toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

TruGreen Lawn Care

Lawrence, we are pleased to hear that Ray has provided excellent customer service and your results have been satisfactory. I have forwarded your compliment to management. Thank you for choosing TruGreen.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

The service was excellent and the specialist was Ray **. He was very knowledgeable and courteous. Service was very professional and lawn is looking good. Ray provided some good insight on my lawn care and gave me some good information to assist my lawn care quality.

TruGreen Lawn Care

Michael, thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your service specialist Andy. I have forwarded your compliment to his superiors. Thank you for choosing TruGreen

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

The lawn specialists are courteous and professional, which is a plus these days? My lawn specialist, Andy, makes it a point to briefly touch base with me during his visits. I like being able to put a face on the individuals who are regularly servicing my property.

TruGreen Lawn Care

Dr. Jaffe, we are pleased to hear that your specialists have provided exemplary services and your are satisfied with your experience. We appreciate your taking the taking the time to provide a review.. We look forward to servicing you in 2017! ~Karissa

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I was extremely happy with your service and would without doubt recommend your service. Your tech was extremely knowledgeable, courteous and likable. I have utilized a number of other services and I am truly glad that I finally commissioned TruGreen.

I recommend TruGreen for all the lawn and shrub care. They are professional and answer any questions that you have. They deal with fungus in the lawn and crabgrass. They give advice and ideas for dealing with your particular type of grass. Great company.

Good company to take care of landscaping. They are worth the money. I have used them for 1 season and have seen improvement in the growth and health of our landscape materials. Until I see otherwise, I would recommend them highly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

TruGreen Lawn Care

Hello Hua, my name is Karissa and I am the social media coordinator for the corporate office. We are truly sorry to see that you are concerned that you had issues with billing that were in essence left unresolved, we can understand why that is concerning for you. In reviewing your account I noticed a few things on your program 7RND+GRUB+AER/OVRSEED:

1) Your Lawn Services were $600.6 before the 10% pp dsc (-60.06)=$540.54. Your account shows as having made a lump sum payment of $490.15. In order to have the prepay discount, the full amount must be paid. Therefore in your case, your applications remained $29.95 for the first application, $55.95 for the remaining 7, and $179 for the aeration.

2) 6 of your 8 lawn applications were completed (That's 1 for $29.95+ 5 ($55.95)=$309.7

3)Aeration was completed 9/24= $179.00

4) When you combine the sum of, 3) and 4) above... it is a total of $488.70. You paid a lump sum in August of $490.15.

5) Fertilizer/Weed control applications are completed every 4-6 weeks.

6) Expanded services such as the grub and the aeration can be completed the same day as a fertilizer, as listed on you welcome aboard letter, since the two do not counteract. If they're not done on the same day, the two can still be completed within the 4-6 week intervals of the fertilizers.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

When I signed up the lawn service in Aug 2015, and I made the prepayment. In less than 4 months, Trugreen billed me for 7 service and depleted the prepayment fund. I am amazed at how Trugreen treats its customer, and while I have complained through the customer service representative, I received not apologies and action to remedy the situation.

Factual basis uncertain

We had high hopes based on the initial sales people ensuring that they would achieve better than sod results for less money. The company's first mistake was applying crabgrass preventer too late. By early summer, we had a patchy lawn of healthy, green crabgrass with several bare spots that turned to mud when we watered in the fertilizer treatments. The company doesn't apply any seed until fall, so our lawn looked bad all season despite our regular watering to combat the drought and encourage any already existent grass to flourish. When it was time to aerate and seed, the tech skipped seeding about one third of our lawn, and we experienced a low germination rate from the rest of the seed even though we followed care instructions.

After all this, we received a notice of renewal of our service plan. When I called to cancel that, the phone rep talked me into signing up to have a manager call me. The manager was supposed to make an appt with me to come out and see what could be done to remedy our lawn. Today, weeks after my call to customer service, I had heard nothing from any manager or any other rep of the company, but a tech pulled up and sprinkled on more fertilizer. He left a note that said he'd knocked although he didn't. I contacted the company again via their online contact form about the situation and received only a voice mail confirming my account was now cancelled. So much for satisfaction guarantee. I wish we had just chosen sod in the first place.

Factual basis uncertain

poor quality, I had 3 homes with them all 3 the yards look awful. They also use up all your services so you are not really getting a year paid when you pay upfront for the year. They basic used up all my services by running the very close together and then left me the last 3 mos. of the year with no service. They say every 6 weeks but as a routine they come every 3-4 and use up all the services if you pay in advance to get a discount. On top of that they are in and out and don't really care about your lawn. It's a Walmart of the lawn world. I would have rather paid more and gotten better people that cared and did not run a billing scam like I experienced.

Factual basis uncertain

We are paying for the entire lawn to be serviced but they are only treating the front yard. We have a privacy fence with a rock in front of the gate only. They will not go to the backyard. They have charged us for the entire application and will not refund the money for the part of yard they didn't service. They said, "Well, it's too late now. We will not refund your money. We are sending this to Collections".

TruGreen Lawn Care

Kyle, we apologize if there is any discrepancy with the billing, we can understand how that is concerning for you. I see that you called to cancel the program on 8/18. The service was completed 7/22. The automated trudy call was provided the day before the application was completed and I was unable to locate a call in afterwards requesting that the service not be completed. Had anyone reviewed with you our TruGreen guarantee which states we will retreat at no additional charge in between regular visits if you contact us about your concerns?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED! I hired them specifically for treating webworms and powdery mildew. They said they could control. After preparing for first year I still had same webworm issue. They said treatment started too late. I prepaid another year. No better. Then they treated again without me knowing and sent me bill. I refused to pay and said they would refund. They sent to collections and would not reverse.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Jan. 16, 2017

My customer service rep called within minutes of receiving a response here from TruGreen. She apologized profusely and offered to waive the fee for the first two applications of 2017, and also assured me that she had checked into it, and that the previous tech assigned to me is no longer with the company, so I will be starting fresh with a new tech. She emailed me her contact information and encouraged me to contact her directly if there are any additional issues. Knowing how she took care of me last year, I feel confident that any future issues that may occur will be resolved and look forward to continued service with TruGreen.

TruGreen Lawn Care

Hello Kayla, I am the social media coordinator for the corporate office. We are sorry to see that you have had a less than satisfactory experience. As our services automatically renew from year to year, we do not want for you to transition into next year with such concerns. If you could please compose a private message with your address and customer # I can make the branch aware of your issue and request a new specialist just in case that is the cause of your dismay...allowing the matter to be researched more in depth

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I purchased TruGreen services for my husband's Father's Day gift. The first time they were supposed to come out, they didn't. I called customer service, and they had someone come out a couple days later, a tech who explained that the previous tech was known for saying he completed jobs that he didn't. A couple months into our contract, my husband was out of work from an injury so I called to cancel our service. Customer service graciously offered to waive our treatment fees for the last two treatments of the year, which was definitely above & beyond my expectations... However, they did not come out for the last treatment of the season after saying they would. Not sure if I'll be renewing our contract next year.

While I believe TruGreen is overall a good company, my limited experience has given me mixed feelings. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they didn't show up for 2 of 5 treatments this year. While customer service went above & beyond my expectations, the actual treatment itself was mediocre. The weeds in the front yard ARE mostly gone, but I think I'd prefer to pay a service that I can rely on to show up.

We had TruGreen for about six years for lawn and shrub maintenance. They did well in the beginning for a number of years. Last year they got paid $1080.28 and we ended up with a lawn full of weeds, crabgrass and large bald areas where we lost the grass to cinch bugs. We will no longer contract with them and feel that we have been screwed by them. When they come out to respond to a problem they had been just making one excuse after another. Our lawn is a source of embarrassment now in our neighborhood.

The person spraying my lawn was not doing the area I had agreed with the sale person on. I called a number of times to address the situation and invited TruGreen to come out and inspect my lawn as there was a color change in my grass where the application was being ended. After dozens of calls they agreed to refund my last two applications of the season. I still had to keep on them as nothing was ever done - I have spent hours on the phone - placed on hold - disconnected on - I just wanted my lawn done. My front lawn looked great, but I have heard from many people that the applicators they hire just don't care and short change the customers by not doing what they are supposed to do. I guess next year I will go back to doing it myself as I can trust myself to do what I am.

I rarely post comments on websites. However, I would just like to recommend TruGreen to anyone whom would like a better lawn. I was home when the specialist (Tony **) came to my door to explain what he was going to do that afternoon. After leaving him to do his job a few minutes later he knocked on the door again. Tony explained to me that with all the moisture on my lawn due to rain the chemicals would be diluted and not be as effective. He rescheduled my service the next day. Long story short he could've just sprayed and left without saying a word. I would've never thought twice about it. TruGreen should be proud to know that they have someone like Tony to represent their brand!

We used TruGreen for several years without problem until this past 2016 summer. They continued to place chemical treatment on our lawn and failed to detect major fungus growth that ruined our lawn. Other neighbors next us (either using competitor services or in some cases no service at all) had beautiful lawns with the exception of ours. After I called to complain (which was a protracted event to have someone call back) they continued to treat the lawn with their program chemicals when the problem of "brown patch" disease was decimating our lawn. Ultimately we had to secure the services of another local lawn company to re-seed the lawn at our expense. TruGreen billing department is detached and has no consideration for the consumer. Service response was lousy and ineffective. We are done and moving onto a local service who cares about customer relationship and results.

From the the very first contact, I felt uneasy. The person wanted my credit card almost immediately and I explained I prefer to talk to someone in person at my property. I wanted to be able to point out issues with my lawn and discuss them with someone knowledgeable. They did send someone but this guy didn't seem all that knowledgeable but did walk the property with me. We discussed what was needed and I agreed to start the service. He told me there would be 5 visits to my property and told me the cost and wanted my credit card. I complied and watched him write down my cc number and expiration date. I guess they are not very technologically advanced. I asked him about this and all he could offer was; I will get a receipt later. Needless to say, I was feeling a bit uneasy but he already had my cc info so I let it go.

From the very beginning I started getting phone calls trying to sell me additional services. Some of the people calling were borderline rude. One wanted to sell me some insect control because he found spider mites in the trees. He was very pushy but eventually I got him to agree to meet me on my property to show me the evidence before I would shell out any more money. I should have known but I gave him the benefit of doubt. He never showed up. This is bad enough but to make it worse, I actually had to take time off work to meet him. Again, not too happy about this. When I talked to TruGreen, all they could say was "sorry". Even though I found out later I did not have to pay for all the treatment up front, I continued to the end of the year.

Now that the season is over and all treatments have been applied, I canceled the service. This is another disappointing conversation. When I called and asked to cancel my service the person on the phone insisted on asking why I was canceling. I was in a hurry and didn't want to explain all this at that time. The person ended up hanging up on me so I called back. I got a different person but she was able to confirm there was a cancellation order for my account. I ask for a confirmation number and was told they don't have them but I could have her employee number instead. I took down the number and hoping for the best. During one of the calls I ask them to take me off their email list and they supposedly complied. As of now I'm still getting emails so my best guess is they are instructed to agree to remove email addresses but really have no way to do it. Overall I was quite disappointed in the services and would never ask them back.

My lawn had severe brown spots all over. We did not know what was causing the problem. Had applied products based on recommendations from local services only to find out that they were making the problem worse. DJ from TruGreen came by to investigate our lawn and immediately identified the problem and informed me that all the things that I had been advised to do was making the brown spots worse. We had used TruGreen in the past and DJ was the specialist that treated our lawn and we had one of the best looking in the neighborhood. I trust all my future lawn treatment to TruGreen and DJ.

Today I canceled the TruGreen service that I have had for two years. I always had a bit of trouble scheduling the service (didn't want chemicals going down while the lawn cutters were there, or during periods of intense drought), but this was the last straw. I asked for the latest possible final treatment of the year, as I needed to clear the lawn of leaves. I was scheduled for Dec. 5. On Nov. 21 the automated "Trudy" told me the serviceman would be there Nov. 23. I called Customer Service to remind them that I was expecting service on Dec. 5. On Nov. 30, a serviceman appeared (in a pouring rain) to do the last treatment. I canceled it and told him that I wanted my service canceled entirely. On Dec. 2, a serviceman came while I was at work and did the service anyway.

This summer, a TruGreen agent toured my yard (again while I was at work, and without my permission) and left me a note outlining all the insect pests I had (including psyllids on some boxwood shrubs that had been installed just two weeks earlier), and offering the company's services to eradicate them. To me, that's not an upsell. That's trespassing. And lying, since I had the landscaper back to inspect the boxwood shrubs and he found no evidence of psyllids. I might excuse more of this if my lawn looked appreciably better, but it doesn't.

I strongly advise against using TruGreen. I just learned they treated our 15k square feet at the cost of 31,070 square feet for 5 years. Every phone number directs customers to service representative who has no authority and offers no help. They can only "send message to district manager." Even after escalation, manager still never called back. Our case was mysteriously closed before a manager ever called us to resolve issue. Still trying to get a refund. I write this review because TruGreen and Scotts have merged. If the company was careless, inaccurate, and hard to work with before, I believe it will only get worse as it grows in size.

Came home the other day to discover that TruGreen of Newport News had opened my closed gate in the front yard and without my knowledge or consent entered on my property and sprayed harmful chemicals all over the place. The local manager explanation would indicate that they can enter upon any property, locked or not, and spray chemicals without warning and there's nothing the owner can do about it. When I mentioned lawsuit, the manager offered to come to my home and spray additional chemicals. They did not offer to neutralize or clean the chemical contamination or compensate me for doing so. When I mentioned suing for damages, he said they have many lawyers ready. Bottom line: these folks have no respect for property rights or threatening the health of their victims. Don't do business with them if you have children or pets.

Poor seeding work. Spotty at best. Promised to reseed. Rescheduled several time. Even when I told them I raked the leaves to ensure good coverage and never shown up. Always had excuses. Got my seed cost $100 refunded but the cost of watering and leaf removal was over $300. Next time will use a local service that will do it when I asked to be done. I think they had more work that they could handle so the quality of the device suffers.

TruGreen serviced my lawn for 6 months. I maintained their recommend watering and lawn mowing schedule and wondered why my lawn progressively worsened as others in the neighborhood improved. It even became embarrassing to see their service tag on my lawn because it let my neighbors know I was paying to have my yard look like crap.

I complained several times about some of their treatment as I noticed some of lawn never improved, and then I decided to stay home to secretly observe a scheduled treatment. They did not "knock" as they claim each treatment, they only fertilized 2/3 of my lawn and excluded the problem areas, and at the blink of an eye the tech was left. I immediately complained and a tech returned a week later.

I experienced poor communication which delayed my aeration and seeding by 3 weeks. When they finally aerated the yard, again only 2/3 was treated. I couldn't trust them to do the work they were paid to do, so I use a different service now. As I shared my experience with my neighbors, several said they had similar experiences with TruGreen. When I canceled my service, I provided details on why I was canceling and of course there was no follow-up. My suggestion to you is to do your research before choosing TruGreen, inspect everything they do and don't expect flexibility on their lawn applications. As for me, I don't trust them.

Fertilizer and weed control for the time of the year that it is needed. It is comfort to have someone to do the right thing at the right time of the year for your lawn. Richard answers all my questions if I have any at that time.

No response received

TruGreen Lawn Care

James, we are sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with the results of the program. Your account reflects that you enrolled in services in July, this is a season when crabgrass and dallisgrass are their most matured. As notated it was reviewed that for best control these weeds require a pre-emergent which is applied in the spring prior to their germination. Therefore, you wanted the services placed on hold until the first application of spring.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I went with this company after the good reviews. I feel they are done by employees. The weeds I was told that would be killed were not killed and when I asked the person doing the applications I was told they did not have anything to treat my problem. I canceled the service and they came out again and withdrew money out of my account. I would not recommend to my worst enemy.

TruGreen Lawn Care

JT, we truly apologize if you were in any way offended or frustrated by the customer service representative taking the opportunity to confirm that the potash, simazine, MCPA, Dicamba and Vanquish are the components of our fertilizer mixture which is sprayed at a rate of 1000sq ft/per min in our signature lines, versus directly empathizing with your concern. As a part of your active agreement, we do offer free and unlimited re-services in between your regularly scheduled paid applications if you are experiencing weed resistance, rain, etc such as what you have expressed.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

After fighting weeds for the first two years of my new lawn, I decided to let professionals do it and called TruGreen. A sales rep came out and looked at my lawn and told me that they would do a soil analysis and treat it accordingly. I signed and paid up front. The soil analysis was never done and was told that most of the lawns in my area had much of the same problems and were treated the same way. OK, I bought into it. I was home for some of the treatments and watched what they were doing. It's when you aren't at home or they think you aren't, is where I have the issues. I have suspected that the job was lacking after I found a door hanger saying that pot ash was spread in granular form but no signs of it on one treatment. Weed control was put down while it was raining and didn't stop for 2 days and other questionable service.

This morning my doorbell rang, so I got off of the couch and looked out the window to see the tech. walking back to his truck. By the time I walked 30 feet to a bedroom to put on a pair of short and opened the door, the tech was already reeling up his hose. I asked how he could spray potash, simazine, MCPA, Dicamba and Vanquish (as noted on my receipt) on 2000 square feet in less time that it takes to slip on a pair of short and get to the door. He said it was their sprayer that could spray as fast as he could walk. I called B.S. and called the toll free number and the person on the phone tried to defend him. The tech also noted that he had 30 treatments to do today, you do the math. I'll use a local lawn care company next year even if I have to pay more as I suspect that TruGreen works on volume of business rather than quality of service.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I hired TruGreen through the National Call Center but unknown to me, this is a franchise and my service was pushed to a contractor that has extremely poor ratings (14 Reviews 2 or lower). I hired TruGreen in January 2016, had a plan and service identified. They came treat my trees and shrubs as they felt was needed and I paid what they billed me. They were out on 9/9/16 and nothing was noted as an issue but on 9/22/16, I received a call from my landscaper telling me my shrubs had Ficus White Fly. I called TruGreen that day and they said someone would be out the next day. They did not come out until 10/5/16, per their records to treat for insects and fungus.

I received no call further about the issue. I was here on 11/8/16 when they came again and they did not speak to me about the issue at all or tell me about the fungus on my palm tree. They were in and out so fast, I did even see them. On 11/11/16, my landscaper let me know one of the palm trees had fungus on it and it would need to be removed. All of the shrubs which now had very few leaves, it would take 3 years to get them back. I called TruGreen on 11/11/16 and was promised that the manager would call me back, I called on 11/14/16, and they said give them till Tuesday (11/15). Tuesday came and went and nothing. I called on Wednesday and they "said someone tried to call you yesterday and you didn't answer."

I said, "I am looking at my cellphone and no one called me other than my sister 2x's and my daughter." They promised someone else would call me that day. They didn't. I called the national headquarters and said, I'm not getting anywhere with the local. They resent me down to the local branch twice more. Then on 11/17 after calling again to both the local and the national headquarter, the national service agent gave me another national number and said to call. I said "who am I asking for?" They said "I don't know who to tell you to talk to?" So don't you have a national review program to understand when a local contractor is performing poorly? Why would you have them service me when they have such poor 14 reviews I can see all 2/5 stars - all with the same issue!!!

Tyrus **, my tech, is wonderful! He comes on time, he is professional, he does great work. He got the medians between the street and the sidewalk looking good! He also got rid of weeds! The grass has filled in empty spaces with fertilization. He is courteous and remembers to knock on the door and ring the doorbell before he starts the application so if I have any questions I can get them answered. My lawn looks great. Thanks to his work and his giving me tips on improving the lawnmower height, etc. He puts the TruGreen markers on my grass to advertise the great work he does! I would like him to continue to be my tech next year!

We will be signing with them for our lawn treatment in 2017. So far our experience with the company has been good. The company completed balance of the leftover treatment for 2016 and they did a great job. The company did some lawn treatment at our house at ** in early 2000 and were pretty good then and hopefully they will prove even better when I sign up with them again in 2017.

I have been with TruGreen for 2 years now. I can say I am very pleased with their service. I can see a great improvement on my lawn. The specialist working on your yard is very professional, courteous, and knowledgeable about their job. If you have any questions, they will be there to answer any questions you have in mind regarding your lawn. They will assist you the best way they can. I would highly recommend them.

If I could give them a minus five stars, I would. For the past 10 years I have been doing the lawn care myself. This year I hired TruGreen. At the end of the year, my lawn was terrible shape. It is in the worst condition that I have ever seen. Four calls to TruGreen to request someone to come and inspect went unanswered. No one returned my calls. No one came to inspect my lawn. My conclusion is that TruGreen makes many claims and promises, however they keep very few. I could go on and on how TruGreen failed, but I will just say do your own homework. Read the negative reviews on this site and other sites, then decided if TruGreen is a good company for you. I failed to do my homework and feel that I flushed my money down the drain.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Profile