2.11/5

Looking for a pool company?

Kayak Pools

Looking for a pool company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Kayak Pools Reviews

Original review: July 12, 2019

We've been waiting for 7 YEARS to get the handrail that we ordered! Every time you call they tell you to call & text CHRIS ** & this guy NEVER answers your calls or texts! Kayak REFUSES to do anything about this to help. I would NEVER recommend buying anything from Kayak Pools!

Original review: July 1, 2019

After buying this pool and having it installed I would urge others not to do it. I am still trying to get rid of the dirt they dug out. Now I can't get the filter out to clean it. It is so frustrating. The video tells you that the chlorine frog should last some time but that is now empty. I think you can only buy it from them. The pool has only been up a short time, since May 2019. All these things can't go wrong in such a short time.

Get expert buying tips about Pool Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 9, 2019

Like many others our water walls corroded and rotted away. Our pool was purchased in 1999. Started noticing bumps under the liner spreading across the walls. Decided to replace liner and see what was going on. All 16 water walls were corroded and needed replaced. Called Kayak to check on warranty of the limited lifetime water walls, knowing I would be prorated. They "sell" a water wall kit of 16 walls for $1599.99, but to use the warranty I would have to pay OVER $2000 (80% of $2559.99) for the SAME 16 walls. They keep their "retail" price inflated so the warranty is WORTHLESS. They did offer $150 in customer cash, I do not plan on giving Kayak any more of my money. Very disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Our Kayak Pool experience was great. We picked out the pool we wanted and within weeks we were swimming in our brand new Kayak pool. It was amazing how fast the install guys put it up. I am so glad we got a Kayak pool. The kids love it. They all jump in and we never have to worry because our Kayak pool is very sturdy and built to last. We plan on having many years of great times and memories in this pool.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I bought the house from my sister. Pool was 7 years old and had to replace LINER. WALLS & LINER replaced in the 90's. Lionel owner. French guy from Quebec did the installation and he told us to get beach type stones and place around the pool as it would help the walls. Hard labour for my husband. Found a cigarette hole after filling the pool and was sent a patch which we fixed. Not too sure if it was the first or second time we were advised to get weeping tile to help with the rainwater.

WALLS & LINER replaced 2005. Willy owner. The guy that put in those walls told us to take the stones away that it was damaging the walls. Hard labour for my husband and I. LINER only last one season. LINER replaced free from manufacturer because of ripped seam but we had to pay another company to put it on so it wasn't exactly free. They did a terrible job.

DECK WALLS & RAILINGS 2015 replaced but corner wasn't fixed and sharp end still waiting to have that fixed. WALLS replaced 2016. I asked Mike (the installer) if we needed to get more sand and he said NO. What a mistake as a year later we had to have someone come out and fix a hole in the bottom of liner (might have been there from installation) and paid $333.35. Mike told us that he could fix the gap between pool and wooden deck and it wouldn't cost much. When he finally showed up when pool was winterized it went from $300 to $2500.

Pool shifts with earth, nature. We have a big gap. Any advice? I'm wondering if we could put some type of protected thin sheet of wood starting from the pool to the house that can be removed at the end of each season. Just to protect us from the gap which gets larger every year but inexpensive. I'm sure we have had about 5 or 6 liners by now. So it hasn't been cheap. My sister thought it a great pool because there was no deep end therefore safer for her 3 & 5 year old. Her plan was to eventually put an in-ground pool in when kids got older but she decided to move instead. The positive thing is that it only takes up 1/2 the backyard and had plenty of space on the other side for a swing set and play area. I love the pool but we have spent a lot of money on repairs. Not sure if I would recommend it over an in-ground pool.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak Pools?

Original review: July 24, 2018

Purchased Kayak 16x32 4 feet deep pool in 2005. 2018, 13 years later, the liner was leaking. When we took liner down we noticed all water walls were severely corroded. This must have started years before as we would feel what we would think was sand in between liner and wall, which turned out to be corrosion. Kayak offered discount, but we requested free of charge water walls, because this is some manufacture defect. Got a better discount, but no free replacement. Filed a complaint with the BBB.

That got them shaking. Was offered big discount on walls, with some crazy story about how the walls were corroded because of some electric currency. Lol. Anyway, we refused. We have put some wrapped wood panels up, reaching to halfway the walls, put in the new (exuberantly priced) liner that we got with a great discount and filled the pool. Because we refused to purchase their walls with a big discount and they needed to get that BBB claim gone they offered to reimburse us for the liner. We accepted. Sad it had to take a complaint with BBB.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Our above ground pool was installed in October 2015. The pool is great! What a hassle trying to get return calls and follow up from the Lancaster NY division. We were to have a railing installed for the 2016 season plus our ladder. Now we are nearing the third swim season and still no railing or ladder. Nor have we had return call from the manager of that division.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have been a Kayak Pool owner for 29 years and for the most part very satisfied with the quality of the pool. The problem is the worthless warranty and poor customer service. I live in New Jersey and can't find anyone willing to repair my pool, no one will even come out to look at it. After 5 years the 15 year warranty liner ripped and they would not cover it. My warranty was with Kayak Pools that went bankrupt but turned around under the new Kayak company and were not responsible.

Then about 12 years ago my wood walls were cracking and buckling and I could get anyone from Kayak to repair it. I finally got a local pool liner company to do the work at a cost of over $6,000.00. OUCH! Last year the top channel on a 32' wall was starting to crack and no one would fix it. I called one company in Middletown NY that was an authorized Kayak dealer and said they repair Kayak pools. When I told them the top channel was cracking he asked if it was the 12' or 24 ' wall I told him it was a 32' wall and he said OH **! and never showed up or answered my messages after that.

Now the top channel broke at 2 corners of the 32' wall and that wall collapsed. I lost 1 wall panel, some decking, fiberglass panels, the top channel, liner, coping, and j channel. No one shows up when they say they can fix it now no return calls. Kayak company itself is useless. I've tried 5 authorized Kayak dealers/ installers/ repair technicians and no one has shown up or followed through. One company Leisure King, called me every other day trying to sell me a new pool for $21,000 when they said they repair pools on their website. After 3 weeks of NO I'M NOT SPENDING $21,000.00 on another Kayak pool did she agree to send an installer to give an estimate for a repair. Guess what NO SHOW and no more calls.

The pool itself at the time was well made however for about $8,000.00 more in 1988 I could have bought an Anthony Sylvan gunite pool that would last forever. Now I've spent more than that gunite pool would have cost and looking at another large expense if I can find someone that will fix it. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Kayak pools, No Service, don't honor warranties, can't get other pool companies to work on them and they are over priced, for a few thousand more you can put in an inground pool. How would you like to wake up to this picture in your backyard on a hot June morning?

Original review: June 29, 2017

We have had the pool for 30 years and still love it. It has survived three children, four grandchildren, numerous friends and several birthday parties. Other than normal upkeep, it is still standing and looking good. It is one strong pool. You don't need to worry about pushing off from the sides of the pool.

Original review: July 8, 2016

I've been putting this review/rant off in hopes the company would take some corrective actions. However after a month of no response, I feel this review is justified. From the salesman that showed up to introduce the product to the scheduling of the installation to the actual installation and even to the owner of this establishment, we have been less than satisfied with the customer service received.

The main issue is that the pool was sold to us with the understanding that it would be placed directly next to our existing deck. However the installers had advised that was impossible which then resulted in an additional expense to build our deck out to the pool to meet it. As well, the installers had left our entire yard and not just the area around the pool, a disaster zone that required additional landscaping costs to regrade and seed more than half of our backyard.

When we attempted to contact Kayak Pools Midwest to correct some of these issues or share some of these unnecessary and unexpected costs with us, they decided to give us the "you had major construction in your backyard and these damages are to be expected" argument. But my expectation with major construction would be that there would be architectural plans drawn up to illustrate the placement and orientation of the pool for review and approval to ensure it is installed as originally expected. Since THAT did not happen, how can this be considered MAJOR construction???

All of the contractors and Bobcat operators that I have spoken with all agree that the damage done to my yard was unnecessary and avoidable with proper precautions. We attempted to move this complaint up the ladder to the owner, Mike Klein, however he has refused to return an answer to any of our calls! The product may bring our family enjoyment but I definitely would've found another place to buy the pool from with all the headache we have had to deal with. It's a shame when a company who may have a great product does not have the service and attention to back it up!!!

Kayak Pools expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kayak Pools makes pools and spas based on the needs of its customers. It is a corporation, based in New York, that outsources to dealers and businesses to sell their pools nationwide.

• Custom design: Kayak Pools offers custom pool design and can work around customer's design needs.

• Variety: The company designs pools in both steel and concrete wall free form.

• Availability: Kayak has plenty of franchised dealerships around the country, so many customers can take advantage of its retail stores.

• Specialized drain: The pools come with a main bottom drain that constantly filters out sediment and leaves pool owners with fewer pool maintenance problems.

• Warranty: Kayak Pools provides a 30-year warranty on its pools.

• Best for: Homeowners across the country who are looking for economical and convenient pool installation.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs