1.2/5 (251 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About HSA Home Warranty

Home Security America, commonly known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Get a quote online or over the phone to see what the company covers, what riders or add-ons are available and how much a contract costs. HSA serves 25 states, and its customer service line is open 24/7.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you

Pros

• Easy quote process
    • Helpful online resources
    • Affordable options

Cons

• Limited availability

Bottom Line

HSA's home warranty options are straightforward. If you're interested, first make sure it operates in your state, then decide if HSA's coverage and pricing work for you.

HSA Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSA Home Warranty?

Original review: June 23, 2020

We have been without A/C for 4.5 wks now. I have Respiratory issues & asthma. I've called in 5 times to the main 800# looking for someone to either connect me direct to the Cash out Dept. or give me the Cash Out Dept's. direct #. I'm still waiting. They consistently fail to give me the # or have a Supervisor call me. That has been happening now for 6 days. I've spent daily up to 4 hrs on hold. The Service Technician, which took 2 wks for him to show up has recommended we replace both the Condensor Coil & the Compressor, as both leak. We had this same Technician come out last summer for the same issue, so we have paid 2 service calls in a yr's time for the same problem. Another Technician stated the system is a sealed system & should have been ordered to he replaced last yr. instead of a bandaid.

The 1st call was simply a temporary fix never fixing the problem. The call I did get from HSA advised they are authorizing 100% of both the labor & equipment costs. Yet their only paying 40% of what any one contractor has quoted for equipment & labor. Even the Service Technician they sent out says the total is $4060. to replace the equipment & labor. We have a 5k limit per equipment per our contract. Yet HSA is only paying 1,900 expecting us to pay the other 2160 for similar equipment that is actually a subpar brand to the brand we currently have. I want HSA Cash Out Dept. to explain why they're not covering the full cost of replacement and let us hire our own Technician & reimburse us for the $1900 or more.

I need to speak to the Cash out Dept. ASAP. We've paid for a Home Warranty from HSA for 7 yrs. I never will recommend anyone deal w/ HSA. they use the subpar techs for HVAC as HSA doesnt pay them well so the Techs add in extra uncovered charges. No one can replace a Condenser & Coil for $1,900. We need action! To be able to get Cash Out Dept to call us. Never again!

Jill

Original review: June 18, 2020

We have had an HSA warranty for over 10 years. We pay the monthly premium and the service fee every time a service request is placed. On a few occasions, things have gone smoothly and the repair is done in a timely manner. Most times, however, this is not the case. HSA uses the huge costs of AC repair in their advertising as being the main reason to purchase a home warranty. They, however, have no intention of ever replacing an AC unit that needs replacement. Our AC started having issues about 5 years ago. We have paid to have it "fixed" at least twice a year since then. The repair men who have come out have repeatedly recommended replacement because they know the bandaids they are putting on won't hold. HSA has never authorized it but, instead, will only pay for parts (that normally take 2-3 weeks to get).

May 5, 2020, the AC unit again stopped working. We paid the service request and the contractor, Redeemed Heating and Air, came out within 2 days. They diagnosed the problem (a part that had already been replaced in recent repairs) but said it would take 3 weeks for the part to get in. 3 weeks later, they came and installed the new part. That same day, the AC stopped again. I called Redeemed and asked them to come back out and they said they couldn't come back out for 6 days and I would have to call HSA to have a "Recall" put in to authorize them to come back out. EVERY time I have to call in to HSA, I'm on hold at least 45 minutes (no, that's not an exaggeration) before I can speak with someone, so it always stinks to have to make that call.

When a rep finally answers, I explain the situation and how 6 days to come fix it is unacceptable since it's already been almost a month without AC, so I request for them to send a different contractor to come out who can get to us in the next few days. He says he has to confirm with Redeemed that they can't get to us within 48 hours, but, at this point, it's 5:10 and Redeemed is closed. I explain that I had already called them and that's what they told me but he can't take my word for it and must talk to them himself. He says he'll have to call back tomorrow to confirm that they can't get us in. I ask that instead of me calling in and waiting 45 minutes again, could he call me back when he confirms with the contractor? He agrees and promises he will do that. The next day comes and goes and I don't receive a call.

I call back the following day and, 45 minutes later, finally get to speak with another rep. I explain AGAIN what is going on and he again tells me he has to confirm with Redeemed. I don't know why they can't take my word for it, but they treat customers like lying idiots. He puts me on hold so he can call Redeemed. I hold, and hold, and hold. After being on the phone for 1 hr and 32 minutes, I have to accept the fact that he is never coming back. So, I hang up and dial HSA AGAIN. 45 minutes later, I am again explaining to another service rep the situation except this time, I am adamant that I not be placed on hold and that they just get me a new contractor. Of course, in the same breath that she says she will definitely "help me out with my issue" says she will just need to place me on hold to confirm with the contractor that they can't get me in. I swear these reps don't actually understand English and are reading off a script.

I finally accept defeat and agree to be put on hold again. After 10 minutes, she comes back on and confirms what I had been telling her the entire time, except now they can't get us in until the 11th!! So, I explain that that's ridiculous and I'd like another contractor. She tells me they don't have another contractor who can come so she can just place me in a queue that contractors can pick me up when they have an opening. Um, so your solution to get me a repair faster is to put me on a list with an indefinite contractor and an indefinite appointment time? Obviously, that doesn't thrill me so I ask if I can choose my own contractor since they don't have one, and she refuses, even though the contract states that that is in fact how it should go. I ask to speak with a supervisor and she actually has the audacity to not only say that's not possible but then she asks me why!

I give a very quick run down of why I feel like I need to speak with a supervisor and she says she will put me on hold to check if one is available. She immediately puts me on hold and after a few clicks the call ends. I am ready to SCREAM at this point and decide to just forget dealing with HSA and accept the fact that no one there cares and I am just stuck with waiting until June 11 to get the AC repaired. June 11th comes, and no one shows up. I call Redeemed to ask why no one came and she informs me that HSA sent out an email on the 6th cancelling the appointment. So, they cancelled the appointment but never got another contractor to replace them. So I am back at square one.

I literally want to cry at this point, but instead pick up the phone and wait 52 minutes this time to get to speak with someone. This time a very pleasant rep comes on and apologizes for the stress and has no problem getting me a new contractor. She assigns Premier and they are able to come out 2 days later. They find that what was wrong with the AC was actually a bad coil and that this had obviously been a problem for a long time (so all those other $75 service calls I paid for were a waste). They tell me they will get in the diagnosis to the approval department ASAP. I wait all day Sunday and Monday and hear nothing from either company, so I call Premier and she explains that HSA's phones had been down all day so she wasn't able to submit the diagnosis and they aren't allowed to order parts or do any repairs until they've received permission to continue from HSA.

I call HSA, and, of course, 45 min later, get to explain the situation again to a new rep who tells me the phones aren't down and she can't do anything except to send Premier an email explaining the different ways that they can submit a diagnosis for repair approval (including fax). Apparently, the reps I can speak to have absolutely no way of getting in touch with the approval department. So, I wait all day Tuesday and call Premier again and they, again, insist they didn't get an email and that the phones are still down. So, I call HSA back again. This time, I wait 55 minutes to speak to someone. They again insist that the phones are working but they have no way of getting the approval dept. to move on the diagnosis or contact Premier. So Premier can't move until getting approval from a department that refuses to even answer their phones, I realize that I am out of options and ask to speak to a supervisor again.

I explain that I was hung up on last time I requested this and he assured me, he would stay on the line until a supervisor picked up. He actually did. 3 HOURS LATER, I FINALLY got to speak with a supervisor (I have taken a screenshot of all these phone calls showing the call time length just because I knew it would seem like exaggeration). After explaining all the details, he apologizes and says he understands my frustration and is sad that I've had to go through all this. He explains, however, that other than sending an email to the approval department to ask them to reach out to Premier to get the diagnosis, his hands are tied and he can't do anything for me. He offers to refund the $75 service fee and I explain that instead I would much rather him just follow through with the email and with Premier making sure that I don't have to call back again to make the two companies cooperate with each other.

He insists that he will do that and will also refund the service fee. I thank him for the gesture and breath a sigh of relief knowing that this whole ordeal would be coming to an end. That relief was very short lived because the next day came and went and I heard nothing from either company. Today, I tried calling Premier and they won't answer the phone. I texted them requesting a status update and three hours later, have still heard nothing. I am getting ready to call HSA again but am feeling so defeated and frustrated that I decided writing a review for LITERALLY the worst company I have ever had to deal with, might be more productive than calling, being put on hold for at least 45 minutes, promised I would be taken care of, and discovering I've been lied to again and again and again. It's a cycle that I have no idea what to do about. I'm at a loss.

The worst part of all of this is I (a 38 year old woman) am not the one having to live in the home with no AC. It's my parents who are in poor health and in their late 70's who have been sleeping on the couch sharing a fan for the last 45 days that have been suffering. They actually sit outside all day where it's in the 90's because it's cooler out there than it is in the house. I'm looking at other cooling options like portable ac's and window units because it's unbearable now, but shouldn't have too. The reason I bought this warranty for the house was so we had the peace of mind that these things would be taken care of. I have had other home warranty companies on other homes I've owned and while none of them are perfect, they are all much better than HSA. If you are shopping around, please take my advice: run don't walk away from HSA.

Original review: May 28, 2020

This warranty was part of a new house purchase. I never would have bought from them under any other condition. I have been trying to get an appliance fixed for 3 days. Yesterday they told me a tech would be out between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. today (which is a ridiculous window to make somebody wait). Now here we are at 3 in the afternoon still no contact from the tech and when I call the tax company they have no record of the claim. So my wife's sat at home for 7 hours today for nothing waiting for these idiots to show up. I have now been on hold with HSA's 800 number for 23 minutes. This is by far one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. That lethal combination of incompetence and zero customer service.

Original review: May 28, 2020

This service intentionally makes themselves unavailable. No email address. Incredibly long phone hold times. Can't get hold of anyone. Sorry I've spent money on their poor service. When they do answer, they continually ask to put you on hold again and again.

Original review: April 14, 2020

This is the worst home warranty company I've ever dealt with. They provided us a plumber to replace our water heater who did not properly installed it. A year goes by and we have another plumber here to fix a pilot light issue to which he mentioned that our water heater was not installed properly and is not up to code. Home Security America refuses to fix the problem by continuing to say "we will call you back" or "we cannot get in touch with this company" or a million other excuses. We will not be renewing our plan with them and will smear their name every change I get. I will happily delete my comments once my problem is fixed.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Same as everyone else. We have been without a refrigerator for TWO MONTHS. We are a family of 5, with a newborn baby. Unfortunately the people we bought our home from fell for the HSA scam, and we were hopeful that we would be able to get some results from them when our refrigerator tanked. The contractors have done the same (intense and inconvenient) job three times, and nothing has been fixed. HSA refuses to replace the unit, and says that they need to continue to try to fix it until it is deemed unfixable.. which will be never. I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy dealing with these people, please do not do the same!

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I purchased a home in September with a home warranty thorough HSA. In January the dishwasher stopped working, so I put in a service request with HSA. I was given a 4 hour time slot for the service request. The technician then came to my house an hour earlier than the 4 hour window that HSA gave me so no one was home to let the technician in. I called HSA and was told that it was my fault for not being home during that time and would need to submit another $75 request with HSA to have my dishwasher serviced. There was even a point where the HSA person tried telling me I had the technicians time wrong and it was my fault for not being home during my allotted time slot (while I had my confirmation email with the time slot time stamped in front of me during our call).

Eventually I got another technician scheduled to come out to look at the dishwasher. He told me the dishwasher needed a new part and he’d have it mailed to my house and be back to install It. I received the part in the mail but never received further communication from the technician or HSA. I received an email from HSA letting me know my service had been completed.

I emailed them back to let them know that the service had not been completed, as I had an uninstalled dishwasher part currently sitting next to my broken dishwasher. No response from HSA so I called for the first time to follow up. I was told I needed to call the technician directly and was given a number to call. It was a spam number offering me promotions to cruises and car services. I called HSA back again after and received a different person in the call center. This person told me they reached out to the technician and I would be receiving a phone call from the technician directly within the next 24-36 hours.

After 48 hours of no call from a technician I called again. This time, the person on the call center told me she needed her manager to open me a new ticket for my request. She told me she was working with the manager to get a technician out to my house that day so he would fix the dishwasher. The call center person told me this would take some time but she would call me back that day to fix the dishwasher. This was two days ago. I haven’t received any communication from HSA or a technician since. Long story short, it’s now nearly March and I still don’t have a working dishwasher. I’m most likely going to need to just purchase a new dishwasher because I am out of ideas for getting HSA to service my request. Do not purchase this warranty.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I purchased this home warranty when I purchased my new home two months ago. I was informed they were super helpful, and boy was I told wrong. They charge $100 nonrefundable service fee just to have a technician come out to your home. I was having plumbing issues, and they sent out a plumber who was unable to assist me. I called and asked if they could send out another plumber and I was informed it would be another hundred dollar service fee. I told them the plumber they sent arrived at my house and immediately told me he could not help me and left, and they still did not care and said it would be another hundred dollar charge.

I asked if I could receive a refund since no work was done on my home and I still had the same issues I called about. I was informed the service fee is nonrefundable and they are not able to assist me in any way. They then proceeded to ask if I would like to open another ticket. I informed them that they had the worst customer service I have ever seen and told them they had just lost a customer. I would not recommend this warranty or company to my worst enemy!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Wish I could give negative stars! Bought this warranty when I purchased my new home a few months ago. Paid $80 for fridge service call. Ace appliance was sent, ordered part, came back installed. Problem persisted. They were no show for next scheduled visit. HSA said if I want different co. I’d have to pay another $75. I refused and after a lot of fussing and sitting on hold, they finally gave another company, which never called to schedule. This company is based in New Jersey, I live in Pittsburgh PA.

After 3 hours on the phone they have scheduled again, with the NJ co, that apparently does work out of Pittsburgh but will not give you any contact number other than the NJ number. My fridge has been running at 49-52 degrees for 5 weeks now. Customer service not in the U.S. and no one can provide any phone number to speak to any type of supervisor above the “escalation “ dept at the 800#. I will be on a mission to find a higher supervisor and talk to my real estate agent to convince them to NOT offer this home warranty to any of their future customers! This has been extremely frustrating!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I am so stressed and fed up with HSA and the contractors they assigned us. I put in a claim on July 15, 2019 to have my pool filter fixed. The first contractor they send came after they stood us up on one appointment. They said the motor needs replaced. Two weeks later, I get a call that the guy that looked at our pool left suddenly and was asked to text a picture of the filter so that they can order the parts. Well, a week goes by, nothing. So I text the guy because for some reason they dont have a voicemail set up for their business. He tells me he is waiting for the parts. Well another week goes by, then another. I text again and he tells me the same story.

I call HSA to see what is going on. Turns out the contractor never submitted a work order for the parts. Took me several more calls to finally get me another contractor. I finally get one. He is all nice on the phone, assuring me it will get done. Three weeks later to the day, nothing. I hear nothing from him. I keep calling HSA, where they assure me something will be done, and nothing. I am so fed up. It's been Three Months and nothing fixed and I need to close my pool before it gets colder out.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!! I have a leak in my bathtub going to the kitchen they state that they cannot cover because there's bathtub obstructing them to get to the plumbing... YES, they cannot fix a plumbing issue because there's "an obstruction" on the way. They say it like plumbing is exposed all over the house

and walls cabinets or bathtub would never be an obstruction... To add more they charged $75 copay for the appointment to tell me that they can't fix and won't be covered! They said that the $75 is to cover the diagnostic, this is absolutely ridiculous! BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THIS HOME WARRANTY COMPANY, they write their policy in a way that is almost impossible for them to cover anything, always exceptions on the contract that makes them denying coverage and still charging you the copay for the appointment. COMPLETELY WORTHLESS!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I read a review by "BOB" the Greensburg service provider & it made me extremely upset. Some of what he said is true. You should know what your policy does/does not cover. HOWEVER, during the home buying process - THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. We did not receive our actual policy contract until WEEKS after the close of the home. It's not your policy UNTIL it is paid for & you buy the house, so you dont receive the policy until AFTER that time. All you get is the flowery BROCHURE that assures you everything's covered. And another good point for "Bob" the expert, is: the warranty is not something the buyer is shopping around for to meet their needs. It's portrayed as a benefit to purchasing the particular property in that it will guaranty peace of mind should any issues arise. I didnt pick it myself & fail to read the fine print as "Bob" assumes.

During the negotiation process of the purchase of our home, the agent of the sellers & the sellers themselves assured us that issues we brought up when making the case for our lower than asking offer were "non-issues" since they were offering the home "warranty" & these concerns could easily by covered by that. There was no way that the sellers (or us the buyers) could validate those claims without a policy contract in hand. The brochure that is presented during the home buying process gives the illusion that most everything could be covered. It is not until you receive an actual policy contract (which is not until after the sale) that you can examine the lengthy exclusion clauses. Skip to the bottom to read my conclusions & skip over my personal experiences.

Now my personal experience: I've called HSA 3 times now for separate service issues upon purchase of a home that came with the "warranty". ALL 3 times the service providers who came to the home, COMPLAINED to me personally that they hate working for HSA & that customer reps are hard to deal with as they don't speak fluent English. This is true. My husband is of foreign descent & I am familiar with accents etc. I can BARELY make out what the reps are saying over the phone & they read from customer service prompts constantly instead of having a real conversation with you.

For the $75 that I paid EACH time I have requested service, I dont feel I got my money's worth. $75 for (2) working keys for the front door that was a Smartlock & rekeyed in 30 seconds? $75 for the AC serviceman to tell me he could top off the freon for the AC but the unit is old garbage that is leaking back out, but dont bother to try to get HSA to credit you for a replacement because (in his experience) THEY WILL NOT. He said they will just keep finding other service people to say it's still ok (second opinions he called it) even if he recommends replacement. (This AC unit is costing us over $250 a month in electric BTW.)

I'm still waiting (almost 6 wks now) for a service company to come fix my gas range where NONE of the burners can be adjusted from medium heat. Ever try to boil water or cook a meal merely on MEDIUM heat? Takes FOREVER. Oh, and I paid my $75 for the range service & have YET to get actual service on the appliance. The "warranty" is a crock. We discovered a large roof leak that the sellers covered up to sell the house. Is HSA going to get us a new roof since the entire thing is shot? Nope. It was "improperly installed" not something a home inspection caught either. Imagine moving into a new house & IMMEDIATELY having to replace the roof. SURPRISE! Your home "warranty" is not going to do anything about that--EVEN THOUGH THE BROCHURE SAYS ROOFS ARE COVERED.

The point here is: "Warranties" nowadays are WORTHLESS. It's always in the best interest of the companies issuing them --NOT TO PAY. And they WILL find ways not to. The "contract" is FULL of clauses that let them off the hook to actually give you replacements of broken components of your investment: namely your home. Dont be duped into thinking a home "warranty" will help you in any way. If you purchase a home with maintenance issues (even unseen ones) assume you will have to foot the bill for all of it & budget accordingly & buy a home well within your financial means.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I called HSA to request a plumbing repair for a new leak I noticed in a copper line in my basement ceiling. The plumber identified the leak as being caused by copper pipe electrolysis. HSA said that this is "not normal wear and tear" and therefore not covered by my homeowner's warranty. Electrolysis is a process where copper pipes can be damaged over time by stray electrical current in the home. It is not an unusual occurrence in older homes, and in my opinion a part of normal aging of the house and should be covered. I was charged $75 for this service call and received no service. I would advise potential purchasers of an HSA home warranty to review the policy carefully before buying and look for this type of exclusion which will make the policy worthless when something actually fails in your home.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

If I could give HSA Home Warranty a NEGATIVE 100 Stars they have EARNED IT. For Home Owners and New Home Buyers BEWARE of this SCAM FRAUDULENT company masquerading as a legitimate home warranty company because all they are is a Answering Service where they hired a lot of retired people to just take your name and policy number and that's it. They DON'T provide any home warranty services. They also will charge you extra fees on top what you paid in full policy. HSA Home Warranty CSR will tell you they are sending a licensed contractor to your home and they don't. I found out that my Real Estate Agent Lee ** from Howard Hanna tied them to my Home Closing which lets me know that Howard Hanna and HSA Home Warranty got some type of under the table deal to register new home buyers to this fake warranty company.

I have just recently filed a BBB Formal Complaint and found out that HSA Home Warranty has 10,000 plus Formal Complaints along with Consumer Affairs where they document Thousands of Complaints. Just Google HSA Home Warranty. I also filed a Formal Complaint with the Ohio State Attorney's General Office and with the Ohio Department Of Insurance because warranties is under insurance. For those new home buyers that's being represented by Howard Hanna, make sure your Howard Hanna Real Estate Agent is not registering with this fake warranty company.

Original review: July 31, 2019

We submitted a work order for our broken AC 15 DAYS AGO... We have 3 kids sleeping in the living room because bedrooms have no AC IN JULY! HSA has sent 3 companies to do an assessment, but no fix is in progress. I’ve been waiting over 2 hrs for a callback from the supervisor (this in addition to numerous other calls we’ve made to try to get information). We’re losing patience. AVOID HSA! LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR HOME WARRANTY!

Original review: July 29, 2019

If I could give this company a negative review I would. My central air conditioner went out on July 3rd, 2019 so I immediately contacted HSA via email for service repair. A response said I would hear from a HVAC technician within 24 hours, well that never happened. When I called them to complain the gentleman who helped me tried calling repair companies that were not located in the USA. When I finally reached a local technician for HSA he said he does not get paid well from HSA so he would not be able to come out for almost a week. I then contacted someone on my own who was glad to come out to my house on July 4th and diagnose the problem. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: July 23, 2019

If I could give this company negative stars I would. I do not recommend going with HSA Home Warranty. I have had nothing but headaches dealing with them. I have been without central air for over a month and when my lower level of my house flooded due to a broken sump pump they refused to cover it because even though it was an emergency they expected me to wait for approval and an appointment for one of their contractors. Had I waited for them my house would have been a swimming pool. It doesn't help that nobody speaks English and they can't understand what you need. Give your money to a company that will actually do its job.

Original review: July 22, 2019

HSA is a horrible company. Any communication (over 15 months) outside of sales/renewal took between 45-60 minutes on multiple holds, often involved at least one disconnection with no effort to reconnect. The different departments have differently trained staff - sales/renewal clearly know everything but claims knows very little and is constantly saying, "I don't know."

When we actually needed them it took over an hour to get a plumber called in, and the one they assigned was literally the worst in the entire state - so bad they had recently changed their name to shake the bad reviews. I wouldn't allow them in my house - it took another 30 mins just to get through to an HSA rep to call them off. I hired an unrelated plumber on recommendation and the job was done well and quickly for not much more than the cost of the work order. HSA told me, and I quote, "We do not take customer experience into consideration" when determining which contractors to work with. That is a HUGE red flag.

I was also ASSURED I could cancel at any time with no obligation but was then forced to pay a $60 cancellation fee which infuriates me. I feel like this company stole my money. And it should say something that such an awful business is considered a leader in its industry. YOU DO NOT NEED A HOME WARRANTY. Save your money.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Home Security America is a 100% scam that forces you to use shady HVAC companies that will pad their bills to nickel and dime you on out of pocket expenses. I caught the company red handed and when confronted they have ghosted me for weeks. Here's how the scam works. They claim they will cover everything if it breaks but they don't cover additional installation costs that are needed. So the companies they use don't get paid anything on the covered work so they tack on INSANE fees. The company they sent me tried to tell me my line set was in my wall and needed completely replaced which would be several hundred dollars. I hired a second company to get another opinion and they showed me that the company literally made up all additional work and it wasn't needed. It will be cheaper for me to hire a different HVAC company and pay for everything out of pocket than to use my home warranty and pay for "miscellaneous expenses".

Original review: July 5, 2019

When our A/C unit stopped working, I logged into the customer portal to file a service request only to find that the address on my account was wrong. After HOURS of being on the phone with their customer service department as well as their escalation department, I found out that they had assigned the same account number to multiple customers and the other customer had been changing the service address to their home address (multiple times). For 4 days in the stifling heat, we tried to get them to have someone come out. Finally, they said we could choose our own contractor. When I found one (within an hour) and called to tell them who it was, they told me I was not authorized to find my own contractor.

The only consistent thing about HSA Home Warranty is their ability to make customers wait (3 days for the change of address, hours of hold and wait time on the phone, days of waiting for a contractor to be assigned, days of waiting for the contractor, days to double check the phone recordings of the promises they've made and now want to back out of, etc.) DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I've also filed a BBB complaint. There is NO WAY to contact their corporate office and you will not speak to anyone here in the US if you call their customer service OR escalations department.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Our tank was in-house when we bought our unit and the warranty at same time. It is a 30 gallon tank and more costly. So they said because of lack of water regulator claim denied. Took 72 hours to get plumber here and because it is Memorial Day weekend, I can’t get plumber here until Tuesday. What a waste of money - buyer beware

Original review: April 20, 2019

Liar and thieves. Paid to have annual ac unit serviced. The company they sent said I needed a new unit as I had a leak, if he repaired it and filled it would be 300$ but I would just keep having issues. We talk and He was very convincing so I applied for credit for a new unit. At this time I was told I had to pay another service fee to HSA for when he came out to replace the unit. So I do. After sleeping on it and being told my payment will be 300/month I decided not to proceed with the new AC unit. I call HSA customer service and cancel the work order and request my 100$ service fee to be refunded. I am told it will be 3-5 business days before I will see the refund and I am at this point provided a confirmation number as well.

After 6 business days I still do not have a refund so I place a second call on 4.18.19 and after being on the phone again for 1/2 hour I am told that my refund was just processed on 4.16.19 and I should see my refund on 4.19.19. At 5 pm on 4.19.19 I called HSA as I still do not have my refund. Now only to be told that HSA does not refund service fees. I explained that services were not provided though and therefore HSA was taking my money without providing a service. He also confirmed he saw the were service was canceled. When I asked him to confirm the confirmation number he said he did not need to because the person that gave this to me lied as well as the person I spoke with on 4.18.19 lied as they do not refund service fees and he has been trying to reach a supervisor to see if she can refund my money.

I explained every time I call I ask to speak to some with authority and they are nowhere to be found. As a result of my frustration I have requested to cancel my contract with HSA and advise this young man that I will contact the BBB in hopes of getting my 100$ back. He advised me I would probably be getting a call due to canceling from someone wanting to know why and he would send me an email confirming my request. Well well to add insult to injury they are going to charge me a cancellation fee!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Had a refrigerator malfunction had to wait 2 weeks! Before their service department could get someone out. They authorized me to find someone outside of network but no one local would even deal with them due to bad prior experiences. So looks like I’m waiting on a repair for 2 weeks. Customer service was so poor and they could care less. A waste of money.

Original review: March 6, 2019

172 1 star ratings and counting. We should sue this company. I would like to know how many claims they actually covered. The wait times on the phone are ridiculous. I called them because of improper installation on my hot water tank. I paid them 83 dollars to initiate the service call. The plumber waited in my basement an hour to get approval. They denied the claim so I had the plumber do the work. The plumber they hired left a gas leak as well. Then another plumber kept calling me??? HSA said that they didn't deny the claim but basically fired that plumber because they wanted a second opinion. They didn't call to tell me that until a week and a half later. Everyone should do a chargeback on that service call fee if you can and don't buy the warranty if you are thinking of purchasing it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We had a gas leak discovered that required gas to the whole house be shut off until fixed, and this happened just before a dangerous and lengthy cold spell, with temperatures around zero degrees Fahrenheit. We experienced very long wait times just to file a claim, and when it became clear that an HSA contractor would not be able to service the problem in time they authorized us to use a contractor of our choice. Their contract stipulates that they must be able to speak with the contractor prior to work being performed. We called the following day, but again experienced very long wait times and could not get through.

Good luck finding any contractors that are willing to wait at your house and delay work while you're on hold with HSA. Because of the dangerous temperatures moving in, delaying the work was not possible and our contractor proceeded. When we submitted the invoice for reimbursement, we were denied because we could not get through to their customer service line prior to the work being performed. Don't waste your time and money with this company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Don't waste your money on this service. Customer service at HSA doesn't care that YOU are their customer. They are more interested in backing up the contractor than they are interested in you. Terrible wait times on the phone to talk to people in a foreign company who speak well, but don't understand what you are saying. Contractors are eh - I've needed 2 repairs in the 3 years I have had this service. One contractor never called or called me back, one made an immediate repair, and my most recent has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. For the $1800+ I have spent on this "service" I could have gotten the same new garbage disposal I had replaced put in and bought a new microwave that has not yet been fixed. Save your money and hire a reputable contractor!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

1. Wait-time is well over an hour before we are able to speak to a human being. 2. When we finally get to speak to someone, it is a person who does not have a great command of the English language and does not understand the complaint. We find ourselves repeating the issues several times and then end up so frustrated that we give up. 3. HSA-American Home Shield sends out servicemen to do a job but many of them have do not have the ability to fix the problem. We end up spending hours on the phone trying to resolve issues, and still wind up with the work not done.

4. We are being charged $450 in service fee calls for work that could not be fixed by the servicemen who were sent out. In particular, a. Dishwasher Service Request: The serviceman came out and after several hours was unable to find the problem or fix the dishwasher. We were told to find another repair service and we would be reimbursed any charges. We finally contacted ARS Rooter who was able to fix the problem after about an hour and a half. We were charged $150 for the repair which we paid. Resolution: We are asking for the HSA service fee of $75 to be waived and for reimbursement of the $150 we paid to the serviceman from ARS. We were denied.

b. Cooktop Service Request: We were charged a $75 service call for a Repair My Appliance Inc serviceman to come out and fix our Bosch cooktop on 11/24/18. We were told by this gentleman that he needed to order parts and he left. After several days, we contacted an HSA representative to see what the status was on the parts. We were told that the cooktop could not be repaired because the parts were no longer made. We were asked to look at a GE replacement that they were sending us in an email. We approved the replacement and HSA sent the serviceman out from Reliable Appliance Installation to remove the Bosch and install the GE cooktop.

The Reliable serviceman did not even bring the GE into our home. He looked at our Bosch and told us he was unable to install the cooktop because we would need to hire a contractor to come out and remove and modify the drawers under the Bosch before he could install the GE. He was very rude and left having done nothing. We hired a contractor to deal with the drawers and then called HSA to send back a GE installer. They sent back the same guy from Reliable.

When he came out this second time, he told us that he once again could not install the GE because the flex gas line he brought with him was too short, it was the only one that they use, our gas line was not a hard gas line, and there was no shut off valve. He said we would have to contact a contractor/plumber to install a hard gas line and shut off valve. This time he left the GE cooktop in the box in the middle of the kitchen along with all drawers that the contractor had removed under the Bosch.

We again contacted HSA and then found a contractor/plumber as instructed. When this gentleman arrived, he said the GE installer had no idea what he was talking about and in fact, the GE installer had identified the wrong gas line. The gas line to the Bosch was not only hard lined it also had a shut off valve. The contractor/plumber installed the GE immediately and we were charged $250 for the installation and service call. Resolution: We are asking for the HSA service fee of $75 to be waived and for reimbursement of the $250 we paid to the contractor/plumber. We were denied.

5. We believe our current bill should be as follows: $450 – 2*$75 service fees - $150 dishwasher repair - $250 cooktop install = -$100. We are asking that the $450 bill be wiped clean and we will call it even. We have pictures of the issues and copies of the bills that we paid. We will not be recommending HSA American Home Shield to anyone!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I'm sorry I can't leave zero stars. Here's my experience with HSA: I realized I had an electrical problem, so I decided to put in a claim. I went to their website, where I couldn't submit a claim because their site said my policy didn't exist. Ok, I'll just call. After over 45 MINUTES, I finally got an operator. I let her know about my problem. "I'm sorry sir, I can't help you with that problem, but I'll make a note of it."

Anyway, after a few days it finally gets fixed, and I'm able to file a claim online. I'm contacted by an electric company who is only in my area 3 days a week, and who gives me a 5 HOUR window time (who do they think they are, a cable company??) in which they'll be there. So, I change my schedule to make sure I'm home for 5 HOURS. 3:00 comes. Then 4:00. Then 5:00. Then 6:00. 7:00. 8:00. That's 5 HOURS. No call. No show. I wish I was joking, but I'm not. This company is an absolute joke, and I imagine they won't be around long. Get your home warranty from LITERALLY anywhere else but here.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have tried to contact them repeatedly in order to demand a refund for their “coverage”. We had 2 unrelated clogs that a plumber “tried” unsuccessfully to fix by snaking them. I later received a phone call saying that the only way to fix the issue was to do extensive work that would not be covered and would run $1200 for the plumbing alone, not to mention the tile and plaster work that would have needed to be done afterwards. I called another plumber and within MINUTES he had fixed both problems. This cost $250. They will be receiving a certified letter, demanding both a refund for my coverage and reimbursement for the plumbing.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have nothing good to say about HSA. Their contract is vague at best, so that when they send someone out they can easily deny service. It took hours to get ahold of someone on the phone and I still have not received a call back from their "manager". I had a very old toilet with a snapped off ball-cock that my husband tried to replace on his own with a new system.

Unfortunately he isn't handy and could not fix it on our own, which is when we called HSA. I had to call the contractor after 2 days without them calling me to schedule, and it wasn't until a week later that someone was scheduled to come out. He walked into the house, looked at the toilet for about 10 seconds and left saying he wouldn't cover it. I had to call another company to fix the toilet for over $1000. HSA's reason is that the toilet was not properly installed. Had I known that, I would have put everything back together. The contract is not clear and I didn't think that taking off some parts would result in it not being "properly installed". They will also not refund my $100 service fee for the total of one minute that the plumber was out at the house. I would NEVER pay for this warranty! Worst customer service ever!

HSA Home Warranty Company Information

www.onlinehsa.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: