Owens Corning Shingles

Compare Roofing Companies

Research top Roofing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a Owens Corning Oakridge 25 laminated shingle - self-sealing ridge shingles installed on 8/30/2001. In 2014 I noticed a little brown spot in my living room. Now in 2017 I have a large brown spot in my bedroom. I saw on this website that there have been issues with Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles. I also noticed granules in my downspouts after it had been raining. I called Owens Corning and filed a complaint. The Owens Corning customer service person said for me to get on the roof and take two shingle samples. I am 70-years-old and a widow. I will not be climbing on my roof!

Owens Corning sent an inspector out to get the samples. I had to send all kind of documentation to Owens Corning stating that I lived in the home. I received a letter from Owens Corning stating that my claim had been denied. I called a home inspector; he climbed into the attic and saw where there had been leakage on the plywood on the roof and around the one of the vents, and additional leaking and rusty nails. He also took pictures of some of the shingles on the roof that had holes and torn places on my roof. This Oakridge Roof was supposed to last until the year 2031!!! That is not happening. I am getting bids right now to have my roof replaced, plus replace plywood that got damaged.

Product failure and warranty issue - My house was built in 2005. The roofing was put on April 2005 with 30YR-PRO DRIFTWOOD, the asphalt granules are badly coming off and fiberglass is showing though I have had a top notch very experienced roofing company come out to look and to send samples to the lab and talk with Owens Corning. After all their hard work my letter I finally received had said my roofing is failing and they offered me a settlement of a whopping 2,265.78. That's only 73.26% of the material which their warranty states 1-10 YRS 100%, 11-40 YRS 80%, reduced by 2% every year thereafter until 40. When your roof is only 11years old and falling apart and not expecting to replace it until you are close or retired might I add this does not cover labor expenses! I hope by sharing my info more will. MAYBE soon something might be done because this is not fair business. If your product has a problem and you're aware then FIX it!!

I bought the house in 2013 and now am told my roof is shot. It is 9 years old, build in 2007 and I was told by three different roofers that it is due to defective Owen Corning shingles. I called the company and the response I got was the original owner didn't register the warranty and they didn't transfer it to me. So they won't do anything. So they should stop saying 25 year warranty. I get that is a nice way to avoid paying claims but a good company that cared about their product would honor the warranty. I mean they know the shingles are theirs and they know there are a ton of cases of this occurring but since I didn't know the warranty had to be transferred (which it couldn't have been anyway the original owner never registered it) to me they get to avoid repair costs they should be responsible for. I have emailed their CFO, media relations guy, and as many others that I can but I expect nothing to happen.

June of 2016, I ordered 12Sq of 30 year Owens Corning Duration Shingles in Chateau Green to cover my barn in NY. I wanted a deep forest green color to correspond with a future color scheme we were planning and Owens appeared to have exactly what we wanted. So, I picked the color direct from the Owens website based on the photo provided. I purchased and had the material delivered to my NY site and hired a contractor to install the shingles. Upon completion of the job the contractor emailed me a photo of the finished product. The shingles were BLUE not GREEN! They were not even close to the color depicted on their website! Now I'm stuck with a stupid looking blue roof!

Now, 8 months later I received a call telling me that the roofing granular material is visibly washing off the shingles and pooling at the drip line of the building. Not only was the color misrepresented on their website, the material is defective as well! My suggestion to anyone looking for roofing material is to avoid this brand, color and model of material. I did not bother contacting Owens because I have read other complaints as to the defective material with no relief from the company so, decided not to subject myself to added brain damage dealing with them. FYI: The roof I replaced with this Owens product was GAF and was installed 40 years ago!

I need a new roof and the contractor used Owens Corning Duration Shingles, Duration model. It is now 2016 and I still notice after normal nonwindy rains granules in the gutter downspout catch pan. I would think this would have stopped by now. Or is this normal?? Picture attached. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning?

We had our roof replaced by Chico Roofing in 2011. About a year later it started to leak so we had the contractor return to find and fix the leak and we thought that he had fixed it but the next year and every year since it has leaked. The contractor was great in his attempts to correct the problem and then he determined the shingles were defective and he contacted Owens Corning. They wanted pictures, shingle samples, proof of purchase and ownership of house at the time of purchase. I felt that this was reasonable but started getting antsy when they wanted more pictures of front and back of the house along with the address. I started thinking they were giving me the runaround but I didn't realize they were wanting to see if the attic was properly vented.

Finally a sales rep. came and checked the house and reported back to claims department. They have since sent me a check to cover the labor and a voucher for full shingle replacement. I cannot be happier with final outcome. By the way the shingles being replaced still look great. You would not think any is wrong with them.

I thought the whole point of putting down the underlayment was for nail sealing. For waterproofing under the shingles. We nail right through that underlayment on the deck because when they sell it to us that is how it is sold, as water protection under the shingles and you should be able to nail through it. Those guys say they do all this testing, this and the other to proof if it waterproof. Well I met a guy from Owens Corning, said he is from corporate, works with the sales managers. Met him here in Toledo. Guy told me those underlayments are not really for waterproofing, they don't do anything for the nails. In other words underlayment can leak. I can't understand what the point of this product is if it does not protect water under the shingle. Shingles don't leak so why do I need this. Owens Corning has sold us a bill of goods. Very disappointed on their useless, expensive underlayment.

2 hailstorms and 1 hurricane Strong. What can I say, almost everyone in my neighborhood has had their roof replaced at least once except for the houses built by our builder who used Owens Corning Duration. I usually don't reviews but I thought this product was worth the time. This review is from everyone in Canyon Gate Subdivision who has Owens Corning. You get what you pay for. 5 Stars.

Bought a new spec house (7 years old) from a builder that has OC Brookville shingles. Some of the shingles has worn off the asphalt on the leading edge to where the fiberglass underlayment is exposed. Also the shingles have faded differently in streaks. Filed a warranty complaint with OC; replacement cost $23000, warranty settlement $2550!! I plan to sue. Please contact me if interested in a class action lawsuit.

Bottom Line: NEVER PURCHASE FROM OWENS CORNING UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT YOU WILL NEVER NEED ADDITIONAL SHINGLES TO MATCH YOUR PURCHASE!!! Think: storm damage or future remodel. We purchased Berkshire lifetime shingles (made by OC) for our new home in November 2007. In June 2016, we decided to add a family room onto our home only to discover that the color of our Berkshire shingles (New Bedford Bronze) had been discontinued. We called Owens Corning, they refused to make any efforts to contact their warehouses to see if any surplus was available. Of course, they didn't provided us with information to contact them ourselves either. So, we will either have a different color shingle on our addition, or if we want the entire roof to match, we will have to re-roof the whole house.

I had 4 different roofs torn off including Cedar Shake shingles and had Owens Corning Oakridge installed. I have an attic unit air conditioner and now with the hot and humid I have the most awful smell coming from my vents in the ceiling when the A/C is on. I had A/C man check and found nothing wrong then had ducts cleaned and $700 later, I still have the AWFUL musty smell pouring out the A/C vents. HELP, WHAT DO I DO NOW???

4 years ago had a new Owens Corning Oakridge with fire/ice installed in the valleys etc. The contractor did an excellent job. However, we first noticed leaks in the bedroom upstairs then the bathroom/hallway and then the formal living room ceiling started caving in. For the past 2 months we have called numerous times (and get the runaround), stating they would send a rep out and then a week later to call and was told they don't have a rep in our area. Then I found out that they do in fact have a rep who came out, took pictures, and stated that without question the shingles have failed and that this is bad!!

Still got the runaround from Owens Corning stating that I needed to fill out all the paperwork of my tax statement... and samples and that they would send that package right out; a week later found they never did but we eventually did and sent back in. Now they state that they will give a voucher for shingles... So my house is destroyed and they are not willing to do anything to fix the damage their product created? And want me to replace the roof with more of their product? Seriously? Customer Support is a Joke and Warranty is a Joke - We are seeking legal counsel today!!!

Roof has defective shingles. Owens Corning shingles were installed on the home at **, a model home built by chesmar homes, in 2007. The home was sold to the first owners in 2009. My wife and I bought the home in 2013. In sept 2015 I noticed a small water leak in the upstairs front bedroom. I got a contractor to repair the leak and he told me the shingles were defective. The leak was fixed and I notified my insurance company to have the bedroom wall repaired. I then notified Chesmar Homes of the defective shingles and was told to contact Owens Corning about the shingles. I was informed that no warranty transfer was done in 2009 and thus no transfer to us in 2013 and no warranty is in effect. Owens Corning will not honor any warranty.

Before 2006 I had roof tabs coming off my roof, so I was worried about leaks. I had a local contractor do a tear off and install a 40-year warranty architectural shingle. Now I have whole shingles coming off with some high winds that happen once in a while. The contractor was back two years ago and now has to come again. More whole shingles are coming off. What a terrible design of shingle because they almost look like they are scored to break. Also, the contractor never removed the tar seal on the back of the shingles (do they ever?). I would not recommend OC at all.

My husband and I purchased Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration shingles (top of the line) for our home in 2013 and added onto our home in 2015 using the same exact shingle but was much brighter than the other. It was so different it appeared we had added on a completely different roof. I have brand new shingles from the original roof to compare two and there is such a big difference and that's when I decided to contact Owens Corning, I got no results whatsoever. They told me it is not a defect. It is from a different color lot and that is not under any warranty.

So I'm letting all buyers be aware if you buy a roof from Owens Corning and have to replace a section or add on to your home there is a very good chance the shingle will not match. I have been on the phone with this company numerous times and they are simply rude. I had their rep at my home who was misleading. I sent photos in and thought that would help and still nothing. They still say it is not a warrant defect even though Vicki from customer service agreed after seeing the pictures that there is a noticeable difference.

My wife and I are retired and in 2005 needed a new roof, we chose OC and in 2009 started having leaks in the kitchen and master bedroom went up and found shingles not sealed. In 2010 called a roofer in and found most shingles were not sealed. I contacted OC and they said that the sealing on their 30 yr shingle was only guaranteed for five (five) years. That is totally unacceptable. OC would not help in any way. Today as most all the roof is not sealed, I am having to replace a 10 yr. roof. I would not give OC a 1 if anything was lower.

I installed an Owens Corning HP Weatherguard, 40 year roof, with the intent of retiring and be secure from that expense going forward. Now, as I prepare to retire, I find the roof actually lasted 12 years in a non-severe climate. My neighbor has a 25 year old roof and a 30 year shingle, and is laughing at my decision to buy high quality OC product. OC offered to give me a credit on the same shingles worth 22% of the cost of a new roof. So they produce a defective product, it lasts 30% of the expected life, and leave me and my wife (retired with little money) to pay 80% of the cost to replace their poor quality product. I don't understand how a company can have such poor business ethics and leave the home owner subsidizing their business.

My roof started going bad next year after it was install. I went with Owens Corning for the reason that they were supposed to be the best. And find out the hard way that they are the worst. They will not back up their product. Their customer service is a joke, when they answer they sound like they're attending the corner liquor store. It’s funny I use atlas in all my other house and use them for my personal (the one I live) and this happens. By the way they are architectural. Stand up and add your reviews. They are taking advantage of us! Let's take them down passing the word!

We put Owens Corning Shingles on our home in 2013. They are all sliding down. We have had to fix multiple spots so far and don't have the money to replace. I am contacting the company today. My son is on roof now and all of them can be lifted right off. This is so disappointing. Now that I've seen other reviews, I wish we would never have bought these.

Complete tear off & installed O/C duration dimensional shingles. 40 square of roof that now needs to be removed, hauled to the landfill & Owens Corning will not back their product. My customer contacted O/C to see if they would help with a new roof. They are willing to give my customer enough credit to reorder 30 squares of their shingle. My customer refuses to put their product back on their house. I can't blame them but how do I keep my customer happy without me losing more than $15,000 to redo their roof? Thanks to Owens Corning Top Roofing.

BUYER BEWARE, OC 50 year warranty is a scam. You need a lawyer to review ANYTHING from them prior to purchase to understand what you ARE NOT getting. We "thought" we had a 50yr warranty but after their product failing after 8 years our proration went down 25%. The "award" offered is ONLY on replacement with their product and is only given to the supplier NOT the homeowner.

I am a roofing contractor in the business for more than thirty five years. What had prompted me to post here is the photo shown with the headlines " common complaints with Owens Corning Shingles". My question is: Why in the world show a photo of what is obviously an original ELK' product and blame OC for its failure. I will bet money, that is an old 25 year limited warranty ELK fiberglass Shingle. I have seen a lot of shingle failures in my life and only once was it an OC product. The industry has batted around failure for years but never seems to print whom has the most failures, GAF.

I am a retired person, 74 years old and is in the process of remodeling my house. I have a general contractor who hired an unknown roof by me, a who has installed Owens Corning Roof shingles for a new roof. I have a gut feeling this work is not quality. The shingles do not look like they are installed properly. I have fear that Owens Corning will not stand behind any lifetime guarantees made for this roof. Please refer to my attached photo of the roof shingle installation. Can you help me or direct me where to go to get confidence that the roof is built properly?

In 2000 I purchased a home which required a new roof. With a complete tear-off of the existing roofing I had the above product installed by a professional roofing company. THIS PRODUCT HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT A ROOFING HORROR STORY almost from year four. EVERY YEAR since, I have been sealing down curling edges, patching over failed granular adhesion, sealing horizontal cracks and watching small pits on the surface of these shingles multiply with each passing year. It is now 2015 and I am really in need of a complete tear off and replacement as it seems leaks are imminent.

Last fall I used up countless tubes of caulk to seal down dozens and dozens of shingles that have started to lose most of their adhesion, as these shingles have really started to fail. Anybody reading this... please pay attention to all the other complaints about these shingles... We are all saying just about the same thing. This is no joke! I have not contacted OC... Seems like they do not do anything anyway about their horrible product. I am 68 year's old.. and these shingles have been a constant problem for the last 15 years. Furious just about sums my opinion up about this company and their product...

I paid almost $13,000 to have Duration Premium shingles installed on my central Florida home in late 2007. I went with Owens Corning Duration Premium shingles because of their "premium" quality, their lifetime warranty and their high wind resistance. Within 3 months of the installation, I started having leaks. Every time it rains, I walk around the house to find the new leaks. Yes, it's that bad. Large areas of my roof have been replaced... some more than once. I've repainted all my ceilings at least twice and some rooms have been painted too many times to count.

I've also had some ceilings fall in due to being so soaked. Nailheads all over my roof have corroded to where some have completely disintegrated because of the sealant strip on the shingles which traps moisture. When my contractor pulls one shingle, large areas come up with it in sheets as the nails are no longer securing the shingles to the roof. I thought I was getting a lifetime roof; instead it's been a nightmare.

Owens Corning put me through the wringer when I made a warranty claim... loads of pictures, we had to pull shingles, and provide more pictures and then more... even though they knew that the Duration Premium shingles that were installed on my roof were defective. (I have read that the Duration Premium shingles no longer come with the plastic strip.)

Today I received their "full settlement" of $1,800. Accepting it will release them from any liability. I have not yet accepted it. I'm in shock as that's a pittance compared to what a new roof will cost. Their lifetime warranty is a joke. My contractor has been wonderful responding each time I've called to report a new leak. I know they've been as frustrated by this issue as I have.

In an unsigned FINAL DISPOSITION, ** advised us that our claim was closed. She states that Owens Corning has full confidence in their INSPECTION PROCESS and the results THEIR EXPERT found on February 25, 2015. On that THEIR EXPERT arrived at my home in a white Ford pickup. The truck was without any form of Identification. The Expert did not have any form of name badge, ID and did not produce a Business Card.

After spending 5 minutes on my roof, he announced that the roof was fine. Before he jumped back in his truck he let me know that his C.E.O. had purchased a home for him in The Villages. You See he said, Owens Corning has soooooo many Claims here, that it was too expensive to fly down here from Ohio every week. I am sure that his C.E.O. will get around to providing him with Identification.

The Expert was our second visit from a Representative of Owens Corning. Our first visit came from a local Roofing Company. He arrived in a truck with ID, Business Cards and a Name Tag. He removed a 2 shingle sample from our roof, which he sent to Owens Corning. He spent 45 minutes with me and said when the work was done we would not be obligated to use his company. The Expert showed up almost 4 months later. This Month We plan to file with The Better Business Bureau. OUR FINAL ANSWER: This Claim is not Closed.

It started 4 years ago - been arguing with contractor since then -- not sure of the problem -- not a roofer -- but have knowledge of contracting on all aspects of building -- and it is either bad shingles or bad installation -- guess I will have to contact an attorney -- it just keeps getting worse and need something done -- NOW.

Built my house in 2005 and 2006. In 2013 I started noticing dark streaks on my shingles. My contractor bought the shingles at Best Products in Roanoke, VA. I have two spare shingles that says 40 AR. All the dark streaks are in front of the house, and I live in a cul-desac. I first went to Best Products, and they said it was algae. They gave me the 800# to call Owens Corning.

The first time I called, I was told A rep. for the company would be out in the next few days to look at the roof and get samples. 7 days later, and the rep. didn't show up, so I called back. I was told that time that they were sending me a form to fill out, and as soon as they got the form back, a roofing contractor would come out and look at my roof. I had to show that I was the original owner, had to send them a copy of the deed and tax records. I waited about two weeks, and called again. Got the same person that I talked to before, someone named micheal. I asked if I could please speak to a supervisor, or someone other than a telephone operator. He got really offended, and informed me that he did other things beside answer the telephone. I explained that all I wanted was something done about my roof. He then told me that he was sending more forms for me to fill out. I said fine, but when could I expect the roofing contractor?

The second time I talked to him, he said they had contractors in my area, then I was told that he called around, and couldn't find anyone in my area, that all the roofers were busy putting on roofs before cold weather, but I could find my own roofer. I could not believe all the stuff they wanted on this new package. A warranty claim evaluation form fully completed, photo of front of entire house including address rear view of entire structure from ground level pitch and slope, affected areas close up and wide angle, ventilation (soffit, eave, box vents, etc.) fastener placement on installed material. I’m to lift a shingle to photograph fasteners on the shingle below. Two full size shingles, a dark and a light. Proof of ownership again, property tax bill, deed, proof of ownership at the time the material was purchased and installed.

I'm a 77 year old widow, but since there is not a roofer or company rep. to be found in these parts, then I'll just have to climb on that roof and gather the information myself. (ha ha!) NOTHING HAS HAPPENED SINCE I DIDN'T SEND IN ALL THE OTHER STUFF THEY ARE ASKING FOR. I don’t think they would take responsibility even if I did. The biggest part of an elderly persons worth is tied up in their home. It’s a shame there’s not some kind of federal regulations protecting homeowners from companies that sell faulty or substandard building materials. I understand the ceo of Owens-Corning gets 8+ million dollars a year salary.

Well I'm very through my process here so take this with a grain of salt. I just bought a home and on Jan 10th I will have lived in it for 2 years. After the first month of ownership I had shingles blowing off. I contacted the dealer from which I bought my home from and they said it's because the shingles need to be baked on by the sun in order to stick. I'm no roofer so I said ok and went on with life. 3 months later, 6 months later, and now 2 years later I have shingles blowing off with every gust of wind. I just started the claim process with OC so I will see how it works for me. After reading horror stories on this website I'm now very concerned. I will update this as I go through the process.

After about six months of waiting and having a rep come out to the house and remove shingles that were still under warranty they told me they decided the warranty has to be occupied by us before 1995 which it was not. After showing them proof of ownership and removing brittle dry shingles off of our roof then replacing them with an entirely different color they tell me it isn't covered under their warranty. If they don't stand by their warranty they shouldn't be in business. A roofer in town identified our shingles and strongly recommended contacting Owens to make them good. What a waste of time! I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Owens Corning Shingles Company Profile