Oster Appliances
Based on 59 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Oster Appliances

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 2, 2017

116 Oster Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 26, 2014

Just purchased Countertop Toaster Oven Model TSSTTV0000 at Target. I followed directions and ran it for 15 minutes before use. The handle is SO HOT! It is a safety hazard!! Am returning it to the store. I cannot believe Oster would actually have a product that is so dangerous!! My fingers are still burning! It should be removed from the market. DO NOT purchase this, especially if you have children.

Original review: July 4, 2014

I purchased an Oster toaster oven model #TSSTTVMNDG on April 18, 2014. I went to use it a few days ago and nothing happened. It would not heat and not of the pressure points on the oven worked. I called the Oster people and I was told since I purchased it on eBAY, they would not honor my 1 yr. warranty. The toaster oven was brand new when I got it and I only had it for 3 months. I do not have anything nice to say about Oster and I will never purchase another Oster product and I will inform my friends and family also not to purchase any Oster products. If I had known the warranty would not be honored just because of eBAY, I would have gotten it at a retail store. It should not have broke down within a 3 month period. I am disgusted, angry and very upset.

Original review: May 17, 2014

I purchased the toaster oven model TSSTTVF816 and in month it set on fire. It was clean, I had just revised it and threw out the crumbs on the bottom which there really were not any and then I put in a wrap. It was on the top of the toaster so nothing was touching the bottom. I stepped out of the kitchen and literally a minute later, I smelled burnt. When I went to my kitchen, it was on fire. In panic, I opened the door and flames shot up and I instantly closed the door, unplugged it and threw it in the sink. Then ran water over it and it shut it out. It was a horrible experience. I burned 1 finger, my husband three. I'm just glad we caught it on time otherwise I would have lost everything. I will never buy Oster again!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2014

On August 8, 2013, I purchased an Oster food processor 003426445122 for $69.00 at Walmart 3200 Old Boynton Road Boynton Florida 33436. I had purchased a less expensive brand earlier in the day and when I got it home it didn't work so I returned it to Walmart a distance of 10 miles from my house. I upgraded to the Oster food processor and asked an employee if I could test it before I left the store. She said I could so I went to the customer service counter and unpacked the main part of the machine and plugged it in. It worked fine so rather than repack it up I decided to remove the remaining parts from the Styrofoam packing.

As I was taking out one of the very sharp blades, the thin plastic sheathing that covered the blade slid off causing a 3 inch deep cut into the heel of my right hand. I started bleeding all over the floor and the store manager had someone try to stop the bleeding and soon realized I needed emergency medical attention. He had me taken by ambulance to Bethesda hospital 10 minutes away where they gave me 13 stitches and a Tetanus shot. I was told to return in 2 days to be re-evaluated. On that second visit it was recommended that I see an orthopedic surgeon, "just in case there was serious damage", which there wasn't.

I notified Walmart's main office through my attorney of the expenses I incurred. Their response was to take it up with the Oster company. I decided to let it pass but I have been getting many harassing notices for the outstanding charges I owe. Beginning with a $250.00 ambulance fee, hospital fees of $65.00 and $51.82 for 2 visits, and the surgeon's fees for 2 visits for a total of $86.91. I have decided to notify you to see if you will assume the responsibility since I feel the dangerous way the blades were packed was neither my fault nor Walmart's. I am sending to your office photos of my wound as it looked that night, also photos of the way the unit was packaged, since I returned the open unit for an unopened unit and my lawyer took photos of each piece as I unpacked it and how it was packaged. Also a copy of the original purchase receipt and the payment notices I have received for several months now...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2013

Oster Digital Countertop Oven Model #TSSTTVDFL1 - Purchased 4/29/13. On 7/14/13 - less than 3 months of occasional use, a giant Hiss & I looked over at Toaster & flames were shooting out the rear. Acrid fire smell lasted in the house for 2 days. Do NOT purchase this product as looking at the reviews/complaints, the Fire Hazard is noted well more than several times.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2013

Large size unit, great looking. Worked for 19 months before quitting. Turns on for 2 or 3 seconds before stopping. Holding start button results in a rapid on/off with relays engaging/disengaging. Fuse okay, all 4 heaters start warming, disconnected oven temp sensor, same results. Without schematic further troubleshooting useless. Went back using an old Krups toaster oven that's over 10 years old. So much for today's technology.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2013

Purchased an Oster Home Microwave Oven for wedding gift for friend. They didn't get married so it's been in storage in my attic since. My old microwave stopped working so I brought the Oster down and plugged it in. Mind you, it had NEVER been used. The first time I used it, it tripped the breakers and had to secure the line with the Oster being the sole user of the line. Next, heated a TV dinner and the dinner heated first half, took it out and stirred the food, put it back in and the microwave wouldn't heat and caught on fire.

The case of the microwave was extremely hot and the glass turntable was hot as well. I unplugged it and cleaned the inside of it - of fire residue. There was nothing to clean except for the fire residue. I waited for it to cool off and plugged it back in and put the dinner back in to continue cooking it. The microwave won't heat now. I mean, it turns on, lights up, turntable spins, but no heat. I've checked both fuses and they are fine. I suspect the magnetron is fried, but I no longer care to trust this machine, as the fire was scary. My kids deserve better products than a fire hazard in their home, so we will throw it away and purchase a G.E. product - old faithful.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

$40 toaster broke after 18 months. The lever won’t stay down (and yes, it's plugged in). I would have been better off with an $8 toaster had I known I would not get a lot of use out of it. This is not rocket science nor a complicated appliance. There is no excuse for a mid-priced toaster to break after minimal use. Looks like this is an on-going issue with Oster.

Original review: July 31, 2013

Thermostat broke and vendor cannot supply parts. There should be a law that they must supply parts for a certain period of time. Do not buy Oster!!!!

Original review: July 8, 2013

Let’s start with the consequences - possible radiation contamination. I purchased this microwave about a year ago. I started noticing burn areas. Then today while cleaning, I noticed the right bottom corner at the opening was melted and warped. Naturally, you wonder if radiation has been leaking. Purchased at a local supermarket outlet (HEB).

Original review: June 28, 2013

Four months ago, I purchased an Oster Convection Oven at Costco. The first few times, it operated beautifully. Two weeks ago, I put in a casserole - set the timer switches and, five minutes later, heard a faint PFFT - and the coils changed from red indicating hot to black. It is not the cost; it is the principle that a product should last longer than four months.

Original review: June 17, 2013

I bought an Oster coffeemaker in November of 2011, and now it doesn't work. Very disappointed that it only lasted a little over a year and a half. I have another coffee pot we've had for at least 15 years and it still works. I bought the Oster because I thought it was a good product and would last longer than a year and a half. Guess I will go for another name brand product.

Original review: May 29, 2013

Toaster Oven - The door handle came loose and fell off. Upon examination, the screws holding the handle cannot be tightened because the two screws (heads) are under the glass cover. It looks like they forgot to drill holes in the glass door to allow access to the screws to tighten the handle.

Original review: March 27, 2013

The oven toaster does not have a separate control for toast. To toast, you just turn the oven to 450 which is odd. To turn off the toaster/oven, you turn the timer switch counter clockwise to off. The next stop on the switch is Stay On. It is very easy to go past Off and turn the switch to Stay On. In fact, it has gotten to the point where it is hard to stop on Off. It takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to stop on Off. I have accidentally turned it to Stay On several times. Today, it got so hot it melted the cord connecting it to the outlet. Even though it still works, I am going to throw it out.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2012

After a harrowing experience with a small kitchen fire in our home, I have come to find that there are numerous other complaints about the Oster 6058 and 6059 toaster ovens causing fires. Our toaster oven had given almost flawless service for about a year, until this point. The fire, without a doubt, was caused by our Oster 6059 toaster oven. After some research and simple detective work, I have come to know that it was Made in China and that Oster still has not recalled the product after 71 complaints that I can see. Most of the complaints are about flames shooting out the back (not from within the cooking compartment). After numerous attempts to reach them, Oster has not expressed interest in our damages or any type of compensation. I feel, in short, a class action suit is in order, before someone is injured or dies. Where is the "Universal Labs" government agency, that UL listed product testing lab that tests these products? Are they taking kickbacks or just asleep at the switch?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2012

Deep Fat Fryer Model CKSTDFZM70 - This item was received as a gift in August 2010. It was used less than a dozen times, when the on-off knob came off while it was in use. We were able to unplug the unit, so we did not sustain any damage other than the loss of the food that we were attempting to prepare. However, upon examining the knob, we determined that the connection had melted from the heat given off by the unit while it was on. This was a perfect example of poor workmanship on the part of the manufacturer. We now have an unusable piece of equipment and have added Oster to our list of companies to avoid when making future purchases.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2012

I purchased a model OTM1101VBS microwave oven at Real Canadian Superstore in Duncan BC Canada in 2008. This unit was manufactured in 2007. It worked well until about three months ago when it turned on by itself in the middle of the night. The part that came on was the convection heating element. I was lucky that I had to get up to let the dog out or it could have caused a fire. When I told the store about the problem, they said to contact Oster as they do not stock their products anymore. I wrote to the company. After a year, I still have had no reply. I will never buy another Oster product and will recommend that all my friends do not buy from them either. It is amazing how a company like them can get away with the way that they treat customers. Very bad business practice.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

Two weeks ago, I came home from a long week at work and proceeded to start dinner. I put two pieces of English muffin in the model 6309 Oster toaster and set the thermostat on medium low. I was pre-browning them to make garlic toast to go with the pasta I was starting. I went into the living room to wait for my water to boil. The next thing I know, a rolling cloud of smoke is pouring down the hallway from the kitchen. Racing back there, I discovered that the toaster had malfunctioned and the toast was completely burned to charcoal. All the functions of the toaster had quit working. I couldn't get the temperature knob or the cancel button to do anything. I had to force the lever up to eject the burnt nuggets from the slots.

Meanwhile, my neighbor (I live in a 6-unit apartment building) was frantically pounding on my door and ringing the doorbell, convinced that the building was on fire as there was that much smoke. It took over a week of Febreze and open windows and doors to air the smoke out of my home. I have never in my life experienced a complete malfunction of an appliance like this before. My grandmother owned one toaster for most of her adult life without experiencing any problem. This thing could have not only gutted my unit, but could very well have burned the entire building down, possibly even injuring or God forbid, killing me or my neighbors.

No appliance, not even a toaster, should be put on the market without some sort of safety feature that would prevent this sort of thing from happening. I will never have an Oster product in my home again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2012

I went online to see if there were any recalls on Oster products. Sad to see all the complaints. Well, mine is their electric can opener purchased 6 months ago. The metal bracket holding the blade broke. Even though it only cost me $39.99, I expected it to last a couple of years. Had one years ago, and it lasted me 10 years. Now things cost more and made cheaper. And they don't care.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

The toaster release lever did not release automatically. It had to be forced to the up position to retrieve my toast. The toaster never turned off. I guess because after returning to my home 5 hours later, it had completely melted and burned up. My house was filled with smoke and soot as well as melted plastic into my granite counter tops and blackened cherry wood cabinets and ceiling!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2012

I bought a battery-operated dog trimmer. I put an AA battery in it, it would not touch the connection at the negative terminal, was built for what looked like an AAA battery which is not meant to run on. I e-mailed Oster and they told me they knew of the problem, "You are right, the negative connector is improperly placed" is what they told me. I should use a screwdriver to pry the connector to make contact, return it to the store I purchased it at, or mail it to Oster and they will correct the problem. Here is a company that knowingly made a product that doesn’t work and is still selling them. I could not believe the e-mail when I got it.

Original review: July 4, 2012

Several years ago, I purchased the Oster Food Steamer, which is nice. But the lettering began to come off even with mild cleaning products. I can barely read anything on the appliance: temperature settings, name of the product, etc. I see that the Steamer is made in China. My friends warned me about such purchases. What kind of "cheap" paint do they use?

Original review: June 6, 2012

Oster Toaster Oven TSSTTVMNDG - This is the large toaster oven with touch controls. Just after one year of light use of the touch controls, which are pressure pad switches, it stopped working. I tried to get a new pressure pad and/or control unit, and was informed that there are no internal parts sold for this appliance. This is the ultimate in planned obsolescence, and a great pity, since the appliance is quite well-built otherwise. I purchased another brand with manual controls, which are replaceable if they wear out.

Original review: May 3, 2012

Oster food processor model # 3320, I reached in to take the blade out and it flipped on by itself. The lid was not on and the button was not being pushed. The safety mechanism failed.

It sliced half way through my finger. I required 9 stitches. I own a house cleaning company and I could not work for 3 weeks which equaled to thousands of dollars in lost wages. I now have permanent nerve damage in my finger and scar. Oster has not helped me with any medical bills, lost wages or a refund on the product. This happened 4 months ago. I filled out all required paper work and sent everything in and have received nothing but the run around.

Original review: April 2, 2012

The Oster stainless toaster oven (model 6058-126-001) stopped working (no visual display). I tried finding a service center (emailed Oster) only to find out the "** thing" was made in China and there is no service repair centers (i.e. no replacement parts). The Oster Brand is "** because I bought what I thought was a "brand name" toaster oven. Shame on you, Oster, for screwing customers. You turned a good brand name into one of the cheapest brands on the market.

Consumer warning: when you buy a new appliance and it works for less than one-year you, better know if you can fix it or toss the appliance in the trash because Oster never designed the appliance to be repaired. Thanks Oster and China, you to deserve each other. You are nothing but a bunch of "trash" dealers preying on the USA consumers.

I believe that if Oster has cheapened its product line to improve better bottom line figures, they do not have the consumer's best of interest in mind when it comes to product reliability. What good is Oster's low price if and when your product(s) breaks within a year or less? If I could sue Oster without bankrupting my retirement, I would sue for not informing customers how Oster has hidden their customer service policies by not informing the public or making customers aware pre and post sales of the fact that Oster products built in China were never intended to be repaired locally through USA service centers. Oster, shame on you. I'll bet our landfills are full of your crappy products.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

I received it as gift and right away doesn't work. It appears as a very large paperweight in my family room. Excellent piece of junk. Thank you Oster!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2011

Toaster caught fire for no reason. I lost my whole kitchen because I was upstairs sleeping at the time. I lost everything I owned in the kitchen. Most of my belongings throughout the house were ruined from smoke damage or from the firefighters tearing through it. I had to move out of my apartment witch was declared uninhabitable and was homeless for 3 months. On top of it all my landlord kept $1000 from my deposit for "fire Damage".

Original review: Oct. 11, 2011

Just made some toast and was eating when the toaster caught fire. I had no idea the toaster was on fire until fire alarms went off. I normally keep the toaster unplugged when not in use. I thought I had enough time to eat before unplugging. It could have been a big fire if I was not home.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2011

I have the same complaint as others posted about the Oster 12 bottle wine cooler, model OWO912H6H. It was a Christmas gift from the kids. There was no receipt and the unit died after 6 months. I am hoping to have an electronics friend figure out what's wrong. It's not a blown fuse as most others have posted.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2011

I bought the model 6081 Oster toaster oven for Christmas for my husband. Up until today, we had no issues with it. However, this morning I placed the settings on toast and the timer on medium toast. I went into the other room to get the phone, fully expecting the timer to go off when the toast was ready. Within a matter of minutes I smelled something funny. I walked back towards the kitchen and the whole kitchen, living room and dining room was filled with smoke and flames were coming out of the door or the oven reaching the cabinet. The fire was so bad I had to call the fire department. My house has suffered some smoke damage, but no burn damage. This happened within 5 minutes because I was getting ready for work and watched the clock carefully. So the fire department looked at it. The timer got stuck and did not go off and this is what I reported to Oster who I called immediately after the firemen left.

We had a total loss of $65.00 for toaster oven on sale, had to wash all fabric, drapes, pillows, comforters, and steam clean carpets. We also had to scrub down the cabinets. We may have to replace all drapes.

Oster insists the toaster be returned to them for evaluation of cause of fire. I said, “No, I will take it to my own technician who will be unbiased.” They said they'd send me a free new toaster oven, even one that was digital. “No,” I said. I have had toaster ovens for years and never had this happen. I do not want another Oster, but I do want my house cleaned and damages paid for. I give them an "F" rating on solving serious customer problems.

Oster Appliances Company Information