Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (322 ratings)
Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

About Nest

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I bought my first Nest thermostat and it went bad after about a year and Nest finally sent me a refurbished unit. While waiting on the unit to arrive I bought a 2nd Nest thermostat and planned to just save the refurbished one they were sending me as a backup. Bought the 2nd one in April 2021 and now in December 2021 (8 months!) it has gone bad. I was noticing that the stat was dropping the WiFi connection and upon further examination discover that it was doing so because of a low battery. Finally the thermostat completely went dead and would not power on. I contacted Nest support chat and was told I would have to charge the unit using a micro USB cable. I charged it for the 2 hours recommended and then connected it back to the baseplate and it would not power on. We spent the night in the cold.

This morning I contacted the company that had recently replaced my HVAC system and they sent a tech out to see what the problem was. He used his voltage tester and found that the wires connected to the baseplate did have proper voltage, but one the wires were inserted into the baseplate there was no power detected. He checked the HVAC system to confirm that everything was as it should be and that they system was supplying power to the stat wiring. He then removed the Nest thermostat and replaced it with an inexpensive thermostat and the heat came on immediately. An obvious sign that the stat and/or baseplate was bad.

Tonight I again contacted Nest support chat and they read my notes from yesterday. The tech support guy said that he would need to know the error code that the thermostat had given in order to know how to proceed. I told him that I did remember seeing a code but did not remember what that code was. I further told him that after seeing the code the stat showed the wiring diagram and that one wire indicated that the unit was not receiving power. The chat support guy said he'd have to have that code and would also have to have an itemized invoice from the HVAC company. I told him that the HVAC guy told me they may not charge me for the service call since the system was recently installed. He said he'd need to know from the service technician what troubleshooting steps had been taken and what the error code was.

I told the chat gut that the technician was not going to know what the error code was because the unit would not power on. And as far as troubleshooting, he tested the wires for voltage and it showed correct voltage but when the wires were connected to the baseplate there was no voltage detected. He then removed the Nest thermostat and baseplate and replaced it with an inexpensive thermostat and the system worked.

Obviously the problem is in the Nest thermostat. The chat guy again stated for him to go any further he would have to have the code and an invoice. I told him I could ship him the stat and they could do all the testing they wanted to on the unit and find the code themselves. He would not budge. I again told him I was NOT going to uninstall the working thermostat and reinstall the Nest just to see if it would give a code. He told me that if I could supply the code and an invoice he'd be happy to proceed. I asked to be connected to a supervisor and he told me that he could resolve the issue if I would provide the info he needed. I finally told him I could see that this wasn't going anywhere and that I would just return it to Lowe's and tell them that Nest refused to honor their warranty and request a refund. Unless you have money to burn, I would not recommend investing in the Nest thermostat.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Nest is a complete piece of trash. I will never buy or recommend this product to anyone or my customers again. They are complete garbage. After two years of replacing them with the latest ones they all of a sudden stop working correctly. I called to speak to Nest about the issue and spent two hours on the phone and they told me to charge them via a regular power cord and it’s still not working. The thermostats just will not stay connected to WiFi because it won’t charge. I called back and now I’m being told my WiFi is draining the power from the thermostat and I should disconnect them for 24 hours. A smart product needs to be disconnected from the WiFi because my WiFi is draining the battery? Have you ever heard any dumb ** like that?

I was also told that it’s odd to the representative how all of my thermostats are falling off the network as if I’m lying. This is 2021 so why the ** am I going through all these steps in the middle of winter? Then I’m told there’s nothing Google can do for me cause all my thermostats are out of warranty and they can’t help me. I had the same issues with the $400 camera and had to call back to speak to a supervisor before they replaced my camera. Stay far away from nest products. I’ve installed them and recommend them with my business and I’ll make sure never again and tell my customers to get rid of them!!!!

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Thermostat will not connect to working wifi. Error message. Will work manually. I manually set my thermostat to 60 before I left for five days. However, because app wasn't working I couldn't monitor temp. When I returned my house was at 40. Took more than 3 hours to rise ten degrees. The Nest is a horrible product. I feel that it's in charge of me not the other way around. I will be returning it as it is unreliable and not easy to control.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I purchased a Nest hello doorbell today, to replace our Ring pro that had died. Thought I would give the Nest a try, following what looked like good reviews.

Installed pretty easily and started working right off the bat. However, suddenly stopped working. Still had video, but no alerts when people showed up. Door chimes stopped as well. Decided to contact nest support after being unable to use their web problem-solving. Go through the usual algorithm, till you get to the topic you are looking for. They tell you support will be there shortly. After ~ 5 minutes, line went dead. So I called again, and this time, after a further long wait, recording announces unable to help, phone back another time. Device is going back into the box and returning it to Costco.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

We bought the whole package and had a Nest Pro install it in our new house. Two thermostats, about 7 carbon monoxide/fire detectors, one indoor camera, two outdoor, doorbell, and door sensors throughout. It worked fairly well for the first few years with just minor flaws... but when we moved and took the system with us.. IT FAILED. We went to go set up our cameras at our new house and tried turning them on. Indicator light turned on then went off on THREE of the cameras. So I called for tech support. They had me try many things before they then hung up on me. So I thought it was just an accident and they would call me back like they said they would. NO CALL, so I called back and they made me try all the things again but it went silent and eventually they just hung up again.

I was beyond pissed off by now... after having been so patient and relaxed with them. Between calling them again I looked up if others were having the problem and THEY WERE. Talked to the next rep and he said he wouldn't make me go through all the steps and would send me a new camera if it was in warranty. Which of course it wasn't. I tried stating that others were having this problem and why hasn't it improved or can't be solved. NOTHING. He said he would have a senior tech call me and ask about my concerns.. Never received a call. Literally spent $600 alone on the cameras for them to not have answers and don't care to share it with higher ups to solve problems. I will go somewhere else.. I LOVED it before they all turned to trash.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

When I contacted Google for assistance the person hung phone up on me. Basically this camera is crap. I had 2. Now I'm gonna go to different company. Non wifi Google Nest cams are a waste of your hard earned cash.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Loyal Nest customer with multiple products. Purchased Nest doorbell to compliment the other Nest cameras and the product will not activate/come online. Google Nest told me it was defective and sent a replacement with the same issue. I spent hours and hours and hours troubleshooting with them and it will not work. I even spent $100 on a Nest pro who couldn't resolve the problem. Nest refuses to take the product back and refund my $229 and the Nest pro. The Google acquisition of Nest has been terrible for the consumer. I am appalled how they treat customers and will never ever purchase their products again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Google screwed Nest up beyond belief. My system is no longer works. Nest is no longer compatible with any TV or TV App. Waste of money. Do NOT migrate your account if you’re already up and running. New users are screwed. Google should buy back my perfectly working system before they bought Nest and screwed everyone over. One of the richest companies on the planet and they can be bothered. Joke!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

A big company that doesn't offer good customer service. I had issues with the Nest thermostat, and they sent me a refurbished one and I sent my thermostat back. The unit they sent me was incomplete - it was missing the back part of the unit. Many personal issues did not allow for the unit to be installed in a timely basis. They will not send a replacement back. For the pennies it costs them to do, they have lost a customer for life. And I hope many more.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I cannot log in to my Nest account because I changed cell phone number. I have an account for at least 5 years and 7 cameras connected but no access because I simply cannot receive the access code by SMS. I even went to the new Google store in Chelsea NY and they weren't able to help. Their recommendation was to try to recover my number with T Mobile. I tried but the number was transferred to Verizon. Tried them too and the number belongs to a customer but when I call I get an out of service message. It's unbelievable that a company like Google/Nest is unable to verify my account and grant me access.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Advisor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information