1.1/5 (80 ratings)

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: May 31, 2022

Two months in a row TruGreen has sent an email saying the technician was on the way, then that the technician was there and then that the technician has completed service. The problem is that they DIDN't even show up and I'm on my front porch the whole time! A friend of mine a mile away has had the same issue. They're claiming they're spraying the lawn but there is no evidence; either signs left in yard, grass is wet or being visible entities. And the lawn still looks horrible. For those of you who trust they're showing up while you're working or out for a while or napping, you're being scammed! There are other reputable and honest companies to provide this service. Don't trust them to actually treat your lawn or even show up!

Original review: May 27, 2022

What started out as great service turned into a nightmare. I hired TruGreen in the summer of 2020, because my previous lawn service/pest control company allowed my lawn to turn into a weed apocalypse then gave me a hard time about it. So I got someone else. And for the remainder of 2020 and for the most part in 2021, TruGreen managed to rehabilitate my very sad lawn. They were responsive, came out to re-treat when asked. They were friendly and answered questions. Life was good. Well, except that unlike 2020, TruGreen did not use TopChoice for the yearly fireant service in July 2021. They used Advion then ignored my question as to why. Mistakes happen, I know, but ignoring the question, and then not making it right? Hm. That really should have been my first clue.

In the fall of 2021, my normally reliable single point of contact said they'd call me with a price for 2022 in mid December 2021. Mid December came and went...and my followup texts and voicemails to them went unanswered. TruGreen was MIA. The call center was perpetual holdfest, notes sent to Customer Service from the web portal were unanswered. This should have been my second hint to GET OUT. When I finally managed to get someone to respond, I got several different prices, a promise of a call back...then more silence. I eventually just pre-paid for my 3 services via my online account because I figured they'd make it right. Silly me. Hope is just another word for denial...

Service didn't actually start until 1/17 and that was my first TruHealth lawn service for 2022. The second was on 3/8. My third TruHealth lawn service was on 4/11. [It's 5/26 as I write this.] And aside from the free re-services for weeds (3/30, 4/18, and 5/9), and the re-treatment for fireants (4/18 and 4/25) --they haven't been back. My lawn, despite supplemental irrigation and a decent amount of rain, isn't growing. It is sickly and yellowish. The only thing that IS growing are the weeds. Neighbors asked me what happened to it.

I don't like phone calls because I prefer having a written record of interactions with vendors -- it keeps things straight. And without a single point of contact this year, I use the online account portal or email to contact CS. And every time I'd send an email to Customer Service I'd eventually get 2 different responses -- sometimes with conflicting or incorrect info. It's also important to note that their response time is at least 3-4 days IF at all. And God help you if you send more than one email. You may get multiple responses that will all contradict each other. By last weekend I'd complained about weeds (AGAIN) and questioned why they hadn't been out to do the regular service since early April and...no response. The service manager, who gave me his contact info when he came out personally to take care of fireants on 4/25, was also non-responsive though he was copied on the email.

Yesterday was the point I decided I'd spent enough time trying to get them to perform as agreed. And I emailed that I wanted to cancel my account and have the remaining portion of my prepay ($650.67) returned to me. I got no response. So I texted the service manager and...he told me to go through the call center. Wow. So I called and managed to get to speak to someone who promised me a refund, but who didn't want to cancel my account before the refund. Oookay. She also said TruGreen would "make it right" first and get the techs out to take care of the fertilizer and the weeds and the fireants at no charge. Okay.

She even emailed me to tell me that the refund was "in process". Cool. Then I logged in to my account and saw that a TruHealth service was scheduled for 6/1. So I emailed her and asked about it. And about details of my refund. And haven't heard back since. I followed up today. Silence. This kind of runaround is probably what you can expect. When it comes right down to it -- TruGreen doesn't give a damn about me, my lawn, or doing the right thing. And if they do it to me, they'll probably do it to you too. I need my $650.67 back. ASAP.

Original review: May 25, 2022

I have a new home that needs grass. Purchased 1 year of service including seeding. Got 1 treatment of something. Why treat bare dirt. Was told seeding will be in July! Also you cannot talk to local business. All calls through Atlanta.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Was on annual plan for 2 years and they killed my grass. Lawn looks better after 6 months of doing it myself. Then, this Spring I ordered a lawn aeration and was told it would be 5-7 days. Never happened. Called and was told 10-12 days. Never happened. It's been over a month and still hasn't happened. This was a $400 job. Called today and canceled. Had the same issues with scheduling when I was on annual program. Horrible service. Do not use!!

Original review: May 21, 2022

I was with TruGreen for 1 year and the services was horrible. They killed my lawn when they put whatever they used now my lawn is damaged. Don't use their service. All they do is steal people's money.

Original review: May 20, 2022

I am NOT a customer of TruGreen, but when I got home from vacation and my yard was done by them (their flag in the ground) and part of my yard was now brown, I was a very unhappy non customer. I tried to contact them and talk to someone in a management position, all I could get was a run-around from customer service and them saying they are sorry. If you subscribe to them don't expect that if there is a problem to ever get to talk to the people that can make it right. Based on the pattern in my yard of the brown they don't even do a good job of your entire yard!! I'm just telling it like it is, GOOD LUCK!

Original review: May 11, 2022

We had used TruGreen over 2 years and paid them to keep my lawn green, they killed all my grass, our yard now worst than ever before! Clover, dandelion all over and when I called them canceled they only cancel weed control, didn’t cancel Tree& Scrub! What the hell, after 2 years we paid $2000 per year for them kill all my grass! Do not waste your money on TruGreen!

Original review: May 3, 2022

I paid for a full year service last year. The service was awful. The lawn was inundated with weeds all season. I cancelled the service for this year. I then received an email stating the tech would be at my home today. I immediately called the service number and refused service. I stated very clearly, I did not want them entering my property or providing service. The call center tech took the info, asked why I didn't wish to continue with their services and said she would be sure to cancel the treatment.

I arrived home today to signs in my yard and a confirmation email of the services they provided today. I was Pissed!! I called the service number again and today's call center rep said there was no record of yesterday's call and that approved the continuation of services by not cancelling then said I had approved it in an email last month. **! If my lawn burns out from being over-fertilized I'll be seeing them in small claims for the funds to replace my lawn with another service provider.

Original review: April 28, 2022

We signed up in January 2021 and prepaid in advance for a year, which is 8 lawn services. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th services I had to call to find out when we were scheduled because a lot of time had gone by. I was told we weren't even scheduled, so the dispatcher went ahead and took care of it while on the phone with her. That was fine. In December 2021, the tech had to come back because I called complaining that he didn't even do our backyard, and the reason I know this, is because our backyard camera never picked up any motion back there.

If he DID go back there, then he only did the HALF that the camera doesn't show. On April 27th 2022, our LAST service, we were both home, so I figured he'd do a thorough job, knowing we were home... NOPE! We watched him spray the upper half of backyard. Ummmm... We paid for the WHOLE front and back yard, why is it okay to just spray the upper half of the back yard? We canceled future services that day. You have to make sure you cancel service, or they will automatically renew you!

Original review: April 27, 2022

This company is a money-stealing FRAUD!!! My husband and I called TruGreen NJ on March 8th because we had ants in the house and wanted treatment for that and for mosquito removal. We stressed to the rep that we were looking to start service asap. He quoted us a price for the summer, it included 5 treatments, and we paid right away for the entire service (we were not given another option). He told us that the company was very big on customer service and that if they sprayed and bugs and mosquitos were back the next day, they would come out the very next day and spray again at no additional charge, etc. Everything sounded awesome.

A few weeks passed and there was no service. We reached out to the rep, who apologized and assured us everything would be taken care of and he would make sure we got service set up immediately. Ok, great. Except, more time passes and still nothing. We called again. This time, the rep claimed that the phone number on our account was incorrect and told us some number we've never heard of. Anyway, he claimed to correct the error and once again promised that we would have service sent to our house within a day or two. No service was ever received, almost 2 months later.

At this point, the rep stopped responding to texts and voicemails. When we called the main line on Thursday, the automated system said we were scheduled for service today, April 25th. I feel it is almost redundant at this point of me to say that this service never happened. We called the main line again. Of course a representative is never available. Now, the line says we are due for service this coming Friday. The only problem is that I don't trust I will ever receive this service anymore. We paid almost $500 and have yet to see anyone come to our house.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I cannot talk to anyone that’s involved with treatment on my yard & I only can talk to customer service representatives & I can only call a 800 number. I just want to speak to a supervisor for my area but that’s impossible. I was late answering a call on Monday & I had no way to contact that person back. They left no voice mail & information that I could return their call. I haven’t received 1 call since the missed call Monday morning. I guess they give you one chance to answer to resolve my issue but want me to give them multiple chances to get it right. I have 3 properties that I am paying for & 2 were gifts 1 to my son & his wife & 1 to my daughter & her husband. They are complaining to me about their yards & how the neighbors that get no treatment looks better than their yard. I have wasted so much money, time, & energy on TruGreen services.

Original review: April 25, 2022

First-year customer with Trugreen, I purchased the lawn care and the mosquito care plans. For the first mosquito service, the service technician stopped by to drop a flag on my property but never delivered service, and of course, they had the audacity to bill me. Called them and canceled the service. For my lawn service, I prepaid for the whole year (Mistake). My lawn is full of weeds, and when I chatted with them online, I was on hold for 15 minutes only to be told we will make sure we address it on the next service (it should've been done on the first service and weed shouldn't get root in my yard...) What a rip-off, stay away, they promise too much and deliver miserable service.

Original review: April 20, 2022

The service guy came, and returned with out servicing. I get an automated message saying unable to service, back yard door locked. First of all the door was not locked just need to push. The other thing how dumb of the person who came not to ring the doorbell, someone was home. The company can send an automated message saying cannot service, but they cannot send a message saying hello, is someone home, or we are unable to service, before the the service guy just walks off with out servicing. Bad first experience, I was thinking of canceling the contract, but I am being patient to see how the year service goes by

Original review: April 16, 2022

After buying my home last fall, I contacted this company to let them know we were NEW owners. In spite of this, last week they came onto my yard and left signs that they had sprayed it. When I called, the customer service person could not find my account (probably because I didn’t have one), and could not tell me what was done. Said he’d check and call back but didn’t. Next day my husband called and got someone who said they used a fertilizer and a “preemergent weed killer”,,, in other words, I’m thinking it’s GLYPHOSATE, a known carcinogen and one we would NEVER approve using on anything. Appalled that they continued the service from previous owners with NO ORDER from us. Now my dog has been sick since they were here. Btw, the company name is incredibly misleading. Since they use glyphosate, they’re anything but true green.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My lawn was in good condition, when I hired this company there was some wild grass starting to pop up. First issue is the inexperienced staff they send out. Second issue is I could see on camera that they didn't service the entire lawn during one of the visit; response was, "We will talk to them" rather than come back out to remediate. Thirdly, I opted for no notification of service beforehand and by doing that they claimed no responsibility for adding a chemical that completely killed all the fescue seed. They should know the fall is the time to seed the grass. Is this not the expertise they are hired to possess? Spoke to management and they would not even pay to reseed. The soil is so bad now and most all the grass gone that I had to invest in installing new sod. Avoid this company. Do not be fooled by the commercials and what seems like a good price. You will pay far more in the end.

Original review: April 6, 2022

The first time they provided service, I watched them on my camera fertilize the house across the street. They went to the wrong house. I brought this to their attention stating this was unacceptable and needed to be corrected. I also alerted the neighbor that they presumably got fertilized. TruGreen returned a week later for a “free” service. To make it right. We have 3/4 acre of lawn. They not only purposely ignored over 1/2 of the lawn, they also NEVER went back to the truck to refill their spreader. My cameras showed an empty spreader for 90% of the time they were spreading. Furthermore, my cameras have him starting the job at 12:29 and finished, back to the truck, at 12:35. Six minutes to fertilize 3/4 acres. No spreader refills and intentionally neglecting more than 1/2 of our lawn (with a fake empty spreader). These people are the most dishonest service providers I have ever worked with.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I have unfortunately used Tru Green for about 3 years now. I first used them for lawn care, they aerated my lawn and ripped it to shreds including ripping my landscaping lights out of the ground. After calling their customer service department countless times they never sent anyone to fix the problem or did any follow up at all, just completely dismissed the issue even though the tech that did it , reported it to them while at my house. I was stuck with fixing the issue myself at my own expense.

I also this year had a new tech come for my tree and shrub service I stupidly kept, they send new techs almost every couple times, whatever they sprayed has killed my 15 year old evergreens and all my Azalea bushes, nice!!! I have been calling customer service for 2 weeks now , they have promised 6 times now someone from the local office will call me, they never do, same as last time. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL BE SORRY.!!!

Original review: March 31, 2022

Not professional. Don't lose your money and time. The BAD company. I am not happy my land looks bad. Not professional. Don't lose your money and time. The BAD company. I am not happy my land looks bad...

Original review: March 30, 2022

Last year we had treatment for bugs in the lawn. The next day, the grass started to turn brown. I put the sprinklers on and the water would not absorb because the ground was like cement, just laid on top. Despite numerous calls to local and regional TruGreen, I was told to call the main office. I did that and they said somebody would come out, and nobody did. I kept calling every few days and then they ghosted me. Our yard is still without grass or vegetation. TruGreen says they guarantee that you are satisfied or they will 'make it right'. When they did not respond, after a month and a half, I reversed the charges. Now they have put it into a collection agency. On Feb 3 I finally reached a man at TruGreen, named Matt. He assured me they would resolve the collection issue, but they have not done so.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I used their lawn service last year, was beyond dissatisfied, my lawn looked worse at the end of summer than before. I'm retired so I witnessed a few times that they came, mostly sat in their truck then made two or three quick passes, spent maybe two minutes in the application put out the signs and left. I jumped through all these hoops to cancel at the end of summer, well here they were yesterday, unannounced, made an application and charged my debit card. I called and was told that my card would not be charged, that I would receive a bill and would give me a discount. Not true, there is a full charge on my debit card this morning. This seems to be their method of operation, many unhappy customers.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Started with TruGreen mid summer 2020. I liked the updates and what was done with the lawn. Winter of 2020/21, I start getting invoices. Call customer service. Very polite people, definitely working the upsell though. The invoice was over $800. I paid $300 the previous year. I talked with the rep for roughly an hour to get the invoicing straightened out and also got the price dropped to $350. Same thing this year. $800+ invoice. I call again. Waste an hour of my life with their CSA who has to talk with a manager about authorizing a price. This time they wouldn't budge. Sorry, you need to be competitive with other lawn care services as well as the homeowner doing it himself. Which is what I'll be doing.

Original review: March 26, 2022

My experience with this company has been most frustrating. Depending upon the tech which they send out you can get honest and dependable service. Yesterday's service was more typical. I get a call from Trudy that they will do two services the next day...tree fertilization and horticultural oil. I'm home on the day they arrive so decide the watch the techs in action. The first tech shows up for tree fertilization, and the guy is a geezer just like me and it looks like he's going to die carrying around that hose. I have an acre yard with a lot of trees and after about five minutes in the back yard, looks at the remainder of the 15 trees in the back yard, gasps, and just decides not to do it. Also misses the one tree in distress in my front yard. Takes off about 25 minutes after arriving, at least half of which is rolling up the hose and writing the service ticket.

I then get a call from Trudy saying that Joseph has cancelled my second treatment the horticultural oil treatment because of "weather conditions" and will reschedule. Nonetheless at 345 the same day, a Friday afternoon, I see one of their techs rolling into my driveway (ignoring the no trucks sign) and it's Joseph, another senior citizen who should retire, or as I like to call him "Quick Draw" who I've mentioned to the company before, and specifically telling them I did not want this guy on my property. His specialty is spending as little time as possible doing the actual job and spending as much time sitting in his truck checking his mobile phone. He points his sprayer in the general direction of his targets, hitting some, missing most. His printer is always broken and never leaves a ticket. Alas, he "services" my one acre property in his usual 8 minute treatment and then retreats to the truck to check the cell phone.

After reviewing the comments on this site I now believe that this company is nothing more than slick marketing (PGA Tour marketing, etc.) which beguiles its customers into thinking they are getting something they can trust. Now I feel I have to watch them like a hawk to avoid being ripped off. A service manager is supposed to contact me, but the problem is bigger than that I fear.

Original review: March 24, 2022

We are so frustrated and feel completely disrespected by this company. My husband has been asking for a solution for the past 6 months. After multiple, admitted errors on their part (in writing and by phone), our lawn has continued to be a disgusting dirt patch. After they killed everything in our yard, we had to pay a different professional to have our yard re-seeded. My husband called to inform True Green and shared specific instructions (e.g. not to spray pre-emergent) and they have sprayed it multiple times since then, which stopped the new grass seed from taking/growing.

Each time, the person looking in the system acknowledged that these notes were captured on our account! Most recently, my husband gave them additional chances to remediate the situation (something they claimed to be working on) because we were in a time crunch and selling our house. We did not receive any solution or even an explanation as to why they were unable to assist. The focus of our battle will now solely be on getting reimbursed for the money we’ve spent servicing our own lawn, since our actual lawn servicing company has refused to help! We will make it very clear to all perspective buyers that the state of the lawn is due to these admitted errors by Tru Green.

Also, in closing, here are a couple things we’ve learned: 1-When you call the main customer service line and they finally agree to have a supervisor/manager contact you, they will not provide a direct call back number should you miss the call. The whole process starts back over. It is the equivalent of calling in to a cable company and having to start over every time.

2-the people that come out to complete the service seem not to have any access to the notes in the system! My husband has ran out to greet and check in with the last couple technicians only to find that their order was completely different than what was decided over the phone. One time, they told us they would be sending a manager to discuss next steps/ways to fix it, and they just sent a regular tech out who immediately began spraying without knocking on the door because he obviously had no knowledge of what was “scheduled” on the phone. He stopped as soon as my husband came out and explained the situation and apologized for the miscommunication. This is never their fault; the techs are usually so nice and understanding, but the company literally sets them up for failure due to their ineffective system. Overall, we are so upset that this company has added so much stress to an already stressful period of time.

Original review: March 21, 2022

TruGreen serviced my home in two different locations and while providing services in CT they attempted to seed my yard in 100 degree weather. I tried to stop it with no success. When I complained I was charged (twice), blamed, and for over 8-months I have tried to resolve the billing. I canceled the services and was contacted with a very rude person. I received a call from TruGreen corporate telling me they would finally credit me and they apologize; then another call a few days later telling me that they didn't make any billing or service mistakes and would not be credited. I have showed bank statements, documented conversation and still this nonsense. I have contacted the BBB and soon legal counsel. I WOULD NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND THIS UNPROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION.

Original review: March 12, 2022

20 years ago. They called my home. Spoke to my Mom. Stated they spoke to my Dad. That he wanted to set an appointment up. When my Dad did that for a living. Plus my Dad had just passed. I called them. Spoke to supervisors and managers. That the calls and mail would stop. It has not! Today hung up on twice. They are heartless and uncaring. I am not even a customer. And they don't care what I have to say.

Original review: March 12, 2022

TruGreen multiple times would say they are coming, say they were here at the residence or at our business, never show but send bills having never done anything. Every time I called (5 different times) the person would log the complaint and say they would send someone out to do it for me "this time". Would never show up but message me that the "tech has arrived" and "_____ has completed your lawn treatment." I canceled due to this never ending issue. A year later they call me back up wanting to make it up to me and did the EXACT SAME THING. DO NOT EVER GO WITH THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY!!

Original review: March 10, 2022

This year I wanted to get professional help with my yard since the last couple of years my lawn wasn’t looking so great. I decided to go with the True Green True/Complete Lawn Service. They said the first service is 50% off. They also said the aeration was a separate service. 2 days after signing up they scheduled 2 visits for one day. I have cameras installed around the whole house. In the morning, the technician performed the aeration. It seemed ok but I wish he hit the small part of grass on the other side of my driveway. I was good with the service though.

Later in the afternoon a technician arrived and I monitored while they took 2-3 minutes with a spreader for both front and back yard. I really did not feel confident about the quick trip around the front and back. The technician was at my house probably for a total of 10 minutes but about 3-4 of them was outside of the truck. Then I got 3 invoices. 1 for aeration, 1 for potash service using a spreader, and 1 for the true complete service using the spray with what I’m guessing is fertilizer and pesticide.

Well, as you can read, I did not see any type of spraying being done. I called and they tried telling me I received 3 services today. I literally have it all on camera that the afternoon technician only used a spreader for about 3 minutes and left. They ended up setting up the spray service 2 days later. They called it “free service.” How in the world is it free service when they already charged me for something they didn’t do. Also the promotion is 50% off for the first service but on the very first day they provided 3 separate services which ended up being around $230.

The aeration was about $150 and you only get 50% off of one of the other services. That was very sneaking of them but if that’s how they do business, ok then. The point is if I didn’t have cameras I would have never caught them charging me for a service that they did not do. So now that I read a bunch of other reviews with similar stories, it is not a lie. I’m off to a really bad start with True Green. I have 7 more services this year. Hopefully they can turn it around but my first impression of them is not good at all and I am already regretting the move to use a lawn service this year.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

People it’s almost spring time, DO NOT attempt to call TruGreen. You will be so disappointed, they will keep coming unannounced and don’t do the job, just sit in the truck and leave a sign in your yard. I have seen them on my CPI camera and neighbors have witnessed also. They will say they’ve down your front and back yard when they don’t go around the back. Every time you call for a manager, they say the manager will give you a call but never do. DO NOT go with trugreen!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I had my tree and shrubs application done by TruGreen on 12/10/21, few days later my shrubs discolored and then died, after multiple calls a tech was sent, he stated it was not due to the application. But I have had previous service and nothing happened to my shrubs. Fast forward 1/11/22, tree and shrubs application was done and now rest of my shrubs are discolored and appear to be dying the rest that was not affected with the December treatment. I have called multiple times to speak to trugreen regarding my dissatisfaction. Please be careful with this company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I received a text stating that the technician had arrived at my residence. My wife was home and I told her to watch them because they are known for not doing any work. I also watched through my Ring camera as the truck was parked in front of my home for about 6 minutes when I received another text that the work was completed. I watched the technician as he got out of his truck and placed a sign in my yard. Then he got in the truck and drove away. I then received a 2 page report of all the work that was done to my yard. It's amazing that he did all of that and never left his truck! Really gifted technicians with super powers. Don't they know this is the age of cameras? LOL.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information