Call toll free
(888) 490-2015
2.82/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

2432 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I submitted a claim with HMS Home Warranty for my furnace and it went very well. I chose for their contractor to come out within three days and they were professional when they came for the service.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a house before and I had to replace the furnace and the water heater. As a single person, that was a lot to come up with, which made me decide to get a home warranty. My realtor picked HMS and I went with what she thought was best. HMS's reps have been very helpful and nice. They have been very patient with my explanation, since half of the time, I don’t know what I’m talking about. I like the that they know what they’re doing. They’ve been sending people that you would feel comfortable having around. They're not just sending anybody because they’ve got a license. The majority of the interactions with the contractors have been very friendly and helpful. And most of them have been very knowledgeable. There has been an older gentleman that has been in the business for a long time. They told me things so I would know what to expect. I've told others that when buying a home, they need to do HMS.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

HMS Home Warranty is a fine warranty company to go through and submitting a claim with them to have our refrigerator fixed went very smoothly. The company they found to fix the fridge did most of the work and their customer service was great. The repair guys that came out took care of everything. However, it didn't get fixed the first time. Instead of having to re-submit the claim, we contacted the repair company again and they came back, figured out what was wrong and ordered the part.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kala, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Thanks! – Austin

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

HMS Home Warranty was the only provider that covered HVAC particular to the industry and submitting a claim has been fairly straightforward once I took a couple of tries to understand the process. Now that I know how it is supposed to work, it runs very smoothly. I go online because it is very simple to place the claim and it is quick and easy. They would tell me who I need to follow-up within the span of time and I would also get the number for the contractor who is going to perform the work.

If it's an easy time of the year, the quickest you can get a contractor out is the next day but if it is weather related and something just randomly breaks, it can take a little longer. I had 9 out of 10 contractors who were very professional and courteous. They also listened to our complaints and suggested even if it was outside the scope of what we filed for. However, we had one contractor who was rude. My wife dealt with them and she said they were unhelpful and could not wait to get out of here. Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the contractors that HMS has sent. If you want a home warranty that’s easy to work with, I would recommend HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Leif, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Amanda

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I filed a claim for my heater on the 4th. They were not able to find a service partner for the claim and therefore not able to schedule service. DAYS later they call to say they can't find anyone. They told me I could find a HVAC company to take the work. I have a company come out and look. The company jumps through all the hoops for HMS. Now HMS doesn't like their quote and wants me to call ANOTHER company. Long story short. It's been 12 days in January waiting for my heater to get fixed. I have had to do all the leg work. I'm still waiting for callbacks from HVAC companies that I contacted. I think they want to drag it out until I just give up!

HMS Home Warranty response

Mark, I am disappointed to hear you are having such lengthy delays with your heating claim, and sincerely apologize for process to have your unit replaced. I have located your account and will be glad to have a member of my team investigate your claim and see if we are able to provide an alternate resolution at this time. Sincerely, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My hot water heater went Saturday night. Their first contractor said he received no information and was the RUDEST person I've ever talked to. The second is helping but after telling HMS I've had no hot water for 4 days now and a baby in the house. I needed their help. They low balled me to pay me a credit, and then I received a call telling me that the installation is basically not covered and there will be an additional $400+ I need to pay to complete the job. There are better companies out there.

HMS Home Warranty response

Todd, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are portions of a covered replacement that may not be covered. I have located your account and see that you are responsible for charges that is not covered by the policy. I regret you feel as if the policy may not be benefiting you. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I called HMS to file a claim and then they made arrangements. The contractor called fairly quickly. It was not an emergency and I let him know that. So when he had an open time he showed up. He did a good job. He explained something to me that I didn’t know, and I’m very pleased with what he did.

HMS Home Warranty response

Timothy, We are thrilled to hear that you’ve had an awesome warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for your loyalty, and thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

A gas leak was detected on the gas control valve to my water heater. I called HMS to make a claim. It took several days for them to get a contractor to my house. However instead of fixing the problem HMS told the contractor they could not fix the problem until a review and approval was done. So I start calling every day to move the process along. Meanwhile I have no hot water. If I didn't call I would not have known they needed the home inspection report. Then I send a ZIP file of the PDF file and it takes two more days to find out that they will not open the ZIP file. So then I send a PDF file and they will not confirm whether they received it or not. It has been nine days of cold showers in cold weather and I still don't have approval to fix the gas control valve. I believe they do this on purpose so people get frustrated and just fix it on their own. And that is what I'm doing now. The worst and most horrible experience.

HMS Home Warranty response

Alexander, I’m sorry to hear about the amount of effort you’ve put forth trying to resolve your water heater claim. I'd like to offer some assistance to ensure you have received the full benefit of your warranty Agreement. I have located your account and my team will give you a call personally. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

HMS Warranty and the service provider we were referred to gave us the absolute worst experience ever. This past summer our AC stopped working and we were referred to a local provider. They were approved to replace a coil in our unit and of course we had uncovered charges. The company required us to pay the uncovered charges upfront, which we didn't 100% agree with, however were desperate to have our AC fixed due to the weather so agreed to paying half. The service provider did not replace the coil correctly and left us without AC in the hottest weeks of the summer. Even though we were approved a new coil, they refused to come back and fix their mistake.

Working with HMS in that time frame was even worse. I would be on hold for hours at a time and no one was able or willing to help. After 2 weeks and my cries out on social media prompted them to finally approve us finding our own provider. During this time our 2 year old child and 2 dogs could not even sleep in our home it was too hot. In turn, we ended up needing a whole new unit which required again more uncovered charges. HMS had stated the original provider would return the money we gave them, they never need and HMS is unwilling to help. The only time they even returned a call recently was after a complaint I filed through BBB. HMS should be ashamed of themselves.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kristen, I see that you have spoken with a member of my team and she has spoken with you in regards to your Better Business Bureau complaint. Should you need further assistance, please respond with the best time to reach you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Our main floor heat has been down since before Christmas. 3 different HVAC contractors later and 6 total visits we are still without heat. Currently 26 degrees today outside and should be noted that we have 3 kids under the age of 5. The process has been completely mismanaged by HMS, they are not proactive to our needs, only reactive. They ordered the wrong parts recently and didn’t bother calling us to let us know or advise us when they would be received. I DO NOT blame this botched experience on the latest HVAC contractor, they have been extremely helpful and sympathetic to our lack of heat.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jon, I am sorry to hear about your experience, I assure you this is not the quality of service we aim to provide. We are reviewing your account and will give you a call as quickly as we can. Thank you for your continued patience. – Austin

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My sister in Atlanta had Home Warranty. I have had a good experience with their reps. When I get to speak to a person there, it's very positive. But sometimes, when I call, they'd tell me they'd call me back and I'd wait. Then I'd call again but get a different person and I'd have to go through with explaining the whole thing again. If there was some way you could get one representative to handle your claim all the way through, it would make things easier.

When I had an emergency with the heater and I called, it took them a while to get somebody to call me back. When I called back, they told me that they couldn't come out right away, but they had somebody. I waited and waited, then I called back. Through the automated machine, I found out that they had contacted someone. The interaction between the robo things does not cover your questions or your need for answers. When you always have to deal with the automated thing, you can't explain what you need.

The machine asked if I wanted to make the call through them. I did and it said that the company wasn't answering that call. I took the number, dialed myself and called them up. I made contact with the company that way. When they came out, they were very good. I was very pleased with what they did. The contractors were very good, professional, positive and they did a good job. I was pleased with that. I was also pleased with the company. I would recommend HMS Home Warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Rosemary, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Christine

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Early October 2018 our A/C service rep, provided by HMS finally agreed that our A/C needed to be replaced (after it had been limping along for months). Although it took a bit to get the new A/C in we were delighted that we were finally getting our old unit replaced. Well, it got replaced but it has a slow Freon leak (you read that right - a new A/C with a Freon leak). The service rep said the part required to fix would be ordered.

It is now January 13, 2019 and we are still waiting for the part. Service rep blames HMS, HMS blames service rep. I have called HMS numerous times and although I asked to speak to a manager I was told they are not allowed to talk to the customer. WHAT??? Who can I talk to about this. I can’t go online to address since there is not an established A/C rep for this area therefore I can website is worthless to me. I’ve called the A/C service rep several times and have had to leave messages. Still waiting for a callback. I have had an HMS warranty on both of my homes for many years. I’m a REALTOR and have recommended HMS to my customers. NO MORE!!!

HMS Home Warranty response

Pam, We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining proper service. My team would like to follow up with you personally to help resolve your claim. What’s the best time for us to call you? Thanks – Austin

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

It's always recommended that you have some type of coverage on your house for certain repairs. We understand that it can be costly but if you have a home warranty, you cut down on some of the labor and the parts. I've had a good experience with the HMS customer service in getting us an appointment in a reasonable amount of time. Mostly, it's fairly easy to submit a claim. We like quick action and we understand that online is easy to do but my husband likes to pick up the phone and do the claim there. But he knows both are available and it just depends on how much time is allotted.

The contractors HMS does business with are very professional as well. They are very skilled in their expertise. They come out in less than a week. It's a couple of days at most. If it's over the weekend, it would be about five days through the weekend. The last claim I filed was for our HVAC system. We had a problem with our system freezing up and when the contractor came out, they were able to state what they believed the problem was and offer the fix to the problem. The technician was very professional. They also asked us to monitor the system and things have been operating well since the repair.

HMS Home Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience Camille . We look forward to handling your future warranty needs. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I’ve been working with HMS for 10 years. I’m a title attorney and I usually recommend all my customers to have an HMS warranty. The contractor was here in two days after I called to make a claim. I just explained what was going on, and he did the work. Whoever is buying a second hand property must have the warranty. We cannot rely on the information of the agent or of the inspector. No. We shouldn’t rely on any of those information but we should rely on the home warranty. In this case, HMS did a great job.

HMS Home Warranty response

Hernan, We appreciate you sharing your experiences and are thrilled to hear that you have referred us. It is our pleasure to provide you with top-level customer service and efficient claim resolutions. We hope to continue to have you as our customer for many years to come. – Amanda

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Zero Stars - This company is a complete scam and refuses to pay out on a simple claim. Our furnace broke on 11/7/2018 and it took over a month to have a new one installed (despite freezing cold temperatures in the northeast). Since that time, we have been waiting for a claim reimbursement check that is "in the mail" and has been reissued multiple times. We have been informed our case has been turned over to the accounts payable department since Byron the case manager is inept. We have left multiple requests for either Byron or the accounts payable department to contact us, with no response from your company.

No one should EVER choose this company for their warranty coverage! I guess this is a perfect reflection of your Google reviews of 1.2 stars out of 5 with 108 reviews. I only saw one positive review. Yelp 135 reviews, one star none positive in 2018. Someone removed the reviews from Facebook. BBB rating of “B” anything less than A+ is terrible. I’m sure Mr. Incandela (CEO) and Mr. Stein (President) are proud their executive salaries.

HMS Home Warranty response

Randy, We are sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining your reimbursement. My team would like to follow up with you personally to help resolve your claim. What’s the best time for us to call you? Thanks – Austin

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We were given a year warranty when we purchased our house and HMS was the homeowner’s choice. I made a claim online and it was easy. I had somebody reach out to me within 48 hours. In two days, a contractor was able to get on the property which was a quick response time. He came in, he looked at the problem, figured it out, ordered the part, came back in about a week and installed it. He was experienced in what he did. For us and buying an older home, having a warranty is extremely valuable.

HMS Home Warranty response

Angela, Thank you for sharing your warranty experience. Providing efficient repairs and excellent customer service is our primary goal as your warranty company. Thank you for being such a loyal customer! Sincerely, Angela

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This warranty was purchased by the seller of my home. I wish I researched the reviews before accepting the warranty. I have tried to have my machine fixed for over a month. This company has allowed the service contractor to order parts after parts and service my washer 4 times in a month. To me it would be a red flag but of course all HMS cares about is the money they are saving. I’ve spent over $100 in the laundromat even when the contractor said he wasn’t able to fix the machine after the last time. They are still allowing them to order more parts that weren’t included in the initial problem listed.

As a customer who was going to continue the warranty in a few months when it’s up for renewal I have now have absolutely no confidence in this company or the representatives they allow to brush off concerns and the supervisor I spoke to that had the nastiest attitude I’ve ever encountered for a person in a position of authority. Please go with another company if you have the chance. I’m extremely disappointed, discussed and exhausted.

HMS Home Warranty response

Aisha, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the experience we aim to provide. I have located your account and my team will be reviewing and following up with you personally. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to turn this experience around. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I called HMS representative on first week of January 2019. They told me to get the service done by Go Appliance Technician, LLC. The technician came on January 4, 2019. He took pictures and provided me a copy of the work order. I paid him my deductible = 100 dollars. I went online and tried to get an update. Finally, I called HMS today at 1:25 pm. They told me that the refrigerator back panel is the structure and they do not cover. They cover mechanical failure. I do not understand their reason of denying. Without the structure, how the refrigerator works? If it is leaking, means there are some mechanical failure that is causing leaking and rusting. Anyway, I feel cheated of the warranty along with my deductible. I am not going to use HMS services again. I am very dissatisfied with their job performance. I could have bought the refrigerator with my deductible and the yearly service I paid to HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Saiful, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are components of a covered item that may not be covered. Records indicate that the back panel of your refrigerator is completely rusted and has holes that is leaking water and the inside cold air. I regret that you may feel as if the policy has not benefited you, however we have acted within the terms and conditions of your policy. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

HMS failed to be fair and try to remedy their unaccountable 4-day delay in ordering dishwashing parts after the contractor asked them. They didn't even apologize for their oversight. Instead they resorted to legalese and arguing over whether or not their delay was compensable under the contract. Oh brother. Now, our family must go at least another week without a dishwasher.

HMS Home Warranty response

Shana, I’m sorry for the amount of effort you’ve put forth trying to resolve your dishwasher claim. My team would like to help. Please respond to this message with your full property address and my team and call you personally to address your concerns. - Austin

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I filed my claims online with HMS Home Warranty and the technicians that they sent were nice and quick. They had to come back because they had to fix something but they sent someone else who was quick to fix it. I would recommend HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jacqueline,  It is our pleasure to give great customer service and offer stress-free repairs. Thank you for taking the time to share your claim experience with us. - Amanda

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I submitted a claim with HMS Home Warranty for our stove that was having a carbon monoxide issue. The rep that I dealt with worked with me and found me somebody right away. The repairman who was sent out called ahead, showed up on time, and was professional. He fixed the unit and everything was good. The unit has been working fine since.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Unscrupulous and deceitful in the disclosure of coverage. Promised service is not delivered and they intentionally mislead customers. My home had a gas leak and I called our natural gas provider who came out, detected the leak, and shut off our gas (and with it our heat in January) for safety reasons. I contacted HMS since we have a home warranty with them on the 4th of January 2019. They sent out a contractor to whom I paid a $50 deductible. The contractor said that my gas leak was outside his area of experience and that he would place the order with HMS and they would have another contractor out (and another $50 deductible) to diagnose and repair the gas leak.

HMS stated that the repair was within our warranty and that they would contact another contractor who would come address the gas leak. I explained to HMS that I have a son with Down's Syndrome and an infant child in the home and HMS assured me that a resolution would come quickly and that they have escalated my claim since there was a medical condition involved.

They were unable to secure a contractor since all of the contractors in my area have had issues receiving payment after doing work for HMS in the past. I spoke to 7 (yes, 7, I counted) contractors, all of whom told me the same thing: HMS will order the work and then claim the repair was not within their warranty, not pay the contractor, then charge me thousands of dollars for the work. Finally, after over an hour on the phone with HMS, repeatedly asking to speak with supervisors, getting the run around, I was finally connected with Cherise. Cherise told me that HMS will be mailing me a check for $250 with which I was to pay for the repair and any money outside of that $250 would be reimbursed to the contractor directly.

I had Cherise read the section of the warranty (section 3, 'covered items', #2, 'heating system') that spelled out what the warranty covered and how the repair would proceed. That was the point where the contract EXPLICITLY stated that gas lines were not covered. HMS was planning on charging me two $50 deductibles, stiffing an HVAC/plumbing contractor, then charging me for something NOT covered by their warranty. No wonder why they couldn't find a contractor to take the job. Their business practices are reprehensible and so disgustingly dishonest. I wish there was more I could do to warn sellers who purchase their warranty and the buyers who think that this company will actually do anything to benefit them if they were in a situation and needed to utilize their home warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Michael, We’re sorry to hear that the warranty did not meet your needs. The experience you described does not reflect the level of service we aim to provide for our customers. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure it is provided to the appropriate parties for review. If you’d like to discuss your concerns with us directly, please provide us the best time to contact you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

HMS would not allow the HVAC company that it dispatched to my home to use its own supplier to order a part for my furnace. To save money, HMS insisted on ordering and supplying the HVAC company with the part from its supplier. Had the HVAC company been allowed to use its own supplier, my heat would have been restored within 48 hours of their diagnostic visit. Instead, it took OVER A WEEK for the HVAC company to receive the part. I live in Ohio and lost my heat December 30th. It could have been restored January 2nd. Today is January 10th and I STILL do not have heat. Fortunately, the HVAC company informed me that they'll have the part today... only because they agreed to go pick it up instead of waiting on the shipment to arrive. The HVAC company was very apologetic, as owner knew how cold it was.

I repeatedly asked HMS for an exception given the frigid temperatures and having children in the home. The apathetic customer service reps refused my request for a refund and informed me they are not responsible for parts delays. This is my fourth home and second home warranty company. I have never had an experience this degrading and frustrating before. Profits are apparently more important than assisting customers, especially in extenuating circumstances.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I submit claims to HMS over the phone. I tell them the problem and they tell me if it is covered or not. They'd give me a name of a guy or a company, and I'd call them. And if I couldn't get them, I'd call back. My interactions with the reps have been fine but if HMS could somehow get someone to answer the phone faster, even a real person, that would be great. I know everything is computerized, but trying to get ahold of them could be a pain in the butt. You call them up and you get recordings. Once, it took me 20 minutes and a lot of frustration. Still, HMS has been very good. We pay the deductible, and the people that they've sent out have been fairly good. One of them, the plumber, was really good. Just be prepared to wait to try and get somebody on the phone when you call to submit the claim. I'm happy with HMS. I'll use them again when the warranty runs out and I would also tell my friends to use them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Howard, Thank you for taking the time to share. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. We are working daily to improve all processes, and ensure our customer's receive the full benefit of their warranty. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Sincerely, Christine

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Please don’t waste your money. I filed a claim for a leaking bathtub drain on January 7th. A “technician” came out, took $100, and said he had to get authorization to open the ceiling. No one contacted me again. After multiple calls to service provider & warranty company where I was repeatedly told it would be authorized, I was told that I have to hire someone to open the ceiling and then they’d look for the leak. I said forget it. I want my $100 back. They said I couldn’t have it. I paid $100 for absolutely nothing. This company is a scam.

HMS Home Warranty response

Maria, I understand your frustration with having paid your deductible with no resolution. In this instance, access must be made for the problem to be diagnosed. Your warranty only addresses accessible plumbing. If you would like to make it accessible to the technician we can get a diagnosis and possibly cover your claim. If you’d like for us to review your claim and follow up with you, please respond with your full property address and we will reach out to you directly. - Austin

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

This place is a complete joke, and I'm wondering if it's actually just a scam altogether. My real estate agent recommended it and worked it into our purchase of our home. We had a pipe break in our basement and called Laney's to come repair it. We ended up spending over 2 hours on the phone with HMS to get them to cover it and let the plumber fix the pipe. After that, we got a bill from Laney's - HMS hadn't paid their bill.

Now we have an issue where our furnace has a HOLE IN IT and has been condemned. The serviceman said it could open and leak Carbon Monoxide into our home at any time. We have dogs and a baby. HMS has declined our claim THREE times, each time stating bogus reasons that are untrue. And the best part? Before they denied it, they tried to find a company that would work with them in our city of 300,000 people and could NOT find ONE company that would agree to do it. They ended up agreeing to go with the company that inspected it (Laney's) because they've burned all their bridges not paying companies. I am considering litigation as my next step because this company is bogus. If carbon monoxide leaks into my home, this is going to be a huge deal.

HMS Home Warranty response

Heather, I’m sorry to hear about the amount of effort you’ve put forth trying to resolve your claims. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items/conditions which may not be covered. To ensure you have received the full benefit of your warranty, my team will complete a thorough review of your claim and follow up with you personally. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought the HMS Premier plan on Dec 14, 2018. After I bought it while buying my townhome, the air handler of heating system stopped working. Submitted claim and all document by Dec 26 (CLAIM #: **), and after 12 days still the system hasn't been fixed. It is very disappointing, in spite of paying $618 for warranty, I have to live without heat during winter. THIS IS VERY UNETHICAL TO HOLD ON TO THE CLAIM for heating system in the winter (which is emergency service)--my family is suffering a lot for this poor and incompetent claim processing and customer service. I chose HMS hoping to get the best service, however, the claim processing is highly questionable as the company tries to first reject a legitimate claim. Suggest other potential customers keep this poor customer service issue in mind while considering buying HMS warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

SANTADARSHAN, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I have reviewed your claim and see that a member of my team has already spoken with you and will remain in contact with you until your claim has been completed. Thank you for your patience. - Austin

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

HMS is awesome. Submitting claims online on my smartphone is easy, and a contractor usually comes out within 24 hours. The contractors have been great and my interactions with them have been good. I recently had HMS service the garage door opener. The contractor replaced the sensors and now the garage door opens when it's supposed to. I'd tell others to get HMS.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Recently had a outside waterline that failed on my property, good thing I purchased outside waterline coverage and the Premier Upgrade Package (So I thought). Called into HMS to get a claim started. Not only were they assuring they would get someone out after verifying I had coverage they assured all I had to pay was my 100 dollar deductible. Contractor shows up, takes my 100 dollar deductible and says they'll get back to me. A week goes by I hear nothing, so I call HMS. They say contractor denied my claim. I respond with, "He just showed up to my door and asked for deductible and didn't bother with anything else regarding my claim."

After two months of me calling in and explaining how this is not only a bad business model but this contractor literally came out, collected 100 bucks and left how is that fair, they (Megan) continued with, "These our qualified professionals so they wouldn't do this." I asked, "Did this professional give you a reason why?" The representative responds with, "Yes, contractor says your underground water lines pipe is all good" - meanwhile my front yard to the curb continues to flood all while I wait. It got to the point neighbors complained to the city due to the water that spewed into the streets and surrounding yards.

After going back and forth on my coverage with HMS about outside waterline coverage they finally realized I was covered (which I knew because I bought the coverage) and the problem was not going to away. I guess they sell the coverage in hopes of no one actually using it and if they do we'll work our way out of it so they thought. Finally a contractor which I had do the work fixed the issue and HMS agreed to reimburse me so they said. Sent in all invoices, scope of work, proof of payment, all the things they requested which I can only do via email to SupportServices@crosscountry-home.com. No hope of speaking on the phone with an agent to walk you through this.

After almost a year I get a case manager regarding my reimbursement. Remind you, they have contractor invoice - Proof of Payment - itemized break down of parts used - report on water line failure. They have all this which they request. After being told that they now are not going to cover they come back with, "Well we can recover 800 for the part of the pipe that was fixed." I reply with, "Where in the invoice does it say part of the pipe was 800?" They then tell me, "It doesn't. This is just what we have decided to pay." The 39 ft pipe which in my warranty states is covered up to 500ft cost 5000 to repair.

After I demand a detailed explanation and finally get one after a 3 hour phone call common sense comes into HMS's realty, Chris an agent I spoke seen what I sent in from the repair and the contractor makes sense with what my coverage is suppose to cover. Finally the BS stops and I am promised a reimbursement I have yet to receive. I am now 1 year 2 months and 3 hours into this whole ordeal. Trust me, you will have to fight hard to get to case management and even then a fight. NOTE THEY HAVE 3 Business Names HMS Home Warranty, Cross Country and Homesure of America, Inc. Buyer beware!

HMS Home Warranty response

Jay, I’m sorry to hear of the problems you experienced obtaining your reimbursement. We aim for a clear and efficient claim process, but it seems we missed our objective. I have located your account and will have my team reach out as soon as we can. I thank you for allowing us another opportunity to address your concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We were a customer for approximately 3 years. Up until two months ago we were pleased with the service we received from HMS. Unfortunately, recent service failures left us completely frustrated with both HMS (Cross Country) and their horrible service partner, Sears. We called in 2 months ago for a simple dishwasher repair. Since that time the utter failures have almost become comical, and have given the appearance that both HMS and Sears are completely incompetent organizations. The chain of events are as follows: Service Tech #1 showed up and advised, despite the fact that the unit had been leaking, that there was nothing wrong. We spent approximately 4 hours that day relative to this service call.

We called to inform HMS that the dishwasher was still leaking. Sears and HMS repeatedly passed me back and forth in regards to who needed to handle, and schedule, the follow-up visit. Additionally, Sears was insistent that we needed to pay another deductible. Service Tech #2 showed up and diagnosed an issue, that Tech #1 completely missed, and ordered a part. We spent approximately 4 hours that day relative to this service call. Service Tech #3 showed up and determined that Service Tech #2 misdiagnosed the problem and ordered the wrong part. Service Tech #3 ordered a different part. We spent approximately 4 hours that day relative to this service call.

Appointment #4 was canceled w/o reason and we’re rescheduled for 2 weeks later. Appointment #5 was canceled 40 minutes AFTER the 4-hour window we were given. We spent approximately 4 hours that day relative to this service call. We sat at home from 1-5 only to find out at 5:40 that Sears was, again, not coming. Service Tech #4 shows up and discovers that the wrong part has been ordered FOR THE SECOND TIME. We spent approximately 4 hours that day relative to this service call. Appointments 5, 6 and 7 have all been canceled and we're still waiting. Despite 20+ calls to HMS and Sears nothing is being done. We canceled our HMS warranty, to which their only response was sending us an early cancellation invoice. I've also filed a complaint with the BBB against both HMS and Sears.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jordan, I apologize for the amount of effort you’ve put forth trying to resolve your claim. Please know, this is not the experience we aim to provide. Our records indicate that a member of our team is already working on your claim regarding the information you previously submitted and she will be in contact with you once her review is completed. We appreciate your patience. – Austin

HMS Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

HMS Home Warranty, a member of Cross Country Home Services, has been providing home warranties for more than 30 years in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. The company has special tools to help real estate agents who must manage multiple home warranties.

• Service providers: HMS has a network of more than 40,000 service professionals throughout its coverage area. The company screens providers to make sure they have the appropriate licenses and insurance for their state.

• Claims hours: Home warranty customers can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even on holidays, by calling the company or logging on to their online account.

• Instant coverage for sellers: Home sellers who sign up for the warranty receive immediate coverage, pay at closing in most states and have 180 days of coverage with an optional extension if the home is still listed with a real estate agent.

• Emergency lodging reimbursement: Homeowners whose HVAC system is non-operational for more the 24 hours after they make a service call and those who experience a waterline break that isn’t fixed within 24 hours can receive reimbursement for hotel lodging for the days they must be out of their home.

• Marketopedia: Real estate professionals will appreciate HMS’s Marketopedia tool. The cloud-based service allows real estate agents to manage all aspects of the HMS warranties for homes they’re selling. It also features marketing tools to help them grow their businesses.

• Best for: real estate agents, first-time homebuyers, home sellers and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information