1.40/5
Based on 73 reviews that contain star ratings

130 Oster Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

Oster TSTTV0000 Countertop Oven. Was warming up my oven to cook a pizza. Noticed it was smoking and assumed it was dirty. Checked and the smoke was not coming from the inside of the oven, but from the right vents at the controls. There was an awful smell of electrical burning. We unplugged the unit and are looking frantically for the receipt.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I started using my brand new Oster toaster oven model TSSTTVDFL2 about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I put a pita bread to toast. In a few seconds before even being toasted yet, the whole toaster oven went on fire. What a scary image. Luckily it was on a Sunday and my husband was home. He ran to the kitchen when he heard my screams and was able to take the burning toaster oven out of the house.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

Purchased an Oster TSSTTRJ80T in May 2015. Product quit functioning in August 2015 since the lever will not stay down. Tried 3 outlets in the house just in case, same result each time. Oster warranty process is not worth your time. They contract repairs to small ships, which would be great if the nearest shop wasn't 500 miles away. This model toaster gets good reviews... but not from me. Oster as a whole gets a negative review from me.

Original review: July 28, 2015

Oster Extra Large Digital Toaster Oven Model TSSTTVXLDG - I purchased this oven from Amazon (new, not a refurb) in January 2014. I used it only a handful of times and noticed that it took forever to heat up. The unit never really seemed to heat up the way it should. Broiling took forever. Now suddenly the oven won't heat up at all. The clock still works great, but as far as being able to cook with it, that's history. What an expensive paperweight. I guess I was lucky, at least it didn't catch on fire like many of them I read about here. I will never buy a product from this company again.

Original review: July 22, 2015

Purchased Oster electric kettle Model BVSTEK5967 in December 2013 and it has stopped working. I had a toaster that broke as well and was able to have it replaced by Costco. The kettle was purchased at Target and since all stores are closed can't contact them. I will not purchase any more Oster products. Can you help me with this problem regarding the electric kettle?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster?

Original review: July 19, 2015

Oster countertop extra large convection oven. All of a sudden stopped working. Will not get warm, and the timer will not ding. $85, eleven months ago from Sam's Club. Prior to that, I was thrilled with the product.

Original review: July 11, 2015

Purchase this microwave a year and a half ago. Worked well during this time. Was using it to heat up an item and the microwave started to spark. When I attempted to stop the microwave I received a violent shock. When I opened the microwave up where the fan vent into the microwave it had burn marks all around the vent. Upon examining the microwave could not see why this microwave was sparking. There has never been any metal or any other items that are not approved to be used in the microwave ever utilizing this microwave. Very disappointed in this product.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I pushed the lever down to toast some bread and returned to find the toaster engulfed in flames. The lever had not popped up to stop the toasting process and flames were licking my cabinets. When I unplugged the toaster, the fire did not diminish. I carried the flaming toaster outside and as I did so, it was literally melting--dripping liquid black plastic onto the counter, floor, and rugs. The amount of damage to my kitchen is extensive.

Original review: June 23, 2015

Purchased the oven at a local DIRT CHEAP store. The knobs for selecting your usage and temp selections was missing. I called the Oster appliances number which I looked up online. I was told that since I bought it at that type of store (a re-sale type store) that they could not help with selling replacement knobs. The lady I spoke with tried to say that it was used merchandise. I explained to her that they sell items purchased from Walmarts, Targets and etc that have been bought at close-outs, all new items. She said they could not provide replacement parts since it was purchased under those conditions. I can not believe that this company and the manufacturer of this product does not offer this replacement part. I did not want this given to me, but to buy them.

Original review: May 23, 2015

I purchased a 2 slice Oster toaster that never toasts evenly on both sides. One slot toasts on one side and the other slot toasts the opposite side. I always have to flip the bread around to toast the other side. I would never recommend this product to anyone!

Original review: April 17, 2015

On 4-15-15, purchased an Oster toaster oven model # TSSTTVDFL1 from Walmart. When using it for the first time, the fan was so noisy we had to take it back for a refund. On 4-16-15 we went to target and purchased Oster model TSSTTVSKO2. We made some brownies and they came out burned. Purchased a oven thermometer and with the oven set to 350, the oven temperature went to 450. No wonder the brownies came out burned. I can understand a little temp difference but this is not acceptable. Oven will be going back to target tomorrow. With all the complaints I've been reading about fires with these ovens, I won't be purchasing any more Oster ovens.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2015

We have had our Oster toaster oven (TSSTTV0000) since 2011. It had worked fine until now. Fortunately we've had no fire. Now the timer won't shut off the appliance at all. Even when you unplug it the timer keeps running and defaults to the "stay on" position. I will be writing to CPSC, UL and fire safety organizations.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2015

Oster Countertop Oven Model # TSTTVRB05. Do NOT buy this POS... After slightly more than a year's use this thing caught fire, and it appears that Oster is well aware of this issue as it is noted in several of the comments above. I cannot believe that they would continue to foist this and other POCs' on the consumer!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

Oster Toaster Oven - Burned my hand several times when opening the door because of a chrome strip directly behind the handle.

Original review: July 26, 2014

Just purchased Countertop Toaster Oven Model TSSTTV0000 at Target. I followed directions and ran it for 15 minutes before use. The handle is SO HOT! It is a safety hazard!! Am returning it to the store. I cannot believe Oster would actually have a product that is so dangerous!! My fingers are still burning! It should be removed from the market. DO NOT purchase this, especially if you have children.

Original review: July 4, 2014

I purchased an Oster toaster oven model #TSSTTVMNDG on April 18, 2014. I went to use it a few days ago and nothing happened. It would not heat and not of the pressure points on the oven worked. I called the Oster people and I was told since I purchased it on eBAY, they would not honor my 1 yr. warranty. The toaster oven was brand new when I got it and I only had it for 3 months. I do not have anything nice to say about Oster and I will never purchase another Oster product and I will inform my friends and family also not to purchase any Oster products. If I had known the warranty would not be honored just because of eBAY, I would have gotten it at a retail store. It should not have broke down within a 3 month period. I am disgusted, angry and very upset.

Original review: May 17, 2014

I purchased the toaster oven model TSSTTVF816 and in month it set on fire. It was clean, I had just revised it and threw out the crumbs on the bottom which there really were not any and then I put in a wrap. It was on the top of the toaster so nothing was touching the bottom. I stepped out of the kitchen and literally a minute later, I smelled burnt. When I went to my kitchen, it was on fire. In panic, I opened the door and flames shot up and I instantly closed the door, unplugged it and threw it in the sink. Then ran water over it and it shut it out. It was a horrible experience. I burned 1 finger, my husband three. I'm just glad we caught it on time otherwise I would have lost everything. I will never buy Oster again!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2014

On August 8, 2013, I purchased an Oster food processor 003426445122 for $69.00 at Walmart 3200 Old Boynton Road Boynton Florida 33436. I had purchased a less expensive brand earlier in the day and when I got it home it didn't work so I returned it to Walmart a distance of 10 miles from my house. I upgraded to the Oster food processor and asked an employee if I could test it before I left the store. She said I could so I went to the customer service counter and unpacked the main part of the machine and plugged it in. It worked fine so rather than repack it up I decided to remove the remaining parts from the Styrofoam packing.

As I was taking out one of the very sharp blades, the thin plastic sheathing that covered the blade slid off causing a 3 inch deep cut into the heel of my right hand. I started bleeding all over the floor and the store manager had someone try to stop the bleeding and soon realized I needed emergency medical attention. He had me taken by ambulance to Bethesda hospital 10 minutes away where they gave me 13 stitches and a Tetanus shot. I was told to return in 2 days to be re-evaluated. On that second visit it was recommended that I see an orthopedic surgeon, "just in case there was serious damage", which there wasn't.

I notified Walmart's main office through my attorney of the expenses I incurred. Their response was to take it up with the Oster company. I decided to let it pass but I have been getting many harassing notices for the outstanding charges I owe. Beginning with a $250.00 ambulance fee, hospital fees of $65.00 and $51.82 for 2 visits, and the surgeon's fees for 2 visits for a total of $86.91. I have decided to notify you to see if you will assume the responsibility since I feel the dangerous way the blades were packed was neither my fault nor Walmart's. I am sending to your office photos of my wound as it looked that night, also photos of the way the unit was packaged, since I returned the open unit for an unopened unit and my lawyer took photos of each piece as I unpacked it and how it was packaged. Also a copy of the original purchase receipt and the payment notices I have received for several months now...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2013

Oster Digital Countertop Oven Model #TSSTTVDFL1 - Purchased 4/29/13. On 7/14/13 - less than 3 months of occasional use, a giant Hiss & I looked over at Toaster & flames were shooting out the rear. Acrid fire smell lasted in the house for 2 days. Do NOT purchase this product as looking at the reviews/complaints, the Fire Hazard is noted well more than several times.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2013

Large size unit, great looking. Worked for 19 months before quitting. Turns on for 2 or 3 seconds before stopping. Holding start button results in a rapid on/off with relays engaging/disengaging. Fuse okay, all 4 heaters start warming, disconnected oven temp sensor, same results. Without schematic further troubleshooting useless. Went back using an old Krups toaster oven that's over 10 years old. So much for today's technology.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2013

Purchased an Oster Home Microwave Oven for wedding gift for friend. They didn't get married so it's been in storage in my attic since. My old microwave stopped working so I brought the Oster down and plugged it in. Mind you, it had NEVER been used. The first time I used it, it tripped the breakers and had to secure the line with the Oster being the sole user of the line. Next, heated a TV dinner and the dinner heated first half, took it out and stirred the food, put it back in and the microwave wouldn't heat and caught on fire.

The case of the microwave was extremely hot and the glass turntable was hot as well. I unplugged it and cleaned the inside of it - of fire residue. There was nothing to clean except for the fire residue. I waited for it to cool off and plugged it back in and put the dinner back in to continue cooking it. The microwave won't heat now. I mean, it turns on, lights up, turntable spins, but no heat. I've checked both fuses and they are fine. I suspect the magnetron is fried, but I no longer care to trust this machine, as the fire was scary. My kids deserve better products than a fire hazard in their home, so we will throw it away and purchase a G.E. product - old faithful.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

$40 toaster broke after 18 months. The lever won’t stay down (and yes, it's plugged in). I would have been better off with an $8 toaster had I known I would not get a lot of use out of it. This is not rocket science nor a complicated appliance. There is no excuse for a mid-priced toaster to break after minimal use. Looks like this is an on-going issue with Oster.

Original review: July 31, 2013

Thermostat broke and vendor cannot supply parts. There should be a law that they must supply parts for a certain period of time. Do not buy Oster!!!!

Original review: July 8, 2013

Let’s start with the consequences - possible radiation contamination. I purchased this microwave about a year ago. I started noticing burn areas. Then today while cleaning, I noticed the right bottom corner at the opening was melted and warped. Naturally, you wonder if radiation has been leaking. Purchased at a local supermarket outlet (HEB).

Original review: June 28, 2013

Four months ago, I purchased an Oster Convection Oven at Costco. The first few times, it operated beautifully. Two weeks ago, I put in a casserole - set the timer switches and, five minutes later, heard a faint PFFT - and the coils changed from red indicating hot to black. It is not the cost; it is the principle that a product should last longer than four months.

Original review: June 17, 2013

I bought an Oster coffeemaker in November of 2011, and now it doesn't work. Very disappointed that it only lasted a little over a year and a half. I have another coffee pot we've had for at least 15 years and it still works. I bought the Oster because I thought it was a good product and would last longer than a year and a half. Guess I will go for another name brand product.

Original review: May 29, 2013

Toaster Oven - The door handle came loose and fell off. Upon examination, the screws holding the handle cannot be tightened because the two screws (heads) are under the glass cover. It looks like they forgot to drill holes in the glass door to allow access to the screws to tighten the handle.

Original review: March 27, 2013

The oven toaster does not have a separate control for toast. To toast, you just turn the oven to 450 which is odd. To turn off the toaster/oven, you turn the timer switch counter clockwise to off. The next stop on the switch is Stay On. It is very easy to go past Off and turn the switch to Stay On. In fact, it has gotten to the point where it is hard to stop on Off. It takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to stop on Off. I have accidentally turned it to Stay On several times. Today, it got so hot it melted the cord connecting it to the outlet. Even though it still works, I am going to throw it out.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2012

After a harrowing experience with a small kitchen fire in our home, I have come to find that there are numerous other complaints about the Oster 6058 and 6059 toaster ovens causing fires. Our toaster oven had given almost flawless service for about a year, until this point. The fire, without a doubt, was caused by our Oster 6059 toaster oven. After some research and simple detective work, I have come to know that it was Made in China and that Oster still has not recalled the product after 71 complaints that I can see. Most of the complaints are about flames shooting out the back (not from within the cooking compartment). After numerous attempts to reach them, Oster has not expressed interest in our damages or any type of compensation. I feel, in short, a class action suit is in order, before someone is injured or dies. Where is the "Universal Labs" government agency, that UL listed product testing lab that tests these products? Are they taking kickbacks or just asleep at the switch?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2012

Deep Fat Fryer Model CKSTDFZM70 - This item was received as a gift in August 2010. It was used less than a dozen times, when the on-off knob came off while it was in use. We were able to unplug the unit, so we did not sustain any damage other than the loss of the food that we were attempting to prepare. However, upon examining the knob, we determined that the connection had melted from the heat given off by the unit while it was on. This was a perfect example of poor workmanship on the part of the manufacturer. We now have an unusable piece of equipment and have added Oster to our list of companies to avoid when making future purchases.

Oster Appliances Company Information