Malden, MA

4.6/5 (359 ratings)

About SunSetter Awnings

SunSetter Awnings is the largest American manufacturer of retractable patio, window and deck awnings. The company produces four different awning types, including motorized and manual hand-cranked models. Most of the awnings attach directly to a structure, but the company does have one freestanding model. The motorized models open and close using a remote control, and the manual model uses a hand crank.

Pros

• Wide fabric color selection
  • Buy direct or work with a local dealer
  • Option for DIY installation
  • 5 to 10-year limited warranties

Cons

• Limited freestanding model options
  • Installation not included

Bottom Line

SunSetter Awnings offers many options to meet the needs of any customer or budget. Options include 28 fabric choices, sizes from 8 feet to 20 feet wide and manual or remote retraction.

SunSetter Awnings Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunSetter Awnings?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

We got a standard medium grade SunSetter. The price was stable and the process was easy. It was installed nicely. Mine is fully automatic. We enjoyed it last summer. We used it quite a bit.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

The sales rep was efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly. It's his business, so he was interested. He gave me brochures that showed me the awnings. I also have neighbors that I've seen how their awning works. The installers were also friendly and very efficient. They came when they said they would and were very helpful in showing me how to use the awning. I got the one that's remote controlled, and I have a crank in case of emergency. It's very good at keeping the sun off of my patio.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

For the most part, my experience with them was great. I'm extremely happy with it and would do another SunSetter if I had to. The awning looks very nice.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

The experience with SunSetter was very good and there were no glitches. It was smooth sailing. The awning is of good quality. SunSetter could improve on customer follow-up though. When you talk to one of the agents and they're all busy, and they tell you to leave your number and they'll call you back, they never do. It's very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

We had a good experience with them. The installation was very sufficient and quick. They did a good job with it. We use it quite often. I like the fact that it got an automatic button to push it to put it in and put it out. I would recommend SunSetter.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I knew three or four people that used SunSetter and they said enough good about the rep and the quality of the awning. I called SunSetter and they called me back almost immediately and they came for an appointment within a couple of days. There was not a lot of waiting time. The saleswoman was very knowledgeable. When the installation team came, it was the same thing. They explained everything, were extremely friendly, and made sure that they answered the questions on our part before they left. They were very professional. Overall, it was a very good experience. We used the awning last summer and the early fall.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

We were very happy with the sales rep. We got the awning that has the remote control with the wind sensor. The team that came out was very professional. We’re very happy with the whole experience.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

We had a SunSetter awning for years. I can't imagine not having one on our patio. We got another one when we moved here. I got the remote because we're 75. Our other one was manual and I had an entire list of how you set it up and take it down.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The installation of our SunSetter was okay. However, we were a little disappointed. There was not a lot of explanation of how to do things, so we had to figure it all out ourselves. Sometimes, it opens and then goes right back up the way before we started all on its own.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I used SunSetter before and I was happy with them. I used them again and the awning that I got this time is 2 feet shorter and a different color, but it’s the one that's motorized. The material is good for rain and sun.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

The sales rep sounded like he knew what was going on and was very helpful. We went in the back patio and talked about a few things. He gave suggestions. We looked at fabric and materials and that was how we decided. We were looking for something that could be rolled out. We have storms every once in a while and high winds and we wanted something that could handle that.

The installation was quick. It was done very professionally and they looked like they had done this many times. The awning we got has electric motor, a remote, and the hand crank. The fabric seems very heavy-duty. I like the awning because I can also adjust the pitch of it. You can tilt the fabric down or up or straight. You could adjust how low you want it from the end. It's a rough mount. Waiting for the product to get here seemed a little long though. Also, we received a lot of emails from SunSetter, sometimes too many. This was after it was sold to us.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Everything has been perfect with SunSetter. One awning is at my restaurant. It's working very nicely. Last year, I put one more in my house. I called the same guy again. He's a very nice person.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

We opened our SunSetter awning and looked at it. The first one had a little tear in it, so they had to replace it. It seems fine from what I can tell so far. As far as their people, everybody was polite and cleaned up their messes.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Our SunSetter awning was installed nicely. It looks good, and I'm happy with it. The installers were great. I barely knew they were here besides when they knocked on the door and then when getting ready to leave to show me how to use it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

The SunSetter Awnings team answered all my concerns. I dealt with SunSetter before when we used to have a camper and we were out at Colorado. My awning got bent and SunSetter gave me a whole new awning with no charge so I was happy. The installation went very fast. It was much quicker than I thought it was. Everything worked out fine.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

My house came with a SunSetter awning and it was damaged. I had it replaced. The reps were great and the installation was smooth and fast. I'm very happy to have the awning.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I have two SunSetter awnings. One is in Colorado, and another is in Phoenix. The one in Colorado was perfect. It was the same person who sold it and installed it. In Phoenix, it was mounted on a beam, which we knew. There was a salesperson and then a different installer, and neither one of them mentioned that the screws that they were gonna put into the beam were a little bit longer than the thickness of the beam. The sales guy probably knew that but maybe he didn't bother to check. The installer came and he put it up. He made eight holes in the beam, so the wood splintered. Then he told me that and then left. We didn't see it until after he left. When we called him to mention it to him, he said, “Well, I showed your husband,” which was an out-and-out lie. He did not show my husband. Then he mentioned that the sales guy should have told us that the screws were longer.

When I called the sales guy, he said, “Well, the installer should have mentioned it or something.” So, then the installer said he would pay me to have our painter come and kinda repair the spot. He never did. I sent him the $60 to come and repair the spot. There was really nothing. So, I emailed, I texted him and I said, “You said you were gonna pay me. Here’s what he charged.” I had never heard another word from him. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with the awning itself.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

The installation team was in and out quickly. They did a good job.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Everything was perfect. Everybody did their job correctly. I was satisfied. We sure will enjoy it as soon as this winter gets over.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I called SunSetter because the awning has to be tightened. They were supposed to send somebody but he never came. But the installers were good. There was no problem there. It was just because they had retracted the awning, I didn't realize that it was loose and should have been tightened up. I also like the awning.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

We bought a SunSetter for our home up in California about eight years ago. We've been very happy with it. Everything was good. Their guy did a good job and was responsive. He did what he said he was gonna do. Our SunSetter is multicolored with bands in it. It's 14 feet long and it’s extended. It also goes out automatically. I've enjoyed the product over the years so we bought one for our winter house down in Tucson. We put it here because we don't have much of a patio.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

The local guy here answered my call, came out and gave estimates and then ended up installing. It was fantastic. He did a great job, explained everything he was doing, worked out a payment plan with me, and I was totally satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

SunSetter's reps were super. I picked the color of the awning that we wanted and I worked with them on the size. The guys who installed our awning were also very nice. We had it installed right when summer was over. We have woods behind us and we sat out there a lot to watch the birds. It's sunny back there and we sat out there in 38 degrees under our awning and bundled up.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Back in the late ‘90's, I had a SunSetter installed in my Colorado home and 15 years later when I moved out, there was some separation in the stitching on some of the canvas, But other than that, it was working the day it was installed. So, I felt that was incredible validation of their product and 15 years later, it's unlikely that they have gotten worse, so I didn't even bet and purchased from them again. I like the awning that I recently bought and what's even more important is that my homeowners association likes it. I'm also going to go and have another one put on. The awnings that cover a span of approximately 35 feet and the one that was put up is about 20 feet. So, I'm going to add another 15 feet to it sometime this year.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I purchased from SunSetter because I wanted to try to utilize my back deck. But that awning is useless to me. It doesn't block any sun because the evening sun shines right up under it. But other than that, my experience with SunSetter's reps was good.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I bought my first awning in 2004, and I never had any cover on the driveway. I had to get a second one, so I went back to SunSetter. They have good quality material. However, the people that were supposed to deliver had a truck and couldn't get up into my door. I had to go down there and pick it up, and they owe me something for that. These people weren't UPS. Somebody else took over the company, and it's lousy. The installation cost me a lot of money as well 'cause SunSetter doesn't have anybody up in my area that does the work.

The way my house is set up, I use the awning in the summertime more than I do in the wintertime. Like now, the sun is sitting in the wrong place and my awning just covers enough area for me to sit on. The day's temperature right now is about 70 degrees, and I'm sitting outside in an awning. It ain't got nothing to do with the awning. I bought an 8-footer and that was too small. I bought this 10-footer, and it's working out perfect. The awning I selected this time is a different type of cloth compared to the original. It seems a little thicker than the other one, and so far, it looks good. I like it. I'm also thinking about ordering later on to see how this works before I order this wind sensor.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

The customer service and the installers were excellent. Everything with SunSetter went perfectly fine.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

I got the XL awning. Sunsetter has a good salesman and installation crew. They can lower their prices though.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2023

The rep was thorough. He gave us all the information and answered any question we had. The installation crew was quick and efficient. They were very informative on how to use the SunSetter. They were not the least expensive though. So the price could be better.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I had an excellent experience with their team. They were very knowledgeable. The installation experience was perfect.

SunSetter Awnings Company Information