2. Homeowners
  3. Roof Shingles

Home Depot - Roofing

Home Depot - Roofing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.08/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Home Depot - Roofing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot - Roofing?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Depot?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

In September 2018, my primary residence needed a new roof. I checked with local roofing contractors and then I chose The Home Depot because the salesperson convinced me that the Home Depot would stand behind their workmanship if I should ever have a problem. I was reassured that the Home Depot would honor a claim made by the person who contracted with The Home Depot.

My first warning that this transaction was bad was near the completion of the roofing installation, the contractor called me to say he had to add additional charges for materials not part of the original contract. A few months later, as the rain began to fall, I noticed a leak in the ceiling directly under a rooftop air conditioning unit. I called the Home Depot immediately on that day in January of 2019, and the problem has still not be fixed. In addition to the roof leak which has now resulted in damages to the ceiling, the permits were never completed. I paid for the permits with the expectation that the Home Depot would communicate with the city to complete the permits, but this has not happened. I would not recommend the Home Depot for any project. They are not too big to fail and they failed me.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

In spring of 2017 we began to research roofing companies. We needed a roof on our primary residence and our rental home. After our due diligence, we selected Homes Depot to install both roofs. Our choice to go with Home Depot was based on the warranty, as well as, their claim of "We're not going out of business, we are the big orange store on the corner. If you went with Chuck in a truck, can you tell me were his office is?"

In August 2017 we signed contracts with Home Depot to begin both installs. We should have noticed the red flag when they had a dumpster sitting in front of our home for 3+ months without starting the project. We had to call the project manager several times for a time line. Neither neighborhood's HOA appreciated the mess. Looking over our paperwork now, it took just under a YEAR to complete both projects.

Come 2020, my husband notices a leak in our kitchen. Shortly there after, our renters gave notice and we sold the rental. During the buyer's inspection of the home, they find mold in the attic. Home depot failed to reattach the dryer and sewer exhaust. Thus spilling hot, moist air into the attic creating the mold problem. As home Depot no longer does roofing, they have sent us to a 3rd party mitigation team called Genpact. It is impossible to get a hold of anyone AND they do not return calls. If we cannot solve this roof problem that home depot created on the "sale pending" home, we will realize ACTUAL LOSS. Not to mention, we have had our primary roof inspected by a third party and the 3 year old roof is leaking, buckling and has mold also. Our experience with The HOME DEPOT AT HOME SERVICES is a epic fail.

Get buying tips about Roof Shingles delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

In 2006 I had a new roof installed by Home Depot Installation Services. The roof warranty was for 25 years and the first 10 years are non-prorated. As luck would have it, after 14 years I have shingles that broken and a roof with leaks. I kept all my paperwork for this project and took it with me when I visited Home Depot. The representative took all my information and contacted me the same day. I was told that Home Depot no longer installs roofs and because I was so far beyond my warranty (?) I should contact my HOA, get a recommendation for a roofing contractor and turn it over to my insurance.

I paid almost double the amount of money to use Home Depot's installation service for the peace of mind of knowing I had such a large and reputable company standing behind their product. I have just gotten about half the life out of my roof and Home Depot has told me to turn it over to my insurance company (and people wonder why insurance is so expensive). I did complain to the representative and I was asked what I would like for them to do about my problem. I told them I did not expect for them to pay for a new roof but it should be prorated. They owe me at least 11 years of a 25 year roof which is 40-45% the cost of a similar roofing system. I was told they would see what they could do and get back to me in the next few days.

I have little confidence that I will hear back from anyone unless I call myself but I will update with any additional information. Bottom line, regardless if Home Depot does or does not help me with the cost of repairing or replacing my roof, just the fact that I am now having to argue with them over a document I have that clearly states that my roof is warrantied for 25 years should make you realize to not use their installation services.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

We used Home Depot to redo our roof about 3 years ago. Fast forward it’s leaking. We called the store and got the phone number to the warranty company Genpact. After two and a half hours on wait, I got a callback. A work order was assigned. The next move was to assign an inspector. Now a week later no response from the company at all despite emails and calls. Highly frustrated!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I purchased a commercial-grade roof on 5/13/2017. Home Depot subcontracted the roofer. The roofer was in, around, and through my asbestos tiles ignoring all state and federal guidelines for dealing with the hazardous material. They even put silicon around my windows and in between gaps in the shingles. As of today, two shingles are off, and water seems to have been coming in for over a year. I have 3 levels of water damage. Home Depot wanted to resolve and "compromise" on a settlement amount that does not cover the removal and build back of the damage interior. They also jammed me up because now I have to bring my whole house up to code.

My house was built in 1904. I cannot get a permit to do ANY work unless all these issues are addressed. They've left my roof unprotected for over a month now and my house gets waterlogged every time it rains. I contacted the BBB recently and the FTC today. Do you know, if the FTC sees more than one complaint of the same type, they will open an investigation? They will even open a class action lawsuit if warranted. If you have not contacted the FTC with your valid complaint, I highly suggest you do so. I would hate to be homeless and lose my house because of gross negligent behavior.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I am using the app to get pricing for 3 tab roofing shingles. The app says if you buy more than 39 bundles you can save about $6 per bundle. I put the number at 40 bundles and get my price. I then decide I want to see what pricing looks like at 37 bundles, just to get an idea of the pricing difference. After clearing the cart, I went back to put in 37 bundles and the screen now says save $6 per bundle IF YOU ORDER 48.....WTAF? Why was the number of bundles increased by 10 to get the savings? My guess is they are trying to force you to buy more.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I decided to pay for delivery. All I needed was 2 squares of shingles. A delivery person arrived with no shingles. Said someone else 'must' have them in his car. They never arrived. I called Home Depot 7 or 7 times. Put on hold for 40 minutes then disconnected. On hold for 20 minutes once then the phone connected but no one on the other end. I could hear people talking as I yelled "Hello" into the phone. 20 minutes of that then someone hung up on me. Finally got thru on CHAT and was told that I would have to contact the deliver people because they are separate from Home Depot and and now it is my problem to chase them down. Talk about being pushed aside and ignored.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

About 8 years ago I needed a new roof on my house. Decided to go with Home Depot since they are a big brand name company. Their salesperson came out, and we went over everything the was to be done. Roofers arrived at my house, started doing to work. They were completed within 3 days. Then this is where the problems started. Walked around the house with the roofers and noticed huge gaps where shingles were supposed to be snug up against siding on my house. The fix for that was to put layer upon layer of silicon to fill the gaps. Then issues with permits and final inspection. Finally final inspection passed.

Now 8 years later my roof is not doing so well. Called Home Depot since I am still under warranty, and come to find out they no longer install roofs. They now push me over to their warranty company Genpact. Dealing with Genpact is a joke. Communication is non existent. Finally they send someone out to inspect my roof after close to 2 months and their inspector got on my roof and told me it is one of the worst ones he's seen. He said he's putting in for a full roof replacement. So lots of time goes by since the inspection, and again no communication.

Finally got someone on the phone and they said they sent me out a statement of settlement or acknowledgment. They want to settle for 9k, but 8 years ago Home Depot charged me 21k for a full roof. And now they think 9k is going to replace the roof. I denied their letter and had to get quotes from 2 different roofers. One quote came back at 24k, the second came back at 27k. I submitted them to genpact. After 2 weeks I finally was able to get a hold of someone who told me they were having a meeting with Home Depot regarding all the cases where people had to submit quotes and that I will have an answer on 2-25-2020. I send an email to Genpact inquiring about the meeting and an answer. Where I was sent an email saying that the quotes have been submitted. I then asked how much longer I had to wait, and then was sent another email saying something different than the first.

The second reply said that the quotes will be submitted and a resolution will be had in 10 - 14 days. Hmmmm, so one email says they were already submitted, and the second says they will be submitted, so which is it, have they been or are they still in process of submitting them. And guess I was lied to about the day of the 25th for having an answer. So now my quotes are only good for 30 days, it's already been close to 15 days since I received them.

And now Genpact is saying another 10 - 14 days. Looks like my quotes will not be any good by the time they decide if they are going to pay for a new roof. Possibly making the new quotes more expensive and having to deal with Genpact again to try and get the difference. This is one of the worst experiences I have ever had to deal with. Now I know exactly why Home Depot is not doing roofs anymore. They hired shady roofing companies to do subpar work. And now they do not want to stand by the warranty claim because they are losing all the money they received.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I should have known! Home Depot At Home Services uses Sub-contractors, that subcontract out to the lowest bidder! Beware! These subcontractors (?) have proven to be unqualified and rookies! My complete tear off and install took 7 MONTHS to complete! Do you know why? Because they had used the wrong nails which had protruded through my eaves and my open beam ceiling. Sure, Home Depot gave me a $1000.00 discount, but I paid top dollar to have Top Qualified Roofers install my new roof! If I had known then what I know now - Never, ever, ever will I use Home Depot Roofing to install any more roofs. Oh, but wait! Home Depot doesn’t do roofing installations anymore!

I’ve been trying to have their warranty company come out since June 2019 for my roof that was installed in May 2015. Ever since that fateful install, I’ve been experiencing leaks in 2 parts of my roof. During one of the storms in the first year, my skylight had sprung a leak! The shingles were put in place in a very hideous pattern and the flat roofing material was placed where it covered up the patio eave! I complained about this to Mark ** (someone that would come out to inspect) but he said it looked okay. It’s hideous. This is probably why Home Depot doesn’t do roofing installation anymore - their SubContractors used unqualified people that desperately needed a job. And their warranty company can’t keep up with the demand for repairs. I’m disgusted. I used Home Depot for my Go To store for all my repairs and renovations - without a hesitation. Now, I don’t!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I had Home Depot to a complete tear off on the roof on a house that my grandfather built back in the 50s. After about a year it started leaking. I called them. They came out once and fixed that problem. Then in July of this year it started leaking again. Now it is December 16th. They still have not come out to fix the problem.

Home Depot gave the warranty work to a company called Genpact. They call me about once a month to let me know that they still have not assigned the job to anyone and that they're still trying their best. I have asked him numerous times for a complete refund so I could have another roofing company fix what they are unable to or unwilling to fix. I spent about $9,000 on this roof and I wish I would have never went to home Depot. I will never shop there again. If I only found this review site before I made the purchase I would have not used Home Depot. Very dissatisfied customer...Wade **W

Home Depot - Roofing Company Information