Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
LG Microwaves
1.24/5

LG Microwaves

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

218 LG Microwaves Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 4, 2019

On Jan. 18, 2019 we purchased the above referenced microwave. It never worked when we brought it home, and Best Buy stepped up and just let us trade the non-working one for one that did work. Now, less than 3 months later, the machine stopped working overnight--lights and turntable work, but no heat or cooking is generated. Working with LG customer service warranty department is a nightmare.

The customer service staff is very difficult to understand, when you are transferred to another department, there are very long wait times to connect, and instead of having it repaired locally, LG wanted me to pack it up and mail it to them. I have had LG equipment in the past and been satisfied. However, after this fiasco I will never buy another from them. All this hassle on top of not having a working microwave. My hope is that they will just pay me the purchase cost and let me get on with my life with a different brand. The customer service department and website are not user friendly at all.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I picked up 2 LG stainless steel above range microwaves that were both used, very attractive looking models, 1 was purchased 1 week before the other from different places and they both have the exact same cracked door. The door cracks on the side by the handle just below the arm that locks in place exits the frame. This has to be happening to every single one made since I got 2 in 2 weeks.

For all of those who picked out all brand new LG products for their choice of appliances I have to ask if they would have chosen them if the name was Gold Star? Remember that terrible low quality manufacturer from the 1990s that made complete junk? Well it's the same company that changed their name around 2000 to LG! How about that! Did you know this? Of course you didn't or you never would have considered LG for anything especially to be your brand for all your major appliances. Sometimes you need to research companies before you buy them. New names like Samsung, LG, Daewoo, Funia, Symphony, Orion, Oritron, iHome, Emerson, Visio, Trutech, Durabrand, Insignia, etc...

All have some background, while some of these brands may make 1 or 2 good items, Funia is 1 of the largest manufacturers of all products made in China (kinda like a Mitsubishi or Sony in their own right) that actually makes products for dozens of companies including Sony and a long list of their own sub-companies plus for their own brand name as well. You would be surprised to know just how many other brands they provide parts for. Yet most would pick a Samsung over Funai any day of the week, just to pay more for something that's probably not even better or maybe even inferior to a Funai brand item.

Funai has been around forever like Matsushita, Nakamichi, Sony, Yamaha, Mitsubishi, Matsubara, Akia, Awai, Nippon, JVC, and other Asian companies who have all made good stuff at one time but their parent companies have changed as the names are sold to larger conglomerates who names are never shown on their products. Most recently Samsung bought out the Harmon Group which has been making top notch audio gear for generations. Infinity, JBL, Harmon Kardon, Crown and others will no longer be what they once were, this happened 2 years ago and if you haven't noticed yet these companies are not winning any high praise from the groups that once held them as top in their field. This is why it's important to know who really makes the stuff you buy.

Samsung is a maker of junk, plain and simple. They bought Harmon to try and get their foot in the door on car audio electronics and have really no other interest in continuing making high end audio, they will try to phase them out and apply their own brand name audio which will follow along their same disposable electronics junk they have shown to make in the past. You will see nothing impressive coming from them, all flash and bells and whistles. More plastic molded stuff like they're used to making and they will market it for those who will fall for it. Looks definitely aren't everything when it come to electronics, but many will learn the hard way. As most who bought LG did!

Get expert buying tips about Microwaves delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had purchased LG-MICROWAVE MJ3296BFT on dated 9th Nov 2018 from National Videos Sector 20 Panchkula. It's burnt out second time in 3 months. The product itself has some fault but technical team keep sending technicians to fix it. They need to fix the issue rather than fixing the product each month. I raised my second complaint # **. The first time it was repaired on dated 31st Jan 2019. Now they are ignoring my calls and wasting my time. I had a talk with Mr. ** and Mrs. Bhavna **. But they are not interested to resolve my issue because their product is SOLD and now it is a big headache for me.

Original review: March 24, 2019

We bought the LG countertop Microwave (Model LCRT2010) at Best Buy. We usually purchase an extended warranty whenever we buy appliances, but for some reason did not this time. A few nights ago, everything cooked just fine, but when I tried to warm some cooled food, I noticed that it didn’t seem to be any hotter. Sure enough the next day it wasn’t warming the food. It’s two years and 9 months old. For God’s sake! An appliance should work longer than this! I guess those little children in China just can’t make a product like our ancestors used to. LG, never again. How are you even in business??

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We purchased LG microwave oven that failed approximately 4 months into the warranty period. The warranty reads that “LG will, at it’s option, will repair or replace the Product“. LG’s policy apparently is not to do either of these things for countertop microwaves. They refused to repair or replace the unit, but suggested that we purchase another unit. They did in fact refund the original price of the unit, but now the unit could only be purchased for $30.00 more. As the request of a customer service agent we submitted the new receipt indicating that a price adjustment would be given.

Long story short, not only did we have to do the leg work and go out and find another unit, we have had to absorb the difference in the price. DO NOT BELIEVE THE WARRANTY! Had we known that we couldn’t trust the warranty and the customer service agent, we would have chosen another brand of microwave. Although we have purchased other LG appliances (TVs, dishwashers etc) we will not make that mistake again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG Refrigerators?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I received my LG Microwave with Smart Inverter December 2017. My only complaint was that on rare occasions it didn't seem to work at full power. However, one day my son put something in it and turned to walk away and heard a sparking sound. When he turned around there were flames coming from the small metal panel on the right inside wall. He turned it off and took out the food and there seemed to be a hole in the panel. We didn't know if it would work anymore and didn't want to try for fear of fire.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Bought this unit in Feb 2016 from Best Buy for $116.00 and yesterday, 3 Jan 2019, it died. Never again with LG. Quite the appointment as the older ones lasted some 12 years and it was not a name brand unit.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I purchase this microwave for $116.00 at Home Depot. It is 3 days over the 1 year manufacturer warranty and last night it started sparking and there are burnt spots on the inside! Only 2 people have ever used this appliance, it's been kept clean and properly used. I will never buy an LG again!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've had this LG model LMV1683ST microwave under 2 years. I had my house remodeled by a contractor and spent $13,000 for new appliances. They choose LG for Refrigerator dishwasher stove and microwave. Then after 2 years later it suddenly started to making sparks and flames from one of the shelf hooks in the microwave started. If hadn’t been there in time, it had all the makings of a major catastrophe and burning down my home. I removed the metal shelf thinking that was the issue, but it was not. It happened again, and this time I unplugged the unit, and I'm at the point of removing it from my wall and tossing in trash. When it comes to LG customer support or Technical support even executive services they’re useless.

I’ve been trying now for weeks to get this resolved and get a replacement but as of yet there’s no resolution sight. I don’t trust this unit even if it’s repaired. Microwaves are not supposed suddenly burst into flames. I asked customer support if they would want this defective unit their home. Reply no. So then they’re saying it’s ok for a consumer to have it their home and risk harm to their family. As stated before. LG says their initials stand for Life's Good. Should be Looking Grievous. Or LNG Life’s Not Good.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Following in quotes is my last communication to LG about the warranty claim for my over-the-range microwave. Following their second opinion mentioned in the communication they finally replaced the unit. Honestly I have a house full of LG appliances and electronics and all in all I’m happy with them all but if my warranty experience is anything like standard, I hope your product never breaks. The following stands as my review:

“I have a warranty claim for a $189 over the range microwave that’s been going on since 7/11 with 6 repair visits and another scheduled for 9/21. Everything has been replaced at least twice and some things 4 times and it still doesn’t work and still, regardless of my begging including a desperate letter to the company president, you refuse to replace the unit. Your last reply was that my request was denied and you were seeking a second opinion. Turns out it’s from the same repair company who have already sent two different technicians. Love your products. HATE your warranty service. Case **. Service costs listed on visit receipts exceed $1,700. Seems a bit much for a $189 unit. PLEASE HELP!!!”

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Just removed our kitchen last year. We brought this microwave in Aug 2017. Only lasted 14 months. One day was heating a biscuit, it started popping smell like wires were burning. Now it doesn't heat. Was told $125.00 just to come out. If it took longer than 15 minute to repair it would be another $65.00 up to $175.00. We decided that buying another brand would be better for us. We will never again buy a LG product. Our other microwave is a GE Profile and is over 7 years old and never had any problems. I wish I would have done a better job checking out LG appliances.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I purchased an LG Easy Clean microwave in 2014. The unit wasn’t exactly cheap but I figured I’d invest in a better quality unit. Recently (2018) I noticed the smell of burning and sparking coming from the unit. I opened the door and noticed that the inside lower left corner was physically melted??? I have never experienced anything like this with any other microwave in my life. Obviously I felt this was a safety issue and an obviously defective microwave.

I called LG and jumped through all their hoops, providing them photos etc. They were supposed to call me back (they didn’t). When I called back I was told that they only offer a 1 yr warranty and the fact that I got 4 yrs out of it was good. Umm, a melted door is good??? Long story short, LG told me I can try to find someone to repair it but it will be costly and recommended I buy a new one. Yup, after only 4 yrs. I asked if a “MELTED DOOR” was particularly concerning to LG? He said no, it’s 4 years old. Umm, well I guess it had a good run in LG’s eyes. I’ll never buy from LG or any affiliate again. WOW!??

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I bought an “LG Microwave Smart Inverter Magnetron” at Lowe’s, the higher priced larger microwave. After a few short months it completely stopped working while I was using it to heat up food. Only use is frozen meals, or heat food / drink about once a day. The longest period of use is 8 minutes. I contacted LG and they asked for a receipt before they would refund. I sent the receipt via email as they requested. After 6 weeks, they called and said I would need to go buy another LG and THEN they would reimburse me after I sent them a proof of purchase. The problem with that is, I don’t want another LG because of the chance of breaking and going through all of this AGAIN! Also, what if I get stuck and I am then $600 down the drains. The customer service is in Hong Kong and I had a difficult time communicating. #NEVERLG!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The exhaust fan never worked correctly. One speed- Turbo. Loud. Very loud. Two service calls and three phone calls to the Executive Service Department, along with a dozen to the service provider company, yielded nothing. Bought in June, installed in July, with calls for service starting four days after delivery, have now, in mid-September, yielded nothing. No one calls me back, not even the Executive Service Department fellows, Bryan, Willie and Milton, who each assured me they would call me back within five days. Nothing. No repair, no exchange, no return, no nothing. LG does not stand behind its products. Don't expect any service. Don't buy from Home Depot who says they do not deal with service problems. Avoid a problem with defective products and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING WITH LG ON IT.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I purchased an LG Microwave P/No 3850W2A233P. The handle seems to be made of stainless steel - what a stupid thing to do since 90% of Microwaves are located above ovens. The heat from the stove and the pots and pans heat the handle and no warning label or anything lets consumer knows to be careful. That never happened with my Samsung Microwave and we owned it for 13 years. WHAT A Waste of money. My son got burned so bad we had to take him to the doctor. Horrible product. DO NOT BUY.

Original review: July 18, 2018

On September 29th 2017 we purchased an LG Microwave from AJ Madison. May 31st 2018 The Microwave stopped working. The Microwave is under warranty. It took LG 2 weeks To give us the number to a service tech. We were to call service tech ourselves and set up appointment. The 1st tech that they gave us, did not even service in our area and did not return our call for over a week. Second one didn’t return our calls or answer the phone for 2 weeks. We asked for another service tech. The 3rd was also not returning calls. 3 weeks later we hadn’t even seen a tech. Week 4 we get a tech, they came over with 3 possible parts that may or may not have needed changing. They changed all 3 parts 1) Magnetron 2) door switch 3) capacitor. None of which fixed the Microwave.

Week 5 they decide to replace the Computer board. This also did not fix the issue. Still into week 5 LG asked for a copy of my receipt, which was provided to them VIA email. With that receipt LG was to decide whether to refund my money or give me a new Microwave. Today is July 18th, 2018. LG did not respond to email regarding return or refund. We called LG customer service several times this week and their recording said “We are not accepting customer service calls at this time.” This day 7/18/18 they answered our phone call only to tell us that we are to call another tech for yet a 4th visit to my home, and a month and a half with no Microwave! I replaced my 23 year old GE profile (that was still working) for this! This review is directed towards LG only! Not AJ Madison. This is absolutely without a doubt the worst customer service I have ever heard of. I will never purchase another LG appliance. I am seeking legal advice at this time.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I purchased the LG Microwave Oven (MC2886BRUM) on 16th November, 2017. The above mention product is still under warranty. Within 6-7 months, on 31st May, 2018, the product stopped functioning, and we had no other choice other than lodge a complaint with LG customer care. The Complaint No. is ** dated 31st May 2018. Unfortunately, till date (6th June, 2018) the problem has not been resolved, and LG team is not at all bother about it. Two times service representatives has visited, did enough R&D activity, tried to resolve the issue through lot of trial and error method, but did not able to identify the problem. The product was almost dismantled, and at least 6-7 spear parts has been removed and replaced but still the problem has not resolved.

My home became a free of cost R&D centre for LG. Even if the product gets repaired in future, then also, all of us can understand what will be the situation of a 6 months old Microwave Oven after this heavy trial and error activity. From past 6 days, I am literally begging to LG, but they are not at all bother to resolve the problem. Previously I had some bad experience with LG Service, with some other product, but I thought that is an exceptional incident. Now I am sure that “we are under trap of LG once we purchase their products." Pathetic after sales service. Please avoid LG.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Worst experience I have had as a consumer - ever. I ordered an LG microwave 1/3/18 through a third-party, AJ Madison. It was delayed weeks (not LG's fault), when I finally received it and plugged it in it had a code of death - F11. It never worked, not even ONE SECOND. That was middle of March. It's now May 3, 2018. I have sent in repeated receipts, responded to their letters, requests for more information, taken pictures, cut up serial numbers, signed declarations that I did in fact buy the microwave.

Gotten the third party involved and had them try on my behalf to no avail! They now want me to send them a receipt having bought a second one of these before they'll send me my money back for the January 3, 2018 purchase! I'm on hold again with LG, 26 minutes into it and the customer service wants to 'explain the process to me' - you've got to be kidding me. LG, as a very American, cooperative consumer who has purchased 14 appliances in the last year and done lots of shopping - this is the WORST customer service experience I have ever had!

Original review: April 26, 2018

Purchased top of the line LG microwave. Have not had it (6) months - it got so hot that had we not noticed & pulled it out I believe it would have started a fire. It burned up! NEVER will I purchase a LG product.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We purchased all LG appliances in 2012, I had to replace the microwave in 2015 and again in 2018, they just stopped working. This last one I had stopped working 1/2 thru cooking, the turntable stopped turning and it would not heat. 3 microwaves since 2012... These are not made to last, it's sad, I liked it when it was working, I would not purchase this brand again... And when I complained to LG all I got told was, "Sorry. It's not under warranty." JUNK.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I also had a LG refrigerator that only lasted 5 years. Terrible products. So I saw the Magnetron has a 10 year warranty so I called and they told me on the phone, it would cost me 125.00 right there for the service call and the technician would come out and replace the Magnetron and if it was over 30 min I would pay 35. Extra. When the guy came he looked at the microwave and said, "It is the Magnetron and I ordered it but it did not come yet, and you owe me 35.00. I will be back in two weeks with the part."

I am furious. I asked him what that 35.00 was for and why did he come out without the part and he said, "I charge 160, so are suppose to pay me 35.00 no matter what." 1. Why did he come here without the part? 2. This is not what they told me on the phone. 3. I called them to complain and they said exactly the same thing to me and then when I asked for a manager, the CS person said, we have to review your call and you have to pay him for ordering the part, and then he said you have to pay him for extra time and then he said something else.

When I pointed out all the various things he said, he said, "We have to say these things." He refused to put me through to a manager. He said, "We will call you tomorrow and review your call." Which is nuts since he said the exact same thing to me and the service guy said something different. Also the CS rep said, "Well 70-80% of the time the service tech brings the Magnetron." So I pay extra time because I am in the 20%. Also NO ONE SAID I needed to pay another 35.00 when he came. They said, "If he goes over 30 minutes." So, so wrong.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I had purchased top of the line LG stove in 2009. The very first time using it my house burned out my whole kitchen and half the house. Now this microwave that was replaced in 2009 has once again set my house on fire. My God do they do any quality control testing? Several recall notices too on said stoves. Just unbelievable.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Microwave had a fire in the fan/exhaust area and spread to the cabinets. It could have spread, had I not turned off the breaker. The wiring to the wall had not electrical issues. The fire clearly started from within the microwave. MODEL# LMV1813SW.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have had to stop using my LG microwave (LMV168OST) as the plastic frame around the door glass and handle has fallen apart. I already replaced it with a new one a couple years ago and the same issue happened again with the replaced one. This seems like a safety hazard and I am sure other users have had this happen. Poor design of the door and frame...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I've had this LG model LMV1683SW microwave under 2 years, and I'm tearing it out of my kitchen and throwing it out. First, the turntable started making this awful rumble. LG said it's crumbs in the track. The track was clean, but I cleaned it anyway. Still rumbled. Then sparks and small flames started shooting out of a vent hole near one of the shelf hooks. I removed the metal shelf thinking that was the issue, but it was not. It happened again, and this time I unplugged the unit, and I'm removing it from my wall. LG says their initials stand for Life's Good. Should be Looking Grievous.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

We upgraded all of our kitchen appliances to LG about 5 years ago. Huge mistake! Out of the 4 (refrigerator, oven, dishwasher and stove), 3 have had major, repeated issues. And each appliance was very expensive. In light of all the issues, I have still not ever filed a review or complaint on any site until now. Because I’m hoping my review will help you keep your family safe.

After having it for about 5 years, our LG Extenda-Vent over the range microwave caught on fire! Sure, there were issues before like others have mentioned-the extenda-vent won’t close and the pieces of it broke off due to heat from the oven (poor design clearly as it is an over-the-range unit) but this time, my husband heated something up and the microwave went up in flames! Real flames. Luckily we had an extinguisher and put it out quickly but what if the kids were home alone and tried to heat something up? What if we weren’t right in the kitchen and noticed the smoke??

I have now read many complaints of these microwaves catching on fire—what will it take for a recall? Or for someone to shut down LG completely? All of their products (fingers crossed for the stove) have some major design flaw. And others are right about the customer service, too. I have spent hours of my life on the phone with them, for a variety of recurrent issues, without good results. Who has time for that? Please keep your family safe and go with another brand.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I purchased LG micro oven in March 2017, with model number MC2846BV. But recently it has developed burnt marks on the plastic door and steel door frame. The product is under AMC for three years and paid RS 3000 for AMC charges. We complained regarding the problem to LG service but they haven't replaced or repaired it even though it is in warranty period. Attached are the pictures. I request the concerned office to take necessary justice to me. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have a black stainless over-the-range microwave. After 10 months the touchpad has quit working. I have to have the microwave unplugged because, if I plug it in the fan runs and the microwave appears to be running but none of the buttons on the touchpad work so I cannot shut it off. I first contacted Lowe's service on Nov. 6 and didn't receive a followup call from LG so I called back on Nov. 9. Finally got a call from a service company on Nov. 10 but they could not get anyone out until the following Wednesday and we were going to be gone. The service company canceled the case and I was told I needed to start the process over when I returned home.

I started it again on Nov. 28 and still no call from the service company. Called LG but all they would tell me was that I had to wait until the end of the day. My question to everyone who reads this is: How do we get the big box stores to stop selling LG appliances? LG doesn't seem to care at all about customer satisfaction. Perhaps if Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy or one of the other big box stores canceled their contract with LG, perhaps LG would look more seriously at the service they provide. Any suggestions on how consumers could accomplish this?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I bought an LG 2.0 Microwave from Home Deposit. After only 3 months it started making horrible noises each time the glass turntable rotated. I called LG customer service. I was told to submit my invoice by PDF and would receive a refund check. That info was received. Two weeks later a different LG customer service employee wanted me to sign a waiver before they could issue a check. They also wanted photos of the metal serial number even though they were verbally given to them the first time. BTW: They don’t repair microwaves, but supposedly and eventually cut you a check for another LG microwave upon proof of purchase. Of course they never explained that initially as their rules change with every contact. I told the CS rep. after the fourth call to me (forget about trying to contact them) that I use a microwave every day and can’t wait weeks or months for them to reimburse me.

Besides, why would I want to buy the same LG microwave again. I got another brand of microwave the day after the defective one. This is exactly where they want you. You are skeptical of LG microwaves, you bought another brand, so basically you will never be reimbursed for their defective product. This type of deception should result in a class action lawsuit. I believe that stealing $130 is a felony. They didn’t assign any order number to this case, but I have all their correspondence and screenshots of their acceptance of my submitted receipt.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

2.5 years and the touch panel dies a slow death. First the #7 button stops, then the #0, and so on. This is our second LG appliance to fail in short time. My first microwave was a Sears and lasted some 15 years, as did my mother's, also a Sears product. I'll NEVER buy another LG product again. Breville will be our next buy.

LG Refrigerators expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LG is a popular, top-rated technology company. It sells a range of electronics and appliances that span from cell phones to air conditioners. The company focuses on providing intuitive products.

• Charcoal lighting heater: The inner element combines with a charcoal filament to enhance the flavor of the dishes. This feature is available on some LG models.

• Temperature control: The grill that is included in some microwaves can be programmed in terms of temperature for a more controlled cook.

• Multifunction: These microwaves are able to grill, microwave or bake/roast with a convection heat.

• Lightwave technology: This special element creates food that is crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

• Easy clean cooking: The special coating on the inside of the oven allows you to clean it with just a wet cloth.

• Best for: Commercial kitchens, small families, couples and large families. The multi-functionality of these microwaves makes them ideal for singles, families and professionals using them to create top-quality dishes.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs