2. Homeowners
  3. Hot Tubs

2.5/5 (112 ratings)

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring spas and hot tubs have been manufactured in Vista, California, by Watkins Wellness since 1977. Hot Spring’s portable saltwater hot tubs include soothing massage features and a variety of jet options. The company also offers saltwater systems and energy-efficient models. Find accessories, including replacement covers, cover lifters and furniture, on its website.

Find Hot Tubs partners near you

Pros

• Customizable features
    • Energy-efficient models
    • Range of price tiers

Cons

• Limited warranty
    • Sold only through local dealers

Bottom Line

Customers enjoy Hot Spring Spas’ patented technology features, such as Tri-X filters, and its three different water care systems that ensure freshness. All models are customizable.

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I purchased a hot springs flair with the ace salt water system in November of 2018. After spending weeks trying to tweak the salt water system we finally got it working. It lasted about 8 months. It took two service calls but they finally replaced the cell under warranty. The service tech informed me that the cells only lasts about a year and at $850 each, it would have been nice to know that before buying the system. Fast forward to August 2020 and here we go again. The lights are blinking and when I test the water it resets for a day and starts blinking again. I have to say when this system works, it works really well but I think the cost of replacing the cell is outrageous and it should last more than a year.

Hot Spring Spas response
    Bob, thank you for your review. The life of the ACE cell depends on other factors like usage and water care. I want to help get your spa water back on track. The salt system is excellent, and I'd like for you to get the most from it. I will DM you for additional support.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I urge everybody not to buy a Hot Spring spa. Very difficult experience. Firstly the spa was wired up incorrectly by the delivering technician. Had to incur private electrician’s costs to come out and fix. No response from the company. Secondly, after-sale advice was all wrong - bad advice led to a case of folliculitis across our family of 6. FWSS doesn’t work. Company keeps saying it must be us - over contaminating the spa. Cannot be when we hardly use it, so high is our dissatisfaction. Have wasted too much money on products. Have had to drain down 3 times. Again at our own cost and at the cost of purchasing expensive ‘salt’ product. Have complained to the company. They took over a month to respond to us. Literally one of the worst companies I have had to interact with - and after having paid £15,000 for the pleasure. Strong recommendation to anybody reading this to avoid this company and buy from their competitors.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We purchased a 2018 Hot Spring Limelight Flair hot tub in March or 2018. We had it installed with the Ace salt water system. Within the eight months we noticed our concrete looked wet along the bottom outside. A repair person came out and said it was the heater and had to be replaced. We paid to have it serviced twice a year, when we purchased it we were told the salt filter should last about two years but within the first nine month the monitoring light kept going off, we’d reset and within a day or two it would show trouble again even though testing showed filter was good.

Our dealer sent service men out about five times and couldn’t figure it out but did tell us that the Ace Salt water system was having a lot of issues and the model was changed within four months after we purchased it. I’m sure it was changed because they were receiving so many complaints and the filter to replace it to make it work correctly is 900.00 and will only last about 12/18 months when you pay 10,000.00 for a spa you don’t expect to pay 900.00 every other year. We personally have a friend who bought the exact same spa from another dealer in another state and have had exactly the same issues. Today we had it drained cleaned and filled by our dealer and noticed little dots embedded in the surface of the spa itself and fading. It is covered 24/7 and only used by my husband and I on average once a month. This spa has been a huge disappointment and we feel we wasted a lot of money, never again will we buy from Hot Spring.

Hot Spring Spas response
    Thank you for taking the time to post and share pictures. This site limits my reply, and there is a lot to untangle here. I will DM you and see what we can do to help. The ACE salt system is still being used. We have not changed the technology. In 2019 we did update the spa shells to allow the salt cell to have its port. There could be several reasons that your cell did not last 2 yrs. That is one of the things I would like to explore with you. Talk to you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: June 18, 2020

I purchased my hot tub in the summer of 2012. Overall, we have enjoyed the tub very much. This year the display on the control panel failed. The control panel buttons work fine; the 2x3 inch screen just no longer displays the menu/prompts/temperature, etc. Upon investigating replacing the control panel ($400), I learned I also had to replace the control box (for an additional $700) due to a manufacturer design change that happened months after I purchase the tub. My current control box works perfectly fine, but is incompatible with the "new" control panel. Neither the retailer (Spring Dance Hot Tubs) nor the manufacturer (Watkins) is willing to give me any material price break on the replacement parts, despite being a long time loyal customer. Being asked to spend over $1200 to repair a 2x3 display screen is absurd.

Hot Spring Spas response

Thank you for your post. I am sorry that your spa requires service. As it turns out, the design change was because the manufacture of that controller decided to stop making them. Since we are committed to providing parts for at least 20 yrs of the spas life, we had to come up with something different. Unfortunately, that required new software and control board update. Because we know this can be a hardship to have to buy both, we do honor a discount. I will DM you for more info. Vanessa- CS

Original review: June 12, 2020

I own a Hot Springs Vanguard, it was purchased new in October 2017. Good spa, when it works. In March 2019 it broke down. The equipment was 17 months old. The temperature was below freezing, and the distributor in my area could not get a service technician to our house for two weeks. There was no option but but to drain the hot tub in the freezing cold, and do my best to winterize it, with no assistance or advice from the distributor other than the warranty was void if anything froze.

The same scenario repeated itself in October 2019. It is still broken down. Watkins is the manufacturer. Neither the manufacturer nor the Hot Springs Spa brand distributor will help or assist spa owners with control board level diagnostic information, or technical assistance to repair the equipment. Beware! If you purchase a Hot Spring Spa, do your research on reliability and test your local distributor for response time on service calls. Especially if you live in a cold climate.

Chris,
    I am sorry that your spa is currently not working. I understand what you are saying about needing service when the weather is cold. What I can do is get you in touch with one of our techs who can help direct you on what needs to happen to repair your spa.
    Thank you for your number. He will call you today.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: May 29, 2020

Our first Hot Springs spa was purchased 30 years ago for therapeutic purposes and was truly wonderful. Daina was the dedicated HSS rep and responded in a heartbeat to any problem and there were few of those. That original spa is still going although it does now leak. We moved house and I went to a Pool and Spa Expo in Melbourne Australia to shop for a new HSS, bypassing local manufacturers on the basis of the great HSS previous experience.

I purchased the Sovereign there on 19th August, 2018 from Spa World for $18,000 with an 8 week wait for delivery which turned out to be closer to 18 weeks. When delivered, I decided the spot chosen was not satisfactory. Deck modifications and spa relocation cost more time and money. I have used the spa twice and the massage jets are much weaker than our original spa and there is nothing remotely therapeutic about it. Not in love with this product. Feels like an expensive mistake.

On returning home after a European holiday and hospital stint following emergency surgery, the water level in the spa had gone down appreciably. Sure, it had had no attention for 8 weeks, but the original was subject to inattention for weeks without ill effect. I dread having problems with this thing because if purchasers are having troubles with service in the USA, imagine how difficult it would be in Australia. Spa World are difficult to contact and calls are handled by call centres - last time in New Zealand. Just wish I had discovered these reviews before purchasing.

Hot Spring Spas response
    Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As a veteran Hot Spring Spa owner, you are familiar with our quality. Your new spa should provide you with decades of continued hot water therapy as your first one did. I will contact you directly to see what I can do to help. We genuinely care about all of our customers and take their feedback seriously.
    I look forward to working with you soon.

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: May 25, 2020

Best hot tub I’ve ever owned! It’s easy to maintain and has a great warranty. I got mine in Denver and the dealer is very easy to work with. I sit in my hot tub every night and haven’t had any problems at all. You’ll love the soft water!!!

Hello Johnny,
    Welcome to the Hot Spring Spa family.
    Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your new spa. The picture looks fantastic and inviting.
    Happy Hot Tubbing!

Vanessa - Customer Sevice

Original review: April 16, 2020

Bought new in 1987. Is still used 2-3 times weekly. Maybe ours is a freak, except for a part which is no longer made that we replaced this week, the unit continues to work flawlessly. I do want to know how to get a replacement heater in case ours goes out as it's no longer made.

Hello Dave

Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing from our customers who are still enjoying their spas from the 80s. That is fantastic! We take pride in what we do and feel privileged to provide a way to relax and rejuvenate at home. I will DM you the information that you are looking for.
    Happy Hot Tubbing

Vanessa - Customer Service

Original review: March 10, 2020

We have a Hot Springs spa purchase from Creative Energy in San Rafael, CA. It has been a good spa over the years but the power components failed around two years ago. We contacted Creative Energy to come take a look and were told it would require a minimum service fee which we agreed to pay. After the inspection, the technician informed us that some electronic components needed to be replaced. It was fairly expensive repair so we elected to just replace one set of components and only have the ability to turn the jets on and off from one station. The bill was $580 which we paid.

The exterior buttons stopped working again a about 4 months ago and Creative Energy refused to come look and potentially replace the Hot Springs parts or correct their workmanship without being paid a minimum service fee of $180 since the work/parts were not covered by warranty. I have asked for them to come review at no additional charge until it is determined what is wrong since I would expect them to cover the replacement parts if it is a failure of the new parts. I offerred that if it was their work or the Hot Springs parts, they would waive the fee and if it was something different, I would pay all fees. They refused without being paid the $180.

I contacted Hot Springs as Creative Energy is their dealer and told them what was happening. They initially seemed happy to help and it looked like they were going to stand behind their product. Since then it has been a series of phone tag with no resolution. I just reached the person that has been calling me back and leaving messages and his response is that there is nothing that Hot Springs can do to get their Dealer to stand behind the parts and workmanship. We will be replacing our Hot Springs Hot tub with another brand that will actually stand behind their product and representatives. Very dissatisfied with the customer service we received.

Hot Spring Spas response
    Looking into this I see that your spa is 17 yrs old. A control panel was replaced in 2018. Hot Spring provides a 1-yr parts warranty. You stated that service was needed 2 yrs later. Not knowing exactly what the issue is, the tech would need to be compensated for their labor. Common practice is to pay for the out of warranty service and if there was a failure to the part or poor workmanship the customer is refunded.

This website limits my public reply to you to 500 txt. I will DM you. Thanks, V

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I want to first say that I have been a Hot Springs owner for over 20 years, covering two tubs. We first purchased a Grandee in 2000 from Energy Savers (Meredith, NH). Simply said, the tub performed. In part because it was well-built, but also because we have always been meticulous about maintenance and monitoring. I regularly, perhaps obsessively, measure and treat the water. I also clean the filters 3-5X per year. At least yearly I completely empty the tub, clean all the components, then refill. Our Grandee was available in 17 of 18 Winters – the one year we didn’t have it was due to a heater that failed during a particularly brutal cold snap and we and our service provided decided it was better to empty the tub and address in the Spring.

In July 2018 we decided to upgrade and purchased the Envoy with all the bells & whistles – sound system, lights & cover cradle. While we loved the tub we experienced periodic shut-downs that were unexplainable. In November 2018 the audio system failed (after much troubleshooting, the power system to the amp was replaced in May 2019). In December, after a cold snap, the tub shutdown causing pipes to freeze which resulted in the tub draining. So our first winter with the new tub was a total loss.

After much discussion with Energy Savers we went into this Winter doubling down on our maintenance and monitoring. Yet in December the tub froze again. Energy Savers diagnosed that the heating pump failed, froze, and cracked leading to significant water loss. Among the explanations I was given: the filters are very susceptible to clogging, even when the tub isn’t used. While I want to complement Energy Savers on their responsiveness over the past year, it’s clear that there is an inherent quality and/or manufacturing issue with my tub. I am now faced with a significant bill to replace a heater that died in one year. Further, how much additional damage has been caused by pipes freezing twice? Will this tub even make it to a third Winter?

All I can say is that anyone considering a significant investment in a Hot Springs spa, be sure to do your homework here. And not simply on the tub, but also the warranty, which I’m told won’t cover a second occurrence because it already has paid out once (think about that logic – it broke once during warranty, so now that it has broke again under the same circumstance in less than a year, it won’t be covered again).

Hot Spring Spas response
    Thank you, Sean, for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that your spa has had freeze damage. I would like to know more about this issue to see how I can help. I appreciate that you are a longtime Hot Spring owner and want to make sure every option has been explored to repair your spa. While the warranty is very specific there are some Customer Service opportunities we might be able to take advantage of. Please look for a DM from me.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information