Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I have Nest 4 cameras, a Nest Thermostat and a Nest doorbell. Within approcximatley 1 year the door bell's night vision started going haywire and finally it stoppped working all together. Customer service agent was extremely nice and helpful and ordered a replacement doorbell. However, in order to keep current doorbell, just so wires weren't hanging off the wall by the front door, I would have to have opened up a Google pay account. I pay my Nest subscription with my credit card but they would not put a hold opn my credit card unless I opened a Google pay account, which I did not want to do. The only other option was to return the defective doorbell and wait for a new one to arrive. I find it a poor business practice to force a customer to open a Google pay account in order to replace a defective piece of equipment which is under warranty.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Initially, worked great. Then the doorbell stopped working after their network went down. I spent countless hours with customer support, at different levels, performing every troubleshooting technique possible (un-install, re-install, delete the app, add the app, sign out, sign in, use a cellphone, use a computer, connect to my mobile Hotspot!, and they requested I lower my wifi speed) and multiple times each, to no resolution.

Weeks later they finally decided they needed to send a replacement. Few months after, the replacement disconnects from wifi and cannot be connected again. Yet another long bought of customer support hoops I had to jump through, the same repeated steps, to no avail, and they sent me another replacement. I should also note, you can't transfer the nest aware subscription, you have to pay for a new subscription with each doorbell. Less than two months later the third doorbell disappeared from the app. I cannot log into my nest account and in the app a message appeared stating "there was a problem connecting to the Nest service. Please try again in a few minutes" but I have been trying for hours with no change.

Customer support denies any issue with connectivity with nest and said that my doorbell is not connected to an account, also claimed that I must have deleted my account. As I'm completely done with Google and Nest, I've canceled my nest aware subscription but they have said they will not give me a refund for the unused amount of the year I paid, only 2 months in! Lying thieves. Don't give them your money!

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I had one for four years that worked just fine. Since then, I have had three (sent to me by the company) and none of them have worked. It's been one problem after another. I do not recommend this to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Nest Outdoor IQ Cameras are the absolute worst item on the market. My 4 cameras are installed on the outside of my house, when your installer came out to install the cameras he said, "keep the boxes in case you need the serial # for support", I did. My cameras became disconnected from my Nest Account, I called support, the only way that I can join those cameras back to my account is by scanning the QR code on the back of the camera or by using the 6-digit code that is right next to the QR code-WTH, so the only 2 ways to join/rejoin cameras to a Nest account are next to each other almost 20 feet up the side of my house? PPP, (Piss-Poor-Planning), Nest. I am certain there is another way to rejoin my cameras, I just don't understand why your support cannot help? I am about to sell my Nest products and invest in another company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have been without my thermostat for a week. The tech support phone number directs you to Facebook messenger. I have tried for a week to resolve this issue. I have answered all of their questions. I have given the serial number, the date of purchase, and my contact information. I have recharged the thermostat multiple times and have even changed the wiring configuration at their prompting. Day after day, the only message I get is that their team is looking into the matter. There is a two-year warranty and Google clearly doesn't want to honor it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

When receiving the Nest as a gift, we were excited at first. However, it soon turned into a nightmare. The thermostat malfunctioned and heated instead of cooling. We got this fixed, but then we noticed that it was half of the time off-line, although internet worked fine with other devices. It's simply overhyped bad technology. Not worth the money.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I installed 3 Nest thermostats in my home. I had to install them myself because no HVAC technician knew what to do. Initially that was not that much of a problem. A call to Nest support and the issues were resolved and the thermostats worked fine, for awhile. Randomly, for no particular reason one or the other would simply quit working. While it was still Nest, a quick phone call I would get some instructions to make a change (which doesn't make any sense) and it would be working again. Same issue happened with the upstairs thermostat recently. Now I'm dealing with a Google support agent and you can't talk to them. You have to handle your problem via chat. Sounds convenient, doesn't it? Never made any progress on the issue. They even had me getting a voltage meter out to check to see if it was some kind of voltage issue on a product that had been working fine for a couple of years.

After 2 hours and never getting close to solving the problem, not to mention the aggravation of having to type every step of the way I gave up. Called my HVAC company and had them replace the thermostat with an old reliable "dumb" thermostat. Funny thing. The temperature stays a lot more comfortable and the HVAC doesn't seem to have to work as hard as it did with the NEST. I attribute the products problems to the lack of knowledge by Google personnel and Google line of thinking that chat is an effective way to handle customer concerns.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Purchased Google Nest Learning thermostat last November. Worked great. No issues. Starting in June, would not and still will not connect to WiFi. Now will not charge on base and shuts down due to low battery. Unable to contact anyone via phone. Only correspondence is via Twitter Direct Message. Troubleshoot 2x and still no resolution. Only response is their "team" is working on it. Horrid customer service, failed product and will not honor a warranty claim. This borders on criminal behavior.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I've had 3 Nest Thermostats for the past 5 years. One Gen 1 or 2 and other two Generation 3. They all worked well until Google acquired them. Suddenly the 3rd Gen thermostats stop holding the battery enough to connect to the Wifi, so I couldn't manage the temperatures. They simply worked as my old thermostat with little or no intelligence. I went through all the Google Nest recommendations, contacted tech support, escalated to a supervisor and went nowhere. Their service is terrible and the product simply doesn't work. I just replaced the 3 thermostats for Honeywell's T10s and I couldn't be happier.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Our Nest Thermostat shut down the air conditioning during a 90 degree heat spell. I ended up paying more than $700 to HVAC company to uninstall and after it blew all my circuits, put in a new control board so that we had air back in the home. Was contacted via emails and chats by senior managers but to no avail. They had no record of my Nest? I have located my serial number after they closed my case. I gave them my original receipt, the bill from HVAC. Asked them to call HVAC people, which they said they would not. They said I should have called them first? Would I know what to do in my furnace? I would not recommend their product because you will pay in the long run. I wanted a refund but they refused. The worst customer service Ive ever experienced.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information