1.1/5 (74 ratings)

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Top TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TruGreen is an upscale lawn service company and it shows in the quality of their work (and) very knowledgeable lawn specialists. I'm really into curb appeal and TruGreen has made ...

Verified

TruGreen has made a very positive impact on my yard. Prior to hiring TruGreen my yard was about 50% weeds and the grass was in terrible shape. After 1 1/2 years of TruGreen my yar...

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care services

TruGreen provides lawn maintenance services for personal and commercial clients. The company offers three base plans that include fertilization, weed control, aeration, overseeding and soil analysis services. They also provide lime soil amendments, tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services.

TruGreen locations

TruGreen's services are available in all 50 states, and you can find your local branch information or buy their plans and services directly on TruGreen's website.

TruGreen plans

TruGreen offers three major plans with services from soil analysis to fertilization. They can also provide amendments including lime soil, perform tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services. Other plans and add-on services are available.

TruHealth Lawn Plan
The TruHealth Lawn Plan includes fertilization, insect control, weed control and soil amendments to ensure balanced nutrients are in place for a lush, green lawn. TruHealth includes eight application visits per year.
TruComplete Lawn Plan
TruGreen markets the TruComplete plan as their best value. You’ll get everything included in the TruHealth Lawn Plan, service visits every four-six weeks, and one aeration service.
TruSignature Lawn Plan
The most comprehensive plan offered by TruGreen is the TruSignature Plan, which includes all of the services in the plans above, plus tree and shrub care with four additional visits per year.
TruMaintenanceLawn Plan
TruGreen's fundamental plan exclusively focuses on fertilization and weed control and includes seven services per year. All plans come with TruGreen’s Healthy Lawn Guarantee, which means they’ll make adjustments to ensure your satisfied with the plan and their service.
TruGreen pest control options
TruGreen offers lawn pest control services to prevent and control the following pests:
  • Ticks
  • Spiders
  • Mosquitos
  • Grubs (beetle larvae)
TruGreen aeration services
Aeration is recommended to help lawns that are suffering from patches, puddles or thin covering. The process allows more water, oxygen and fertilizer to reach your lawn’s roots, resulting in a thicker, greener lawn. TruGreen specializes in aeration and includes the service in both the TruComplete and TruSignature plans.

TruGreen cost

TruGreen prices will vary depending on where you live and which services or plan you select. To get an idea of how much the services cost, we got an estimate for 5,000 sq ft lawn in Tulsa, Oklahoma. You can see the prices quoted in the table below. TruGreen also offers PrePay discounts up to over $50 off your yearly cost.

PlanFirst applicationYearly cost
TruComplete Lawn Plan$29.95$777.6
TrueHealth Lawn Plan$29.95$568.6
TruMaintenance Lawn Plan$29.95$485.65
TruCare Mosquito Defense$39.95$464.70
Tree & Shrub Care$49.95$709.65
TruShield Tick and Flea Control$80.95$404.75

Is TruGreen worth it?

TruGreen’s collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to more in-depth pest control and lawn recovery services. If you can afford the monthly cost, we think TruGreen’s services and reputation in the industry are a good option for a great lawn.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

So I have TruGreen for my lawn for 2 seasons. First season was fine. Very few issues or reasons to communicate. This season we are finishing I can say my lawn is about 50 percent crabgrass. My sprinkler system suffered a single zone failure and the technician thought it was damage from bugs. I call Trugreen and ask about the crabgrass and the guy I speak to says they will attend to it and asks me to buy a care plan for my landscaping as the tech told him it was big damaged. I looked. It was pristine and I had my local garden shop look and he said no issues.

I called Trugreen and told them and the guy says how can you trust someone else more than his tech. Needless to say I declined the additional plan and they never came to treat for crabgrass. A month later I speak to the tech who came for a regular applications and he tells me he can’t treat for crabgrass as he has been treating for bug damage and I tell him the zone in front is bad and it’s not bug damage. He has an oh I see moment and tells me it will be years to eradicate all the crabgrass. My big issue is it’s hard to catch the tech when they come as you get a text they are there and by the time you get there they are long gone. They spray fast and move on.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Got the text that they had arrived for service. Watched the tech get out of his truck and put the sign in the yard THEN DRIVE OFF! Got another text that service was complete!!!! HE NEVER EVEN TREATED MY LAWN! I have called TruGreen 4 times since this happened 3 days ago and still haven't got a callback. I think this warrants an escalation, yet no one seems to be too concerned. It makes me wonder how many other times this has happened when I wasn't home to see it (I'm usually not). Not only is it infuriating that they didn't do the service, but to have no one reach out after my complaint is absurd and just downright HORRIBLE customer service.

Get buying tips about Lawn Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

We paid for a full year's service upfront. About $900.00 they started out good the first 3 visits. Went downhill from there. All I can say is poor quality of work, herbicide & fertilizers. Then they sent a collection company. Said we owed them money. You bunch of thieves. And customer service made it even worse. Shame on you Trugreen.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

DO NOT USE TRUGREEN AS THEY CHEAT. I was charged for service in last Sept 2021 380$ and then 53$ in April and 58$ August 2022. They auto renewed my service and no one serviced my lawn from year. This is really bad and unprofessional stealing business. I called two times and told my concern but rep was so rude and kept insulting me like I am lying. I used TruGreen for at least 5 years and this kind cheating treatment they give. No one serviced my lawn and they don't even take effort to find if someone is actually servicing. Reps were rude and have no interest in knowing issue.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I have used TruGreen for a couple of years for the mosquito and tree service. This past season the service has become awful. Sloppy work, knocking over things in my yard and just stepping over it and leaving. The final straw was September 6th when they were doing the mosquito service, the worker slammed my privacy fence gate so hard he broke it. I was home and heard it, went outside to check and sure enough the gate was broken, and the guy was gone.

I called customer service and let them know what happened and they said they would pass it on to a supervisor. I did receive a call back the next day and was told she was contacting and area supervisor and someone would be out. I heard nothing and called again Friday afternoon and was told they were emailing the area supervisor. Again, I have heard nothing. Called again today to be told they would cancel my service and forward my concerns to a general manager. In the meantime, I have a broken gate that I will have to pay to have repaired (my fence was replaced about 4 months ago, so it is not old) and to top it off it rained the afternoon of my mosquito treatment, and the mosquitos are worse than ever. It says in their advertisement if it rains, they will respray; yeah right! I would definitely steer clear of TruGreen, their services and customer service has definitely deteriorated. I would leave less than on star if I could.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

First the nonprofessional lawncare expert lied. He was doing aeration on the yard. My husband opened the back gate, told my husband that he could not get the machine thru the gate and he would return with a smaller one and finish the job - Lied. He never came back. I called and rescheduled, meaning he meant to leave it as such. I called customer service and had the remainder of the job on 9/7 between 1-4. On 9-7 around at 3:48 pm I received a text stating gate locked. Yes it is locked, I was waiting for him to come to unlock the gate. He did not ring the doorbell. I have a Ring security system and HE DID NOT COME. I called customer service. Asked to reschedule it or have the tech come out on 9/7, told by a rep, sorry too late. Was scheduled for today without offering me a time frame, it got booked for today from 1-6. I had travel plans today and asked that the time to be moved up to 8 am. Was told that they notified the manager.

This morning no change, called customer service and they have been reaching out to this non manager since 8 am this morning. I cancelled my travel plans to get this done today because I will be gone for a while. The tech lied and continue to lie and inconvenience me. I guess they don't care, they took the 331.00 immediately for a third of the job done, now I have to wait, so unfair and unprofessional for a company that so-call pride themselves on customer service.

The service I am getting sucks, no consideration for my time, only their time, paid for a service not fully done and I cannot speak to the manager because he is avoiding me like the plague. He will not call me to try to make this right? Who is going to compensate me for my inconvenience knowing I had plan to travel today? Nobody. They don't care, and especially this manager that allows a lazy tech to lie to a customer. Is this how you do business? If it is-I will be seeking out a reputable lawn care company, that cares about the customers, not give them the runaround for a huge mistake this nonprofessional lawn care expert and his manager sucks.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

This lawn service rep serviced sod before 30 days of installation which was discussed with sales and ruined my front yard by running n over my front yard with brand new sod. Company time to resolve takes too long.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

This was our first year to use TruGreen. They started treating our lawn in April. After the first couple of applications in April and May the lawn looked pretty good. This was a very hot and dry year in our part of the country. In June the chinch bugs set in. They treated our lawn in June and July for chinch bugs and used iron. Our lawn looked worse than ever. Weeds and chinch bugs taking over. In August they used sulphur on it. Our yard was mostly gone by this time. We were planning to cancel. They told us we needed to water 3 times a week. With water restrictions and the cost of water that wasn't possible. It started raining regularly in late August, but our yard is weeds and dead patches. I am not sure our yard will recover from the damage they did. Save your lawn and money. Avoid this company.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I tried TruGreen for the first time subscribe to all their services and when I asked about having someone come and take a look at my lawn because it was not doing well they came said that they would apply more products but was not able to say the reason for the results I have I also sent a video Which never got answered of why my lawn died. On my last service they had added more for weeds and now at the end of the season I have more weeds and seems that whatever was put down to not keep the weeds under control or strengthen my lawn.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I've had Trugreen's service for over a year now, and my lawn problems are worse now than ever before. Cost is too high, Service is lackluster, and worse yet the product doesn't seem to work. Originally, I signed up to control Crabgrass and clover on my 1-acre property. Since signing up, they came and "fertilized" my lawn a couple of times, but always seem to have an excuse as to why they can't put down "weed killer". Recently, I lodged a complaint and got their guy to come out and do a "weed killer" treatment (which they want to charge me extra for, even though they should already be doing that as part of my plan), and after a week and a half (post-treatment), the weeds never died, and new weeds seem to be growing and popping up at the same rate as prior to treatment.

They say their product "takes time to work", and at first I was willing to buy that excuse. That being said, Scott's "Weed and Feed" works and tends to show results (especially in killing weeds) in 3 - 4 days. So why doesn't this supposedly "high-end" product and service seem to take months to work (if ever even does)? I started to suspect they were not putting weed treatment down.

I sat and discussed my issues with the serviceman before he sprayed, and then I watched him spray the lawn, so I know he did it this time. The serviceman also said he checked my account and the "weed killer" hadn't been used on my lawn in months (just the fertilizer has been applied). But the product is now down but NOT working. Not to mention every time they come out, they try to "upsell" another service (that likely won't work), and when you call them to say "hey come out, your last treatment didn't work..." they want to charge you AGAIN for another application. Which, if their product worked and was applied correctly, wouldn't even be necessary. I will be canceling their service immediately, as it is clearly a waste of my time and money. I highly suggest not going with this service if you have other options.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information