Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Help me decide

3.6/5 (146 ratings)
Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

About Nest

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: July 10, 2021

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS!!!! I bought the entire system all NEST products. Spent over 2k and one of my thermostats went off of my app, and stopped working a week ago.. Spent several hours today, not to count on the last week.. to have the customer service rep.. laugh at me and put me on hold for 20 minutes and then come back on the line to ask me the same questions.. It is 128 degrees where I live and they advised that my product is under warranty however I would have to send my thermostat to them and then wait 10-15 days for a replacement.. I will be taking all of my Google and NEST products out of my home.. Please do not buy these products the un-professionalism and incompetent service will drive you to purchase other products..

Original review: July 1, 2021

Terrible experience dealing with Google Nest. I have had it for many years and sold the house it was attached to and no longer needed Nest Aware. Not keeping up with when the yearly auto renew happens I was charged yesterday 6/30/2021 and reached out to them today to explain that I no longer lived this home or had the system and since the subscription got renewed yesterday I would like to cancel it and get a refund. I was denied my refund after canceling and only being charged yesterday. Very disappointed in the level of customer support. Not to mention in these difficult times big business trying get every cent they can while hurting the everyday people this wrong and Google should be ashamed Google multi billion dollar company can't refund someone 120.00. Terrible customer services and leadership practices.

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I bought the 3rd generation thermostat 2 years ago. Easy installation and classy look. Last year went on vacation mid winter and found the thermostat offline and house cold. Fixed that. Now it sets its own temperatures. Summer is here. I set at 72 and come home and it’s set at 80. It offline for no reason and now base won’t charge!! Going back to my old thermostat where I set and forget it. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: May 19, 2021

We have had a best thermostat for over 2 years now. The other day it just fell right off the wall. I picked it up and the ring was dented. It’s difficult to turn when trying to change the temperature so I have to use the app. Used the customer service chat feature and spoke with Courtney. Her response was for me to buy a new thermostat. No offer to assist no apologies that it’s faulty and fell off the wall. Just buy a new one. I wasn’t looking for a free one. Just options. Can I take it somewhere to be repaired? Can I buy the parts. Nothing. Horrible service. I will be replacing it with a non-Nest device and removing their other items from my home.

Original review: May 4, 2021

When I built my home I was encouraged by the builder to integrate the Nest sensor system. In retrospect, I am sorry I did. Google Nest is all about making money, not protecting you and your home. The sensor and thermostat installations keep changing so the mounting and wiring has to be changed as well. The system is hugely expensive and not plug-in-play. Nest has figured out a way to do that to your wallet.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Every time I sign into NEST APP, there is a question for a verification code. I have to tell Nest to send the code repeatedly and when it isn't sent, I get locked out with an error message telling me to try later. I WANT RESPONSIVENESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY FROM NEST!!! I pay for this service and I am not "trying again" because Nest is incompetent and unresponsive!! How about some CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: March 17, 2021

Google Nest has withdrawn call support in the UK. It was a valuable service, and the basis on which I bought more Google smart speakers. As they can no longer be trusted, I won’t be buying google products again. They do not value their customers, using their might to de-value their products at their discretion, after you have bought them. Shame on you google - what features will you withdraw next?

Original review: March 13, 2021

I selected Google as my smart home system of choice, Mesh, Protect, TV, doorbell etc. BAD MOVE! I think if I had access to a time machine - I would head back in time and beat myself around the head until I saw sense and picked something other than Google Nest. The tech based issues I have experienced are: Google TV - It doesn't have all the basic stream/channels you can get on a old gen firestick - so now I have to have both a firestick and google tv plugged in. The NFL channel displays the results before you watch the match (who thought that was a good idea). We are in a different time zone, we can't watch live, we watch matches the next day in Europe! But someone at Google decided to spoil the viewing.

Google mesh - The range isn't as good as we hoped I live in a two bed apartment, it's not palatial and yet three Nest mesh devices do not provide consistent full coverage. And it is supplied with the stupidest plug arrangement I have seen in the UK. Google Mini - Somehow despite being backed by the best search engine - it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of comprehension and use as the Amazon Alexa device I have (I'm so glad I kept her!). Nest Protect - This is good, but has a shelf life, so watch the expiration date when you buy it. Also I have seen others have issues around filters meaning they need to be replaced, I had a bit of an issue after a month or so but a heavy restart seemed to solve the issue.

Nest doorbell - is good, but only if you pay for the subscription. But that is not the Zinger.... The zinger is what I am hoping is the worst customer service practices you will ever come across. It's been nearly 4 weeks since I raised an issue with the doorbell subscription. I have spent over 4 hours in calls and online chats with various 'advisors'. All of whom state they aren't the right department to deal with anything and there is no way to raise a complaint outside the system. My advice with Google Nest is AVOID if you can.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I installed two Nest Learning Thermostats and One Nest E. I was told by customer service that I would not need a c-wire with these models. I had the thermostats professionally installed by HVAC professional. One thermostat required extending the wiring and they suggested I call an electrician. I called Ontech, which is the company that Nest has partnered with to do installations. The scheduling was easy and a young man in a Direct TV truck showed up. He used a two wire nuts to extend the wires and had to use the plate to bring the thermostat off the wall to accommodate the wire nuts. I left a two week work trip and was informed by my dog sitter that we had run out of heating oil and the house was 80 degrees. I returned home to find that the zone where the Ontech technician installed the thermostat was set at 60 degrees but was reading 80. The installation shorted out the zone control valve on the furnace and it was stuck open.

The other zones were also not working correctly, as they were hotter than the set temperature. When no heat was called for the furnace was still cycling on and off. I called Nest and after sending them pictures of my brand new Budaras furnace and TACO zone control panel, and hours on hold, they said you must have a c-wire. This was after the first call when they told me I would not need one.

I called my electrician and he said they have at least two calls a week where they have to remove the Nests and install conventional thermostats. This is especially true with new furnaces. He said they have found you can hook up one to a board but more than one, even with a c-wire, will blow the board. They have found that the new equipment is too sensitive for the Nest and even a 5 zone board like I have, doesn't have the power to keep the Nest charged. He said in some situations the Nest works to maintain the temperature, but does not remain sufficiently charged to maintain internet connectivity. I was able to return the Nests to Home Depot and I have installed Honeywell digital theremostats. After three calls to Ontech, I was able to get a refund of the 100 dollars they charged me for the faulty install.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I bought 2 devices (Google Nest Third Generation) and both of them stopped working. The first one only lasted a few months. The second one lasted just over 2 years. Since it was out of warranty period, they refuse to do anything about it. The customer service is also unhelpful. Basically made me repeat the same steps over and over even though it did nothing. Finally, they just said, "Sorry too bad. We're not going to replace it." Horrible device and experience. Never buying another one of these devices; instead will try Honeywell or Ecobee.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information