1.40/5
Based on 72 reviews that contain star ratings

129 Oster Appliances Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

Two weeks ago, I came home from a long week at work and proceeded to start dinner. I put two pieces of English muffin in the model 6309 Oster toaster and set the thermostat on medium low. I was pre-browning them to make garlic toast to go with the pasta I was starting. I went into the living room to wait for my water to boil. The next thing I know, a rolling cloud of smoke is pouring down the hallway from the kitchen. Racing back there, I discovered that the toaster had malfunctioned and the toast was completely burned to charcoal. All the functions of the toaster had quit working. I couldn't get the temperature knob or the cancel button to do anything. I had to force the lever up to eject the burnt nuggets from the slots.

Meanwhile, my neighbor (I live in a 6-unit apartment building) was frantically pounding on my door and ringing the doorbell, convinced that the building was on fire as there was that much smoke. It took over a week of Febreze and open windows and doors to air the smoke out of my home. I have never in my life experienced a complete malfunction of an appliance like this before. My grandmother owned one toaster for most of her adult life without experiencing any problem. This thing could have not only gutted my unit, but could very well have burned the entire building down, possibly even injuring or God forbid, killing me or my neighbors.

No appliance, not even a toaster, should be put on the market without some sort of safety feature that would prevent this sort of thing from happening. I will never have an Oster product in my home again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2012

I went online to see if there were any recalls on Oster products. Sad to see all the complaints. Well, mine is their electric can opener purchased 6 months ago. The metal bracket holding the blade broke. Even though it only cost me $39.99, I expected it to last a couple of years. Had one years ago, and it lasted me 10 years. Now things cost more and made cheaper. And they don't care.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

The toaster release lever did not release automatically. It had to be forced to the up position to retrieve my toast. The toaster never turned off. I guess because after returning to my home 5 hours later, it had completely melted and burned up. My house was filled with smoke and soot as well as melted plastic into my granite counter tops and blackened cherry wood cabinets and ceiling!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2012

I bought a battery-operated dog trimmer. I put an AA battery in it, it would not touch the connection at the negative terminal, was built for what looked like an AAA battery which is not meant to run on. I e-mailed Oster and they told me they knew of the problem, "You are right, the negative connector is improperly placed" is what they told me. I should use a screwdriver to pry the connector to make contact, return it to the store I purchased it at, or mail it to Oster and they will correct the problem. Here is a company that knowingly made a product that doesn’t work and is still selling them. I could not believe the e-mail when I got it.

Original review: July 4, 2012

Several years ago, I purchased the Oster Food Steamer, which is nice. But the lettering began to come off even with mild cleaning products. I can barely read anything on the appliance: temperature settings, name of the product, etc. I see that the Steamer is made in China. My friends warned me about such purchases. What kind of "cheap" paint do they use?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oster?

Original review: June 6, 2012

Oster Toaster Oven TSSTTVMNDG - This is the large toaster oven with touch controls. Just after one year of light use of the touch controls, which are pressure pad switches, it stopped working. I tried to get a new pressure pad and/or control unit, and was informed that there are no internal parts sold for this appliance. This is the ultimate in planned obsolescence, and a great pity, since the appliance is quite well-built otherwise. I purchased another brand with manual controls, which are replaceable if they wear out.

Original review: May 3, 2012

Oster food processor model # 3320, I reached in to take the blade out and it flipped on by itself. The lid was not on and the button was not being pushed. The safety mechanism failed.

It sliced half way through my finger. I required 9 stitches. I own a house cleaning company and I could not work for 3 weeks which equaled to thousands of dollars in lost wages. I now have permanent nerve damage in my finger and scar. Oster has not helped me with any medical bills, lost wages or a refund on the product. This happened 4 months ago. I filled out all required paper work and sent everything in and have received nothing but the run around.

Original review: April 2, 2012

The Oster stainless toaster oven (model 6058-126-001) stopped working (no visual display). I tried finding a service center (emailed Oster) only to find out the "** thing" was made in China and there is no service repair centers (i.e. no replacement parts). The Oster Brand is "** because I bought what I thought was a "brand name" toaster oven. Shame on you, Oster, for screwing customers. You turned a good brand name into one of the cheapest brands on the market.

Consumer warning: when you buy a new appliance and it works for less than one-year you, better know if you can fix it or toss the appliance in the trash because Oster never designed the appliance to be repaired. Thanks Oster and China, you to deserve each other. You are nothing but a bunch of "trash" dealers preying on the USA consumers.

I believe that if Oster has cheapened its product line to improve better bottom line figures, they do not have the consumer's best of interest in mind when it comes to product reliability. What good is Oster's low price if and when your product(s) breaks within a year or less? If I could sue Oster without bankrupting my retirement, I would sue for not informing customers how Oster has hidden their customer service policies by not informing the public or making customers aware pre and post sales of the fact that Oster products built in China were never intended to be repaired locally through USA service centers. Oster, shame on you. I'll bet our landfills are full of your crappy products.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

I received it as gift and right away doesn't work. It appears as a very large paperweight in my family room. Excellent piece of junk. Thank you Oster!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2011

Toaster caught fire for no reason. I lost my whole kitchen because I was upstairs sleeping at the time. I lost everything I owned in the kitchen. Most of my belongings throughout the house were ruined from smoke damage or from the firefighters tearing through it. I had to move out of my apartment witch was declared uninhabitable and was homeless for 3 months. On top of it all my landlord kept $1000 from my deposit for "fire Damage".

Original review: Oct. 11, 2011

Just made some toast and was eating when the toaster caught fire. I had no idea the toaster was on fire until fire alarms went off. I normally keep the toaster unplugged when not in use. I thought I had enough time to eat before unplugging. It could have been a big fire if I was not home.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2011

I have the same complaint as others posted about the Oster 12 bottle wine cooler, model OWO912H6H. It was a Christmas gift from the kids. There was no receipt and the unit died after 6 months. I am hoping to have an electronics friend figure out what's wrong. It's not a blown fuse as most others have posted.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2011

I bought the model 6081 Oster toaster oven for Christmas for my husband. Up until today, we had no issues with it. However, this morning I placed the settings on toast and the timer on medium toast. I went into the other room to get the phone, fully expecting the timer to go off when the toast was ready. Within a matter of minutes I smelled something funny. I walked back towards the kitchen and the whole kitchen, living room and dining room was filled with smoke and flames were coming out of the door or the oven reaching the cabinet. The fire was so bad I had to call the fire department. My house has suffered some smoke damage, but no burn damage. This happened within 5 minutes because I was getting ready for work and watched the clock carefully. So the fire department looked at it. The timer got stuck and did not go off and this is what I reported to Oster who I called immediately after the firemen left.

We had a total loss of $65.00 for toaster oven on sale, had to wash all fabric, drapes, pillows, comforters, and steam clean carpets. We also had to scrub down the cabinets. We may have to replace all drapes.

Oster insists the toaster be returned to them for evaluation of cause of fire. I said, “No, I will take it to my own technician who will be unbiased.” They said they'd send me a free new toaster oven, even one that was digital. “No,” I said. I have had toaster ovens for years and never had this happen. I do not want another Oster, but I do want my house cleaned and damages paid for. I give them an "F" rating on solving serious customer problems.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2010

Many customers have complained about the Oster OWO912H6H wine chiller quitting on them, and not being able to get help from the company. The same happened to me, so I decided to investigate the problem myself. What I found is a blown fuse on the circuit board that was stopping the cooling fan from circulating air across the heat sink. Without a way to bleed heat off of the circuitry, the wine chiller can't cool. The fuse is hardwired to the board, so I clipped it off with my wire cutters, and took it to Radio Shack to purchase a replacement. Using my soldering iron, I soldered the new fuse in place, and now the wine cooler chills wine just fine. Too bad Oster sucks as a company and forces its customers to resort to fixing appliances themselves.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2010

I purchased at Costco 3 weeks ago. Was pre-heating last night to 350 degrees and the door just randomly shattered to pieces. Thankfully, we were on the other side of the room and the animals were outside. In our conversation with Oster, they are happy to replace but don't seem to be addressing the problem. We're going to take it back to Costco and let them know. Perhaps they'll take some action with the manufacturer. This product is clearly a safety hazard.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2010

We bought an Oster 6248 toaster oven a couple years ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond. The last couple of months, it has started going into a mode where it displays Err on the display, beeps a lot, and will not function. Sometimes, if you push buttons for a while or let it sit there and beep for long enough it will eventually get back to normal for a while. Lately, it has gotten worse so that we're lucky to get one toasting session out of it and have pretty much given up on using it now.

From the reviews I see on the net, Amazon for example, this model is failing a lot in the same way. In fact other users, in some cases with other Oster models, report that it has become a fire hazard. It seems to me this would be a good case for a class action lawsuit: a product designed in such a way that it will always fail, sometimes even in a dangerous way. To add insult to injury, the customer complaint form at the Oster web site is broken too. It says that you can enter 500 characters to describe the problem and there is a counter to show how much you have typed. But actually, if you enter more than a few words you will not be able to submit the form at all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2010

I received the Oster 12-bottle wine cooler (Model 0W0912H6H) for Christmas and now after 9 months it quit. Display works but fans do not and it no longer cools. I'm sorry but I am getting tired of being ** by manufacturers. If they are going to sell junk, label it as junk. But they don't care. They have your money already. Oster should stand behind their products and offer some kind of solution to their problem!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2010

My Oster toaster oven has caught fire twice now. I was toasting a slice of bread when I noticed smoke and flames. Scared the crap out of me. I went today to purchase a fire extinguisher but I don't know if I should trust this product. Apartment filled with smoke, and it charred the stand it was on but I got the fire out before anything else burned.

Original review: July 23, 2010

I purchased a Oster Toaster Oven, model # 6057, date code-B100, approx. 8 months ago. I have owned several with no problems, but this one has experienced digital problems where I can't change settings. And then today I came home from work and the oven had turned on by itself and was red hot, this is a fire hazard. I purchased the oven from Wal-mart but do not have my receipt or box that I can exchange it. I would appreciate the manufacturer to do so. It is black in color.

Original review: July 20, 2010

While roasting a chicken breast at 350 degrees, the glass door suddenly exploded, throwing shards of glass (and the handle) all over the kitchen. I lost the chicken in the oven and side dishes on the counter.

Original review: June 10, 2010

I received a gift of the 12 bottle wine chiller (model OW0912H6H), which stopped chilling about 6 months after using it. The electricity still works, as the digital readout still works, but the fan does not. I could not find my paperwork that came with the product, so I "Googled" the product name, hoping to get some information, as to how/where to get it repaired. After seeing all the comments on this website, I don't have much hope for help in getting a repair. I believe it was purchased at Best Buy, but I have no receipt. The economic impact is that, I need to purchase a replacement wine chiller. I was quite pleased to have received it as a gift.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2010

I purchased the Oster Wine Cooler Model # 0W0912H6H in December of 2007 and it did not work after a month. No assistance was offered by the company. I was out $130.00

Original review: Feb. 5, 2010

I have been very upset about the Oster Wine Cooler not keeping a constant temperature. I was happy (if that can be said) that I found all of these complaints; obviously, I bought the wrong product. I trusted Oster but now see that I was wrong to trust them. Up until now I have not done anything, that is get in touch with Oster or Best Buy. I never thought to go back to Best Buy. Now that I have read all of these complaints, I am happy to realize it was not only me that had a problem. I will try to purchase another cooler and will stay away from Oster, and that goes for any other household appliances.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2009

Like many others, I purchased the Oster 12-bottle Wine Cellar on Christmas in 2007. It was installed in a new electrical outlet. The thing quit working in 6 months.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2009

I owned an Oster Toaster Oven and have had it for 3 years. Last week my husband forgot that he had put toast in it and went on to do other things.He smelled the burnt toast, went back into the kitchen and took out the burnt pieces and threw them into the sink. he closed the glass door and after about one minute, the entire door exploded and shards of glass went everywhere. I thought that your glass was tempered!!!!!!! I have spent a week trying to get all of the glass cleaned up. I have a little yorkie, and grandchildren who spend time here.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2009

I purchased the Oster 12 bottle wine cellar model 0W0912H6H, and like the pages of other dissatisfied customers, it quit working 6 weeks after I started using it. I tried the warranty info contact, and through the internet, I discovered they were no longer in business. I tried Sunbeam and read the new company is not liable. I tried Best Buy, where I made the purchase, and was given no help with my problem. Needless to say, I won't buy the brand again and will do my best not to purchase from Best Buy either. With all the complaints, why can't something be done to honor the warranty and the consumer? I will continue to give bad reviews due to this experience.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2009

Oster blenders are advertised as having an "all metal drive" inferring that they are stronger and more durable than competing products that use rubber or plastic in their drive systems. After purchasing one of the Oster Beehive series blenders and having the drive system shear in half through normal use, it became obvious upon inspection of the broken part that the drive system has a rubber coupler between the motor and the blade assembly. This coupler failed within two weeks of normal use. We subsequently replaced the broken blender with another Oster unit and it too failed within two weeks of normal use. A third blender was ordered from the same series and it too failed within two weeks of normal use.

Upon further research, I have come to find out that this drive failure is very common with this company's blender products. There are dozens of negative reviews on Amazon.com from customers who have had the same failure over and over again. I do not feel that it is right for a company to be advertising their product as having an "all metal drive" system when it in fact does not. Once more, this rubber coupler in the drive chain is prone to chronic failure through normal use, which also goes against their claims of having one of the most durable blender product lines in the world. Isn't this against the law? I don't understand why there has not been a product recall or an effort to force Oster to change their deceptive claims about this product line.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2009

I bought the Oster 12-bottle wine cellar OW0912H6H for Christmas from Best Buy two years ago, never used it until a month ago. I used it for one month and the fan stopped working. Now I am out $129.00 plus tax like so many others out there.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2009

I too received Oster's 12-bottle wine cellar (model OW0912H6H0) as a Christmas gift from my kids in Dec 2008. It stopped working in July 2009! After reading all the complaints on ConsumerAffairs.com, I called Oster. They were not helpful nor encouraging regarding any type of warranty as I was told that Oster licensed out their name on many products and this was a case of buyer beware.

Kudos to Best Buy, Mill Plain Store, Vancouver, WA! I knew my son had purchased it there, so that is where I returned it. I had no receipt, they didn't care as they found the purchasing info on their computer. The customer service manager Cole refunded me full price of the unit, which I promptly used to by a Vinotemp 12-bottle cooler. Bill, a salesman in appliances, was terrific too. Best Buy stood behind the product that they sold with great professional courtesy. This consumer will continue to shop at Best Buy!

Original review: July 26, 2009

I purchased the wine chiller #OW0912H6H for Christmas 2008 and the unit stopped working 3 months later. I called Best Buy and Oster, and received the same results as everyone else, which was nothing. There should be some type of suit started against this company or whomever is responsible for this product failure. I lost $140.00 for the purchase of the product.

Oster Appliances Company Information