1.22/5
Based on 175 reviews that contain star ratings

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

184 Home Security America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Called on morning of 10/4 due to ac not running. Was told they would research a vendor. After numerous calls Fri and Sat, was told they could not find a company and authorized me to call my own. Great tech came out and diagnosed the problem, called authorizations and gave then the estimate to repair or replace. He agreed to use their parts.

I was called an hour later by HSA authorizations department and was told his process were ridiculous. They offered me $1800 to go away or I could agree to let their network vendor that was miraculously just found do the work. I agreed to let HSA'S company handle it. THEY could not come out until Monday, and had to perform the same diagnostic all over again. They found the same issues and recommended replacement. This went back to HSA research.

On Wed I received an email saying "congrats" you have been approved for a replacement. Out will only cost you an additional $750. I Called HSA to ask why, and I was told due to the upgrade because they were replacing parts within my unit, read not a new unit. I told them that made no sense as I had an email stating they were replacing the unit with a lousy of charges, I what through then with the rep and asked why three were being added on. I was told then because the work cost $2200 to complete and these were outside of the contact.

I called twice Wed evening spending a total of 2 hours on hold waiting to speak to a supervisor to explain the charges. I was buying up on twice, and was told to call the service provider so they could explain why my HSA warranty did not cover their items (all conveniently round numbers). I was asked by customer service while waiting to speak to a supervisor why I was calling after they said to replace the unit. I told them because they want to charge me $750 for a $2200 repair. I would have been went ahead taking the $1800 to start.

Still no answers and I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for a supervisor to call me. Meanwhile no heat pump and temp is dropping tomorrow; here's hoping my young kids enjoy the camping experience. HSA homie you contacts and stop the runaround. Simple. I have had Choice Home Warranty for the past 4 years and they are great. HVAC failing in a home I bought 6 weeks ago is why I have you to behind with No? If you are considering HSA run far and run fast!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Our refrigerator door broke. Is it covered, why yes it is. Except the part is on back order for FOUR months. So what are we supposed to do without a refrigerator for FOUR months? HSS really does not care. Not their problem is what they say. They are operating within the guidelines of the contract... So can I speak to a supervisor..."No you may not, but you can call in (and sit on hold for 45 to 55 minutes) and open a request to have a supervisor contact you at a later date, sometime in the next seven to ten days." They really are the epitome of poor customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am here to save yourself mental anguish as well as your time and money, six words or less or “don’t waste your time or money” or “don’t do it.” I can’t stress enough how accurate these reviews are, it’s been 9 days since my refrigerator has been out, and the strangest thing is the tech who answered the service call, stated upfront it would take 7 – 10 days. I was like there was NO way this company would be that insensitive, I was sadly mistaken, not only were they insensitive to me not having my refrigerator, they are uncaring, hardhearted, uncompassionate, unemotional, unmoved, callous and I bet the farm they didn’t have HSA home warranty. If this is how they treat paying customer this is one they have lost for good and I will tell any and everyone who would listen to run far and FAST at the sound of anyone who mentions having an HSA policy.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have to give at least one star so others can see this. DO NOT purchase a warranty with this company. I have been trying for 2 days and cannot contact anyone about my warranty. They will take your money and not provide any help. Have called 13 times in 2 days with no success. You can only talk to the new warranty people to sign up and make a payment. They will not answer questions about existing contracts. You're put on hold. I have waited for over 40 minutes 3 times without success. I just filed a complaint with the BBB. Please don't waste your money.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

HSA was absolutely terrible in just about every dealing we had with them. No return phone calls half the time, we were constantly chasing them. We had a dishwasher serviced and it took four months to get it looked at and even after the repair was done, it failed again! No recourse or followups after trying to get a refrigerator worked on as well. Repair never happened. One year has passed and we get emails and phone calls asking us to renew. Ha! The nerve of their people. They ignore us and put us off as much as they could and then want our money again. A real slap in the face if you ask me. Zero star rating if I could. Avoid this company at all cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I notified the company of an emergency situation, and they sent a provider out to assess the situation. I was told an expensive part was needed, but that the contractor had to order it through HSA and that it would take at least a week to get the part and schedule the repair. Even though the contracted vendor could do it same day, the company refused to hear our requests. THE REPRESENTATIVE ACTUALLY SAID, “I have to get permission to transfer you to a supervisor.” She came back and said, “I did not get permission...” She ended the call. Isn’t it nice that they can treat paying customers with contracts this way? I’m actually going to call some attorneys in Memphis where they’re located and start legal action. They acknowledge I’m experiencing an emergency, but then just shrug it off like it’s nothing. This was the second year of using this company, but it’s by far the last.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Have nothing but terrible things to say about this warranty company. You think you pay for something to protect you from unexpected costs but they try to weasel their way out of any responsibility and are rude to you on top of that. Make you wait forever to have anyone even come out to assess the issue. I can say with good confidence they work with their own vendors to frame the issue in a way that they are no longer responsible for helping you "per the contract" Everything is "per the contract". Try to have a heart and work with people rather than tricking those into thinking they're purchasing something that can possible help them with the unexpected.

Original review: July 30, 2018

When we purchased our home it came with an HSA Home Warranty. HSA has now merged with American Home Shield. In the course of 10 months we have had several repair requests. Two repairs have been easy of the 6 repair requests. For those problems I have spent on average 30 min-7 hours each time on phone calls alone to get problems fixed. We start booking online but often site does not work. Today tried to book repair for AC- that took 2 hours. Site didn't work. Had to reset PW. Then the first three companies they wanted to send to repair had horrible reviews so we had to cancel the request and re-book hoping for a vendor with better reviews. I've learned the hard way to check reviews on the companies that they send.

To say we've had problems would be the understatement of the year. The worst repair/issue started with a service request to get our non working cook top repaired. HSA sent a local repair company Amtec Services- they sent a man out that was totally unprofessional. He had no business card, no marking for business on car, no uniform, no sales slip. He left. Said it would be a few days for a part. A full week passed and I still have a non-working stove. Many, many calls to HSA and Amtec asking about why it's taking so long and LOTS of different stories- finally after two weeks on a NON working stove and take out/microwave meals the repair guys come back. Still rude, no business cards etc. They leave dirt all over but fixed my Jenn-Air cooktop.

After they leave I notice a chip in the glass that was not present before. They had totally removed the glass and stood it vertically on my stone floor. I'm sure this is how it chipped. I called HSA to ask they fix the chip. They tell me to contact the vendor Amtech which I do. The same tech comes out and says he didn't do it. As a homeowner I would never guess to the need to document the condition of an appliance before a repair. Now (Am**TECH) won't return calls. After MANY, many calls to HSA/AHS they say it's not their problem. I have to get the company they contracted to fix the chip they caused. The A...TECH won't call me back (I've been blackmailed to remove their name). HSA does not have a way to email or send a photo or formal complaint about my concerns. The only option is to call or chat (chat option is impossible to find).

I have found BBB ratings now for the company they sent of an F and horrible reviews all over the internet. HSA will not help. They won't even provide the business address or owners actual name. This is scary- What if we were robbed or worse? The only info HSA/American Home Shield will share is the first name of the owner of the business. Be very careful letting companies in that home warranty sends. I ended up writing several horrible reviews of the company (AM**tech) on BBB, Google, Yelp etc. Only after the bad reviews did they agree to fix what the broke only on the condition that I removed the poor reviews.

Yep. The company blackmailed me... HSA does research companies well. If there is a problem and they damage something homeowners have little recourse... Lesson learned the hard way. We've also had problems with them billing for repairs that we paid for. For 9 months we kept getting a bill for a repair that we paid for. I called many times and was told yes it's ok. Only to get an email bill or mailed bill. This was in spite of sending copies of the paid bill, copy of my credit call bill showing the payment. And the vendor calling HSA saying they were paid. They are a nightmare in every aspect! I would also stay away from HSA/American Home Shield as well.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Just received the HSA Warranty for our home we purchased sixty days ago. Seems the roof has a leak after the first rain. 1st Call: Called HSA Home Warranty and went thru their system noting that we are an existing customer. Twenty five minutes on hold and no one answered. 2nd Call: Called a different number listed on our policy, was on hold for 20 minutes and still no one answered. 3rd Call: Called first number and pressed button for 'New Business'. Brittney answered the phone on the first ring. When I told her I needed to see about the roof leak she transferred me and I have now been on hold for 18 minutes and still no one has answered. Not sure how a person is able to file a claim or even find out what their coverage is if no one answers the phone.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I renewed my warranty on my new home for piece of mind. I only needed to have 1 service call for the first year for my AC. Guy said all I need was to add some Freon. Great! So when it came time to renew my plan I did so and was offered no options just renewal instructions. Now my AC goes out and the tech said it should have definitely been replaced last year instead of "topped off" which I suspect HSA told them to do. We were told that because we didn't have some 7 star upgrade plan that we are responsible for a large portion of the new AC unit. What 7 star plan? These options were never offered/discussed with us? I have had to call a few times to make sure of the date of auto draft and each time I get a different answer. I am currently on hold with them and have been for a while. I do not recommend this company at all.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Had Home Security America company for over 2 years and then my water heater broke. I had to pay $50 for the company to come and check it, to see if the damage was covered by the insurance. They came, said that it was an item usually covered by their plan, BUT that because the water heater had been IMPROPERLY INSTALLED by whoever installed it 8 years before, the Company WOULD NOT pay one dime towards a new one. Very convenient for the company. I dropped it the next day. Never again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

HSA was purchased when I bought my home in July 2017, it was around $500 (septic and well added). First of all, you can't talk to a live person on the phone unless you want to wait over an hour each time. Then if you finally get someone on the phone after an hour, the calls gets dropped and no one will call you back. If you do chat on website it's a little faster but annoying as you have to type out all the questions and time consuming. I submitted one claim on a dishwasher that was more than 18 years old. It was rusted and really needed to be replaced. The contractor said he could fix the issue with it not working and the part and bill would be $191, so I could have him fix a rusted out dishwasher (part only not the rust) to make it run (for how long??) or HSA would give me a cash out offer of $191 to replace it.

Don't know if you had to replace a dishwasher lately, but average was around $400. HSA should have figured in a replacement cost for it, but didn't. So out $90 service fee and $294 I paid out of pocket for dishwasher that was $485. Then my boiler system to heat the house stopped working (winter/single digits and have a 2 year old). I understand HSA hires contractors and we have to go off their schedules, but this was an emergency with freezing temps. HSA would not submit it as an emergency and took contractor 2 days to come out. Then find out he is not licensed to work on boiler systems, so I had to contact HSA again and have them send out a different contractor, took another 2 days. Had to use space heaters all around home (which is fire hazard to keep from pipes and ourselves from freezing).

Was told by HSA only had to pay the $90 service charge one time, but they actually charged me twice and my account showed past due for 6 months and it wasn't. Contractor that came out was great and had problems with the unit and set up (radiate floors weren't set up correctly by original homeowner). It took the contractor over a month to get it right but again, the contractor was great and went out of their way to fix this. When all said and done, HSA always claims we will fix or replace it. However, that is another joke as they don't tell you in fine print that they will only replace up to $1500 total for the whole policy, once that is gone the policy will terminate. So my heating unit was around $5000k and HSA only paid $1309 (minus the $191 I already used) and considered my policy completed. So after $180 in service fees and the extra $3500k+ I paid out of pocket, really wasn't worth the $500 for the policy.

Original review: May 16, 2018

AC had been repaired once by HSA contractor and then it went out again... This time for good. Took HSA more than two weeks to ship the part to the contractor. What happened to overnight shipping? Meanwhile, I had my 80+ year old parents visiting with temps well into the 90s outside... Inside even hotter. I begged them to expedite the part shipment so we could get the AC back up and running. They said "sorry. There's nothing we can do."

This is 2018. As someone who has worked with the logistics and shipping industry, it's just not credible to say it takes two weeks to ship a part. I went out and hired a reputable AC company to install a new air conditioner. I was able to get that done before the HSA contractor called to tell me the part had arrive. Ridiculous. HSA preys on consumers and does whatever it can to take shortcuts so it doesn't have to make good on the warranty policy. Avoid this company at all costs and just go online to look at other reviews. There has been nothing positive written about this company. And for good reason.

Original review: April 25, 2018

We've used them since we bought our house in 2013. Every year we renew and every year we have an issue or three. They've always handled everything very well and normally in a fairly timely fashion. They can't control other company's schedules. The only complaints we've had is the price has gone up a LOT. & Our AC is 20 yrs old this yr. 2 yrs ago a major component went out. Instead of replacing this 20 yr old unit as was recommended, they spend over 2 weeks hunting down this hard to find, expensive part to repair it. I know that in the long run replacing it back then would have been the less expensive route.

Original review: March 15, 2018

We received this home warranty when we purchased our house. PLEASE read the entire review. On 2-26-2018 I called HSA to put a work order in for a new pressure tank, as ours had developed a leak and was no longer working. I spoke with "Sharon". Told her on multiple occasions during our conversation that the problem was the pressure tank, she said, "Ok I'll put in a work order," which she did. The next day I get a call from the plumbing company, stating they had a guy in the area and could come out that morning. When the plumber arrived he too determined that the pressure tank was bad. It took approximately 2 hours to replace and test it. All was good... or so I thought.

When he called into HSA to tell them what he had done and that he was done with the job. He was told by HSA that the pressure tank was not covered under our contract. He came back into my house to tell me he had bad news, and explained what they had told him. He had the HSA employee on hold while telling me the bad news. He then let me speak to them, "Kim" and I asked why I wasn't told that the item in question wasn't covered at the time of placing the work order phone call. Kim apologized and said their employee must have misunderstood what I was asking to be fixed. I told her that was NOT the case and that I had expressed what needed to be fixed numerous times during our conversation. Kim told me that they would pull the call (takes 7-10 biz days) and get back to me.

I called back on 3-6-2018, spoke with Shanikwa, only to be told the call was never pulled. She once again requested it be pulled and that they would get back to me. I called back 3-9-2018, and at first spoke with Hoagan. And when I told him I had a complaint, and that I wanted to speak to his super... my call was dropped!!! I called back and spoke with Cindy this time. Once again I was told the call had not been pulled yet, but was asked to at least give them the 7-10 biz days to do a follow up. I called back on 3-14-2018, and spoke to Chris. After explaining again the reason for my phone call. I was told they STILL hadn't pulled the call for reviewing!!! I asked to speak to a supervisor. Chris put me on hold and when he returned stated that he reached out to his supervisor, explained the situation and that she (Jessica) would pull the call and call me back after 2 hours. She never called back!!!

I called back 3-15-2018, and spoke with Brittany. She informed me the called hadn't been pulled. So I asked to speak with a supervisor, only to be told that there wasn't one on duty at the time. And the only way that she could get in touch with them was to use messenger!!! Once again the request to have the call pulled paperwork was submitted. This has been my nightmare thus far. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Tuesday 3/6/18 around 8 AM - Power goes out to some of our upstairs bedrooms and bathroom. I go and look at the breaker box, but nothing is tripped. I reset all the breakers and the main just to be sure after getting home from work but no change. I also checked all of the GFCI outlets and reset them in case but no effect. We were set to have a snow storm Wednesday so we waited to call an electrician till Thursday. In the meantime, someone recommended we go through our home warranty.

Thursday 3/8/18 - around 8 AM - My wife calls HSA. They say someone will contact us within 24 hours from the company and that we only owe $100 service fee. Friday 3/9/18 - around 6:30 PM - M PREISING ELECTRICAL LLC finally calls us to schedule a Monday morning appointment. Not ideal but at this point we figure at least it will get fixed on Monday.

Monday 3/12/18 - Electrician comes out and spends over three hours in our house (not quite sure doing what) and comes to the conclusion that there is a break "somewhere" (obviously...) and that he will have to open the walls to find it. He also told me the junction box and the circuit in the box it was on. Well, he was wrong on the circuit it was on, and I could clearly see he didn't even check every outlet on the circuit due to paint still being on the boxes when I ended up removing a few.

He can't take down walls without HSA's approval so he has to contact them before moving forward. Two hours after he left, HSA calls me saying our claim is DENIED due to the electrician saying he "recommends" that we have three new breakers installed and that this now falls under an "inadequacy" and this is not covered by our contract. After an hour on the phone with HSA, all I was able to do was schedule a second opinion with another low rated company and they can't come out until 3/14.

The problem with this "inadequacy" claim is that we have never blown this breaker, or had any issues with power loss or inadequate power to devices on those outlets. If this was due to true inadequacy we would have had issues over the past six months of living there. On top of that, at the time of the issue occurring, we didn't even have much plugged onto that circuit, I doubt it was drawing anywhere near the 16 AMPS recommended as max on a 20 AMP circuit. Also, three new breakers would essentially be a MAX of 2 outlets per box, which is ridiculous and unnecessary. HSA wanted to hear none of this and just wants to blindly shoot down a claim to save money. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR WARRANTY!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I made a service request for an electrical issue. After 1 month I have yet to see an electrician provided. The electrician never responds, but the home warranty won't give me another electrician. Still they have charged me a $100 service fee. Home warranty can only be contacted by phone which makes me waste extra time to contact them, then they contact the electrician and circle continues. It's been a useless waste of my time.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

We received this home warranty when we purchased our home. When the first year was over we were given an option to extend the warranty. I almost didn't do it because of negative reviews but so happy I did because about a month after renewing our furnace broke. HSA was quick to respond and got us a new furnace within 2 days. It was a great experience and all of the customer service people were friendly and helpful! I definitely recommend.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I setup my service request online last Thursday. On that Friday, I never received a call regarding my request. So I called the contractor that HSA emailed me. That person told me he never received the service request. He then called me 5 hours later telling me he was in a bad area and couldn't check his emails but finally got and wanted to come the next morning. I let him know that I had a funeral that morning, but would be home by the afternoon. He says to me "That's not good cause I promised my best friend I'd help him barbecue, so maybe you should just give me a call and see if I'm available or not". WHAT!!! I immediately called HSA, sat on hold for 45 minutes, complained about that contractor. So they set me up with another contractor. I thought it was all going well. That Saturday I was setup for a 2-4 time frame, only for no one to EVER show up!!

I called the number given and was told they would look into it and give me a callback. NO ONE EVER CALLED BACK! So I called back on Sunday, only to get an answer on MONDAY. The guy came out on Monday and told me about the car accident he had on Saturday, and that's why he couldn't come. I thought all was well until today is Thursday and I STILL HAVE NO HEAT!! He told me I needed a part. I never got a call back telling me the part was ready or not. So I just called and was told he was on the way picking up parts now, but they have people that have been waiting since last week!! So maybe I'll get my part tomorrow, or Saturday or who knows?!? It's cold here, and I can't keep doing this!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

HSA takes months to get repairs done in most cases. Trying to contact customer service is always a 30 minute hold and dropped calls. They also continuously fraudulently charge for extra service calls.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

They make it practically impossible to process any claim by limiting telephone access to the insurance company. If the policyholder or the contractor tries to call the wait times are always in excess of 45 minutes. Contractors cannot wait for authorization to perform any work. My wife just waited for 45 minutes to reach someone and when she did, he disconnected the call.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This is by far the worst Service I have ever experienced. I have had to take off work 4x now for GE to come out and fix my Microwave and he still hasn't fixed item yet. I started calling HSA after the 2nd trip out because the GE guy kept telling me that it was cheaper to replace the microwave than fix it. I was supposed to be given a 'buyout number', but that has never happened... We are now over 5 weeks into this with no Microwave and, of course, just as every other time I've called Customer Service - I am told the wait it a minimum of 30 minutes (the last call was over an hour before anyone answered-- and she was incredibly rude -- like it was my fault that this all happened. No Resolution, Long Wait Times on the Phone, Rude Customer Service - no results. Worst company ever.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

So you need to make a claim with HSA? Better block 1 hour + for a service call. I was on hold for 1:06 minutes just to be told to go online and file a claim. We had a leak in our washer, it took three technician visits and over a month to have repaired. In the meantime we continued to have water leaking on our floor. I called HSA twice and they refused to replace the washer. Of course HSA withdrew the $80 day one and we now have a POS washer and a floor to repair. I will NEVER allow anyone I care about sign a contract with this company.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

If you call, it will be 45 minutes to 1.5 hours and sometimes longer. No exaggeration. You have to pay for service at the time of booking. You can have them charge your card afterwards but you still must be ready to pay. When the service technician doesn't show up, it's about 50% of the time, you have to call to change anything so you are forced into the long wait times on the phone. It's insanely aggravating. My theory, is that the only contractors that work with this company are desperate for work and so as customers, you get the bottom of the barrel. I say this because out of the 3 times I have actually had the company show up, they are late, rude and do poor work. The problem with the poor work is that when you want to complain, you guessed it, time to be on hold all day. I like the idea of paying $100 to fix my appliances but in the end, it hasn't worked out this past 1.5 years. Save your money.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I recently bought a house with an HSA home warranty. After reading all these reviews and others, I wasn't looking forward to dealing with them. Our washer (10 years old) started making bearing noise (airplane taking off). I called them and they said it would not be covered. It does leak sometimes so that would be covered. The tech came out a few days later and couldn't get it to leak but did notice the door hinge was broken - which probably was causing the leak. The part wasn't available so they are replacing the washer with a $600 GE washer. What a bargain. We really wanted another model but had to pay for the upgrade - not worth it - we'll stick with the GE and keep the warranty on it.

Many of the complaints on here are about hold times and sure, I've probably been on hold 1.5 to 2 hours over the last week or two but frankly, I put on the speaker phone and just keep working - who cares... if you understand their business, they have to have long queues to keep their phone people busy - it is like the long lines at Sam's Club. If there isn't a line, they are wasting money on cashiers standing there idle. I don't mind the wait but I do wish it was shorter but I understand. At one point, the phone connection did drop.

Took her about 10 minutes but the woman called me back (she said her phone rings immediately when the call is dropped and she has to take the next call. I was very "happy" with them on the phone and gracious and they were to me as well. All in all, I was very impressed and am highly recommending them. By the way, I'm incredibly harsh in my reviews most of the time - so don't think I'm one of those people that just likes everyone. :-)

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We bought a house with this warranty already placed on it. The hot tub went out in June so I called to place a claim. I had 2 choices in picking who came out to look at it. HSA gladly took my 100 deductible. The guy comes out and says there are 2 things wrong with it. He came for the first problem and then said he needed to order the other parts for the 2nd problem. I called about a month later and asked when they were coming back out. Never could get a hold of anyone. Aug. 15 I get a text from contractor said ordered parts will contact you in 24 hours for an appt. Never got a call. So I'm left wondering did they come or not (hot tub is in back yard so they could have just shown up) so I called and called, nothing.

I finally called HSA at the end of Aug. where customer service emailed them and told me they would call me back when they heard back. Never heard a thing, so I called back Sept. 25, again. Don't even get me started on the wait times, plus when you do get a hold of someone they conveniently disconnect with you so you have to call back and wait another 30 min. I did get a return call on Sept. 27 telling me they finally got a hold of the contractor and they confirmed the work was completely. My husband went out today 3 days after the confirmation of it being completed only to find out we are getting the same error message as our original claim. I called back this morning and was told that, "Well too bad. You only have 30 days to call back if something wasn't correct."

It's only been 3 days. She said, "Well too bad. Your 30 days was up on Sep 22." She said I should have turned it on sooner to see if it was working. I was specifically told by the contractor when he first came out to not turn it on as we could do more damage. This is ridiculous! They are scamming people. They don't care they are sending slimy contractors to your home. This customer service rep was rude and didn't even attempt to help. There have to be other reputable warranty companies out there, stay away from this one. If you are buying a house and a warranty is part of the deal, ask to pick your own and don't use this one!! You have been forewarned!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

We have HSA for our home warranty. I can say I did not choose them however when we purchased our home last year we requested a home warranty be part of our closing. So, we have an HSA plan that is basically non-existent for our existing issue. My oven decided to stop turning on last Saturday. I promptly called HSA and reported it and they referred me to their appliance repair company Reliable Appliance out of Anchorage. Over the phone that company told HSA, who in turn told me that they could have someone out at 9am on Wed. At the time I thought this was a long time to wait but was informed by both companies that they have a five day grace period, so this was within their five days. Then on Monday I called to confirm with Reliable and they said, “NO, we cannot come out until sometime Thursday, we will call you Wed and let you know when we will be out on Thursday.”

Now, today, Tuesday they called to say, “Wait, better yet, we will not be out until the middle of next week!” That to me seems unacceptable! Ten days, no oven. I cook every day and have a daughter with special dietary needs and wait, we have a home warranty with HSA that is supposed to be helping us when these kind of issues occur.

At this point, no one has bothered to call me back from HSA, to offer to get another company to do the repair or to let me find someone and they can then pay that person. Seems like a big company like HSA could have more than one appliance repair company for all of Anchorage and the entire Matsu Valley? Really, why is that? Do they not pay their contractors enough money, are they cheap, or do they just not give a blank about their customers. Maybe all of the above. My year is close to the end with HSA and you can bet I will be shopping around for a better company to be my home warranty company for the rest of my time in this home.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Called customer service after noon today. Hour wait time on phone. Emergency water break and flood in my home. They gave me number of plumbing company. Plumber never called. I called plumber... reached voice mail. Left message. Got an answer back in about 15 mins after leaving msg. with plumber. Said they can't get to me until Fri (today is Mon) and told me to call back warranty company to "reassign to another plumber."

Called back HSA. On hold again for another 58 minutes. Customer service then tells me it wasn't originally entered as EMERGENCY (are you kidding?). Said they will "expedite to dispatch" for emergency scheduling and will call me back. No call back all afternoon. It is now going on 6 p.m. and I have water everywhere, main supply shut off and on hold again for third hour today waiting on customer service since first calling HSA after noon today.

Probably going to have to contact plumber on my own then use my business attorney to go after HSA for reimbursement for failure to fulfill contractual obligations. This company doesn't care about the customer after it has your money. Go ANYWHERE else. Google "HSA warranty complaints" and read for days... hundreds, perhaps thousands of similar complaints. No good!!! Steer clear. There are better warranty companies. Never again!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We made an appointment online and then fixed it ourselves. We tried to call back to cancel it and were on hold for 1 hour and 45 min. While I was on hold we called back on a different phone and talked to sales and they were very happy to set up a new account for us if that is what we needed but not happy to help a current customer. I tried to talk to a supervisor and that was out of the question, until finally I said I was going to cancel our contract because we are up for renewal. No help with them. Finally when someone came to the phone they just said it was because it is summer and they are busy. There was no way to leave a callback number and there was no way to cancel online. There is no excuse for a 1 hour and 45 minute wait in this digital age. We are actively looking for a new company to use.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

We had a pipe leak in our finished basement. In the past, I've reported issues online, and have never had any problems. I made the initial request shortly after 7 am. After not hearing from the plumber for a few hours and being unable to contact the plumber directly (and leaving multiple voice mail messages), I called HSA only to find out that the plumber denied the request and that I should have called rather than using the website. Granted this was after two calls - initially I was on hold for 35 minutes and needed to take another call; then I called back and was on hold for another 55 minutes! I was frustrated that it took me reaching out to HSA to learn about the request being denied.

By the time I was able to talk to someone at HSA, it was after 11 am and we had significant water in our basement due to the leak. I was then told that all of the contractors HSA worked with were busy (keep in mind, I live in a major metropolitan area) and it would be 2-3 days to get the pipe fixed, all while I unable to turn off the water to the damaged pipe, which was continuing to spray water all over my basement. I was told I had the option be put on a wait list and if I didn't hear anything in four hours, I could find my own contractor and HSA would reimburse me. Had we waited four hours, it would have been after 3 pm and I felt it would be difficult to find a contractor to come out that day. Again, because my basement was flooding, I ended up getting my own contractor and paid out of pocket to get the problem resolved.

The ironic thing is that shortly after the contractor I procured to fix the pipe arrived, the original plumber called us saying he found us on the wait list, that his schedule had freed up and he could come out. The lack of communication, support and any empathy from HSA during what I perceived to be an emergency was the worst customer services I've ever experienced. HSA provided no benefit at all for the damaged pipe or the resulting damage that the leak caused. I would encourage anyone I talk to avoid using HSA and will not be renewing my contract after it expires.

Home Security America Company Information