4.1/5 (522 ratings)

About Pur Water Filters

Pur Water Filters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pur Water Filters?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

The indicator light no longer works. Read web articles on a fix but they did not work. Called their number and basically was told don't need the light. Well why have it then? There are many web articles on the same problem. Filter still under warranty but I would need to box it up, mail at my expense, and wait for a replacement. Told them "Forget it, I will throw it away and never buy a PUR filter (KAZ is parent company) or any other KAZ product." Lasted less than 8 months - received as XMAS gift.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

After installing my "so-called" stainless steel (it is plastic) PUR water filter, per the instructions, onto my sink faucet, it leaked a little - just a little, so I endured it for a while. The leak became worse and worse, and the water flow when filtering was tediously slow. It leaks above and below the faucet adapter fitting. In only two months with minimal use the red light came on.

I had purchased a three pack of replacement filters at WalMart when I bought the filtering system so I replaced the filter. The leak is intolerable now. It literally sprays me and my kitchen even when NOT filtering. I have tried tightening the black plastic adapter, plumbers tape, and plumbers putty. Nothing makes it quit leaking. I would not recommend this product to my worst enemy. Stainless steel is not plastic. Whoever manufactured and labeled the box should know the difference. I am very, very disappointed. I no longer have a receipt but I do have the original packaging.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

Cannot remove the top. I put it on and am a wimp, so I could not put it on too tight. Won't come off. I have asked other people for assistance and they could not remove it either. This is the first time I would be replacing the filter, so it seems that the same thing would happen again, if I could get it off. When I contacted the company, they just suggested that I look at the video. Britta was easier, but I thought that Pur would filter more things out. I think I'll go back to Britta!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

Every time we buy a new filter the light indicator goes from green to yellow to red in the same day. It's very confusing. We have went thru 3 faucet units in 2 years. Same problems pop up with every unit.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I have had a Pur water pitcher for many years and it worked fine. Now in the last few months every filter is defective. The water stays in the top and never filters down. The first few started working again after I took it back out and tapped it on the counter. The last few nothing works. Guess it's time to buy a Britta!

Original review: July 31, 2015

DO NOT rely on this water filter for healthy drinking water. After purchasing the first filter unit, the light indicator stopped working after 3 weeks. Although, PUR replaced the housing unit at no cost, the CSR told me that the indicator light "does that" on all units and I shouldn't worry about the water quality. She told me I should change it every 3 months, but she would send a new one just to ease our minds. The new unit's indicator light stopped working after 4 weeks. The indicator light is there to let the consumer know when the filter needs changing. The indicator light on PUR unit is useless. I'm not confident the filter is working. We used BRITA for many years with NO unit problems. Back to BRITA!

Original review: July 30, 2015

I've been using Pur water filter for 3 yrs cause the city water I pay for is so nasty & stinky I need a filter or else buy bottled stuff. On the box it states these filters last 3 months - THEY DON'T. Every 2 months to the exact date it needs replacing - WHY??? It's bad enough my water bill is $32 a month then add a new filter every other month at a cost of $18 - adds up real fast. I sure wish they would last 3 months - also I live alone so for sure it should be lasting longer.

Original review: July 19, 2015

I contacted Pur Support on July 7th and haven't heard anything. My Pur Water Filtration System -- Model FM3333B -- has leaked since the day I installed it, slowly at first but a lot now. I've attached it to an Ikea EDSVIK dual control kitchen faucet. I have read other reviews that Pur sent replacement adapters but I haven't heard a word from Pur yet. I'll just send another email to Pur Support hoping that I will get the replacement adapters soon. P.S. I love the filtration system and want to continue using it.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I've owned several of the egg-shaped faucet units over the years. With each new unit, the performance drops and the filters rise in price. The green/amber/red indicator light is totally unreliable, as after few gallons of water flow it will change to amber then shortly after to red, even though the water flow is still strong. Here's the kicker: I purchased a "TDS" meter (total dissolved solids). I test the filtered water regularly with it. When new, the filter removed a fair amount of dissolved solids. After light use (maybe five gallons or so), THE TDS READING IS THE SAME FOR FILTERED WATER as well as NON-FILTERED WATER! No longer recommended.

Original review: July 18, 2015

Hey if you like clean water and mostly rely on local grocery stores for your supplies then you have probably at your 2nd to 3rd week of using a PUR attachable faucet filter. And what's most frustrating is that you're trying to do your dishes with hot water and the last thing you're expecting another eye to start twitching out of control due to the fact that a Pur filtration plastic connection adapter is being designed to filter the money from your wallet! So if you look inside that plastic adapter you will see a raised section that acts as a pre-filter. On the flat ring base of that raised section you will see 4 small holes with metal backing that you would think nothing of. "I have troubleshooted this as being the problem! And once fixed it's not so bad".

What I did is clog those 4 or 5 holes with either medical grade silicone putty that is sold as "earplugs" or if you have aquarium grade silicone caulking. Keep in mind that these are really small amounts and you will want to use and pack in those holes when they are dry, and that will fix the annoying problem! It took me a lil while to wrap my head around their design because they have a ring of micro holes on the outside of the adapter acting as a pressure escape. All of their plastic Faucet/Unit connections have this. Also, I think the reason the cartridges have short life & H2O slimy feel & initial itchy throat feeling is due to the added "Crisp Minerals". These are added alkaline enriched minerals to a bit higher than an 8pH level and over time soaked in water/filtering H2O.

These added "Crisp Minerals" dissolve becoming smaller particles and act as sand clogging up the inside micro strainer where the water exits the cartridge filter thus resulting in a filter half-life, & thus a vulnerable loyal consumer re-purchase – who have "limited general selections & limited shopping outlets". I'm sure the pressure release hole are for some sort of "safety" (zero problems for me yet) but when look and judge the micro designing you can't help but feel like a lil hand is reaching in to your back pocket.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I purchased an on-the-tap over minerals water filter by Pur last month. Within 2 weeks there was a pressure crack down the side and water squirting at the seal. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: July 15, 2015

My brother and I both bought a PUR water system. He had a problem with a leak on the faucet, and was able to send to the manufacturer for a replacement metal connectors instead of plastic. We both have had a problem with the green light. My green light goes out after about 8 or 10 gallons of water. I continue to use it for at least 30 gallons. My brother has learned to do that. I figured out almost after the first filter that this green light system does not work. You just have to estimate your water usage and change the filter when you believe it is time.

Original review: July 3, 2015

I have purchased three pur water filter and they have all quit working right away. I am so frustrated with them. I will never buy another one. I should get my money back on my last one. I loved them when they were working, but that did not last very long. The problem is the light stops working. Also it sprays everywhere.

Original review: July 1, 2015

I got the unit and installed it. The light that shows that the unit is still filtering stopped working. I e-mailed Pur, but the amount of info they needed to even talk about it was ludicrous. So I just bought a new one. Well that light went out too. So now I have to estimate when I think the filter is no longer working. CHEAP EQUIPMENT.

Original review: June 4, 2015

I recently sent back 4 Pur Water Filter systems to the company for faulty green lights. The company was very understanding and sent me back 4 new units. I may be unhappy with the system at that time but very pleased in the way Pur took care of my problem! I was not expecting that they would replace all of them. I like the way the product works most of the time. I will continue to support them.

Original review: June 3, 2015

I am pleased with the design of the sink filter, but it leaks a steady stream of water during the filtration cycle. It appears as though the small strainer/gasket is restricting the flow, or the filter itself is creating the back pressure. What is your recommended fix for this problem? Reading a few reviews I'm not the first with this.

Original review: June 2, 2015

I have owned a series of Pur Faucet Water Filters and this problem has recurred on all of them. When the new filter is placed in the system a green light is supposed to signal that the filter is working properly. Upon replacing the third new filter, the light flashes red instead of green. On each subsequent use of the filter the light flashes red. Supposedly the red light signals the need to replace the filter. This creates the confusion of not knowing when to put in a new filter. On June 2nd 2015 I contacted the help line at Pur. He told me it was not my fault and gave me these options: 1) Ignore the light and mark on the calendar the date installed and three months later replace the filter. 2) Ship the filter back to Pur and wait for them to ship me a replacement.

The first option means that I am not getting the service that I paid for because Pur sold me a defective product and I am just to live with it. The second option means I have to pay shipping to send the defective filter to them. Then I wait for them to ship a replacement. I will be without a filtration system while I wait for the transaction to take place. And that the new system will have the same faults as the old system. I told their representative that I was very disappointed with them. I do not have the money to invest in another system. Once again a screwed consumer!

Original review: May 6, 2015

I installed a PUR faucet mount filter system to replace another brand. What sold me on the PUR was the green light (good filter) red light (bad filter) feature. On my 3rd filter, the light stopped working. Maybe it was the off brand filter replacement? No, even putting the old PUR filter back in didn't help. I figured out why the light stopped working. I figured it was broken, so I might as well crack it open and see what the problem was. The battery died. Really? Yes, there is a battery sealed inside this plastic sarcophagus. This was never intended to be a replaceable part. Everything is sealed in a clear epoxy from the circuit board, to the LED, to the watch battery that runs it all. All in all, it was a great idea, very poorly executed. I'd like to send the destroyed filter back to the engineer that designed it.

Original review: April 27, 2015

Where I live, the water is really bad so I started buying Pur water system for the kitchen sink. My first one (I have bought 8 of them) I got it all set up, no problems and in a couple of days it started to leak water. And I thought that it was me, that maybe I didn't do something right. Out of all eight of them I bought, they all leak and by the second month of using them, the light stops working. Do not buy this product!!!

Original review: April 27, 2015

I have used the faucet filter and there is no light coming on to let me know when to change it. I have been diagnosed with terminal cancer and it is essential for me to have clean water. I am afraid to buy bottled water due to it coming in plastic. So, this is my only affordable alternative. Please return an answer soon.

Original review: March 25, 2015

We have used a PUR faucet water filter unit for years. A few years ago, they switched from the screw on attachment design to the "1-click." After constant water leaks and the unit being blown off the faucet when turned to filter, I contacted the company and they sent an array of plastic and metal & plastic adapters which supposedly would solve the problem. It only partially helped; I had to tear up an old t-shirt into strips and wrap around the filter and the faucet about 5 times to anchor it on and to block the sprinkler effect. Fast forward 1 year: the adapter provided to solve the problem failed (wore down?) and the filter came flying off despite the t-shirt tether! I am just now reading of the company changing hands.... you are now reading of my changing water filtration companies!

Original review: March 11, 2015

The lights on the water filter don't work, so I don't know if my Filter is cleaning it or not. Going back to bottled water.

Original review: March 5, 2015

The newer model has leaked from day one. I've had it approximately 6 months and now when I turn it on it shoots water to the ceiling. My mom has used them for years and now she has to replace the whole unit every 3-4 months and keeps paper towels around her so water doesn't shoot everywhere! I wish they would make them like they use to.

Original review: March 3, 2015

Today I tested my mother in laws PUR filter water in her pitcher and it came up full of copper, nitrate nitrogen, nitrite nitrogen, and the levels were very high!!!! The pitcher's green button is working yet why do these readings come out so high. Here they are NITRATE NITROGEN was 25ppm, COPPER was 2ppm, CHLORINE 1ppm, NITRITE NITROGEN 1ppm. That was only the 4-way test? Are these high enough to call a lawyer? Please help with advice- these filters are brand new and the water pitcher is only from Dec 2014?

Original review: March 2, 2015

I had a fairly new filter in but the Red Light would blink on and be off for a while then back on. So I put in a new filter cartridge and the Red Light is still doing the same thing. Also I read somewhere recently that these things don't even really work anyway.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I purchased a 6-pack PUR water filter and when I opened my filter, it had sand and felt oily (the filter), and my water has a plastic taste and it smells like plastic too. Why is this happening? I don't want to get sick or have kidney problems because of a bad filter.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

We purchased our system last year (2014). We have never had a crack or leak. What we do have that is very annoying is when you switch the lever to filter the water it comes out in a very small trickle. I put my coffee pot under it to fill for 12 cups. I can go and make my bed and come back and it is still filling. This is ridiculous. We changed filters but they do the same thing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

Pur Water Filter purchased to replace depleted filter. Place approximately 6 days ago and a strange taste continues to be present. Also experiencing nausea (not severe) and odd feeling in my throat.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I am on my 3rd faucet mounted filtration system. The first one started leaking at the washer, spraying me with water every time I used the faucet. Purchased the "chrome" style, and after 2nd filter replacement, the LED indicator stopped functioning. The water here tastes terrible, and since I had thrown the box and receipt away, purchased another one. Mind you, they are not inexpensive. The LED indicator went out on this one after the 3rd filter change. Now I must go by the number of days used in order to know when to replace the filter. I absolutely would not recommend this system to anyone, and in the meantime am stuck with a product that does not work as promised. I can't even be sure the filter is functioning properly since I go by the number of days, not gallons of water filtered.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

When we attach our new filter to our faucet, it leaks and sprays water. We have changed the attachment, removed and tried the filter again. We paid over $39.00 for that but since I threw away the box and receipt for this filter, I am stuck with it. We are very disappointed since our first PUR filter worked so well.

Pur Water Filters Company Information