1.8/5 (36 ratings)

About Premier Pools and Spas

Premier Pools and Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Premier Pools and Spas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Premier Pools and Spas?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Do Not USE This company to build your pool. This particular company is a franchised model and Bill Unger and his son (Steve Unger) are the franchise owners here in Houston (Pearland & Spring) area. We contracted to have them build us a pool with a contract date of 06/2020. 09/26/2022 **** POOL FAILED THE FINAL PLUMBING INSPECTION AGAIN ON 09/16/2022.

We also have a issue with the pool overflow draining. Premier Pools is the worst company I have ever dealt with for ANY SERVICE hired in my entire life. They do not communicate and value customers. They do not return calls, voicemails or emails. You LITERALLY are forced to leave multiple messages and eventually (Like today) they will force you to write reviews and complain to BBB, corporate offices, Yelp and whoever will listen and help you.

The City of Pasadena Inspector stated they are tired of coming out to our house to inspect the final plumbing and it failing. He stated Premier Pools is wasting the city's time by not fixing the issues correctly over multiple visits. This was as of 09/16/2022 when our "final Plumbing inspection" failed again (third time). Please read the other reviews...you will see a distinct pattern of the very same thing. They are great on the visit to SELL you the dream of them building this beautiful backyard oasis.

Once you sign the contract and start paying them money...it's totally different and you are immediately hit with the reality that you are now just a number. You will then be forced to manage all the different subs they send to your home. They have multiple customers unhappy and complaining. They meet every Tuesday morning to go over all projects. Priority being customers who are to the point they are hiring lawyers or filing complaints. They will then call you and apologize and make new promises which always lead to one place...Frustration, lack of follow up and multiple calls/emails to get them to get something done.

Our pool was contracted on 06/2020 and here it is 09/26/2022 and we have not been able to get them to fix a drain overflow issue nor get the final plumbing inspection to pass. Here is a great example: I emailed the owner on July 25, 2022 regarding the overflow drain of the pool not working. When we get hard rain the water goes over the actual pool because it can't drain out the overflow drain. Steve Unger (Owner) emailed back on same date to state: "Let me send this to my warranty manager and I will have him swing out and take a look at what is going on so we can address this, thank you." Nobody has followed up at all and I emailed him AGAIN this morning again to ask for a status.

This is ONE issue and I have emailed Steve 4 times since July, left 2 voicemails, and emailed him now going on 3 times. ****No Response At all**** This is ONE example. I looked today and on this one project (pool build)...I/my wife has emailed complaints 47 times about issues we have experienced trying to get our pool done. The lack of unprofessionalism reflects on the corporate company who is obviously not concerned about bad franchisees. A pool build is a very stressful situation to begin with. I would advise to never ever use this company for anything. Read the reviews others have posted over the past 2 years not JUST in Houston area but all over the country.

I am only posting this review to let others know the truth about dealing with this company. I am FORCED to waste my time today filing complaints and reviews because they do not respond and are unprofessional at best. Don't walk...RUN from Premier Pools. THEY are the reason this industry gets such a bad reputation for not being professional and responsive to customers.

Lastly,...check the BBB for Houston and you will find plenty more complaints as well as with the Yelp reviews. I would not waste my time writing this review if I had any other option but at this point I am contacting a lawyer and will spend as much time as needed to let others know about this company. If you hire them have a lawyer on file to use because you will need them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

This is the worst company you could use to build your pool. The disorganization and lack of accountability is mind blowing. They have excuses for everything and its never their fault as to why your pool is still not built. We are now sitting at day 10 with a completed pool but does it work? Who knows! The equipment finally arrived 8 days after the pool was filled. It's now connected but no one has come to start it up. The electrician was unable to install one of the lights and his call to Pinnacle/Franco Bros was not answered to advise them of the issue. All they say is he refused to install it which is not the case. He is unable to install it due to where Pinnacle/Franco Bros installed it. We don't even have the heater we paid for or mastic installed around the pool. Like how do you leave a partially newly built pool in this condition?

Now let's talk about the stagnant water that has algae and now mosquitos. They keep saying that's normal....ummm.....don't think it is. Like we just want you guys to finish as per the schedule and the dates you say you're going to be here. They never show or don't show or push dates out. Like why? Just finish! There is no reason you shouldn't have finished by now. For Your own sanity go with another company. Don't use this company to build your pool! Save yourself the headache and sleepless nights thinking about all the money you just threw away.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

We just finished our pool with Premier and couldn’t be happier! Dustin was our sales guy and he was great! He helped us get exactly what we wanted while staying in our budget. Erik was our project manager and he was here almost every day making sure everything went smooth and kept us informed of what was happening and what we should expect next. I’m very impressed with the work they did and the quality of our pool. I highly recommend Premier!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I have a terrible experience with this company. I'm sitting here September 2022 and my pool is still not done. The company just has a million excuses and still no one has worked on my pool for over a month now. They don't communicate with me. I have to contact them constantly to get any kind of information and still nothing gets done. I highly suggest going with a different company. We've been waiting for this pool for over 6 months now. Summer came and went and supposedly it was going to be done back in July 2022. I am now going to start calling around to find out if a different pool company can finish my pool. I'm tired of the excuses and I'm tired of waiting. It's way too much money to not finish the job but yet I'm still waiting.

Original review: July 25, 2022

Cameron was a great asset to us! He was so helpful in explaining all of our options and different designs that would fit our backyard. Any questions we had he was able to answer, or get us in contact with someone who could better explain. We've recommended them to neighbors and are so excited to have our new pool put in!

Original review: May 4, 2022

After speaking with a few different pool contractors and receiving some different quotes, we chose to go with Premier primarily due to the reviews I found online as well as the presentation they sent us about their business and the so-called prestige that went with it. In the beginning everything went very smooth. We were very pleased working with Jodi on the design and her knowledge and expertise was a huge help. We really liked how she presented us “menu” types of options based on our budget as well individual line-item fees for such features and options.

My father was a general contractor, so I know how construction goes and the fact that the construction industry is extremely busy right now with materials being scarce and costs going up. Therefore, I tempered my level of expectations on both the project and the completion date yet was super excited to get into our new pool!

As I mentioned before things were off to a good start. Then towards the latter half of the project is when things started to deteriorate. It really started with having a junior project manager assigned to our project that had absolutely no idea what he was doing. There were a lot of empty promises made and ignored requests which created problems that could have been easily avoided. Towards the end I didn’t even want him stepping foot on our property ever again. I understand that Premier needs to use sub-contractors to assist them in finishing the project and I feel they could have done a much better job as well.

This company has serious communication problems and a persistent “pass-the-buck” mentality. Their attention to detail was messy and to this day I am still scraping off the over-spray of concrete and plaster, removing chunks of concrete from my planters, and the final task of applying the clear coat on my BBQ counters took an additional 4 months after the job was finished. There was little to no follow up on equipment claim requests due to equipment failures and I had to keep badgering them to get things done. Of the people I have spoken with now that our pool is finished, I tend to hear the same complaints about Premier; bad communication, poor project management, and that all they care about is the money.

There were many frustrations towards the end and not once did the owner of the company reach out to us to offer any type of customer service, relief, or even a “thank you” for the massive amount of money we spent to have our dream pool and back yard. I am stoked now to be working with Pool Pros on our monthly pool maintenance and the fact that they can handle most of the warranty issues directly. I have submitted warranty claims on a few faulty issues and never once even got a reply from Premier which just flat-out sucks. Installing a pool is a lengthy, messy, expensive, and emotional process therefore I would not recommend working with Premier.

Original review: April 10, 2022

If I could give 0 stars I would. This particular location is in Plano, but they are a franchise mostly owned by a few people. This place is a dumpster fire of incompetence, from their internal staff lying, and messing up the legal documents, plans etc, to their countless careless sub contractors who aren't qualified to dig ditches much less build pools and construction projects. We are going on more than a year now for our pool project, (we were prepared for some delays, knowing many people who recently built pools and gave us heads up on pitfalls so we planned for them in advance.

We paid upfront for equipment and tiles and had them delivered before they broke ground, stored them in our garage so they couldn't say supply chain delays), then we had mishap after mishap, incredibly poor craftsmanship at every turn, property damage, theft of personal property by their sub contractors, damage to a brand new trampoline we had just purchased for our kids rendering it unsafe to use, damage to our new cedar fencing from their careless heavy equipment drivers, and zero accountability when issues are pointed out, over 130k paid out so far and over a year later they keep dragging their feet with only 1 days worth of work to be finished.

They dug our hole, and let it sit bare last spring during the rain season, then when it caved in multiple times, they said it was an act of God vs their negligence in not getting the gunite poured for over 4 months and tried to charge it back to our pool costs, contractors have damaged our driveway, our neighbors yard has huge visible dually tire ruts and destroyed lawn from their countless contractors driving over their lawn breaking water lines and sprinkler heads not even on our property, they broke concrete footings on our hvac equipment never fixed it, installed tiles upside down and laid incorrectly all over the place, came out and fixed it multiple times, each trip they made it worse, mismatching the grout, now visibly crooked, falling off again... cracked and failing grout everywhere, with gobs of mortar all over the surface and falling off, left boot prints all over the fresh salt finish concrete patio they laid, cement and gunite splatters all over the back of our house, all over our windows.

They've damaged our gutters' down spouts so bad we had to get them replaced, they destroyed our fence so bad taking it out to gain access to our yard they couldn't put it back together, the contractors for that came out 4x and made it worse with each trip. Booger welds, spray paint on my house, lost sections, they even cut off the once functional outdoor gate hinges and welded on interior house door hinges, we finally told them to stop destroying the fence and we'd hire our own contractor to come out and build a new one since between their mangling, careless "attempted" repairs" and lost parts, it couldn't be salvaged.

They dug holes and planted beams for our structure in the wrong spot 2x even after I showed them on their own plans they were doing it wrong, they buried unterminated drains during our final grade so drains couldn't empty and water would simply pool on our decking. Had to hire a landscaper to come fix them, We have had to escalate multiple times, our project manager while a nice, guy, is near impossible to have come out to the property to actually inspect the work he's supposed to be "managing", much less get our concerns actually addressed to several internal managers who were either indifferent, or plain rude, had one even yell at me on the phone because I was a "bad customer" for holding them accountable and then he threaten me.

Have literally dozens of unreturned calls for unresolved issues. We're now 6+ months past their "estimated" finish date, they have just the plaster and pool fill to complete, yet months have gone by and we've heard crickets.. It's just sitting empty besides all the trash their people left in it, and keeps filling up with nasty water to be drained with each rainfall, Keep contacting our PM and asking when the pool will be done.. He has no idea, has zero ability to get us scheduled... Again at the mercy of "sub contractors" who may just show up one day unannounced.

During this wait we've had the fence rebuilt, the entire yard re-plumbed for irrigation, re-sodded and plants installed and extensive landscaping done, all in less time than it's taken them to even get us scheduled for the plaster... DO NOT USE THESE GUYS... They claim to be the "Biggest Pool Company in the country" and it's a joke They changed their name from Premier to Pinnacle mid project which threw up tons of red flags, do some googling you'll see hundreds of recent complaints from pissed off customers, but we were already under contract so we're basically stuck, they sub out everything and have zero control, zero accountability and much of their internal staff is unreachable once you give them money.

I have hundreds of pictures of their incompetence, documented every bit of damage and communication of this damage to our property and our neighbors property even video where my cameras would catch them, even their contractors defecating and urinating in my yard and in bottles later found stuffed in corners of our property and in my cesspool of a hole that should be a functional pool by now. I fully plan to leave reviews on every site and include pics of all the issues where possible.

Original review: April 8, 2022

We started our pool and coordinating hardscape & landscape in August and here it is April and our project is still not complete. The design process with Jodi went well and the first few months we were pleased. If we had been asked to write a review in October it would have been 5 stars. However, the last couple of months have been the most frustrating encounter with any contractor we have ever had! We have owned 6 homes and each one we completely remodel, so we have dealt with quite a few contractors. Very poor communication - we have to ask for updates othwerwise none is given. Even when you ask for an update and a timeframe, you do not get a response or get a "canned" answer like "We will check on it" or "We put in a work order".

We have been waiting on an amended permit for a fireplace that was never added to the original fireplace. We cannot get final inspection and yet the inspector told them in December during the pre-plaster inspection it needed to be done. It should have been handled before the inspector even said it but still here it is 4 months later and still nothing. We have a Pebbletec repair that we have been waiting on since January. Getting the outdoor BBQ complete was like pulling teeth! Keep in mind they charge a premium on these other items like fireplace, BBQs, etc. of about 20% which we paid to "streamline" the process. It has been anything but streamlined! Our backyard looks great and pool looks good but their customer service is terrible.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

We used Premier Pools and Spas in NJ operate by husband Dickson ** and wife Allison **. This company was unprofessional all around. They will take your money and then become unresponsive to any of your questions or concerns. They damaged my property and denied any responsibilities. The entire process was a nightmare. Be careful with their reviews on Google as we came to find out afterwards that many of their positive reviews were written by themselves or subcontractors that they hired and work with. Unreliable and unprofessional summarize this company. If you are in the market for a new pool, look for another company who truly cares about your project and one that has the professional ethics to work along with.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

This is our experience with Premier Pools and Spa owned by Chip Rayburn. This company overpromises and underdelivers. Their ads and salesman promised to finish our pool in 6-8 weeks, as it is the standard for their local competitors. The salesman was initially responsive to our inquiries and provided references who highly recommended him; they were not specifically in the Bryan/College Station area but in the Houston area. We did not make a big deal of it and concluded that if the references were trustworthy, we were going to acquire a pool of similar quality to those offered by the local competitors plus it would be ready by early Summer (Several friends had highly recommended a couple of local competitors but the companies admitted to be very busy and already scheduled far beyond what Premier Pools and Spa claimed to be).

From all the five bids we requested, Premier Pools and Spa was the most expensive one; however, we decided to move forward with their contract as we thought that the extra thousand dollars were paying for earlier completion of the pool and the promising good customer service. Neither the customer service nor the anticipated timeline for the pool were achieved after signing the contract, and too late we realized how overcommitted this company was. Premier Pools and Spa took 18 weeks from excavation to plaster, at which point they considered the pool “complete”. Through the 18 weeks process, they were unresponsive and evasive to our questions regarding the schedule delays, although one time they accepted to be overcommitted and claimed a shortage of labor (it seemed their subcontractors often dropped the company projects at the last minute to attend other companies that paid better).

Premier Pools and Spa also underdelivered in the quality of the project. They caused several expensive damages to our utilities - but they protect themselves from liability in the contract. The deck was constructed close to the house foundation without proper expansion joints, as was promised during the sale. Due to lack of supervision, the plaster crew damaged the coping and installed the wrong color, with a rougher texture than the sample shown during the sale (the texture is so rough that often causes skin abrasions to my son and has damaged our bath suits). After the plaster error, they offered either a small refund or stripping the plaster. We were exhausted from dealing with them - at this point, 4+ months - and decided to go with the refund and save us from more damages.

For several work orders, due to their lack of responsiveness, my husband simply decided to get them done himself, including cleaning construction debris and food trash from subcontractors, compaction of soil pre-decking, installation of the fence, etc. In the end, we were willing to put up with all of that and get it done but once they give us the refund, we did not hear from them anymore despite multiple calls, texts and emails. We signed the contract in February and 8 months later they have not even done a proper City inspection for the final approval.

The last straw - and the main reason to rate 1-star - is when the owner of the company, Mr. Rayburn, called me after an honest review I left in one of their facebook ads, to stop me from writing any review. More details about this incident in their facebook page reviews (**). Overall, we truly advise to stay away from this company.

Premier Pools and Spas author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Premier Pools and Spas have over 25 years of pool-building expertise. The company specializes in luxury pools and custom-designed pools.

• Extras: Premier Pools and Spas offers plenty of extras, such as slides, Acapulco shelves, beach entries and more.

• Reputation: The company has been recognized for its work in Pool and Spa News' Top 50 Builders list.

• Nationwide: It has a nationwide network of builders that can help clients all across the country. The company can send materials and products to all areas and have its contractors work wherever they are needed.

• Experience: It has been in business for over 25 years and worked with thousands of customers.

• Remodeling: In addition to custom building, Premier Pools also remodels existing pools to help pool owners, both commercial and residential, redesign pools into something more attractive.

Premier Pools and Spas Company Information