1.2/5 (251 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About HSA Home Warranty

Home Security America, commonly known as HSA or HSA Home Warranty, sells home warranties. Get a quote online or over the phone to see what the company covers, what riders or add-ons are available and how much a contract costs. HSA serves 25 states, and its customer service line is open 24/7.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Easy quote process
    • Helpful online resources
    • Affordable options

Cons

• Limited availability

Bottom Line

HSA's home warranty options are straightforward. If you're interested, first make sure it operates in your state, then decide if HSA's coverage and pricing work for you.

HSA Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSA Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSA Home Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I've been a member of HSA warranty for over 6 years. Over that time, they were able to address a handful of small issues ranging from electricity, garage doors, etc. However, it wasn't until recently where my experience have taken a hit. First issue occurred 8/6/2021 when I requested service for a potential leaky pipe. Long story short, they dispatched a contractor to the site, the contractor informed me later that the part wasn't covered. However, I also found out that the contractor caused additional damage that caused the irrigation system to leak overnight and throughout the next day.

There was many finger pointing between the contractor and home warranty and neither wanted to address the issue. I eventually went on my own to find another contractor to resolve the issue. On HSA side, their phone representatives would put me on hold endlessly. One time I was hoping to speak with their agent, only to find out I was transferred directly to the contractor who they hired.

The second unfortunate experience was related to a kitchen sink leak. They dispatched their contractor who spent less than 5 minutes to identify that the part is likely not covered due to it being a leaky water filter and was told I would be reached. No one ever reached out to me, fortunately, I found someone to fix the issue which was simply tightening up a loose valve. Since both of my last two requests weren't covered, I contacted them to reimburse me for the $75 per request fee. In the past, I had no trouble receiving this reimbursement. However, this time I was told I would not be able to get reimbursed. After requesting to cancel my subscription, were they then able to agree to the reimbursement. By that time I was fed up and ultimately decided to cancel my service. I truly hope they improve their customer service, find more reputable contractors, and streamline their customer agent support.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Money was removed from account and I do not have a home warranty with this company. I called the number on the website and I was transferred to India. Then back and forth for 2 hours and getting nowhere. Placed on hold forever only to be transferred or called back to be transferred again. What kind of highway robbery is this, I don't know how they got my info but I have contacted my bank to stop all future transactions with this company.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Terrible company! Can barely get an agent to answer the phone and when you do you get a different answer every time you speak to someone. I have been waiting for over three weeks for an A/C part. Plus I have to pay an extra $500 because it is supposedly a modification, not a repair. Tried to cancel their service and I continually get the runaround that a supervisor is supposed to call me. Buyer beware. Save yourself money and the headache. Find a better business.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Our home warranty HSA Home Warranty is THE WORST. Since May, we've suffered from refrigerant poisoning, had severe injuries, our kiddo got a 2nd degree burn from the dishwasher, our LO almost got stuck in the non-working refrigerator and I had Freon exposure and fell from the top of the stairs. Our stove top has caused 4 fires to date and burned our toaster oven. IMHO, they run a scam operation. The warranty came with the house. They push to fix 27-29 year old appliances but, haven't sent anyone out to do anything about it. Our 27yro freezer broke AGAIN. We woke up to a watery mess and spoiled groceries. This is the 6th time the freezer has randomly stopped working since we moved-in in March. The refrigerator overheats and makes horrible noises.

We just gave up with the AC/HVAC battle with HSA and spent $45k on new systems. We had been without AC since May and our indoors was full of refrigerant (Freon) leaks. For months, they sent 4 different AC companies to "fix" and refill the Freon, further poisoning us. The units were 27 years old. The last AC tech they sent left our house ranting, with a 12 in knife and broke our vintage front door. That's not even half of all the wrong things that have happened with HSA. The cherry on top? Their customer service is horrendous.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

This company is a total rip off. I have had my AC out Since for 6 weeks, 2 companies have been out and still no AC. I leave for work for 1 month, return to no AC. Call company. They want to charge me again, for the service they have never provided. If I could give a review of less than 1 that would be most appropriate.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I recently purchased a home and was gifted a home warranty from this company. I have to tell you that the service I have received has been completely subpar. I called to place a service request when our a/c went out on June 12th. It is July 26th and I have been charged $200 (2x the deductible for a service call) and no one has serviced my a/c. The first company came out and looked at it and didn't even spend 5 minutes in my home, wrote to HSA that it was a "power failure" which I'm guessing is not covered and is NOT AT ALL THE ISSUE. I called when the issue had not been corrected and the company said they could not service the until to request another provider.

I was told that my first charge would be refunded and they would assign me a new contractor because at that time the original service details had not been provided by the first company. I was charged a second $100 fee and the same original company was assigned to my account. At this point, we were not staying in our home due to the lack of a/c and visiting my home for these service calls required a five hour drive. I drove a second time to meet who I thought was a new provider only to find out it had been assigned to the same company who said they could not service our unit. I called back and was told I would be assigned a new provider and they would come that day. I did not receive an update after waiting on hold for 10 minutes each call, by the way.

A few days later I received a call from a new service provider. They scheduled a time and then said they could not service the unit because it was raining. We then rescheduled for today and they were two hours late from their window and I was not able to make that time due to work commitment for myself and my wife. I requested a refund based on the fact that 1) the first company did nothing and their report of “power failure” is completely inaccurate and 2) the second company never came to my home to service the unit. I was refused a refund and refused the option to speak to a supervisor in the customer service department.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Don't waste your time with HSA b/c there are better home warranties companies. They will try their hardest to find an exclusion in the contract so they will not have to cover it. You will not know if something is covered until after you pay the $75 service fee, and a service team diagnosis' the issue. We found out twice now something that we thought should be covered was not. A simple blockage in the plumbing because the tech had to take the toilet off to access the pipe. Also the sump pump even though it clearly says sump pump is covered. Read the contract carefully if you do get them. It is very hard to get someone on the phone to talk to.

Original review: July 2, 2021

We had this home warranty through buying a property. We had a dishwasher broken. They sent in a technician told us that the dishwasher is smoking and some parts needed to be replaced, or the dishwasher needs to be replaced. After THREE WEEKS, after numerous calls holding for hours and hours, they told us that they could not find the parts, so that HSA has to spend time to find the parts, which will take another 21 business days. In every call, the representative tells us different information, such as the technician never gives them any feedback, or the next day you will receive the updates. They are completely lies. This company is a complete cheating company. They never fix anything, and nothing comes out of their mouth is honest.

Original review: July 2, 2021

My dishwasher has gone unrepaired for 7 weeks now due to a part being on "backorder". Since it's been 21 business days with no resolution, I'm looking for either a full replacement or the cash out option so I can replace it, but they have given me the runaround for 3 weeks now. I've called 5 times, and each time I'm told they need to validate that the repair is still pending due to a backordered part and then they will "call me back the next day to discuss my options, a full replacement or a cashout option". All 5 times NO ONE ever called me back. Two days ago I was promised that a manager would call me back yesterday, and of course it never happened... This is what they do, keep you dangling at the end of string hoping that you will walk away so they won't have to pay a dime. They are a joke of a company. All you ever talk to are low level reps that have ZERO ability to resolve anything.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Stay away! Very dishonest. It's been 3 weeks without hot water and we have a new born in the house. They take at least a week for every step. It's been 2 weeks since I asked them to email me the estimate as they informed me that I have pay extra for things that are not covered. I still haven't got any email from them. They make you desperate so that you would just do anything to get things done and don't ask questions. I am glad my warranty is expiring in a month. I will make sure no one in my circle end up taking this warranty. There is no way you can talk anyone other than some low level customer care rep sitting somewhere in another country. Even those reps have limited info so they cannot help you if they want to. Everything is well planned to deceive people. Goodbye HSA!

Original review: June 12, 2021

Do not use this warranty company!! I wish I had read the many complaints. I have been without air conditioning for 4 weeks. I've called HSA 18 times to get the incompetent contractor A&A Airconditioning in Cleveland Oh. they are requiring me to use to show up to fix my air. After long hold times, speaking to people with broken English reading from a script to being hung up on several times or they promise to call me back with a resolution and I never hear from them.

The major problem is HSA uses the worst contractors. The contractor doesn't call to schedule an appt or doesn't show up once they set an appt. It has taken A&A 3 weeks and 2 visits to determine we needed a new Blower and another 10 days before they can come back to install the new part. If I haven't died from heat exhaustion by then I'll update this review to let you know if it was ever fixed!

Original review: April 26, 2021

The warranty says they will pay me $500.00 dollars for furnace upgrade. The contractor they sent me checked out my furnace and told me they would have to replace it, I told him I wanted to upgrade to a more efficient one with air conditioning. He quoted me a price that for a Lennox that I thought was high for a mid range efficiency furnace that wouldn't qualify for the local energy supplier rebate. I then checked with my local Lennox Dealer who agreed the furnace needed to be replaced and got me a made in America Lennox higher efficient furnace for a $1000.00 dollars less and qualified for rebate saving me another $450.00. So I'll end up with a better deal but HSA home warranty was worthless because the contractor they sent told them the burners were bad but no action needed and had told me the furnace needed to be replaced. Their contractor is a crook and HSA was no help.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I had a broken water valve in my house. I needed help very quickly because it could not be turned off. If you are buying a plan you get a person, but if you need help you get an automated machine that takes ten years to help. There I was trying to catch freakin water and read off a credit card number to a damn machine to get help, WHICH IS WHAT I PAY THEM FOR AND THEY WEREN’T DOING. Not worth the money and I will absolutely never buy a home warranty from them ever again.

Original review: April 12, 2021

Don’t get HSA. They do not have emergency services as advertised. Their 48hrs or less guaranteed only applies to weekdays. As I had a leaking and busted water heater on a Thursday, they didn’t have anyone available until the following Monday to come and look at it and told me they were still within their 48hr window for service as stated on the contract. What??? Apparently weekends don’t count towards their 48hr guarantee, and the five plumbers I called that could come within the hour were not on the HSA listing so I had to pay out of pocket to have one come down to help me out. Luckily I am on Month to month and about to leave HSA forever. Good luck to those who love talking to people that can barely understand you and don’t care one bit about your emergency situations.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I have used HSA home warranty for 13 yrs in St Louis and had A&E come to our home for repairs time and time again with no issues. We moved to FL 2 yrs ago and need repair on our fridge. We called HSA, which contracted A&E to fix it. The repair man came on Jan 16, 2021, diagnosed the issue and ordered the parts. They scheduled a revisit on Jan 29 to install, which they never came and never called. They also said on their system that we were not home. This is a total lie. I have a disabled husband and we are home ALL THE TIME. We called several times after the visit window (11a - 2pm) and were told they were on the way. At 6:30pm the agent apologized saying that there were no more agents in our area. Rescheduled for Feb 5 (sorry this is our next apt ), to which they did the same thing. Never came and never called.

Again for Feb 12. Again for Feb. 19 - which should be an apt tomorrow, but when I called today to confirm, I was told that no agent will be in this area and that the next apt is March 1. HSA will not send another vendor because the parts are from Sears. A&E keeps playing schedule games with me. So, as a consumer, I am completely screwed because I cannot get another vendor to come to install the parts and I am without a fridge for over a month now. Mind you, when the monthly draft is due, HSA happily takes the money out of my account. When I schedule a service call, HSA requires a pre payment. What is a consumer to do?

My kids told me not to write a review because I could "sound like a Karen". What does A&E care? They will get paid regardless of when they come. Tomorrow or next month. What does HSA care? They get my monthly payment. And you know what? If I decide to cancel my insurance, They will not miss my $600/yr premium AND I will have to start from scratch. So there it is my friends.... A sad story of a broken refrigerator and a broken-hearted house wife who just wants people to do their freaking JOB!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I purchased my house a year ago and it came with HSA. I typically do all my repairs, so I was undecided if I was going to keep them. Most of the appliances were older, several were 20 years old. If most were newer, I’m not sure I would have continued my service. Nine months after we moved in I had refrigerator and water heater issues, and more recently the furnace. I troubleshoot the water heater and furnace and knew what they needed. Both jobs I never took on before, so I paid my contractor fee. With all three appliances, I had an unexpectedly wonderful experience with HSA. Each time I called I was not on hold for too long of a time. Most if not all of the agents I talked to were easily understood, and I knew most did not speak English as their original language. After I answered all the questions I was given a Dispatch ID number.

With two of the three issues I had, I was called by the contractor within 5-10 minutes. One took a half-day. I have read other reviews, if they've changed...well...I guess I've come in at the right time. I had a refrigerator, gas valve and zone valve replaced and it has saved me my time and money. So far, I believe I am ahead considering the time and cost of doing it on my own. So far HSA is great, if that changes, I might too.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I've had HSA home warranty for 15 years. It was provided by the seller for 1 year and I decided to continue with it. I have made 3 claims in 15 years. I called to schedule a service call and they set me up with a company that has terrible reviews. So I asked for a different company to come out (of their choice) but I was refused. Every call I have made to them in 2 days I was put on hold or should I say ignore for hours! I called for the last time and was going to cancel my warranty since it is up for renewal but was transferred numerous times after each representative told me I was being transferred to the cancellation department but I never made it there. I never had this problem before. I've always spoke to someone in the USA not overseas. This is a very unfair practice for a loyal customer and for anyone who is a customer! I would give minus 10 stars if possible! I'm finished with hsa!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

Please look somewhere else for a home warranty before you pay hard earned money for HSA home warranty. I have had their service for a few years and have never had anything replaced without a huge struggle. My 2 water heaters need replaced, HSA work order called in on 25 September. 27 September HVAC rep writes up a report that 2 water heaters need to be replaced. HSA says that I must pay $1,977 before work can be started. I called them to see about this charge and am told that the HVAC representative wrote the work order wrong. It will need to be re-written, approved by HSA and a new $$ amount can be listed to me to pay. Told by HSA that I will know later that day on 27 September. Today is 30 September, no HSA approval, no water heater replacement, no anything. It will take minimum of 30 minutes to talk with HSA work order dept., 30 seconds for their sales dept. Get it!!! Stay Away!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

If you like to wait on hold long hours, have a major language barrier in communication, and have a company basically not cover anything, then this is the place for you. I needed a shower drain basin replacement which was not covered. Found out the only plumbing thing they cover is drywall. Had a separate issue with a leak over the front door that ended up being a siding issue, which guess what? Was not covered. It’s more expensive and covers less than the very first company I found besides them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

This company is AWFUL...if I could give it 0 stars I would. Since we moved into our new home a month ago, our refrigerator has been broken. Not exactly the type of appliance you want to live without. The previous owners bought a warranty with HSA and so we have no choice but to use them. We have had calls in which we've waited on hold for over 2 hours. The repair people they keep on container in our area have inflexible schedules and could not service the refrigerator for 1 week.

When the repair company finally came, they had to order a part from HSA which didn't arrive for 8 days. The diagnosis from the company which HSA assigned us was incorrect. We are now waiting (again, ONE MONTH after moving into our new home) with no word from HSA on when they will be sending the 2nd part to the repair company. My husband just waited on hold for an, spoke with a representative, who then put him on hold for ANOTHER hour. A company like this should not be allowed to operate! Or at least forced to hire more call service reps! The most frustrating part is we had NO CHOICE in which home warranty company we have to use!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

On 6-11-20 I submitted a claim online for my washing machine, a service call was scheduled for 6-17-20. The service technician stated the unit was nonrepairable and that we would hear from HSA in 1-3 business days to start the replacement process. After day three I had not heard from HSA. I called and after a forty-minute wait finally got through to a representative and was told I would receive and e-mail in 3-5 business days. I received the e-mail to start the order process for a new washing machine.

I had a Maytag Bravo machine and was looking for a comparable unit. I did some research to see which of the wash machines HSA offered were close since the Maytag Bravo was not an option. There were three wash machines I felt were close but still not as good as the Bravo. I selected my first choice, item not available. I selected my second choice, item not available, I selected my third choice item not available. Every other option was sub par. I then decided to see what the cash option was. The cash option was purchase the unit of your choice send in your receipt and you will be mailed a check for the cash out option which in this case was 489.75.

On June 25th I submitted my receipt for a new washer for 674.80 this was the same Maytag Bravo brand. I received an automatic reply that I would receive a reimbursement check in 7-10 business days. After 10 days I had not received a check, I called HSA numerous times and after 30-40 minutes on hold gave up. One day I was on hold for 2hours and 12 minutes and still was unable to get a hold of a representative. Over the 3 days I called and called and finally decided to wait until I was able to speak to someone, this also was over a two hour wait. I was told a check was cut on July 5th and I should be receiving it soon.

I finally received the check the first week of August and it was dated July 24th. The customer service reps at this company are terrible, they do not listen to your concern and always use scripted responses, I'm sure they are reading from their computer screen. After spending over 20 hours on hold with this company along with the lack of customer service and the loss I took on the wash machine which should have been able to be replaced, they were unable to fulfill their end of the contract I decided to cancel my contract.

Now add insult to injury my contract expires in March of 2021. There is a 50.00 administration fee if you cancel early. I asked because of all of the time spent and the challenges I had working with HSA if this fee could be waived. The rep said she did not have the authority to do that. I asked to talk to a manager or supervisor and was told she could request via e-mail that one reach out to me within 24-48 hours.

On 8-16-20 I have yet to hear from anyone. There is absolutely no way I can recommend this company. It's obvious they do not have enough employees manning the phones, the scripted response only makes the situation worse, the time it takes to resolve an issue is far from timely. Save yourself a lot of time and frustration and do not contract with HSA. Please note HSA is a subsidiary of American Home Shield. Do not be fooled by this.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

The customer service is horrible and they will waste hours of your time. They do not vet the contractors they provide. Waited on hold almost 20 minutes where the call was then transferred to another department where I waited another 20 minutes until the call was dropped. Have to now recall and wait another 20 minutes to start the process over. They hire the cheapest contractors to fix the work. I am trying to get a roof fixed, they sent a contractor who stated he fixed it. The next day it started leaking worse as he just rerouted the leak to another area.

I followed up with another service and he then stated he does not work on metal roofs and couldn't fix it. He stated to call HSA, HSA then sent my request back to him to fix. So I now have to spend another hour on the phone. Their operators do not know how to resolve request and there are not online tools to fix it. I also paid HSA a service charge to send a contractor who wasn't qualified and didn't fix it, and now have to pay another service charge for have it attempted again.

Original review: July 28, 2020

DO NOT BUY a warranty through these people. I'm on my 36th day of no refrigerator, I've wasted so much time between HSA and the contractor fighting with them for a solution. I finally just bought an new one and I'm canceling this service. I can't describe how frustrating this process has been. You are never allowed to talk to anyone else besides the "customer service" rep who is trained to say "I understand" or "I'm so sorry". Obviously not sorry enough to help and fix the problem THAT I AM PAYING YOU TO DO! Buying a new fridge was not what I wanted to do, but the only way out of this nightmare. Again, DO NOT BUY!

Original review: July 27, 2020

Horrible customer service and none of the rep speak English. I placed an order on the evening of 7.5.20 to have my hvac repaired. I never heard anything about from anyone regarding the status the following day. I called the next day and she advised they received my order and someone will get back with me. I called again and each time it was 30 minutes to an hour hold time. Each time I get some on the phone they can't speak English, I was not able to understand them. I asked for a supervisor and got hung up on instead.

I finally got a hold of the company HSA use & no availability until Friday a week away. I live in north Carolina and the weather is 90+ each day. I requested another vendor and was told someone would get back to me. Today is the 8th of July and no call back, nothing. They allowed me to stay in my home in scorching heat and no air conditioning for a week. No call back. No follow up. Nothing. This company is horrible and the customer service is absolutely unacceptable. They finally sent a technician out, the first guy tried to get in my attic without a proper ladder and he fell on my dryer and dented it all up. A supervisor had to come & finish his job. I have air now, but brand new dryer was destroyed!!!

Original review: July 20, 2020

Requesting a contractor (and taking my money) was quick and easy. The contractor that came to my home advised me to call HSA because they were notoriously bad about follow up. I called more than once because of outrageous hold times. Once I finally got someone I was on the phone (and on hold) for more than 3 hours. I had to hang up because I had work-related phone calls. I still have no resolution to my issue nor do I have any way to provide feedback to the company or escalate this issue.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have been going round and round with this company on the repair/replacement of a washing machine since April! After over 4 weeks of "repair" service attempts, they finally agreed to replace. My options were to order an appliance directly from HSA, order an "upgrade" from HSA and pay the difference, or take an allotment and purchase myself. It made more sense to order directly, however of the 25 models presented to me, NOT ONE, was available. Due to the COVID pandemic, my local stores did not have available units.

After several weeks, one did come available with HSA and I ordered immediately. That was a month ago, and the delivery company shows ZERO records/orders submitted by HSA to them. And when you log into your "account" there is NO RECORD of the appliance replacement order. The shipping/delivery company representative stated that she has DAILY complaints/calls from home warranty consumers who are getting the runaround. That is very telling.

I typically spend 1+ hour on hold waiting for a representative. However I have waited for as long as 2 HOURS and 20 MINUTES for a call to be responded to. I would not recommend this company at all. The only reason that I have them is because it was part of my home purchase. I did not have a choice in the company as it was seller purchased, but would highly recommend that if anyone has a choice, to RUN AWAY. Not worth the money! Also, my credit card has been charged for the disposal fee of the old machine, which is still in my house!

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have been a customer for 16 years. Until it was bought by American Home Shield it was OK. After acquisition service got worse. They will keep both you and the technician on the phone for such a long time it makes it not worth loss of your time. Good reputable contractors will not be willing to deal with them, therefore you will get second rate companies with lesser technicians who may not diagnose the problem correctly, will not fix it right away and it will cost you more in form of money, wasted time and aggravation. I even think it is their business model to waste so much of your time and energy that you will fix the problem outside of warranty using your own funds.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I am ready to cancel my service with HSA, my fridge has not worked for 22 days, (still not fixed) and with way too many calls to them holding on as long as 73 minutes, with several calls over 20 minutes while on hold. I was to have service today between 8-12 to repair at 2:30 I called HSA and they said the service call would be tomorrow between 8-12. I tried calling PYK appliance who they scheduled to come out for the repairs (you would have thought I would have gotten a courtesy call from PYK appliance to say they would not be here today, I had cancelled Dr. & other appointments so it could be repaired, but now I will have to change my plans AGAIN! NO MORE HSA for me, I am fed up with HSA & PYK for sorry or NO customer service!

Original review: June 25, 2020

My experience with HSA is very negative. Every time I call I spend at least 40 minutes waiting to talk. They send shady companies to estimate, and those estimates are always twice higher than the ones from independent companies. Our septic's electrical part was not working. But contract is not clear and they could interpret it in their way to deny coverage. Same was with our dishwasher electrical board. Would not recommend it to anyone. Just a waste of money.

Original review: June 24, 2020

My AC has been out for a month. It's summer, it's hot, and I'm pregnant. I've made this company aware of the issues and after they ordered the wrong unit TWICE, they ordered a back-ordered part and I was told its going to be another 2-3 weeks before I can get the replacement part. I've tried to contact management or a complaint department, but they just gave me an address to mail a written complaint to. This is unacceptable in this day and age and this is a health risk at this point and we should not have to pay out of pocket for fans and AC units to fix an issue that should have been resolved weeks ago in order to protect my health.

HSA Home Warranty Company Information

www.onlinehsa.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: