ruined our lawn. We have called on these issues prior and the last time, a gentleman came out from Fellsmere on his day off and he admitted TruGreen was using chemicals on our lawn that ruins it and burns it. TruGreen always comes when it rains. We have been told not only by TruGreen's very own landscaper but other landscapers that this should not be happening and the chemicals used are ruining our lawn. The man that was here from Fellsmere said he took pictures and sent them in and made note that the chemicals are indeed ruining our lawn. Not only are we not paying for today's service, we are seeking our money back for each time TruGreen came out after the man from Fellsmere came. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

They are suppose to control the weeds in my lawn but they killed my lawn and the weeds thrive. What a waste of money. I will never use this company again. They don't know how how to maintain your lawn and your garden.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Years ago I hired TruGreen for myself and later bought lawn service for a friend, whose husband had passed away. It seemed very simple. I paid for her service, and TG was to treat my friend's lawn. Instead, I entered a billing and notification nightmare and lost countless hours of my life trying to straighten that out. What felt like thousands of calls and lost time, I finally found a fabulous women at the corporate office who was able to eventually fix the billing vs. the actual site of the 2 DIFFERENT addresses of the lawn care sites. Believe me, it was not easy to obtain that information and that was about 7 years ago-now I'm sure it would be IMPOSSIBLE to reach anyone in the head offices. I gave them another chance, as the woman had been so helpful. Stupidly, I later deleted her contact info.

Fast forward to last year when their lawn tech failed to diagnose Chinch Bugs in our lawn, and we were told it was our irrigation system. We invested a good amount of money in our irrigation system, changing to larger heads, etc., all the while our lawn continued to die. Once again, many calls later with an impossible system to actually talk to anyone, we finally got someone else to look at our lawn.

The whole thing about TG is if you have a problem, they will return to your property and correct the problem--DO NOT BELIEVE THAT. We learned our lawn tech was no longer working for them, but by then, a good portion of our lawn was completely dead. What seemed like a gazillion calls and hours later, no call backs, being on hold, leaving messages, they came and reseeded our lawn but and I had to lose another portion of my life calling TruGreen to ensure that our lawn would be treated for Chinch bugs at no cost, all the while, our lawn looked like crap.

This past spring I lost several more hours of my life calling TG to adjust my billing. Then this year, with Covid Restrictions opening up, my husband and I were out of town a good portion of the summer but either came home to water or had our sprinkler system on. I assumed TG was tending our lawn during this time. Then, over a month or so ago, (August) portions of our lawn began dying off. I thought we may have Chinch bugs again. Around the same time I got an overdue bill from TG for $137.00. I called and asked them to send an itemized bill, as I had no idea what the $137.00 was for. I was told I now had paperless billing. I never received a bill. I then got a letter from TG saying they were turning me over to a collection agency. I thought my head would explode.

I called TG to learn that they had signed me up for paperless billing, which I had no idea they had done and never agreed to. I pay my bills as soon as I receive them and this made me crazy. I had always prepaid TG except for the years their billing was so bad that I paid by check with each service rendered, in order to make sure it was accurate.. I called TG and spoke to someone named Chris that told me my account had been closed for non-payment, so they couldn't send anyone out to look at my dying lawn. I explained I had excellent credit and that the reason I hadn't paid my bill was that I NEVER received a bill and STILL had not, despite the fact, that I had requested a copy of the itemized bill.

I told him I had paid the $137.00 to avoid TG totally ruining my excellent credit record. He said they had received the payment but because I had been turned over to the credit agency, I was a credit risk and I would have to PRE PAY and open up a new account. What EVER you do-save yourself countless hours of grief and find someone else. Life is for living and you will want to explode if you hire this corporate nightmare of a company-think of a Guinea Pig in a wheel. That is what it feels like to be a TG customer....except you are screaming.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The first treatment was great. I met the Tech and he seemed very knowledgeable. Then after that it all went south. I received bills where the truck stopped out front of my house then bang I get a text "your service was complete" and he drives off without getting out of the truck. Come on who are you trying to fool? Everyone has cameras. I have witness them stopping and writing a bill and leaving more than once. I witness them stopping and spraying a small area of my yard then leaving in less than 10 minutes. I live in Adams County Pennsylvania and the service here is questionable. Yes after many complaints about leaving without doing a service, they do eventually come out and they do service your lawn but you have to watch them like a hawk. Oddly enough I still haven't canceled but once I find a competitor that can provide quality service I most likely will.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Worst customer service experience ever. I was hung up while obtaining a quote and threw their flyer in the trash. I received a call back from a different representative that apologized and heard me out, most companies don’t care enough to try to save a customer but I would have been better off. After explaining my needs - my lawn died in some areas due to sprinkler failure and that I was capable of maintaining my lawn, I just needed help bringing these dead patches back to life - and $450 later, I was excited to see my lawn that had several dead patches come back to life.

Every time a service was made or an interaction on the phone was made, everyone at TruGreen seemed to be confused about what was sold to me and what they needed to do. I was then called about scheduling aeration services which I then explained again that my back lawn was only 3 months old. Wouldn’t need it. After realizing my front lawn may be included in that service, I called back inquiry about them doing aeration on the front lawn only, especially since I was sold it and told that it was part of my package - the whole reason they were calling me in the first place. So I called back and got Jadeelia from TruGreen on the phone. She was pleasant enough and explained that the aeration was cancelled and so if I wanted the front lawn done, it would be an additional $200.

Confused, I asked why they would be calling me to schedule a service that wasn’t included in my service package and she then explained it was never part of it in the first place. I then attempted to explain that the services they have provided weren’t helping at all and she then kept talking over me and interrupted saying that they don’t help bring dead grass back to life, they only help the soil the maintain an already established lawn and it would only help with weeds. Not reviving my grass, ironically I was sold the “revival plan”.

After inquiry why I was sold this bill of goods, she then interrupted me again, speaking over me before I was finish. I then got upset and said loudly (so she could hear me over her own voice) that “I am not done speaking, do you always talk over your customers when they’re trying to explain an issue to you?!” In which she replied, “are you always a rude person?” I responded, “me pointing out that you speaking over me and interrupting me while I’m explaining a concern is rude of me??” I promptly asked to speak to a supervisor in which she said she’d have to see if the manager wanted to speak with me.

After a minute, she came back on the line and said that her manager didn’t want to speak with me because she was busy doing paper work. I then started to explain what had happened from being hung up, to being sold a package that didn’t fit my needs and once again, talking over me, Jadeelia from TruGreen “that’s not my fault.” I then replied, “I’m not saying it’s your fault, I’m trying to explain my experience with TruGreen from a customer point of view, do you not care?” She said “I do care but that’s not my fault.” I said, "Forget it and give me a refund." Do not use this company. It is the worst company you could ever deal with. Save your money for someone that cares about their customers. What a terrible experience. Wish I could give less than one star.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Patrick performed our service this morning. He listened to our concerns, then immediately set out to address them. He power-sprayed the exterior, then came inside to address a couple of problem issues. Patrick was friendly, attentive, and professional. Great job!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Trugreen's preemergent weed treatment appointment was due on August 20, 2021. They came and fertilized my yard instead. I called and requested the preemergent weed treatment. Appointment was made. They never came. They claimed that a pet scared them away. I told them I don't own a pet. I made another preemergent weed treatment appointment. I called the at 9AM morning of appointment. I was told 2 hours. They continued to tell me two hours until 5PM.

Finally, a Trugreen man arrived. He told me that he could NOT treat for preemergent because he ran out of chemical. He asked if I wanted my lawn fertilized. I told him no thank you. He said, "I'll be here tomorrow and I'll apply preemergent." He never showed. I made another appointment. I call at 9AM morning of treatment appointment. They told me one hour. Later they said between 11AM-1PM. At 2PM they said later today. They never showed. Will appointment 6 be a waste of time again? Updates coming..

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I was signed up with another lawn care service that sold/merged with TruGreen. No notification - one day TruGreen just started showing up. Since then, my backyard is completely dead! The other provider did a nice job! They had eliminated most of the weeds and the backyard was getting thick and green. Now I have dead thatch all over the place and when I rake it I get bald spots. I called to schedule an appointment for someone to come out and they told me they can't schedule an appointment. Then I ask to speak with a manager or supervisor and they tell me I can only speak with them. I have no idea what I'm being billed. My grass is dead....and no one will call me to discuss this. Do yourself a favor - just buy Scott's and do it yourself!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

This company merged with another lawn care company who I had ended my relationship with because they were caught lying about treating my lawn. TruGreen Now threatening collection on services never performed and I have video proof and texts to owner of other company. Stay far far away!! Awful.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

You will not get the service you pay for. I have cameras on my property and they do not service the entire yard. They service 1/4 at best and don't even enter the backyard most times. On my last service they said they spread granulated pot ash with a spreader. Cameras show that is a lie. They are thieves.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

This is the worst company out there, they do not do what they advertise. I have been with this company for 3 years and this year they must have changed all the personnel that worked there the past two years. I have never seen my lawn so bad, weeds and dead grass is everywhere....called to complain about my service or lack of it and all I got from the manager was, "Too bad" and "You can cancel if you like." What a great way to treat your customers. Will never use them again and will make sure to tell everyone I know....seems to me all they want is your money. The tech came to my house and drove by without doing his job. He said I had dogs in my yard which is funny cause I don't have pets.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

After just a few months of treatment they ruined my lawn. Horticulture customer care and yes I paid the year in full. Big mistake!! No my lawn was not weeds and has always been treated. Prompted by a nice salesperson I thought I would try them and huge and costly mistake on my part. Beware.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

TruGreen sales department was clearly very aggressive, but that was the only thing they were clear about. We could not get an accurate breakdown of the cost of services in their packages. We have mud, NOT GRASS in our backyard, and we hired them to replace the mud with grass. It turns out, they billed us for expensive weed treatment...on our MUD. Laying seed and growing grass will now apparently cost extra. We discovered this when they told us a technician visited the property while we were gone, but no one can confirm they sent one, and even if they had the technician would be treating non-existing weeds. They told us a manager will call us sometime next week to discuss a "resolution". UTLIMATELY, I HAD TO REPORT FRAUD ON MY CREDIT CARD to resolve the issue.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

TruGreen came to my house around 1:30pm when I heard the truck. I looked at him from my window. He sat in his vehicle for about 3 min then came out, walked to the back of my yard, then walked back and left a card on my door. I thought he forgot something in his vehicle when I saw him going back towards his vehicle, instead he left. Guess he treated my lawn with his mind? I’m so angry with this scammy company who portrays themselves as professionals. I am hoping to get back my money!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I was forced to use this company when my old company decided to merge. TruGreen is horrible, they did not service my lawn as expected and told me the spray was enough, what a joke. The tech sat in his truck 30 min before doing anything and then wrote on the invoice he spent 30 min on my lawn... Very disappointed, please choose a company that is within your area. Choose a small business that actually cares. TruGreen does not.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Their guarantee is they "will gladly visit your property as often as needed between scheduled visits...to ensure your satisfaction." Well, they don't. My lawn looks worse than before they started their service. I called 6 times and received promises each time that someone would come and spray for weeds. Six times they cancelled. When you call, they promise it will be fixed but after 6 times, I cancelled the contract. Customer Service makes promises but if the branch does not follow through, their guarantee is useless. Try someone else.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Hello: I prepaid Tru Green over $2000.00 for their services of fertilization, weed killer and grub killer. They said they had spread fertilizer and grub control, they left sign on door that said they put up flags, none were ever placed. I have a 1/2 acre lot and the time stamp said they were here 15 minutes. I got up early and waited and heard no equipment and they did not knock on my door to say they were there, they were supposed to Text me and e-mail me and it was never done. Neighbor said they just sat in truck and put the sign on the door.

After 15 days not one weed had even wilted. I saw no sign of any chemicals on my lawn. They said they would come back but never did. The tree service was worse. I have 14 trees and over 30 bushes. They did not contact me even though I called a few days before to tell them to text me and e-mail me with time that they will be here and also told them to ring the bell and knock on the door. There was a sign that said they were there, they stayed 12 minutes, my neighbor told me that they did not see them do anything. They left me a handwritten note that said printer broken so no timestamp. Made excuses that he was not licensed to do ornamental or flowering trees. No one ever said that.

No sign of any chemicals and all leaves and bushes had no moisture on them from spraying. I was outside and neighbor was outside and he said he saw them do nothing. Do not trust them, now I have to try and get all of my Money Back. I filed a fraud case with my Bank to refund my prepaid $$$ 3500.00 I would not trust them ever again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Until this year I typically bought my own four step products to fertilize and control weeds on my yard but often have difficulty with crabgrass. I contacted TruGreen and told them of my problem with the weed. My yard looks terrible this year. I contacted TruGreen and told them that the crabgrass was growing all over the yard. They send out a tech to spray the yard and it looks no better. I could not figure out what I was paying them for. The grass is nice and green this year but the the weeds are no less than years past. I ended up firing them and will look for a different service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I had 2 properties contracted for weed control with TruGreen. One in Ottawa & the other one in Barrie, Ontario. I cancelled the service one after the other due to the same inadequate service and for arrogant company policy. I contracted Ottawa property for Front yard lawn and Backyard Weed control. They never did the back yard with lame excuse; such as: dog, door was closed and we do not service areas full of stones.. Though, they kept on billing me and insisted on settlement, so, I paid 75% of the contract for Both properties. At the end they recommended a different type of service with extra cost... So, I cancelled.

Similarly for Barrie property. For 2 consecutive months they did not show up, though account was 75% settled. But they insisted that one application is not paid for yet. Weeds kept on growing and they never showed up. So, I cancelled.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

So I rarely post reviews positive or negative but today is an exception. I would advise to never sign up for TruGreen service. I thought canceling cable service was difficult but they have nothing on TruGreen. Tried canceling my service on 5 different occasions. On the phone a total of approximately 3 hours the last few months. Every time they tell me service has been cancelled and every time I get a voicemail a couple of weeks later saying that I have a service scheduled. Each time I call and they all say there is no record of me calling to cancel. A supervisor is never available. An email of my cancellation can’t be sent. So this time I had had enough and have warned them that I will not call again but if their technician shows up they are not allowed on my property, they will be trespassing and I will call the police. Avoid TruGreen.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

UTTER SCAM. They said they came on my first service with them for a mosquito problem but I couldn't figure out how because our little dog would've gone bananas if he saw someone out in our back yard (and he doesn't miss a bird whizzing by). But I called and they assured me someone came. Fine. Two days later, I'm getting mauled by mosquitos. So I tried to get customer service on the phone. Holy nightmare. Finally I got someone and she said they'd have someone out in 10 days. No one. So I called again. Set the service up for Thursday. So Thursday I put a note on the back gate with giant letter saying TRUGREEN PLEASE CALL WHEN YOU GET HERE (and included my cell). And I put the note over the latch so you couldn't miss it. But I didn't stop there.

I put our little pooch in the kitchen that faces the backyard. And I sat and waited. A Trugreen technician called and said he was here and was about to service the yard and I told him I was here but didn't see him. The phone hung up. And I called him back several times - straight to VM. I'm so ticked they wasted hours and hours of me waiting and calling, etc. Please heed my advice and use someone else. Anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Please, please, please do not waste your time and/or money on doing business with TruGreen. You are guaranteed to be at least disappointed if not completely dissatisfied. When I hired TruGreen there were some weeds in my lawn and I wanted them to completely maintain my yard with fertilizer as well as with pest control. Over the course of about ten months many of the weeds were gone and the grass began to thicken until about three weeks ago after a treatment. At first there were small patches of brown and when I brought it to their attention the first tech said it was due to drought intolerance (after almost a month of rain everyday). The second guy said it was pest infestation. The third guy said that they both were wrong.

Each time they treated my grass differently and now most of my lawn is dead and weeds are beginning to take over. I wanted to speak to a manager and it took over a week to get a call back from a blocked number and then I'm back in the rotation of waiting. Now I've got to re-sod before I put the house on the market which means more out of pocket. The last tech said "it looks like you got a hot load". Which means that it was completely their fault for applying chemicals from a tank that had been sitting in the sun all day and it destroyed my lawn. STAY AWAY FROM TRUGREEN!!!! If it were possible my true rating would be -5!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

My lawn was in much better shape before TruGreen started its treatment. I don't know what they apply to the grass? Whatever it is it's not working. Maybe they just don't apply the right amount? I have almost one acre of land, it takes the technician no more than 8 minutes to apply their chemicals. I constantly had to call the main office and complain about their service. The technician which comes to perform services has no idea about the lawn service. However, TruGreen will call their technician's lawn specialists. Every time I asked the technician a question, his response was, "I don't know I was told to do that." I stop my services with them and will never render any services from TruGreen. Be careful, TruGreen will renew your service automatically at the end of the year without any communication and will send you a bill.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Last year we contracted with Tru Green and were given a one year guarantee. Since that fateful day they have missed 3 appointments and not made them up, done an aeration on our lawn and cut the internet, done very little to reseed during the fall as promised, and in the past two months we have seen our weeds completely take over our one year old lawn. I have called several times to complain only to be told that a manager will contact me (still no call back). To add icing on this they are trying to charge my credit card without my authorization. If you are looking for a lawn care service save yourself a lot of headaches and go with someone else because these people are not professional and do not care about people or their lawn.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Avoid this service! When they sell you the service a Trugreen rep tells you that if you need your yard retreated, you can call in between services and have multiple free reservices... this is not honest. After your treatment they tell you to wait 2 weeks before requesting... then when you request the retreat they schedule a service for you... what they don't tell you is that they are scheduling your next billable service so you will be charged for that retreat. Then when you call them on it, they tell you that you can only request a free reservice if your next service isn't already scheduled. LLLOOOONNNGGGG hold times to actually talk to anybody. Rude Chat reps... all in addition to the fact that I have had the service for a full season with no improvement in grass/weeds.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Absolutely horrible. I can't even believe this company continues to function. I had to prepay an entire year....and had to wait over a month to just get anyone to follow up with me. I had to cancel and get a refund - and I have waited over a month to get any updates....Sadly I'M STILL without a refund. As far as I'm concerned- TruGreen just stole my money. I'd never recommend them to anyone. The sheer incompetence being demonstrated is astounding. It appears they can't even refund $$ back to a card! They have to "send a paper check"....Sheez....

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

After trying to work with this company for two years, countless calls and 4 face to face meetings with manager, they still amazingly suck. Save your time, money and lawn and go with a local caring company.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information