1.20/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

377 Restoration Hardware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

The company insists on sending us their 700 page catalogue with a mention in small font that they "promote responsible forest management," which is a significant misrepresentation. They have sent us this catalogue for years, wasting hundreds of pounds of paper, despite our requests to the contrary. This is a poor reflection on their business practices.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Restoration Hardware hires out to poor quality delivery services. The 'white glove' delivery service which I was FORCED to purchase for $499 for the delivery of my bed was absolutely awful. #1. They were supposed to call the night before to set up the delivery time and they never did. So I called Restoration Hardware at 9:00 pm at night to ask when my bed would be delivered and was told that the delivery company called me....to tell me that it would be delivered the next day between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm. I said that there was no call, no voice mail, no nothing and was told that I must be mistaken...

#2 instead of calling me 30 minutes beforehand, they called me an hour beforehand and said they were about to pull in the driveway. So they called at 9:30 am instead of 10:00. The delivery people unloaded the boxes, and tried to deliver, but couldn't fit the bed up the stairs and so packed up the bed and drove away. They didn't call and ask what I wanted them to do, they just left and I saw this on the camera so I called and asked where they were going. They said, "Oh it didn't fit so we are taking it back." I asked them to please turn around and go back to leave it and I would figure out how to get the bed placed in the house. Then I had the bed removed from packaging and installed after which point I noticed that the footboard was cracked. I called them to please come and take the cardboard away and they said they would and then never showed up....So I have about 150 pounds of packing material in my garage AND a broken bed.

Restoration Hardware's response "the delivery company followed proper procedure. The only thing they didn't do was pick up the cardboard and so we will credit you $150 for that (because I have to pay to have it removed) but the damage is your problem because once they drove away, it became your responsibility and now we can't tell if the party you had put it together broke the bed or not." I will NEVER order anything from this company again. Their service is terrible and their quality clearly isn't all that great. About $3000 later and very unhappy customer.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I purchased a outdoor fire pit for $3,081.25. It is now peeling and the fiberglass is crumbling. RH sent me to the manufacturer in China... No response. RH will not take any responsibility for their product. No assistance at all! There is no customer service at RH!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased six full sets of expensive linen sheets, including duvet covers, for my higher end Airbnb. Within one year of using them, and carefully caring for them, I had two incidents where there were large areas of discoloration on the pillowcases. I noticed this in both cases right after the guests checked out, and before washing them. After the first incident, I took the pillowcase to my dry cleaner and he confirmed that the areas were discolored, and not stained. He believes a product such as a face lotion or a hair product caused the discoloration of the fabric.

After the second incident, this time on three pillowcases, I contacted RH for help, and sent photos of the damaged pillowcases. After numerous follow-up emails on my end was told that I must have bleached the pillowcases and therefore they weren't going to help. Basically, the rep was accusing me of lying and closed the case. After receiving this email I contacted RH again and asked a new rep if it's possible that products such as lotions or hair products can pull the dye from the pillowcases, and she said that it was, but that RH doesn't consider this a defect. She actually suggested I charge my guest for the damage. Really? An innocent person that simply put his favorite product in his hair or on his face that day, and then went to sleep?

I have washed and cared for these sheets with the same gentle detergent, in a gentle cycle with cold water. I don't even have bleach in my home. These were very expensive sets of sheets and now have two incomplete sets. I would not recommend purchasing from Restoration because they do not stand behind their products, and there is nothing professional about their 'customer support'.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Please be aware that Restoration Hardware uses harmful chemicals in their overseas factories. Their upholstery and woodwork is not eco friendly. They don't use water based wood stains and finishes. I ordered a Maxwell leather sofa a few years ago and it has been off-gassing since I received it. Customer service refuses to list the ingredients in the foam and tell me more about how the sofa is made. They say it is proprietary but I really think they are just covering up a manufacturing process that they don't want to share with the public. If you have young children, I urge you not to use RH products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

Original review: April 28, 2019

Shockingly poor quality. I’ve ordered a few items over the years from RH. A side chair that sat in my living room in the corner, unused for the most part. One day my 100 lb son sat down on it and the leg snapped and he and the chair fell to the floor. According to RH, this isn’t a manufacturing defect. Ok. Another time recently I bought an entire set of RH luxury towels in French blue. The color immediately began to run and the fabric pulled. I emailed and was able to exchange them, assuming it was a defect with that batch because RH towels are often rated so highly (must be reviews for their initial feel which is admittedly heavy and absorbent).

The second batch quickly began to discolor and pull as well - so much so that they will be turned into rags within a year of purchase. RH refuses to admit any defects when I contacted them, and said I must be washing them incorrectly. I emailed photos of other towels I’ve washed the same way that have held up for years - no response from RH. Their goods are well marketed junk.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We did a outdoor balcony in Southern Ca and our interior designer recommended RH for the furniture. We received the delivery in December 2018. By the beginning of March we called RH to report that all the furniture was splitting, cracking and paint was chipping off. The furniture was supposed to be real which is usually very durable.

No customer service to speak of. Then we called our designer & he convinced them to come & inspect the issues which they finally did & their response was call Doctor Teak! I am appalled furious and extremely disappointed to say the least. Please let the consumer beware! Their catalog is drop dead gorgeous and that’s where the buck stops! Inferior furniture was no quality at all. I want them to come & pick up every single piece of junk that they supposedly manufactured. It’s probably from China at a company with no quality control. Please let everyone know that they are not what they appear to be. I will go to the TV stations as well as hire an attorney as we spend a lot of money and basically all the furniture is falling apart in three months.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We bought a $4,000 Russian reclaimed wood table from RH Toronto. Now, just 5 months later the table is starting to cave in. The table top looks like a hammock!!! The legs are pointing outwards with as much as a 1 cm difference from top to bottom. Talked to RH and the said that it is natural because it's old wood. Well I am a designer and I know enough to know that NEW wood behaves like this. Old high quality wood does not move to this extent. Makes me want to question if RH actually is using this Russian old oak that they claim to be using or is it new poor quality Chinese wood??? Just wondering?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Bought a baby crib $2200. When we tightened the bolt to secure the frame it popped the veneer on the other side exposing the pressed cardboard. I can’t believe they can charge 2200 for something made of pressed cardboard. Because we bought it at their outlet they refused to take it back or send me a replacement. I would not recommend purchasing furniture at Restoration because it is definitely not of good quality and they do not stand behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Where to begin. I purchased this item back on 1/21/19. It’s 1/21/19 and 3rd piece just as damaged as the first. Was told since it’s three tries maybe I would want something else instead. No one is being held accountable, the quality of work is just horrible and disappointing. We paid over $2000, the item looks like a kid painted and then refixed. Can never get anyone on the phone when you call and you have to wait until they are ready to call you back. It’s been a nightmare. If I had read these reviews prior there is no way in hell I would be purchasing from this cheap quality store.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My Channel Stitch Cotton Voile Coverlet & Shams Graphite King/Cal King Coverlet cost over $400 on huge New Year's White Sale. I washed it in lukewarm water and low dry and it shrank so much, it no longer fits a king bed. RH refuses to take it back. This product retails over $1000, regular price. What kind of poor quality bedding shrinks so much as to be unusable? What kind of store refuses to take it back? Now we know. Stay away from RH.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I ordered 2 Belgium linen roll arm sofas last part of 2018 and the quality of the line is horrible, it is pulled and has weak spots, more than a linen fabric should be. $3,000 apiece. My husband said they look like they should be in a dorm room. Needless to say the sofas are on their way to a charity. In to the reclaimed salvaged coffee table. Mine got a huge crack down the middle nothing that be fixed with the little stick repair kit. I was told this is normal for this type of wood. The split is literally 12 inches long and 1-3 inches wide in various places. So this is normal, I guess I can use it for a book holder. I am not allowed to shop at Restoration Hardware ever again. Do not recommend these products to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Ordered the Torano Marble table in brass, paid almost 5 thousand dollars for it. Got it - the legs were rusted (the marble table top weighs over 300 pounds and they put it on rusted legs - smart). Called the company - they sent out the replacement - replacement got here - it also had rusted legs. I refused the replacement and called the company who said they would investigate where the defect is coming from and it would take a week and a half. Week and a half goes by - nothing. I call and they tell me a few more days. 4 days later - nothing.

Meanwhile the 30 days window to return is closing. Called again and said I would like to return the table completely (I would rather take my 5K to a company who gives you an undamaged item) and was told that the link to set up pick up will be sent to me. Nothing. Called again and was told that it takes 35 days for them to schedule a delivery (way outside of the window for the return and probably a way for them to then justify partial refund). I asked to speak to the manager and when I threatened to involve my CC company to open a dispute then miraculously set up a pick for me right away. I am never purchasing from this company again. Way overpriced for stuff made in China, horrible quality and horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Returned a settee that fell apart, only to have it replaced by the same again in the wrong fabric. Sent that back, and AGAIN they sent a new one in the wrong fabric! We agreed they owed me a refund. Got it today for half the amount! If there is any conceivable way for this company to get it wrong, they'll find it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I wanted to order a smallish mirror (26"x48") and they insist on charging $200 delivery as a standard delivery charge. They said I could add more stuff to it. What? This is on the same weekend that Pottery Barn is offering free delivery. How do these guys stay in business?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Even if a purchase is made for a Christmas present, which typically is purchased a couple of weeks beforehand, the policy is only store credit. Almost all purchases will be past the lame 30 day policy. Horrible customer service inside the store. The manager was unhelpful, rude and condescending.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought 4 Remy chairs about 2 years ago. One of the chairs arrived with a chipped and rusted back, and RH replaced it immediately. However, 2 years hence, two chairs are broken. It's strange because the set was in a vacation home and not used daily. The legs on two chairs literally buckled recently, causing the sitters to fall on the floor! Neither guest was 'oversized', just regular folks... RH sent me a gift card to cover my initial purchase price, but I don't really want to buy anything else from RH. I am disappointed and, quite frankly, shocked at the poor quality of their products.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I spent $3,800+ on 2 stupid mirrors that were spec'd on a job that clearly are only worth about $1,000 tops. The day they were to be delivered came and went. I called and I got treated poorly. I had to wait 3 weeks to get them delivered. After calling them they told me that they had been shattered, ya right!!! It took 3 weeks to get the first set but now they can deliver to my office 3 days later on a Saturday. So now I have to sit at my office on Saturday on a 4 day holiday weekend. They said they left a voicemail, don't have one, they said they sent an email, didn't get one. I am beyond upset. A few years ago I ordered bar stools from this place and they were so cheap, I sent them back and they charged me a restocking fee and I had to pay to send the pieces of crap back to them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We ordered personalized Christmas Stocking from their online site which read “Delivered on or before 12/05”. On 12/06 we still had not received them. I called the company and was told they are “backed up” and the promise date wasn’t accurate because it’s not a normal situation. I was also told the stockings had not even been embroidered yet and they were “hopeful we would receive them next week”... 1 week before Christmas. I asked what was not normal about ordering Christmas decor on 11/27 and the worker was at a loss of words. You should not advertise a promise date if you cannot even come close to the promise date. Absolutely unprofessional. It should never fall on the customer that they cannot keep up with demand, and they should not make promises they can’t keep. Will never shop with them again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We ordered a dresser and bed. They have been promising delivery for months. They said that they were finally ready to make delivery, and charged our credit card. But SURPRISE - they are only delivering the dresser. They said they, "Couldn't fit the bed on the truck." This is possibly the least customer friendly furniture company. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews before spending $5.000 on window treatments and days of being angry and frustrated and wishing I could get my money back. They promise the moon and deliver zero. I was told my order would ship in 2-3 weeks, it is now shipping in hopefully 6 weeks. After you wait twice the time you were told they cannot guarantee the installer can come in a timely manner. They tell you all different stories depending on who you talk to. We had to drive over an hour to the store on 4 separate occasions to even get the order right. WALK AWAY from this place!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I just spent nearly $10,000 ordering furniture from these crooks... Their 'delivery company' left the Bed in several separate pieces) and Belgian Linen sofa outside with NO PACKAGING, BOXES, OR ANY PROTECTION WHATSOEVER! The sofa was completely stained and disgusting, legs were damaged, several pieces of the bed broken, drawers cracked~Everything literally RUINED!!! I called their "Customer Service" (I use that term VERY loosely) to explain everything and ask them what they were going to do about my VERY EXPENSIVE and completely ruined items, they asked me to send in pictures of everything which I immediately did that CLEARLY showed everything ruined beyond repair and when they finally got back to me three days later they said they were not going to do ANYTHING AT ALL, not replace, no refund, NOTHING!

They said because I didn't clearly SPECIFY that the items should be in boxes, packaged, etc. that they were not responsible for anything. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? In what world do you order nearly $10,000 of furniture ONLINE for delivery and you need to SPECIFY for them to have the furniture in a box, &/or wrapped &/or properly package the items and not just leave the bare pieces strewn about OUTSIDE??? Nearly $10,000 completely down the drain! These people are complete and total crooks~please trust me when I tell you to spend your hard earned money ELSEWHERE!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have contacted the customer service regarding a broken dining room chair that I had for about five years. They offered to fix a chair or return the chair. Both offers are so much more than I expected or anticipated given that the chair has been used for five years. The customer service rep got on the phone almost immediately after I called. I am beyond satisfied with the overall customer service experience.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Very satisfied with products and service (Denver). I have purchased the following from RH since 2017: Luke accent chair, Reclaimed R. oak dining table/8 chairs, Nicholas marble coffee table, 2 floor lamps, velvet pillows, sofa. The staff was extremely helpful in each purchase.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I did a ton of research online. Was about to purchase with "E.A." Competitor - coworker recommended I look at RH - I fell in love with a table and found what I thought the perfect chairs to accompany. When I say apathy... our associate couldn't have been more disinterested in the entire process. When tallied, our purchase was to be just over $7,000. maybe not enough to inspire interest from the hourly help? She told us about a couple of chair models they had in stock. Mind you - they carry a very small selection in Short Hills - not representative of the entire line.

I wasn't loving the chairs she had. I kept asking... don't you have something with a roll-back top? I think it's called French something??? Nooo. Eventually after about 1/2 hour of dissatisfaction with the chairs - one can feel the framework underneath the cushion. When we thought one model had a shorter seat span - no proffer of a tape measure or a thought she might share with us... Eventually she found the chairs I described - way at the bottom of their website. She stated "it's way down at the bottom because nobody buys these chairs". Are all of their clients sheep following the standard set by the merchandise only displayed in the store? What would be the purpose of customizing and the catalog then?

When I was just about reluctantly ready to purchase, my husband voiced that he thought we should just check "E.A." one more time to be sure. When confronted with the professionalism of our associate at that store, and their efforts to customize to our satisfaction - we bought on the spot. After reading these reviews... I am so appreciative that my husband wanted to go back to the other store. Can't wait to see our holidays on this new set! Thanks RH - for being the most apathetic sales force I can imagine - oh, and "no warranties!", but they "stand behind their products"... not so much from what I am reading on this site. Thanks to those who shared their experiences - very helpful!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I begin trying to buy several pieces of furniture from Restoration Hardware in 2017. My budget was approximately $30,000.00. I met with several salespeople who made a basic plan, and their proprietary Restoration Hardware laptop which Pilates furniture in rooms but is not to scale and so therefore when they print it out it’s meaningless. They did not follow up with me, never presented me with an estimate of costs and an assurance that the pieces would fit correctly. They did not put the pieces together with the sizes and pictures and prices. The salesperson who was half my age was very condescending, looking me over as I wasn’t RH material. You cannot walk into that store and just buy something. First you have to see a sales associate, then if a sales associate is not available you have to be on a waiting list of time or come back another day.

I was so aggravated I called the corporate offices and tell them my story. I asked specifically who would be the best salesperson in the Chicago store to help me. That person referred me to another person, who referred me to another person, who is supposed to give me the name and never got back to me. I walked away from the store in disgust.

Two months ago I called corporate offices back again and told them it was now a year later and that I wanted to find out who the person was to refer me to make an appointment and guess what? No one ever called me back. They print beautiful catalogs and have wonderful designers but they’re horrible to go through because they do not put the sizes on the pages where the furniture is and it’s not indexed in the back. Who can carry around 500 pounds of a lot when trying to buy furniture. I have nothing good to say about our RH, What a shame to have such nice goods and not be able to sell them to your customers. Corporate, are you listening now.

Original review: July 28, 2018

We purchased a custom made Italia taper arm fabric sofa from Restoration Hardware. It was almost $6000. Within a year, the seat upholstery was pilling and not lining up with the stuffing. When I called to complain, including photos, they claimed that was normal wear and tear. They offered to send someone with a pill shaver. When their customer service could not find a local person to do it, they offered to forward info. so that I could submit an invoice for reimbursement. This offer never arrived. One year?? Plus the sofa sits in a formal living room which we rarely use. I would never recommend Restoration Hardware again. The quality is shabby for the price.

Original review: July 11, 2018

One of the most terrible online order experiences ever. If you order online, allow 2 to 3 YEARS to get your purchase and take a ** before you call to chase your order. The customer service team are useless, disorganized, rude, and my experience was very, very frustrating. Lost count of number of times I called to track my order. Items arrive smashed into pieces, incomplete and customer service are just useless. One item was sent to me three times, totally smashed and broken, pieces missing and a mess every time. Don't waste your money.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Had my heart set on another vanity. Most everything is special order and a wait. I would have had to wait at least two months for a vanity and my bathroom job was getting underway. Had to settle on the St. James. I went for the antique white. The finish looks dirty like someone touched it with dirty fingers. It drives you crazy. I'm afraid people will think the vanity is actually dirty. Notice, no place for reviews on their products on the website. What? The vanities are very expensive. No bargains here. I am stuck now. I have a custom expensive quartz top on it but even if I would have complained in a month, there would have been nothing to exchange it for.

Original review: June 14, 2018

We are remodeling our kitchen and bathrooms. After shopping Restoration Hardware, we selected a pharmacy style medicine cabinet. After it arrived, it took some time for our contractor to install it. (Longer than 30 days.) This medicine cabinet- members price, on sale - cost $650 plus shipping. It is the most poorly made piece of junk I have ever seen. I would have been better off to buy something at Home Depot. Poor welds, absolutely pathetic paint job, the entire piece was not square, and it looked like something that should have cost 50 bucks and was second hand.

When I tried to return it I was informed that returns past 30 days was by gift card only despite the fact that I had used a credit card. Unfortunately, it was a RH credit card or I could have gotten my money back. Thinking that it was just a bad one, we ordered a second one - the second one was worse. All the welds have been made by a welder who has never received any training whatsoever. Paint doesn't cover the entire piece and is just a dusting even where it was painted- so in a humid environment like a bathroom it will be rusted in no time. These pieces look like no one cares. At all. At 650 a pop, one would think they would at least try.

This company is one of the last in existence that doesn't allow reviews on its website. That's because they would be out of business in days. This stuff is junk - and overpriced by about 10,000%. It's really unbelievable. Customer service is terrible- in fact, they must be contenders for the worst customer service experience in the world award. There's no help to be found there. Run away. Hammering furniture together from old pallets will give you a higher quality product.

Restoration Hardware expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Restoration Hardware prides itself on being at the cutting edge of trends and technology in the furniture industry. The company mainly caters to luxury buyers offering a curated collection of historical reproductions and updated classics.

• Selection: Living, diving, bed and bathroom, plus lighting, textiles, rugs, windows, hardware, décor, art, outdoor and holiday furnishing.

• Delivery: Flat shipping and delivery rates based on distance.

• Returns: Eligible (non-customized) items are eligible for returns and exchanges.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs