Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Nest Reviews

Original review: June 4, 2020

I can strongly recommend NOT buying products from Google Nest. Although I'm a fan of the company and the products, the google nest branch has poor to none troubleshooting skills. And if it doesn't fit an article they will dismiss your bug report. During months I've exchange mails about temperature not showing up on my thermostat and nest application. But they did nothing for solving it. In most cases I didn't hear anything back and I had to send reminders. In other cases they don't understand the problem at all and ask to do useless tests on my thermostat. (If it happens in the app also, it is stupid to ask to do tests on the thermostat.)

I've also been redirected to different persons and every time we had to start tests from scratch. (It feels useless to contact their support.) They also respond with generic answers, it feels like a robot on the other side. I've now disconnected my thermostat and am going for another product where customer support at least "tries" to solve your problems

Original review: May 31, 2020

Started out 5 years ago with my Nest cam. This year they billed my cc without notice! Created a stupid migrating thing with Google. And then two step verification to log in on my smart tv and desktop pc. What a joke! It's a damn camera idiots. All they had to do was put the payments section on a different platform when you click and require log in. But instead they inconvenience the consumer. Good camera, chump company.

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I just bought my first Nest and it is showing a temperature reading that is 5 degrees too high and the humidity is of 10%. I did some research online and there are hundreds of complaints about this. Clearly not a good design. I will return mine and get another product.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Nest has been great to work with over the years but Google is now forcing Nest users to migrate their accounts to Gmail accounts. Fine if you have a gmail account but they are not supporting GSuite accounts. When you login to Nest it asks relentlessly if you want to migrate, now it appears subscriptions and services will no longer be available unless accounts are migrated. Online help forums are full of Google 'lip service' putting into words how they want to look after and retain their customers but no commitment to enabling migration to gsuite accounts where families and small businesses use Nest products with gsuite accounts today. This is an example of buying into an ecosystem only to be bullied into doing something you never planned or wanted to do - it leaves a bad taste and damages trust. If you want to buy products and services with a longer term plan in mind, google is proving they are not the company to buy from.

Original review: April 11, 2020

Recently my doorbell was stolen. Nest claims that it will send a replacement for free if this occurs. I made a police report. I sent the paper I was given to Nest. They said they wanted the final police report with more details. I emailed the detective in charge of my case and he could not email it, for security reasons, but he said that I could pick it up at the police station. I am 68 years old, I live in Brooklyn and we are in the epicenter of the covid-19 epidemic. 1/5th of the police in NYC have been affected by the virus. I explained to Nest that it would be a great health risk to go to the police station. They said sorry but without the report we cannot send you a replacement. My life for $200 -- hmmm -- Needless to say, I just ordered a Ring doorbell. My neighbor's doorbell was stolen at the same time and ring replaced it immediately without any additional documentation. DO NOT BUY NEST PRODUCTS!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: April 7, 2020

I have been a Nest thermostat customer for years. I needed to adjust what email was tied to my nest account, but forgot the password to my old email/account setup in Nest. Using Tech support, they tired a number of things, talking to "experts", etc but eventually decided that I needed to factory reset my Nest. OK - no problem.... BUT... The Tech never looked at my configuration of my old account to capture the details or realize that my configuration was complex. SO.... The tech guided me to factory reset and then realized that I could not complete the configuration on my own.

In this day and age of the Coronavirus, the tech said, "Well you'll have to find a Nest Pro to come into your house to do the reinstall." So not only do I have to pay $$ for the tech not capturing my old configuration (which he had access to before the reset) but now I have to risk my family getting exposed to the virus? Be very cautious when using Nest support - they are good for basic stuff, but not the complex and will leave you hanging in the end.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Over the past several years I've purchased a number of Nest products for two of our houses. 3 security cameras, 2 thermostats, and a few smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. This review is based solely on my experience with the cameras, everything else has worked great for the most part. I have 2 outdoor cameras at my main residence and one outdoor IQ camera at my summer home. My advice to anyone looking for a security camera for their home is to look elsewhere. The cameras lose connection way too frequently rendering them completely useless as I am all too often unable to check the live footage in a critical moment. I've spent hours on the phone with Nest support (which has also gone significantly downhill since Google acquired the company and outsourced the phone support).

It's worth noting that all 3 cameras are well within range of my routers and we have the Rolls Royce of Netgear routers/modems at both homes with extremely fast speeds (gigabit at the main house, 300mbps at the summer house), so I know this issue does not stem from outdated equipment or insufficient internet connection/speed. I've had too many instances where I've been unable to check my cameras late at night when I hear something strange outside and it's pretty disappointing. These cameras give the impression of home security but are vastly unreliable when you need them most. If I were to do the whole thing over again, I would look at offerings from other companies or potentially get a hardwired system that records locally and does not rely on WiFi at all. Either option would have cost less money and provided better results.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I have a Nest Thermostat and Camera at my main residence. I also have a Nest Camera at my second residence. When I attempt to check my first residence camera, it just buffers and I very rarely receive an image. When I check my thermostat I receive a message stating the thermostat just went offline and check my wifi connection. These products are terrible and if I knew what I know now I would not have purchased them. Stay away from the Nest products.

Original review: March 17, 2020

My fiancé and I had the Nest thermostat installed and it seemed to work fine as she was the only monitoring it. Now we have the Outdoor IQ cam and everything has been a nightmare. Setup wasn't at all as easy as they suggested. I hooked up the hardware easily enough but when you have a question Nest (Google, Alphabet, whatever) wants you to read their endless FAQ section instead of speaking with a real person. I was just on the phone waiting for 1hr and 54mins when "the current wait time is 13 minutes" the whole time. Then I was hung up on. Great...

My fiancé decided to go the chat route on her laptop instead of presumably waiting another 2 hours on the phone. It said she was 130th in the queue. After about 15 minutes while multitasking on her laptop she went back to the Nest chat support page where she discovered that she had been disconnected. WHY IS NEST SO DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH!??! We're paying a premium price for what is likely the most expensive standalone security camera in the residential game but getting some of the worst service I've ever expected.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Used to be really good and now that Google purchased them they have complete morons supporting their their issues. I spent over 10 hours and several days having support trying to address my issue with no resolve. They refused to refund me. I'm selling all my Nest products and switching to an alternative home monitoring system.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information