1.40/5
  • 1 star
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Milgard

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 13, 2018

176 Milgard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

All of my Milgard windows that receive any direct sun have failed. The windows are all fogging up from gas escaping and one is so bad it is like frosted glass. Milgard has not responded to my request for service. Since I am the second homeowner, their lifetime warranty becomes 10 years only. The windows are 8 years old. Milgard created a case number for me and that is it. Based on the other complaints I have read across the web, this is their business model. The windows work great mechanically but the glass seals failed before the ten year mark.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Purchased Milgard windows for a new home construction project 8 years ago, largely because they came with a lifetime warranty. I've had two significant failures, including the breakage of the spring mechanism for a double hung window. At the time of the spring failure, the bottom of the window sash broke where the spring attaches. Not upset by having this problem but trying to remedy this problem with their customer service department has be the most frustrating experience I've had as a customer.

Their Customer Support Department is ABYSMAL and INCOMPETENT. They've supposedly ordered the replacement parts 4 times, all with mistakes. Nobody takes responsibility or ownership of the problem. They promise follow-up and fail EVERY time. If you intend to do business with this company, be aware. Even the employees I speak with tell me they are a communications disaster and basically shrug their shoulders as I beg for help to resolve a broken window I can't close in subzero temperatures.

Milgard response

Hi Thomas - I want to apologize for what you've experienced with us so far. We have always taken great pride in excellent customer service and it sounds like we really fell short. I'd like to help. Can you please email me at social@milgard.com? Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Buyer Beware! This is my HORRIFIC story dealing with Milgard Windows & Doors (https://www.milgard.com/). We had an appointment to replace 9 windows under warranty on our home on 9/7/2017. When the service technicians arrived they did not have the correct windows with them so we had to reschedule service for Nov 2017. When they arrived in Nov at 8:00 PM they determined that the measurements taken on 9/7/2017 were incorrect and they found additional windows that needed to be replaced (13 in total) so they need to rescheduled the install for Jan 8, 2018 (this was the earliest that they could come to our house).

Here we are in Jan 8, 2018 and they do not have all the windows once again, in fact, they only have 6 windows. The level of incompetence with this company is astounding! I have looked at all options to remedy this situations by talking with the manager to talking confirming with the call center that they had all my windows on order. None of this helped! Based on legal advice, I have decided to let them install the 6 windows that they brought. Again, Buyer Beware!

Milgard response

Hi Francisco - I'm so sorry to hear about your story. This should not have happened. I apologize for what you've been going through. Can you please email me at social@milgard.com so I can help? Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We purchased our custom built home over three years ago. Several large picture windows were bad at the time but I didn’t know where to find information on the windows. So I spend a lot of time researching them and making phone calls which took weeks to get calls back. Now to find out the warranty expired just two months ago. Milgard will not even send anyone out to look at the windows. It is apparent that the seal on the windows has been broken some time ago by the amount of debris on the inside of the entire windows. Plus you can see the suction cup marks from the windows being put together. Super poor quality and very bad customer service. Very disappointed.

Milgard response

Hi Sheila - I'm so sorry to hear about this. The warranty is for the person who purchases the windows. I'm sorry they did not convey that to you with the sale of the home. If you would like a Milgard service tech to visit your home, there would be a fee associated with that. Please let me know if you would like that option by contacting social@milgard.com. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We have had to have 20 plus windows replaced (some of them twice). The service just gets worse. In April 2017 I called for 3 windows. Measurements were not done until June. Fast forward to January 2018 and I am still waiting for 2 windows. My service appointments: #1 didn't load windows on truck; #2 wrong grid pattern; #3 window broken on truck; #4 forgot to put window on truck; #5 window made incorrectly; and today #6 they just never showed up for the appointment.

I have a phone message giving time and date. We were home all day waiting. No one even called. I have missed work 6 times and moved furniture (including a piano) 6 times and still no windows! To make things worse, when I call they will say sorry and schedule me again 2 months out. That will happen after I spend 30 minutes on hold waiting for someone to answer. Our home builder has stopped using Milgard because of poor customer service. Poor quality windows and horrible service.

Milgard response

Hello M.B. - We really appreciate that you took the time to tell us about what happened. We have always taken great pride in our customer service and quality and it sounds like this has not been your experience with us. I apologize for what has occurred so far. Can you please email me at social@milgard.com so I can look into this for you? I'd like to get this resolved promptly. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Milgard?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I purchased Milgard windows for my entire home in 2009. It was easily the worst decision of my life!! Every winter these windows freeze almost solid on the inside. The first thing I did was check my humidity levels, they were ok, 25-30%. I have had Milgard service out multiple times and they try to appease me by doing trivial things like replace the felt around the seals, no help at all! We're in the middle of one of the worst cold spells in years and I can't shut any blinds at night due to the issue. I still wake up to several inches of ice at the bottom and middle of the almost every window! My mother in law has my same home one block away and I helped her buy another brand of window last year, no problems at all. Be warned and stay away!

Milgard response

Hi John - Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm so sorry to hear about what you've been going through. If you can email me at social@milgard.com, I'd like to look into this for you to better understand if you ordered windows with an energy package for your area and get service scheduled. Thank you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We built a new home in 2017. In July, this sliding glass door was installed and I immediately knew there was a problem. We contacted the local distributor and they in turn contacted Milgard. In August a Milgard representative appeared and assured me they sent a faulty product and promised to get this handled. The house was completed mid-November and you can see what we are living with. The rep from Milgard did no follow up nor will he return my calls. I'm getting the full runaround and meanwhile cannot get out to the back of our new home.

Milgard response

Hello Bart - you and I have been in touch via email. We are working on getting this resolved for you. I'll have an update for you shortly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Their warranty is ridiculous - so if your contractor buys a window they are the original owners and you're SOL. If the window is a "lifetime warranty" then it should be covered regardless of who owns it. This isn't something you can just take and move with you. Their customer service is horrendous too. Called in for information on my windows and they don't keep any records and the girl hangs up on me. Makes me regret buying some new Milgards to match the ones I had. Stay away from this company!

Milgard response

Hi Thina - I think there has been some confusion. If you purchased the windows, you are the original owner and covered under the Full Lifetime Warranty. Can you please email me at social@milgard.com so we can get this straightened out? Thank you for the opportunity to help.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Seven window seals have failed and the warranty excludes all but the original owner of the house. Be careful if purchasing a home that has Milgard windows as you might have to replace a large number of windows at your own expense. I believe the windows are defective as I have owned several homes and never experienced this seal failure that results in trapped moisture between the window panes. Do not recommend purchasing this brand.

Milgard response

Hi Yvonne - I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. The Full Lifetime Warranty is for the person who purchases the windows. Our owners have provided us with great feedback that they value the warranty. I'm sorry that it does not apply in this situation. As you shop for windows, you'll find that our warranty is the best in the business. If you need further help, please contact me at social@milgard.com. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have a house full (~14) of Milgard windows from 2003 and 2010. They are fiberglass low E with panes. So far a total of 7 windows have "failed" in my San Francisco home. When you call to report the problem, no one calls back, when you email, sometimes you get a response. By my experience is that they take 4 to 6 months to come out and measure the window, and another several months to come out and fix it. Here's the latest: In January 2017 I reported online and on the phone that the seal between 3 of our casement windows had broken and there was moisture between the glass. They came out in April 2017 and measured the 3 windows. The soonest they could come out was the end of Sept 2017, but the day before they called to say, "Whoops, we don't have the windows," so they scheduled me for Oct 24.

Then, on October 24 during service call time window, they called to say "sorry no windows, but we'll send someone out to re-measure" (they had already measured in April). I was scheduled for the windows to be fixed/reinstalled on Nov 18. This time, I called them and said "are you sure you HAVE the windows". Sure enough - whoops, still don't have the windows. I'm dealing with their Hollister office (a very non-apologetic "service" manager) and also their corporate (Tacoma) service person.

Waiting just about a year to get the windows replaced is not a warranty for me. Interesting - no one has said - "sorry" and or "can we give you a gift card", can we do something to compensate for what is clearly a lapse in service. Not sure how this company can stay in business. Meanwhile, mold is forming in the 2 bedrooms where the failed windows are. No one seems to consider this urgent. I am giving them a couple of weeks and if no windows, I am going to order new ones, and go to small claims court to get them to reimburse. Of course, I will never buy another Milgard window in my life.

Milgard response

I'm so sorry to hear about all the trouble you are going through. I'd like to help. Can you email me at social@milgard.com?

Resolution response: Nov. 22, 2017

The Social Media department helped to resolve this issue when Customer Service would not budge! Kuddos to Joann at Milgard, and to this site for making the connection!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The original purchasers of our condo bought it as new construction in 2009. We purchased it from them in 2015. In the last year our windows have fogged extensively. I called Milgard in October of 2017, and they said that the warranty expired in July 2017 because the windows were manufactured in 2007. Our condo was not even built then! The warranty says it starts on the date of PURCHASE of new construction, and extends to subsequent purchasers for 10 years. The rep actually quoted this language to me & then insisted the warranty expired 10 years from the date of manufacture. Guess it is time to head to small claims court. Very disappointing and frustrating!

Milgard response

Hello Felisa - thank you for taking the time to contact us about this. Our Warranty states that: "The Warranty starts on the date of purchase of the Home as new construction or the installation of Milgard windows or doors." All we need is the documentation to show the date the original owners purchased the home to show that the 10 Year Extended coverage is still valid. Can you please email me at social@milgard.com so I can help? Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Why are these people not being sued all the time? We bought top of the line custom windows and they came very poor quality. It is like they have no-one doing quality control at the Simi Valley plant. The assembly looked like it was done by someone who was on their first day on the job. Waited months for a tech to come look and he agreed they were substandard and now months later nothing has happened. I wonder if I could take them to small claims court?

Milgard response

Hi Steve - I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. In our 50+ year history, quality has always been very important to us. If you can email me at social@milgard.com, I'd like to look into this for you and ensure your products are working as expected. Thank you.

Resolution response: Nov. 18, 2017

Since my initial posting a company representative came and inspected my windows. Apparently all we need is a good caulking job. Thank you very much Milgard. I would still like to suggest that Milgard should change the description of its warranty to LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY which truly reflects the kind of warranty that is offered. To do otherwise is probably not exactly truthful.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

"Second owner" windows failed massively in January rainstorms. A contractor built 3 homes and decided to live in one of them till the market downturn improved. My friends bought one house. I bought my place when the contractor decided it was time to sell. I was the first PURCHASER of the home. Both my windows and those of my neighbors failed. Yet Milgard callously claims, by fiddling with English, that I am the second owner. I am dangling in the wind. Don't buy from this company.

Milgard response

Hello Helen - I'm so sorry that the terms of the Full Lifetime Warranty were not made clear to you when you purchased the home. As you learned, it applies to the original purchaser of the windows, which is this case, was the contractor. If you need help finding a window dealer in your area, please email me and I can help. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am a second owner of a very nice house that is now eleven years old. At least 10 windows have fogged in the last year. No warranty! Even replacement glass will only have a five year warranty and totally at my expense. Most of the competition has lifetime on replacement glass. Unfortunately, no help from Milgard.

Updated on 11/03/2017: Since my last submission a few months ago, more windows are now fogging up! Wow, what a disaster! No warranty to second owner, even replacement glass installed by their service people will only be warrantied for 5 years! I will replace the smaller windows myself otherwise the costs are huge! Beware!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Apparently, after reading the other similar complaints on this site, we're not alone. But here's a brief description of our very poor service: On June 13, 2017 we ordered double French doors (with sidelight windows) for our home; they were delivered to Home Depot in Pinetop, AZ over 2 months later. They replaced a huge window that looks out into the woods. We had a custom home builder/contractor do the installation and saw that the door unit was off by 3/8", meaning they were wider at the bottom than the top! Have to lift up on the door and slam it shut. Contractor waited on the phone for 45 minutes, and ordered another exact replacement from P.O.#**, asking for an "expedite", which now seems comical. Obviously, we cannot add final molding, stain and seal the interior or install some shades for privacy. The contractor stuffed some insulation into the side cracks and nailed boards onto the bottom to keep out bugs and critters.

I spoke briefly with the manager of sales, who did not apologize for the error, but told me to contact Home Depot and that it would take at least 40 days to build another replacement door. The door size was larger than the window we removed and was configured as per info on the Milgard website, the contractor's framing was spot-on. HD is being very helpful on our behalf. I have left many phone messages for the manager of sales to return my call (again, pretty comical) and she's always on a "conference call". I need more info about the new door as far as reference numbers and time, etc. The contractor deserves to be paid for his time on the 1st install, and it will NOT be out of our account.

The second door will also NOT be out of our account... are you reading this Milgard?? It was your error! No customer service, horrible product control, otherwise I wouldn't be adding this complaint to a list. I do hope we get some help from Milgard because the door is beautiful and will add a lot to our home... it just won't close without lifting up and slamming really hard. Snow could fall early in our mountain community and that pink insulation just won't cut it! We need a new replacement door and soon. Will someone please take action and show some genuine customer care? I am a certified customer buyer... HD customer invoice#** (6-13-17) and PO# below.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Have home with at least 5 failed window seals, including 2 skylights and sliding glass doors from Milgard. Since I am the second home owner the Lifetime Warranty doesn't apply. Not sure why buying a home should cancel out a lifetime guarantee on a window. As a home owner I have done nothing to make these windows fail... It is a failure of the manufacturing and window product itself. Of the windows in the home that do not have failed seals, they are difficult to open close. Am very disappointed with the Milgard product and would caution anyone looking to purchase these products. Especially if you are purchasing a used home.

Milgard response

Hi Martha - I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. As you have learned, the warranty is for the person who purchases the windows. We can provide you with a list of dealers in your area who help 2nd owners with window replacement and repairs, if that is helpful, though they will charge their own fees. If you would like this list, you can email me at social@milgard.com.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

On December 25, 2016 one of the main windows of my home was broken by a golf ball. No problem, I thought, I have replacement warranty on the window. Within a week I called Milgard, regarding the replacement and was scheduled for March, 2017 - which was concerning as I live on the coast of Northern California, and one pane was broken and glass shards were coming off. However, I accepted this. The day before my window replacement was due to happen, I was called and told there was a backlog on the product and that my window would not be replaced until May. Extremely frustrated at the extended timeline, I left messages for the unnamed supervisor which were never returned.

In May, the window replacement arrived, and due to inaccurate instructions on where to locate the serial number for the window, it turned out to be the wrong window. Technician indicated he would submit new order and attempt to get a rush on it. Milgard called the next week to let me know that the window replacement was scheduled for August 8. On Friday, July 28, Milgard called to tell me that the technician was unavailable to install my window on August 1 and it would now be October 12. I explained that I was told August 8, they said no, and that they would put me on a list, should an opening come up sooner.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, as we will now be approaching 10 months since my window broke, for the replacement. I left a voicemail, which has never been returned. I called again on Monday, July 31, as was told there were no openings yet, but I remained on the list, and that again, a message was left with the supervisor to contact me. I am now getting letters from my homeowners' association regarding the situation, as my home has a huge piece of plywood covering this window, on the front of my house. This company has extremely poor sense of customer service and I am unable to get any support from any managerial person at their site. I have also attempted to put a note on their Facebook page to get support, which has also been ignored. Any help you can provide is great. Thank you.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I am the second owner of a home. I have a house full of Milgard Windows which do not open, or are nearly impossible to open. I have two kids and I am scared to death they won't be able to open a window to get out if there is a fire. If not a single window in the entire house works properly, the windows are either poorly made or defective. I've asked Milgard to supply the parts needed to make the windows open and close. They've stated unequivocally that because I am the second owner, they are not under warranty so it's not their problem. A house full of windows won't open? I see this as a life and death matter for my kids and common decency for a company. What horrible customer service. Someone contacted me about a class action suit. Hmmm.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Product needs QA, Fantastic Local Service Rep. Our local contractor admitted that he tested our windows we had ordered for a 7-window replacement job. He ordered the correct windows and either he had the wrong SKU/poor sales support but it took 12 weeks for the windows to arrive after he had measured the windows several times for accuracy. The installation was a bit of a nightmare for my contractors team due to some preexisting work and conditions, but also because they were trying to hurry through it, and did not do it right the first time. Most of the windows worked 5 out of 7, but two had problems. For the two windows that did not function they were separate issues - one had been missing a catch component on the inside for the latch close and release, there was a hole but no part.

For the second, it was tricky because the window frame was bowed in, and we validated using a level. This was an alignment for the window to slide down and function to catch and close. So, fast forward to 2 months later, where my contractor only contacted his rep and not Milgard directly, we set up a call and had them come out the next day. We had the best Glendale-Phoenix service rep visit where we not only had the root cause of the window problem explained in detail to us, we had our service rep fix our issue without taking any shortcut or rushing through the job! He did all the right parts, and devised a phenomenal fix for the bowed out window (contractor issue) and left us the correct type of spray (Silicone Spray) for window maintenance. Couldn't be happier on what I feel as one of our best service calls since I have moved to Phoenix. 5 stars!

Original review: July 12, 2017

These windows leak and a poor quality. We had the glass replaced in six windows a few years ago. Unfortunately, we had an additional 3 windows that continued to fog up and have water between the panes. Those were also replaced. Now, we have 3 windows that need to be replaced AGAIN. I contacted Milgard in April 2017. The glass was to come in May 15. When I contacted them regarding installation, they told me to wait 1-2 week and someone would contact me. It is now July 11th and I still have no replacement windows. I would never recommend this company to anyone... Not even someone I did not like. They offer poor quality customer service and an inferior product. Too bad our builder chose them when he built this house. They should be ashamed!

Original review: June 13, 2017

We first bought Milgard windows for our kitchen in early 2016. Two panels on one window did not open and close correctly. We were told to spray WD-40 into the tracks to help them slide smoothly. We did not do this as it seemed it could clog the wheels as normal dirt and dust got into the works. We asked for a technician to come out and find out what was wrong. We were told that they could come out after our doors were installed so they'd just have to make one trip to "tune them up."

In November of 2016, we ordered two sliding doors from Milgard. We were told there would be a six week wait for delivery. They were delivered over three months later. When installed, the doors did not slide correctly. A technician came out, but he was only there to replace a broken lock on one door. He said the doors and windows seemed to slide okay to him. He used a razor blade to cut away the weather stripping, saying that was impeding the door's ability to slide smoothly. His fix did not help at all, it just destroyed the weather stripping. The weather stripping is now hacked and uneven, some of it is below the level of the frame, rendering those areas completely useless. He also sprayed silicone into the tracks, saying that we had to do that regularly for the doors and windows to work right. All this did was make a huge mess and turned the tracks black. The doors and windows still did not open correctly.

Another technician came out and said he felt the door worked well for the little wheels they were using on them. He explained that they use the same wheel mechanism on the big sliding doors as they do on the little window panels. He said the bigger the door, the harder it should be to open. The wheels are not designed for the large doors. We live in a housing tract, the doors are not an unusual or special order size. According to this guy, by design, the heaviest door should be extremely difficult to open and close. He agreed that the bigger doors should have heavy duty wheels, but that's not what Milgard uses. He took one panel out of the window and replaced the broken wheels. That window works fine, but the other one is still stiff and difficult to open. He was unable to get it working as smoothly as the other one. To this day, it is still more difficult to open.

At this point I will say that these windows and doors, the way they slide in the tracks, are absolutely not working the way they do in Milgard's own showroom. There is no oily residue in those tracks, they do not regularly spray them with goop in an attempt to get them to work well. The windows and doors installed in our home are not as advertised, we feel like they did a bait and switch on us. I will also point out that our old doors were made in 1985 and worked smoothly and easily. They were double-paned, as the new ones are. They were also metal and "heavy" and yet, they were easily opened even by a small child. The new doors take a lot of effort, even by the technicians, to open and close. My grandkids are unable to open them at all. I am unable to use the door.

After my husband showed the contractor how the door grinds against the frame and is being scratched as it opens and closes, his distributor came out to look at it. He agreed to talk to Milgard about replacing at least that panel. He also agreed that the panel should slide more easily and there was something wrong. The next technician showed us that the panel installed was the wrong panel, wrong serial number and should not have been delivered with that frame. He promised to fix it and have it done right.

We were scheduled for today, June 13, to replace the panel. The man who showed up today had a handle in his hands. No panel. A door handle. He said he was replacing a scratched door handle. He had no information or knowledge of the door panel and said he had been scheduled for this and this only. A Milgard rep called me and said they didn't have two technicians available to install the panel. When I asked why they scheduled today to do it, then didn't actually put it on their work schedule, she put me on mute as I spoke. She came back with an amused tone and said she will schedule it for tomorrow and that's the best she can do. She didn't ask if I was available, she didn't ask if it was okay, she simply stated that they'd be here tomorrow.

After several reschedules (with my husband taking off work to be here), after having them tell me that I'm standing in the wrong position to open the windows, after them trying to convince us that big doors should be nearly impossible to open, I'm done being patient. I feel they've ripped us off and been extremely dishonest and incompetent. They've dragged their feet for months and my house is in an unfinished state with Milgard products that are substandard and don't work properly.

Milgard is not good quality, their customer service is extremely poor and they really don't care about their customer's satisfaction. You have to hound them to even get them to deliver doors and windows that you paid for, within the time frame that they set. Apparently you can't expect the products to work as advertised, either. I would put in an order number, but they haven't given me one. My contractor asked for it and was told that no one in the office currently knows it or can access it.

Original review: June 6, 2017

About four years ago I contacted Milgard for the replacement of the foggy windows of a condo bought in 2006. Built in 2006, most other condos have had the same problem in this building. I was given the runaround, and after numerous phone calls & messages they said to call SIMI-Milgard for So. Calif. which has horrible customer service. They kept not responding until the 10 year warranty has finished! Milgard has not complied with any warranty and proven dishonesty. There should be a "CLASS ACTION SUIT" against "MILGARD".

Original review: June 2, 2017

We bought Milgard because we were told they were a reputable company to deal with. We now have had to replace about 75% of our windows and have five more that they are supposed to replace. It's been over five months now that we've been waiting, and we just keep getting excuses... the latest is they couldn't find a second workman to put the windows in. Absolutely horrible company and windows that don't hold up. We purchased these 20 years ago and I don't have an order number, and I sincerely wish there was a way to leave zero stars as that reflects better this pathetic company.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I called Milgard for a warranty issue on two of our rental properties which have Milgard windows. The properties are only 12 years old and we have owned them for six years. The tech came out, found three windows with bad seals, put black X's on them, opened the window with the bad spring and proclaimed it needed a new spring kit. He then put all of his weight on the window to close it rather than gently guiding it back down causing the plastic guides to explode. Not a big deal... until I get a phone call from Milgard that tells me there is no warranty on the windows. What about the X's and broken guides I ask? Your problem, I'm told...

Original review: May 23, 2017

After much back and forth and extremely long (one 30 minutes plus) holds on the phone I finally received a service call date for a warranty replacement for a window pane that failed due to an obvious manufacturing defect, that I sent Milgard photos of. Today is May 22nd. The service call date is August 25th, over three months out. Pleeze!!!

Original review: May 21, 2017

Before telling my story, to those that may be reading reviews: Based on my experience I would never ever purchase a Milgard product, ever!! Look elsewhere and cross Milgard off your list. I own a condominium in a building with 5 small businesses on the ground level and 5 condominiums above on the second floor and loft (3rd flr). The windows were manufactured in January 2006, and the building was constructed in 2006. At around 8 years of age, shortly after I took ownership of one of the units and became a board member of our little association, I took on trying to work with Milgard, because a few of the residential units particularly on the 3rd floor gable had leaky/foggy windows (8). By the time I got a hold of Milgard, the windows were 10 years and 2 months old. Well I found because the ground floor is commercial even though none of their windows are a problem, the lifetime warranty is only 10 years. See where is this going?

Counting each piece of glass, now that the windows are 11 years old, 29 out of 39 have failed. These are just on the front of the building. Milgard regional office in Denver refuses to honor the warranty, refuses to elevate my complaint, or even consider doing the right thing and honoring the warranty to repair and replace the glass. Now if this were only a few, maybe, ok. 75% failure rate on the windows and Milgard refuses to do anything about it. Poor quality, poor product, and pathetically poor customer service and warranty. This company should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. 5 owners are now strapped with over $8000 in out of pocket repairs, due to poor products and service from Milgard. Today while cleaning my windows, I discovered another window on the opposite side now leaking. So the saga continues.

Original review: May 18, 2017

2015 August we bought 2 windows LARGE picture frame 70". After installing them by a professional licensed contractor, 3-4 months one of them cracked in the interior glass all over diagonal. Repair costs projected to at least 1500 with 2-3 people to replace it. 6 months after, the second window cracks forming two diagonal curves. Both start from a point closest to the aluminum frame. For the first it started from the top, for the second one from the left side frame. Milgard reports no issues or recalls. Yet consumer site shows over 148 complaints as of 05.20.17.

Original review: May 8, 2017

We bought our house 2 years ago — It's 11 years old. We had 9 windows that the seal was broken. I called Milgard and they were really great actually. They came out and replaced them since we made it under the 10-year limited warranty since we aren't the original owners. However, since then, we have lost the seal on 2 more windows that they won't replace. That makes half the windows in our house have failed. When I walk through our neighborhood, it's clear that a lot of people are having the same problems. You can see pink, swirly windows all over the place. Since our neighborhood is still what I would consider newer, it's pretty bad. Obviously these windows are of inferior quality. The home we had been living in was 15 years old and had only lost the seal on one window. Really disappointed in the overall quality.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Leaks, 1/2 the windows are unlockable, the mechanism wasn't glued in on most, the screens are super loose (image about 2 inches of play in either direction) -- and the coup de grace -- 5 months before they will come and look at my installation. Use this company at your peril. They are horrible.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I have had 4-5 Milgard windows fail over the past 10 years. I recently waited several months for technicians to come out and measure a large window that cracked and lost its seal, and a small window with a crack in the vinyl. I was promised a repair date of May 19th and made numerous appointments and arrangements to accommodate the repair. I recently got a phone call from Milgard to schedule the repair even though I had scheduled a date already. Milgard claims the first person I scheduled with months ago failed to enter the date. I am now left with a lot of additional work and rescheduling. Additionally, Milgard says they cannot make the repair until July. I first called them in January.

I have asked to speak to a supervisor and have yet to receive a phone call from one despite two phone calls. I used to respect Milgard and the repairs I needed years ago were made promptly and as scheduled. They obviously have a change of attitude and I have heard from others that it is not uncommon to wait many months for a warranty repair, if Milgard honors the warranty at all.

Milgard expert review by Joseph Truini

Milgard has been building doors and windows for over 50 years. It has certified dealers in 18 western U.S. states, including Hawaii and Alaska as well as in Alberta, and British Columbia, Canada. The company prides itself on personalized customer service by offeringface-to-face and online guidance to consumers.

• Broad range of products: Milgard manufacturers 12 different styles of windows and seven styles of doors. Both product lines offer products made from wood, fiberglass, vinyl and aluminum.

• Offers design guidance: Customers can consult with professionals on how best select windows and doors to create the look they want.

• Local experience: Consumers can visit a local Milgard certified dealer to discuss their needs face-to-face.

• Full lifetime warranty: All doors, windows and installation are backed by a warranty.

• Committed to sustainability: All products are energy efficient and environmentally friendly.

• Best for: Milgard is best for people who are environmentally conscious, homeowners, condo owners, landlords and business owners.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Milgard Company Information

1958
1010 54th Avenue East
Tacoma
WA
www.milgard.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use