Milgard

Compare Window & Door Companies

Research top Window & Door Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

About four years ago I contacted Milgard for the replacement of the foggy windows of a condo bought in 2006. Built in 2006, most other condos have had the same problem in this building. I was given the runaround, and after numerous phone calls & messages they said to call SIMI-Milgard for So. Calif. which has horrible customer service. They kept not responding until the 10 year warranty has finished! Milgard has not complied with any warranty and proven dishonesty. There should be a "CLASS ACTION SUIT" against "MILGARD".

We bought Milgard because we were told they were a reputable company to deal with. We now have had to replace about 75% of our windows and have five more that they are supposed to replace. It's been over five months now that we've been waiting, and we just keep getting excuses... the latest is they couldn't find a second workman to put the windows in. Absolutely horrible company and windows that don't hold up. We purchased these 20 years ago and I don't have an order number, and I sincerely wish there was a way to leave zero stars as that reflects better this pathetic company.

I called Milgard for a warranty issue on two of our rental properties which have Milgard windows. The properties are only 12 years old and we have owned them for six years. The tech came out, found three windows with bad seals, put black X's on them, opened the window with the bad spring and proclaimed it needed a new spring kit. He then put all of his weight on the window to close it rather than gently guiding it back down causing the plastic guides to explode. Not a big deal... until I get a phone call from Milgard that tells me there is no warranty on the windows. What about the X's and broken guides I ask? Your problem, I'm told...

After much back and forth and extremely long (one 30 minutes plus) holds on the phone I finally received a service call date for a warranty replacement for a window pane that failed due to an obvious manufacturing defect, that I sent Milgard photos of. Today is May 22nd. The service call date is August 25th, over three months out. Pleeze!!!

Before telling my story, to those that may be reading reviews: Based on my experience I would never ever purchase a Milgard product, ever!! Look elsewhere and cross Milgard off your list. I own a condominium in a building with 5 small businesses on the ground level and 5 condominiums above on the second floor and loft (3rd flr). The windows were manufactured in January 2006, and the building was constructed in 2006. At around 8 years of age, shortly after I took ownership of one of the units and became a board member of our little association, I took on trying to work with Milgard, because a few of the residential units particularly on the 3rd floor gable had leaky/foggy windows (8). By the time I got a hold of Milgard, the windows were 10 years and 2 months old. Well I found because the ground floor is commercial even though none of their windows are a problem, the lifetime warranty is only 10 years. See where is this going?

Counting each piece of glass, now that the windows are 11 years old, 29 out of 39 have failed. These are just on the front of the building. Milgard regional office in Denver refuses to honor the warranty, refuses to elevate my complaint, or even consider doing the right thing and honoring the warranty to repair and replace the glass. Now if this were only a few, maybe, ok. 75% failure rate on the windows and Milgard refuses to do anything about it. Poor quality, poor product, and pathetically poor customer service and warranty. This company should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. 5 owners are now strapped with over $8000 in out of pocket repairs, due to poor products and service from Milgard. Today while cleaning my windows, I discovered another window on the opposite side now leaking. So the saga continues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Milgard?

2015 August we bought 2 windows LARGE picture frame 70". After installing them by a professional licensed contractor, 3-4 months one of them cracked in the interior glass all over diagonal. Repair costs projected to at least 1500 with 2-3 people to replace it. 6 months after, the second window cracks forming two diagonal curves. Both start from a point closest to the aluminum frame. For the first it started from the top, for the second one from the left side frame. Milgard reports no issues or recalls. Yet consumer site shows over 148 complaints as of 05.20.17.

We bought our house 2 years ago — It's 11 years old. We had 9 windows that the seal was broken. I called Milgard and they were really great actually. They came out and replaced them since we made it under the 10-year limited warranty since we aren't the original owners. However, since then, we have lost the seal on 2 more windows that they won't replace. That makes half the windows in our house have failed. When I walk through our neighborhood, it's clear that a lot of people are having the same problems. You can see pink, swirly windows all over the place. Since our neighborhood is still what I would consider newer, it's pretty bad. Obviously these windows are of inferior quality. The home we had been living in was 15 years old and had only lost the seal on one window. Really disappointed in the overall quality.

Leaks, 1/2 the windows are unlockable, the mechanism wasn't glued in on most, the screens are super loose (image about 2 inches of play in either direction) -- and the coup de grace -- 5 months before they will come and look at my installation. Use this company at your peril. They are horrible.

I have had 4-5 Milgard windows fail over the past 10 years. I recently waited several months for technicians to come out and measure a large window that cracked and lost its seal, and a small window with a crack in the vinyl. I was promised a repair date of May 19th and made numerous appointments and arrangements to accommodate the repair. I recently got a phone call from Milgard to schedule the repair even though I had scheduled a date already. Milgard claims the first person I scheduled with months ago failed to enter the date. I am now left with a lot of additional work and rescheduling. Additionally, Milgard says they cannot make the repair until July. I first called them in January.

I have asked to speak to a supervisor and have yet to receive a phone call from one despite two phone calls. I used to respect Milgard and the repairs I needed years ago were made promptly and as scheduled. They obviously have a change of attitude and I have heard from others that it is not uncommon to wait many months for a warranty repair, if Milgard honors the warranty at all.

Had some remodeling done - spent a fortune on new windows and one is leaking. After our contractor called Milgard 15 times they sent someone out just to verify the leak was the window and not installer - which is was. That was back in December and still no date for repair! Calling weekly but no response. DON'T BUY Milgard windows!

After six weeks of trying to get a window fixed under warranty I have gotten zero help from Milgard windows. I have broken glass which has been stated to me by the contractor that is under warranty for life. I spoke with a representative for Milgard windows and he said a service ticket would be written up for the repair. That was over three weeks ago. 10 days ago I asked for an update with no response. Not getting much help from Lowe's either. Milgard's service is proving to be absolutely horrible.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After contacting Milgard to explore a case which might have been under warranty, I found out their glass breakage warranty is worthless. There are no reasonable conditions under which it would ever be valid. The person on the phone told me that a baseball coming through the window would be covered, but only if it is accidental. If it was intentional, it is NOT covered, as it is considered civil disobedience. How would one ever prove in court whether it was intentional or unintentional?? In our case, it was an accidental discharge of a BB gun. However, even though it was an accident, because they consider it a weapon, it is considered civil disobedience and not covered.

So, just be forewarned: The product is good but the warranty is worthless so don't make your decision based upon that. As a result, I feel I was misled because the salesman told us that "a child throwing a toy through the window" would be covered. Of course, that would only be true if it was an accident, according to Milgard. Do not pay extra.

One of my windows broke on the inside while I wasn't home. Milgard says it's not under warranty, suggesting the cold caused it. I live in Southern California. Cold? My warranty doesn't mention breakage or even cold weather. Seems they are reading from a newer warranty they now use. They won't budge. Sorry I didn't use another company. Will gladly put out the word never to use Milgard.

We put 35K worth of windows in our home based on the lifetime warranty Milgard offered. We called them in November of 2016 because 1 of the 5 3X5s had failed and had so much moisture in it that we couldn't see the view of the water, which is why we put in 5 large windows. They had us measure the window and told us they wouldn't send anyone out until 1/25/17. I was disappointed because I had to look at this window all through the holidays. They sent one man out yesterday. He said they never told him the size of the window and he didn't have a piece big enough and also it was a two man job and they only sent one.

We called today to make sure they would send someone else out soon but they said it would be another 6 weeks before they can re-schedule us. A lifetime warranty is great if they have people to service the windows but apparently they don't. My husband tried to get a supervisor on the line but the woman with whom he was speaking could hardly speak English and said someone would call him tomorrow. I took a day off from work to meet this repairman who wasn't the least bit sorry that he didn't have any glass on the truck to do the job.

Lifetime Warranty. Don't believe it. I think I will spend a lifetime trying to get a simple repair completed. I continue to get the runaround from Milgard. They sent the small part to a local dealer 7 weeks ago. Milgard told me the dealer is busy and will get to me. The dealer tells me Milgard won't agree on the payment process. The dealer won't schedule the repair until Milgard settles how they will pay them. I call Milgard Sacramento office for the fourth time in 2 months and am finally told they won't work with this dealer and will have their own people take care of it and will call me. 10 days later. No calls. I call the Tacoma headquarters and was told they don't have their own repair people. Next, I was passed on to someone's voicemail and once again left my message of despair that the warranty department has failed me. How many more wet, rainy days must I tape and towel my window until they can figure out how pay their contracted dealers?

We had four windows and two sliding doors [Milgard Tuscany Windows & Sliding Doors (Vinyl)] recently installed to replace 40 year old aluminum windows and doors. We live near the beach where it is sometimes very windy. After installation, the wind penetrated the windows and vibrated our window blinds, and also our slider leaked air which cause the swaying of our vertical blinds. The air leaks also defeated the insulation effect of the new double-pane glass as our rooms are as cold or colder than when we had our old windows in.

Milgard sent out a service rep who added some more insulation material to the corners of the windows. This did not work and we requested a second service rep for help (total time to get the two reps: about 3 months). The second service rep said that the windows and doors conformed to their technical specifications and that there was nothing he could do. How could we be charged over $12k and have windows that do not keep the wind out? It looks like there will be litigation with our installer and Milgard over this matter. It is a very sad state of affairs.

Ordered milgard windows. One window didn't close. Took 2 months. Literally 2 months. To get tech out to fix it. Didn't fix it properly. Then when I called customer service again to report window still not closing properly (and now weather cold) they are making me wait 1 month for tech to get out to fix problem.

I remodeled my home in 2009. I also used them on my old house remod in 2000 and I had no problems. I had installed 23 Milgard windows which came with a lifetime guarantee. For some reason the outside pane on my large living room window broke. Unknown cause. I called Milgard and within 10 days the window was replaced. When I spoke to the lady at Milgard I asked if my son threw a baseball through it would it be covered. She said, 'yes'. I asked if a week later he did the same thing if it would be covered she said 'yes'. I asked if a week later if it happened again if it would be covered. The lady said "we will want to talk to your kid"! So far all has been good.

I noticed on my first remod the first time I closed them all how quiet it was. For my two rear sliders I chose Anderson. Honestly I don't know why. They have chips from my dog and only come with a ten year guarantee. I also was told that they are owned by Home Depot a company which I now avoid. They have products made specifically for them and the quality is not there. I read about these nightmares with windows rotting etc. I have had none of these issues. Maybe because I live in SO California? However I do know you must have sufficient overhang to avoid water striking your windows directly. Anyway very happy with Milgard and would not hesitate to use them again. As far as my builder? He was a moron and I had to constantly watch him.

We bought a 13 year old house. We have at least 7 windows and 2 skylights that have failed. Called Milgard twice and customer service told us since we weren't the original owners and it has been 13 years, the "lifetime warranty" has become a worthless nothing warranty. I even left a message for a higher up in customer service and did not receive a callback. The higher up must be so high he cannot return phone calls. What kind of warranty goes from lifetime to worthless in 13 years???

I am the second owner of a Pulte home that was built with Milgard windows. I am having trouble with a large sliding glass door binding when the door is shut. I called Milgard and after the third call which was transferred to California (I am in Arizona). I got a case number. I was instructed to call an Arizona number to schedule service. I called the Arizona number and was told their computers were down and to call back later. I called back a day later and was told by another person that the Milgard lifetime warranty only applied to the original owner. They said therefore the original warranty to me was only 10 years and 10 years had come and gone Feb. 2016. Milgard further told me that if I had contacted them before Feb. 2016 they could have fixed the problem. I didn't have a problem before Feb. 2016. It is obvious that Milgard does not know much about customer service.

When I purchased my home in 2010, the existing but new Milgard slider and window was already defective, with extreme streaking on the inside between the dual panes of glass. I called Milgard at that time since the windows were newer but they claimed the warranty went with the original homeowner and not the house. After much hassle and many phone calls, Milgard finally agreed to replace the windows. They were not nice about it. Their customer service at that time was so poor and their attitude so snarky, I was shocked since I had previously assumed Milgard was a good company.

Fast forward 6 years and the slider window they replaced has now become defective again. The streaking is covering the moving side of the slider. It is a complete eyesore and we live on a lake and our views are important to us. Well today when I called Milgard again about the issue in hopes they would stand behind their product and offer us a replacement, they basically told me it's not their problem. They told me I'd have to go through a local distributor to pay for the replacement, or I could go through them at a considerably higher cost.

The representative in the service and quality control was so cold and disinterested; she had a complete lack of concern or even consideration for my concern -- twice now the windows are defective. She never once said, "I'm so sorry for your experience." And she certainly never said that Milgard stands behind their products! They obviously don't and I would say to anyone considering a Milgard product, don't! Try American Vision, Pella or anyone else, but not Milgard.

We purchased windows from Milgard only to find that the windows all had, what I think, sloppy finishing: vent windows misaligned, sealant around sealed units very sloppy. Upon my complaint and after their technician's assessment (he agreed that the workmanship was sloppy), the local Milgard rep stated that "the windows are within industry tolerance levels for workmanship." In other words, the windows are OK. So, nothing was done. Nowhere did I find a statement re: industry tolerance levels. So much for "customer satisfaction guaranteed" as stated in the Milgard brochure.

I built a brand new home 3 years ago and had ordered new doors and windows from Milgard, for about $30,000. My problems started as soon as the products started being delivered with wrong sizes, wrong styles, wrong type, defective etc... our construction was repeatedly delayed for months and months to wait for the right door and window to be built again.

Right after installation the other problems started showing up: the window and door material was deforming, they shrink and expand, crack the stucco, and around the edges gaps started to appear in the walls, water started getting in the walls. They agreed it was poor material and had to be changed. It is now 3 years... and our house has been like a never ending construction site! We have hardly been able to use our patio and backyard. The doors that they finally replaced last month cannot be opened and closed properly! They are cracking and breaking off. The rest of our windows are also have moved and damaged the walls. I honestly am the most patient guy in the world, and I kept thinking that they will correct this, but finally I am tired of it. Thanksgiving and Christmas are just two month away and my family is going to be visiting us... but we are still in limbo.

Please before you buy any Milgard product, email me (**), and I'd be more than happy to talk to you and even show you what you are going to be getting. When you pay so much money, you truly deserve to be treated with fairness. I will keep you updated with the repairs. I am hoping this is not going to be turned into a blog.:))

We built our house using Milgard windows because of their lifetime warranty. The house is 11 years old and several years ago we had three failed units replaced under the program - all went well. However, this year (2016) we had four more failed units and 6 single hung windows that are very hard to operate. In June, we contacted Milgard and got on their schedule to have a service call. 7 weeks later, the serviceman arrived with two of the four units, as the two others were not shipped for the repair. The serviceman repaired two of the single hungs, as he did not have enough items to repair the others. 6-7 weeks later, they replaced the remaining two failed units, but failed to bring items to repair the single hung windows. We are now 5 months into this service request and no date to resolve the remaining repairs. Under Milgard's warranty, they state "Lifetime", but I'm not sure if it's my lifetime, as it is taking forever to get the basic repairs completed.

We purchased a house that is 13 years old and have a large arched window that failed allowing moisture to get in between the panes of glass. I notified Milgard and was immediately told the window was not covered. Their warranty is lifetime only to the original purchaser or 10 years to a subsequent buyer. Since the builder or contractor installing the windows will typically be the original purchaser their warranty will be typically only be 10 years long. Their advertisement of a lifetime warranty is false advertising in my opinion.

Milgard is a horrible company to deal with. I'm having ongoing issues with the windows I ordered and they've been nothing but a pain to deal with. Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on the windows but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. If you're considering buying Milgard do more research and reconsider.

I recently ordered 19 Essence wood windows and doors for my new residence. I have had nothing but problems and issues from the time they were delivered until present. To begin, the quality of the product for what I paid for is less than acceptable. The first service representative that was sent had no clue what he was doing and proceeded to take pictures to show his supervisor. A new service call date was scheduled and I took a day off from my teaching job, which is not easy to do when you teach high school mathematics, in order to meet with a new service rep. Milgard scheduling called 2 hours before they were to arrive to cancel the appointment as the items needed were on back order. This demonstrates poor customer service and terrible overall practices. I am very dissatisfied at this point with Milgard products and service.

I've bought at least 8 Milgard windows via Lowe's over the past 4 years. They were all generally small fiberglass framed, tinted windows (max 5' x 4'). The design and construction was not particularly impressive, but I used them. The locking mechanism could have been easily improved. The last one I needed was ordered May 31st 2016. I've called Lowe's 3 times and - given they are essentially middlemen - they can only recite a new (and delayed) delivery date. Finally, after speaking with the surly and dishonest Milgard personnel directly about my chronically late, simple window order (3' x 3'); I can certainly recommend to everyone - never buy their product. Lowe's should also reconsider carrying their product line.

I ordered 11 Milgard windows and 1 Milgard sliding glass door through a window contractor. Every unit had defects in them. Whether it was scratches in the glass or defect painting, or careless packaging, all the units came from the factory defect in one way or another. I ordered a premium color the exterior and it was sprayed on defectively to the point that one could clearly see the white vinyl underneath or see the paint oversprayed. There was absolutely no paint quality control from the factory. The hardware on nearly all the windows had scratches, and had to be replaced, one window had a chipped vent that needed to be replaced. (It was replaced with another vent that was also chipped, and we are still waiting for another vent). Both vents on the wood clad windows were defective as if someone forget to fasten the corners together. The sliding glass door was missing all the enhanced locking mechanisms.

To date, since February 2016, the date of installation, I have gone back and forth with Milgard and my contractor to rectify these problems. To date, the Milgard service tech has come to my home twice now, and each time, something has been missing from my order. The Milgard service representative cannot seem to put a complete parts order, and to date, my windows still have defective paint, and missing parts. I am flabbergasted at the difficultly of this window replacement and the poor customer service from Milgard. 6-week delays in between every service order. I am thinking this process will stretch into 2017 at this point. I have completely lost faith in any quality control and customer care from Milgard. I wish I had found this website before I ordered from Milgard.

Had dual pane Milgard windows installed to replace single pane windows. One of the windows had dirt between the two sheets of glass. I called the store that sold them, no response. Call a local dealer who said he did repair work for Milgard. Waited a long time. Called Milgard customer service. They said the local dealer would take care of it. We are about one year into by now. The window came and they came out to replace it. They replaced the wrong window and in the process scratches ended up on the new glass. I now have two windows that are defective. It's been two years since I first reported the defect. These are big windows 4x6. Milgard is not taking responsibility and the local dealer wants me to go away.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

Milgard has been building doors and windows for over 50 years. It has certified dealers in 18 western U.S. states, including Hawaii and Alaska as well as in Alberta, and British Columbia, Canada. The company prides itself on personalized customer service by offeringface-to-face and online guidance to consumers.

• Broad range of products: Milgard manufacturers 12 different styles of windows and seven styles of doors. Both product lines offer products made from wood, fiberglass, vinyl and aluminum.
  • Offers design guidance: Customers can consult with professionals on how best select windows and doors to create the look they want.
  • Local experience: Consumers can visit a local Milgard certified dealer to discuss their needs face-to-face.
  • Full lifetime warranty: All doors, windows and installation are backed by a warranty.
  • Committed to sustainability: All products are energy efficient and environmentally friendly.
  • Best for Milgard is best for people who are environmentally conscious, homeowners, condo owners, landlords and business owners.

Compare Windows & Doors