3.08/5
Based on 558 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

Read More Read More
Last updated: May 22, 2018

1799 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

The WORST Customer Service Ever! I have been a very local customer to HMS paying $600 per year for coverage. I have filed perhaps a total of 3 - 5 claims in a total of approximately 10 years. I am now in the midst of the most discouraging customer service experience I have ever been in. For the FIRST time this company now has to approve the replacement of a hot water heater. I have been going back and forth for three weeks now while the heater is consistently leaking and has ruined my hardwood floors which will now cost several thousand dollars to replace.

Because all their phone system is now automated it takes no less than 20 minutes to get through to a human. They give wrong information or inconsistent information every time you call. I was shocked to find out I now have to pay $765 dollars on top of what I currently pay. I am STILL waiting for parts to be ordered and to be available to my plumber. I have lost three days of work because I was falsely informed that installation had been scheduled despite the fact that the parts were never ordered.

I am at a loss for what to do. Every time I ask for a supervisor I am put on hold and then the operator changes her original story. I am left with no other option but to alert other potential customers that this is no longer the reputable company they once were. Stay away at all costs. I have never felt this level of dissatisfaction or frustration. They show absolutely no care or concern to their mistakes. Even the plumber I was assigned has been trying to resolve this issue to no avail. Save your money and look elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have had HMS for 4 years now. Everything had been great until my AC unit stopped working early last week. I called HMS, we arranged for DSE Mechanical to come on Sunday. Quite a long time to deal with the heat if you ask me, but I remained patient. Waited for my confirmation from the contractor, called their number 937-397-6035, but it leads you only to voicemail. Their voicemail specifically states ‘consider this your confirmation of service’. So I sat and waited at my house on Sunday (which is difficult as an orthopedic surgery resident, I had to have a co-worker cover my surgeries). No one arrived. I was pretty upset, called HMS, they contacted DSE, stated it was a mistake, they were sorry, they will come on Tuesday morning.

Frustrated, I said, "Ok, what else could I do?" Well, here we are on Tuesday. No one shows up at 8 as scheduled. This is now my second operative day that has been adjusted due to false promises from HMS. I just got off the phone with them. The soonest a different company can come is now Friday. Well, I’m out of town and do not have any family in Ohio. My case is now being ‘escalated’ and I may receive a call back within 24-72 hours. Unbelievable. I will likely pay myself for a local AC repairman, so thankful for this policy... you’re better off with a different company or you’ll suffer in the heat like me!

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am now on Day 51 since my initial claim to HMS. We purchased our home March 5th and the buyer purchased a Home Warranty as part of our offer. On April 1st we realized our A/C was not working properly and put a claim into HMS. It was very easy to place a claim online and they quickly contacted a company and had them out to us for service within a few days (April 5th). The company pumped something to seal any small leaks and filled with freon (which we later found out is all they are authorized by HMS to do on initial visits by the technician).

It was cool that week so it was several days before we turned our A/C back on and within 24 hours after we did noticed it was still not fixed. We placed a claim notifying that the problem was still not fixed on April 14th. Unfortunately this time around the A/C company could not come out until April 20th, however they have done everything they possibly could during this horrible process to make things right including offer a free year of preventative maintenance and keep in contact with me to update me throughout the process (even when they were just waiting on HMS). On April 20th the A/C company determined that the evaporator coil needed to be replaced and today May 21st we are STILL without A/C (yes, 51 days later).

The "research" department at HMS had this claim for almost 3 weeks and when we called (every day or two) to check the status we're told something different by each employee, one gentleman even told us that he was the only person who worked there and we couldn't not talk to anyone else. Finally we got our realtor involved who quickly escalated the incident to the regional sales rep. However, as nice and wonderful as she has been to work with there is only so much she has been able to do being in sales. Last week, the part had FINALLY been ordered and received and I was scheduled for service all to find out that the wrong part was ordered. The part was ordered for a straight cool system NOT gas pack despite HMS having to run the serial number and model of the unit prior to ordering.

Several "options" were offered to us last week because of the "unique" situation we were in the only one of which was to continue on with repairs. While offering a whole new unit was an option the $2,500 in non-covered items was still our responsibility which would be the case anytime this unit goes down and we have a warranty so NOT anything special. The entire time we have been without an A/C the upstairs of our home has been consistently between 84-88 degrees. I was authorized $100 to purchase fans that would be reimbursed to me (7-10 days later) which ended up being 2 fans at Wal-Mart and allowing us to make one room downstairs tolerable to be in.

We have animals and a 3 year old so this is more than just adults being uncomfortable. I was finally told this morning that the proper part was ordered and would take 2-3 days to be delivered and then it would be up to the A/C company to come install. Thank goodness the A/C company has been so wonderful in getting me scheduled and ensuring it will be installed the very next day upon delivery. Honestly, at this point I have 0 faith in HMS and would NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

I am usually one to post positive reviews on sites because I feel like people only ever report the negative but there is NO WAY after 51 days without AC and the lack of concern and customer service I have received that I would ever recommend anyone use this company. If so, the minute things take longer than you feel they should start escalating and calling every chance you can... get your realtor involved if you can, threaten to review any and everywhere possible it is the ONLY WAY TO GET ANYTHING DONE. We will see if this will finally be behind us as promised this week but based on past experience I am NOT counting on it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have been dealing with HMS since December 2017 and I still do not have a fixed HVAC system. I first called HMS in January after determining that our Boiler/HVAC system was not working. Their customer service department is decent (you will find out why soon enough as you will have to call them multiple times to get a service provider who knows what they are doing). I had to call them 4-5 times to find one who understood our boiler system. We have 4 vendors come out to look at our boiler system, the first three had no clue what they were looking at; we are fairly new to this house and it's 30 years old so I also wasn't entirely sure what type of heating system it was.

After the second vendor who told us it was a gas boiler system, I told HMS and it still took them two try to find someone. It was February before they found someone who could ONLY diagnose our issue. Then when they did, they said we need a plumber because some pipes had frozen; So they sent three different plumbers who didn't know what they were doing (or should I say wouldn't work on a gas boiler system). When we found someone, HMS SAID THEY DIDN'T PAY FOR FROZEN PIPES. IT'S NOW MARCH 2018!!! YOU THINK THEY COULD HAVE TOLD US THIS IN FEBRUARY.

After we fixed the pipes, we still didn't have warm or cold air in two of our rooms. So they allowed me to get a 3rd party vendor in April 2018. It's now almost June and they are reviewing the Vendors invoice!!! This is after five-six calls to HMS after our vendor has sent the invoice over. I have spent literally days (24-48 hours combined) of my life with HMS just to get my rooms heated/cooled. They don't follow up when they say they will; their contractors (85% of them are vendors you would never hire). If you do use a contractor, make you Google them to see what ratings they have privately and insist on one that has a positive Google/social media rating.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I was looking into acquiring a home warranty since my appliances were getting older and my property insurance doesn't cover the inside of the house. A family member may have referred me to HMS Home Warranty. It seemed easy submitting a claim with HMS and it has all been done online. So far, the technicians that have come to our home have been on time and polite, and the quality of the work that they've performed seemed okay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Our HMS home warranty came with the house when I bought it. On top of that one year warranty that was gifted, I bought an additional two years. The service providers that HMS has sent out have been usually pretty good, but every single time that I’ve dealt with HMS, it’s been just a complete hassle and complication after complication. Anytime that I have filed a claim, I've called their 1-800 number and it would be automated at first. Then, it usually would end with getting in contact with a customer service representative. But it’s never been I'd just call and they would send a service provider then everything would run smoothly. Usually, I would have to wait several days before HMS would get back to me and then a service provider would come out. It would also take several days before they'd make their approval once they've received the service report from whoever the service provider is.

I filed a claim in September of 2017. It still hasn’t been fixed yet and I’m currently fighting with HMS over that. I have a bathroom in my basement and it has an ejector pump which went bad. It had a failure and sewage backed up into my basement. Originally, they had told me that it wasn’t gonna be covered by my home warranty because I didn’t purchase a septic coverage. I said, “I don’t have a septic system, so why would I buy septic coverage? This is a below-grade bathroom. I need the ejector pump to get the sewage out of the basement.”

Once I said that, they got special approval and got it covered. Then, they sent a service provider out. They replaced the pump but shortly after they replaced it, it backed up again and I had another failure. I tried to resolve it with that service provider directly and I was not able to do so. I contacted HMS and they tried to contact that service provider as well. After a couple of days of not getting in touch with that service provider, HMS sent out another one in January of 2018. The service provider said what needed to be repaired and replaced, and they sent a service report to HMS. I heard no response from HMS. In the meantime, I was able to resolve the issue with the valve that was stuck and it seemed like the pump was operating fine again.

In April, the pump had a failure and my basement backed up with sewage again. I called HMS and explained the situation. They said that they would look into it and see if I could get that information from the service provider that had been out in January. When they got the information from the service provider, HMS came back to me and told me that they weren’t gonna cover the repair or replacement for the stuff that needed to be handled because, again, I didn’t have the septic coverage.

I told them that was the same problem I had before. I also said that I don’t have a septic system and it’s a below-grade bathroom. It has to have an ejector pump and it’s part of the normal plumbing. HMS argued with me about it and told me that it should’ve never been approved back in September. They said somebody mistakenly authorized it when they shouldn’t have and that I was out of luck. I told them that’s ridiculous. That would be like me taking my car in for warranty work and them doing half of the job, and then them saying, “Oh, we just found out and discovered that we’re not actually supposed to cover this under warranty, so we’re gonna stop what we’re doing and you can take your car and go on your way.”

After I argued some more with them, somebody from their case management team agreed that since they had already started the repair and never finished it, they would go ahead and authorize the completion. But after that it would no longer be covered. When I called again to find out why nobody’s been out here to repair it, I was told that they are waiting for the service provider to send them a line-by-line breakdown of what the prices are. That was also what they told me a week before. In the meantime, I still have sewage backing up out of the well where the pump is. I still can’t use the bathroom and it’s creating a health hazard in my house. Now, I’m also gonna have water damage down in that little basement area where the well is.

I have filed claims with HMS for other things as well. I had HMS come out for a boiler issue and there was problem with that claim. I also had them out for a hot water heater and then I had them out again for it. The second time they were here, the hot water heater ended up needing to be replaced. And then when they replaced it, they covered everything except for the new pipes that they needed to plumb in the new hot water heater. That didn’t make any sense to me. That was $400 I had to pay.

The company's customer service has also been terrible. It's been a 30-minute process to get through them. And every single day that I've had to call their customer service reps, I have to start completely over. They're clueless and uneducated. They seem very not knowledgeable about their job, their position or how things work too.

Then, when you ask to speak to a supervisor, they would never put you through to a supervisor. They would make you put in a request to speak to a supervisor and it would take 48 hours for a supervisor to call you back. Most of the time that I’ve put in a request, they’ve never called back within the 48 hour period and I have to call back again. This last time, I had to put in three requests and I waited two days each time. It was basically a week before I got to talk to a supervisor. Then once I got to talk to a supervisor, they've never given me a phone number where I can call them back directly. All around it’s just awful with HMS. I would never ever recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I could never get a hold of Customer Service during regular operating hours without being on hold for 30-45 minutes (there should be a call by option). When I did talk with Customer Service I had to thoroughly reexplain my issue to them each time because no notes were provided from my previous call. The Service Provider I was connected with could also never get a hold of Customer Service either, so they could not complete the work for me. The Service Provider stopped answering my phone calls and did not complete the work. I was left with a pipe leak, hole in the ceiling, and a leaking faucet that I had to fix myself.

To get a different service provider I would have been charged another $100. I logged my hours and for this service and spent 37 hours on the phone waiting to talk with Customer Service, talking to Customer Service, and getting a hold of the Service provider. For $500 to have this insurance and $100 for a service fee I expected HMS to have their act together. I now have a furnace issue and I do not want to waste my time and money dealing with HMS. This was a huge waste of money and time and I am doing my best to share this story with others so they do not make the same mistake as I did.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I don't know what is going on with HMS but I have been waiting for a week for an answer about my A.C. with them. I called in a claim last Thursday and the A.C. company sent out a crew right away. I paid my $100 deductible and they said they would put in an order with HMS asap. On Monday there was no response, Tuesday I waited for 36 minutes before I spoke to a sarcastic rep who told me they knew nothing. Called the AC company and they said they put the order in Monday. Talked to HMS again. They said they hadn't received anything.

Back to A.C. company who said they went back and called in the order. Now I am waiting, every time I call the wait times are over 20 min and I usually hang up around 32 minutes. Meanwhile we are experiencing a record heatwave and my 6 month old twins, 5 year old and I are all sick and sweltering. It is awful. I am in tears as I type this. It is almost time to renew this home warranty but I won't be subscribing to HMS and I already called my realtor and asked her to never use them again.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When I bought my house, my realtor said that HMS Home Warranty is the company that they, the Weichert Realty, use and she recommended it. I’ve had HMS Home Warranty for six years and they have provided quick service. Their customer service have gotten better over the years compared to when I first started. Now there's a website and the response time has vastly improved in the last six years, so I stuck with them. Filing a claim is very simple. I could do it online or I could do it over the phone, and the claim will be processed as soon as I call or as soon as I log in the website or put something in there. My interactions with the claims rep for the last two years have been very good, while it was lacking in the previous years.

Back then, it could have been better by annotating in their records that I have an oil furnace because that was the issue years ago. They knew I had an oil furnace because when I first bought the house, it was part of the whole process and it hasn’t changed. Plus, when I made the claim, I made it clear that I had an oil furnace. When they sent a technician out three years ago, the technician came and said that he didn’t do oil furnaces. So, they had to find another repair guy that did oil furnaces, and that was a sticky point for me. Now, I got a new oil furnace, but about three years ago, the company had bought it and replaced my furnace. Even one of the repair guys said that we needed a new one because the internal combustion chamber was cracked and that was a health violation. HMS didn’t wanna give me a new furnace even though the repair guy said it was a health violation.

But the guys that came out were perfect and spot on. They knew what they were doing and I was pleased with their work. The most recent claim was for the HVAC. They came out when they said they would and they replaced the HVAC, although it had to come out of pocket because I understand that the company just pays for the unit itself and not all the other stuff that goes with it even though we should because the unit won't work without the rest of the stuff. The people that came out were outstanding. HMS provides quality service in an expedited manner. Even though it's written in the book, sometimes people don’t read or understand what is covered and what is not covered but the repair people made that clear to me upfront so there were no surprises.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have purchased the home warranty for going on 3 years now. I recently filed my first claim regarding my A.C. unit. I had an appointment scheduled on a Tuesday for the repairman to inspect the unit. He missed the first appointment and did not call me to let me know he was going to be late. We rescheduled the appointment for Wednesday which he again did not show up. I called customer service to get matter resolved. They told me to wait for the A.C. company as they have 72 hours to respond to a claim. Now that the 72 hours is over they rescheduled an appointment on Monday, 4 days later.

When I asked them why it takes 9 days just to have a company to come out to look at the unit, they said there was nothing they can do to help expedite the process and help me. I told the customer service associate that I felt like I was being punished because not only did I miss work for 2 days to meet the A.C. company, I now have to wait another 4 days for someone to look at my unit while my house sits at 85 degrees. I feel they have failed to help me with my insured A.C. unit and they have definitely failed to make me a happy customer.

Original review: May 17, 2018

They mislead customers by letting them open service requests for uncovered parts (ice maker on a refrigerator in our case), make you spend money on the service call ($100 in our case), and deny the repair due to the part not being covered under the contract. Why were none of the people I talked with on THREE different occasions able to inform me of this? Why was I able to open the claim in the first place? We have also had customer service reps lie to us. In one instance we were told we had to wait at least 24 hours for their dispatch team to look for a service provider and there was nothing else they could do (We had been waiting for 24 hours already at this point.). Only to call back four hours later, and have another customer service rep locate one for us in 15 minutes. The first rep apparently could not be bothered to actually do their job. After all, they were not the person without A/C!

When it comes time deliver the bad news that you are being screwed, their phones always seem to have a low volume, so that you can barely hear them talk. That's if they come back from putting you on hold at all! I sat on hold one other time for over 40 minutes while a rep did "research"; which I've come to learn means "figure out how to screw you over". Read the fine print before you buy, because their marketing collateral is terribly misleading. Or better yet, buy the $100 warranty from Best Buy or Home Depot on your appliances and save yourself the heartache of dealing with this company. Needless to say, I'm going be letting my coverage lapse when the "contract" is up.

Original review: May 17, 2018

HMS Home Warranty was given by the seller when I bought the house and I’ve had it since October. I submitted two claims and I did them over the phone. The reps that I spoke with were great and I was very happy with it. The technician that came to our home was very professional and the quality of work performed was excellent.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We were out of state 900 miles away when our smart thermostat indicated a furnace issue in March. I called HMS and after giving all the information, I got cut off when put on hold. No return call, so I called again. Different person. She was not sure of status of claim so she called another company. Within 1 hour I got a call from a company, but required the $100 up front before they would even go to my house. Had to call my bank, have a money order made out and repairman stopped and got the money on way to do repair. My neighbor let him in to work. Then, I got a call from another company, who was at my house to do the repair and not asking for money up front???? Not very good customer service.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have had HMS since I bought my house. I have made a couple claims and never had issues with getting someone out to investigate... Until something needs to be replaced. My hot water heater was leaking so my husband and I instantly made a claim. HMS sent a plumber out on the day I asked and said instantly it needs to be replaced and it would be done in a week. Sounded ok since the leak was small at the time and was told HMS would be in contact. Never heard anything from them and when I called 2 days later I was told they were waiting for me to call to ok the claim. I ok'd the claim and she said they would order it and I should hear back in 3-5 days. Now my hot water is really leaking and I have drywall damage. Didn't hear back in 3-5 days and I called another week later. Was told by HMS to call the plumber because they needed to order a smaller hot water heater. Plumber told me they're waiting for HMS.

My husband called HMS today and they said the hot water heater was still in research phase but they would order it today and it would be another 3-5 days! My drywall is now falling apart and going without hot water for a month when you have children is UNACCEPTABLE! Not only do we not have hot water but we have to tear out our wall and replace drywall and baseboards. This is the most ridiculous thing! My husband is about ready to replace it himself and hope it's done right since that's the whole point of us spending $500+ a year for lousy service and to think we once were loyal to this company. They're good for small repairs but once something needs replaced watch out!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I'm a realtor in NC and HMS Home Warranty was supposed to insure a home warranty on a home I sold to my clients. They submitted a claim April 9, 2018 that their refrigerator quit working. The home warranty company sent out technicians on several occasions. HMS didn't like the price that the technicians said it would cost to fix the refrigerator so they started the process over again and again. It has now been over one month that my client has been without a refrigerator. There seems to be no end in sight and no refrigeration as to date. The last they heard a technician again was coming out last Thursday and didn't make it. They have not called or communicated with my client to let them know what they are going to do. If I could rate them No Star I would do so.

HMS Home Warranty response

Bonnie – Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations as well as the homeowners. We have located their account and are looking into alternate resolutions to their claim. We will follow up with our customer as soon as our review is completed. – Thanks Austin

Original review: May 17, 2018

When I bought my home, HMS Home Warranty was on the contract. I made about three or four claims so far and usually, they're pretty good except for one time. I called to make a claim for my washing machine and it took a couple of days for them to get back with me. Whoever answered the call and took the claim didn't submit it. I waited a couple of days and they said somebody would get back with me. Nobody did. I called back and the lady said they didn't get a request and there's nothing in the system. I started to get upset.

So then, they went on ahead and took it. They sent somebody out and fixed the problem. But I only had a problem at that time. Usually when I call, there's no problem. The reps who I spoke to have been very courteous. But I guess somebody up there wasn't doing their job that day because my information on my claim never got submitted. I even thought about going with somebody else because of that one incident. But it may be worse.

For the most part, HMS Home warranty have been good. I've had something go wrong with my sump pump one time and they came right out and fixed it. I've had something go wrong with other things in my house as well. They came out and fixed that with no problem. I would tell others that they need to have HMS Home warranty because all my problems have been fixed. Even I had an issue with the customer service reps who were taking the call, I didn't have any issue with the service. They've all been respectful and they've all done the job properly. Every time a tech has been out there, they've told me exactly what the problem was, how to save myself some money and how to go about fixing it. So I'm pleased with the service overall in general.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Glad to see that so many people have had the same terrible experience we had with HMS. We have tried to file 4 claims with them in the past 5 months, and each time they told us they would have someone to the house to fix it within 24 hours. Only to find the next morning, the company they said was coming was NOT available, because HMS had not actually checked their availability. Then when we followed up with HMS, suddenly they couldn't get someone out to fix something for 1-2 weeks, almost a MONTH for one claim when we had no running water! Then they gave us a fake email address to send our "complaints" to. We have never heard back from them. Dropping them immediately. A complete WASTE of $500. Could not warn people about them more.

HMS Home Warranty response

Nicole – We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining service. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. We regret that we lost you as a customer and apologize for the inconvenience. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 16, 2018

Without a/c 13 days - supervisor and sales rep will not call us. We have been a member for 7 years. I"m also a real estate agent that has given Ron ** and HMS $1000's of referrals in the last 8 years. I could go on for 5 pages about the problems we're currently having. Ron refuses to return our phone calls. My broker, team leader and owner of brokerage is now involved. It's been in the 90's and we don't have a/c and haven't for 13 days. We have been told along with our broker and team leader that we were approved and would get a call - nothing. We have given 2 estimates and also requested a copy of our policy - which was also denied. Please help. I'm happy to upload all my emails to Ron **. Please send his supervisor's name.

Original review: May 16, 2018

After being talked into buying the Sears Home Warranty for $839 for the year, I finally called to get a technician to help with my appliance issues. Already I'm on HOLD for OVER AN HOUR and the automated message says that they "thank me for being a valued customer and apologize for the long delay due to the large number of calls!!" It's the middle of May and can't imagine what could be going on. Finally, after talking with a representative of HMS Home Warranty (Sears Home Warranty) I was told that there are 290 million people in the USA and a lot of them have home warranties... so, I guess that I should be at the back of the 290 million! NO THANK YOU!

Original review: May 16, 2018

An HMS warranty came with our first house when we bought it and then we got it again when it also came with the second house that we bought. We got to use it a few times and it seems to come in handy. It still seems worthwhile to keep, and so we continued to renew it. Submitting a claim to them is easy. I have done it both over the phone and online but I normally do it over the phone. Everything seems to go smoothly when I talk to their claims reps. And as for their technicians, they seem professional, courteous and get the work done in a timely fashion.

HMS Home Warranty response

Robert - Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know you were pleased with the service. - Austin

Original review: May 15, 2018

If I could rate HMS Zero stars I would. My washer broke down a month ago, it is a stackable unit and the dryer and washer are attached. I informed them of this. I called and the service technician was out in a timely manner, said he recommended replacing the washer. I gave it a little while for them to get something done. Nothing. I called back a couple weeks later, the automated system told me the part I needed had been shipped, I had other questions and wanted to talk to someone, was on hold for over 20 minutes only for the call disconnected. I didn't have time to wait again so I didn't call back. A week later when I try to turn my A.C. on it doesn't work. So I call again to notify them of the issue and talk to someone about my washer as well.

I was told they ordered the wrong part and they will be replacing the washer. I made the claim for the a.c. and the tech was out the next day to diagnose the problem. I called last night (which was a Monday) was on hold for over 25 minutes to talk to someone. They said the a.c. is in review. I explain that it is hot and I have kids and pets in the house and I need it fixed right away. She makes a note. I called again today because it was over 90 degrees outside. I need my ac. Was on hold for 20 minutes only to be disconnected. Again. Called again. Was on hold for 30 minutes. Couldn't wait any longer so I hung up. Called again and was on hold for another 20 minutes to talk to someone.

At this point I am very upset and want to speak to a supervisor to see if we can make this an urgent matter. They said they can have a supervisor call me back in 24 to 48 hours. I can't wait around my phone all day for someone to call. I get the runaround again with the a.c. and the washer. I was on the phone for an hour and a half trying to get something done to no avail. I absolutely would not recommend their warranty service to anyone. They have terrible wait times. They have no real answers to any questions, except "it's in review" and "the parts are ordered". It has been over a month. Absolutely terrible. Don't waste your money or your time. Find another home warranty. Not HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lori – It is clear that your experience was less than expected, and we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and value your opinion. Upon review of your claim you have spoken with multiple members of our leadership department and accepted the claims credit for your air conditioner and accepted the replacement washer we have offered to you. We appreciate the opportunity to make these claims right for you and your family. Thanks - Austin

Original review: May 15, 2018

We inherited HMS Home Warranty when we bought our house. We've been their customer for three years now and so far, we've been happy them. Submitting our claims used to be rough, with the hold and wait times. But they had a system change when there was a problem a couple of years ago and the process got tremendously better. Now, a lot of it is automated. Dealing with their agents has been fantastic too. They were very helpful, understanding and responsive when we talked to them. Also, the technicians they sent out were good, very knowledgeable and took good care of getting things squared away when stuff is broken. Out of the three claims we've put in, we had one bad experience and two good ones. Still, I would highly recommend HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Greg - Thank you for sharing your claim experience with us! We appreciate the feedback and glad we are able to provide fast and reliable service. - Austin

Original review: May 15, 2018

My bf has been getting nothing but the runaround with this company. I'm set to move in before end of this month and this dishwasher needs to working for our family. He took off work last Friday, May 11th (he lost out on at least $200 taking a day off) and the company HMS had 'hired' Sears to come do the job. Sears has no R.O on file of this at all. And he is still waiting on a call from their so called manager. And nothing has been resolved. I will also be contacting the BBB.

Original review: May 15, 2018

DO NOT BUY THIS WARRANTY!!! We just bought our house in Jan 2018 which we had a full home inspection. I was there for the home inspection and watched as everything in the house was tested. Everything checked out a ok! When we bought the house the homeowner bought the home warranty due to the house being an older house. Fast forward to May, the temp gets to 80 degrees, I turn on the ac and it doesn't work. I called the warranty company in which they told me they were going to send out their service company. The HVAC company shows up and states he found a major condenser issue and we were low on freon. At least that's what he told my 20 year old son! (My unit doesn't even take freon. It takes r22.)

Once the report was sent to the warranty company they included a few extra pieces to the story. Long story short the HVAC company said it was unfixable it would cost more than a new unit to fix. So needless to say the warranty company declined paying for any repairs due to the fact that my home inspection didn't say the system worked... (Didn't say it didn't either!) So I decided to look at the unit myself (I am not an HVAC guy to say the least) however I did notice a few loose wires so I reran the wires and reconnected. Lo and behold the unfixable is fixed!!! This company sent their own service company out to falsify the documents so they didn't need to pay the claim (That I'm sure of!). I paid the $100 deductible for this company to lie their way out of paying the claim! Please do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this warranty! They are nothing but frauds!!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Whenever I call HMS, technicians come on time and fix things right away. Overall it’s been good since their repair. I’m very happy with HMS Home Warranty. They have good communication which I like. I wanna renew my warranty when it is ready to expire.

HMS Home Warranty response

Goma - Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Austin

Original review: May 14, 2018

I never do this but boy do they have me PISSED. If you have this company or are deciding to go with this company DON’T. They don’t care about your well being and rather save a few bucks over your life! A week and a half ago I was home and smelled gas. Fire Department came out and so did BGE. Both confirmed there was a gas leak coming from the oven. Mind you the oven was off. When the warranty company sent a tech out the tech was there no longer than five minutes, did the bubble test and found nothing. We weren’t pleased so they sent out another tech, he did the same thing!

To make matters worse once he left my boyfriend smelt gas again! I called them to make sure they will fix it and they said they will. Today they told us they are honoring the techs and nothing needs to be fixed! THIS IS NOT A DISHWASHER THIS IS EXPLOSIVE GAS! Leaks don’t fix themselves!! They are not only putting our lives in danger but our neighborhood in danger too. Please share to expose them for not caring about lives and saving a few hundred bucks. I’m in talks with a lawsuit because gas is no joke. They were paid to fix things like this and are refusing to do so.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We have had this warranty for almost 2 years, and used them in the beginning (with poor results). I called them a few weeks ago to request a repair to our AC. Because I needed multiple service, I had to do this via phone, their crappy website. So, I suffered through a lengthy set of automated prompts, which did a poor job of speech recognition. Finally, after 8 minutes, I was transferred to someone - a real, live person(!). She placed the request to repair 2 AC units and I was told to expect an email with a link to schedule a time. No such email arrived, and yes, I checked my spam folder.

So after a week I followed up to get the status. The person I spoke with said that someone would call me within 48 hours. It's now been more than 72 hours and no call has been received. So, I followed up today and found that the 2nd person I spoke with actually created another ticket instead of escalating the original request. I was given a voice prompt to be transferred to the provider for an update. Guess what, I got a recording saying that number wasn't working. So, after nearly an hour on the phone and website over 2 days, I have no progress.

I decided to cut my losses and place a simple online request for service to my bidet. I went through the website easily to submit this request and clicked "submit" and got a reply saying I had to call for this item. So, I once again slog through their automated prompts, eventually talk with a person and was told that my plumbing problem wasn't covered. What the heck?!? This warranty is completely, utterly useless. We might as well have burned the money on the front lawn instead of buying a warranty and have gotten the same results. STAY AWAY FROM THIS LOUSY COMPANY. It is a waste of money and time.

HMS Home Warranty response

Carole - I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items that may not be covered such as your bidet. I know this is not the outcome you were hoping for, however we are confident in this decision. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 14, 2018

All I want is to have full coverage of my appliances which HMS Home Warranty promises that they’d provide. They were also recommended by the real estate agent. The contractors come in to fix all of the home appliances in my home like the oven, the AC unit, and the fridge. I submitted a claim one time for my AC and I talked to a representative. But when the contractor came, they told me they could not fix it, so I was wondering why they came. The technician said that if I had not lost my part, they probably could come and fix my AC unit. Everything was in the contract which I sent them but I didn’t check. I will recommend HMS Home Warranty to any person who is in need because I had a good experience with them the first time I used them. Their process is good. The technicians are also very good and they know what they are doing. They come and do the what they promise to do, and they do it on time.

HMS Home Warranty response

Duke - We appreciate you and strive to make managing home repairs easy. We are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service as well as our service partners. Thank you for your feedback! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 13, 2018

A home warranty was offered to us so we took it and the realtor told us about HMS Home Warranty. And because the house was getting older and the appliances were getting older, we renewed after the first year. Submitting a claim has been fine so far. I call and tell them that something’s wrong and they would call a vendor and set up. Then the vendor comes as requested and the technicians have always been pleasant. Sometimes they have to do a few things to get to know what’s wrong and sometimes they just come in and fix. And overall, the quality of work that has been performed is good.

HMS Home Warranty response

Linda – We’re delighted to hear that your HMS warranty is meeting your needs. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. - Amanda

Original review: May 12, 2018

When I bought the house last September, HMS Home Warranty was included. And my experience submitting a claim was awesome. I did everything online and the guys showed up the day after within two days. With the microwave, they were able to fix it that day. And with the refrigerator though, they had to order a new panel but it was done and installed within a few days. The technicians they sent out were very professional and the quality of their work was excellent. I have recommended HMS because I’ve had two good experiences with them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Everett - We appreciate you and strive to make managing home repairs easy. We are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. Thanks! - Austin

HMS Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

HMS Home Warranty, a member of Cross Country Home Services, has been providing home warranties for more than 30 years in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. The company has special tools to help real estate agents who must manage multiple home warranties.

• Service providers: HMS has a network of more than 40,000 service professionals throughout its coverage area. The company screens providers to make sure they have the appropriate licenses and insurance for their state.

• Claims hours: Home warranty customers can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even on holidays, by calling the company or logging on to their online account.

• Instant coverage for sellers: Home sellers who sign up for the warranty receive immediate coverage, pay at closing in most states and have 180 days of coverage with an optional extension if the home is still listed with a real estate agent.

• Emergency lodging reimbursement: Homeowners whose HVAC system is non-operational for more the 24 hours after they make a service call and those who experience a waterline break that isn’t fixed within 24 hours can receive reimbursement for hotel lodging for the days they must be out of their home.

• Marketopedia: Real estate professionals will appreciate HMS’s Marketopedia tool. The cloud-based service allows real estate agents to manage all aspects of the HMS warranties for homes they’re selling. It also features marketing tools to help them grow their businesses.

• Best for: real estate agents, first-time homebuyers, home sellers and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information