2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Home Security America, commonly known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Get a quote online or over the phone to see what the company covers, what riders or add-ons are available and how much a contract costs. HSA serves 25 states, and its customer service line is open 24/7.

BOTTOM LINE

HSA's home warranty options are straightforward. If you're interested, first make sure it operates in your state, then decide if HSA's coverage and pricing work for you.

PROS

• Easy quote process
    • Helpful online resources
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Limited availability

Top Home Security America Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

We bought our home almost 10 yrs ago in an area we knew very little about. The previous owner added HSA home warranty. ... They have the contractors who are very dependable and on time. HSA has saved us so much time and aggravation, of trying to find reliable and dependable contractors.

We received this home warranty when we purchased our home. When the first year was over we were given an option to extend. ...about a month after renewing our furnace broke. HSA was quick to respond and got us a new furnace within 2 days. It was a great experience. ... I definitely recommend.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is Home Security America?

Home Security America, also known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Home warranties are service contracts that cover the repair costs for home appliances and systems when they break down.

HSA’s service process is simple:

1. The customer places a service request online or calls the 24/7 customer service line.
      2. HSA assigns a local service professional to the job.
      3. The service professional contacts the customer to schedule an appointment.
      4. The service professional repairs or replaces the broken system or appliance, and HSA takes care of the bill. The customer pays a service call fee.

Home Security America serves the following states: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Home Security America coverage

Coverage varies by state, but our sample quote for a one-year plan on a home in Illinois covered the following:

Plumbing
      • Water heaters and instant hot water dispensers
      • Plumbing parts and primary sump pumps
      • Routing of drain line stoppages
      • Water, gas, drain and waste lines
      • Polybutylene leaks
      • Toilet tanks, bowls and wax ring seals
      • Whirlpool bathtubs
      • Water heater sediment removal
      Heating and air conditioning
      • Central heat
      • Central air, heat pumps
      • Thermostats
      • Ductwork
      • Ceiling fans
      • Interior attic and exhaust fans
      • Central vacuums
      Appliances
      • Ovens, stovetops and ranges
      • Built-in microwave ovens
      • Trash compactors, dishwashers and garbage disposals
      • Garage door openers
      • Burglar alarms
      • Fire alarms
      • Doorbell systems
      Miscellaneous
      • Rekeying (up to six keyholes and four identical keys)
      • Failures due to lack of maintenance
      • Failures due to rust and corrosion

Home Security America cost

HSA home warranty costs vary widely. Annual premiums for standard plans range from $195 to $619. The service call fee, which you pay for each repair, falls between $75 and $100. Our quote for a sample home in Illinois was $505 for one year and $100 per service call.

Our sample plan in Illinois also listed 11 potential coverage add-ons:

• Pool and hot tub combination: $175
      • Water softener: $40
      • 7 Star Upgrade (for more coverage): $149

Home Security America FAQ

Does HSA Home Warranty require home inspections?
      No, you can purchase a home warranty from HSA without a home inspection.
      Are HSA home warranties transferable?
      Yes. If you sell your home while it’s still under HSA warranty, coverage transfers to the new owner. You just need to contact HSA to make sure everything transfers correctly.
      Is HSA’s customer service available 24/7?
      Yes, you can contact HSA’s customer service at any time of day.
      Does HSA choose the service contractor?
      Yes, HSA chooses the contractor, who then sets up an appointment with the customer needing service.

Is Home Security America worth it?

Home Security America might be worth it for consumers looking to protect their home’s appliances and systems. Prices in some areas are steep, but there are affordable options, too. If HSA doesn’t provide coverage in your state or its prices are too high for your budget, we recommend comparing quotes from other highly rated home warranty companies.

Home Security America Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I've had HSA home warranty for 15 years. It was provided by the seller for 1 year and I decided to continue with it. I have made 3 claims in 15 years. I called to schedule a service call and they set me up with a company that has terrible reviews. So I asked for a different company to come out (of their choice) but I was refused. Every call I have made to them in 2 days I was put on hold or should I say ignore for hours! I called for the last time and was going to cancel my warranty since it is up for renewal but was transferred numerous times after each representative told me I was being transferred to the cancellation department but I never made it there. I never had this problem before. I've always spoke to someone in the USA not overseas. This is a very unfair practice for a loyal customer and for anyone who is a customer! I would give minus 10 stars if possible! I'm finished with hsa!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

If you like to wait on hold long hours, have a major language barrier in communication, and have a company basically not cover anything, then this is the place for you. I needed a shower drain basin replacement which was not covered. Found out the only plumbing thing they cover is drywall. Had a separate issue with a leak over the front door that ended up being a siding issue, which guess what? Was not covered. It’s more expensive and covers less than the very first company I found besides them.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

This company is AWFUL...if I could give it 0 stars I would. Since we moved into our new home a month ago, our refrigerator has been broken. Not exactly the type of appliance you want to live without. The previous owners bought a warranty with HSA and so we have no choice but to use them. We have had calls in which we've waited on hold for over 2 hours. The repair people they keep on container in our area have inflexible schedules and could not service the refrigerator for 1 week.

When the repair company finally came, they had to order a part from HSA which didn't arrive for 8 days. The diagnosis from the company which HSA assigned us was incorrect. We are now waiting (again, ONE MONTH after moving into our new home) with no word from HSA on when they will be sending the 2nd part to the repair company. My husband just waited on hold for an, spoke with a representative, who then put him on hold for ANOTHER hour. A company like this should not be allowed to operate! Or at least forced to hire more call service reps! The most frustrating part is we had NO CHOICE in which home warranty company we have to use!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

On 6-11-20 I submitted a claim online for my washing machine, a service call was scheduled for 6-17-20. The service technician stated the unit was nonrepairable and that we would hear from HSA in 1-3 business days to start the replacement process. After day three I had not heard from HSA. I called and after a forty-minute wait finally got through to a representative and was told I would receive and e-mail in 3-5 business days. I received the e-mail to start the order process for a new washing machine.

I had a Maytag Bravo machine and was looking for a comparable unit. I did some research to see which of the wash machines HSA offered were close since the Maytag Bravo was not an option. There were three wash machines I felt were close but still not as good as the Bravo. I selected my first choice, item not available. I selected my second choice, item not available, I selected my third choice item not available. Every other option was sub par. I then decided to see what the cash option was. The cash option was purchase the unit of your choice send in your receipt and you will be mailed a check for the cash out option which in this case was 489.75.

On June 25th I submitted my receipt for a new washer for 674.80 this was the same Maytag Bravo brand. I received an automatic reply that I would receive a reimbursement check in 7-10 business days. After 10 days I had not received a check, I called HSA numerous times and after 30-40 minutes on hold gave up. One day I was on hold for 2hours and 12 minutes and still was unable to get a hold of a representative. Over the 3 days I called and called and finally decided to wait until I was able to speak to someone, this also was over a two hour wait. I was told a check was cut on July 5th and I should be receiving it soon.

I finally received the check the first week of August and it was dated July 24th. The customer service reps at this company are terrible, they do not listen to your concern and always use scripted responses, I'm sure they are reading from their computer screen. After spending over 20 hours on hold with this company along with the lack of customer service and the loss I took on the wash machine which should have been able to be replaced, they were unable to fulfill their end of the contract I decided to cancel my contract.

Now add insult to injury my contract expires in March of 2021. There is a 50.00 administration fee if you cancel early. I asked because of all of the time spent and the challenges I had working with HSA if this fee could be waived. The rep said she did not have the authority to do that. I asked to talk to a manager or supervisor and was told she could request via e-mail that one reach out to me within 24-48 hours.

On 8-16-20 I have yet to hear from anyone. There is absolutely no way I can recommend this company. It's obvious they do not have enough employees manning the phones, the scripted response only makes the situation worse, the time it takes to resolve an issue is far from timely. Save yourself a lot of time and frustration and do not contract with HSA. Please note HSA is a subsidiary of American Home Shield. Do not be fooled by this.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

The customer service is horrible and they will waste hours of your time. They do not vet the contractors they provide. Waited on hold almost 20 minutes where the call was then transferred to another department where I waited another 20 minutes until the call was dropped. Have to now recall and wait another 20 minutes to start the process over. They hire the cheapest contractors to fix the work. I am trying to get a roof fixed, they sent a contractor who stated he fixed it. The next day it started leaking worse as he just rerouted the leak to another area.

I followed up with another service and he then stated he does not work on metal roofs and couldn't fix it. He stated to call HSA, HSA then sent my request back to him to fix. So I now have to spend another hour on the phone. Their operators do not know how to resolve request and there are not online tools to fix it. I also paid HSA a service charge to send a contractor who wasn't qualified and didn't fix it, and now have to pay another service charge for have it attempted again.

Original review: July 28, 2020

DO NOT BUY a warranty through these people. I'm on my 36th day of no refrigerator, I've wasted so much time between HSA and the contractor fighting with them for a solution. I finally just bought an new one and I'm canceling this service. I can't describe how frustrating this process has been. You are never allowed to talk to anyone else besides the "customer service" rep who is trained to say "I understand" or "I'm so sorry". Obviously not sorry enough to help and fix the problem THAT I AM PAYING YOU TO DO! Buying a new fridge was not what I wanted to do, but the only way out of this nightmare. Again, DO NOT BUY!

Original review: July 27, 2020

Horrible customer service and none of the rep speak English. I placed an order on the evening of 7.5.20 to have my hvac repaired. I never heard anything about from anyone regarding the status the following day. I called the next day and she advised they received my order and someone will get back with me. I called again and each time it was 30 minutes to an hour hold time. Each time I get some on the phone they can't speak English, I was not able to understand them. I asked for a supervisor and got hung up on instead.

I finally got a hold of the company HSA use & no availability until Friday a week away. I live in north Carolina and the weather is 90+ each day. I requested another vendor and was told someone would get back to me. Today is the 8th of July and no call back, nothing. They allowed me to stay in my home in scorching heat and no air conditioning for a week. No call back. No follow up. Nothing. This company is horrible and the customer service is absolutely unacceptable. They finally sent a technician out, the first guy tried to get in my attic without a proper ladder and he fell on my dryer and dented it all up. A supervisor had to come & finish his job. I have air now, but brand new dryer was destroyed!!!

Original review: July 20, 2020

Requesting a contractor (and taking my money) was quick and easy. The contractor that came to my home advised me to call HSA because they were notoriously bad about follow up. I called more than once because of outrageous hold times. Once I finally got someone I was on the phone (and on hold) for more than 3 hours. I had to hang up because I had work-related phone calls. I still have no resolution to my issue nor do I have any way to provide feedback to the company or escalate this issue.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have been going round and round with this company on the repair/replacement of a washing machine since April! After over 4 weeks of "repair" service attempts, they finally agreed to replace. My options were to order an appliance directly from HSA, order an "upgrade" from HSA and pay the difference, or take an allotment and purchase myself. It made more sense to order directly, however of the 25 models presented to me, NOT ONE, was available. Due to the COVID pandemic, my local stores did not have available units.

After several weeks, one did come available with HSA and I ordered immediately. That was a month ago, and the delivery company shows ZERO records/orders submitted by HSA to them. And when you log into your "account" there is NO RECORD of the appliance replacement order. The shipping/delivery company representative stated that she has DAILY complaints/calls from home warranty consumers who are getting the runaround. That is very telling.

I typically spend 1+ hour on hold waiting for a representative. However I have waited for as long as 2 HOURS and 20 MINUTES for a call to be responded to. I would not recommend this company at all. The only reason that I have them is because it was part of my home purchase. I did not have a choice in the company as it was seller purchased, but would highly recommend that if anyone has a choice, to RUN AWAY. Not worth the money! Also, my credit card has been charged for the disposal fee of the old machine, which is still in my house!

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have been a customer for 16 years. Until it was bought by American Home Shield it was OK. After acquisition service got worse. They will keep both you and the technician on the phone for such a long time it makes it not worth loss of your time. Good reputable contractors will not be willing to deal with them, therefore you will get second rate companies with lesser technicians who may not diagnose the problem correctly, will not fix it right away and it will cost you more in form of money, wasted time and aggravation. I even think it is their business model to waste so much of your time and energy that you will fix the problem outside of warranty using your own funds.

Home Security America Company Information