Restoration Hardware

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a faux fur throw as a gift. I loved it so much I purchased 4 more for myself and many as gifts. I washed the one that was gifted to me. As The tag indicates "gentle wash". After washing, the texture changed and it's now so hard it cannot be used. I called customer service and she immediately said "oh those should be dry cleaned". Well the tag says they can be washed. So that's the first problem.

She then said "let's exchange this for you"- she went through the inventory they had available and we selected the replacement color. She then requests a receipt or proof of purchase. Many problems with this request: Ummm this was a gift!!! The only way they were able to track the purchase was if it was purchased online versus in an actual store. If it was purchased in a store they offered zero assistance.

They ONLY sell their own brand name products and their products are NOT sold in any over outlet. So how is this not proof it was purchased at a restoration hardware?? So now I have to rid of an expensive throw because I can't prove it was purchased there. Which is baffling!!! Their customer service is awful. Will no longer purchase anything there knowing they do not stand behind their own products.

I have bought much furniture from RH over the past couple of years. The problem I am having is with their delivery company, FGO Logistics of Elmwood Park, NJ. They have a habit of not arriving during the specified time interval. One time they arrived at 7:30 AM on a Saturday, and today they were supposed to arrive between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. My neighbor told me that someone was ringing my bell at 8:00 AM, so, needless to say, I was not available to answer. I called the delivery service and was told that my delivery was delayed. When I called them at 3:00 PM they said they were done for the day, so my apartment is left in disarray without my furniture.

I placed an order for a bed on sale. It took several weeks for someone to call and say the bed made it to Michigan, for delivery. Then another week later, I received a call from RH telling me the bed has been damaged and there are no more of these beds left in the color that I wanted. Instead of saying, "we are very sorry for the inconvenience, we would be more than happy to deliver the white bed to you at no delivery charges or a discount for your inconvenience." There was nothing!

Really... Whatever happened to making the customer happy, so they will tell someone else the good news about how RH went out of their way to follow through on an order. Now, they lost a sale and they are getting a complaint to Consumer Affairs. Thanks for nothing. Oh, I guess you will refund the interest you made off of $1400.00 for 1 month. For that reason, I give you 1 star because I cannot give a zero. Maybe you should go visit L.L. Bean and take some lessons.

I loved the two solid crystal lamps I ordered from Restoration Hardware through their membership program. I got them at 25% discount and they looking stunning in my bedroom. I had absolutely no issues with ordering or receiving these lamps. I am quite surprised by the negative comments on this site. Great company and fabulous quality of products!

I ordered this chair and was quickly dissatisfied. The seat cushion depressed where I sat only 3 hours. The leather is so soft that it's bagging and wrinkling on the seat cushion in huge ugly wrinkles. The height is advertised at 27.5 inches and I only measure 21.5 inches. When I called customer service today I was told that I should have expected a depressed seat cushion because it's polyfiber, it's meant to cave in and the leather is supposed to gap and wrinkle. They would not consider an exchange or even store credit. They told me to call back in a year. What? I weigh 110 lb. What will this chair look like after my husband sits in it for a year? No longer an RH fan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

The worst online experience ever, wouldn't recommend to my enemies. We've bought a bed with a tent to our son, using 3 gift cards, where the nightmare started. Total of the purchase (with taxes) $1,389.94, paid with 3 gift cards of $500 each. Balance of the gift cards after purchase ZERO. This discussion is going on since October 2016... The COLE FRAMED HOUSE BED took 20 days to arrive which we accepted. Bed arrived damaged, the item is out of stock, we accepted a different one. New bed will arrive on 01/10/2017, around 80 days after the original order. The COLE CANVAS TENT took around 70 days to arrive. We also accepted this deadline, too long but... The Tent arrived finally, with a hole on the fabric. Next tent, should be shipped early March, 7-10 business days to delivery.

I'm writing this while I'm waiting for the customer service, once again, maybe the 4-5th time, check the balance of the gifts cards, new delivery of the damaged items, and the new problem with Hole on the tent. Nobody returns the calls that they guarantee "I will return the call with a solution..." I've paid $100 to be a member of the store, for special discounts and VIP treatment, where? Why pay for this piece of garbage? I've had more discussions with my wife because of this order than in our life. I'm really upset. Wasting a Saturday afternoon, to clear the ... of RH, for what? I'm sure the other items will arrive damaged, and I will come back here, while I wait for the customer service again. I'm still on the phone. Now the person concluded the call saying that my gift cards are invalid, and someone will call me in 5-7 business days, again, about the balance of the gift cards, but they will issue a new one with $51.35. The total is $110.06.

Bad service and product? My experience was exactly the opposite. Not only is it super obvious regarding the $100 fee when you sign up for the membership, it comes with endless interior designer help. Kim ** in the West Hollywood, CA store came to my place, did a CAD drawing, gave lots of great suggestions in terms of furniture mapping, and had unique ideas. Of course they are trying to sell you lots of RH stuff, but they do understand that you will likely just be buying some items from them. I got about 8 hours of design time with her over a few days which I found to be incredibly helpful. I have purchased 3 sofas from them, all of them reasonably priced for what I got (they were all tufted leather, roughly 8 1/2 ft sofas in the $2600 range). They came exactly as described.

I recently purchased the AXIS brass 60" chandelier. When I hung it, the wires didn't fall exactly in line, which concerned me since I liked the fixture but I know the full refund policy on it is only 7 days from shipping arrival date. I called up customer service and explained my concern, and they offered to extend the return period to 2 months to give the wires settling time from being crated up during shipping. If I wasn't happy at that time, I could return for full refund or get a replacement. So I have to say, no negative experiences for me, however, you do have to realize you are engaging with a higher end retailer, and the prices on items will reflect that. But I feel that the quality has been well worth the price.

My reason for writing this review is to let those of you out there who are feeling reticent about ordering from RH because of the negative reviews know...that we had a very positive experience for the entire process. We placed our order after business hours on Saturday, Dec. 31st and received our order this morning, Jan 5th at 7:30 am. Amazing! I received a call from RH on the 3rd at 11:37 am notifying me of the scheduled delivery for today, Jan 5th, and that the delivery service would call 10 min in advance, which they did. They brought all the parts up to the 2nd floor without any issues and assembled the bed with total ease and grace.

These guys were the ultimate professionals. They were so polite and personable. I have only praise for RH for their standards because this was an unparalleled experience. I've had plenty of bad experiences with deliveries so I know ** happens, but not this time! The bed is amazing. It is flawless and beautiful and compliments our bedroom so beautifully. Just to note...we ordered our mattress before our bed and the bed came first! Just a note: if you join as a member you will save more than the membership fee, so it is well worth it. I read a negative review about this and I just don't get it...we saved a lot and since I'll be making some more purchases we'll be saving more! We are very happy. Thank you RH!

I have made multiple Purchases from RH - all of my dining and living room furniture is from RH (sofas, chairs, dining room chairs, lighting, tables, small tables, mirrors). All of my bedding, curtains, and many decorations come from all of RH lines (regular, modern, and teen). I am more than satisfied with RH. My experience with them have been incredible, online, store, and outlets. I haven't had any issues with the quality whatsoever. I once had an issue with a shipment because UPS lost my package, RH not only overnighted a new package but I got a gift card for future purchases. All honestly, I love this store and I don't understand all the issues reported here. RH deserves a lot more credit than just 2 1/5 stars. RH is 5 stars in my book.

This past Nov, we decided to finally splurge on a few pieces we've been eyeing for a few years now. We purchased the 9 ft sofa, 2 chair and a half, the dutch reclaimed wood coffee table, 2 antler sconces and 2 floor lamps, and faux fur throws & pillows. The quality seems great, so far. The delivery scheduling was easy and the delivery guys were great. All our furniture was delivered 2 weeks earlier than expected. Loved that! We also became members, which saved us 25% on top of sale items too. Can't wait to order a few more pieces while we have the membership. Absolutely will shop here again and definitely recommend it.

I was drawn to Restoration Hardware by the great line they had on soft goods, especially the cashmere robes. Not the best price, but I could get it monogrammed for my wife and have it for Christmas!! I tried to track my order online but was denied access to their site. I called four days before Christmas and was informed that the robe was hung up in transit between purchase and monogramming and that it was now in monogramming. I asked when would I receive the robe. I was advised by 12/29. I was very displeased, but was nice about it. Today is 12/30. I called and asked where was the robe. It was to be shipped today and I should have it next week. Not happy. I said they should do something about it. I was advised they would take the charge for monogramming off. I told them they must need the $8.00 more than I did and to keep it. Oh, reader you can rest assured I will never trust another important gift to Restoration Hardware.

Purchased a $4,000.00 leather sofa. When delivered had mismatched legs, scuffs to leather, two large indentations in the leather on back of sofa, and what looks like oil spots on cushion. When I contacted their customer service was told that they could not replace since sofa had been discontinued (I was never told of the discontinuance at the time of purchase). Additionally, rather than replacing the mismatched legs they offered to sell me new ones. This is really outrageous from a store that claims to be high end and claims that sofas such as mine are custom made on basis of order. I urge that everyone beware! I would have been better off spending $500 at Big Lots for a sofa!

This was the letter I wrote them and the only response I received was, "We are sorry!!" Ugh. "Hey, I just have to say I ordered a great deal of bedding and a frame with you guys and the shipping of the products have been a nightmare from missing sheets, to now I have to wait an extra two weeks for my bed frame to be delivered, when already it's late and I took a day off from work to be home to receive the frame and was told within an hour that the frame wasn't going to be delivered. I just had to write you guys to vent my frustration with this purchase. A gift will now have to wait until after Christmas. You guys really dropped the ball on this one!

For a national chain they have THE WORST customer service out there. The WORST. Bought a dresser over $2,200 in mid October. If we signed up to be a member we could save 20% or something like that, but they charge you $100 to be a member - which was in the fine print (my bad that I didn't see it. I thought it was for future ad/junk mail purposes). 4 weeks later, RH called and said the first shipment arrived damaged. Second shipment was on its way. 3 weeks later, RH called and said the second shipment arrived damaged. They charged us AGAIN for shipping (twice on the same order). Fought like hell to get them to remove it.

They removed the first charge. Couldn't give me a delivery date on the third shipment so I cancelled the order. They refunded one of the shipping charges but not the dresser itself. Took multiple calls. When they finally refunded the dresser, we had to argue with the CSR that we shouldn't be charged FOR ANY shipping and that all charges should be refunded. RH actually argued with us that it was refunded when we should them our statement that it wasn't. Finally conceded and refunded everything but the original membership. Will never shop there or buy from them online again.

I ordered a Armoire grey finish. I paid close to $2000 with shipping. The product is not well finished and the picture on the website shows a distressed oak color and I received a painted smooth finish. Also one door is not properly screwed to the hinges and the paint is chipping where this hinge attaches. I expected a heavier doors and a more handcrafted piece of furniture. As an architect /carpenter, I expected more and got less. I will stick to building my own versions of handcrafted and finished products. Maybe since the original owner sold out the quality went to **. Who knows. Handcrafted items are going away and the chinese make everything and it shows.

Purchased 8 Madeleine chairs a few years ago which are still available. After a few years, all of the wicker seats are broken and one of the legs has snapped. This has to be a common issue since we are not particularly hard on them. When looking for replacement parts, I was told they don't offer them but they were happy to forward my complaint to the manufacturer. I WAS offered the ability to repurchase them for the current retail price, approx. $800 plus shipping. NO THANKS!

We purchased five pieces from RH. Their sales team were helpful but when we got the bill, we couldn't figure out what we have been charged for. The charges on our CC for each item were split into pieces. Tax for a chair was charged separately from the chair price, for example. The problem began when we started getting charges that we couldn't align with the bill. We called and our sales associate told us that their accounting system is difficult to explain. After three calls and reviewing each item, I gave up when I reached differences of a few dollars. I have never asked someone to explain a bill for me. They seem to charge tax for every service they offer. There is tax for their membership. There is tax for their shipping. They split the tax from the actual bill. Our experience was terrible. We won't buy anything from them again. If you plan to buy, ask them exactly what you'd be charged for and how much so it won't catch you by surprise.

This is the biggest ripoff I've ever seen. I became a member and they charged $100. I didn't read the small print. Does anyone know what I could do to reverse those charges. I'm furious. This is entrapment.

I am really surprised to see so many negative reviews. I recently bought many items from RH small items to 9 feet sofa. Believe me there is no item that I regret to buy. They are of excellent quality. My big items they delivered with no hassle. Yes they were late about a week than they initial said but delivery service was of top notch. I had some defective items which I needed to return even after some use and I never ever had problem contacting RH service and they were right there to help without any question. Please don't consider these many negative reviews. RH does not deserve anything lower than 4.5 stars for their products and less than 5 stars for their service. They are luxurious brand and everything you will get from them is no less than of that level.

So this is a company that must serious not give a care about their customers. I have purchased several items from this company. I could have easily bought from anyone else. But I thought this was the best. Best customer service. Oh man was I WRONG! I have purchased a fire bowl. And it broke in less than a year. So I tell RH I follow all the instructions and protocols they have. And it came out that they were going to refund me. Okay... I guess. Would have rather had a working fire bowl. But whatever.

Well that has been a thorn in my side since August 24th. Yup. It is now November... And I can not get anyone to get delivery scheduled for me. They said I have to contact the trucking company personally. So I have. (Which is not my job.) And no one will work with me on the date switch. RH WILL NEVER get another penny from me. I have a dining table, chandeliers, and a console table ready to purchase. And I will now take my business elsewhere. For all of my troubles, which have included 1 hour phone calls numerous times to figure out the problem, they were willing to "compensate" 200 bucks. Are you kidding me? I have spent thousands! And you are willing to give me 200... OH MY GOD!!! The lack of customer service, is so ridiculous. I can't even think how awful other people have been treated. It is so sad that we live in a world where a company has such awful staff! It's official RESTORATION HARDWARE. YOU SUCK!

We are renovating our apartment and needed an armoire for the bedroom. RH had a number of great options only so we selected one and called about delivery. We were told that the armoire would be delivered and "assembled inside our apartment" by their white glove delivery service. The piece was discounted if we paid the membership so we paid the fee and bought the piece. First, they rescheduled our delivery three times as they could not make it at the originally agreed upon time causing my wife to miss work multiple days while waiting at home for the delivery.

Second, once the item was delivered, it was in one piece and did not fit up our stairs. We called and were advised to tell the delivery service to take it back to the warehouse where it would be disassembled and brought back to us and assembled inside. We did just that and then followed up with calls daily looking for information on the new delivery. Finally, after multiple service representatives told us that it was in the works, someone let us know that there was no way that item could be disassembled and it was never coming back to our apt because the item was sold out.

Finally, we requested a refund after all of this trouble and were told it would take a few business days, however, the membership fee was "non-refundable". You lose, thanks for playing. We will never buy anything from this store again and I would pay ten times for an armoire from someone else just to know that the delivery and installation will be handled properly and the company is not trying to steal a few hundred bucks from me.

We ordered a dining room table from this company. The table was supposed to arrive on September 17th. I have called them six times and every time they tell me that someone will call back. I have never once received a call back from them. We finally got a delivery date from them of October 15th. I called them that morning, now a seventh time, since I did not receive a more specific delivery window as promised. They said that the item is either damaged or missing and they cannot deliver again until the end of December, most likely 2017. They said they would call me back with an update with an exact date. I do not expect a call or a table.

Had a terrible experience with RH. I spent over $10K in home furnishings for my living room. My couches were less than 9 months old when I moved out of my home to another location. In transit all the nailheads fell out of my couches and one of the wheels that was supposed to screw off - the entire wheel fell off leaving a dangerous sized nail hanging out of the couch. RH said they would sent replacement parts and they never came. I waited four months and they kept telling me they were in the mail. I was also told I would receive a refund of $2k. They said they sent two checks to two different addresses - they never came. I am finally trying to return all my furniture and still they are acting so incompetent - wrong contact info on file after its been changed several times and they screwed up my address several times. No tracking #s for the check for $2k either.

I am now returning all my furniture because it is poorly made for the price they charged and I've waited over 4 months for no replacement parts and absolutely no refund check they supposedly mailed twice to two separate addresses that never reached me including my office! They are liars and completely incompetent in replacing defective furniture and issuing refunds. I dealt with a woman named Julie, a supervisor who had an attitude with me because I never received any of the checks they NEVER sent! Do not buy furniture from this place - you're better off with Ethan Allen or another store that doesn't play games with their customers and actually have a competent working staff to help its customers.

I am so deeply disappointed in the quality for my daughter's area rug. I tried to clean up a little stain with WATER and that stained it even more. I then sent it to the cleaner and they said the type of material they used for the rug was terrible. I then called Restoration Hardware customer service and they tried to tell me that it was my fault for putting water on them. They refuse to even give me credit for the faulty carpet. I expect this from a lower quality company, but not Restoration Hardware. They just lost a lifelong customer!

I had purchased a large set of 802 towels (color Iron) and when a new RH store opened nearby I decided to add to the set (three years after). Only after I purchased the new addition did I realize the massive discoloration of the towels I had and trust me I wash them carefully in fragrance/color free Tide in COLD water, nothing else. When I call they deny any responsibility saying it's normal "fading" and wear and tear. BEWARE of this company. You're out $300-$500 every few years to keep a towel set in order. Pathetic. You'll see the new towel next to some of the older ones. Huge discoloration over time. Crappy dyes they're using.

Never ever use this company. Do your own research, don't just take my word for it. There are many folks who are equally unhappy with this company. My family's experience was with a $4K sofa build and delivery. We live in an older condo building. They built us an 84" sofa which could not fit into the building elevator. They did not ask us the size of the elevator at the time of purchase, and unfortunately for us we did not think about the size of the elevator when we placed our order. We rescheduled for delivery to another location. Somehow they were "unable to contact us by email" and our voicemail message boxes became inexplicably full when they tried to contact us by phone.

Interestingly enough, neither my wife or I did not receive any emails from them in spam folders and we did manage to receive voicemail messages from friends, family and co-workers without any complaints of a "full voicemail box." We finally managed to get back in touch with them by email and were told the sofa had been moved to another location and they will no longer deliver it to our preferred location. They "agreed" to refund our second half payment with a $150 "penalty" and to "generously" give us a "store credit" equal to our initial down payment. They also agreed to "build another sofa" and deliver it to our preferred location approximately 2+ months down the road... This was our customer experience with Restoration Hardware. Buyer beware.

I ordered a piece on May 15, 2016. (I am paying $199 delivery fee). I was told in the email I would be contacted by 5/26/16. I wasn't so I reached out to them. I left a message. 2 days later I was contacted and we tried to choose a delivery date for a week out. I asked what the window was and they could not give me one. I asked to have a note put in my account to say I had a healthy 4 hour window of "x".

I was just called today and told they could not accommodate any time in that window. Now I have to wait for Saturday. I also cannot choose a window till they call me Friday night. What kind of business is this? I will have to wait, and not be able to plan anything for the entire day. I work during the week and need to run errands during the weekend and many service stores are only open on Saturdays, if that.

Back to the window thing. I have now had 3 days I was free within this week, but they could not either meet a large window of time I had or tell me when until the day before. To top it off, I just got a voicemail on my phone while I was typing this that says my window is tomorrow between 1:30 - 2:30, but I already told her I can't do it and that I will want the Saturday time slot. I don't think I am ever going to get the shelving unit I paid way too much money for. Now I have to call them back to fix my delivery day, sure wish I could choose a time window. Ugh!

I am writing this review to share a very positive review of Restoration Hardware. My wife and I recently purchased two large pieces of furniture from RH. After a short wait (much sooner than they stated it would be), they contacted us for delivery. Today, they delivered the pieces, and much to our disappointment, one of the pieces would simply not fit through the doorway. There was an issue with listed dimension versus actual. The delivery crew offered to take our window out which we would not allow. So, we decided to return it. Note, that we purchased a final sale item that we returned. We were very fearful that we would be stuck with the item.

Quite the contrary, we were very quickly contacted 3 separate times by RH customer service to make it right. We decided to exchange the returned piece for two other pieces. Since it was an exchange from an existing order, we also got to utilize our previous unlimited shipping. So, there is no additional shipping charge and we were able to exchange a final sale item that did not fit for two other items at no cost. It is also important to note that I live fairly far outside local RH delivery areas. I have read here on Consumer Affairs that others have not had the same experience but feel it prudent to share a review of being pleasantly surprised with RH customer service. If you have not shopped with RH, you hopefully have the same.

My wife and I have decided we are tired of buying cheap/lesser quality items for our home only to have to replace them every 5 to 10 years, so we purchased a few things at RH. With the new Gray Card which automatically cut the price by 25%, and flexible financing options (genius, by the way) on the RH Card, it made it a hell of a lot easier to shop here. We bought 6 outdoor drape panels and the hotel iron hardware, all beautiful and the quality is top-notch. I will say whoever designed the tiny tool/wrench thing to do the final tightening is a masochist... Not the most user friendly, but the end result is stunning. I had to order 2 more panels and the price had gone back up so I called Customer Service. They were happy to assist me and lowered the price to the same as the other 6 panels, and also helped me cancel another order that was already shipped, and told me they would track it and reroute for me. Excellent. I'll be shopping here again for sure.

Ordered 3 Marais brass curtain rods back on 12/5/15. They finally arrived yesterday (5/18/16!) with no mounting brackets. So, it has taken RH over half a year to produce some brass rods incorrectly. Excuses have included "we didn't have enough raw materials" and "well they are custom". Truly feeble.

Compare Furniture Stores