4.41/5

Malden, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SunSetter Awnings offer both manual and motorized awnings that provide shade and protection, transforming your patio or deck. Our awnings provide cool shade that can help in those hot and humid months and helps keep the inside of your home cooler by blocking the sun's rays from coming in your windows and doors.

We want to provide you with the highest quality awnings at the absolute best prices. We provide a free in-home consultation and are committed to a long-term relationship with our customers.

SunSetter Awnings Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: July 28, 2019

SunSetter's team was wonderful and we had a good experience with them. The installation experience was quick and easy for the installers. Plus they were very professional. My husband had been wanting an awning for some time, and now we use it for barbecues when we have our family out here. We’ve got a lot of people that want an awning like ours.

Original review: July 27, 2019

We lost some shade trees that were covering the deck. With SunSetter, everything went fine and I couldn’t have been happier. Our awning is motorized, retractable and has LED lights. The installation was done in no time and they did a good job.

Original review: July 27, 2019

For the last six years, we'd wanted an awning. SunSetter was said to be number one so when we decided it was time to get an awning, we used them. Their team was very nice and answered every question that we asked them. I had the installation professionally done and everything went fine. I bought a blue and grey awning and everything is working perfectly. Everybody who has seen it loves it. I would recommend them.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Our home was destroyed by the flood with the hurricane Irma and my awning got torn up. My son is a plant manager for one of the subsidiaries of SunSetter so we decided to purchase an awning from them and their reps did a good job. The awning that I got was more of the cloth type one rather than the laminated sort. I got it in nutmeg which is a light brown color. I got the electric remote too. We did it that way. It’s 14 feet wide but the original one that was on here was 28 feet wide. It must’ve been a custom-made though. However, I have a big sunroom and the awning that I got on one end barely covers it.

The other windows that I wanted it over are 12 feet 6 inches. They’re a bit wider so I couldn’t get an awning for that. I wish SunSetter made their awning a bit wider and get up to at least 15 feet, that would be good. They could sell a lot more off them particularly here in Florida, because we have windows all over the place and we really need them. Nevertheless. the installation team was really good. They came when they said they would and they put the awning up and were professional about it. They installed another one up the street from me, and I talked with that man before I had this one put in. He was happy with his awning also.

Original review: July 26, 2019

We live in a mobile home, and I'd been wanting to get a carport but that was $10,000. The SunSetter awning was $4,200, so we decided to go with that. Personally, I think I made a mistake because we never get to use it. The rep told us not to leave it open when the wind is 10 miles an hour. 10 miles an hour in Florida whips up right now, so we don't leave it out. I just put it out today and it's raining, but I got it just over the porch, not out into the driveway like we want it. If we want to go to the store, we can't because we never know when a storm is gonna pop up. Other than that, it works real good. It goes out, and then press the button and it comes in. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I'm glad it's easy to use when we wanna use it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: July 25, 2019

I had an awning at my house that I had before this. SunSetter was right here in the area so I got them to install my awning. It went okay, except they forgot to put the windbreaker on it. But the installers were good. I got the brown stripes, and I'd absolutely recommend the SunSetter awning.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased an awning from this company back in May 2019, at which I asked the company about making sure it would fit and work correctly in my backyard. I was told they don't send anyone out but I could order it and "hope for the best" but if it didn't fit after I ordered it I could return it and SunSetter would provide a return authorization label and send it back. They also claim that it is super easy to install (which it is not) had to call Handyman company which is one of the installers SunSetter says that they work with. Cost me $650 to have it installed to find out that it doesn't fit right in my backyard because of the overhand of my roof. When my awning is fully extended I have to duck under the awning (a lot) just to come out of it and I am only 5'4".

I have tried 3 times to get a return authorization and have had nothing but excuses about not returning it from them. I am also now being told that if I want to return it that SunSetter only provides the Return Authorization number and it is my responsibility to figure out how to return it and gave me the number to UPS Freight. I called UPS and they want $200 to return it. HHHMMM but I only paid $49 to get it shipped to me. SunSetter makes it impossible for you to return their product especially when you are not satisfied.

So if I return the $3200 awning that I bought I would have wasted $1219 and not even have an awning I am happy with ($320 restocking fee, $49 for the first shipping price, $200 for shipping to return it and the $650 I had to pay to have someone install it that SunSetter recommended). I am sorry but that is a lot of money to spend and have nothing for it. Even with professional installers it sill took 4 hours from them to install my awning and SunSetter claims it should only take a couple of hours. This is simply not true and the exact reason I had to waste an extra $650. I do not have a lot of money and for me to spend $3200 on this awning in the first place was a major stretch for me.

All I want is for SunSetter to honor the original return quote that they told me and to give me a return label with the authorization number. I don't care that I have to pay a restocking fee of 10% or have both shipping fees of $49 be deducted but I am not paying $200 to have it ship back when that is not what I was told. I would have never purchased it in the first place if it was going to be that big of a risk in purchasing the awning and that big of a hassle to try and return it. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM.

Original review: July 24, 2019

We get a lot of sun in the back of our house, and we happen to see SunSetter at the show. They installed the awning, and it went okay. But it was crooked for some reason and makes a noise. SunSetter was out here and serviced it yesterday, and they're coming back again.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I purchased this home a year ago and the deck that was already in the house gets sun almost all day. I knew that to enjoy it, I need it to have the ability to have some shade. So, I went with an awning. I've seen lots of advertisements and good reviews for SunSetter Awnings. The gentleman who was the local dealer and installer was wonderful and he was great from start to finish. He was very efficient and did a nice job. So, it's been a great experience. I'm enjoying it very much getting lots of use out of it.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I needed coverage and SunSetter Awnings was the one that came up on Google but I should've done more research. The experience with their team was great but the rep told us that there were only a couple of sizes. He didn’t tell me that there were other companies where I could’ve purchased a larger one from. I ended up with a size 16 but I wanted something that was closer to 24. My sister’s house had a gigantic awning and I didn't realize until I went there how big it was and then, it was too late. Also, SunSetter was gonna give out a cover for winter, but it still has not arrived because it’s on backorder. Still, I would recommend them. I just wish the awning was bigger.

Original review: July 22, 2019

We’re brand new in this condominium, and the lady had an awning before us. We are very happy with our SunSetter awning, but I am not happy with the guy that sold it to us, and I am not done with him yet. To begin with, he did not tell us everything available. I forgot to ask, “Does this have a wind sensor?” which the old one did. The guy never mentioned it. He should have been the one to remind, "Do you want a wind sensor?" So, we’ve got the awning without the wind sensor. We’re very pleased with the product, we were very pleased with the installation, but I have been after the guy who runs the show out of West Springfield, Massachusetts.

I really am very satisfied, but I would tell my friends not to do business with this particular guy because he’s hard to get a hold of.” I can’t find him, and I’m asking for a paid receipt which is very important. We have paid our bill in full. He is no longer at the post office box where he used to be at, and now, I don’t know where the heck he is. I’m now in the process of hunting up the number he gave me because his address is no longer in operation. I said, “Oh, my god. This is a fly-by-night guy.” But I'm gonna call SunSetter if I can’t find him.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I love SunSetter. I was looking at their awning on TV and I got like a patio on my back porch off on the back, and it was hot, and I thought that I would want it. The installation of my awning was perfect. Everything is perfect. All I have to do is mash the button and my awning rolls on out. I already recommended a friend to SunSetter.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We were in a motor home and going all around, but now we're pretty much homebound since my husband had a stroke. By getting an awning, we could go out on our patio, sit there and have protection from the sun. We kept getting mailings from SunSetter and decided to go with them. Our awning is electric and the stripe has a deep burgundy with white and brown. The installation was very nice and quick. They knew what they were doing and did a very good job. Everything was great and we'd definitely recommend.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I ordered the 20ft XL motorized awning back in Aug 2018. The package deal was better than just buying the awning, so I did this. It came with front and side weather breakers. The front will not work due to the deck steps being in the front. I received the weather breakers in October 2018, so they were never installed. I called SunSetter to see if I could return them. I was told you only have 90 days to do this. I couldn't locate this on my paperwork. The person said sorry try to sell it on eBay. I would have thought they would have done something since it has never been open and I paid a lot of money for their product. I was even expecting a handling fee. I won't be buying any more accessories from them in the future. That's just poor customer service.

Original review: July 19, 2019

our community faces a heavy west sun, and so we went together as a group to get awnings. We had to approach the association for approval first, but then was recommended a particular gentleman to come out. He did a little show for the association, and those of us that wanted to buy them jumped in. Our association limited us to a certain amount of options, but the gentleman did talk about a couple of other features that we could add, which was good. And then the installation crew came out, and those guys were very quick and thorough and was all good. The SunSetter awning is a very good quality product.

Original review: July 18, 2019

We love our SunSetter awning. It's made a tremendous difference. It's working great and we're very satisfied. We had just moved to this house a year ago and we face west. We have big windows on the west side so we needed the awning to block the sun and the heat. We had a family member that had a SunSetter awning and we had also known about them for years. We called the local sales rep and he was very nice. He came out and we looked at the literature. He went through everything with us and showed us all the different options so that was great. There's only one negative. We did have a wind sensor put on it but that has not yet worked. We did have one time when it just caught us off-guard and we had this big gust coming. It was blowing like crazy and the wind sensor didn't work at that point. So we were wondering if that is worth the cost of having that.

Original review: July 17, 2019

The other awning was broken and nobody knew how to fix it. And I didn’t like it. It hadn’t operated good so we decided to get a new one. My SunSetter has got an electric motor and it seemed simple to put up. It was only about an hour and half. The installation team had to take the old one down and they were respectful and nice guys. I haven't had any problem with them at all. I'm satisfied with SunSetter. A friend of mine got one and he likes his, too.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Everything’s going good with SunSetter. We’re satisfied. Our experience with the sales representative and our experience during the installation were all very good. We have a table and chairs out there and with the awning, we’d go out there and sit. Sometimes we eat out there if it’s not too hot.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Realized after the death of my spouse that the awning was tearing apart. The completion date was April 3, 2014. The rep was nice on selling his product and accepting check. When it appeared it was not installed correctly, we called him. Twice he came out and was very rude. The last couple of years were spent being a caretaker and letting other thing go.

After the loss, when things started to settle down some, I noticed the tearing of one corner. I called the company to no avail. They sent a repair patch that is suppose to last three or four months. Son and I realized that that side was about half inch to an inch shorter. From the time the rep supposedly fixed the problem called on, it made a loud noise when closing it. Not very good at writing reviews, so please excuse all errors. SunSetter did offer $700 for new awning, think I would have had to pay labor chargers for repair. We paid $3088.93 for awning. Not happy with situation and cannot afford to replace it at this time. If you start off having problems, get in touch with the company right away, maybe your outcome will be better then mine.

Original review: July 16, 2019

We bought a condo and the patio is situated in a situation where we have full sun almost all the time. So, we felt we needed an awning to allow us to sit out there and enjoy the patio. The condo association recommended only SunSetter and a particular color which was why we went with SunSetter. We got a motorized PRO and the installation experience was great. From the time the installers got here to the time they left was probably 45 minutes. It was smooth sailing from the get-go.

We love the awning but last week, we were sitting out from under it and there was a gentle breeze and all at once, there was a huge wind gust. It raised the awning up and it settled on one side of the roof that sort of jets out on one side of the awning, and the awning started to retract automatically. I came in to try to stop it but it wouldn’t stop and it tore a part of the awning itself. We called the person in the company that installed it and he ordered the canvass. He told us to call him once we get it. I got it within a couple of days and I called him, and he is gonna come out Monday and replace the canvass. I would highly recommend SunSetter Awnings.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I had a SunSetter but I was not using it as an awning. I was using it as a door. But I had an umbrella on the patio which broke so I decided to do SunSetter Awnings. I had my contractor install it. I have it on a steeper pitch than you would normally have it on so it covered more of the late sun. The advantage of a deeper pitch is the rain doesn’t buckle it. But I have a suggestion for SunSetter. They could have a rain sensor so when the awning is out and it rains, the rain sensor will pull it back just like the wind sensor.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I purchased a Sunsetter awning 7 years ago.. with the more expensive fabric and wind sensor. After 7 years the unit stopped working. I call Sunsetter customer service and ran through many test procedures. They said I needed a new remote control at a cost of $51.00. After getting the remote the unit still did not work. I called back and another customer service person had me go through all kinds of test procedures again. This time they said I would definitely need a motor at $460.00. In order to change the motor on this awning I have to get on a 26 foot ladder because the motor side of the awning is that high.

A real pain to install and pay for. After the installation the unit still does NOT work. Now I have a new remote control and an new motor. Out of frustration I removed the batteries to my wind sensor...Bingo it worked. Now I am stuck with a $460 dollar motor because it is too difficult to change back, I sent the remote back and they only credited my partial because they are too cheap to cover the shipping!!!! Bad business!!!

Original review: July 15, 2019

We’re very satisfied with our awning from SunSetter. We saw an ad in the paper, and we had a need for an awning for cosmetic purposes, and also, protection from the elements. The team at SunSetter was super. They did a terrific job. If I had a need for an awning, I’d call SunSetter again.

Original review: July 15, 2019

It's a hot summer and the side of the house that we have covered with the awning is uninhabitable. You couldn't even use it. So, it was a wasted area and really bothered us, so we started talking among the condo neighbors and that was when we came up with the idea of getting an awning. We had one of the neighbors kinda take a leap with this and present it the HOA board, and he picked SunSetter. We were comfortable enough with the commercial, but then when a representative presented to members of the condo community, we liked what we heard and we focused in on him. Our experience with our SunSetter awning is really good. It's kind of a darker beige, and all of the ones in the community are the same standard beige. I wish it went out further. I know they vary among the width size, but in terms of the length, we were told that 12 feet is the most it'll come out.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I needed an awning and since I’ve seen SunSetter on TV and I've got a lot of their in-mail advertising, I chose to purchase from them. I had an excellent experience with their team and I was impressed with their knowledge. The selections they offered were perfect and I went with a motorized model. The installation was also excellent and my SunSetter awning has perfectly met my expectations.

SunSetter Awnings response

We are very pleased to hear about your great experience with your SunSetter Awning and your local independent SunSetter dealer. At SunSetter, we take great pride in our product quality, our service, and especially in the satisfaction of our customers.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you need assistance with your SunSetter. We hope you enjoy your awning for years to come!

Original review: July 6, 2019

I heard that SunSetter was a good company. Their rep was professional and I got a nice price, but the advertisement on TV talks like they are a whole lot cheaper than what they really are. Other than that, the awning is doing okay so far. The installation was fine too.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We tried purchasing SunSetter a long time ago and we got it through Costco. But they got lost three times and they could never deliver the product. So, we just gave up on it. Then my daughter got one from Leroy. So, she gave me their name and I called them. Then Leroy and his wife came and spoke to us. They were very professional. They came up and put up two motorized awnings because the windows are on the south side of the house. The installation was terrific and they kept everything cleaned up. I like the shade from our new awning and I’ve enjoyed the push button.

Original review: July 5, 2019

SunSetter Awnings' rep was as helpful as helpful can be. He was a rip-roaring alcoholic though. I don’t know what he was doing driving around Tucson in that shape, but he took my order, gave me some good advice and sent out a crew of guys to put the awning up. The installers put it up in an hour. The selections I was given were pretty good and I bought a motorized awning. It’s a little warm underneath it, but that’s Tucson. But at least, it’s in the shade. I’d recommend SunSetter to anyone.

Original review: July 4, 2019

We have windows on the west side, and it gets really hot out on our deck. We wanted to have some cover so we could go out there and enjoy the view but not be roasted. My husband purchased SunSetter and apparently, he called our local dealer and was going to order it from them. Unbeknownst to him, the phone call was transferred to the factory. He ordered it from them, and we wanted it installed. But when he went to call the dealer to get it installed, they told him since he wasn’t a customer of theirs, they wouldn’t install it. So, it’s sitting in our driveway the same as it came a month ago. He tried to call back the factory and nobody was interested in hearing about it.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I was happy with our SunSetter that we had for years. However, it wasn't automatic and we didn't get it in during a windstorm here so it got twisted and was torn up. We decided to replace it and went for an automatic this time. The rep was very helpful, and though it took them a little while to get everything, electricity stuff, the awning worked fine. It was put up in no time. I got it on my deck. And we use our deck a lot with it, more than we would without it. I also have flowers that I store, and the awning keeps it a lot cooler inside there. It really helps. I’m perfectly happy with my SunSetter and I recommend it.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information