Home Security America

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have encountered nothing but problems with this company. They were recommended by my realtor's company and I trusted them. I have had to request service on 5 different occasions and they have not repaired one item. However, they always bill for their service fee. I contacted the owner of the realty company and supposedly he is going to get me a refund and cancel my policy. I will keep you posted. If they refuse, the realtor will get sued for the cost of my home. I relied on their references for HSA. Without that, I would not have purchased my home.

Hot water heater rusted and fell apart 2 days before Thanksgiving. Their soonest appointment was 7 days away. They assured me if I got a licensed plumber to do the work AND the plumber spoke with customer service prior to starting the work that it would be covered. Licensed plumber - check, approval from customer service - they REFUSED to even speak to the plumber. Accused me of lying. REFUSED to let me speak with a manager or supervisor. THEN - they refused to pay my claim because I "failed to get authorization." 7 days and a family of 5 with aging in-laws visiting and NO hot water. REPREHENSIBLE! If your realtor suggests this company, get another realtor.

Terrible company. I will file complaints with the BBB in their home state, in the state I reside in (Minnesota), and with the state attorney generals. Also with the realtor that recommended them. They promote fraud by selling an "insurance policy" that effectively covers almost nothing. 2 hour phone waits and circular logic to get the customer to hang-up. I strongly suggest everyone that has dealt with these crooks to file complaints with the BBB and the state attorney general offices.

HSA is a SCAM! I had a technician come out 4 times to fix a dishwasher that wasn't cleaning our dishes and they couldn't fix it. Now after replacing some parts, I have a leaking dishwasher, due to the inability to repair our dishwasher. I contacted HSA and they refused to replace it. They just want to keep sending out service men to fix a unfixable dishwasher and continue to make repairs that will do nothing. They refused to pay any damages that the technician created, but they still want to continue to send the same unqualified technicians out... This warranty is a scam! Don't waste your money.

The only reason this business is open is because new homeowners are inexperienced in this field. Never again will I give a dime to this despicable company and I'll do my best to warn off others. 95% of the BBB reviews are negative! ConsumerAffairs gives them 1 out of 5 stars! What more do you need to know? If only I'd have researched this company before blindly agreeing to my realtor's suggestion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

I have read other reviews on this company as well as the CEO's response to criticism. First off having been a Realtor for over 10 years and dealing directly in these warranties and selling them to my clients I have not had much feedback from them good or bad or if they used them. The feedback I did get was always pretty good. This is my first experience with this company as a home owner as I had purchased this when I recently bought my home in Alaska. I use the internet a lot to search reviews on goods or services I am looking at purchasing especially when it's a high dollar value item. And I put much faith in those reviews.

Per the CEO's response of the 85% of satisfied customers, that just means 85% did not compliment or complain that doesn't mean they didn't have issues. I am sure that the number of issues is much higher than reported because people just don't want to take the time to file a review as it requires another thing you have to create an account for and I'm sure other time consuming reasons. So on to the complaint/recommendation.

It's January 6, 2017 and my furnace stops working at 4:30 pm on a Friday in Central Alaska where temps will be getting into the -digits overnight. Now because I have the warranty I have to file a claim before I can do anything. Calling to have it fixed without filing the claim means I get stuck with the bill. So I call HSA and no exaggeration I am on hold for 2+ hours and then the line picks up and I get a recording stating "there is no one available at this time" and the line goes dead!!!!!!

So now I go online and filed the claim, however the online version does not allow you to request the service be expedited (no heat, negative temps=freezing pipes hypothermia and so on....). The online submission is very easy and immediately I get an email with the vendor name and number. Only problem is I call them it's now after normal hours, (remember the two hour hold) and the vendor's emergency after hours number is just to leave a voicemail and "someone will get back to you." With these warranties you have no option for using another vendor without prior approval, same goes with repairs in an emergency and getting reimbursed.

So now it's the next morning the next day. I had to go buy two space heater that I'm sure I won't get reimbursed for. I call HSA again at 5 am Alaska time, and of course goes right to on hold scenario again. For kicks I hang up and call back again this time selecting the option "purchase a new warranty," as if I'm not an existing customer and I want to buy HSA's warranty, and lo and behold a lady answers the phone after 1 ring, again no joke 1 ring. Of course that's the case as it is potentially "new money" coming in. I explain my situation to her, no heat overnight, no call from the service vendor yet, and of course the two hour hold ending in a hang up. Thought this lady was very friendly and somewhat understanding she could not do anything for me and told me her screen is showing a "30 minute" hold time and she transferred me. It's now been 47 minutes I have been on hold. I am sorry but this is completely unacceptable.

So Mr. President, ROBERT LEHMANN, I don't care about your "numbers" of satisfied customers and or repeat customers, your customer servicer via a phone call is horrible and you sir need to address it and get the problem solved. I will never recommend one of your warranties to a client or anyone else at this point. So 50 minutes into my call someone answers. So far she is very pleasant, empathetic and is doing what she can at this point. So this review unlike other is not all negative, as both people I've talked to so far are nice. We will see how it goes from here and I will update this review when done. But as of this time, DO NOT USE HSA, do your due diligence and search reviews online for a more service friendly companies, as this one has major issues with its phone service calls, not the operators or phone service techs themselves, but with the unacceptable wait times.

HSA Home Warranty is a scam. My water heater pilot light broke, so I called the warranty company. They sent out a service tech to diagnose and I paid my $75 deductible. The service tech told me my water heater was up to code. So, when the warranty company called to say I needed a new water heater, but I had to pay over $700 in fees, I was shocked. They said I needed a $400 permit, which I don't since I would be replacing an existing water heater. They said I needed to pay to bring it up to code, which I don't. The service tech told me it was up to code. They said I needed to pay for a drainage pan, which I already have. Plus disposal fee, labor for 2 techs among other things. I'm furious. I can't believe they can get away with this.

I had an Air conditioning problem at my house in Prior Lake Mn which was covered under a home owner’s policy that came with the house. Every time I need to contact HSA I wait on the phone for ten to twenty minutes. Not sure if there is their way of reducing claims. After I got through I got a contractor out and they did a fine job. I paid the contractor my $75 deductible. So then I start getting these letters saying I owed the $75. So I call (long wait) and explain I paid the contractor and the information in front of me, they said they would look into it. I asked them to send me some confirmation once it straightened out. They told me their phones won't call out. I asked for an Email then and they said they would see.

Month later same ** letter, same long wait on the phone. Tell the guy my story again. Have the credit card information ready. He tells me, “O yeah I see here you called and explained this, but when you called the girl used the wrong form so it was rejected, I'll correct this we already confirmed you paid.” Well about a month later I get the damn bill. I guess if you send out enough bills to people who don't owe you anything a few of them get paid? Luckily my wife asked me about this before she paid it. I should be billing HSA for my time. I wonder if they would pay.

I am now waiting 3 weeks in the middle of December in Cleveland with mid teen to zero weather for heater to replaced and am nowhere nearer to having it done - this is ridiculous. Everyday told a different story and every day told it will be approved next day. They have no way to expedite their procedures and instead of picking up phone and calling suppliers they use email and for 3 days have been waiting for email responses - I had to ask them repeatedly to pick up the phone and call their suppliers. The only shining light is the poor customer service people who are only ticket takers are pleasant but they have zero ability to do anything.

Received HSA home warranty from seller when I bought my home and so far the service is horrible. I have had multiple problems with my gas furnace (randomly working). I called last night (7pm) 48 degrees in my house 15 degree low outside temp, hsa's expedited service is someone will call you in the morning. I can't wait to see how they will weasel out of fixing my unit! STOP GIVING THESE PEOPLE $$$!

When denied a service request, asked for supervisor. Supervisor told me it didn't matter what I had to say, request was denied. When pushed, she finally agreed to a second opinion. She was short, and really did not wish to speak to me. Not very good customer service... Not sure I would recommend HSA to anyone, if they had a choice in companies.

Had to use HSA twice after new house purchase (warranty came with the house). Once the heat went out in winter of course. The primary contractor was 'booked up' for 3 days, and could not be reached on the phone. We had to demand an emergency be declared to allow a secondary contractor, who was excellent (because I found them). Of course HSA grills the contractor about if the homeowner broke their own heat. Really? Second time was for plumbing, the stereotypical water dripping through the ceiling. Again the primary contractor never showed and could not be contacted on the phone. Had to find our own. HSA is a scam. It is impossible to get them on the phone too, and their system for tracking issues is **.

It is a shame, and outrage, that they are allowed to be in business. Is this how you make all your money Warren Buffet, you crook? Hey government, why don't you use all that tax money and protect your citizens from crooks like these guys? SERIOUSLY?! They have a 1 star review here. Unbelievable. And you guys want MORE TAXES? DO YOUR JOB.

I am a new homeowner, I have only been in my house for a month. The HSA home warranty came with the purchase of the home. I had an electrical failure, an entire circuit shorted out. I have entire rooms and outlets all over the house that do not have power because they shorted out. I called HSA. They sent a contractor to check the problem out. It has been a week and I haven't heard anything as to when someone will be out to fix my problem so I call HSA. I am on hold for 40 minutes plus.

I hang up and call the electrical contractor myself. He tells me that he can't fix my problem because it's been denied. I tell him it's a failure and it is covered, he says, "Yes failures are covered but because we are not sure where it is we can't get the authorization to fix it." Well I could have told him, "I don't know where it is either that is why you're here to find it and fix it." Then he tells me he knows where it is but it is somewhere in my wall (duh) and they will have to tear out a wall and duct work to get to it. The contractor was very nice but he did tell me that his hands were tied and that I would have to contact HSA myself. I called my realtor she said she would see what she can do. I am very concerned if there is a short in my electrical my house could catch fire. HSA is awful. I see litigation in my future.

HSA is awful! We have had them for 4 years and this year when it came time for renewal I was charged not only for my monthly fee but my account had 2 fraudulent charges on my account for a person of another name. I tried calling and got the RUDEST person which I ended up hanging up after being told I couldn't speak with a supervisor. I followed up with 4 other phone calls all of which I was kept on hold for over 30 minutes. This place is a ripoff and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

We bought a home in 2012 and purchased an HSA home warranty "just in case" anything big might have gone bad. The home was old and we were first time home buyers not knowing too much about the big stuff, e.g. furnace, hot water tank, ac unit, etc. We never filed a claim for almost 4 years until 2 weeks ago our furnace wouldn't kick on. We live in Pittsburgh, and the weather can go from 76 one day, down to 40 the next. Called HSA, they sent a technician from a local HVAC company fairly quick. The tech said it was a bad control board, replaced it, paid him $75 and that was that. 2 hours later the furnace stopped working again. Called the HVAC company back, they sent a tech out the next day. He determined that the furnace was no good, and there was a carbon monoxide leak out of a cracked heat exchange.

HSA called us a few days later to let us know that we would have to pay an additional $1,650.00 out of pocket to the HVAC company to get everything replaced. I wanted to see how much HSA would reimburse us if we just bought a furnace and did it ourselves. $449.00. I'm not kidding. $449.00 to replace and install a furnace. No one can replace a furnace for that little amount. We've argued with HSA many times but they will not budge on the amount to be reimbursed. They are scam artists. If you have a warranty with them, cancel it as soon as possible. Also watch out for an auto-renewal. They hit us with that and we didn't find out until months later. They are a terrible company.

Ongoing trouble with refrigerator. Had 2 service calls from one company in September. They suggested it could not be repaired and should be replaced. Company required a second company to come look at refrigerator. Second company came 4 times within 4 weeks, unable to successfully repair refrigerator, then recommending to HSA a replacement be provided. HSA again refuses, instead requiring a 3rd company come look at refrigerator. We have been without a reliable refrigerator for close to 8 weeks, HSA refuses to follow the recommendations of 2 company THEY sent to fix, ie, their contractors. They totally have failed to meet their responsibility and we have lost hundreds of dollars worth of food. Completely shady and underhanded. DO NOT CONSIDER ENGAGING IN ANY DEALINGS WITH THIS WARRANTY COMPANY OR YOU WILL REGRET IT.

For all that read this - don't waste your money with this company. HSA will deny everything so the warranty is absolutely worthless. I have been paying into this company for a number of years and when I really needed them, typical insurance company - deflect and blame something else. This was a $7000 mistake. That is what it cost me out of my own pocket to correct the issue with my unit.

Here is my story. During the hottest days of summer of 2016, my Air Conditioner expired. After calling my contract company technician to the house for a review, he advised that the compressor had failed. He also advised that there was a dead snake in the unit as well, and had been there for quite some time and is not the cause of the unit failure. They gave me a quote for repair and charged me a $50 service fee per our agreement. I told them that I had a home warranty and was going to use them for this failure. His face grew grim and said good luck with that. Most reputable Heating and Air companies don't deal with these warranty companies any longer. The ones that do are in the pockets of the insurance company.

As predicted, the HSA insurance company sent out a tech who after a $100 fee stated the failure was due to a snake. (Keep in mind that snake had been there for a long long time per our other technician). As which I received a call from HSA stating this was not a covered and quickly hung up the phone. I have called them back and canceled the policy as now I have a $7000 Home Depot bill to pay. I calculate that I have spent over $4000 with HSA which is just throwing money away in my opinion. Good luck to anyone who is fortunate enough to read this post. I am copying this to other blogs and will continue a campaign to make sure everyone will know my story and they can make their own decision on whether to do business with a company that offers no value.

I called HSA for a service call on my hot water heater. They sent out a plumbing company, which called in to them to tell them it's bad and I need a new one. The new one was installed a week later, as HSA doesn't move quickly. The new one has never been right and produces lukewarm water. The plumbing tech came back out, called HSA to tell them that after calling the MFR because the thermostat went bad, the MFR determined that HSA had ordered the wrong tank. The plumber requested one for 220, and HSA's purchasing people sent one for 110 power. 220 going through it burned out the thermostat. When the plumbing tech called HSA to let them know what they did, and that another one is needed, HSA said they would order one in, but would not let my plumber expedite this by picking one up on his own, as they would not reimburse him for it.

They told him that it's not an emergency, to have a hot water replacement today. They also said, they would not cover the $100.00 removal fee of the existing heater, that I the home owner would have to pay that. Seriously people? HSA you send the wrong tank to my house, and you are going to make me pay to have it removed? And now I also have to wait several more days without hot water in my house so you can take your time in ordering me another one? I will never purchase a home warranty from this company again. They take your money, and don't want to pay for anything they don't have to, and don't care that they inconvenience the home owner, as "it's not an emergency" living without hot water.

We bought our home almost 10 yrs ago in a area we knew very little about. The previous owner added HSA home warranty. We've continue to keep HSA. They have the contractors who are very dependable and on time. HSA has saved us so much time an aggravation, of trying to find a reliable and dependable contractors. Their contractors are very nice and they explain everything that they are doing. A&E has had the parts on their trucks. So there is no waiting time for parts to be ordered. I'm so glad the previous owner put HSA on our house before we bought it and have recommended HSA to other people.

HSA auto-renewed our account - WITHOUT notifying us. Per their policy, the initial payment is an "agreement" to renew. However, they somehow "comped" the first couple of payments, so nothing hit our bank account until months after - so we were out of the timeframe to cancel. When we called after the charge hit the bank, they gave us the runaround for WEEKS - including changing our subscription to a HIGHER PREMIUM - again without our permission. When I asked for a manager, the rep hung up on me. At best this company is shady. Would absolutely not recommend anyone use this company.

Terrible service and technicians. My AC broke in June, and I called in. I spent forever on hold, but they did send in a work order. It took them a week to come out and fix my air! Then, it breaks a month later, bc he insisted it only needed freon. Conveniently, when I called in, my home warranty had just expired a few days before. They were very rude and refused to help me. When I asked to be transferred to the complaint department, they gave me a PO box in Iowa... Really.

At our realtor's suggestion, we purchased a home warranty with HSA. To be fair, we were able to use it successfully once, when our water heater failed. However, they never answer the phone, keep us on hold for ages - 30 minutes on hold is nothing for them, and when they do answer the phone, they are ineffectual. The most recent frustration is actually my trying to cancel our service. We have contracts on two properties and the price on one increased by more than 50% without any notice. When I realized that, I called twice to cancel, but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. I then left two emails on the "contact us" page, that promises a response within 24 hours. Never heard from anyone.

I finally spoke with someone about a month ago, told them to cancel the contract. They said they had and that someone from "Retention" would be in touch with me within a day. I knew that would never happen, and it didn't. Today, I received a threatening email about past due payments and when I called, I was told that the cancellation was "pending" with Retention. I asked to speak with Retention and am now on hold - again. They are thieves.

Called HSA to have my A/C serviced. I live in Fl where it's over 100 heat index daily in the summer. Baylis & Baylis is sent to diagnose/repair on Friday, 7/29. They said they found a weak capacitor in the blower motor, replaced it and all would be fine. Hours go by, and it's getting hotter, not cooler in the house. Called them back and they refused to return. Said it would take 24 hours for the house to get cool even though I told them the air coming into the house from the A/C unit was 75 degrees. It is supposed to be below 60! They do not work over the weekend, calls to HSA (over 1 hr wait to speak to anyone) was futile.

Today, Baylis & Baylis show up again, tell me that the unit seems to be working, even though the air is still coming out at 75 degrees. They then tell me it's not working because it's hot outside (I have a TRANE - contacted them, too!!) They don't know what to do to fix it, but they report to HSA that it is functioning. Call HSA again (another hour wait time), contested their "findings" and told they can't dispatch the (1) other A/C repair company they have in Manatee County, FL until Baylis and Baylis sends in their report which would PROBABLY be this evening. Only then can HSA dispatch the 2nd company, and I PROBABLY would hear from them on Wednesday. The unit is running constantly in a desperate attempt to try and keep the house somewhat bearable, a standalone A/C unit needed to be purchased to try and assist.

I have taken off work, My husband has taken off work, I'm sure my electric bill is thru the roof & I have a house at 82 degrees if I'm lucky. Without the stand alone, it would definitely be over 90. To surmise ~ A/C repair guy - "Your A/C isn't working because it's hot outside, and I don't know what to do to fix it." He can't tell me why it worked flawlessly thru 10 prior summers, but did suggest that it was never this hot before - Seriously??? HSA - "We can't do anything for you..." Followed by "No one works on weekends," "We need to get a report before we can do anything," "Maybe Wednesday." - This is what I get in return for 10 years of faithful payments!!

I've had an HSA contract for the 10 years, and this year has been the worst experienced trying to get assistance. It takes a representative no less than 45 minutes to come to the phone, then they have an attitude. I have taken off work to wait on contractors three times, and they never showed up. All HSA can tell me is, they can call the company to come out again. I need you to call and find out why your customers are being treated in this manner! This is poor service to customers like me who pay hundreds of dollars every year!! When we don't need service, we do not get refunds on any of the money we pay out each year, and I think the representatives and the company in general need to be proactive in ensuring that the contractors they use are reputable, and that HSA representatives are trained to service the public. I am canceling my service immediately!!

Our A/C is not working. It's been two weeks since we contacted HSA. They sent a local repairman (Highland Breeze HVAC) who told us HSA needed to approve the repair. The warranty didn't cover all the repairs necessary. We had to spend an additional $400 for the repairs that were not covered. Now we are four hundred bucks poorer and we still don't have a functioning A/C pending the HSA approval of the repair that IS supposed to be covered. It's July in North Carolina. Ugh! The local repairman is not answering any calls or E-mails at this point. Perhaps this review should be about Island Breeze HVAC... but they were dispatched by HSA who are ultimately responsible.

This insurance was purchased at the time of we bought the house. After about 1 week, the refrigerator/freezer failed, and we lost several hundred dollars in seafood, beef, etc. They have refused to replace the item despite that it has been nearly 40 days since the failure and initial service call. They refuse to pay for replacement, suggesting that they don't care if we live without the refrigerator freezer for a prolonged period of time. I waited > 20" before a rather rude and unresponsive 'representative' answered. She refused to connect me with customer relations, or her supervisor. This is essentially theft.

Have been trying for a month to get appliances fixed. No such luck. As other reviews have stated, forever on hold, disconnects, no supervisor to help, never get return calls. We all need to come together and file a class action against this company. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

I've been without air conditioning for over two weeks and just when I think all the issues are resolve both the air-conditioning company and HSA come back with other twists in the program. After two weeks I am nowhere closer to getting my air-conditioning fixed than I was when I got started. They are now claiming that to replace it, it will cost an additional $275. for parts that are not part of the system. But nothing has been done. If you are considering this warranty service, run away quickly, it's absolutely the worst.

On hold for 30+ minutes every time. Automated system cannot find contract. Boasts of availability to log requests on-line, but it can't ever find my account. Takes 5-7 days to even get an appointment, then they don't bother showing up. Very frustrating! My refrigerator has been broken for 3 weeks, but they aren't in a rush to get it fixed. BEWARE!!!

I emailed HSA 3 times no response. Called 3 times. First two times I was on hold for almost an hour and had to get off phone. Next time I get a hold of them, tell them my problem and they say they will "call you tonight or tomorrow to set up appointment." NO calls from HSA or plumber. Next day call back, on hold. I go wash my car still on hold. Finally an answer. I ask for a supervisor. Nope will not connect me. After this and last year of 3 months without a hot water tank I'm done. This place is a rip off. Take warning.

Home Security America Company Profile