1.74/5
Based on 38 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a home automation system?

38 Nest Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

I purchased two Nest Hello doorbells that have built in cameras. Along with the hardware purchase I added the one year Nest Aware Subscription. It worked great for about a month and then it quit. I contacted support several times and all they told me was to purchase it again. I already spent $100.00 why should I purchase it again? I finally did so now I have spent $200 for the subscriptions and it still does not work. So much for the 24/7 support. I will have to contact my credit card company and ask them to get me a refund because Nest Aware is a scam and refused to refund my money.

Original review: June 14, 2018

First I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating their customer support is, and that is primarily due to the fact they do not respond. I cannot access my subscription, cannot cancel my subscription and cannot access my cameras or thermostat. The kicker is their customer service reps cannot make any changes to your account like a phone number change which is key to changing anything in your Nest account. I got a new phone number and there is just no way to access my account now that my old number is no longer active. I am trying to change my password but cannot do it without the old phone number. Who thinks of their Nest account when getting a new phone number, it's obvious that the people at Nest think you should. So still haven't figured out how to resolve this since my emails go unanswered. Very disappointing.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

So disappointed with them. After several emails explaining that I'm having problems with the Nest Aware Account, they simply email back a helpline number to call in Australia. I'm the owner of 35 Nest cameras in and around the property here so the investment is big. You would expect this company to take its responsibility and help out.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I subscribed to this website just to write about my experience with Nest Thermostat-E. You have been warned, simply don't buy the hype. It is nothing but headache, hard to learn, difficult to operate and support is disaster. I had waited for their support line sometime over an hour with no answer. My guess many people are having the same problem operating this thermostat. I could go on and on for pages about the so called new generation of thermostats. The away from home features means you have to pass by the thermostat often enough otherwise it leave you cold.

Self learning means every time you change the temperature it will add it to your schedule and stay there until you delete it. Don't even try to set permanent hold if you like constant temperature or if you are going to be away and want to set at a specific one, I have spent hours trying to do this. If you have an older Android device or one of the older iPads, good luck. You wouldn't be able to install the app for it. I am going to fight the installation company to get my Honeywell thermostat back and installed. It was a breeze using the Honeywell thermostat, simple clear and excellent support. It worked on all my devices new and old.

Original review: June 6, 2018

BEWARE!!! If you do not have a C wire - a DEDICATED power wire for the thermostat, IT WILL NOT WORK. You can believe what they say that you do not need one and upload a photo of the wires you have and they will still say it is compatible. IT IS NOT. NO Wi-Fi thermostat is compatible with no C wire. It will just shut down for hours to recharge itself and you will have no heat or A/C. Save yourself the headache of researching it or calling in an expensive technician to tell you it needs a C wire. Installing a C wire is expensive and not an easy task - it is not worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: May 30, 2018

Being in charge of a community with over 390 plus units all having NEST thermostats, it has been a nightmare! These Nest are continuously going back and not meant for commercial applications. Each rep I speak with has different policies and rules. They have "techs" and "senior techs". The senior techs are the only person that can do anything. All the Nest thermostat are controlled by the residents of my community. Unfortunately the last rep I spoke with is absolutely refusing to exchange 3 of our faulty Nest because I will not provide him with a phone number to contact my residents to ask them if it's OK if they exchange the Nest. THE NEST WAS NOT PURCHASED BY THE RESIDENT!! Now sitting on faulty Nest number 14 for this month...

Original review: May 10, 2018

I bought an inside Nest camera 2 years ago and had a yearly subscription of $99.00. I moved and bought 2 outside Nest cameras and a Nest Hello doorbell camera. I changed my address on my Nest account to my new address and tried to add the other cameras. It would not let me and stated I was in trial mode on all cameras. I paid Nest $140.00 for 4 cameras/5 days of recordings. I received a bill for $99.00 for the old subscription. I called Nest and let them know that the camera that they just charged me for was with the other 3 new cameras and I would like to get my money back. They asked me to look up my account and see how many subscriptions I had. I saw only 1.

They didn't believe me and I had to send them a screenshot from my computer. They gave me a case number and told me that they would cancel my $140.00 subscription and Pro-rate me a refund of $134.94 and find out about the other $99.00 charge. I said thank-you. After two days I looked at my bank account and find that they charged me $134.94. So now I'm out of pocket $373.94 for their service of 4 cameras. I have contacted them 3 times and each time I have to send them screenshots of my view from my computer. They do not believe anything that you tell them. This included a screenshot of my bank account to show that they charged me instead of giving me a refund. They are so disorganized and it takes HOURS to get someone on the phone. I still waiting for this to be resolved.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I basically have a $200 paper weight. My Nest thermostat has been installed less than two years, and the base plate is already dead. I went through HOURS of troubleshooting my HVAC and thermostat. I finally found a discussion post to help me troubleshoot the thermostat. I know what the problem is. I just need to contact the company to find out how to get a replacement. I WAITED ON HOLD FOR 20 MINUTES BEFORE I FINALLY HAD TO HANG UP. I have read other horror stories of people holding over an hour. Their "chat" people have over 100 prior customers in line.

This is by far one of the worst customer support systems i have ever had to deal with. I basically have to buy another thermostat just to keep my HVAC running. This is completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! There is not even a way to send a direct email to have a live person address the problem or give the customer an address and RA number for a repair. I WILL NEVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I called Nest customer service yesterday 5/1/2018. Waited over 40 minutes on hold and at that time I couldn’t wait any longer so I hung up and called later. The second time I called I was on hold for over 1 hour and 52 minutes and never was able to speak with anyone. I tried a chat and got a hold of someone via email and they told me I had to speak with a senior service rep and told me to hold on. I never got to speak with anyone as I am beyond disgusted with the lack of service from this organization. I would be careful if you are considering purchasing from them as you take the risk of being unable to get help from them should you need it. The resolution to the issue was obtained by calling in a friend that is an HVAC contractor who was able to resolve the issue.

Original review: April 26, 2018

We bought two Nest cameras. They were both late in arrival. I talked to customer support chat in cancelling the orders (before they were even shipped), and he said that order dept is closed and they cannot be cancelled. We received the cameras. We contacted them multiple times for returning it but no reply. We called them and they kept talking to us for an hour before agreeing to accept the return. Then we got an email about the length (4 to 6 weeks) return process with detailed and difficult to follow instructions on packaging and shipping requirements.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Between work and home I have 12 cameras. Love the quality of the camera and ease of use but any time you have a support question plan to wait for at least 30 minutes. Also the software is not very flexible. If you install the camera using the app it is on your home or office account and you'd like to switch location you will have to uninstall and reinstall. Not a problem if your cameras are in reach but when they are 20 feet high in a warehouse good it's not easy.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Camera stopped working. Spent several hours on chat with 2 different persons. They sent me a new camera and it did the same as first. I spent 3 hrs on phone with 2 different persons, no resolve, The last person never answered the phone. After 1 hr and 10 minutes I gave up and I am requesting my money back.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I have bought several Nest products because I find the quality to be good. However, I have come to find out that once installed and connected to your home WiFi you have to go through the entire installation process again should your router or WiFi password change. The problem this poses is... if your equipment (eg. Outdoor Camera) is installed by a professional and is two floor up on the outside of the house you then have to pay someone to climb a ladder and remove it so that the information needed for installation can be accessed. There should be some way within the app to just change your WiFi and/or password without having to go through the entire installation process again. I did call Nest customer support and was told very rudely (by Morgan Employee ID ** Case **) that I should get a family member with a ladder to bring the cameras down if I do not want to pay a pro to do it and am unable to do it myself.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My 2nd NEST faceplate is still defective. I was on the phone for 30 mins and HAD to take another phone call. After all, I don't live to talk to Nest. When I returned, literally, 30 seconds later, I heard the operator I had been speaking with...disconnect me. When I called back I received the "...higher than normal volume..." message. They never got back in touch with me, even though they clearly have my information and telephone number. This "tech" walked me through some ridiculous and obvious procedures that any thinking human could do for themselves.

Bottom line, my 2nd NEST thermostat isn't working properly and instead of calling me back after my 30 sec phone call (yes. Imagine...when they get a brief hold they disconnect vs us "normal folk" who have lives to lead), I was disconnected. When I attempted to call again got the "...higher than normal volume..." **. Customer service is the all important factor. Nowadays, tech is disposable. NEST can be replaced by the next guy, the way LYFT replaced UBER. They better get their ** together.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have contacted NEST via phone, chat and FB. I have had a technical issue for the past FIVE months. I have spent hours on the phone doing what they ask me to do without resolution. I've been told multiple times they're working on a solution and will have it shortly. I haven't been able to log into my cameras from a PC for many months now and they still have no solution... yet continue to take my money. I've lost the ability to create clips in lengths of my choice starting and ending where I want... it's disgusting how horrible they are. If they don't have an answer, they just blow you off. I would never recommend this company or its products.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Nest Customer Support is a frustrating joke. We contacted them several times only to be told "your Nest is dead and here is a voucher for a future order." No, thank you. They did not even try anything - "it's dead, there isn't anything we can do." It still charges, it still has a glowing green light... except it isn't working. They did not offer to send anyone out to troubleshoot. They just "knew." We had to contact our Home Warranty to get our thermostat working again... in February... when it was 30 degrees outside. Thankfully we only qualified for a standard Honeywell. We have no interest in working with Nest again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I pre-purchased four Nest Cam IQ Outdoor units last year and just received them today. When I opened the box I found that I have to plug them in to an indoor AC outlet. I have AC outlets on the flat roof of my home next to where I wanted to install the cameras. It seems totally illogical to make an outdoor product that needs to be plugged into an indoor AC outlet. Try again Nest... Now I have to pay more money to ship the units back to Nest.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

These are the worst pieces of technology I have ever purchased. Very expensive. I paid $1,500 for three cameras. They do not work well and I have had nothing but problems with them. They cut out constantly - not a great feature in a security product. Constantly needing to be removed from account and reinstalled. The outdoor one stopped working altogether in a very short time. I am constantly having to contact support, and while they are lovely, the problem has not once been resolved. There were problems purchasing the Nest Aware add-on, however this has turned out to be a blessing as I am not throwing any more money at these very bad products. 6 months of nothing but grief and they're going in the bin.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

New Nest professionally installed by Nest installer. Has not preformed as advertised since shortly after installation. Nest support has been unable to resolve the issue. The 3rd generation learning thermostat app will not show history or usage. Nest support is very limited in their knowledge base and to date has not offered a valid resolution.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Nest Cam: Horrible customer service. Employees are giving out wrong information and dealing with them is a runaround. I have spent hours and hours on chat and the phone with them and have been assured that my issue is resolved only to find out weeks later that it isn't and have had to start over and over again from the beginning, all for a simple return!! No one needs this frustration. Look for a better company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I did a remodel a couple of years ago, and was told by the county inspector that I needed certain features in my smoke detectors that basically narrowed them down to Nest. The company is based in my county. Last month, we needed to replace our WiFi router, and got a new password. We updated our phones, computers, TV, even our excellent Lyric thermostat without a problem. I didn’t give the smoke CO2 detectors a thought, but got an email that they were not responding. I went to the app to see where I could update the router and couldn’t find anything. I contacted their customer service and they let me know that I need to physically uninstall all of the smoke detectors in the house and deal with them together on a table to update the WiFi password. Stay away from these poorly engineered products.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I purchased a Nest security system with one camera because my neighbor was poisoning my dogs, also someone has been in my house while I'm at work, again suspect neighbor. The camera goes offline a good portion of the time then after about 2 weeks the camera breaks and get stuck in zoom and is frozen. So I purchased another hoping it was just that camera. Well to disappoint this camera also goes offline 40% of the time. If I could rate it a 0 I would but didn't give that option. And their service well that a whole another rating in itself. Maybe it deserves a 1. This system is 100% useless to me.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I have had Nest for over a year: both on my iPhone and iPad. Today I could not bring up the cameras on my iPad only, iPhone worked fine. I struggled for two hours and in desperation I went to their chat room. I was #29 then #30. I waited and was promptly dropped. I went back and was #55. I was promptly dropped again. Their cameras work well when they work; their customer support doesn’t seem to work at all. This is my second support issue in as many months.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

NEST cameras - When I had trouble with the new "RING" products, the person from Geek Squad just happened to have another camera in her truck. I bought it from her. I got the product working and used it for a few days, and I was happy with it. It was when I tried to sign up for the regular monthly service that I had trouble. It's been two months and I still have been unable to reach anyone and now I have another "THING" on my wall that doesn't work!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I contacted Nest because my electrician found a fault with the heat controller accompanying the Nest thermostat. One of the terminals (Terminal 2) would not tighten as the screw had been cross threaded and wouldn't move causing the live wire to drop out in a dangerous way. I contacted Nest immediately on the Saturday to be told "senior support dont take calls after 5.00" although it was before 5.00 and the contact centre was still open when I rang at 4.40.

They came back via phone today to tell me I needed a "Diagnostic Report" from the electrician to state exactly what I was describing on the phone, namely that terminal 2 would not hold the wire as the screw was cross threaded - simple. The product was faulty. This is a stalling tactic to try to wriggle out of replacing a faulty product - legally required to replace. Why is service and support never as glossy as the product advertising? I await a response to my one line electrician's report...

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Over 8 years of using Nest/Drop products. I have struggled with consistent service having to remove my cameras and reinstall (a huge effort on the exterior of the home) which resulted in receiving temp complimentary service. Now, when I went to renew, they are telling me that I need to remove the cameras AGAIN off the side of the house and build a new account! Nest has serious internal tech and communication issues. I wish I had purchased a different camera & company service. I recommend you DO NOT purchase Nest products or service, the company has serious tech issues! One word: BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Let me preface this review by saying that I own 3 Nest products, and all of the products work well for me. My complaints are all associated with Nest subscriptions services. I first subscribed to Nest's 10 day cloud service for my two cameras in Sept of 2016. I purchased the year long service for each. The service and the cameras worked well for me.

In Sept of 2017 I was up for renewal. I tried to renew, :( fail. I was given confirmation of renewal, but never charged and never received the service. I called the customer service line and was greeted by a friendly individual that confirmed my order was valid but did not "go through". After 10 mins of him talking with other reps and billing he gave me 1 month free service and assured me it would be fixed soon. It was not. My free trial expired and still no subscription. I tried to purchase the subscription again... confirmation, great success... no. I called again. The rep again assured me he saw the order, but couldn't explain why it wasn't working. He gave me a case number and asked me to call back in a week "hopefully it will be resolved by then".

At this point I decided maybe the problem was on my end. Something with my card?? Nope card works fine in other locations, works fine with other web purchases. But what the h*ll, I tried to purchase the service a third time with a different card. Again, confirmation of my order. No service, no charge. I waited for a few more days to see if something happened, hoping some glitch may work itself out. Sadly it did not.

At this point I am concerned that at some point I may purchase multiple subscriptions for 2 cameras, as all of these orders are floating in some dark interweb hell. I call a 3rd time, again the customer service rep was friendly. I once more described my problem, gave him my case number, and we went to work. I failed. He failed. But there was a glimmer of hope. A tier 2 specialist was called upon. I had at this point been on the phone for 40 mins, trying to give my money away, maybe he could help, if I was willing to wait in a queue for the next available tier 2 as call volume is very high right now. I'd like to tell you all that I waited, but I didn’t.

I thanked my customer service rep and politely declined. I asked him to please make sure that my previous request for service were cancelled, and "Yes I would like that confirmation for what it's worth". Now I’m under no delusion that my $100-$150 dollars a year I wanted to spend on Nest products are a big loss for them. But I live in a world where I can scan a card for gasoline, or soda's, or yard service or any number of goods and services around the world using a technology that has worked now for years. And somehow, I couldn't give my money to them, a company that is owned by freaking Google. Being frustrated over trying to become less wealthy is the silliest thing I've ever heard of, and I’m not spending 1 more second trying to help them accomplish it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I really like the Nest products and have cameras and a thermostat. However, the products do not always work like they are supposed to and their customer service is terrible. Recently I had video subscriptions on two of my cameras and wanted to cancel one of the subscriptions. First the website was not working and I couldn't change or cancel my credit card. The customer service rep completely did not understand this and just kept telling me to click on broken links - so frustrating. I finally was able to cancel the one subscription and was told my account was credited for that amount, but really my account was credited, I was not given a refund. Come to find out, I have to cancel the subscription on BOTH cameras AND THEN re-add the camera that I want in order to receive a refund. How ridiculous is that.

Just refund my money, don't put all this burden on your customer - stupid horrible customer service in my opinion. Not to mention when you cancel a camera subscription you lose all your saved clips. I didn't even bring up the fact that I can't get the home/away feature to work with my phone. It's constantly saying I'm home when I'm not and away when I'm home which make the thermostat settings off. Not worth the hassle honestly.

Original review: May 30, 2017

The Nest thermostat worked perfectly during the winter. However, when I attempted to turn the AC on, it blew hot air through the vents. My first thought in an 85 degree home was to call a technician thinking my AC was broken. The tech fully inspected and found the thermostat to be defective which was confirmed by Nest. Nest immediately sent out a new thermostat within a couple of days (meanwhile we had to rig the system to allow the AC to work without triggering the heat pump). When I called Nest to inquire about reimbursement for the tech service fee due to their defective equipment, Nest informed me that they refused. Nest further went on to tell me that they would only reimburse if they were the ones to call tech support and further went on to say that I shouldn't be upset because "you made the mistake by calling a tech."

Nest lost all credibility with me. They not only sent me a defective thermostat, but they also caused me to miss work and waste money on a technician due to their defective equipment. They failed to take responsibility and furthermore tried to insult me by mocking the fact I called a technician to fix my AC that was blowing hot air. I wouldn't trust this company AT ALL. To top it off, I have read many similar stories today as I searched the internet to share my story.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I have used this since 2015 and it worked great until about 2 months ago. Now I can not set it at the away house and have it hold the settings. I have talked with their tech help and they are super nice but no help. I think the Google people have never heard of it's not broke don't fix it.

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery

Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information