3.5/5 (254 ratings)
Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

About Nest

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: June 6, 2022

Purchased the expensive Nest cameras 3 years ago, one continued to fail every year and I had it replaced twice. Third time they stated it was out of warranty and I was SOL. I explained each camera never lasted a year, they didn't care. I am a security integrator and recommend these types of products to customers. I have removed the entire camera line as the company simply doesn't understand how to keep customers happy.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I have two indoor cameras which I bought from the original Nest company and two outdoor cameras bought within the last seven months. I've had several questions and like so many other companies you're routed to a foreign country. Hard to understand some of the people, they ask a LOT of questions that don't really pertain to the problem and, finally, never are able to resolve the problem. Tired of these companies that lie about great customer service. If they had great customer service it would be in the United States!

They get anyone cheap to answer the questions you have regarding the expensive product you bought from them! They aren't trained well enough to answer questions! DO NOT buy the outdoor NEST camera. I pay for the additional history for all my cameras but it seems they don't pick up certain people! I don't need to see my husband, myself and the cats, I need to see the strangers that approach! Of course the Arlo cameras are even worse, don't go there.

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2022

When I first subscribed to the Nest Service last year, the speed of the service was fantastic. I was able to open the Nest App and check all of the cameras installed in and around my house. Now, I more frequently encounter the spinning blue circle and the try again message. It is very frustrating when I am in my house equipped with a 1GB Internet connection and I receive a message that there is someone at my backdoor, the Nest App will only show a spinning blue circle. WTF!! That person could have already kicked down my back door and slit my throat while I am waiting on a spinning blue circle. Please consider your security carefully before you select the Nest Service.

Original review: April 14, 2022

After eight months of working as it should the Nest thermostat started displaying various messages, power out, no power to the RH wire, TOOLS, etc. I called the service 313-483-9127 line after spending hours online trying to get some assistance. The second or third person I spoke to was intelligent and thought he had solved the issue, thinking it was the base and had a new one sent, it did not solve the problem and for the next FORTY-FIVE days and six or more GOOGLE personnel and multiple hours of wasted time, they are doing nothing. Oh and I replaced it with a $27 Honeywell stat. Had an AC company do a service call to check the wiring that GOOGLE kept saying was the problem and was not and everything work perfectly.

Original review: March 18, 2022

My battery is dead. The thermostat has been running without a C-wire, in a power stealing mode. The battery has given up and even though I've installed a power connector to improve the situation with the C-wire, it's still in a situation where the battery can't recover the required charge to connect to wifi. It would be a very solvable problem if the battery could be replaced, which was possible with other models. It's frustrating that after only two years the product is broken and no repair is possible. I would not recommend this product for anyone who does not have a C-wire.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I'm exhausted from trying to resolve my Nest app account issue. Their customer service is horrible. Their rep Jonas kept interrupting me while I was explaining my issue, his focus was arguing with me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Nest should go under a class action suit by thousand of user!!! For many after a year or two when ringing the bell the camera goes blind and one cannot talk or see the ringer!! The reason which is a strongly held secret by Google Nest is that there is a Non replaceable battery inside the doorbell Hello as such the unit becomes useless!!! This is a well known and guarded secret by Nest because if exposed it would have to exchange endless Hello Nest doorbells!!! Someone should take a class action against them because the lifetime of the product is very limited and one has to spend again approx $250 every few years to buy a new bell door!!! The comers indeed will work but when one rings the chime will cut off and the picture goes blind!!! What a bluff Nest!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

It is nice to be able to monitor your thermostat remotely. Unfortunately you need to. It turns itself on and off, switches from Home and Away modes and enters Eco all on it's own. Very, very frustrating. Hard to recommend this product. I also bought the Nest doorbell and it stopped working in less than a year.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

As much as I like the NEST products usability and look, the reliability is unfortunately terrible. I'm at my 4th thermostat in a little bit over 4 years now. In the past, Google support has been able to diagnose the failures and send me a replacement thermostat. The last time however, the thermostat was erratic and not responsive through remote or manual controls. It would start my furnace randomly and would reset itself. I had to turn off the whole system. Being in January, I could not wait days to get a replacement, so I purchased one myself and reinstalled it. It fixed the problem.

When I finally reached Google support, they wanted me to put the broken thermostat back. It made no sense and after 1 hour of arguing (I wanted to send the broken thermostat back and get my money back as it was under the warranty), I gave up. Google made it difficult to stray from their rigid process. They were not willing to be flexible to this specific situation. This is the last time I am buying a Nest thermostat, and will start looking for more reliable alternative now. I am not keen to wait for a fourth failure, or go through this customer service experience again.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I bought my first Nest thermostat and it went bad after about a year and Nest finally sent me a refurbished unit. While waiting on the unit to arrive I bought a 2nd Nest thermostat and planned to just save the refurbished one they were sending me as a backup. Bought the 2nd one in April 2021 and now in December 2021 (8 months!) it has gone bad. I was noticing that the stat was dropping the WiFi connection and upon further examination discover that it was doing so because of a low battery. Finally the thermostat completely went dead and would not power on. I contacted Nest support chat and was told I would have to charge the unit using a micro USB cable. I charged it for the 2 hours recommended and then connected it back to the baseplate and it would not power on. We spent the night in the cold.

This morning I contacted the company that had recently replaced my HVAC system and they sent a tech out to see what the problem was. He used his voltage tester and found that the wires connected to the baseplate did have proper voltage, but one the wires were inserted into the baseplate there was no power detected. He checked the HVAC system to confirm that everything was as it should be and that they system was supplying power to the stat wiring. He then removed the Nest thermostat and replaced it with an inexpensive thermostat and the heat came on immediately. An obvious sign that the stat and/or baseplate was bad.

Tonight I again contacted Nest support chat and they read my notes from yesterday. The tech support guy said that he would need to know the error code that the thermostat had given in order to know how to proceed. I told him that I did remember seeing a code but did not remember what that code was. I further told him that after seeing the code the stat showed the wiring diagram and that one wire indicated that the unit was not receiving power. The chat support guy said he'd have to have that code and would also have to have an itemized invoice from the HVAC company. I told him that the HVAC guy told me they may not charge me for the service call since the system was recently installed. He said he'd need to know from the service technician what troubleshooting steps had been taken and what the error code was.

I told the chat gut that the technician was not going to know what the error code was because the unit would not power on. And as far as troubleshooting, he tested the wires for voltage and it showed correct voltage but when the wires were connected to the baseplate there was no voltage detected. He then removed the Nest thermostat and baseplate and replaced it with an inexpensive thermostat and the system worked.

Obviously the problem is in the Nest thermostat. The chat guy again stated for him to go any further he would have to have the code and an invoice. I told him I could ship him the stat and they could do all the testing they wanted to on the unit and find the code themselves. He would not budge. I again told him I was NOT going to uninstall the working thermostat and reinstall the Nest just to see if it would give a code. He told me that if I could supply the code and an invoice he'd be happy to proceed. I asked to be connected to a supervisor and he told me that he could resolve the issue if I would provide the info he needed. I finally told him I could see that this wasn't going anywhere and that I would just return it to Lowe's and tell them that Nest refused to honor their warranty and request a refund. Unless you have money to burn, I would not recommend investing in the Nest thermostat.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Advisor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information