3.26/5
  • 1 star
Based on 487 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

1592 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

We filed a claim for a broken oven on 10 October. They sent a repair party who took the $100 and never came back. We have called almost twice a week since October, and still have no working oven. The subcontractor never calls us back, and after almost every call we are told a supervisor will call. We have received no return calls from any supervisor. We have had them for years and never had a problem until now, but their response now is absolutely unsatisfactory.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Our stove and oven went out the day before Thanksgiving. To hurry the process, I decided to file a claim online. I was given the date of Dec. 1 that an electrician/repair person would come to check the stove. No one came. I called HMS and they said it wouldn't be until Dec. 14. That person came, found that the part needed was no longer available, and supposedly filed a report. We never heard back from anyone from HMS. So called and HMS said they never received a report. So they put me on hold, contacted Sears, and they said they couldn't understand the response. Not rocket science by any means, HMS. So I contacted the guy who did the repair work and he said he did file a claim. I called HMS back, and they never got the claim. I called Sears and they said I was out of luck. Sears sent me the report, so I told HMS I could forward it to them, but that was unacceptable. End of conversation.

I called HMS back, and 3 agents later, they kept telling me that they never got the claim. I asked to talk to a supervisor. They wouldn't let me talk to a supervisor, but said that one would call us as soon as one was available. We were promised a call, but never did receive a supervisor call. We waited and waited for days for a call, but no one called. A week later after waiting, I then called and talked to Ian. After I told him everything that had happened, He finally dismissed the entire process, and now we have to have to start all over with the claim and they are having another repair person come and check our stove - after I have already paid the deductible.

Ian said we wouldn't have to pay another deductible, and a local store repair person would be coming to check the stove (again). In a previous claim, we ended up buying the appliance that went out. A person tried for 3 months to fix it, but it never was fixed. We are no longer going to ever do business with this company again. We tried to be nice on the phone. Everytime you call, you talk to another agent. I will also be filing a complaint with Sears Home Services.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My wife and I purchased our home in September of 2017. We were thrilled to learn that the seller was including a home warranty. However, this excitement was short lived and disappeared the second we needed to make our first claim. After being in the home a month our clothes washer broke and we submitted to HMS for it to be repaired. A tech came out to assess and get an estimate for repair costs on December 8th 2017. The tech came to a total of $1,154.04 to make any repairs. Because this cost was so high he indicated our washer would be replaced and we could expect a call within 48 hours with further information. That call never came, what has followed has been the headache of calling every few days to get a status report.

Each time we are given the same messages: "It is in research, we cannot say when we will have an answer for you and you will just have to wait to hear back." Each time the frustration has grown, the service representatives refuse to transfer us to a manager even going as far as saying that they work unsupervised. When pressed further they would admit that someone else is there but we may not speak to them. Today is January 13th 2018 and we have still not heard anything new about our claim. I highly recommend not using this company as they have shown how little they care about the customer. There are many other home warranty companies out there and any one of them will get my future business so long as they are not HMS affiliated.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

My dad heater went out 3 weeks ago. He called and filed a claim and paid the $100 deductible under the HMS warranty. They contacted a contractor that would come and supposedly fix the heater and bill the insurance, he would leave the heat on and when the heat would kick off it would not come back on. We continued to call HMS to get the contractor to come back out and he finally did but he did the same thing over and over.

Well, my dad has medical issues and his girlfriend just had a stroke. HMS supposedly put him in as a medical alert meaning that it was top priority but that was 2 weeks ago. He still does not have heat. I have spoken with supervisors and managers and this problem is still not resolved. He still has no heat. He has not contacted another HVAC professional with the permission of HMS and now we are told the whole unit needs to be replaced and he needs a new unit, however, he has to pay out of pocket upfront because this was not the original contractor sent out. So my dad paid his monthly payments on time and his deductible, and now they are wanting him to come out of pocket for $7200 before they reimburse him.

They advise that would take 24 hours to cut him a check, but they said 2 weeks ago another supervisor or someone would contact us back within 4-6 hours and we have called several times and no one wants to call us back, so I can't even imagine how long it will take to reimburse him. I do know that now he is getting sick due to the lack of heat and the stress of dealing with this and no one wants to help fix this solution. My father is a military veteran that dedicated his life to serving this country. I believe that the original contractor doesn't have a clue what they are doing and this insurance is a sham. I will be contacting the Attorney General as well as the insurance commission. The only thing we want is for his heat to be fixed. No more no less.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I recently had an issue with my washing machine in which HMS sent out a repair guy on 12/22/17. Of course, he could not duplicate the issue when he examined the washer. As soon as he left the washer started acting up again. I have video of the issue on 12/8/17 (before the claim was made) and 1/3/2018 (after the repairman investigated) which shows the same issue in both videos. I have called the repairman twice and sent him an email with the videos without any response. I have sat on the phone for over seven hours the past two weeks trying to resolve this with HMS and they will NOT send a repairman out without ANOTHER $100 deductible... FOR THE SAME ISSUE!!! They were supposed to have a supervisor call me on 1/10/2017 at the latest and of course no call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

As I told my realtors: I would strongly encourage you to never use this company again. I have called them numerous times. The first time I waited over 15 minutes before anyone answered. The second time I called early in the morning and someone picked up within a few minutes. The third time I held over 20 minutes before anyone picked up my call. I love you guys, but remember that some of this reflects on you; that is your choice of who to recommend your client use. You only want to use five star providers.

I have a couple of plumbing issues and HMS has referred two different plumbing companies to me. Neither company has contacted me since I first reported the claim on 1-3-18. I have left messages on both of the plumbing companies voicemails. When I called Tuesday 1-9-18 and demanded to speak with a supervisor or manager, I was told that someone would get back with me within two days. As of this morning no one has called me. I have kept the names of everyone I have spoken with at HMS.

I called HMS this morning and threatened to sue them over nonperformance; and I am serious. I am researching “Consumer Affairs” as we speak and getting ready to post a burning review of them online. HMS is a crap company and I’m sure that you can find a better warranty company than them. Be sure to tell all of your other realtor friends. Feel free to forward this email to all of the realtor associations that you can. Also I’m considering contacting the NASDAQ regulators as HMS is a publically traded company. There are lots of ways that the small consumer can sting a large company. Remind me to tell you my Barbados story sometime. Have a good winter. This is a real, honest and straightforward review. There is nothing fake in it.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I filed a claim in mid November of 2017 for the washing machine that came with my house I bought to be fixed. The tech came out 2 weeks later and diagnosed the problems and sent in a request for the parts from HMS on Nov. 29th. I have called 3 times and keep just getting told that the claim is in research and they will call me back when they know something. I ask to speak to a supervisor and am just told no. Do not under any circumstance ever do business with this company. If you are buying a home with a warranty as I did make sure to tell the realtor not to get the warranty through HMS.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I filed a claim with an emergency situation I had with plumbing. According to them they had no way to schedule for help. I should hand bail rising water in my kitchen sink for a week until they can schedule service because, "Nothing else is available." Do not get a peace of mind home warranty through them. They are terrible. The company they did assign me to one week from now is a heating and air conditioning company who does not do plumbing anyway. Also, you click 1 to do a survey at the end of the call and I hung on the line for 10 minutes and never got to the survey. I have no patience to be treated this way. Nor do I have the time to make several phone calls to the same.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I purchased a home that came with the HMS Home Warranty. I had heard that home warranties were difficult to deal with and never worth time or money. I should have listened to that advice before spending so much of my time on hold and time away from work for this awful company! My first issue occurred in June. The AC unit in the attic was leaking due to overflowing condenser. I put in a claim online and received a timeframe of 9am-5pm for the tech to arrive a few days later. So I took a day away from work to wait the entire 9-5. That large of a timeframe is ridiculous in this time and day honestly. The tech arrived around 1pm, wet vaccumed the condenser catcher that was rusted (so of course this has happened in the past) and said I am good to go. Ha. Well it worked the rest of the summer, so I was fine with the temporary fix.

Not too bad yet right? Well, winter rolls around. It's December 2017 and it's already snowed in Richmond, VA. It's fairly cold out and my heater all of a sudden stops working on a Sunday. The fuse in the furnace in the attic had blown and the unit outside wasn't condensing correctly as it had 2 inches of frost all around the interior of it. The units weren't turning on so it was quickly getting cold in my home where both myself and my 2 year old daughter reside. I replaced the fuse, and all was good. A week later, the fuse blows again. I decided to put in a claim online (after replacing the fuse in the meantime and leaving it on emergency heat) and again received a ridiculous timeframe of 9am-5pm a few days later for a tech to arrive. Tech comes, checks a few things, and advises I need a full replacement of the two units and leaves the emergency heat on (which is extremely expensive).

That was 12/13/17. As several people here have stated, I also got the whole "someone will contact you within 24-48 hours", "we cannot call you directly", back and forth about 8 times, and literally spent about 5-6 hours in total waiting for HMS reps to answer the phone, got put on hold several times, and even was hung up on. I even spoke to a manager this past Thursday, or so I was told is a manager (who can't make calls out, go figure), and she advised another manager that can do outbound calls (ha) will call me the following day.

I told her several times that I had been told this the past 6 times I called you guys and waited 3 days without a call received, called you guys back, and still, told the same thing again. I asked, how do I know this isn't going to happen again. She was adamant that it would definitely not happen and someone will definitely call me tomorrow (Friday 1/5/18). I bet you can guess what happened... NO ONE CALLED ME. This is literally one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with.

I am sitting in a cold home with my 2 year old daughter on emergency heat increasing my power bill exponentially and getting the runaround from both HMS as well as the service company they hired, Advanced Service Company. I would highly recommend NOT to do business with this company and if you happen to already have this company, don't even waste your time trying to contact them (you'll get that run around game they apparently do to all their customers), instead just cash out your warranty and recommend everyone you know to never purchase a policy through them and to cash out their policies as well. This company should not exist with this extremely horrible customer service and zero follow through.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This is the worst homeowner insurance I have ever had! My washer has been broken for over 2 months now and my claim is still sitting with the HMS research department. It took a month before they authorized someone to come and troubleshoot. Two different companies have come and neither of them were able to fix it. Both of them did two visit. Every time they come I incur additional cost for someone to help in taking down the dryer since it sits on top of the washing machine. Every time I call the customer service line, I wait for over an hour just to speak to a person. I’ve been very patient but am now frustrated since to this day, I don’t know when my washing machine will be fixed!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This is at best a waste of your money. I have had three occasions to use the warranty and each was a disaster. 1) Furnace: Our furnace stopped working during an extremely cold evening - well below freezing. I called HMS to get service. There no emergency service. I would have to wait 24 hrs to get covered service. I put up with a freezing overnight only to get a call in the morning that the get ‘HMS Approved’ service company did not service our type of furnace. At this point I’m in danger of freezing pipes. I call HMS, wait LITERALLY OVER 2 HOURS ON HOLD and explained the situation to HMS (yeah – ummm don’t care. Rules is rules). So I called a REPUTABLE service tech and he came out within the hour and fixed the problem.

2) Dishwasher: scheduled a service call for the dishwasher. I had to wait a week to get ‘HMS Approved’ service guy to come out. So after waiting 4 hours for the service tech I called. Well sorry sweetie – he ain’t comin’! They called the evening before to confirm the appointment and then do not show up and do not call. I call HMS to reschedule… was on hold for OVER AN HOUR to discover they already rescheduled and didn’t bother to tell me. That appointment again several days away. That is awful considering they stood me up. Should be the next day at the least.

3) Plumbing: This is my favorite. Called about a plumbing issue. Service scheduled, plumber arrives 2 hours late with no calls. I had to call several times to see what was happening. A professional would call to inform of the delay but I guess HMS goes for cheap. Plumber cannot figure out the problem. He needs to bring an assistant to figure this out. OK – but he wants the $100 deductible which I foolishly give him. The next day HMS calls to say the plumber needs to remove wallboard to look at the suspect pipes. They don’t cover that work. HUH!?

So now… I am not a plumber but I am pretty sure you need to actually SEE the pipes to fix the issue. But that is not covered? THEN – I am informed that they might not cover the work anyway if it is caused by something other than normal wear and tear. Guess who decides – yeah correct! – the get ‘HMS Approved’ service tech BWAHAHAH! So I paid $100 bucks for a guy to say something is wrong. Well thanks Captain Obvious. What a scam.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I am disgusted at my experience with HMS Home Warranty company. I filed a claim the day our clothes washer broke, they gave us a time, and my wife took off from work. Repairman never showed up, then we called the home warranty company and it took over an hour to reach someone. When we finally did they gave us a number to call the service company. No one picked up and then it said the mailbox was full. The next day again spent an hour waiting to get through to the company and then they assigned our claim to someone else. Another day off waiting. Well at least they showed up, but only to tell us that he knows the problem and that he will contact HMS.

It has been over 3 weeks without a dishwasher and every time I call it takes 40 to 70 minutes to reach someone and then they tell me there is nothing they can do because they are waiting on parts. I asked them if they would just give me the money that it would cost to fix it and I would just go buy a new one so I could do our laundry and they said they could not do that. I ask to speak to a manager and was told one was not available. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO MY WORST ENEMY. RIDICULOUS AND IT FEELS LIKE I GOT SCAMMED OUT OF A $1000!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I am currently renting a townhouse while we build our home. I've made two claims through this company and they both have been horrible experiences. The first one - we scheduled a time for the afternoon and they called at 8am saying they would be here in a couple minutes (which sounds great! Except meetings at work had to be cancelled at last minute when I had already made arrangements to have the afternoon off to let them in the house). The second claim is the reason why I am writing a review. I placed a claim for a plumbing issue - 6 degrees outside and the pipes are frozen. Leaving us with ZERO hot water in the house. They contracted out a plumbing company that was scheduled to stop by today 12-4pm (again I moved my work day around). At 4:30pm no one has been to the house nor have they called/returned any of my calls.

After being on hold for 15 min with HMS - they tell me there have been huge issues with claims and they never got my claim even though I had a confirmation email of the date, time and which plumbing company was being sent to me. HMS told me that they don't have record of the email they sent to me and that "there was no way of you knowing we were having computer issues". The lady wasn't helpful at all. I waited two days for this claim to process... in the middle of winter. And now I have to take ANOTHER day off work and hope someone shows up to give us hot water. I WOULD NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My hot water heater died and leaked water in my basement on 12/16; I went through a series of phone calls with various customer reps at HMS Warranty to find a service provider who could come out to fix. After not being able to locate a vendor who could come out in a timely fashion or one who was within a close geographic region (they gave me one provider who was 45 minutes away! and I live in a major metro area with 1000's of local plumbers) HMS finally referred me to their Honor Code program where I find the plumber and get preauthorization through another 1-800 # they provided which is through Cross Country Home Services. The two days in between finding a plumber, we were without water to the whole house because I had to shut the main water supply off to prevent further flooding.

The plumber I contacted spoke to the rep as directed and after 20 minutes of back and forth on the phone, he received authorization to replace my water heater. I was instructed to pay the invoice and that reimbursement would be sent within 10-14 days. I was also given the amount they would reimburse which was not the full amount of the water heater installation (it was around $400 less). After 14 days pass and no reimbursement, I call to get a status and I'm told they have no notes of the providers/plumbers Service Report (a report they never asked the plumber to provide).The lady I speak with on the phone tells me the plumber now has to call the authorization phone number again to get info on how to submit this report but she can provide me no further info, she also tells me I need to send a copy of the invoice to an email address she provides which was never previously provided.

So now I am calling various customer service numbers to include a direct phone # of a customer service rep who gave me her # to only hear a recording that there is over a 20 minute wait times to speak to someone/anyone who can help. This warranty service is a total scam. I think they purposefully make you wait days for a service provider to fix your issue in hopes you just go away and then they bounce you around to multiple reps who mysteriously take no notes of your conversation. Lesson learned... Make sure you record all phone conversations as it's likely they will "lose" your information/authorization so they don't have to pay the claim!!! Total boondoggle!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

First of all it's $100 per service call and no matter how many times they come out they won't replace the appliance. My daughter has them too, and that's what happened to her. The fridge leaks constantly, it has duct tape holding the door together and they just keep coming out and fixing the leak for a week and then it's back. She is now just going to buy a new one.This is crazy. She has paid a lot of money for each service call deductible, and could have bought two refrigerators by now instead. Secondly, I called three weeks ago and put in a claim but never received a call to schedule a service call. So I called them today to find out why and they had the wrong phone number on file. It was one digit off... understandable. I'm ok with that, but I ended up on the phone with them 3 times today!

Once on hold for over an hour, then they disconnected me! Finally the third time I used an option that asked if I wanted to get home warranty servicing thinking they may actually answer quicker, and they did, but all just to cancel a service call for tomorrow. But only to find out that the person who set up the service in the first place got a company that's several hours away from me!? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have shown up anyway. So practically 2 & 1/2 hrs of wasted time on the phone today! On a good note the one man and lady I spoke with were very friendly! The other gentleman I could hardly hear or understand.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I had a sewer backup in my basement Saturday October 21st 2017 about 10:00 A.M. It was sickening. I could not use my toilets or any running water for fear of more backup in my basement. I called 12 different plumbing businesses but they were all closed. I left messages but only one called back. He said he could come out in 4-6 hours from when I called. Once I secured a contractor to come out I called HMS to see if this was covered. They said that it was but they said they didn't have anybody in my area and to use the contractor I had secured. They asked that the contractor call them before doing the service to get it approved.

He called them and gave them all the information they wanted. HMS had a supervisor approve the work due to the nature of the situation. They asked that I email them an invoice once the work was complete along with other information, and they would send a reimbursement check. The plumber cleared out the sewer backup and I cleaned up the mess after he left. I did this exactly as HMS asked. One month later they sent an email saying my email was received and to wait 7-10 days for processing. I never heard from them again. I called them 4 times asking when the reimbursement check would be sent.

The customer service rep could not tell me anything useful about the claim. They just kept saying it takes 7-10 days for this and that and could not tell me anything specific about the claim such as was a check mailed to me. Most of them could not even find my claim until I told them all the specific numbers and dates. Their website was useless and didn't even show my claim as active or what the status was.

Right now the claim is not even visible on their website. If I call I'll just get the same useless answers. The last word I received was that I should wait till December 28th and call again if I did not receive the check. I did not receive it. I don't know what to do other than to warn people that this is not an honest company and to avoid them. Here I am almost two and a half months later with no reimbursement check.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have had HMS Home Warranty for the last 4 years. Recently our dishwasher went out and they sent Doran construction out to take a look at my dishwasher. The guy came out and looked at my dishwasher and said that it needs a new circuit board. He said he will order it and he'll be back out in a week. After 3 weeks the guy still didn't call me or come back so I contacted him. Lo and behold he shows up at my house a few hours later saying, oh the part just came in today, yeah ok.

After spending an hour in my kitchen he says the dishwasher is broke you'll need a new one. I asked them what do I do next. He said he will contact HMS and let them know. I called HMS sat on the phone 40 minutes waiting and had a guy tell me that we have to wait for him to turn in his report and normally it takes companies about 24 hours. Okay fine. Still didn't hear back from HMS so I called them a week later. Sat again on hold for about 35 minutes and the lady that picked up was extremely rude and told me there is nothing that I can do and that Doran construction told them they are waiting on a part. I told her that the guy said that the dishwasher is shot and that I need a new one. She said well there's nothing that they could do. So I'm out $100. Please avoid this company at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have been without heat for a month now. I had to keep calling for updates because nobody contacted me in reference to the necessary repairs. I don't feel like a valued customer with the company. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that it would be 24-48 hours for them to return my call but I never got one. The company that came out has not followed up on my situation. The temperature in South Carolina has dropped tremendously and I still don't have any heat. I am a very unhappy customer with the treatment that I have been receiving since you all receive your payments on time.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have had to deal with this company twice in the last 3months. First, my ac went out. They didn’t contact a technician until almost 3 weeks after claim so we had it fixed ourselves. Now, we wake up with no heat in house. I call and they tell me they are sending urgent request to service provider, but when I called service provider, they had no knowledge of this claim. Gratefully they are on the way I also asked abt the HVAC claim I made in late September. I sent them all my documentation and proof of payment and I asked to speak to supervisor. The rep hung up on me and I’m now on hold for 50 minutes. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE.

I sent the receipt to HMS but they said Because they changed their id numbers between the time I made claim to now looking for reimbursement, I was just told they couldn’t do anything for me. I have since sent in the issue with the new claim number but I do not expect much from them. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have had my home warranty with HMS for almost one year now and the customer service has gotten from bad to worse over this time period. The agents will tell you items are covered or that multiple items are covered under the same deductible...only to find out later that’s not the case. HMS will apologize for “bad information” I was told but do nothing to make it right and instead stick me with a much higher invoice compared to what their agents initially said was covered. It’s really, really bad. The customer service is as bad as I’ve ever experienced. I’ve complained on multiple claims and they don’t seem to care. Do not buy a home warranty from HMS. You will regret this if you do.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My water heater broke and I filed a claim to HMS via phone. They quickly made an appointment with a technician for me. The guy came to take a look at the water heater and determined that it needed to be replaced. I waited a week to allow them time to process the claim however I did not receive any form of communication from HMS nor the contractor company. Then, I called HMS to follow up and they told me that they hadn't received the report from the contractor and they would contact the contractor to obtain the information.

I asked them to get my update since we had been waiting and we had not had hot water for weeks during the winter. The representative told me that the research team would call me and let me know. No one has called. I called them back twice after my conversation with the rep to follow up and I received the same answer: "The research team will call and let me know." They acknowledged that they are 2.5 weeks behind but they would not give me an estimate when they would have a result of their research. It has been 4 weeks since I placed the claim. I still have not received any kind of communication from them and we are still waiting for my water heater to be fixed/replaced.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I Initiated a claim on Nov 16. For a defective burner and a range. A tech was dispatched shortly there after couple days. He proceeded to try and locate a replacement burner. They found out it was Mfg discontinued part. That service order got cancelled and another tech shows up to do the same thing previous tech had done. Started whole process over again. Now it's Nov 28. HSM proceeded to do their internal process going through research and authorization. I have been calling customer service every week or so with same answers. No update from research nobody telling me anything. It is now Dec 27th still nothing new.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This company is a fraud. I called multiple times for a clothes washer and I was on hold for over an hour. When talking they said they would call back within 24 - 48 hours and they never called. This same thing happened with my air conditioner except we did get a call back about 3 weeks later from an air conditioner contractor asking if we needed service. You can't talk with supervisors and if you have an emergency it's useless. They will not help you.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I’ve had an HMS Home Warranty since 2012. My 20+ year old water heater recent started to leak from the bottom and flooded my basement. Two plumbers quickly concluded that the unit needs to be replaced. Yet this process has dragged on and the past several weeks of dealing with HMS have been a NIGHTMARE!!!! The customer service wait times can be upwards of 45 minutes. And after waiting 45 minutes if you are disconnected, they won’t call you back… you have to endure another long wait to speak with a new person. There is NO follow-up. I’ve been repeatedly told that a representative would call me at various points over the past several weeks. No one has EVER called. I’ve requested to speak with a supervisor several times and was told that they were too busy to take my call but that someone would follow-up with me. Again, no one has EVER called.

HMS Home Warranty is dishonest. They claimed they were unable to find a service provider for my claim after several days. On a whim, I decided to initiate new claims in an attempt to identify a service provider through their system. I was able to immediately schedule appointments with three. After pointing out that the shut off valve is still allowing water to flow into the unit… and leak out in my basement, I was told that my claim would be given an emergency status upgrade. I followed up two days later to find out that the upgrade never happened.

It has taken them an outrageous amount of time (several weeks) to authorize my claim… and I’m still not entirely sure it’s authorized. After the service call, my claim has been in a black hole of the HMS authorizations and research departments. It has now been weeks and customer service just keeps saying “someone will call you.” At best, this is a really poorly run company. At worst, this is scam. Either way, I would strongly recommend against selecting HMS Home Warranty for your home warranty needs.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

In the course of doing routine maintenance to my oil furnace, it is discovered the oil pump is bad. The company doing the work can do the fix and can get the part that day (Dec 20), but cost is $450. I call HMS Warranty saying I have this problem, I have a guy on site that can do the fix today - they tell me none of their providers can do the work before Christmas, but they will find another one for me. I give them the name of the guy IN MY HOUSE as a possible contact. Get called that evening with a new company that will come out - he comes out the next day (Dec 21) collects $100 deductible, confirms the problem is legit and leaves. Calls HMS and they tell him they have to ship him the part and it will get there after Christmas. I have no heat in my house and now won't have it until after Christmas.

I call HMS, obviously not happy and they tell me since they can get the part for $40, they will only cover up to $100 in addition to $100 I have already paid, so I can have it done on my own, but they won't be able to do it until after Christmas. If they would have just told me that to start with, I wouldn't have run through this, but they caused me and my five kids stay in a house for 2 nights with no heat because they can only worry about their bottom line. Their service in the past has been hit or miss, but this is just insane. Calling the first technician to see if he can install the part today (22 Dec) so I can spend Christmas in our house. We luckily have a fireplace, and that keeps the temperature around 65 in the house.

For our area (Southern Maryland), they have been good for appliance repair, but horrible with anything Heating or air conditioning related. They don't have local technicians and they squeeze the ones they do hard. All of the technicians who I have been sent have been professional. I should not be squeezed over a heating issue 5 days before Christmas. I called them to explain the situation and my concerns, and they let me down. If they could have just told me that they couldn't do it when I first called them, I would have been ok with that, but they insisted on wasting my time.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I am at 14 days today without heat or hot water and I can't get past the script of the customer service reps to a supervisor. First they could not find someone who could work on my system. Then it went to research to decide if they were going to repair or replace and know it is finding parts!!! It is Christmas weekend and maybe a supervisor will call back in 24 to 48 hours! Which is a joke because the last time I was told that was last Sunday so I'm at 60 hours now and still haven't gotten a call!!!

I was supposed to hear back from tracking on the parts but never got that and when I called today I was told it was in research again!!! The biggest joke is the plumber they eventually got to do the work had already tracked the parts and was just waiting for an approval to do the work. If my plumbing freezes they will be responsible for all the repairs. I should give the bill for the electric heats I had to buy and am running 24/7. Stay away from HMS Home Warranty! When it really matter they fail miserably!!! Merry Christmas to all and stay warm!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Our refrigerator broke four weeks ago and HMS has failed in addressing the issue at every turn. They dropped our appointment the first week, then sent a tech that couldn't work on the fridge, then spent two more weeks failing to find another. We finally found our own technician who gave his report day of, and now it's been a week and we still have not heard back about a decision. I have spent at least a dozen hours on the phone with them, and am met with either indifferent or helpless customer service reps every time. We could have bought a new fridge with the amount we have spent eating out by now. The company is absolutely not worth it!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

About 5 months ago I was speaking to Sears Repair Services about an appliance problem at which time I was sold an extended warranty for all my appliances. Last month I accidentally broke a door latch on my microwave and called Sears On November 8th. I finally had the door latch repaired on Dec 18 (part cost $34 and labor $175) my deductible $75 plus my monthly fees of $50... a few days after I had called for the Microwave. My freezer fan was making a lot of noise and I gots no error message. Called Sears to schedule an appointment.

Today is Dec 21 and I had 3 technicians (mom-pop companies contracting with HMS/Sears) to Diagnose the problem. Today I am being told that there is now a 4th company that I need to schedule with. It’s been 6 weeks without a freezer and still no repair in sight. Supervisors are never available and I have been hung up on... transferred back and forth without any success! I will file a complaint with BBB as well!!! 1 Star is excessive!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

We had been with HMS for three plus years. For the most part, they had been responsive and fair with handling issues we had, Until Recently. This ALL STARTED October 22, 2017 and Went on until December 8, 2017. We had a dryer switch go out. I called and filed a service request as I usually had. This time I was told I had to call the service provider myself to “make arrangements”. I had not had to do this in the past but reluctantly I called. As expected the service provider told me HMS had to call because they would have answers to questions I could not answer.

I called HMS and told them what I was told. They became agitated with me and said they would get back with me. I didn’t hear back for a few days so I called them back. I was told a service had been scheduled and that a technician would be in touch with me to set up a time and date. I waited all day for the technician to arrive. He never did. No one called to let me know. I was told the technician had a family emergency. I found out later that they decided to cancel my scheduled appointment because they were running way behind that day.

I called to reschedule and was told a technician would be calling me. I sat and waited again, no one showed. This happened three times. I called HMS to ask why this kept happening. They said they didn’t have any notes showing I called. I kept notes with dates, times and length of call. I spoke to Diane November 12th, Bradly November 16th (He hung up on me), Jasoni November 20th, Martha November 21st (Twice). Each time I was told I either didn’t have a scheduled service or that it had been canceled. No one could tell me why this kept happening. When I tried to find out why I was hung up on by Bradly. He said it was his job to make sure they showed up but he didn’t have an answer for me. So, he hung up on me.

The situation was finally resolved after the technician didn’t show up three different time. When the technician did show up he didn’t have the parts he needed. They mailed the parts to me and then not a word for two weeks. I requested someone come out and fix the problem. After they fixed the switch the technician told me I needed to fix the venting of the dryer. He also told me I would need another service call to fix the washer problem he found. I called to schedule the second service call and they told me they wouldn’t fix the washer because the dryer vent was in need of repair. When I informed them, I had fixed it they said they didn’t believe me. I offered to take pictures and send them to them.

They finally agreed to send the technician to fix the washer. I lost three days of work, spent a total of (12) twelve hours on the phone either on hold waiting to talk to someone or on hold waiting for the person on the phone to track down information. I decided to cancel my service plan with HMS. I CALLED TO CANCEL, RELUCTANTLY. I spoke to Mrs. **, after being on hold for (2) two hours, being sent to Sears service center and then calling back in. Mrs. ** told me they know they have problems but that’s the way it is and I will just have to deal with it like everyone else.

I asked her if what I experienced was now going to be a typical experience. She would not answer. She told me she could not assist me in canceling my contract and sent me to Janessa. This individual was rude and impatient. When asked why I was canceling, I said, I wouldn’t if they would compensate me for my lost time and the over a month of phone calls and over (12) twelve hours of time on the phone. She said it wasn’t her problem.

I would have stayed with HMS if they would have been able to tell me the problems were temporary or unusual. If they would have apologized and offered a free month or two of coverage. Instead I was told this was the way it was and I would have to deal with it like everyone else. What they told me was HMS could care less about customer service and it was going to get worse, much worse. I am now researching WARRANTY Companies and have narrowed my search to three American Home Shield, American Preferred and First American Home Warranty. All they had to do was care, they don’t care. This is true and accurate to the best of my recollection and notes.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

When our hot water heater broke, we were very pleased with HMS and their service provider. However, our dishwasher broke two weeks ago, causing thousands of dollars of water damage, and it has been a nightmare. They sent out a service provider that left our dishwasher in pieces around our kitchen and then despite their website and our warranty decided the issue with our dishwasher was not covered. They won't give me any information, so we are out the $100 deductible, have a dishwasher in pieces, and have no explanation on the issue. They deceptively state that dishwashers are covered and then find a reason to not cover the appliance. I think this is unlawful and deceptive. Pick another home warranty company if you have the choice.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information

1625 NW 136th Ave
Sunrise
FL
www.hmsnational.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use