3.31/5
Based on 1,136 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

HMS offers plans for all stages of home ownership. While there are some limitations in standard coverage, all essential items are covered, and a variety of add-on options are available to customize your plan.

PROS

• Customizable coverage for buyers
  • Emergency lodging reimbursement
  • No waiting period for sellers
  • Plans for all real estate stages

CONS

• High deductible
  • Full coverage subject to add-on fees

Top HMS Home Warranty Reviews

01/26/2019

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. [The plumber] assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them...

03/08/2019

I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked.

HMS Home Warranty plans

Buying a home can be intimidating, but a home warranty can give you peace of mind and reduce the cost of expensive repairs or replacements. HMS Home Warranty offers plans that cover all of the major systems in your home, from plumbing and electrical to the HVAC system.

HMS offers plans to customers nationwide through more than 40,000 local service representatives and offers 24/7 customer service. HMS offers the following types of warranty plans:

• Seller: Designed for someone selling a home that wants coverage while the home is on the market. Covers major appliances and systems.
  • Buyer Conversion: Begins with the seller while the home is on the market, then is transferred to the buyer once the home is purchased.
  • Buyer Direct: Can be purchased by a home buyer at the time of closing. HMS offers advanced coverage only available for buyer plans.
  • New Home: Coverage begins one year after the sale closes, which is typically when a builder’s warranty would expire.
  • Open Direct: This plan is for existing homeowners. Anyone can purchase this type of plan at any time. Becomes effective 30 days after the plan is purchased.

HMS Home Warranty cost

The average cost for an HMS Home Warranty is around $40–$50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. Their service call fee, the amount you’ll pay for a technician to come to your home (also known as a deductible) varies by region.. The Premier Upgrade Plan is available for an additional $89 of $99 each year, depending on where you live.

Because prices vary by location and plan selected, to get an accurate quote for your home, you’ll need to request a quote directly from HMS.

PlanStarting Monthly Cost
Buyer$37 ($449/year)
Seller$32 ($449/year)
New Home$46 ($549/year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

HMS Home Warranty coverage

HMS covers a good selection of home systems and appliances. Coverage availability may differ slightly between warranty plans, with homebuyers having the widest selection of coverage options.

All HMS Warranty plans cover:

• Kitchen appliances
  • Jetted tub
  • Sump pump
  • Water heater

Air conditioning, washer and dryer may also be covered depending on your location.

*Additional fee applies on seller plans

Optional coverage for home buyers:

• Outside gas lines
  • Outside sewer and water lines
  • Pools/spas
  • Septic tanks
  • Water softeners
  • Well pump systems

*Add-on prices range from $40-205 per item.

Premier Upgrade Package:
When purchased, the Premier Upgrade Package (PUP) will provide buyers with up to $1,000 of coverage for non-covered charges associated with a covered repair or replacement. It provides coverage for items not typically included in home warranty contracts like duct, electrical and plumbing modifications, code upgrades and permits.

2968 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased HMS Home Warranty the first time in 1995 and I have had them ever since in different areas of the United States. Our recent claim to them was for the stove and the heater which were at the same time. HMS sent out Sears to repair our stove. The oven wasn’t working and the part that went out was no longer available so it took almost a month to get my stove fixed. What was really sad was that the stove is not that old, but the part wasn’t available. So, they had to come back, take the part off and then ship it out and have it repaired. It worked fine though. The repairman was Jo-jo and he was absolutely wonderful and the greatest person that Sears’s could have sent out. He was caring about the wooden floors and about making sure he didn’t make a mess anywhere. It was a 5-star experience all the way through.

On the other hand, the repair person that they sent out for the heater was absolutely a nightmare. We had problems from the beginning with him just not following up and not saying what he was gonna do. He came out, looked at the heater and said it needed three parts. He got the okay from HMS to get the parts and put them on but it was almost impossible to get him to come back and to answer his phone or give us a straight answer. When he finally came back out, the most he brought in was one screwdriver to work on the unit and there were no parts. He came in, went downstairs, started looking at the unit again and said the unit was really rusty and bad. He also said that the whole unit was shot and that we were lucky we were not getting carbon monoxide poisoning because the unit was in such bad shape. So, he said he would have to turn off the gas to the unit.

I asked him to show me where the rust that he was talking about was. From what he showed me, the rust in the unit was like a penny size and I could have taken a Brillo pad and lightly remove the rust. He then turned everything off and asked us if we had a Shark vac and we said no. He went to his truck and got a Shark vac and vacuumed up the little water that they had that took between 20 and 30 minutes. Then, he left and sent HMS a report saying that we needed a whole new unit. I kept on texting him back the next day to see if he got an answer and when he was coming back. Before he left my house on a Thursday, he would have the unit for Saturday and he would come around Saturday noon to replace it.

Once he did that, I started texting him on Friday to see if he got the okay and he told me that he’d call me back as he was online with the company. Four hours later, I never got a return call. I texted him back and called him many times but I never got an answer. So, I called the warranty company on Saturday at around 4 o’clock in the morning. I didn’t feel comfortable with him because I felt like he was ripping us and HMS off. At the same time that I’m calling HMS, my husband decided to do research on the guy and he found out that there were people that were trying to get his physical address so they can send out warrants for his arrest because he defrauded them out of so much money.

Apparently, the repair guy had another company named a different name. There were really bad reviews and even one of the reviews was someone that had the same warranty company as HMS. At first, when we told the rep that we found the guy within seconds on the internet with so many bad reviews, we were told that they didn’t go by what was reviewed on there until I told them that HMS was coming up and the kind of experience this person had. The review was a very ugly one and how the person would never use them again.

The girl that I talked to at 4:00 in the morning said that nobody was available and that she'd have someone call me back after 8:00. Then, someone called me back after 8:00 and I told her that I really wasn’t comfortable with the repair person coming back into my house and we would prefer somebody else. I was told that I couldn't just stop in the middle of everything. I asked her who will be responsible if the repair person comes back and changes the unit and screws up and the rep told me that it would be me who has to go back and get recourse to get it straightened out. I told her that I don’t want the person in my house. I then started telling her furthermore that the guy said a new unit is needed and he did not even try to put one of the three parts he ordered so how could he know if he even fixed the heating system. The rep said that the guy was charging them for the parts and for the repair.

Since I know a bit about mechanical things, I said that there was nothing seriously wrong with our unit. After the guy left, we saw a bug that died in one of the lines and it was the reason why the water was sitting there as the heating system got clogged. We pulled the bug out with a tweezer. The rep checked and we wound up with a really nice guy named Calvin. Then, we had another company come out and when the guy came out, he said that he had to pull all the parts back on that he took off. We told him about the problem with the line so he blew all the lines out. He explained to us that if one of the lines were clogged and with the way the system works, it would click off. It would not also come on if a line is clogged. So, he hooked everything back up and the unit worked fine.

The guy sent Calvin a report saying that everything was fine and that he didn’t see it needing a new unit. He didn’t see the rust that the guy was saying. He also said the only thing that he thought was that in the near future, probably the igniter might go out. So, Calvin asked us if it was okay that they change the igniter since it looked like it was getting ready to go out. He changed the igniter and it had been a couple of months and we have had no problem.

The unit was gonna cost HMS over $3,000 by the time the first guy would install it and we were told that he could change it within two hours. The other guy said there was no way, not with all the work that would have been done. We got the problem resolved and it ended very well. I would still recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend but I would explain to them that if they feel like something is wrong, they should explain it to the person. I wouldn’t want anybody to have the experience that I had.

HMS Home Warranty response

Terrin, We’re glad to hear that your claim got resolved, but sorry to hear about all the confusion with the provider. We appreciate your recommendation. Have a great day! - Amanda

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

The seller of the house purchased HMS Home Warranty and had the coverage for the water heater and stuff during the sale of the home. Filing a claim hasn't been too bad. The contacting of the warranty company is a bit different. It's kinda between two companies. But for the most part, it has been fine. The house that we purchased wasn't being used regularly prior to being put on the market. So, there were some things that might have gotten worse throughout. So then when I started using everything regularly, they started backing up. And I've been a bit unlucky with the techs they've sent out, so far.

I had a plumber service that came and I wasn't overly impressed with them. The plumbing company that HMS uses in this area have reviews online that are really, really bad. It's all for warranty works. I don't know if there are also warranty for other companies other than HMS. But all the Yelp reviews and online reviews are pretty bad. I tried to cancel my appointment and see if it would reassign me to another company, but it just reassigned me a second time to the same one.

The people that came didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. They left a mess in the house after they cut the hole in my kitchen and then they disappeared for two hours without telling me where they were going or when they would be back. They got lost trying to find the place. So, I had to contact the warranty company to say that they were beyond the window I was given and that they said that they were on their way and nobody was there. Only then did they reach out to the company and found out that the driver was sitting in a parking lot in my neighborhood but not in the right area. Fortunately, the problem was something very small, so they were able to handle it. It would be nice if there was another option for that sort of service. Hopefully, I will never need it again for any plumbing related issues.

One of the issues they deemed is some sort of negligence that must have been done by the previous owner. The technician that came for the dryer said that it appeared that there were some dents and things inside that appeared that the previous owner was probably doing too large a load. And that probably is what eventually caused its crack. I sort of understand where the company is coming from. That there was probably heavy abuse prior to us taking ownership of it. I bought the house and did the inspection. So, anything that wasn't found during the inspection, I expected to work 100% properly. But the dryer works fine. It's just a little louder than normal.

The washing machine was a bit of a surprise. It's kinda frustrating at this point. I hardly had any problems with it for the first two months. And then now, it keeps trying to recycle it to like rinse again, so it won't ever spin it. If I wanna switch it to the dryer, I have to dry it like three times because it's soaking wet. The claim was supposed to be set up but I never received a notification of a change. When I got on the application for Sears that says, "Your appointment is today, track your driver," it stated that my appointment was now for a different day, even though the email reads, "Your appointment is for today." I called them and they said they didn't know why it happened, but the only thing they could assume is that the driver fell behind and was gonna be unable to make the appointment. Hopefully, it's something minor that they can fix on the spot.

Another problem I had is I tried to do more than one claim on the same day and they weren't able to tell me if I would be able to get the same technician that could handle multiple repairs. They gave me three separate delivery windows when I called the day of and then they combined two repairs to one mechanic without telling me. So, it deleted one of my time zones. I was waiting on somebody to show up and obviously not at work because I was waiting on three technicians.

Then, the same person had to get parts ordered for my microwave and my stove. But then they didn't allow him to do both repairs on the same day. So, he only had a certain amount of time allotted to fix my stove. He was unable to fix my microwave. He had to come back a week later to fix my microwave which was another week of not being able to use my appliance. And another day I have to not be at work or been on-call to make sure I'm home for it. If they could just be a little bit more in line on stuff like that, that would be obviously beneficial. But I was just happy that I knew the process was in motion.

Every other experience thus far has been good. The technicians at Sears really know what they're doing. They send me an automated text message to let me know they're on their way. They've also called me when they were on their way to make sure that in case I didn't get the message right away because sometimes they said that the text messages could come 10 or 15 minutes behind when they're actually coming. So, I've been very impressed with all the Sears technicians that I've had to deal with. Also, for the most part, I've been happy with the results. The automated system is really easy to use.

HMS Home Warranty response

Charles, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with the service we provided. - Amanda

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I’ve had three claims with HMS. One was for my refrigerator. When we first moved in, it was leaking. And that was a fine experience with HMS. We had a technician come out and he fixed it right away. The second experience was my washing machine. I had someone come out, look at it and order a part. We had to wait a month for them to fix it. It was inconvenient, but they fixed it. The technicians were great. The first technician was wrong and his first diagnosis was wrong. The guy who came out to fix it with the part said, “The first one was wrong. He didn’t even need to wait for the part.” So, that ended up having a whole month wasted. But it was fine. It was fixed, which is what counts.

And so, the third experience was just last week with the heating system. That was an awful experience with the technician that came out. I called HMS on Saturday. The technician came out on Thursday and he was so rude. Once I told him I didn’t wanna buy a new system, he told me that HMS wouldn’t cover any of my claims if I didn’t right then buy a new system through him and that once he left my house, I would lose all my benefits from HMS. And so, he was pressuring me. He said it would be $1,000 they would pay towards my new system. They wouldn’t buy me a new system, but they would pay towards it. So, I was like, “I don’t wanna lose $1,000.” He was pressuring and then he said, “You can set this all up, and then when your husband comes home from work, you can talk about it. If you change your mind, you can just still call and cancel.” So, I said okay.

He ran my credit, and I talked to a lady on the phone. She said, “Okay, you’re approved.” I asked, “There are no repercussions that I change my mind, correct?” She said there was a restocking fee for all this equipment that I was ordering. I said he didn’t tell me any of this. I said I was told I could just change my mind. I said, “Forget this. I don’t want this line of credit. I don’t want anything to do with this. I don’t want a new system. I’ll call somebody else.” ‘Cause I wanted to be able to shop around for the best deal and research what system I wanted to get if I’m gonna purchase this new one.

He was saying I would lose everything no matter what if he left my house. He said, “Are you gonna believe the 16-year old secretary on the phone are you gonna believe me sitting here right in front of you?” I said, “I don’t know. I’m just telling you what she said. I want nothing to do with this. I’m gonna find my own way of doing this.” So, then he said, “She’s gonna be fired before I leave your driveway.” Then I said, “Just go ahead and go. Forget all this.” He left and marched out of my house. He never filed a report with HMS. I called HMS and they have no record he even was here. They never received a report from him. And then I thought I'd better call my bank.

I bank with Wells Fargo, and it was a no interest five-year loan for this thing. I said I was gonna call my bank back and maybe they could reverse the credit check that they did. So, I called and she said they definitely opened a $9,000 line of retail credit on my account. I called HMS and they wanted me to do all this stuff like take a picture of his report. They had no record he was here. And then, I talked to my bank, and they had escalated it to a fraud claim for A-Advantage.

The tech also lied to me about the age of my unit. He told me my unit was from 2007 and it’s from 2012. He tried to tell me my unit was too old to replace, that it would be too much repair, that’s why I needed to get a new one. But when the second technician came out that I called, he said, “He lied. It’s a 2012.” Then I called A-Advantage today ‘cause they were closed over the weekend and they said, “He didn’t know. He just misread the label.” I’m like, “Oh, you can read a label. I don’t know how old the system is, but how are you diagnosing what’s wrong with my system?” And I had it fixed within 20 minutes. The technician came out from the other company and fixed it in 15 minutes. It was a faulty wire.

HMS themselves has been very courteous. They have been great to deal with and it's not their fault at all. It’s this other company that they sent out. So, I would highly recommend that HMS screen their companies better and have a higher standard to what they do. Other than that, they’ve been fine. They also give really great texts that follow up with us and ask if I need any help. I get good email communication as well.

HMS Home Warranty response

Debbie, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. If you need further assistance with any claim, please respond with your full property address. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Our realtor recommended that we get HMS Home Warranty when we bought the home, so we did. We've had to use it a number of times and it has benefited us tremendously. It has definitely been worth our money. We've had a claim at least once every year and overall, it has always been outstanding. However, this year has been the worst. We never have any issues except we have a dishwasher claim that we can't seem to get settled, and that has been our only complaint. I filed the claim in August and the first thing they tried to do was order the part. The maintenance guy that came out ordered the parts, but a different guy came out when the part came in, and that guy said, "That's not even the right part."

He said that he didn't know if they can get the part that we really need. He tried to order the part, but after a long while, I had to call a couple of times to see what was going on, and they that they couldn't get the part. They said they would just replace the dishwasher. They sent me an email saying, "This is what you'll get. You just need to verify the size, make sure it'll fit," so we did that. They showed up with a new dishwasher and the guy delivering the dishwasher came in. The first thing he did was measure and he said that the new dishwasher wouldn't fit. I said, "How can it not fit. It's exactly the same size of the dishwasher that we have now." But he refused to get it off the truck saying it would not fit.

I called my husband, who wasn't home at the time, and he said, "That's crap! It'll fit. It's the same size dishwasher we have.” He was on his way home, but the guy literally refused to get the dishwasher off the truck saying it wouldn't fit and that we'd have to reorder the correct size. He made me sign a piece of paper and a woman called me immediately just to make sure that I was returning it. I flat out told her that my husband said that it would fit, but the guy wouldn't get it off the truck and he said it was not the right size. My husband was around the corner as they were pulling out and he stopped them. Once again, he told them it would fit, but the guys refused and said it wouldn't.

A lady just called me on Saturday, but I was at work so I didn't catch the call. She left me a message saying that they couldn't get a replacement dishwasher for some reason and that they would have to send me a check, but they were gonna charge me the restocking fee. I tried to call back immediately and I got a hold of somebody else. She said that the supervisor wasn't available and I told her that I wasn't paying the re-stocking fee. I also said that the dishwasher would fit.

The supervisor that called and left a message was speaking very fast. I called back immediately and spoke with the representative, and she was super sweet. She said she was gonna note it all, but she said that the supervisor was supposed to call me to make a second attempt to get in touch with me, although I haven't heard from her yet. We are still in the midst of trying to figure out the dishwasher. It was such a simple claim. It has been back and forth and my husband was really irritated with the guys who delivered the dishwasher.

We are still fighting with the whole dishwasher situation. Still, other than that, we had to have our AC replaced and we had problems with our heater a month ago. Everything else has been fast and no problems and we've been very happy with the services. Whenever I call HMS and speak with somebody, it generally goes very smoothly and they are very friendly. I was generally been very happy with the service and I'm very grateful that I've had HMS. I definitely would recommend having HMS because people never know what's gonna go wrong.

HMS Home Warranty response

Karen, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of the installation companies was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We got referred to HMS Home Warranty by our homes' seller. When people buy a house that's not new, they don't necessarily know what hidden broken things are gonna be. Plus, the home warranty was something that the seller thought would be of benefit to getting the home sold. Thus, we've been customers of HMS since April 2010. However, we've recently thought about going to another company. We had two claims that were questionable. The first claim was a couple of years ago when we had a water softener that needed to be replaced. HMS had Home Resort as the people that would be fixing the water softener, but the guy was not appropriate. He tried really hard to not be offensive, but he was. You don't wanna have any kids or elderly people in your home. We had our teenager daughter here and she was scared. She ended up calling and saying, "Can you guys come home? He's cussing and screaming down in the basement." We had that episode.

We also had a problem with our garage door opener, so my husband called to report that it needed to be fixed and created a ticket. When HMS called, he told them that he didn't want Home Resort. They told him that there were no other repair people in our area. My husband said that it was fine and to have them come out and fix it. The Home Resort guy came out and said that the motor was bad, which we already knew. He said that he would get an approval from our warranty and we waited until the next week. In our experience before, the insurance approved it quickly, not something that took days and days.

My husband called and asked where we were at with the claim and told us that the guy said that our insurance hadn't approved it. So, I called HMS to find out where we were at. The rep said that we canceled, but I said that we didn't. The rep said that my husband didn't want Home Resort to come out, so we canceled, but I said no and that Home Resort already came out. I also said that I just wanted to know where we were and when it was gonna be approved, but she said that they canceled the claim. I told her that the guy came out and that I paid him my $100, and she said that she was gonna fix it.

She had canceled our repair order and I asked her multiple times to let me talk to a supervisor, but she refused. She kept telling me that she was gonna fix it for me, but I kept telling her no. I could tell that she did not understand what she was doing. So, I said that I needed to speak to someone else and that she was not helping me. She then connected me to someone else and when I spoke to that person, she said that she didn't know what was going on, but that in the notes, my claim had been canceled by the girl that I had just talked to.

The second rep had to resubmit everything and do something to get it approved, so it took us extra time. We waited three weeks before we got our garage door fixed. When I got transferred to the second girl who finally was helping, at that point, HMS should have contacted us because there was a significant problem on their end. The first girl should not have been working there. She did not know what she was doing and she created a huge mess.

The Home Resort guy came out and he told us that when we get the garage door opener and if we pay the $100, that just covers our warranty piece, but if we wanted to have two garage door openers, it was gonna be $30 more. We needed two garage door openers, one for me and one for my husband, so we said okay. However, I came to find out that he bought the one that came with two for $159, so we paid more than we should have. He was very shady and HMS should consider finding someone else. In the past, we've always had really good service. Usually, when we call, HMS had someone out here real quick. We've had trouble with our heater and they sent someone out right away. Our water heater had to be replaced and they've sent someone out right away. We've always had really good luck with claims until the last time that was pretty rough.

HMS Home Warranty response

Virginia, I’m glad we exceeded your expectations! We aim to provide excellent service even in unexpected situations such as yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it! – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: May 19, 2019

I've had HMS since I had my home in '07 and submitting claims with them has been very easy. I got a whole new air condition unit. I had a garbage disposal and my washer and dryer were repaired. The contractors have all been excellent. I've had no problem. If I would have, I'd have cancelled. The air condition guy, Gus, stood out in terms of his service and their time effort. If they said, "We'll have somebody out to you, sir, tomorrow at 10 o'clock.", rest assured, if they weren't there at 10 o'clock, they'd be calling me to say, "I know we said 10:00, but we're running late on a double job. We'll be there. Give us about another hour or 45 minutes." So it's been great. I already referred a couple of my co-workers to HMS. They're already with them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Hezekiah, We appreciate your recommendation to your co-workers! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with HMS. - Austin

Original review: May 18, 2019

Sometimes I get irritated because the guys sent by HMS Home Warranty who come here have to patch something instead of fixing it. The boy who came out to work on my air conditioning and heating system messed up on one of the boards so he had to jury-rig it. He hot-wired one wire over another instead of ordering a new board. Additionally, he said that what I had was an old machine and should be replaced but HMS wouldn't let him. Still, he finally got a board, put it in and got my system working.

More recently, I've been having a washing machine problem. The tech came two weeks ago and said they would order the part and be back. They even called us and emailed, and told me the part was shipped and should have been around last Monday. That makes three weeks and still we haven't gotten the part. They said that it went to the wrong address. When HMS uses Sears as their contractor, the part comes to the house the next day. However, we've never used the contractor we're having before. Still, submitting claims to HMS Home Warranty has been easy.

HMS Home Warranty response

David, I’m sorry to hear that some of your experiences haven’t gone as smoothly as possible. We appreciate your feedback. We are thankful to know that overall the process has been easy. - Amanda

Original review: May 17, 2019

Our heater started malfunctioning in January. We initially filed the claim on Jan 21. A technician came out that night and said that we needed a part. We paid the deductible and waited. When we contacted the service provider, they would only tell us to contact HMS as the parts are up to them. We began calling HMS every week or so. The service rep would tell us the part had been ordered and tell us an estimated delivery date. That date came and went a few times. As it turns out the part wasn’t ordered until March 7 and then it was sent to the wrong address (fault of service provider).

Rather than order a new part and return the lost one, HMS wanted to track down the lost one and then ship it to the correct address. It’s been “waiting for pick up” by the service provider since April 9. No one can get the service provider to answer the phone, return voicemails or e-mails. When I call, the standard answer is that they will reach out to the service provider. That’s it.

This is a heater. In Pennsylvania. That hasn’t been working properly since January. There was a polar vortex. There was snow. Even earlier this week in May it was 47 degrees when I was on the phone with yet another representative from HMS. We have a young child. We have a dog. This is unacceptable. Not one employee of HMS has seemed alarmed or even concerned that this a heater in someone’s home in the winter in the northern US. Not one. I’m honestly baffled by the whole thing. After leaving a poor review on another site they reached out and have finally agreed to send out another service provider: first appointment is in 2 weeks. The rep didn’t want to do that because she said it would “take longer.” Longer than 4 months?!?! I wouldn’t use this warranty company on a dog house. You shouldn’t either.

HMS Home Warranty response

Alison - A member of our team is working your claim to ensure it becomes fully resolved as quickly as possible from this point forward. I understand your claim experience is not what you expected it to be, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you've been caused. Respectfully, Angela

Original review: May 17, 2019

I've been with HMS for 20 years and have had very good experience with their reps. I submit my claims to them over the phone and then their contractors usually take three days to come out. However, I’m in a claim for a refrigerator right now, and it's taking a little more time than I would have preferred. It has been about seven days. Other than that, the contractors have done very well with their work. They explain the issues thoroughly and extremely well.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jacqueline, Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing! If you need additional assistance with your claim please message us back with the best time to reach you. - Angela

Original review: May 17, 2019

I've been with HMS for 15 years during which I had about eight claims with them - electrical problem, heating, Freon, air conditioning, washer and dryer. The most recent one was the heating and air conditioning. That was just to control the thermostat. There are like occasions that you have to wait, but most of my claims have been been okay. Their contractors have always been pleasant and I never had any problem. I'm pretty pleased because there was one time that we wanted someone to come back and double check on something and they did. It's been a pleasure working with HMS. Mostly, it's been a good experience so I can't complain.

HMS Home Warranty response

Inocencia, We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and are happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with your experienced. – Christine

Original review: May 17, 2019

The previous owner of the property had a warranty through HMS and I continued it once I was notified about the home warranty. HMS is a good company and I've been with them since 2013. They promptly get service providers out there at your request. They give you the information about that then say they’ll call back and schedule the appointment. And they're on time with their appointment or schedule. That’s what I like about them. They give you the time. If there’s something they will do, they will work according to your schedule. I've been satisfied with HMS but I had a little hassle with the last work order I put in for a refrigerator. It got resolved though. They kinda wouldn’t comply to what was going on. But they finally came through and fixed the situation.

I submitted the claim online and also spoke with a claims rep. They treated me nicely but they gave me a little bit of a runaround as far as the notes they were entering that stated what was going on. Some didn’t have knowledge in refunding me the money for my own outside provider who diagnosed the issue. A rep said he did the refund one time and another rep said he didn't as it couldn't be seen by the rep. The request was resubmitted and the issue finally got resolved. I got my money and it wasn't at the timeframe that HMS stated, but I received it.

The technician who came for my appliance was knowledgeable about what was going on. Any ideas that he was thinking about the issues, it was pretty much saying, "This would need to be done. It’s a possibility. It may work, it may not work." He submitted the information to HMS for them to decide whether to take that chance on what he diagnosed could work or not work. If it didn’t work, you just wasted money for a contractor to come out, have something done and it wouldn't work. HMS could just go ahead and replace the whole thing so we’ll know we have something guaranteed.

HMS Home Warranty response

Darnell, We value your feedback and thank you for your loyalty to HMS over the last 6 years. – Amanda

Original review: May 16, 2019

I've been with HMS Home Warranty since September and I've come to prefer submitting claims on the phone. My interactions with their representatives have been good. They send out the right services and it normally takes two days for a contractor to come out. The contractors have provided appropriate care and didn’t leave the job until it was done. Plus, they were very thorough.

HMS Home Warranty response

John, I’m glad to hear that you had a great experience with our contractors. We aim to provide quick and efficient claim resolutions, and are delighted to hear we have been able to meet your home warranty needs. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: May 16, 2019

To save money and to be able to fix things that break, we got a home warranty. Liking HMS' availability, we decided on them. It's a great asset to have. It goes smoothly when I file a claim and I do this over the phone. The contractors are usually very professional but HMS does not usually give me an expected time for when the contractors would be out.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kristy, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are continuously working to improve our processes to better your customer experience and we are happy to hear we delivered. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: May 15, 2019

Schmidt’s was called out and analyzed my issues. I gave them a check for issues to be corrected. Schmidt's canceled my order and did not inform me. I have been waiting for over a week to have my air conditioner to be fixed. I’ve called HMS and another company will service me next Friday. I am a disabled 71 year old Vietnam Veteran and the heat here in Arizona has made my life living hell. It’s hot. I can’t sleep.

HMS Home Warranty response

James, This is certainly not the level of service we intend to provide our homeowners with and I regret this has been your experience. I have located your account and my team will give you a call with an update on your claim. Thanks - Christine

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had HMS Home Warranty for the last 7 years and had no issues with claims...until now. My A/C went out on April 20, 2019. We submitted a claim that day. On April 23 the first tech showed up. He said we needed a new unit but that HMS would want a second opinion. Once we got that set up (which was not easy and entailed several phone calls that were definitely outsourced), we got someone to show up the following day. He told us the first tech did not know what he was doing and that we needed a new evaporator coil. He also told us it would probably not last, would cost us quite a bit of money out of pocket, and tried to convince us to replace the unit ourselves and not use HMS. We told him we wanted to replace the part and not the unit.

We received a message from the company stating we owed $1,660.00 and they would not perform any work until we paid. I contacted HMS to inquire what this cost was for and what the home warranty was actually covering. I received an email back (because it's pretty difficult to actually talk to someone on the phone), showing everything they do not cover with this part, totaling $1,660.00. They did not clarify what the warranty actually covered.

The A/C company then sent someone out on May 6, 2019 to fix the part and said we did not have to pay until that day. We gave the technician a check for this amount upon arrival. After several minutes in the attic, they came down to state they ordered the wrong part and would have to come back in a couple days with the correct part. He assured us it would be no more than a couple days, which we were relieved because we were expecting high temps later that week. The check we wrote for $1,660.00 was cashed by the company on May 10, 2019, before ANY work was done.

On May 16, 2019 (more than "a couple days") we received word that the company was going back and forth with HMS and needed another approval for the right part. Now we are told it will be sometime next week "if we are lucky" that we will get our A/C fixed, AND THAT WE OWE ANOTHER $300, putting the total cost at almost $2,000. When we try to call and talk to someone with HMS, it automatically kicks us over to the A/C company.

So here we are almost a month, and counting, and we still do not have our unit fixed. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE due to the poor service and treatment my husband and I have had over the last few weeks. We just renewed our warranty a couple months ago, but now regretting it. It wasn't cheap, and now we're going to be out $2,000, if we ever get it fixed. AWFUL service, AWFUL company, and they use AWFUL company for this repair. Reading some of these reviews, I see I am not alone. If you are considering HMS Warranty, save your money or go with another company.

HMS Home Warranty response

Deborah, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. In this instance your warranty addressed parts and labor for the failing item, and the out of pocket expense was related to modifications and upgrades which were required in order to install the new equipment. Since those items were not failing, they do not qualify for coverage. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of your warranty booklet that was mailed to you upon enrollment. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding which occurred. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: May 15, 2019

We set up an appointment a week before for a refrigerator repair on 4/27/19. We were given a window of 10 am to 5 pm. After waiting seven hours and repeatedly trying to contact the service provider, David Fant Enterprises, a service professional contacted me around 6:30 pm. He said that he would not make it because he was told it was an HVAC repair.

My husband contacted David Fant and he set up another appointment the next week, 5/3/19, from 10 am to 5 pm, acknowledging the mistake. My husband talked to David Fant two times on the day of service. He was told a service professional would be there between 1pm and 2 pm. At 3 pm my husband received a text message from HMS saying that a new appointment was now scheduled on a Tuesday a week and a half later. My husband tried to contact David Fant after 3 pm and David Fant never picked up the phone.

My husband called HMS on 5/3 to ask why he was not contacted about the current service call. He also was not given an opportunity to pick a day of service. He was told that a manager was not available, but an employee promised an HMS manager would contact him in 24 hours. My husband called back twice in the week. Both times when he asked to speak to a manager he was transferred to a deadline.

On 5/9, my husband spoke to Tanisha (employee #**) to explain the situation. She said she was sorry about the incidents but there was nothing she could do and would not allow my husband to speak to anyone above her. We felt there should be some compensation such as a refund or credit on our account for the two no-show appointments, lack of communication from HMS, and overall poor business practices.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lissa, I regret to hear this has been your experience, and sincerely apologize that two of your appointments did not show up. My team would like to help if we can. We have located your account and my team will be completing a thorough review of your claim to provide a resolution. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 15, 2019

I bought a house and in the process, the seller used HMS Home Warranty as a selling point. So, we went with them. In general, my experience in submitting claims to them has been good. Usually, I call on the phone and my interactions with their reps have been friendly and prompt. When I filed a claim for a plumbing issue, it was resolved satisfactorily. I would recommend HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Larry, We aim to deliver prompt and reliable service, and are happy to hear that has been your experience. We appreciate the opportunity to service your home warranty needs. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 15, 2019

I prefer dealing with a person so I called HMS to make a claim. That went eerily, awkwardly, and strangely easy. I didn't understand why it was so easy. I was waiting for the catch but there wasn't one. It was really unbelievably simple. They took care of everything and it was fantastic. Customer service was very good. The claim was for a rental property of mine and HMS did a good job of communicating with both me and the tenant which was one more step. My tenant at the rental is a very particular one and since they didn't complain, that tells me that the level of service of the contractor was very good. I'm very pleased and HMS has been excellent. Hopefully, I don't have to use them again but I am happy to know they're there for me.

HMS Home Warranty response

Saman, We are thrilled to hear that your entire claim process was a breeze. Thanks for sharing! Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 14, 2019

When I submit a claim to HMS Home Warranty, it's taken care of right away and the price is not a headache. I do it over the phone and the reps are always professional. It seems like they care about my problem as much as I do. Also, the quality of work by the techs is really good. Although, we have a plumber who comes out and I don't like his attitude. He seems grumpy. The rates have gone up, though, and before June, which is when everything renews, I'm gonna search for others.

HMS Home Warranty response

Aaron, Thank you for being a loyal customer. We value your feedback and will ensure it is provided within the organization for handling. Have a great day! - Angela

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've been with HMS for couple years now and they've been absolutely wonderful. I have been recommending them. Claims-wise, they've been really good and a contractor comes out for service very quickly. They're excellent people and we've had no complaints whatsoever.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mary, We’re happy to hear that you’ve been pleased with the service we provide. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: May 13, 2019

I hardly ever write reviews. I moved into my home 1/2019 in which the warranty was in effect 12/2018. My water stopped getting hot March 2019. I put a claim into HMS and they sent someone out and I paid my $100 Deductible. The guy told me my water heater needed to be replaced. HMS of course denied the claim. They told me the claim was denied because "The warranty does not cover lack of maintenance and cleaning failures." Remind you, I moved into my home 1/2019. I've been without hot water since March 2019 and it's now May. I have made numerous calls and sent numerous emails.

When I call I am on the phone for at least an hour to be told the claim is being reviewed. I give a decent amount of time for the claim to be reviewed before reaching out, each time I feel like they did not put any effort into my claim because each representative has to research the claim. They went on to tell me to send them my home inspection. I wait another month to get a denial again which stated again (The warranty does not cover lack of maintenance and cleaning failures.) I sent another email requesting to speak with someone so they can explain the denial to me and why they feel it was a lack of maintenance when I've had the warranty since December.

Again it seems to me that I am being brushed off because they do not want to fulfill the claim. I have been very patient with this long drawn out claim and have not given up, this is not something a homeowner should have to go through. HMS should support their customers! I will continue calling and sending emails until HMS fulfill what they should have in March! I will give an update in a few weeks.

HMS Home Warranty response

Angela, It is clear that your expectations were not met. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and would like for you to know that we value your opinion. Our records indicate that since this review a member from our leadership has spoken with you directly and has provided you the update on your claim. We regret you may feel as if the policy did not meet your needs. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: May 13, 2019

This warranty was purchased by the seller. I bought an existing home in May 2018. The AC worked well all last summer. Turned it on April 2019; it would not cool. Call warranty company. They sent a tech out who said the compressor was broken but he didn’t know why. He stated that rarely happens. The warranty company denied the claim and stated that they advised the technician that it stopped bc a valve was improperly installed and that the valve is not covered. How would they know? Because the know which parts are not covered in your contract. SCAM.

HMS Home Warranty response

Artrice, It is clear that your expectations were not met. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and value your opinion. I have located your account and will complete a thorough review of your air conditioning claim to ensure you have received the full benefit your warranty provides. – Angela

Original review: May 13, 2019

HMS Home Warranty has been very cost-effective for us. We’ve had claims and they’ve been taken care of although the process to get them fixed has been a little bit more hit or miss. Right now, we have a claim for our oven, and the guy who’s working on it have been to our house three times. He disappears for weeks ordering a part.

Some of the providers that HMS has are not as speedy. They get the job done but they are more like off the beaten path. They feel like it’s not as important as a normal claim and it might be the way that they’re compensated. A couple of times with my furnace, they said they could be out in seven days, and it was winter. So, I feel like they have to do them based on my contractual obligations. They’re not as receptive as like a normal claim who would call them straight and pay them cash. Nevertheless, HMS is a great service for people. It’s a nice added safety net to have. Plus, Stephanie, the rep, was wonderful. When I had problems, she always responded, asked for back-up information and always followed through. She changes the warranty experience for people, because you get a human being and someone who will listen to the specifics of the story versus someone taking the claim.

HMS Home Warranty response

Melissa, We aim for our claims process to be quick and simple, and we’re committed to being available 24 hours a day to answer any questions you may have. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: May 13, 2019

I got HMS Home Warranty three years ago and the interactions with the claims rep when I submitted the claims were great. The first company I was put in contact with on my last claim had horrible reviews on Yelp, and I didn’t get a call back very quickly, so I called in and HMS changed it to a different person. If there is any way to make sure the quality of the repair people are top-shelf, that’d be good.

HMS Home Warranty response

David, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. All of our providers are licensed and insured, and qualified for the work which they are assigned. We appreciate your feedback. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: May 12, 2019

Our experience with HMS Home Warranty has been good. I’ve not had any issues and they’re helpful when you need help. I usually use their website to file claims. It’s easy and simple. I had trouble with one technician who was less than nice but everyone else has been great. From what I heard, there are better home warranty companies. But from other people who have home warranty companies and have interactions, I am much more satisfied than a lot of people. So, I’m fine with HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Susan, We value your feedback and are glad to hear you’ve been satisfied with the service we provide. Thanks, Austin

Original review: May 12, 2019

Every time I’ve had to use HMS, it’s been a painless process and I’ve had good results with the people that they’ve suggested or supplied. I just call in and place the claim, and they tell me who’s around. I had to talk to a customer service rep a couple of times, and they were fine. They were helpful, they understood the problem and resolved it. The contractors are professional and they’ve always been able to complete the job on the first go-around.

HMS Home Warranty response

Robert, I'm happy to hear that you’ve see the benefit your home warranty provides. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: May 11, 2019

My wife and I purchased a home and with older appliances and systems, we thought a home warranty would be wise. For the most part we're had fairly good luck with them, they weren't the fastest, and to be honest they don't know what's going on any more than you do. We had repairs and replacements that did save us money in the long run, but this last one (as we are within days now of our contract expiring) has been a merry-go-round cluster **.

Original issue of our refrigerator was 8 months ago, they sent someone out, they looked at it and eventually 2 weeks later after parts arrived they came back and repaired it... The issue was the ice maker to us, we didn't know any better. Anyway to move this along, 4 months ago ice maker goes out, we deal with it and just buy bags. So then we remember about the warranty and it expires in a couple months so 2 months ago I call to put in a work order. Even though it's the same issue as before, we are charged another deductible and begin this process all over. The first guy comes to look at it and since it's a closed system he says he doesn't repair those. We call HMS and complain so they assign another company, I call them to confirm appointment time and tell them what's going on, and they don't work on closed systems either.

So now the hunt is on for a company that will even come back to the house to fix it. No kidding, 5 assignments later we get one, same ones that fixed it before (Sears). The guy comes out to look, said the first repair was a bandaid fix and that it needs new compressor and dryer. He goes on to tell us that it's probably going to break down within the year and goes ahead to order parts. After hearing all this, I contact HMS and plead with them to just give me whatever money the repair was going to be and I'd go purchase a new refrigerator because the professional told me it's probably going to break again, and after 6 months, no more warranty. They fought that idea.

So 2 more weeks go by and Sears comes back to repair, was here for an hour and a half, told my wife it's fixed and should be good to use that evening. Oh I forgot to mention the amount of food we had to trash because the fridge wasn't keeping food at a safe temperature. We keep monitoring the temp and it never drops. I call that night to warranty and they said we have to give them 24 hours after the job for whatever reason. I also noticed the lack of care to our newly finished floor, 4 good sized scratches in it from the repairman being lazy.

Okay going to wrap this up, we are still waiting on a repair or recommendation for replacement and this is been going on for 2 months. After the repair didn't work, one would think we would be a priority to correct, but instead we were given an appointment for 9 days later. This company does not care about you, anytime you call them you are given a new person sitting behind a computer completely clueless on your situation so you have to explain everything all over every time. They do not call back when they say they will contact you in 24 to 48 hours, it's always an email and it says the same exact thing, it just changes the number who you need to call to schedule times. Buyer beware, don't hesitate to call them, stick to your guns and don't let them bully you.

HMS Home Warranty response

Dear Scott, I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. I’ve located your account and will complete a thorough review of your claim to ensure it was handled within the full terms and conditions of your warranty, and my team will follow up with you directly. Sincerely, Amanda

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 11, 2019

I had A-Advanced come out yesterday, and they went up in my attic and found that it was a coil that needed to be replaced. The gentleman came down from the attic and he told me what the problem was and said that my system was gone. It's on the downhill and it was gonna cost about $2,500 out of my pocket because HMS would only cover 15. He wanted to know whether I would prefer to spend $2,500 in repairs or get a whole new system. It didn't sound right. My system is nine years old, and I know they can go bad early. But he came out a month ago too and did some work on my air conditioning, which had to do with the fan. It seemed to me that he would look at the whole system while he was out there. He repaired the capacitor and put one in, and he came back yesterday.

Now, it's the coil and Freon is gone. From what I understand now, I got a $739 bill staring me in my face and because there are some extra things that HMS didn't cover. I'm disappointed because I thought that my policy would cover those things, and it does not. It covers the repair part, but for the other things that are in the quote, it does not. I also did not get a call as far as the timeframe when he would be coming by the house. So, I sat home waiting on a call, and I was not very happy about that, either.

Original review: May 11, 2019

HMS Home Warranty was recommended by our realtor when we were buying our condo. We submitted a claim within the first couple of weeks when we were here when we had a water heater that wouldn't light. Navigating HMS's website was easy. Thereafter, a plumber called immediately. They came out the next day and repaired it. There was a $100 deductible which we paid and the heater has been working since.

HMS Home Warranty response

Paula, We aim to provide quick and efficient service and repairs and we are thrilled to be able to service your home warranty needs. Thank you for choosing HMS as your home warranty provider! - Angela

Original review: May 10, 2019

We used to have another warranty company which we had a lot of issues with. But with HMS Home Warranty, we’ve had a really good experience. They show excellent customer service and they contact us in a timely manner. I usually submit claims over the phone and the turnaround is typically 24 to 48 hours. The technicians HMS have sent out have been good.

HMS Home Warranty response

Nida, Our customers are our top priority, and we are pleased to hear you are satisfied with our service. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Sincerely, Angela

HMS Home Warranty coverage exclusions

HMS Home Warranty covers failure of select systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. The policy does not cover deliberate or accidental damage due to abuse or misuse of covered items. HMS warranties do not cover the handling of hazardous materials or the fees associated with hauling away replaced systems or appliances.

In some cases, parts deemed nonessential to the core function of a system or appliance may not be covered. For example, while your kitchen appliances may be covered under your contract, components like doors, glass, seals, drawers, lightbulbs and fixtures may not be covered. You can find a full list of exclusions via HMS's sample agreement.

HMS Home Warranty coverage limits

HMS does have coverage limits, but they vary depending on which covered item is in question. They generally range from $1,000 to $3,000. If an item has a coverage limit or cap, you will be responsible for covering any cost beyond that dollar amount. Overall, we found HMS’s limits generous and on the higher side of average compared to the industry.

ItemHMS’s coverage limit
Septic tank pumping$500
Septic tank replacement$1,000
Swimming pool heater$1,000

HMS Home Warranty claims

Claims can be filed 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. The process is straightforward and easy to do. To request service from HMS Home Warranty:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone to speak directly to an HMS customer care representative.
  2. HMS will assign a service partner to your claim within two hours during normal business hours and 24 hours during weekends and holidays
  3. The service provider will schedule a convenient time for the repair.
  4. During the visit, the service provider will diagnose and suggest repair or replacement.
  5. You will pay your service call fee and the work will be completed.

HMS Home Warranty FAQ

When will coverage begin on an HMS Home Warranty?

For existing homeowners, there is a standard 30-day waiting period after a warranty is purchased. This is true of most home warranty providers in the industry. If you purchase a warranty for a home you’re selling, coverage begins immediately upon enrollment. For home buyers, coverage will begin on your closing date.

Is there a cancellation fee for HMS Home Warranty?

Yes, a $25 processing fee will apply. Homeowners and buyers can cancel their home warranty with a 10-day written notice. Seller Home Warranties are non-cancelable.

Will HMS Home Warranty cover my older systems and appliances?

Yes. There is no age restriction placed on covered items. HMS only requires that they be in working condition at the time of enrollment.

What is a homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement?

You can qualify for up to $500 per year when you pay a deductible on a homeowners insurance claim while an active HMS customer. The reimbursement opportunity is available on the Home Buyers plan, and claims must be reported to HMS within 45 days.

What is HMS’s lodging reimbursement?

HMS will reimburse you for lodging fees up to $1,200 should you have to stay in a hotel/motel in the event your heating or cooling system is non-operational for more than 24 hours from the time of the first service visit, or due to flooding in your home because of a water pipe break.

Is HMS Home Warranty worth it?

HMS Home Warranty offers good coverage for buyers, sellers and existing homeowners alike, with the most available coverage available to homebuyers. While coverage isn’t as comprehensive as others we’ve seen, it covers all essential systems and includes several benefits we haven’t seen anywhere else, like homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement and lodging reimbursement. With these added benefits plus the premier upgrade package, we think HMS has more than enough to offer any homeowner.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information