1.2/5 (249 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About HSA Home Warranty

Home Security America, commonly known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Get a quote online or over the phone to see what the company covers, what riders or add-ons are available and how much a contract costs. HSA serves 25 states, and its customer service line is open 24/7.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Easy quote process
    • Helpful online resources
    • Affordable options

Cons

• Limited availability

Bottom Line

HSA's home warranty options are straightforward. If you're interested, first make sure it operates in your state, then decide if HSA's coverage and pricing work for you.

Top HSA Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We bought our home almost 10 yrs ago in an area we knew very little about. The previous owner added HSA home warranty. ... They have the contractors who are very dependable and on...

Verified

We received this home warranty when we purchased our home. When the first year was over we were given an option to extend. ...about a month after renewing our furnace broke. HSA ...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Home Security America?

Home Security America, also known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Home warranties are service contracts that cover the repair costs for home appliances and systems when they break down.

HSA’s service process is simple:

1. The customer places a service request online or calls the 24/7 customer service line.
    2. HSA assigns a local service professional to the job.
    3. The service professional contacts the customer to schedule an appointment.
    4. The service professional repairs or replaces the broken system or appliance, and HSA takes care of the bill. The customer pays a service call fee.

Home Security America serves the following states: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Home Security America coverage

Coverage varies by state, but our sample quote for a one-year plan on a home in Illinois covered the following:

Plumbing
    • Water heaters and instant hot water dispensers
    • Plumbing parts and primary sump pumps
    • Routing of drain line stoppages
    • Water, gas, drain and waste lines
    • Polybutylene leaks
    • Toilet tanks, bowls and wax ring seals
    • Whirlpool bathtubs
    • Water heater sediment removal
    Heating and air conditioning
    • Central heat
    • Central air, heat pumps
    • Thermostats
    • Ductwork
    • Ceiling fans
    • Interior attic and exhaust fans
    • Central vacuums
    Appliances
    • Ovens, stovetops and ranges
    • Built-in microwave ovens
    • Trash compactors, dishwashers and garbage disposals
    • Garage door openers
    • Burglar alarms
    • Fire alarms
    • Doorbell systems
    Miscellaneous
    • Rekeying (up to six keyholes and four identical keys)
    • Failures due to lack of maintenance
    • Failures due to rust and corrosion

Home Security America cost

HSA home warranty costs vary widely. Annual premiums for standard plans range from $195 to $619. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, falls between $75 and $100. Our quote for a sample home in Illinois was $505 for one year and $100 per service call.

Our sample plan in Illinois also listed 11 potential coverage add-ons:

• Pool and hot tub combination: $175
    • Water softener: $40
    • 7 Star Upgrade (for more coverage): $149

Home Security America FAQ

Does HSA Home Warranty require home inspections?
    No, you can purchase a home warranty from HSA without a home inspection.
    Are HSA home warranties transferable?
    Yes. If you sell your home while it’s still under HSA warranty, coverage transfers to the new owner. You just need to contact HSA to make sure everything transfers correctly.
    Is HSA’s customer service available 24/7?
    Yes, you can contact HSA’s customer service at any time of day.
    Does HSA choose the service contractor?
    Yes, HSA chooses the contractor, who then sets up an appointment with the customer needing service.

Is Home Security America worth it?

Home Security America might be worth it for consumers looking to protect their home’s appliances and systems. Prices in some areas are steep, but there are affordable options, too. If HSA doesn’t provide coverage in your state or its prices are too high for your budget, we recommend comparing quotes from other highly rated home warranty companies.

HSA Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSA Home Warranty?

Original review: April 29, 2022

This HSA warranty is absolutely pointless. I had mice living in my refrigerator and had to replace it and the warranty did not apply nor aid in my endeavors. My water heater and boiler is 25+ years old not hot and has leaked to a point that the entire sheetrock needs to be replaced in addition to the heating units. Yet this HSA warranty will not fund the minimal $500 of its value as I conduct all this work. I have now paid an additional $100 to get a tech out only to find out I am not covered for anything through this HSA warranty. HSA is a scam.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Customer service outsourced to agents with no authority. Only provides 1 awful contractor for EVERYTHING! 2 90yr old men that did horrible work! Refuse to provide another contractor! I was never allowed to speak with a supervisor! I refused to use the same contractor again and so I was just ignored!! Do not choose this warranty!! Will also be reporting to BBB!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

When we bought our house over 3 years ago and the Realtor sold us this home warranty. We have renewed it every year for around $1300 a year. Our Dishwasher stopped working in August and we turned in a claim. They sent a repair man out and the repair man said it was the motherboard, he ordered the parts and came back to fix it the following week. The dishwasher worked for 2 weeks and did the same thing where it was making noise then just stopped working again. HSA sent the same repair man out and he said he doesn't know what is wrong with it and marked it unrepairable.

HSA then told us that we must have had a power surge and denied the claim. We told them that there was no way we had a power surge 2 times and only the dishwasher was affected and they said that it couldn't be anything else. We argued with them but they would not approve the claim for a new one. We canceled the contract with them and bought a new dishwasher. The installer tested the electric and said the problem was not a power surge. So basically we paid $1300 every year for 3 years and that warranty never covered anything. So over 3 years we paid HSA $3900 and they couldn't even replace a $1000 dishwasher. Shame on you HSA Home Warranty for taking advantage of your customers!!! Shame on YOU!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

My washing machine broke two and a half months ago and since I pay extra for washer/dryer maintenance, I wasn't worried. However, HSA really couldn't be handling this any more poorly. They initially sent out one contractor who assessed the problem and requested parts. It seems HSA didn't want to pay for what was needed, so they canceled the first contractor and hired a second, requiring me to take a second day off of work to meet them during business hours. This company simply asked me what the first company said and didn't even look at my machine. They also requested that parts were ordered.

Fast forward 6 weeks and no one - no the contractor, not HSA, not eBay where the parts were ordered from - knows where these parts are. I call HSA, get put on hold for over an hour only to be told they have no information and will look into it and to call them back in 24-48 hours. I do so, only to be told the exact same thing. This has gone on for another month now, calling every other day and wasting over an hour every time. I have requested that they simply reorder the part, cash me out for the cost of the part, hire an additional contractor, ANYTHING. They are simply refusing to be helpful. For $550/year, I absolutely expect that the problem be resolved in a more reasonable timeframe. I wish I had never bought the warranty - it would have been faster to order the parts and learn to install them myself. Probably cheaper too.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

My heating system stopped working in one zone. Called them on Sunday night. It was -5F in my city. They could not get someone out for 3 days. And wouldn’t let me call someone on my own for 3 days. Which led to frozen pipes. They finally let me call a non contracted company out and talked to the company about the repairs that needed to be done. I paid for everything upfront. Now they are denying any coverage on the repairs, stating I didn’t have the company call them, which is not true! HSA won’t call me back or talk to me about this. I have proof it was approved and an obvious witness, the company person themselves. Stay far away from this company. Bad news.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I've not had a working refrigerator since april..they are supposed to replace it but I've called so many times and they keep promising it will happen and it never does.. Worst warranty company ever! If I don't get an attorney or just buy a new one myself...I'm sure I'll never get a new refrigerator from them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

Terrible company with horrendous customer service. I submit a work request for my boiler (which is covered), they couldn’t find a contractor, they cancel the work request, - without ever telling me. This happened multiple times. I have now spent two full days on the phone with agents who don’t speak English nor do they have the expertise to help. I’ve been without heat for 48 hours and my house is in the low 40s. All the while they are taking their sweet time deciding what they want and don’t want to cover. They told me to find my own contractor since they couldn’t find one and when I finally got someone out here, they said they wouldn’t cover it. Even though it was a boiler-related problem. Oh, and they left me with a $100 charge that an agent said I would NOT receive. No work done, they didn’t pay a penny AND I got charged a fee. DO NOT USE HSA Warranty.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I been with this company 2 years, 1 year I didn't pay, the salers paid my 1st year then 2nd year I paid. 1st I wasn't going to renew my contract with them because their customer service is horrible. The price was $799 and they said they would take $ 100 off if I continued.... Well when I call and go through 10 minutes of verifying my name and address, phone # and email, they say they don't have it. Then here recently I requested services for my sinks, they gave me Tom Melton Plumbing, I called company and they couldn't work with my schedule and they acted they didn't even care so I canceled them.

Called HSA told them to give me someone else and why 3x, they still keep giving me the same person but gladly took my $75 service charge. Called 3x no change, requested management to call back and haven't got a call back yet! I pay all this money to this company and it's a headache every time, customer service is horrible, English is never clear and they always seem to not be able to transfer me.... Looking for a different home warranty company because they are horrible

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I've been a member of HSA warranty for over 6 years. Over that time, they were able to address a handful of small issues ranging from electricity, garage doors, etc. However, it wasn't until recently where my experience have taken a hit. First issue occurred 8/6/2021 when I requested service for a potential leaky pipe. Long story short, they dispatched a contractor to the site, the contractor informed me later that the part wasn't covered. However, I also found out that the contractor caused additional damage that caused the irrigation system to leak overnight and throughout the next day.

There was many finger pointing between the contractor and home warranty and neither wanted to address the issue. I eventually went on my own to find another contractor to resolve the issue. On HSA side, their phone representatives would put me on hold endlessly. One time I was hoping to speak with their agent, only to find out I was transferred directly to the contractor who they hired.

The second unfortunate experience was related to a kitchen sink leak. They dispatched their contractor who spent less than 5 minutes to identify that the part is likely not covered due to it being a leaky water filter and was told I would be reached. No one ever reached out to me, fortunately, I found someone to fix the issue which was simply tightening up a loose valve. Since both of my last two requests weren't covered, I contacted them to reimburse me for the $75 per request fee. In the past, I had no trouble receiving this reimbursement. However, this time I was told I would not be able to get reimbursed. After requesting to cancel my subscription, were they then able to agree to the reimbursement. By that time I was fed up and ultimately decided to cancel my service. I truly hope they improve their customer service, find more reputable contractors, and streamline their customer agent support.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Money was removed from account and I do not have a home warranty with this company. I called the number on the website and I was transferred to India. Then back and forth for 2 hours and getting nowhere. Placed on hold forever only to be transferred or called back to be transferred again. What kind of highway robbery is this, I don't know how they got my info but I have contacted my bank to stop all future transactions with this company.

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

HSA Home Warranty Company Information