1.28/5

Need a home automation system?

57 Nest Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I utilize Nest cameras for the protection of an elderly adult. In the first month one of the cameras completely stopped functioning. I have spent 3 hours with Nest and they do not have a way to fix the camera. I had to buy a new camera so that I would continue to have 3 total cameras in the home. I had to list it as a different room or the system would not recognize the new camera. Now even though the other camera is non functional the system is asking for a subscription for the new camera because I was forced to give it a different room name. Thus, I have 3 cameras working, but they are now trying to charge me for 4 total cameras.

Further, I tried to change the credit card that pays for this account and the system will not allow me to change the card despite the fact that I entered a new fully functional card. I spent an hour waiting for Chat and they could not fix the credit card issue and then had me log out which of course ended the chat! This company is a waste of time and money. Their customer support is non existent and they have no way to truly help the consumer. I am now on a 16 minute hold waiting to speak to a representative. Never again. I have paid good money for great aggravation and am left with a company that is incompetent.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I've been trying for two days to return the still sealed Nest Learning Thermostat. 30 minute telephone hold times, passed from rep to rep, no resolution, then disconnect. Day #2 the same! BAD company!

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service this afternoon. The customer service representative was very rude and unhelpful. She put me on hold for periods of 10 minutes at a time. Then the Nest phone system automatically hung up on me. She did call back. However, she was unable to help me. I asked to speak with her supervisor. She said that the supervisor was unavailable and that I would have to be put on hold... So, again, I waited about 10 minutes on hold... Then the Nest phone system again hung up on me... She called back... We did this drill about six times. Seriously. Six times or more. I know... Hard to believe.

Then she said that the supervisor would call me back within two hours. It has been three hours and I have not received a call back from Nest. The codes that I have created for the Nest are not working. I have guests that cannot access the home, since the codes do not work. I run an Airbnb business. I am losing money due to negligent and faulty Nest products. Nest is not offering me any sort of solution to the problem. They are one of the worst companies that I have ever dealt with... Right up there with internet service providers and mobile telephone providers. I highly recommend that you stay away from Nest products and therewith save yourselves from the nightmares and headaches associated with Nest products and customer service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I liked Nest because I thought they had quality Google support. I was wrong. Their camera system and service is horrible and unreliable. I've been on the phone for a week troubleshooting a Nest camera until they finally sent me a new one. Once they send me a new one, a new problem arises. They said I have to cancel my Nest Awareness services and re-apply for it and I won't get refunded for it until my year service is over. I was on the phone with them for 5 hours, didn't get anything resolved. Nest is a bunch of crooks. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone for a camera system.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had to return an unused Nest product. The return process is very cumbersome. I have never experienced anything like that. I had my order number ready and still spent 25 minutes on the phone with two different agents. They sent me an email with my case number but the email with shipping label was missing. You would think that having the case number would help when you call back the second time but they take your information and put you on hold to speak with a "specialist" who would create a shipping label to ship the product back. I spent 20 minutes on the phone the second time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Here's why I am leaving a poor review of the company: Their customer service and troubleshooting is abysmal! I have 4 cameras and absolutely love three of them. I just installed the Nest IQ outdoor camera, however, and have had hundreds of false motion detection alerts and odd streaks of white light during night time operations that appear to indicate a faulty camera. I had the camera installed (hole in the wall, lot of time invested in doing so), and would prefer not to return it. Numerous emails to the support line, however, have been generically answered either by a computer or completely incompetent people.

My request was to have a support person look a few of the hundreds of video clips and tell me what causes the white streaks and the motion alert. The answer? "We understand your camera is not coming up anymore..." I wrote again, and got the answer "We understand you want to change your activity zone..." Nope. What I want to know is if my camera is defective. I do not have this issue with any of the other three cameras, and would very much like to stay with Nest versus returning everything and starting all over with another company. Nest really needs to provide a more effective troubleshooting process - or have an actual person review the support request. I can only assume that an automated scanner tried to answer the question and was waaay off on all responses. I'm about to give up.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Kept sending me notices that my trial was about to be over. But I could not get a subscription started. I tried on my tablet. I tried on my phone. I tried on my computer. No matter what I did I could not get a subscription so therefore in a couple days I would not have service. I called them and just deleted my account. It’s not that much more to get security that will monitor for you.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We have had several issue with our Nest cameras with little to no resolution from customer service. Recently, we were unable to create or download any video clips despite a paid subscription for Nest Aware. After countless hours on hold waiting for customer service and repeated promises that "Nest would call us back" and "send us an email as a follow up to the call" we have never received a call back or any resolution. In fact, we spoke with a supervisor today who was rude, pejorative and talked to us as though we were children.

We were visibly frustrated given how many hours we've spent trying to resolve our issues and he started yelling back saying "that is not Nest's fault. We are not in your house. We are not in your computer. It's not our fault. You can't make or save or download a clip" - Beyond absurd and unacceptable. When we told him he was being rude and we asked to speak with his supervisor, he actually hung up the phone on us. And to no surprise, we have not received a call back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have 3 NEST cameras with subscriptions. The subscriptions keep getting mixed up. One expires and I try to renew it. I'm on a page with the camera listed I'm trying to renew so I know I'm renewing the correct one. I get charged and then get notices about how my subscription is running out. My account then shows a subscription unused that apparently can only be assigned to a new camera. I write an email. The tech ignores what I'm saying, tells me everything is correct. So I write back. This is just one of the many subscription order problems I have. It's a nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had 4 of these smoke detectors for 6-7 years now. They false alarm about 4-5 times a year usually late at night. I have tried all of the recommended "fixes"... they don't work. Some units false alarmed the next day. If I hadn't spent so much time & $ hardwiring them into the power I would change them. They are a big pain.

Original review: July 31, 2018

As I am writing this, I have been on hold for 5 hours and 23 minutes with Nest. The first two people I spoke to knew less about our thermostat than I did... All the reviews of the customer service online from every site and review are pathetic because Nest like most of Corporate America has become drunk on Greed, the deadliest of the seven deadly sins. They have no regard for the public or what they refer to as their customers as long as they can financially ** the public of their money for service they have no intention of ever providing these days. It is everywhere you look these days and the examples are so many that it has become the norm. I spent 5 1/2 hours online chatting like a 12 year old adolescent with DIRECTV NOW last Friday also because they have no customer service number at all and you have to do everything through a chat window off their website with people they have outsourced overseas...

And those people, even though they speak piss poor broken English, in no way shape or form actually comprehend the real meanings of the English words they are trying to speak, read, or write... Corporate American ethical business and any semblance of Customer Service has died in America in the name of Greed. It is time to stand up as one here in America in one voice and say enough is enough. Hard working Americans with common sense and values and an understanding of ethical business practices and behavior should not have to tolerate this in our country any longer. Their used to be a saying in America that "Time is Money", and obviously this is no longer true. Because if it was, I would be billing both Nest and DIRECTV NOW by now. It is time to make these Corporate Turds pay.

Resolution response: July 29, 2018

I finally got through to someone who was very helpful and understood what a miserable weekend we were having in the heat with an injured dog recovering from surgery. They offered to overnight us a new thermostat. I’m still concerned that the thermostat will break in a couple years and we’ll have to shell out a lot of money or try to get an old fashioned thermostat but I’m happy this is resolved.

Original review: July 29, 2018

First of all, I can’t understand why Nest would do software updates in the dead of winter or middle of the summer if there is a risk that their software updates will bring down your system. Our dog had surgery on a Thursday, and on Saturday morning when the temperature was quickly getting up to 100 degrees our Nest stopped working. Our poor dog is incredibly hot and we’ve called Nest three times trying to figure out how to fix it. On the last call, the rep simply told us that it doesn’t work anymore and we’ll have to buy a new one. This is nothing short of a scam. Who wants to buy a $250 thermostat every 2-3 years? No one. You want to buy it once and have it work for 30 years like the old school thermostats. Save yourself the money and hassle and stick with an old school thermostat.

Original review: July 26, 2018

We purchased the Nest Cam for two reasons: in-home security, but primarily to be a baby monitor. We like the Nest Cam when it works, which seems to be less and less often. We purchased another audio monitor a few months ago because we can't trust the Nest to stay on. Today I purchased a whole different audio and video monitor system because I cannot tolerate a product that does not work. We have the fastest internet possible, and have no connection problems with anything except the Nest.

The picture will just go away and say unable to connect. I wake up every night without a pic of my baby. I just click the try again button, and the picture usually comes back on, but lately it's getting worse, and I'm having to go for longer stretches of time without visual. Very disappointing for something that costs as much as this product. We are looking into doorbell security; would like all our home security products to match brand, but we are not going w/ Nest due to it being so unreliable.

Original review: July 23, 2018

** you Nest! You raised my electric bill by hundreds a month! You are a ** criminal! You cooled my house to 73 when I was not there. You are a ** sellout **! I'm suing you and the DWP- who sent you here to save ME AND US energy! YOU LYING **!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I bought almost everything that Nest sells: Yale door lock, 12 Nest detects, 5 Nest Protects, a thermostat and 2 video doorbells. My system costs over $2K and expected a good product and great customer service. Everything worked well until my Wifi was accidentally turned off and was down overnight. I expected everything to come back online when the Wifi was turned back on and Nest tells me that should happen but it didn't. After an hour and a half online during which I manually reset everything I could reach, I gave up and asked them to call me back. Manual reset got almost everything back online but then devices went offline a short time later. Nest wants me to disassemble detects to reset batteries but I'm not going to do that. I'm very disappointed that Nest has no personnel that will come to get my system going again. Very unhappy with this product after only 2 months of use.

Original review: July 21, 2018

We love our home Nest system - we have Nest Hello, Yale Nest Door Lock, and several video cameras. But when something goes wrong, like the Hello goes offline even though WiFi is strong, it is virtually impossible to get a person on the phone. And online troubleshooting is worthless. I am impressed that Nest seems to use only American customer support reps, but today I held for more than 2 hours to reach support. You'd think since they are owned by Google that something as simple as a callback option would be available rather than having to stay on hold listening to the same imbecilic hold music. Come on Nest - you have a huge share of the market. Two hours for customer support is ridiculous. And while I don't want the useless overseas script drones answering my call, I would really just appreciate a callback option. Or better yet, how about a better troubleshooting system? This needs some work guys.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Yale Lock - It has taken 10 calls to their customer service so far to take care of a return! They don't know how to do anything! No idea how to produce return label! They don't take care of refund and put charges on my card when item is already returned and have to make more calls now! Btw, to speak to a senior agent there is a 1+ hour wait time!!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I’ve never written a poor review of a company before but I had the worst experience today. My husband has been trying to return 2 thermostats… bought from Nest directly and not opened (even the clear wrapping is still on the boxes). My husband emailed Nest about how to return. They replied with a phone number and reference number. He could not get it done (and I now know why) and asked me to take care of it.

After 45 minutes, the Nest customer service rep FINALLY found our order number. This was after giving him the reference number, my husband’s name, the serial number of the product and LOTS of reassurances that it was in fact purchased directly through them. Once he found the order number, he said “unfortunately, we cannot accept a return because it was purchased on May 4th, it is now July 7th, and our return policy is 45 days.” I asked him to reconsider, given it was less than 10 days over the order date deadline (not even the received date deadline) and especially given how difficult it has been to find information on making a return. I mean, I was on the phone with Nest for 45 minutes before even THE COMPANY could find our order. The response was “no.” I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was told I would have to wait a while for this or call back. I said, since I had now been on the phone for an hour, I would like a callback. That was 5 hours ago.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Couldn't get answers on the website so called and sat on hold forever!!! Nest used to be so good but now they suck. So sorry that I already own so many Nest products. Never buying another Nest product again!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I purchased two Nest Hello doorbells that have built in cameras. Along with the hardware purchase I added the one year Nest Aware Subscription. It worked great for about a month and then it quit. I contacted support several times and all they told me was to purchase it again. I already spent $100.00 why should I purchase it again? I finally did so now I have spent $200 for the subscriptions and it still does not work. So much for the 24/7 support. I will have to contact my credit card company and ask them to get me a refund because Nest Aware is a scam and refused to refund my money.

Original review: June 14, 2018

First I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating their customer support is, and that is primarily due to the fact they do not respond. I cannot access my subscription, cannot cancel my subscription and cannot access my cameras or thermostat. The kicker is their customer service reps cannot make any changes to your account like a phone number change which is key to changing anything in your Nest account. I got a new phone number and there is just no way to access my account now that my old number is no longer active. I am trying to change my password but cannot do it without the old phone number. Who thinks of their Nest account when getting a new phone number, it's obvious that the people at Nest think you should. So still haven't figured out how to resolve this since my emails go unanswered. Very disappointing.

Original review: June 12, 2018

So disappointed with them. After several emails explaining that I'm having problems with the Nest Aware Account, they simply email back a helpline number to call in Australia. I'm the owner of 35 Nest cameras in and around the property here so the investment is big. You would expect this company to take its responsibility and help out.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I subscribed to this website just to write about my experience with Nest Thermostat-E. You have been warned, simply don't buy the hype. It is nothing but headache, hard to learn, difficult to operate and support is disaster. I had waited for their support line sometime over an hour with no answer. My guess many people are having the same problem operating this thermostat. I could go on and on for pages about the so called new generation of thermostats. The away from home features means you have to pass by the thermostat often enough otherwise it leave you cold.

Self learning means every time you change the temperature it will add it to your schedule and stay there until you delete it. Don't even try to set permanent hold if you like constant temperature or if you are going to be away and want to set at a specific one, I have spent hours trying to do this. If you have an older Android device or one of the older iPads, good luck. You wouldn't be able to install the app for it. I am going to fight the installation company to get my Honeywell thermostat back and installed. It was a breeze using the Honeywell thermostat, simple clear and excellent support. It worked on all my devices new and old.

Original review: June 6, 2018

BEWARE!!! If you do not have a C wire - a DEDICATED power wire for the thermostat, IT WILL NOT WORK. You can believe what they say that you do not need one and upload a photo of the wires you have and they will still say it is compatible. IT IS NOT. NO Wi-Fi thermostat is compatible with no C wire. It will just shut down for hours to recharge itself and you will have no heat or A/C. Save yourself the headache of researching it or calling in an expensive technician to tell you it needs a C wire. Installing a C wire is expensive and not an easy task - it is not worth it.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Being in charge of a community with over 390 plus units all having NEST thermostats, it has been a nightmare! These Nest are continuously going back and not meant for commercial applications. Each rep I speak with has different policies and rules. They have "techs" and "senior techs". The senior techs are the only person that can do anything. All the Nest thermostat are controlled by the residents of my community. Unfortunately the last rep I spoke with is absolutely refusing to exchange 3 of our faulty Nest because I will not provide him with a phone number to contact my residents to ask them if it's OK if they exchange the Nest. THE NEST WAS NOT PURCHASED BY THE RESIDENT!! Now sitting on faulty Nest number 14 for this month...

Original review: May 10, 2018

I bought an inside Nest camera 2 years ago and had a yearly subscription of $99.00. I moved and bought 2 outside Nest cameras and a Nest Hello doorbell camera. I changed my address on my Nest account to my new address and tried to add the other cameras. It would not let me and stated I was in trial mode on all cameras. I paid Nest $140.00 for 4 cameras/5 days of recordings. I received a bill for $99.00 for the old subscription. I called Nest and let them know that the camera that they just charged me for was with the other 3 new cameras and I would like to get my money back. They asked me to look up my account and see how many subscriptions I had. I saw only 1.

They didn't believe me and I had to send them a screenshot from my computer. They gave me a case number and told me that they would cancel my $140.00 subscription and Pro-rate me a refund of $134.94 and find out about the other $99.00 charge. I said thank-you. After two days I looked at my bank account and find that they charged me $134.94. So now I'm out of pocket $373.94 for their service of 4 cameras. I have contacted them 3 times and each time I have to send them screenshots of my view from my computer. They do not believe anything that you tell them. This included a screenshot of my bank account to show that they charged me instead of giving me a refund. They are so disorganized and it takes HOURS to get someone on the phone. I still waiting for this to be resolved.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I basically have a $200 paper weight. My Nest thermostat has been installed less than two years, and the base plate is already dead. I went through HOURS of troubleshooting my HVAC and thermostat. I finally found a discussion post to help me troubleshoot the thermostat. I know what the problem is. I just need to contact the company to find out how to get a replacement. I WAITED ON HOLD FOR 20 MINUTES BEFORE I FINALLY HAD TO HANG UP. I have read other horror stories of people holding over an hour. Their "chat" people have over 100 prior customers in line.

This is by far one of the worst customer support systems i have ever had to deal with. I basically have to buy another thermostat just to keep my HVAC running. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! There is not even a way to send a direct email to have a live person address the problem or give the customer an address and RA number for a repair. I WILL NEVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I called Nest customer service yesterday 5/1/2018. Waited over 40 minutes on hold and at that time I couldn’t wait any longer so I hung up and called later. The second time I called I was on hold for over 1 hour and 52 minutes and never was able to speak with anyone. I tried a chat and got a hold of someone via email and they told me I had to speak with a senior service rep and told me to hold on. I never got to speak with anyone as I am beyond disgusted with the lack of service from this organization. I would be careful if you are considering purchasing from them as you take the risk of being unable to get help from them should you need it. The resolution to the issue was obtained by calling in a friend that is an HVAC contractor who was able to resolve the issue.

Original review: April 26, 2018

We bought two Nest cameras. They were both late in arrival. I talked to customer support chat in cancelling the orders (before they were even shipped), and he said that order dept is closed and they cannot be cancelled. We received the cameras. We contacted them multiple times for returning it but no reply. We called them and they kept talking to us for an hour before agreeing to accept the return. Then we got an email about the length (4 to 6 weeks) return process with detailed and difficult to follow instructions on packaging and shipping requirements.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Between work and home I have 12 cameras. Love the quality of the camera and ease of use but any time you have a support question plan to wait for at least 30 minutes. Also the software is not very flexible. If you install the camera using the app it is on your home or office account and you'd like to switch location you will have to uninstall and reinstall. Not a problem if your cameras are in reach but when they are 20 feet high in a warehouse good it's not easy.

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information