Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I have medical issues so I purchased the Nest Hub Max so my family may use the camera to check on me. The camera has worked sporadically at best. After many emails and a 230 minute support call they say send it back for them to look over. They won’t send me a replacement now unless I purchase another one. Or I can wait 3 weeks to ship it back. Let them look it over and then send me a new one. I bought it for safety reasons.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Please don't purchase Nest Thermostat. I had mine for 5 months before it broke. I contacted them they want me to pay for another one and they send me a replacement screen for the one I have. I wish I would have read the reviews before I purchased. Everyone has the same issue with the Thermostat where you lose signal and it won't connect to wifi. Why should I have to pay for another Thermostat and wait for you to refund me my money for selling defective products.

Get buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Nest thermostats are worthless and flawed. We bought a brand new home that included 3 Nest thermostats, which we thought would be helpful. First discovered that the initial deep programming that was complex and not intuitive to set up. We even hired an expert to come in and set up the initial programs. However, afterwards, settings change on their own, Nest Sense is impossible to turn off, and none of the thermostats can be operated manually. FYI, the room temp is 67 degrees. We turn to the heat mode and set the temp at 70 degrees. The heat does not come on and the thermostat informs you that the room temp will be "reached in 4 hours". Evidently, the thermostat has been "learning" that we previously did not call for heat this time of the day, so it will not turn the heat on now.

We called the support number and they, once again, had us turn off Nest Sense, which immediately turned itself back on 2 seconds later. Service could not explain why this was happening, nor did they offer any additional help. We live in moderate climate, so we do not need heat or AC very frequently. We only turn these on and off as required. We do not need all this sensing and learning crap which overrides manual operation. All we know is that these things do NOT WORK and the company is unable to offer any help to fix. There are many other examples where the temperature changed without us changing anything and the Home/Away setting changes frequently without us changing anything. These things have a mind of their own and do not function correctly. Nest thermostats are inoperable, over-designed pieces of crap. Do not buy and, if you already have them, remove them for good old manual thermostats like we are going to do.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

From the beginning I have issues, and now we have 3...three sets of issues. And who can you speak to about a Nest operation issue...NOBODY. I'm not sure I've ever had a product that's company was as big as NEST that has virtually no support and the manuals are so poorly written that my granddaughter could figure out the thermostat maybe and write a better "How to operate" the Nest better than their writers for Nest. Don't buy it. It's not worth it! Too many issues and they haven't worked them out, obviously, from all the complaints. I wish I had known about this site prior to buying the third one.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I have used a Nest thermostat for a couple of years. It all worked great, I could monitor heating system remotely which was essential in the winter due to radiant circulated hot-water heating in the floor, which if allowed to freeze will destroy the foundation. I understand Google bought Nest this year. Suddenly, nothing works. I can't log on to my Nest Account, can't monitor heat remotely, I can't even log onto my Google account. They tell me they're sending me links to change my passwords, but the links are to blank web pages. Save yourself a lot of grief, folks. Find a product other than Nest by Google. It's a train wreck, and there IS no tech support at all.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

After one month the Nest thermostat gave a power error and the support department determined the thermostat was faulty and sent me a smart post label to ship back my thermostat. The label provided to me was apparently to a Warehouse that is no longer In use. Due to this they are unable to locate my thermostat. Two months of back-and-forth emails and phone calls it is determined that I will not be receiving a replacement and that nest is not a trustworthy company. It’s not my fault they sent me a label to a warehouse that doesn’t exist. Since they cannot locate my thermostat they tell me that they can’t send me a replacement. I gave up and filed a dispute with my credit card company and hopefully will be receiving a refund. I would not recommend purchasing anything from them as they do not fulfill warranty agreements and do not treat their customers with respect.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Worst product ever. It took me months to undo all of the smart settings so that I can actually use the thing. Now I don't have air conditioning this whole weekend because Nest decided to lock up for some silly error. I am not happy. I live in Florida and I'm extremely hot. I will be getting a regular thermostat as soon as I can, meanwhile, I get to deal with the Florida heat. And yes it is still hot in November in Florida. I am so incredibly unhappy.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I purchased a Nest thermostat earlier this year. After 8 months, the thermostat's wifi capability failed with a "w5" error. It was diagnosed and deemed defective by Google. They offered to send me a new one within two weeks of receiving mine, or I could set up a Google Pay account, have one shipped and then return mine. I opted for the third option they never mentioned but is listed on the Nest Labs Warranty website they linked to. Apparently the 2-year warranty, as stated, comes with a money back guarantee. It states I am entitled to a refund. However, Google has refused to honor that warranty. I was told that they do not honor the Nest Labs warranty, and will only replace it on their terms.

Now this is the second Nest thermostat I've owned. The first one failed not long after the warranty expired. Generally I was satisfied with the product's features and decided to buy another one. After my latest experience with Nest products and Google, I don't want a replacement. I don't trust the product or them. Their denial of stated warranty benefits is stunning, but not completely unexpected. I simply want a refund for a defective product, but apparently a corporate giant like Google doesn't feel a warranty is legally binding.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

If you have ever called Google with a defective Nest thermostat under warranty it has been a very good experience. They promptly diagnose the issue and if the unit is defective they rush you a new one and you return the old one in order to not be charged for a new nest. Recently the process has changed. If you call now they will work with you to diagnose the issue and if the unit is defective they ask for your Gmail account; no other email account is sufficient. If you don’t have one, they will ask you to create it. They will finally send you an email which takes a day to arrive, but tell you over the phone you are all set and the new nest will be delivered. It turns out this is not the case.

After several days I placed another call to Google Nest and asked the status of the replacement. They again assured me it was on the way. Several more days went by and no nest. I called a third time. I was now informed the email they sent has a link to order a new nest. This was not at all made clear on the first 2 calls. They literally said, “No you don’t have to do anything, the nest is on its way”. 7 days has now gone by with no A/C. As instructed I opened the email and tried the link, but the link is now expired. They say they will now need to get a supervisor involved to send a new link. It will be there within 2-3 hours. Really it takes 3 hours to release an email with a link and RMA number.

4 hours later I’m still waiting on the link. This process is absolutely unacceptable. I have had 2 defective nest units. I would no longer recommend the purchase of a Nest product. There are other thermostat devices that have connectivity like the nest. Though I generally do not condone the additional warranty offered by the retailer I would not buy another nest without that. Google support is inefficient and maddening. At least if you get the retailer warranty you can go back to them for a replacement.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

BE AWARE!! Nest thermostat, the worst and most expensive experience ever which is called “SMART thermostat”. I bought Nest 3 smart learning thermostat from my gas provider company back in May 2019. It was working fine and I was so happy thinking it will save money for a long run (aside from its cool design) but NO. I was so wrong. In Jan 2020 it first started giving E102 error indicating W1 is experiencing overcurrent after 7 months of use (both AC and heat). From the first place, I never thought it was Nest thermostat causing that so I called for HVAC technician to come over and check. He did check everything and could not find any issue with my HVAC so he hooked wires back to my old thermostat so that I can have heat for the winter. He recommended not to use Nest thermostat as his customers complained about this unit as well (I wish I would listen to him).

I called NEST support the next day. After few hours on the call, they determined that Nest thermostat display was not functioning properly so they ordered a replacement. New thermostat worked fine again for 9 months until this week. The deadly E102 error code came in again when I turned heat on. This time, I called NEST support right away, spent like hours with multiple calls, with support, senior support. They troubleshoot over the phone by asking you to switch wires between terminals. They led me to believe that my HVAC is the one that causes the E102 issue not NEST thermostat. I told them how is that possible as this is not the first time it shows me this error and also it was working from Jan to May this year, I have heat for a whole winter and now it gave me the same error code? They still said it must be my HVAC’s issue and requested me to HVAC system checked.

Alright, I called for a HVAC technician, they came over to diagnose. My system is kind of new, installed in mid of 2018, no issue found. I went to LOWE'S and bought a $20 dollar thermostat, they hooked in. Heater turns on. Switch back to NEST, E102 error. WOW. I ended up paying $190 for the service for nothing. I was madly upset. Nest thermostat is tirelessly giving me troubles. At this point, I’m tired of Nest thermostat which claims to be smart to save money ended up costly.

I brought this matter to the senior’s support and also her manager asking for compensation but they refused to provide any help. I was giving them 2 options. Whether they could reimburse me the HVAC service charge as they mislead me telling me that was my HVAC system (which is really their malfunctioned NEST thermostat). Or I will return the Nest thermostat for a refund but they refused to work either case (they will only take it back if you purchased it via Google store).

Within less than 1 year and a half of using NEST thermostat, I had to call HVAC technician twice as Nest gave the same E102 error code. If my HVAC system is incompatible why did not it show this up when I first installed it? Having Nest thermostat is never a wise choice. It costs me more money, time and effort than it saves. Stay away people. Nest is a big name in the market but their people won’t hear you. I submitted all the photos, invoice, evidences but they still refused to deal with it. I’m not surprised that NEST products in general having poor rating, you have Honeywell, Ecobee smart thermostats out there which are just half the price. Nest thermostat is nice when it works. I would never come back for any of NEST products and will spread this experience broadly to all my family and friends and social media so that you won’t have to deal with it like I have done.

Nest author review by Lisa Montgomery

Formerly known as DropCam, the Nest Cam is a self-monitored camera that can be free-standing, mounted onto a tripod, or mounted onto any wall, including one with a metal surface thanks to its magnetic backing. The Nest Cam delivers a 130° wide-angle view straight to your mobile device so you always know when an unusual sound or movement is detected. Monitor your Nest Cam through a free app, which can also be linked to Nest’s thermostat and/or fire alarm/CO monitor to give your home total automation and security.

• No service plan necessary: Every Nest Cam comes with a free 30-day trial of Nest Aware, which gives you continuous footage and storage for up to 30 days. Nest Aware packages start at $10 a month, but if you don’t want to pay the extra cost, you can still use your camera without paying any monthly fee.

• Only buy what you need: Buy as many or few Nest Cams as you need for your home. Smaller homes might be fine with just one camera, while larger homes might want to buy two or three. Nest offers a discount when you buy three or more.

• Potential discounts: Nest works with insurance companies and other security companies to offer discounts to customers who work with their partners. Check out their website to see if you’re eligible.

• Geo-tracking: Because Nest Cam is linked to your phone, it knows when you’re away and will turn on automatically. If you have other Nest components, they will also turn on automatically when you are out of the house.

• Clip and save: Your Nest Cam captures all the moments that happen throughout the day, even the ones you want to remember forever. With Nest Aware, you can clip and save your favorite moments to a separate drive.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Nest Company Information