PECO Energy Company

Stars Rating

• 9%
  • 91%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PECO Energy Company?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PECO Energy Company?

Reviewed Feb. 21, 2024

I have been a Peco customer for over 20 years. Recently found my dream new residence. Over the past 2 weeks have been unable to start/stop my service due to the company making account changes. How is it possible this can happen. Option #`1: they have the worst IT department, they should have known this was going to happen it how it would effect the entire state of PA. If that be the case the entire IT department should be fired. Option #2: The upper management has completely mishandled the problem and doesn't seem to understand how much this is affecting their loyal customers. I only hit 1 star for my experience because there was not an option to hit zero stars. Is anyone else experiencing the insanity that I am.

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2024

Peco took a double payment out of my checking account and stated they could not return it and that I could request a paper check but that would take time. They seemed to not care at all. They suggested I just let it go and it would come off my next bill. And they could not guarantee another double would not happen so I had to stop online bill paying.

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2024

Yesterday had a full day without power for “planned maintenance” (they never told us about it). Power came back on with low voltage. Heat, water heater, oven, stove, microwave all won’t work because there’s not enough power. Called them last night and got the “We’ll send someone over as soon as we can.” Nobody showed up.

Today they showed up at around 10:00am because the main office and a bunch of other people called (I live in an apartment complex; the whole building is like this right now) and they did precisely nothing. They got out of their trucks, looked at the where the underground power box would be if they had enough motivation to do their job and dig it up and said “it’s definitely this box.” 30 minutes later, after doing nothing about it, they left. It’s been an hour since then and they haven’t been back, nor have I heard anything from them. In other words: PECO sucks. A power company that can’t figure out how to supply power correctly is the same as a car that can’t drive: completely useless. You would have a better time banging your head against a brick wall than dealing with this company.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 2, 2024

Every time I have an issue with my bill and I call and I talk to a representative they either tell me that there is nothing they can do or if they are nice enough to help me and I think that my situation was resolved. Then the next time I call it's a completely different story and they tell me I was given wrong information but they don't do anything to rectify the situation or honor the information I was told originally even if it was wrong. The representatives read off of like a script. When they don't have an answer for you all they can say is "I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do" and then proceed to read your bill balance back to you.

They are constantly trying to find new ways to charge you deposits and my due date has changed four times in the past year and then they want to be on you about making on time payments. Not to mention their online billing information is never up to date you will get one amount there and a different amount when you call the automated thing about what you owe. When you talk to people it's not like an office that you're calling their call centers that are all over so even if you get the person's name and tell the next person that you talk to so and so they have no clue who that person is. Absolutely no consistency with the company at all.

Reviewed Dec. 24, 2023

Experience worst ever, Christmas without power, no heat with two toddlers in the house, for two days only promises, till office is close for Holidays, Automated answering pay your bills, screw you Peco with your service.

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2023

I called the customer service line and the worker was so rude. Her name was Ashtin. I asked her how much I have to pay. I wanted to know what was the total amount that I have to pay but then she asked me to provide my address and I provided my address and the full name also the phone number on the account but she was sooo rude and she asked me to provide her the account number and I told her that I don’t have the account number. That’s the reason why I am calling but she didn’t understand me and she told me that she could not do anything. It was a terrible experience. She didn’t helped me at all.

Contract & TermsPricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2023

I am on the deferred payment plan. Obviously I have financial hardships hence the reason why I got behind in my bills in the first place. They put you on this deferred payment plan when you're threatened to have your electric turned off for not being able to pay the entire balance, they tell you in this agreement that if you're late you're subject to a security deposit of the amount of a monthly bill. You agreed to this because at the time you have no other option it's either that pay the entire balance or have your services shut off. However it's unrealistic to pay your bill exactly on time every month, especially when my due date has changed several times in the past year. There is no grace. There have been times when I have been almost a weekly and didn't get charged any security deposit, and there's been the time I've been late just over the weekend and they're charging a deposit.

The deposit is equal to an entire month electric so then when you get your next bill it's double. And when you're already struggling it's like taking three steps back instead in the back. I do not understand how security deposits can be charged if your service is not been shut off the point of a security deposit is to hold a month but they do not give you your security deposit back unless you pay 12 months without being late they don't tell you if there's a grace period for what they consider being late. And then they will consistently charge deposit fees while still keeping your old deposit fee.

I do not understand how this is even legal. On top of this they are still charging late fees on your bill so they are collecting late fees and deposits. I think it's more reasonable to just charge a higher late fee and no deposit people are never getting out of the hole so long as this keeps happening to them every time they finally get their pass through balance now it's like they do not want you to get ahead.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2023

We recently smelled gas in our basement. Got through immediately and the responder told us clearly how to avoid immediate danger while we waited for assistance. Said help would arrive within the hour. Not 20 minutes later, Damian arrived! He was thorough and correctly assessed that the problem was coming from my neighbor's property, with whom we share a wall (twin houses). We alerted my neighbor, who had inadvertently turned a stove knob and didn't know it because she was ill upstairs with Covid. Damien's astute and accurate diagnosis may truly have saved her life (and potentially ours). We cannot say enough about this wonderful technician and PECO's entire response to this matter.

Reviewed Oct. 3, 2023

Tried calling their customer service line but constantly being disconnected before I can even talk to anyone. Horrible service, power is always going out and nobody answers phone to ask any questions.

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2023

Our power has gone out 14 times in the past year and 4 times in the last week due to underground cables. We lost all our food costing us hundreds of dollars and PECO did nothing. They don’t care about their customers. They are clueless. They have been digging up the neighborhood lawns and making a mess. Like any other large company, they think they can screw you and get away with it.

Reviewed Aug. 29, 2023

I called PECO 3 times and let them know that if the trash truck comes it will take down the wires and when I called they said someone is coming and no one came at all so they don’t care about the people's safety.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2022

Peco representatives could use additional training with helping customer solve problems instead of passing us from one representative to another. This year 2022 Peco decided to raise our rate and whether your bill was current, they still send you out a shut-off notice and insist that you pay the new increase all at once or they will shut your electric off. This company need a serious overhaul.

Reviewed June 1, 2022

I have 5 children. We moved in with their cousin. He had back up bills. We have been trying to help. I called to get CAP to help with his electric on April 18th. And since then they haven't helped. They haven't done anything but lie and say they don't have income information, my children information. That's a lie! I have 50 emails and 48 faxed receipts proving I have sent it all. Someone ain't doing their job. And it's now June 1st and still nothing. Even the supervisors don't do anything. I'm from Maryland. At least the electric company did their job.

Reviewed March 23, 2022

My father lived by himself and had passed away in 2019. His house is in foreclosure process. But I’ve been trying to close out his Peco account which is still in his name. I’ve emailed them, called them, sent them his death certificate. And they electric is still running and fees are accumulating on his account. They will not get a penny from his estate because there is none. There was no probate and no will. The CS reps continue to tell me that the account will be closed. But there are bills still being mailed with past due balances. Not sure it’s so hard to close an account?? And why they continue to lie to me about it being closed. Not to mention the last time I called the lady transferred my call while in the middle of my conversation. Very Rude and disrespectful employees.

Reviewed March 9, 2022

I've called them twice about a potential gas leak causing my rates to soar through the roof and both times the people on the phone tried to argue with me about it's cold that's why your bill is 5 times higher. But I purposefully had the heat turned off to save in the winter because this isn't my first time using natural gas and I get nothing but people yelling at me telling me they aren't able to send a tech because I disagreed with the bill when the whole point of me calling was to have someone check to see if there was a leak or something wrong with the pipes.

The first call the person hung up, the second call I had to hang up. No one there has any ability to comprehend or prove to me anyone there is competent. Literally choose anyone else if you can for a service provider. After 6 years of using them I'm going to do my very best to get them out of my life. The worst, literally worst. No help, just getting yelled at and told you are wrong even though you just have a concern. STAY AWAY.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2021

We have been trying to get PECO to take action towards reviewing our house for a solar install since April. It is now November. They have not only done nothing, but they after many calls to various people and departments, they lie about what they are supposedly doing, then nothing happens. They are liars and thieves and do not care about their customers whom given them piles of money over the years. If I could give them 0 stars I would.

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2021

I can never get a hold of them. I keep calling, waiting for a representative and after 30 to 40 minutes it hangs up. This has happened too many times. When I do get somebody on the phone they give me a completely different story than the last person, but each swears their info is correct and not the other. I've been told I have 5 days to pay because they typed a shutoff 10 days ago... How am supposed to know that. Why wouldn't it take effect the date it was received? That's not a 10 day notice then is it? I have also been spoken down to which is new for me but I suppose they're so big the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2020

PECO was suppose to come out between 12pm-5pm to turn on my meter so I can get hot water & heat in my new place. They come at 8am! I would never tell them to come in the morning as it’s freezing and I have to drive an hour to be there. So now I have to wait 5 days till the next appointment! PECO???!

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2020

We (and all of our neighbors) were notified that our power would be out for 6 hours from 8 am to 2 pm today on September 14th for maintenance and upgrades. The power never went out and the scheduled work was never performed. Many people spent a lot of time preparing for this scheduled outage. I am a teacher teaching from home every day. Electric and internet are essential in this environment. I spent several hours breaking down my home office and moving it to an alternate location for the day.

After teaching all day, I had to pack it all up again and move it back home. Several others were in similar situations. It was apparently all for nothing and we interrupted our lives, and then the work was never performed as the power never went out at all. After all the phone calls warning that the power would be out all day, not even a single courtesy call the day before saying the work could not be done as scheduled would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief. That is not an acceptable way to do business.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2020

Every time we lose service it takes days to be restored. I report the outage with no feedback! Eventually I check in and it gives estimated restoration for days later with no description of the problem. Next they typically restore prior and let us know a day later that they did this. PECO just sent crews to Florida to react to tropical storm when they are completely incapable of handling anything on a local basis! I have a condo in Florida and get up to the minute status reporting on outages! No right to treat customers this way and should be penalized for its incompetence!

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 8, 2020

PECO couldn’t care less about its customers. The robot always answers the phone. Do they even have employees? Service seems limited to collecting bills. After a recent storm my power and my neighbors’ was out for over 4 days. Peco was not prepared at all to restore power. Try living for four days without power for refrigeration, cooking, washing & drying clothes, internet, cell, vacuuming, lighting (living in darkness after 8 p.m.), air conditioning in 90 degree weather, alarm clock, etc. PECO should have to pay for our lost food, eating out, taking clothes to laundry and even loss of enjoyment of everyday activities. They cost us and many others a lot of dough because of their ineptitude. That’s the power of a monopoly. We have no other choice but to use the biggest loser called PECO!

Reviewed June 7, 2020

Very unhappy with PECO. Lost power Weds midday... End of Saturday night and still no power. Told every day that it will be ready that night at 11pm and then nothing. Date gets pushed back again and again. Now new date is Sunday June 7th 11pm. Just giving another sense of false hope. There are still many unhappy people in the area without power. This is ridiculous. More resources need to be put on this. PECO should have been better prepared. What a total disappointment!!!

Reviewed June 4, 2020

I lost power almost 24 hours ago and there is still no crew scheduled to fix it, and the estimated fix time is MULTIPLE DAYS from now. Peco does NOT care about their customers and has awful customer service.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2019

On Thanksgiving morning at around 9am 2019, I heard the transformer blow out on my street. The whole block was out and my wife was just about to put turkey in oven. I called the PECO emergency line. Around 9:30am I stepped out to get coffees from Dunkin Donuts around the corner. I got back around 9:45am and as I pulled into my street, I noticed a PECO truck parked at the transformer. I honked at the technician as he was in his truck, he rolled down the window, I said, "I'm the one who called. I think the fuse blew out." He said "it's already back", then winked.

I swear, as he winked I noticed a Halo around his head, LOL, JK! I thanked him (actually wanted to hug him) and wished him a Happy Thanksgiving because he saved our Thanksgiving, Thank you to that technician (wish I knew his name) and thank you PECO ENERGY, who came out and fixed an outage within an hour on Thanksgiving Day, unheard of!!!!!

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2019

I have never dealt with such a horrible company. I called them three weeks before my move to inform them of changing my service over. They assured me that everything would be ready on time. I close, go into my new home and there is no gas. I contact them and there is a lock on the meter and after two days of going back and forth with them and getting different stories every time I finally on Saturday get an appointment for the next Friday. I wait all week in the cold and of course no one shows up or calls on Friday. After an hour of fighting with them I now have to wait until Monday when it's going to be very cold all weekend. Thank you for making buying my dream home such a nightmare.

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2019

Called to open an account in both mine and my wife's name. Customer rep cut me off immediately and just transferred me without permission to a third company that tried to sell me some random warranties. Is this a joke? Have not been treated this crudely by customer service ever. Nice welcome to PECO. Maybe I should switch to propane electric.

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2019

Why is PECO threatening to shut off electricity when I have not missed a billing cycle? My bill was due September 4th and letter was dated September 17th. If shut off, I will be required to pay an unspecified reconnection fee. Is this how PECO is bleeding the middle class?

Reviewed June 10, 2019

Out of the blue I'm in collections for owing PECO $525.00. I have no knowledge of this account and I have received no correspondence with any details as to how this amount came about or what this is regarding. Why do I have to dispute this charge and have my credit score go down? Why doesn't PECO have to prove I am responsible for this first? Bad business!!!

Reviewed April 16, 2019

Live power lines laying in my yard. Been waiting 2 days for PECO to fix them. Horrible service. I have called twice. This is very dangerous and can cause a fire. Had a storm and high winds that knocked them down. Cannot even let dogs out.

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2019

Apparently I missed my payment due to a move to another state, when I found out I immediately paid full amount over the phone. I was then sent a threat of turn off 2 weeks after paying if I didn’t pay their assess deposit of 385.00 because I was late, essentially they want 385.00 to hold for 12 months! My bill I was late for was under 200. They hold the money for a year as they stated to me as punishment! I am reporting to Public Utility Commission to report this horrendous practice.

PECO Energy Company Company Information