Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (273 ratings)
Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

About Nest

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Loyal Nest customer with multiple products. Purchased Nest doorbell to compliment the other Nest cameras and the product will not activate/come online. Google Nest told me it was defective and sent a replacement with the same issue. I spent hours and hours and hours troubleshooting with them and it will not work. I even spent $100 on a Nest pro who couldn't resolve the problem. Nest refuses to take the product back and refund my $229 and the Nest pro. The Google acquisition of Nest has been terrible for the consumer. I am appalled how they treat customers and will never ever purchase their products again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Google screwed Nest up beyond belief. My system is no longer works. Nest is no longer compatible with any TV or TV App. Waste of money. Do NOT migrate your account if you’re already up and running. New users are screwed. Google should buy back my perfectly working system before they bought Nest and screwed everyone over. One of the richest companies on the planet and they can be bothered. Joke!!

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

A big company that doesn't offer good customer service. I had issues with the Nest thermostat, and they sent me a refurbished one and I sent my thermostat back. The unit they sent me was incomplete - it was missing the back part of the unit. Many personal issues did not allow for the unit to be installed in a timely basis. They will not send a replacement back. For the pennies it costs them to do, they have lost a customer for life. And I hope many more.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I cannot log in to my Nest account because I changed cell phone number. I have an account for at least 5 years and 7 cameras connected but no access because I simply cannot receive the access code by SMS. I even went to the new Google store in Chelsea NY and they weren't able to help. Their recommendation was to try to recover my number with T Mobile. I tried but the number was transferred to Verizon. Tried them too and the number belongs to a customer but when I call I get an out of service message. It's unbelievable that a company like Google/Nest is unable to verify my account and grant me access.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I am very disappointed in the way I was treated by the customer service department. My outdoor camera was not working because the wire was damaged which was shocking as it should be able to hold up against the outdoors. When I spoke to customer service they did not offer much help which is upsetting as I am a loyal customer with all Nest products throughout my home. I have had other devices such as ring and when anything like this happens they are happy to help as it is a safety issue to not have a working camera and the fact that I pay a fee to Nest have a working camera. I hope things change with their policies.

Original review: July 10, 2021

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS!!!! I bought the entire system all NEST products. Spent over 2k and one of my thermostats went off of my app, and stopped working a week ago.. Spent several hours today, not to count on the last week.. to have the customer service rep.. laugh at me and put me on hold for 20 minutes and then come back on the line to ask me the same questions.. It is 128 degrees where I live and they advised that my product is under warranty however I would have to send my thermostat to them and then wait 10-15 days for a replacement.. I will be taking all of my Google and NEST products out of my home.. Please do not buy these products the un-professionalism and incompetent service will drive you to purchase other products..

Original review: July 1, 2021

Terrible experience dealing with Google Nest. I have had it for many years and sold the house it was attached to and no longer needed Nest Aware. Not keeping up with when the yearly auto renew happens I was charged yesterday 6/30/2021 and reached out to them today to explain that I no longer lived this home or had the system and since the subscription got renewed yesterday I would like to cancel it and get a refund. I was denied my refund after canceling and only being charged yesterday. Very disappointed in the level of customer support. Not to mention in these difficult times big business trying get every cent they can while hurting the everyday people this wrong and Google should be ashamed Google multi billion dollar company can't refund someone 120.00. Terrible customer services and leadership practices.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I bought the 3rd generation thermostat 2 years ago. Easy installation and classy look. Last year went on vacation mid winter and found the thermostat offline and house cold. Fixed that. Now it sets its own temperatures. Summer is here. I set at 72 and come home and it’s set at 80. It offline for no reason and now base won’t charge!! Going back to my old thermostat where I set and forget it. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: May 19, 2021

We have had a best thermostat for over 2 years now. The other day it just fell right off the wall. I picked it up and the ring was dented. It’s difficult to turn when trying to change the temperature so I have to use the app. Used the customer service chat feature and spoke with Courtney. Her response was for me to buy a new thermostat. No offer to assist no apologies that it’s faulty and fell off the wall. Just buy a new one. I wasn’t looking for a free one. Just options. Can I take it somewhere to be repaired? Can I buy the parts. Nothing. Horrible service. I will be replacing it with a non-Nest device and removing their other items from my home.

Original review: May 4, 2021

When I built my home I was encouraged by the builder to integrate the Nest sensor system. In retrospect, I am sorry I did. Google Nest is all about making money, not protecting you and your home. The sensor and thermostat installations keep changing so the mounting and wiring has to be changed as well. The system is hugely expensive and not plug-in-play. Nest has figured out a way to do that to your wallet.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information