1.16/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Restoration Hardware

Looking for a good furniture store?

384 Restoration Hardware Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

We shopped RH to furnish a new home. We purchased a suite of office furniture, sofa console, rug, coffee table, two floor lamps, two task lamps and a huge sectional. Here is the run down... We returned 50% of the furniture due to defects, backordering and poor workmanship. The sectional is garbage with very thin cushions that completely sag like a 20 yr old mattress (this happened immediately, after 1 week of use). Do not buy RH furniture, marked up garbage.

Resolution response: July 5, 2019

Today I sent a message through Restoration Hardware's website directly to customer service to confirm that this item is not available for purchase, since days after my initial inquiry I still could not believe what I was told by their customer service via phone. Their response was to apologize for the miscommunication and that in-fact the hardware was available for purchase. I placed an order for the item and have my fingers crossed that it is what I need.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I just phoned RH customer service to inquire about replacement mounting hardware for our Lugarno towel bar. This towel bar gets little use, but the metal wall mounting bracket on both ends shattered. RH still sells the Lugarno Towel Bar, however they will not sell the mounting bracket, which is unable to be purchased at a hardware store since it’s a custom item. Their solution to a defective item that at most costs $5.00 is to purchase a new $105 towel bar. Why do business with a company like this? Unbelievable...

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I walked into RH at Yorkdale shopping mall and thought I was in the wrong place. No where on the building or doors said RH, let alone Restoration Hardware. It just said Gallery and the hours they are open. I walked in and there was a huge bar set up and people lounging and drinking everywhere. No one looked like they were employees. I really thought it was an art gallery or some kind of event. I had to go back inside the mall to ask where Restoration Hardware was, only to be told that I was in fact in the right place. No one looked at me or tried to help me. I was there for a half an hour. I guess they didn’t want my business. I ended up going to Crate and Barrel and bought my new bedroom set there. I would be really surprised if they can sell anything to anyone.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I ordered a crib for my best friend who is expecting. They called us back in May 2019 stating that the crib was ready for delivery, and that it could be set up to be delivered at any time. We spoke with someone and related that the nursery was under construction and we would need it delivered in mid-June. Restoration Hardware had no problem with this, and said that they could deliver it when we needed it. We chose a date of 6/19/19, and they scheduled it. This morning I saw that my credit card was officially charged and figured this meant the delivery was a go, until my pregnant best friend called me crying. Apparently they never set up a confirmation of delivery with her, so she called to find out a time frame they would be delivering between. This was when she was informed that there was a problem and they would not be able to deliver to her for another two to three weeks.

That's great to tell a woman who is about to pop, and will not have a crib for her child. I then proceeded to call them and ask what was going on, and explained everything from the beginning. I was put on a two minute hold, and when the Customer Service Representative got back on the phone she said that there had been a computer glitch and that there was nothing she could do. I told her that doesn't help me much, or the fact that my friend could pop at any second, and she said to call back when the crib was delivered so that they could compensate me in some manner. I am really curious to see what they are going to be able to do, and when the final delivery of the crib will take place, but I can say that I was just about to buy new furniture from them, and will not be anymore. I am less than thrilled about what a nightmare this has turned into, and I am hoping that the baby holds out until she has a bed to sleep in. Ridiculous.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I spent thousands of dollars on a new bed that came with a horrible odour free of charge. RH and Ryan ** are aware of this and yet there is no warning!! Imagine.... it's 4 weeks later and it still stinks and i can't sleep. They will refund my money and I have to wait 6 weeks for a new BED. If they had mentioned this at the start I would've shopped elsewhere. RH has horrible sales tactics and is not transparent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Restoration Hardware?

Original review: June 5, 2019

I purchased outdoor sectional, 2 couches and 2 lounge chairs, coffee table and fire pit. The fabric fades as well (as the coffee table) and turned discolored within 24 months. When I bought it out of the west Hollywood store, the salesperson assured me how that will not happen to the fabric. Even worse, customer service is terrible. Beyond not calling me back, not emailing me back without me going to the store and telling the sales person, who intervened and got them to be responsive. But finally say "not a defect from manufacturer".

They do not build long term relationships, they only care about making a sale today. Please also understand. I have bought 6 beds, dining chairs, 3 nightstands, daybed, outdoor bar stools, and this is how they treated me! I wrote them they may have saved a couple hundred dollars by not replacing a few cushions, but it will cost them thousands and thousands and thousands. /Users/johndesilets/Desktop/IMG_0775.jpg/Users/johndesilets/Desktop/IMG_0779.jpg

Original review: June 1, 2019

I ordered a large cabinet that was in stock and available for immediate delivery. No one contacted me about scheduling the delivery so after 4 days I called RH and another week out was the earliest I could get the piece. They asked when I scheduled about stairs and I informed the scheduling people that it had to go up 2 flights of stairs. When it arrived the delivery guys said they could not take anything that heavy upstairs and I would have to reschedule with a 4 man team. RH knew there were stairs and how heavy the piece was yet they booked 2 men. The delivery guy said RH would call me - they didn't.

I called them and was told the earliest delivery was in 6 more days. Then they kept me waiting for an hour and a half saying they were working on getting it to me sooner, which of course they didn't do. Thanks Danny! So having already gotten rid of the dresser I was replacing, I'm left with all my clothes sitting on the floor for a week. Now that I have read all of the other reviews I'm preparing myself for the piece to be a mess when it finally does arrive.

Original review: May 23, 2019

The company insists on sending us their 700 page catalogue with a mention in small font that they "promote responsible forest management," which is a significant misrepresentation. They have sent us this catalogue for years, wasting hundreds of pounds of paper, despite our requests to the contrary. This is a poor reflection on their business practices.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Restoration Hardware hires out to poor quality delivery services. The 'white glove' delivery service which I was FORCED to purchase for $499 for the delivery of my bed was absolutely awful. #1. They were supposed to call the night before to set up the delivery time and they never did. So I called Restoration Hardware at 9:00 pm at night to ask when my bed would be delivered and was told that the delivery company called me....to tell me that it would be delivered the next day between 10:30 am and 12:30 pm. I said that there was no call, no voice mail, no nothing and was told that I must be mistaken...

#2 instead of calling me 30 minutes beforehand, they called me an hour beforehand and said they were about to pull in the driveway. So they called at 9:30 am instead of 10:00. The delivery people unloaded the boxes, and tried to deliver, but couldn't fit the bed up the stairs and so packed up the bed and drove away. They didn't call and ask what I wanted them to do, they just left and I saw this on the camera so I called and asked where they were going. They said, "Oh it didn't fit so we are taking it back." I asked them to please turn around and go back to leave it and I would figure out how to get the bed placed in the house. Then I had the bed removed from packaging and installed after which point I noticed that the footboard was cracked. I called them to please come and take the cardboard away and they said they would and then never showed up....So I have about 150 pounds of packing material in my garage AND a broken bed.

Restoration Hardware's response "the delivery company followed proper procedure. The only thing they didn't do was pick up the cardboard and so we will credit you $150 for that (because I have to pay to have it removed) but the damage is your problem because once they drove away, it became your responsibility and now we can't tell if the party you had put it together broke the bed or not." I will NEVER order anything from this company again. Their service is terrible and their quality clearly isn't all that great. About $3000 later and very unhappy customer.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I purchased a outdoor fire pit for $3,081.25. It is now peeling and the fiberglass is crumbling. RH sent me to the manufacturer in China... No response. RH will not take any responsibility for their product. No assistance at all! There is no customer service at RH!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased six full sets of expensive linen sheets, including duvet covers, for my higher end Airbnb. Within one year of using them, and carefully caring for them, I had two incidents where there were large areas of discoloration on the pillowcases. I noticed this in both cases right after the guests checked out, and before washing them. After the first incident, I took the pillowcase to my dry cleaner and he confirmed that the areas were discolored, and not stained. He believes a product such as a face lotion or a hair product caused the discoloration of the fabric.

After the second incident, this time on three pillowcases, I contacted RH for help, and sent photos of the damaged pillowcases. After numerous follow-up emails on my end was told that I must have bleached the pillowcases and therefore they weren't going to help. Basically, the rep was accusing me of lying and closed the case. After receiving this email I contacted RH again and asked a new rep if it's possible that products such as lotions or hair products can pull the dye from the pillowcases, and she said that it was, but that RH doesn't consider this a defect. She actually suggested I charge my guest for the damage. Really? An innocent person that simply put his favorite product in his hair or on his face that day, and then went to sleep?

I have washed and cared for these sheets with the same gentle detergent, in a gentle cycle with cold water. I don't even have bleach in my home. These were very expensive sets of sheets and now have two incomplete sets. I would not recommend purchasing from Restoration because they do not stand behind their products, and there is nothing professional about their 'customer support'.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Please be aware that Restoration Hardware uses harmful chemicals in their overseas factories. Their upholstery and woodwork is not eco friendly. They don't use water based wood stains and finishes. I ordered a Maxwell leather sofa a few years ago and it has been off-gassing since I received it. Customer service refuses to list the ingredients in the foam and tell me more about how the sofa is made. They say it is proprietary but I really think they are just covering up a manufacturing process that they don't want to share with the public. If you have young children, I urge you not to use RH products.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Shockingly poor quality. I’ve ordered a few items over the years from RH. A side chair that sat in my living room in the corner, unused for the most part. One day my 100 lb son sat down on it and the leg snapped and he and the chair fell to the floor. According to RH, this isn’t a manufacturing defect. Ok. Another time recently I bought an entire set of RH luxury towels in French blue. The color immediately began to run and the fabric pulled. I emailed and was able to exchange them, assuming it was a defect with that batch because RH towels are often rated so highly (must be reviews for their initial feel which is admittedly heavy and absorbent).

The second batch quickly began to discolor and pull as well - so much so that they will be turned into rags within a year of purchase. RH refuses to admit any defects when I contacted them, and said I must be washing them incorrectly. I emailed photos of other towels I’ve washed the same way that have held up for years - no response from RH. Their goods are well marketed junk.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We did a outdoor balcony in Southern Ca and our interior designer recommended RH for the furniture. We received the delivery in December 2018. By the beginning of March we called RH to report that all the furniture was splitting, cracking and paint was chipping off. The furniture was supposed to be real which is usually very durable.

No customer service to speak of. Then we called our designer & he convinced them to come & inspect the issues which they finally did & their response was call Doctor Teak! I am appalled furious and extremely disappointed to say the least. Please let the consumer beware! Their catalog is drop dead gorgeous and that’s where the buck stops! Inferior furniture was no quality at all. I want them to come & pick up every single piece of junk that they supposedly manufactured. It’s probably from China at a company with no quality control. Please let everyone know that they are not what they appear to be. I will go to the TV stations as well as hire an attorney as we spend a lot of money and basically all the furniture is falling apart in three months.

Original review: April 2, 2019

We bought a $4,000 Russian reclaimed wood table from RH Toronto. Now, just 5 months later the table is starting to cave in. The table top looks like a hammock!!! The legs are pointing outwards with as much as a 1 cm difference from top to bottom. Talked to RH and the said that it is natural because it's old wood. Well I am a designer and I know enough to know that NEW wood behaves like this. Old high quality wood does not move to this extent. Makes me want to question if RH actually is using this Russian old oak that they claim to be using or is it new poor quality Chinese wood??? Just wondering?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Bought a baby crib $2200. When we tightened the bolt to secure the frame it popped the veneer on the other side exposing the pressed cardboard. I can’t believe they can charge 2200 for something made of pressed cardboard. Because we bought it at their outlet they refused to take it back or send me a replacement. I would not recommend purchasing furniture at Restoration because it is definitely not of good quality and they do not stand behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Where to begin. I purchased this item back on 1/21/19. It’s 1/21/19 and 3rd piece just as damaged as the first. Was told since it’s three tries maybe I would want something else instead. No one is being held accountable, the quality of work is just horrible and disappointing. We paid over $2000, the item looks like a kid painted and then refixed. Can never get anyone on the phone when you call and you have to wait until they are ready to call you back. It’s been a nightmare. If I had read these reviews prior there is no way in hell I would be purchasing from this cheap quality store.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My Channel Stitch Cotton Voile Coverlet & Shams Graphite King/Cal King Coverlet cost over $400 on huge New Year's White Sale. I washed it in lukewarm water and low dry and it shrank so much, it no longer fits a king bed. RH refuses to take it back. This product retails over $1000, regular price. What kind of poor quality bedding shrinks so much as to be unusable? What kind of store refuses to take it back? Now we know. Stay away from RH.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I ordered 2 Belgium linen roll arm sofas last part of 2018 and the quality of the line is horrible, it is pulled and has weak spots, more than a linen fabric should be. $3,000 apiece. My husband said they look like they should be in a dorm room. Needless to say the sofas are on their way to a charity. In to the reclaimed salvaged coffee table. Mine got a huge crack down the middle nothing that be fixed with the little stick repair kit. I was told this is normal for this type of wood. The split is literally 12 inches long and 1-3 inches wide in various places. So this is normal, I guess I can use it for a book holder. I am not allowed to shop at Restoration Hardware ever again. Do not recommend these products to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Ordered the Torano Marble table in brass, paid almost 5 thousand dollars for it. Got it - the legs were rusted (the marble table top weighs over 300 pounds and they put it on rusted legs - smart). Called the company - they sent out the replacement - replacement got here - it also had rusted legs. I refused the replacement and called the company who said they would investigate where the defect is coming from and it would take a week and a half. Week and a half goes by - nothing. I call and they tell me a few more days. 4 days later - nothing.

Meanwhile the 30 days window to return is closing. Called again and said I would like to return the table completely (I would rather take my 5K to a company who gives you an undamaged item) and was told that the link to set up pick up will be sent to me. Nothing. Called again and was told that it takes 35 days for them to schedule a delivery (way outside of the window for the return and probably a way for them to then justify partial refund). I asked to speak to the manager and when I threatened to involve my CC company to open a dispute then miraculously set up a pick for me right away. I am never purchasing from this company again. Way overpriced for stuff made in China, horrible quality and horrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Returned a settee that fell apart, only to have it replaced by the same again in the wrong fabric. Sent that back, and AGAIN they sent a new one in the wrong fabric! We agreed they owed me a refund. Got it today for half the amount! If there is any conceivable way for this company to get it wrong, they'll find it.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I wanted to order a smallish mirror (26"x48") and they insist on charging $200 delivery as a standard delivery charge. They said I could add more stuff to it. What? This is on the same weekend that Pottery Barn is offering free delivery. How do these guys stay in business?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Even if a purchase is made for a Christmas present, which typically is purchased a couple of weeks beforehand, the policy is only store credit. Almost all purchases will be past the lame 30 day policy. Horrible customer service inside the store. The manager was unhelpful, rude and condescending.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought 4 Remy chairs about 2 years ago. One of the chairs arrived with a chipped and rusted back, and RH replaced it immediately. However, 2 years hence, two chairs are broken. It's strange because the set was in a vacation home and not used daily. The legs on two chairs literally buckled recently, causing the sitters to fall on the floor! Neither guest was 'oversized', just regular folks... RH sent me a gift card to cover my initial purchase price, but I don't really want to buy anything else from RH. I am disappointed and, quite frankly, shocked at the poor quality of their products.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I spent $3,800+ on 2 stupid mirrors that were spec'd on a job that clearly are only worth about $1,000 tops. The day they were to be delivered came and went. I called and I got treated poorly. I had to wait 3 weeks to get them delivered. After calling them they told me that they had been shattered, ya right!!! It took 3 weeks to get the first set but now they can deliver to my office 3 days later on a Saturday. So now I have to sit at my office on Saturday on a 4 day holiday weekend. They said they left a voicemail, don't have one, they said they sent an email, didn't get one. I am beyond upset. A few years ago I ordered bar stools from this place and they were so cheap, I sent them back and they charged me a restocking fee and I had to pay to send the pieces of crap back to them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We ordered personalized Christmas Stocking from their online site which read “Delivered on or before 12/05”. On 12/06 we still had not received them. I called the company and was told they are “backed up” and the promise date wasn’t accurate because it’s not a normal situation. I was also told the stockings had not even been embroidered yet and they were “hopeful we would receive them next week”... 1 week before Christmas. I asked what was not normal about ordering Christmas decor on 11/27 and the worker was at a loss of words. You should not advertise a promise date if you cannot even come close to the promise date. Absolutely unprofessional. It should never fall on the customer that they cannot keep up with demand, and they should not make promises they can’t keep. Will never shop with them again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We ordered a dresser and bed. They have been promising delivery for months. They said that they were finally ready to make delivery, and charged our credit card. But SURPRISE - they are only delivering the dresser. They said they, "Couldn't fit the bed on the truck." This is possibly the least customer friendly furniture company. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews before spending $5.000 on window treatments and days of being angry and frustrated and wishing I could get my money back. They promise the moon and deliver zero. I was told my order would ship in 2-3 weeks, it is now shipping in hopefully 6 weeks. After you wait twice the time you were told they cannot guarantee the installer can come in a timely manner. They tell you all different stories depending on who you talk to. We had to drive over an hour to the store on 4 separate occasions to even get the order right. WALK AWAY from this place!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I just spent nearly $10,000 ordering furniture from these crooks... Their 'delivery company' left the Bed in several separate pieces) and Belgian Linen sofa outside with NO PACKAGING, BOXES, OR ANY PROTECTION WHATSOEVER! The sofa was completely stained and disgusting, legs were damaged, several pieces of the bed broken, drawers cracked~Everything literally RUINED!!! I called their "Customer Service" (I use that term VERY loosely) to explain everything and ask them what they were going to do about my VERY EXPENSIVE and completely ruined items, they asked me to send in pictures of everything which I immediately did that CLEARLY showed everything ruined beyond repair and when they finally got back to me three days later they said they were not going to do ANYTHING AT ALL, not replace, no refund, NOTHING!

They said because I didn't clearly SPECIFY that the items should be in boxes, packaged, etc. that they were not responsible for anything. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? In what world do you order nearly $10,000 of furniture ONLINE for delivery and you need to SPECIFY for them to have the furniture in a box, &/or wrapped &/or properly package the items and not just leave the bare pieces strewn about OUTSIDE??? Nearly $10,000 completely down the drain! These people are complete and total crooks~please trust me when I tell you to spend your hard earned money ELSEWHERE!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have contacted the customer service regarding a broken dining room chair that I had for about five years. They offered to fix a chair or return the chair. Both offers are so much more than I expected or anticipated given that the chair has been used for five years. The customer service rep got on the phone almost immediately after I called. I am beyond satisfied with the overall customer service experience.

Restoration Hardware expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Restoration Hardware prides itself on being at the cutting edge of trends and technology in the furniture industry. The company mainly caters to luxury buyers offering a curated collection of historical reproductions and updated classics.

• Selection: Living, diving, bed and bathroom, plus lighting, textiles, rugs, windows, hardware, décor, art, outdoor and holiday furnishing.

• Delivery: Flat shipping and delivery rates based on distance.

• Returns: Eligible (non-customized) items are eligible for returns and exchanges.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs