Find a Lawn Care Companies partner

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Top TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TruGreen is an upscale lawn service company and it shows in the quality of their work (and) very knowledgeable lawn specialists. I'm really into curb appeal and TruGreen has made ...

Verified

TruGreen has made a very positive impact on my yard. Prior to hiring TruGreen my yard was about 50% weeds and the grass was in terrible shape. After 1 1/2 years of TruGreen my yar...

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care services

TruGreen provides lawn maintenance services for personal and commercial clients. The company offers three base plans that include fertilization, weed control, aeration, overseeding and soil analysis services. They also provide lime soil amendments, tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services.

TruGreen locations

TruGreen's services are available in all 50 states, and you can find your local branch information or buy their plans and services directly on TruGreen's website.

TruGreen plans

TruGreen offers three major plans with services from soil analysis to fertilization. They can also provide amendments including lime soil, perform tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services. Other plans and add-on services are available.

TruHealth Lawn Plan
The TruHealth Lawn Plan includes fertilization, insect control, weed control and soil amendments to ensure balanced nutrients are in place for a lush, green lawn. TruHealth includes eight application visits per year.
TruComplete Lawn Plan
TruGreen markets the TruComplete plan as their best value. You’ll get everything included in the TruHealth Lawn Plan, service visits every four-six weeks, and one aeration service.
TruSignature Lawn Plan
The most comprehensive plan offered by TruGreen is the TruSignature Plan, which includes all of the services in the plans above, plus tree and shrub care with four additional visits per year.
TruMaintenanceLawn Plan
TruGreen's fundamental plan exclusively focuses on fertilization and weed control and includes seven services per year. All plans come with TruGreen’s Healthy Lawn Guarantee, which means they’ll make adjustments to ensure your satisfied with the plan and their service.
TruGreen pest control options
TruGreen offers lawn pest control services to prevent and control the following pests:
  • Ticks
  • Spiders
  • Mosquitos
  • Grubs (beetle larvae)
TruGreen aeration services
Aeration is recommended to help lawns that are suffering from patches, puddles or thin covering. The process allows more water, oxygen and fertilizer to reach your lawn’s roots, resulting in a thicker, greener lawn. TruGreen specializes in aeration and includes the service in both the TruComplete and TruSignature plans.

TruGreen cost

TruGreen prices will vary depending on where you live and which services or plan you select. To get an idea of how much the services cost, we got an estimate for 5,000 sq ft lawn in Tulsa, Oklahoma. You can see the prices quoted in the table below. TruGreen also offers PrePay discounts up to over $50 off your yearly cost.

PlanFirst applicationYearly cost
TruComplete Lawn Plan$29.95$777.6
TrueHealth Lawn Plan$29.95$568.6
TruMaintenance Lawn Plan$29.95$485.65
TruCare Mosquito Defense$39.95$464.70
Tree & Shrub Care$49.95$709.65
TruShield Tick and Flea Control$80.95$404.75

Is TruGreen worth it?

TruGreen’s collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to more in-depth pest control and lawn recovery services. If you can afford the monthly cost, we think TruGreen’s services and reputation in the industry are a good option for a great lawn.

TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I had my tree and shrubs application done by TruGreen on 12/10/21, few days later my shrubs discolored and then died, after multiple calls a tech was sent, he stated it was not due to the application. But I have had previous service and nothing happened to my shrubs. Fast forward 1/11/22, tree and shrubs application was done and now rest of my shrubs are discolored and appear to be dying the rest that was not affected with the December treatment. I have called multiple times to speak to trugreen regarding my dissatisfaction. Please be careful with this company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I received a text stating that the technician had arrived at my residence. My wife was home and I told her to watch them because they are known for not doing any work. I also watched through my Ring camera as the truck was parked in front of my home for about 6 minutes when I received another text that the work was completed. I watched the technician as he got out of his truck and placed a sign in my yard. Then he got in the truck and drove away. I then received a 2 page report of all the work that was done to my yard. It's amazing that he did all of that and never left his truck! Really gifted technicians with super powers. Don't they know this is the age of cameras? LOL.

Get buying tips about Lawn Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I hired Trugreen to fertilize three of my customers' lawns (I own a lawn care biz). They did not service my customers' lawns in a timely manner at all. Then, to make matters worse, the commercial person in charge at my local office (Springboro Ohio) lied to me several times about this issue. I then went over his head and the general manager was just as bad. They don't care about their customers at all. All they care about is making money. Don't hire them.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I work from home and watch the TruGreen "specialists" when they are supposed to be treating the lawn which is in the back and the front of the house, as well as a small side portion. There have been times that the specialist never leaves their truck except to put a notification on my door. Some of the specialists walk to the back of the house and spray in one small area. They are not treating the grass with as much fertilizer as they are stating on their invoice.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

TruGreen is a complete waste of money. We bought a house last year and pre-paid for a season of Tree + Shrub service and the TruHealth Lawn Plan. They came but it honestly looks like nothing is ever done. They spray the yard and everything looks exactly the same. We still have weeds. They won't let you cancel online and make you talk to someone. Whenever anyone calls they call from a 1-800 # so you can never get ahold of your sales rep directly. This business is terrible and I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone I know.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

This was the worst experience we had so far. We were promised and paid for the complete lawn care which is almost $800. The first treatment was a fertilizer and something that was supposed to make some changes to our lawn and remove the weed, but it exactly did the opposite and we have more weed now. Then they came for overseeding and aeration, we accidentally noticed that they are not going to overseed because they don't have Bermuda seed at all. They didn't tell us that when they wanted to charge the complete money. Their specialist said, "You go buy the seed yourself and apply it to your lawn yourself." We want our money back but when we called and asked for a manager they didn't escalate us and promised us a call from a manager. We received a call from a help desk again but they didn't put a manager online to respond. This is fraud. They will not give you the service they promised and they are not responsive.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spoke to Yolanda to cancel our service. She was nice at first. However now she is telling us what the company "can't do" for us and there is no one higher than her to speak to or email. TruGreen has used chemicals that have ruined our lawn. We have called on these issues prior and the last time, a gentleman came out from Fellsmere on his day off and he admitted TruGreen was using chemicals on our lawn that ruins it and burns it. TruGreen always comes when it rains. We have been told not only by TruGreen's very own landscaper but other landscapers that this should not be happening and the chemicals used are ruining our lawn. The man that was here from Fellsmere said he took pictures and sent them in and made note that the chemicals are indeed ruining our lawn. Not only are we not paying for today's service, we are seeking our money back for each time TruGreen came out after the man from Fellsmere came. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

They are suppose to control the weeds in my lawn but they killed my lawn and the weeds thrive. What a waste of money. I will never use this company again. They don't know how how to maintain your lawn and your garden.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Years ago I hired TruGreen for myself and later bought lawn service for a friend, whose husband had passed away. It seemed very simple. I paid for her service, and TG was to treat my friend's lawn. Instead, I entered a billing and notification nightmare and lost countless hours of my life trying to straighten that out. What felt like thousands of calls and lost time, I finally found a fabulous women at the corporate office who was able to eventually fix the billing vs. the actual site of the 2 DIFFERENT addresses of the lawn care sites. Believe me, it was not easy to obtain that information and that was about 7 years ago-now I'm sure it would be IMPOSSIBLE to reach anyone in the head offices. I gave them another chance, as the woman had been so helpful. Stupidly, I later deleted her contact info.

Fast forward to last year when their lawn tech failed to diagnose Chinch Bugs in our lawn, and we were told it was our irrigation system. We invested a good amount of money in our irrigation system, changing to larger heads, etc., all the while our lawn continued to die. Once again, many calls later with an impossible system to actually talk to anyone, we finally got someone else to look at our lawn.

The whole thing about TG is if you have a problem, they will return to your property and correct the problem--DO NOT BELIEVE THAT. We learned our lawn tech was no longer working for them, but by then, a good portion of our lawn was completely dead. What seemed like a gazillion calls and hours later, no call backs, being on hold, leaving messages, they came and reseeded our lawn but and I had to lose another portion of my life calling TruGreen to ensure that our lawn would be treated for Chinch bugs at no cost, all the while, our lawn looked like crap.

This past spring I lost several more hours of my life calling TG to adjust my billing. Then this year, with Covid Restrictions opening up, my husband and I were out of town a good portion of the summer but either came home to water or had our sprinkler system on. I assumed TG was tending our lawn during this time. Then, over a month or so ago, (August) portions of our lawn began dying off. I thought we may have Chinch bugs again. Around the same time I got an overdue bill from TG for $137.00. I called and asked them to send an itemized bill, as I had no idea what the $137.00 was for. I was told I now had paperless billing. I never received a bill. I then got a letter from TG saying they were turning me over to a collection agency. I thought my head would explode.

I called TG to learn that they had signed me up for paperless billing, which I had no idea they had done and never agreed to. I pay my bills as soon as I receive them and this made me crazy. I had always prepaid TG except for the years their billing was so bad that I paid by check with each service rendered, in order to make sure it was accurate.. I called TG and spoke to someone named Chris that told me my account had been closed for non-payment, so they couldn't send anyone out to look at my dying lawn. I explained I had excellent credit and that the reason I hadn't paid my bill was that I NEVER received a bill and STILL had not, despite the fact, that I had requested a copy of the itemized bill.

I told him I had paid the $137.00 to avoid TG totally ruining my excellent credit record. He said they had received the payment but because I had been turned over to the credit agency, I was a credit risk and I would have to PRE PAY and open up a new account. What EVER you do-save yourself countless hours of grief and find someone else. Life is for living and you will want to explode if you hire this corporate nightmare of a company-think of a Guinea Pig in a wheel. That is what it feels like to be a TG customer....except you are screaming.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The first treatment was great. I met the Tech and he seemed very knowledgeable. Then after that it all went south. I received bills where the truck stopped out front of my house then bang I get a text "your service was complete" and he drives off without getting out of the truck. Come on who are you trying to fool? Everyone has cameras. I have witness them stopping and writing a bill and leaving more than once. I witness them stopping and spraying a small area of my yard then leaving in less than 10 minutes. I live in Adams County Pennsylvania and the service here is questionable. Yes after many complaints about leaving without doing a service, they do eventually come out and they do service your lawn but you have to watch them like a hawk. Oddly enough I still haven't canceled but once I find a competitor that can provide quality service I most likely will.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information