1.21/5
Based on 185 reviews that contain star ratings

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

194 Home Security America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

1. Wait-time is well over an hour before we are able to speak to a human being. 2. When we finally get to speak to someone, it is a person who does not have a great command of the English language and does not understand the complaint. We find ourselves repeating the issues several times and then end up so frustrated that we give up. 3. HSA-American Home Shield sends out servicemen to do a job but many of them have do not have the ability to fix the problem. We end up spending hours on the phone trying to resolve issues, and still wind up with the work not done.

4. We are being charged $450 in service fee calls for work that could not be fixed by the servicemen who were sent out. In particular, a. Dishwasher Service Request: The serviceman came out and after several hours was unable to find the problem or fix the dishwasher. We were told to find another repair service and we would be reimbursed any charges. We finally contacted ARS Rooter who was able to fix the problem after about an hour and a half. We were charged $150 for the repair which we paid. Resolution: We are asking for the HSA service fee of $75 to be waived and for reimbursement of the $150 we paid to the serviceman from ARS. We were denied.

b. Cooktop Service Request: We were charged a $75 service call for a Repair My Appliance Inc serviceman to come out and fix our Bosch cooktop on 11/24/18. We were told by this gentleman that he needed to order parts and he left. After several days, we contacted an HSA representative to see what the status was on the parts. We were told that the cooktop could not be repaired because the parts were no longer made. We were asked to look at a GE replacement that they were sending us in an email. We approved the replacement and HSA sent the serviceman out from Reliable Appliance Installation to remove the Bosch and install the GE cooktop.

The Reliable serviceman did not even bring the GE into our home. He looked at our Bosch and told us he was unable to install the cooktop because we would need to hire a contractor to come out and remove and modify the drawers under the Bosch before he could install the GE. He was very rude and left having done nothing. We hired a contractor to deal with the drawers and then called HSA to send back a GE installer. They sent back the same guy from Reliable.

When he came out this second time, he told us that he once again could not install the GE because the flex gas line he brought with him was too short, it was the only one that they use, our gas line was not a hard gas line, and there was no shut off valve. He said we would have to contact a contractor/plumber to install a hard gas line and shut off valve. This time he left the GE cooktop in the box in the middle of the kitchen along with all drawers that the contractor had removed under the Bosch.

We again contacted HSA and then found a contractor/plumber as instructed. When this gentleman arrived, he said the GE installer had no idea what he was talking about and in fact, the GE installer had identified the wrong gas line. The gas line to the Bosch was not only hard lined it also had a shut off valve. The contractor/plumber installed the GE immediately and we were charged $250 for the installation and service call. Resolution: We are asking for the HSA service fee of $75 to be waived and for reimbursement of the $250 we paid to the contractor/plumber. We were denied.

5. We believe our current bill should be as follows: $450 – 2*$75 service fees - $150 dishwasher repair - $250 cooktop install = -$100. We are asking that the $450 bill be wiped clean and we will call it even. We have pictures of the issues and copies of the bills that we paid. We will not be recommending HSA American Home Shield to anyone!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I'm sorry I can't leave zero stars. Here's my experience with HSA: I realized I had an electrical problem, so I decided to put in a claim. I went to their website, where I couldn't submit a claim because their site said my policy didn't exist. Ok, I'll just call. After over 45 MINUTES, I finally got an operator. I let her know about my problem. "I'm sorry sir, I can't help you with that problem, but I'll make a note of it."

Anyway, after a few days it finally gets fixed, and I'm able to file a claim online. I'm contacted by an electric company who is only in my area 3 days a week, and who gives me a 5 HOUR window time (who do they think they are, a cable company??) in which they'll be there. So, I change my schedule to make sure I'm home for 5 HOURS. 3:00 comes. Then 4:00. Then 5:00. Then 6:00. 7:00. 8:00. That's 5 HOURS. No call. No show. I wish I was joking, but I'm not. This company is an absolute joke, and I imagine they won't be around long. Get your home warranty from LITERALLY anywhere else but here.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have tried to contact them repeatedly in order to demand a refund for their “coverage”. We had 2 unrelated clogs that a plumber “tried” unsuccessfully to fix by snaking them. I later received a phone call saying that the only way to fix the issue was to do extensive work that would not be covered and would run $1200 for the plumbing alone, not to mention the tile and plaster work that would have needed to be done afterwards. I called another plumber and within MINUTES he had fixed both problems. This cost $250. They will be receiving a certified letter, demanding both a refund for my coverage and reimbursement for the plumbing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have nothing good to say about HSA. Their contract is vague at best, so that when they send someone out they can easily deny service. It took hours to get ahold of someone on the phone and I still have not received a call back from their "manager". I had a very old toilet with a snapped off ball-cock that my husband tried to replace on his own with a new system.

Unfortunately he isn't handy and could not fix it on our own, which is when we called HSA. I had to call the contractor after 2 days without them calling me to schedule, and it wasn't until a week later that someone was scheduled to come out. He walked into the house, looked at the toilet for about 10 seconds and left saying he wouldn't cover it. I had to call another company to fix the toilet for over $1000. HSA's reason is that the toilet was not properly installed. Had I known that, I would have put everything back together. The contract is not clear and I didn't think that taking off some parts would result in it not being "properly installed". They will also not refund my $100 service fee for the total of one minute that the plumber was out at the house. I would NEVER pay for this warranty! Worst customer service ever!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We had purchased our house in December of 2015 and we were gifted the HSA with our new home. No problems the first year, we always paid our deductible before they came out and they came out to house a few times for plumbing, pilot light and sewer work. This past year (2018) we have had nothing but problems with our billing. We have always paid a month ahead and more than we needed to. The last couple months they have been billing us for what we don't owe and I have had to call every time.

Today I called because they say we owe X amount and they can't switch our billing till they get the X amount from us to switch it to monthly billing. We have always paid monthly and now we have problems with them. We will be disconnecting our service from them and the worst part is that the extra money we paid each month they did not credit our account at all, they pretty much pocketed that extra money. We technically don't owe anything to them, but they say we do. Very disappointed in this company and we have been with them for three years now. But not anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I called this HSA to look at my furnace because the pilot light was continually trying to light. They sent someone out who took only a few minutes to look at the furnace before saying that nothing was wrong and that it is normal for a pilot light to try to continually light. I had a second company (non-HSA contracted) come out for a second opinion. This technician stated that my heat exchanger was in very poor condition and that the pilot light should not be doing this. This second opinion recommended a new furnace due to safety concerns. I contacted HSA and told them about the discrepancy in reports. After being on the phone with them for over an hour, they disconnected the line. It seemed as if the customer service agent on the other line did not understand me and was trying to figure out which scripted response to give. I asked to talk to someone else, who then said she couldn't help so she would transfer me again. This is when the call ended.

I used the online chat feature and the rep was polite and helpful. He set up a contractor to come out for a second opinion (because they would not take the one from the company they are not contracted with). When the HSA second opinion person came out he found cracks in my heat exchanger, frays in whatever wires are in the furnace, and several issues with the pilot light. He legally had to turn off my furnace and recommend not using it before leaving my house for safety reasons. I called HSA back again. The lady on the phone was rude and not helpful. She did not seem concerned that at this point the furnace is a safety issue and was unwilling to work cooperatively. I am not only unhappy with the process of HSA, but also with the customer service that was offered.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I purchased my home in 2017 and the one year HSA warranty was my agent's gift to me. I first called for service last summer for my minor plumbing issue. I am convinced the plumber was on drugs. Thankfully, the dispatcher served as the problem solver and I accepted the bribe of not posting a scathing, albeit, truthful review in exchange for their heartfelt apologies. Thankfully, it wasn't until another year that I needed their service again, this time for a kitchen plumber. I called, paid the service fee and a plumber never arrived. I was erroneously billed twice for service never rendered. I called HSA, had the refund placed onto my credit account, a different plumber and different company (STAY AWAY FROM BEST WAY MECHANICAL) arrived, performed an amazing service and earned a lifelong customer. Later, I was sent to collections by HSA.

At this point, my level of passivity has escalated to a blood boiling high. After requesting validation, they updated my account and I called for a tech to service my downstairs heating unit. First, he didn't arrive within the promised window, so we had to reschedule. He arrived on time to troubleshoot and discover he didn't have the part available. After scheduling a third visit, I took off from work to ensure there would be no possibility of us missing each other, except this time he never arrived. He was scheduled to come between noon and 4:00pm. From 4:30pm until 11:00pm, the tracker would say he was 1 hour and 11 minutes away. I called and texted and never received a reply back, nor update. I caution everyone, do not waste your time with this inept poor excuse of a company!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

After coming back from vacation on Thanksgiving Eve found our hot water heater had busted. Ruining part of our kitchen floor. Not thinking because a hot water heater is a must have in winter time we went and bought another one because we didn't call HSA first and let them send a plumber out on Thanksgiving. Was told they would not refund my money. Lady on phone was very rude.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Please, save yourself time, money, and frustration. I have been a customer with this company for five years. The first 3 years were awesome. Great, prompt service. There must have been some kind of change at the corporate level, however, because the last 2 years have been horrible. They send a technician who has to order parts through HSA. The wait for parts is unreasonable -- several months to almost a year. The orders get placed on backorder and unless you constantly call, remind, and nag, the repair never gets completed. This happened with a dishwasher repair, a washing machine repair, and a refrigerator repair. Sorry, HSA, but three strikes and you're out. You need to get a handle on customer service instead of banking my money each month with no follow through. Sad.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Our furnace is out and they are currently doing system maintenance. Have been calling all day. Was told to call back later. It’s winter in Wisconsin and I have no furnace. They gladly took my payment yesterday but now when I need service no one can help me. All I’m told is "I’m sorry. Call back later." What are we supposed to do in an Emergency? I’ve given them thousands of dollars only to need assistance and told to try again later. Terrible business practice. You’d think they’d have a backup plan.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Called on morning of 10/4 due to ac not running. Was told they would research a vendor. After numerous calls Fri and Sat, was told they could not find a company and authorized me to call my own. Great tech came out and diagnosed the problem, called authorizations and gave then the estimate to repair or replace. He agreed to use their parts.

I was called an hour later by HSA authorizations department and was told his process were ridiculous. They offered me $1800 to go away or I could agree to let their network vendor that was miraculously just found do the work. I agreed to let HSA'S company handle it. THEY could not come out until Monday, and had to perform the same diagnostic all over again. They found the same issues and recommended replacement. This went back to HSA research.

On Wed I received an email saying "congrats" you have been approved for a replacement. Out will only cost you an additional $750. I Called HSA to ask why, and I was told due to the upgrade because they were replacing parts within my unit, read not a new unit. I told them that made no sense as I had an email stating they were replacing the unit with a lousy of charges, I what through then with the rep and asked why three were being added on. I was told then because the work cost $2200 to complete and these were outside of the contact.

I called twice Wed evening spending a total of 2 hours on hold waiting to speak to a supervisor to explain the charges. I was buying up on twice, and was told to call the service provider so they could explain why my HSA warranty did not cover their items (all conveniently round numbers). I was asked by customer service while waiting to speak to a supervisor why I was calling after they said to replace the unit. I told them because they want to charge me $750 for a $2200 repair. I would have been went ahead taking the $1800 to start.

Still no answers and I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for a supervisor to call me. Meanwhile no heat pump and temp is dropping tomorrow; here's hoping my young kids enjoy the camping experience. HSA homie you contacts and stop the runaround. Simple. I have had Choice Home Warranty for the past 4 years and they are great. HVAC failing in a home I bought 6 weeks ago is why I have you to behind with No? If you are considering HSA run far and run fast!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Our refrigerator door broke. Is it covered, why yes it is. Except the part is on back order for FOUR months. So what are we supposed to do without a refrigerator for FOUR months? HSS really does not care. Not their problem is what they say. They are operating within the guidelines of the contract... So can I speak to a supervisor..."No you may not, but you can call in (and sit on hold for 45 to 55 minutes) and open a request to have a supervisor contact you at a later date, sometime in the next seven to ten days." They really are the epitome of poor customer service.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am here to save yourself mental anguish as well as your time and money, six words or less or “don’t waste your time or money” or “don’t do it.” I can’t stress enough how accurate these reviews are, it’s been 9 days since my refrigerator has been out, and the strangest thing is the tech who answered the service call, stated upfront it would take 7 – 10 days. I was like there was NO way this company would be that insensitive, I was sadly mistaken, not only were they insensitive to me not having my refrigerator, they are uncaring, hardhearted, uncompassionate, unemotional, unmoved, callous and I bet the farm they didn’t have HSA home warranty. If this is how they treat paying customer this is one they have lost for good and I will tell any and everyone who would listen to run far and FAST at the sound of anyone who mentions having an HSA policy.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have to give at least one star so others can see this. DO NOT purchase a warranty with this company. I have been trying for 2 days and cannot contact anyone about my warranty. They will take your money and not provide any help. Have called 13 times in 2 days with no success. You can only talk to the new warranty people to sign up and make a payment. They will not answer questions about existing contracts. You're put on hold. I have waited for over 40 minutes 3 times without success. I just filed a complaint with the BBB. Please don't waste your money.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

HSA was absolutely terrible in just about every dealing we had with them. No return phone calls half the time, we were constantly chasing them. We had a dishwasher serviced and it took four months to get it looked at and even after the repair was done, it failed again! No recourse or followups after trying to get a refrigerator worked on as well. Repair never happened. One year has passed and we get emails and phone calls asking us to renew. Ha! The nerve of their people. They ignore us and put us off as much as they could and then want our money again. A real slap in the face if you ask me. Zero star rating if I could. Avoid this company at all cost.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I notified the company of an emergency situation, and they sent a provider out to assess the situation. I was told an expensive part was needed, but that the contractor had to order it through HSA and that it would take at least a week to get the part and schedule the repair. Even though the contracted vendor could do it same day, the company refused to hear our requests. THE REPRESENTATIVE ACTUALLY SAID, “I have to get permission to transfer you to a supervisor.” She came back and said, “I did not get permission...” She ended the call. Isn’t it nice that they can treat paying customers with contracts this way? I’m actually going to call some attorneys in Memphis where they’re located and start legal action. They acknowledge I’m experiencing an emergency, but then just shrug it off like it’s nothing. This was the second year of using this company, but it’s by far the last.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Have nothing but terrible things to say about this warranty company. You think you pay for something to protect you from unexpected costs but they try to weasel their way out of any responsibility and are rude to you on top of that. Make you wait forever to have anyone even come out to assess the issue. I can say with good confidence they work with their own vendors to frame the issue in a way that they are no longer responsible for helping you "per the contract" Everything is "per the contract". Try to have a heart and work with people rather than tricking those into thinking they're purchasing something that can possible help them with the unexpected.

Original review: July 30, 2018

When we purchased our home it came with an HSA Home Warranty. HSA has now merged with American Home Shield. In the course of 10 months we have had several repair requests. Two repairs have been easy of the 6 repair requests. For those problems I have spent on average 30 min-7 hours each time on phone calls alone to get problems fixed. We start booking online but often site does not work. Today tried to book repair for AC- that took 2 hours. Site didn't work. Had to reset PW. Then the first three companies they wanted to send to repair had horrible reviews so we had to cancel the request and re-book hoping for a vendor with better reviews. I've learned the hard way to check reviews on the companies that they send.

To say we've had problems would be the understatement of the year. The worst repair/issue started with a service request to get our non working cook top repaired. HSA sent a local repair company Amtec Services- they sent a man out that was totally unprofessional. He had no business card, no marking for business on car, no uniform, no sales slip. He left. Said it would be a few days for a part. A full week passed and I still have a non-working stove. Many, many calls to HSA and Amtec asking about why it's taking so long and LOTS of different stories- finally after two weeks on a NON working stove and take out/microwave meals the repair guys come back. Still rude, no business cards etc. They leave dirt all over but fixed my Jenn-Air cooktop.

After they leave I notice a chip in the glass that was not present before. They had totally removed the glass and stood it vertically on my stone floor. I'm sure this is how it chipped. I called HSA to ask they fix the chip. They tell me to contact the vendor Amtech which I do. The same tech comes out and says he didn't do it. As a homeowner I would never guess to the need to document the condition of an appliance before a repair. Now (Am**TECH) won't return calls. After MANY, many calls to HSA/AHS they say it's not their problem. I have to get the company they contracted to fix the chip they caused. The A...TECH won't call me back (I've been blackmailed to remove their name). HSA does not have a way to email or send a photo or formal complaint about my concerns. The only option is to call or chat (chat option is impossible to find).

I have found BBB ratings now for the company they sent of an F and horrible reviews all over the internet. HSA will not help. They won't even provide the business address or owners actual name. This is scary- What if we were robbed or worse? The only info HSA/American Home Shield will share is the first name of the owner of the business. Be very careful letting companies in that home warranty sends. I ended up writing several horrible reviews of the company (AM**tech) on BBB, Google, Yelp etc. Only after the bad reviews did they agree to fix what the broke only on the condition that I removed the poor reviews.

Yep. The company blackmailed me... HSA does research companies well. If there is a problem and they damage something homeowners have little recourse... Lesson learned the hard way. We've also had problems with them billing for repairs that we paid for. For 9 months we kept getting a bill for a repair that we paid for. I called many times and was told yes it's ok. Only to get an email bill or mailed bill. This was in spite of sending copies of the paid bill, copy of my credit call bill showing the payment. And the vendor calling HSA saying they were paid. They are a nightmare in every aspect! I would also stay away from HSA/American Home Shield as well.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Just received the HSA Warranty for our home we purchased sixty days ago. Seems the roof has a leak after the first rain. 1st Call: Called HSA Home Warranty and went thru their system noting that we are an existing customer. Twenty five minutes on hold and no one answered. 2nd Call: Called a different number listed on our policy, was on hold for 20 minutes and still no one answered. 3rd Call: Called first number and pressed button for 'New Business'. Brittney answered the phone on the first ring. When I told her I needed to see about the roof leak she transferred me and I have now been on hold for 18 minutes and still no one has answered. Not sure how a person is able to file a claim or even find out what their coverage is if no one answers the phone.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I renewed my warranty on my new home for piece of mind. I only needed to have 1 service call for the first year for my AC. Guy said all I need was to add some Freon. Great! So when it came time to renew my plan I did so and was offered no options just renewal instructions. Now my AC goes out and the tech said it should have definitely been replaced last year instead of "topped off" which I suspect HSA told them to do. We were told that because we didn't have some 7 star upgrade plan that we are responsible for a large portion of the new AC unit. What 7 star plan? These options were never offered/discussed with us? I have had to call a few times to make sure of the date of auto draft and each time I get a different answer. I am currently on hold with them and have been for a while. I do not recommend this company at all.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Had Home Security America company for over 2 years and then my water heater broke. I had to pay $50 for the company to come and check it, to see if the damage was covered by the insurance. They came, said that it was an item usually covered by their plan, BUT that because the water heater had been IMPROPERLY INSTALLED by whoever installed it 8 years before, the Company WOULD NOT pay one dime towards a new one. Very convenient for the company. I dropped it the next day. Never again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

HSA was purchased when I bought my home in July 2017, it was around $500 (septic and well added). First of all, you can't talk to a live person on the phone unless you want to wait over an hour each time. Then if you finally get someone on the phone after an hour, the calls gets dropped and no one will call you back. If you do chat on website it's a little faster but annoying as you have to type out all the questions and time consuming. I submitted one claim on a dishwasher that was more than 18 years old. It was rusted and really needed to be replaced. The contractor said he could fix the issue with it not working and the part and bill would be $191, so I could have him fix a rusted out dishwasher (part only not the rust) to make it run (for how long??) or HSA would give me a cash out offer of $191 to replace it.

Don't know if you had to replace a dishwasher lately, but average was around $400. HSA should have figured in a replacement cost for it, but didn't. So out $90 service fee and $294 I paid out of pocket for dishwasher that was $485. Then my boiler system to heat the house stopped working (winter/single digits and have a 2 year old). I understand HSA hires contractors and we have to go off their schedules, but this was an emergency with freezing temps. HSA would not submit it as an emergency and took contractor 2 days to come out. Then find out he is not licensed to work on boiler systems, so I had to contact HSA again and have them send out a different contractor, took another 2 days. Had to use space heaters all around home (which is fire hazard to keep from pipes and ourselves from freezing).

Was told by HSA only had to pay the $90 service charge one time, but they actually charged me twice and my account showed past due for 6 months and it wasn't. Contractor that came out was great and had problems with the unit and set up (radiate floors weren't set up correctly by original homeowner). It took the contractor over a month to get it right but again, the contractor was great and went out of their way to fix this. When all said and done, HSA always claims we will fix or replace it. However, that is another joke as they don't tell you in fine print that they will only replace up to $1500 total for the whole policy, once that is gone the policy will terminate. So my heating unit was around $5000k and HSA only paid $1309 (minus the $191 I already used) and considered my policy completed. So after $180 in service fees and the extra $3500k+ I paid out of pocket, really wasn't worth the $500 for the policy.

Original review: May 16, 2018

AC had been repaired once by HSA contractor and then it went out again... This time for good. Took HSA more than two weeks to ship the part to the contractor. What happened to overnight shipping? Meanwhile, I had my 80+ year old parents visiting with temps well into the 90s outside... Inside even hotter. I begged them to expedite the part shipment so we could get the AC back up and running. They said "sorry. There's nothing we can do."

This is 2018. As someone who has worked with the logistics and shipping industry, it's just not credible to say it takes two weeks to ship a part. I went out and hired a reputable AC company to install a new air conditioner. I was able to get that done before the HSA contractor called to tell me the part had arrive. Ridiculous. HSA preys on consumers and does whatever it can to take shortcuts so it doesn't have to make good on the warranty policy. Avoid this company at all costs and just go online to look at other reviews. There has been nothing positive written about this company. And for good reason.

Original review: April 25, 2018

We've used them since we bought our house in 2013. Every year we renew and every year we have an issue or three. They've always handled everything very well and normally in a fairly timely fashion. They can't control other company's schedules. The only complaints we've had is the price has gone up a LOT. & Our AC is 20 yrs old this yr. 2 yrs ago a major component went out. Instead of replacing this 20 yr old unit as was recommended, they spend over 2 weeks hunting down this hard to find, expensive part to repair it. I know that in the long run replacing it back then would have been the less expensive route.

Original review: March 15, 2018

We received this home warranty when we purchased our house. PLEASE read the entire review. On 2-26-2018 I called HSA to put a work order in for a new pressure tank, as ours had developed a leak and was no longer working. I spoke with "Sharon". Told her on multiple occasions during our conversation that the problem was the pressure tank, she said, "Ok I'll put in a work order," which she did. The next day I get a call from the plumbing company, stating they had a guy in the area and could come out that morning. When the plumber arrived he too determined that the pressure tank was bad. It took approximately 2 hours to replace and test it. All was good... or so I thought.

When he called into HSA to tell them what he had done and that he was done with the job. He was told by HSA that the pressure tank was not covered under our contract. He came back into my house to tell me he had bad news, and explained what they had told him. He had the HSA employee on hold while telling me the bad news. He then let me speak to them, "Kim" and I asked why I wasn't told that the item in question wasn't covered at the time of placing the work order phone call. Kim apologized and said their employee must have misunderstood what I was asking to be fixed. I told her that was NOT the case and that I had expressed what needed to be fixed numerous times during our conversation. Kim told me that they would pull the call (takes 7-10 biz days) and get back to me.

I called back on 3-6-2018, spoke with Shanikwa, only to be told the call was never pulled. She once again requested it be pulled and that they would get back to me. I called back 3-9-2018, and at first spoke with Hoagan. And when I told him I had a complaint, and that I wanted to speak to his super... my call was dropped!!! I called back and spoke with Cindy this time. Once again I was told the call had not been pulled yet, but was asked to at least give them the 7-10 biz days to do a follow up. I called back on 3-14-2018, and spoke to Chris. After explaining again the reason for my phone call. I was told they STILL hadn't pulled the call for reviewing!!! I asked to speak to a supervisor. Chris put me on hold and when he returned stated that he reached out to his supervisor, explained the situation and that she (Jessica) would pull the call and call me back after 2 hours. She never called back!!!

I called back 3-15-2018, and spoke with Brittany. She informed me the called hadn't been pulled. So I asked to speak with a supervisor, only to be told that there wasn't one on duty at the time. And the only way that she could get in touch with them was to use messenger!!! Once again the request to have the call pulled paperwork was submitted. This has been my nightmare thus far. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Tuesday 3/6/18 around 8 AM - Power goes out to some of our upstairs bedrooms and bathroom. I go and look at the breaker box, but nothing is tripped. I reset all the breakers and the main just to be sure after getting home from work but no change. I also checked all of the GFCI outlets and reset them in case but no effect. We were set to have a snow storm Wednesday so we waited to call an electrician till Thursday. In the meantime, someone recommended we go through our home warranty.

Thursday 3/8/18 - around 8 AM - My wife calls HSA. They say someone will contact us within 24 hours from the company and that we only owe $100 service fee. Friday 3/9/18 - around 6:30 PM - M PREISING ELECTRICAL LLC finally calls us to schedule a Monday morning appointment. Not ideal but at this point we figure at least it will get fixed on Monday.

Monday 3/12/18 - Electrician comes out and spends over three hours in our house (not quite sure doing what) and comes to the conclusion that there is a break "somewhere" (obviously...) and that he will have to open the walls to find it. He also told me the junction box and the circuit in the box it was on. Well, he was wrong on the circuit it was on, and I could clearly see he didn't even check every outlet on the circuit due to paint still being on the boxes when I ended up removing a few.

He can't take down walls without HSA's approval so he has to contact them before moving forward. Two hours after he left, HSA calls me saying our claim is DENIED due to the electrician saying he "recommends" that we have three new breakers installed and that this now falls under an "inadequacy" and this is not covered by our contract. After an hour on the phone with HSA, all I was able to do was schedule a second opinion with another low rated company and they can't come out until 3/14.

The problem with this "inadequacy" claim is that we have never blown this breaker, or had any issues with power loss or inadequate power to devices on those outlets. If this was due to true inadequacy we would have had issues over the past six months of living there. On top of that, at the time of the issue occurring, we didn't even have much plugged onto that circuit, I doubt it was drawing anywhere near the 16 AMPS recommended as max on a 20 AMP circuit. Also, three new breakers would essentially be a MAX of 2 outlets per box, which is ridiculous and unnecessary. HSA wanted to hear none of this and just wants to blindly shoot down a claim to save money. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR WARRANTY!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I made a service request for an electrical issue. After 1 month I have yet to see an electrician provided. The electrician never responds, but the home warranty won't give me another electrician. Still they have charged me a $100 service fee. Home warranty can only be contacted by phone which makes me waste extra time to contact them, then they contact the electrician and circle continues. It's been a useless waste of my time.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We received this home warranty when we purchased our home. When the first year was over we were given an option to extend the warranty. I almost didn't do it because of negative reviews but so happy I did because about a month after renewing our furnace broke. HSA was quick to respond and got us a new furnace within 2 days. It was a great experience and all of the customer service people were friendly and helpful! I definitely recommend.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I setup my service request online last Thursday. On that Friday, I never received a call regarding my request. So I called the contractor that HSA emailed me. That person told me he never received the service request. He then called me 5 hours later telling me he was in a bad area and couldn't check his emails but finally got and wanted to come the next morning. I let him know that I had a funeral that morning, but would be home by the afternoon. He says to me "That's not good cause I promised my best friend I'd help him barbecue, so maybe you should just give me a call and see if I'm available or not". WHAT!!! I immediately called HSA, sat on hold for 45 minutes, complained about that contractor. So they set me up with another contractor. I thought it was all going well. That Saturday I was setup for a 2-4 time frame, only for no one to EVER show up!!

I called the number given and was told they would look into it and give me a callback. NO ONE EVER CALLED BACK! So I called back on Sunday, only to get an answer on MONDAY. The guy came out on Monday and told me about the car accident he had on Saturday, and that's why he couldn't come. I thought all was well until today is Thursday and I STILL HAVE NO HEAT!! He told me I needed a part. I never got a call back telling me the part was ready or not. So I just called and was told he was on the way picking up parts now, but they have people that have been waiting since last week!! So maybe I'll get my part tomorrow, or Saturday or who knows?!? It's cold here, and I can't keep doing this!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

HSA takes months to get repairs done in most cases. Trying to contact customer service is always a 30 minute hold and dropped calls. They also continuously fraudulently charge for extra service calls.

Home Security America Company Information