3.94/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

HMS Home Warranty

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

1446 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I paid extra for outside water line coverage. How convenient that none of the reps when asking about this coverage mentioned that the warranty company ONLY pays for the repair (minuscule cost, maybe $100) compared to the cost to GET to the line. They do NOT pay for excavating, which costs upwards of $1300. Nowhere in their agreement under the Outdoor Water Line coverage does it state they do not pay for the digging and the labor. It simply says they cover up to 2k for the service. Absolutely absurd. Why even offer outdoor water line coverage?! A warning to any of you seeking coverage for your lines! Waste of money to choose this deceitful company. They'll find a way to not cover any of your issues but be happy to take your money every month.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I like HMS Home Warranty and they've helped me. I bought a 1904 home in 2016 and it had been renovated but I felt that the appliances might go out. Until I really knew my home in a detailed way, I thought it would be good to have a home warranty. And it was. There were things that the home inspection didn't catch. Something in my refrigerator went out that would have cost me three or four times with the warranty cost and my dishwasher also wasn't working right. There were also some plumbing issues.

Submitting a claim to HMS is really easy and they are very prompt. Their representatives are very friendly for the most part. I call them up and tell what the problem is. Then they give a name and number of the service provider. The contractors usually come within 24 hours, I pay $100 deductible and then they fix the problem. I've been very pleased with the warranty. I've renewed it for the second year and I bought extra protection which would cover things like repair of the wall when they do plumbing. They're pleasant and I definitely would continue to use the service.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I’m a new homeowner & this warranty was provided by the seller. The first claim I filed was due to leaking washer valve. The first provider they dispatched was a person who eventually told me, after multiple attempts to make an appointment, that he would get to me when he could get to me & there was no guarantee my problem could even be fixed. I cancelled the claim & had someone else come out & it was nothing major at all. It was a quick fix. I went thru days of playing a chase game with this person for nothing.

Just filed a second claim due to furnace cycling too frequently. A provider came out today & barely looked at the furnace & said it’s oversized for the house. He didn’t even take anything apart & look! Told me I should sell it for $1500 & get the heating & A/C replaced for about $6k. All he wanted to know was if I was paying by cash or check. I clocked his time here & it was for about 30-40 minutes. Just had someone else out here & was told it’s not oversized at all & is correct for this size house. All it was, is that it was dirty! Too bad the other guy just stole my money!

That unit is only a few years old & I find it crazy that the prior owner would have not contacted Goodman with the warranty they had & instead pay thousands of dollars in utilities unnecessarily. WHAT A JOKE!!! I’ll never call this place again! This is a crime! AND why are the names of these providers strange sounding & get 3 stars or less? AND show up in a personal vehicle?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I had HMS before and then I got them again. I submitted a claim via phone with HMS. It was a long wait time and there were a lot of prompts. I had to go through every single prompt and retell them all my security information about five times. I went to automation so I had to type my information about my last name, billing address and updated cell phone number to make sure the best contact information is what they asked. I saved it and verified. Then they switched me to another department and I had to do the same exact thing. But I got switched again and had to do the same thing again. It took a while but the lady who I finally spoke with was great. The tech came out after a couple of days. He did a great job and he fixed my issue. Still, everything went well.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I've filed a claim online with HMS Home Warranty and it's very easy. I've also done it on the phone and it's very easy too. It works seamlessly. I've had a great experience with all the techs who've come except for one and HMS replaced that one with a new contractor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called HMS Home Warranty to file a claim and I thought it was going to be one of those warranty places that you have to get the runaround, but it was very easy. I gave them the claim number and everything progressed at a fast pace. The HMS rep originally set up a repair service and said that they would be contacting me. I didn't get a call right away, so I called back and they had me on the line while they contacted the repair service. They found out that the contractor didn't service our area so then they got another service company.

Majestic Appliances is awesome. They were very friendly and went above and beyond what I expected. They set up the appointment, called a day prior to check if they were still on schedule, and then they called to give me a two-hour window. The tech was here within the half hour of that window. He was very professional and knew exactly what he was doing. I was asking some questions about our washer and he took it apart, explained what he thought was the problem and pointed it out to me.

He went back to the company and explained that it was going to be too costly to repair. HMS ended up giving me a new appliance because it was cheaper to do it that way. They handled contacting the new appliance company, the delivery, and then the contractor came back and re-installed everything. It was a very positive experience. I would refer HMS or the appliance repair company to anybody. I was very surprised and felt good about having the policy for our second home.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

First off, the "company" that they sent out to look at our AC unit said that it was "so old he can't read the VIN and we are going to need another unit". Then once I called the company to tell them it was from 2007 and the "company" they sent out was not reputable and very unprofessional they sent out another company that didn't actually come out because he didn't service our area. Weeks go by and I am finally able to schedule with my own company and I am still waiting for permission to have them complete the work so I will get reimbursed. I have had this claim open since July and nobody will call me back - very unsatisfied, just want to get this fixed and this company is in the way of anything productive.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We were buying a new house that was being sold as part of an estate. We bought that house and we paid for it as the buyer. Then when we were selling our house, we thought that having an insurance in place for the buyer would make it more attractive. We have submitted a claim with HMS and they were amazing. They were timely, helpful, worked with reliable vendors and did a good job. Even our neighbor in the condo area that we bought was also very impressed with how it all worked when they had a claim under their policy and got a new refrigerator. We clearly understood everything and we might continue in the long-term if we can. I've been in the property and casualty insurance industry for 35 years, and HMS Home Warranty is outstanding. Anybody who's selling a house needs to get them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The HMS Home Warranty was wrapped in our house when we bought it four months ago. It was very easy to submit a claim and they fixed the dishwasher when there was something wrong with it. So far, I had a very good experience and I recommend HMS Home Warranty.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I've had HMS Home Warranty on a rental property since 2005 and I don't have any problems with submitting a claim. I usually go online but when I call, their reps have been very good. The only problem is that no contractor wants to come out on a weekend so a lot of times our tenants have to rearrange their schedule. Last Christmas, I was out of town and something happened with the heat. They gave me a number to call but that person wasn't able to come out for a couple of days so I called HMS back and they were able to give me somebody else who was able to come out that day. It was late but they took care of my tenant and I appreciated it. HMS has been pleasant.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My husband and I just purchased a house with a home warranty through HMS Home warranty... Within 3 days the AC unit stopped working, after filing a claim we were told that it was a pre-existing problem and they would not cover anything! During our time to get answers to why I was hung up on 3 times after waiting on hold for more than 45 minutes. Very rude and disrespectful!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

We spend weeks - sometimes months - awaiting reimbursement for claims. They blame everything from service providers - whom they select and deploy - to the infamous "problem with our system" excuse. It's anything and everything besides their complete indifference and ineptitude. Can't wait to finish our contract with this company and find a new provider.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have had several claims with HMS that has went well, until now. Our refrigerator/freezer started to thaw out and water running out the bottom onto the hardwood kitchen floor. I call and made automated appointment the soonest the system offered was almost a month out. I called back and spoke to a customer service representative and explain to the representative about month-long wait. At that point she said she could get someone on the way the next day. The tech showed up. Same guy who fixed our microwave a few months back. Well at least I thought I was going to get the refrigerator repaired. The tech said refrigerators compressor is no longer available and he would let HMS know so they could get them to try and locate a part or replace the refrigerator.

I got a call from HMS about the service I received. I explained to the representative that I was waiting to find out something and I was informed no report from the tech was submitted. I explained to HMS rep that had a sick child that took medication that needed to be kept cold and at this point all of our food was in coolers and we had already thrown away a lot of stuff. I was informed that the claim would be elevated. I hear nothing for another day so I call back to HMS and the tech still hasn't submitted his report and I was told that it wouldn't be looked into until Monday which is 3 days away. Not sure how long you are supposed to wait for your refrigerator to get fixed, but I'm not satisfied with how this has been handled little to no communicate unless I did the work. I want my refrigerator fixed or replaced like my home owner policy states.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have not yet received the so-called Welcome Package or the contract despite multiple requests. I have a current AC claim in and either HMS does not keep accurate records or their contracted service provider is not being straight with me. In any case I still have no AC. According to the service provider the AC unit is not repairable and he submitted to HMS to replace on the morning of 9/28.

Yet when I called HMS tonight to check on the status your telephone representative indicated that there was no record of the service provider request/spec to replace, and she indicated that there was nothing she could do. So what is going on? And still I have no AC. And not even a copy of the contract or Welcome Package promised to me. And your website apparently does not have a Claim Status function, at least none I could find. Very disappointed and frustrated. I have reached back out to your service provider and am waiting to hear back. Not sure how long that will take and still no AC in the meantime.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

HMS Home Warranty had a no line ticketing system. I put the ticket in their system online. Then the representative called to inform me of who the local provider was going to be and that they would handle the call out from there. He's very clear, straightforward, and professional. Plus, he told me everything I needed to know, like what day the providers were available, how much the call out would cost, and which was just the deductible. Any questions I had, he answered and I understood everything that was going to happen perfectly.

I had an air-conditioning issue. I found it on a Friday morning and I reported it that same morning, but they didn't have anyone available till Monday. However, as soon as a spot became available they moved the appointment. They went out of their way to make it happen so it got it fixed earlier than scheduled. The technician was very polite and hardworking. He came in, went straight to work, found out what the problem was, and didn't stop until he finished the job. They asked for a couple of things, like buckets, that helped to get the job done faster. The payment was straightforward as well. I feel very comfortable that I'm in good hands and the situation will be handled very quickly and professionally. I'm very pleased with it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

We specifically added our septic system and pool to the home warranty coverage when we purchased our home. We have had two claims with them - the first claim was paid to the wrong address and the check was not received for over 3 months. The second was refused payment because they didn't honor the payments that were authorized before the services were provided. I am still stuck in limbo for the second claim. I was considering renewing this policy and the pain that has been involved with just two claims is beyond anything that I would expect. It is nothing but a run-around. I now understand why many realtors I have dealt with tell customers they are nothing but a headache!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I have had the most awful experience with this company. Nobody in customer service knows what they are talking about. I was lied to twice then told "sorry we don't know why two different employees told you that." Terrible business practices overall. So angry I can't even review this the way I would like to. Completely disappointed and would never ever recommend their services to even my worst enemy. Even if I was on my death bed and recommending them could save me I still wouldn't. I hope they get their act together or go out of business so nobody has to deal with the complete incompetence that I have dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

After retiring purchased a nice home with high-end appliances. During closing on home we were asked if we would be interested in a home warranty, we agreed stating only if the appliances were covered. After a few months one of our beverage center/wine fridges would not stop running. I called HMS, took 2+ weeks for appointment, no big deal. When their repairman showed he stated he is not allowed to work on Viking appliances, again no biggie. I called HMS, they gave me written approval to find my own licensed and insured repair company, which I did.

When company called HMS for authorization they declined as it is not in primary kitchen, all 3 of my refrigerators are in main kitchen. Then they declined due to me taking to repair shop on my own. When I called repair shop they said being it is not full size I could save about $80 if I delivered to them for diagnosis, this would save both HMS and myself $$. Now I sit and wait for callback that I am sure I will not get from HMS and will call them again to follow up. The folks I did speak with on the phone were very polite and as helpful as they could be, but that doesn't get my refrigerator repaired.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

HMS was spoken of in high regard as being reliable and reasonable which I agree with now that it’s been about three years. I use the telephone in submitting a claim and the response seems to be immediate. We started out with calling and we've continued on. Their reps are knowledgeable. I’m generally the one who makes the call and interact with the technicians or the repairmen when they arrived. They’ve all been courteous and timely which I find important.

If they say from 8 to 12, they’ll always call before they arrive when they’re en route. They generally lean towards the earlier part of the range that they did, like closer to 8 than to 12 so there isn’t a long wait. I’m pleased with their response. The work done has always been okay too. We've only had reason to question one action and they came back and they took care of that. I find HMS to be professional and so have their technicians been. They seem to do the best that they can. I would recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The seller bought HMS warranty to go with the house we purchased. It was nice to have HMS when the air-conditioning went out. Submitting a claim was pretty straightforward. I called, left them a message and they called me back the next day. The technician was great and he fixed the problem.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I was pleased with the other company I had in Tennessee and when we purchased this home, they told us about HMS and also said that they operated the same way. Submitting a claim with HMS was okay. They gave us the number of the company that they were going to use for a particular repair, but they never call in or fax them any information. It was up to me to call them. The contractors were very nice, on time and very courteous. And they did a good job because what they repaired stayed working. It was a pleasant experience and it's always good to know you have somebody that can be sent and called, particularly when you're in a new area and you're not familiar with servicemen. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

HMS Home Warranty came with the house I bought. I’ve submitted 6 claims and aside from the miscommunication on one of the claims, I have not had any problem. I had very good feedback and services were done in a timely manner. I also haven’t had any problems with any of the techs or companies that are affiliated with HMS. They're good and everything’s still functioning. Overall, they are an excellent choice and I’m glad I’ve had HMS for over the past year.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

HMS Home Warranty came with the home we bought last year. I re-upped the warranty in July. The claims process is more automated now so it's not as easy to get a hold of someone in person. There are a couple of drop-down options and they dumbed it down for me mercifully. I understand the whole automation process and emailing that it automatically generates the ticket, although it is nice to be able to talk to a person. The quality of service was still fine though with the two times I’ve dealt with them. It's been very efficient and the problems were resolved very quickly.

The first claim was for the shower that wasn’t working properly in a spare bathroom. I spoke with a representative on that case and they were professional and easy to work with. The second claim was for the air conditioner unit. The technicians were here 10-15 minutes in both cases. Both contractors showed up within the time frame that they had given to me beforehand. The plumber took care of things, was straightforward and honest. A couple of guys came for the AC. They were professional and tried a bit of upselling for some additional stuff but they weren't pushy in any way. I passed on the additional services they were offering but they knocked it out very quickly. The bathroom and AC unit had been fine since the repair. I’ve had a positive experience with HMS Home Warranty.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I've had a home warranty with HMS Home Warranty for the last 3 years with no claims against my warranty. As of 8 days ago, our air went out and HMS Home Warranty refuses to resolve, make a decision or engage with us to move our claim forward. Customer service has been horrendous and the lack of response by management completely unacceptable. All I want is what I paid for...warranty coverage which means a resolution to current warranty claim. Nothing more. Nothing less. I do not recommend HMS as a home warranty service and will go elsewhere in 2018.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

My appliances are starting to get old and I wanted to get a warranty to maintain them properly. HMS Home Warranty allowed me more flexibility. Their claims representatives are friendly, but sometimes, they don’t have service people. I submitted a claim this morning and their service person hasn’t called back. Also, there have been times where they didn’t have a service person at all. But overall, HMS usually gives a good piece of service.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

HMS is an outstanding company. It has helped me for over 30 years and when I had a problem, they fixed it. The representatives are very thorough, friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable and the follow through was excellent. The technicians were all fine. I told them to teach me something and they all did. I would highly recommend their service to my children and all my colleagues who are buying a new house. However, I wish they would have a service that only covers the inside appliances since I'm moving to a condo and it covers all my electrical and plumbing.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I've been in real estate for 30 years or longer and I'm familiar with HMS. When I bought my home, it was a resale and they provided the first-year warranty. It was HMS, and I just renewed it. I've submitted a claim twice and it was easy. Once was for the garage door opener and they came out and fixed it. Then, the other really ended up being nothing. It was about my heating and air conditioning. I was getting condensation around vents and they explained that it was in the basement and I needed to leave them open and not shut. Their reps were efficient and I've been pleased with them, and that's why I renewed with them.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I’ve had HMS Home Warranty for a couple of years and submitting a claim to them is very easy. They are open 24 hours and you can call them any day or night. I normally submit a claim on the phone, and whether you talk to a person or automation, they will give you a claim number and a number to call for whatever services you need. They are very professional and they get the job done. It's been great and I’ve no complaints at all. My daughter is getting ready to buy a house next year, and I'm telling her to get HMS. I highly recommend them to anybody that would ask me.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

When I bought my house, it came with HMS Home Warranty. I felt they were doing a good job so I stuck with them. In my last claim to them, I requested a particular vendor in my last claim and it took a few days but the process was easy. Their reps were very nice and they called 24/7 Home to do the service. The technician let me know that he was coming late. The guy was nice and helpful. He explained everything and went above and beyond to take care of my problem. He followed up and I was really pleased. I got a really fair pricing too. It ended up being that the water sewer pipe leaving from my house to the county line was broken in one spot. On our unofficial homeowner’s association page, people were complaining about how much it cost. But in my case, 24/7 Home did a fabulous job and I paid less than half of what most other people were charged.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Horrible customer service! I have been asking for days to find out what is covered, what they are doing, and what brand name AC unit they are going to put in my house. It seems that the mechanic who was out to look at the job, used the word modify, which makes my ductwork, all of the sudden, not covered, forcing me to spend over $900 out of pocket. Repeated calls for a supervisor, or someone who knows about HVAC to talk to me, have never been returned. This has been going on for over a week now. The mechanic was nice, but seems to be doing it differently from what other companies have told me, how they would do it. I'm just glad that it's not too terribly hot right now, but it looks like, by the time they have a supervisor call me, it will be summer!

HMS Home Warranty Company Information