3.31/5
Based on 1,068 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years Cinch Home Services (formerly HMS Home Warranty) has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

Cinch is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

HMS offers plans for all stages of home ownership. While there are some limitations in standard coverage, all essential items are covered, and a variety of add-on options are available to customize your plan.

PROS

• Customizable coverage for buyers
  • Emergency lodging reimbursement
  • No waiting period for sellers
  • Plans for all real estate stages

CONS

• High deductible
  • Full coverage subject to add-on fees

Top HMS Home Warranty Reviews

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. [The plumber] assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them...

I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked.

HMS Home Warranty plans

Buying a home can be intimidating, but a home warranty can give you peace of mind and reduce the cost of expensive repairs or replacements. HMS Home Warranty offers plans that cover all of the major systems in your home, from plumbing and electrical to the HVAC system.

HMS offers plans to customers nationwide through more than 40,000 local service representatives and offers 24/7 customer service. HMS offers the following types of warranty plans:

• Seller: Designed for someone selling a home that wants coverage while the home is on the market. Covers major appliances and systems.
  • Buyer Conversion: Begins with the seller while the home is on the market, then is transferred to the buyer once the home is purchased.
  • Buyer Direct: Can be purchased by a home buyer at the time of closing. HMS offers advanced coverage only available for buyer plans.
  • New Home: Coverage begins one year after the sale closes, which is typically when a builder’s warranty would expire.
  • Open Direct: This plan is for existing homeowners. Anyone can purchase this type of plan at any time. Becomes effective 30 days after the plan is purchased.

HMS Home Warranty cost

The average cost for an HMS Home Warranty is around $40–$50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. Their service call fee, the amount you’ll pay for a technician to come to your home (also known as a deductible) varies by region.. The Premier Upgrade Plan is available for an additional $89 of $99 each year, depending on where you live.

Because prices vary by location and plan selected, to get an accurate quote for your home, you’ll need to request a quote directly from HMS.

PlanStarting Monthly Cost
Buyer$37 ($449/year)
Seller$32 ($449/year)
New Home$46 ($549/year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

HMS Home Warranty coverage

HMS covers a good selection of home systems and appliances. Coverage availability may differ slightly between warranty plans, with homebuyers having the widest selection of coverage options.

All HMS Warranty plans cover:

• Kitchen appliances
  • Jetted tub
  • Sump pump
  • Water heater

Air conditioning, washer and dryer may also be covered depending on your location.

*Additional fee applies on seller plans

Optional coverage for home buyers:

• Outside gas lines
  • Outside sewer and water lines
  • Pools/spas
  • Septic tanks
  • Water softeners
  • Well pump systems

*Add-on prices range from $40-205 per item.

Premier Upgrade Package:
When purchased, the Premier Upgrade Package (PUP) will provide buyers with up to $1,000 of coverage for non-covered charges associated with a covered repair or replacement. It provides coverage for items not typically included in home warranty contracts like duct, electrical and plumbing modifications, code upgrades and permits.

HMS Home Warranty Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 15, 2019

When our furnace was broken, HMS Home Warranty sent someone out and it was a really positive experience. The guys were on time and they diagnosed the problem really quickly, got the parts, and they were fantastic. We also had some plumbing issues and the plumber they originally sent out was terrible. First of all, he never showed up at the first appointment and wasn’t answering his phone. And then the following day, I called first thing in the morning and he said, “I called you four times yesterday to try to come over,” which was not true. I told him I never received any phone call and he then said he'd be there that day at noon. Noon came and went, I waited for him, cancelled appointments, called repeatedly, and then finally got in touch with him again at around 4:30 PM, and he told me he couldn’t make it that day, and he’d be here the next morning.

So, at that point I told him it was fine if that was what he could do. He then showed up and said, “I need to cut a hole in the wall to figure out where the leak is. It’s gonna cost you $495 if I cut the hole in the wall, and I’m not gonna be able to fix it. If you have a handyman, you might wanna use them to cut the hole.” I told him that I do have a handyman, and we’d have it cut in two days. He then came back two days later and he said we cut the hole on the wrong spot, which was not true again. It was exactly where he told me to cut it. So, I had to cut another giant hole in the dry wall on a different part of the room. And then we found the leak. It was a Saturday at that point and he said he’d be back on Monday to fix it. And then he never showed up again.

I eventually called HMS and told them the guy disappeared. And they told me that the claim had been closed and that the diagnosis that he had submitted stated that the damage was done through a recent construction work and they put in faulty piping, which was also not true. So, it was a lie after lie with that guy. I told HMS about that and they said his claims had already been submitted and my claim was closed because the technician has already submitted the report.

At that point, if he submitted the report in error, I asked them if I could get a second claim or get another person to come out. And the first person I spoke with said, “No,” because the person they sent had already submitted their report. That was what HMS is gonna go with. So I told the person, “I have zero recourse now? I just have to go, figure this out on my own?” She said I was welcome to file a complaint, and she gave me an email address. I told her I was just looking to fix the issue. We couldn’t use our showers and we had guests in town. So, at that point, I told her I had to go. When I called back later, I talked to somebody else who said, “No. We have your report, it’s been closed. I think you can get a second opinion, but if you do, that’s on your own dime.” And then I had to go again for work.

I called the third time that day, and the third person I spoke to said, “Well, absolutely you can get a second opinion,” and it was fantastic. The third person was very helpful and I was able to get the ball rolling again and they recommended a plumber who came out. And he was great and he fixed it. He noticed the problem immediately. It took him 10 minutes to come in here and sneak in there. He said nothing was new construction which was completely accurate. And so, the claim was ultimately accepted. So, that was a bit of a trial, but otherwise it’s been good. HMS did fix the problem and they’ve been great. It was more on the technician they sent that was the problem. I told HMS that I hope that the individual is taken off of their preferred service technicians list.

HMS Home Warranty response

Greg, This definitely does not sound right. Our service providers are a representation of our company, and we are disappointed to hear this was your experience. We are glad to have gotten you a second opinion to properly diagnose the failure. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure its provided to the appropriate parties within the organization for handling. - Christine

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased HMS Home Warranty the first time in 1995 and I have had them ever since in different areas of the United States. Our recent claim to them was for the stove and the heater which were at the same time. HMS sent out Sears to repair our stove. The oven wasn’t working and the part that went out was no longer available so it took almost a month to get my stove fixed. What was really sad was that the stove is not that old, but the part wasn’t available. So, they had to come back, take the part off and then ship it out and have it repaired. It worked fine though. The repairman was Jo-jo and he was absolutely wonderful and the greatest person that Sears’s could have sent out. He was caring about the wooden floors and about making sure he didn’t make a mess anywhere. It was a 5-star experience all the way through.

On the other hand, the repair person that they sent out for the heater was absolutely a nightmare. We had problems from the beginning with him just not following up and not saying what he was gonna do. He came out, looked at the heater and said it needed three parts. He got the okay from HMS to get the parts and put them on but it was almost impossible to get him to come back and to answer his phone or give us a straight answer. When he finally came back out, the most he brought in was one screwdriver to work on the unit and there were no parts. He came in, went downstairs, started looking at the unit again and said the unit was really rusty and bad. He also said that the whole unit was shot and that we were lucky we were not getting carbon monoxide poisoning because the unit was in such bad shape. So, he said he would have to turn off the gas to the unit.

I asked him to show me where the rust that he was talking about was. From what he showed me, the rust in the unit was like a penny size and I could have taken a Brillo pad and lightly remove the rust. He then turned everything off and asked us if we had a Shark vac and we said no. He went to his truck and got a Shark vac and vacuumed up the little water that they had that took between 20 and 30 minutes. Then, he left and sent HMS a report saying that we needed a whole new unit. I kept on texting him back the next day to see if he got an answer and when he was coming back. Before he left my house on a Thursday, he would have the unit for Saturday and he would come around Saturday noon to replace it.

Once he did that, I started texting him on Friday to see if he got the okay and he told me that he’d call me back as he was online with the company. Four hours later, I never got a return call. I texted him back and called him many times but I never got an answer. So, I called the warranty company on Saturday at around 4 o’clock in the morning. I didn’t feel comfortable with him because I felt like he was ripping us and HMS off. At the same time that I’m calling HMS, my husband decided to do research on the guy and he found out that there were people that were trying to get his physical address so they can send out warrants for his arrest because he defrauded them out of so much money.

Apparently, the repair guy had another company named a different name. There were really bad reviews and even one of the reviews was someone that had the same warranty company as HMS. At first, when we told the rep that we found the guy within seconds on the internet with so many bad reviews, we were told that they didn’t go by what was reviewed on there until I told them that HMS was coming up and the kind of experience this person had. The review was a very ugly one and how the person would never use them again.

The girl that I talked to at 4:00 in the morning said that nobody was available and that she'd have someone call me back after 8:00. Then, someone called me back after 8:00 and I told her that I really wasn’t comfortable with the repair person coming back into my house and we would prefer somebody else. I was told that I couldn't just stop in the middle of everything. I asked her who will be responsible if the repair person comes back and changes the unit and screws up and the rep told me that it would be me who has to go back and get recourse to get it straightened out. I told her that I don’t want the person in my house. I then started telling her furthermore that the guy said a new unit is needed and he did not even try to put one of the three parts he ordered so how could he know if he even fixed the heating system. The rep said that the guy was charging them for the parts and for the repair.

Since I know a bit about mechanical things, I said that there was nothing seriously wrong with our unit. After the guy left, we saw a bug that died in one of the lines and it was the reason why the water was sitting there as the heating system got clogged. We pulled the bug out with a tweezer. The rep checked and we wound up with a really nice guy named Calvin. Then, we had another company come out and when the guy came out, he said that he had to pull all the parts back on that he took off. We told him about the problem with the line so he blew all the lines out. He explained to us that if one of the lines were clogged and with the way the system works, it would click off. It would not also come on if a line is clogged. So, he hooked everything back up and the unit worked fine.

The guy sent Calvin a report saying that everything was fine and that he didn’t see it needing a new unit. He didn’t see the rust that the guy was saying. He also said the only thing that he thought was that in the near future, probably the igniter might go out. So, Calvin asked us if it was okay that they change the igniter since it looked like it was getting ready to go out. He changed the igniter and it had been a couple of months and we have had no problem.

The unit was gonna cost HMS over $3,000 by the time the first guy would install it and we were told that he could change it within two hours. The other guy said there was no way, not with all the work that would have been done. We got the problem resolved and it ended very well. I would still recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend but I would explain to them that if they feel like something is wrong, they should explain it to the person. I wouldn’t want anybody to have the experience that I had.

HMS Home Warranty response

Terrin, We’re glad to hear that your claim got resolved, but sorry to hear about all the confusion with the provider. We appreciate your recommendation. Have a great day! - Amanda

Original review: March 1, 2019

The seller of the house purchased HMS Home Warranty and had the coverage for the water heater and stuff during the sale of the home. Filing a claim hasn't been too bad. The contacting of the warranty company is a bit different. It's kinda between two companies. But for the most part, it has been fine. The house that we purchased wasn't being used regularly prior to being put on the market. So, there were some things that might have gotten worse throughout. So then when I started using everything regularly, they started backing up. And I've been a bit unlucky with the techs they've sent out, so far.

I had a plumber service that came and I wasn't overly impressed with them. The plumbing company that HMS uses in this area have reviews online that are really, really bad. It's all for warranty works. I don't know if there are also warranty for other companies other than HMS. But all the Yelp reviews and online reviews are pretty bad. I tried to cancel my appointment and see if it would reassign me to another company, but it just reassigned me a second time to the same one.

The people that came didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. They left a mess in the house after they cut the hole in my kitchen and then they disappeared for two hours without telling me where they were going or when they would be back. They got lost trying to find the place. So, I had to contact the warranty company to say that they were beyond the window I was given and that they said that they were on their way and nobody was there. Only then did they reach out to the company and found out that the driver was sitting in a parking lot in my neighborhood but not in the right area. Fortunately, the problem was something very small, so they were able to handle it. It would be nice if there was another option for that sort of service. Hopefully, I will never need it again for any plumbing related issues.

One of the issues they deemed is some sort of negligence that must have been done by the previous owner. The technician that came for the dryer said that it appeared that there were some dents and things inside that appeared that the previous owner was probably doing too large a load. And that probably is what eventually caused its crack. I sort of understand where the company is coming from. That there was probably heavy abuse prior to us taking ownership of it. I bought the house and did the inspection. So, anything that wasn't found during the inspection, I expected to work 100% properly. But the dryer works fine. It's just a little louder than normal.

The washing machine was a bit of a surprise. It's kinda frustrating at this point. I hardly had any problems with it for the first two months. And then now, it keeps trying to recycle it to like rinse again, so it won't ever spin it. If I wanna switch it to the dryer, I have to dry it like three times because it's soaking wet. The claim was supposed to be set up but I never received a notification of a change. When I got on the application for Sears that says, "Your appointment is today, track your driver," it stated that my appointment was now for a different day, even though the email reads, "Your appointment is for today." I called them and they said they didn't know why it happened, but the only thing they could assume is that the driver fell behind and was gonna be unable to make the appointment. Hopefully, it's something minor that they can fix on the spot.

Another problem I had is I tried to do more than one claim on the same day and they weren't able to tell me if I would be able to get the same technician that could handle multiple repairs. They gave me three separate delivery windows when I called the day of and then they combined two repairs to one mechanic without telling me. So, it deleted one of my time zones. I was waiting on somebody to show up and obviously not at work because I was waiting on three technicians.

Then, the same person had to get parts ordered for my microwave and my stove. But then they didn't allow him to do both repairs on the same day. So, he only had a certain amount of time allotted to fix my stove. He was unable to fix my microwave. He had to come back a week later to fix my microwave which was another week of not being able to use my appliance. And another day I have to not be at work or been on-call to make sure I'm home for it. If they could just be a little bit more in line on stuff like that, that would be obviously beneficial. But I was just happy that I knew the process was in motion.

Every other experience thus far has been good. The technicians at Sears really know what they're doing. They send me an automated text message to let me know they're on their way. They've also called me when they were on their way to make sure that in case I didn't get the message right away because sometimes they said that the text messages could come 10 or 15 minutes behind when they're actually coming. So, I've been very impressed with all the Sears technicians that I've had to deal with. Also, for the most part, I've been happy with the results. The automated system is really easy to use.

HMS Home Warranty response

Charles, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with the service we provided. - Amanda

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I’ve had three claims with HMS. One was for my refrigerator. When we first moved in, it was leaking. And that was a fine experience with HMS. We had a technician come out and he fixed it right away. The second experience was my washing machine. I had someone come out, look at it and order a part. We had to wait a month for them to fix it. It was inconvenient, but they fixed it. The technicians were great. The first technician was wrong and his first diagnosis was wrong. The guy who came out to fix it with the part said, “The first one was wrong. He didn’t even need to wait for the part.” So, that ended up having a whole month wasted. But it was fine. It was fixed, which is what counts.

And so, the third experience was just last week with the heating system. That was an awful experience with the technician that came out. I called HMS on Saturday. The technician came out on Thursday and he was so rude. Once I told him I didn’t wanna buy a new system, he told me that HMS wouldn’t cover any of my claims if I didn’t right then buy a new system through him and that once he left my house, I would lose all my benefits from HMS. And so, he was pressuring me. He said it would be $1,000 they would pay towards my new system. They wouldn’t buy me a new system, but they would pay towards it. So, I was like, “I don’t wanna lose $1,000.” He was pressuring and then he said, “You can set this all up, and then when your husband comes home from work, you can talk about it. If you change your mind, you can just still call and cancel.” So, I said okay.

He ran my credit, and I talked to a lady on the phone. She said, “Okay, you’re approved.” I asked, “There are no repercussions that I change my mind, correct?” She said there was a restocking fee for all this equipment that I was ordering. I said he didn’t tell me any of this. I said I was told I could just change my mind. I said, “Forget this. I don’t want this line of credit. I don’t want anything to do with this. I don’t want a new system. I’ll call somebody else.” ‘Cause I wanted to be able to shop around for the best deal and research what system I wanted to get if I’m gonna purchase this new one.

He was saying I would lose everything no matter what if he left my house. He said, “Are you gonna believe the 16-year old secretary on the phone are you gonna believe me sitting here right in front of you?” I said, “I don’t know. I’m just telling you what she said. I want nothing to do with this. I’m gonna find my own way of doing this.” So, then he said, “She’s gonna be fired before I leave your driveway.” Then I said, “Just go ahead and go. Forget all this.” He left and marched out of my house. He never filed a report with HMS. I called HMS and they have no record he even was here. They never received a report from him. And then I thought I'd better call my bank.

I bank with Wells Fargo, and it was a no interest five-year loan for this thing. I said I was gonna call my bank back and maybe they could reverse the credit check that they did. So, I called and she said they definitely opened a $9,000 line of retail credit on my account. I called HMS and they wanted me to do all this stuff like take a picture of his report. They had no record he was here. And then, I talked to my bank, and they had escalated it to a fraud claim for A-Advantage.

The tech also lied to me about the age of my unit. He told me my unit was from 2007 and it’s from 2012. He tried to tell me my unit was too old to replace, that it would be too much repair, that’s why I needed to get a new one. But when the second technician came out that I called, he said, “He lied. It’s a 2012.” Then I called A-Advantage today ‘cause they were closed over the weekend and they said, “He didn’t know. He just misread the label.” I’m like, “Oh, you can read a label. I don’t know how old the system is, but how are you diagnosing what’s wrong with my system?” And I had it fixed within 20 minutes. The technician came out from the other company and fixed it in 15 minutes. It was a faulty wire.

HMS themselves has been very courteous. They have been great to deal with and it's not their fault at all. It’s this other company that they sent out. So, I would highly recommend that HMS screen their companies better and have a higher standard to what they do. Other than that, they’ve been fine. They also give really great texts that follow up with us and ask if I need any help. I get good email communication as well.

HMS Home Warranty response

Debbie, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. If you need further assistance with any claim, please respond with your full property address. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Our realtor recommended that we get HMS Home Warranty when we bought the home, so we did. We've had to use it a number of times and it has benefited us tremendously. It has definitely been worth our money. We've had a claim at least once every year and overall, it has always been outstanding. However, this year has been the worst. We never have any issues except we have a dishwasher claim that we can't seem to get settled, and that has been our only complaint. I filed the claim in August and the first thing they tried to do was order the part. The maintenance guy that came out ordered the parts, but a different guy came out when the part came in, and that guy said, "That's not even the right part."

He said that he didn't know if they can get the part that we really need. He tried to order the part, but after a long while, I had to call a couple of times to see what was going on, and they that they couldn't get the part. They said they would just replace the dishwasher. They sent me an email saying, "This is what you'll get. You just need to verify the size, make sure it'll fit," so we did that. They showed up with a new dishwasher and the guy delivering the dishwasher came in. The first thing he did was measure and he said that the new dishwasher wouldn't fit. I said, "How can it not fit. It's exactly the same size of the dishwasher that we have now." But he refused to get it off the truck saying it would not fit.

I called my husband, who wasn't home at the time, and he said, "That's crap! It'll fit. It's the same size dishwasher we have.” He was on his way home, but the guy literally refused to get the dishwasher off the truck saying it wouldn't fit and that we'd have to reorder the correct size. He made me sign a piece of paper and a woman called me immediately just to make sure that I was returning it. I flat out told her that my husband said that it would fit, but the guy wouldn't get it off the truck and he said it was not the right size. My husband was around the corner as they were pulling out and he stopped them. Once again, he told them it would fit, but the guys refused and said it wouldn't.

A lady just called me on Saturday, but I was at work so I didn't catch the call. She left me a message saying that they couldn't get a replacement dishwasher for some reason and that they would have to send me a check, but they were gonna charge me the restocking fee. I tried to call back immediately and I got a hold of somebody else. She said that the supervisor wasn't available and I told her that I wasn't paying the re-stocking fee. I also said that the dishwasher would fit.

The supervisor that called and left a message was speaking very fast. I called back immediately and spoke with the representative, and she was super sweet. She said she was gonna note it all, but she said that the supervisor was supposed to call me to make a second attempt to get in touch with me, although I haven't heard from her yet. We are still in the midst of trying to figure out the dishwasher. It was such a simple claim. It has been back and forth and my husband was really irritated with the guys who delivered the dishwasher.

We are still fighting with the whole dishwasher situation. Still, other than that, we had to have our AC replaced and we had problems with our heater a month ago. Everything else has been fast and no problems and we've been very happy with the services. Whenever I call HMS and speak with somebody, it generally goes very smoothly and they are very friendly. I was generally been very happy with the service and I'm very grateful that I've had HMS. I definitely would recommend having HMS because people never know what's gonna go wrong.

HMS Home Warranty response

Karen, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of the installation companies was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I bought a house back in 2004 and got HMS warranty as well. I do my claims over the phone and it has been easy. The reps appear to be knowledgeable. But they just let any contractor into the program. Some of them good and some not so good. One bad experience was when the vendor came in to look at the washing machine and he asked if I had a cup of cooking oil to put in there, to make the washing machine work better. And of course, that wasn't the case. And the other good part is the guy that HMS sent back to complete the work, they found out the washing machine was just gone.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

They gave me a number to call, I called, and the service was set up immediately. My girlfriend was at the house when the guy came. He looked at stuff, ordered parts, and then a different guy came to put the stuff in. My girlfriend said that he threw out parts in the garbage that he never even opened. He fixed some stuff up on the refrigerator, and he used a kitchen rag rather than his own stuff to wipe off things. So it kinda irritated my girlfriend a little bit, but it is what it is. A week later, my sump pump went out. So I had the contractor come out and they did a great job.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

HMS was offered when we bought the home, and we continued with it ‘cause we were happy with it. We make claims over the phone, and sometimes they're very good and sometimes not so good. They don’t understand what we’re talking about sometimes, and it’s usually on the weekend when the regular staff isn’t there. But everybody’s been prompt and worked real hard to figure things out. In fact, we’ve had some of the same-day service.

HMS Home Warranty response

Edith, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you’ve been pleased with our service. - Amanda

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

We’ve been satisfied with every claim. We've had HMS for more than 10 years. At first, we had problems with them getting things processed. But it’s been much better now. Usually, within a day or two, things are taken care of. And I've been pretty pleased with their contractors, except for one way, way back, but they were never assigned to us again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I have been trying to place a claim for the last 3 days for my leaking hot water tank (electric). On Thursday, 11/14/2019, I called to place a claim as my hot water tank was leaking from the bottom of the tank with a slow drip. When I called in to place the claim, I was told the account had never been transferred over to my name and it was still in the seller's name that I bought the house from in July 2019. I was told to contact the seller to have them transfer the name. Problem with that is I don’t have the seller's contact information. After a few hours of me contacting my realtor and the seller's realtor, the account was updated.

I then called back in the file the claim. This was my second attempt. I was told that the account takes 24 hours to update in their system and I couldn’t file a claim until the account was updated to my name in their system. Please note that I moved into this house July 18, 2019. So the home warranty was never transferred over and sat in the seller's name for 4 months. Not sure if that is the realtor's fault or home warranty’s fault, either way I was never made aware that this was something I needed to follow up on.

Friday, 11/15/2019, I made my 3rd attempt. I contacted the claims department again to file a claim. At this point my hot water tank is now leaking to the point that there is a steady stream coming from the tank and it is now running all over the basement floor, not just to the drain, but under shelves and my washer and dryer. I was able to successfully file a claim, but the claims rep was not able to get a service appointment scheduled as she called all the providers she had and no provider would commit to come to our residence. The rep told me that the claim had been transferred to dispatch and I would hear from them within 24 hrs with an appointment for service. That never happened.

That bring us to today, Saturday, 11/16/2019. I called to check on the claim to see if there has been any luck finding a provider. The first rep I talked to, Cristal, was very unpleasant and disrespectful. She told me that my service order could take up to 72 BUSINESS hours and that my claim is not an emergency. I explained that the leak is now worse and could potentially ruin items in my basement if/when the tank ends up totally blowing out. I requested that the service order be upgraded to an emergency and she told me “don’t tell me how to do my job” and then laughed. I requested to speak to a manager when she told me they would tell me the same thing. She ended the call by telling me that her manager would be in at 9am and would call me as soon as he gets in. It is now 12:28pm and we still haven’t received a call back from a manager.

I called back after talking to Cristal, and this time spoke with Angel. He was amazing. We were in the phone for over an hour. Angel upgraded my claim to an emergency. He also spend 20 +minutes trying to contact local providers but had no luck. He told me that he transferred my account over to dispatch and they would be in contact with me soon. I asked if I could have a plumber come out and be reimbursed, as my residence is in a rural area so I assume this is the reason they can’t find a provider to service my area. Angel told me that I would have to wait for dispatch to approve a reimbursement. Having a 19 day old newborn and the possibility of not having hot water is a big stress. The fact that it is a weekend now doesn’t help our chances. Not to mention the stress it’s putting on my relationship with my husband, as this situation has everyone in a bad mood.

Needless to say, we decided to contact our own plumber and take care of the issue. This way, we don’t have to continue to stress about the fact that the tank could blow out while we weren’t home or overnight without us knowing. Also, we have well water so if the tank were to blow our water would continue to run, probably burning up the well pump and wasting well water, not to mention our electric bill for the constant running of the well pump. This entire experience has been very unpleasant and a waste of time and unneeded stress on a new mother. If I were to buy another Home or know someone who is I would NOT recommend HMS or Cinch for a home warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jamie – I’m sorry to hear that this has been your experience, and sincerely apologize that you did not receive the service you expected. We value your feedback and would like to review your claim for further understanding. We located your account and will review your claim and follow up with you personally.– Dena

HMS Home Warranty coverage exclusions

HMS Home Warranty covers failure of select systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. The policy does not cover deliberate or accidental damage due to abuse or misuse of covered items. HMS warranties do not cover the handling of hazardous materials or the fees associated with hauling away replaced systems or appliances.

In some cases, parts deemed nonessential to the core function of a system or appliance may not be covered. For example, while your kitchen appliances may be covered under your contract, components like doors, glass, seals, drawers, lightbulbs and fixtures may not be covered. You can find a full list of exclusions via HMS's sample agreement.

HMS Home Warranty coverage limits

HMS does have coverage limits, but they vary depending on which covered item is in question. They generally range from $1,000 to $3,000. If an item has a coverage limit or cap, you will be responsible for covering any cost beyond that dollar amount. Overall, we found HMS’s limits generous and on the higher side of average compared to the industry.

ItemHMS’s coverage limit
Septic tank pumping$500
Septic tank replacement$1,000
Swimming pool heater$1,000

HMS Home Warranty claims

Claims can be filed 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. The process is straightforward and easy to do. To request service from HMS Home Warranty:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone to speak directly to an HMS customer care representative.
  2. HMS will assign a service partner to your claim within two hours during normal business hours and 24 hours during weekends and holidays
  3. The service provider will schedule a convenient time for the repair.
  4. During the visit, the service provider will diagnose and suggest repair or replacement.
  5. You will pay your service call fee and the work will be completed.

HMS Home Warranty FAQ

When will coverage begin on an HMS Home Warranty?

For existing homeowners, there is a standard 30-day waiting period after a warranty is purchased. This is true of most home warranty providers in the industry. If you purchase a warranty for a home you’re selling, coverage begins immediately upon enrollment. For home buyers, coverage will begin on your closing date.

Is there a cancellation fee for HMS Home Warranty?

Yes, a $25 processing fee will apply. Homeowners and buyers can cancel their home warranty with a 10-day written notice. Seller Home Warranties are non-cancelable.

Will HMS Home Warranty cover my older systems and appliances?

Yes. There is no age restriction placed on covered items. HMS only requires that they be in working condition at the time of enrollment.

What is a homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement?

You can qualify for up to $500 per year when you pay a deductible on a homeowners insurance claim while an active HMS customer. The reimbursement opportunity is available on the Home Buyers plan, and claims must be reported to HMS within 45 days.

What is HMS’s lodging reimbursement?

HMS will reimburse you for lodging fees up to $1,200 should you have to stay in a hotel/motel in the event your heating or cooling system is non-operational for more than 24 hours from the time of the first service visit, or due to flooding in your home because of a water pipe break.

Is HMS Home Warranty worth it?

HMS Home Warranty offers good coverage for buyers, sellers and existing homeowners alike, with the most available coverage available to homebuyers. While coverage isn’t as comprehensive as others we’ve seen, it covers all essential systems and includes several benefits we haven’t seen anywhere else, like homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement and lodging reimbursement. With these added benefits plus the premier upgrade package, we think HMS has more than enough to offer any homeowner.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information