Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Owens Corning Shingles Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

Installed over 60 square Oakridge pro 30 shingles on new construction single family home in 2005. I was constantly finding excessive granules in gutters soon after. Placed a call to O/C in 2006 and was assured this was normal. Now 10 years later most shingles are completely void of granules exposing fiberglass mat. Filed a warranty claim and Owens Corning proposed resolution is a materials voucher for less than half of the 60 square, no labor etc. These people are criminals!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I built a new home 11 years ago and used Duration shingles which had a 30 year and a 100 MPH blow off warranty. The past few years I had several shingles blow off and fixed at my expense. In March of 2019 I had many large areas of shingles blow off. I had the local Owens sales rep come out with my contractor, who is a certified Owens installer. The rep told us that the Duration shingles of that vintage had a factory defect and we should see some compensation. The rep took pictures and sent to OC.

I then get a package asking for many items including proof of ownership, detailed pictures, shingle samples, etc. When it came down to it after many calls and discussion with the warranty department that the shingles were past the 5 year sealing and blow off warranty. We received no compensation as goodwill or anything under warranty. I am now having the installer put on CertainTeed shingles. If anyone out there is having the same issue and is thinking about a class action, please let me know. Not an easy company to deal with.

Get expert buying tips about Roof Shingles delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My new O/C shingles failed after one year; pigeon droppings caused the granules to fall off leaving ugly bare tar rings. Customer service was insulting, they told me that it was my responsibility to know better than to buy their product (really), and have now repeatedly stated that their shingles meet their own standards. None of my specific questions were answered; they could not cite any product of their own that would hold up against bird droppings. Do not do business with this company, they are marketing a rotten product and judging from the many complaints, they know it is rotten. Spread the word!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I had Owens Corning shingles installed on my home back in 2006 and immediately we noticed a lot of shingle granules coming off the shingles. Also I had an add-on on my home in 2011 and Owens Corning shingles did the same thing. I contacted Owens Corning. From the beginning they were just very rude. Very unprofessional and I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone. The shingles have always had granule problems on every Owens Corning shingle that I used on my home and to get it warrantied I was told it had a labor warranty up to 10 years. Now they're telling me it's 5.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Owens Corning ridge vent make an awful noise when wind gusts above 10 mph. Roofers never warned me. VERY LOUD! I had the same type vent before. No noise! Vinton Roofing of Vinton Virginia said it was normal for Owens Corning VentSure roof vents. I would not recommend the VentSure ridge vent or the ProEdge ridge shingles. Also, Owens Corning Duration shingles if stalled in hot weather they show a lot of damage from roofers foot traffic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We had 18 years on a 25 year roof, and we decided that it needed replacing, and we were going to do it this summer. 2018. Several "moss remover" companies that I had do maintenance on our roof strongly suggested that we replace the roof. I was hoping to get 30 years out of it, as that seems to be the industry standard. We jumped through all of the hoops, had to make several attempts to explain that we didn't buy the roof, it was on the house when we bought it NEW. However, they did reimburse us with a fair settlement after it was over. One of the things that was odd was as part of the settlement was a material voucher. I surely wasn't putting OC Shingles back on, and the roof job was already completed. Now I have a material voucher that doesn't do anything for me. Overall, I feel that they stepped up and did the right thing.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a house with shingles that are only 6 years old. I thought we had sold our house for a move to Florida but during the inspection there was a roof shingle problem. Buyer had a roofing contractor out to inspect the roof, he found no hail or weather damage but did find the Owens Corning shingles to have a manufacturing defect. I contact the home's previous owner who gave me the installer's name and found out she was never told about registering the warranty; she was told the shingles were 25-30 year shingles.

I contacted the installer and his company also said the shingles were defective and that Owen Corning should replace them. He is a Preferred Platinum member at Owens Corning but they are refuse to replace the shingles saying the warranty was not registered and was not transferable. The installer says he is trying to convenience Owens Corning to replace them but I really do not know how truthful he is as he never contacts me to give updates as it is always me calling or emailing him, many times without any response from him. Due to this problem never use Owens Corning shingles as they do not stand by their product like GAF or Timberline do according to many other roofing contractors.

Original review: March 18, 2018

After having Owens Corning Duration shingles color "AMBER" installed on three different roofing projects I have done it is absolutely the worst durability issues I have ever seen. The first one we installed I received a phone call from the homeowner about a week after insulation asking me to come by and look at his roof, when I got up there and looked at his roof if I wouldn't have known that we just installed his roof a week ago I would have thought his roof was over 5 years old. The scuff marks the granules missing on all the edges. It was horrible. My homeowner was like, "Did you guys install a used roof on my house?". He really thought that I had to go back and prove to him with an invoice of purchase and delivery receipt to his address. I told him to file a warranty claim with Owens Corning. He did.

Then I went back and looked at 2 other Amber colored roofs we had installed. One was about 3 months old the other one about 1 month prior. Same thing. I was like I will never ever sell this color again and haven't as a matter of fact. I have talked a couple of other of my clients from picking out that color. This all was about 5 years ago. Just 2 days ago I inspected a roof that was installed 18 months ago from another contractor and guess what? When I climbed up there and looked at that roof it looked horrible, it looked like it was at least a 10-year-old roof.

I asked the homeowner to pull their old paperwork to see what manufacture and the color. Guess what it was? Owens Corning amber. I explained my past experience about this shingle with this homeowner, he was like, "Wow what do we do from here". I told him to file a warranty claim against Owens Corning. He is like, "I don't want to go through the hassle". I have called a claim in for him to get him a new roof from his insurance company because that is the route he wanted to take. We'll see what happens. As a concerned contractor that does things by the book 100% I just wanted to put this out there so people are aware of it. I no longer will install Owens Corning only because we have chosen another manufacturer. Just wanted to get this out there.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We went for the 50 year TruDef or 'lifetime' shingle from Owens Corning. Four years have passed and we are adding onto the home. We provided information for the builder to order the same shingles for the addition. Bottom line, they don't match at all. The original installer came out to state that the pictures of the difference I sent them were tremendously more than he originally thought. However the sales guy they sent as a rep dismissed the difference and offered no resolution.

They might last 50 years, but you won't be able to match them. The value of my home has been diminished as you can see there is distinctly a huge difference in color. Old ones are orange and red, new ones are tan and brown. The OC rep stated they don't guarantee the color. So read the fine print carefully, as you've just spent a high dollar amount on shingles that won't hold their color, and won't match anything you order after the original install.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Owens Corning doesn't stand behind their product or certified contractors by them. My roof was put in 2005 by my previous seller. The proof was warranted 30 years but ever since we moved in 2015, the roof started leaking. We first thought just a couple leaks through vents or something but later we started having leakings everywhere from the roof and contacted the original contractor who were certified by Owens Corning. He gave me all kind of excuses. Then we contacted Owens Corning and they had someone come out and looked at the roof. Told us workmanship on our roof was horrible and will try to contact the original contractor, have them redo the work with the material supplied by them and so on. Then they never follow up.

My husband contacted them and now they changed the position saying we don't know and asking for the ownership of warranty transfer and blah... They will not discuss any matter anymore because we don't have the warranty transferred and so on. I ended up hiring a new contractor and installed GAF roof instead Owens Corning. They give you all the excuses not to stand behind their own products and contractors certified by them.

Owens Corning Shingles Company Information