Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

121 Nest Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

After having a Nest Thermostat and Smoke Detector in our previous home, I was excited to add it to our new home. I purchased a thermostat and 4 smoke detectors and unfortunately 3 months passed before we could install them. It was at that point that we discovered the Thermostat was not compatible with the HVAC (rare, but it does happen). And here's where things went sideways... They wouldn't accept the return even though all the boxes were unopened and still in plastic. They have a 30 day return policy.

When I escalated it, they made me get a document from my HVAC contractor confirming the thermostat wouldn't work. I did this and Google/Nest will honor the return of the thermostat BUT not the smoke detector because the contractor made no mention of that. Yet a major point of the Nest system is that they work TOGETHER and without the thermostat then the benefit of that is greatly diminished. It's been a surprising experience and if you're considering a NEST system I encourage you to order carefully to avoid the situation I found myself in.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I had a Nest IQ ($400 product) fail. Took 40 min before anyone bothered picking up the phone. After lengthy process they finally agreed to send a replacement camera. Then it was another 40 min to get someone on the phone to tell me that I was going to be screwed out of my existing subscription to Nest Aware. And that I needed to reconfigure everything and resubscribe for the service at full rate.

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I'm a fan of Google but they really screwed up Nest. The products used to be awesome. Since Google's acquisition, they have slowly increased the price and removed the best features! They are so unusable I'm installing a different smart home system this weekend.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Ever since Google bought Nest the user experience has been terrible. I wanted this to run my whole household but made a big mistake. The smoke alarms are constantly not connecting to the Nest nor the cameras. When you go through the painful process of syncing they want you to connect a USB to a PC to do it manually cause it doesn't sync. Customer Service is not helpful either. Good tech is supposed to "just work" as Apple likes to say and deliver. Nest doesn't and even a tech like me has his frustration level. Go to another company for your home partner.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Hey guys/gals... I had the Nest installed with my new a/c unit. The a/c unit works great! It better as I paid thousands for it. But the company used the the Nest thermostat. OMG!! Don't be fooled people. This the Nest sucks big time. Every time the Nest upgrades the the Nest. Guess what? It stops working!!! And it does not run on batteries. Oh no!! You have to very easily pull off the Nest, then use your computer usb port for a hour to recharge. OMG! I would rather change batteries. DO NOT BUY THE Nest! Problems big time. N. ** Texas

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I purchased a nest 3rd generation thermostat directly from company on January 31, 2019 for $266.43 utilizing my Amex. Worked great from Jan till June when it no longer worked. Contacted reputable A/C company that said it was the thermostat. Nest sent me a second one (all three of us on the phone). Installed that one and experienced same problem. Thermostat was set at 67, felt like 80 but was reading 76. Tried contacting Nest to refund and return BOTH thermostats (original purchased and replacement) but after 4 HOURS with NO success I contacted Amex to disputed charge. Amex just responded via letter that Nest has NOT returned their correspondence or phone calls. THIS HAS A ONE YEAR WARRANTY and COMPANY WILL NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY OR PRODUCTS. I purchased a new programmable $60 thermostat that works like a charm. Couldn’t be happier. First time in my life I may need to seek further action.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Something has happened to Nest in its transition back to being owned by Google. Rather than being smoothly automated, the RETURNS process is cumbersome and rife with hand-typed errors, which so far have tallied the amount I owe as being $1,000 less than what I am owed. The staff is polite and does try to help, but you will get very accustomed to them telling you, "Please stay on hold for just 2 or 3 minutes while I find an answer" and then being transferred to another person who does not have an answer, etc. Going up the "Just two or three minutes" chain for over half an hour.

FINALLY, today, after the third email to "correct" the previous errors had yet another error in it, I was transferred to a supervisor's line. The catchy repeating music wears thin after two hours on hold, which is where I stand right now. How ironic that the highly automated parent company of Google has created such a cumbersome process where customer service is customer hell. Amazon does it better.

Original review: July 15, 2019

This device worked fine for a few months (Purchased in Sept. '18) then started to act funny in the winter. My HVAC tech warned me and told me he had taken many of these units off the wall. The heat and AC would come on at the same time. Now in July '19, my AC stopped working on a steamy Friday evening and the technician wouldn't come till Monday. He immediately identified the Nest as the problem. He replaced it with a cheap-o Honeywell unit and all is well again. He warned us that several customers have had serious damage to their compressors due to Nest costing several thousand dollars. His complaints to Nest go unanswered. They know that they have a problem but will not admit it to customers or fix the problem. Avoid this expensive piece of junk!!!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I bought a Nest Camera for security reasons and thought it was great compared to the one I had before but was surprised at having to pay such a large Cloud fee. When I changed my internet password the camera stopped working and I was told to delete it from my account and re-install it. However Nest Aware stopped working. It took 6 months to get Nest Aware back on my account. Crazy! Finally did but now it is happening again. My wifi settings changed and it won't just let me update the setting.

Customer service says I have to remove the camera again, cancel Nest Aware and then reinstall the camera and order new Nest Aware. I told him what happened last time and he said, too bad. I asked to speak with a supervisor but he wouldn't let me. You should be able to easily update your internet settings without having to remove the camera and cancel your service!! Just terrible functionality & abysmal customer service.

Original review: June 27, 2019

As the title says, you cannot trust a cloud company like this. They can take away the functionality of the their products at their whim. That is exactly what they did with removing support for the Works With Nest API. I have thousands of dollars of Nest products and they are now useless without this support to be able to communicate with my home automation software. They don't care!

Nest expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

• Best for: Homeowners who just want a camera or two instead of a whole security system, parents who want to check on their kids who are home alone and those who want an easy DIY project.

Profile picture of Lisa Montgomery
Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information