Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: March 17, 2021

Google Nest has withdrawn call support in the UK. It was a valuable service, and the basis on which I bought more Google smart speakers. As they can no longer be trusted, I won’t be buying google products again. They do not value their customers, using their might to de-value their products at their discretion, after you have bought them. Shame on you google - what features will you withdraw next?

Original review: March 13, 2021

I selected Google as my smart home system of choice, Mesh, Protect, TV, doorbell etc. BAD MOVE! I think if I had access to a time machine - I would head back in time and beat myself around the head until I saw sense and picked something other than Google Nest. The tech based issues I have experienced are: Google TV - It doesn't have all the basic stream/channels you can get on a old gen firestick - so now I have to have both a firestick and google tv plugged in. The NFL channel displays the results before you watch the match (who thought that was a good idea). We are in a different time zone, we can't watch live, we watch matches the next day in Europe! But someone at Google decided to spoil the viewing.

Google mesh - The range isn't as good as we hoped I live in a two bed apartment, it's not palatial and yet three Nest mesh devices do not provide consistent full coverage. And it is supplied with the stupidest plug arrangement I have seen in the UK. Google Mini - Somehow despite being backed by the best search engine - it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of comprehension and use as the Amazon Alexa device I have (I'm so glad I kept her!). Nest Protect - This is good, but has a shelf life, so watch the expiration date when you buy it. Also I have seen others have issues around filters meaning they need to be replaced, I had a bit of an issue after a month or so but a heavy restart seemed to solve the issue.

Nest doorbell - is good, but only if you pay for the subscription. But that is not the Zinger.... The zinger is what I am hoping is the worst customer service practices you will ever come across. It's been nearly 4 weeks since I raised an issue with the doorbell subscription. I have spent over 4 hours in calls and online chats with various 'advisors'. All of whom state they aren't the right department to deal with anything and there is no way to raise a complaint outside the system. My advice with Google Nest is AVOID if you can.

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I installed two Nest Learning Thermostats and One Nest E. I was told by customer service that I would not need a c-wire with these models. I had the thermostats professionally installed by HVAC professional. One thermostat required extending the wiring and they suggested I call an electrician. I called Ontech, which is the company that Nest has partnered with to do installations. The scheduling was easy and a young man in a Direct TV truck showed up. He used a two wire nuts to extend the wires and had to use the plate to bring the thermostat off the wall to accommodate the wire nuts. I left a two week work trip and was informed by my dog sitter that we had run out of heating oil and the house was 80 degrees. I returned home to find that the zone where the Ontech technician installed the thermostat was set at 60 degrees but was reading 80. The installation shorted out the zone control valve on the furnace and it was stuck open.

The other zones were also not working correctly, as they were hotter than the set temperature. When no heat was called for the furnace was still cycling on and off. I called Nest and after sending them pictures of my brand new Budaras furnace and TACO zone control panel, and hours on hold, they said you must have a c-wire. This was after the first call when they told me I would not need one.

I called my electrician and he said they have at least two calls a week where they have to remove the Nests and install conventional thermostats. This is especially true with new furnaces. He said they have found you can hook up one to a board but more than one, even with a c-wire, will blow the board. They have found that the new equipment is too sensitive for the Nest and even a 5 zone board like I have, doesn't have the power to keep the Nest charged. He said in some situations the Nest works to maintain the temperature, but does not remain sufficiently charged to maintain internet connectivity. I was able to return the Nests to Home Depot and I have installed Honeywell digital theremostats. After three calls to Ontech, I was able to get a refund of the 100 dollars they charged me for the faulty install.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I bought 2 devices (Google Nest Third Generation) and both of them stopped working. The first one only lasted a few months. The second one lasted just over 2 years. Since it was out of warranty period, they refuse to do anything about it. The customer service is also unhelpful. Basically made me repeat the same steps over and over even though it did nothing. Finally, they just said, "Sorry too bad. We're not going to replace it." Horrible device and experience. Never buying another one of these devices; instead will try Honeywell or Ecobee.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Google Nest's customer service is ABOMINABLE. I have spent a total of 400 hours in the last 4 weeks (I have physically calculated this through my phone log) on the phone with them to try and resolve issues with the Google Nest Router. They don't even publish the Wifi Customer Service number, so every time I have to explain my issues to someone in the thermostat department, only to be left on hold again.

After 400 hours of time with your customer service, they insisted on sending me a replacement device. Before it arrived, I managed to fix the issue through my ISP, since Google Nest is picky with regard to which modems it communicates with. So I filled out the return form and sent Google Nest back their (unopened) device. Now I am getting charged for that device because they lost it!!!! I cannot believe Google Nest, a 3.2 BILLION DOLLAR company, operates so poorly. I will never purchase a Google Product again. Update: I wrote this while on hold with Google Nest Customer Support, 32 minutes and counting, bringing my wait time to 432 minutes in the last month.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Bought three Google Nest cameras. One has never worked. I've been trying since Christmas to get this resolved. After hour on the phone with people who have no clue as to what they are talking about I finally got to talk to a so called supervisor named Milly. She seemed to know how to fix the trouble. Promised me an email with return shipping labels. This was supposed to arrive within 5/10 minutes and 24 hours later no response. She also promised to call me within 24 hours to check to see if I had received the shipping labels, no response after 24 hrs.

It's obvious the people on the phone haven't a clue as to how to answer your questions or make recommendations. I was on the phone for an hour and 15 minutes going back and forth. He would ask me questions, they say, "Hold for about 5 minutes," while I'm sure he was talking to a real technician. They finally sent me a replacement part that does not fit the camera I have. But I'm not giving up. I'm stubborn enough to keep bugging them until I get a new replacement camera I've been waiting for since Christmas.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I have been a customer since it was originally Drop Cam in 09 it worked great. I even paid the yearly fees. Google has ruined it. I will be buying another system.

There’s not enough characters for me to cont.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Love my Google Nest. I love being able to control the lights and temps and be able to see packages getting delivered! I recommend this to everyone! Even helped my mother get her home system set up! She loves it also!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I have medical issues so I purchased the Nest Hub Max so my family may use the camera to check on me. The camera has worked sporadically at best. After many emails and a 230 minute support call they say send it back for them to look over. They won’t send me a replacement now unless I purchase another one. Or I can wait 3 weeks to ship it back. Let them look it over and then send me a new one. I bought it for safety reasons.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

We purchased a Nest system from Dish. It alerts us to every cat, dog or bug near the camera. It is slow to message about movement. A vehicle may come and go before you are notified. The video seems to miss movement. The camera will show me returning home never having captured me leaving. The range is not that great. Nest also goes offline frequently.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information