2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Home Security America, commonly known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Get a quote online or over the phone to see what the company covers, what riders or add-ons are available and how much a contract costs. HSA serves 25 states, and its customer service line is open 24/7.

BOTTOM LINE

HSA's home warranty options are straightforward. If you're interested, first make sure it operates in your state, then decide if HSA's coverage and pricing work for you.

PROS

• Easy quote process
    • Helpful online resources
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Home Security America Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

We bought our home almost 10 yrs ago in an area we knew very little about. The previous owner added HSA home warranty. ... They have the contractors who are very dependable and on time. HSA has saved us so much time and aggravation, of trying to find reliable and dependable contractors.

We received this home warranty when we purchased our home. When the first year was over we were given an option to extend. ...about a month after renewing our furnace broke. HSA was quick to respond and got us a new furnace within 2 days. It was a great experience. ... I definitely recommend.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Home Security America?

Home Security America, also known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Home warranties are service contracts that cover the repair costs for home appliances and systems when they break down.

HSA’s service process is simple:

1. The customer places a service request online or calls the 24/7 customer service line.
      2. HSA assigns a local service professional to the job.
      3. The service professional contacts the customer to schedule an appointment.
      4. The service professional repairs or replaces the broken system or appliance, and HSA takes care of the bill. The customer pays a service call fee.

Home Security America serves the following states: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Home Security America coverage

Coverage varies by state, but our sample quote for a one-year plan on a home in Illinois covered the following:

Plumbing
      • Water heaters and instant hot water dispensers
      • Plumbing parts and primary sump pumps
      • Routing of drain line stoppages
      • Water, gas, drain and waste lines
      • Polybutylene leaks
      • Toilet tanks, bowls and wax ring seals
      • Whirlpool bathtubs
      • Water heater sediment removal
      Heating and air conditioning
      • Central heat
      • Central air, heat pumps
      • Thermostats
      • Ductwork
      • Ceiling fans
      • Interior attic and exhaust fans
      • Central vacuums
      Appliances
      • Ovens, stovetops and ranges
      • Built-in microwave ovens
      • Trash compactors, dishwashers and garbage disposals
      • Garage door openers
      • Burglar alarms
      • Fire alarms
      • Doorbell systems
      Miscellaneous
      • Rekeying (up to six keyholes and four identical keys)
      • Failures due to lack of maintenance
      • Failures due to rust and corrosion

Home Security America cost

HSA home warranty costs vary widely. Annual premiums for standard plans range from $195 to $619. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, falls between $75 and $100. Our quote for a sample home in Illinois was $505 for one year and $100 per service call.

Our sample plan in Illinois also listed 11 potential coverage add-ons:

• Pool and hot tub combination: $175
      • Water softener: $40
      • 7 Star Upgrade (for more coverage): $149

Home Security America FAQ

Does HSA Home Warranty require home inspections?
      No, you can purchase a home warranty from HSA without a home inspection.
      Are HSA home warranties transferable?
      Yes. If you sell your home while it’s still under HSA warranty, coverage transfers to the new owner. You just need to contact HSA to make sure everything transfers correctly.
      Is HSA’s customer service available 24/7?
      Yes, you can contact HSA’s customer service at any time of day.
      Does HSA choose the service contractor?
      Yes, HSA chooses the contractor, who then sets up an appointment with the customer needing service.

Is Home Security America worth it?

Home Security America might be worth it for consumers looking to protect their home’s appliances and systems. Prices in some areas are steep, but there are affordable options, too. If HSA doesn’t provide coverage in your state or its prices are too high for your budget, we recommend comparing quotes from other highly rated home warranty companies.

Home Security America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: July 7, 2020

I am ready to cancel my service with HSA, my fridge has not worked for 22 days, (still not fixed) and with way too many calls to them holding on as long as 73 minutes, with several calls over 20 minutes while on hold. I was to have service today between 8-12 to repair at 2:30 I called HSA and they said the service call would be tomorrow between 8-12. I tried calling PYK appliance who they scheduled to come out for the repairs (you would have thought I would have gotten a courtesy call from PYK appliance to say they would not be here today, I had cancelled Dr. & other appointments so it could be repaired, but now I will have to change my plans AGAIN! NO MORE HSA for me, I am fed up with HSA & PYK for sorry or NO customer service!

Original review: June 25, 2020

My experience with HSA is very negative. Every time I call I spend at least 40 minutes waiting to talk. They send shady companies to estimate, and those estimates are always twice higher than the ones from independent companies. Our septic's electrical part was not working. But contract is not clear and they could interpret it in their way to deny coverage. Same was with our dishwasher electrical board. Would not recommend it to anyone. Just a waste of money.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

My AC has been out for a month. It's summer, it's hot, and I'm pregnant. I've made this company aware of the issues and after they ordered the wrong unit TWICE, they ordered a back-ordered part and I was told its going to be another 2-3 weeks before I can get the replacement part. I've tried to contact management or a complaint department, but they just gave me an address to mail a written complaint to. This is unacceptable in this day and age and this is a health risk at this point and we should not have to pay out of pocket for fans and AC units to fix an issue that should have been resolved weeks ago in order to protect my health.

Original review: June 23, 2020

We have been without A/C for 4.5 wks now. I have Respiratory issues & asthma. I've called in 5 times to the main 800# looking for someone to either connect me direct to the Cash out Dept. or give me the Cash Out Dept's. direct #. I'm still waiting. They consistently fail to give me the # or have a Supervisor call me. That has been happening now for 6 days. I've spent daily up to 4 hrs on hold. The Service Technician, which took 2 wks for him to show up has recommended we replace both the Condensor Coil & the Compressor, as both leak. We had this same Technician come out last summer for the same issue, so we have paid 2 service calls in a yr's time for the same problem. Another Technician stated the system is a sealed system & should have been ordered to he replaced last yr. instead of a bandaid.

The 1st call was simply a temporary fix never fixing the problem. The call I did get from HSA advised they are authorizing 100% of both the labor & equipment costs. Yet their only paying 40% of what any one contractor has quoted for equipment & labor. Even the Service Technician they sent out says the total is $4060. to replace the equipment & labor. We have a 5k limit per equipment per our contract. Yet HSA is only paying 1,900 expecting us to pay the other 2160 for similar equipment that is actually a subpar brand to the brand we currently have. I want HSA Cash Out Dept. to explain why they're not covering the full cost of replacement and let us hire our own Technician & reimburse us for the $1900 or more.

I need to speak to the Cash out Dept. ASAP. We've paid for a Home Warranty from HSA for 7 yrs. I never will recommend anyone deal w/ HSA. they use the subpar techs for HVAC as HSA doesnt pay them well so the Techs add in extra uncovered charges. No one can replace a Condenser & Coil for $1,900. We need action! To be able to get Cash Out Dept to call us. Never again!

Jill

Original review: June 18, 2020

We have had an HSA warranty for over 10 years. We pay the monthly premium and the service fee every time a service request is placed. On a few occasions, things have gone smoothly and the repair is done in a timely manner. Most times, however, this is not the case. HSA uses the huge costs of AC repair in their advertising as being the main reason to purchase a home warranty. They, however, have no intention of ever replacing an AC unit that needs replacement. Our AC started having issues about 5 years ago. We have paid to have it "fixed" at least twice a year since then. The repair men who have come out have repeatedly recommended replacement because they know the bandaids they are putting on won't hold. HSA has never authorized it but, instead, will only pay for parts (that normally take 2-3 weeks to get).

May 5, 2020, the AC unit again stopped working. We paid the service request and the contractor, Redeemed Heating and Air, came out within 2 days. They diagnosed the problem (a part that had already been replaced in recent repairs) but said it would take 3 weeks for the part to get in. 3 weeks later, they came and installed the new part. That same day, the AC stopped again. I called Redeemed and asked them to come back out and they said they couldn't come back out for 6 days and I would have to call HSA to have a "Recall" put in to authorize them to come back out. EVERY time I have to call in to HSA, I'm on hold at least 45 minutes (no, that's not an exaggeration) before I can speak with someone, so it always stinks to have to make that call.

When a rep finally answers, I explain the situation and how 6 days to come fix it is unacceptable since it's already been almost a month without AC, so I request for them to send a different contractor to come out who can get to us in the next few days. He says he has to confirm with Redeemed that they can't get to us within 48 hours, but, at this point, it's 5:10 and Redeemed is closed. I explain that I had already called them and that's what they told me but he can't take my word for it and must talk to them himself. He says he'll have to call back tomorrow to confirm that they can't get us in. I ask that instead of me calling in and waiting 45 minutes again, could he call me back when he confirms with the contractor? He agrees and promises he will do that. The next day comes and goes and I don't receive a call.

I call back the following day and, 45 minutes later, finally get to speak with another rep. I explain AGAIN what is going on and he again tells me he has to confirm with Redeemed. I don't know why they can't take my word for it, but they treat customers like lying idiots. He puts me on hold so he can call Redeemed. I hold, and hold, and hold. After being on the phone for 1 hr and 32 minutes, I have to accept the fact that he is never coming back. So, I hang up and dial HSA AGAIN. 45 minutes later, I am again explaining to another service rep the situation except this time, I am adamant that I not be placed on hold and that they just get me a new contractor. Of course, in the same breath that she says she will definitely "help me out with my issue" says she will just need to place me on hold to confirm with the contractor that they can't get me in. I swear these reps don't actually understand English and are reading off a script.

I finally accept defeat and agree to be put on hold again. After 10 minutes, she comes back on and confirms what I had been telling her the entire time, except now they can't get us in until the 11th!! So, I explain that that's ridiculous and I'd like another contractor. She tells me they don't have another contractor who can come so she can just place me in a queue that contractors can pick me up when they have an opening. Um, so your solution to get me a repair faster is to put me on a list with an indefinite contractor and an indefinite appointment time? Obviously, that doesn't thrill me so I ask if I can choose my own contractor since they don't have one, and she refuses, even though the contract states that that is in fact how it should go. I ask to speak with a supervisor and she actually has the audacity to not only say that's not possible but then she asks me why!

I give a very quick run down of why I feel like I need to speak with a supervisor and she says she will put me on hold to check if one is available. She immediately puts me on hold and after a few clicks the call ends. I am ready to SCREAM at this point and decide to just forget dealing with HSA and accept the fact that no one there cares and I am just stuck with waiting until June 11 to get the AC repaired. June 11th comes, and no one shows up. I call Redeemed to ask why no one came and she informs me that HSA sent out an email on the 6th cancelling the appointment. So, they cancelled the appointment but never got another contractor to replace them. So I am back at square one.

I literally want to cry at this point, but instead pick up the phone and wait 52 minutes this time to get to speak with someone. This time a very pleasant rep comes on and apologizes for the stress and has no problem getting me a new contractor. She assigns Premier and they are able to come out 2 days later. They find that what was wrong with the AC was actually a bad coil and that this had obviously been a problem for a long time (so all those other $75 service calls I paid for were a waste). They tell me they will get in the diagnosis to the approval department ASAP. I wait all day Sunday and Monday and hear nothing from either company, so I call Premier and she explains that HSA's phones had been down all day so she wasn't able to submit the diagnosis and they aren't allowed to order parts or do any repairs until they've received permission to continue from HSA.

I call HSA, and, of course, 45 min later, get to explain the situation again to a new rep who tells me the phones aren't down and she can't do anything except to send Premier an email explaining the different ways that they can submit a diagnosis for repair approval (including fax). Apparently, the reps I can speak to have absolutely no way of getting in touch with the approval department. So, I wait all day Tuesday and call Premier again and they, again, insist they didn't get an email and that the phones are still down. So, I call HSA back again. This time, I wait 55 minutes to speak to someone. They again insist that the phones are working but they have no way of getting the approval dept. to move on the diagnosis or contact Premier. So Premier can't move until getting approval from a department that refuses to even answer their phones, I realize that I am out of options and ask to speak to a supervisor again.

I explain that I was hung up on last time I requested this and he assured me, he would stay on the line until a supervisor picked up. He actually did. 3 HOURS LATER, I FINALLY got to speak with a supervisor (I have taken a screenshot of all these phone calls showing the call time length just because I knew it would seem like exaggeration). After explaining all the details, he apologizes and says he understands my frustration and is sad that I've had to go through all this. He explains, however, that other than sending an email to the approval department to ask them to reach out to Premier to get the diagnosis, his hands are tied and he can't do anything for me. He offers to refund the $75 service fee and I explain that instead I would much rather him just follow through with the email and with Premier making sure that I don't have to call back again to make the two companies cooperate with each other.

He insists that he will do that and will also refund the service fee. I thank him for the gesture and breath a sigh of relief knowing that this whole ordeal would be coming to an end. That relief was very short lived because the next day came and went and I heard nothing from either company. Today, I tried calling Premier and they won't answer the phone. I texted them requesting a status update and three hours later, have still heard nothing. I am getting ready to call HSA again but am feeling so defeated and frustrated that I decided writing a review for LITERALLY the worst company I have ever had to deal with, might be more productive than calling, being put on hold for at least 45 minutes, promised I would be taken care of, and discovering I've been lied to again and again and again. It's a cycle that I have no idea what to do about. I'm at a loss.

The worst part of all of this is I (a 38 year old woman) am not the one having to live in the home with no AC. It's my parents who are in poor health and in their late 70's who have been sleeping on the couch sharing a fan for the last 45 days that have been suffering. They actually sit outside all day where it's in the 90's because it's cooler out there than it is in the house. I'm looking at other cooling options like portable ac's and window units because it's unbearable now, but shouldn't have too. The reason I bought this warranty for the house was so we had the peace of mind that these things would be taken care of. I have had other home warranty companies on other homes I've owned and while none of them are perfect, they are all much better than HSA. If you are shopping around, please take my advice: run don't walk away from HSA.

Original review: May 28, 2020

This warranty was part of a new house purchase. I never would have bought from them under any other condition. I have been trying to get an appliance fixed for 3 days. Yesterday they told me a tech would be out between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. today (which is a ridiculous window to make somebody wait). Now here we are at 3 in the afternoon still no contact from the tech and when I call the tax company they have no record of the claim. So my wife's sat at home for 7 hours today for nothing waiting for these idiots to show up. I have now been on hold with HSA's 800 number for 23 minutes. This is by far one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. That lethal combination of incompetence and zero customer service.

Original review: May 28, 2020

This service intentionally makes themselves unavailable. No email address. Incredibly long phone hold times. Can't get hold of anyone. Sorry I've spent money on their poor service. When they do answer, they continually ask to put you on hold again and again.

Original review: April 14, 2020

This is the worst home warranty company I've ever dealt with. They provided us a plumber to replace our water heater who did not properly installed it. A year goes by and we have another plumber here to fix a pilot light issue to which he mentioned that our water heater was not installed properly and is not up to code. Home Security America refuses to fix the problem by continuing to say "we will call you back" or "we cannot get in touch with this company" or a million other excuses. We will not be renewing our plan with them and will smear their name every change I get. I will happily delete my comments once my problem is fixed.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Same as everyone else. We have been without a refrigerator for TWO MONTHS. We are a family of 5, with a newborn baby. Unfortunately the people we bought our home from fell for the HSA scam, and we were hopeful that we would be able to get some results from them when our refrigerator tanked. The contractors have done the same (intense and inconvenient) job three times, and nothing has been fixed. HSA refuses to replace the unit, and says that they need to continue to try to fix it until it is deemed unfixable.. which will be never. I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy dealing with these people, please do not do the same!

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I purchased a home in September with a home warranty thorough HSA. In January the dishwasher stopped working, so I put in a service request with HSA. I was given a 4 hour time slot for the service request. The technician then came to my house an hour earlier than the 4 hour window that HSA gave me so no one was home to let the technician in. I called HSA and was told that it was my fault for not being home during that time and would need to submit another $75 request with HSA to have my dishwasher serviced. There was even a point where the HSA person tried telling me I had the technicians time wrong and it was my fault for not being home during my allotted time slot (while I had my confirmation email with the time slot time stamped in front of me during our call).

Eventually I got another technician scheduled to come out to look at the dishwasher. He told me the dishwasher needed a new part and he’d have it mailed to my house and be back to install It. I received the part in the mail but never received further communication from the technician or HSA. I received an email from HSA letting me know my service had been completed.

I emailed them back to let them know that the service had not been completed, as I had an uninstalled dishwasher part currently sitting next to my broken dishwasher. No response from HSA so I called for the first time to follow up. I was told I needed to call the technician directly and was given a number to call. It was a spam number offering me promotions to cruises and car services. I called HSA back again after and received a different person in the call center. This person told me they reached out to the technician and I would be receiving a phone call from the technician directly within the next 24-36 hours.

After 48 hours of no call from a technician I called again. This time, the person on the call center told me she needed her manager to open me a new ticket for my request. She told me she was working with the manager to get a technician out to my house that day so he would fix the dishwasher. The call center person told me this would take some time but she would call me back that day to fix the dishwasher. This was two days ago. I haven’t received any communication from HSA or a technician since. Long story short, it’s now nearly March and I still don’t have a working dishwasher. I’m most likely going to need to just purchase a new dishwasher because I am out of ideas for getting HSA to service my request. Do not purchase this warranty.

Home Security America Company Information