Restoration Hardware

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a 9x12 very expensive woven Zeta rug from RH. After a week, I noticed flies everywhere near the rug. I pulled up the corners and noticed rice size black larvae and dead flies between the rug and pad. I am horrified. I killed over a hundred flies in my house and there are more about to hatch. RH refunded my rug and delivery, but I still can't believe the quality of this $2,000 rug. I'm still sick about putting my family's health at risk with this rug obviously from India or China. I just want to warn others about this issue. Don't take the risk of buying from RH.

While I appreciate the quality and design of the furniture, the shipping and delivery experience has been an absolute disaster. Wrong items shipped, damaged items and "losing" a 230 pound 9' long media console during shipping. I have no confidence that RH can deliver a product they sell.

I purchased my marble table from RH because that time it looked like the best option. The day I got my delivery workers hit my door with it making the crack on it. Moment they put it on the floor they made huge scratches. I refused to accept the table. After two weeks of waiting a new table was delivered to me and guess what it was even in worst condition than the first one. It looked like someone made cracks and scratches on it and store just smoothly restore it. Table looked horrible. I did send it back again. I don't know what to expect next.

I just received nearly $10,000 of brand new Restoration Hardware bedroom furniture (2 night stands and a dresser) with the Shagreen finish. There is a highly toxic smell coming from the drawers and the furniture in general. It has been over a week and it won't go away and is making both my husband and I dizzy and nauseous. The last bedroom furniture I purchased from them 5-6 years ago was beautifully lined with cedar and well made. I don't know where the furniture is being made now or how something so toxic could be imported to the US but, I will not order from them again. This is horrible!

I worked at RH in Westport from before it actually opened its doors with Richard Gordon at the helm through to Gary Friedman's destruction of true customer service and beyond for about 12 years. (I had a very low 4-digit employee #!) During that time - before 9/11 - my husband and I purchased the Blaine Bedroom Set with a king bed, 2 side tables and the 11-drawer bureau! At that time the policy was that you could return ANY PURCHASE at ANY TIME without even having a receipt, and you would receive the last price it sold for in cash, even if we no longer sold it! It was especially difficult to research items that were years old to find the UPC code to give the reimbursement, but no matter what, we ultimately were successful! The philosophy was "The Customer Is ALWAYS Right!" And we were always pleasant and persistent!

Now I have had reason to call the store in Westport to try to get some replacement bureau handles that were lost in a move and some sort of help regarding a cracking bedside table top. I provided my name, employee #, and name of the furniture set! The employee said that they didn't have it in their UPC reference book so it couldn't be replaced. Couldn't I just buy some new handles. Well. They are such an oddball size no one makes it! Not even RH.

I asked to speak to his manager to give him a break. She didn't "remember " them ever carrying Blaine furniture and she couldn't find anything under my # except a RETURN of the Blaine Headboard because it was broken. Aha! The Blaine did in fact exist!!! Then she said she didn't have any other things with the UPC #'s, and couldn't help any further since the table couldn't be replaced or new hardware from the manufacturer! And they didn't have the records which they ALWAYS kept in employee purchases! We are not finished yet!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

I have furnished three homes with Restoration Hardware. Each time I have experienced excellent service. I had an issue with a marble dining table and they were right on it and willing to replace the piece. I am very happy with the company. The furniture is beautiful and I love the new Modern pieces.

I would expect much more decent service for a company who is trying to differentiate on quality and whose price point is what it is! I paid $6k for a couch. Delivery vendor is awful. I called to try and schedule a delivery and the woman didn't know how to contact her colleague who I had sent the COI. She got frustrated and hung up on me. I emailed the vendor three times asking what my delivery slot was and got no response! Then when the delivery finally got scheduled I stayed home for my time slot and the couch never showed up! Call customer service only for them to say "Yeah that happened to a customer this morning - she still hasn't received hers". You would think that they would learn from that experience and tell other customers that day that they were experiencing issues. I'll never shop here again.

My experience with Restoration Hardware was my first and quite possibly my last. I ordered a media system from their final sale. I was billed before the item was scheduled to be delivered, which I thought was odd because even Rooms To Go waits until it is delivered. Anyways, the delivery company calls to schedule date and said to expect a call in a couple of days to schedule delivery window, woman was okay, not rude but not friendly either. Delivery company calls like she said, and schedules the time frame for delivery.

Day of delivery, I get a phone call, same woman that scheduled the date says: "Did they call you?" then laughs and says it was damaged. "Do you still want it? call this # and tell them what happened." Really?? I have to call and explain? I called RH and explain and tell them to reverse the charges including the membership fee. Of course, the woman on the other end tries to talk me out of it. Bottom line, at their prices they should have a reputable delivery company that can handle all deliveries with class!

I had an unforeseen issue with my $4300 couch. Not only did RH completely disregard my concerns, not respond or return my calls, but they also did not help me find a solution. I had my now damaged couch for less than 5 years and I think this business is bogus. I requested they have the staff do a site visit to assess the damage and RH refused. You will get better customer service at Bob's Furniture or Ashley Furniture and pay a fraction of the price. Just because you pay a lot for their furniture you are not paying for high quality customer service. I suggest you avoid RH as much as possible.

Before I begin with my own review, wanted to touch on "Allison from NY"'s review. It makes no sense. She says she received a throw as a gift and loved it so much that she bought 4 more. When she washed the one she received as a gift, it was basically ruined and, when calling RH, was asked for a receipt. She said, because it was a gift, she had no proof of purchase, so nothing could be done. Um, she said she bought FOUR MORE, so why not just give the proof of purchase from one of those 4, if they are exactly the same item??

ANYWHO, now for my own review... I think a good rule of thumb when shopping at RH is to stick with their smaller items (lighting and accessories, primarily). Never buy large case goods (tables, dressers, dining furniture, etc), as they look good, initially, but are made terribly. Certain popular websites (O.co, for example) carry many of the very same pieces for a fraction of the price.

A great example is their "aviator chair" (which I own). RH sells this chair for between $2000 and $3000, while o.co has the exact same chair for $559 (theirs is called the "accelerator chair"). Keep in mind, RH will charge an additional $200 for shipping (o.co's shipping is free). It is literally the same exact chair. A friend of mine ordered the o.co version and we compared hers to mine. They have to be made by the same manufacturer, because every single thing, down to the rivets, is identical. It was after seeing this that I decided never to pay the insane prices for seating that RH charges. I mean, I can see a little more, but $1500-$2500 more, PLUS $200 for shipping?? NO THANKS.

RH is very hit or miss when it comes to their customer service. I ordered a light fixture and immediately realized I'd ordered the wrong finish. Within moments of placing the order, I contacted customer service and was told there was nothing that could be done, as the item had been "reserved". This was a Sunday evening, at about 11:00pm. I was so angry, I told them I would simply refuse the package and would not be reordering. The customer service person's response was, "Is there anything else I can help you out with today?" At which point I hung up. I called back a few minutes later and reached a different rep. I explained the situation to him and he profusely apologized, cancelled the wrong fixture and ordered the proper one for me. There seems to be no consistency from one rep to the next, as far as their policies go.

As far as the lighting goes... Pretty much my entire home has been outfitted with RH lighting. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but the quality and style is great, compared to what's available at large home improvement retailers. If you live near an RH Outlet, I would HIGHLY suggest a visit, as they have a lot of lighting that's been marked down and they offer an 40% off on most weekends. Just make sure to inspect them prior to leaving the store, as they are not returnable. I found a gorgeous Meridian chandelier (now discontinued), marked down from $2000 to $200! It now hangs over my bed, after a few years above my dining table. I will attach a pic.

RH does have wonderful Christmas decor, although I would suggest waiting until after Christmas to purchase. I just wish they would discount a bit deeper. It is nearly May and they still have quite a bit available, because they seem to reduce the price one time and that's pretty much it. The moral of this story is just steer clear of the large furniture pieces RH offers. Stick with lighting, accessories and SOME of the small, occasional furniture pieces and mirrors. Do this and you'll be fine.

I bought a complete dining room set and the entire ordeal was a disaster! The first sideboard doors did not close properly into the holes, therefore the doors shake and are unleveled. The second sideboard delivered was in worse condition so I kept the first one. I returned all the dining chairs because they were all pilled and dirty. (RH advertises the chairs are made of the finest Belgian linen.) Belgian linen does not pill. The first hutch came in a totally different color than the rest of the set so I returned that on.The second hutch had dripping stain all down the bottom of the front lower area of the door and base. The table had chipped wood along the sides. All their furniture is made in China. Please do your research before buying RH Restoration Hardware!

Purchased this printmakers double vanity washstand, I paid $200 for deliver. Delivery took 2 1/2 weeks, had the plumber and counter company ready to go (took one month to set up appointments with both plumber and counter company). The vanity arrived and I was told by the delivery team that the vanity was checked twice, once before it left the Waterhouse and again before delivery. I was so disappointed to find the front left leg was damaged, chunk of partial wood was pushed in, about 5" of damage (supposedly it was listed as being SOLID WOOD). I was willing to keep the vanity as is, just to avoid the inconvenience.

Contacted Restoration Hardware and they offered me 10% off the damaged vanity!!! Or to order a new vanity and it would take another 2 1/2 weeks for delivery. I asked if the vanity could be a rush delivery, due to all the inconvenience that this has brought to my household. Nothing more could be done, even having a one bathroom home out of service for this long. Customer service did not help, during this huge inconvenience in my household of 5! Very disappointed in company.

I purchased the 7 foot Petite Maxwell sofa on August 1, 2016 and it was delivered in mid-September. I found the sofa uncomfortable but that is not the reason I am writing this review. After 6 months, the upholstery on the seat cushion split creating a 2" hole. I expect wear and tear over time - although nothing similar has occurred with other sofas or chairs. I live alone and while I sit on the sofa every day, I expect more than 6 months of wear. Like other reviewers, I've concluded that RH is more about style than substance and given how it prices its merchandise, and not a good value.

I'm doing a home remodel, and after waiting for months for the Oval Aero Marble Table and the Shagreen Cube Rectangular Coffee Table, they were finally delivered. Within 3 weeks, the table, billed as a honed Carrara marble literally cracked and started to fall off the pedestal overnight like an earthquake had hit it-- it was clearly made of veneer, despite its >$4,000 price tag. After several urgent calls to customer service, I received an email that the marble was "around plywood", and not solid. The faulty tabletop posed an emergency and, upon threatening that RH would be responsible for my hardwood floor damage if they did not pick it up the same day, the delivery company agreed to get it.

Similarly, the table, made of Shagreen with brass edges, and >$1400, started to experience separation. The glued table edges began to separate and the brass edges started to crack off. Honestly, I've seen better furniture at Sears. Now, I'm doing my best to get refunded, but that is coming in fits and starts, and requiring multiple phone calls. Incredibly disappointing experience. Focus more on furniture quality and less on the glamour of your stores.

I purchased zinc lanterns and they started rusting. I would have expected better quality from RH and when I asked for assistance, none was provided. The whole reason for me purchasing zinc was to avoid the issue of rusting. Very disappointed to pay a premium price for a substandard product. I would not recommend them.

I purchased bar stool through RH. Chairs are not the problem. They also sent out cabinet hardware that was not ordered. I was charged an extra $50 shipping on top of the $200 I was charged for the chairs. I explained that I didn't order the cabinet hardware and they couldn't help me with anything. Even though I had spent thousands of dollars over the past year with the company... Then I had to pay to return the hardware. Customer service refused to help me. Terrible company with terrible customer service. Cancelled my RH membership and will not be buying anything from them again.

I purchased a 20TH C. ENGLISH SLIDER GLASS WIDE DOUBLE-DOOR CABINET from Restoration Hardware. Its original price was $4000, I got it on sale for $2000 - still a lot of money for a glass cabinet. I don't mind paying more money for quality, but problem with RH is they try to come off as selling high-end furniture (the prices certainly are). But when you take away the fancy marketing and actually look at their furniture - they are all extremely cheaply made in China junk that are constructed poorly and with low-end materials. Add on the poor service, and you got a disaster trying to order furniture from them.

Here's a timeline of my nightmare after placing order for this glass cabinet: The material are extremely cheap, the wood used are all cracked and peeling, the hardware parts that are installed on the wood were screwed on uneven and done extremely poorly. The hardware themselves are rusted (no not as weathered style just very poor quality). EVERYTHING is MADE IN CHINA including the hardware. The whole thing looks like it was something I can pick up in a bob furniture store - actually that will be an insult to bob furniture.

Some fun issues include: The giant sliding glass door will literally fall off if you slide it as it's not secured on top. The doors do not close even, there is a giant gap on top. The doors squeak and extremely difficult to slide even after adding some lubricant, because the hardware was not installed evenly on the door. The glass doors are completely scratched up - looks like after you try to sand glass. Cleaning did not help. There are damages and scratches everywhere, corners chipped off, deep gashes like someone took a knife and went across the entire thing.

The delivery service has NO clue how to install this cabinet, even though they are all wearing RH shirts. They are not professionals. The 2 guys spent 4 hours and couldn't figure out how to get the top on, or how to install the sliding door. To be fair - part of the problem is because how badly the furniture itself is. They didn't even try to ask if I was OK with, and just told me I should call RH to have the cabinets replace it. In summary, RH is OK for some of the hardware like cabinet handles and faucets, but when it comes to furniture they are a scam. They try to charge heirloom quality prices for furnitures that are made in China AND very cheaply made junk. Avoid.

I received a faux fur throw as a gift. I loved it so much I purchased 4 more for myself and many as gifts. I washed the one that was gifted to me. As The tag indicates "gentle wash". After washing, the texture changed and it's now so hard it cannot be used. I called customer service and she immediately said "oh those should be dry cleaned". Well the tag says they can be washed. So that's the first problem.

She then said "let's exchange this for you"- she went through the inventory they had available and we selected the replacement color. She then requests a receipt or proof of purchase. Many problems with this request: Ummm this was a gift!!! The only way they were able to track the purchase was if it was purchased online versus in an actual store. If it was purchased in a store they offered zero assistance.

They ONLY sell their own brand name products and their products are NOT sold in any over outlet. So how is this not proof it was purchased at a restoration hardware?? So now I have to rid of an expensive throw because I can't prove it was purchased there. Which is baffling!!! Their customer service is awful. Will no longer purchase anything there knowing they do not stand behind their own products.

I have bought much furniture from RH over the past couple of years. The problem I am having is with their delivery company, FGO Logistics of Elmwood Park, NJ. They have a habit of not arriving during the specified time interval. One time they arrived at 7:30 AM on a Saturday, and today they were supposed to arrive between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. My neighbor told me that someone was ringing my bell at 8:00 AM, so, needless to say, I was not available to answer. I called the delivery service and was told that my delivery was delayed. When I called them at 3:00 PM they said they were done for the day, so my apartment is left in disarray without my furniture.

I placed an order for a bed on sale. It took several weeks for someone to call and say the bed made it to Michigan, for delivery. Then another week later, I received a call from RH telling me the bed has been damaged and there are no more of these beds left in the color that I wanted. Instead of saying, "we are very sorry for the inconvenience, we would be more than happy to deliver the white bed to you at no delivery charges or a discount for your inconvenience." There was nothing!

Really... Whatever happened to making the customer happy, so they will tell someone else the good news about how RH went out of their way to follow through on an order. Now, they lost a sale and they are getting a complaint to Consumer Affairs. Thanks for nothing. Oh, I guess you will refund the interest you made off of $1400.00 for 1 month. For that reason, I give you 1 star because I cannot give a zero. Maybe you should go visit L.L. Bean and take some lessons.

I loved the two solid crystal lamps I ordered from Restoration Hardware through their membership program. I got them at 25% discount and they looking stunning in my bedroom. I had absolutely no issues with ordering or receiving these lamps. I am quite surprised by the negative comments on this site. Great company and fabulous quality of products!

I ordered this chair and was quickly dissatisfied. The seat cushion depressed where I sat only 3 hours. The leather is so soft that it's bagging and wrinkling on the seat cushion in huge ugly wrinkles. The height is advertised at 27.5 inches and I only measure 21.5 inches. When I called customer service today I was told that I should have expected a depressed seat cushion because it's polyfiber, it's meant to cave in and the leather is supposed to gap and wrinkle. They would not consider an exchange or even store credit. They told me to call back in a year. What? I weigh 110 lb. What will this chair look like after my husband sits in it for a year? No longer an RH fan.

The worst online experience ever, wouldn't recommend to my enemies. We've bought a bed with a tent to our son, using 3 gift cards, where the nightmare started. Total of the purchase (with taxes) $1,389.94, paid with 3 gift cards of $500 each. Balance of the gift cards after purchase ZERO. This discussion is going on since October 2016... The COLE FRAMED HOUSE BED took 20 days to arrive which we accepted. Bed arrived damaged, the item is out of stock, we accepted a different one. New bed will arrive on 01/10/2017, around 80 days after the original order. The COLE CANVAS TENT took around 70 days to arrive. We also accepted this deadline, too long but... The Tent arrived finally, with a hole on the fabric. Next tent, should be shipped early March, 7-10 business days to delivery.

I'm writing this while I'm waiting for the customer service, once again, maybe the 4-5th time, check the balance of the gifts cards, new delivery of the damaged items, and the new problem with Hole on the tent. Nobody returns the calls that they guarantee "I will return the call with a solution..." I've paid $100 to be a member of the store, for special discounts and VIP treatment, where? Why pay for this piece of garbage? I've had more discussions with my wife because of this order than in our life. I'm really upset. Wasting a Saturday afternoon, to clear the ... of RH, for what? I'm sure the other items will arrive damaged, and I will come back here, while I wait for the customer service again. I'm still on the phone. Now the person concluded the call saying that my gift cards are invalid, and someone will call me in 5-7 business days, again, about the balance of the gift cards, but they will issue a new one with $51.35. The total is $110.06.

Bad service and product? My experience was exactly the opposite. Not only is it super obvious regarding the $100 fee when you sign up for the membership, it comes with endless interior designer help. Kim ** in the West Hollywood, CA store came to my place, did a CAD drawing, gave lots of great suggestions in terms of furniture mapping, and had unique ideas. Of course they are trying to sell you lots of RH stuff, but they do understand that you will likely just be buying some items from them. I got about 8 hours of design time with her over a few days which I found to be incredibly helpful. I have purchased 3 sofas from them, all of them reasonably priced for what I got (they were all tufted leather, roughly 8 1/2 ft sofas in the $2600 range). They came exactly as described.

I recently purchased the AXIS brass 60" chandelier. When I hung it, the wires didn't fall exactly in line, which concerned me since I liked the fixture but I know the full refund policy on it is only 7 days from shipping arrival date. I called up customer service and explained my concern, and they offered to extend the return period to 2 months to give the wires settling time from being crated up during shipping. If I wasn't happy at that time, I could return for full refund or get a replacement. So I have to say, no negative experiences for me, however, you do have to realize you are engaging with a higher end retailer, and the prices on items will reflect that. But I feel that the quality has been well worth the price.

My reason for writing this review is to let those of you out there who are feeling reticent about ordering from RH because of the negative reviews know...that we had a very positive experience for the entire process. We placed our order after business hours on Saturday, Dec. 31st and received our order this morning, Jan 5th at 7:30 am. Amazing! I received a call from RH on the 3rd at 11:37 am notifying me of the scheduled delivery for today, Jan 5th, and that the delivery service would call 10 min in advance, which they did. They brought all the parts up to the 2nd floor without any issues and assembled the bed with total ease and grace.

These guys were the ultimate professionals. They were so polite and personable. I have only praise for RH for their standards because this was an unparalleled experience. I've had plenty of bad experiences with deliveries so I know ** happens, but not this time! The bed is amazing. It is flawless and beautiful and compliments our bedroom so beautifully. Just to note...we ordered our mattress before our bed and the bed came first! Just a note: if you join as a member you will save more than the membership fee, so it is well worth it. I read a negative review about this and I just don't get it...we saved a lot and since I'll be making some more purchases we'll be saving more! We are very happy. Thank you RH!

I have made multiple Purchases from RH - all of my dining and living room furniture is from RH (sofas, chairs, dining room chairs, lighting, tables, small tables, mirrors). All of my bedding, curtains, and many decorations come from all of RH lines (regular, modern, and teen). I am more than satisfied with RH. My experience with them have been incredible, online, store, and outlets. I haven't had any issues with the quality whatsoever. I once had an issue with a shipment because UPS lost my package, RH not only overnighted a new package but I got a gift card for future purchases. All honestly, I love this store and I don't understand all the issues reported here. RH deserves a lot more credit than just 2 1/5 stars. RH is 5 stars in my book.

This past Nov, we decided to finally splurge on a few pieces we've been eyeing for a few years now. We purchased the 9 ft sofa, 2 chair and a half, the dutch reclaimed wood coffee table, 2 antler sconces and 2 floor lamps, and faux fur throws & pillows. The quality seems great, so far. The delivery scheduling was easy and the delivery guys were great. All our furniture was delivered 2 weeks earlier than expected. Loved that! We also became members, which saved us 25% on top of sale items too. Can't wait to order a few more pieces while we have the membership. Absolutely will shop here again and definitely recommend it.

I was drawn to Restoration Hardware by the great line they had on soft goods, especially the cashmere robes. Not the best price, but I could get it monogrammed for my wife and have it for Christmas!! I tried to track my order online but was denied access to their site. I called four days before Christmas and was informed that the robe was hung up in transit between purchase and monogramming and that it was now in monogramming. I asked when would I receive the robe. I was advised by 12/29. I was very displeased, but was nice about it. Today is 12/30. I called and asked where was the robe. It was to be shipped today and I should have it next week. Not happy. I said they should do something about it. I was advised they would take the charge for monogramming off. I told them they must need the $8.00 more than I did and to keep it. Oh, reader you can rest assured I will never trust another important gift to Restoration Hardware.

Purchased a $4,000.00 leather sofa. When delivered had mismatched legs, scuffs to leather, two large indentations in the leather on back of sofa, and what looks like oil spots on cushion. When I contacted their customer service was told that they could not replace since sofa had been discontinued (I was never told of the discontinuance at the time of purchase). Additionally, rather than replacing the mismatched legs they offered to sell me new ones. This is really outrageous from a store that claims to be high end and claims that sofas such as mine are custom made on basis of order. I urge that everyone beware! I would have been better off spending $500 at Big Lots for a sofa!

This was the letter I wrote them and the only response I received was, "We are sorry!!" Ugh. "Hey, I just have to say I ordered a great deal of bedding and a frame with you guys and the shipping of the products have been a nightmare from missing sheets, to now I have to wait an extra two weeks for my bed frame to be delivered, when already it's late and I took a day off from work to be home to receive the frame and was told within an hour that the frame wasn't going to be delivered. I just had to write you guys to vent my frustration with this purchase. A gift will now have to wait until after Christmas. You guys really dropped the ball on this one!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Restoration Hardware prides itself on being at the cutting edge of trends and technology in the furniture industry. The company mainly caters to luxury buyers offering a curated collection of historical reproductions and updated classics.

• Complementary decor and accessories: Restoration Hardware offers a large selection of home accessories to match the styles and colors of its furnishings. Custom window treatments or matching rugs can help finish a room.
  • Customize hardware: In addition to a wide variety of furniture options, Restoration Hardware also lets you choose accents like drawer handles, door-knockers and hinge designs.
  • Source Book app: Do you love to leaf through pages of interior designs looking for inspiration? The Source Book mobile app lets you see what Restoration Hardware has to offer without having to lug around a heavy catalog.
  • Green: Restoration Hardware is working to do its part for the environment by cutting back on how often the Source Book is printed and using 100 percent forest-certified paper.
  • Trade sales: Restoration Hardware offers a 20 percent discount for all trade orders, except those made online.
  • Best for Luxury buyers, interior designers and professionals.

Compare Furniture Stores