2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.89/5

Pergo Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2020

Began installing Pergo Extreme LV plank today. Several hours later, I gave up. The first thing I noticed was these thin white and blue plastic strips falling off of them. Turns out that they are part of the edge that "snaps" together with the next piece. Obviously the poor quality and construction of Pergo LV planks makes it impossible to handle the planks without losing these pieces. They should be glued to the plank...not just stuck in a groove where they VERY EASILY fall off. Not to mention how very easily the locking edges get damaged. Just routine installation handling or removing them from their box damages the locking grooves.

I've bought and installed discounted flooring from a 'seconds' wholesaler that was leaps and bounds MUCH better quality than Mohawk Pergo. It's been installed for over two years now and looks like it did the day I installed it. I'm not even going to attempt to file a claim with Mohawk Pergo. But I will be fighting this with my retailer. Unacceptable, low quality, disappointing from such a long-time company.

Pergo response

Hello Joe, this is Laura with Pergo. I'm very sorry to hear about your installation experience. If you'd like additional guidance on installing the flooring, please feel free to contact the Mohawk Technical Services team at 888-387-9881, option 3. However, I understand you may not wish to install, and I apologize again for your experience.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Pergo seems to be pretty much cardboard covered with a thin film of some kind, a cheap, not-quite-plastic material. (Yes, I purchased the upgraded version). It will chip, it will rot and disintegrate pretty easily around an entryway. I had to take the matching quarter round trim off (it had disintegrated) and I replaced it with PVC. Also some of the planks have separated from each other, which may be an installation issue. As the big box store recommended, I paid to have floor leveler poured (before the Pergo was to be laid) but the installer said leveler would crack over time and I'd be better off to just install the Pergo without it. I trusted his judgement, stupid me.

About 15 minutes after the installer finished, his office called to get my official review. A fifteen minute old floor looks great and nothing has had time to go wrong yet, so I gave it a good review. Stupid naive me! Next time an installer's office asks me if I'm satisfied my answer will be "I'm not sure...call back in a year". I recommend potential buyers of Pergo buy or borrow a sample and look carefully at the edge, or cross section. Stick a pin or a pointy object in. Wet it some, and dry it, just like a real floor has to endure. See what you think. I'll bet you'll buy something else. Oh, I can't add photos right now due to Covid 19 travel restrictions (Pergo is at my Jersey shore home).

Pergo response

Hi Michael, I'm Laura with Pergo, and I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your flooring. If you believe the flooring has not met the terms in its warranty, you can have your retailer file a claim with Pergo on your behalf. The warranty for your specific floor will be available on the Pergo website. I apologize again for your experience.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Have spent decades working in condominiums, the Author has had occasion to see various types of home decor in everyday use. Wherever failures were noted, they were remembered. With respect to Pergo flooring, it was noted that where high heels were worn, the laminate sometimes failed on some corners. High heels represent a relatively high loading per square inch. These same types of shoes can dent or mar real wood flooring as well. Recently in a Big Box store, without knowing how it happened, the author noted the same corner failure as noted where the product was in actual use.

Pergo response

Hello Thomas, I apologize for your experience. If you find minor dents or dings in your flooring, they can be repaired with Pergo finishing putty. I apologize again for your experience. Laura with Pergo

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I purchased Pergola max, showing a Great Dane in it durability advertising. Not true! Everything that hit the floor create some sort of dent or chipping, poor finish, not resistant to liquids. Even a very minute amount of liquid creates an bubbling of the finish, very disappointed with this product. My wife and I are the only occupants of this household. We thought we were purchasing a quality product, no true! This particular flooring is a product of China. We wasted our hard earned money on inferior product. Can’t recommend Pergo products!

Pergo response

Hello Fred, I'm Laura with Pergo, and I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your floors. If you believe that your flooring is not meeting the warranty, please ask your store to file a claim with Pergo on your behalf. Filing a claim is something the store must do for you. If you need to review the warranty, you can find it here on the Pergo site -

For Pergo Max Premier laminate: https://na.pergo.com/flooring-warranties?tab=laminate

For Pergo Max Hardwood: https://na.pergo.com/flooring-warranties?tab=hardwood

I apologize again for your experience! Laura with Pergo Flooring

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Do not purchase this flooring! When I started having issues with this, I went online and found hundreds of complaints. This is their MO blaming the customer for their terrible product! Their flooring sucks! If you have an issue with it they blame you and will not honor their warranty! The report from their so called inspector is bogus. I purchased my Pergo flooring online and had it installed. I noticed the flooring looked damaged, but I wasn’t sure if what I saw online may have been different than what I received, so I took some photos and sent to customer service and ask if this is damaged? They replied with yes you need to make a claim.

I made no claim of cracked or peeling flooring. I only said it looked like seconds. What a complication it has been to make a claim. I had to drive forty miles to the nearest Home Depot store because Mohawk will not to to customer directly. When I got there no one knew how to put in claim. I left my information with them and a few days later was contacted. I was ask for planks which are already on the floor. Then they sent a man out to inspect the flooring. He did not want to talk to me, and anything I ask him he would say he could not answer because he would get fired. I knew at that point he was only there for show and most likely the claim would be denied.

He took pictures of my dust mop and my thermostat, my insulation under my house, and my house! I only had the flooring for less than a month! He loosened a plank near the closet and now that area is parted at the seam. Nothing he did had anything whatsoever to do with the flooring in the same condition it was in when it came straight out of the box. I had nothing to do with the issues with the flooring being seconds and sold to me as retail. The report said it was improperly installed, not true! The flooring came out of the box from the factory in this condition. It has been nothing but a hassle to deal with this. Now I have to pay someone to repair what your inspector damaged!

Pergo response

Hi there, this is Laura with Pergo. I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your floors. If you will respond privately with your name and 7-digit claim number, I can ask the Mohawk Consumer Affairs team to look up your claim and advise next steps. I apologize again for your experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pergo?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Bought Pergo xp about 8 months ago and every seam that gets a little water or moisture swells. We bought this product because of the dog commercials seeing how tough it was supposed to be. Went back to the store and they said we don’t recommend this product anymore. It's all vinyls now they said. Buyers beware. Pergo will not stand up to any kind of water or moisture from mopping or tracking in snow.

Pergo response

Hi Jerry, I'm Laura with Pergo - I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. If you believe that your flooring is not meeting the warranty, please ask your store to file a claim with Pergo on your behalf. Filing a claim is something the store must do for you. If you need to review the warranty, it's located here on the Pergo site - https://mohawk.blob.core.windows.net/pergo/pdfs/Pergo_XP_Warranty.pdf I apologize again for your experience.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Not alot to say except there were maybe 7 pieces of the flooring that actually locked together. 13 hours later and 7 boxes, we have one row down. I bet anyone would have the same issue we are. Maybe we got a bad batch? "Lowes asked". "We could load it up and take to the store to see if their flooring techs can do it." Really? It's not that complicated. Tap it in if it doesn't go right together. Lol.

Pergo response

Hi Carie, I'm Laura with Pergo - I'm very sorry to hear about your installation experience. Please feel free to contact our technical services team at 888-387-9881, option 3, for any questions regarding installation. I apologize again for your experience.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I purchased Pergo laminate flooring for my living room, kitchen, dining room, playroom, entryway, and hallways. After 2 years my floor is falling apart. There are scratches everywhere, the color is almost completely gone from the thresholds. The color that is left on the thresholds is white and the rest is metal. The thresholds are so loose that my 2 year old son picks them up and brings them to me. The actual flooring is scratched and has deep gouges in it. The top laminate is also beginning to peel right off of the floors leaving the "wood" exposed. The floors swell so bad my pantry door won't close.

Lowe's opened a claim on my behalf, but since they only guarantee the work for one year they sent the claim to Pergo who has denied me saying I have water damage. My house has been thoroughly inspected and I do not and never have had any major leaks. We even replaced our front and back doors during the same time as the floors were being installed. Pergo refuses to talk to me directly claiming they will only talk to Lowe's on my behalf and Lowe's says they will only file one claim on my behalf and will not do any appeals. This is the worst 7,000$ I have ever spent.

Pergo response

Hi Bridgett, this is Laura with Pergo - I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your floors. If you could let me know your claim number, I will ask our Consumer Affairs team at Pergo to look up your claim and advise next steps. I apologize again for your experience.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

100% true and honest review! Installed Pergo Portfolio. Wet Protect Technology. Waterproof Natural Park Hickory Laminate in my living room. 250 sq. ft.

Pros:
      1: After preparing my floor, installation was easy (I am a skilled trades worker just to note) and finished in 1 work day. Did the project alone...
      2: Not 1 damaged plank in any of the boxes I ordered. 15 in total.
      3: Felt pads under all feet of furniture and tables. 80 lbs. Pit Bull and no scratches as of yet with no area rugs.

4: Left a few cut pieces outside in the rain for 2 days (just to see what would happen. because I do live in a state wit all 4 seasons) and it hasn't warped or bubbled til now.

Cons:

1: Floor occasionally creaked (just from settling I'm sure, but not from walking across it) after install.

Conclusion:

Loving the look of the floor (wish we could post Pics here)! I will try to update this review after 6 months...

Original review: May 21, 2019

We purchased Pergo Max flooring for our living room, kitchen, dining room and down our hallway to the bedrooms. Worst mistake ever!! We only purchased this flooring over others due to the salesperson explaining how it was the best product for having animals around the house. We have had nothing but trouble with the flooring bubbling up, scratches all over and starting to peel. We have spent over $7000 on the flooring and had Lowe's install the product. Not only is their product junk. Their customer service isn't too great either. We even purchased the extra warranty to have just in case. Waste of money!!!

Pergo author review by Joseph Truini

Pergo developed plastic-laminate flooring, with the first flooring produced in 1979. It is the largest laminate flooring manufacturer in the United States and also produces solid hardwood and engineered hardwood floors.

• Installation: Pergo encourages DIY installation, which is greatly simplified by the flooring’s easy click-lock design. However, if you’d prefer to hire a professional installer, Pergo retailers will help locate a certified installer in your area.

• Samples: While consumers must visit retail partners either online or in-person to make purchases, they can order samples for a fee from the Pergo website. Visit a retail location to see the flooring in person.

• Four-color printing process: Pergo is one of a few companies that uses four-color printing for its decorative graphic sheet designs on laminate. The result is vibrant, true-to-life wood grains, patterns and colors.

• Hardwood variety: Hardwood selections include chocolate oak, handscraped heritage hickory, antique natural oak and slate oak.

• Laminate selections: Bourbon Street oak, bainbridge oak, crestwood tile, chateau maple and Winchester apple are just a few of the nearly 130 choices in laminate flooring offered by Pergo.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Pergo Company Information