Find a Lawn Care Companies partner

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: April 23, 2020

WARNING!!! What you need to know about TruGreen:

1. Dishonest: A scheduled technician will write up a service order, submit it to accounts payable, and then charge your account... when the technician NEVER set foot on your property. When you try to have your account credited for services not rendered… good luck! Misguided advertisement…that says, ”we promise to work until your lawn looks its best.” Not in my case. They unsuccessfully tried, failed and then deactivated my account and walked away.

2. Inadequate: Scheduled appointments canceled due to mechanical failures. Products used do not perform as advertised.

3. Destructive: Will ignore a customer’s plea in regards to an invasive weed. TruGreen's negligence in treating the invasive weed allows that weed to kill off lush St. Augustine grass leaving embarrassing destruction in its path. After TruGreen’s failed attempts to control the invasive weed, TruGreen’s response is to cancel your account leaving you with a damaged lawn.

P.S. When a technician arrives to service my lawn…looks over at my neighbor’s lawn and says, “Wow, their lawn looks great. What do they treat their lawn with?” Sad to say, my neighbor does nothing to treat their lawn. So, what does that tell you about TruGreen’s product?

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Gordon. We appreciate your feedback and upon reviewing your account we have verified that your account has been cancelled as of 3/17/20. If we can be of any further assistance in the future please let us know.

Original review: April 23, 2020

Great marketing company, but when it comes down to it...it's way too big... they've sacrificed personal service by getting too large... I never know what time the technician (who I don't even know) is coming even though the app constantly texts me with the technician's ETA, but that ETA is never right and shows a little truck on a map route with a time window of like 8 hours??? Really? I tried making changes to my account and must have called 8 different 800 numbers and even couple local numbers but get to the same exact menu at corporate probably and then after trying to speak to someone always got a voice mail that was full.. But when I hit the key for "interested in opening up a new account" lo and BEHOLD I got a live person..

The first live person there was so rude, she actually hung up on me... then called again and a very nice woman told me she'd get me to the person who would help me and would stay online until then.... so I cancelled my service but needed to listen to multiple attempts to try to keep me and even when I said I was unhappy with the service and even if you gave it to me free it wouldn't matter... the next question out of this person's mouth was "If we gave you the next service free would you consider staying with us?" unbelievable.... Suggestion to all is to stay LOCAL with vendors and contractors and stay away from the big BOYS... never will get the same service..

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Jack. We appreciate your feedback and upon reviewing your account we are able to confirm that you did cancel your services as of 4/27/20. I'm sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations for the services. If we can be of any other assistance in the future please let us know.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I paid Tru Green 2 months ago, they were on their third service to my yard. I have cameras around my home. The technician came out to my home on 4/8/2020 stayed for exactly 3 minutes! Only sprayed the portion of my yard where he parked, threw a tru green sign in my yard like he was throwing a dart then left!! I cancelled all further service with tru green and wouldn't recommend this untrustworthy company to anyone!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Brock. We appreciate your feedback and upon reviewing your account we see that you have already cancelled the services as of 4/9/20. If we can be of any other assistance please contact us directly at customercare@trugreenmail.com.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Aeration service was scheduled for the 1st and now the 6 of April. Today, the technician timeline was between the hours of 1:00pm to 6:00pm. Verified three times with customer service and once again- no show. This is truly unprofessional and now - 6:05pm customers service is closed.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Anthony. We appreciate your feedback and upon reviewing your account we see that you have already received a resolution. Thank you for choosing Trugreen.

Original review: March 30, 2020

This is a service report. Early 2019 I signed up with Trugreen for an annual service. In the beginning it was a nightmare with no exaggeration. I could tell that the staff was limited and every TRUGREEN Representative that came to my address didn't have any enthusiasm, (zero). Shawn changed my mind. He is a diamond in the rough. In fact, I wished Shawn could be cloned or duplicated and be spread over every office in the country. He has made me change my mind and approach and has given me the opportunity to trust Trugreen again. He's a trooper and goes beyond what is expected of him.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Stacey, thanks for your positive feedback! We appreciate you for being a part of our TruGreen community.

Original review: March 28, 2020

TruGreen does not do what they are charging to do. They killed my lawn and they charged twice and three times per month on every occasion they say that they provide service. They Charged $257.85 from Jan 2020 to March 2020 and when we tried to cancel they said that they would but then turned around and charged again. Please do your research on this company. They do not do what the say they would do and they would destroy your Lawn and Trees.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Reynold, we appreciate your feedback! Please feel free to reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com if you have any questions or concerns regarding our service.

Original review: March 28, 2020

No problem with the service - the problem we are having is a lot of weeds in our yard. We have more dandelions in our yard this year than in resent years. Not sure if the product you are using is not doing its job or if it is not being put on enough. The north side of our house is full of clover and other weeds as well as the dandelions. Just bringing this to your attention.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Linda, we are sorry to hear our services didn't meet your expectations. We would love to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com, and we will have our team review this. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 25, 2020

TruGreen applied weed control and I still have weeds. When I called to tell them they sent out someone who did nothing. I called again and was told they would get the the next application. Still have weeds and they are getting worst. Also, had lawn seeded and the seed never came up. Called them and told them and they did nothing.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Rosemary, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Over a week ago, I called a sales person Tim and inquired about the cost of a lawn service. Later on that same day, I cancelled that service and a confirmation was given. I was assured that there would be no charge to my bank account. This was a lie and a scam. March 23, 2020, my bank was charged the full amount of $613.45. It has been literally pure hell to try and get them to refund my money that they took without my authorization. They hire staff that cannot spell or do not listen and you have to repeat yourself numerous times. What kind of operation scams senior citizens. Beware of this lawn service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Wayne, we appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We will follow up with the right teams to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Please email us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can get this taken care of!

Original review: March 19, 2020

Our old lawn care service was thru Rottler. They stopped their lawn care and gave everyone's info to TruGreen. We decided not to use TruGreen based on their reviews. We've let them know multiple times yet they still keep calling almost daily. Extremely annoyed!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Alexandra, we are sorry to hear that this was your experience with us. Please email customercare@trugreenmail.com so that we can get your name on our no-call list. We apologize for any inconvenience you have had with our team.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I first used these guys in 2016. They burnt my lawn to a toast. They told me they'd fix it no charge. They came back a few times to try to bring my grass back but my lawn was gone for the season. Fast forward to today and I've getting billed by a collection agency for the so called make up services to fix my lawn from 2016. I'm being chased by a COLLECTION AGENCY for services rendered four years ago that were performed because they screwed up. And now they have a short memory on what they promised me...that they wouldn't bill me for the services done to try to bring back my lawn. DO NOT USE THESE GUYS. THERE ARE OTHER LAWN CARE COMPANIES WHO HAVE THEIR ACT TOGETHER.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi George, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I was charged for my last service and could not tell if service was done. There were not any TruGreen signs and not a receipt on door knob. The email I got on app said weeds were noticed and treated though the few weeds I have are still green and growing. Not sure if he treated the wrong yard and got mixed up but am wondering if I got my treatment. Until this last service been very satisfied with service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Ryan, we appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We will follow up with the right teams to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Please email us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can get this taken care of!

Original review: March 15, 2020

Very happy with the care and performance of the lawn care workers. If I have special issues they are taken care of immediately. The workers are very friendly and caring about my lawn even suggesting additional care that can be taken.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Bill, thanks so much for the positive feedback. We're thrilled to have you as a part of our TruGreen Community!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Thomas has been your Rep with us for over a year & he ALWAYS does an excellent job for us. He explains every application & what we need to do to obtain the best results. Yes - I have recommended him to our neighbors and one of them now has TruGreen.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Paul, thanks so much for the positive feedback. We're thrilled to have you as a part of our TruGreen Community!

Original review: March 14, 2020

TruGreen is doing a very poor job of controlling the winter weeds in my lawn. It seems that there is a different operator each visit so that there is no one accountable for my lawn. I am a long time customer and I pay in advance in full for the entire year's service. I hope this situation improves.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear our services didn't meet your expectations. We would love to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com, and we will have our team review this. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 13, 2020

We are always so pleased when Tate ** comes to care for our lawn. He's polite, thorough, and careful about this work. There is no mess to clean up after he leaves. He's a keeper. Enough said: we'd recommend him any day.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for your positive feedback, Ted and Nona!

Original review: March 12, 2020

I had Trugreen for 2 years. After 2 years of them spraying my yard they claim they came out in the November and December and sprayed. If so then they would have sprayed my dogs also with poison. After some lady called me claiming I owed for 3 months I told her there is no way they came out because my dogs were in the backyard and they don't spray when dogs are out. The lady said, "Cant help you with that," and hung up sent my bill for 150.00 to collections. Called them back they said it was more than 150.00 and claimed all the supervisors where in meeting.

I have looked at reviews and video of people being charged and the drivers never get out or spray Which I am sure is what happened here. I would have no problem paying for services that were done. But this company is a rip off. I now believe there was multiple times where I was charged and services were not done. Stay away from this company and trust me your grass will not get green like they claim. They will try and sell you on other crap saying your yard needs more air or different chemicals. Several occasions they killed my grass and said it was the weed killer and it would come back. Please look on Youtube or reviews before hiring this company.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have been with the company for over 20 yrs. Over the years my service has gone down due to lack of application by the tech. I have complaints on more than one occasion that the tech wasn't doing my entire lawn. I have cameras on my property that monitor anyone on the property. Each time the tech comes he shows on the cameras two time - one when on the porch and one time going down and back up on quadrant of my property. I have 3/4 of a acre lot covers by camera. He don't finish the front two side and back at all because we are not at home. I like the service if done right. My wife points it out every time and I started to catch it and the lawn tells the story. I'm not looking to get free service. Just want what I pay for. I'm a disable Marine Vet forced with stopping my service and try to do it myself to stop paying for poor service.

Original review: March 10, 2020

After they destroyed my lawn in 2019, I contracted another company to begin to repair the damage caused by TruGreen. I had made 3 formal complaints to TruGreen over the course of the 2019 season and nothing they did fixed the problems, it actually made it worse. I now have bare spots all over my backyard and more crabgrass than I started with.

As it is now time for the new season to start, I have continually been getting harassed by TruGreen and told a new service will be happening multiple times after I have cancelled them. I have spoken to customer service a total of probably 2hrs over the last month and no matter what I continually get an alert that a new service will be starting.

Today, I decided to chat them as I had already spent more time than I have available speaking in circles with them. I was told that I had to call again in order to cancel. I stated that they are not authorized to access my property and I will file a police report if they do. The rep responded and stated that unless I call they will proceed with the scheduled service, even though I have already called and cancelled the service twice over the phone. I also have photos of the chat conversations. STAY AWAY FROM TRUGREEN. Lawn Doctor has been incredible thus far and I highly recommend them.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I used their company in the past (for several years)! I stopped service due to the continued calls about upgrades to service. It got to be harassment. I started having grub issues and called today to obtain an estimate. I told the sales rep that I was reluctantly returning to obtain an estimate. I told the sales rep of the past issues but was willing to possibly give the company a second chance.

The sales rep. gave me one price for services and told me how great and wonderful the company is and he would assure me that I won't have any issues this time. He wanted a decision today. I told the sales rep that I am obtaining other estimates and will not be making any decisions today. He said, "Hold on". He wants to see if his manager can get me a better price. He returned with a much better price and once again wanted a decision today. I again advised the sales rep that I will take this all into consideration but will not be making any decisions today. He said the price is only good for today and hung up on me. Well, so long TruGreen! I will NEVER use your company again... HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SALES TACTICS...

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Tim, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I was not happy with the Trugreen's performance on my yard. Many clovers and weeds after three plus years of service. I decided I was not going to renew my service. As both of myself and my wife work full time, we received a message that Trugreen was going to service my lawn. When we were able to call to cancel, it was after hours. I received an invoice and spoke with a customer service representative and was told the service renews automatically so I am stuck paying for a poor service I do not need nor do I want.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Jack, we appreciate your feedback! Please feel free to reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com if you have any questions or concerns regarding our service.

Original review: March 5, 2020

We paid $714 for one year of service from July 2019 to July 2020. Received a bill for the last two services because we "used all of our money". Total scam and they think they have a blank check. Don't be fooled.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Connie, we appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We will follow up with the right teams to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Please email us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can get this taken care of!

Original review: March 5, 2020

My red oak was fine and then TruGreen sprayed my lawn and the tree started to decline, when I called them about the tree they would say the spray they use did not harm the tree and then started avoiding me. I continued the lawn service because they said it was not harming the tree, but the tree kept declining and I ask them if they could help me with the tree, they came and took samples and sent them off to A&M and said they it showed that they did not cause the issue. I called out 3 different arborists and they all said they it was caused by the chemicals used by TruGreen. I keep reaching out to them and they will not make it right. They continue to not pass on the information about not spraying around the tree to the techs that come out to treat the yard. I have photos of the tree each month for the past year and it shows the decline.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Phillip, we are sorry to hear our services didn't meet your expectations. We would love to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com, and we will have our team review this. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I purchased a years lawn treatments from TruGreen. After 10 months of treatments the weeds in my lawn were still there and taking over my grass. I called and complained and they sent a different tech out to spray. After he looked to see what the prior tech was spraying he informed me that the wrong chemicals were being applied to my lawn. After one application of the right chemicals the weeds started to die off. But then Trugreen sent me a bill for 2 treatments for the month of August and October. Keep in mind my year treatments were not supposed to end until November.

When I called trugreen they said if I purchased another years treatments they would waive the 2 billings. After informing them that I had until November and how unsatisfied I was with their service and would not use them again they tell me that their year service is 10 months of treatments not 12. I've talked to several people from trugreen and tried to explain to them that a year is 12 months not 10 and they all just tried to sell me more services and would say their year is 10 months. Needless to say 8 months later they are still sending me bills for 2 treatments done on the last 3 months of a 12 month year. Needless to say I would stay away from this lawn service. P.s. I also caught the tech one time on my video cameras pulling up to the house and hanging a bill on the door without doing anything and leaving. After calling and informing them of what just happened I was supposed to be credited that service which I never was.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Mark, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: March 1, 2020

They did it backwards. My grass died except for a few clumps behind my house. I have some type of aggressive grasslike vegetation growing in my driveway. And my lawn is full of various weeds. I even have weeds I have never seen before! I had two houses with them with the same problem. I was told that they wouldn’t go out and respray for weeds in my driveway if I canceled my account. Apparently, they only make things right, if you keep paying them. Plus their sales is super aggressive and sketchy. You will be sent text messages and be called about additional services. When I canceled my accounts, I still received phone calls and mailings trying to get me to buy services. It’s never “We’ll restore your lawn since we killed it.” I was legit told “We have to make it worse before it gets better.”

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Tiffani, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We had Trugreen as our lawn company and last year they ended up killing our lawn. Our neighbor who also has them had his lawn majorly damaged as well. Although they said it had to do with lack of watering, that was not the case. So in July of 2019 they sent two sales reps out to our home, Adam and Teddy, to try to resolve this issue and have us sign back up. They promised us 20 trays of plugs, as well as mosquito, tree and shrub, etc. services at no additional cost so long as we pre-paid for the year which we did. ($560.00). Shortly after us prepaying we received bills from them for each "free" service. We called both Adam and Teddy who assured us this was a mistake and they would take care of this....We had paid for one year of services.

I have to say when we inquired about the 20 trays of plugs we ended up having to speak to a manager who gave us a hard time....saying that that was not something they would normally do and advised us that Adam was fired because of his promises and lack of honesty and the company could not stand by him. So now they start billing us beginning in January of 2020 ...saying it was only a "calendar year" and now charging us for services that were given to us for free to get us to come back as a customer. We are livid....I have just disputed this with our credit card company. Unless they make us whole, as per their contact, we will have nothing to do with TruGreen and will make sure they do not take advantage of anyone else. We really hope they do the right thing and honor their contact.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Frank, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I've just signed up online. I requested to speak with someone on the first visit.. After several days and already crediting charge card. I get a robot call saying they'll be there tomorrow with no time indicated or that there'll be someone to speak to. I am not real comfortable with this type of service. The chat line said I can follow the tech on the app!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Mary, we appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We will follow up with the right teams to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Please email us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can get this taken care of!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

This company is awful. One person is worse than the next, from the techs who come to your home who know absolutely nothing about lawn care to the customer service people who don't have a clue what is going on. They pretty much killed my lawn from applying the wrong weed killer, then did it again. They never send the same tech so they don't know anything about your lawn. The customer service is awful, they are nice enough, but constantly making mistakes, say they'll call and fix things, then never do. This is the worst lawn care out there, they are a joke. Do NOT use this company.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Ellen, we are sorry to hear our services didn't meet your expectations. We would love to get this resolved for you. Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com, and we will have our team review this. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I switched my lawn care to TruGreen from a previous lawn care company because the previous lawn care company raised their prices significantly. TruGreen came in after they evaluated my lawn and quoted me close to what I previously paid so I decided to make the switch. Near the middle of summer, my lawn started to show brown spots that started to enlarge as the summer progressed. Near the end of summer, I have never seen my lawn in this bad shape. I called TruGreen and after several attempts they finally sent someone to check my lawn and their solution was to give my lawn another treatment. Shortly after that, I got a bill for the extra treatment but my lawn never recovered.

I have since tried to call the company and every time I called, the Operator said they will have a supervisor call me. This has been the case for the past 3 months and to this day, no supervisor has called me. I have called a total of 5 times and left messages. I'm afraid I may have to reseed my entire lawn after this mess. I would have given them negative star rating if I could both for their lawn service but also their customer service. Never again would I consider this company.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Gino, we want you to have an awesome experience with our service, and we’re sorry it didn’t happen this time. We would love to get this resolved for you! Please reach out to us at customercare@trugreenmail.com with your account information so that we can review this further.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Today was the day that TruGreen was scheduled. This is a lease property, I was supposed to have a 2 hour window so that I could be there. Absolutely no calls and no communication. At 8:30, I had a text from the tenant who said that TruGreen had already been there. At that time of the morning, the grass is still wet from dew, and every pre-emergent that I have ever applied requires that the grass be dry. I don't know how effective the treatment will be; sounds like a wasted trip. I had used TruGreen before and after a full year, the yard still had weeds. I explained my previous experience with TruGreen & chose not to be on contract.

DO NOT ever again show up at this property without notifying me well in advance so that I can be there. It takes an hour for me to drive to the property. Treatments need to be scheduled late morning or early afternoon. My tenant works at night and TruGreen cannot show up at 8:30 A.M. and wake her up. If this happens again, I will cancel the service. Virginia **.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information