1.22/5

Need a home automation system?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

70 Nest Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I purchased a doorbell with a recording (Nest Aware) subscription. After a chat session and two phone calls, I have not been able to get the subscription running. As I experienced in the past with Nest thermostats, this company provides virtually no customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

When it works it's fine but it does not work consistently. It goes out very often. Actually way too often so I would not recommend. I also had some difficulty with the initial set up. I will admit I am not the most technical person but the customer service rep that was supposed to be helping me was equally bad and we could not get it done. Thankfully a friend came over and was able to do it for me so I give a thumbs down for customer service too.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I've had this for a little over a year now. The camera at first worked fine, picture and video was good as well as sound, but ever since the first frost, it goes in and out. It is supposed to be rated to -4 degrees. I am in the DC area and it doesn't get that cold. Now for the last few months when I am away and come back, the camera is not detecting that I am home again through the app and have to manually put the camera back on. Thought it was great initially, but not now. Too many problems. Will probably use another type of service later.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have been on the phone for 1 hour and 10 minutes trying to change the subscription. They transferred me 2 times and they don't know how to solve the problem. I am still waiting on the phone. Their website is not friendly either.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I had Nest Aware subscription. I canceled the service in ample time. They still took out money from my account illegally. I have called and waited today for 1 hour and a half still trying to get my money back on my card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Horrible! Expensive and very slow picture, low quality, bad customer support. Very disappointing given that it is owned by Google. This is a shame that they sell a camera for more than $200 and you get nothing. No functionality, slow pic in real time (delay of 2 min!!!), And the camera keeps showing blue circles of "thinking time" that gets it to be stuck for several minutes all the time. Also, I called customer support several times and they just play this ringtone stating "your call is important to us" but no one answers!!! I was waiting on the line more than 130 minutes!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Wanted outdoor camera, accidentally ordered indoor cameras (4 of them). Called to stop the order and change it. Told I couldn't, I would need to return them when they came and order the outdoor ones. Call back when I received them and get the return number. I did just that, FedEx brought the box of cameras, I opened it to make sure it held the cameras. Called Nest Labs, kept having customer service disconnect, or drop my calls even after asking me to provide a call back number. No one ever called me back. I chatted with one rep he told me he would send me an email telling me how to return it. But I had also talked to a rep... before the call dropped who said they would pay for the return. So I followed directions in the email and it said to return within 3 days - took it out the same day and sent it UPS.

Next day I received a prepaid label from a different rep. Both giving me different customer return numbers that are place right on the mailing label. I contacted them again telling them about this... Call being dropped several times and no one calling me. It seems each time I contacted them they gave me yet another case number. One rep would say one thing, another rep tell me another. SO they did get my return, wrote and told me they did. Then they turned around and only refunded me HALF... So they still owe me 532.00. I have been dealing with them for over 2 weeks now and they are asking me, now for another package to be returned...well I got one package with all 4 cameras in it.

Did anyone bother to look in the box they received back from me? No, they just know that 1 had one order for two sets of Two camera and there are now two customer return numbers because two reps issued two different numbers. Only one was used to ship the cameras back. I am losing hope of every seeing the other half of my refund! They should be able to check with FedEx to see how many packages was shipped to me (which they would see was 1 package). But they don't seem to have the time and inclination. At one point during this process a couple of reps had turned things around saying...”Oh so you didn't receive your outside cameras... We have them on the way to you.” WHEN I already had the outdoor cameras.

When I called saying I had those cameras not to send more, they were ALL over that problem. I finally said, “So I am the customer and have been complaining about only getting half of my 1100.00 dollar refund, no biggie, but let me mention I might be getting more cameras than I ordered...and you guys are all over it.” Yes, they figured that out right away, but still can't seem to get it together for my refund. This has to be the worst customer service I have ever, ever experienced.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have five cameras and Nest doorbell. I was very pleased with the packaging and the ease of set up. I am a women and had no problems. What I am very disappointed about is the alerts especially on my doorbell. The alert noise is so soft, if I’m not holding my phone I don’t even hear it, if they do not push the doorbell. Which you do not have the option of changing the alert noise on your phone. By the Time I get alert which is always so delayed they are already gone. It is worthless. Plus if someone else comes before 30 min is up, you will not get an alert. Wish I would of done the ring. My fault!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

On support chat on how to hook up a wired temperature sensor for my in floor heating. Long wait. No help. Took roughly 3 - 5 minutes for each response from a question. The agent has multiple chats at a time. Gave me info from a different user. Told me I need to have a Nest Pro come to my house. For them to hook up a temperature sensor with two wires? Would not recommend. Looks like they can only give you information on what you already have in your manual.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

These people are crooks! I bought a doorbell camera ($250), have it professionally put in and had to have them wire it and put a chime in house ($500). Part was bad in Nest box (the puck that connects to chime). They sent a new one... Paid a guy to put it in ($100). It worked for 3 days and then fried my WHOLE system. Doorbell broke... 2 transformers and my chime... Paid electrician to come see what Happened ($100). Said faulty product... In $1000 and no daym doorbell. On hold for HOURS at a time and get disconnected. No callbacks. DO NOT BUY THESE PRODUCTS. Their company is a joke and a ripoff. They owe me money for this.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I purchased 2 security cameras and was looking to get them professionally installed. Their customer service team provided me with several companies they said were vetted to do the job. None of them said they could handle that kind of work and weren't sure what I was even talking about. When I voiced my frustration, they said they would line up the appt for me. After 3 reschedules, I called back in to get this issue handled once and for all and I have collectively been on hold today for over 3 hours trying to get a manager on the line because apparently they are the only ones who can help.

I'm still on hold over an hour later and they just disconnected me. I now have to wait in the queue all over again! Not to mention they put in the work order for the wrong product this last time. Each time I had to take a day off of work to be home for this and they haven't acted like this is inconsiderate. Buyer beware! Unless you are installing the products yourself, you're better off going somewhere else!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Nest Doorbell has fabulously quality picture and video. We put it together testing in home and downloaded the ‘Nest App’. Next day found an email regarding a trial ‘Nest Aware’ membership which would expire in a month. Googling ‘Nest subscription’ finding a monthly subscription of $10/month or $100 for the 1st year, increasing to $30/mo or $300/year after year one. Nowhere at the purchasing store or the constant mirage of TV ads do you read or hear anything regarding a subscription which would allow you to video or store video on the cloud. Without the subscription you lose video, any picture taken is deleted after 3-hours.

Reading most recent critiques, year 2018 May through 22 October 2018, not one consumer knew in advance about the subscription. There are other companies like ‘Skybell’ (a family member has one) with no fees. We chose Nest because of its slim look of a regular doorbell and we could purchase local. How does a USA based company do this to consumers? How greedy can these people be? Just money hungry individuals!!! This product has been returned it to the store.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

OMG... Are you kidding me... I’ll make it concise as possible. Camera images... good with “live” feed... images stored. Let’s just say I thought a black bear was on my proton Montana... After viewing the image many times I realized... from a slight color variation of my blue jeans and black jacket... the bear image was my backside. But this is not my main issue... The customer service... protocols... not in place... to ensure I have remote access to the visually impaired cameras isn’t possible for me. WHY?

I changed my Cell carrier and DID NOT KEEP my old number associated with my NEST account. When (after 5 attempts over calls... chats... rep after rep) I’m told that in order to protect my security I will to have my old cell number in order to receive verification codes sent (to access settings for the cameras... or subscribe for 5 bucks per camera per month services). So in short... I have no security (remotely) because NEST reps/admin CANNOT CHANGE my settings for me (to protect my security) where my old cell num gets deleted. The new cell # added... done... NOPE.

One would think this could be done with asking me security questions... of which they never inquire when initially setting up the NEST account. So you are at an impasse if this happens to you and you do not have the NEST camera’s identification numbers (on the back of each device) at hand... where you would be required to set up a NEW account... WITH a NEW EMAIL to view once again... your property for security purposes.

Hence the title of the BS... protecting my security whereby I won’t having any. Are you kidding me?!! I question. Ask me a “bank type” verification question! Street I grew up on... my first pet or school... to make sure I am who I say I am... to change a phone setting... to receive verification numbers... to log in to my account... to check on my property... for security. Sorry. After a total of 4-5 hours over a couple of weeks... each time thinking this should be resolvable... same conclusion. What a simple measure to help customers who no longer have their old cell number linked to their NEST account. NEST can’t help you if you are away from the cameras’ ID numbers.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I utilize Nest cameras for the protection of an elderly adult. In the first month one of the cameras completely stopped functioning. I have spent 3 hours with Nest and they do not have a way to fix the camera. I had to buy a new camera so that I would continue to have 3 total cameras in the home. I had to list it as a different room or the system would not recognize the new camera. Now even though the other camera is non functional the system is asking for a subscription for the new camera because I was forced to give it a different room name. Thus, I have 3 cameras working, but they are now trying to charge me for 4 total cameras.

Further, I tried to change the credit card that pays for this account and the system will not allow me to change the card despite the fact that I entered a new fully functional card. I spent an hour waiting for Chat and they could not fix the credit card issue and then had me log out which of course ended the chat! This company is a waste of time and money. Their customer support is non existent and they have no way to truly help the consumer. I am now on a 16 minute hold waiting to speak to a representative. Never again. I have paid good money for great aggravation and am left with a company that is incompetent.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I've been trying for two days to return the still sealed Nest Learning Thermostat. 30 minute telephone hold times, passed from rep to rep, no resolution, then disconnect. Day #2 the same! BAD company!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service this afternoon. The customer service representative was very rude and unhelpful. She put me on hold for periods of 10 minutes at a time. Then the Nest phone system automatically hung up on me. She did call back. However, she was unable to help me. I asked to speak with her supervisor. She said that the supervisor was unavailable and that I would have to be put on hold... So, again, I waited about 10 minutes on hold... Then the Nest phone system again hung up on me... She called back... We did this drill about six times. Seriously. Six times or more. I know... Hard to believe.

Then she said that the supervisor would call me back within two hours. It has been three hours and I have not received a call back from Nest. The codes that I have created for the Nest are not working. I have guests that cannot access the home, since the codes do not work. I run an Airbnb business. I am losing money due to negligent and faulty Nest products. Nest is not offering me any sort of solution to the problem. They are one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with... Right up there with internet service providers and mobile telephone providers. I highly recommend that you stay away from Nest products and therewith save yourselves from the nightmares and headaches associated with Nest products and customer service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I liked Nest because I thought they had quality Google support. I was wrong. Their camera system and service is horrible and unreliable. I've been on the phone for a week troubleshooting a Nest camera until they finally sent me a new one. Once they send me a new one, a new problem arises. They said I have to cancel my Nest Awareness services and re-apply for it and I won't get refunded for it until my year service is over. I was on the phone with them for 5 hours, didn't get anything resolved. Nest is a bunch of crooks. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone for a camera system.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had to return an unused Nest product. The return process is very cumbersome. I have never experienced anything like that. I had my order number ready and still spent 25 minutes on the phone with two different agents. They sent me an email with my case number but the email with shipping label was missing. You would think that having the case number would help when you call back the second time but they take your information and put you on hold to speak with a "specialist" who would create a shipping label to ship the product back. I spent 20 minutes on the phone the second time.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Here's why I am leaving a poor review of the company: Their customer service and troubleshooting is abysmal! I have 4 cameras and absolutely love three of them. I just installed the Nest IQ outdoor camera, however, and have had hundreds of false motion detection alerts and odd streaks of white light during night time operations that appear to indicate a faulty camera. I had the camera installed (hole in the wall, lot of time invested in doing so), and would prefer not to return it. Numerous emails to the support line, however, have been generically answered either by a computer or completely incompetent people.

My request was to have a support person look a few of the hundreds of video clips and tell me what causes the white streaks and the motion alert. The answer? "We understand your camera is not coming up anymore..." I wrote again, and got the answer "We understand you want to change your activity zone..." Nope. What I want to know is if my camera is defective. I do not have this issue with any of the other three cameras, and would very much like to stay with Nest versus returning everything and starting all over with another company. Nest really needs to provide a more effective troubleshooting process - or have an actual person review the support request. I can only assume that an automated scanner tried to answer the question and was waaay off on all responses. I'm about to give up.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Kept sending me notices that my trial was about to be over. But I could not get a subscription started. I tried on my tablet. I tried on my phone. I tried on my computer. No matter what I did I could not get a subscription so therefore in a couple days I would not have service. I called them and just deleted my account. It’s not that much more to get security that will monitor for you.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We have had several issue with our Nest cameras with little to no resolution from customer service. Recently, we were unable to create or download any video clips despite a paid subscription for Nest Aware. After countless hours on hold waiting for customer service and repeated promises that "Nest would call us back" and "send us an email as a follow up to the call" we have never received a call back or any resolution. In fact, we spoke with a supervisor today who was rude, pejorative and talked to us as though we were children.

We were visibly frustrated given how many hours we've spent trying to resolve our issues and he started yelling back saying "that is not Nest's fault. We are not in your house. We are not in your computer. It's not our fault. You can't make or save or download a clip" - Beyond absurd and unacceptable. When we told him he was being rude and we asked to speak with his supervisor, he actually hung up the phone on us. And to no surprise, we have not received a call back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have 3 NEST cameras with subscriptions. The subscriptions keep getting mixed up. One expires and I try to renew it. I'm on a page with the camera listed I'm trying to renew so I know I'm renewing the correct one. I get charged and then get notices about how my subscription is running out. My account then shows a subscription unused that apparently can only be assigned to a new camera. I write an email. The tech ignores what I'm saying, tells me everything is correct. So I write back. This is just one of the many subscription order problems I have. It's a nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had 4 of these smoke detectors for 6-7 years now. They false alarm about 4-5 times a year usually late at night. I have tried all of the recommended "fixes"... they don't work. Some units false alarmed the next day. If I hadn't spent so much time & $ hardwiring them into the power I would change them. They are a big pain.

Original review: July 31, 2018

As I am writing this, I have been on hold for 5 hours and 23 minutes with Nest. The first two people I spoke to knew less about our thermostat than I did... All the reviews of the customer service online from every site and review are pathetic because Nest like most of Corporate America has become drunk on Greed, the deadliest of the seven deadly sins. They have no regard for the public or what they refer to as their customers as long as they can financially ** the public of their money for service they have no intention of ever providing these days. It is everywhere you look these days and the examples are so many that it has become the norm. I spent 5 1/2 hours online chatting like a 12 year old adolescent with DIRECTV NOW last Friday also because they have no customer service number at all and you have to do everything through a chat window off their website with people they have outsourced overseas...

And those people, even though they speak piss poor broken English, in no way shape or form actually comprehend the real meanings of the English words they are trying to speak, read, or write... Corporate American ethical business and any semblance of Customer Service has died in America in the name of Greed. It is time to stand up as one here in America in one voice and say enough is enough. Hard working Americans with common sense and values and an understanding of ethical business practices and behavior should not have to tolerate this in our country any longer. Their used to be a saying in America that "Time is Money", and obviously this is no longer true. Because if it was, I would be billing both Nest and DIRECTV NOW by now. It is time to make these Corporate Turds pay.

Resolution response: July 29, 2018

I finally got through to someone who was very helpful and understood what a miserable weekend we were having in the heat with an injured dog recovering from surgery. They offered to overnight us a new thermostat. I’m still concerned that the thermostat will break in a couple years and we’ll have to shell out a lot of money or try to get an old fashioned thermostat but I’m happy this is resolved.

Original review: July 29, 2018

First of all, I can’t understand why Nest would do software updates in the dead of winter or middle of the summer if there is a risk that their software updates will bring down your system. Our dog had surgery on a Thursday, and on Saturday morning when the temperature was quickly getting up to 100 degrees our Nest stopped working. Our poor dog is incredibly hot and we’ve called Nest three times trying to figure out how to fix it. On the last call, the rep simply told us that it doesn’t work anymore and we’ll have to buy a new one. This is nothing short of a scam. Who wants to buy a $250 thermostat every 2-3 years? No one. You want to buy it once and have it work for 30 years like the old school thermostats. Save yourself the money and hassle and stick with an old school thermostat.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We purchased the Nest Cam for two reasons: in-home security, but primarily to be a baby monitor. We like the Nest Cam when it works, which seems to be less and less often. We purchased another audio monitor a few months ago because we can't trust the Nest to stay on. Today I purchased a whole different audio and video monitor system because I cannot tolerate a product that does not work. We have the fastest internet possible, and have no connection problems with anything except the Nest.

The picture will just go away and say unable to connect. I wake up every night without a pic of my baby. I just click the try again button, and the picture usually comes back on, but lately it's getting worse, and I'm having to go for longer stretches of time without visual. Very disappointing for something that costs as much as this product. We are looking into doorbell security; would like all our home security products to match brand, but we are not going w/ Nest due to it being so unreliable.

Original review: July 23, 2018

** you Nest! You raised my electric bill by hundreds a month! You are a ** criminal! You cooled my house to 73 when I was not there. You are a ** sellout **! I'm suing you and the DWP- who sent you here to save ME AND US energy! YOU LYING **!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I bought almost everything that Nest sells: Yale door lock, 12 Nest detects, 5 Nest Protects, a thermostat and 2 video doorbells. My system costs over $2K and expected a good product and great customer service. Everything worked well until my Wifi was accidentally turned off and was down overnight. I expected everything to come back online when the Wifi was turned back on and Nest tells me that should happen but it didn't. After an hour and a half online during which I manually reset everything I could reach, I gave up and asked them to call me back. Manual reset got almost everything back online but then devices went offline a short time later. Nest wants me to disassemble detects to reset batteries but I'm not going to do that. I'm very disappointed that Nest has no personnel that will come to get my system going again. Very unhappy with this product after only 2 months of use.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We love our home Nest system - we have Nest Hello, Yale Nest Door Lock, and several video cameras. But when something goes wrong, like the Hello goes offline even though WiFi is strong, it is virtually impossible to get a person on the phone. And online troubleshooting is worthless. I am impressed that Nest seems to use only American customer support reps, but today I held for more than 2 hours to reach support. You'd think since they are owned by Google that something as simple as a callback option would be available rather than having to stay on hold listening to the same imbecilic hold music. Come on Nest - you have a huge share of the market. Two hours for customer support is ridiculous. And while I don't want the useless overseas script drones answering my call, I would really just appreciate a callback option. Or better yet, how about a better troubleshooting system? This needs some work guys.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Yale Lock - It has taken 10 calls to their customer service so far to take care of a return! They don't know how to do anything! No idea how to produce return label! They don't take care of refund and put charges on my card when item is already returned and have to make more calls now! Btw, to speak to a senior agent there is a 1+ hour wait time!!!

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information