4.3(538)

About Safe Step Walk-In Showers

Safe Step offers walk-in showers that are the same quality as its walk-in tubs. The Safe Step walk-in shower can fit within your existing shower or tub space and includes an adjustable, hand-held shower wand as well as an on-and-off button and several optional features. The company also employs installers to make your purchase more convenient.

About Safe Step walk-in showers

Safe Step’s low-entry walk-in showers offer freedom to people with limited mobility. The company designs them for safety and convenience, and you can sit or stand when using one. Every part of the shower unit comes with a lifetime warranty.

Safe Step’s installers ensure your installation is done quickly and accurately so you don’t have to worry about getting your walk-in shower installed yourself. Installations are often completed within one to two days.

Safe Step walk-in shower features

Safe Step’s walk-in showers include the following features:

• Barrier-free, anti-slip bases
  • Grab bars (round or L-shaped)
  • Hand-held shower wands
  • Optional safety seats
  • Showerheads
  • Corner shelf caddies
  • Optional sliding glass doors
  • Tile composite walls
  • Pressure valves
  • Temperature valves

Each Safe Step walk-in shower is customizable, which gives you the option to add what you need and take away what you don’t for your own personal satisfaction and safety.

How much is a Safe Step walk-in shower?

Safe Step walk-in shower prices start at around $4,000. However, the final cost after installation may be different depending on your scheduling, space and plumbing requirements.

The price of a shower unit plus installation is not listed on the Safe Step website, but that is not uncommon in the industry. You can enter your contact information on its website to receive a free estimate and sign up for an in-home consultation, though.

Safe Step offers tailored financing plans to qualifying individuals, and its Helping Hands Rebate offers up to a $1,500 discount for people with specific medical conditions. Military discounts are also available.

Safe Step walk-in shower FAQ

Does Safe Step offer a warranty?

Yes, Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on its walk-in showers. This warranty includes parts, labor and any manufacturing defects.

Will Medicaid or Medicare cover my Safe Step purchase?

Medicare and Medicaid do not cover the cost of a walk-in shower at this time. However, you may want to reach out to your Medicaid or Medicare representative for more details.

How does the installation process work?

The installation process for a Safe Step walk-in shower usually takes one to two days. Its installers are trained and insured, and their work is 100% guaranteed.

Are Safe Step walk-in showers worth it?

While Safe Step’s prices are at the higher end of the market, it’s worth considering if you are looking for complete service. Its products are designed for individuals with limited mobility, and its customization options let you create a safer and more satisfactory bathing experience. You can also get a free estimate and in-home consultation before making a decision.

Stars Rating

• 64%
  • 18%
  • 9%
  • 3%
  • 6%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Showers?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Showers?
    Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Feb. 18, 2024

Steven, the sales rep, came out and did a wonderful job explaining everything. We talked about the Safe Step walk-in shower but then we talked about things in general. He was an overall nice person. He went to see my hot water heater and my electrical box. He was concerned about everything and I liked that. I have a 40-gallon hot water tank and he said it was fine but if I ever need another one, I should get a 50-gallon one. I've had a total knee replacement, which was the reason why I needed the walk-in shower and it was what I expected.

The guy who installed the walk-in shower didn't leave a lot of things that he was supposed to. He also didn't put up the shower curtains. I called Steven and he contacted the guy who came back and corrected everything. So, Steven did a wonderful job throughout. He had been with Safe Step for about 30 years. But the installer left something off and I was gonna call Steven. I have had problems with the water coming out when I take a shower, which was what the installer was talking about, but I didn't want him to improvise.

I ordered the shower in August and I had my knee replacement on the 13th. The guy on the phone said they were gonna put a rush on it but it was October before the installer came and installed it. I was on a lot of medication and when he told me that he was gonna improvise, I just said yes. I think it’s the height of the step-in, which is why the water is coming out. There are weights on the shower curtain and I got confused. I thought they were magnets but they weren't. They would stick to the sides of the walk-in so, I have to be very careful to make sure that they're in place because that's where the water comes out on the floor.

The occupational therapist showed me how to get in and out because I didn't know that the arms of the chair fold back. I don't know if Safe Step was supposed to do that or not but I was foggy because I was in a lot of pain medication. I had a bathtub and I don't know what happened to it. I didn’t want it anyway. I was gonna ask them to carry it away but it didn’t come to mind at that particular time. I was happy that they didn't leave it here. One friend asked me who did the walk-in shower because he wanted some work done. My brother’s wife is handicapped and he asked me about it and who did it. So, I told him that Safe Step did it. He said he would give them a call. Another lady who's a friend of mine inquired about it too.

Pinned

Rosie, thank you for your feedback. We're glad Steven provided a thorough explanation during the consultation and promptly addressed any issues with the installation. We apologize for any oversight and appreciate your recommendations to others. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we're committed to improving our services based on your feedback. Thank you for choosing Safe Step!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Showers delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023

I called Safe Step. The guy came out, gave me the bill, but it was too expensive for me. However, he was aware that the VA had a program for veterans that I could qualify for. And I had in my master bathroom a shower that had a drain. I couldn't use it. It was leaky when I bought this house three years ago. The guy said, "Maybe we could hook you up with that kind of a program." So, I followed that with the VA. And I was able to qualify for that.

It was a frustrating experience to get to completion, but I am most satisfied with the completed result. Because the first guy had us turn in some stuff, said he would call me and be back the next week. But I never heard from him. He quit and nobody picked up my job from his stuff. I called the second time and said, "This guy said I could do something with the VA and I need to turn in to the VA to see if I can do this." "Oh, okay." So, they got somebody else out here to do the measurements and it got turned in. I was approved reasonably quickly.

The day when the installer was supposed to come, he got sick. So, Safe Step called me and said, "We're sorry, but our person is sick." Nobody could have done anything about the guy who got sick. So, they had to reschedule me again. Finally, on that last time, the guy showed up and did an excellent job. It took me from June the 6th when I first got involved until October 15th when they finished the installation.

The installers had to take out the old cement drain and relocate for the position of the new drain because the shower that would go in would have a longer base than the one that they would take out. And they had to do all the stuff for the plumbing to get that up into the studs. They measured everything out and put blocks where they would put braces. And they got everything braced where they had to put in the ceiling. Also, they had to readjust where things were on a wall that was there.

The installer worked with his helper the first day when they put up all the sheets of stuff to make the walls. And the next day, he came back and did all of the detail work. And he had to do a bit of putting in a piece of sheet rock in an area where it was left because he worked in a 60-inch space. But I had a pipe that took up five inches of that. So, they could only put in a 48-inch shower so he could throw in a piece of sheet. The second day, he came back. He did all the stuff, got everything caulked. The second day was easier and he didn't need a helper. But he was very meticulous. He did an excellent job. I was amazed that one young man did it because it looked so good. I like its size and that it can now be used. That was a good thing that they approved that I could increase the size of it. I was able to update the rest of the bathroom as well. It fits the space much nicer.

Installation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2023

I talked to my primary care physician who is a VA doctor. I just mentioned Safe Step Walk-In Showers to her, and she said, "I'll look into it." They called and told me that they had received my prescription for a walk-in shower. My doctor did all that. I was called and told when the installers would come out. So, I asked them what time, and they said between 8:00 and 9:00. So, I've got my family up, and we waited on them to arrive. They came in and Louis introduced himself, and his partner came up.

They started bringing their equipment in, and worked on taking the tub out. They moved back and forth, took stuff in and out. When they got down to the part where they started putting it together, they started bringing the equipment in. I didn't wanna get in their way so I stayed in the living room while they brought the shower in piece by piece.

One asked me if I wanted to take a look at how it looked so far. I went back there and saw it was taking shape. So, I went out. And it took them the whole day to finish it. When they got to completion, he said, "Would you like to take a look at it now?" So, I went back there. I was amazed how good it looked. I told the man, "That is nice." He asked, "You like it?" I said, "Yeah, I like it." He said, "I'm glad you like it now." So, they went on and told me that he were finished. Everything that they ripped up, they took out. After the installation, they vacuumed up all the debris which they took and hauled off. Once they came out, I said, "You guys heading back to North Carolina now? He said, "Yeah." I said, "Have a safe trip." And I thanked them for the shower.

I was the first one to take a shower after they finished. Because I asked the installer, "When could I use it?" And he said, "Tomorrow." At first, there was a minor problem where I couldn't get the hot water mixed with the cold water because it was scalding hot. So, after I finished showering, I called Safe Step and asked them if they could send the installers back out, because there was a small problem where I couldn't get cold water to come in and mix with the hot water. And they had a few problem as far as getting the installer to come out. But he finally did.

It wasn't the same guy. It was a guy named Joe. And he has something to do in the office there. He said, "Someone will be there even if I have to come myself." So, he came out and corrected that. I took another shower and had a wonderful experience. The water was good and the spray was fine. It's making a bit of impact. I was unable to take showers because my legs wouldn't allow me to get over the bathtub level. My skin was drying out because all I could do is go into the bathroom and use the sink to wash up. So, I had some spots on my leg where I had been injured playing softball. I couldn't keep it moist with water because I couldn't shower. And it was far for me to reach down there with my hands to do it. I could walk right in and turn the water on, and stand up under the shower with a washcloth and scrub myself down. And that takes care of some of the dead skin.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2023

The initial contact with Safe Step was wonderful. The sales rep was a very pleasant man. But it took quite a while for them to come out and install it. They had given us an initial date then it went past that date. When they came out to do the install, they did it quickly. But there were a couple of issues. There were three panels that went in. The third panel was not behind the showerhead but on the opposite side of the showerhead. When they were drilling that to put up the last panel, they drilled through the other side of the wall. The installer was very upset with himself, and he came out to the living room and apologized. He said, "We're gonna seal up that hole. It didn't go into your fuse box. I'm gonna put a temporary thing up. You still won't be able to use your shower until then." This was a Tuesday. He said his brother is a plumber and that he'd send him over that Friday to put the last wall up and fix everything.

In the meantime, my husband looked in the bathroom and saw this long scratch in my wall, on the opposite side of the toilet. It wasn't a big gouge, but it was deep enough that it had to have some type of fixing. It had to have some kind of a putty or something to fix it. Also, we didn't know how to match the color of the wall. I called the guy on his cell phone and he called back. He said, "When my brother comes out, we could get the paint matched. He can get that fixed up for you." It made it sound like it was no problem.

The next day, we woke up and smelled this horrible sewer smell. We went in and used the toilet to flush it. We heard these loud gurgling sounds. I was not only angry that he put a hole on the wall near the fuse box and had this big scratch on the wall, but we also had this smell and gurgling noise. When I called down to the main office, I spoke to a lady thinking she was the one I needed to speak to. I vented with her first. The she said, "I need to pass you over to the manager." I had to go through it again. When I was speaking to the manager, she was at a point where she didn't wanna let me speak. I've been in customer service. I used to train operators on the phone for answering services. The very best thing to do is allow the person to vent, let them say everything they want, then diffuse the situation. She wasn't doing that. As I was raising my voice and trying to get my point across, she was raising her voice at the same time.

At one point, I told her, "Please let me vent out everything I wanna say and then respond to me." She wouldn't let me do that. She kept interrupting me and telling we they were handling it. Three times, as we were talking back and forth, we got disconnected and I'd call her back. It would go to voicemail. She was avoiding the call. I waited a little bit and called back again. Finally, she answered. She said she had reached to the older brother and he was gonna be calling me back. A little bit later, he called me back and told me, "All you have to do is have you or your husband run water. They didn't finish running water into your system to test it and allow that hatch to close. The hatch is open right now and that's why you're getting the odor and the gurgling." As soon as he told us that, my husband went into the bathroom, ran water in the shower, and that thing closed. There was no more smell or gurgling.

But overall, we're happy with the shower. It's beautiful. The old showerhead was very stiff and you couldn't move it. This showerhead is very flexible. It's so much easier 'cause I have trouble with my hands with neuropathy. The settings on it are easy to get to. I just wish the whole thing wasn't so expensive. When it came out to 11,500, that was double what I was anticipating.

Reviewed July 6, 2023

The shower part of our walk-in tub is okay and the other shower fixings were fine. But there are a couple of problems. I went to Home Depot and bought a showerhead that would come down more. They had it set way too high. It was going plumb on top of my wife's head. I told the guy that installed it about this and he said that was their standard thing. But what about the short people? That's the whole idea of a safe shower. It means they accommodate me for it to work for the safety of people. I had to go get fixtures and it's just a matter of hooking them up. You don't have to be a genius to do it. I got that solved.

The other issue is the water thing that turns the water hot and cold takes forever. When the water finally gets warm, you turn it up and it gets way too warm. That part doesn't work. Also, where the curtain comes down, the lip on the front of the base of the shower, it's not high enough. The curtain has magnets on it, but it doesn't stay unless you're really careful and watch the water 24/7 from coming out into the bathroom. It's not bad, but still, it should drain more in. If the step was just a little bit higher, the curtain would have more room at the bottom to where it wouldn't come out over the top of the thing.

I also had the guy come out. I can't bend over that well to wash my feet so he put a handle bar-like thing down low enough to where I could put my foot up on it and wash my feet. After I tried it, I thought, "That'll probably work." But it doesn't. I don't have a good balance. I had him come back out and take it back off and position it somewhere else in the shower to where it worked for me better.

Outside of those things, we're happy. I didn't go ahead and get the seat because it was too much. I couldn't see paying $800 for a fold-down seat. I bought a shower stool which we can use instead and it works. My wife and I are both handicapped. The reason we got rid of our tub was my wife could get in but she had to have help. I had to steady her so she could step up over the top of the tub. It's the same thing with me. My back is hurt too. Overall, we like the way our Safe Step walk-in tub looks. It's a good-looking thing. I like the room too. It's got a lot more room than the bathtub had.

It's easier to get in and out because you just got a small lip down there. But it's not a big enough one to keep the shower curtain in. The weights help but you have to be really careful because if you're not, you'll have to get ahold of it and pull it back over where it's supposed to be. Also, I saved Safe Step some money because the guy that worked on it said the little things that hold the soap and stuff were really small. They put on a couple of extra ones in there on each side. But he came up with an idea.

I had this white block on the walls for the covering. I told the guy I would like to keep those two. But it wasn't as good. It wasn't as nice as far as holding things. So the guy said, "Well, what I can do is, right down here, I can cut across here, cut around those and cut across and cut across, and leave those there." The deal was to enclose the whole shower, the top, and the sides. That was already done so that saved him from having to do that because he didn't have to put the whole wall. He still had to put a piece in there about four-foot from where he cut on down. It really doesn't match. It looks okay but it isn't quite the same whiteness as the other was. But I can live with that. Overall, it's all right and I'm satisfied.

Price

Reviewed May 12, 2024

Safe Step has a very good design and I like some of the features that came with the shower. I like the shower head spray thing from up above. I also like having flexibility with the handheld. There's a nice arrangement for the grab bars and the seat too. I'm very happy with the shower. The one thing that I asked them about and they just left me without resolving was the handheld and the spray up above are wimpy. I like a nice, strong shower. Safe Step needs to do a better job of monitoring the people that they hook up with to do the work. They had to tear out a little closet in order to put this in. They left everything outside the shower in a mess.

There are boards coming down from the attic that have nails sticking out. They left the upper part of the shower with the drywall and not sealed off at all. There's a crack joining spot between the wall of the shower and the ceiling. I question if having bare drywall in the ceiling is a good idea when you have all that moisture going on. They pulled up a lot of tile in order to put this in and to get the old tub out, but they just left it. I'm here with my tile floor that was here, which I may or may not wanna keep, but with jagged edges of the old tile and bare wood sticking up between where the tile stops. I asked them if they were going to do anything about it but they said no and that I would have to get somebody which shouldn't cost me more than $10,000. I spent already and presumed it was including finishing off the process.

Pinned

Lucia, thank you for taking the time to review us. We're glad to hear that you enjoy your Safe Step walk-in shower and its features, such as the flexible handheld showerhead, grab bars, and seat. However, we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during the installation process. Our commitment is to deliver a service that is 100% guaranteed, and we acknowledge that we may have fallen short of that commitment in your case. To better understand and address your specific concerns, please reach out to our customer service team. You can contact us at 1-800-989-5101 or service@safesteptub.com. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Reviewed May 10, 2024

Safe Step Walk-In Showers did a good job. I would recommend them. Their rep was very knowledgeable. Also, the installer was professional. I feel good about taking a shower. I enjoy it because I can sit down.

Pinned

Bob, we're thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience with Safe Step Walk-In Showers! Providing top-notch service and ensuring our customers feel safe and comfortable is our priority, so it's wonderful to know that you're enjoying your shower and the added convenience it brings. If you ever have any questions or need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you for recommending us, and we appreciate your support!

Reviewed May 10, 2024

I feel great about Safe Step. The installer took all day because he had to get rid of the old tub. But he was very nice and did a good job. I am enjoying my new shower. I'm 95 and it's easy for me to get in and out of. I was always afraid I might slip and fall, but I don't have that worry now. I haven't used the seat that came with it, but it's there if and when I need it.

Pinned

Elizabeth, thank you for your review! We're delighted to hear that you're enjoying your Safe Step shower! Your safety and comfort are our utmost priorities, and we're thrilled to know that the installation process went smoothly and that you feel secure using the shower. It's wonderful to hear that the features, like the ease of getting in and out, are making a positive difference in your daily routine. If you ever decide to try out the seat or have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you for choosing Safe Step, and we wish you many more comfortable and worry-free showers!

PriceStaff

Reviewed May 10, 2024

I was very pleased with the Safe Step salesperson who initially came out. He was so polite, knowledgeable and wasn't pushy. He acted like he had real interest in my interest. He's a caring representative of the company. I was also very pleased with the installer. It took a day to install the shower. He had some touching-up work to do so he came back when he said he was gonna come back. He was kind, trustworthy, and proficient at his job. I feel safe with my new shower. It's attractive as well. I'm very satisfied.

Pinned

Doris, we're thrilled to hear about your positive experience with our salesperson and installer! Providing exceptional service and ensuring your satisfaction are top priorities for us. It's wonderful to know that you feel safe and satisfied with your new shower. If you ever have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you for choosing Safe Step!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceStaff

Reviewed May 10, 2024

The way Safe Step started off with the price was they'd give you $1,200 off if you buy it and give you so many months to pay it off. But the guy that I was dealing with screwed me on a lot of things about the walk-in shower. He charged me $14,000 for what I got. It doesn't have anything in it but a sprinkler. I didn't get the one with the head spray. I also wanted the one that you can't see through. He told me the one that I wanted wouldn't fit because I had a window there. It cost me $1,800 to put in one of them heat windows.

After the people installed the shower, I looked at it and told them that was not what I ordered. I called the boss about it a week ago and he said he was gonna speak to the guy about it but he still won’t give it to me without me paying for it. I'm dissatisfied. My wife and I are handicapped and it's not very comfortable for her. I didn't like the grab bars that they put in there for her to pull herself from the seat. They got to get another grab bar because the other one is too large. They came last week for that but I haven't got that yet.

Pinned

Cecil, we're genuinely sorry for any frustration or confusion you've experienced. Our aim is always to provide clear and accurate information about our products and services. It seems there may have been some miscommunication or misunderstanding, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We're committed to resolving any issues and ensuring your satisfaction. Please contact us at 1-800-989-5101 or service@safesteptub.com, so we can address your concerns and find a solution together.

Safe Step Walk-In Showers Company Information