2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

Restoration Hardware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Rude and arrogant staff. I dealt with Amy ** who I found to be condescending and rude. Once she saw that we were merely spending $2000 she turned off like a light switch. She gave us a quote but never returned our calls or emails. I drove to the store to see her sitting and talking to coworkers. We still count get any of the snobby staff to wait on us. I guess if I wore a tuxedo they might have noticed me. Pottery Barn was happy to help us so we purchased there.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I bought a sofa from RH 2 years ago. The cost was 4k. I tried this sofa in the showroom several times before I decided to buy it. I also bought it because it was attractive and comfortable. I had some concerns that it could lose support with time the way it's built but the salesperson assured me that it won't happen with time.. Right after the new sofa was delivered I sat on it and I realized that it felt different than on a sofa I tried in the showroom. The showroom sofa felt much more comfortable and supportive. By the way, I only weigh 128 lbs, yet my butt sinks into the cushions a lot. I can't tell you how my mom felt. She is a bit bigger than me and she completely avoids sitting on it, so are my parents-in-law...

I feel bad I didn't reach out to the company back then when I had those feelings. Because with a time sofa became even more uncomfortable and without any support. Only 2 years have passed and now when I sit on it I am sinking into the seat cushion quite a bit AND this is not comfortable, and is giving me lower back pain. This becomes more intense when I sit longer on the sofa. Outcome- we don't use our sofa in the living room, nobody wants to sit on it. I reached out to the company and they are not willing to help. They asked me to send photos, which i did and they estimated sofa to be normal, without any defects! Haha. They estimated this based on the photos. Funny right?! It looks okay indeed, but when you sit on it then you actually learn the issue..

After numerous emails back and forth they sent me new pillow inserts which turned out to be wrong size! I learned today they discontinued making the sofa I bought - obviously I am probably not the only one complaining about it. !! Be AWARE! Never buy expensive furniture from Restoration Hardware!!!! Very disappointed!!!

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

We ordered the Laguna Bed and Laguna Large Dresser for our son. Nothing here seems to be made of real wood anymore. The bed and the dresser we made of some type of fake wood and glue and paint to make it look like wood. The smell, oh the smell! I can't put into words how strong and toxic the smell was. With the windows open, it enveloped the room. My wife and I have headaches and felt sick being around the furniture. Even after leaving the room, my headache did not cease.

After taking the old furniture out and putting the new in, all of it had to be removed that same night and put outside. Even after the furniture was gone, the next day, you could still smell the toxic smell in the room. I do not know where these people get off selling toxic products like this, to kids no less! It is no wonder cancer is so prevalent, these companies just do not care about our health and wellness. It is time to start boycotting this type of behavior and these types of products and the companies making them. This bed is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, if you can believe that! What a lie and a joke it all is!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Beautiful store and furniture in the showroom. We furnished our living room, dining room and master bedroom with their products, at great expense. Delivery time was quite delayed and the pieces do not seem to be at all at the same level of quality as the showroom furniture. Colors have faded/ changed; grey has become an awful green. Finish on the wood is flaking and quickly deteriorating. Quite disappointing for us; we complained and were insulted when they send a tiny vial of paint to touch up the flaking areas. I’ve since been told by those in the design trade that RH uses different manufacturers for their display pieces than for what they actually send to customers. Will never buy from them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Purchased 2 Library Leather chairs and ottomans for new condo in 2013. Within 2 years, leather started cracking on arms and seat. Restoration Hardware offered no assistance, except offering to sell us a replacement cushion.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Purchased a Lancaster Veneto Leather sofa and within days started showing unsightly spots. We are clean meticulous people. Even a water droplet creates a stain that cannot be removed. We chose the suede leather because it resisted cat scratches which is true but had no idea it would stain so incredibly easily. We now we have blankets over the furniture daily for protection but they look terrible. After over $5K we cannot even enjoy them. I begged my husband for years for a beautiful new sofa and now this. I’m heartbroken. Contacted store and they offered no help but a company to call for cleaning. What’s the point? It will happen again if they are left uncovered. You’d think for that money they would want us happy.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Restoration Hardware used to be known for their quality and customer service. Not any more. In the last few months, I've ordered two items that have not lived up to my expectations. The first was a fan that was not the quality that I had expected from them but it works ok. I found the exact same fan later on the internet that was half the price and free shipping. Resto does not have free shipping. The second was a rug that within two months had started to come apart. It is a traditional oriental rug.

I have 7 other hand-knotted all wool rugs in my house - some older than 25 years. They all look exceptionally good. The expensive hand-knotted 100% wool rug from Restoration Hardware does not look good after 2 months. I wrote to them about the issues it was having and they just blamed me for it and told me there was nothing they could do. If I'm so hard on rugs why do all my other rugs still look so good? I highly recommend that you do not buy anything from Restoration Hardware.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I recently remodeled a room in my home and purchased several items from Restoration Hardware. I had two main issues that were handled poorly by them. The first was a lamp that was ordered with a delivery date of 1 month after I placed my order. A few days before the lamp was scheduled to arrive, I received a notice that there was a 7 month delay! When I called to discuss the issue, they could not supply a reason why this occurred nor did they offer anything to compensate. It appears they are selling items they don't even have.

The second issue was concerning the drapes I ordered. I requested fabric swatches and chose a fabric that they sent to have made into drapes. The material snags so easily that they already look bad and they have been hanging for less than 2 months. The material never should have been offered as a drapery fabric, it is unsuitable for this use. When I called to discuss and try to get another set of drapes in another fabric, I was told that they could not do this because the drapes were a special order, although I'm not sure why since they were a standard size. Again, no offer to try and do something to work thru the situation with me.

The entire experience with them was disappointing, I spent a lot of money with them over the course of 3 months to remodel this room and chose to do business with what I thought was a reputable brand, but they were a huge disappointment. I would not recommend spending the money for RH, they don't stand behind their products or service.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

We’ve used RH for many rooms...we like the style and we like their design branch yet without fail, with each purchase there has always been an issue with the furniture requiring replacement and/or repair. The latest and now for us the final RH purchase was a sofa and 2 swivel chairs. The purchase was custom made. With covid there has been no home entertaining and the swivel chair item has not been used as we use the TV/family room instead.

A couple of weeks after purchase a red, rust like stain appeared from under the crease where the back meets the seat. The seat has no red staining. We have not used this seat, do not have young children and have certainly not eaten or drunk anything in this room which is currently not being used. RH unwilling to take any responsibility. With our other poor experiences in mind it’s time to move on and find a better furniture supplier. Don’t waste your money or time with this company. You’re buying into a magazine lifestyle but the reality is shoddy materials, shoddy workmanship and time consuming replacements and/or repairs. Look elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Do not shop here! They are the "Xfinity" of furniture stores. After several backorders on a VERY expensive sectional sofa that they GUARANTEED was going to get to me by early July, it continues being back-ordered, and they switched vendors. When I was concerned about whether the quality would be the same, the manager (Mark) condescendingly told me that "well they haven't had any complaints", but insisted that if I wasn't satisfied with the quality I had no recourse.

Furthermore, I probably spent 4 hours on hold and trying to contact managers with the issues and left probably 6-7 messages for a manager to call me back without response. Now, I finally decided to cancel the order after months of back and forth, was confirmed that it would be cancelled and refunded, and a week later they charged my card AGAIN ELEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS! I'm trying to book a flight to visit a friend dying of cancer and my card is maxed because I wasn't anticipating $11,000 on it! For a sofa I cancelled!!! And of course can't get in touch with a manager again. I'm beyond upset. Do not shop here!

Restoration Hardware author review by ConsumerAffairs

Restoration Hardware prides itself on being at the cutting edge of trends and technology in the furniture industry. The company mainly caters to luxury buyers offering a curated collection of historical reproductions and updated classics.

• Selection: Living, diving, bed and bathroom, plus lighting, textiles, rugs, windows, hardware, décor, art, outdoor and holiday furnishing.

• Delivery: Flat shipping and delivery rates based on distance.

• Returns: Eligible (non-customized) items are eligible for returns and exchanges.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team