Call toll free
3.97/5
Based on 1,233 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

TruGreen Lawn Care Video
TruGreen Lawn Care Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

4664 TruGreen Lawn Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

So disappointed. We canceled our service. Yard has never look horrible. They were unable to kill the weeds in our yard not to mention how horrible the scheduling is not to mention not all of the services are very friendly.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Brenda. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are sorry to learn that you are dissatisfied with the quality of your service. We would like to extend our deepest apologies and regrets about how you are feeling. We agree that the service you described is unacceptable. Please message us privately, and we will be more than happy to work with you to resolve the situation.

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I was double charged for the services rendered on the first time your company came out to treat my grass. I cancelled your service after I was told that I can get 10% off on my next treatment. This is not a great way to start a relationship.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Ruben. We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience, and we would like to extend our humblest apologies. We pride ourselves in delivering a consistently high standard of service, and we would like to assure you that we are very eager to correct any mistakes. Please message us directly. We would love to discuss what we can do to improve your situation.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Great value compared to other competitors. Quick to respond to any issues usually from the Nashville office. I skipped the service for 1 year and treated my lawn myself but didn’t get the same good results as with TruGreen. I have recommended TruGreen to friends and my neighbors comment on my lawn often.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have had a difficult time with this company. They quoted me one price then tried to charge me another. They have canceled service without explanation. When they came out to perform the aeration, only the front yard was done. They have taken steps to correct the issues but it seems like almost every time they come out something isn’t done correctly.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Product was applied twice. Because of that there are numerous burn marks on the lawn. The technician said I have a lot of nutsedge, he was incorrect, it is bent grass. He also stated it will go away when it gets cooler. That is also not correct. I have numerous weeds that are thriving. This is mainly because he didn't do the whole property. I have video cameras and viewed them. Very dissatisfied with the service. However when I complained the manager was very nice and said he will refund the cost of the service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Bruce. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that our level of service failed to meet both your and our standards. We want to assure you that we take your concerns very seriously, and we would like to speak to you about resolving your concerns. Please send us a private message so we may assist you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I’ve only had one treatment so far. Overseeding and aeration should have been done yesterday but because of weather, the service could not be done. I’m still waiting for someone to come out and measure my yard because it is much smaller than what I am being charged for. No one ever came out and measured it to begin with. It is only .33 of an acre or 14,374 sq. ft. Part of that is landscaped with bushes and no lawn.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Barbara, thank you for reaching out to us. Your re-measurement is tentatively scheduled for 08/13 and your aeration/overseeding for 8/18. We look forward to addressing your concerns on these visits

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I’ve been with TruGreen for almost three years. First year + service was great. Technician Dave took care of us and lawn looked great. Signed up for additional services for another year and up until a few weeks ago this year is a disaster. Had Dave come out to see the weeds and the horrible condition of our lawn. Dave sent Richard out to put down some weed control. I found out this is the first time this year weed control had been placed on our lawn this year and now I understand why the lawn is looking terrible. The treatment Richard applied helped but there are still trouble spots. I know Dave was out the other day to do a treatment, fertilizer etc. but at this time of year our lawn should be looking much better than it does.

I wrote a letter asking for credit for my first several paid treatments since the first two technicians never treated for weeds in the beginning of the year. I have a low confidence on the first two tech that came out so now I’ve asked that only Technician Richard service our lawn. So far I’ve heard nothing or had an acknowledgement of my written complaint. At this time we are waiting. I will not sign up for another round of treatments until my complaint is resolved.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

So far I can really say they came back since the first time didn't seem like it worked, but they came back out and redid it at no charge: And this time it seem it works. The weed have died and the lawn is getting to look like it did 2 years ago. Already got my neighbor to have TruGreen service his lawn.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Alfred we are happy to see that the free reservice took care of the more stubborn weeds. Thank you for your recommendations!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We have never used a lawn service before. We decided to try this year, and chose TruGreen on the recommendation of others. Mainly they were known for prompt response. Not true. After the first treatment (of 6 for $650!), our weeds seemed to multiply and our lawn developed yellow stripes. We called, and they sent someone else out who said they would stick to the regular schedule, no need to do anything for the stripes. We complained and they took $50 off our bill. For the next 2 weeks the weeds continued to multiply and the stripes were more prevalent. I called customer service and finally got someone who said they couldn't send anyone for a week due to heavy schedule. I complained that that was not acceptable, and to his credit, he did get someone out the next day, but not till I complained. The person who came out the next day basically said he couldn't do anything to make the lawn look any better this year.

The first guy who came out had caused the damage and it would take a year to repair. This year they would just keep trying to kill the weeds and start fresh next year. There will be no next year with TruGreen. As I read other reviews, this seems to be a common problem. More weeds, and lousy customer service. IF they had been honest up front about what would happen, I would have been okay, but they charged $650 for 6 treatments that they said would help our lawn and so far they have killed it. They are the lawn experts so they should be able to look at a lawn, take some samples, and be able to treat accordingly. Instead they seem to do the same treatments for everyone with no samples taken. Obviously for my lawn, that was not the answer. I would not recommend TruGreen. Find a small local lawn care service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Joyce. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We certainly understand your frustration, and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies about how you are feeling. We take these issues very seriously, and we hope that you will allow us the opportunity to resolve your concerns, so we can deliver your complete and correct service package as quickly as possible. Please message us privately with your customer information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Excellent service. Notifies when the specialist is coming. Leaves written paper as to what was done and instructions on mowing and watering. So far, the specialist have been professional and helpful. The yard is not there yet but it does look better each time service is provided.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Rodney it is good to know that the lawn is gradually improving and the work orders are proven to be beneficial for you. Please feel free to leave a review for your specialists at anytime when logging into your trugreen.com account

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I am a new customer. Since I have had problems with my grass I elected to get to have TruGreen assist me with my grass. I am so pleased with the guidance I have received. I have gone from no grass to beautiful green grass. Thank you.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Donna it is always amazing to see what beautiful transformations that our partnerships bring. Thank you for sharing!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My husband went on the TruGreen website and entered in our information so that someone could contact us about pricing/consultation. A female contacted my husband the same afternoon and was pleasant at first. She discussed several packages with my husband beginning at 1,700 annually and after a bit of back and forth discussion priced him a package for $80 something per month. My husband then told the rep (who never identified herself) that the price may be a little higher than what he wanted to pay but that he would consult me (his wife) and get back to her.

She became rude and confrontational. She spent the next two minutes questioning him and trying to pressure him into a commitment. He finally had enough and started to tell the rep that he didn’t appreciate how she was acting and that he would not be pressured into to anything and SHE HUNG UP ON HIM MID SENTENCE!!! Needless to say, TruGreen will not be receiving our business now or ever! Terrible customer service!!!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Stacey. Thank you for your valuable feedback. We apologize for any trouble this may have caused, and we hope that you will allow us to resolve your concerns. Please message us directly so we may personally assist you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Techs are knowledgeable and helpful. Office staff from the branch is fabulous. The General manager is very helpful and answers any concerns that we have. All in all great experience with the Memphis branch. The service is top notch from sales to the technicians and service managers.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

John we love to report such wonderful news back to our management teams. Thank you for acknowledging their efforts!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

With only being with TruGreen 3 months I have had more problems than it’s worth. We signed up and told because we are both retired only one service per month. Got double service after the first week. Then never came back to finish my free service until I called. They sprayed for weeds and 6 days later it looks as bad as it did before they sprayed. Supervisor told me he would take care of my free service, 7 days later I had to call to get it. Not worth all this headache at this price!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi James. We are very sorry to hear that your service was not completed in the timely manner you were expecting. We agree that the issues you described are not acceptable, and certainly not the experience we would wish for our valued customers. Please message us directly so we may assist you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We are very pleased with the treatments and care given by all of your staff pertaining to our lawn and shrubs/trees. Everything is looking great, even in our climate of very little rain this summer. Thank you for providing such great service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thomas thank you for providing us the opportunity to improve the aesthetics of your property.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I love the way my lawn looks. It is getting better all the time. My specialist always comes to the door before he begins and asks if I have any problems or questions. He does his job quickly and the results are great.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for sharing John!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I decided to try TruGreen for my lawn this summer. Big mistake. I will refrain from writing the 3 page diatribe I was originally planning. Their first weed spray (after I had called and asked for assurance twice that my plants would not be damaged) decimated more than half of a full and healthy 1.5 ft thick row of daisies that originally came from my mother's garden. It also killed half of a very nice plot of hens and chicks. After making excuses for their service crew, they said they'd buy me more daisies "or whatever". Really? It's going to take me HOURS to dig and replant that plot. Barely an apology - I got the distinct impression I was just an annoyance.

I had many conversations with people at TruGreen regarding the situation and yet it seems they don't communicate with each other at all. I called this morning (only got notice late yesterday that they were coming out for treatment today) to tell them PLEASE don't weed spray. She took my information and said she had sent it to the tech. I ask this also in concern of my neighbors' outdoor cats. I left the house at 1:30 and there was a notice on my door that the tech had been there and weed sprayed. I have asked 4 times for someone from TruGreen to give me an estimate for pruning bushes - no response. Today the tech's report said I needed to have the bushes pruned to let in more light on the lawn. Really? I could go on for pages. Definitely one of the most unresponsive, poorly managed and uncaring contractors I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Kristin. We would like to apologize for the delay in completing your service. We are extremely disappointed to learn of your unsatisfactory experience, and we agree that the concerns you reported are unacceptable. We strive to provide the very highest quality of service on-time, and as requested, and we are very eager to correct the issues you have outlined. We recognize that your time is valuable, but if you could message us directly, we will be more than happy to assist.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Mike ** has done an excellent job of working with us on keeping the trees/shrubs in a excellent health and looking good. He talks to us each visit and lets us know what is going on with the trees/shrubs. Job well done!! I let all the neighbors know who does our work on them.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for taking the time to review the experience that you had with Mike. John, we are truly pleased to know that he was able to keep you informed and review your property. If you would like, you can visit www.trugreen.com and complete the specialist survey in the feedback section of your "my account" page.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I've been told the weeds are being treated but they continue to grow and create ground cover in my backyard. I'm sure they'll be killed off "over time" but I'm still waiting 3-weeks later for the weeds to die off.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Benjamin, thank you for your feedback. To better assist with your weed concerns we have schedule a free reservice to be completed next week. You will receive a pre-notification the day before the visit. Have a great weekend

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Michael ** always does a super job and today was no different. He is very professional in what he does and very down to earth. He answered all my questions and gave me advice on what I should be doing.

TruGreen Lawn Care response
We thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Michael, we are so pleased

to know that he is professional and personable. If you would like, you can visit www.trugreen.com and complete the specialist survey in the feedback section of your "my account" page.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am thrilled with the service I am receiving from TruGreen. I was having problems with my struggling lawn and needed some help. After the first application from TruGreen I saw a difference. My tech Leroy has been amazing too, he is dependable and really knows what needs to be done at each application. I appreciate his feedback and answers to my questions a great deal. I would recommend these guys to my friends any day!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for taking the time to review the experience that you had with your specialist and for recognizing our efforts in improving the lawn. We appreciate your willingness to recommend Heidi

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I can't say enough about the professional service that TruGreen provides at a reasonable price. My lawn has changed from being weeds and sporadic grass to weed free and full green grass in a matter of few months. I also have insect control plan too, and no more problems. Thank you for the great service you provide.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Dean, than you for entrusting us to take care of your lawn care needs. It is our pleasure!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Started my service with TruGreen back in July. They kept "unscheduling" me and then saying they cannot give me an appt time. Finally I spoke to someone that said Aug 6th. So I wait for the text/email notification and nothing. Call them at 9 am to verify and they tell me someone serviced my yard for mosquitoes at 7:30 am with no notification and my pets still outside which is a big no no. So far I am very unsatisfied and customer service was zero help.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

First... Don't waste your time contacting their customer service, they don't respond. For 41 years I have had one of the better looking lawns in the subdivision; Used Happy Turf for lawn treatment for years, then TruGreen took over. Now my lawn has dead spots all over. Crabgrass has never been as bad. Neighbor's lawn looks great and he only has service once a year, every other year and this is the off year.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Tree/Shrub service -- diseases contaminated branches/shrub were treated repeatedly and alive now. A very good job! Not happy - lawn watered 3X/wk; cut/bag grasses often, but many brown patches left by dead Poa annua that were not treated chemically last Fall. MUST be treated/corrected this Fall to ENSURE brown patches do not show during the Winter season.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have been a customer for one year, and so far I am pleased with the progress of my lawn & shrubs. All the TruGreen staff that I encounter are friendly, professional and knowledgeable. I am looking for more improvement with my lawn in year two.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Josh ** was excellent... Very professional, knowledgeable, efficient... and friendly. The service itself seems to be keeping the lawn looking healthy. The only thing I'd request is a little more attention to weeds. Getting a few sprinkled sporadically through certain areas of the lawn... a tough thing to control for anyone particularly at this time of year. Otherwise, everything is perfect and would like to keep Josh on the case.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

One at least 5 occasions the service technician has either treated our yard/shrubs or done the mosquito treatment on the wrong house, our next door neighbor's house, fortunately on most of those occasions we have been at home and have been able to get the technician to treat our yard, but we know on some occasions they treated the wrong yard. The last time was about 2 weeks ago and my wife told the tech that he was at the wrong house and he tried to say she was wrong, but once that was settled he stated our front yard looked good enough and said he was not going to use any fertilizer on the front yard, we thought that was a little odd, plus we are paying for it anyway. So overall we have been mostly satisfied, but getting the wrong house this many times is aggravating to us.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have been a TruGreen customer for 20 years and I have always had great service. This year has been horrible. First of all they never came to do the first spring treatment so the weeds got hold. They explained it was on purpose which is sad when you know they are lying to you. Every time I checked my service date online it was pushed out. Found out later you have to threaten to quit to get them out. Then they finally came and did not kill the weeds. They came out (even though I have a do not sell anything else on my account) to do tree and scrub.

They called and said they would do it for the cost of one of my lawn treatments so I wouldn't be charged. Well you can guess what happened. They charged me. And we're going to charge again the next time. I had to call again and get them fixed. I canceled my Halloween treatment because Oct 31st in the woods in MN just doesn't do anything. Now the worst. They came out a couple of days ago and KILLED LOTS OF THE GRASS. Came home after being gone for 3 days and it is very bad. Called and they said the best they can do is get out in 72 working hours. Then they will come up with a cause and a plan. Oh like no big deal. That is what the guarantee is for. I bet their plan sucks. It is so sad to see a good company go bad.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Since we have been using TruGreen our lawn has become one of the best lawns in the area. The service we receive from them has been excellent. The technicians are superior and very friendly. Using the mosquito service has allowed us to use our yard as it should be with little interference from pests.

TruGreen Lawn Care expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TruGreen was founded in 1973 in Troy, Mich. Today, the company headquarters are located in Memphis, Tenn. The company applies science-based solutions to meet residential and commercial lawn care needs.

• Scientific approach: TruGreen employs several individuals with Ph.Ds. in horticulture and other relevant subjects. These individuals design service offerings and training programs so that all TruGreen technicians fully understand the science behind lawn care.

• Service options: Interested customers can visit TruGreen’s website to learn about the variety of service plans the company offers. All plans include a Healthy Lawn Analysis®, targeted weed control and fertilizer. Some plans also include aeration and/or lime treatment to balance the pH in customers’ soil.

• PGA provider: Trugreen is the official lawn care provider of the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA). In addition to caring for the greens of PGA Championship courses, the company offers deals to PGA members.

• Community involvement: TruGreen is committed to creating green spaces for everyone to enjoy. Local offices have planted flowers and grass around public schools in Los Angeles and helped to improve landscaping at Memphis parks. In spring of 2016, the company helped to create a community vegetable garden and fruit orchard in Lansing, Mich.

• Tree and shrub care: Customers who are interested in improving the health and appearance of their trees and shrubs can add specific services to their TruGreen plans. Options include root fertilization, pest control, spring feeding and targeting trunk injection, which corrects nutrient imbalances.

• Best for: TruGreen offers services to meet most customers’ needs and budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information

www.trugreen.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business