Call toll free
(888) 490-2015
2.71/5
Based on 609 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

1932 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

The A/C in my home went out June 27, 2018. Called the same day & had a emergency request submitted because we had a newborn, 3 & 5 year old children & appointment for 3 July, 2018 because of the 4th of July holiday. The provider cancelled, the next provider came out on 5 July and submitted the work order to replace both our up & downstair units and request for authorization to HMS. The provider told us to follow up because HMS had a history of delaying authorization with them. The provider obviously knew HMS well because here we are on July 16th, 20 days later (we’ve called every day since the authorization was request was submitted) and HMS keeps telling us that they haven’t received anything.

We have a copy of the authorization from the provider & asked for the fax number or email to submit it ourselves. The service provider would not give it to us, but stated that it needed to come from the contractor. I can’t think of a reason why the contractor would lie about submitting the authorization request, I do know that we paid a hundred dollar deductible & got a sky high electric bill. Customer service was hit or miss depending on what operator we spoke to. We’ve probably spent well on 14 hours on the phone, mostly on hold. I’m completely disappointed with this warranty & I plan to tell everyone I know in the Navy about my experience. It seems like a scam where they’re just waiting for us to give up. After reading many reviews with similar stories, I’m convinced my instincts are dead on.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 16, 2018

Horrible communication between the warranty company and us, as well as the warranty company and service provider. Slow delivery of service as we are now going on 5 weeks without AC, with the majority of the weeks being over 90 degrees and heat index over 100. Even though we are in "emergency status" due to the warm weather, it took over a week to get an appointment and a couple of weeks now for their research center to approve the parts we needed, which we are still waiting on. They have refused to reimburse for any mobile AC unit or window unit so that we may be less miserable in this heat. We have continued to buy the warranty for 3 years now and it is safe to say we will not be purchasing this again, as we feel we are paying for a service they aren't providing. We also have many friends who are going to be new home owners and will certainly be steering them away from this HMS warranty.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We have had HMS for about 2 years - the first year we had no claims so there were no problems. Our air conditioning was not working correctly and eventually broke completely. From the first service call, it has been a headache. They kept sending our claim to a provider that did not show up multiple times. Once the AC went completely it has been a complete nightmare. We are going on 3.5 weeks of back and forth with this company. The customer service is terrible. No one ever has an answer, it takes forever to get to someone who does and even then the problem is not resolved. Our claim has supposedly been escalated to the highest level (emergency medical status) which is supposed to be resolved within three days - we are two weeks out from that escalated state and nothing.

We have a three month old baby who can’t be in 90+ degrees and HMS keeps giving us the runaround. We have spent countless hours on the phone with them. We have had to do legwork on their behalf to get information they needed but never communicated they needed it to the provider. It was finally approved and supposed to be installed today but now no one knows where the parts are. The provider was supposed to receive them yesterday. I’m currently on hold again with HMS. I’ve been on the phone w this company for 2 hours so far today and there is still no answer. I’ve never been so unsatisfied with a company in my entire life.

Updated on 07/16/2018: I have already left one negative review regarding my experiences with this company, and now I am leaving another one as my claim is still not resolved. We have been waiting over a month for our air conditioning to be replaced despite having emergency medical status, as a I have a newborn. The unit was supposed to be delivered to the service provider (at long last) on July 12. It was not. We were never able to get a straight answer as to what happened. Between July 13 and July 16 (today) I was assured by FIVE different people at this company that the parts would be delivered by 8PM tonight to the service provider so the A/C could be installed tomorrow. Well, the parts were not delivered. The service provider informed us that Carrier (A/C company) did not have authorization to deliver the parts and might be able to deliver them tomorrow.

When I called this company for the second time today, they denied this, blaming it on both the service provider and Carrier. The supervisor I waited over an hour to speak to gave me an extension that does not work and claimed she had no way to contact Carrier, despite the fact that this company contacted Carrier on July 13 while I was on the phone. Today I spent a total of 2.5 hours on the phone and my husband spent an additional hour on the phone with them. We have had to stay with other people on the extremely hot days, which is difficult with a brand new baby.

My husband has taken multiple days off from work in anticipation of the A/C being replaced, only for it not too. This company has TERRIBLE customer service, poor communication, and a poor operating system. I would not bother working with them. I am going to call the realty company we bought this from and make them aware of our experience. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kathryn - I can assure you this is not the type of service we intend to provide our customers. I would like to ensure your claim is being expedited for you and your family. I have located your account and see that the parts are to be delivered today, July 16th, and once the equipment has been accounted for, the install can begin. I appreciate your patience, and if you have any other questions or concerns, please respond back to this message. - Austin

Original review: July 13, 2018

The worst experience ever. It has been two months since I have been trying to get my HVAC unit issue resolved. They keep giving me the runaround, when I get an actual representative on the phone they disconnect the call. It's unbelievable that a company can operate like this. When you find someone who can assist you they all have different answers and put you on hold forever while they look into the matter.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lourdes - This is certainly not the level of service that we aim to provide our customers with. I have located your account and see you have already spoken with our Customer Service department and have provided you your options. Please respond to this message if you have any other questions or concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 13, 2018

We purchased a condo and were offered a home warranty by the seller in consideration of the unit having some older appliances. In retrospect we should have just asked the seller to give us the value of the premium as cash instead. On Monday of this week we had water in the garage floor from a leak in the water heater. Luckily there is a slight step down from the unit so there is no risk of damage. We called HMS to request a claim. We were given a provider to call who rejected the assignment because they were already booked. This took several hours to discover. We then called back and were given a second "provider" but they did not answer the phone. Now late in the afternoon, we called back to see what to do next.

The customer service person asked if we had called the provider and we told them that they were not answering their phone. He put me on hold and tried himself. He did get an answer but was told that the plumber had his truck and tools stolen and would not be in business until he was able to replace them. (This gave me an idea of the quality of their providers.) So, we again asked what to do next... HMS said they did not have another "provider" but would forward our case to the "traffic" department so that they could find a contractor in our area. We were told they would call us back within two hours. Of course, that did NOT happen.

Now Tuesday morning I called them back and they said again that someone from the traffic group would be calling us within 24 hours. I asked what happened to the 2 hour call back and reminded them that we are now without hot water, they apologized and said they could see in their system that the case was active and assured me that it was being worked on... Wednesday, we received a call from them at 4:56 pm where they left a message. We returned the call at 5:10 only to find out that the department that handles finding a contractor closes promptly at 5:00. I went to Home Depot, purchased a water heater and installed it myself within about a couple of hours.

Thursday, to see if there was any way to recover the cost we called and were told we could hire a licensed contractor of our choosing. But that is another process in and of itself. Curious, I asked if I could replace it myself. She asked me if I was a licensed contractor. I said of course not but I owned the property. She said only a contractor could evaluate the repair. I told her about the calls not being returned as promised and that I had already replaced the water heater myself and would be happy if they would just pay for the water heater. No labor, just the appliance. She said, unfortunately the process had to be followed and they could not do that.

Bottom line, my experience mirrors those of many others here and on other review sites. They stalled for long enough that we could not be without hot water any longer. Had we followed the process to the end I am convinced it would have taken at least a week. We made the repairs required to fix the situation which let them out of any responsibility to their customer. I would NEVER consider a home warranty product to be of any value or consideration when buying a property. I now firmly believe that realtors who offer them to a potential buyer are grossly negligent in understanding that these products are worthless and will only be a source of aggravation if the customer ever tries to use it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have been out of water for 7 days now. I was told they did not have a service provider in my area however they would look and if they couldn't find someone they would work with me, for me to have someone come out, but I still have not heard anything back. I have called several times to try to talk to someone who could be more helpful in this area but I continue to get... "It can take up to 24 to 48 hours to fix your water main." We are now looking at 168 hours ago! Why would a service be sold if there were no service providers in the area and no attempt to allow the homeowner to contract a local plumber on an urgent matter? I would never recommend this company to anyone because you can use the money for the warranty to fix your own maintenance issues so much faster.

Original review: July 10, 2018

On 09 May 2018, I called HMS to report an A/C unit was not working. The response was quick and I had a service provider out to look at it within 2 days. A second visit (6 days later) was required to further diagnose the problem. I then waited to hear back from HMS on the part approval and to schedule repair. I finally called on 22 May to get status and was told that I would be covering nearly $500 of the items out of pocket and that two valves and two caps were to be ordered and delivered to the service provider. After calling again on 23 May, I was told the parts were "on order".

After receiving no notice for some time, I made some additional phone calls and queries and I found out that the parts were not ordered. I found out that they did not have the part # to order. After following up again, I found out the actual "order" was made on 06 Jun 18, with an anticipated arrival on 12 Jun 18. After following up a few times I was told on 18 Jun 18 that there was no delivery and that they had no tracking # for the order. Several inquiries later I was told on 29 June 18 that the part order had been cancelled and would be reordered. I was told to call again in a couple of days to ensure it had been ordered.

When I followed up, the word I got was that the part should be delivered by 06 July 18. A call today (10 Jul 18) to inquire about the delivery resulted in being told, yet again, that the part order had been cancelled and again, "just this morning" been reordered. A call to the HMS "ServiceBench” revealed that the order had to back through review and approval before actually being placed.

I have been over 2 months without A/C and I am no closer to having my problem resolved! I have run an organization that located, procured and expedited spare parts to locations all around the world. Not once did any part take this long to be delivered nor did any customer have to work his/her own ordering/delivery status. This is, at best, "poor" service. It is, at worst, an attempt to deny warranted service and a breach of contract.

Original review: July 10, 2018

This company is crap. We just bought a home and the seller purchased a home warranty for us. The day after we moved in the appliances stopped working. They claimed that they were pre existing conditions but when we did the inspection everything was fine with them. Our HVAC also went out which should be covered and was not. We spent a lot of money in all new appliances and HVAC fixes that should have been covered. They would not even come to the home to check anything. Their reps were rude. THIS IS A SCAM! They suck. Do not buy this warranty. Our Realty Company will no longer be offering them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kristen - I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items that may not be covered. If you would like for us to review your claim to ensure that you received the full benefit of your warranty, please respond to this message with your property address and a member of my team will investigate and follow up with you. - Austin

Original review: July 10, 2018

I had HMS for 5 years. During the first 4 things went well. They replaced a fridge, Gas pack and fixed a dishwasher twice. Then they were bought out and are now not so good. It appears that now they deny claims and make you wait months for a supervisor to review. I had 2 legit claims that were denied, had to pay the $125 per claim just to be denied when the cost to fix each would have been less than $125 if I had fixed myself. Now I have spent 600 for a useless warranty and $250 for contractors to come out and deny anything is wrong. Dropped them like a hot potato, and you should too.

HMS Home Warranty response

Andrew - We’re sorry to hear the warranty did not meet your needs. Thanks, Austin

Original review: July 7, 2018

Dishwasher broken for 2 months, no hope of repair or replacement. My realtor purchased this warranty as a gift for closing on my home. Within the first month of living in the house the 2016 Kenmore Elite dishwasher gave the F2/E2 error code. I called HMS for a claim and they sent someone out within 2 days. That person acted like he has never seen a dishwasher before and once he opened the dishwasher he couldn’t get it closed. He placed an order for a Kenmore moisture sensor (even though I told him the consensus on online help forums is that is not the fix to this issue, the fix is replacing the gray hose because it leaks and a new motherboard). This was 5/16/18.

It’s now 7/7/18 and I have not had a second appointment because HMS hasn’t approved the part (which isn’t going to fix the issue anyway, it needs a new motherboard). They have attempted to send other techs to the house that never show up. The dishwasher also shut down mid drain so it’s molding and my house stinks and myself and kids are at risk from health issues related to mold. They refuse to do anything about this, and they refuse to refund my deductible even though I didn’t receive services. I would recommend ANY home warranty service over this one. As I mentioned, this was a gift, but it just cost me more money because I have to buy a new dishwasher on top of the 100.00 I just threw away.

Original review: July 7, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE this home warranty!!! If you do, it will probably be one of the worst decision you'll ever make in your life. I wish I had a choice, but this scam company was recommended by their partnered real estate agency and had to find out the hard way that their sole purpose is to take your money. It doesn't matter to them what your situation is, or whether you have young kids in your house, or you're a veteran with special needs; all they care about is how they can take your money and deny any claim you'll make. Just so mad I didn't read the ratings before agreeing to go with this company. Hopefully I can save someone else the frustration and emotional suffering that I just experienced.

If you try to get your A/C fixed they will ask you for a home inspection from an independent contractor and if you don't have one then they will deny your claim and say it was pre existing. It's not in their contract but will ask you for one. I will do everything I can to spread the word about this scam company and hopefully get them out of business. I will also talk to an attorney and file a case so that no other family would go thru what you did to me.

HMS Home Warranty response

Eliseo - I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items that may not be covered and specific reasons we may not cover a repaired or replaced item. It is required to get authorization from us prior to repairing or replacing an item. It is clear that your experience was unsatisfactory. We also regretted to learn that you have since cancelled your contract with us. - Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 6, 2018

I've used HMS for exactly 2 years now to the date. I've filed 3 claims - 2 for my heater and 1 for my washer. The first time for my heater was fine. Needed a part, the contractor came out, diagnosed the issue, and fixed it when he came back a week later. The second time was a much bigger issue. They diagnosed the problem in October. Contractor said they needed new parts. Fine.

A month went by, no contact at all. I eventually call in and they say it's in "research" phase, where they look for the most cost effective option (so cheapest part they can find). Another month, starting to get chilly. No response. I call in, still in research phase. Okay. December I get a call and say there will be additional charges outside of the scope of coverage. I say that's fine, when can I expect it fixed? They said they ordered the part and it will be a couple of weeks. Fine. January comes, no word. Using space heaters, electric bill skyrockets.

Finally, things get "escalated" to a claims specialist, who looked to "expedite" things. It worked, part gets ordered. Contractor calls me, they ordered the wrong part. Claims specialist helps and expedites another order. February everything is fixed. 5 months, no heat in the winter. Most recent issue: My washer. Claim filed May 24, contractor came out May 28, parts need to be ordered, pay deductible. No response.

Call in June 11, 2018 "research" phase for parts needed. Call in June 27, 2018 rep still knows nothing, said she would escalate and have someone call me within 24-48 hours. Nothing. Called July 6, 2018, still nothing. Says they are waiting to hear back from the contractor. This makes no sense. Now here we are, having not been able to wash clothes at home for over a month. Stay away from this warranty company. They are part of a bigger home warranty group called HomeSure of America, check out their BBB ratings.

Original review: July 6, 2018

What is the point of having a platinum coverage with HMS if you're not going to cover your broken ac unit!!! This company is a joke!! When you call and ask to speak to a person high up in the ranks...you can’t! There is no one to handle the problems! They won’t even give you a number to call someone with some power. CEO or someone like that! I WANT in writing what is covered in my platinum coverage. Because on the paper I have says the ac unit is covered!! Riddle me that!!! I am so pissed right now I could spit razor blades! DO NOT BUY from this company! Would give a zero but you have to pick something??? Will be contacting my attorney!

Updated on 07/10/2018: Thanks Austin! But it says in the book I have states you do cover the coils! So cover the coils! They are shot and my house now for over a week has been 80 + degrees! You can say what you want in here but my air conditioner is broken and it is covered under warranty!!!! Fix it!!! When you send the company of YOUR choice and they say it needs replaced then replace it! Do your ** job! All you're looking for in here is a 4 star rating and that is hard to find in here or anywhere else! I’ve done my research on your company and it is sad to hear all of these stories about how you all do business!

I have reported you to the BBB and I have spoke to my attorney. My attorney will cost me nothing as for your company... Well it won’t be free for you! Your supervisor is never available!!! I was told 6 days ago I was to receive a call from a supervisor and have yet to receive that call. Your reps laugh at my situation to me on the phone! What kind of people are you? Anyone could call 1,000 times a day and get a different story and a different story run around! Unbelievable **! I do have the address of the CEO of the company. Maybe I should ring his doorbell and see what he has to say!

HMS Home Warranty response

Chris - I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items/conditions of items that may not be covered. We’re sorry to hear the warranty did not meet your needs. Thanks, Austin

Original review: July 6, 2018

The seller provided an HMS warranty with purchase of my new home. I my gas dryer went out, service was scheduled from a local provider who was prompt and very nice. They identified that several parts were needed and they had to order them directly from HMS. This has been almost TWO months ago. The service provider hasn't heard anything. When I call HMS they say the claim is in Research. It has been in this state since the service provider was here TWO MONTHS ago. I call, there is never a supervisor available, they escalate so I will get a callback and that never happens. I asked to speak to Research directly and they don't have a number to provide.

I think that Research is just another word for "Let's make the customer wait so long that they go out and replace it themselves so we are off the hook". This is the second claim I had with them as I had an issue with the washer also. The provider came out and fixed that, but HMS never marked it complete even after I told them on the phone the work was complete. I now see that they have it listed as "canceled". I now had to issue a third claim as my AC went out. Based on what I see from prior feedback, I don't expect that to be fixed by them either. While I can use the Laundromat while my dryer is out of service (my cost), it isn't an acceptable option when you have no AC, hot temps and need to sleep at night.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Our A/C furnace went out on July 4th. My husband a licensed HVAC technician tried to revive the system but, the condenser is shot. We have to pay $125 for a “partnered” contractor to confirm. Well 8 hours later nothing! I have been on the phone for 47 minutes and counting. No supervisor wants to pick up the phone and speak with me. It’s 87 degrees in Northern VA. I have a toddler. I asked repeatedly for a name and contact number to rectify this issue. The agent doesn’t know who the CEO is, a supervisor or who and what time I should call. A horrible company. Do your research before you assume the existing warranty!

Original review: July 5, 2018

You pay your premium on time and when you have an issue you can’t get an answers or information. My AC unit had a hole in the coil and I paid my part to have the vendor they decided come over and told us we need a new unit. We submitted the claim March 26, 2018. We are in July 2018. We still have no answer and we’re living without air conditioner in 98 degree temperature. I called them many time and their answer is, "Research department working on it." You can’t talk to anyone that makes a decision and when you ask to they say, "We’re telling you all we know." We decided to replace the unit ourself. This is the worst company ever and they should not get away with this.

Original review: July 5, 2018

DOES ANYONE WANT TO FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? 14 DAYS with no AC. Finally got a call from HMS. They did not leave message. After calling back they told me my evaporator coil has FINALLY BEEN APPROVED! But, I need to PAY $799! HMS headquarters (Arlene) could not confirm that I have paid for the Premium Upgrade that covers any additional expenses to install my part. And, the evaporator coil could not be ordered until I, the customer, called back today so that they could confirm I had paid for PUP coverage. I even offered Arlene to do her job for her - I was willing to email, fax or send picture of proof of coverage. This is all for a part being used to jerry-rig my 26 year-old unit that uses R22 freon. The good news is ANOTHER 3-5 DAYS just to get the part ordered. It's 91 * today with a real feel of 102. This is CRIMINAL! As I said, LAWSUIT ANYONE?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 4, 2018

Over a month ago we placed a claim for our water heater. And we still don’t have the problem fixed! The first contractor HMS schedules for us, calls and tells me that they don’t like working with you (bad sign right there) so I need to set up a new claim. The new contractor is very busy and can’t schedule someone to come out to see us for a week. Once he finally comes in and looks at the heater he tells me that it needs to be replaced and we should hear about it in 48 hours. So I wait 48 hours so that HMS can figure it out while they get the paperwork from the contractor. Then I call and it takes about 5 phone calls to HMS because I kept getting transferred and the calls were dropped, so every single time I would call I need to explain the whole situation again to the new agent.

Took me around 2 hours on the phone so that in the end they tell me that they are studying the case and we will have an answer in 48 hours. So I call again and nobody can find my claim... This is week 3 now. Finally someone does some searching and they find that my claim was in the wrong department. How does that even happen??? So then they give me the option of taking a check to buy the water heater myself or they work with a contractor to get us a heater and install it. So I take the second option. Then they say that it will take 6-8 days to order the heater and have it shipped. Once it's shipped we’ll schedule an install appointment. Finally by week 4 the contractor gets HMS paperwork to get us a new water heater. So I call the contractor and they tell me that they don’t install water heaters anymore and that I need to call HMS and get someone new.

At this point in week 4 I’m tired, annoyed, frustrated, you name it. So I ask for the check, and what I’m given is $700. So I go to different places to get quotes for a new heater and the cheapest I can get is around $1100. So who’s gonna pay for the rest??? I’ve had this insurance for almost 2 years, and never had a problem, I don’t understand what happened to this company, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone! I called on July 3rd and was told that a supervisor was going to call me to talk about my claim, 4 hours later I call back and they told me that everyone’s gone for the day that I should try the next day (July 4th) and when I called they said no supervisors are in since it’s a holiday. Get it together people please!!! I also posted this review on their Facebook page and it was erased and I was blocked from the page! So I guess this is how you guys really do business.

HMS Home Warranty response

Beto - We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining service. We aim to provide each of our customers with quick and efficient service, and it is apparent that we missed our goal. We’re sorry to hear the warranty did not meet your needs.Thanks, Austin

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have an HMS warranty covering my house and in ground pool. My pool pump went out and a claim was filed on June 3. HMS didn't get a contractor out until June 21, and the contractor recommended a full replacement. Wanting to upgrade to a slightly large pump, and not wanting to wait the 3 weeks the contractor quoted me to switch out the pump when I can do it myself in under an hour, I called HMS on June 25 to request a cash payment in lieu of the repair. HMS claimed, and still claims, to not know how much of a cash credit they can give me. Meanwhile, after almost 1 month, my pool is near overflowing from rain, it is filled with algae and who knows what else, and they still won't give me an answer on my credit amount.

When my wife called, they claimed to have tried to call me twice, a lie and I have phone records to show that, and stated that if I missed another (imaginary) call they would cancel my claim. Horrible service all around, although I will give them the 1 star (because I have to) and because everyone I have talked to has always been polite, but completely unhelpful.

Original review: July 2, 2018

This company is an absolute disgrace. Their customer service is horrible, they don't have a good system in place for processing claims. I have a claim that I put in over a month ago and I'm still waiting for it to be resolved. I have called customer service numerous times (lost count at this point) and I never get consistent answers or I get hung up on by their customer service reps. When asking to speak with a supervisor I get hung up on or told no one is available and ask if I want a callback, which I rarely get back.

I've been with this company for 4 years since I purchased my home, I rarely use it but when I need it the most unfortunately I get "the low end of the stick". This has been a waste of my money. Also tried to call their corporate office number to file a complaint about getting hung up on and just keep getting the runaround or told by the corporate operator "maybe they had phone trouble" and just like that being transferred back to the customer service line. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. THERE ARE BETTER HOME WARRANTY COMPANIES OUT THERE!!!

Original review: June 30, 2018

WORSE company ever. Soon to be Cross Country Home Services. We recently bought our home and had to contact HMS under the warranty the previous owner bought and provided us for 1 year of coverage. We had a thorough inspection of our home to include the HVAC unit. Our HVAC has been serviced now twice since we moved in, and each time I had to pay a $100 deductible. The 1st Technician serviced our HVAC the end of April, and had to replace parts, and still didn't work too well. The 2nd Technician serviced our HVAC on May 22nd, and submitted a report/claim to HMS stating the following; "Arrived to check operations of A/C system upstairs. Found outdoor not coming on. Test unit, found bad condenser motor and control board. Check air handler in attic. Found coil leaking and oil on coil. Recommend replacement. System will report to home warranty. "

HMS had not once contacted us to inform us that they received the report or notify us of next steps. After a few phone calls requesting status, HMS requested our home inspection report and we sent it to them to include additional documentation on 5/30/18. We provided the inspection report detailing the HVAC inspection portion, which was conducted on 3/15/18. Based off the inspection report, the inspector stated the following; "Have HVAC Technician examine. A condition was found that suggest a heating contractor should do a further analysis. We suggest doing this before closing."

The previous owner was notified and the HVAC was serviced on 3/22/18 based off the recommendation in the inspection report, and provided us the inspection report, which we also provided to HMS stating the following; "Scope of work to perform inspection/service of a 3&4 Ton Heat Pump System (Air Handler/Condenser) Clean condensation pan and draining traps. No leaks detected. Ventilation fans inspected and operable on a thermostat sensor. Wall thermostat operating as should bathroom ventilation fans also working as they should." HMS requested the entire inspection report on 5/31/18, which we provided on 5/31/18. Still no one from customer service contacted us via phone to discuss anything, but I did receive an auto reply e-mail stating to allow 3 to 5 business days from the date received for the review of your request, and another e-mail stating 7 to 10 business days... confused.

I then contacted them on 6/6/18 requesting status and received another auto reply stating another 3 to 5 business days. I finally call on 6/10/18 and was informed that the replacement was approved, but they were waiting for the Authorization department to review. (Again confused). We waited a few more days and nothing, so I called back to HMS customer service requesting status and the same message, but this time with an apology for the delay... yet again I called and again the same message and I was informed that a supervisor would contact me, but told me there was nothing a supervisor could do because the Authorization dept. makes the final decision... So in this case what would a supervisor be able to do??? But as of today 6/30/18 I am still waiting for a call from a supervisor and still no replacement and today it's 100 degrees outside... Go figure.

However, we did receive a call last week from HMS customer service stating that in her notes the replacement was denied because they found the issue to be a previous problem. Not sure where that was stated previously. We informed the customer service rep that this was not a previous problem and that we submitted ALL the supporting documentation in the initial e-mail at the end of May, and she stated she didn't see that, but that she would put it in her notes and look into it. REALLY? I guess our next stop will be to the BBB. Hopefully they can help resolve this issue, and maybe a supervisor, who can make decisions will finally contact us. Not even worth one star, but had to put something just to rate them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mr. Wells, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items/condition of items that may not be covered. We are sorry to hear your warranty did not meet your needs. - Austin

Original review: June 30, 2018

Purchased house in November, seller provider warranty. Air conditioner leaked after first few warm days and caused a wet basement. Assigned HVAC co. took 4 visits to accurately diagnose a Freon leak. HMS took an additional week, which included many follow up calls including one with a customer service rep male who refused to put me on hold to speak to his manager, to give me two options for my “coverage”. Option 1 Accept a claims credit buyout of $100.00 to be used towards the repair, including labor or installation, using your own licensed and insured service company to complete the work. Option 2 Accept the repair/replacement of the Straight Cool Split System with authorization given to AL'S TWIN AIR, LLC to complete the work.

Please be advised that in addition to your $100.00 service call deductible, there are charges totaling to $1,212.00 that are associated with the repair/replacement of the unit that are not eligible for coverage and are to be paid directly to the service provider. My children and I have been without ac for weeks already. I’ve paid two deductibles already because the unit was not diagnosed properly the first two visits by same HVAC tech. Please let me know how $100 is coverage. How can I replace my unit with that. Please provide me with the research that took a week to decide $100 should be a sufficient cost. I am out of pocket a minimum of $1400 to go with company who neglected to diagnose properly or the whole cost of replacement installation etc. minus $100. Unacceptable, I wish I could provide a 0 star rating.

HMS Home Warranty response

Suzanne - We've located your account and will review your claim. A member of our team will contact you once the investigation is complete to address your concerns. - Austin

Original review: June 29, 2018

I bought my home in April of this year. I filed a claim for my water heater, and the first company never called me back. The second company the rep was very rude and said they couldn’t fit me in until August. She also told me my problem wasn’t covered by the warranty (which is plainly states it is covered in my brochure). So, I tried calling HMS to see if I could have a different service provider. I called the number on my brochure, which is 100% automated. I couldn’t speak to a representative even if I wanted to.

I tried cancelling my current claim and filing a new one using the automated system. The system kept telling me I was filing a claim for my washing machine. No, it’s my water heater! I’m frustrated beyond belief number one because of the rudeness of the service provider and number two because I can’t get a hold of an HMS rep to save my life. Ridiculous. Going to pay out of pocket so I can get the job done and done right. Won’t be renewing that’s for sure.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Our water heater died and flooded our basement. We called HMS who we have had for about 3 years. They had an outside plumbing contractor to come out and look at it and determine that it indeed needs replacing. The contractor has thus far been excellent. HMS however, has had our water heater case in "research" for over a week. The gag is: research means "we are looking for the item to replace your broken one". I'm floored that an agency that is literally paid to replace broken appliances can't do a basic Google search to find said items. Or better yet they don't just contract with suppliers of these items... SINCE THIS IS WHAT YOU LITERALLY DO! I don't believe that for one second!

What has actually occurred is they haven't taken the time to just order the darn thing. While I was on the phone today with the plumbing contractor she says "Oh! We've just received a note asking us to just give you all one that we have in stock." The note was only even sent to them because we spent at least three hours total of the day complaining and basically confirms that they have yet to even look for one. I asked to be escalated to a supervisor who says "There's no timeframe on how long research takes." WHAT? So you are telling me that it could be whenever you feel like it, essentially? I asked the supervisor, who was above her. She tells me that I can be placed on a list to get a call back in up to 72 hours, business days only.

It's Friday though. So I have been without hot water for two weeks with a toddler and it's going to take up until Wednesday of NEXT week just to talk to a superior. Every single customer rep that I've spoken with had to research the answer to basic questions such as "Is it yours or the service providers duty to order the water heater?" Not one single rep knew the process and kept bouncing me to the next rep when they couldn't answer. All of this is occurring but they have had our deductible, in full, for two weeks. They knew how to expedite taking our coins but not how to actually provide the darn service. So here I am still without hot water for two weeks and counting with not one person who answers the darn phone knowing how much longer this could even APPROXIMATELY take. This is UNACCEPTABLE!

HMS Home Warranty response

Joan - I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. Please respond to this message with your claim number or property address and a member of our team will investigate. - Austin

Original review: June 29, 2018

My saga with my upstairs AC began on May 14, 2018. I will admit that initially I did not call every day to move things along. I had major rotator cuff surgery and another minor procedure that kept me from regularly following up when service providers did not show up. Beginning June 4, 2018, this has been my top priority!

After the second assigned service provider finally informed me that they no longer participated with HMS, I attempted to call HMS three times to get another provider. Each call was disconnected at various stages. On one call I did manage to get a rep on the phone and spoke to him for over 12 minutes before the call was dropped. When I couldn't reach HMS, I began calling providers in my area to see if I could find one who participated. Five calls later, I gave up. I ultimately went online and submitted a new claim. The online system informed me that I had an appointment scheduled for the next day.

On 6/5, I was THRILLED that a technician showed up. He informed me that the unit would have to be replaced (it has been "fixed" through HMS warranty twice already). He told me the process, told me it would take about 2 weeks, and he collected the $125 deductible. I tried to patiently wait through the 2 weeks, but ended up calling HMS just shy of 14 days later. When I reached on to them on 6/18, they told me that they hadn't received anything from the service provider. Rep told me that she would email them and also told me to reach out to them. My husband and I both left voicemails with the service provider for two days.

On 6/20, I again called HMS to inform them that I could not reach the service provider. At this point we were just getting "mailbox is full" messages. I was AGAIN told that they would email the service provider and that I should wait TWO more days for a response and if none was received, they would assign a new one and I would not have to pay another deductible.

On 6/22, I AGAIN called HMS. (At this point I started to keep track of how long I was on hold with each call.) The rep put me on hold while he tried to reach the service provider. After being on hold and talking to the rep on and off for 43 minutes, the call was dropped. I immediately called back and after holding for a long time, I got a rep that I had a very difficult time understanding. After re-explaining everything and holding some more, my claim was finally re-assigned to a FOURTH service provider. I was told that they would be out the next day, but that I should call to confirm the appointment. I called the new service provider and left a voicemail.

On 6/23, no one showed up. I called the new service provider and left a message. On 6/25, I tried the service provider again. This time they answered and said that they had tried to reach me but had the wrong phone number. They told me that HMS had already re-assigned my claim. I immediately called HMS and FINALLY asked to speak to a supervisor/manager. Had to spend a lot of time on the phone with the rep before I spoke to a supervisor, but he was helpful. My claim had been re-assigned to a FIFTH provider.

Before I got off the phone, I Googled the company and was THRILLED to find that they had an actual website and appeared to be an actual "company". None of the others did. I also asked the supervisor about "buyout" the repair, something that had been mentioned to me a one point. He told me that it was rarely done, and really not the best option (financially), but if a resolution wasn't found soon, I may want to pursue. So another appointment was set, but I should call to confirm.

I immediately called the FIFTH service provider and was told that the first appointment was two days later, 6/27. I was told a technician would be to my house sometime between, "late morning and early afternoon". On 6/27 at 11:50 am, I called the provider to confirm that a technician was coming. It was confirmed. By 2:30 pm not one showed, so I called again. I got voicemail and I left a message. I called back at 4 pm. My appointment was again confirmed! Finally at 6:30 pm, they showed up!

The technicians were very nice and informed us that the coil needs to be cleaned and that it was probably not covered (~$100). This needs to be done before a leak test can be done. They will submit to HMS for approval and let us know. Next step will probably be to replace the coil. (Interesting note: The techs told me that there was confusion because I was on their schedule for Tuesday, but then they were told to cancel. Then I showed up on Wednesday's schedule, but there was more confusion, so they were not planning on coming.) They told me that I should follow up with HMS in about two days. They also wanted to collect another $125 from me. (I didn't pay it.)

Not willing to wait another two days, on 6/28 I called HMS. I was on hold for a very long time and eventually got to a rep that I had a very difficult time understanding. It took a very long time to confirm my account (NO--- none of my contact information has changed!) and to get to the point of the call. Nothing had been received from the FIFTH service provider, but I "shouldn't worry" because they would reach out to them. So then I asked about the second $125 deductible. I was put on hold, but checked in on every two minutes or so. He asked me if the claim was "re-opened" and I told him that I didn't know what that meant, but the claim was never closed in the first place, since no work had ever been done. I was on the phone over 30 minutes before he confirmed that an email would be sent to the provider to let them know that I did not owe another $125.

So today, 6/29, I called HMS again. On DAY 25 of this claim and DAY 45 overall, they have FINALLY received an authorization request! I was informed that the claim is now in "Authorization" and that I would receive a call when something had been decided. I asked for a general idea of how long that could take and he wouldn't even venture a guess, but assured me that someone would call when it was complete. I told him no problem, because I'll just call back tomorrow! I can't wait to see where this journey takes me!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Do not use the Home Warranty company. Claims if they approve take weeks to have someone come. Half the claims are denied with some sorry excuse. They say they will get with a claim decision or question. Never do. Service is the worst. I am constantly trying on the phone to follow up. I have the service people confused on their next steps. Do Not go near these guys.

HMS Home Warranty response

George - I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items/instances that may not be covered. In this instance manufacturer defects are not address by your warranty Agreement, but also see that we did offer a claims credit for the failed fan motor that we do address. We are sorry to hear the warranty did not meet your needs. - Austin

Original review: June 28, 2018

It has been just about a month now since I started the claims process with HMS for my dryer, and I am still without a working dryer. The claims process is very easy and the customer representatives have been very friendly; however, this whole process seems to have taken way longer than it should. The company handling the repair came out on time, and said the dryer needed to be replaced since the parts were no longer available. I paid my $100 deductible and was told that I would be contacted by HMS regarding the replacement.

A few days went by, I heard nothing, so I called HMS, and was told that parts were ordered and I needed to contact the repair company for a status update. When I contacted the repair company they said the parts were backordered and likely would never arrive so the dryer would be replaced. Another couple of days went by, and I got a text message from HMS saying parts were ordered and I need to contact the repair company to schedule the repair. When I contacted the repair company, they said the parts were ordered from another source, but were still back ordered.

In turn, I contacted HMS to inquire why the dryer isn't being replaced since we have been waiting for backordered parts for two weeks. I got some generic blanket response at which point I asked to speak to a manager. In response to my request, I was told all of the managers are busy and I would be getting a call back in 24-48 hours. About a week went by without any contact from HMS or repair company, so I logged on to the HMS page, and noticed the status changed to "Awaiting Your Decision" so I called HMS and they informed that my dryer was being replaced since the parts were not available. Keep in mind, I was told by the repair company on the initial visit the parts are not available, and would have to be replaced.

I opted for HMS to replace the dryer instead of providing me a credit for the dryer since the amount they were offering to credit me would only pay for about half of the cost of a new electric dryer. I was then told I will get a call in 3-5 days once the dryer arrives to schedule delivery. 5 days went by, no call regarding delivery of the dryer. I just got off the phone with HMS and they said that the estimated date for the dryer to arrive is now July 5. I asked if it was possible to cancel the order and just take the credit, and I was informed it wasn't possible.

I am already at 24 days without a dryer, and if these estimates are to be trusted, it will be 31 days before I can even schedule delivery. Who knows how long that will take? This has been a terrible experience for my family and I. We have spent the last few Sundays at the laundromat drying clothes, and it looks like that will continue for at least the next week or two.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have had terrible response from repair service department. They assigned me to a technician and then cancel and reassigned to a new one over and over leaving me without the ability to get my air conditioning repaired. I live in Tennessee and it is 95 degrees on average.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I acquired a HMS Home Warranty as part of a home purchase. I will NEVER use HMS Home Warranty again. I have done two claims thus far. One has gone completely uncovered for reasons they can't explain. The other I have been waiting almost 90 days and counting to get reimbursed on. Continue reading if you would like to get walked through the process that HMS Home Warranty provides.

First, submit a claim for a water heater. One week later, they call only to alert me in a voicemail that they cannot find plumbers in the area. After one missed call, they leave a voicemail saying to find my own and since I didn't answer they will merely send me a $250 check to cover the water heater. I'm not even in the business and I know a $250 check will not come close to cover this. I call back within thirty minutes. They tell me to find my own, make the plumber call them to verify the work needed and seek approval, then pay for it and then submit the invoice for reimbursement. (So they can promptly answer and take phone calls to verify the work but on the exact same call not handle payment??).

Anyways, I do all of this. I submit my invoice via website, via email three times. Meanwhile I receive a $250 check in the mail... I call multiple times. I email multiple times. I submit questions via website multiple times. 80% of which go UNANSWERED! How does a business not respond to the customer once much less 80% of the time?! Ridiculous. I am still waiting for the remaining balance to be reimbursed after almost 90 days!

Second, submit a claim for general plumbing. My claim gets denied because "my contract starts on March 29th". My phone calls, my invoice from my plumber, etc. all date March 30th. Over a span of two weeks I talk to multiple representatives attempting to make clear that March 30th does indeed come after March 29th which makes the work within my contract. After multiple conversations, I get forwarded on to a manager. A manager that before she even starts talking to me, has already made up her mind and starts the conversation with "what's your problem?". After she finally comes to understand the mix up between dates, she moves onto her next excuse that the work is "suspicious".

After the blasphemy accusation that my claim was "suspicious" I asked to speak to her supervisor. She lines this out and says that her supervisor will call within 24-72 hours. THREE WEEKS LATER, I get a call at 9AM on a Saturday to follow up my discussion. I was so annoyed with the whole deal that I told her I didn't want to deal with them anymore and I'll just pay for the plumbing work myself. She responded with something like, okay sounds good, bye. WONDERFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE! A supervisor among managers among representatives has the attitude of "great, one more person we successfully avoiding paying out!".

This company is an absolute JOKE. This company is the epitome of why people hate paying into insurance. I will NEVER use HMS Home Warranty and will alert anyone I know to never use them as well. They are an absolute waste of time and money. I am convinced the representatives are told to ignore and delay every issue until the customer gives up and or forgets.

Original review: June 27, 2018

On May 5th a claim was filed with HMS regarding our air conditioner not blowing cold air. A service technician was out to our home within 2-3 business days and the part request was submitted by the service technician, according to HMS, on May 21st. After multiple, daily phone calls (experiencing excessive wait times, representatives that were unable to assist, supervisor phone call requests, dropped calls from HMS) we were told the parts were approved and were scheduled to arrive to the service technician on June 20th. As of June 26th, the parts have still not been delivered and not one can seem to locate them. We've resulted to having our service technician calling HMS, with very little luck.

We were told on Thursday, June 21st that the parts would be expedited since they didn't arrive on the 20th and today, June 26th we were told HMS does not "expedite" parts. Just an example of different stories from different representatives we've experienced. We continue to call daily with no updates. Our account has a medical emergency, with a small child in the house, and this company simply does not care. The temperature in our home averages between 90-94 on a daily basis. I would like each one of their employees to live in a home that's between 90-94 for 8 weeks, with a small child that has medical issues and pets, to see what it's like.

We've had previous claims (furnace, dishwasher) with HMS and their service was outstanding; however, I would not recommend this company going forward. I understand we are not the only people experiencing air conditioner issues, especially based on recent reviews, but look at a pattern with all of the recent reviews. We are all still waiting... HMS treats their customers like a number and the manner in which the company handles claims clearly indicates how valued their customers are. Their business practice is unprofessional and unacceptable. There are too many home warranty companies out there and if a company wants to retain their customers, they need to take care of them.

HMS Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

HMS Home Warranty, a member of Cross Country Home Services, has been providing home warranties for more than 30 years in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. The company has special tools to help real estate agents who must manage multiple home warranties.

• Service providers: HMS has a network of more than 40,000 service professionals throughout its coverage area. The company screens providers to make sure they have the appropriate licenses and insurance for their state.

• Claims hours: Home warranty customers can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even on holidays, by calling the company or logging on to their online account.

• Instant coverage for sellers: Home sellers who sign up for the warranty receive immediate coverage, pay at closing in most states and have 180 days of coverage with an optional extension if the home is still listed with a real estate agent.

• Emergency lodging reimbursement: Homeowners whose HVAC system is non-operational for more the 24 hours after they make a service call and those who experience a waterline break that isn’t fixed within 24 hours can receive reimbursement for hotel lodging for the days they must be out of their home.

• Marketopedia: Real estate professionals will appreciate HMS’s Marketopedia tool. The cloud-based service allows real estate agents to manage all aspects of the HMS warranties for homes they’re selling. It also features marketing tools to help them grow their businesses.

• Best for: real estate agents, first-time homebuyers, home sellers and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information