Get Pricing

Malden, MA

4.7/5 (415 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I compared SunSetter to Marygrove Awnings and SunSetter's prices were a little bit higher. I still chose SunSetter and the sales visit and installation went fine. I had two awnings put up. We've been having problems with the motor on one of the awnings. It doesn't roll back all the way. The installer, who was supposedly a veteran, kept claiming that they would come back to fix the issue. But I can't get in touch with them even though I paid them. I got pissed with them so I just let them go. I'm not satisfied. It was a lousy experience and I wouldn’t recommend SunSetter to somebody else.

SunSetter Awnings response

Thank you for your feedback. We will reach out to your place of purchase gain a better understanding of what happened. Someone will contact you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The installation of our awning was good but the tech overcharged to put it up. For about an hour and 15 minutes, he charged us $900. It was a little bit outrageous. But we wanted an awning so we went ahead and paid the charge. We didn't realize it was going to be that expensive but it's worth it. We like it and we are gonna get it cleaned next month and put up for the winter.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Everybody else around the neighborhood had an awning and we had none. They recommended SunSetter and when I looked up the reviews, they were pretty great. So, we hired a contractor who buys from SunSetter to do our measurements and give us recommendations on the type of awning we needed. And it helped a little because when I was looking on the website, it was a bit confusing to really get all the exact details and trying to transfer it over to the deck. He also showed us all the different materials and fabric colors that I don't think were on the website. We are so happy with our awning. It really helped out in the summer with the intense heat in the deck and it helped out my dog, so her paws doesn’t get hot. And it’s not too short and not too long. So, it’s just perfect. To really get the best quality awning, I would recommend hiring a contractor who works with buying from SunSetter,

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

We really like our SunSetter awning. It serves its purpose well. When we bought it, the team we dealt with was very good. But I didn't get a receipt on a piece of paper. They just ran it to me on my phone.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I'd tell others to go for SunSetter. Their sales rep was terrific and he knew what he was talking about. He's done it for a number of years and he was very efficient. They could've gotten back to me on the phone a little quicker, but the installation was quick and easy. I love my awnings and I like the the convenience of rolling it up. With it, I could be outside on a sunny day and not have the dangerous rays of the sun.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

The installation went very smoothly and quickly. Everything was great. People have already come over to our house and want to know where we got the awning and who we contacted. So, we give them Blind Ambition’s number, who is the SunSetter Awnings distributor.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

The rep was very nice and very good about the sale. He got things done on time and made it look nice. And I know if I have any problems, all I gotta do is call him and he will come. As soon as I said it, they ordered it. It was within a month that I had it back up. The installer came one day and put the metal part up. And within a couple of days, the guys were here and put it up. I didn't realize that SunSetter had that extension where I could put down to keep the rain from blowing in. A curtain type thing that falls down. Because mine is just the regular, $4,000 one. I didn't realize there were two types. Other than that, the installer came back later and showed me how to work it. But if you use a bit of common sense, you could figure it out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

The sales rep of SunSetter was very helpful. He brought the stuff out to us, answered all our questions, showed us what choices we had, and how long it would take. It was a positive interaction with him. We like the fact that we have this shade on our patio. It's also easier to deal with than an umbrella. But we’re not getting the shade all day like we thought we would, but that's just because of the angle of the house. We didn't realize it until after it was put up.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I heard SunSetter Awnings was one of the better ones and especially for the price. The company who did the installation did a nice job on it. And the guy was great. He did it nice and clean, made sure that we were happy. SunSetter is an awning that I would recommend.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Shawn was great. He’s a local gentleman and he was on time. It was my mother's idea to get a SunSetter awning and when Shawn was coming out to tell us about it, my husband said, “Well, let's get one, too.” We sat down with my mom, picked the color, and he suggested the style of it. There were some challenges of the way her door opened and the way the sun came. In Nevada, the sun is really hot in the morning so she couldn't go outside. We picked hers then we came to our house and Shawn showed us the same thing. We also picked colors, the style and what he recommended.

My mom's awning is good, but we couldn't get that big of an awning, and we had to roll down the screen. The only challenging thing for her is it's hard for her to put that screen down to block the sun. However, what I like about it is it has the wind thing. We have a lot of wind in Nevada and we don't have to worry about it. When the wind blows, the awning kicks up and automatically rolls up, which is awesome. In the end though, we were the happiest ones that got it. Our house would really heat up because of the way the sun would come into our dining room window, but ever since we got that SunSetter, it's cooled things off for us. The quality is excellent, and we are enjoying ours much more than my mom is.

Although there were some disappointments with installation, I can't blame the company with it. My husband was thinking ahead more than the installer. We wanted to make sure that the cord wasn't going to dangle down on both locations and the timing gave us time to find an electrician to set up a way to plug in the outlet, so it wouldn't dangle and look cheap. That part was good. We could prepare ahead and the guy was helpful in helping us decide where we needed to put that outlet.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

When I finally had the opportunity, I said. “I'm going to jump on it now. I got the opportunity to buy it. It will last me the rest of my life.” The two gentlemen that installed the awning was very good and courteous. Showed me what to do before they left. I was very happy with them and with the one I have installed. On the weekends, I enjoy it more than I do during the week. It’s a very excellent product. And I'm glad I bought it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The rep was very helpful. If we want to go sit outside, I put my awning out. It creates the shade I wanted. Neighbors have come over and looked at it, and thought it was okay.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I talked to the salesperson at first on the phone, and I knew his father at one time. That led me to, “Okay. Why not go with this company?” The rest of the people that I dealt with were fine, especially the installers. They did a perfect job. However, we weren't too happy with the timeframe because we made it and they put it in the first week in August. It was two months after because there was COVID going on, and they mentioned that they had a hard time with installers and getting the supplies into their office. Still, I would give SunSetter a good recommendation. We like the way it works and we're happy with it right now.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I called SunSetter Awnings, they got right on it, and I was very happy with the product. The quality is very good, and there may be another person calling them. She was here at my house over the weekend, and I gave her one of the cards. She really liked it, so hopefully, she'll call SunSetter.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Everything was great, and we love our retractable awning. We have an east-facing deck, so for dinner, we don't need it shaded, but it took the brightness out too.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I wanted an awning to obscure my view of the house attached to mine and also for afternoon shade. My son's father-in-law does gardens and outdoor stuff and he uses SunSetter, so my son recommended it. The installation team was great. I was inside the house and they were outside doing the installation and they did a perfect job. I love the awning.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

The installers did a nice job, and they did it all in one day. Everything's good, and I like the SunSetter product.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I called the sales representative from SunSetter up. He stopped over, took a quick look, gave me an estimate and I said, "That's great." They came back about five weeks later and installed it. I don't think it took them more than two hours to put it up. We got the motorized one that has the wind sensor on it. It's very nice. I've used it quite a bit. I put it out on a sunny day just to give a little bit of shade to the back room because it's over a big sliding glass door, and it makes that room 10 degrees cooler by far.

The awning works great. I got the remote control. I push the button if I wanna stop it. I can just let it go all the way out. I'll push the button, and it goes all the way in. Also, it's got the wind thing. On a windy day, if it starts to bounce around a little bit, it closes itself. I'm extremely satisfied. I've already told several different people at my club that this is the way to go. As a matter of fact, one of the other guys at the club said, "Oh, no. That's what I have too."

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

The installer was very nice and helpful. But the installation was a pain in the **. That was because the remote and motor failed. So, we went a little over three weeks until the awning was fully functional. The tech came out multiple times. The day he installed the awning, the issue was the remote so they sent the new one. It turned out that the installer had a spare one that was old and used. He tried it and it worked twice and then failed again.

So the installer called SunSetter again and talked to tech support. They said, “Well, it sounds like the motor.” So then they ordered that. A week and a half later, the remote came in so they brought that out to try it and it didn't work. Six days later, they were finally able to come out and install the motor. Now, everything is functioning properly.

The awning is nice to have. It was too bad that it took so long ‘cause it ended up being kind of late-season and the sun drops a little bit sooner in the sky. SunSetter could have done a better job of getting those parts out. For what you pay for, they should have overnighted those parts and it should have been taken care of the next day. It shouldn't have to take almost three weeks to get resolved. But we'll have it for next year.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I wanted the best awning, and I went with SunSetter. I went online to order it. Because I needed it installed and it was a big unit, they sent me to the local guy. The install went very well. I really like the awning. The only challenge I had was collecting of water. I have a short drop. It's a horizontal so it’s not a rain shed. I was just really surprised about it not being a rain shed at all. I haven't tried to adjust the angle to see if I can get a little bit of rain shed, but the first rain I had, it built up really fast. I was kind of in shock.

I have the auto retraction for the wind and the remote, and they are worth having. If I'm doing it, I’d do it all over again. I liked it that much, but the angle on those horizontal arms kind of left me something desired because I've had retractable camper awnings before and they shed water good because we can tip them down quite a bit since they were free-form. Also, SunSetter went really bad on the color selections this year. Typically, they have about 14 different colors. By the end of summer, the color selection was down to about five. I ordered mine way back in the spring when I could get a color that I wanted, so I don't have a complaint. It's just that if somebody is ordering now, they're going to be constrained. Other than that, I love the assembly and everything about the awning.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

The rep was very informative and the installation went very well. But, it just looks like the two arms are not strong enough to hold the awning. Other than that, we're enjoying our SunSetter very much.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I researched awning companies in the area and came up with Central Florida Awnings. They came out, we discussed options, and we decided to go with SunSetter. The installation process was pretty simple. They were very professional. They were quick, courteous, and cleaned up. We love our SunSetter awning. It was an overall good experience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I had a very good experience with the sales team and the tech. I got a very nice-looking awning. It works very well and it's fairly priced. The best features are the remote and the lighting.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

We went with the SunSetter with the company that was out of a small town not too far from us. They did an exceptional job. They installed it quickly, easily and efficiently. They told us it would take 8 to 10 weeks. It took seven to eight weeks to get the awning and within getting the phone call that they had the awning, they scheduled the installation immediately. It was installed within three days after we were notified. So, we got fortunate with that with the way things are nowadays.

Our SunSetter awning is terrific. We really like it. We have noticed that on sunny days, few and far between, that we put the awning out, it saves the air conditioning running inside because it reduces the amount of heat coming in. So, we've used it that way, and we're very pleased. We were not paying as much attention one day, and the wind picked up. The automatic wind sensor worked wonderfully and closed the awning. We didn't have to worry about it.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

SunSetter's reps are very good, top-notch people. We're happy with the awning when we use it.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I'm really disappointed with my awnings completely. For my installation, I had SunSetter come out with the fellows the representative recommended. But when I close the awnings, they bang against the house. Both the lights that I can have on at night have fallen off. They've unglued themselves from the strips and they just hang. I'm not happy with not being able to fix it. Some outsider had to fix it.

I've called on that and nobody has come. The tech who came because it wasn't closing right complained because he doesn't get paid for all the re-fixes that he has to do. And that's not my problem. I spent a lot of money on these awnings. I'm down in Mississippi and the installer said the light strips don't work because it's too hot. I shouldn't have been sold those. But, they were fixed easily by those little strips that you put it through and tighten and that holds things in place. The techs said they've had nothing but problems with these awnings. The light strips keep falling down and it's a real pain in the neck because they have to keep coming out and repairing them. I love the awning but I'm not really pleased with who SunSetter recommended to install.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The installers did a nice job. They took the old ones down, put the new ones up and it went easy. We got two awnings with the wind sensor in them and they’re nice. We've had them and been in the heat then once I looked out, they were both in. The wind must’ve gotten high enough that they came in automatically. That was great. With the new wind sensor, that makes it a lot easy. You don't have to watch them all the time. Overall, I'd recommend SunSetter Awnings. They do the job.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Sunsetter's installers were very efficient. We're very pleased with our striped awning. It has helped keep the living room much cooler when we had it out and the sun wasn't beating in on the floor in the room.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

We received the order, and I let SunSetter know that we had it. A couple days later, they came and installed it while I sat in the living room watching them. I really like my awning a lot. It has an arm on each side, and when it goes out the full length, then it snaps into place. SunSetter is a little pricey, but worth it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Mike the salesman and another guy I worked with were both very accommodating. I'm very pleased with my awning. I get direct sun in the afternoon on my deck and it provides some shade. I highly recommend SunSetter.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information