Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes
1.19/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Home Security America Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2019

HSA is a horrible company. Any communication (over 15 months) outside of sales/renewal took between 45-60 minutes on multiple holds, often involved at least one disconnection with no effort to reconnect. The different departments have differently trained staff - sales/renewal clearly know everything but claims knows very little and is constantly saying, "I don't know."

When we actually needed them it took over an hour to get a plumber called in, and the one they assigned was literally the worst in the entire state - so bad they had recently changed their name to shake the bad reviews. I wouldn't allow them in my house - it took another 30 mins just to get through to an HSA rep to call them off. I hired an unrelated plumber on recommendation and the job was done well and quickly for not much more than the cost of the work order. HSA told me, and I quote, "We do not take customer experience into consideration" when determining which contractors to work with. That is a HUGE red flag.

I was also ASSURED I could cancel at any time with no obligation but was then forced to pay a $60 cancellation fee which infuriates me. I feel like this company stole my money. And it should say something that such an awful business is considered a leader in its industry. YOU DO NOT NEED A HOME WARRANTY. Save your money.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Home Security America is a 100% scam that forces you to use shady HVAC companies that will pad their bills to nickel and dime you on out of pocket expenses. I caught the company red handed and when confronted they have ghosted me for weeks. Here's how the scam works. They claim they will cover everything if it breaks but they don't cover additional installation costs that are needed. So the companies they use don't get paid anything on the covered work so they tack on INSANE fees. The company they sent me tried to tell me my line set was in my wall and needed completely replaced which would be several hundred dollars. I hired a second company to get another opinion and they showed me that the company literally made up all additional work and it wasn't needed. It will be cheaper for me to hire a different HVAC company and pay for everything out of pocket than to use my home warranty and pay for "miscellaneous expenses".

Original review: July 5, 2019

When our A/C unit stopped working, I logged into the customer portal to file a service request only to find that the address on my account was wrong. After HOURS of being on the phone with their customer service department as well as their escalation department, I found out that they had assigned the same account number to multiple customers and the other customer had been changing the service address to their home address (multiple times). For 4 days in the stifling heat, we tried to get them to have someone come out. Finally, they said we could choose our own contractor. When I found one (within an hour) and called to tell them who it was, they told me I was not authorized to find my own contractor.

The only consistent thing about HSA Home Warranty is their ability to make customers wait (3 days for the change of address, hours of hold and wait time on the phone, days of waiting for a contractor to be assigned, days of waiting for the contractor, days to double check the phone recordings of the promises they've made and now want to back out of, etc.) DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I've also filed a BBB complaint. There is NO WAY to contact their corporate office and you will not speak to anyone here in the US if you call their customer service OR escalations department.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Our tank was in-house when we bought our unit and the warranty at same time. It is a 30 gallon tank and more costly. So they said because of lack of water regulator claim denied. Took 72 hours to get plumber here and because it is Memorial Day weekend, I can’t get plumber here until Tuesday. What a waste of money - buyer beware

Original review: April 20, 2019

Liar and thieves. Paid to have annual ac unit serviced. The company they sent said I needed a new unit as I had a leak, if he repaired it and filled it would be 300$ but I would just keep having issues. We talk and He was very convincing so I applied for credit for a new unit. At this time I was told I had to pay another service fee to HSA for when he came out to replace the unit. So I do. After sleeping on it and being told my payment will be 300/month I decided not to proceed with the new AC unit. I call HSA customer service and cancel the work order and request my 100$ service fee to be refunded. I am told it will be 3-5 business days before I will see the refund and I am at this point provided a confirmation number as well.

After 6 business days I still do not have a refund so I place a second call on 4.18.19 and after being on the phone again for 1/2 hour I am told that my refund was just processed on 4.16.19 and I should see my refund on 4.19.19. At 5 pm on 4.19.19 I called HSA as I still do not have my refund. Now only to be told that HSA does not refund service fees. I explained that services were not provided though and therefore HSA was taking my money without providing a service. He also confirmed he saw the were service was canceled. When I asked him to confirm the confirmation number he said he did not need to because the person that gave this to me lied as well as the person I spoke with on 4.18.19 lied as they do not refund service fees and he has been trying to reach a supervisor to see if she can refund my money.

I explained every time I call I ask to speak to some with authority and they are nowhere to be found. As a result of my frustration I have requested to cancel my contract with HSA and advise this young man that I will contact the BBB in hopes of getting my 100$ back. He advised me I would probably be getting a call due to canceling from someone wanting to know why and he would send me an email confirming my request. Well well to add insult to injury they are going to charge me a cancellation fee!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Security America?

Original review: April 3, 2019

Had a refrigerator malfunction had to wait 2 weeks! Before their service department could get someone out. They authorized me to find someone outside of network but no one local would even deal with them due to bad prior experiences. So looks like I’m waiting on a repair for 2 weeks. Customer service was so poor and they could care less. A waste of money.

Original review: March 6, 2019

172 1 star ratings and counting. We should sue this company. I would like to know how many claims they actually covered. The wait times on the phone are ridiculous. I called them because of improper installation on my hot water tank. I paid them 83 dollars to initiate the service call. The plumber waited in my basement an hour to get approval. They denied the claim so I had the plumber do the work. The plumber they hired left a gas leak as well. Then another plumber kept calling me??? HSA said that they didn't deny the claim but basically fired that plumber because they wanted a second opinion. They didn't call to tell me that until a week and a half later. Everyone should do a chargeback on that service call fee if you can and don't buy the warranty if you are thinking of purchasing it.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We had a gas leak discovered that required gas to the whole house be shut off until fixed, and this happened just before a dangerous and lengthy cold spell, with temperatures around zero degrees Fahrenheit. We experienced very long wait times just to file a claim, and when it became clear that an HSA contractor would not be able to service the problem in time they authorized us to use a contractor of our choice. Their contract stipulates that they must be able to speak with the contractor prior to work being performed. We called the following day, but again experienced very long wait times and could not get through.

Good luck finding any contractors that are willing to wait at your house and delay work while you're on hold with HSA. Because of the dangerous temperatures moving in, delaying the work was not possible and our contractor proceeded. When we submitted the invoice for reimbursement, we were denied because we could not get through to their customer service line prior to the work being performed. Don't waste your time and money with this company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Don't waste your money on this service. Customer service at HSA doesn't care that YOU are their customer. They are more interested in backing up the contractor than they are interested in you. Terrible wait times on the phone to talk to people in a foreign company who speak well, but don't understand what you are saying. Contractors are eh - I've needed 2 repairs in the 3 years I have had this service. One contractor never called or called me back, one made an immediate repair, and my most recent has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. For the $1800+ I have spent on this "service" I could have gotten the same new garbage disposal I had replaced put in and bought a new microwave that has not yet been fixed. Save your money and hire a reputable contractor!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

1. Wait-time is well over an hour before we are able to speak to a human being. 2. When we finally get to speak to someone, it is a person who does not have a great command of the English language and does not understand the complaint. We find ourselves repeating the issues several times and then end up so frustrated that we give up. 3. HSA-American Home Shield sends out servicemen to do a job but many of them have do not have the ability to fix the problem. We end up spending hours on the phone trying to resolve issues, and still wind up with the work not done.

4. We are being charged $450 in service fee calls for work that could not be fixed by the servicemen who were sent out. In particular, a. Dishwasher Service Request: The serviceman came out and after several hours was unable to find the problem or fix the dishwasher. We were told to find another repair service and we would be reimbursed any charges. We finally contacted ARS Rooter who was able to fix the problem after about an hour and a half. We were charged $150 for the repair which we paid. Resolution: We are asking for the HSA service fee of $75 to be waived and for reimbursement of the $150 we paid to the serviceman from ARS. We were denied.

b. Cooktop Service Request: We were charged a $75 service call for a Repair My Appliance Inc serviceman to come out and fix our Bosch cooktop on 11/24/18. We were told by this gentleman that he needed to order parts and he left. After several days, we contacted an HSA representative to see what the status was on the parts. We were told that the cooktop could not be repaired because the parts were no longer made. We were asked to look at a GE replacement that they were sending us in an email. We approved the replacement and HSA sent the serviceman out from Reliable Appliance Installation to remove the Bosch and install the GE cooktop.

The Reliable serviceman did not even bring the GE into our home. He looked at our Bosch and told us he was unable to install the cooktop because we would need to hire a contractor to come out and remove and modify the drawers under the Bosch before he could install the GE. He was very rude and left having done nothing. We hired a contractor to deal with the drawers and then called HSA to send back a GE installer. They sent back the same guy from Reliable.

When he came out this second time, he told us that he once again could not install the GE because the flex gas line he brought with him was too short, it was the only one that they use, our gas line was not a hard gas line, and there was no shut off valve. He said we would have to contact a contractor/plumber to install a hard gas line and shut off valve. This time he left the GE cooktop in the box in the middle of the kitchen along with all drawers that the contractor had removed under the Bosch.

We again contacted HSA and then found a contractor/plumber as instructed. When this gentleman arrived, he said the GE installer had no idea what he was talking about and in fact, the GE installer had identified the wrong gas line. The gas line to the Bosch was not only hard lined it also had a shut off valve. The contractor/plumber installed the GE immediately and we were charged $250 for the installation and service call. Resolution: We are asking for the HSA service fee of $75 to be waived and for reimbursement of the $250 we paid to the contractor/plumber. We were denied.

5. We believe our current bill should be as follows: $450 – 2*$75 service fees - $150 dishwasher repair - $250 cooktop install = -$100. We are asking that the $450 bill be wiped clean and we will call it even. We have pictures of the issues and copies of the bills that we paid. We will not be recommending HSA American Home Shield to anyone!

Home Security America Company Information