1.00/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a home warranty company?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 9, 2017

165 Home Security America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I setup my service request online last Thursday. On that Friday, I never received a call regarding my request. So I called the contractor that HSA emailed me. That person told me he never received the service request. He then called me 5 hours later telling me he was in a bad area and couldn't check his emails but finally got and wanted to come the next morning. I let him know that I had a funeral that morning, but would be home by the afternoon. He says to me "That's not good cause I promised my best friend I'd help him barbecue, so maybe you should just give me a call and see if I'm available or not". WHAT!!! I immediately called HSA, sat on hold for 45 minutes, complained about that contractor. So they set me up with another contractor. I thought it was all going well. That Saturday I was setup for a 2-4 time frame, only for no one to EVER show up!!

I called the number given and was told they would look into it and give me a callback. NO ONE EVER CALLED BACK! So I called back on Sunday, only to get an answer on MONDAY. The guy came out on Monday and told me about the car accident he had on Saturday, and that's why he couldn't come. I thought all was well until today is Thursday and I STILL HAVE NO HEAT!! He told me I needed a part. I never got a call back telling me the part was ready or not. So I just called and was told he was on the way picking up parts now, but they have people that have been waiting since last week!! So maybe I'll get my part tomorrow, or Saturday or who knows?!? It's cold here, and I can't keep doing this!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

HSA takes months to get repairs done in most cases. Trying to contact customer service is always a 30 minute hold and dropped calls. They also continuously fraudulently charge for extra service calls.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

They make it practically impossible to process any claim by limiting telephone access to the insurance company. If the policyholder or the contractor tries to call the wait times are always in excess of 45 minutes. Contractors cannot wait for authorization to perform any work. My wife just waited for 45 minutes to reach someone and when she did, he disconnected the call.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

This is by far the worst Service I have ever experienced. I have had to take off work 4x now for GE to come out and fix my Microwave and he still hasn't fixed item yet. I started calling HSA after the 2nd trip out because the GE guy kept telling me that it was cheaper to replace the microwave than fix it. I was supposed to be given a 'buyout number', but that has never happened... We are now over 5 weeks into this with no Microwave and, of course, just as every other time I've called Customer Service - I am told the wait it a minimum of 30 minutes (the last call was over an hour before anyone answered-- and she was incredibly rude -- like it was my fault that this all happened. No Resolution, Long Wait Times on the Phone, Rude Customer Service - no results. Worst company ever.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

So you need to make a claim with HSA? Better block 1 hour + for a service call. I was on hold for 1:06 minutes just to be told to go online and file a claim. We had a leak in our washer, it took three technician visits and over a month to have repaired. In the meantime we continued to have water leaking on our floor. I called HSA twice and they refused to replace the washer. Of course HSA withdrew the $80 day one and we now have a POS washer and a floor to repair. I will NEVER allow anyone I care about sign a contract with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

If you call, it will be 45 minutes to 1.5 hours and sometimes longer. No exaggeration. You have to pay for service at the time of booking. You can have them charge your card afterwards but you still must be ready to pay. When the service technician doesn't show up, it's about 50% of the time, you have to call to change anything so you are forced into the long wait times on the phone. It's insanely aggravating. My theory, is that the only contractors that work with this company are desperate for work and so as customers, you get the bottom of the barrel. I say this because out of the 3 times I have actually had the company show up, they are late, rude and do poor work. The problem with the poor work is that when you want to complain, you guessed it, time to be on hold all day. I like the idea of paying $100 to fix my appliances but in the end, it hasn't worked out this past 1.5 years. Save your money.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

We bought a house with this warranty already placed on it. The hot tub went out in June so I called to place a claim. I had 2 choices in picking who came out to look at it. HSA gladly took my 100 deductible. The guy comes out and says there are 2 things wrong with it. He came for the first problem and then said he needed to order the other parts for the 2nd problem. I called about a month later and asked when they were coming back out. Never could get a hold of anyone. Aug. 15 I get a text from contractor said ordered parts will contact you in 24 hours for an appt. Never got a call. So I'm left wondering did they come or not (hot tub is in back yard so they could have just shown up) so I called and called, nothing.

I finally called HSA at the end of Aug. where customer service emailed them and told me they would call me back when they heard back. Never heard a thing, so I called back Sept. 25, again. Don't even get me started on the wait times, plus when you do get a hold of someone they conveniently disconnect with you so you have to call back and wait another 30 min. I did get a return call on Sept. 27 telling me they finally got a hold of the contractor and they confirmed the work was completely. My husband went out today 3 days after the confirmation of it being completed only to find out we are getting the same error message as our original claim. I called back this morning and was told that, "Well too bad. You only have 30 days to call back if something wasn't correct."

It's only been 3 days. She said, "Well too bad. Your 30 days was up on Sep 22." She said I should have turned it on sooner to see if it was working. I was specifically told by the contractor when he first came out to not turn it on as we could do more damage. This is ridiculous! They are scamming people. They don't care they are sending slimy contractors to your home. This customer service rep was rude and didn't even attempt to help. There have to be other reputable warranty companies out there, stay away from this one. If you are buying a house and a warranty is part of the deal, ask to pick your own and don't use this one!! You have been forewarned!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

We have HSA for our home warranty. I can say I did not choose them however when we purchased our home last year we requested a home warranty be part of our closing. So, we have an HSA plan that is basically non-existent for our existing issue. My oven decided to stop turning on last Saturday. I promptly called HSA and reported it and they referred me to their appliance repair company Reliable Appliance out of Anchorage. Over the phone that company told HSA, who in turn told me that they could have someone out at 9am on Wed. At the time I thought this was a long time to wait but was informed by both companies that they have a five day grace period, so this was within their five days. Then on Monday I called to confirm with Reliable and they said, “NO, we cannot come out until sometime Thursday, we will call you Wed and let you know when we will be out on Thursday.”

Now, today, Tuesday they called to say, “Wait, better yet, we will not be out until the middle of next week!” That to me seems unacceptable! Ten days, no oven. I cook every day and have a daughter with special dietary needs and wait, we have a home warranty with HSA that is supposed to be helping us when these kind of issues occur.

At this point, no one has bothered to call me back from HSA, to offer to get another company to do the repair or to let me find someone and they can then pay that person. Seems like a big company like HSA could have more than one appliance repair company for all of Anchorage and the entire Matsu Valley? Really, why is that? Do they not pay their contractors enough money, are they cheap, or do they just not give a blank about their customers. Maybe all of the above. My year is close to the end with HSA and you can bet I will be shopping around for a better company to be my home warranty company for the rest of my time in this home.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Called customer service after noon today. Hour wait time on phone. Emergency water break and flood in my home. They gave me number of plumbing company. Plumber never called. I called plumber... reached voice mail. Left message. Got an answer back in about 15 mins after leaving msg. with plumber. Said they can't get to me until Fri (today is Mon) and told me to call back warranty company to "reassign to another plumber."

Called back HSA. On hold again for another 58 minutes. Customer service then tells me it wasn't originally entered as EMERGENCY (are you kidding?). Said they will "expedite to dispatch" for emergency scheduling and will call me back. No call back all afternoon. It is now going on 6 p.m. and I have water everywhere, main supply shut off and on hold again for third hour today waiting on customer service since first calling HSA after noon today.

Probably going to have to contact plumber on my own then use my business attorney to go after HSA for reimbursement for failure to fulfill contractual obligations. This company doesn't care about the customer after it has your money. Go ANYWHERE else. Google "HSA warranty complaints" and read for days... hundreds, perhaps thousands of similar complaints. No good!!! Steer clear. There are better warranty companies. Never again!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We made an appointment online and then fixed it ourselves. We tried to call back to cancel it and were on hold for 1 hour and 45 min. While I was on hold we called back on a different phone and talked to sales and they were very happy to set up a new account for us if that is what we needed but not happy to help a current customer. I tried to talk to a supervisor and that was out of the question, until finally I said I was going to cancel our contract because we are up for renewal. No help with them. Finally when someone came to the phone they just said it was because it is summer and they are busy. There was no way to leave a callback number and there was no way to cancel online. There is no excuse for a 1 hour and 45 minute wait in this digital age. We are actively looking for a new company to use.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

We had a pipe leak in our finished basement. In the past, I've reported issues online, and have never had any problems. I made the initial request shortly after 7 am. After not hearing from the plumber for a few hours and being unable to contact the plumber directly (and leaving multiple voice mail messages), I called HSA only to find out that the plumber denied the request and that I should have called rather than using the website. Granted this was after two calls - initially I was on hold for 35 minutes and needed to take another call; then I called back and was on hold for another 55 minutes! I was frustrated that it took me reaching out to HSA to learn about the request being denied.

By the time I was able to talk to someone at HSA, it was after 11 am and we had significant water in our basement due to the leak. I was then told that all of the contractors HSA worked with were busy (keep in mind, I live in a major metropolitan area) and it would be 2-3 days to get the pipe fixed, all while I unable to turn off the water to the damaged pipe, which was continuing to spray water all over my basement. I was told I had the option be put on a wait list and if I didn't hear anything in four hours, I could find my own contractor and HSA would reimburse me. Had we waited four hours, it would have been after 3 pm and I felt it would be difficult to find a contractor to come out that day. Again, because my basement was flooding, I ended up getting my own contractor and paid out of pocket to get the problem resolved.

The ironic thing is that shortly after the contractor I procured to fix the pipe arrived, the original plumber called us saying he found us on the wait list, that his schedule had freed up and he could come out. The lack of communication, support and any empathy from HSA during what I perceived to be an emergency was the worst customer services I've ever experienced. HSA provided no benefit at all for the damaged pipe or the resulting damage that the leak caused. I would encourage anyone I talk to avoid using HSA and will not be renewing my contract after it expires.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

As with any home purchase there are bound to be unforeseen repairs that pop up. You would think it should be an easy process to contact them & get a vendor out to fix problems. If you do it online then yes, but definitely not the case if you call. Unfortunately we've had an ongoing issue with our dishwasher so I have had to call them directly to schedule a 'recall' twice now. I have sat on hold for no less than 40 minutes every time I called... one call for an hour & a half!

This last time I called, I couldn't just make an appointment right away because of a certain contract provision they had with the vendor who did the original repair & was told I needed to call back tomorrow. The agent said that this was the only vendor we could use for the repair since it was a 'recall' & there was no other way to do this. She didn't care that I had to sit on hold for half my life & was very unapologetic about the whole situation. If you ever have any say in choosing your home warranty company then DO NOT CHOOSE THIS ONE... unless of course you enjoy headaches.

Original review: July 26, 2017

So I bought a house last month and as part of the agreement the sellers agree to purchase a warranty for us in case anything breaks in the house. Something broke with the garage door, so I was FORCED to file a claim online, I could not speak with anyone about it. Fine, the contractor came and told me, "Oh yeah, this is covered, it's $100 and we will submit the claim on your behalf and by Monday (they came on Friday) someone will call you to schedule the repair." Two weeks went by and I never heard from anyone, so I called the contractor and was advised that the claim was denied. No reason as to why and that we are still responsible for the $100 deductible. We were advised the contractor could fix this, but it would cost us $300+.

I called HSA and I was on hold for over 35 min and was not able to speak with anyone. I went to their site and requested a call back to explain why my claim was denied. Their sites states that requests are completed within 24 hours. Over a week went by and I never heard from anyone. I sent another request rather update again 2 days ago and have not heard from anyone. I have been working in customer service for the last 15 years and this is by far the worst customer service oriented company I ever dealt with. I feel this is a fraud, selling people a policy that they will not honor. Please go with a different company and stay away from this company...

Original review: July 25, 2017

Bosch Stove top went out and filed a claim. They only offered a cheap GE for replacement. I called them, and was put on hold for 40 minutes of music and being told how important my call was to them over and over and over and over. Gave up after 40 minutes, and decided maybe to call back when less busy. Called today and have been on hold for 1 hour and 45 minutes so far. Yea, they really want my business, will not renew, my renewal just came and they jacked up the price to $800 a year. Have already switched to another company and it's highly rated.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I received a home warranty from HSA upon purchase of my home last year. I thought that was good but I was so wrong. AC unit went out two weeks and it still hasn't been repaired! I've been on hold with them from 30 minutes to 56 minutes and it still has not been resolved. HSA keeps saying they ordered the part but the repair company keeps saying they haven't received it so they won't even schedule a repair time. I asked if I could find a company who could pick the part up from the distributor down the street, pay for it, and be reimbursed. They said no.

At this point I have only two options... wait another week for the part to arrive and AC to be repaired with no guarantee when this will happen, or just find an AC company and replace the whole thing on my own. I am livid! I could have had this done weeks ago. I really don't see how they are still in business. Maybe it's time for a lawsuit because this is false advertising and abuse. Stay away from HSA!

Original review: July 14, 2017

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE with this company. Our a/c quit during a heat wave. Calls to HSA went unanswered, with extended holds over 30 minutes trying to get a rep, and had to set up service via their menus. Then told service not available for another 5 days! Multiple calls and waits got rescheduled on third day after system went down. They did not do a checklist for possible problems. Cost me $100 to find out it was simply an emergency utility switch was inadvertently turned off. OK, our fault, but the service with this company stinks. Stay Away. PS... the local hvac guy said that HSA is supposed to run a checklist with you when you call in for service, which never happened. Could have avoided the charges. Repeat - Stay away from HSA.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Do not use this company. You will have to wait on hold for over an hour to speak with someone and the customer service is terrible. I had my AC break down and they made me wait 5 days for someone to come look at it. By the time Bell Cow arrived, it had just started working again. They charged me $100 and told me to call back when it stops working. I asked HSA for a second opinion and she said "sure, I will have someone call you." That never happened. It stopped 4 weeks later and I was told I had to call HSA again. Called, was on hold for over an hour, she connected me with a different AC company who is now making me wait another 4 days.

Original review: July 14, 2017

We purchased a home and had the seller purchase a home warranty through HSA. About 7 months after moving into the home we realized that we had some water leaking into our basement from a foundation wall. Since our warranty covered Foundation Leaks we contacted HSA. After being on hold for over an hour we finally spoke with an HSA representative and explained the situation to them. They kept inferring that it was a plumbing issue and I continually clarified this was not a plumbing issue as there was no plumbing in the foundation. They filed a claim and charged us $75. The contractor never showed. Called HSA and while waiting over an hour to get a rep I set up an online account. At this time I realized that the contractor they had assigned this to was a plumber.

Finally when I was able to speak with someone they confirmed that there was a mix-up with the contractor. I explained to them again that this was not a plumbing issue so they should not send a plumber. They said that they would send this contractor and if they determined it was not a plumbing issue we could pursue other options. A week after the original appointment the plumber shows up. The plumber proceeds to tell me that they have a lot of issues with HSA and that it is common for them to send them to jobs that do not involve plumbing problems. He immediately comes to the conclusion that this is not a plumbing problem and tells me that he will contact HSA and advise them accordingly. Later that night I receive a voice mail from HSA that my claim has been denied.

Next day I call HSA again and wait on hold for over an hour. Finally a rep is able to confirm that the claim was denied because the plumber told them that this appears to be "ground water" and they don't cover "ground water." Since my warranty covers Foundation Leaks I told them that I was confused and asked them to clarify the basis of my denial. They were unable to clarify the reason based on the language in the warranty and simply insisted that they will only cover plumbing problems and since this was a foundation issue it wasn't covered. After an hour of arguing with the rep she put me on hold to talk with a supervisor. When she returned she apologized for not recognizing that Foundation Leaks are covered in my warranty, claiming that this was something new that was just added to their warranty recently (this was July and my warranty was issued in December of the prior year).

Accordingly they set up an appointment with a contractor that specializes in foundation issues. The contractor came out the following week. The contractor looked at the issue and explained what they would need to do to correct the issue. He then proceeded to tell me that they have a lot of problems with HSA and are very rarely able to get them to cover any repairs. He said he would submit the estimate to HSA and contact me back. Later that night I received another voice mail from HSA advising me that they had declined my claim. Next morning I called HSA. After being on hold for 1 hour and 30 minutes I was finally able to get a rep. I asked them to explain why they had denied this claim. The rep said that I don't have a foundation issue and this is a plumbing issue and they won't cover modifications for a plumbing issue.

When I questioned why a plumber was sent and said it was not a plumbing issue so they sent a contractor who specializes in foundation issues who confirmed it was a foundation issue, why are they now saying it is a plumbing issue. The rep was very condescending and told me she owns a house and tried to explain to me what was happening to justify their decision. After 30 minutes (at least) of discussions she finally forwarded me over the authorizations department to have them explain the denial. This rep in this department gave me every reason under the Sun for why they wouldn't pay to repair the issue. Each time I asked her to point me to the language in the warranty that would justify that denial. Each time the section of the warranty that she quoted was completely unrelated to the foundation.

Then they pointed me to a section in my warranty and said it would only be covered if I had that additional coverage. I asked them why they would provide me with a copy of my warranty that would include coverage that I didn't have. Regardless after more discussion I was able to prove that this additional coverage had nothing to do with Foundation Leaks which was the issue at hand. She had to speak with a supervisor since she was unable to justify the denial based on the language in the warranty. When she came back she said they would try contacting the contractor again and put me on hold. She came back and said that the contractor was not answering his phone so they left him a message and sent him a follow-up email. Once they spoke to him they said a supervisor would call me back. In total I was on the phone with this company for 2 hours and 54 minutes on this call alone.

Today I received a call from the contractor to give me an update on the status. He told me that he submitted the estimate and then received a voice mail advising him that they had denied the claim the same day. He called back yesterday and was on hold for over an hour but never reached a rep. He called them again this morning and finally got a rep after 45 minutes on hold. The rep said that the person he would need to talk to was unavailable so he would need to call back. I told him that I had spoken to them yesterday and they said that they called him, left him a voice mail and sent him an email. He said that they didn't call him, he didn't have a voice mail from them and he never received an email from them. After this conversation I called HSA. As expected I had a long hold time. After 53 minutes I was connected with a rep only to immediately be disconnected. Do not use this company!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Do not use this company - Do your homework and check Yelp. I have spent over 7 hours on the phone trying to get them to send a technician to fix my AC unit in AZ it's 115 degrees today. I've waited over 30 minutes on phone 3 times and 1 hour another. I finally got through (mind you I paid for this company in the purchase of my home - I made the claim, and the technician didn't show up day 1. I call back. House now averaged 90 degrees, they say they found me another company and to be home 1-5 pm today. I took off from work 1-5 and waited. Guess what never happened by 5. I call back. Wait 30 more minutes - to only be treated like crap by the service rep - They then said they couldn't get anyone out until Monday or Tuesday - What???

The company said they had a CXL from someone. So this stupid company CXL my AC appointment from 1-5. I wait half the day and nothing. Now they say I must wait 4 hours to be in the "q" for a technician to reach me. It's now been 4 hours and nothing. They now say I can have my own AC company come repair at my cost and "they" will reimburse me. These people couldn't even book an appointment and have a company show in 4 days let alone will they reimburse me. This company is your typical insurance fraud and scam - They sell a service they never plan to serve. Ponzi.

Original review: June 29, 2017

My refrigerator was having a leak issue, so I submitted a claim with the home warranty. Service company called and asked me to provide the model number to the fridge so they can order a part. Over a month past and I heard nothing. I submitted a new claim, this time service company came out and I paid the $100. I still need to have a follow up appointment. Fast forward a week and I receive a bill for the original service order. After hours on hold, I finally get a live person. Explained everything, spent another hour on the phone and still no resolution. They won't remove the $100 charge and they claim the company came out multiple times.

Why would I waste my time and money to ask for service and then not be home? It's because I never got a scheduled appointment. I only received that initial call about ordering a part. So as we stand, I paid the $100 service fee, I have a bill from the home warranty company for another $100, and I still have a leaking fridge. Stay away from this company if all possible.

Original review: June 27, 2017

This company is by far the worst company I have ever done business with. I have never had a phone call answered faster than 45 minutes on hold and twice I waited 1 hour and 20 minutes. The companies that they hire to fix your problems are the best. They will not replace an appliance even though that is what they are supposed to do if an item can't be fixed, they just keep calling another company to try and fix the problem, even when the contractor tells them the item needs replaced. Do not use this company it is a complete waste of money!

Original review: June 25, 2017

Going to make this short. HSA price was $51.00 now $70.00. With no explanation why. Fridge went out on Friday. Was set up with the AC Guys which upon calling them Saturday and Sunday to find out they are closed. Plus on website they say they are open 24 hours? No mention of working on a fridge on website? Thanks HSA! Called HSA several times only to be put on hold for a hour. Called back today only to be hung up on after waiting 30 minutes. Finally upon getting a live operator (good luck with that too) I was told someone else with HSA would be calling me shortly. Two hours later nothing.

Now I have to call another time to even get a answer on why I got hit with a 40% price increase. Will reply back when if ever they call back. Years ago had a warranty on a rental. Same old story with even the tech telling me that the company told them to band aid the problem. After numerous techs not fixing the problem and one honest tech telling me it needed a new ac unit they still refused to fix the unit. I ended up buying a new unit and giving up because it was obvious they weren't going to fix the problem. Seems this is a norm upon reading the reviews here.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Always a technicality. Need a new part, wait 4 weeks. That part doesn't work, another 4 weeks. The repair people hate HSA and give horrible service. HSA does nothing except assign new, horrible repair people to replace the ones that don't call you back. This is a huge, horrible rip-off. Average hold time is 45 minutes to get an agent and 75% of the problems you experience require a call to customer service. This is hell, HSA stockholders should be publicly stoned. This is Hell. Absolute hell.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Bought a new home recently. It came with a "Home Warranty" through HSA for a full year. I thought, "Ok, this is nice." However, I never envisioned on having to use it this quickly. The A/C went out overnight. We called and set up a service request with HSA. No big deal, that part was easy. We received a follow-up with the "vendor" they chose (Freedom Heating & Cooling) along with their contact information. We received a follow-up email, detailing the appointment time (same day, between 8pm and midnight). Weird time, but whatever. It has now been over 5 days with no notice or any attempt at communication. I have called my realtor, who had a number for an actual person at HSA, and the best she could do was tell me "Good luck, wait until Monday". The vendor has gone MIA, and HSA is a 45 minute wait time with an automatic hangup. I would stay far away from HSA, especially after reading all of these claim issues.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have had HSA for a couple of years and I can tell you, dealing with them when you have a problem is a PITA (Pain in the Ass). Their technicians (subcontractors) will show up and diagnose the problem, but that's when the problems start. HSA will try to make the cheapest (least expensive) repair they can perform. In other words, they do as little as possible to fix the actual problem. I had a microwave that had its generator repaired 3x, the last repair almost causing a kitchen fire. They eventually replaced it after 55 phone calls and follow-ups. Problem #2 Roof leak, on 5-year old property, they refused to fix because I used my own contractor (which they endorsed).

Problem #3. The technician came out to repair the dishwasher, the intermittent problem was dismissed, $75 charge, the problem not solved. Had to go buy another dishwasher at my expense. Problems #4/#5 A/C unit not cooling. Technician came out, tested systems, said I had a leak and low refrigerant, added 4 lbs freon - paid $75 not fixed. Came back 6 months later, same issue. 42 phone calls later, still not fixed. Bottom line: Do not waste your $$$ money on home warranties. Save your money in useless home warranties. If it breaks, get it fixed on your own, because sure as hell, HSA will not fix it!!! You'll just waste your time on hold and calling them back.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I had heard that HSA had a bad reputation for squirming out of paying claims. My suspicions have apparently been affirmed. I bought the house in March and the seller agreed to provide a one-year home warranty; giving me what I thought was peace of mind against unforeseen first-year expenses. So the 20 year old air conditioning stopped blowing cold air. Redeemed Heating and Cooling in Springfield (their vendor) responded and told me in 2 minutes of looking at the outside 20 year-old unit, it had failed due to animal urine. Not that the age of the unit had anything to do with it.

So HSA rejects the claim saying that the failure of the unit was not due to "normal" wear and tear. How hilarious is this. A 20 year-old air conditioning unit that has sat outside in the miserable heat of 20 summers and frigid cold of 20 winters, acidic rain, etc., finally bit the dust because an animal peed on it a few times in its life. Thanks for nothing HSA. Somewhere there is a scam here. I certainly plan on writing reviews to anyone that will listen. I will let the realtor know that HSA is only interested in first year, uninformed new home buyers and certainly not keeping anyone's business long term.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I requested service for my 20+ year old faucet that had a broken sprayer that pulled completely off the hose. The warranty company sent Hometown Rooter plumber Joe ** 412-896-3595 who came in at 7 am (appt was 8-11am), immediately requested my $100 service fee, took a photo of the make and model of my faucet and left within 3 minutes stating the store where the faucet had to be ordered doesn't open until 9 am and he would be back. Within 2 hrs I received a call from HSA denying my claim because of misusage. I was outraged and asked if HSA even had photos of the condition of my faucet which they replied no. I requested a 2nd opinion with another contractor in the HSA approved list and was told there would be another $100 service fee in the event the next contractor found misuse.

Nussbaumer Plumbing came next for the 2nd opinion and did a more thorough inspection as well as take photos of the condition and covered the loss with HSA as normal wear and tear which I expected. Todd from Nussbaumer Plumbing was great, very professional and I recommend him to anyone. HSA however were awful and quick to deny my claim based on no photos, and the opinion of another awful contractor, Hometown Rooter who appeared only to be interested in collecting $100 within 3 minutes and never doing any work. I don't recommend Hometown Rooter to anyone and please beware of any scams with this plumber from Hometown.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I had a plumber out for an unrelated issued, one that I paid for myself. The plumber took me to the basement and pointed out leaky, corroded pipes and HVAC tubes that were corroded. He had to fix to of the pipes while he was there as they had started to cause rot on a structural beam. He stated that this is going to be a massive issue and needs rectified and recommended replacing the pipes now. HSA sent a plumber and said they would call to discuss. They never did. I called multiple times, waited over 30 minutes most times to speak to someone.

They explained that this was not covered as there is not active leaks. I explained that I have pictures of active leaks and explained the 2 areas were fixed and asked to provide proof of the existence of active leaks (pictures of the rot on rust on the floor from leaks that were addressed). They again explained they would not cover it as the plumber they sent just said it would be a future problem but not one now. I again explained that my warranty covers active leaks (which I currently have multiples of) and corrosion (which even their plumber documented the existence of).

They kept giving me the same robotic response. I asked multiple times to speak to someone that was capable of making an informed discussion and asked for a second opinion. The only option that I received was to send another one of their plumbers out and they would again charge me another service fee, "To get the same response we already have," their words. I have yet to receive a call from anyone. I have emailed them multiple times, called multiple times (I am currently on the phone with them now and have been on for 32 minutes).

Every time I call the waiting music stops at 10 min and then the line goes silent. Sounds like I am getting connected to someone but they are staying muted waiting for me to hang up. In addition to my plumbing issues I had an exhaust vent that went out - this would have cost 75 for them to come out and fix, I purchased a top of the line one for $40 and fixed it myself and my garage door spring broke and they would not cover this either. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST. They have been rude, misleading, unprofessional and unresponsive.

After I encountered my issues I researched them online, wish I would have prior to choosing them. This company has a proven track record of all of the issues I have encountered. I typically do not write complaint issues as I am in customer service myself and understand that there are 2 side to every story. But I am writing this hoping that this will help other make an informed decision prior to choosing HSA as their warranty provider. I hope someone from this company reads this review and attempts to resolve my issue. I will update this if they do, but again I am very doubtful as all my attempts have been ignored. UPDATE... currently 40 minutes on the phone waiting for someone to pick up, on a silent line... but I guess I should be used to this by now. :-)

Original review: May 23, 2017

We had a boiler and a sump pump fail on the same weekend. Without the broken boiler, our heating system wouldn't work and it was 40 degrees outside. With two young children in the house, it an emergency problem that needed to be fixed right away. HSA kept us on hold for half an hour and told us they wouldn't have anyone fix the boiler for two days. When our sump pump failed, our basement flooded and again we were kept on hold for half an hour and even with 1/2" of water in our basement, we were told we wouldn't have service for 24 hours. The representative who sold our realtor the policy was dismissive and unpleasant. I highly discourage anyone from buying a product from this company.

Original review: May 19, 2017

What a rip off this company is. I called for a repair in my garage door. Was told I could pay the 75.00 service fee to the vendor directly. They came, diagnosed problem of the springs (the most likely problem to happen with your garage door) and of course springs are not covered by the plan. A month later I get a bill from HSA. I tell them I already paid the 75 which is right on my receipt. They say the company says they did not collect it and I have to pay them. End of story. No negotiations. No asking to see my receipt. This is a scam. This "cost saving" plan is costing more money in the long run.

Home Security America Company Information