2.92/5
  • 1 star
Based on 13 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need a home automation system?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 31, 2017

13 Nest Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Over 8 years of using Nest/Drop products. I have struggled with consistent service having to remove my cameras and reinstall (a huge effort on the exterior of the home) which resulted in receiving temp complimentary service. Now, when I went to renew, they are telling me that I need to remove the cameras AGAIN off the side of the house and build a new account! Nest has serious internal tech and communication issues. I wish I had purchased a different camera & company service. I recommend you DO NOT purchase Nest products or service, the company has serious tech issues! One word: BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Let me preface this review by saying that I own 3 Nest products, and all of the products work well for me. My complaints are all associated with Nest subscriptions services. I first subscribed to Nest's 10 day cloud service for my two cameras in Sept of 2016. I purchased the year long service for each. The service and the cameras worked well for me.

In Sept of 2017 I was up for renewal. I tried to renew, :( fail. I was given confirmation of renewal, but never charged and never received the service. I called the customer service line and was greeted by a friendly individual that confirmed my order was valid but did not "go through". After 10 mins of him talking with other reps and billing he gave me 1 month free service and assured me it would be fixed soon. It was not. My free trial expired and still no subscription. I tried to purchase the subscription again... confirmation, great success... no. I called again. The rep again assured me he saw the order, but couldn't explain why it wasn't working. He gave me a case number and asked me to call back in a week "hopefully it will be resolved by then".

At this point I decided maybe the problem was on my end. Something with my card?? Nope card works fine in other locations, works fine with other web purchases. But what the h*ll, I tried to purchase the service a third time with a different card. Again, confirmation of my order. No service, no charge. I waited for a few more days to see if something happened, hoping some glitch may work itself out. Sadly it did not.

At this point I am concerned that at some point I may purchase multiple subscriptions for 2 cameras, as all of these orders are floating in some dark interweb hell. I call a 3rd time, again the customer service rep was friendly. I once more described my problem, gave him my case number, and we went to work. I failed. He failed. But there was a glimmer of hope. A tier 2 specialist was called upon. I had at this point been on the phone for 40 mins, trying to give my money away, maybe he could help, if I was willing to wait in a queue for the next available tier 2 as call volume is very high right now. I'd like to tell you all that I waited, but I didn’t.

I thanked my customer service rep and politely declined. I asked him to please make sure that my previous request for service were cancelled, and "Yes I would like that confirmation for what it's worth". Now I’m under no delusion that my $100-$150 dollars a year I wanted to spend on Nest products are a big loss for them. But I live in a world where I can scan a card for gasoline, or soda's, or yard service or any number of goods and services around the world using a technology that has worked now for years. And somehow, I couldn't give my money to them, a company that is owned by freaking Google. Being frustrated over trying to become less wealthy is the silliest thing I've ever heard of, and I’m not spending 1 more second trying to help them accomplish it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I really like the Nest products and have cameras and a thermostat. However, the products do not always work like they are supposed to and their customer service is terrible. Recently I had video subscriptions on two of my cameras and wanted to cancel one of the subscriptions. First the website was not working and I couldn't change or cancel my credit card. The customer service rep completely did not understand this and just kept telling me to click on broken links - so frustrating. I finally was able to cancel the one subscription and was told my account was credited for that amount, but really my account was credited, I was not given a refund. Come to find out, I have to cancel the subscription on BOTH cameras AND THEN re-add the camera that I want in order to receive a refund. How ridiculous is that.

Just refund my money, don't put all this burden on your customer - stupid horrible customer service in my opinion. Not to mention when you cancel a camera subscription you lose all your saved clips. I didn't even bring up the fact that I can't get the home/away feature to work with my phone. It's constantly saying I'm home when I'm not and away when I'm home which make the thermostat settings off. Not worth the hassle honestly.

Original review: May 30, 2017

The Nest thermostat worked perfectly during the winter. However, when I attempted to turn the AC on, it blew hot air through the vents. My first thought in an 85 degree home was to call a technician thinking my AC was broken. The tech fully inspected and found the thermostat to be defective which was confirmed by Nest. Nest immediately sent out a new thermostat within a couple of days (meanwhile we had to rig the system to allow the AC to work without triggering the heat pump). When I called Nest to inquire about reimbursement for the tech service fee due to their defective equipment, Nest informed me that they refused. Nest further went on to tell me that they would only reimburse if they were the ones to call tech support and further went on to say that I shouldn't be upset because "you made the mistake by calling a tech."

Nest lost all credibility with me. They not only sent me a defective thermostat, but they also caused me to miss work and waste money on a technician due to their defective equipment. They failed to take responsibility and furthermore tried to insult me by mocking the fact I called a technician to fix my AC that was blowing hot air. I wouldn't trust this company AT ALL. To top it off, I have read many similar stories today as I searched the internet to share my story.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I have used this since 2015 and it worked great until about 2 months ago. Now I can not set it at the away house and have it hold the settings. I have talked with their tech help and they are super nice but no help. I think the Google people have never heard of it's not broke don't fix it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: April 15, 2017

This product is worst than the regular thermostat. Even though the temperature is set to 75, the AC doesn't switch on if the room temperature goes to 77. My son always wakes up because it starts getting hot. I would rather have my regular thermostat which works fine. Don't need the other features this product offers as it's useless. I had called up customer support for this and they asked me to switch off the history option so it would work as regular thermostat but still it didn't after some time. I hate this product!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I've called their Tech Support Department dozens of times. It's like speaking to a nice friendly wall. Nothing gets done and I know their servers can't handle the volume. It's really a shame they don't have their act together! I've asked them to buy back 4 cams and am awaiting for their response.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

They were so professional and I like that it did not took long. I could check all in my phone and my tablets and computer all is recording and I love it. The offers were as good as you could imagine is the best. I would use it again if I need it. There is no doubt. I love it and would recommend the value of it. It was as cheap as you could think and my friend is thinking about getting. It is so cheap. I think the experience of using these system is the best and I think I would use it again in the future. There is too much features of these and will use it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Installing my Nest Thermostat was a breeze, I was able to do it by myself. No special tools or experience was required. The instructions were clear but I simply went to the website to watch the sample video. It was very easy to follow along. The Nest Thermostat delivers all its promises. I still don't know if the energy saved will pay for the device just yet though. I am very satisfied with the smartphone app and usually adjust the temperature from my car when I am heading home. The Nest Thermostat will only show its real value once it pays for itself because it will save on my energy bill. It is too early to determine if this will happen. The GUI from the appliance itself is easy to use, elegant and slick. It has a beautiful design. The smartphone apps uses the same design language. It is a very powerful and yet simple to use, very intuitive.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

We now have no worries when we travel and leave the house for a long period of time, we don't have to have relatives or friends checking on our property or anything anymore. They offered us everything under the sun, however we only needed some of the features offered, we may reevaluate in the near future, but as far as I am concerned we have everything that we need right now. It is very cost effective for us, we get top notch security at an affordable price, the customer service representatives always stay in contact with us and test our product to make sure that it is working properly. This is the first time I have owned something of this nature, I would recommend it to anyone that needs something for a start home, we live out in the country so neighbors at that close.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

The install on that network was okay but not satisfying enough. The services they offered were pretty good but not good enough. My neighbors and I discussed this together when I was pondering on it and they also agreed that it was okay but satisfying enough. The value was actually better than I accepted because I believe it would be way too much but it turned out to be enough for everyone to be okay with. I was disappointed with their user experience actually because I heard so many good things which just turned out to be just a full of crap.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

The installation was very easy, clean and cheap. The installation doesn't mean a bunch of holes on your walls or things like that, in a few hour you could had your system functional. The offered services are one of the most important parts of the deal, they give you a lot of stuff a good service for almost the same money. If you have the time to check in internet or in everywhere else, you would see that they offered the best value for the price. You won't find any better. You can't have any problem with the user experience, it easy as chance a channel, as push a button and when you learn how to use the system even your kind can do it.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Easy to install. Takes no time and very hassle free. Easy to install for anyone. No tools needed or manual, really it's self-explanatory. Great product. Very great services that are offered and provided. Extensive coverage on security with this device makes it all worthwhile at the end. Love the services offered. For the price and the services overall great value. Very unique due to the value of the product. Not going to find a better value on any other device. Very easy to use and very accessible from many devices I own. Very accessible and the user has great control over the device and the tools their self.

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
Lisa Montgomery

Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information