1.45/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratings

93 Owens Corning Shingles Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a house with shingles that are only 6 years old. I thought we had sold our house for a move to Florida but during the inspection there was a roof shingle problem. Buyer had a roofing contractor out to inspect the roof, he found no hail or weather damage but did find the Owens Corning shingles to have a manufacturing defect. I contact the home's previous owner who gave me the installer's name and found out she was never told about registering the warranty; she was told the shingles were 25-30 year shingles.

I contacted the installer and his company also said the shingles were defective and that Owen Corning should replace them. He is a Preferred Platinum member at Owens Corning but they are refuse to replace the shingles saying the warranty was not registered and was not transferable. The installer says he is trying to convenience Owens Corning to replace them but I really do not know how truthful he is as he never contacts me to give updates as it is always me calling or emailing him, many times without any response from him. Due to this problem never use Owens Corning shingles as they do not stand by their product like GAF or Timberline do according to many other roofing contractors.

Original review: March 18, 2018

After having Owens Corning Duration shingles color "AMBER" installed on three different roofing projects I have done it is absolutely the worst durability issues I have ever seen. The first one we installed I received a phone call from the homeowner about a week after insulation asking me to come by and look at his roof, when I got up there and looked at his roof if I wouldn't have known that we just installed his roof a week ago I would have thought his roof was over 5 years old. The scuff marks the granules missing on all the edges. It was horrible. My homeowner was like, "Did you guys install a used roof on my house?". He really thought that I had to go back and prove to him with an invoice of purchase and delivery receipt to his address. I told him to file a warranty claim with Owens Corning. He did.

Then I went back and looked at 2 other Amber colored roofs we had installed. One was about 3 months old the other one about 1 month prior. Same thing. I was like I will never ever sell this color again and haven't as a matter of fact. I have talked a couple of other of my clients from picking out that color. This all was about 5 years ago. Just 2 days ago I inspected a roof that was installed 18 months ago from another contractor and guess what? When I climbed up there and looked at that roof it looked horrible, it looked like it was at least a 10-year-old roof.

I asked the homeowner to pull their old paperwork to see what manufacture and the color. Guess what it was? Owens Corning amber. I explained my past experience about this shingle with this homeowner, he was like, "Wow what do we do from here". I told him to file a warranty claim against Owens Corning. He is like, "I don't want to go through the hassle". I have called a claim in for him to get him a new roof from his insurance company because that is the route he wanted to take. We'll see what happens. As a concerned contractor that does things by the book 100% I just wanted to put this out there so people are aware of it. I no longer will install Owens Corning only because we have chosen another manufacturer. Just wanted to get this out there.

Get expert buying tips about Roof Shingles delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2018

We went for the 50 year TruDef or 'lifetime' shingle from Owens Corning. Four years have passed and we are adding onto the home. We provided information for the builder to order the same shingles for the addition. Bottom line, they don't match at all. The original installer came out to state that the pictures of the difference I sent them were tremendously more than he originally thought. However the sales guy they sent as a rep dismissed the difference and offered no resolution.

They might last 50 years, but you won't be able to match them. The value of my home has been diminished as you can see there is distinctly a huge difference in color. Old ones are orange and red, new ones are tan and brown. The OC rep stated they don't guarantee the color. So read the fine print carefully, as you've just spent a high dollar amount on shingles that won't hold their color, and won't match anything you order after the original install.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Owens Corning doesn't stand behind their product or certified contractors by them. My roof was put in 2005 by my previous seller. The proof was warranted 30 years but ever since we moved in 2015, the roof started leaking. We first thought just a couple leaks through vents or something but later we started having leakings everywhere from the roof and contacted the original contractor who were certified by Owens Corning. He gave me all kind of excuses. Then we contacted Owens Corning and they had someone come out and looked at the roof. Told us workmanship on our roof was horrible and will try to contact the original contractor, have them redo the work with the material supplied by them and so on. Then they never follow up.

My husband contacted them and now they changed the position saying we don't know and asking for the ownership of warranty transfer and blah... They will not discuss any matter anymore because we don't have the warranty transferred and so on. I ended up hiring a new contractor and installed GAF roof instead Owens Corning. They give you all the excuses not to stand behind their own products and contractors certified by them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

First we paid extra for a upgraded warranty. Our roof was put on By a reputable roofing contractor. During hurricane Irma our ridge vent shingles blew off. Our shingles are supposed to be rated for 115 mph sustained winds. We got nowhere near that. Upon calling Owens Corning they want you to jump through all kinds of hoops. Meanwhile we had an exposed roof. They recommended we tarp the vent. Well our roof was only 2 years old and I was not going to nail furring strips and create more damage. We asked them to send out one of their people. That was unacceptable. So I would not recommend them at all and definitely do not use a shingled ridge vent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Owens Corning?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Owens Corning Oakridge shingles installed in 2006 are defective. The granules covering the shingle that protect the shingle from the sun are falling off. I filed a warranty claim and jumped through all the hoops that made it difficult. Owens Corning agreed that the shingles are defective and offered me 20 square of shingles... I need 30 square. They wouldn't give any ridge cap or increase their settlement offer. This company does not stand behind their product. They spend a lot of money on advertising and not much on developing quality products. It just a matter of time before they file bankruptcy again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

MiraVista case: In the year 2002, I contacted Owens Corning Co. in Toledo Ohio and expressed to them, I was interested in a permanent roof system for our two story house and detached garage, could they help me. I talked to a Mr. Jeff **, Owens Corning District Sales Manager for the Mira Vista roof system. Mr. ** directed me to a distributor; ABC Supply Co. Inc. of Taylor MI, where eventually the roofing material was purchased. On my request, Mr. ** also recommended a roofer for the specialized installation, Mies Roofing of Flat Rock, MI. The MiraVista roof system cost us $16,802.00 including labor. In 2014 we trimmed the pine tree branches in front of the house because in a storm sometimes it touched the upper roof. In 2016 we changed the ceiling tiles from fiber glass to Armstrong tiles in our master bed room on the upper level. After the first rainstorm we noticed a brown spot on one of the ceiling tiles.

We had the roof repaired by HomeAdvisor recommended, Renner Bros. Construction Inc. of Ferndale MI. Mr. Dale ** of Renner Bros. came out three times to repair the roof. The roof is still leaking. On the Internet I found out, that there was a Class Action Lawsuit against MiraVista Roof System. On April 18th 2017, contacted Owens Corning regarding the MiraVista Roof that leaks. Talked with representative Ms. Kay, she is assigned to the MiraVista Roof System cases. I explained my roof leak situation to her. She told me, since there was a Class Action Lawsuit and was a settlement they will not help me.

I should have known about it. It was in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. I told her "I don't read these papers and nobody contacted me regarding the Class Action Lawsuit." According the dates available to me Owens Corning was already under litigation when knowingly sold the defective MiraVista roof system to me. As of today Owens Corning will not help me.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I invested in the Owens Corning 50-yr Duration shingle roofing system from a Owens Corning Platinum preferred contractor in my area. My old roof was leaking so bad... My new roof has been installed 1.5 yrs and has performed flawlessly. Most reviews I have read on here is due to faulty installation rather than product. Your labor is just as important as the product. Buyers beware of lousy contractors trying to blame the manufacturers.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I had a Owens Corning Oakridge 25 laminated shingle - self-sealing ridge shingles installed on 8/30/2001. In 2014 I noticed a little brown spot in my living room. Now in 2017 I have a large brown spot in my bedroom. I saw on this website that there have been issues with Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles. I also noticed granules in my downspouts after it had been raining. I called Owens Corning and filed a complaint. The Owens Corning customer service person said for me to get on the roof and take two shingle samples. I am 70-years-old and a widow. I will not be climbing on my roof!

Owens Corning sent an inspector out to get the samples. I had to send all kind of documentation to Owens Corning stating that I lived in the home. I received a letter from Owens Corning stating that my claim had been denied. I called a home inspector; he climbed into the attic and saw where there had been leakage on the plywood on the roof and around the one of the vents, and additional leaking and rusty nails. He also took pictures of some of the shingles on the roof that had holes and torn places on my roof. This Oakridge Roof was supposed to last until the year 2031!!! That is not happening. I am getting bids right now to have my roof replaced, plus replace plywood that got damaged.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Product failure and warranty issue - My house was built in 2005. The roofing was put on April 2005 with 30YR-PRO DRIFTWOOD, the asphalt granules are badly coming off and fiberglass is showing though I have had a top notch very experienced roofing company come out to look and to send samples to the lab and talk with Owens Corning. After all their hard work my letter I finally received had said my roofing is failing and they offered me a settlement of a whopping 2,265.78. That's only 73.26% of the material which their warranty states 1-10 YRS 100%, 11-40 YRS 80%, reduced by 2% every year thereafter until 40. When your roof is only 11years old and falling apart and not expecting to replace it until you are close or retired might I add this does not cover labor expenses! I hope by sharing my info more will. MAYBE soon something might be done because this is not fair business. If your product has a problem and you're aware then FIX it!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I bought the house in 2013 and now am told my roof is shot. It is 9 years old, build in 2007 and I was told by three different roofers that it is due to defective Owen Corning shingles. I called the company and the response I got was the original owner didn't register the warranty and they didn't transfer it to me. So they won't do anything. So they should stop saying 25 year warranty. I get that is a nice way to avoid paying claims but a good company that cared about their product would honor the warranty. I mean they know the shingles are theirs and they know there are a ton of cases of this occurring but since I didn't know the warranty had to be transferred (which it couldn't have been anyway the original owner never registered it) to me they get to avoid repair costs they should be responsible for. I have emailed their CFO, media relations guy, and as many others that I can but I expect nothing to happen.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

June of 2016, I ordered 12Sq of 30 year Owens Corning Duration Shingles in Chateau Green to cover my barn in NY. I wanted a deep forest green color to correspond with a future color scheme we were planning and Owens appeared to have exactly what we wanted. So, I picked the color direct from the Owens website based on the photo provided. I purchased and had the material delivered to my NY site and hired a contractor to install the shingles. Upon completion of the job the contractor emailed me a photo of the finished product. The shingles were BLUE not GREEN! They were not even close to the color depicted on their website! Now I'm stuck with a stupid looking blue roof!

Now, 8 months later I received a call telling me that the roofing granular material is visibly washing off the shingles and pooling at the drip line of the building. Not only was the color misrepresented on their website, the material is defective as well! My suggestion to anyone looking for roofing material is to avoid this brand, color and model of material. I did not bother contacting Owens because I have read other complaints as to the defective material with no relief from the company so, decided not to subject myself to added brain damage dealing with them. FYI: The roof I replaced with this Owens product was GAF and was installed 40 years ago!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

I need a new roof and the contractor used Owens Corning Duration Shingles, Duration model. It is now 2016 and I still notice after normal nonwindy rains granules in the gutter downspout catch pan. I would think this would have stopped by now. Or is this normal?? Picture attached. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

We had our roof replaced by Chico Roofing in 2011. About a year later it started to leak so we had the contractor return to find and fix the leak and we thought that he had fixed it but the next year and every year since it has leaked. The contractor was great in his attempts to correct the problem and then he determined the shingles were defective and he contacted Owens Corning. They wanted pictures, shingle samples, proof of purchase and ownership of house at the time of purchase. I felt that this was reasonable but started getting antsy when they wanted more pictures of front and back of the house along with the address. I started thinking they were giving me the runaround but I didn't realize they were wanting to see if the attic was properly vented.

Finally a sales rep. came and checked the house and reported back to claims department. They have since sent me a check to cover the labor and a voucher for full shingle replacement. I cannot be happier with final outcome. By the way the shingles being replaced still look great. You would not think any is wrong with them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I thought the whole point of putting down the underlayment was for nail sealing. For waterproofing under the shingles. We nail right through that underlayment on the deck because when they sell it to us that is how it is sold, as water protection under the shingles and you should be able to nail through it. Those guys say they do all this testing, this and the other to proof if it waterproof. Well I met a guy from Owens Corning, said he is from corporate, works with the sales managers. Met him here in Toledo. Guy told me those underlayments are not really for waterproofing, they don't do anything for the nails. In other words underlayment can leak. I can't understand what the point of this product is if it does not protect water under the shingle. Shingles don't leak so why do I need this. Owens Corning has sold us a bill of goods. Very disappointed on their useless, expensive underlayment.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

2 hailstorms and 1 hurricane Strong. What can I say, almost everyone in my neighborhood has had their roof replaced at least once except for the houses built by our builder who used Owens Corning Duration. I usually don't reviews but I thought this product was worth the time. This review is from everyone in Canyon Gate Subdivision who has Owens Corning. You get what you pay for. 5 Stars.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Bought a new spec house (7 years old) from a builder that has OC Brookville shingles. Some of the shingles has worn off the asphalt on the leading edge to where the fiberglass underlayment is exposed. Also the shingles have faded differently in streaks. Filed a warranty complaint with OC; replacement cost $23000, warranty settlement $2550!! I plan to sue. Please contact me if interested in a class action lawsuit.

Original review: July 27, 2016

Bottom Line: NEVER PURCHASE FROM OWENS CORNING UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN THAT YOU WILL NEVER NEED ADDITIONAL SHINGLES TO MATCH YOUR PURCHASE!!! Think: storm damage or future remodel. We purchased Berkshire lifetime shingles (made by OC) for our new home in November 2007. In June 2016, we decided to add a family room onto our home only to discover that the color of our Berkshire shingles (New Bedford Bronze) had been discontinued. We called Owens Corning, they refused to make any efforts to contact their warehouses to see if any surplus was available. Of course, they didn't provided us with information to contact them ourselves either. So, we will either have a different color shingle on our addition, or if we want the entire roof to match, we will have to re-roof the whole house.

Original review: June 23, 2016

I had 4 different roofs torn off including Cedar Shake shingles and had Owens Corning Oakridge installed. I have an attic unit air conditioner and now with the hot and humid I have the most awful smell coming from my vents in the ceiling when the A/C is on. I had A/C man check and found nothing wrong then had ducts cleaned and $700 later, I still have the AWFUL musty smell pouring out the A/C vents. HELP, WHAT DO I DO NOW???

Original review: April 25, 2016

4 years ago had a new Owens Corning Oakridge with fire/ice installed in the valleys etc. The contractor did an excellent job. However, we first noticed leaks in the bedroom upstairs then the bathroom/hallway and then the formal living room ceiling started caving in. For the past 2 months we have called numerous times (and get the runaround), stating they would send a rep out and then a week later to call and was told they don't have a rep in our area. Then I found out that they do in fact have a rep who came out, took pictures, and stated that without question the shingles have failed and that this is bad!!

Still got the runaround from Owens Corning stating that I needed to fill out all the paperwork of my tax statement... and samples and that they would send that package right out; a week later found they never did but we eventually did and sent back in. Now they state that they will give a voucher for shingles... So my house is destroyed and they are not willing to do anything to fix the damage their product created? And want me to replace the roof with more of their product? Seriously? Customer Support is a Joke and Warranty is a Joke - We are seeking legal counsel today!!!

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

Roof has defective shingles. Owens Corning shingles were installed on the home at **, a model home built by chesmar homes, in 2007. The home was sold to the first owners in 2009. My wife and I bought the home in 2013. In sept 2015 I noticed a small water leak in the upstairs front bedroom. I got a contractor to repair the leak and he told me the shingles were defective. The leak was fixed and I notified my insurance company to have the bedroom wall repaired. I then notified Chesmar Homes of the defective shingles and was told to contact Owens Corning about the shingles. I was informed that no warranty transfer was done in 2009 and thus no transfer to us in 2013 and no warranty is in effect. Owens Corning will not honor any warranty.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

Before 2006 I had roof tabs coming off my roof, so I was worried about leaks. I had a local contractor do a tear off and install a 40-year warranty architectural shingle. Now I have whole shingles coming off with some high winds that happen once in a while. The contractor was back two years ago and now has to come again. More whole shingles are coming off. What a terrible design of shingle because they almost look like they are scored to break. Also, the contractor never removed the tar seal on the back of the shingles (do they ever?). I would not recommend OC at all.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

My husband and I purchased Owens Corning TruDefinition Duration shingles (top of the line) for our home in 2013 and added onto our home in 2015 using the same exact shingle but was much brighter than the other. It was so different it appeared we had added on a completely different roof. I have brand new shingles from the original roof to compare two and there is such a big difference and that's when I decided to contact Owens Corning, I got no results whatsoever. They told me it is not a defect. It is from a different color lot and that is not under any warranty.

So I'm letting all buyers be aware if you buy a roof from Owens Corning and have to replace a section or add on to your home there is a very good chance the shingle will not match. I have been on the phone with this company numerous times and they are simply rude. I had their rep at my home who was misleading. I sent photos in and thought that would help and still nothing. They still say it is not a warrant defect even though Vicki from customer service agreed after seeing the pictures that there is a noticeable difference.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2015

My wife and I are retired and in 2005 needed a new roof, we chose OC and in 2009 started having leaks in the kitchen and master bedroom went up and found shingles not sealed. In 2010 called a roofer in and found most shingles were not sealed. I contacted OC and they said that the sealing on their 30 yr shingle was only guaranteed for five (five) years. That is totally unacceptable. OC would not help in any way. Today as most all the roof is not sealed, I am having to replace a 10 yr. roof. I would not give OC a 1 if anything was lower.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

I installed an Owens Corning HP Weatherguard, 40 year roof, with the intent of retiring and be secure from that expense going forward. Now, as I prepare to retire, I find the roof actually lasted 12 years in a non-severe climate. My neighbor has a 25 year old roof and a 30 year shingle, and is laughing at my decision to buy high quality OC product. OC offered to give me a credit on the same shingles worth 22% of the cost of a new roof. So they produce a defective product, it lasts 30% of the expected life, and leave me and my wife (retired with little money) to pay 80% of the cost to replace their poor quality product. I don't understand how a company can have such poor business ethics and leave the home owner subsidizing their business.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

My roof started going bad next year after it was install. I went with Owens Corning for the reason that they were supposed to be the best. And find out the hard way that they are the worst. They will not back up their product. Their customer service is a joke, when they answer they sound like they're attending the corner liquor store. It’s funny I use atlas in all my other house and use them for my personal (the one I live) and this happens. By the way they are architectural. Stand up and add your reviews. They are taking advantage of us! Let's take them down passing the word!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

We put Owens Corning Shingles on our home in 2013. They are all sliding down. We have had to fix multiple spots so far and don't have the money to replace. I am contacting the company today. My son is on roof now and all of them can be lifted right off. This is so disappointing. Now that I've seen other reviews, I wish we would never have bought these.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

Complete tear off & installed O/C duration dimensional shingles. 40 square of roof that now needs to be removed, hauled to the landfill & Owens Corning will not back their product. My customer contacted O/C to see if they would help with a new roof. They are willing to give my customer enough credit to reorder 30 squares of their shingle. My customer refuses to put their product back on their house. I can't blame them but how do I keep my customer happy without me losing more than $15,000 to redo their roof? Thanks to Owens Corning Top Roofing.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

BUYER BEWARE, OC 50 year warranty is a scam. You need a lawyer to review ANYTHING from them prior to purchase to understand what you ARE NOT getting. We "thought" we had a 50yr warranty but after their product failing after 8 years our proration went down 25%. The "award" offered is ONLY on replacement with their product and is only given to the supplier NOT the homeowner.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I am a roofing contractor in the business for more than thirty five years. What had prompted me to post here is the photo shown with the headlines " common complaints with Owens Corning Shingles". My question is: Why in the world show a photo of what is obviously an original ELK' product and blame OC for its failure. I will bet money, that is an old 25 year limited warranty ELK fiberglass Shingle. I have seen a lot of shingle failures in my life and only once was it an OC product. The industry has batted around failure for years but never seems to print whom has the most failures, GAF.

Owens Corning Shingles Company Information