Protect What Matters Most

2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Home Security America, commonly known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Get a quote online or over the phone to see what the company covers, what riders or add-ons are available and how much a contract costs. HSA serves 25 states, and its customer service line is open 24/7.

BOTTOM LINE

HSA's home warranty options are straightforward. If you're interested, first make sure it operates in your state, then decide if HSA's coverage and pricing work for you.

PROS

• Easy quote process
    • Helpful online resources
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Home Security America Reviews

We bought our home almost 10 yrs ago in an area we knew very little about. The previous owner added HSA home warranty. ... They have the contractors who are very dependable and on time. HSA has saved us so much time and aggravation, of trying to find reliable and dependable contractors.

We received this home warranty when we purchased our home. When the first year was over we were given an option to extend. ...about a month after renewing our furnace broke. HSA was quick to respond and got us a new furnace within 2 days. It was a great experience. ... I definitely recommend.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Home Security America?

Home Security America, also known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Home warranties are service contracts that cover the repair costs for home appliances and systems when they break down.

HSA’s service process is simple:

1. The customer places a service request online or calls the 24/7 customer service line.
      2. HSA assigns a local service professional to the job.
      3. The service professional contacts the customer to schedule an appointment.
      4. The service professional repairs or replaces the broken system or appliance, and HSA takes care of the bill. The customer pays a service call fee.

Home Security America serves the following states: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Home Security America coverage

Coverage varies by state, but our sample quote for a one-year plan on a home in Illinois covered the following:

Plumbing
      • Water heaters and instant hot water dispensers
      • Plumbing parts and primary sump pumps
      • Routing of drain line stoppages
      • Water, gas, drain and waste lines
      • Polybutylene leaks
      • Toilet tanks, bowls and wax ring seals
      • Whirlpool bathtubs
      • Water heater sediment removal
      Heating and air conditioning
      • Central heat
      • Central air, heat pumps
      • Thermostats
      • Ductwork
      • Ceiling fans
      • Interior attic and exhaust fans
      • Central vacuums
      Appliances
      • Ovens, stovetops and ranges
      • Built-in microwave ovens
      • Trash compactors, dishwashers and garbage disposals
      • Garage door openers
      • Burglar alarms
      • Fire alarms
      • Doorbell systems
      Miscellaneous
      • Rekeying (up to six keyholes and four identical keys)
      • Failures due to lack of maintenance
      • Failures due to rust and corrosion

Home Security America cost

HSA home warranty costs vary widely. Annual premiums for standard plans range from $195 to $619. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, falls between $75 and $100. Our quote for a sample home in Illinois was $505 for one year and $100 per service call.

Our sample plan in Illinois also listed 11 potential coverage add-ons:

• Pool and hot tub combination: $175
      • Water softener: $40
      • 7 Star Upgrade (for more coverage): $149

Home Security America FAQ

Does HSA Home Warranty require home inspections?
      No, you can purchase a home warranty from HSA without a home inspection.
      Are HSA home warranties transferable?
      Yes. If you sell your home while it’s still under HSA warranty, coverage transfers to the new owner. You just need to contact HSA to make sure everything transfers correctly.
      Is HSA’s customer service available 24/7?
      Yes, you can contact HSA’s customer service at any time of day.
      Does HSA choose the service contractor?
      Yes, HSA chooses the contractor, who then sets up an appointment with the customer needing service.

Is Home Security America worth it?

Home Security America might be worth it for consumers looking to protect their home’s appliances and systems. Prices in some areas are steep, but there are affordable options, too. If HSA doesn’t provide coverage in your state or its prices are too high for your budget, we recommend comparing quotes from other highly rated home warranty companies.

Home Security America Reviews

Original review: March 4, 2020

Same as everyone else. We have been without a refrigerator for TWO MONTHS. We are a family of 5, with a newborn baby. Unfortunately the people we bought our home from fell for the HSA scam, and we were hopeful that we would be able to get some results from them when our refrigerator tanked. The contractors have done the same (intense and inconvenient) job three times, and nothing has been fixed. HSA refuses to replace the unit, and says that they need to continue to try to fix it until it is deemed unfixable.. which will be never. I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy dealing with these people, please do not do the same!

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I purchased a home in September with a home warranty thorough HSA. In January the dishwasher stopped working, so I put in a service request with HSA. I was given a 4 hour time slot for the service request. The technician then came to my house an hour earlier than the 4 hour window that HSA gave me so no one was home to let the technician in. I called HSA and was told that it was my fault for not being home during that time and would need to submit another $75 request with HSA to have my dishwasher serviced. There was even a point where the HSA person tried telling me I had the technicians time wrong and it was my fault for not being home during my allotted time slot (while I had my confirmation email with the time slot time stamped in front of me during our call).

Eventually I got another technician scheduled to come out to look at the dishwasher. He told me the dishwasher needed a new part and he’d have it mailed to my house and be back to install It. I received the part in the mail but never received further communication from the technician or HSA. I received an email from HSA letting me know my service had been completed.

I emailed them back to let them know that the service had not been completed, as I had an uninstalled dishwasher part currently sitting next to my broken dishwasher. No response from HSA so I called for the first time to follow up. I was told I needed to call the technician directly and was given a number to call. It was a spam number offering me promotions to cruises and car services. I called HSA back again after and received a different person in the call center. This person told me they reached out to the technician and I would be receiving a phone call from the technician directly within the next 24-36 hours.

After 48 hours of no call from a technician I called again. This time, the person on the call center told me she needed her manager to open me a new ticket for my request. She told me she was working with the manager to get a technician out to my house that day so he would fix the dishwasher. The call center person told me this would take some time but she would call me back that day to fix the dishwasher. This was two days ago. I haven’t received any communication from HSA or a technician since. Long story short, it’s now nearly March and I still don’t have a working dishwasher. I’m most likely going to need to just purchase a new dishwasher because I am out of ideas for getting HSA to service my request. Do not purchase this warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I purchased this home warranty when I purchased my new home two months ago. I was informed they were super helpful, and boy was I told wrong. They charge $100 nonrefundable service fee just to have a technician come out to your home. I was having plumbing issues, and they sent out a plumber who was unable to assist me. I called and asked if they could send out another plumber and I was informed it would be another hundred dollar service fee. I told them the plumber they sent arrived at my house and immediately told me he could not help me and left, and they still did not care and said it would be another hundred dollar charge.

I asked if I could receive a refund since no work was done on my home and I still had the same issues I called about. I was informed the service fee is nonrefundable and they are not able to assist me in any way. They then proceeded to ask if I would like to open another ticket. I informed them that they had the worst customer service I have ever seen and told them they had just lost a customer. I would not recommend this warranty or company to my worst enemy!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Wish I could give negative stars! Bought this warranty when I purchased my new home a few months ago. Paid $80 for fridge service call. Ace appliance was sent, ordered part, came back installed. Problem persisted. They were no show for next scheduled visit. HSA said if I want different co. I’d have to pay another $75. I refused and after a lot of fussing and sitting on hold, they finally gave another company, which never called to schedule. This company is based in New Jersey, I live in Pittsburgh PA.

After 3 hours on the phone they have scheduled again, with the NJ co, that apparently does work out of Pittsburgh but will not give you any contact number other than the NJ number. My fridge has been running at 49-52 degrees for 5 weeks now. Customer service not in the U.S. and no one can provide any phone number to speak to any type of supervisor above the “escalation “ dept at the 800#. I will be on a mission to find a higher supervisor and talk to my real estate agent to convince them to NOT offer this home warranty to any of their future customers! This has been extremely frustrating!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I am so stressed and fed up with HSA and the contractors they assigned us. I put in a claim on July 15, 2019 to have my pool filter fixed. The first contractor they send came after they stood us up on one appointment. They said the motor needs replaced. Two weeks later, I get a call that the guy that looked at our pool left suddenly and was asked to text a picture of the filter so that they can order the parts. Well, a week goes by, nothing. So I text the guy because for some reason they dont have a voicemail set up for their business. He tells me he is waiting for the parts. Well another week goes by, then another. I text again and he tells me the same story.

I call HSA to see what is going on. Turns out the contractor never submitted a work order for the parts. Took me several more calls to finally get me another contractor. I finally get one. He is all nice on the phone, assuring me it will get done. Three weeks later to the day, nothing. I hear nothing from him. I keep calling HSA, where they assure me something will be done, and nothing. I am so fed up. It's been Three Months and nothing fixed and I need to close my pool before it gets colder out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!! I have a leak in my bathtub going to the kitchen they state that they cannot cover because there's bathtub obstructing them to get to the plumbing... YES, they cannot fix a plumbing issue because there's "an obstruction" on the way. They say it like plumbing is exposed all over the house

and walls cabinets or bathtub would never be an obstruction... To add more they charged $75 copay for the appointment to tell me that they can't fix and won't be covered! They said that the $75 is to cover the diagnostic, this is absolutely ridiculous! BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THIS HOME WARRANTY COMPANY, they write their policy in a way that is almost impossible for them to cover anything, always exceptions on the contract that makes them denying coverage and still charging you the copay for the appointment. COMPLETELY WORTHLESS!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I read a review by "BOB" the Greensburg service provider & it made me extremely upset. Some of what he said is true. You should know what your policy does/does not cover. HOWEVER, during the home buying process - THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. We did not receive our actual policy contract until WEEKS after the close of the home. It's not your policy UNTIL it is paid for & you buy the house, so you dont receive the policy until AFTER that time. All you get is the flowery BROCHURE that assures you everything's covered. And another good point for "Bob" the expert, is: the warranty is not something the buyer is shopping around for to meet their needs. It's portrayed as a benefit to purchasing the particular property in that it will guaranty peace of mind should any issues arise. I didnt pick it myself & fail to read the fine print as "Bob" assumes.

During the negotiation process of the purchase of our home, the agent of the sellers & the sellers themselves assured us that issues we brought up when making the case for our lower than asking offer were "non-issues" since they were offering the home "warranty" & these concerns could easily by covered by that. There was no way that the sellers (or us the buyers) could validate those claims without a policy contract in hand. The brochure that is presented during the home buying process gives the illusion that most everything could be covered. It is not until you receive an actual policy contract (which is not until after the sale) that you can examine the lengthy exclusion clauses. Skip to the bottom to read my conclusions & skip over my personal experiences.

Now my personal experience: I've called HSA 3 times now for separate service issues upon purchase of a home that came with the "warranty". ALL 3 times the service providers who came to the home, COMPLAINED to me personally that they hate working for HSA & that customer reps are hard to deal with as they don't speak fluent English. This is true. My husband is of foreign descent & I am familiar with accents etc. I can BARELY make out what the reps are saying over the phone & they read from customer service prompts constantly instead of having a real conversation with you.

For the $75 that I paid EACH time I have requested service, I dont feel I got my money's worth. $75 for (2) working keys for the front door that was a Smartlock & rekeyed in 30 seconds? $75 for the AC serviceman to tell me he could top off the freon for the AC but the unit is old garbage that is leaking back out, but dont bother to try to get HSA to credit you for a replacement because (in his experience) THEY WILL NOT. He said they will just keep finding other service people to say it's still ok (second opinions he called it) even if he recommends replacement. (This AC unit is costing us over $250 a month in electric BTW.)

I'm still waiting (almost 6 wks now) for a service company to come fix my gas range where NONE of the burners can be adjusted from medium heat. Ever try to boil water or cook a meal merely on MEDIUM heat? Takes FOREVER. Oh, and I paid my $75 for the range service & have YET to get actual service on the appliance. The "warranty" is a crock. We discovered a large roof leak that the sellers covered up to sell the house. Is HSA going to get us a new roof since the entire thing is shot? Nope. It was "improperly installed" not something a home inspection caught either. Imagine moving into a new house & IMMEDIATELY having to replace the roof. SURPRISE! Your home "warranty" is not going to do anything about that--EVEN THOUGH THE BROCHURE SAYS ROOFS ARE COVERED.

The point here is: "Warranties" nowadays are WORTHLESS. It's always in the best interest of the companies issuing them --NOT TO PAY. And they WILL find ways not to. The "contract" is FULL of clauses that let them off the hook to actually give you replacements of broken components of your investment: namely your home. Dont be duped into thinking a home "warranty" will help you in any way. If you purchase a home with maintenance issues (even unseen ones) assume you will have to foot the bill for all of it & budget accordingly & buy a home well within your financial means.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I called HSA to request a plumbing repair for a new leak I noticed in a copper line in my basement ceiling. The plumber identified the leak as being caused by copper pipe electrolysis. HSA said that this is "not normal wear and tear" and therefore not covered by my homeowner's warranty. Electrolysis is a process where copper pipes can be damaged over time by stray electrical current in the home. It is not an unusual occurrence in older homes, and in my opinion a part of normal aging of the house and should be covered. I was charged $75 for this service call and received no service. I would advise potential purchasers of an HSA home warranty to review the policy carefully before buying and look for this type of exclusion which will make the policy worthless when something actually fails in your home.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

If I could give HSA Home Warranty a NEGATIVE 100 Stars they have EARNED IT. For Home Owners and New Home Buyers BEWARE of this SCAM FRAUDULENT company masquerading as a legitimate home warranty company because all they are is a Answering Service where they hired a lot of retired people to just take your name and policy number and that's it. They DON'T provide any home warranty services. They also will charge you extra fees on top what you paid in full policy. HSA Home Warranty CSR will tell you they are sending a licensed contractor to your home and they don't. I found out that my Real Estate Agent Lee ** from Howard Hanna tied them to my Home Closing which lets me know that Howard Hanna and HSA Home Warranty got some type of under the table deal to register new home buyers to this fake warranty company.

I have just recently filed a BBB Formal Complaint and found out that HSA Home Warranty has 10,000 plus Formal Complaints along with Consumer Affairs where they document Thousands of Complaints. Just Google HSA Home Warranty. I also filed a Formal Complaint with the Ohio State Attorney's General Office and with the Ohio Department Of Insurance because warranties is under insurance. For those new home buyers that's being represented by Howard Hanna, make sure your Howard Hanna Real Estate Agent is not registering with this fake warranty company.

Original review: July 31, 2019

We submitted a work order for our broken AC 15 DAYS AGO... We have 3 kids sleeping in the living room because bedrooms have no AC IN JULY! HSA has sent 3 companies to do an assessment, but no fix is in progress. I’ve been waiting over 2 hrs for a callback from the supervisor (this in addition to numerous other calls we’ve made to try to get information). We’re losing patience. AVOID HSA! LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR HOME WARRANTY!

Home Security America Company Information