Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (325 ratings)
Find a Home Automation Systems partner

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

About Nest

Take a home security quiz

Get matched with an authorized partner.

Get started

Nest Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nest?

Original review: July 10, 2021

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS!!!! I bought the entire system all NEST products. Spent over 2k and one of my thermostats went off of my app, and stopped working a week ago.. Spent several hours today, not to count on the last week.. to have the customer service rep.. laugh at me and put me on hold for 20 minutes and then come back on the line to ask me the same questions.. It is 128 degrees where I live and they advised that my product is under warranty however I would have to send my thermostat to them and then wait 10-15 days for a replacement.. I will be taking all of my Google and NEST products out of my home.. Please do not buy these products the un-professionalism and incompetent service will drive you to purchase other products..

Original review: July 1, 2021

Terrible experience dealing with Google Nest. I have had it for many years and sold the house it was attached to and no longer needed Nest Aware. Not keeping up with when the yearly auto renew happens I was charged yesterday 6/30/2021 and reached out to them today to explain that I no longer lived this home or had the system and since the subscription got renewed yesterday I would like to cancel it and get a refund. I was denied my refund after canceling and only being charged yesterday. Very disappointed in the level of customer support. Not to mention in these difficult times big business trying get every cent they can while hurting the everyday people this wrong and Google should be ashamed Google multi billion dollar company can't refund someone 120.00. Terrible customer services and leadership practices.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I bought the 3rd generation thermostat 2 years ago. Easy installation and classy look. Last year went on vacation mid winter and found the thermostat offline and house cold. Fixed that. Now it sets its own temperatures. Summer is here. I set at 72 and come home and it’s set at 80. It offline for no reason and now base won’t charge!! Going back to my old thermostat where I set and forget it. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: May 19, 2021

We have had a best thermostat for over 2 years now. The other day it just fell right off the wall. I picked it up and the ring was dented. It’s difficult to turn when trying to change the temperature so I have to use the app. Used the customer service chat feature and spoke with Courtney. Her response was for me to buy a new thermostat. No offer to assist no apologies that it’s faulty and fell off the wall. Just buy a new one. I wasn’t looking for a free one. Just options. Can I take it somewhere to be repaired? Can I buy the parts. Nothing. Horrible service. I will be replacing it with a non-Nest device and removing their other items from my home.

Original review: May 4, 2021

When I built my home I was encouraged by the builder to integrate the Nest sensor system. In retrospect, I am sorry I did. Google Nest is all about making money, not protecting you and your home. The sensor and thermostat installations keep changing so the mounting and wiring has to be changed as well. The system is hugely expensive and not plug-in-play. Nest has figured out a way to do that to your wallet.

Original review: April 21, 2021

Every time I sign into NEST APP, there is a question for a verification code. I have to tell Nest to send the code repeatedly and when it isn't sent, I get locked out with an error message telling me to try later. I WANT RESPONSIVENESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY FROM NEST!!! I pay for this service and I am not "trying again" because Nest is incompetent and unresponsive!! How about some CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: March 17, 2021

Google Nest has withdrawn call support in the UK. It was a valuable service, and the basis on which I bought more Google smart speakers. As they can no longer be trusted, I won’t be buying google products again. They do not value their customers, using their might to de-value their products at their discretion, after you have bought them. Shame on you google - what features will you withdraw next?

Original review: March 13, 2021

I selected Google as my smart home system of choice, Mesh, Protect, TV, doorbell etc. BAD MOVE! I think if I had access to a time machine - I would head back in time and beat myself around the head until I saw sense and picked something other than Google Nest. The tech based issues I have experienced are: Google TV - It doesn't have all the basic stream/channels you can get on a old gen firestick - so now I have to have both a firestick and google tv plugged in. The NFL channel displays the results before you watch the match (who thought that was a good idea). We are in a different time zone, we can't watch live, we watch matches the next day in Europe! But someone at Google decided to spoil the viewing.

Google mesh - The range isn't as good as we hoped I live in a two bed apartment, it's not palatial and yet three Nest mesh devices do not provide consistent full coverage. And it is supplied with the stupidest plug arrangement I have seen in the UK. Google Mini - Somehow despite being backed by the best search engine - it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of comprehension and use as the Amazon Alexa device I have (I'm so glad I kept her!). Nest Protect - This is good, but has a shelf life, so watch the expiration date when you buy it. Also I have seen others have issues around filters meaning they need to be replaced, I had a bit of an issue after a month or so but a heavy restart seemed to solve the issue.

Nest doorbell - is good, but only if you pay for the subscription. But that is not the Zinger.... The zinger is what I am hoping is the worst customer service practices you will ever come across. It's been nearly 4 weeks since I raised an issue with the doorbell subscription. I have spent over 4 hours in calls and online chats with various 'advisors'. All of whom state they aren't the right department to deal with anything and there is no way to raise a complaint outside the system. My advice with Google Nest is AVOID if you can.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I installed two Nest Learning Thermostats and One Nest E. I was told by customer service that I would not need a c-wire with these models. I had the thermostats professionally installed by HVAC professional. One thermostat required extending the wiring and they suggested I call an electrician. I called Ontech, which is the company that Nest has partnered with to do installations. The scheduling was easy and a young man in a Direct TV truck showed up. He used a two wire nuts to extend the wires and had to use the plate to bring the thermostat off the wall to accommodate the wire nuts. I left a two week work trip and was informed by my dog sitter that we had run out of heating oil and the house was 80 degrees. I returned home to find that the zone where the Ontech technician installed the thermostat was set at 60 degrees but was reading 80. The installation shorted out the zone control valve on the furnace and it was stuck open.

The other zones were also not working correctly, as they were hotter than the set temperature. When no heat was called for the furnace was still cycling on and off. I called Nest and after sending them pictures of my brand new Budaras furnace and TACO zone control panel, and hours on hold, they said you must have a c-wire. This was after the first call when they told me I would not need one.

I called my electrician and he said they have at least two calls a week where they have to remove the Nests and install conventional thermostats. This is especially true with new furnaces. He said they have found you can hook up one to a board but more than one, even with a c-wire, will blow the board. They have found that the new equipment is too sensitive for the Nest and even a 5 zone board like I have, doesn't have the power to keep the Nest charged. He said in some situations the Nest works to maintain the temperature, but does not remain sufficiently charged to maintain internet connectivity. I was able to return the Nests to Home Depot and I have installed Honeywell digital theremostats. After three calls to Ontech, I was able to get a refund of the 100 dollars they charged me for the faulty install.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I bought 2 devices (Google Nest Third Generation) and both of them stopped working. The first one only lasted a few months. The second one lasted just over 2 years. Since it was out of warranty period, they refuse to do anything about it. The customer service is also unhelpful. Basically made me repeat the same steps over and over even though it did nothing. Finally, they just said, "Sorry too bad. We're not going to replace it." Horrible device and experience. Never buying another one of these devices; instead will try Honeywell or Ecobee.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Google Nest's customer service is ABOMINABLE. I have spent a total of 400 hours in the last 4 weeks (I have physically calculated this through my phone log) on the phone with them to try and resolve issues with the Google Nest Router. They don't even publish the Wifi Customer Service number, so every time I have to explain my issues to someone in the thermostat department, only to be left on hold again.

After 400 hours of time with your customer service, they insisted on sending me a replacement device. Before it arrived, I managed to fix the issue through my ISP, since Google Nest is picky with regard to which modems it communicates with. So I filled out the return form and sent Google Nest back their (unopened) device. Now I am getting charged for that device because they lost it!!!! I cannot believe Google Nest, a 3.2 BILLION DOLLAR company, operates so poorly. I will never purchase a Google Product again. Update: I wrote this while on hold with Google Nest Customer Support, 32 minutes and counting, bringing my wait time to 432 minutes in the last month.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Bought three Google Nest cameras. One has never worked. I've been trying since Christmas to get this resolved. After hour on the phone with people who have no clue as to what they are talking about I finally got to talk to a so called supervisor named Milly. She seemed to know how to fix the trouble. Promised me an email with return shipping labels. This was supposed to arrive within 5/10 minutes and 24 hours later no response. She also promised to call me within 24 hours to check to see if I had received the shipping labels, no response after 24 hrs.

It's obvious the people on the phone haven't a clue as to how to answer your questions or make recommendations. I was on the phone for an hour and 15 minutes going back and forth. He would ask me questions, they say, "Hold for about 5 minutes," while I'm sure he was talking to a real technician. They finally sent me a replacement part that does not fit the camera I have. But I'm not giving up. I'm stubborn enough to keep bugging them until I get a new replacement camera I've been waiting for since Christmas.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I have been a customer since it was originally Drop Cam in 09 it worked great. I even paid the yearly fees. Google has ruined it. I will be buying another system.

There’s not enough characters for me to cont.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Love my Google Nest. I love being able to control the lights and temps and be able to see packages getting delivered! I recommend this to everyone! Even helped my mother get her home system set up! She loves it also!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I have medical issues so I purchased the Nest Hub Max so my family may use the camera to check on me. The camera has worked sporadically at best. After many emails and a 230 minute support call they say send it back for them to look over. They won’t send me a replacement now unless I purchase another one. Or I can wait 3 weeks to ship it back. Let them look it over and then send me a new one. I bought it for safety reasons.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

We purchased a Nest system from Dish. It alerts us to every cat, dog or bug near the camera. It is slow to message about movement. A vehicle may come and go before you are notified. The video seems to miss movement. The camera will show me returning home never having captured me leaving. The range is not that great. Nest also goes offline frequently.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Love the cameras and auto detection face recognition. Love the alerts but I get way too many alerts. Just wish outside movement was based off of larger screen size movement vs far away cars driving by.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Please don't purchase Nest Thermostat. I had mine for 5 months before it broke. I contacted them they want me to pay for another one and they send me a replacement screen for the one I have. I wish I would have read the reviews before I purchased. Everyone has the same issue with the Thermostat where you lose signal and it won't connect to wifi. Why should I have to pay for another Thermostat and wait for you to refund me my money for selling defective products.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Nest thermostats are worthless and flawed. We bought a brand new home that included 3 Nest thermostats, which we thought would be helpful. First discovered that the initial deep programming that was complex and not intuitive to set up. We even hired an expert to come in and set up the initial programs. However, afterwards, settings change on their own, Nest Sense is impossible to turn off, and none of the thermostats can be operated manually. FYI, the room temp is 67 degrees. We turn to the heat mode and set the temp at 70 degrees. The heat does not come on and the thermostat informs you that the room temp will be "reached in 4 hours". Evidently, the thermostat has been "learning" that we previously did not call for heat this time of the day, so it will not turn the heat on now.

We called the support number and they, once again, had us turn off Nest Sense, which immediately turned itself back on 2 seconds later. Service could not explain why this was happening, nor did they offer any additional help. We live in moderate climate, so we do not need heat or AC very frequently. We only turn these on and off as required. We do not need all this sensing and learning crap which overrides manual operation. All we know is that these things do NOT WORK and the company is unable to offer any help to fix. There are many other examples where the temperature changed without us changing anything and the Home/Away setting changes frequently without us changing anything. These things have a mind of their own and do not function correctly. Nest thermostats are inoperable, over-designed pieces of crap. Do not buy and, if you already have them, remove them for good old manual thermostats like we are going to do.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

From the beginning I have issues, and now we have 3...three sets of issues. And who can you speak to about a Nest operation issue...NOBODY. I'm not sure I've ever had a product that's company was as big as NEST that has virtually no support and the manuals are so poorly written that my granddaughter could figure out the thermostat maybe and write a better "How to operate" the Nest better than their writers for Nest. Don't buy it. It's not worth it! Too many issues and they haven't worked them out, obviously, from all the complaints. I wish I had known about this site prior to buying the third one.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I have used a Nest thermostat for a couple of years. It all worked great, I could monitor heating system remotely which was essential in the winter due to radiant circulated hot-water heating in the floor, which if allowed to freeze will destroy the foundation. I understand Google bought Nest this year. Suddenly, nothing works. I can't log on to my Nest Account, can't monitor heat remotely, I can't even log onto my Google account. They tell me they're sending me links to change my passwords, but the links are to blank web pages. Save yourself a lot of grief, folks. Find a product other than Nest by Google. It's a train wreck, and there IS no tech support at all.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

After one month the Nest thermostat gave a power error and the support department determined the thermostat was faulty and sent me a smart post label to ship back my thermostat. The label provided to me was apparently to a Warehouse that is no longer In use. Due to this they are unable to locate my thermostat. Two months of back-and-forth emails and phone calls it is determined that I will not be receiving a replacement and that nest is not a trustworthy company. It’s not my fault they sent me a label to a warehouse that doesn’t exist. Since they cannot locate my thermostat they tell me that they can’t send me a replacement. I gave up and filed a dispute with my credit card company and hopefully will be receiving a refund. I would not recommend purchasing anything from them as they do not fulfill warranty agreements and do not treat their customers with respect.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

Worst product ever. It took me months to undo all of the smart settings so that I can actually use the thing. Now I don't have air conditioning this whole weekend because Nest decided to lock up for some silly error. I am not happy. I live in Florida and I'm extremely hot. I will be getting a regular thermostat as soon as I can, meanwhile, I get to deal with the Florida heat. And yes it is still hot in November in Florida. I am so incredibly unhappy.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I purchased a Nest thermostat earlier this year. After 8 months, the thermostat's wifi capability failed with a "w5" error. It was diagnosed and deemed defective by Google. They offered to send me a new one within two weeks of receiving mine, or I could set up a Google Pay account, have one shipped and then return mine. I opted for the third option they never mentioned but is listed on the Nest Labs Warranty website they linked to. Apparently the 2-year warranty, as stated, comes with a money back guarantee. It states I am entitled to a refund. However, Google has refused to honor that warranty. I was told that they do not honor the Nest Labs warranty, and will only replace it on their terms.

Now this is the second Nest thermostat I've owned. The first one failed not long after the warranty expired. Generally I was satisfied with the product's features and decided to buy another one. After my latest experience with Nest products and Google, I don't want a replacement. I don't trust the product or them. Their denial of stated warranty benefits is stunning, but not completely unexpected. I simply want a refund for a defective product, but apparently a corporate giant like Google doesn't feel a warranty is legally binding.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

If you have ever called Google with a defective Nest thermostat under warranty it has been a very good experience. They promptly diagnose the issue and if the unit is defective they rush you a new one and you return the old one in order to not be charged for a new nest. Recently the process has changed. If you call now they will work with you to diagnose the issue and if the unit is defective they ask for your Gmail account; no other email account is sufficient. If you don’t have one, they will ask you to create it. They will finally send you an email which takes a day to arrive, but tell you over the phone you are all set and the new nest will be delivered. It turns out this is not the case.

After several days I placed another call to Google Nest and asked the status of the replacement. They again assured me it was on the way. Several more days went by and no nest. I called a third time. I was now informed the email they sent has a link to order a new nest. This was not at all made clear on the first 2 calls. They literally said, “No you don’t have to do anything, the nest is on its way”. 7 days has now gone by with no A/C. As instructed I opened the email and tried the link, but the link is now expired. They say they will now need to get a supervisor involved to send a new link. It will be there within 2-3 hours. Really it takes 3 hours to release an email with a link and RMA number.

4 hours later I’m still waiting on the link. This process is absolutely unacceptable. I have had 2 defective nest units. I would no longer recommend the purchase of a Nest product. There are other thermostat devices that have connectivity like the nest. Though I generally do not condone the additional warranty offered by the retailer I would not buy another nest without that. Google support is inefficient and maddening. At least if you get the retailer warranty you can go back to them for a replacement.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

BE AWARE!! Nest thermostat, the worst and most expensive experience ever which is called “SMART thermostat”. I bought Nest 3 smart learning thermostat from my gas provider company back in May 2019. It was working fine and I was so happy thinking it will save money for a long run (aside from its cool design) but NO. I was so wrong. In Jan 2020 it first started giving E102 error indicating W1 is experiencing overcurrent after 7 months of use (both AC and heat). From the first place, I never thought it was Nest thermostat causing that so I called for HVAC technician to come over and check. He did check everything and could not find any issue with my HVAC so he hooked wires back to my old thermostat so that I can have heat for the winter. He recommended not to use Nest thermostat as his customers complained about this unit as well (I wish I would listen to him).

I called NEST support the next day. After few hours on the call, they determined that Nest thermostat display was not functioning properly so they ordered a replacement. New thermostat worked fine again for 9 months until this week. The deadly E102 error code came in again when I turned heat on. This time, I called NEST support right away, spent like hours with multiple calls, with support, senior support. They troubleshoot over the phone by asking you to switch wires between terminals. They led me to believe that my HVAC is the one that causes the E102 issue not NEST thermostat. I told them how is that possible as this is not the first time it shows me this error and also it was working from Jan to May this year, I have heat for a whole winter and now it gave me the same error code? They still said it must be my HVAC’s issue and requested me to HVAC system checked.

Alright, I called for a HVAC technician, they came over to diagnose. My system is kind of new, installed in mid of 2018, no issue found. I went to LOWE'S and bought a $20 dollar thermostat, they hooked in. Heater turns on. Switch back to NEST, E102 error. WOW. I ended up paying $190 for the service for nothing. I was madly upset. Nest thermostat is tirelessly giving me troubles. At this point, I’m tired of Nest thermostat which claims to be smart to save money ended up costly.

I brought this matter to the senior’s support and also her manager asking for compensation but they refused to provide any help. I was giving them 2 options. Whether they could reimburse me the HVAC service charge as they mislead me telling me that was my HVAC system (which is really their malfunctioned NEST thermostat). Or I will return the Nest thermostat for a refund but they refused to work either case (they will only take it back if you purchased it via Google store).

Within less than 1 year and a half of using NEST thermostat, I had to call HVAC technician twice as Nest gave the same E102 error code. If my HVAC system is incompatible why did not it show this up when I first installed it? Having Nest thermostat is never a wise choice. It costs me more money, time and effort than it saves. Stay away people. Nest is a big name in the market but their people won’t hear you. I submitted all the photos, invoice, evidences but they still refused to deal with it. I’m not surprised that NEST products in general having poor rating, you have Honeywell, Ecobee smart thermostats out there which are just half the price. Nest thermostat is nice when it works. I would never come back for any of NEST products and will spread this experience broadly to all my family and friends and social media so that you won’t have to deal with it like I have done.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I have Nest 4 cameras, a Nest Thermostat and a Nest doorbell. Within approcximatley 1 year the door bell's night vision started going haywire and finally it stoppped working all together. Customer service agent was extremely nice and helpful and ordered a replacement doorbell. However, in order to keep current doorbell, just so wires weren't hanging off the wall by the front door, I would have to have opened up a Google pay account. I pay my Nest subscription with my credit card but they would not put a hold opn my credit card unless I opened a Google pay account, which I did not want to do. The only other option was to return the defective doorbell and wait for a new one to arrive. I find it a poor business practice to force a customer to open a Google pay account in order to replace a defective piece of equipment which is under warranty.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Initially, worked great. Then the doorbell stopped working after their network went down. I spent countless hours with customer support, at different levels, performing every troubleshooting technique possible (un-install, re-install, delete the app, add the app, sign out, sign in, use a cellphone, use a computer, connect to my mobile Hotspot!, and they requested I lower my wifi speed) and multiple times each, to no resolution.

Weeks later they finally decided they needed to send a replacement. Few months after, the replacement disconnects from wifi and cannot be connected again. Yet another long bought of customer support hoops I had to jump through, the same repeated steps, to no avail, and they sent me another replacement. I should also note, you can't transfer the nest aware subscription, you have to pay for a new subscription with each doorbell. Less than two months later the third doorbell disappeared from the app. I cannot log into my nest account and in the app a message appeared stating "there was a problem connecting to the Nest service. Please try again in a few minutes" but I have been trying for hours with no change.

Customer support denies any issue with connectivity with nest and said that my doorbell is not connected to an account, also claimed that I must have deleted my account. As I'm completely done with Google and Nest, I've canceled my nest aware subscription but they have said they will not give me a refund for the unused amount of the year I paid, only 2 months in! Lying thieves. Don't give them your money!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I had one for four years that worked just fine. Since then, I have had three (sent to me by the company) and none of them have worked. It's been one problem after another. I do not recommend this to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Nest Outdoor IQ Cameras are the absolute worst item on the market. My 4 cameras are installed on the outside of my house, when your installer came out to install the cameras he said, "keep the boxes in case you need the serial # for support", I did. My cameras became disconnected from my Nest Account, I called support, the only way that I can join those cameras back to my account is by scanning the QR code on the back of the camera or by using the 6-digit code that is right next to the QR code-WTH, so the only 2 ways to join/rejoin cameras to a Nest account are next to each other almost 20 feet up the side of my house? PPP, (Piss-Poor-Planning), Nest. I am certain there is another way to rejoin my cameras, I just don't understand why your support cannot help? I am about to sell my Nest products and invest in another company.

Nest Company Information