Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Speed Queen Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2019

I made a HUGE mistake not taking my Whirlpool W/D set to my new house. I had heard so many wonderful reviews about Speed Queen - workhorse, great warranties, etc. Now I'm stuck with a horrible washer and disgusting mildew smell. I contacted the dealer - the mildew problem is not covered by the warranty. They suggested I contact Speed Queen directly which I did but never received a response. I've tried everything - vinegar/baking soda, Affresh, always leaving the washer door wide open - nothing works. Twenty years ago I purchased the first front load washer Maytag made. It had the same mildew problem and Maytag contacted me ahead of me contacting them! The problem was fixed at NO CHARGE. My opinion - don't buy Speed Queen.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I call myself being smart being buying true iconic American brand washer and dryer set, and to my surprise, my 15 year old Roper I got on Craigslist for $75 out washed this almost $3,000 stainless steel washer. What I immediately noticed that all my clothes were coming out this front loader smelling like Tide pods, after a complete wash cycle. This machine doesn't wash clothes, because it doesn't tumble in enough water. I'm a truck driver and travel the country on a regular, and ran across a similar machine at a Flying J, it did the same thing. So I complained and demanded my money back because this machine left my clothes smelling worse, prior to washing. And I was told that the government had decided on how much water is needed to wash your clothes, which is at least two gallons short, therefore, no I find my myself using a extra rinse cycle, which extends my cycle to an hour, just to remove the smell of tide.

I tried contacting the manufacturer to figure out some kinda hack to add more water, and was basically told by these people, "good luck with that". Ok let get this straight, I paid nearly $6,000 for this washer/dryer combo, and I kid you not, my hundred year old Roper will clean ten times better, and I paid less than $100 bucks, used, over 15 years ago. This doesn't make any sense.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Hello. Wanted to replace our mid 80's vintage Speed Queen washer and dryer, and were horrified to learn that you guys changed the whole wash design. Investigated further, and decided the new design sucked, and was nowhere near the effectiveness of the old design. We will not buy another Speed Queen set until you go back to the tried & true proven design. If it works - LEAVE IT ALONE. Moving to Maytag for now. Sorry. FYI - back in the early '80s I used to deliver appliances, and the best units and oldest working washers we used to haul away were always the Speed Queens. Please get it together and re-issue the old design. If you don't, I'm afraid you will fail miserably in the residential market. I would welcome any feedback you might have on this issue.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I know a lot of people start by saying this but, I RARELY write reviews. Good or bad. After becoming frustrated with our Whirlpool Cabrio washer's lack of cleaning ability I took the advice of our repairman and purchased a SET of Speed Queen's washer and dryer. That was less than 8 months ago. Didn't even NEED the dryer but hey "Get the matching set". Speed Queen has always had an impeccable reputation for quality and reliability. Short story about the washer- Speed Queen washer does average to poor at cleaning on any temperature. Control knobs are basic and there is no way of telling how long your cycle will take. I mean NONE.

Long story on the dryer- After just a few weeks the dryer knob was not lining up correctly with the corresponding cycle and it was taking a minimum of 2 full cycles to dry most anything. I was literally guessing where I was in a cycle and hoping for the best. The dials are all made of cheap plastic (unlike their older, more reliable models) I have now had the same knob, timer and other parts replaced FOUR TIMES. The last time was one week ago and it has already happened again! FIVE TIMES in 8 months. I am beyond frustrated. Hence my review. I called the only number I can find for Speed Queen that seems to relate to customer service. I was told that to get a replacement machine I had to go to the dealer and not through Speed Queen. No one wants to take responsibility for an obviously defective machine.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Bought two new speed queen dryers. Both starter buttons are defective. After time button came apart inside. Tried to repair, but came apart once again. Now have it put together with plastic wire ties.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Speed Queen?

Original review: April 3, 2019

I “inherited” the Speed Queen dryer with the bed and breakfast business I bought 9 months ago. It’s commercial grade, heavy duty. It drives me to distraction! Despite buttoning up the duvet covers (I live in Australia) things still manage to get caught up inside and from time to time, the duvet cover even manages to get turned inside out, as do the pillow cases. How on earth can this happen??? And then there are the many, many times the sheets get twisted up like corkscrews. How can that happen?? I’ve had many dryers in my lifetime, none as expensive as this one, but every single one of them was 100% better than the Speed Queen. I HATE IT! Do not buy one! Rosie **, Australia.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Purchased a Speed Queen washer & dryer from Gerrit's Appliance in Grand Rapids Michigan. Both appliances have all of these light brown spots on them. Gerrit's came out once to clean them but they only returned. Have been trying to get Speed Queen/Gerrit's to take them back to no avail. Also, when drying clothes when you open the dryer door the lint gets all over the clothes. SQ sent me something but I already had one which does not work. Also, the timers are so quiet you cannot hear them when the cycle is done on either the washer or dryer. I have never had such poor service from either place, but especially SQ. I spoke with a man by the name of John and he did absolutely nothing. I then left two messages for him but he never returned my calls. I would not buy another SQ. Both appliances and customer service are worthless. Be very careful before you buy.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought a stackable Speed Queen after reading about the reliability and longevity of the machines. I had read that they are workhorses and well built. Unfortunately, they are not that well designed and it is a daily frustration when I use mine. First of all, the upper dryer door is not round, it is flat at the bottom. This seems like it is a trivial detail, but because of the shape of the door opening, it is about 2-3 inches higher that I need to reach in the grab the dry clothes and for me at 5'1" that is the difference between being able to reach the back of the machine or not. Presumably this was done to have a straight edged lint catcher, but that is a foolish compromise.

The lint catcher brings me to my next complaint. You cannot remove the lint catcher without unscrewing it! To remove the lint, you just need to swipe your hand and grab the lint - no big deal, BUT if you want to clean it properly with a brush every so often, like I do, you cannot. Most people may not clean the lint catcher and the exhaust tube from there, but I always have and I can see that there is plenty of dust that gets through the catcher and is in the tubing beyond where I can reach without breaking out my screwdriver. That is a fire hazard and a ridiculous inconvenience to the average homemaker, housecleaner or working mother.

Next issue is the soap dispenser. It is so poorly designed that unless you close the dispenser immediately it leaks down the front of the machine and not only that, it tracks to yet another spot where it is difficult to reach and clean! When I take my soap dispenser out to clean, about every two weeks, the inside of the space where it fits also has dried liquid detergent in the corners and edges. This is poor design, it is not because I am using too much detergent - I am not. The lower panel at the bottom of the machine also needs to be cleaned/serviced, according to the manual every 6 months. Well this is also a major pain in the neck requiring the machines to be pulled out from their built in cabinetry positions and a couple of hex screws to be undone. Really? Couldn't they make it so the access was all from the front?

As for their functionality - it is fine. They are pretty quiet machines, they do the job, though I don't believe the auto-sensor works for dryness, and they certainly haven't broken, though I have only been using them for 1 year. Leaving the washing machine door open after using it has prevented any bad odors, BUT the glass insert in the door accumulates a weird soapy grime that requires a scrubby sponge to clean each week. I use the same regular eco-safe detergent (Persil) I used in my previous machine and never had that problem, which makes me believe it is the shape of the glass design. Of course also, these are a bit smaller than many of the big machines out there, but that is well stated in their literature and was no surprise.

Realistically, you cannot do two sets of sheets in one load though. The machine is just stuffed then and the dryer takes forever to dry if it is that full. This is an issue if you have a cleaning lady coming to do all the sheets in one day. It will take forever. Luckily, we just change our sheets on different days, but I no longer have a house full of kids - If I did - this would NOT be family functional washing machine and dryer

Original review: March 26, 2019

We purchased a new washer and dryer set from Albee's appliances in Los Angeles in October of 2018. We have had Speed Queens throughout the years with little issue. Sadly, both the manufacturer and seller no longer stand by their product, 5 months after purchase the washer is not working, they will cover parts, not labor.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Brand new commercial grade dryer bought new in Summer 2018. Consistently will not dry clothes in one cycle. My salesman highly recommended Speed Queen along with many friends. Inefficient to have to dry clothes 2 cycles on a high end machine.

Speed Queen Company Information