Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I installed 3 Nest thermostats in my home. I had to install them myself because no HVAC technician knew what to do. Initially that was not that much of a problem. A call to Nest support and the issues were resolved and the thermostats worked fine, for awhile. Randomly, for no particular reason one or the other would simply quit working. While it was still Nest, a quick phone call I would get some instructions to make a change (which doesn't make any sense) and it would be working again. Same issue happened with the upstairs thermostat recently. Now I'm dealing with a Google support agent and you can't talk to them. You have to handle your problem via chat. Sounds convenient, doesn't it? Never made any progress on the issue. They even had me getting a voltage meter out to check to see if it was some kind of voltage issue on a product that had been working fine for a couple of years.

After 2 hours and never getting close to solving the problem, not to mention the aggravation of having to type every step of the way I gave up. Called my HVAC company and had them replace the thermostat with an old reliable "dumb" thermostat. Funny thing. The temperature stays a lot more comfortable and the HVAC doesn't seem to have to work as hard as it did with the NEST. I attribute the products problems to the lack of knowledge by Google personnel and Google line of thinking that chat is an effective way to handle customer concerns.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Purchased Google Nest Learning thermostat last November. Worked great. No issues. Starting in June, would not and still will not connect to WiFi. Now will not charge on base and shuts down due to low battery. Unable to contact anyone via phone. Only correspondence is via Twitter Direct Message. Troubleshoot 2x and still no resolution. Only response is their "team" is working on it. Horrid customer service, failed product and will not honor a warranty claim. This borders on criminal behavior.

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I've had 3 Nest Thermostats for the past 5 years. One Gen 1 or 2 and other two Generation 3. They all worked well until Google acquired them. Suddenly the 3rd Gen thermostats stop holding the battery enough to connect to the Wifi, so I couldn't manage the temperatures. They simply worked as my old thermostat with little or no intelligence. I went through all the Google Nest recommendations, contacted tech support, escalated to a supervisor and went nowhere. Their service is terrible and the product simply doesn't work. I just replaced the 3 thermostats for Honeywell's T10s and I couldn't be happier.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Our Nest Thermostat shut down the air conditioning during a 90 degree heat spell. I ended up paying more than $700 to HVAC company to uninstall and after it blew all my circuits, put in a new control board so that we had air back in the home. Was contacted via emails and chats by senior managers but to no avail. They had no record of my Nest? I have located my serial number after they closed my case. I gave them my original receipt, the bill from HVAC. Asked them to call HVAC people, which they said they would not. They said I should have called them first? Would I know what to do in my furnace? I would not recommend their product because you will pay in the long run. I wanted a refund but they refused. The worst customer service Ive ever experienced.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We went through a lot of trouble to get one of these and install it, and at first it was working great. (I have other Nest indoor cameras which have worked just fine). It comes with a 30 free trial of their Nest Aware, however after that expired and we chose not to renew it, the camera immediately started having problems with connection (literally on day 31, even though there is a full wifi signal). The connectivity icon frequently “spins” trying to connect and will not give a live view unless you turn off/turn on/reboot the camera. It also seems sporadic at detecting motion, and the app will not show the few previous hours (as it does with my indoor cameras which do not have a subscription). None of these were an issue during the free trial period. Contacting customer service is a nightmare.

The only way to do that currently is through an online chat window. I made 4 different attempts, and on the last chat I got passed around to 4 reps who were supposed to be able to help by at least answering questions yet no one could. Their last message was “we will contact you and follow up to resolve this via email.” and that never happened. This has been a hugely disappointing experience and if I had to do this again I would research and purchase a different product.

Original review: July 20, 2020

Do not purchase a Nest. I bought one several years ago and it has caused more problems with my HVAC system than I can count. Every year I have to have a service installer come and reinstall it because it will randomly stop communicating with the HVAC system. It has happened several times this year...each time costs around $400. The service hotline for Nest is utterly useless. They never know how to get the system to work. Last night, the air unit stopped working as the Nest is stuck on a delay cycle. I've tried resetting and everything. I have a Hiller Tech coming in to replace the Nest with a regular thermostat today. It is 100 degrees in my house. The Nest system has cost me way over $1200 in the past two years. NOT WORTH THE MONEY. It has too many bugs in it and does not work as it is supposed to.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I bought the Nest thermostat because they advertised a decrease in your electric bill. I have had my next for 10 months now. I immediately noticed an increase and it has continued to climb. My bill has gone up more than 50%. I’m so disappointed in this product that I’m going to get rid of mine this week and going back to the normal unit I had. Do NOT buy this product!!!

Original review: July 15, 2020

In troubleshooting Nest thermostats talking to a technician in real time is essential. Because of the corona virus, nest is no longer supporting troubleshooting by phone. Chat is simply not working in troubleshooting thermostats. I would no longer recommend nest thermostats.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Purchased the first camera in 2016 because the neighbor and I were trying to figure out who was running over our landscaping where our properties adjoin. Turned out it was the USPS carrier and he eventually retired early (thank you, Nest!). Kept the driveway camera and then got a second one for the front door. Both were awesome with great audio and video. Then, along came Google. Nest went downhill from there. Not only does Google limit your bandwidth (although they claim you can set it back to full bandwidth) they also really screwed up the activity detection.

All was stellar until Google. My cams would detect deer roaming past at 70 feet into the front yard and the mail truck going past the driveway 100 feet away. Now, I will get notifications for every single insect or bird that flies by. But the cameras won't detect a huge truck driving up my driveway (they can both see the driveway from different angles) or that same truck parking right in front of the driveway camera at 10 feet away. Sometimes the cameras detect people but I can walk around in front of the cams (within 5 feet) and wave wildly at them and no activity is detected. I'm pretty sure I'm not invisible either.

I've noticed, and not just because I'm a computer programmer, that the cameras have placed "sound" activity as priority above "movement" activity. So if the camera hears a sound, forget seeing the big truck bearing down on your garage door, you might just get a sound alert. Maybe. Many times the cameras don't detect the movement even if there isn't sound. Today, the grocery delivery guy arrived and neither the driveway or front door cams spotted him driving up or placing groceries at my front door. If I turn off the audio, then that defeats the purpose of a security camera.

Google screwed up a good thing and I am not thrilled that all of my personal info is now shared with Google and who knows who else. I'm currently looking for a replacement as this ain't working. And no, Google does not need to contact me because they can't answer any Nest questions whatsoever. The Google Home app sucks, too. And how come I keep getting logged out of my cams when I log in through a Chrome browser? ("Please log in through Google...") Every single time, even if I keep the cam window open, I get logged off. Of course the Google Home Nest Hub doesn't mute so if I have the camera displaying on the Hub, my dog can hear everything going on outside even at the lowest level and he freaks out all day. Not great for working from home with a whining and barking dog. Let me mute or that means Google is listening even though they say they aren't. Poor Nest. You were a great product and company.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Nest has been great to work with over the years but Google is now forcing Nest users to migrate their accounts to Gmail accounts in the process the app has completely failed to work and my power bill is higher than $600.00. Last week I called customer support and got the "MESSAGE" due to the Covid 19 pandemic our offices are closed! Because of the migration from NEST to GOOGLE the project manager should be relieved of their duty!

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information