Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Restoration Hardware

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
    Last updated: March 14, 2018

337 Restoration Hardware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: March 14, 2018

Over the past year, we did a complete renovation of our home and purchased new furniture. We chose a couch, master bath hardware, master bed, and living room rug, all from Restoration Hardware. There are problems with all... and the service. We initially told them what date they could deliver the master bed after, since we were still under construction and did not want it in the basement. We let them know if they needed to deliver prior to that date, we would give them the address to the air conditioned storage unit where they delivered our couch. They delivered the bed prior to the date, and let a construction worker sign for it, all the while we never received the phone call it was being delivered.

We complained and demanded they pick it up because it was likely to be damaged. They agreed. They decided to pick it up and deliver a new one all at the same time, when the air conditioning was set up and the house ready. When the time came, they did pick it up but brought TWO beds at that time. It took us months to negotiate them picking up the second bed which was brought by mistake. Then when we assembled everything, the bolt holes didn’t match up. It took us hours to assemble a king size bed that had 4 pieces, and we had to leave a couple bolts not tightened as they did not line up properly. The master shower was sent with the wrong rough in piece.

The plumber had to call and get another delivered, but by that time, the shower had been tiled and the drywall had to be busted out and redone from behind the wall. The shower head had so little pressure, it dribbled out and we had to remove the flow restrictor just to get a decent pressure. The couch...after 7 months, it looks wrinkly and worn like we’ve had it for 10 years. The bottom cushion never was taught with the fabric like the picture shows and the sample in the showroom. When we called about it, they said it was because we had it in storage. Now- keep in mind, we had it in air conditioned storage completely wrapped up in the original packaging. They told us to steam it and it would tighten up.

That did not work. The’s awful. Probably the WORST purchase EVER made. It is a basketweave rope wool rug. My designer picked it out. When it was delivered and set up, I requested the paperwork on it for care and maintenance as I did not order it. The delivery guys had no paperwork whatsoever. My cleaning lady vacuumed it and it immediately started falling apart. I called the service manager and explained the issue. She said it was because we vacuumed it with the beater bar.

I explained that I requested care info at delivery and they had none. She agreed to replace the rug and advised me on the care, vacuum suction only. We received the replacement the day before Thanksgiving, and by Christmas it looked exactly the same as the first rug regardless of following the care instructions. It’s the worst rug I’ve ever seen. It looks “fuzzy”, leaves tufts of fluff all over the house, and is falling apart. So much for paying $4000 on a stupid rug. I have to throw it away and it’s not even a year old. Overall, I am unhappy with EVERY purchase we made from Restoration Hardware and will not be shopping there again.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Long story short: we spend $5300 on a cloud track sofa, it’s incredibly uncomfortable, we try to remedy that so we get what we pay for. We receive a big fat ‘get over it’ from RH. Here is my reply to tonight's denied repair request on our cloud track sofa: "Well this is beyond disappointing. This sofa is incredibly uncomfortable, we relate it to a ‘slip n slide’, when you sit in it you have to brace yourself so you don’t slide off. Our sofa does not sit even remotely like your floor model did in your store. I guess it’s a bait & switch?!! We will never buy anything from RH (Restoration Hardware) ever again and will be happy to share with anyone how shoddy your company truly is. I just wish I had listened to the reviews before me." Their merchandise looks and feels great in the store, another story in follow up and customer service once you’ve signed the dotted line. La-Z-Boy here we come!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 10, 2018

I recently spent several thousands of dollars on a sofa. I ordered it in beginning of December. It’s now March 9 & I was scheduled for delivery 3 days ago. The delivery company was due to arrive between 8-11am. I received a call (after taking day off) at 10:45 telling me due to a storm the day before they couldn’t deliver. I have contacted RH over 10 times, all I am told is “I’m sorry” & “I understand”. It’s now 3 days later, I have no sofa, I rescheduled all my clients, sat home for 3 hours for nothing, sold all of my living room furniture & was billed (& paid for) on my credit card for something I still do not have.

It’s now Friday & I won’t hear anything until hopefully Monday! (Almost a week after it was scheduled to be here!) This is the worst customer service I have ever come across & the price for the product is astronomical! If the customer service was as high as the prices, they might be ok. Because of this, I will NEVER order another item from them ever again!!! I’m beyond mad. I tried tracking my item & it says delivered. When I called RH, they said that’s when it was delivered to delivery company. I tried calling delivery company, nobody answers, mailbox is full.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Restoration Hardware gives the illusion of high quality to get your money. After that you're on your own. I first ordered a set of the Belgian Linen sheets about 4 years ago and after a year they'd developed holes in the middle of the fitted sheet. I was sent a replacement set when I contacted customer service and I assumed it was a fluke and not indicative of the general quality of Restoration Hardware linens. That said, now, less than 6 months after the purchase of a second pair of these sheets I'm having the same issues as before. I make sure to delicately wash and air dry these sheets every time so I'm certain it isn't the care. But even still I would hope a set of sheets could last more than 6 months. Don't waste your money on any products from them! I just emailed customer service about this last set and all I got was a $50 credit and I get to keep my crappy sheets. Yay thanks, RH.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

6 months ago I bought this Aero table. This is a cautionary tale. The Marble was matte. Apparently its matte look was sprayed on. My Oval Marble Top table has been barely used. Parts are now shiny which lets me see that the coating is coming off revealing the shiny marble. I called and was told that perhaps I did not follow the directions only clean with water. I did spray it once with a marble polish: RH gave me the number of a furniture repairer and no, this is my problem. I live alone and when I say little use, I mean that. RH would not help with the expense to rectify this. I found a marble expert who was surprised that the finish was sprayed on. They told me how to remove the spray on finish. I will do this with acetone and then spray on a clear sealer. Whether or not you think RH should have been more helpful. I think that the product does not make sense as a dining room table.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Ordered a couch on December 18 with a confirmed delivery date of March 22nd. On January 17th received an email update that couch wouldn't arrive until May 1. When I finally got a rep to look into the Case, they presented us with several options. Refund and cancel. A paltry credit. Or a loaner couch while we wait. Well, the first loaner we chose was denied. The second loaner we chose, came from a specific list presented by the support rep! Also denied. The rep had no info why denied and could not help. No resolution. Absolute garbage and no resolution. - just going to wait?! One support rep told us that the fabric was delayed. Another support rep said the Chinese New Year production closure was the cause of the delay. I'm sure the Chinese New Year production closures have been in place for decades. It's absolutely RH's responsibility to incorporate that information into their delivery estimate. They did not. Total garbage.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

We purchased a sectional couch from RH and the Belgian linen material shredded (not all over - just at the bottoms of 2/3 pieces) after less than eighteen months. They will not replace the slipcovers - even though they recognize that this material should have lasted longer. We now will have to pay approximately $2,500 to replace the slipcovers. Waiting on a price for a stronger material called Army Duck No. 10 - hopefully that will last. We prefer Lee couches over RH at this time - those have held up. VERY DISAPPOINTED - you just have to laugh. WOW.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I placed an order for a sectional sofa and bed (over $10,000). Irene ** the ** at the Marin store assured me they would be delivered late January. Lo and behold the bed is delayed for several months. Irene doesn't answer calls or texts. She said on the first delay that I should purchase a temporary frame. And you can't cancel your order. ** these people. And to top it off, no one told me of the delays. I only learned by asking when calling about other delays.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased the French Casement Sideboard from Restoration Hardware a few years back. The piece is lovely and looks great in our dining room. The problem is the locks have never worked properly. Every time I go in to get something it takes me 5 minutes to get the doors open. I have to push down on one side to get the locks to align up properly to get the door open. Then sometimes the key gets stuck in the lock and I'm trying to just get the key out and start again!! So frustrating!!! I would leave the doors unlocked, however, the doors fall open if I do. Had I known this would continue to be a problem when I purchased, I would have returned or exchanged. The problem is the piece is so big, I'm not sure they would have taken it back.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

After several back-and-forth emails with RH customer service, I was told that although the Atelier Task Floor Lamp came with a parts lists that identified the separate part in question, RH will not work with the vendor to procure a replacement part. They said that contractual obligations with the vendor precluded they're providing me with a direct contact with the vendor (in lieu of their refusal to help). My $400+ lamp from RH is worthless. Totally unacceptable customer service. I suggest that management at RH read Tom Peter's "In Search of Excellence." They need it!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Ben Solemani rug MIYA RUG - CHOCOLATE: I thought RH would have my back on this like Sears had my back on their Craftsman tools. I usually never have a problem with RH until I found myself stuck with a poorly manufactured rug. I paid nearly $4,000.00 for this rug but we anticipated having it for many many years since it is wool and usually in rugs you get better rugs when you pay more. Not the case this time. We are now dreading it. I bought the rug through a designer that helped us pick some things and arrange the house. I have a feeling that I paid full price for the rug but the designer paid something different. I take that this is normally the case.

Problem is I have not receipt from RH. My rug is shedding to the point when vacuumed the entire canister is filled with the rug. I called a rug expert and they said my rug was not made properly. I asked customer service for an even-exchange and they cannot help me without a receipt from RH. I offered to pay for shipping or pick it up and still no go. Also the rug is on FINAL SALE and they still will not even exchange. Very unreasonable. I am going to never shop here again. My house is full of RH. I am very disappointed that they let me down on this one.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could I would give the company 0 stars. Recently I purchased almost an entire house of furniture and unfortunately I did not read the RH reviews beforehand. My experience has been exactly like all the others, damaged pieces and extremely poor quality. Over less than a year the wood pieces have been cracking and the fabric is shedding. My 10k sofa, which we barely sit on, looks 10 years old. Many pieces were delivered broken and I even had a wall mirror delivered that had no means by which to hang it.

I can’t believe that furniture with these prices are so poorly constructed. I have come to the conclusion that their marketing department is brilliant, it’s the old smoke and mirrors. They must spend a fortune on their catalogs to make the rooms “look” so beautiful. Don’t be fooled like I was by how beautiful these rooms appear in the catalogs nor the gallery. THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU ARE GETTING! Also DO NOT USE THEIR DESIGNERS. They are never around and their designs won’t blow you away, anyone with a good eye for style can do better. They try to work into your design pieces what that they are no longer going to be selling. You can probably get a college design major to do a better job.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Can’t believe I got suckered into buying this 6k cloud set. Yes it is comfy but it sheds every single day. Salesperson promised this and that about it. All that suckered me into purchasing it. Now that I see the quality of the way it’s built and made I regret it so much spending 6k on this set. This sofa will leave bits and feather all over your floors after sitting or lounging on it. Strictly horrible and overpriced. Never again I will spend my money at RH. Just way overpriced furniture.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought a bedroom set from Restoration hardware for more than 4,000$. The bed that was delivered with a broken footboard. They promised a free replacement. One month later they delivered the wrong model. They took it back and promised to send the new one within 2 weeks. Now they refuse to send the new footboard unless I pay 604 $. Emailed the CEO. No answer. Highway robbery. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We love RH products and recently purchased over 15 pieces to decorate our pool area. We bought their custom covers to protect our investment. Each cover was tailored to cover the piece from top to bottom - except for the custom daybed cover! For some reason it is "customized" to cover only the cushions and not the furniture itself. None of the other covers were made this way. See picture with other RH product covers in foreground and background. Unfortunately, the Customer Service agent tried to "explain" the logic behind this illogical design. It was almost comical. Bottom line: they don't plan to do anything about it. So Beware! I will be exploring other companies who DO make custom covers to fit. And I guess I'll just have to eat my $136 expense. Not happy.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

The down comforter I bought from RH has been used maybe 150 times. The feathers seep out and fill the bedroom. RH would not consider taking this back and replacing it. I would look elsewhere as poor quality allied to no accountability to make things right by the consumer add up to a very poor experience. I have bought many many items from RH over the years but I would be very wary of buying anything where quality of manufacturing could be an issue.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We have been having issues with our bill for the last 11 months! They messed up the bill and refuse to give our money back for a refund as if it has never happened. Horrible experience! We spent over $60,000 Canadian dollars! Waste of money...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Very happy with the quality of everything that I have purchased from RH. Currently remodeling my house with vanities, lighting, mirrors, chandeliers, stools, dining table, and more from RH. Very friendly customer service and no issues with deliveries, other than a crystal finial that arrived broken and is currently in backorder.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Back in May, I received a source book from RHModern and in it I found a sofa I loved. It was vintage in style but looked modern with the fabric options and the walnut wood trim (per the sourcebook’s description and the website). Before I ordered it, I did all my research. I researched the different fabric types and the durability. I took the photo of the image and laid them next to other pieces of future in my house to see if the wood would match. Turns out it would, walnut would match very nicely in my home and mohair velvet in charcoal with go great with the back splash of my kitchen in the great room.

I called about the sofa to see if they had a model on the floor. They did not, but I spoke with a man who said he was at the source book photo shoot and the sofa looked great. I went into the store gallery with my daughter and we worked with a wonderful young lady who help us look at the fabric options and the colors. We laid the color swatches in natural light as well as just regular store lights. I wasn't sure so I took two fabric swatches home and sat with them and laid them in different lighting around my house as the fabric was the only thing I could choose for this particular pieces, besides what side I wanted the chaise lounge on (right or left). This is important because the wood was suppose to be walnut in color, so no need for me to ask about different wood color options, right?

After making a final decision, I went back to the store and made my order on June 12 and returned the swatches and purchased one more swatch of the color I would get on the sofa for my family to see. Then I went home. I was told that I would be contacted between July 10th -17th. By July 18th, I still had no word and received no call or email about the delivery. So I finally emailed and was told that the woman I was working with didn't work there anymore. Ok, fine, that happens a lot in retail, but you would think someone would have contacted me about the furniture order.

While on the phone with this new person (July 18th) who seem cavalier about the whole thing, she informed me that the item was on back order. I stated, "Well shouldn't someone have told me that." She replied with, "Well an email should have been sent out to you." So at this point I'm looking for emails from RH modern in my in my inbox. I proceed to tell the woman on the phone, that I did not receive an email. She stated that one should have gone out, and I said it hasn't and she said she would look into it.

On July 27 I finally received an email saying my order was delayed and that my new contact date to schedule delivery would be on or before Aug 13th. So almost month later than expected. So I wait. Finally I get contacted on Aug 11th saying that they would like to schedule delivery for Wednesday Aug 16th. Aug 16th arrives and we, my family, are very excited to finally have this new sofa. Once they unwrapped it and finished putting it in the right spot, I asked if I were to sign anything. They give me just a tablet and said sign with your figure. No one asked me to see if all was ok. Is this what you were expecting, are the colors right. All they said was to sign and on the tablet there were no words to be read, just a white space and a line. So I signed it (maybe that was my mistake) not sure.

So they leave and I'm looking at it now that it's in place and something is off. I can't quite place it. Why doesn't it match? What happened? Then I realize that the wood trim is black no walnut in color. At this point, I'm getting upset. How did this happen? Did I miss something in my ordering process? Did I over look such an important detail as black trim? So I go onto the website and look at the source book. Both the website and source book say walnut color trim. So why was mine black. Also when you just look with the naked at eye at the source book and website the trim is clearly brown in hue, not black.

I called the store that day and gave my complaint and grievance to a woman. She said, sorry about that, and that she would contact the vendor to see if that was the correct color. So I waited. Time passed and in this case if felt like forever. So I emailed her with photos of the black trim and with screen shots of their website in which is clearly states walnut trim finish.

She finally contacts me via email around 6:30 pm and states that her leader saw the prototype in person and that the finish she saw was a dark black walnut. And that she would be reaching out the vendor of this piece to confirm that this is the correct finish of the walnut or if the website needs to be updated. The latter statement to me says: that if the black finish I got was correct "walnut" color then their website was wrong and they should update, but also it's on them (RH and Vendor) for misrepresentation and they should pay the cost to fix or give full refund, not the half refund they give on custom orders.

She also went on to say that she would get in touch with me to see about what solutions they have for the warm brown walnut finish I was expecting and looking for. As of now, I haven't her back and it's now Friday Aug 18th. I did call yesterday and asked to speak with a manager who said he was aware of the situation and would have this woman call me back. I've had this sofa for 2 nights and 3 days now. We aren't sitting on it because if for some reason it needs to be return, we want to return it in the same condition in which I received it. I've even blocked off my living room, just to be on the safe side. So far my experience isn't going well, but we will see how they plan to remedy this problem. Especially since it was a $14,000+ purchase.

A little about me for character sake, if that helps. I'm a mom of 3 kids ages 12-16. Been married for 16 yrs to the same wonderful man. In our 3rd owned home together, why I wanted to splurge on a nice sofa. Volunteered since I was 10 yrs of age in various roles, was a girl scouts. Work in a church which I did not apply for, they offered the job to me or should I say, they said to me one day "We are going to start paying you" and ever since my work load has increased because I care about what I do.

This isn't my first time buying custom furniture though it is my first time having such an experience. Which is why I'm writing this review. I usually don't write reviews, but this experience has me typing away. All this to say, this will be my final purchase with RHModern and its affiliates. I would not recommend them to anyone, clearly more expensive doesn't mean better. On a plus note: the sofa itself is very beautiful and looks like a piece of art but with the trim in black does not fit the rest of my decor. I am sad.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I received a 9x12 very expensive woven Zeta rug from RH. After a week, I noticed flies everywhere near the rug. I pulled up the corners and noticed rice size black larvae and dead flies between the rug and pad. I am horrified. I killed over a hundred flies in my house and there are more about to hatch. RH refunded my rug and delivery, but I still can't believe the quality of this $2,000 rug. I'm still sick about putting my family's health at risk with this rug obviously from India or China. I just want to warn others about this issue. Don't take the risk of buying from RH.

Original review: July 27, 2017

While I appreciate the quality and design of the furniture, the shipping and delivery experience has been an absolute disaster. Wrong items shipped, damaged items and "losing" a 230 pound 9' long media console during shipping. I have no confidence that RH can deliver a product they sell.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I purchased my marble table from RH because that time it looked like the best option. The day I got my delivery workers hit my door with it making the crack on it. Moment they put it on the floor they made huge scratches. I refused to accept the table. After two weeks of waiting a new table was delivered to me and guess what it was even in worst condition than the first one. It looked like someone made cracks and scratches on it and store just smoothly restore it. Table looked horrible. I did send it back again. I don't know what to expect next.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I just received nearly $10,000 of brand new Restoration Hardware bedroom furniture (2 night stands and a dresser) with the Shagreen finish. There is a highly toxic smell coming from the drawers and the furniture in general. It has been over a week and it won't go away and is making both my husband and I dizzy and nauseous. The last bedroom furniture I purchased from them 5-6 years ago was beautifully lined with cedar and well made. I don't know where the furniture is being made now or how something so toxic could be imported to the US but, I will not order from them again. This is horrible!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I worked at RH in Westport from before it actually opened its doors with Richard Gordon at the helm through to Gary Friedman's destruction of true customer service and beyond for about 12 years. (I had a very low 4-digit employee #!) During that time - before 9/11 - my husband and I purchased the Blaine Bedroom Set with a king bed, 2 side tables and the 11-drawer bureau! At that time the policy was that you could return ANY PURCHASE at ANY TIME without even having a receipt, and you would receive the last price it sold for in cash, even if we no longer sold it! It was especially difficult to research items that were years old to find the UPC code to give the reimbursement, but no matter what, we ultimately were successful! The philosophy was "The Customer Is ALWAYS Right!" And we were always pleasant and persistent!

Now I have had reason to call the store in Westport to try to get some replacement bureau handles that were lost in a move and some sort of help regarding a cracking bedside table top. I provided my name, employee #, and name of the furniture set! The employee said that they didn't have it in their UPC reference book so it couldn't be replaced. Couldn't I just buy some new handles. Well. They are such an oddball size no one makes it! Not even RH.

I asked to speak to his manager to give him a break. She didn't "remember " them ever carrying Blaine furniture and she couldn't find anything under my # except a RETURN of the Blaine Headboard because it was broken. Aha! The Blaine did in fact exist!!! Then she said she didn't have any other things with the UPC #'s, and couldn't help any further since the table couldn't be replaced or new hardware from the manufacturer! And they didn't have the records which they ALWAYS kept in employee purchases! We are not finished yet!

Original review: June 20, 2017

I have furnished three homes with Restoration Hardware. Each time I have experienced excellent service. I had an issue with a marble dining table and they were right on it and willing to replace the piece. I am very happy with the company. The furniture is beautiful and I love the new Modern pieces.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I would expect much more decent service for a company who is trying to differentiate on quality and whose price point is what it is! I paid $6k for a couch. Delivery vendor is awful. I called to try and schedule a delivery and the woman didn't know how to contact her colleague who I had sent the COI. She got frustrated and hung up on me. I emailed the vendor three times asking what my delivery slot was and got no response! Then when the delivery finally got scheduled I stayed home for my time slot and the couch never showed up! Call customer service only for them to say "Yeah that happened to a customer this morning - she still hasn't received hers". You would think that they would learn from that experience and tell other customers that day that they were experiencing issues. I'll never shop here again.

Original review: May 17, 2017

My experience with Restoration Hardware was my first and quite possibly my last. I ordered a media system from their final sale. I was billed before the item was scheduled to be delivered, which I thought was odd because even Rooms To Go waits until it is delivered. Anyways, the delivery company calls to schedule date and said to expect a call in a couple of days to schedule delivery window, woman was okay, not rude but not friendly either. Delivery company calls like she said, and schedules the time frame for delivery.

Day of delivery, I get a phone call, same woman that scheduled the date says: "Did they call you?" then laughs and says it was damaged. "Do you still want it? call this # and tell them what happened." Really?? I have to call and explain? I called RH and explain and tell them to reverse the charges including the membership fee. Of course, the woman on the other end tries to talk me out of it. Bottom line, at their prices they should have a reputable delivery company that can handle all deliveries with class!

Original review: May 15, 2017

I had an unforeseen issue with my $4300 couch. Not only did RH completely disregard my concerns, not respond or return my calls, but they also did not help me find a solution. I had my now damaged couch for less than 5 years and I think this business is bogus. I requested they have the staff do a site visit to assess the damage and RH refused. You will get better customer service at Bob's Furniture or Ashley Furniture and pay a fraction of the price. Just because you pay a lot for their furniture you are not paying for high quality customer service. I suggest you avoid RH as much as possible.

Original review: April 30, 2017

Before I begin with my own review, wanted to touch on "Allison from NY"'s review. It makes no sense. She says she received a throw as a gift and loved it so much that she bought 4 more. When she washed the one she received as a gift, it was basically ruined and, when calling RH, was asked for a receipt. She said, because it was a gift, she had no proof of purchase, so nothing could be done. Um, she said she bought FOUR MORE, so why not just give the proof of purchase from one of those 4, if they are exactly the same item??

ANYWHO, now for my own review... I think a good rule of thumb when shopping at RH is to stick with their smaller items (lighting and accessories, primarily). Never buy large case goods (tables, dressers, dining furniture, etc), as they look good, initially, but are made terribly. Certain popular websites (, for example) carry many of the very same pieces for a fraction of the price.

A great example is their "aviator chair" (which I own). RH sells this chair for between $2000 and $3000, while has the exact same chair for $559 (theirs is called the "accelerator chair"). Keep in mind, RH will charge an additional $200 for shipping ('s shipping is free). It is literally the same exact chair. A friend of mine ordered the version and we compared hers to mine. They have to be made by the same manufacturer, because every single thing, down to the rivets, is identical. It was after seeing this that I decided never to pay the insane prices for seating that RH charges. I mean, I can see a little more, but $1500-$2500 more, PLUS $200 for shipping?? NO THANKS.

RH is very hit or miss when it comes to their customer service. I ordered a light fixture and immediately realized I'd ordered the wrong finish. Within moments of placing the order, I contacted customer service and was told there was nothing that could be done, as the item had been "reserved". This was a Sunday evening, at about 11:00pm. I was so angry, I told them I would simply refuse the package and would not be reordering. The customer service person's response was, "Is there anything else I can help you out with today?" At which point I hung up. I called back a few minutes later and reached a different rep. I explained the situation to him and he profusely apologized, cancelled the wrong fixture and ordered the proper one for me. There seems to be no consistency from one rep to the next, as far as their policies go.

As far as the lighting goes... Pretty much my entire home has been outfitted with RH lighting. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but the quality and style is great, compared to what's available at large home improvement retailers. If you live near an RH Outlet, I would HIGHLY suggest a visit, as they have a lot of lighting that's been marked down and they offer an 40% off on most weekends. Just make sure to inspect them prior to leaving the store, as they are not returnable. I found a gorgeous Meridian chandelier (now discontinued), marked down from $2000 to $200! It now hangs over my bed, after a few years above my dining table. I will attach a pic.

RH does have wonderful Christmas decor, although I would suggest waiting until after Christmas to purchase. I just wish they would discount a bit deeper. It is nearly May and they still have quite a bit available, because they seem to reduce the price one time and that's pretty much it. The moral of this story is just steer clear of the large furniture pieces RH offers. Stick with lighting, accessories and SOME of the small, occasional furniture pieces and mirrors. Do this and you'll be fine.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I bought a complete dining room set and the entire ordeal was a disaster! The first sideboard doors did not close properly into the holes, therefore the doors shake and are unleveled. The second sideboard delivered was in worse condition so I kept the first one. I returned all the dining chairs because they were all pilled and dirty. (RH advertises the chairs are made of the finest Belgian linen.) Belgian linen does not pill. The first hutch came in a totally different color than the rest of the set so I returned that on.The second hutch had dripping stain all down the bottom of the front lower area of the door and base. The table had chipped wood along the sides. All their furniture is made in China. Please do your research before buying RH Restoration Hardware!

Restoration Hardware expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Restoration Hardware prides itself on being at the cutting edge of trends and technology in the furniture industry. The company mainly caters to luxury buyers offering a curated collection of historical reproductions and updated classics.

• Complementary decor and accessories: Restoration Hardware offers a large selection of home accessories to match the styles and colors of its furnishings. Custom window treatments or matching rugs can help finish a room.

• Customize hardware: In addition to a wide variety of furniture options, Restoration Hardware also lets you choose accents like drawer handles, door-knockers and hinge designs.

• Source Book app: Do you love to leaf through pages of interior designs looking for inspiration? The Source Book mobile app lets you see what Restoration Hardware has to offer without having to lug around a heavy catalog.

• Green: Restoration Hardware is working to do its part for the environment by cutting back on how often the Source Book is printed and using 100 percent forest-certified paper.

• Trade sales: Restoration Hardware offers a 20 percent discount for all trade orders, except those made online.

• Best for: Luxury buyers, interior designers and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Restoration Hardware Company Information

Corte Madera

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.