Protect What Matters Most

Compare Quotes
  2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Home Security America Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I'm sorry I can't leave zero stars. Here's my experience with HSA: I realized I had an electrical problem, so I decided to put in a claim. I went to their website, where I couldn't submit a claim because their site said my policy didn't exist. Ok, I'll just call. After over 45 MINUTES, I finally got an operator. I let her know about my problem. "I'm sorry sir, I can't help you with that problem, but I'll make a note of it."

Anyway, after a few days it finally gets fixed, and I'm able to file a claim online. I'm contacted by an electric company who is only in my area 3 days a week, and who gives me a 5 HOUR window time (who do they think they are, a cable company??) in which they'll be there. So, I change my schedule to make sure I'm home for 5 HOURS. 3:00 comes. Then 4:00. Then 5:00. Then 6:00. 7:00. 8:00. That's 5 HOURS. No call. No show. I wish I was joking, but I'm not. This company is an absolute joke, and I imagine they won't be around long. Get your home warranty from LITERALLY anywhere else but here.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have tried to contact them repeatedly in order to demand a refund for their “coverage”. We had 2 unrelated clogs that a plumber “tried” unsuccessfully to fix by snaking them. I later received a phone call saying that the only way to fix the issue was to do extensive work that would not be covered and would run $1200 for the plumbing alone, not to mention the tile and plaster work that would have needed to be done afterwards. I called another plumber and within MINUTES he had fixed both problems. This cost $250. They will be receiving a certified letter, demanding both a refund for my coverage and reimbursement for the plumbing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have nothing good to say about HSA. Their contract is vague at best, so that when they send someone out they can easily deny service. It took hours to get ahold of someone on the phone and I still have not received a call back from their "manager". I had a very old toilet with a snapped off ball-cock that my husband tried to replace on his own with a new system.

Unfortunately he isn't handy and could not fix it on our own, which is when we called HSA. I had to call the contractor after 2 days without them calling me to schedule, and it wasn't until a week later that someone was scheduled to come out. He walked into the house, looked at the toilet for about 10 seconds and left saying he wouldn't cover it. I had to call another company to fix the toilet for over $1000. HSA's reason is that the toilet was not properly installed. Had I known that, I would have put everything back together. The contract is not clear and I didn't think that taking off some parts would result in it not being "properly installed". They will also not refund my $100 service fee for the total of one minute that the plumber was out at the house. I would NEVER pay for this warranty! Worst customer service ever!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We had purchased our house in December of 2015 and we were gifted the HSA with our new home. No problems the first year, we always paid our deductible before they came out and they came out to house a few times for plumbing, pilot light and sewer work. This past year (2018) we have had nothing but problems with our billing. We have always paid a month ahead and more than we needed to. The last couple months they have been billing us for what we don't owe and I have had to call every time.

Today I called because they say we owe X amount and they can't switch our billing till they get the X amount from us to switch it to monthly billing. We have always paid monthly and now we have problems with them. We will be disconnecting our service from them and the worst part is that the extra money we paid each month they did not credit our account at all, they pretty much pocketed that extra money. We technically don't owe anything to them, but they say we do. Very disappointed in this company and we have been with them for three years now. But not anymore.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I called this HSA to look at my furnace because the pilot light was continually trying to light. They sent someone out who took only a few minutes to look at the furnace before saying that nothing was wrong and that it is normal for a pilot light to try to continually light. I had a second company (non-HSA contracted) come out for a second opinion. This technician stated that my heat exchanger was in very poor condition and that the pilot light should not be doing this. This second opinion recommended a new furnace due to safety concerns. I contacted HSA and told them about the discrepancy in reports. After being on the phone with them for over an hour, they disconnected the line. It seemed as if the customer service agent on the other line did not understand me and was trying to figure out which scripted response to give. I asked to talk to someone else, who then said she couldn't help so she would transfer me again. This is when the call ended.

I used the online chat feature and the rep was polite and helpful. He set up a contractor to come out for a second opinion (because they would not take the one from the company they are not contracted with). When the HSA second opinion person came out he found cracks in my heat exchanger, frays in whatever wires are in the furnace, and several issues with the pilot light. He legally had to turn off my furnace and recommend not using it before leaving my house for safety reasons. I called HSA back again. The lady on the phone was rude and not helpful. She did not seem concerned that at this point the furnace is a safety issue and was unwilling to work cooperatively. I am not only unhappy with the process of HSA, but also with the customer service that was offered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I purchased my home in 2017 and the one year HSA warranty was my agent's gift to me. I first called for service last summer for my minor plumbing issue. I am convinced the plumber was on drugs. Thankfully, the dispatcher served as the problem solver and I accepted the bribe of not posting a scathing, albeit, truthful review in exchange for their heartfelt apologies. Thankfully, it wasn't until another year that I needed their service again, this time for a kitchen plumber. I called, paid the service fee and a plumber never arrived. I was erroneously billed twice for service never rendered. I called HSA, had the refund placed onto my credit account, a different plumber and different company (STAY AWAY FROM BEST WAY MECHANICAL) arrived, performed an amazing service and earned a lifelong customer. Later, I was sent to collections by HSA.

At this point, my level of passivity has escalated to a blood boiling high. After requesting validation, they updated my account and I called for a tech to service my downstairs heating unit. First, he didn't arrive within the promised window, so we had to reschedule. He arrived on time to troubleshoot and discover he didn't have the part available. After scheduling a third visit, I took off from work to ensure there would be no possibility of us missing each other, except this time he never arrived. He was scheduled to come between noon and 4:00pm. From 4:30pm until 11:00pm, the tracker would say he was 1 hour and 11 minutes away. I called and texted and never received a reply back, nor update. I caution everyone, do not waste your time with this inept poor excuse of a company!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

After coming back from vacation on Thanksgiving Eve found our hot water heater had busted. Ruining part of our kitchen floor. Not thinking because a hot water heater is a must have in winter time we went and bought another one because we didn't call HSA first and let them send a plumber out on Thanksgiving. Was told they would not refund my money. Lady on phone was very rude.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Please, save yourself time, money, and frustration. I have been a customer with this company for five years. The first 3 years were awesome. Great, prompt service. There must have been some kind of change at the corporate level, however, because the last 2 years have been horrible. They send a technician who has to order parts through HSA. The wait for parts is unreasonable -- several months to almost a year. The orders get placed on backorder and unless you constantly call, remind, and nag, the repair never gets completed. This happened with a dishwasher repair, a washing machine repair, and a refrigerator repair. Sorry, HSA, but three strikes and you're out. You need to get a handle on customer service instead of banking my money each month with no follow through. Sad.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Our furnace is out and they are currently doing system maintenance. Have been calling all day. Was told to call back later. It’s winter in Wisconsin and I have no furnace. They gladly took my payment yesterday but now when I need service no one can help me. All I’m told is "I’m sorry. Call back later." What are we supposed to do in an Emergency? I’ve given them thousands of dollars only to need assistance and told to try again later. Terrible business practice. You’d think they’d have a backup plan.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Called on morning of 10/4 due to ac not running. Was told they would research a vendor. After numerous calls Fri and Sat, was told they could not find a company and authorized me to call my own. Great tech came out and diagnosed the problem, called authorizations and gave then the estimate to repair or replace. He agreed to use their parts.

I was called an hour later by HSA authorizations department and was told his process were ridiculous. They offered me $1800 to go away or I could agree to let their network vendor that was miraculously just found do the work. I agreed to let HSA'S company handle it. THEY could not come out until Monday, and had to perform the same diagnostic all over again. They found the same issues and recommended replacement. This went back to HSA research.

On Wed I received an email saying "congrats" you have been approved for a replacement. Out will only cost you an additional $750. I Called HSA to ask why, and I was told due to the upgrade because they were replacing parts within my unit, read not a new unit. I told them that made no sense as I had an email stating they were replacing the unit with a lousy of charges, I what through then with the rep and asked why three were being added on. I was told then because the work cost $2200 to complete and these were outside of the contact.

I called twice Wed evening spending a total of 2 hours on hold waiting to speak to a supervisor to explain the charges. I was buying up on twice, and was told to call the service provider so they could explain why my HSA warranty did not cover their items (all conveniently round numbers). I was asked by customer service while waiting to speak to a supervisor why I was calling after they said to replace the unit. I told them because they want to charge me $750 for a $2200 repair. I would have been went ahead taking the $1800 to start.

Still no answers and I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for a supervisor to call me. Meanwhile no heat pump and temp is dropping tomorrow; here's hoping my young kids enjoy the camping experience. HSA homie you contacts and stop the runaround. Simple. I have had Choice Home Warranty for the past 4 years and they are great. HVAC failing in a home I bought 6 weeks ago is why I have you to behind with No? If you are considering HSA run far and run fast!

Home Security America Company Information