Call toll free
4.39/5

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1602 SunSetter Awnings Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: April 16, 2019

We moved down to Florida about a year ago, and we needed something on one of the sides of the house where the sun comes in in the late afternoon to block out the sun and save energy. The neighbors had used SunSetter and they recommended them. I had spoken to their rep, and I liked him very much when he came out. He was knowledgeable and gave us proper advice. He was also spot on with everything. The team who installed the motorized awning reviewed everything with us. They were also clean and very professional. So far, the awning that we purchased works well. It's done what we've needed it to do, and I have no complaints. I recommend them.

Original review: April 15, 2019

My wife and I had a nice deck done and we decided to go all the way and get the right awning for the deck. The SunSetter Awnings reps were outstanding, polite and helpful. We customized the arm for the wind because we get a lot of wind going back in. The quality of the awning is good. The crew came through the back for the installation and they didn’t even need to come in the house. They installed it the same day and it didn’t take long. We’re very happy so far with the awning. It keeps the sun off the porch and it keeps the sun off the sunroof as well. I’d recommend SunSetter to anybody.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I like to sit outside but the sun in Florida is deadly. I have a patio and I had added an awning to it. I got SunSetter to do it and the sales rep who came out to estimate was in a hurry. It's always like he had too much on his plate. He came in a gray, big, fancy car and he wasn’t the right personality for me. He goes around like he wanted to get something. Everything was fast and I had to make up my mind. While he asked if I wanted the size to be beyond the window, he didn’t realize the sun comes in on three sides. I didn’t realize I needed the extra blockage and he should have realized that I would be happier with it over the window.

I got a motorized and manual awning and I got one that I liked to match. However, it's not low enough or it doesn’t come down far enough to really block the sun so I really can't use it. I face the west so the back faces the west in the afternoon and it's a lot of sun. I also just had a facelift and I'm not supposed to be in the sun so the awning isn’t helping me. The quality of the awning seems good too, although I've only undone it twice and didn’t leave it open very long. I was really happy except for the salesman and I needed an awning that’s adequate. We've never been so disappointed with the amount of money. So now, I'm considering if I could add-on or if they could put up another extension to it.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I wanted to cover my back patio and back door. It gets so hot in the mornings that I couldn’t touch the door handle. A few other people around us have SunSetter awnings and they're very satisfied. I like the product also so I decided to use SunSetter as well. Since I checked everybody else’s house in the community, I already knew what I wanted and I knew exactly what the awning looked like before the sales representative got here.

The sales rep was not pushy and he was great. Then another guy came right here immediately and two guys put the awning up in about an hour. They were friendly and nice, and everything went well. SunSetter did an excellent job and I'm very satisfied. I got a motorized awning and now, it's really nice and comfortable. The temperature is a lot cooler and I can go in and out the back door when the sun comes up. And if anyone asks me about the awning, I tell them to come over my place, look at what I got, and show them how to operate it.

Original review: April 14, 2019

We had a SunSetter in a different house before and it worked great. Now, we went for one that goes in by itself, and we got the little contraption that if the wind blows too hard, it automatically retracts. We’ve been out of town twice, and then we had storms, and the awning retracted by itself. It worked great. Its quality is perfect and we easily found the style and color we were looking for. We went for the green one. Since we've had it, we’ve made an outside room where we sit and watch television, then also get in our hot tub and watch football and baseball games. It has been great. I would highly recommend SunSetter. Their salesman was excellent and the installation team was fantastic too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had sun coming in my eyes. I talked to a neighbor who had SunSetter Awnings so I went with them too. I bought the 11-foot wide awning which has a remote control. We put the awning down to keep the sun out of our eyes when we sit on the porch. The SunSetter team was diligent. When they were testing out the awning, the awning automatically retracts itself when they would bring it out. It kept doing that and the installers kept changing things and realigning it. They had to put a new motor in it but it kept doing it. Until finally, they put a new motion sensor on it and set it a little higher than it should have and since then, it has been working good.

Original review: April 13, 2019

We got a motorized awning of a taupe color from SunSetter Awnings. We installed it in October and we really haven't used it much, but I'm very satisfied. SunSetter Awnings was good.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The SunSetter awning is beautiful but the installer was an absolute jerk. He and his partner dragged the awning across my brand-new deck which is a composite material and scratched the heck out of it. When I challenged him on that, he denied it. Because the deck was just built, it didn’t even have any stairs, so nobody could get on it except them. They damaged my deck to the tune of about 78,000 bucks.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your new Awning, though we are sorry to hear about your experience with your independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take pride in our quality, our service, and especially the satisfaction of our customers.

We will reach out to you privately to discuss your experience with your dealer and look at the next steps.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was referred by Costco to SunSetter and although we had a couple of issues, it pretty much got rectified. The reps were very nice but the awning that we bought wasn’t right for the area. They made good on it but it was not completed. We called and negotiated at the end. I would’ve rather gotten a full refund and we didn’t.

Original review: April 12, 2019

When I bought an awning from SunSetter Awnings, the guy was quick to come out here and get my half upfront. However, it took forever for them to give me the unit. He said it should only be a couple of weeks so I called him back and he told me that the awning was sitting on the dock. Three weeks later, I called him again and he gave me one excuse after another. I stayed right on top of him to get him to come out here and do it and so I wasn't very happy at all. Then, when he installed the unit, he never caulked around the holes that he drilled in my siding.

I have already called him a couple of times about that and he got short with me the last time when he said he wouldn't be making a special trip out here just to do that. He even asked me how rain would get in there, "as if the it blows sideways". Well, I live in Okeechobee, Florida and we have wind all the time that blows sideways. Also, if the rain runs down those four holes in the siding, where is it gonna go as soon as it hits those gaps? It was so bad that SunSetter offered me a discount on a cover. I didn't think I needed it, but now, I think I do because I'm gonna be going all summer and having the unit sit out here in this Florida sun isn't gonna be good for it.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Nobody does what SunSetter does. I've been seeing the advertisements on the TV and just thought that a canopy over the garage would be good, and my wife wouldn't have to put up that thing she puts up all the time. It was a comfort for her. The canopy had to be put up, but it seemed the right thing to do. It was pretty cold in the fall when the techs were putting it up. They found out that they couldn't get the remote done and finish the job, that we had to go all winter. We would not use it anyway. But this spring, they came and finished it up. They just did the last part today, and everything should be all right. When they got to the last part of it, there's an automatic thing you can put on it that if the wind is blowing too hard, it automatically rolls up itself. That's a must.

Also, it looks like good material. I'm satisfied with it. I just don't know how long the cloth will last. My wife's sister down in Texas use theirs way more than we'll be using ours because it's a little warmer down there, but it was 20 years before they had to change it. The cost surprised me because I'm retired and my wife is kinda semi-retired, but it's well worth the price. I would have my neighbors put one on.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We’re on the penthouse of a building and we get direct sun. During the summer, it gets to where the deck area is very hot. I’ve been wanting an awning for a while and one of my neighbors has got one and it looked good. I talked to the contractor and had one from SunSetter Awnings put in. It’s a 12 foot by 12 foot, sandstone-colored awning and it retracts and has a remote. Although they had to put the installation off a day or two because of rain, when they got to it, it took them three hours at the most from start to finish. Another neighbor has already asked and I recommended SunSetter Awnings.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Our patio was too hot. We live in a condominium community and SunSetter was the required awning. The team members who came were very positive. They answered all of our questions and they assured us that their awning would meet the requirements of our board, and it did. There was a required model. It had to be a certain color, a certain size, it had to have the wind sensor and the automatic closing on it, and we got all of that. The installation was perfect and faultless, and quick and easy. The experience was all very positive and the awning works well. We’ve already recommended SunSetter Awnings.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I got a SunSetter awning when I went through Costco and read the reviews. The team at SunSetter was awesome and the installation experience was excellent. The installers got the installation done in a day. They were a great team of men and were very polite. I was very pleased and referred them on. The awning is over the deck. I got the biggest one that SunSetter has, which is 20 feet. I have the burgundy stripe in it. And then on the front windows, I also have two motorized awnings and another two that go on four windows in the front of the house. I love my SunSetter awnings.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I purchased my motorized awning in June, 2016 and used it for 2 summers. It is now April, 2019 and I opened it for the first time this year. The motor is making a loud clunking sound. My installer came to check it out and now tells me that after paying him $3700.00 in 2016, it will cost me 300.00 for a new motor and $200.00 to install it. The 5 year warranty is a joke! I owned another one for 11 years, without a problem and with excellent customer service. Apparently, they feel they don't need to take care of their customers anymore. I will never purchase another Sunsetter and I will be sure to let everyone I know that they are terrible to do business with.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I trusted Carl who sold me my rain gutters and I liked the work they did on the gutters. When I inquired if he handled SunSetter, he said he did so I went with him as I have learned that when you go with somebody you trust and does the job, you don’t change horses. I had a great experience purchasing and setting up the awnings. It was put up late last year and we hardly ever use it, but so far, we are satisfied and everything is fine.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I had a SunSetter awning and because it broke, I called SunSetter Awnings again to get a new one. The first awning I had was a manual and it was terrible. It was hard to handle by myself and I could not do it. But, I have a motorized awning now. It is automatic where I have a push button and it goes out and comes back. It is very easy to use and if you’re out in the sun and it’s hot, you just open it and you’re in the shade. Moreover, it is easy to pull it back. We have a lot of storms here. My wife can also do it by herself. The SunSetter team did a very good job. The guys who came were able to take the old one down, take it away from the house and discard it. Everything was installed as it should be and they took care of my property and put everything back in order. My overall experience with SunSetter was very good and I would recommend it. In fact, I’ve had some people look at it.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have two different homes, one in Connecticut and one in Florida. With the one in Florida, SunSetter was very efficient. They followed through and did the proper job. The installers were good. But before this, I also dealt with SunSetter for my other home. If I had any complaints about the product, it would be that I would've liked something that comes down to maybe 9 feet. When my awning opens up, it comes down to 7 feet but when the sun starts to set, it comes through on the bottom half. Another two feet of material in there would've made me happier. Nevertheless, the quality of the product is excellent.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We bought a new home and when we were building, we did not think about how the house was situated. From early morning until around 1 o’clock, we get direct sun in our back bank of windows, and we have a lot of windows. We also like to sit in our patio and read the paper but it was just too hot. We have a market umbrella that we put out there but it was not giving us enough shade. SunSetter came recommended by the neighbors. There are probably three others in our neighborhood who have it. Then we did some research. The sales guy did fine but we got an awning that is too small. Unfortunately, when I told him what I wanted to do, he thought this would shade us. But even when the installer cranked it down to whatever degree it could go the most, it still didn't protect us.

In fact, when the installers came, they knew it right away. They said that we got a baby shade but what we needed back there was a daddy shade. We were hoping that the company would suggest to take the awning back and get us a larger shade but that was not offered. The only thing that was offered was this roll down plastic piece. They said it would slide into the SunSetter part that we have and it kinda roll down. But we would have to roll up each time. That was not satisfactory but since there didn’t appear to be another option, I guess that is what I’m gonna have to live with. We’ve ordered the extra piece online and I hope this shades us.

The sales guy also didn’t relay to me where the awning would have to be placed. It is bolted right above the window frame instead of under the eave. I was disappointed that it wasn’t emphasized to me where it would have to be installed and what it would look like, and that I didn’t go the next size up. Our installation guys were excellent though.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My neighbor had a SunSetter awning and I liked it. The interactions with the SunSetter reps were very good. I purchased from them and they did a good job and followed up on the awning to make sure I understood it. The installation experience went very well and the installers knew what they were doing. The awning that I have is motorized and it's blue and white in color. We have two, one in the back which fits on our window and one on our front deck. We use the awnings when it's too sunny out on the deck. We also had the lights installed. Overall, I've been satisfied with my SunSetter awnings.

Original review: April 8, 2019

The SunSetter rep showed up when he said he was gonna be here and gave me a price. I signed the contract that day and paid him, and he delivered the awning on time. We had it installed near the end of the season, and we've only used it a couple of times. The quality of the awning is fine and I have no issues with it.

Original review: April 7, 2019

We saw two or three people in our neighborhood that had an awning. I did a little research and called SunSetter. The guy came out, and we bought a motorized one. He was nice and very helpful, but we knew what we wanted. We also had the installation done and it was very pleasant. We used it once and it was fantastic.

Original review: April 7, 2019

The house was getting too hot and my wife can’t take the heat as we get older. We liked the idea of an awning and what we saw with SunSetter Awnings. We also liked the power option versus cranking. We bought three awnings and the first and third installations were really good. However, the installer for the second one had a little bit of an attitude. He had an assistant helping him and that assistant didn’t move quite fast enough. He got mad a couple of times and that wasn’t professional. Other than that, the awnings do a nice job and they are wonderful for our house. They also last well. If you're considering to purchase a SunSetter awning, buy it. I recommend them.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I got a green striped awning from SunSetter. It's automatic and I got a cover for it too. The installation team was very good and they cleaned up after themselves. When it gets warmer, I’ll use the awning all the time for shade.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have a back patio that has constant sun exposure, and we got flagpoles from SunSetter in the past, so I went back to them. I looked online and found that Randy was a contractor in my area and he was great. He came with samples and brochures and gave me a lot more information than what I got on the internet. He had to order the motorized awning and it took two weeks to come in, but everything was fine. Installing it was a lot easier than I expected and I’ve been using it on a day-to-day basis. Everybody that goes by says it’s beautiful and they love it.

SunSetter Awnings response

Dear Diane,

We are very pleased to hear about your great experience with your SunSetter Awning and your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need assistance with any of your SunSetter products. We hope you enjoy your awning and your flagpoles for years to come!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I needed an awning, and I've known a couple of people who have had SunSetter. They seemed to be a good product. I won't call it inexpensive, but it was affordable, so I decided to go with that. The guy who sold the awning to me was a great guy. He was also helpful and I had a very good experience overall. The same guy came out with the installers. They got the awning up there and got it done. I even bought the cover, which I thought was a bit pricey. But I bought it to go over the awning because that side of the house gets morning sun until 1:00. Even so, they did a great job and the awning works fine.

I've had to make some adjustments in the angle at which the top comes out. But that's not SunSetter's fault because I was having a patio put in. The patio got done a month later. There was back order on the pavers and so forth and so on, so there was no way to tell how high the thing could be. But that was not a problem. I had a buddy of mine come over. I called Randy and he explained again. He explained this to me before, wanted to be sure I understood how to adjust it, and got out there and adjusted it, and decided that wasn't enough and just did a little more. It can't be adjusted much more than it is, but unless somebody was pretty big and tall, over 6'5, they'd be able to walk underneath the thing.

The SunSetter awning is a very nice product and we're happy with it. The awning is brown and I just wanted something that would do well in the weather and wasn't going to fade. The size is 20 x 11.8, the biggest one SunSetter makes. And it's 20 feet wide by 15 feet deep so it covers the majority of that. The way our house is set up and the way that side is, once the sun gets to about the 4:00 pm position, it's really not even necessary to have the awning. But it's nice just to have there in case. We're down in Florida and it's subject to rain any time. I've already had people come over and look at it. I've told them I like it.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I live in Florida and I have a west exposure, and I have a screened-in patio that we put the SunSetter awning over. But more than to keep the patio cooler, I purchased the awning because I have sliding doors to the patio and the awning keeps my family room and my den much cooler by keeping the sun off the glass. I ordered the awning, we negotiated the price and it all worked well. There was a delay in the delivery, however, and although I was told five weeks, it took almost three months. At first I thought I was getting the runaround, but it turned out that there were some shipping problems. The product finally came in January and I was very happy with it. Still, they could've done a better job of communicating what was really going on with the awning. Nevertheless, the awning is exactly what I was promised it would be and everything works perfectly well.

Original review: April 5, 2019

My back deck needed shade desperately and going with SunSetter wasn't the easiest route to take. There was a lot of confusion and a whole bunch of issues, but it turned out okay in the end. I was sent the wrong stuff and rather than fight part of it, I just went ahead and accepted my second choice in color instead of first choice. Whoever did the ordering did not order it correctly, but the installation team was fine. The young people who came and installed did a fabulous job. They were very helpful, professional, nice and courteous. I’ve used the awning quite a bit because it was needed to handle the sun that was coming at my living room. I have mixed feelings about the company, but I’d recommend the product.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I know several people along with a friend who have SunSetter awnings, and SunSetter came highly recommended. We needed an awning because of the heat and I love the SunSetter awning we got. The gentleman who I worked with when I purchased it was great. He met all of my expectations and was easy to work with. It was an easy sell. Then the gentleman who came to install was perfect too. He was quick and he did a great job. Everything went up nice and there were no problems. It’s an automatic awning so it would automatically retract when the wind blows. I also tell others who are considering to purchase one to come see how the awning works and they would love it too.

Original review: April 5, 2019

When I cut down the tree on the side of my deck, the shade was gone. So, I put the SunSetter awning in and I got the shade back. The awning is motorized and dark green in color. I use it once in a while when I cook on the grill. Eric’s Awnings in North Haven provided the awning for me. And if I have a problem with my awning, I call Eric. He then tries to get down and straighten the problem out.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information