1.31/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Last updated: May 10, 2018

343 Restoration Hardware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 10, 2018

Extremely poor quality and the company does not care, once they have your money. We bought a Sorenson sofa with the Belgian linen fabric. Big mistake. The linen is paper thin and within 2.5 years, had worn holes from normal wear and tear (ie, people sitting on the sofa. Which is what a sofa is made for.) The linen is also saggy and wrinkly and looks old and cheap (It was not cheap!). The ineffectual customer-service agents simply say it's not their problem. I will never buy a single thing from Restoration Hardware again and advise others to stay away. The fancy designs mask an appalling lack of quality.

Original review: May 3, 2018

We bought a couch 6 months ago from RH and spend around $10K. After 3 months the fabric peeled significantly (this was their "indestructible fabric" as they called it). It was significant enough that the couch appeared old and used. We complained and RH agreed to replace the fabric. Three of the pillows (replacement fabric) came damaged and peeled even worse than the original fabric and looked this attached picture in four weeks. We asked RH to replace the fabric on the 3 damaged pillow covers and Jennifer ** response from customer service was that it is their policy to only exchange the fabric ONE time even if the fabric is damaged from the peeling. It appears as if the quality of their fabric is so poor that the appearance of the fabric in the attached photo is normal wear and tear. DO NOT buy from this company. I give them zero stars for customer service and product quality. There are so many other furniture stores who value their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2018

While working at the Westport, CT store #107, from the time it opened in 1997/8 ish until 2011... From original owner and creator Stephen Gordon through many different owners/administrations/iterations/changing from a great place to find unusual hardware, furnishings, awesome bath towels, Art Deco and Mission Style furniture, pine, and Cherry as well! Great selection of books, window coverings and hardware, living room and dining room furniture all normal human sized furniture before the development of the McMansions advance across the countryside. At that time we were proud to say all of our furniture was 100% American made.

I purchased a beautiful bedroom set, 2 bedside tables stupidly designed with a single drawer over a gigantic open void with rope trim, made of some unidentifiable wood everywhere but the insides of the drawers which were cedar, nice! We bought the king sized bed with a high panel headboard with the rope trim and corners topped by spherical finials. Makes you feel like royalty! The bed had wood side rails joining the headboard to the footboard, also paneled with finials, just high enough to be flush with the mattress! Throw in the huge 11 drawer bureau; all furniture painted/stained black and accessorized with bronze hardware - hanging, swinging handles whose ends were held in place by two pegs with openings for the handle ends, the pegs held in place with little decorative disks.

Okay... After approximately 4 months (after the usual nightmare of the headboard arriving cracked and scratched and waiting only another month for the replacement) the handles started to break off and the screws and some pegs needed replacement. I went to the employee (Stock Manager) who was in charge of ordering replacement parts. He was an ageist, sexist, chauvinist, attitudinally abusive guy in his 20’s who made it a hellish experience to request anything from him. I asked him to order 10 replacement handle sets for my furniture. Well, he threw a bag in the counter about a month later which I verbally confirmed with him was the replacement hardware sets... “Well, that’s what you ordered isn’t it?” Was the response.

Now, 13 years later, one moving truck later, the bureau stands partially filled, I pull out the bag of hardware to find only the swinging part of the handle set x 10 in there... NO PIECES TO COMPLETE THE SET to actually Attach in place to once again have a functional drawer instead of using a knitting needle to open the drawers! Also, the bedside table is totally cracked and splitting with the paint/finish coming off. There has been no activity or actions to suggest a reason for this!

I dust and polish or wax my furniture once a week! The only thing I keep on the table is a book or pair of glasses and a lamp.

The policy which was in place at the time of purchase was “Anything, anytime, for any reason, even without a receipt, Restoration Hardware will credit you in the manner you purchased it. And do everything at all possible to make it a pleasant experience, because we truly want you to understand that. The customer is always right!” Well, my experience upon going back to the Westport store, was to get the response of “there’s nothing I can do” “we don’t carry that furniture anymore” (this was after another ultra rude woman/Manager I spoke to in the phone insisted there had never been any such style of bedroom set ever sold by Restoration Hardware EVER).

As a matter of fact the company that manufactured the furniture is OWNED by Restoration Hardware!! Also... For everyone’s information... Restoration hardware furniture is now produced in China... Because of cheap labor... But doesn’t pass the savings onto the customer! The manager (who actually performed no activity but to keep repeating with a pleasant not present expression “There’s nothing I can do for you!”), didn’t offer any sort of solution to the problems... I.e., call the furniture maker to see if they could take a look through the back stock of various extra oddball pieces in the stockroom and get back with an answer. OR, pay for replacement hardware and all of the patching, staining drilling costs to provide matching hardware for the entire set, someone to repair the bedside table top.

She wouldn’t even make any effort other than to suggest I buy replacement hardware, drill new holes, etc. which I wouldn’t do myself, I’d get a carpenter to do it successfully. Nope they wouldn’t pay for that. Wouldn’t pay for a can of furniture putty and some paint either. I said I was very sorry but she didn’t seem to be making any effort to even attempt to think of the right thing to do. She then said “well, then what do you want to do.” And I then said “well, then I want to return the entire set for a refund.” “I can’t do that... We don’t make that set any longer. So I can’t replace it.” I replied “Why makes you think I’d want another set when you won’t make any effort to resolve the problems that have occurred? I’m thinking I’ll just take everything apart and walk it all in through the front doors one busy Saturday and drop it all in the floor. And put my hand out for my refund.”

She says “ I can’t give you a refund...” I ask “what do you mean... You are not going to honour your return policy? I don’t even see any return policy posted at all which is illegal not to have it prominently and legibly posted for the customer to read! When I purchased this set the policy was...” Then... Here’s the kicker. She looks up at me and says “... it’s OLD!” So is Louis XV furniture. Isn’t the furniture I purchase for that price expected to not require replacement every few years due to lack of quality? Most people replace furniture due to change of decor and then they pass the original furniture to their kids! What does that statement mean? I’m not giving it to her as a birthday gift!!! Next chapter is in the wings.

Original review: April 11, 2018

This chandelier is beautiful but impossible to hang. The thin steel safety cable provided to hang 168 pound chandelier broke. The screw for the brass plate that was instrumental to hang this chandelier broke. One of the canopy screws broke. (That could mean 168 pounds of glass falling on someone's head.) The fixture cords frayed. The glass globes rained tiny shards of glass whenever they gently touched each other, which must happen to tediously ensure the globes are level. After 12 hours, our 2 experienced electricians stopped. While RH took the chandelier back without issue, we needed to have the holes in the ceiling repaired and ceiling repainted. This rating falls far below 1 star--a very poorly designed!

Original review: April 10, 2018

We bought a RH fire table that the leg and bracket of an OUTDOOR piece of furniture rusted and rotted away. The table will no longer sit up as intended and now the gas valve won't even work so it nonfunctional. The piece is only 2-3 years old and was designed for and sold for outdoor use. They will not replace or even offer a discount to replace it. They say it is due to the age of the piece. I have had outdoor pieces that last for 15 plus years and to have this rot after 2 is false advertising. DO NOT BUY outdoor pieces from RH. I furnished many pieces of my New home when we moved 4 1/2 years ago. I will no longer purchase from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have been a long time customer of Restoration Hardware. Never again. I was looking to buy a table with dining chairs. I started placing an order for 16 chairs and the dining table. When I tried to order the dining table, the delivery was eight weeks. So I did not order table and tried the day after to cancel chairs that were paired with table. Restoration Hardware refused my cancellation and wanted to me to lose 3000 USD as per their contract. I called them up to explain the stupidity of the situation, their excellent service asked me if I could read English as their only answer. A few days later I called them back to let them know that I will take the chairs to put them in another house, they simply answered that it was too late. I would lose my 3000 dollars and could not get my chairs. They. It is a shame and ridiculous way to treat clients for such a company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Over the past year, we did a complete renovation of our home and purchased new furniture. We chose a couch, master bath hardware, master bed, and living room rug, all from Restoration Hardware. There are problems with all... and the service. We initially told them what date they could deliver the master bed after, since we were still under construction and did not want it in the basement. We let them know if they needed to deliver prior to that date, we would give them the address to the air conditioned storage unit where they delivered our couch. They delivered the bed prior to the date, and let a construction worker sign for it, all the while we never received the phone call it was being delivered.

We complained and demanded they pick it up because it was likely to be damaged. They agreed. They decided to pick it up and deliver a new one all at the same time, when the air conditioning was set up and the house ready. When the time came, they did pick it up but brought TWO beds at that time. It took us months to negotiate them picking up the second bed which was brought by mistake. Then when we assembled everything, the bolt holes didn’t match up. It took us hours to assemble a king size bed that had 4 pieces, and we had to leave a couple bolts not tightened as they did not line up properly. The master shower was sent with the wrong rough in piece.

The plumber had to call and get another delivered, but by that time, the shower had been tiled and the drywall had to be busted out and redone from behind the wall. The shower head had so little pressure, it dribbled out and we had to remove the flow restrictor just to get a decent pressure. The couch...after 7 months, it looks wrinkly and worn like we’ve had it for 10 years. The bottom cushion never was taught with the fabric like the picture shows and the sample in the showroom. When we called about it, they said it was because we had it in storage. Now- keep in mind, we had it in air conditioned storage completely wrapped up in the original packaging. They told us to steam it and it would tighten up.

That did not work. The rug...it’s awful. Probably the WORST purchase EVER made. It is a basketweave rope wool rug. My designer picked it out. When it was delivered and set up, I requested the paperwork on it for care and maintenance as I did not order it. The delivery guys had no paperwork whatsoever. My cleaning lady vacuumed it and it immediately started falling apart. I called the service manager and explained the issue. She said it was because we vacuumed it with the beater bar.

I explained that I requested care info at delivery and they had none. She agreed to replace the rug and advised me on the care, vacuum suction only. We received the replacement the day before Thanksgiving, and by Christmas it looked exactly the same as the first rug regardless of following the care instructions. It’s the worst rug I’ve ever seen. It looks “fuzzy”, leaves tufts of fluff all over the house, and is falling apart. So much for paying $4000 on a stupid rug. I have to throw it away and it’s not even a year old. Overall, I am unhappy with EVERY purchase we made from Restoration Hardware and will not be shopping there again.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Long story short: we spend $5300 on a cloud track sofa, it’s incredibly uncomfortable, we try to remedy that so we get what we pay for. We receive a big fat ‘get over it’ from RH. Here is my reply to tonight's denied repair request on our cloud track sofa: "Well this is beyond disappointing. This sofa is incredibly uncomfortable, we relate it to a ‘slip n slide’, when you sit in it you have to brace yourself so you don’t slide off. Our sofa does not sit even remotely like your floor model did in your store. I guess it’s a bait & switch?!! We will never buy anything from RH (Restoration Hardware) ever again and will be happy to share with anyone how shoddy your company truly is. I just wish I had listened to the reviews before me." Their merchandise looks and feels great in the store, another story in follow up and customer service once you’ve signed the dotted line. La-Z-Boy here we come!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I recently spent several thousands of dollars on a sofa. I ordered it in beginning of December. It’s now March 9 & I was scheduled for delivery 3 days ago. The delivery company was due to arrive between 8-11am. I received a call (after taking day off) at 10:45 telling me due to a storm the day before they couldn’t deliver. I have contacted RH over 10 times, all I am told is “I’m sorry” & “I understand”. It’s now 3 days later, I have no sofa, I rescheduled all my clients, sat home for 3 hours for nothing, sold all of my living room furniture & was billed (& paid for) on my credit card for something I still do not have.

It’s now Friday & I won’t hear anything until hopefully Monday! (Almost a week after it was scheduled to be here!) This is the worst customer service I have ever come across & the price for the product is astronomical! If the customer service was as high as the prices, they might be ok. Because of this, I will NEVER order another item from them ever again!!! I’m beyond mad. I tried tracking my item & it says delivered. When I called RH, they said that’s when it was delivered to delivery company. I tried calling delivery company, nobody answers, mailbox is full.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Restoration Hardware gives the illusion of high quality to get your money. After that you're on your own. I first ordered a set of the Belgian Linen sheets about 4 years ago and after a year they'd developed holes in the middle of the fitted sheet. I was sent a replacement set when I contacted customer service and I assumed it was a fluke and not indicative of the general quality of Restoration Hardware linens. That said, now, less than 6 months after the purchase of a second pair of these sheets I'm having the same issues as before. I make sure to delicately wash and air dry these sheets every time so I'm certain it isn't the care. But even still I would hope a set of sheets could last more than 6 months. Don't waste your money on any products from them! I just emailed customer service about this last set and all I got was a $50 credit and I get to keep my crappy sheets. Yay thanks, RH.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

6 months ago I bought this Aero table. This is a cautionary tale. The Marble was matte. Apparently its matte look was sprayed on. My Oval Marble Top table has been barely used. Parts are now shiny which lets me see that the coating is coming off revealing the shiny marble. I called and was told that perhaps I did not follow the directions only clean with water. I did spray it once with a marble polish: RH gave me the number of a furniture repairer and no, this is my problem. I live alone and when I say little use, I mean that. RH would not help with the expense to rectify this. I found a marble expert who was surprised that the finish was sprayed on. They told me how to remove the spray on finish. I will do this with acetone and then spray on a clear sealer. Whether or not you think RH should have been more helpful. I think that the product does not make sense as a dining room table.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Ordered a couch on December 18 with a confirmed delivery date of March 22nd. On January 17th received an email update that couch wouldn't arrive until May 1. When I finally got a rep to look into the Case, they presented us with several options. Refund and cancel. A paltry credit. Or a loaner couch while we wait. Well, the first loaner we chose was denied. The second loaner we chose, came from a specific list presented by the support rep! Also denied. The rep had no info why denied and could not help. No resolution. Absolute garbage and no resolution. - just going to wait?! One support rep told us that the fabric was delayed. Another support rep said the Chinese New Year production closure was the cause of the delay. I'm sure the Chinese New Year production closures have been in place for decades. It's absolutely RH's responsibility to incorporate that information into their delivery estimate. They did not. Total garbage.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We purchased a sectional couch from RH and the Belgian linen material shredded (not all over - just at the bottoms of 2/3 pieces) after less than eighteen months. They will not replace the slipcovers - even though they recognize that this material should have lasted longer. We now will have to pay approximately $2,500 to replace the slipcovers. Waiting on a price for a stronger material called Army Duck No. 10 - hopefully that will last. We prefer Lee couches over RH at this time - those have held up. VERY DISAPPOINTED - you just have to laugh. WOW.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I placed an order for a sectional sofa and bed (over $10,000). Irene ** the ** at the Marin store assured me they would be delivered late January. Lo and behold the bed is delayed for several months. Irene doesn't answer calls or texts. She said on the first delay that I should purchase a temporary frame. And you can't cancel your order. ** these people. And to top it off, no one told me of the delays. I only learned by asking when calling about other delays.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased the French Casement Sideboard from Restoration Hardware a few years back. The piece is lovely and looks great in our dining room. The problem is the locks have never worked properly. Every time I go in to get something it takes me 5 minutes to get the doors open. I have to push down on one side to get the locks to align up properly to get the door open. Then sometimes the key gets stuck in the lock and I'm trying to just get the key out and start again!! So frustrating!!! I would leave the doors unlocked, however, the doors fall open if I do. Had I known this would continue to be a problem when I purchased, I would have returned or exchanged. The problem is the piece is so big, I'm not sure they would have taken it back.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

After several back-and-forth emails with RH customer service, I was told that although the Atelier Task Floor Lamp came with a parts lists that identified the separate part in question, RH will not work with the vendor to procure a replacement part. They said that contractual obligations with the vendor precluded they're providing me with a direct contact with the vendor (in lieu of their refusal to help). My $400+ lamp from RH is worthless. Totally unacceptable customer service. I suggest that management at RH read Tom Peter's "In Search of Excellence." They need it!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Ben Solemani rug MIYA RUG - CHOCOLATE: I thought RH would have my back on this like Sears had my back on their Craftsman tools. I usually never have a problem with RH until I found myself stuck with a poorly manufactured rug. I paid nearly $4,000.00 for this rug but we anticipated having it for many many years since it is wool and usually in rugs you get better rugs when you pay more. Not the case this time. We are now dreading it. I bought the rug through a designer that helped us pick some things and arrange the house. I have a feeling that I paid full price for the rug but the designer paid something different. I take that this is normally the case.

Problem is I have not receipt from RH. My rug is shedding to the point when vacuumed the entire canister is filled with the rug. I called a rug expert and they said my rug was not made properly. I asked customer service for an even-exchange and they cannot help me without a receipt from RH. I offered to pay for shipping or pick it up and still no go. Also the rug is on FINAL SALE and they still will not even exchange. Very unreasonable. I am going to never shop here again. My house is full of RH. I am very disappointed that they let me down on this one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could I would give the company 0 stars. Recently I purchased almost an entire house of furniture and unfortunately I did not read the RH reviews beforehand. My experience has been exactly like all the others, damaged pieces and extremely poor quality. Over less than a year the wood pieces have been cracking and the fabric is shedding. My 10k sofa, which we barely sit on, looks 10 years old. Many pieces were delivered broken and I even had a wall mirror delivered that had no means by which to hang it.

I can’t believe that furniture with these prices are so poorly constructed. I have come to the conclusion that their marketing department is brilliant, it’s the old smoke and mirrors. They must spend a fortune on their catalogs to make the rooms “look” so beautiful. Don’t be fooled like I was by how beautiful these rooms appear in the catalogs nor the gallery. THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU ARE GETTING! Also DO NOT USE THEIR DESIGNERS. They are never around and their designs won’t blow you away, anyone with a good eye for style can do better. They try to work into your design pieces what that they are no longer going to be selling. You can probably get a college design major to do a better job.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Can’t believe I got suckered into buying this 6k cloud set. Yes it is comfy but it sheds every single day. Salesperson promised this and that about it. All that suckered me into purchasing it. Now that I see the quality of the way it’s built and made I regret it so much spending 6k on this set. This sofa will leave bits and feather all over your floors after sitting or lounging on it. Strictly horrible and overpriced. Never again I will spend my money at RH. Just way overpriced furniture.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a bedroom set from Restoration hardware for more than 4,000$. The bed that was delivered with a broken footboard. They promised a free replacement. One month later they delivered the wrong model. They took it back and promised to send the new one within 2 weeks. Now they refuse to send the new footboard unless I pay 604 $. Emailed the CEO. No answer. Highway robbery. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We love RH products and recently purchased over 15 pieces to decorate our pool area. We bought their custom covers to protect our investment. Each cover was tailored to cover the piece from top to bottom - except for the custom daybed cover! For some reason it is "customized" to cover only the cushions and not the furniture itself. None of the other covers were made this way. See picture with other RH product covers in foreground and background. Unfortunately, the Customer Service agent tried to "explain" the logic behind this illogical design. It was almost comical. Bottom line: they don't plan to do anything about it. So Beware! I will be exploring other companies who DO make custom covers to fit. And I guess I'll just have to eat my $136 expense. Not happy.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

The down comforter I bought from RH has been used maybe 150 times. The feathers seep out and fill the bedroom. RH would not consider taking this back and replacing it. I would look elsewhere as poor quality allied to no accountability to make things right by the consumer add up to a very poor experience. I have bought many many items from RH over the years but I would be very wary of buying anything where quality of manufacturing could be an issue.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We have been having issues with our bill for the last 11 months! They messed up the bill and refuse to give our money back for a refund as if it has never happened. Horrible experience! We spent over $60,000 Canadian dollars! Waste of money...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Very happy with the quality of everything that I have purchased from RH. Currently remodeling my house with vanities, lighting, mirrors, chandeliers, stools, dining table, and more from RH. Very friendly customer service and no issues with deliveries, other than a crystal finial that arrived broken and is currently in backorder.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Back in May, I received a source book from RHModern and in it I found a sofa I loved. It was vintage in style but looked modern with the fabric options and the walnut wood trim (per the sourcebook’s description and the website). Before I ordered it, I did all my research. I researched the different fabric types and the durability. I took the photo of the image and laid them next to other pieces of future in my house to see if the wood would match. Turns out it would, walnut would match very nicely in my home and mohair velvet in charcoal with go great with the back splash of my kitchen in the great room.

I called about the sofa to see if they had a model on the floor. They did not, but I spoke with a man who said he was at the source book photo shoot and the sofa looked great. I went into the store gallery with my daughter and we worked with a wonderful young lady who help us look at the fabric options and the colors. We laid the color swatches in natural light as well as just regular store lights. I wasn't sure so I took two fabric swatches home and sat with them and laid them in different lighting around my house as the fabric was the only thing I could choose for this particular pieces, besides what side I wanted the chaise lounge on (right or left). This is important because the wood was suppose to be walnut in color, so no need for me to ask about different wood color options, right?

After making a final decision, I went back to the store and made my order on June 12 and returned the swatches and purchased one more swatch of the color I would get on the sofa for my family to see. Then I went home. I was told that I would be contacted between July 10th -17th. By July 18th, I still had no word and received no call or email about the delivery. So I finally emailed and was told that the woman I was working with didn't work there anymore. Ok, fine, that happens a lot in retail, but you would think someone would have contacted me about the furniture order.

While on the phone with this new person (July 18th) who seem cavalier about the whole thing, she informed me that the item was on back order. I stated, "Well shouldn't someone have told me that." She replied with, "Well an email should have been sent out to you." So at this point I'm looking for emails from RH modern in my in my inbox. I proceed to tell the woman on the phone, that I did not receive an email. She stated that one should have gone out, and I said it hasn't and she said she would look into it.

On July 27 I finally received an email saying my order was delayed and that my new contact date to schedule delivery would be on or before Aug 13th. So almost month later than expected. So I wait. Finally I get contacted on Aug 11th saying that they would like to schedule delivery for Wednesday Aug 16th. Aug 16th arrives and we, my family, are very excited to finally have this new sofa. Once they unwrapped it and finished putting it in the right spot, I asked if I were to sign anything. They give me just a tablet and said sign with your figure. No one asked me to see if all was ok. Is this what you were expecting, are the colors right. All they said was to sign and on the tablet there were no words to be read, just a white space and a line. So I signed it (maybe that was my mistake) not sure.

So they leave and I'm looking at it now that it's in place and something is off. I can't quite place it. Why doesn't it match? What happened? Then I realize that the wood trim is black no walnut in color. At this point, I'm getting upset. How did this happen? Did I miss something in my ordering process? Did I over look such an important detail as black trim? So I go onto the website and look at the source book. Both the website and source book say walnut color trim. So why was mine black. Also when you just look with the naked at eye at the source book and website the trim is clearly brown in hue, not black.

I called the store that day and gave my complaint and grievance to a woman. She said, sorry about that, and that she would contact the vendor to see if that was the correct color. So I waited. Time passed and in this case if felt like forever. So I emailed her with photos of the black trim and with screen shots of their website in which is clearly states walnut trim finish.

She finally contacts me via email around 6:30 pm and states that her leader saw the prototype in person and that the finish she saw was a dark black walnut. And that she would be reaching out the vendor of this piece to confirm that this is the correct finish of the walnut or if the website needs to be updated. The latter statement to me says: that if the black finish I got was correct "walnut" color then their website was wrong and they should update, but also it's on them (RH and Vendor) for misrepresentation and they should pay the cost to fix or give full refund, not the half refund they give on custom orders.

She also went on to say that she would get in touch with me to see about what solutions they have for the warm brown walnut finish I was expecting and looking for. As of now, I haven't her back and it's now Friday Aug 18th. I did call yesterday and asked to speak with a manager who said he was aware of the situation and would have this woman call me back. I've had this sofa for 2 nights and 3 days now. We aren't sitting on it because if for some reason it needs to be return, we want to return it in the same condition in which I received it. I've even blocked off my living room, just to be on the safe side. So far my experience isn't going well, but we will see how they plan to remedy this problem. Especially since it was a $14,000+ purchase.

A little about me for character sake, if that helps. I'm a mom of 3 kids ages 12-16. Been married for 16 yrs to the same wonderful man. In our 3rd owned home together, why I wanted to splurge on a nice sofa. Volunteered since I was 10 yrs of age in various roles, was a girl scouts. Work in a church which I did not apply for, they offered the job to me or should I say, they said to me one day "We are going to start paying you" and ever since my work load has increased because I care about what I do.

This isn't my first time buying custom furniture though it is my first time having such an experience. Which is why I'm writing this review. I usually don't write reviews, but this experience has me typing away. All this to say, this will be my final purchase with RHModern and its affiliates. I would not recommend them to anyone, clearly more expensive doesn't mean better. On a plus note: the sofa itself is very beautiful and looks like a piece of art but with the trim in black does not fit the rest of my decor. I am sad.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I received a 9x12 very expensive woven Zeta rug from RH. After a week, I noticed flies everywhere near the rug. I pulled up the corners and noticed rice size black larvae and dead flies between the rug and pad. I am horrified. I killed over a hundred flies in my house and there are more about to hatch. RH refunded my rug and delivery, but I still can't believe the quality of this $2,000 rug. I'm still sick about putting my family's health at risk with this rug obviously from India or China. I just want to warn others about this issue. Don't take the risk of buying from RH.

Original review: July 27, 2017

While I appreciate the quality and design of the furniture, the shipping and delivery experience has been an absolute disaster. Wrong items shipped, damaged items and "losing" a 230 pound 9' long media console during shipping. I have no confidence that RH can deliver a product they sell.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I purchased my marble table from RH because that time it looked like the best option. The day I got my delivery workers hit my door with it making the crack on it. Moment they put it on the floor they made huge scratches. I refused to accept the table. After two weeks of waiting a new table was delivered to me and guess what it was even in worst condition than the first one. It looked like someone made cracks and scratches on it and store just smoothly restore it. Table looked horrible. I did send it back again. I don't know what to expect next.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I just received nearly $10,000 of brand new Restoration Hardware bedroom furniture (2 night stands and a dresser) with the Shagreen finish. There is a highly toxic smell coming from the drawers and the furniture in general. It has been over a week and it won't go away and is making both my husband and I dizzy and nauseous. The last bedroom furniture I purchased from them 5-6 years ago was beautifully lined with cedar and well made. I don't know where the furniture is being made now or how something so toxic could be imported to the US but, I will not order from them again. This is horrible!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I worked at RH in Westport from before it actually opened its doors with Richard Gordon at the helm through to Gary Friedman's destruction of true customer service and beyond for about 12 years. (I had a very low 4-digit employee #!) During that time - before 9/11 - my husband and I purchased the Blaine Bedroom Set with a king bed, 2 side tables and the 11-drawer bureau! At that time the policy was that you could return ANY PURCHASE at ANY TIME without even having a receipt, and you would receive the last price it sold for in cash, even if we no longer sold it! It was especially difficult to research items that were years old to find the UPC code to give the reimbursement, but no matter what, we ultimately were successful! The philosophy was "The Customer Is ALWAYS Right!" And we were always pleasant and persistent!

Now I have had reason to call the store in Westport to try to get some replacement bureau handles that were lost in a move and some sort of help regarding a cracking bedside table top. I provided my name, employee #, and name of the furniture set! The employee said that they didn't have it in their UPC reference book so it couldn't be replaced. Couldn't I just buy some new handles. Well. They are such an oddball size no one makes it! Not even RH.

I asked to speak to his manager to give him a break. She didn't "remember " them ever carrying Blaine furniture and she couldn't find anything under my # except a RETURN of the Blaine Headboard because it was broken. Aha! The Blaine did in fact exist!!! Then she said she didn't have any other things with the UPC #'s, and couldn't help any further since the table couldn't be replaced or new hardware from the manufacturer! And they didn't have the records which they ALWAYS kept in employee purchases! We are not finished yet!

Restoration Hardware expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Restoration Hardware prides itself on being at the cutting edge of trends and technology in the furniture industry. The company mainly caters to luxury buyers offering a curated collection of historical reproductions and updated classics.

• Complementary decor and accessories: Restoration Hardware offers a large selection of home accessories to match the styles and colors of its furnishings. Custom window treatments or matching rugs can help finish a room.

• Customize hardware: In addition to a wide variety of furniture options, Restoration Hardware also lets you choose accents like drawer handles, door-knockers and hinge designs.

• Source Book app: Do you love to leaf through pages of interior designs looking for inspiration? The Source Book mobile app lets you see what Restoration Hardware has to offer without having to lug around a heavy catalog.

• Green: Restoration Hardware is working to do its part for the environment by cutting back on how often the Source Book is printed and using 100 percent forest-certified paper.

• Trade sales: Restoration Hardware offers a 20 percent discount for all trade orders, except those made online.

• Best for: Luxury buyers, interior designers and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs