1.2/5 (78 ratings)

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Top TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TruGreen is an upscale lawn service company and it shows in the quality of their work (and) very knowledgeable lawn specialists. I'm really into curb appeal and TruGreen has made ...

Verified

TruGreen has made a very positive impact on my yard. Prior to hiring TruGreen my yard was about 50% weeds and the grass was in terrible shape. After 1 1/2 years of TruGreen my yar...

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care services

TruGreen provides lawn maintenance services for personal and commercial clients. The company offers three base plans that include fertilization, weed control, aeration, overseeding and soil analysis services. They also provide lime soil amendments, tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services.

TruGreen locations

TruGreen's services are available in all 50 states, and you can find your local branch information or buy their plans and services directly on TruGreen's website.

TruGreen plans

TruGreen offers three major plans with services from soil analysis to fertilization. They can also provide amendments including lime soil, perform tree and shrub maintenance, and pest control services. Other plans and add-on services are available.

TruHealth Lawn Plan
The TruHealth Lawn Plan includes fertilization, insect control, weed control and soil amendments to ensure balanced nutrients are in place for a lush, green lawn. TruHealth includes eight application visits per year.
TruComplete Lawn Plan
TruGreen markets the TruComplete plan as their best value. You’ll get everything included in the TruHealth Lawn Plan, service visits every four-six weeks, and one aeration service.
TruSignature Lawn Plan
The most comprehensive plan offered by TruGreen is the TruSignature Plan, which includes all of the services in the plans above, plus tree and shrub care with four additional visits per year.
TruMaintenanceLawn Plan
TruGreen's fundamental plan exclusively focuses on fertilization and weed control and includes seven services per year. All plans come with TruGreen’s Healthy Lawn Guarantee, which means they’ll make adjustments to ensure your satisfied with the plan and their service.
TruGreen pest control options
TruGreen offers lawn pest control services to prevent and control the following pests:
  • Ticks
  • Spiders
  • Mosquitos
  • Grubs (beetle larvae)
TruGreen aeration services
Aeration is recommended to help lawns that are suffering from patches, puddles or thin covering. The process allows more water, oxygen and fertilizer to reach your lawn’s roots, resulting in a thicker, greener lawn. TruGreen specializes in aeration and includes the service in both the TruComplete and TruSignature plans.

TruGreen cost

TruGreen prices will vary depending on where you live and which services or plan you select. To get an idea of how much the services cost, we got an estimate for 5,000 sq ft lawn in Tulsa, Oklahoma. You can see the prices quoted in the table below. TruGreen also offers PrePay discounts up to over $50 off your yearly cost.

PlanFirst applicationYearly cost
TruComplete Lawn Plan$29.95$777.6
TrueHealth Lawn Plan$29.95$568.6
TruMaintenance Lawn Plan$29.95$485.65
TruCare Mosquito Defense$39.95$464.70
Tree & Shrub Care$49.95$709.65
TruShield Tick and Flea Control$80.95$404.75

Is TruGreen worth it?

TruGreen’s collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to more in-depth pest control and lawn recovery services. If you can afford the monthly cost, we think TruGreen’s services and reputation in the industry are a good option for a great lawn.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 17, 2022

I was lured into signing up for their yearly plan by sales talk. Once I paid, no follow up, no response. They sent someone who had no knowledge of weed control and I raised the issue. No response from customer care from last 2 months. Do not fall prey.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 16, 2022

This company sells a product called Tru Shield. It is for mosquito defense and tick control. They sell you a service not telling you that they only go around the perimeter of your house and do not actually treat the lawn itself. Later when you question it the person doing the application tells you that it is an upgraded service - doubling your price!! Stay away from this company Customer service also stinks.

Get buying tips about Lawn Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2022

I signed a contract for the Mosquito Defense Plan. The salesman said that this would be a monthly service and that I could call in between services if I needed a re-application because the bugs were getting bad again. The in-between services would be free of charge. TruGreen came and made the first application on 4/29/2022.

Mid-May, I sent a chat message on the app asking for a reapplication. The rep assigned told me that she put in the request and I would have a re-application within the week. No re-application occurred. I called the toll-free number that Monday and explained that we did not receive service. They told me service is schedule for every 6 to 8 weeks. I told the rep that I was informed it was every month. The rep said I could call 3 weeks after application and get a re-application and that should get me to every 4 weeks.

This is not what the salesman told me. I again asked for a re-application. The rep said that the schedule was full, but that they put in a message to the local branch (#5678) to fit me in. The re-application should happen within one week. The week came and went. I called again. The rep apologized, offered me a discount on remaining services, told me that there were no appointments available, he made a note for service within 7 days and said they would have the local branch manager call me within 48 hours and I should be on "stand by" for that call. No call whatsoever. I called again today. Surprise - no appointments available but she put in a message to the local branch to call me within 48 hours and for application within 1 week. That will put me at 8 weeks from last application - at this rate, my last application would be in October - when it's snowing.

This company is a scam. They are not following through on promises. No one calls. Is there really a local branch?? If so, this manager has no customer service skills whatsoever. This is not the program that I was sold. It is a complete lie. They promise a re-service and then blatantly ignore the guarantee. I am still waiting for this "call" from the local branch that I doubt will ever come. Every time I call, there are no appointments available. Meanwhile, I dump more money into citronella candles and lawn sprays to try to enjoy my yard.

By the way, this program costs $1,000 for the season. And I still cannot sit in my yard without donating blood. Even if they come out now, that is 8 weeks since my last treatment and I expect I will just have to chase them again to get a service next month - and I fully expect to be told "the schedule is full - I don't know why you keep dropping off their schedule - we will put a note in for the local branch to reservice you within one week".

Original review: June 15, 2022

BEWARE - STAY AWAY! We were a first time customer and signed up for 7 treatments - 1 grub treatment and 6 fertilizer treatments. The first treatment was in mid-April. We didn't hear about the scheduling for the second treatment. We had to call in to confirm the timing, and were told a date in mid-May. That day came and went, no one showed up, and no one called us to apologize/reschedule. We called back. We were then told June 6th. We both explicitly stayed home from work to ask questions about lawn care to the technician. Again, no one showed up. Again we called. We were told "the rep never pressed confirm". We now have a window of June 12-14. Again... no one showed up. Again we called. Again Customer support told us the appointment was never scheduled.

This is now 2 months after the first treatment. No one ever called us pro-actively and we needed to micromanage the entire relationship. We called and got a full refund for the remaining service. They're good at taking your money. They're not good at meeting commitments. As a nationally operating company, I would expect greater organization, more proactive communications, and greater reliability. Only use this service if you'd like disappointment.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 7, 2022

I signed up for a service for them to come up seven times the first half off at $27 and the next six at $53 and they kept calling me and bothering me to sign up. They had me under two accounts which took forever to fix and get them to stop calling me. They came out for the first of seven at half price, $27 then came out for the second and charged me for two services, $110 when I only signed up for one at $50. They told me they did two at a time so charged me for two, $110 but I signed up for one at a time not two and should have five left not four. They are dishonest about their services and do not tell you that they combine services and charge you double.

I watched the person that was here and unless he combined chemicals he only went over my lawn spraying one time so I don't know what the two treatments were for. I immediately cancelled their service and will never use TruGreen again. After the first treatment I still had one type of weed growing over half of my lawn so I don't know what they sprayed for the first time. Maybe since it was half of treatment they only sprayed for certain weeds. Do yourself a favor and go with another service, not TruGreen, you will be wasting your money.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 6, 2022

Sent out excellent Senior Tech Shelton who explained that the brown spots on my lawn is because they over applied the application and it killed my grass. He applied and grass looked much better though still some brown spots he said he would plant grass later. Called TruGreen and they confirmed they would make Shelton my specialist but sent out others and now dozens of new brown spots due to new dead grass.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 3, 2022

TruGreen Service promised not to kill my flowers just weeds. Yea!! After first spray my plant losses I counted in 30$ and second in 100s. Took me 5 calls trying to cancel service, management kept asking to stay as customer, they will place notes and specialist will be discreet where he sprays. When specialist came he had no clue about my concerns (maybe he is not able to read?) so I walked him around my property and pointed places NOT TO SPRAY, he still did it. Now 10 years old Hardy Hibiscus bushes are curling like weeds, grape vine is dying, countless tulips. WHAT KIND OF POISON THEY ARE PLACING!!!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 31, 2022

Two months in a row TruGreen has sent an email saying the technician was on the way, then that the technician was there and then that the technician has completed service. The problem is that they DIDN't even show up and I'm on my front porch the whole time! A friend of mine a mile away has had the same issue. They're claiming they're spraying the lawn but there is no evidence; either signs left in yard, grass is wet or being visible entities. And the lawn still looks horrible. For those of you who trust they're showing up while you're working or out for a while or napping, you're being scammed! There are other reputable and honest companies to provide this service. Don't trust them to actually treat your lawn or even show up!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 27, 2022

What started out as great service turned into a nightmare. I hired TruGreen in the summer of 2020, because my previous lawn service/pest control company allowed my lawn to turn into a weed apocalypse then gave me a hard time about it. So I got someone else. And for the remainder of 2020 and for the most part in 2021, TruGreen managed to rehabilitate my very sad lawn. They were responsive, came out to re-treat when asked. They were friendly and answered questions. Life was good. Well, except that unlike 2020, TruGreen did not use TopChoice for the yearly fireant service in July 2021. They used Advion then ignored my question as to why. Mistakes happen, I know, but ignoring the question, and then not making it right? Hm. That really should have been my first clue.

In the fall of 2021, my normally reliable single point of contact said they'd call me with a price for 2022 in mid December 2021. Mid December came and went...and my followup texts and voicemails to them went unanswered. TruGreen was MIA. The call center was perpetual holdfest, notes sent to Customer Service from the web portal were unanswered. This should have been my second hint to GET OUT. When I finally managed to get someone to respond, I got several different prices, a promise of a call back...then more silence. I eventually just pre-paid for my 3 services via my online account because I figured they'd make it right. Silly me. Hope is just another word for denial...

Service didn't actually start until 1/17 and that was my first TruHealth lawn service for 2022. The second was on 3/8. My third TruHealth lawn service was on 4/11. [It's 5/26 as I write this.] And aside from the free re-services for weeds (3/30, 4/18, and 5/9), and the re-treatment for fireants (4/18 and 4/25) --they haven't been back. My lawn, despite supplemental irrigation and a decent amount of rain, isn't growing. It is sickly and yellowish. The only thing that IS growing are the weeds. Neighbors asked me what happened to it.

I don't like phone calls because I prefer having a written record of interactions with vendors -- it keeps things straight. And without a single point of contact this year, I use the online account portal or email to contact CS. And every time I'd send an email to Customer Service I'd eventually get 2 different responses -- sometimes with conflicting or incorrect info. It's also important to note that their response time is at least 3-4 days IF at all. And God help you if you send more than one email. You may get multiple responses that will all contradict each other. By last weekend I'd complained about weeds (AGAIN) and questioned why they hadn't been out to do the regular service since early April and...no response. The service manager, who gave me his contact info when he came out personally to take care of fireants on 4/25, was also non-responsive though he was copied on the email.

Yesterday was the point I decided I'd spent enough time trying to get them to perform as agreed. And I emailed that I wanted to cancel my account and have the remaining portion of my prepay ($650.67) returned to me. I got no response. So I texted the service manager and...he told me to go through the call center. Wow. So I called and managed to get to speak to someone who promised me a refund, but who didn't want to cancel my account before the refund. Oookay. She also said TruGreen would "make it right" first and get the techs out to take care of the fertilizer and the weeds and the fireants at no charge. Okay.

She even emailed me to tell me that the refund was "in process". Cool. Then I logged in to my account and saw that a TruHealth service was scheduled for 6/1. So I emailed her and asked about it. And about details of my refund. And haven't heard back since. I followed up today. Silence. This kind of runaround is probably what you can expect. When it comes right down to it -- TruGreen doesn't give a damn about me, my lawn, or doing the right thing. And if they do it to me, they'll probably do it to you too. I need my $650.67 back. ASAP.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 25, 2022

I have a new home that needs grass. Purchased 1 year of service including seeding. Got 1 treatment of something. Why treat bare dirt. Was told seeding will be in July! Also you cannot talk to local business. All calls through Atlanta.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information