Hot Spring Spas Reviews

About Hot Spring Spas

Hot Spring spas and hot tubs have been manufactured in Vista, California, by Watkins Wellness since 1977. Hot Spring’s portable saltwater hot tubs include soothing massage features and a variety of jet options. The company also offers saltwater systems and energy-efficient models. Find accessories, including replacement covers, cover lifters and furniture, on its website.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Customizable features
    • Energy-efficient models
    • Range of price tiers
    Cons
    • Limited warranty
    • Sold only through local dealers

Hot Spring Spas Reviews

Stars Rating

• 11%
    • 0%
    • 0%
    • 2%
    • 87%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hot Spring Spas?
      Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2023

I have a 2019 Envoy. We enjoyed the spa overall but the quality and reliability is a big drawback. I had 3 remotes replaced, a weir gate replaced, several LED lights replaced, and now am having structural issues. My dealer said it was OK to install the spa cover side to side so they did. Unfortunately, they had to screw in the bracket for the cover lifter into the very thin and weak front equipment panel. All that holds the panel and weight from the cover is a small cheap plastic clip. The panel is way too thin and the screws strip the hole they are fastened to.

The bracket constantly pops out. I had to affix a wood on the inside to hold it together. Now the problem is the panel keeps popping off the bottom clip. Also, the weight is causing the spa's lower base to flex inward and is now deformed. To make matters even worse, the sun heats up the panels and caused them to warp over time. The equipment panel constantly pops off because it's warped along with the spa's base.

I called my dealer and they said they will call Watkins for a resolution. I waiting for a response. I believe the best resolution would be for Watkins to send me 3 new side panels so I can mount the spa cover front to back. I would be willing to pay for a new cover as the measurements would be different. Front to back would allow the brackets to be secured to the back and side panels which are much more secure than the equipment panel. I would even accept the warp base as I am aware that there is no repair for that. They would have to send me a new hot tub. I believe I'm being reasonable. I've been a loyal customer thus far and have overlooked the aforesaid quality issues but this is pretty major. If you go on Hot Spring's customer pages on Facebook, you'll see a lot of these issues are common. Why doesn't Watkins just back their products up?

Pinned
      J, thank you for getting in touch. I am here to help you out. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you had. To better understand the situation, please provide me with more details about your spa and the dealer helping you.

Although it is uncommon for such issues to persist, we can work together to find a solution. I will send you a direct message, so please keep an eye out for it. I'm looking forward to assisting you soon.

Warranty

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

Please listen, this spa is ridiculous. Multiple problems. You have to dig around to find the accurate views online. I've had the repair people out several times a year since I bought it. It is now out of warranty and same ridiculous stuff. Happening that just shouldn't happen on the high and spot period. I had a cheaper spa. I've lasted longer and given me less problems. For your own sanity just walk away, please walk away.

Hello Peter

Thank you for sharing your recent spa experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that you encountered multiple spa issues. I would appreciate hearing more about your experience so that I can assist you in the best possible way. At our company, we value our customers and strive to provide the best service possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Customer ServiceMaintenance

Reviewed Aug. 5, 2023

We received our Hot Springs Spas less than 13 months ago. It is inside, used daily for 15 minutes by myself and occasionally by my lady. I regularly check and adjust the water as well as change it regularly, maintain the filter, etc. It first broke down at 5 months. After being down for 4 weeks, it was back up and running with a new pump. It broke down again roughly 5 months later. After a few more weeks it was up and running with a new contol panel and another part. That was about 5 weeks ago. Today, it again has broken down and is giving me the FLO warning. I just shut the power off and notified my dealer. Kylie from Hot Springs customer service was communicating with me via Messenger but stopped responding to any message I send a couple months ago. I am so disappointed. I wanted a spa for years and trusted Hot Springs would be a good brand to go with. Instead, it has been a truly painful and frustrating experience.

Pinned
      Timothy, I am sorry to hear about your disappointing spa experience. Please know that we value all of our customers and strive for excellence in every aspect of our services. Kylie has already contacted a manager and your dealer to address this issue. According to her latest message, your spa is operational, and we are working diligently to resolve any remaining concerns.
      Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

StaffWarranty

Reviewed June 18, 2023

We’ve had the Hot Tub for about 6 years now and we’re getting ready to buy Wireless Remote #4—yes, the fourth + 1 new dock in 6 years. On all three that have failed to date, the screens seem to get water under the plastic screen cover. And shortly thereafter the touch feature stops working and eventually won’t turn on at all. Tried leaving in the sun, in bowl of rice to dry out; no luck.

In our case, we bought our house from a friend who had the hot tub installed just 8 months before we moved in. So, of course, the warranty doesn’t transfer over. I had contacted Hot Spring directly for the previous remote issue; the woman I spoke with was incredibly polite and empathetic. But there was nothing she could do. It’s a very poor design, and it’s quite disappointing. For us, this will be the last replacement remote we’re buying. Next time, I’m replacing the whole tub with a different manufacturer.

Pinned
      Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I apologize for the reoccurring issue you have been experiencing without any resolution. I can understand how frustrating this must be for you. We strive to provide our customers with the best experience possible and want everyone to enjoy the benefits of hot water therapy. I would like to gather more information about your case and assist you in resolving this issue. Please look for an email from me.

Reviewed April 12, 2023

I bought my second (and probably last) Hot Springs Grandee Hot Tub in 2017. Shortly afterwards, the retailer who I bought both my hot tubs from stopped being a reseller for Hot Springs, which should have been my first clue. Hot Springs have added all kinds of useless features, while allowing the quality to decline substantially.

Specifically for me, the wireless remote system. I have now gone through 3 of these remotes due to failures, the last 2 in less than 6 months. This is especially frustrating as there doesn't seem to be any logical purpose for a wireless remote in the first place. Unfortunately for me, after being a loyal customer for almost 20 years, it appears I'm going to have to find another company to purchase products from. I would strongly recommend anyone looking for a tub, try another brand.

Pinned
      Paul, I'm sorry to learn that as an experienced owner of Hot Spring Spa, you are not satisfied with your current spa. Our company values our customer's feedback and take it seriously to make necessary adjustments to enhance their spa experience.
      We offer a wide range of spa models with various features, some of which come with built-in controllers. Rest assured; I will personally reach out to you to ensure that all steps have been taken to improve your spa experience.

Vanessa-Customer Care

Customer ServicePriceMaintenanceWarranty

Reviewed March 12, 2023

Paid over $12,000 for Hot Spring spa that started leaking 1 month after warranty was up. Called local dealer we purchased the spa from. They came out and told us they would put us on their list to repair the leak and charged us $240.00 for service call with no repair. Checked back with dealer after not hearing from them for 3 months and then they told us the 5 year warranty was up and they don't repair the spas. Checked with all spa dealers in the area and they wouldn't repair the Hot Spring brand because they didn't sell it to us and they are not the local dealer. Called the manufacture to complain. They opened a case file but didn't lift a finger to help. Had to repair the leak myself.

In less than a year we had the second leak. Again I had to repair the leak. Now after 4 leaks in 3 years, I had enough. Cut the Hot Spring spa up to remove it since it was indoors. No help from the local dealer or the manufacturer. I do not recommend this brand by Watkins Manufacturing. Worst plumbing I've ever seen and way overpriced.

Pinned
      I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear that your spa required service and was not repaired. It's unfortunate that you had a negative experience, and I understand your frustration. We strive to ensure that all our customers are satisfied and able to enjoy their spas for many years. Hot water therapy is a beneficial experience that we believe everyone should have access to, and I hope you find a spa that meets your needs.

Vanessa-Customer Care

Price

Reviewed March 4, 2023

Before you purchase the Hot Spring salt water system please be aware the cost to maintain the system is getting really expensive. I went into a HSS retail location last week and spent over $420.00 on three cartridges and one vanishing act to soften the water. I don't mind the system but I am truly rethinking my decision to have purchased the system in the first place.

Pinned

Thank you, Sam, for bringing up a great topic. While there is an upfront cost for the salt system cartridges, the box of three will last one year. Other benefits of note are softer and longer-lasting water.

I am happy to hear you are enjoying your spa, and your feedback is important. Knowing how much it costs to maintain the spa matters. I encourage spa shoppers to discuss this with their dealers; local prices will vary.

PricePunctuality & SpeedWarranty

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2023

I paid for a salt system that I no longer have. I couldn’t keep it running. It kept shutting down. Not good in Wisconsin so I had it disconnected. I paid for a sound system that I no longer have. I was told that it would be $1,100 to fix. Last fall it shut down and I had to have a part replaced; under warranty. That is when I was told that the sound system wasn’t working properly. It never did. I was just too dumb to realize it. Sound was coming out so as far as I knew it was working. Now it has shut down again. February in Wisconsin. After hours so I couldn’t contact anyone. Today I was told to go out and buy a cow tank heater to keep it from freezing. I think that I have one more year of warranty and soon after that I think that I’ll have a piece of junk that will be very expensive to dispose of.

Pinned
      Gerald, I am sorry to hear about your spa experience. A hot tub should be relaxing and enjoyable; that has not been the case.

Please look for a direct message from me. I want to know more about your spa and how I can help.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Verified purchase
      PriceMaintenanceWarranty

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2022

12K+ Hot Tub sprung a leak within the first 2 years (even though this Spa has been professionally maintained at my own expense since date of delivery). When I tried leaving an honest review on their website, I received an email suggesting that my review needed to be updated since it violated their Guidelines (i.e. was not supposed to mention how much it cost). I clicked on link to edit it, which took me to a 404 Page not found Error Page. So I submitted a brand new review without specifically mentioning cost. This time I received an email suggesting that my Review was approved and a link provided to view it. When clicking on the link provided, again takes me to a 404 Page not found Error Page. So 1) product is expensive but will fail early in life. 2) Warranty coverage is limited and will not cover Dealer additional fees. 3) Reviews are virtually impossible, likely go into a BLACK HOLE. 4) Customer is left holding the bag.

Pinned

We appreciate you reaching out to us with your concerns. I know it can be very frustrating when something doesn't work as it should. The reviews on our website are hosted by a third party and we're working with them to ensure that any issues are resolved as soon as possible so that reviews can be posted without errors. We'd like to hear from you and see if we can help resolve any concerns that you have regarding your experience with your spa and will be following up with you for more details.

Reviewed Sept. 23, 2022

This is our second Hot Springs Spa. We love the new one and the changes they have made. It is beautifully styled and comfortable to sit in. The new jet designs are wonderful and relaxing. The new jets incorporated in the lounge seat feel like you are having a professional massage therapist working on your back.

Pinned

Thank you for reaching out with your review. The Sovereign is a beautiful model, we're glad that you are a part of the Hot Spring family. It's wonderful to hear that you are enjoying your new spa.

Reviewed June 21, 2022

My heater failed in December and I have been trying to get parts to my dealer for over six months. The answer from Hot Springs is I don’t know when. My spa has been down for over six months. It is only two years old. This is very frustrating and they don’t even have an answer for me. Very disappointing.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for reaching out, I'm so sorry to hear that you've had trouble getting the part you need. Being without your spa for so long is frustrating. I'd like to see how I might be able to help get you back into hot water as soon as possible.

Please keep an eye out for a private message so that I can get a bit more info from you. If you have further questions or concerns please call 800-999-4688 ext 8432.

Reviewed June 9, 2022

Top control not made anymore?? I have to replace control board also due to no parts available cost over $2500! Can I get some help $$ from Hot Spring to repair my $15,000 spa. A minor part failure & I have to replace entire electrical control system! Why, is this a design or manufacturing defect?

Mark,
      We make a commitment to have parts for our spas for at least 20 years. Sometimes, alternatives are used when the original part is no longer available. I understand it's frustrating to replace more than one part, but due to the age of your spa & the availability of the original control panel, this is the best option. I'll send you a PM to get more info on your spa & dealer to see if there's any further assistance we can provide to get you back to enjoying your spa.

Staff

Reviewed June 3, 2022

My wife and I just spent a bundle on a Hot Springs spa. All our previous spas were Jacuzzi and were problem free. This time we went with Hot Springs because the local dealer is close by. They delivered the spa, a Prism, on Wednesday and it leaked right off the bat. We were told it was probably just water that accumulated inside the spa from shipment. The looks on their faces though said otherwise. It also seemed curious that the head delivery guy said he would go to bat for us to get a new spa if the leak did not stop.

Next morning, open to tub to take our first soak and find the water level has dropped by 2.5". Well, we filled up the tub and an hour later got in. During the day, the tub lost another 5" of water. I turned it off last night to make sure the water level did not get so low the tub would be damaged. This morning, checked the tub and it is another 5" lower. That's a total of 12" of water loss in two days. Doesn't Hot Springs test these tubs before they ship them? I'm really worried we made a $20,000+ mistake. Someone is supposed to come and evaluate the situation this afternoon. I am not optimistic.

Pinned
      Oh no Michael! A leaking spa is never ok and I will contact your dealer to follow up.
      It is true that new spas do have some residual water in the lines from testing before they leave our facility.

However, if the spa is leaking we will support our warranty. We want you to use and enjoy your spa.

Thank you for reaching out and I look forward to working with you soon.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 7, 2022

We have owned several Hot Spring Spas for over 25 years and find their recent spas to be less dependable than ever before. We have owned our 2019 spa for just over 2 years and already 10 service calls to include control panel needing replacement, salt cartridge system sensor housing replaced, moto jets replaced three times (only 2 moto massage elements) and several light covers broken and floating in the tub. I fear for post-warranty repairs.

I have a case with them but their response is basically "wear and tear is normal". That's insane. They are basically admitting that they are no longer making reliable products. I'm so sorry we spent the extra money upfront, so that now in our retirement we wouldn't have expensive repairs. We now will have the worst of both worlds...expensive tub AND expensive repairs, based on their track record so far. I so wish it were like our old tub that had some "wear and tear" after 10 lovely years of use. I think we have a lemon... or they've gone so far downhill... Sad.

Pinned
      Barbara, Thank you for being a loyal Hot Spring Spa owner. I am sorry to hear that your present experience is not faring as well as your previous ones.

I see that you are working with one of our veteran agents; she will be able to address all of your concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and allow us to work with you and the dealer.

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2021

After 4 months, I still don't have a spa that's working. Their service communication is terrible. The only contact is from me. They do NOT call me back. The story on why changes every time I call them. Now, I've had to prep an empty spa for winter because they don't have their act together.

Pinned

Oh no! That is not ok. I will message you to gather additional information to see how I can help.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I am sorry that you have not been able to enjoy your spa yet.

I look forward to working with you.

Customer ServiceMaintenance

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2021

Updated on 10/25/2021: I got an acknowledgement from Vanessa - that they are looking into my problem. Hello Vanessa - where are you??? See my post from October 4th - Charles, Laconia NH. It is now October 25th. We just had our first frost. There can be no more repair work on the HotSpring Model Envoy Tub. Well over a dozen leaks later I am faced with having to fully drain and go yet another winter without my hot tub.

This is the worst product I have ever purchased - poor quality, continuous failure, extensive loss of chemicals and a very frustrated dealer [they did not make this terrible product]. So here I am with a chronic back problem, arthritic neck and two balky knees - facing the fact that I will have to now go an additional 6 months for a total of 18 without the use of my tub.

HotSpring / Watkins should be ashamed of themselves. They have no understanding of quality and or customer service. Shame on them. Do Not Buy This Product. I am letting everyone in my Builders Association know that they should steer away from HotSpring. Anyone that wants to call me or email me, feel free to do so. ** or **.

Original review: I purchased a Hot Spring Tub Model Envoy approximately 7 1/2 years ago. Up until Fall of 2019 things were OK. I had to replace a jet and a heating element. OK - I can live with that expense. Then about this time last year, my tub started losing water. It took the dealer quite some time to get out and review the situation. By then, they claimed that they could not work on the leak because it would require warm back to back days to repair and for glues to set up.

My only choice was to drain the tub for the winter and wait until spring. Spring of course is busy season and it took a while to get out to the house beginning in May. It is now October and the tub is still losing water. In the meantime jets have been replaced. All of the jets have been caulked with an adhesive. Lines have been cut and replaced with new sections and couplers that also sprang leaks. The shell mysteriously cracked where a jet was replaced and had to be epoxied.

We are talking north of 1 dozen visits since May. Each time I wait 24 hours for the glue to dry, fill it, introduce all the chemicals again and get it up to temperature only to watch it lose an inch a day. I have had to re-up [purchase] my chemicals once already because of the frequency of emptying the tub. I've had Hot Tubs for nearly 40 years and never have I had such a dismal experience. I have a chronic back condition that I rely on the tub to soothe. I am coming to grips with the idea that I may need to buy a new tub - rest assured it will not be a Hot Spring. I am President / Vice President of the Homebuilders Association in the Lakes Region of NH.

Pinned
      Charles that all sounds frustrating and not spa friendly. I am sorry this has been your experience. I want to know more to see how I can help.
      Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

MaintenanceStaffWarranty

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2021

We bought A Hot Spot Relay May 2016. Loved it, until right after 2 years we had problems with the heater. Found out it was just out of warranty and bought parts to repair. This year right after 5 year warranty spa started leaking. The distributor we bought is too understaffed to send out repairman so after fighting the filler we found poorly attached hoses that were creating leak. We replaced, and resealed correctly, spent so much time fighting the filler and the water that soaked everything and put back together. All was well for two months and we have another leak. Took off panel, cleared the fill to find out it was at the bottom of the tub where we couldn't reach. We replaced all the jets and resealed them, put the spa back together and it is still leaking. 5 years old and nothing but problems with no service available from the store. Where to go from here?? Too much invested to give up after 5 years but don't know how to get it fixed.

Pinned

Oh no, Brenda, I am sorry to hear that your spa has a reoccurring leak. I am not sure of the particulars; however, I'd like to know more and see how I can help.

I will DM you for more information and assistance.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out.

Installation & SetupMaintenance

Reviewed Sept. 9, 2021

Our Hot Spring 7 seat Spa was purchased April 2020, in the nearly 1.5 years of owning it, it has given us noting but problems, purchased from Brisbane spa super centre. The salt water system is an absolute joke, put it simply, it does not work! We wanted a salt water spa to have a healthier experience and not bathe in chlorine. This system failed to produce any chlorine and the water was constantly green and smelt disgusting. After being told many times we were not using it right despite the fact I was following orders by the book and became a somewhat expert on spas.

After numerous attempts of the dealer to replace the salt cell and test the cells power only to tell me it was working fine, the water was still disgusting. I engaged the services of a 40 yr veteran in the spa industry who inspected our spa and informed me the salt systems in these spas are not fit for their intended purchase, nor was the circulation pump ample enough to circulate the water often enough to clean and filter the water. Spa super centre told me to add 1 tsp of chlorine per person per hour of bathing which was not in the manual and were not told when we bought a fresh salt water spa. Nonetheless I did this and still the water was putrid. The 40 yr veteran suggested I would need to add 4 to 5 tablespoons of chlorine for a spa this size, which I did and this was the only thing that kept the water half decent.

After sick of bathing and coming out smelling like chlorine Spa super centre finally agreed to install a UV system to purify the water, Long story short this also failed due to the inadequate hardware/ pumps in the spa not circulating water enough to filter correctly. After putting up with this for months and getting frustrated once again I called the dealers complaining, they attended and installed an ozone system. In short once again due to the inadequate hardware and an inferior ozone system it still failed to maintain the water and I had to continue adding chlorine. I came to the conclusion I didn't want the spa anymore and told them to restore the salt cell and give me what I paid for or take it back.

They came once again and installed the salt cell this time admitting when they installed the spa they added way too much salt and they all of a sudden had some new information from Hot spring in the States and their New Zealand dealer that when the salt level is too high the salt cell doest produce chlorine. Dealer advised me to buy a proper salt meter as the built in salt tester is useless which he admitted. I spent $200 on a salt meter and maintained the salt at a perfect level. I was advised to keep the salt cell setting on number 10 (the highest) and the spa started making chlorine. Now the salt cell was working it was producing so much chlorine we would get out stinking of chlorine each time.

Being a sufferer of bronchitis the chlorine in the lungs was causing me tightness of breath and this lasted for hours. When I turned the salt cell down to setting 6 and didn't use the spa for days, I went to hope in one day and the water was once again putrid. On top of this as the filtration system does not circulate water often enough we need to add not 1 cap, but 4 to 5 cap fulls of Oxyshock to the water after each use in order to remove organic matter which the filtration/ozone, UV, salt system should do. They all Fail miserably due to inadequate hardware.

I now find myself needing to replace salt cells every 2 months which is a joke and $100 each, and the last one has only lasted 4 weeks as it is now once again flashing needing replacement. As far as the energy efficiency it does this by using a VEERY small heater, when you get in your spa on a windy day the temperature drops by up to 2 degrees and you have to get out it's too cold. If it's a warmish day or night the water temp rises by up to 2 degrees and you have to get out as it's too hot and draining.

This spa is a disaster from day 1, We paid nearly 26K for it and it's a total lemon. Do yourself a favour and RUN A MILE and never look back. Buy a cheaper unit and have a professional install a good quality Ozone system like commercial pools have and you will be much happier. I will not be subject to being told I Don't know how to use the system, we have gone through this for 18 months and as I said earlier I have become an expert on spas, water maintenance, Ozone, UV, hardware and water maintenance. This spa is simply not built to do what it's intended for. I am now considering my options to raise a case in claims court to have this refunded if the dealers can not give me suitable resolutions to all the concerns which they have tried for 18 months and failed.

Pinned
      Louis, I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience. This is not ok, and I will elevate your concerns to the Regional in your area.
      There is quite a bit of misinformation, and I hear your frustration. For one, the spa doesn't come with a salt reader in the spa. We recommend using test strips to know how much salt is in the water. The salt system has been in our spas for over 10 years. We have many happy salt spa owners. I hope to improve your water care and spa experience.

Vanessa- CS

Jeff increased rating by 4 stars.
      Maintenance
      After a positive interaction with Hot Spring Spas, Jeff increased their star rating.

Reviewed Aug. 12, 2021

Hello, I just wanted to give you my feedback from owing my Hot Springs Envoy Spa serial #KK1S1114 purchased new 4/2/2014. I was under the impression that I was buying the best spa on the market. Boy did that turn out to be WRONG. I paid top dollar for it, around $13k when all the options were added. I thought I would get at least 10 years out of it but barely made it 6.

The spa was great for the first 5 years of service. The 6th year it started developing hose fitting leaks requiring foam digs that were a nightmare to deal with. After the 3rd and final leak we are JUNKING the spa. We have HAD ENOUGH. We are VERY Disillusioned and Disappointed in the product. There is NO reason for the hose fittings to develop leaks if they were glued properly from the start. Each one of the leaks discovered were MANUFACTURING DEFECTS from improperly glued fittings, I could see the lack of glue surrounding the fittings with the naked eye. What a JOKE. I realize my opinion means NOTHING to them because they already got my $ but know this; I will NEVER EVER purchase one of their products again. They have lost a customer for life. And that is sad because it all reflects on their SHODDY construction. Jeffrey ** RIPPED OFF CONSUMER.

Customer ServicePriceMaintenance

Reviewed July 2, 2021

Bought a JET SETTER NXT on 6/28/16. I also opted for the FRESH WATER III High-output Ozone Purification System. I live alone, a widow and 66 years old, and used the spa about 3X a week in the winter. It RARELY gets used in the summer. I was told that the salt water system was THE WAY TO GO!!! Don’t do it as you will spend more time trying to keep the water balanced then actually using the spa!! THEN when damage is done to your spa because of this, they will say it is not covered by warranty as damage was caused by misuse of the consumer!!!

I clean the filters and replace them regularly. I depend on the salt water system to monitor salinity level. I use test strips for other correct levels, such as PH, etc... The maintenance on this is not for the WEAK OF HEART!!! Topside remote hand controller had to finally be replaced within the first year of use because of malfunction. Many times before the replacement, I had to do continuous resets on it to even be able to have it read salt content in the water. It now has to be replaced again.

Spa was leaking a little each week in the first year I had it. Would have to continuously top it off, which usually would throw the salt water reading off. Was told over and over that I probably did not tighten the drain plug enough. FINALLY, after continuous phone calls, they came out and WONDER OF WONDERS, it had a leak on the underside of the shell that had obviously been there quite some time as it was stained with orange and green slime. That leak had been spraying on the interior motherboard and other electrical components. The tech repaired the leak, and decided that the motherboard was working correctly when refilled and fired up. He did replace the topside inset controller and the hand controller.

Now for the straw that broke the camel’s back…. Spa started causing my breaker panel to trip beginning of 2020. I called to report this. Was told not to worry because it was still under warranty. Called in Sept or Oct of 2020. FINALLY, in the early spring of 2021, a tech came and said that there was ANOTHER leak caused by a break in the PVC pipe connected to the water pump. He also noted all of the other problems with this spa. Rusted metal rings around all the jets, leaking interior light, failing water pump.

Then I had to wait until mid June 2021 for them to come and fix it. I was told, just prior to this visit, that they had decided to just pick the spa up and take it back to COMPLETELY service it. Supposedly, all parts had been ordered and FINALLY were in stock. Supposedly nothing was going to be a problem. Was original told that that is usually a $500.00 charge for this, but they were literally just 3 miles from me delivering a spa and were headed back with an empty trailer and would do it for free since I have been having so many problems and have waiting so long.

I called them just yesterday (6 weeks after they picked this spa up) and was now told ALL PROBLEMS ARE CAUSED BY USER MISUSE and thus not covered by warranty!!!! REALLY!!?! A broken PVC pipe, spraying water on electrical components is my fault?!?! Little white spots all over the interior shell. Was told that this damage is not covered under warranty as it is caused by misuse by the consumer because of water imbalance. Same thing with rust spots on the metal rings around the Jets. Was told this was my fault also. In a salt water system, we depend on the spa readings to know that everything is working in the GREEN. But no matter what damage happens, it will always be thrown back to the fault of the consumer, not the fault of the salt water system itself malfunction. I told them to just FIX THE LEAK and all electrical damage that this caused. I truly doubt that they even ordered any parts and had this outcome planned all along.

With all the downtime, I have probably have only about 40 total hours of use since original purchase. LEMON>>LEMON>>> And now everything is MY FAULT!!! I still do not have use of my spa, and am not holding my breath that I ever will be again.. I see that Watkins customer service usually replies to most posts, but that does nothing for the consumer, as actions speak louder than words.

After reading all these other complaints, this one complaint stood out to me. Although it does not apply to me (RIGHT NOW, but only time will tell)... Topside controller no longer being produced. Hot Springs Spa says that they make sure that parts are available for 20 years from original purchase. I understand that a part no longer being produced is not the fault of Hot Springs, but THEY should be responsible for any extra cost incurred because of the resulting problem of that part now being incompatible with the existing control box. BEWARE because they will pass that cost onto the consumer!!!

Pinned
      Nancy, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your water care system. I want to help.
      I will contact you to verify the details of your spa. As it turns out, you mentioned two different water care systems, and I want to make sure I am addressing your needs appropriately.

MaintenanceEase of Use

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2020

No spa beats the Highlife series styling and ease of maintenance. The sophisticated spa design is soothing in of itself and is a focal point in our yard. The newly redesigned Freshwater Salt System in our 2019 Envoy had some minor longevity issues in the beginning but now works flawlessly. The first set of cartridges lasted no more than 2 months each and were not generating enough chlorine. Our dealer said it was likely a bad batch of cartridges and gave us a new box for free. So far we are getting over 4 months of use out of each of the new cartridges with the perfect amount of chlorine generation. The only thing we did was that we flushed the spa with Ahhsome spa cleaner when we changed the water after 7 months (Hot Springs said you can go up to one year but our service tech said it's better to change the water every 6-8 months).

The only adjustment made to our maintenance routine was that we now keep the salt level a bit lower that the recommended 1750ppm (The directions say to add 9 1/4 cups of salt...we put 8 1/2 cups to 8 3/4 cups). we also add non chlorine shock once in awhile and keep the PH at the recommended level. The water is silky smooth, and has soft pleasant scent. The jets are powerful and well placed. They can be adjusted individually to suit each person's needs. Everything in the motor compartment is neat and appears to be well put together. Although the spa itself is made in California, some of the components are made in China and Mexico but appear to be of high quality.

The optional speaker system and subwoofer has a premium sound. The remote for the spa is simple to use but unfortunately looks like it belongs on a child's Fisher Price toy instead of a premium spa -It has been glitchy and had to be replaced twice under warranty. The moto massage DX gives a very unique therapeutic massage that no other spa can replicate. The Envoy is well insulated and holds its set temperature within 2 degrees no matter how cold it gets outside. We've had our Envoy for over one year and so far are very happy with our purchase. It is well designed, well built, is easy to maintain and provides a luxurious experience as advertised. We just hope the reliability holds up and if it doesn't, we hope Hot Springs continues to back up their product.

Hello J

Wow! Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your spa. You have a beautiful setup.
      It sounds like your dealer is a fantastic resource for all of your spa needs.

I appreciate you sharing your water care details. Finding the perfect routing for you and the water you have will set you up for many years of happy hot tubbing.

PriceMaintenanceWarranty

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2020

I have had two Hot Spring Spas. The 1st one lasted 10 years plus - as I left it my previous home. I purchased the largest spa with a recliner built available in 2009 - Vista for 7 people and 500 Gallons. It has worked incredible well - use it daily. I have had to replace 1 pump at about 7 years - reasonable. I then had a severe leak that required taking it to the dealership and have it totally dug out, the plumbing replaced, and refoamed 3 years ago. It took 3 months and $3500.00 to repair ($1,000 was to pick up and return from dealership).

Now it is severely leaking again (Like 1/4 of tub in a day). Had service come to look at it and it is not near the front (pump section) to easily repair. So now I can take it out and spend another 3500.00 and hope it works for a while, or buy a new one. Problem is that my dealership will not have one my size - a Grandee, the color I want for 9 months, the cost has increased 70 %, and it has the removable remote that seems to be having a lot of problems from the reviews I have read. So the warranty will be over and the cost to replace is at least 1 grand at a time. I am almost tempted to redo the plumbing again to fix the leak to avoid the new electronics. But the repair shop at the dealership recommends I buy a new one.

Pinned
      Oh wow! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry this has been your experience. Thank you for being a loyal Hot Spring spa owner. I will reach out to you and see how I may help.
      Thank you for your time, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2020

Purchased Envoy NXT in 2015 with Salt Cell Option. Spa has been maintained meticulously according to instructions and is used 1.5 hours per week. Jet sand mechanicals work well, but have had constant trouble with spa covers and salt cell (approx) every single year. My local long time Spa Dealer was knowledgeable/helpful until he was "dropped by Hot Springs" during yet another warranty event (which occurred before and during these COVID shutdowns).

I cannot get long time Spa Dealer to respond. I cannot get Hot Springs to help me either. They both point at each other, they both are responsible to provide me a cover and salt cell under warranty. Every Hot Tub Cover(s) provided under the warranty and purchased do not arrive in good condition, obvious manufacturing problems and then quickly (2 months) deteriorate seams stretch and vinyl literally melts/stretches over the side of spa top, which allows rain water leakage into the spa. This causes continuous/frequent water balancing problems every time it rains and then the salt cell overworks and this creates a shortened life span as described in manual.

I now have a $1500 problem EACH YEAR just in cover and spa salt cell expense because of lemon products + $ filters and chemical maintenance on my hands each year. I can't use chlorine for medical reasons... The spa accessories are ruining my hot tub experience and performance. Disappointed that Hot Springs did not contact me when they decided to no longer do business with the local dealer that I purchased from. We are long time spa owners/users. Never had trouble with covers like this. I previously had a cover that was 10 years old and still going strong when we gave it away!

Karin,
      I am sorry to hear this has been your spa experience.
      Water care should not be frustrating. I am sure we can devise a plan to get your salt online.
      Watkins backs your spa warranty. If the local dealer is no longer available, we step in and find you a service dealer.
      I will DM you to learn more and see how I can help.
      Thank you for taking the time to reach out, and I look forward to working with you soon.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceMaintenance

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2020

We purchased our Envoy at cost of £14,000 and had delivered in Sept 2020. It has sadly been one big disappointment. We were sold the idea of the freshwater salt system as good for your skin and easy to maintain. What a joke that has been, we have spent more time trying to sort out and monitor the water quality and cleaning filters than using the tub! The salt system simply does not work, it does not generate the chlorine required to maintain levels, so every few days when the reading drops to 1 -2 we have to add chlorine granules. I specifically chose a spa where we wouldn't have to do this as it irritates my skin and this has now set off my eczema requiring steroid cream from the doctor.

We are experienced hot tub owners having run 2 hots tubs previously for 12-14 years without any issues whatsoever. All along we have been blamed for 'contaminating the water' and causing the water balance issues even when it was green! I am sick of being told 'some people just don't get on with it' implying that we have chosen not to like it or make the effort in maintenance. We have spent more time on this than any other hot tub which has detracted significantly from it being a pleasure to own, we seem to have bought a lemon!

The set up was not done properly and we did not receive the required instructions. Eventually they have replaced the salt controller but it has made absolutely no difference whatsoever, the chlorine levels drop every 2-3 days consistently even though it doesn't have heavy use and we regularly clean the filters. Now we are being told it may be a phosphate problem. 2 months in it is clearly not as described and the salt system does not work. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Appalling product for a high cost.

Hello Caroline,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am sorry to hear it has been disappointing. I want to help. Can you tell me who your dealer is and your full name?

I know this has been frustrating, and as a veteran spa owner, water care should not be this difficult.

I am sure this can be worked out, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedMaintenance

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2020

My husband and I are both disabled Veterans and this hot tub is great therapy for us. We bought this almost 5 years ago. We have had nothing but problems since we bought it. All of our repairs have been under warranty thus far: 2 door replacements, 2 remote replacements, heater replacement, ozone thing replacement, light seal replacement. I called in for service in September and was told the guy would be out in two weeks. Three weeks later I called back in and they said it was going to be another 4 weeks. There is only one authorized dealer within 100 miles of us and they SUCK. They only came out fast because I called Hot Springs directly and complained. They replaced a part and had to order parts so they can replace the docking station and the remote AGAIN.

Since they came out, we are now leaking and now we have a jet leaking which they say they have to completely remove the tub, haul it to their shop (at our expense mind you) so they can work on it. They said we "might" get it back by January. This is completely ridiculous. I can't believe that we purchased this for the price of a car and have this many problems.

Pinned
      I am sorry to hear that your spa is again in need of service. I see that our team has reached out to you to learn more about your spa and see how we can help. Your spa operation and enjoyment are important to us.
      I will email you as well. I look forward to working with you soon.
      Thank you for your post.

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2020

I purchased a hot tub 4 years ago. This year at the beginning of Spring we noticed it was leaking. The same part keeps getting replaced and keeps leaking after months of waiting for someone to come to look at it in between. The last time someone came I was told they were going to replace all the parts in it and we waited for two months for the parts. He came today and replaced the same fitting he has been replacing. He was supposed to replace the hot tub cover that I paid for too but said he brought the wrong one. What do I have to to do to get this fixed. This is totally ridiculous!

Hello Janis,

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know about your spa experience. I want to help. I will DM you to see how I can assist. Owning a hot tub should be enjoyable and relaxing. I will do my best to make that happen.
      I look forward to working with you.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2020

Pitiful... Read the other 1-star reviews and mine is nearly identical. The salt system doesn't work worth a nickel. The customer service at Watkins Wellness, the manufacturer, is non-existent. Just plain awful. Never again am I going to buy anything made by Watkins! Pitiful!

Hello Nelson,

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your spa salt system. I understand that this has been your experience, and I would like to work with you and get your spa water care on track.
      Thank you for your time and for reaching out.

Ease of Use

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2020

The seating is very comfortable. The jets go the entire length of your back. One set of jets massages your back. The light can change colors. The controls are easy to use. I got the easy cover that is on a frame and lifts to one end.

Hello Gayle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your spa experience. The exclusive Hot Spring Spa Moto-Massage is like no other, and the lights add to the relaxing ambiance. I am glad to know you are enjoying your spa.

PriceMaintenance

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2020

Our first Hot Spring spa we bought 21 or so years ago was great. It was the big one that was the shape of a dog bowl. We moved after having that tub about 15-16 years. We did have to replace parts here and there (heater, etc), but things I would expect to have to replace over time. After we moved it was a no brainer to spend the extra money to get another Hot Spring (smaller one). Things were fine the first few years then lots of little things started failing. At year 6 it started leaking. We've been getting by by topping off every few days but now it's pointless. We were told it's expensive and difficult to repair leaks that are inside the insulation. 6.5 years for an expensive hot tub like this is extremely disappointing. Will look for a replacement but sadly won't be looking at Hot Springs. What happened to your quality. Major failure of "infrastructure" at 6.5 years?

Pinned
      Barry, I am sorry your second spa did not fare as well as your first. I appreciate your feedback, and I will make sure to share it with our team. Please know after 6+ years, we have made innovative changes and updates to our spas. We are continuously working to provide a wonderful hot tub experience. I hope you find your perfect spa and thank you for being a long time Hot Spring Spa owner.

Customer ServicePriceMaintenanceWarranty

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2020

Hot tub began leaking 1 month after their five year “no leaks” warranty expired. Hot Spring said, "Too bad, warranty had expired." You would think a product this expensive would not leak after just five years. Very poor customer service. Will not buy nor recommend Hot Spring hot tubs.

Hot Spring Spas Company Information