1.1/5 (82 ratings)

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About TruGreen Lawn Care

TruGreen aims to give you a lawn you'll love. From turf to trees and shrubs, we have assembled a collection of scientists and local specialists who develop and tailor exactly the solution your lawn needs. We offer tailored science-based solutions to provide superior lawn results to give your lawn exactly what it needs at key points throughout the year. We back it all with our TruGreen Healthy Lawn Guarantee.

Pros

• Pest control services
  • Healthy Lawn Guarantee
  • Multiple plan options

Cons

• Won’t fit every budget

Bottom Line

TruGreen's collection of services covers the lawn care spectrum, providing options from simple maintenance to pest control and lawn recovery. If you can afford the monthly cost, TruGreen's services is a good option for you.

Banner image

Looking for lawn care?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

TruGreen Lawn Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TruGreen Lawn Care?

Original review: March 31, 2022

Not professional. Don't lose your money and time. The BAD company. I am not happy my land looks bad. Not professional. Don't lose your money and time. The BAD company. I am not happy my land looks bad...

Original review: March 30, 2022

Last year we had treatment for bugs in the lawn. The next day, the grass started to turn brown. I put the sprinklers on and the water would not absorb because the ground was like cement, just laid on top. Despite numerous calls to local and regional TruGreen, I was told to call the main office. I did that and they said somebody would come out, and nobody did. I kept calling every few days and then they ghosted me. Our yard is still without grass or vegetation. TruGreen says they guarantee that you are satisfied or they will 'make it right'. When they did not respond, after a month and a half, I reversed the charges. Now they have put it into a collection agency. On Feb 3 I finally reached a man at TruGreen, named Matt. He assured me they would resolve the collection issue, but they have not done so.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I used their lawn service last year, was beyond dissatisfied, my lawn looked worse at the end of summer than before. I'm retired so I witnessed a few times that they came, mostly sat in their truck then made two or three quick passes, spent maybe two minutes in the application put out the signs and left. I jumped through all these hoops to cancel at the end of summer, well here they were yesterday, unannounced, made an application and charged my debit card. I called and was told that my card would not be charged, that I would receive a bill and would give me a discount. Not true, there is a full charge on my debit card this morning. This seems to be their method of operation, many unhappy customers.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Started with TruGreen mid summer 2020. I liked the updates and what was done with the lawn. Winter of 2020/21, I start getting invoices. Call customer service. Very polite people, definitely working the upsell though. The invoice was over $800. I paid $300 the previous year. I talked with the rep for roughly an hour to get the invoicing straightened out and also got the price dropped to $350. Same thing this year. $800+ invoice. I call again. Waste an hour of my life with their CSA who has to talk with a manager about authorizing a price. This time they wouldn't budge. Sorry, you need to be competitive with other lawn care services as well as the homeowner doing it himself. Which is what I'll be doing.

Original review: March 26, 2022

My experience with this company has been most frustrating. Depending upon the tech which they send out you can get honest and dependable service. Yesterday's service was more typical. I get a call from Trudy that they will do two services the next day...tree fertilization and horticultural oil. I'm home on the day they arrive so decide the watch the techs in action. The first tech shows up for tree fertilization, and the guy is a geezer just like me and it looks like he's going to die carrying around that hose. I have an acre yard with a lot of trees and after about five minutes in the back yard, looks at the remainder of the 15 trees in the back yard, gasps, and just decides not to do it. Also misses the one tree in distress in my front yard. Takes off about 25 minutes after arriving, at least half of which is rolling up the hose and writing the service ticket.

I then get a call from Trudy saying that Joseph has cancelled my second treatment the horticultural oil treatment because of "weather conditions" and will reschedule. Nonetheless at 345 the same day, a Friday afternoon, I see one of their techs rolling into my driveway (ignoring the no trucks sign) and it's Joseph, another senior citizen who should retire, or as I like to call him "Quick Draw" who I've mentioned to the company before, and specifically telling them I did not want this guy on my property. His specialty is spending as little time as possible doing the actual job and spending as much time sitting in his truck checking his mobile phone. He points his sprayer in the general direction of his targets, hitting some, missing most. His printer is always broken and never leaves a ticket. Alas, he "services" my one acre property in his usual 8 minute treatment and then retreats to the truck to check the cell phone.

After reviewing the comments on this site I now believe that this company is nothing more than slick marketing (PGA Tour marketing, etc.) which beguiles its customers into thinking they are getting something they can trust. Now I feel I have to watch them like a hawk to avoid being ripped off. A service manager is supposed to contact me, but the problem is bigger than that I fear.

Original review: March 24, 2022

We are so frustrated and feel completely disrespected by this company. My husband has been asking for a solution for the past 6 months. After multiple, admitted errors on their part (in writing and by phone), our lawn has continued to be a disgusting dirt patch. After they killed everything in our yard, we had to pay a different professional to have our yard re-seeded. My husband called to inform True Green and shared specific instructions (e.g. not to spray pre-emergent) and they have sprayed it multiple times since then, which stopped the new grass seed from taking/growing.

Each time, the person looking in the system acknowledged that these notes were captured on our account! Most recently, my husband gave them additional chances to remediate the situation (something they claimed to be working on) because we were in a time crunch and selling our house. We did not receive any solution or even an explanation as to why they were unable to assist. The focus of our battle will now solely be on getting reimbursed for the money we’ve spent servicing our own lawn, since our actual lawn servicing company has refused to help! We will make it very clear to all perspective buyers that the state of the lawn is due to these admitted errors by Tru Green.

Also, in closing, here are a couple things we’ve learned: 1-When you call the main customer service line and they finally agree to have a supervisor/manager contact you, they will not provide a direct call back number should you miss the call. The whole process starts back over. It is the equivalent of calling in to a cable company and having to start over every time.

2-the people that come out to complete the service seem not to have any access to the notes in the system! My husband has ran out to greet and check in with the last couple technicians only to find that their order was completely different than what was decided over the phone. One time, they told us they would be sending a manager to discuss next steps/ways to fix it, and they just sent a regular tech out who immediately began spraying without knocking on the door because he obviously had no knowledge of what was “scheduled” on the phone. He stopped as soon as my husband came out and explained the situation and apologized for the miscommunication. This is never their fault; the techs are usually so nice and understanding, but the company literally sets them up for failure due to their ineffective system. Overall, we are so upset that this company has added so much stress to an already stressful period of time.

Original review: March 21, 2022

TruGreen serviced my home in two different locations and while providing services in CT they attempted to seed my yard in 100 degree weather. I tried to stop it with no success. When I complained I was charged (twice), blamed, and for over 8-months I have tried to resolve the billing. I canceled the services and was contacted with a very rude person. I received a call from TruGreen corporate telling me they would finally credit me and they apologize; then another call a few days later telling me that they didn't make any billing or service mistakes and would not be credited. I have showed bank statements, documented conversation and still this nonsense. I have contacted the BBB and soon legal counsel. I WOULD NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND THIS UNPROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION.

Original review: March 12, 2022

20 years ago. They called my home. Spoke to my Mom. Stated they spoke to my Dad. That he wanted to set an appointment up. When my Dad did that for a living. Plus my Dad had just passed. I called them. Spoke to supervisors and managers. That the calls and mail would stop. It has not! Today hung up on twice. They are heartless and uncaring. I am not even a customer. And they don't care what I have to say.

Original review: March 12, 2022

TruGreen multiple times would say they are coming, say they were here at the residence or at our business, never show but send bills having never done anything. Every time I called (5 different times) the person would log the complaint and say they would send someone out to do it for me "this time". Would never show up but message me that the "tech has arrived" and "_____ has completed your lawn treatment." I canceled due to this never ending issue. A year later they call me back up wanting to make it up to me and did the EXACT SAME THING. DO NOT EVER GO WITH THIS TERRIBLE COMPANY!!

Original review: March 10, 2022

This year I wanted to get professional help with my yard since the last couple of years my lawn wasn’t looking so great. I decided to go with the True Green True/Complete Lawn Service. They said the first service is 50% off. They also said the aeration was a separate service. 2 days after signing up they scheduled 2 visits for one day. I have cameras installed around the whole house. In the morning, the technician performed the aeration. It seemed ok but I wish he hit the small part of grass on the other side of my driveway. I was good with the service though.

Later in the afternoon a technician arrived and I monitored while they took 2-3 minutes with a spreader for both front and back yard. I really did not feel confident about the quick trip around the front and back. The technician was at my house probably for a total of 10 minutes but about 3-4 of them was outside of the truck. Then I got 3 invoices. 1 for aeration, 1 for potash service using a spreader, and 1 for the true complete service using the spray with what I’m guessing is fertilizer and pesticide.

Well, as you can read, I did not see any type of spraying being done. I called and they tried telling me I received 3 services today. I literally have it all on camera that the afternoon technician only used a spreader for about 3 minutes and left. They ended up setting up the spray service 2 days later. They called it “free service.” How in the world is it free service when they already charged me for something they didn’t do. Also the promotion is 50% off for the first service but on the very first day they provided 3 separate services which ended up being around $230.

The aeration was about $150 and you only get 50% off of one of the other services. That was very sneaking of them but if that’s how they do business, ok then. The point is if I didn’t have cameras I would have never caught them charging me for a service that they did not do. So now that I read a bunch of other reviews with similar stories, it is not a lie. I’m off to a really bad start with True Green. I have 7 more services this year. Hopefully they can turn it around but my first impression of them is not good at all and I am already regretting the move to use a lawn service this year.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

People it’s almost spring time, DO NOT attempt to call TruGreen. You will be so disappointed, they will keep coming unannounced and don’t do the job, just sit in the truck and leave a sign in your yard. I have seen them on my CPI camera and neighbors have witnessed also. They will say they’ve down your front and back yard when they don’t go around the back. Every time you call for a manager, they say the manager will give you a call but never do. DO NOT go with trugreen!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I had my tree and shrubs application done by TruGreen on 12/10/21, few days later my shrubs discolored and then died, after multiple calls a tech was sent, he stated it was not due to the application. But I have had previous service and nothing happened to my shrubs. Fast forward 1/11/22, tree and shrubs application was done and now rest of my shrubs are discolored and appear to be dying the rest that was not affected with the December treatment. I have called multiple times to speak to trugreen regarding my dissatisfaction. Please be careful with this company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I received a text stating that the technician had arrived at my residence. My wife was home and I told her to watch them because they are known for not doing any work. I also watched through my Ring camera as the truck was parked in front of my home for about 6 minutes when I received another text that the work was completed. I watched the technician as he got out of his truck and placed a sign in my yard. Then he got in the truck and drove away. I then received a 2 page report of all the work that was done to my yard. It's amazing that he did all of that and never left his truck! Really gifted technicians with super powers. Don't they know this is the age of cameras? LOL.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I hired Trugreen to fertilize three of my customers' lawns (I own a lawn care biz). They did not service my customers' lawns in a timely manner at all. Then, to make matters worse, the commercial person in charge at my local office (Springboro Ohio) lied to me several times about this issue. I then went over his head and the general manager was just as bad. They don't care about their customers at all. All they care about is making money. Don't hire them.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I work from home and watch the TruGreen "specialists" when they are supposed to be treating the lawn which is in the back and the front of the house, as well as a small side portion. There have been times that the specialist never leaves their truck except to put a notification on my door. Some of the specialists walk to the back of the house and spray in one small area. They are not treating the grass with as much fertilizer as they are stating on their invoice.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

TruGreen is a complete waste of money. We bought a house last year and pre-paid for a season of Tree + Shrub service and the TruHealth Lawn Plan. They came but it honestly looks like nothing is ever done. They spray the yard and everything looks exactly the same. We still have weeds. They won't let you cancel online and make you talk to someone. Whenever anyone calls they call from a 1-800 # so you can never get ahold of your sales rep directly. This business is terrible and I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone I know.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

This was the worst experience we had so far. We were promised and paid for the complete lawn care which is almost $800. The first treatment was a fertilizer and something that was supposed to make some changes to our lawn and remove the weed, but it exactly did the opposite and we have more weed now. Then they came for overseeding and aeration, we accidentally noticed that they are not going to overseed because they don't have Bermuda seed at all. They didn't tell us that when they wanted to charge the complete money. Their specialist said, "You go buy the seed yourself and apply it to your lawn yourself." We want our money back but when we called and asked for a manager they didn't escalate us and promised us a call from a manager. We received a call from a help desk again but they didn't put a manager online to respond. This is fraud. They will not give you the service they promised and they are not responsive.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Spoke to Yolanda to cancel our service. She was nice at first. However now she is telling us what the company "can't do" for us and there is no one higher than her to speak to or email. TruGreen has used chemicals that have ruined our lawn. We have called on these issues prior and the last time, a gentleman came out from Fellsmere on his day off and he admitted TruGreen was using chemicals on our lawn that ruins it and burns it. TruGreen always comes when it rains. We have been told not only by TruGreen's very own landscaper but other landscapers that this should not be happening and the chemicals used are ruining our lawn. The man that was here from Fellsmere said he took pictures and sent them in and made note that the chemicals are indeed ruining our lawn. Not only are we not paying for today's service, we are seeking our money back for each time TruGreen came out after the man from Fellsmere came. This is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

They are suppose to control the weeds in my lawn but they killed my lawn and the weeds thrive. What a waste of money. I will never use this company again. They don't know how how to maintain your lawn and your garden.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Years ago I hired TruGreen for myself and later bought lawn service for a friend, whose husband had passed away. It seemed very simple. I paid for her service, and TG was to treat my friend's lawn. Instead, I entered a billing and notification nightmare and lost countless hours of my life trying to straighten that out. What felt like thousands of calls and lost time, I finally found a fabulous women at the corporate office who was able to eventually fix the billing vs. the actual site of the 2 DIFFERENT addresses of the lawn care sites. Believe me, it was not easy to obtain that information and that was about 7 years ago-now I'm sure it would be IMPOSSIBLE to reach anyone in the head offices. I gave them another chance, as the woman had been so helpful. Stupidly, I later deleted her contact info.

Fast forward to last year when their lawn tech failed to diagnose Chinch Bugs in our lawn, and we were told it was our irrigation system. We invested a good amount of money in our irrigation system, changing to larger heads, etc., all the while our lawn continued to die. Once again, many calls later with an impossible system to actually talk to anyone, we finally got someone else to look at our lawn.

The whole thing about TG is if you have a problem, they will return to your property and correct the problem--DO NOT BELIEVE THAT. We learned our lawn tech was no longer working for them, but by then, a good portion of our lawn was completely dead. What seemed like a gazillion calls and hours later, no call backs, being on hold, leaving messages, they came and reseeded our lawn but and I had to lose another portion of my life calling TruGreen to ensure that our lawn would be treated for Chinch bugs at no cost, all the while, our lawn looked like crap.

This past spring I lost several more hours of my life calling TG to adjust my billing. Then this year, with Covid Restrictions opening up, my husband and I were out of town a good portion of the summer but either came home to water or had our sprinkler system on. I assumed TG was tending our lawn during this time. Then, over a month or so ago, (August) portions of our lawn began dying off. I thought we may have Chinch bugs again. Around the same time I got an overdue bill from TG for $137.00. I called and asked them to send an itemized bill, as I had no idea what the $137.00 was for. I was told I now had paperless billing. I never received a bill. I then got a letter from TG saying they were turning me over to a collection agency. I thought my head would explode.

I called TG to learn that they had signed me up for paperless billing, which I had no idea they had done and never agreed to. I pay my bills as soon as I receive them and this made me crazy. I had always prepaid TG except for the years their billing was so bad that I paid by check with each service rendered, in order to make sure it was accurate.. I called TG and spoke to someone named Chris that told me my account had been closed for non-payment, so they couldn't send anyone out to look at my dying lawn. I explained I had excellent credit and that the reason I hadn't paid my bill was that I NEVER received a bill and STILL had not, despite the fact, that I had requested a copy of the itemized bill.

I told him I had paid the $137.00 to avoid TG totally ruining my excellent credit record. He said they had received the payment but because I had been turned over to the credit agency, I was a credit risk and I would have to PRE PAY and open up a new account. What EVER you do-save yourself countless hours of grief and find someone else. Life is for living and you will want to explode if you hire this corporate nightmare of a company-think of a Guinea Pig in a wheel. That is what it feels like to be a TG customer....except you are screaming.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

The first treatment was great. I met the Tech and he seemed very knowledgeable. Then after that it all went south. I received bills where the truck stopped out front of my house then bang I get a text "your service was complete" and he drives off without getting out of the truck. Come on who are you trying to fool? Everyone has cameras. I have witness them stopping and writing a bill and leaving more than once. I witness them stopping and spraying a small area of my yard then leaving in less than 10 minutes. I live in Adams County Pennsylvania and the service here is questionable. Yes after many complaints about leaving without doing a service, they do eventually come out and they do service your lawn but you have to watch them like a hawk. Oddly enough I still haven't canceled but once I find a competitor that can provide quality service I most likely will.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Worst customer service experience ever. I was hung up while obtaining a quote and threw their flyer in the trash. I received a call back from a different representative that apologized and heard me out, most companies don’t care enough to try to save a customer but I would have been better off. After explaining my needs - my lawn died in some areas due to sprinkler failure and that I was capable of maintaining my lawn, I just needed help bringing these dead patches back to life - and $450 later, I was excited to see my lawn that had several dead patches come back to life.

Every time a service was made or an interaction on the phone was made, everyone at TruGreen seemed to be confused about what was sold to me and what they needed to do. I was then called about scheduling aeration services which I then explained again that my back lawn was only 3 months old. Wouldn’t need it. After realizing my front lawn may be included in that service, I called back inquiry about them doing aeration on the front lawn only, especially since I was sold it and told that it was part of my package - the whole reason they were calling me in the first place. So I called back and got Jadeelia from TruGreen on the phone. She was pleasant enough and explained that the aeration was cancelled and so if I wanted the front lawn done, it would be an additional $200.

Confused, I asked why they would be calling me to schedule a service that wasn’t included in my service package and she then explained it was never part of it in the first place. I then attempted to explain that the services they have provided weren’t helping at all and she then kept talking over me and interrupted saying that they don’t help bring dead grass back to life, they only help the soil the maintain an already established lawn and it would only help with weeds. Not reviving my grass, ironically I was sold the “revival plan”.

After inquiry why I was sold this bill of goods, she then interrupted me again, speaking over me before I was finish. I then got upset and said loudly (so she could hear me over her own voice) that “I am not done speaking, do you always talk over your customers when they’re trying to explain an issue to you?!” In which she replied, “are you always a rude person?” I responded, “me pointing out that you speaking over me and interrupting me while I’m explaining a concern is rude of me??” I promptly asked to speak to a supervisor in which she said she’d have to see if the manager wanted to speak with me.

After a minute, she came back on the line and said that her manager didn’t want to speak with me because she was busy doing paper work. I then started to explain what had happened from being hung up, to being sold a package that didn’t fit my needs and once again, talking over me, Jadeelia from TruGreen “that’s not my fault.” I then replied, “I’m not saying it’s your fault, I’m trying to explain my experience with TruGreen from a customer point of view, do you not care?” She said “I do care but that’s not my fault.” I said, "Forget it and give me a refund." Do not use this company. It is the worst company you could ever deal with. Save your money for someone that cares about their customers. What a terrible experience. Wish I could give less than one star.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Patrick performed our service this morning. He listened to our concerns, then immediately set out to address them. He power-sprayed the exterior, then came inside to address a couple of problem issues. Patrick was friendly, attentive, and professional. Great job!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Trugreen's preemergent weed treatment appointment was due on August 20, 2021. They came and fertilized my yard instead. I called and requested the preemergent weed treatment. Appointment was made. They never came. They claimed that a pet scared them away. I told them I don't own a pet. I made another preemergent weed treatment appointment. I called the at 9AM morning of appointment. I was told 2 hours. They continued to tell me two hours until 5PM.

Finally, a Trugreen man arrived. He told me that he could NOT treat for preemergent because he ran out of chemical. He asked if I wanted my lawn fertilized. I told him no thank you. He said, "I'll be here tomorrow and I'll apply preemergent." He never showed. I made another appointment. I call at 9AM morning of treatment appointment. They told me one hour. Later they said between 11AM-1PM. At 2PM they said later today. They never showed. Will appointment 6 be a waste of time again? Updates coming..

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I was signed up with another lawn care service that sold/merged with TruGreen. No notification - one day TruGreen just started showing up. Since then, my backyard is completely dead! The other provider did a nice job! They had eliminated most of the weeds and the backyard was getting thick and green. Now I have dead thatch all over the place and when I rake it I get bald spots. I called to schedule an appointment for someone to come out and they told me they can't schedule an appointment. Then I ask to speak with a manager or supervisor and they tell me I can only speak with them. I have no idea what I'm being billed. My grass is dead....and no one will call me to discuss this. Do yourself a favor - just buy Scott's and do it yourself!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

This company merged with another lawn care company who I had ended my relationship with because they were caught lying about treating my lawn. TruGreen Now threatening collection on services never performed and I have video proof and texts to owner of other company. Stay far far away!! Awful.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

You will not get the service you pay for. I have cameras on my property and they do not service the entire yard. They service 1/4 at best and don't even enter the backyard most times. On my last service they said they spread granulated pot ash with a spreader. Cameras show that is a lie. They are thieves.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

This is the worst company out there, they do not do what they advertise. I have been with this company for 3 years and this year they must have changed all the personnel that worked there the past two years. I have never seen my lawn so bad, weeds and dead grass is everywhere....called to complain about my service or lack of it and all I got from the manager was, "Too bad" and "You can cancel if you like." What a great way to treat your customers. Will never use them again and will make sure to tell everyone I know....seems to me all they want is your money. The tech came to my house and drove by without doing his job. He said I had dogs in my yard which is funny cause I don't have pets.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

After just a few months of treatment they ruined my lawn. Horticulture customer care and yes I paid the year in full. Big mistake!! No my lawn was not weeds and has always been treated. Prompted by a nice salesperson I thought I would try them and huge and costly mistake on my part. Beware.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

TruGreen sales department was clearly very aggressive, but that was the only thing they were clear about. We could not get an accurate breakdown of the cost of services in their packages. We have mud, NOT GRASS in our backyard, and we hired them to replace the mud with grass. It turns out, they billed us for expensive weed treatment...on our MUD. Laying seed and growing grass will now apparently cost extra. We discovered this when they told us a technician visited the property while we were gone, but no one can confirm they sent one, and even if they had the technician would be treating non-existing weeds. They told us a manager will call us sometime next week to discuss a "resolution". UTLIMATELY, I HAD TO REPORT FRAUD ON MY CREDIT CARD to resolve the issue.

TruGreen Lawn Care Company Information