2. Homeowners
  3. Lawn Care Companies

3.6/5 (638 ratings)

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Top TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TruGreen is an upscale lawn service company and it shows in the quality of their work (and) very knowledgeable lawn specialists. I'm really into curb appeal and TruGreen has made ...

Verified

TruGreen has made a very positive impact on my yard. Prior to hiring TruGreen my yard was about 50% weeds and the grass was in terrible shape. After 1 1/2 years of TruGreen my yar...

TruGreen Lawn Care services

TruGreen provides lawn maintenance services for personal and commercial clients. The company offers three base plans that include fertilization, weed control, aeration, overseeding and soil analysis services. They also provide lime soil amendments, tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services.

TruGreen locations

TruGreen's services are available in all 50 states, and you can find your local branch information or buy their plans and services directly on TruGreen's website.

TruGreen plans

TruGreen offers three major plans with services from soil analysis to fertilization. They can also provide amendments including lime soil, perform tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services. Other plans and add-on services are available.

TruHealth Lawn Plan
The TruHealth Lawn Plan includes fertilization, insect control, weed control and soil amendments to ensure balanced nutrients are in place for a lush, green lawn. TruHealth includes eight application visits per year.
TruComplete Lawn Plan
TruGreen markets the TruComplete plan as their best value. You’ll get everything included in the TruHealth Lawn Plan, service visits every four-six weeks, and one aeration service.
TruSignature Lawn Plan
The most comprehensive plan offered by TruGreen is the TruSignature Plan, which includes all of the services in the plans above, plus tree and shrub care with four additional visits per year.
TruMaintenanceLawn Plan
TruGreen's fundamental plan exclusively focuses on fertilization and weed control and includes seven services per year. All plans come with TruGreen’s Healthy Lawn Guarantee, which means they’ll make adjustments to ensure your satisfied with the plan and their service.
TruGreen pest control options
TruGreen offers lawn pest control services to prevent and control the following pests:
  • Ticks
  • Spiders
  • Mosquitos
  • Grubs (beetle larvae)
TruGreen aeration services
Aeration is recommended to help lawns that are suffering from patches, puddles or thin covering. The process allows more water, oxygen and fertilizer to reach your lawn’s roots, resulting in a thicker, greener lawn. TruGreen specializes in aeration and includes the service in both the TruComplete and TruSignature plans.

TruGreen cost

TruGreen prices will vary depending on where you live and which services or plan you select. To get an idea of how much the services cost, we got an estimate for 5,000 sq ft lawn in Tulsa, Oklahoma. You can see the prices quoted in the table below. TruGreen also offers PrePay discounts up to over $50 off your yearly cost.

PlanFirst applicationYearly cost
TruComplete Lawn Plan$29.95$777.6
TrueHealth Lawn Plan$29.95$568.6
TruMaintenance Lawn Plan$29.95$485.65
TruCare Mosquito Defense$39.95$464.70
Tree & Shrub Care$49.95$709.65
TruShield Tick and Flea Control$80.95$404.75

Is TruGreen worth it?

TruGreen’s collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to more in-depth pest control and lawn recovery services. If you can afford the monthly cost, we think TruGreen’s services and reputation in the industry are a good option for a great lawn.

TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: April 5, 2021

Matt ** was cutest, and efficient. When he arrived I needed to get my car out of the garage, he moved his truck so I can get out. He was respectful and did a good job with our treatment. I would recommend TruGreen and Matt to friends and neighbors.

Get buying tips about Lawn Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

Everyone of the technicians who serviced my lawn or mosquito care always approach their job with utmost professionalism and with kindness. It has been a pleasure to talk and let them know if something is not done correctly. Thank you and at this time of the virus and continued efforts.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Mary. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing Trugreen to be your lawn and mosquito provider. We hope to continue to meet or exceed your expectations for the services. If we can be of any assistance please let us know.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 14, 2021

Service tech either don't show up or stay in their trucks and don't spray your yard! And fill out a service completed form. Have it on video sitting. Doing nothing. I prepared and now try to get a refund. Do not use Trugreen. Buyer beware.

Original review: July 12, 2021

1st treatment was ok but I had to call them two weeks later as the weeds started to come back...they came back and did a quick treatment... Then came back to apply fertilizer for the next treatment...watered as usual...after a week or so my lawn was still not looking that good considering they fed it...and the weeds were all coming back.

I called them again and they sent their tech back to retreat the lawn...he did not know that I could see him on my ring recording...he was barely there 2 minutes and barely got all the weeds...I waited a few days to see if maybe he did get the weeds but NO... they are thriving..he might have been using an empty tank to spray the weeds...or feeding them!!

I called them again and told them that I could see the tech on my Ring device and that he barely sprayed...they rescheduled the treatment for today (June 12th) but no one has shown up...I called to ask the status and they told me it was on schedule...but I never got the track your tech email so they were supposed to update me about the time..

Still no show or call...so I called them again..now they tell me that they don't have me on the schedule at all...but could fit me in for Thursday..I said NO...my apt is for today and I made arrangements for someone to watch my dog today for this apt...they said they didn't have me on for today. A manager was supposed to call me back...still no call back.

I called them again...I was told that I have an apt for Wednesday!!! No one told me that they went ahead and scheduled me for Wednesday and never told me or got it approved by me!! I have gates that I have to unlock and a dog to worry about too!! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION!! By the way...what I got quoted (lower price) and what I am getting billed (higher price) is not worth this terrible service!

Original review: July 12, 2021

Steer clear there are many companies out there that can provide equally as bad customer service. After several attempts to get a service technician out to deal with my overpowering weeds after the first application they rescheduled my appointment twice and "tech ran out of product was their excuse". After no return phone calls after repeated request I finally asked for my money back, which they only refunded half of what I prepaid. Do your homework and read all the reviews that they have in Lewis Center Ohio.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Dennis, thank you for your response. Our records indicate that you spoke with the local office today. Please let us know if there is anything we may assist with at this time. Thank you. ~NB

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 5, 2021

I have been a TruGreen customer for several years, and I have been extremely unhappy with them these past few seasons. Last year I cancelled the Mosquito Defense Service because the chemicals killed vast numbers of bees and beneficial insects in my flower beds and veggie gardens. On 7.2.2021, TruGreen serviced my trees & shrubs with a product called "Mosquito Defense Service," which is what I cancelled last year. I called and the phone rep said they used the same chemicals for all their services. I asked why I was not told this when I cancelled the Mosquito Defense Service in 2020, but I didn't get an answer. Instead, I was told they would no longer use this particular chemical on my property and that she would put a note on my account. This is NOT how companies with integrity operate and, at the conclusion of this season, I will end my relationship with TruGreen. I no longer trust them.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: July 3, 2021

I am a new customer with TruGreen, two and half months in. So far technicians are coming as scheduled. I have had concerns that were IMMEDIATELY addressed. I am getting happier about the process. After the first couple of services my yard looked HORRIBLE. It is slowly, and I mean slowly looking better but still a lot of what they refer to as 'common weeds' that aren't giving up without a fight. I am going to trust the process for a few more months. Anyway I hope to come back and change that THREE star rating to a FIVE.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 26, 2021

I mowed my green, beautiful lawn twice this year at the beginning of the season. The idea was to have Trugreen come out and spray for weeds and fertilize. After 1 application the lawn turned brown and died. Corporate office advised me to contact the local Myrtle Beach Manager who did come by my house and advised me to continue to water and it would be fine. I watered for 2 weeks at their suggestion then we got rain for 10 days straight. My yard has NEVER looked worse. I’ll have to pay someone to come sod the yard next season. Don’t waste your money with this company. Unless you hate your grass!

Original review: June 8, 2021

Signed up with Trugeen last year. On the initial call while signing up I stated to the operator several times that I’m not home in the daytime and my gates are locked. Therefore I needed a call or text the day before all scheduled appointments. She assured me I would be contacted each time. Due to COVID last year I was fortunately home on all the appointments. Never once was I contacted in advance. I told the first three or four servicemen about not being contacted and each time they would say they would make a note of it and let management know. On one service I was home with the front door open and my garage door was open. I noticed the service truck outside my house. I put my shoes on to go outside and unlock the gates and found the driver loading everything up and preparing to leave. He had found the gate locked and rather than knock on the door he was just going to do the small front yard and leave.

Now today, not using Trugreen all this year so far, I found a voicemail on my phone they are coming tomorrow for a scheduled shrub and tree treatment I never ordered. Thought It would be a simple phone call to advise them I hadn’t ordered any service but found after being put on hold it would be approximately a 40 minute wait to speak with a human. Got on my account and searched it but could not locate anywhere to permanently cancel it. Now waiting for someone to call me back.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Updated on 06/08/2021: The company keeps sending me emails and phone messages saying they have signed me up for their services (I have secured copies of all these communications) and also their bills and how they'll come next week to service the lawn next week. I never signed up for these or consented in any way. I do not want or care for their services in any way. Clicking "unsubscribe" in their emails didn't work. If they show up, the police will be called and we'll be pressing charges for trespassing and destruction of property. I sent emails clarifying this and filed complaints with BBB and in every possible unbiased site such as Yelp and Google.

TruGreen representative Nicole ** retaliated by posting my address publicly here intentionally endangering the safety of my family. We will take every possible legal measure to protect ourselves and our children, including force. I ask Consumer Affairs to take down any identifying information before today 06/08/2021 5pm EST or we will hold them liable as well for endangering our safety and lives. Will be reporting this to the Attorney General of NJ and will be updating all the review in the unbiased sites to reflect this low immoral behavior of TruGreen.

Original Review: Just got an email from TruGreen with my name and address on it saying "Thank you for your purchase and for choosing our service, ..." But I never signed up or consented to service from them. I replied to the email saying "I never signed up or consented to service", left a message with the company, and filed a complaint with BBB. I am worried their technicians will show up anyway to spray my yard with pesticides that I absolutely do not want around my family. If anyone shows up, I will be pressing charges for trespassing. If they spray anything at all, I will press charges for destruction of property, endangerment of my children, and will make sure this ends up on the priority list of the Attorney General of NJ. These scammy companies need to be held to account for their shady practices.

Resolution response: June 29, 2021

The operations manager agreed to have a 1-1/2 pallets of sod installed which was done 10 days later and the area looks like it did last June, great. The area supervisor came by last week and sprayed a fungicide so the company is working to satisfy their customer and I appreciate that.

Original review: June 7, 2021

In June of 2020 I had 500 sq. ft. of sod installed, hired Tru Green in August. In January the sod turned brown, Tech said frost, by April it was 70% dead, Tech said Chinch bugs, In May supervisor said bad soil. Now looks terrible. Weeds on other side of yard intensified during this time and now they say there are weeds they cannot control or kill. I had to point out the problems every time they came because it was ignored in Feb. and March.

Original review: May 6, 2021

This is by far the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working with, The customer service is terrible, Expect at least 3 hr. wait times for customer service who will tell you there is nothing they can do about scheduling service. My lawn looks worse than it ever has - You will be better off going with a local service.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information