2.82/5

Need a home automation system?

105 Nest Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2019

I’m not sure what is worse, the products or the customer service. I wish I did my research before purchasing any of their products. We have the thermostat, door bell, and smoke detector. Our first issue began with the thermostat. The thermostat could not get power, so we were left with our heat continuously running and no control of the temperature. We spent hours on the phone with their customer service representative, who basically recited the trouble shooting you can find on the Nest website. None of their troubleshooting worked and we had to replace the thermostat through our heat provider. The new thermostat comes and was professionally installed for the second time. We continued to have the same issue.

Nest advised us to unplug multiple wires, which was a bandaid solution to the problem. Now we are attempting to use the cooling system so we need to plug the other wires back in. We receive the same error messages that the thermostat is not receiving power. So our air conditioning is running continuously and we have no control. We spent hours on the phone with them Sunday, troubleshooting once again. The customer service representative could not find a solution, so they offered to send a technician. We stressed that we both have full time jobs Monday through Friday 9-5. The customer service representative assured us the technician would be here at 8am on Wednesday morning.

After waiting around until 9am, I called Nest to see what was going on with technician. My calls were “dropped” two times while trying to get some information. When I finally spoke with Josh, a supervisor at Nest, he told me the representative scheduled our service between 11am-3pm. I explained to him how the representative promised us multiple times an 8am service time and urged him to listen to the prior recorded call. Josh took no ownership to their mistake. He proceeded to provide me the technician’s phone number and told me to call the technician to see if he could come earlier. I am stunned that he thought this was the correct way to handle their mistake.

When the technician finally should up at 2:15pm, he was not able to solve the issue. He said he had to file paperwork for another new thermostat. On another occasion, we had to have the doorbell replaced by them after spending hours on the phone troubleshooting. The smoke detector was the only that we have not had issues with. They take no ownership for their products or mistakes. It seems they just want to pass you off to the next person. This weekend we will be removing all Nest products from our home. I would rather spend the money on something else than deal with Nest ever again. They have been nothing but a headache.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I bought a new house and it came with Nest products already installed. After about 2 weeks in the home, the thermostat went haywire. I received a message to contact Nest support with an error code w5. I called and was on the phone for a total of 2 hours with no resolution. I was also promised overnight shipping of a new product as after the troubleshooting was done, my device was useless. The only resolution I was offered was to twist 3 wires together and flip the breaker switch when I wanted to use the air conditioner. Unfortunately, since this came with the house, I am stuck with it. I would have chosen another product if it were up to me. Not because of the product itself but because of the customer service that I received.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had my Nest thermostat for about 2.5 years. This month, I had flicking issues with my power that originated from the power company. My neighbors didn’t have any problems resulting from the flickering. My Nest thermostat became inoperable afterwards. I called Nest Support to see if they can help and possibly seek warranty coverage. The man at support had me do several troubleshooting steps. It was excessive, especially since I told him of the troubleshooting process that I had already done. After his excessive troubleshooting, he put me on hold. By this time, the phone call was already 1.5 hours. I was on hold for 30 minutes. After seeing the call duration of 2 hours, I hung up and purchased an Ecobee4.

Another issue I had with my Nest prior to this main issue. For about a year, my Nest wouldn’t connect to my Wi-Fi. Nothing changed on my end, just stopped connecting. It was annoying. I troubleshoot a bit but ended up putting it off. Then at some point it reconnected. After speaking to a few HVAC personnels, I learned that they don’t recommend Nest because they fault too easily. They had to replace too many Nest thermostats compared to other brands.

Original review: May 14, 2019

A thermostat that costs you money. Very difficult to program. It is like it has a mind of its own. It goes on when it wants. Better to just turn on or off. Waste of my money. Over and over I have tried to program. Doesn't work. I've gone over the directions over and over. Worthless.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Nest has become popular for their range of "smart" home products. Shame that I will be returning about $2000 of Nest equipment within their 30 day trial period because of their extremely awful customer support. My second order was delivered without a signature even though signature confirmation was requested. The package was stolen and the thief was captured on my Nest Hello camera. However, it has been over a week and every contact I've had with a customer agent has said someone would contact me within 1-2 business days with no resolution in sight. I will be canceling my order and going through the 9 circles of hell that they will probably make me walk in order to return their equipment from my first order within the 30-day return period.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: May 1, 2019

If I could give Zero stars, I would! I wish I could have read all these bad reviews before I bought the thermostat. It worked good for 6 months and then disconnected from wi-fi. In an attempt to fix it over the phone, the whole thing lost the ability to recharge itself. After FOUR hours on the phone with tech support and manually charging the thermostat with cable, it still did not work. I have been transferred to a senior person 3 times for a replacement and after 1 1/2 hours each I hung up. What makes it worse is that everyone I spoke with did not seem to understand English very well and did not have any customer service skills. WILL NOT BUY ANY NEST PRODUCTS AGAIN!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Poor English and very lacking of knowledge of their product. Called several times and was on hold about 50% of the time. I'm guessing they are selling more than the support can work with. This at one time was a great company but the dollar leads now.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Someone broken into my garage and stayed there for 5 minutes. The IQ expensive Nest camera was supposed to take screenshots on motion, sounds, conversation, people identification and so on. However the only thing I’ve gotten from this episode was 2 screenshots from the back of the criminals for the entire 5 minutes he was there. When I called Nest they said they do not do many screenshots to avoid annoying people with notifications. And if I want to record videos I would’ve paid an extra monthly amount to have access to that. Meaning that without paying the extra monthly payments the camera is useless. I basically have paid $500 for a camera I could’ve bought on Dollarama for $5 instead. Both are fake and does not give you any useful information to protect you from criminal’s actions. I hope you who is looking for buying a camera to protect your property can read this review before fall off on the SCAM called Nest.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have 3 Nest products in my home. When my thermostat stopped working out of the blue I called and spoke to a representative who gave me a voucher to buy another thermostat since the warranty expired. I was happy once I received the email with the coupon however what they didn't tell you is that is doesn't work on all models. I spent 1 hr on the phone to figure out why my coupon didn't work. It was limited to 2 colors. These people have no idea what they are doing. Also I was promised a new coupon code and never got one. Here I am a few days later no coupon code and no thermostat. I am so disgusted. Do not waste your time on this company. It is surprising to see such bad customer service on products that are costly.

Original review: April 29, 2019

The first time I used my A/C after I got the Nest thermostat, the cool air ran for about two minutes, and then the cooler shut off, with just the fan blowing. My A/C technician said the Nest blew out the computer control board on the air compressor. He said he’d seen this many times with the Nest and that other brands didn’t do this. I was out about $250 for the Nest, $100 for installation, and about $360 for the A/C repair, just to end up with a low tech thermostat. Nest has apparently lied me off and not responded to my requests for a refund.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Imagine this situation. You have your Nest in Cool mode, but your home is a little too cold. So you set your Nest to a higher cooling temperature in an attempt to allow the outside afternoon temperatures to warm your home rather than switching to the heat mode. But Nest hijacks your higher cooling setting because it "learned" not to allow you to do that. The YouTube videos are a much better product support source than Nest's website. My wife is begging me to throw the Nest thermostat in the trash and to switch back to the thermostat we had prior to Nest. As a retired USMC pilot I want to always be able to "over-ride" what the aircraft computers are commanding my aircraft to do, that I do not want my aircraft to do.

On a smaller scale, Nest will not allow me to override its commands. Nest should have a setting's position "PURE MANUAL" as a starting point and as you become more familiar and comfortable with its automatic features you, as a new customer, can switch to those automatic features as you become more comfortable and confident in them. Nest has done the opposite. I recommend not purchasing a Nest thermostat until it has a PURE MANUAL setting.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I am currently on hold again and trust me you have to come up with things to do when you are on hold!! This company is a joke after the sale! I spent nearly $3,000. I don’t care about the money. I wasted a whole night last night on hold, my whole lunch hour on hold today, and am currently on hold now. This call is at 48 minutes so far! I can’t wait to get my problem fixed so hopefully never have to call again! I have never written a review on anything until this. I called their sales department today and they answer right away. Imagine that!!!!

I swear the support team must sit and laugh watching me on hold just to see how long it takes me before I hang up! Unbelievable! I HATE this company and wish I never messed with them. Please don’t make the same mistake. Buy anything else but this! Products are good, support is The worst!! By the way I’m at 54 minutes and still holding! If I hear that my call may be monitored for training purposes one more time I will have a nervous breakdown!!! I wish I was kidding about that!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I called the customer service dept. and you get put on hold for 30-40 mins. I troubleshoot with the tech and he agreed I needed a new thermostat. It took 2 days to arrive with no heat in my house, and when it finally came, they sent me the base where the wires go and NOT A NEW thermostat. I've been on hold now for 35 mins and I asked for a supervisor and so far I'm still on hold. This is the worst customer service I've ever in my life has seen. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER NEST PRODUCT.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have 8 Nest cameras but be aware of the Nest Aware service and customer service. Nest allows you to have 5 days, 10 days and 30 days of video history. Great, except for one thing, if you want to go from 5 to 10 or 30, you will lose all the saved videos. Why? You must cancel your subscription, yes cancel and lose all your saved videos for that camera and then order a new subscription.

Original review: April 6, 2019

This guy came in spewed lies when my wife came up to said not interested. He insulted her and me. Kirklan then said, "Who wears the pants here?" and "Wow shes the boss." He continued to challenge my wife and we are very disgusted. When my wife got upset and stated loudly we are not interested. He leaned in and made snide comments about my wife and tried to swing my decision. I am writing this and my wife wants her voice heard also. I want her to post and you may contact her.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Absolutely ridiculous that this is not compatible with mesh wifi system! Because this is a google product, they amp up false reviews. As my 13 yr old son said....anyone who would buy a $300 lock would probably have an upgraded router, can afford more devices to connect to that router, can afford to hire domestic employees who would use the lock, and probably has good stuff that they care about if it got stolen!!! Shame on google for releasing this product without ironing out kinks first!!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

I purchased the Nest Thermostat E about 8 months ago since I had all the Google Hubs, lights, and stuff. I wanted the ability to control my home's temp while awhile or adjust it when I was on my way home. In the summer the with Cold Mode on it seemed to function just fine. I didn't notice any hiccups at first. But then I noticed it was a lot colder than I had set it for and would run the AC far too long. Now also beware they say it does not need the now well known C-Wire aka common wire to operate. This was great news because I am in an older home.

Well get back to the C-wire in a minute. So we get past summer with having to constantly adjust the thermostat between a warmer temp when it was too cold and vice versa. Now winter comes and OHHHH BOY!!! At first I was paying any attention. I set the thermostat to 74 degrees and noticed at night it felt like it was 80+ degrees in the house. So I want and bought a self-contained room thermometer and placed it right above the thermostat. After several weeks I watched this closely. If I left it set at 72 degrees or below, the Nest functioned as it should. But if I went 73 degrees or above, it would instantly say that the ambient temperature of the room was 67-68 degrees and kick on the furnace.

So for 2 nights allowed it to do its things and check the thermometer. Well the thermometer was reading 81 to 83 degrees in the house the furnace just kept running. But as soon as I cranked it back down to 72 degrees, it would instantly read the correct temperature of 82-83 degrees. I then contacted Nest and they were aware of some issues but typically in the other direction mine was doing. Off we go over all the things they say will fix the issue, but I had already done all of these things. Check wires, make sure it's been updated with the latest software, and finally do a reset (both soft reset meaning turn off and on plus a hard reset meaning factory setting restart).

NOPE!!! Nothing they said worked, DUH... They immediately sent out a replacement Thermostat E, which I got within days. I let it warm up due to cold transport, then installed it. After 3 days of use it was doing the same thing as the previous one from the start. So I gave it away to a buddy!!! My heating bill $$$, looking over the AC bill, $$$... Ok now the C-Wire... So Nest, like I said does not require a common wire to operate. When it does, I have learned from my HVAC guy, it turns on and off your furnace multiple times to continue being powered up to stay connected to wifi and your home animation. But what happens, they don't tell you, is this causes a lot of wear and tear on your furnace, so beware.

And it lost connection continuously with the Nest App (separate from home automation) which made it pointless at times when away on trips to use. My HVAC has since been rewired with a C-Wire/common wire and I have gone to the Sensi Touch Wifi Color Thermostat. So far so good, reads the room correctly, as I still have my thermometer in place. So if I have helped you in making your decision in some way, shape or form great. Or just shed some like on the Nest E, that you may not have been aware of, AWESOME... Whatever it is, GOOD LUCK on your adventures...

Original review: March 27, 2019

The Nest camera with a phone app is easy to set up, but the camera does not capture and keep anything unless you pay for a monthly service. Also, the speaker feature never worked on mine correctly. I disconnected it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have 3 Nest thermostats and the 1st one I purchased for $260 quit working. The outer ring that controls the unit stopped working. I cannot get Nest to help with fixing the unit. I am willing to pay for repairing the unit, but all Nest supports says is buy another one. They did offer a small discount, but who wants to have to replace their thermostat every 4 years at $260. Their support also put me through the ringer but sending me an email with a case number and to call a different number for a senior support guy. Another hour wasted and no help. One of the support guys William told me that I won't have any problems with the newer units, just with this older unit which tells me they know there is a problem and just wants their customers to suck up their defective products. I will NEVER purchase another NEST product. EVER!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

This company does not stand behind its product. I just paid $400 to have an a/c unit repaired because this Nest thermostat wasn't sending proper signals and caused the unit to run constantly. Even with documentation from my HVAC tech, they absolutely could care less, have not tried in any way to reimburse me, just offered to send a new one? Why would I want a new one??? Stay away, JUNK PRODUCT.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have been using the thermostat for a couple years when Nest decided to change their "Terms of service". Since I did not agree to the new terms I was left with no online feature and deemed this as useless peace of expensive "brick". I opened a case about a year and a half ago, but the "nice" Nest customer support couldn't find the time to solve my problem. Case still open and they kind of don't give a hack... They are very ignorant and don't care of their initial terms, it is like in communism, if you don't like it we don't care, we are happy we took your money!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

We had bought a camera a while ago. Last night my family is sitting in the living room and someone starts talking to us on our camera saying rude things watching us. Someone hacked into our camera and spying on us and then once I posted video my babysitter said she heard voices on it a few days prior. Just thinking it was us she didn’t say anything. It’s crazy. Will never buy another one.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

On the coldest day of the year at -10F BOTH Nest failed within 30 minutes of each other. I was 100 miles from home when both failed. Received an NEST e-mail saying to disconnect the "Y" Wire. I drove home, disconnected the "Y" wire and all is fine. This is a known design flaw that could be easily fixed yet it fails on the coldest day in 3 years simultaneously on two separate and independent units!! WHY!?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My complaint is like all of put together. Worst products, company ever, very dishonest and needs to put down like dog. It is had to use fraud protection on my BOA card to end their bs. Got money back instantly and now them chumps can be the ones waiting for their junk to get back to them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We purchased a smoke/CO detector from Nest. In just a few weeks we received a low battery signal. We replaced the batteries with the very expensive lithium batteries as required by Nest. Once again, in a few weeks we get a low battery signal. We contact Nest customer service and they send us a new unit. The unit is an improvement over the original model because the battery compartment door can be opened with a latch instead of having to remove 4 screw with the first model. In about 9 months we get the low battery signal on 1/11/19. I replace the batteries. On 1/20/19 I get another low battery signal. This time I test the batteries and they are fine. I still put in new batteries to see what happens and we get a low battery signal on 1/22/19. I contact Nest customer service. They will not replace the unit or give a refund because they say it ran out of warranty on June 2018.

They apply the warranty to the original unit and not the replace unit! Incredible! Their only solution is, "We will give you 20% off on another one of our terrible smoke/CO units." I asked for a full credit to apply to one of their doorbell camera. "No! We can send you some new batteries or you get 20% off on a new unit." Are you kidding me! Of course, I read the reviews on the doorbell camera and they are terrible as well. If I had read the reviews first about this company I would not have invested $100+ on one of their products. I think $100 for a smoke detector is extremely expensive anyway. However, a unit that does not work and the company will not stand behind makes it even worse. I would stay clear of this company and save yourself a lot of money and aggravation.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This company has the most egregious bait and switch advertising I have ever seen. The camera works well during the first 30 days. Then it stops working unless you purchase an expensive monthly subscription. Instead of getting to view the live feed in real time plus getting a 10-15 second snapshot of each "event". After 30 days you get no live feed and only a useless single frame "snapshot" that never shows the event!!! I am going to uninstall mine and try to return it for my money back. If not, I will sell it if I can.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. I installed three Nest thermostats in my vacation home so that I could control the temperature remotely. My home is on Cape Cod so I want to make sure the humidity is not too high in the summer and that the heat is high enough to avoid frozen pipes in the winter. I've experienced problems with each of the thermostats - either they go offline (especially when cold) or automatically go to their own "schedule", especially turning the heat down on their own. This happens even if you turn off the automatic schedule feature, turn off the eco feature, and then manually go in and delete the "learned" schedule on each thermostat.

I also know that going offline is not a wifi problem because only one of the three goes offline at a given time. The end result for me was frozen pipes and a huge plumbing bill. I also checked with HVAC vendors, they don't recommend Nest because of the problems they have encountered. I am ripping mine out and buying a wireless Honeywell solution - I have one in my other home and it has worked flawlessly. It doesn't have as many features as the Nest but at least it does what it is supposed to do - maintain the temperature in the house.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Purchased this thermostat Dec. 2017 and recently our Nest displayed "low battery" and stopped connecting to WiFi. We charged the battery using USB several times but the battery would only partially charge and we still couldn't connect to WiFi and the manual display would sometimes work and other times we couldn't get it to display anything. We then replaced the battery and it didn't make any difference so we called Nest Support. After troubleshooting on the phone with them for several minutes our support person talked with a supervisor who said they would no longer troubleshoot with us because we had changed the battery (which is exactly the same as the original battery). I think it is possible an automatic software update caused this issue and I'm very disappointed that Nest isn't willing to support their products. This is the last Nest product I will ever buy.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

At 1st my Nest indoor came seemed like the best thing since sliced bread. I used one in the house and the other for my outside garage area. Once your subscription/free trial is over Nest becomes almost useless. It will freeze up and go offline. I know the company has to make money but the services aren’t even worth it. Now I can see why there are so many resales on eBay and Amazon. I paid 225 for mines and have seen them listed for 125 resale. I wish I would have saved my money or just gone with another companies product. I will be selling mines soon as well.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Issues galore, ended up putting my old Honeywell thermostat back after spending over 20 hours trying to get this the Nest Learning 3rd generation thermostat to work. I really wanted this Nest thermostat to work and tried for three weeks to get it to function properly. First of all, let me start by saying I went to the Nest sight to pre-qualify my system. I have a Heat Pump, Coleman Brand (Made by York) that is about 6 years old (97% efficient). The only item out of the ordinary is usually heat pumps have an “emergency” or AUX heating option that goes to electric coils. My system goes to a propane furnace built into the system as its “Emergency” or AUX heat. It is not a “separate” system. All Heat Pumps, inherent to their design, have an “Emergency” or AUX heat component. The Heat Pump part of the system does not work well below 34 degrees outside temperature.

To start, it took three different support people, several hours each call to get this setup correctly. As it turns out, I followed the directions for the individual components that worked in test, but not together. On the third try (another factory reset, complete review of wiring, reprogramming etc. with yet another technician who had to be re-explained the prior issues) seemed to have gotten it to function. I live outside of Seattle and being December, it was cold for the Pacific Northwest.

After all was done, here is what I found: 1) Nest has something called heat pump balance, and this is how (and the only way) to have the system bring on “Emergency” or AUX heat. NEST has NO WAY to manually turn on AUX heat. The Balance said that it would bring in the AUX heat when the outside temperature was below 40. My system was blowing cold air one night, and it was cold in the house (62) even though the thermostat was set to 67. Outside temperature was 31. Lo an behold, the thermostat was requesting the Heat Pump “Heating”, not AUX heat. The only way to get it to go to AUX is by setting the thermostat to 78 degrees. What happened to doing it at an outside temp of 40? I checked the programming and it still said 40.

2) AUX heat, when requested, would start the propane furnace, run the furnace for about 40 minutes, then the furnace would stop, but not the blower. Again, blowing cold air and making it very cold in the house. To fix this, I either have to set the thermostat to off for about 5 to 10 minutes or turn the Furnace itself off and back on.

3) For the design of the system to function appropriately to the common design of heating systems which include a Heat Pump, this should be the default when requesting heat, with the thermostat will tell you “Heating” or “AUX Heating”. This worked most of the time, but every other day my system is blowing cold air again, and I can see the “Heating” on the thermostat and the blower is going, but the Heat Pump is not on. See #2 above for the repeat of behavior to manually bring on this state of the art device.

To say the least, it was very “cold in the house” the three weeks it was installed. I was just about to call a HVAC service technician as I thought there was something wrong with my system. Instead, I put my old Honeywell thermostat back on which is at least six years old when the furnace was installed. For the past week I have had NO ISSUES AT ALL. When it is below 34, the system automatically went to AUX heat, and it ran (well over 40 minutes) without any issue with the Propane furnace turning off, and at no time blowing cold air. In addition, as previously explained with the NEST system, we have had no use with heat being requested and the compressor not coming on as designed. At no time since re-installing the Honeywell thermostat has the experience of the system just blowing cold air occurred.

At this point I am very tired of fighting with this thermostat to do what it is supposed to, and really do not want to call nest support AGAIN to try and fix it. So I think I will just stick with my Honeywell, or try the WIFI edition of their thermostat. They have been in this industry a long time and seem to know what they are doing, Nest not so much.

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
    Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information