3.98/5
Based on 952 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

TruGreen Lawn Care Video
TruGreen Lawn Care Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 19, 2018

3919 TruGreen Lawn Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

There's a reason why I continually request Josh ** as the only technician to treat our lawn: he's punctual, professional, knowledgeable and courteous. Josh represents the best that TruGreen has to offer. Please let Josh and his boss know how much I appreciate his service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

We thank you Phyllys for taking the time to review your services. If you would like, you can visit www.trugreen.com and complete the specialist survey in the feedback section of your "my account" page.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 12, 2018

My yard did have several yellow spots last year. However, it looks much better this year due to diligent efforts of the new tech (**). He deserves a 5 star rating for his works. However, I rate 4 star because the payment is a little bit pricey.

Hi Van,

We are pleased that you are happy with your lawn! Thanks for the feedback.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Used TruGreen last year and they completely messed up my lawn. A week after they came and "serviced" my lawn there were dead patches everywhere not to mention they did a horrible job. I watched them from my window purposely skip parts of my yard. I will NEVER use them again and would recommend people do not use them. They did NOT handle the problem in a professional manner and "forced" me to still pay. TruGreen, more like Tru-Scam!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had a one year subscription with TruGreen. I sold my house prior to the end of my contract and let the current homeowner benefit for six months of service that was paid for. I notified TruGreen when they called that I had sold the house and did not want to continue service once the subscription was over. Today, I had to pay an additional 167.00 that was sent to a collection agency for service that I did not agree to. I will never work with this company in the future. I also requested for a manager to call to discuss the situation. Instead of a manager, I got a call from a collection agency. Oh by the way, when TruGreen called I owed 68.00 but when the collection agency called I owed 167.00.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2018

April, 9, 2018... I hired TruGreen on March 2018 because they are well-known. Anyway, I just recently purchased their services and I believed that I would get a personal touch. I believed that a technician would come to my door, speak with other, myself or my wife and get to know our lawn and touch base with my concerns and needs. NOPE! The technician came out while I was at work and wife at home. I left gate opened and according to my wife, he just went straight to work. Was there maybe 10ish minutes and poof, gone like the wind. No knock on the door to announce his arrival, not even a “Hello (insert name), I’m about to enter your property, what concerns do you have today?”

The technician left a note of what he did and left. I can hire Jimmie nobody with that kind of service. When it comes to their customer service, they hire VERY friendly people who seem to make sure your concerns get documented and manager called me back in a timely fashion. The manager said that the technician told him that he knocked on my door, but no answer. Wow! Was that a bold face lie. As far as my grass goes in its early stages, the weeds are almost gone, except a few that he missed, but manager said he will address those at his next visit. Ok... Overall, the service is quick, and easy and they don’t leave any mess behind. I will update this post in 6 months and see if things change. Hope this review helped.

Hi Les,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very sorry to hear that our level of service failed to meet both your and our standards. We want to assure you that we take your concerns very seriously. Please send us a private message, with your customer information, so we may assist you and address this matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 6, 2018

I used this service for two years. The parts of my yard that they actually sprayed looked great. I caught them more not fertilizing my backyard on at least three occasions. The first occasion the manager tried to tell me I was mistaken because the tech said he did it and wouldn’t lie. After a day the manager from Franklin Mass called me back and apologized and said the tech was confused and said he missed the backyard. He immediately sent the tech back out and the situation was resolved. The manager was extremely nice and provided his cell phone for any future issues.

The next spring my service was transferred to Chelmsford Mass. Twice throughout the year the tech skipped my backyard. I sent email after email and never got a response. At the end of the year TruGreen called trying to get me to re-up for a third year. When I told them about my issues, the great resolution was a 15 dollar refund. I was paying over 200 a year for their service and almost every time I was home I caught them not fertilizing the area I paid for. I would not recommend this service to anyone. I paid for service I didn’t receive and spent hours waiting for return calls and emails that never came until they wanted me to pay up for another year. For the same price you can do it yourself.

Hi John,

We take our responsibility to you very seriously, and we are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this issue, we would like to speak with you directly. Please message us privately so we can assist you.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I got a call from a customer service representative about signing up for the service. I told him we are already TruGreen customers. He had the audacity to ask for my name to "verify" my claim. We may not continue to be TruGreen customers next year.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I received a promotional advertising in the mail. I called to ask about the service and the salesman asked for a credit card number before explaining the service. When I asked what service does this company provide- he hung up. I called back and spoke to a different salesperson. I explained that the first person hung up and I only wanted to understand what service TruGreen is providing. The advertisement I received states that, “36 of your neighbors already have TruGreen lawns” so I asked if I can have references. She gave me the runaround, and could not answer the simplest questions that any contractor would be happy to provide in order to promote their business. My feeling is that this is a predatory scam business at best. Who would agree to a year long lawn care contract without being able to confirm references? Buyer beware.

Hi Bob,

We appreciate your feedback, and we are very sorry to learn that our customer support team did not address your service issues effectively and compassionately. We completely understand your frustration, and we would love the opportunity to correct any problems you might have had with our service. Please message us privately. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this matter may have caused.

Original review: April 4, 2018

9 months of service TruGreen (Scotts) is still addressing weeds and ant mounds in my lawn. Finally they have attempted after many calls and emails to rid the weeds from my lawn. Now i can have parts of my lawn replaced (4 Pallets of sod).

Hi Lynn,

We take our responsibility to you very seriously, and if you have any questions or concerns with your TruGreen service, please message us privately so we can assist you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I guess I'm just fed up. My husband pays for this service and on several occasions they would come out say they treated the yard and never came in the back. Sometimes I work from home and my office is the back room where I can see anyone who would be in the yard, but they were never back there. My most recent complaint is the last time they came out and treated the yard, I was here and they did treat the yard, but my dog has been having reactions ever since. When calling TruGreen to get the name of the chemical used so that I can inform my Vet, they have no records of them coming out. We have a bill for that day, and it says we received TruHealth Lawn Service, yet the rep on the phone found no records of us receiving treatment that day, is it because we started the call off with our pet is having a reaction to the chemical?

And now so conveniently they have no record, even though I was here, can describe both guys, the time frame they came and we have a bill for that day? As a pet owner, this is disheartening and I just want to know what was used so that I can have my dog properly treated but I guess you guys don't care about that. And we were told a manager may not get back to us until next Monday, a whole 6 days away and we are calling about the welfare of our dog, REALLY? We are CANCELLING your service. Treatment date 3/21/2018 my dog has been having issues as of that day. Hmm, no record of the service??? The customer number on the billing for this service will be provided in the "order number" in this complaint form. Statement date of 3/22/2018, the day after the service, total due $46.95, but you have no record of this service and you can't help me help my dog.

Hi Antoinetta,

We appreciate your feedback, and we are very sorry to learn that our support team did not address your issues effectively and compassionately. We completely understand your frustration, and we would love the opportunity to correct any problems you might have had with our service. Please message us privately. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this matter may have caused.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Prepaid $581 for 1 year contract. My front yard is sod and they did manage to control the weeds. My back and side yards did not benefit one bit from TruGreen. Back and side yards look no better than my neighbors that did nothing. When asked to prepay for another year, I declined so they just showed up and did a treatment anyway, then billed me for $51. I went ahead and paid because that's easier than trying to argue with an unscrupulous company. DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your comments. We are very sorry to hear about your experience with us. We work hard to maintain a standard of excellence, and we agree that the event you described is very troubling. We would appreciate the opportunity to correct any outstanding issues. Please message us privately with your customer information. We will be more than happy to assist you. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Mike ** was knowledgeable and we went over the plan and walked the areas to be worked on. The first application was done and I feel confident my lawn will look good and be healthy in the coming months. Looking forward to seeing good results.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi, Pat! We take great pride in bringing you the best science-based lawn care products and services. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I just had my first lawn treat by TruGreen. The operator was clean cut, well spoken and was very professional. Before he started the application, he explained what he was going to do and what chemicals he would be using. Would have him back anytime.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 27, 2018

Before using TruGreen my yard had two problem areas. TruGreen said it was a easy fix. They killed my entire lawn! We have nothing even after they seeded this fall. They are horrible. And customer service is doesn’t respond either! I just want my beautiful lawn back.

Hi Brooke,

We take pride in bringing you the best science-based lawn care products and services, so your feedback is very concerning. We are eager to work with you to correct the issues with your experience, and we would like to connect with you at your earliest convenience. Please send us a private message with your customer information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 24, 2018

Where do I start on this. Had TruGreen start to treat our lawn to fix it. They came and treated our trees and bushes without us knowing and kill a bush and avocado tree in the backyard. Had sod laid down by them and was told after 30 days would come back out to inspect and fix any areas that didn’t take. Was able to talk to the manager and said they would get someone which they never did. More than a couple times they have come out and said they “treated” the whole lawn but would’ve been impossible since gate to the backyard was locked. They also didn’t treat the backyard once when my fiancée was home and watched them. I insisted that they make sure I’m home when they treated but they never did. This was back in July of 2017. Needless to say service was cancelled.

Fast forward to March 2018 and have had numerous calls with them insisting a manager would call me back but it has yet to happen. Right now one side of my backyard has died off. Weeds took over in the areas that didn’t take and overall yard looks like crap. (And if you are wondering TruGreen, the weeds took hold even while you were supposedly “treating” so don’t get the idea it was because I cancelled service.) The company basically comes down to once they get their money they don’t give a care about their product or service. Highly disappointed and still waiting for it to get fixed. Let’s see if the manager calls on Monday when they said they will call next when I last hated with them. I would give 0 stars but unfortunately this site won’t let me to post a review.

Hi Timothy,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave valuable feedback, and we apologize for the experience detailed in your review. We are very disappointed to learn that our customer support team did not handle your case with the care and efficiency that our customers deserve. We understand that you may be frustrated, but if you could please give us the opportunity to correct the issues with our service, we will do our best to make the situation right. Please send us a private message so we can assist you.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Both William ** and asst. Matt were efficient and informative about what products they were using and why. They did their jobs and explained to me why each lawn enhancer was being used. We should be seeing great results soon, due to the recent rain and snow. As usual, we are very pleased with your services.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you, Anne. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience with TruGreen!

Original review: March 22, 2018

He came, he took care of the lawn, he left, and left me the bill. He was a nice young man. This is a normal performance from TruGreen. From placing the order, scheduling the visit, the visit, everything went well.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thanks for the excellent feedback, William!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I never spoke with the employee who did my initial service. The only information I received was a note on a service ticket that was left on my front door. The ticket left a note on what chemicals were applied, no other comments. I have no idea what he/she thinks of my lawn.

Hi Wayne,

Original review: March 20, 2018

The service I receive from Rob our technician is excellent. He is polite, thorough and very professional. Since Rob took over servicing our lawn, it has never looked better. I take great pride in the condition and appearance and Rob sure rises to making me very satisfied.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Gary!

Original review: March 18, 2018

After 13 months of treatment by TruGreen in Cary, NC, my once-lush front lawn is now almost all dead on one side, and the other is headed that way. The backyard had large dead spots in it, too. I have no idea how they did it. Last fall, they aerated and over-seeded, and during the entire year (including up to the last visit), they sprayed whatever it is they spray. Sometime in the fall, they spread something on the lawn, as well.

When I asked why my lawn was dead and dying, the service person looked at it and said perhaps the neighbor's Zoysia from across the street had spread to our yard. The dead spots don't look anything like dormant Zoysia. There was no attempt to remedy the situation or apologize for the mess. I canceled my service immediately. I recommend to others that you forget these lawn services, especially TruGreen, and do it yourself. The best looking lawns in our neighborhood are maintained by the owners, the worst by lawn services.

Hi John,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave valuable feedback, and we apologize for the experience detailed in your review. We are very disappointed to learn that our support team did not handle your case with the care and efficiency that our customers deserve. We understand that you may be frustrated, but if you could please give us the opportunity to correct the issues with our service, we will do our best to make the situation right. Please message us directly. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Prepaid March 2017. The only good thing about TruGreen is that they are prompt. That being said, my yard had more weeds in this past year than any other year I’ve been living in this house. I ended up using a Bayer product that attaches to my hose and it killed the weeds in a few days. This is all but a moot point. The real disturbing issue I have is that TruGreen uses what they call an auto-renewal policy. This policy states that you have to contact them and cancel their service. If you don’t they will show up and continue service. Initially when I was setting up the service you would think that they would disclose this fact. They don’t. When you get your statement for the first time there is a page two that you have to pay close attention to. Be aware of your state laws in regards to auto-renewal of contracts. For example, I looked up auto-renewal laws under nc.gov. HB 502 was the first entry to come up.

These laws govern companies such as TruGreen and detail each step TruGreen must take before they can charge a customer in a new year. What’s interesting is that I’ve spoken to their billing department on several occasions and asked for their proof of the last statement they sent to me. This statement by law is to notify me of their auto-renewal policy. They did send a copy which was dated mid-October. Then I have sent them 3 emails asking them what was the date of the new cycle year. Amazingly I have had no reply to my request. NC state law requires TruGreen to notify me no later than 14 days and no earlier than 45 days prior to the new cycle beginning which from all that I’ve read is Jan 1st. Now if you do the math that doesn’t meet NC law. So now I’m in limbo and hopefully by writing this complaint somebody from TruGreen can return my emails and explain to me why they can’t handle this issue.

Hi Matt,

We appreciate your feedback. We were very sorry to learn that your experience with our customer support team was unsatisfactory, and we apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced as a result. We work hard to provide a first-rate, customer-focused experience, so it’s very disappointing to hear that we have not met our own standards in your case. Please message us directly, so we can resolve your issues as soon as possible.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 17, 2018

After contacting TruGreen in regards to mole crickets, I was assured service by end of week. As caregiver for my elderly parents, I explained it was necessary for me to be contacted as to when technician would be coming, as I need to open gate and be home. Week went by, no call, no technician. Left 2 messages for my local supervisor and an e-mail, no response. Following week, while I was out with my parents, my son called me to say that the TruGreen tech was there. No call, no advance warning, like I requested. Tech did his thing and left me the paperwork on what was done. No pesticides to work on mole crickets, but fertilized. What happened to my mole cricket request? Called customer service, and then spoke to my local supervisor, who told me told me I would get a call to handle the mole crickets.

Customer service had told me there was a TruGreen app, that would show me when tech was on his way, my local supervisor, did not tell me about it, because he was unaware of it!! Days go by, no call. I called customer service again, spoke to Amanda, who assured me she would handle. By the way, there were no notes in my account about calling me before arriving. A week goes by, no call from TruGreen. I call customer service again, spoke to Eric. Now Eric said that he was very sorry for my lack of response, and after explaining how his "team" is all about customer service and he PROMISED that he would positively get back to me in max 2 days.

Guess what? NO CALL!!! A national brand NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. I had paid in full for the year, which I am now requesting a full refund. Not quite sure how TruGreen stays in business. I was a brand new customer, and was not given the common courtesy of a follow up call! I strongly suggest that those seeking a lawn care service to avoid TruGreen.

Hi Joyce,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave valuable feedback, and we apologize for the experience detailed in your review. We are very disappointed to learn that our customer support team did not handle your case with the care and efficiency that our customers deserve. We understand that you may be frustrated, but if you could please give us the opportunity to correct the issues with our service, we will do our best to make the situation right. Please message us directly. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Brenda ** has been servicing our trees and shrubs for quite a long time. Great service and beautiful results. Would recommend to anyone who wants healthy trees and shrubs. Also have lawn service and the tech Ron does a great job.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for your positive feedback, William!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Horrible customer service. I called in November requesting my services to be canceled, they said that I had two services remaining for the year 2017 so they could go ahead and do those for a discounted price of $30, I said sure but after that I want the services canceled. They said, "Sure thing, we will contact you at the start of the New Year to see if you would like to start services again at that time," I said okay. Here we are in March, no phone call or anything, sounds okay, right? WRONG! I come home from work and there is a receipt for $60.00 on my door stating a service was performed.

I stated in November I wanted my account canceled, I received no phone call, no email, nothing in the mail stating a service would be performed in March because as far I was concerned my account was canceled, I only received a receipt on the door and an email stating the service had been completed. I called TruGreen and they refuse to credit my account for this service that I did not want. If we ever decided to use a lawn care company again, I can guarantee it will not be with this company. My parents had the same issue with them years ago but I gave them the benefit of the doubt, boy was I wrong to do so!!! I have since spoken to someone on the phone and chat both of which refuse to credit my account for the full amount to where I owe nothing. All they have done is credit my account for half the cost of the service, which I never wanted or requested in the first place.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I am writing this review to warn other homeowners of TruGreen's subpar work. After our new lawn was laid we hired Scotts Lawn Care to manage the pest and weed control etc. Scotts did a wonderful job. The lawn was lush and green for a year. They were then taken over by TruGreen. Our lawn, within a few months looked terrible. After repeated call outs because of fungus and dead patches everywhere, and no one with any knowledge to fix the problem, they had to replace part of it. They did this with plugs rather than new sod. 4 months later it still looked terrible with other parts of the lawn dying also. Every complaint was met with a call out and promises to resolve the problem, however, the issues were never solved.

Our yard now looks terrible after spending a fortune on new sod only 2 years ago. My neighbor also used the same service, Scotts and then TruGreen. They also had the same experience. Their lawn looks dead too. We were both meticulous about watering and at the correct time of day. Needless to say, after more than a year of excuses and bad grass we have let them go.

Hi Leigh,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that our level of service failed to meet both your and our standards. We want to assure you that we take your concerns very seriously. We would like to speak to you about resolving your concerns. Please message us directly so we can assist you.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I tried TruGreen years ago and they did a good job, so I decided to try them again after years of taking care of my lawn myself. They informed me of the day they were coming so I stayed home and waited for them so I could put my dog in the garage. They never showed up. I called the company and they said they didn't have me on the schedule for the day. They rescheduled for a week later. When the guy showed up to spray my lawn, he sat in his truck for 20 minutes. I had to walk up to his truck before he would get out.

10 days later my weeds were still growing strong but my garden plants started to die. I scheduled a respray and again they didn't show up. I never received a respray. They showed up a week later to do my final spray. I told them I wanted to cancel my account. Since then I have received many phone calls from the company asking me how their service was. So many calls it has become annoying. I tell them about my experience and instead of fixing their mistakes they just offer me more services like aeration and bug treatment. I wish I never would have called them in the first place.

Hi Brandi,

Original review: March 15, 2018

Got a prompt response after I inquire about their services, they explain all the plans they had and was able to enroll. Very efficient. On their first visit they provided a very detail report. Waiting to see results, but they have informed me about all the work they are doing and products they are using; I am very pleased with the service.

Hi Magda,

Thank you for the positive feedback! If you have any questions, or we can assist you in any way, please message us directly.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Not worth the money and hard sell. I tried them twice. The lawn was never worse than when they handled it. They're always willing to send someone out but nothing ever improves. They burned the lawn and didn't know why. When I foolishly tried them again the guy told me they changed the chemicals used. Truth? They auto-renew your services and bill you. If you try and cancel they then want to offer a discount. How about give you that price from the get go! Stay away. Support your little local business owner not this big corporate monster!

Hi Todd,

We take pride in bringing you the best science-based lawn care products and services, so your feedback is very concerning. Please message us directly, so we may resolve your issue.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Excellent communication and professionalism. Received a follow up phone call after the tree and shrub care service with a detailed explanation of what was done. I am pleased with the service from the technician and the sales representative. I look forward to a continued positive relationship with TruGreen as services are completed throughout the year.

Hi Joseph,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave positive feedback! Thank you!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Contacted local company to apply herbicides and fertilizer last year and ending early 2018. New sod was installed early summer and I ask them to start later in season which they did. After applications of herbicides I notice grass had weeds and grass green was fading. Thought changes were due to season. In February crew came to apply Barricade and Potassium, which they did. Weeds never died. Called company again and they reapplied. I called and ask for someone to check yard... they didn't. I canceled services and requested refund... THEY REFUSED. My grass looks like it dying and weeds are very much alive.

Hi Katrina,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that our level of service failed to meet both your and our standards. We want to assure you that we take your concerns very seriously. Please contact us directly on our website, with your phone number and address, so we may resolve your issue to your complete satisfaction.

TruGreen Lawn Care expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TruGreen was founded in 1973 in Troy, Mich. Today, the company headquarters are located in Memphis, Tenn. The company applies science-based solutions to meet residential and commercial lawn care needs.

• Scientific approach: TruGreen employs several individuals with Ph.Ds. in horticulture and other relevant subjects. These individuals design service offerings and training programs so that all TruGreen technicians fully understand the science behind lawn care.

• Service options: Interested customers can visit TruGreen’s website to learn about the variety of service plans the company offers. All plans include a Healthy Lawn Analysis®, targeted weed control and fertilizer. Some plans also include aeration and/or lime treatment to balance the pH in customers’ soil.

• PGA provider: Trugreen is the official lawn care provider of the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA). In addition to caring for the greens of PGA Championship courses, the company offers deals to PGA members.

• Community involvement: TruGreen is committed to creating green spaces for everyone to enjoy. Local offices have planted flowers and grass around public schools in Los Angeles and helped to improve landscaping at Memphis parks. In spring of 2016, the company helped to create a community vegetable garden and fruit orchard in Lansing, Mich.

• Tree and shrub care: Customers who are interested in improving the health and appearance of their trees and shrubs can add specific services to their TruGreen plans. Options include root fertilization, pest control, spring feeding and targeting trunk injection, which corrects nutrient imbalances.

• Best for: TruGreen offers services to meet most customers’ needs and budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs