2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

For over 40 years Cinch Home Services (formerly HMS Home Warranty) has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

Cinch is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 18,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

HMS offers plans for all stages of home ownership. While there are some limitations in standard coverage, all essential items are covered, and a variety of add-on options are available to customize your plan.

PROS

• Customizable coverage for buyers
  • Emergency lodging reimbursement
  • No waiting period for sellers
  • Plans for all real estate stages

CONS

• High deductible
  • Full coverage subject to add-on fees

Top HMS Home Warranty Reviews

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. [The plumber] assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them...

I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked.

HMS Home Warranty plans

Buying a home can be intimidating, but a home warranty can give you peace of mind and reduce the cost of expensive repairs or replacements. HMS Home Warranty offers plans that cover all of the major systems in your home, from plumbing and electrical to the HVAC system.

HMS offers plans to customers nationwide through more than 40,000 local service representatives and offers 24/7 customer service. HMS offers the following types of warranty plans:

• Seller: Designed for someone selling a home that wants coverage while the home is on the market. Covers major appliances and systems.
  • Buyer Conversion: Begins with the seller while the home is on the market, then is transferred to the buyer once the home is purchased.
  • Buyer Direct: Can be purchased by a home buyer at the time of closing. HMS offers advanced coverage only available for buyer plans.
  • New Home: Coverage begins one year after the sale closes, which is typically when a builder’s warranty would expire.
  • Open Direct: This plan is for existing homeowners. Anyone can purchase this type of plan at any time. Becomes effective 30 days after the plan is purchased.

HMS Home Warranty cost

The average cost for an HMS Home Warranty is around $40–$50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. Their service call fee, the amount you’ll pay for a technician to come to your home (also known as a deductible) varies by region.. The Premier Upgrade Plan is available for an additional $89 of $99 each year, depending on where you live.

Because prices vary by location and plan selected, to get an accurate quote for your home, you’ll need to request a quote directly from HMS.

PlanStarting Monthly Cost
Buyer$37 ($449/year)
Seller$32 ($449/year)
New Home$46 ($549/year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

HMS Home Warranty coverage

HMS covers a good selection of home systems and appliances. Coverage availability may differ slightly between warranty plans, with homebuyers having the widest selection of coverage options.

All HMS Warranty plans cover:

• Kitchen appliances
  • Jetted tub
  • Sump pump
  • Water heater

Air conditioning, washer and dryer may also be covered depending on your location.

*Additional fee applies on seller plans

Optional coverage for home buyers:

• Outside gas lines
  • Outside sewer and water lines
  • Pools/spas
  • Septic tanks
  • Water softeners
  • Well pump systems

*Add-on prices range from $40-205 per item.

Premier Upgrade Package:
When purchased, the Premier Upgrade Package (PUP) will provide buyers with up to $1,000 of coverage for non-covered charges associated with a covered repair or replacement. It provides coverage for items not typically included in home warranty contracts like duct, electrical and plumbing modifications, code upgrades and permits.

HMS Home Warranty Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I've been with Cross Country for at least 10 years. Historically, their service is great. They're responsive. The vendors that they've dispatched to our home are effective and efficient in resolving matters. But I had an experience with them over the course of the last three weeks that was not positive. I responded to a survey back today regarding that very negative experience.

Evidently, the vendors that they would normally contract with no longer have a contract in my area. My claim was outsourced to a different warranty company that did have a contract with a vendor in the area. I wasn’t working directly with them but I was going through them then they were having to outreach to the other vendor to follow up for me or find out where we were in the process. I requested that they escalate it because it had to do with our refrigerator freezer in our home and it took three weeks to get the refrigerator running. We went three weeks without a major appliance in our home. I'm not very pleased.

Also, I did all the follow-up like me contacting the vendor or me contacting the warranty company. The second time that I contacted them, I requested that it be escalated and was told that it was. The fourth time that I contacted them, I was told that it had never been escalated. By that time, the vendor had already contacted me that the parts were in. I wanted to schedule the appointment for a repair but the vendor wouldn't schedule it until they had the parts.

When the parts came in, I had to find their next available appointment which was a full three weeks from the first time that they came out to inspect the appliance. That was odd to me because we've had things repaired. We've even had a refrigerator repaired before although not this particular one in question. The vendor came out the same day, inspected it, and fixed it the same day. But for this particular claim, the gentleman from the vendor came out on a Friday, inspected it, and said they were gonna have to order parts. I needed to unplug the refrigerator and let it completely thaw. He told me that unfortunately, it was a Friday. By the time he could get back to the office, it could be Saturday or Monday before they could enter my paperwork. In reality, it was actually the following Tuesday that the paperwork got entered and that's when I tried to start speeding things up with no luck.

What I'm used to with Cross Country is they dispatch somebody out, they address the issue, and they resolve the issue the same day. Very rarely have I had a situation where there was an issue like after the first year when we had an issue with the plumbing. They dispatched somebody out who ended up making the problem worse. They told me that they couldn't resolve the problem and that I would either need to contact the warranty company or their office. The tech left and I called their office back. They said they couldn't get somebody else out there to fix what needed to be fixed. It was after Christmas and I would have to wait five more days to get somebody out.

I called the warranty company back and they dispatched a new vendor within probably 24 hours and had the issue resolved within 15 minutes. They handled that one well because they were willing to dispatch a different vendor out. But with my refrigerator claim, it's a little bit different. My guess is the last time we had a refrigerator worked on under this warranty company, they used a Sears repair technician but Sears is no longer in our area. They closed. My guess is if there are still some Sears repair places within the country, their contracts are probably is still active. But in our area, with Sears pulling out, I'm sure that was part of the problem.

When I called in and asked for them to escalate the issue, it should have been escalated. They should have not told me that it was gonna be escalated. A note on the account to contact the customer for a follow-up to let me know that it had been escalated or where things were in the process would have been appreciated. The vendor was upset that I was calling them for follow-up because they weren't the friendliest.

The work was good but it was kind of a continual "Why do you keep calling me?" sort of thing. They would tell me they were waiting on the warranty company. When I would call the warranty company, they would tell me they were waiting on the vendor. I'm certain this is because they outsourced the request. Overall, the warranty coverage is good. As with anything with time, the out of pocket has gone up but it's still $100. And if you think about having to replace parts or have work done, you're still saving quite a bit of money with only paying $100.

HMS Home Warranty response

William, We have an unwavering commitment to provide exceptional service and we appreciate your detailed feedback. Thanks for sharing! - Angela

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

When the first reps from DMV Heating & Cooling came out here, they did the job but they didn’t install things correctly. It was causing my unit and my gas furnace to have more issues. I had a neighbor of mine come by in November and he mentioned that my pressure switch was bad but when DMV came out, they did not switch the pressure switch and it should’ve been switched back then in November. We had no heat for two months. We had to wait for a part that had to be ordered and it took close to a month. My four-year-old was the first one to get sick and then the rest of us started getting sick and it was because we didn’t have any heat in our two-level home. The portable heaters were not doing enough because it was just cold and this was in November and December time frame where the temperatures dropped really low.

DMV reassigned the claim because the tech was on vacation and they didn’t wanna come out here, so they wouldn’t pick up the phone. It took them two days to call me back. DMV is a big company but they are bad with communication. When I got Residential Systems, they were courteous and Mark was amazing. HMS should continue to do business with them. The technician that came out diagnosed the problem, figured out what it was, troubleshoot it, found the root cause and fixed it. Everything else was good with this recent claim and HMS really followed through. Rodemy, the supervisor, was amazing. I'm supposed to get a call back from her this morning because she missed me on Friday. So, I'm still waiting for her call. I had to pay Residential Systems $492 because of the work that DMV did improperly but I'm thrilled because I didn’t have to pay a deductible the second time.

This time around, there was constant communication and I received multiple call backs. The only thing that I dislike is that when you call in to HMS if you’re trying to do a claim over the phone, it gives you the runaround before you get to a representative. You have to speak into the virtual machine and it starts asking you all these questions. But then I realized I could do it online. Sometimes though, I like to explain so that it falls under the proper category. The drop down menus were what I was having trouble with and then I found out that my furnace is a gas furnace and not electric but it does give you the option now in the drop down menu.

I’ve had HMS here since 2015 and I have a townhouse in Virginia Beach, and I was curious as to why they canceled the policy at that townhouse. I used to have American Home Shield and then I switched over to HMS but they said that I would not be able to continue with the policy. I just got a letter with a random explanation. I ended up getting a new fridge and a new microwave because of it malfunctioning at my rental property and I have no coverage there. If HMS could investigate that, that would be nice. I was paying 51.99 for the rental property and I'm paying 46.99 for the property here, which is our primary residence. But I don’t have any coverage at the townhouse in Virginia Beach which I would love to have. If not, then everything else will have to go through my property manager and it’ll end up being a little bit more.

HMS Home Warranty response

Oneris, We appreciate your feedback about your claim experience, and we regret that the service you received from the first provider was less than expected. We’ll have our Renewal team follow up with you to better explain the renewal at your Virginia Beach home. Sincerely, Amanda

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have coverage with HMS Home Warranty on my home. The hot water tank wasn't heating, so I called HMS and they said that they would connect me with the company in the area that does the repairs. However, it took me a while to get the guy to answer back. The tech was very nice and was very friendly. He got back to me and he said he was kinda busy at that time. It was understandable because at that time, we were having some cold weather and he was out a lot for busted pipes and all kind of other things. When he came in, he looked at it and it happened to be just a small part that needed to be fixed, and it worked out really well. We paid $100 and after that, nothing else. The hot water tank is 25 years old and has been operating fine, so I was surprised. I thought they would replace it, but he said there is nothing wrong with it. At some point, we made a good decision on the water tank and to have just the heating element to be replaced.

Other than that, we also had a second call that we made for the lighting element, but it did not go so well. We needed an electrician and the only electrician HMS could find us was 60 miles away. At first, the rep tried to get me an electrician that was from Philadelphia. I said no and I said that I am from South Pittsburgh. She called back and said that they located one in Monroeville. I said that it was still 60 miles away. They couldn't take care of the problem for two weeks and the problem we had was the light switch was shortened out. We couldn't even turn the kitchen lights on. I was afraid because I could hear it buzzing and it would crackle. It was not good.

They ended up telling us, which was very nice too, "Go ahead. You're approved to go ahead and bring in your own electrician, and then submit the bill." As it turned out, we needed a $3 part and they replaced a light switch of the house, so we didn't even file the claim with HMS. Fortunately, it was just a minor repair that we didn't have to wait or go through the warranty company for, but I was surprised that they didn't have an electrician closer on hand. We don't live far off the country. We are 60 miles south of Pittsburgh and I know about this area. I know we have tons of electricians around here, so I don't know why we didn't have one, but it just kept coming up. I thought that they would have someone that wouldn't have to travel so far, that we wouldn't have to wait too long for. They wanted us to wait two weeks for an appointment and for the electrician as well.

Still, I'm really satisfied with HMS and we've not had a problem with them. They are on the money and they are fast. They check back right away to see if the appointment was met or whatever else we need. I am not disappointed just because they didn't have someone. It could happen anywhere with any warranty company. Maybe they didn't have someone in the area or maybe they had people and they got rid of them because they weren't serving the customer or because no one wanted to participate in their program. For the service that HMS is offering, it is a great service and I recommend it. Having the home warranty is a selling point because you are taking the pressure off of you and you are also taking the pressure off the buyer of the house because they don't have to worry about moving into a new house and being stuck without something right after something breaks.

HMS Home Warranty response

Joanne, We’re thrilled to hear that your claim experience went smoothly and we delivered the efficient service you expect. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience. - Christine

Original review: April 15, 2019

When our furnace was broken, HMS Home Warranty sent someone out and it was a really positive experience. The guys were on time and they diagnosed the problem really quickly, got the parts, and they were fantastic. We also had some plumbing issues and the plumber they originally sent out was terrible. First of all, he never showed up at the first appointment and wasn’t answering his phone. And then the following day, I called first thing in the morning and he said, “I called you four times yesterday to try to come over,” which was not true. I told him I never received any phone call and he then said he'd be there that day at noon. Noon came and went, I waited for him, cancelled appointments, called repeatedly, and then finally got in touch with him again at around 4:30 PM, and he told me he couldn’t make it that day, and he’d be here the next morning.

So, at that point I told him it was fine if that was what he could do. He then showed up and said, “I need to cut a hole in the wall to figure out where the leak is. It’s gonna cost you $495 if I cut the hole in the wall, and I’m not gonna be able to fix it. If you have a handyman, you might wanna use them to cut the hole.” I told him that I do have a handyman, and we’d have it cut in two days. He then came back two days later and he said we cut the hole on the wrong spot, which was not true again. It was exactly where he told me to cut it. So, I had to cut another giant hole in the dry wall on a different part of the room. And then we found the leak. It was a Saturday at that point and he said he’d be back on Monday to fix it. And then he never showed up again.

I eventually called HMS and told them the guy disappeared. And they told me that the claim had been closed and that the diagnosis that he had submitted stated that the damage was done through a recent construction work and they put in faulty piping, which was also not true. So, it was a lie after lie with that guy. I told HMS about that and they said his claims had already been submitted and my claim was closed because the technician has already submitted the report.

At that point, if he submitted the report in error, I asked them if I could get a second claim or get another person to come out. And the first person I spoke with said, “No,” because the person they sent had already submitted their report. That was what HMS is gonna go with. So I told the person, “I have zero recourse now? I just have to go, figure this out on my own?” She said I was welcome to file a complaint, and she gave me an email address. I told her I was just looking to fix the issue. We couldn’t use our showers and we had guests in town. So, at that point, I told her I had to go. When I called back later, I talked to somebody else who said, “No. We have your report, it’s been closed. I think you can get a second opinion, but if you do, that’s on your own dime.” And then I had to go again for work.

I called the third time that day, and the third person I spoke to said, “Well, absolutely you can get a second opinion,” and it was fantastic. The third person was very helpful and I was able to get the ball rolling again and they recommended a plumber who came out. And he was great and he fixed it. He noticed the problem immediately. It took him 10 minutes to come in here and sneak in there. He said nothing was new construction which was completely accurate. And so, the claim was ultimately accepted. So, that was a bit of a trial, but otherwise it’s been good. HMS did fix the problem and they’ve been great. It was more on the technician they sent that was the problem. I told HMS that I hope that the individual is taken off of their preferred service technicians list.

HMS Home Warranty response

Greg, This definitely does not sound right. Our service providers are a representation of our company, and we are disappointed to hear this was your experience. We are glad to have gotten you a second opinion to properly diagnose the failure. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure its provided to the appropriate parties within the organization for handling. - Christine

Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased HMS Home Warranty the first time in 1995 and I have had them ever since in different areas of the United States. Our recent claim to them was for the stove and the heater which were at the same time. HMS sent out Sears to repair our stove. The oven wasn’t working and the part that went out was no longer available so it took almost a month to get my stove fixed. What was really sad was that the stove is not that old, but the part wasn’t available. So, they had to come back, take the part off and then ship it out and have it repaired. It worked fine though. The repairman was Jo-jo and he was absolutely wonderful and the greatest person that Sears’s could have sent out. He was caring about the wooden floors and about making sure he didn’t make a mess anywhere. It was a 5-star experience all the way through.

On the other hand, the repair person that they sent out for the heater was absolutely a nightmare. We had problems from the beginning with him just not following up and not saying what he was gonna do. He came out, looked at the heater and said it needed three parts. He got the okay from HMS to get the parts and put them on but it was almost impossible to get him to come back and to answer his phone or give us a straight answer. When he finally came back out, the most he brought in was one screwdriver to work on the unit and there were no parts. He came in, went downstairs, started looking at the unit again and said the unit was really rusty and bad. He also said that the whole unit was shot and that we were lucky we were not getting carbon monoxide poisoning because the unit was in such bad shape. So, he said he would have to turn off the gas to the unit.

I asked him to show me where the rust that he was talking about was. From what he showed me, the rust in the unit was like a penny size and I could have taken a Brillo pad and lightly remove the rust. He then turned everything off and asked us if we had a Shark vac and we said no. He went to his truck and got a Shark vac and vacuumed up the little water that they had that took between 20 and 30 minutes. Then, he left and sent HMS a report saying that we needed a whole new unit. I kept on texting him back the next day to see if he got an answer and when he was coming back. Before he left my house on a Thursday, he would have the unit for Saturday and he would come around Saturday noon to replace it.

Once he did that, I started texting him on Friday to see if he got the okay and he told me that he’d call me back as he was online with the company. Four hours later, I never got a return call. I texted him back and called him many times but I never got an answer. So, I called the warranty company on Saturday at around 4 o’clock in the morning. I didn’t feel comfortable with him because I felt like he was ripping us and HMS off. At the same time that I’m calling HMS, my husband decided to do research on the guy and he found out that there were people that were trying to get his physical address so they can send out warrants for his arrest because he defrauded them out of so much money.

Apparently, the repair guy had another company named a different name. There were really bad reviews and even one of the reviews was someone that had the same warranty company as HMS. At first, when we told the rep that we found the guy within seconds on the internet with so many bad reviews, we were told that they didn’t go by what was reviewed on there until I told them that HMS was coming up and the kind of experience this person had. The review was a very ugly one and how the person would never use them again.

The girl that I talked to at 4:00 in the morning said that nobody was available and that she'd have someone call me back after 8:00. Then, someone called me back after 8:00 and I told her that I really wasn’t comfortable with the repair person coming back into my house and we would prefer somebody else. I was told that I couldn't just stop in the middle of everything. I asked her who will be responsible if the repair person comes back and changes the unit and screws up and the rep told me that it would be me who has to go back and get recourse to get it straightened out. I told her that I don’t want the person in my house. I then started telling her furthermore that the guy said a new unit is needed and he did not even try to put one of the three parts he ordered so how could he know if he even fixed the heating system. The rep said that the guy was charging them for the parts and for the repair.

Since I know a bit about mechanical things, I said that there was nothing seriously wrong with our unit. After the guy left, we saw a bug that died in one of the lines and it was the reason why the water was sitting there as the heating system got clogged. We pulled the bug out with a tweezer. The rep checked and we wound up with a really nice guy named Calvin. Then, we had another company come out and when the guy came out, he said that he had to pull all the parts back on that he took off. We told him about the problem with the line so he blew all the lines out. He explained to us that if one of the lines were clogged and with the way the system works, it would click off. It would not also come on if a line is clogged. So, he hooked everything back up and the unit worked fine.

The guy sent Calvin a report saying that everything was fine and that he didn’t see it needing a new unit. He didn’t see the rust that the guy was saying. He also said the only thing that he thought was that in the near future, probably the igniter might go out. So, Calvin asked us if it was okay that they change the igniter since it looked like it was getting ready to go out. He changed the igniter and it had been a couple of months and we have had no problem.

The unit was gonna cost HMS over $3,000 by the time the first guy would install it and we were told that he could change it within two hours. The other guy said there was no way, not with all the work that would have been done. We got the problem resolved and it ended very well. I would still recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend but I would explain to them that if they feel like something is wrong, they should explain it to the person. I wouldn’t want anybody to have the experience that I had.

HMS Home Warranty response

Terrin, We’re glad to hear that your claim got resolved, but sorry to hear about all the confusion with the provider. We appreciate your recommendation. Have a great day! - Amanda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: March 26, 2020

The contractors have all been great. I usually file claims over the phone and whenever they call and say they're gonna be there, they're there. When I bought my house, the warranty had already been bought so I just kept it. It has been going at least five years now and I haven't had any problems with my home warranty service.

HMS Home Warranty response

Robert – We aim to provide trusted experts on your service visits and we hope to service your home warranty needs for many more years to come. - Austin

Original review: March 24, 2020

The boiler wasn’t working. The contractor came out and then it was just only the relay switch. He checked the relay switch to see if it would trigger off the next time and if it did, then how to get it back on. He was very knowledgeable. However, HMS could improve on the timing of how they respond to a call. They should have more people that are knowledgeable about knowing how to fix things. That was a problem the first time because we didn’t actually know it was a boiler. We thought it was a furnace. Also, with customer service, when calling in for something that needs to be fixed and if it’s an emergency, someone should get back with you before the day is out.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mona, We appreciate your feedback on how your claim was handled and will ensure its provided back to the appropriate department to help improve our processes. - Angela

Original review: March 23, 2020

When I have to call HMS, it’s difficult to get through. Whatever the number is, I gotta Google all this whole big rigmarole to finally get to somebody and then I can’t call back. Whenever I call back about whatever issue, the system sends me to the contractor. I don’t wanna talk to the contractor. I wanna talk to HMS. When HMS answers, they always go through this whole litany of open orders.

But they find somebody who’ll fix the thing for me. Then the contractors come and fix it, I give them $100 for coming out, and I guess the next time HMS pays them. I’m assuming they’re paying for it because I never hear from anybody again. Recently our garbage disposal went up. A serviceman came the first time that I had to pay $100 for. He evaluated it and then got the approval from HMS to give me a new one. He came back out and put it in. He was lovely, a nice guy, and did a good job.

HMS Home Warranty response

Rita – We’re sorry to hear that you had difficulty navigating through our phone system, your feedback will be sent to the appropriate team for handling to improve customer satisfaction. We appreciate you taking the time to share your satisfaction with your garbage disposal claim. - Christine

Original review: March 22, 2020

Submitting a claim with HMS was really great. The very first one, I spoke to customer support. In the subsequent one, I submitted it online. The website is pretty much user-friendly so I don't see any issues there. Whatever my needs are, whenever I call them, they were able to align it immediately to the appropriate technician. Then I used to get a call back number. The technician used to call me. From then, whatever the time we agreed upon, they were able to come and complete the work. The contractors were good professionals and they have a good quality of work done.

HMS Home Warranty response

Pasumkili – We are thrilled to hear that you received the benefit HMS aims to provide! Thanks for sharing your claim experience. - Austin

Original review: March 21, 2020

I was with HMS for a year and the service is mediocre. I had an electrical issue that ended up being the city’s issue but the contractor went through my house and discovered there were some electrical issues that I ended up having to pay for instead of HMS. But it was an issue from prior so to me, it should’ve been covered. It was misleading. The other issue is getting the professionals that HMS hires to do anything. They don’t want to so once, I even had to pay ahead of time. But I also had some plumbing issues and HMS had taken care of the majority of it. I have a different plumbing insurance now though. I would recommend HMS for the first year but I'm not so sure if I would continue a subscription.

HMS Home Warranty coverage exclusions

HMS Home Warranty covers failure of select systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. The policy does not cover deliberate or accidental damage due to abuse or misuse of covered items. HMS warranties do not cover the handling of hazardous materials or the fees associated with hauling away replaced systems or appliances.

In some cases, parts deemed nonessential to the core function of a system or appliance may not be covered. For example, while your kitchen appliances may be covered under your contract, components like doors, glass, seals, drawers, lightbulbs and fixtures may not be covered. You can find a full list of exclusions via HMS's sample agreement.

HMS Home Warranty coverage limits

HMS does have coverage limits, but they vary depending on which covered item is in question. They generally range from $1,000 to $3,000. If an item has a coverage limit or cap, you will be responsible for covering any cost beyond that dollar amount. Overall, we found HMS’s limits generous and on the higher side of average compared to the industry.

ItemHMS’s coverage limit
    Septic tank pumping$500
    Septic tank replacement$1,000
    Swimming pool heater$1,000

HMS Home Warranty claims

Claims can be filed 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. The process is straightforward and easy to do. To request service from HMS Home Warranty:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone to speak directly to an HMS customer care representative.
    2. HMS will assign a service partner to your claim within two hours during normal business hours and 24 hours during weekends and holidays
    3. The service provider will schedule a convenient time for the repair.
    4. During the visit, the service provider will diagnose and suggest repair or replacement.
    5. You will pay your service call fee and the work will be completed.

HMS Home Warranty FAQ

When will coverage begin on an HMS Home Warranty?

For existing homeowners, there is a standard 30-day waiting period after a warranty is purchased. This is true of most home warranty providers in the industry. If you purchase a warranty for a home you’re selling, coverage begins immediately upon enrollment. For home buyers, coverage will begin on your closing date.

Is there a cancellation fee for HMS Home Warranty?

Yes, a $25 processing fee will apply. Homeowners and buyers can cancel their home warranty with a 10-day written notice. Seller Home Warranties are non-cancelable.

Will HMS Home Warranty cover my older systems and appliances?

Yes. There is no age restriction placed on covered items. HMS only requires that they be in working condition at the time of enrollment.

What is a homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement?

You can qualify for up to $500 per year when you pay a deductible on a homeowners insurance claim while an active HMS customer. The reimbursement opportunity is available on the Home Buyers plan, and claims must be reported to HMS within 45 days.

What is HMS’s lodging reimbursement?

HMS will reimburse you for lodging fees up to $1,200 should you have to stay in a hotel/motel in the event your heating or cooling system is non-operational for more than 24 hours from the time of the first service visit, or due to flooding in your home because of a water pipe break.

Is HMS Home Warranty worth it?

HMS Home Warranty offers good coverage for buyers, sellers and existing homeowners alike, with the most available coverage available to homebuyers. While coverage isn’t as comprehensive as others we’ve seen, it covers all essential systems and includes several benefits we haven’t seen anywhere else, like homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement and lodging reimbursement. With these added benefits plus the premier upgrade package, we think HMS has more than enough to offer any homeowner.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information