Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Nest Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Room temperature will drop 2 to 3 degrees below the temperature setting on the thermostat before the furnace will turn on. I spent two hours on the phone with a representative and than a supervisor from Nest. They originally said it was a problem and then in the end changed their story to well that’s the way it works. That’s after TWO hours. I wouldn’t recommend the product or the company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I recently bought a home that was outfitted with 10 (yes 10) Nest protect gen 1 products. The seller actually mentioned this as part of the selling points. I never had a Nest experience before. I actually bought a few Nest Thermostats to try them out.18 months after buying the property, the Nest Protects go off randomly AND no longer work with Nest's updated apps.

I call up Nest support and they tell me 5 year old Nest protects are no longer supported and are incompatible with their unified iPhone app to go along with the thermostat. I have to move up to Gen 2 to avoid the false alarms and to get the product to work with their current app. 10 Nest Protects new is over $2000. Why would I continue to invest in a company that abandons a consumer to this level? Throwing all 10 Nest Protects in the garbage and going for $20 smoke/CO detectors. They at least last 15 to 20 years. Google is pathetic! Expect them to be out of business like GE. Stay away from Google.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

They most dishonesty company I've ever dealt with. They’ve trained their service agents to tell you to consider them like a personal assistant and they will tell you anything to make you believe they are really helping you. First, I called the company initially because my thermostat continued to show Error and my gas furnace would continue to pause and turn on and off all night long. The service agent told me on one of my first calls that the problem was due to the low voltage in the gas furnace. After an HVAC technician came to my house and checked the voltage, he told me that there was no voltage shortage and that the thermostat was the problem. I called Nest back to complain about why they would tell me that the voltage was the problem when the thermostat was actually the problem.

The Nest technician told me during this second call that they would reimburse me for paying the HVAC Company to check the voltage and give me another Nest thermostat to replace mine. This was the first of many lies. The problems continued with my gas furnace turning on and off after replacing my thermostat. I called Nest again, who told me they would send one of their contracted techs to inspect the gas furnace and the thermostat. We scheduled a date and time for the tech person to come over. Yet they never showed up and then when I call Nest to complain, they tell me we don't have any techs to serve your area. They tell me they can send a list of certified nest techs in the area, who they work with but I'd have to pay up front and they would reimburse me.

The tech guy comes over to my house. Yet his experience with Nest products was, at best, haphazard. He switches my RH wire to RX and tells me it's fixed the problem. However, I wake up the next day to a cold house. Infuriated, I called Nest back, and they once again, they tell me they would reimburse me for the second tech guy who never really fixed anything.

Weeks have gone by now and during this last call I told Nest that I would find another company not associated with or recommend by them. I tested my furnace with a third HVAC company and asked them to replace the motor; it was only then that my gas furnace and thermostat were working. Throughout this whole process with Nest, the same talking points and dishonesty were all I've ever received from their service agents. I'd never take this company on face value as they've trained their service agents to mislead customers and just make you feel like they're really helping you when they're not. Do yourself a favor and go with a business concerned with honesty and giving their customers the best possible solutions.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Repeated tried to change password dozens of times, then called for assistance, Liza put me on hold over 30 mins never to return, second time she just disconnected me because i wish to have this elevated to someone who can handle what seems like it should be a simple fix, but they insist my screen should have options that are not on my screen and they send verify codes that don't work. I will never buy another NEST product! David **

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I had terrible experience with NEST. I had to buy return and buy the thermostat 2 times as they didn't work. I was on call with the tech support for at least 8 hrs in total with no solution. I stayed without air conditioning for 3 days and they still told me that NEST technician will be available in a week to come over and the thermostat at my home. They told me that I can call a local technician and they will reimburse me for the technician charge. I did so and submitted the invoice for reimbursement since July 2019. It been over 4 months now and I haven't got my money back. Every time I call them, they are saying that they are waiting on the company who sent me the technician to fix the thermostat. At last they told me to contact that company and get the information that NEST want to reimburse me. I am tired of them. I spent over $400 on having this thermostat. I wouldn't recommend any customer to buy their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

When you call tech support, you get someone less smart than you are yourself. After an hour or 2, of going through the same stuff you did BEFORE you even called them, they finally send you to another higher up tech. Today my issue is I can't look back on the computer but 5 minutes. Now on my phone, I can go back 5 WHOLE days. I pay for the 5 day plan which includes BOTH COMPUTER and PHONE.

My patience is way too thin today, to spend HOURS on the phone with different techs. Soon as I can afford to replace them with cameras that work right all the time, I will. I've called tech support 3 times that first week I've had them. Another time a few months ago hung up on him. I'm 62, and it was 95 outside. He insisted the only thing that would help is me getting into the attic with the laptop, and hooking directly into the camera. When I told him my age, and how hot it was outside, and the attic was probably over 130 degrees, he said he couldn't help me. Yea, I hung up on him.

The other day I got a phone alert someone was in my yard. I have both cams set to alert me to PEOPLE ONLY. I look, the "someone" was 2 DOGS running through the yard. I get alerts for cars going down the road at times, when I have it set up to my YARD ONLY. My boundary is probably 5-6 FOOT from the curb of the street. And even after you get a smarter tech, which is a major pia, the cameras only work right for a short amount of time, PERIOD. It takes hours, and sometimes they say they'll have to call you back another day, in which you never get that call back. I wouldn't recommend these outdoor cameras if they were FREE.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Owned Nest thermostat for a period of time without issue. Just a few days ago it broke down and the thermostat could not reach the preset temperature. Called Nest support and spend 2 hours on the phone. They agreed to send me a new thermostat in 10 days. I would freeze to death before I recieved a new working thermostat. After an additional 10 minutes on the phone they said they will expedite the shipping to 2 days. I insisted they they send a technician over ASAP to do a thermostat swap but due to corporate greed, they decide not to send out a technician and let their customers suffer the cold with a malfunction theromstat. Stay away from Nest Thermostat and just buy yourself a thermostat that's reliable.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

We purchased a Nest Thermostat at Lowe’s Home Improvement in September 2018, and it has been just over a month past the warranty and as per Nest the “base is broken”. We called customer service when we noticed our heat was not turning on and needless to say after a 3 HOUR conversation with customer support, where we were transferred 4x to different representatives each UNWILLING to help us/the issue and expected us to pay $200 for a brand new unit! Honestly, this is the worst product and customer service, and Google should be ashamed of how we have been treated!!! We will NEVER purchase anything from Nest and will tell everyone we know not to buy this product! Going back old school to a normal thermostat!! Do not purchase this item unless you want to deal with customer service for over 3 hours!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I purchased my Nest Thermostat for Black Friday in 2016. Today, the Thermostat fell on the ground and scratched the front screen. When I went to scrutinize what the issue was, one of the pins that locked the thermostat to the base had broken. When I went to place it back into the base, three of the pins that connect to the base had been bent. It is impossible to bend the pins if the pins weren't already bent - it fits perfectly in the groove and the pins should've not been slanted or damaged in any way. My thermostat has been physically touched once since its purchase, as I use the App in my iPhone to control it. Therefore, due to the faulty product - I have demanded prorated money from Nest due to the faulty thermostat.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I would give Nest a 0-star rating if that was an option! It’s been one delay tactic after another for reimbursing me for the faulty Thermostat that just stopped working because of some malfunction in the computer chip. The adventure began on 9/28 when the thermostat just turned off and they wanted to send a replacement in a week leaving us with heat or AC. Finally after talking to a supervisor they agreed for us to buy a new one and send the other back for a reimbursement. After numerous emails finally once came on 10/8 stating they have received the broken one and receipt for the new one and our reimbursement would be processed in 7-10 days.

After a number of extremely long and frustrating phone call and requesting to speak with a supervisor to get the status of my reimbursement we sent another copy of the receipt with promises of a call back. No call back. Again sending chats and leaving messages. I get an email on 10/24 stating that my reimbursement will take 4-6 weeks and if I don't receive it by 12/6 please call. They've got to be kidding me. They better go back to customer service policies 101. What a joke of a company. It's still under warranty. What's going to happen in a few years when we have a problem going to have to keep replacing it. Give me back the old fashion thermostat that last forever.

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information