4.11/5
Based on 973 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

TruGreen Lawn Care Video
TruGreen Lawn Care Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 24, 2018

3871 TruGreen Lawn Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been very pleased with the service and the personnel have been very good. The only problem I have is they have never pulled a soil sample of my yard. How do they know how much lime to put out with out this information. They are guessing when applying lime. They have no idea what the PH is in my yard.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for your review Henry. The lime application is optional and is used to condition the soil and does not require a soil sample. Have a great day!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Rich is a friendly and professional technician who lets me know what is going on with my yard and what I do and do not need. My lawn always looks great (4 and 1/2 years now!) I appreciate his hard work.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Last year late October, 2017. I signed TruGreen after having multiple discussion with TruGreen sales team. I have been reassured and provided a guarantee that I am in safe hands as far my lawn and trees are concerned. Their certified specialist scientifically tailors my plan to bring my lawn's potential. They will evaluate soil condition, client, etc.

Nothing happened like that. I did few service calls but no luck improvement in my lawn. Now I have been told to wait for few more months to reseed and good time to reseed is fall when my plan just gets over. TruGreen service guy told me that, "Previous TruGreen service guys did not do the good job on your lawn and they should have noticed the problem up front." He also told me that, "Your lawn is not as per TruGreen standard." I have showed them my neighbor's lawn grass which done by normal moving gardener which is much better. What's a point hiring TruGreen $$$ expensive service. Extremely extremely dissatisfied with the experience so far. There is no improvement in my front lawn.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Pankaj, We take our responsibility to you very seriously, and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Maurice ** is truly outstanding in every way. I highly recommend him and any TruGreen service. I have been a completely satisfied customer for over a year and won't trust anyone else with my lawn care needs. Give them a call today for prompt and efficient service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had previously maintained my lawn myself but was getting tired of pushing a spreader around and thought I'd let a professional do so I hired TruGreen. Big mistake. My lawn looks terrible after a year of service. Whatever they sprayed last looks like they sprayed grass killer. I have streaks and spots of dead grass all over my front lawn. I canceled their service and will have to do it myself again. So disappointed. What a waste of money!! If I could post pics I would.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Joe, we are sorry to hear that our level of service failed to meet both your and our standards. We want to assure you that we take your concerns very seriously. We would like to speak to you about resolving your concerns. Please message us directly for a speedy response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

TruGreen came to my house to aerate the yard. I was home at the time and saw what they did and they did a horrible job. We called TruGreen five times to discuss the service and even told them not to come back to our house. Every time we called we were told that a supervisor would call us back. Someone finally did call us and said they would send someone out to our house to look at what they had done to our lawn, no one ever came to the house or called us. Oh, I should say this all started August 23, 2017. They billed our credit card and we disputed the charge with the credit card company. We received a letter from the credit card company that the charge was reversed. Last week we received a letter from a collection agency for the charge.

We had not received any other notices from TruGreen so we thought this issue was all set. Even after telling them to cancel our service they sent someone to fertilize our lawn. I have now made three more calls to TruGreen to speak with a manager about the collection notice. I simple get from the answering service that someone will call me within 24-48 hours. I did receive a call on Monday but was not near my phone to answer it. I called right back and was told someone would call me within 24-48 hours. It is impossible to speak to anyone other than the answering service. I am desperately trying to resolve this bill and I can't. TruGreen is absolutely a horrible company and should not be allowed to treat their customers like this. They are going to destroy our credit. I will sue them if that happens.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Rep was very helpful. Contacted me upon arrival and departure. Explained treatment and lawn condition. Nice job by the rep who applied treatment chemicals! Prefer same rep for next and subsequent treatments.

TruGreen Lawn Care response
Ken, thank you for reviewing the experience that you had with your specialist.

We are happy to know that he was able to keep you informed about your lawns condition. If you would like, you can visit www.trugreen.com and complete the specialist survey in the feedback section of your "my account" page.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

TruGreen is like a parasite. I made a mistake of taking their service one year. They have become an irritation in my life. I paid upfront for 1 year service only, they continued for 2nd year and keeps calling for money, I paid up-front for 2nd year and said no more. That's it, cancelled the service. They are calling now again for money saying they continued service 3rd year. Don't know how to get rid of them.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I've found all of my experiences with TruGreen in Rocky Hill Connecticut to be frustrating, to say the least. Mostly due to their lack of communication between departments of their company, and with myself as their customer. This is not my first go around with TruGreen, but if this is how their customer service will continue, it will surely be my last. In the fall of 2016 when my family first signed up for (and fully prepaid) the 2017 year of lawn service, the first treatment was intended to be an aerate and overseed of our lawn. However, that same day that the aerate and overseed was scheduled (a Friday), someone from TruGreen came without warning and performed a weed treatment.

An organized lawn care company would understand that these two treatments cannot be performed on the same day. When the individual that we were expecting showed up to perform the scheduled aerate and overseed, we informed him that someone had already come that same day and performed a weed treatment. He completely agreed that a wait would be required before that treatment could be applied successfully. Someone then came the following Monday (3 days later) and did the treatment, agreeing afterwards that it was too soon and may not take. In case anyone reading this is wondering, it did not take. Fast forward to spring and summer of 2017, there were two separate occasions where TruGreen came to fertilize, and no weed treatments were performed. Given the failed seeding in the spring and lack of weed treatment that we were expecting, our lawn looked downright terrible all year.

When my husband called to voice his concerns back in April 2017, we were told by TruGreen that we would receive a refund of a specified amount, in acknowledgement that services previously performed, were done so poorly. We promptly received that refund. Fast forward to summertime, we began receiving bills for summer treatments that were included in what we already prepaid. The refund we received was absolutely NOT intended to be a refund of our prepayment for future services during the year, that TruGreen would then turn around and re-bill us for. How would that have compensated us for the lack of quality service we received? It wouldn't have at all.

In order for the refund to be the true reflection of what we were promised, the refunded amount should be reflected against services PREVIOUSLY PERFORMED, not for those prepaid that had not yet been completed. To be perfectly clear - it was a refund for poor service. It was not a credit from our prepaid future services. To be re-billing us again for this is both fraudulent and at odds with what we were previously told in April. I'm putting this in writing because it doesn't seem as though the verbal communication is making any progress. I tried to log into our account online to see if anything had been resolved as promised, and it appears to be locked.

I reached back out to the TruGreen individual who provided us an account statement, and received no response. I went so far as to fill out the "Contact Us" section of the TruGreen website, and STILL did not receive a response. This is my last attempt before also contacting the Better Business Bureau in Connecticut. The bill we have been receiving is for less than $100, however, it has gone unpaid. As far as my family is concerned, TruGreen did not complete all of the services on our lawn this year that we paid for. We recently received a letter from a collections agency. If they had any intention of resolving this issue, I would have received a response from any of my forms of communication noted above.

I'd also like to state that when we previously signed up for TruGreen services in 2013/2014, this is a very similar customer service experience as we had back then. Only that time they never offered to refund for poor service. TruGreen called us weekly between 2014 and 2016, bordering on harassment, offering us their services, and we were promised an improved process with better communication. We took another chance on your company and are incredibly disappointed that this situation went even more poorly than the first time.

To make matters more interesting, I figured having an outstanding bill would spare us from TruGreen's weekly sales calls attempting to sign us up for the 2018 season. Also not the case! We received our first call last week. My husband attempted to explain the circumstances, and the sales rep indicated he could help look into the issue for us. Also, no response. I cannot stress enough how difficult it would be for me to ever recommend this company to a friend or a complete stranger.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

After fighting spotting on my red tip bushes and fungus on my lawn, I decided to hire TruGreen to tackle the problem. I paid for a year in advance for tree and shrub service and lawn care. They started work in February and by April I was calling them. Not happy, they explained it takes time. By June I still wasn't happy so when I was asked by email to review the service, I gave them a very unsatisfactory review. A Manager contacted me and asked to meet me at my house to go over my issues with the service. I showed him everything that I wasn't happy with and he came up with a plan of attack. They treated and treated again, but by October it had only gotten worse. I received another email review and I gave them another bad review and I was contacted by a different Manager. He also met me at my home and came up with a plan again. He did explain that things were going dormant and we wouldn't be able to tell if things worked until next spring.

I explained that I didn't want to keep throwing money at a no win problem. He told me he would work with me on the financial part. The lawn deteriorated even more and now I have big dirt spots. Fast forward to today I was called to start service again this year. I asked to talk to the last manager I talked to and was connected with him. I explained again that I didn't want to keep throwing money away. He reassured me that they could fix the problem but it would take time. My offer to them was to spray my bushes and lawn for six months and if they showed improvement I would pay for the whole year. They declined, they wanted me to just keep paying and take their word things would get better. I've cancelled their service and plan on tackling the problem myself.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi John, We take pride in bringing you the best science-based lawn care products and services, and your feedback is very concerning. We are eager to work with you to correct the issues with your experience, and we would like to connect with you at your earliest convenience. Please private message us, to better assist in resolving your concern.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Lawn worse after a year with TruGreen - I was using TruGreen to maintain my lawn while I wasn't a full-time resident for half of the year. Upon moving in full time, I noticed that during the core-aeration only the front lawn was done. I inquired and was informed that was all I had paid for... not true. I contacted them and they verified that in fact my program was for the entire yard (front, back and sides). They came back out and did the remaining lawn and did issue a partial refund for not doing the entire yard for the majority of the year. The very next application - once again only the front was done. Repeated attempts by them to eradicate the weeds in the sides and back were not successful.

Going with another vendor as I just don't trust them and the treatments they tried, just didn't work. Some of the people there did seem to make an attempt to correct the situation - but at the end of the day... they weren't able to do enough. If you sign up with TruGreen, make sure you are always there when they service your yard so you can make sure you are getting what you paid for.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My wife and I signed up for a specific treatment plan. It included the same number of treatments as the previous year for relatively the same cost. This year, I asked them to come retreat an area and we were told there would be no charge for the service. Now they are overcharging us and when I called I was originally told there was no manager I could speak with. I am done with this company. They are dishonest and provide poor service. This was just only one example. Please beware.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Kendall, Thank you for taking the time to share with us your dissatisfaction with your recent service. We work very hard to deliver the best possible services to you and all of our customers, and we were very disappointed to learn that you found your service to be less than first-rate. We would like to resolve your concerns, please contact us directly to better assist you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

If it were possible to write this review without selecting a rating I would. My front & backyard looks really bad. Even worse after they have been treating it. They came to my house around 3 times and every time they came the person only did treatment in the front, not the backyard and I call to complain and they did it over and over only at the front and they said that they did it in the front and backyard and that is not correct because I work from my home and I see who comes in and goes out. They are ripping people off. I canceled my service but they are insisting I pay for the last treatment that I did not get my full service. I called and spoke with a young lady to explain I did not think I should have to pay and suggested I will write a review on Google and BBB. I checked to ensure I had the address she gave me. My rating for them -0. Stay away from this company.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Carlos. We take our responsibility to you very seriously and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please contact us through a private message and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

We were not satisfied with your service. Jeff yes... We wanted our lawn to look nice for a family reunion... It looked terrible. The reunion wasn't until the middle of August. So plenty of time. One guy came. We didn't see him at first. Didn't have us move cars. Seemed in a hurry. One guy came day before reunion. We had campers here. He was going to spray?? Really. We said no then. A little too late I'd say. Anyway do not want your services for 2018.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Sandy. We take our responsibility to you very seriously and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please contact us through a private message and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Paid upfront for annual service... Had several problems throughout the year. Mainly when they plugged and seeded my yard they spread grass seed everywhere!! Filled the flower beds, filled the driveway, filled the rock beds...what a mess! Had to have them return several times as weeds were terrible... then was told it would cost even more if I wanted the lawn problem treated that I never had before them. Then once my contract was up they kept coming. I called the account manager and told them to stop. I told him definitely don't let them come back and throw grass seed all over again and they came ANYWAY!!! Now I have a terrible mess again and to make it even worse they keep billing me for services that I told them I didn't want and now they're sending me letters from a collection company.

I have called and text the account manager asking why he doesn't correct this and I get no response… We even talked about this when I contacted him and told them to stop coming!! But now no response. What a terrible terrible company!! I will be posting on every site I can including social media and every other source I have available to me. I have never been so disappointed and harassed by anyone in my entire life... How sad… PS If needed I can post pictures this spring of all the new grass in all my flower beds and driveways. It looks terrible!!!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Steve. We take our responsibility to you very seriously and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please contact us through a private message and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Good service. Hope the tree sprayings bring back my plum trees in the spring... as was indicated. Lawn care is very fine; no complaints at all. Techs are courteous and I'm glad to receive a description each time of what they have done.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Steve thank you for recognizing TruGreen's efforts to ensure that your trees/shrubs are healthy and thriving! It is a pleasure to serve you

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

TruGreen bought Scotts Lawn Care, seems like they were not prepared for the merge. The employees are force to work 40 houses instead of 20 to 25. What translated for the customer is they have to hurry up, no caring for the quality of the work. They don’t get pay more, for the reason service declined. Employees don’t care, because they are pressure to work faster. Customer got a bad service. Employees are abused. I don’t give my business to companies, who don’t care for their customers.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Rosario. We take our responsibility to you very seriously and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please contact us through a private message and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I was attempting to claw back an area was infested with blackberry vines and horsetails, the most insidious weeds to try and control. I didn’t think is was possible. After clearing the area, tilling it and having it hydro seeded, I started TRUGREEN lawn service. It took most of the summer, but now the weeds are under control and it looks like a lawn. I am amazed it worked! I’m very satisfied with the service. The technicians are reliable and helpful with recommendations on how to make improvements in the lawn.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for your feedback Bill, it is much appreciated.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

The good news is that my lawn looks great from early spring until the snow falls. The techs are efficient and leave notes regarding the treatments that they do. The notifications before their visits are good because we are often not home and the advanced notice helps me plan my next lawn mowing. The bad news is that the shrub service protects the shrubs but does nothing to combat the weeds that spring up in the shrub bed and then proceed to get into the lawn. It would be nice if something could be done to contain these weeds. I come home after a trip and find these weeds overrunning the shrub bed and spreading into the lawn. Finally, your sales people call 2 or 3 times per season to get us to take an extra service. My wife really doesn't like these calls. One call at the beginning of the season to discuss the coming year would be better and give me a happier wife.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Daniel, we appreciate your review. We apologize for any annoyance caused by our sales team. I have listed your account as a do not upsell. Additionally I would like to ensure that you are aware that TruGreen offers free and unlimited reservices in between your regularly scheduled paid visits upon request, to address additional concerns (such as weeds). Please do not hesitate to contact us (8004584186) anytime you are experiencing stubborn weeds. We will be more than happy to supply an extra application.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

In 2016, I hired TruGreen to treat my lawn. The experience was fine, but I chose NOT to use them in 2017. For whatever reason, TruGreen occasionally came out to my property this year to treat my lawn -- despite the fact I NEVER hired them. And now they expect me to pay for a service I never wanted? It makes no sense.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi Chad. We take our responsibility to you very seriously and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please contact us through a private message and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Great service and staff. No charge to come back if weeds don't go or I have questions. Easy online access to my account. Affordable. Not locked into a contract. Leave behind info after each visit. Office staff at this location very knowledgeable and call me when I have an issue. Customer care is a local person. She doesn't just answer the phone but can help answer concerns.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for taking the time to review your satisfaction Art.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Excellent service, good communication of when will be out to spray lawn. TruGreen takes the burden off of me taking care of my lawn. My lawn looks so much more amazing since starting on TruGreen. They show up at their intended times and perform their job well!!!

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for your review Michelle. We are truly pleased to know that you are satisfied

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

TruGreen came to my house and I never requested services. I called them and said to them I never asked and scheduled services. They came back again and provided more services. I called again and talked to customer service and supposedly they cancelled the bill. Yesterday, I got a bill from collection agency hired from TruGreen for 46 dollars.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Hi David. We take our responsibility to you very seriously and are greatly concerned about the experience you mentioned. In order to resolve this for you, we would like to speak with you directly. Please contact us through a private message and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

TruGreen does a good job and are. They are very reliable. Prices are reasonable. They are here when they say they will be. Calls before to let you know they are coming. Customer service is very friendly. Not a long wait time to reach one.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you Gail for reviewing your positive service experience. It is our pleasure to serve you and are happy to know that our process is befitting for you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We moved to this home in Feb. 2017. It is a brand new home, however, during the period of months before we occupied, the sprinkler system was never turned on and thus the grass was dead in many areas. TruGreen has helped the grass to begin recovery and it is now looking much better. Thank you guys for your help.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

George we are happy to have recuperated the areas and restored the appearance of the landscape. Thank you for choosing TruGreen.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Results exceeded expectations in both general appearance of my lawn and convenience to the household. Applications never disrupted our outdoor lifestyle so that made the experience friendly. Your lawn is the first impression anyone sees of your home and it helps to have that great green entry.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Mark we are thankful that you have entrusted us to maintain the curb appeal of your home, and have been satisfied with your decision to do. Thank you for choosing TruGreen!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Appearance of lawn has become fuller and almost weed free. At times surprised when specialist arrived. Specialist articulate when suggesting how to improve and address other plans to improve and protect lawn and other vegetation. Price reflects the quality of the lawn's appearance. Depending on conditions liquid applications were applied rather than granular.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Anthony we appreciate the time that you have taken to review your service experience and are pleased to know that the lawn is progressively becoming weed free and fuller!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

The service they provide and their specialists are top quality. Our lawn looks 10 times better since TruGreen started taking care of our lawn. They are always prompt and efficient, and never mind answering questions that we have. Thank you for your excellent service. We are so glad we have you taking care of us now.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Wow Linda we are blown away by your review. We are so proud to know that you have been served well, in all aspects of your TruGreen experience. Thank you for partnering with us!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I really like your company but your prices keep rising. I would choose another company. If I find another company that is cheaper, I will change, sorry. We are retired and extra money is tight. Our lawn with your care is impeccable, we get many compliments from our neighbors.

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Thank you for the review Stan. We most certainly do not mean to cause you any inconvenience due to pricing. If you would like to send us a private message with your customer # and current affordability we would love to make some adjustments for you!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have to admit that TruGreen is the only lawn service I have used so I might be a little bias on rating them? In short My wife and I lived in quite a few different places in our 52 year marriage but we never had such nice thick beautiful grass as we have had using TruGreen? Just a fact? Not sure if they were/are responsible for all of it but they really did help I'm sure of! The grass actually growed so thick if you didn't keep it cut. It was a problem which happened to me this year but that's another story itself?

TruGreen Lawn Care response

Paul thank you for always sticking by our side and continuing to allow us the opportunity to help the property to flourish. Also congratulations on 52 beautiful years!

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information

www.trugreen.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use