3.86/5
Based on 1,713 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

TruGreen Lawn Care Video
TruGreen Lawn Care Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

5578 TruGreen Lawn Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

They offer me a deal. Every month they will came and treat my grass but it never never help my grass. That told me I will have to wait another year. They ask me to wait another year but the same. My grass didn't get any greener it just lost the green color and I paid them I called them. No one help me over there...

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Zissy, thank you for your feedback. We'd like to take a look at your account and see how we can help here. Please send us a private message with your account information so we can take a look. Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Lawn Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I am giving TruGreen a ONE STAR rating, because it doesn't allow me to give them NONE. I walked our one acre lot with the salesman and was given a price to take care of our yard. Then when they came to service the yard, the techs (if you can call them that) only did less than 10,000 sq ft, and were done within 15 minutes of arrival, never having treated our entire yard. OMG, our lawn looked terrible, and they had burned part of what they did treat!!

I called and complained. To no avail. I cancelled service and asked for a refund. We did receive a partial refund. However, the week after we cancelled, a truck pulled up to "treat" our lawn. I told them NO, I had cancelled them. Their left hand has no idea what their right hand is doing. To this day I am continuing to receive notices, phone calls and mailings asking us to sign with them. I went from attempting to be polite, to telling them NO, I would not re-sign with them EVER, would not recommend them EVER, and to please take us off their mailing and calling list. We still receive them.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Marti, thank you for your feedback. We apologize that our service did not live up to your expectations. If there is anything we can do to help moving forward please feel free to send us a private message and we'd be happy to assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I'm pretty patient. This is close to the worst service I've ever received. I've been with them since October 2018 (~4 months from today), and each time they were supposed to come out to perform the TruHealth service, something has gone wrong. Furthermore, every time I call to request to get the problems fixed, their management is very poor to respond. For example, yesterday the technician came out to perform the routine service (spray for weeds, etc.), but per my cameras only performed 1/4 of the job. Half of the front yard was sprayed. They never entered the back yard. I called and was advised that I was on record for only receiving 1/2 yard service. WHY would anyone only get half of their yard treated?

I contacted the local office, and the kind woman on the phone apologized for the inconvenience and stated my yard was incorrectly documented in their system - and that she was messaging the technician to come back out to finish the whole yard by the end of the day. To my (lack of) surprise, they never showed up and sent me an invoice at 6:45 pm - basically acknowledging that contrary to my concerns, that in their mind - the job was finished. This 1/2 yard business further makes zero sense because they were hired to put lawn plugs in my back yard - and had treated those the month prior. It's a flaky service - they basically show up and put a bill on your front door while doing minimal work.

In Summary: Pros: the mobile app is nice, alerts when they're (supposed) to show up; billing is pretty straight forward. Cons: poor service, untrustworthy (cannot rely on them to get the job done without adult supervision). Recommendation: maybe good to kill off lawn pests, but definitely would not recommend for recurring lawn maintenance. Find someone else for your wallet's sake! Maybe this is just a reflection of this local Oldsmar, FL office, but a poor experience with TruGreen in my opinion.

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that you had these difficulties with our service. This is not what you should expect from your TruGreen team, and we want to make it right. If you are still willing, please private message us with your account information so that we can get this corrected.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I used this company in 2016 or 2017, I got some results but not my money's worth. They seeded the backyard that first year and NOTHING HAPPENED. Their weed killing chemicals are a joke. The grass growing in my front yard looks more like crawling weeds. So in 2028 I thought to try them... Something looks like it's trying to come up in my yard...we will see if it survives.

My concerns continue when I look at my bill. I see 2 charges. I have no idea what they are charging me for on 12/7 and 12/17. They talk you into stuff you probably don't need. I tried to make a payment but the automatic system would not allow me to pay it. I tried to pay $100, but it would not allow me... Okay I owe $260, I should be able to make a payment. I was told that I would, now I get PAST DUE notice and threats. I will try to pay something online or just mail partial payment. OF COURSE I WILL BE CANCELLING THIS GREEDY COMPANY. DO IT YOURSELF FOLKS, BUYER BEWARE!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Sharon, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to see that you are dissatisfied with your service and have concerns about your bill. If you send us a private message with your account information we'd be happy to take a look and try to make things right. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I do not recommend getting their service. I had their service for a full year only because I prepaid. I had issues and requested a manager to come and reassess because my grass started to look worse. Poor customer service and didn't help but actually made my grass look worse than before.

Hi Yamile,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations, and we are disappointed that you did not get the help you reached out for. If you are still willing, please private message us with your account information so that we can help you out.

Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I hired TruGreen to come to my house to spray my lawn for excessive weeds. They only did around the house and never sprayed down the driveway like they said they would. After the first visit, I had to call TruGreen back as I was told 35 - 45 days I would see the weeds die off. Well they didn't die off. They came back to spray again and still the same issue. I finally pulled the weeds out as they were growing very tall and multiplying. I had an incident where my plant was sprayed and half the plant died. I sent pictures to the Manager and they said they would use these pictures as a training example for their service people.

End of my contract is here and TruGreen comes and sprays the lawn and then sends me a bill for the service. I called and there was a credit put to my account for the amount less 0.01 cent. I had to send another email to have them adjust the 0.01 cent. I started to see my lawn die in my backyard. I was told by the service tech it was because my lawn was not getting enough sun because of my trees being big & full and no sunlight was getting to the grass. Well I have been here for 6 years, never had this problem until TruGreen started lawn service to kill the weeds.

I have had 2 landscape companies over to my location as all I have is dirt now in the backyard, and spotty lawn in some areas. I have been told by both landscapers that my lawn was burnt by the chemicals that were sprayed. It was over-sprayed which killed the lawn. I was also told that it had nothing to do with the trees being big and full and no sunlight getting in as there was filtered sunlight. Since I did not take before pictures, there is not too much I can do except hire a landscaping company to come in and replant my lawn which is not going to be inexpensive since it is close to 1 acre of land. I did get an email asking me to prepay for this upcoming season, and responded to cancel my service, take my name off their list and the reason why. I have not heard anything from TruGreen.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Jo-Ann, thank you for expressing your concerns here. We're sorry to see that you've had multiple issues with your TruGreen service and feel that your complaints have not been heard or addressed. If you don't mind, please send us a private message with your account information so we can look into this for you. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I called them to cancel everything but after 2 months, they still come and do their service without my knowledge, when I contacted customer service they told me I only cancel the mosquito only while I said cancel everything, also after 3 treatment for around $150 my lawn look like trash, say goodbye forever to TruGreen.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Hoang, we're sorry to hear about the experience you had here. We'd be happy to look into your account and see if there is anything we can do. Please send us a private message with your account details if you'd like us to do so. Thank you!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

In the beginning as a new customer was not told that service would only be for nine mos. Paid for a year but did not receive the service requested. Was not told that my bill would be recurring once the year was up. Got a bill of 51.00 that I don't owe. Very disappointed with truly thought this company was legitimate and credible.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Belinda, thank you for taking the time to write a comment here. We'd like to take a peek at your account and see if we can find out what happened – please send us a private message with your account information so we can look into this. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had some TruGreen sales reps come to my house and after seeing my yard said they could take care of the weeds and that in 30 days or less I would see a significant improvement. That I would be "hosting bbq's" at the 30 day mark. And quoted me something like $40 for the first treatment and then $60 from there on out.

I took them at their word and signed up for their service. They also told me when I signed up that on the first visit I didn't have to be home to just mark what I wanted with Orange flagging tape (which I did). Well the day of the first appointment came up and I get a notice on my phone via the app that I was skipped (due to not being home). I called and they had the service tech call me and he came back to the house.

He did the job and again told me I should see improvements within 30-45 days. That anything knee high roughly or under would die and then blow away and anything above roughly knee high I would have to pull. After about 35 days the weeds that were not dead had died but showed no signs of doing what he said, but I let it go, I started to pull the weeds at where at my knees and higher as told. At the 40 day mark nothing else had changed so I called them and they sent someone else out.

When he got here the weather would not let him proceed with the service and he got it put back on the schedule. The next lady that came out did a treatment and again told me in 30-45 days I would see improvement. So I waited again about 35 days after the service nothing was changing. By this time it was time for my next regular service anyway so they came out, did the service again, and again I waited, while waiting I received a bill for $102.42 which is nowhere near the price quoted.

I called them and pretty much got a oh well attitude and that they wouldn't do it for that price. Well I waited to see if there would be any improvements and there was not at 45 days in. I cancelled the service and for the cost of a refill of my propane tank took a propane torch and had it cleared in a few hours. I would not recommend their services to my worst enemy.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Jonathan, we're sorry to hear about the experience you had with our service. We'd like to look into this and try to make it right if you're up for it. Please send us a private message with your account information so we can be of assistance here. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Last year one of your techs came and sprayed our yard. He also sprayed our plants along the back side of our fence. This killed all nineteen of our plants. A branch manager came out and agreed with us that the plants were dead. Since it was in the middle of the summer he said they would wait until October to replace the plants. I called in September to find out when the plants would be replaced. No one knew nothing. So I talked with another manager and he came out. He said some of the plants were dead and them spaying the plants had nothing to do with them dying. We argued for a little bit.

Now remember we were told by one manager that they would replace them. So the manager said he would send a tech out and give us his opinion. Same deal. They both said they would follow up with us. Well here it is January and no word from anyone. It's amazing how a company like this is so willing to take our money but not have any regard for the customer. I'm not complaining about the lawn service. We were happy with it. Of course I'm sure we won't get a response from this email either. We just want new plants or our money back for our plants.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Paul, we apologize for this experience. We want to make this right and make sure you get your plants taken care of. If you would, please send us a private message so we can look into this and help find a solution. Thank you!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Last year I paid $174.87 for 7 treatments for my front yard only... Did not need my back yard or the sides which are rocked. I thought $25 was a fair price for the small area they had to service since they did the yard across the street and the yard on one side of my house... Both of which I recommended to TruGreen. This year they tell me it is a minimum charge of $50 something, but they will let me have it for $35 which is still $245 yearly. That is not only way too much of an increase but also too high for such a small area when they do the house across the street... I will be talking to my neighbors also since I recommended TruGreen.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Malon, we'd like to keep you as a customer! Please send us a private message so we can look into your account and try to find a solution for you. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I am a customer from Harrisburg PA. I had Scotts LawnService for several years and was very happy with their service and results. TruGreen bought them out and I continued my service. What a mistake. I had a contractor who was at my house every day and as I helped him during the daytime and worked my normal job at night I was also witness to the nonservice I received. With Scotts I had yard markers and a paper at my door describing treatments and observations. With TruGreen this may have occurred twice in one season and yet I got billed for full service. There was a truck in my yard every day. We moved it twice for service. After many phone calls describing my situation I was always assured the matter would be taken care of. What a joke. I told Zach a lawn care specialist who knew my problem and he assured me he would take care of the problem. Nonsense.

I again called and told them not to step on my property again since I felt robbed for payment of nonservice as well as their results which were understandably terrible. I got a new lawn service company and yet the next season someone from TruGreen knocked on my door to let me know they were going to perform a treatment. I invited the man inside and again detailed my experience with him. He told me this was called ghosting. Where they no showed but still charged. He called his boss, apologized and said it would be taken care of. Meanwhile his partner had treated my yard, which my new company had just treated. I was told the service would be free. No kidding.

The company states if you are not happy they will re-treat your lawn at no cost. Well I received 2 maybe 3 treatments I am not happy. I paid for full service and received next to none. My new company is wonderful and guess what. After getting ripped off by TruGreen a collection agency is trying to collect from me. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Over $700 paid to this company for nothing, they will not stop coming even after repeated phone calls and one on one conversations yet their records show our communications took place. ZERO STARS is a compliment. I have never dealt with such a poorly run company.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Steve, thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback to us. We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with your TruGreen service and we'd like to help make this right if we can. Please send us a private message with your account information so that we can take look into your account. Thank you very much!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I witnessed a TruGreen employee, Dan **, drive a large aerating-type machine along my sidewalk. As the machine was too wide to fit, it was crushing the landscaping bricks, which were set on-pointe along the sidewalk. I spoke with the two other employees on site, who confirmed that they saw him breaking the bricks, and heard the popping sounds as they were breaking. When I called his attention to the damage, he apologized and said that he was meeting with his boss, Allen, tomorrow and that one of them would be in touch with me soon. He took my address, phone number, and photos of the broken bricks, which we counted together. The total was 10. He said, “I will definitely fix them for you.” They were his last words to me.

Not hearing from him, I called six times over the next month, was passed to several departments, and given several different numbers to call, always repeating the story and given the assurance that someone would definitely call me back. No one ever did until I threatened to report it to the BBB. Then the manager called within an hour to state that they have no responsibility for any damage and that an unidentified neighbor had said that Dan didn’t break any bricks. The neighbors for whom TruGreen was working deny exonerating the landscaper, as they were not even home at the time. I tried to file a formal complaint against them with the BBB, but they are unwilling to accept any complaints against those who have paid for a good rating. Innocent consumers need to be warned by others who have suffered at the hands of TruGreen’s less-than-honorable business practices.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Marie, thank you for taking the time to write this review. We understand how frustrated you must be with this back and forth and we'd like to try and make it right for you. Please send us a private message with your contact information and address so we can look into this and help find a resolution. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

On April 24th 2018, a man came to my front door offering TruGreen services. I gave him a glass of water and we sat on my bench and discussed the prospect. I acquiesced to a single initial treatment to try the service out, because the salesperson promised that two treatments, one for weeds and another to protect my fruit trees against bugs and fungus would cost me $40. It took them at least 3-5 attempts before they finally got the initial application done, because I only hired them to treat my backyard, which is locked with a padlock. So despite coming time and again and treating just the front yard for weeds, they couldn't accomplish the treatment that I really hired them to perform. Finally I called in again on May 3rd to explain that issue and on May 8th we finally connected and I let them in to complete the job in the backyard.

On May 15th I called to cancel. The woman with whom I spoke argued with me so much, and was so difficult to deal with, and I told her time after time that: I didn't want to pay any more and that I wanted to cancel and that no more charges should accrue and that I only wanted it for my backyard but that it's too difficult to provide them the necessary access to perform the task. My clear understanding of the way things were left after that call was that they could absolutely NOT treat my property without my express permission in advance. She ultimately ignored my request to cancel altogether, because at some point in October I was alerted to ongoing charges on my account - despite never letting anyone into my backyard to treat it.

Therefore on Nov 1st I called in explaining that I only ever authorized a single treatment. Nevertheless I kept receiving post-due bills. So I called back in again on Dec 3rd to complain about erroneous charges on my account, and explained that: these charges were not authorized, and that I don't consider them valid, and that they were performed without my permission on a part of the home that I didn't care about at all.

Now, on January 18th, 2019, I'm being THREATENED BY A COLLECTIONS AGENCY called Transworld Systems, Inc., on behalf of TruGreen, now jeopardizing my credit to recoup the $74+ that they racked up on my account after I cancelled, purportedly applying treatments that I did not authorize, to a part of the home that I explicitly wouldn't pay for, after being misquoted the price and after all of this back-and-forth dialogue.

Many of the dates in this account had to be retrieved from the company's records, which, among other things, don't reflect the many times they came out to treat my yard unsuccessfully because they missed me and thus couldn't gain access to the backyard. It's frustrating that I am expected to maintain such rigorous records of my dealings with a vendor because they can't be trusted to record things faithfully and to tell the truth. I would hire ANY local provider over this firm - you'll be better off in the long run no matter what, plus you'll be helping the local economy instead of making one of the 1% even richer. Caveat Emptor!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Ben, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience both here and on Facebook. As we mentioned over there, we'd like the opportunity to see how we can make this right for you. Please send us a message with your account information so that we can look into this and help provide a solution. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

In the years we've worked with TruGreen, we have yet to get grass. They will send someone out ONLY after multiple phone calls, sometimes taking months to get in touch with someone. They charged us for a service we told them not to do, and it took 6 months to 1. Get anyone to call us back 2. Give us a refund (which they would only agree to 1/2). Please do not waste your time & money with this company - you will regret it. Read other reviews- from what I've seen, I'm certainly not the only one who's had such a terrible experience!

Hi Betsy,
We are incredibly disappointed to hear that our services did not meet your expectations. We value customers like you, and this is not what you should expect from your TruGreen team. If you still need any assistance canceling your account, please private message us with your information.
We wish nothing but the best for your lawn moving forward.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was writing with no star as this is a requirement to select at least 1 star. Everyone Consider no star for my review. I was customer more than 5 years and since 3 year I am not with TruGreen. Yesterday I got a call that want to make me happy again. They will give me special price. The person he called and kept pushing me and from 440 to bring down 295. I decided to get in writing as a email for all services and total price he change to higher price. Untrusted, non professional behavior, No commitment, I canceled deal and the person said, "OK no worries." If any one has money to put in garbage take their services. Reason I left this company their technician jumped in my backyard and left open.

Hi Anis,
We wish nothing but the best for your lawn moving forward.

Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Wouldn’t it be great if we lived in a perfect world and you received the service you paid for. I’ve had Trugreen for several years. 2018 was the worst of all the years I’ve had them. I expect some consultation on my lawn when it looks as bad as it did. Unfortunately I never received it. With the Internet I find I have Brown Patch Fungus in my lawn. I call Trugreen to complain, especially seeing as I paid for the service to treat for Brown Patch. The technician comes out and does another treatment of fertilization.

Again I go to the Internet. I read that too much fertilizing causes the Brown Patch to be worse. They keep coming out and fertilizing the lawn and not addressing the Brown Patch. They supposedly treat for weeds. When their sales manager came to look at my lawn this week you still see the weeds growing. When I had them aerate and overseed my lawn it looks like they did it in an S shape. They tore up the lawn and never repaired it. I’m through with Trugreen. When you pay a company over a $1000 a year, you expect to receive better treatment. How unfortunate they have such poor service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Robert, thank you for leaving your feedback. Your complaints are concerning to us and we'd like to look into your account to help find a solution. Please send us a private message with your account information so that we can dig a little deeper and see what's going on. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I've had TruGreen service at my past three homes. My previous two homes were new with new sod so I really had nothing to compare it to as it really always looked good. My last home purchase was an older home with very little real grass. Many bare spots and insects. Fast forward 15 months and the yard has no bare patches and is much greener. It was so gradual I didn't really appreciate how good it looked until I saw pictures of my house before and after a remodel. Huge difference! My yard is not perfect and I don't expect it to be considering how poorly maintained it was. It does take a little time. And though TruGreen won't say it (I will) you can't cut your lawn too short, not water it, have standing water or basically abuse your yard and expect miracles. I give TruGreen a solid 9.5 out of 10.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Mike, thank you so much for the delightful review. We are truly happy to hear that there has been so much improvement in your lawn. Thank you for being partners in your lawn, and please let us know if you have any concerns that we can assist you with.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

If you do not want to throw the money in the trash, do not buy any service in this company. Buy this service in August 2018 from then sent to 5 or 6 technicians (according to it). The service they do literally 5 minutes. After 6 months my Grass is horrible. Call to complain and they promised to send me another technician, because all the previous ones give you recommendations totally different from the last technician and they tell you that technician is new in this job. He does not know what he says. They told me a date three days after 1.00pm to 7.00pm. The whole weekend was spent sending text to remember the appointment.

The day arrived and I was waiting all day for the said appointment and never arrived. At 8.00 pm they called me apologizing for not being able to come to the appointment and to plan for another day. In that same moment I chase all the services with this scam company that the only thing that they use are chemicals and at the end of the day they end up with your patio. I give a star because there is no option to give it -5.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Jose, this is not what we like to hear. We apologize for the difficulties you have had with our company. We'd like to look into this, if you don't mind – please send us a private message with your account details so we can help find a solution here. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had my son's hockey equipment laid out in the backyard drying in the son when TruGreen came to fertilize the grass. They paid no regard to the equipment and destroyed about $200 worth of gear that had to be replaced. When I called to complain they denied responsibility and offered no restitution. I canceled the account and refused to pay the balance. Didn't hear anything further until over 4 years later when I received a call from a debt collector. I would not recommend their service to anyone!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Patrick, this isn't something we like to hear. We'd like to look into this and try to make it right. Please send us a private message so we can take a closer look. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I requested service for my trees and scrubs (5 treatments @ $59.95) in addition to the other services for my lawn. No one ever showed to treat my trees and scrubs. I found out that they went to the wrong house and I was billed for a treatment that I never received. I called TruGreen and explained the situation but was told that I could not receive a credit. I called at least three more times, but was told again and again that they could not issue a credit.

I finally told them to cancel ALL services including service for 2019. I spend approx. $2,000.00 yearly with TruGreen (my personal home plus four rental homes). I have now contracted with a local company for 2019 for the same services. This lawn service has an actual office that I can walk in and communicate with. In summary, TruGreen lost my business over $59.95. The national toll free number is useless, they "bounced" me around for two months. Go with a local service, not with someone located out of state!

Hi Jerry,
We are very sad to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. This is not what you should expect from your TruGreen team. Though you are not with us anymore, we hope nothing but the best for your lawns- and if you need any help with cancellation please private message us with your account information.

Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had TruGreen for a year and I paid in full. They did the aeration next day after heavy rain and messed up my front and back yard very badly. I contacted them with pictures and details but no one came to visit and resolved anything. Once the next renewal came I spoke the salesman and he gave me credit for the whole year of the services. TG was doing the services and were sending me the bills even though I had a full year of credit so I was calling them every time when I was getting the bill and they were removing it after long discussions. At some point I stopped calling them as I was very upset and the salesperson should have put the credit in the system. Last month I got a letter from the collection agency for all the services they made. I am really very mad but no point wasting time on them but to pay the collection agencies as I don't want to mess up my credit score. Don't use this company as these people don't want to resolve anything.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Vipul, thank you for your comment. We'd like to look into your account and see how we can make this right for you. Please send us a private message with your account information so that we can take a look. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I started to use TruGreen in Aug 2017 for my lawn care. I purchased a one-year service plan which includes 7 treatment upon a phone commercial. They did 4 services in 2017 which was ok in general. On Feb 3rd 2018, I noticed my lawn started to grow a lot weeds, and it`s getting worse day by day. I called the customer service and was told they will send someone to check my lawn, nobody showed up as of Feb 22 and I had to file a survey on TruGreen website to get some attention. I was contacted by email and provided my cell phone number, was told a technician will call me. Again, nobody calls...

On Mar 5, I filed another complaint to them and was told technician has already treated my lawn... My wife is home all day and never saw anyone came or knocked the door, neither did I receive any call from them. 2 weeks later, the weeds is growing crazy and I had to call them again, this time I was told they applied the wrong product (for Fescue) on my lawn (Bermuda), and they will come back again, and they never came back. At this point, I was so frustrated and I called them to cancel the service, however I was told by the customer service person they could not refund my prepaid balance (part of one year package), and they will offer me a free treatment for compensation. I accepted and then I told them please stop my service after this one year package ends. So here is the dramatic part, on July 30, they did the 8th lawn treatment (supposed to be the free one they gave me as compensation) and sent me a bill.

I called them asking why they billed me, and was told, my purchased plan has been done and they automatically continue the service... I told them 2 things: one was that I did cancel the service in my last call, two was that even if they did this treatment, it`s the free treatment they offered as compensation of my weeds problem they`ve caused by using wrong product. The sad part is the service rep insisted they never received my request to cancel the service and I have to pay for it. I refused in the call and ask to speak with a supervisor, which as you can imagine never occurred. Since then, I kept being bothered by tons of calls (3 in week).

Their salesperson to ask me renew the service and service person to argue I need to pay for the treatment. They automatically continued for me without my consent. In order to avoid these annoying calls, I did patiently spoke in 2 calls with their reps to explain the background it`s their issue and they should stop bothering me by asking me to pay for the lawn treatment without my consent. This never worked. Since Oct this year, I started to receive mail and calls from their debt collector. This has been a nightmare and I wasted too much time to deal with these calls. This situation still continues, and I just want to share my experience dealing with TruGreen and hope you will not end up like me by using TruGreen.

Hi Liang,
Thank you for taking the time to write in. We are incredibly saddened to hear that you have had difficulties with our service. This is not what you should expect from your TruGreen team. If you need any assistance with canceling your account, please private message us with your account information so that we can get this taken care of.

Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have been getting my lawn done by TruGreen for five years. After the first year the lawn was not much better. I told them and they said it needed to be aerated and seeded. I did that for several years and then the lawn started going downhill. I would walk around the lawn and see where they were stopping about half way up the hill of my property. I never knew why and had to tell them several times that they were doing that.

I finally figured out why and it was several fold. I worked from home during the last several years and every time they came it was a different person. I had to go out and explain to them where the boundaries were with neighbors. If I didn't go out then the person would do maybe a third of the lawn or go over the neighbors lawn and do his. This is not a small lawn so that probably wasted a bunch of lawn supplies for them but they did not seem to care. Although, my neighbor did. So I had to be home for every application. Also, they would sometimes leave piles of product in one place and it would kill the lawn. When I called they would do nothing about it.

During all this time things were being added onto my account. I kept trying to remove them but the web site only allows you to say what you will not pay for, not what you want removed. You can not easily call the company and explain this to them because you get pushed off to a rep that continually says they want your business and does not take no for an answer. The straw that broke the camels back was that they came over to aerate and not only tore up my lawn but also proceeded to tear up my neighbors lawn AND his garden. I got home and my neighbor brought me up to the top of his lawn and was very mad.

I called them the corporate offices for several weeks and they kept giving me the run around about telling the "local office" but no one had ever called my neighbor to fix it. I asked them to have the "local office" call me to inform me when they have called the neighbor. I got a call a couple of days later that it was "being taken care of" and that they had talked to my neighbor. The neighbor came over two weeks later mad because nothing had been done yet and no one had called. I did not know this and thought everything was being taken care of because of the phone call I got. I finally got the corporate office to call my neighbor and then had them call me and I checked this time (probably should have checked with the neighbor the last time). The corporate office said that while they called him it did not mean much because, again, the "local office" would still have to get together with him.

After two more weeks the "local office" still had not called him. I called the corporate office yet again they said the "local office" would call him. I asked my neighbor before the snow started flying if anything had been done and he still said nothing had been done and no one had called him. Not only that but the "local office" ended up calling me again and told me that my neighbor was a corporate customer and because of that they could not tell me what they were doing to "fix the issue". I was asked by the "local office" to stop asking corporate to have them call me because the issue was being taken care of.

My neighbor is not a corporate or private customer so at that point I knew that the "local office" was not reliable. I am still trying to remove the service because I have had it with the company but the web site does not give you a way to do so and unless you are home during the "phone call" they do not cancel your service. Here I am with a service I cannot seem to cancel and a company that comes no matter and then sends you the bill even though they do not do the service correctly. Hopefully my latest try to cancel will be better but I am reviewing them so that others do not have the same problem. Please beware.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Gary, thank you for your review of TruGreen services. It sounds like we dropped the ball on several occasions for you and we'd really like to make it right. If you don't mind, please send us a private message with your account information so that we can look into this and find a solution for you. We appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

My experience was amazing. I would like to personally thank you Devonn **. You have my yard looking so outstanding. You’re such a hard worker and so dedicated to your job. You go the extra mile to help out your customers. You’re great asset to this company!!!

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad you enjoyed our service, and we will make sure to pass this on to Devonn!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Very bad experience. According the company service of spray is front and backyard. July and August service guy make wrong spray in front lawn and my whole front lawn burn and backyard was good because no one did spray in backyard. I call the company after one month. They send the lawn expert. Lawn expert had the same review.

No one spray backyard. Only spray front lawn after they treated front lawn but company send the bill for two services so many times I asked what type of bill for two services. Your guy gave two services and he did only front lawn not the full services and they did wrong spray. And my front lawn burn. Then they have only one reply. They gave service. Doesn't matter wrong or right spray you should pay for service. This is not fair. This is very bad experience. First you give wrong service and not full, and damage the lawn and charge the full service.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Sanjay, thank you for writing in. Your review describes service that is not on par with what we want you to expect from your TruGreen team. If you would, please send us a private message so that we can look into this issue and help find a solution for you. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I had purchased the lawn care and tree and shrub service for my yard. I had weed issues all year long and they did come out several times to try and kill weeds but it never worked. An inspector came over several times telling me I needed more services and tree and shrub service which I already had. I feel like that was a complete waste of money. The overseed and aeration I paid for was done by a new person and they just dropped piles of seeds all around. I disputed the bill and found out that they closed my account. I have had a bad experience in all ways.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Joshua, thanks for writing to tell us about your TruGreen experience. This is not the quality of service we pride ourselves on. We'd like to look into this further, please send us a private message so we can help with a solution. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

In order to see results you have to do your part and be diligent about proper follow up. If you do not see results call them and ask them to come and reapply. My grass was a mess and almost exactly 10 months of treatment it looks better than it ever has. I am a happy consumer yet was very hesitant to hire them due to negative reviews.

Hi Jared!

We are glad to hear your lawn is doing great. We are very happy to have customers like you!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My lawn is in better shape because of TruGreen. They treat my grass, shrubs and bushes. Cannot find weeds. Bushes usually look healthy. When there are issues with the looks of the lawn or shrubs, they are pointed out to me. If I want those issues to be dealt with, I request a specialist to attempt to correct them. They do their job. Thanks, TruGreen.

Hi Karen!

Sounds like you are will us for the "lawn" haul. We are thrilled you are pleased with your service and are so glad to have customers like you!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I started with TruGreen this year, my service has been better than I expected. When I had a question about what they were doing to improve my lawn the rep AHMED ** took the time to tell me what he was applying and the results I should expect. If I thought the treatment was not doing what it should I called the company and they replied we will re-treat, and they did, I got the good results expected. I will recommend TruGreen to my friends.

Hello Roy!

It makes us extremely happy to hear that you have had a positive experience with our service so far! We are proud to have technicians, like Ahmed, that take the time to make our customers' needs a priority.

TruGreen Lawn Care expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TruGreen was founded in 1973 in Troy, Mich. Today, the company headquarters are located in Memphis, Tenn. The company applies science-based solutions to meet residential and commercial lawn care needs.

• Scientific approach: TruGreen employs several individuals with Ph.Ds. in horticulture and other relevant subjects. These individuals design service offerings and training programs so that all TruGreen technicians fully understand the science behind lawn care.

• Service options: Interested customers can visit TruGreen’s website to learn about the variety of service plans the company offers. All plans include a Healthy Lawn Analysis®, targeted weed control and fertilizer. Some plans also include aeration and/or lime treatment to balance the pH in customers’ soil.

• PGA provider: Trugreen is the official lawn care provider of the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA). In addition to caring for the greens of PGA Championship courses, the company offers deals to PGA members.

• Community involvement: TruGreen is committed to creating green spaces for everyone to enjoy. Local offices have planted flowers and grass around public schools in Los Angeles and helped to improve landscaping at Memphis parks. In spring of 2016, the company helped to create a community vegetable garden and fruit orchard in Lansing, Mich.

• Tree and shrub care: Customers who are interested in improving the health and appearance of their trees and shrubs can add specific services to their TruGreen plans. Options include root fertilization, pest control, spring feeding and targeting trunk injection, which corrects nutrient imbalances.

• Best for: TruGreen offers services to meet most customers’ needs and budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information

www.trugreen.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.