4.52/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

21 Benjamin Moore Paints Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Have always used BM paint. Not sure I will be using them anymore. This paint was so bad and this was recommended for my desk. This left a satin finish, certainly not high gloss. Now I have to paint it again, and that is after priming it and three coats of paint. The paint is chipping. This is horrendous. I got all of the products together with the assistance of a BM paint shop owner. So disappointed!

Original review: March 27, 2018

It's the only brand that I use and it's easy to clean and the colors stay bright and bold for a very long time. Dries fast and clean, and doesn't fade or run. A lot of colors to choose from & many different types that include take home samples kid-friendly and pet-friendly ingredients and colors.

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I selected this brand because it was recommended to me. The brand delivers on what it says its product will do for my home. The paint is awesome and leaves your home looking like new. It is perfect for my home. It has awesome variety of colors that makes your home feel welcoming and the texture of the paint is perfect, neither too thick or light. I have been using this brand for over 5 years and never had a issue with their paint. They are the best one out there.

You do not need to give it more than two coats to get the right color on your walls. I use to use another brand and I always had to paint my walls like four or five times till it got the color right on my wall. Sometimes you don't even need to put the primer on your walls before painting with Benjamin Moore. That's how good the brand's paint is for your home. I paint the inside of my home like every year because I get bored easily of the colors or just want a color to match my new furniture.

They have perfect colors for the children's room as well. The paint does not stink up your house and dries within minutes of painting. Does not leave splotches on your wall neither. You will not regret buying this brand of paint. I highly recommend this brand to anyone that wants to repaint the inside of their home. Their prices are very fair and you will want to come back for more. To even paint the outside of your house. So go out and buy this brand. You will love it for all your painting needs.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Great quality paint. It was fresh and not watery. I also liked the way the paint glided on to the way from the brush so smoothly. This is all the signs of a good paint. It was awesome. But the price I paid was too high. I wish I had comparison shopped. Benjamin Moore needs to be more competitive and more consumer friendly in today's competitive market. Overall, I had a very good experience with my paint. It still looks great in my dining room and in my living room. It is still very clean. When there are marks on the wall, it cleans off very well.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This brand is competitively priced, easily found in numerous stores and provides a variety of colors. It also covers well, has a variety of features and is available for a number of different types of projects, both indoor and outside. I have used it to paint interior walls and also used their outdoor paint to paint window frames. I like the fact that it is reliable and it works just as well as much higher priced paints. It completely met my expectations by applying easily, without streaks and stayed on well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Benjamin Moore Paints?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I liked the overall quality and durability of this paint. The price was nice and it seemed to me that this paint would go well with the in home project that I wanted to do. It has my approval and I don't really think there is anything that needs to be changed or improved with this brand of paint. I like that the paint has a non stick coat so I can easily wipe messes of because I have a child. With this feature I can always maintain cleaner walls and not have to worry about the work being too tough for me to clean.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have used this brand before with wonderful results. My home is very old and we painted over some really old paint and this product works extremely well. Paint goes on smoothly and evenly, easy cleanup, and beautiful colors. This is a long lasting product that is very low maintenance and the color never seems to fade. But the smell is a bit strong. The cans need built in pour spouts too. Also, they can maybe have more color choices. I sometimes have a problems finding the exact shade I want with this brand.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Selected Benjamin Moore because it is high quality and has a wide range of color options that is top of the line. There is a color for all decorating needs. I like how Benjamin Moore categorizes its paints in to different classes. For example, Traditional, transitional, etc. I also love how the website allows you to see the paint on the walls of your living room on its interactive website. The paint is made of high quality materials and covers the walls very well. It covers the walls well with one coat, but two coats is key. But being of highest quality, the cost per gallon of Benjamin Moore paint is high. If the price was lower, it would allow others to consider the product for their paint needs.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Went to Home Depot and the choice was easy. The Benjamin Moore display at the store was eye catching. The colors were beautiful and interesting. The paint was easy to use on the walls and I enjoyed painting with it but I spent more than I was planning. It was more expensive but better quality than the other paint company. But it all worked out well.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My experience with this paint was excellent and it met all my expectations for the project I had. I was able to coordinate colors with the help of the store representatives. Bold colors went on smoothly and usually covered with one coat even with the sun shining on the walls. The paint does not drip when using a roller and it does not fade but it is scrubbable. The cost of the paint is quite high but, I continue to go with this brand for the qualities mentioned above.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Benjamin Moore offers high quality paint for the price point. This brand offers many colors in multiple finishes. I also like the longevity of this product. I have used this brand many times before and it continues to meet or exceed my expectations. The consistency of the paint continues to be the same. My experience has been very good.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

After I had a bad experience with Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore Paints was recommended to me by a professional and it performs better than Sherwin-Williams. I painted a house with it 5 years ago and still looks great. I restore old houses and it works well on older wood mouldings. However, maybe they could offer more colors or a paint for different surfaces. But, I'm very pleased with the product performance.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Benjamin Moore Paints has vibrant color and wide variety of selection custom paint colors I like. They have exclusive custom paint that you can create on your own. It really gives it a special touch. They should maybe add paint with texture so it can stand out. It would really improve paint idea and design. I like the way the colors come through. It works and makes me feel like the paint is one of a kind. I had so much fun painting my space. This brand is very different from other brands.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My kids and I loved the color of the Benjamin Moore Paints. There were many colors I was able to choose from. We painted the entire house with that color and it was easy to apply on the walls and easy to clean up too. The color was great. Didn't have to do many coats to get the right color. And when I wipe the walls paint doesn't come off with it. However, I wish it would be available in more stores. It's only available in 1 store here.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I went searching for a white, modern looking paint at my local department store and Benjamin Moore seemed to be the best one they had. I initially selected this brand because it was the easiest thing I could find and it has no lead. So far, I have not regretted it. It functions well, looks nice, nothing wrong. Although this may not be the paint's fault, it is constantly cracking which is annoying. My upstairs neighbor is constantly having construction, which is the reason for these cracks appearing so I suppose this means it could be a little more durable. However, it works just as I intended it to and is long lasting.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

It is the best paint that I have ever used and I am loyal to Benjamin Moore paint. It is easy to clean when dry. It is thick enough that you don't have to put on ten coats of paint. It comes in a lot of attractive colors. It's not too expensive to buy. It is quality paint. I really like Benjamin Moore paint but they could make it cheaper or sell it at more stores, like Target or Walmart. I would buy paint there because I already shop at Target on a weekly basis so it would be more convenient for me if I could buy paint at Target. However, it exceeded all of my expectations and I will continue to purchase this paint when I need to paint a room or when I need to paint multiple rooms in my home.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This had the colors I was looking for and it show what also goes with the color. It covers really good and I can pick it up locally so it makes it easy to have if need more. If I get it local they mix it up right there in the store. It was also in our price range. I really like this brand and I would buy it again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Love this brand very much because quality is amazing and color matches description. But it can be a bit costly at times especially when painting large rooms. Other than that these are the best brands I've ever bought. Very good experience. I would definitely purchase this brand again and would recommend to friends and family and would also post on Facebook.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The paint brand was great and the store as a whole already has a great reputation. My local store was fast, friendly, and provided exactly what I needed with little fuss. I like the fact that it had the color I wanted and I found my color with little trouble as it was already in the can. It did not require any mixing to find my color. But I dislike the fact that the size I wanted was not available. I wanted a gallon, but the only size there was a half gallon, so I had to buy two extra cans to have enough paint for the job I was doing.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Very easy to apply, dries quickly and the smell was not strong. I have a handicap but overall it had better qualities than paints I had used in the past. The color went on good. I painted the whole room quickly. The price was also great and I saved a lot of money using this brand over others. I was also not worried when I spilled some. It was easy to clean up with soap and water. Also, the hardware store was never out of stock when I ordered more and the clerks matched it very easily at my request. My friends and family decided to repaint rooms in their house because of my choice. But I would like an easier opening top going on with one coat. Would of been much easier rather than 2 coats. The smell was also stronger as it dried. I hope that can be improved.

Original review: April 28, 2011

I bought some Benjamin Moore paint years ago, and it was like water. Must put 4 coats on the bedroom walls, and it just wouldn't cover. I tried to bring it back and all I got was a "no we can't do that" response. I haven't purchased that junk since and will not ever. I had to go and purchase other brand of paint to finish the project.

A very good paint is Pittsburgh Paint, it doesn't spatter and goes on with one coat. Buy it from Menard's, if you got trouble, bring it back for a new amount, or your money back

Benjamin Moore Paints expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

A premium paint brand that manufactures its own resins and proprietary colorants for a unique, long-lasting product. It has always sold its paints through authorized independent retailers.

• Available products: Benjamin Moore has one of the broadest selections of paint and stain types available. The company specializes in unique products like Aura® Bath and Spa Paint, a bathroom paint with a matte finish; eco-friendly options like Natura®; and specialty paints for front doors, vinyl siding and exterior trim.

• In-store color matching: Benjamin Moore was the first company to offer color-matching services. You can bring in any sample color and have it matched by the company’s color experts. For instance, you can match your paint to your favorite sweater, a photo from a magazine or anything else you can dream up.

• Paint recommendations: If you’re not sure which Benjamin Moore paint is best for your project, check out the product matcher on the company’s website. You just click which room or exterior surface you’re painting, and the matcher recommends the best product for the job. You can also search by color family or color collections.

• Benjamin Moore paint colors: Use the innovative Color Capture app to quickly snap a pic of any object and find a color match suggestion among Benjamin Moore’s paints. The app works with iPhones and Androids.

• Where to buy Benjamin Moore paint: Benjamin Moore products are available only at independently owned authorized retailers. Use the website’s store locator tool to find a retailer near you.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Benjamin Moore Paints Company Information