2. Homeowners
  3. Pool Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.03/5

Kayak Pools Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak Pools?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak Pools?

Original review: June 27, 2020

Ordered a pool. Was told it could be fully sunk. Wrong. The given a different pool option wrong. Now a supposed tree fell on it. Next. New pool to be installed as led lady Friday. Nope. Still waiting. Every time we call we get Ceilia. Completely worthless. Has to go thru her manager for everything and manager refused to ever call us or get on the phone. Now we’re waiting on installers to let us know a date. Meanwhile sand and pool parts have been killing our grass for over a week. If not for permits for this pool I would have cancelled this whole deal. Very shady people from sales to service. They have two more days then we will cancel this disaster. 17000 for nothing but aggravation.

Original review: June 25, 2020

This is a shady business. The customer service was top notch until I made my deposit on the pool. I was lied to by the Salesperson. I asked if there were any delays due to COVID (which was a deciding factor in our decision for this summer) and was told “NO, we are pumping them out pretty good!” I was then lied to by the installation department and told that the pool would be in and installed within our 21-28 day timeframe. Prior to this everything said “above ground is typically 21-28 days.” This was AFTER I asked again if there were any delays due to COVID.

I called on a weekly basis for an update (because until last week they never checked in like they said they would). Day 21 was Monday of this week and I have yet to be told when my pool will be delivered, much less installed. I am now at day 24. Next steps are they call me to schedule the delivery day (who knows how long that takes) then within 72 hours I get a call for the actual install date to be scheduled. Given next Wed is day 28, clearly this isn’t going to happen. I explicitly asked again last week if we were delayed and again was told no. Not until AFTER I pointed out that Monday would be day 21 and we don’t even have a delivery date yet, it is looking like to me that we might be delayed.... The install coordinator then acts surprised and says, "Well yes I suppose you might be delayed....maybe a week or 2" (remember every other call was “you are still in schedule to be within your timeframe.”).

I then called the QA department to explain to see if they could help and was adamantly told that they told me I would be delayed due to COVID at the time of my initial install call - This NEVER happened (otherwise I wouldn’t be so upset or confused this whole time of the lack of updates). She said she would listen to the calls and call me right back. That was now 2 days ago and no callback. Feeling lied to and reconsidering this entire purchase and may go elsewhere.

Get buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I cannot speak to the product as we have decided 100% against this type of pool due to our experience with Jay, the sales rep. We were told to set aside 60-90 minutes for a virtual meeting to discuss an inground pool. He was very short, failed to answer our questions and it was obvious that the timing was bad for him and he wanted it to be over. He cut us off during our questions and kept saying "I'm offering you the best price" but would not give us a straight answer on what was included down to every detail (which I would expect on a 30-50K purchase). Our entire meeting was 30 minutes; we were told we had to make a decision by June 7 if we wanted guaranteed install this year.

When we booked our appointment it was under the impression we could be a demo home; but we were told 4 days later that they did not need anymore and that we had to make a quick decision if we even wanted one. He was not friendly AT ALL. He kept flipping super quick through a power point on our computer screen but we were told we could not actually see the whole thing because "other companies would pay us thousands for that information on the power point". It was an all around terrible experience. I wish I could have given 0 stars.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We've been waiting for 7 YEARS to get the handrail that we ordered! Every time you call they tell you to call & text CHRIS ** & this guy NEVER answers your calls or texts! Kayak REFUSES to do anything about this to help. I would NEVER recommend buying anything from Kayak Pools!

Original review: July 1, 2019

After buying this pool and having it installed I would urge others not to do it. I am still trying to get rid of the dirt they dug out. Now I can't get the filter out to clean it. It is so frustrating. The video tells you that the chlorine frog should last some time but that is now empty. I think you can only buy it from them. The pool has only been up a short time, since May 2019. All these things can't go wrong in such a short time.

Original review: June 9, 2019

Like many others our water walls corroded and rotted away. Our pool was purchased in 1999. Started noticing bumps under the liner spreading across the walls. Decided to replace liner and see what was going on. All 16 water walls were corroded and needed replaced. Called Kayak to check on warranty of the limited lifetime water walls, knowing I would be prorated. They "sell" a water wall kit of 16 walls for $1599.99, but to use the warranty I would have to pay OVER $2000 (80% of $2559.99) for the SAME 16 walls. They keep their "retail" price inflated so the warranty is WORTHLESS. They did offer $150 in customer cash, I do not plan on giving Kayak any more of my money. Very disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Our Kayak Pool experience was great. We picked out the pool we wanted and within weeks we were swimming in our brand new Kayak pool. It was amazing how fast the install guys put it up. I am so glad we got a Kayak pool. The kids love it. They all jump in and we never have to worry because our Kayak pool is very sturdy and built to last. We plan on having many years of great times and memories in this pool.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I bought the house from my sister. Pool was 7 years old and had to replace LINER. WALLS & LINER replaced in the 90's. Lionel owner. French guy from Quebec did the installation and he told us to get beach type stones and place around the pool as it would help the walls. Hard labour for my husband. Found a cigarette hole after filling the pool and was sent a patch which we fixed. Not too sure if it was the first or second time we were advised to get weeping tile to help with the rainwater.

WALLS & LINER replaced 2005. Willy owner. The guy that put in those walls told us to take the stones away that it was damaging the walls. Hard labour for my husband and I. LINER only last one season. LINER replaced free from manufacturer because of ripped seam but we had to pay another company to put it on so it wasn't exactly free. They did a terrible job.

DECK WALLS & RAILINGS 2015 replaced but corner wasn't fixed and sharp end still waiting to have that fixed. WALLS replaced 2016. I asked Mike (the installer) if we needed to get more sand and he said NO. What a mistake as a year later we had to have someone come out and fix a hole in the bottom of liner (might have been there from installation) and paid $333.35. Mike told us that he could fix the gap between pool and wooden deck and it wouldn't cost much. When he finally showed up when pool was winterized it went from $300 to $2500.

Pool shifts with earth, nature. We have a big gap. Any advice? I'm wondering if we could put some type of protected thin sheet of wood starting from the pool to the house that can be removed at the end of each season. Just to protect us from the gap which gets larger every year but inexpensive. I'm sure we have had about 5 or 6 liners by now. So it hasn't been cheap. My sister thought it a great pool because there was no deep end therefore safer for her 3 & 5 year old. Her plan was to eventually put an in-ground pool in when kids got older but she decided to move instead. The positive thing is that it only takes up 1/2 the backyard and had plenty of space on the other side for a swing set and play area. I love the pool but we have spent a lot of money on repairs. Not sure if I would recommend it over an in-ground pool.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Purchased Kayak 16x32 4 feet deep pool in 2005. 2018, 13 years later, the liner was leaking. When we took liner down we noticed all water walls were severely corroded. This must have started years before as we would feel what we would think was sand in between liner and wall, which turned out to be corrosion. Kayak offered discount, but we requested free of charge water walls, because this is some manufacture defect. Got a better discount, but no free replacement. Filed a complaint with the BBB.

That got them shaking. Was offered big discount on walls, with some crazy story about how the walls were corroded because of some electric currency. Lol. Anyway, we refused. We have put some wrapped wood panels up, reaching to halfway the walls, put in the new (exuberantly priced) liner that we got with a great discount and filled the pool. Because we refused to purchase their walls with a big discount and they needed to get that BBB claim gone they offered to reimburse us for the liner. We accepted. Sad it had to take a complaint with BBB.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Our above ground pool was installed in October 2015. The pool is great! What a hassle trying to get return calls and follow up from the Lancaster NY division. We were to have a railing installed for the 2016 season plus our ladder. Now we are nearing the third swim season and still no railing or ladder. Nor have we had return call from the manager of that division.

Kayak Pools author review by ConsumerAffairs

Kayak Pools makes pools and spas based on the needs of its customers. It is a corporation, based in New York, that outsources to dealers and businesses to sell their pools nationwide.

• Custom design: Kayak Pools offers custom pool design and can work around customer's design needs.

• Variety: The company designs pools in both steel and concrete wall free form.

• Availability: Kayak has plenty of franchised dealerships around the country, so many customers can take advantage of its retail stores.

• Specialized drain: The pools come with a main bottom drain that constantly filters out sediment and leaves pool owners with fewer pool maintenance problems.

• Warranty: Kayak Pools provides a 30-year warranty on its pools.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team