3.26/5
Based on 1,121 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

HMS offers plans for all stages of home ownership. While there are some limitations in standard coverage, all essential items are covered, and a variety of add-on options are available to customize your plan.

PROS

• Customizable coverage for buyers
  • Emergency lodging reimbursement
  • No waiting period for sellers
  • Plans for all real estate stages

CONS

• High deductible
  • Full coverage subject to add-on fees

Top HMS Home Warranty Reviews

01/26/2019

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. [The plumber] assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them...

03/08/2019

I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked.

HMS Home Warranty plans

Buying a home can be intimidating, but a home warranty can give you peace of mind and reduce the cost of expensive repairs or replacements. HMS Home Warranty offers plans that cover all of the major systems in your home, from plumbing and electrical to the HVAC system.

HMS offers plans to customers nationwide through more than 40,000 local service representatives and offers 24/7 customer service. HMS offers the following types of warranty plans:

• Seller: Designed for someone selling a home that wants coverage while the home is on the market. Covers major appliances and systems.
  • Buyer Conversion: Begins with the seller while the home is on the market, then is transferred to the buyer once the home is purchased.
  • Buyer Direct: Can be purchased by a home buyer at the time of closing. HMS offers advanced coverage only available for buyer plans.
  • New Home: Coverage begins one year after the sale closes, which is typically when a builder’s warranty would expire.
  • Open Direct: This plan is for existing homeowners. Anyone can purchase this type of plan at any time. Becomes effective 30 days after the plan is purchased.

HMS Home Warranty cost

The average cost for an HMS Home Warranty is around $40–$50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. Their service call fee, the amount you’ll pay for a technician to come to your home (also known as a deductible) varies by region.. The Premier Upgrade Plan is available for an additional $89 of $99 each year, depending on where you live.

Because prices vary by location and plan selected, to get an accurate quote for your home, you’ll need to request a quote directly from HMS.

PlanStarting Monthly Cost
Buyer$37 ($449/year)
Seller$32 ($449/year)
New Home$46 ($549/year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

HMS Home Warranty coverage

HMS covers a good selection of home systems and appliances. Coverage availability may differ slightly between warranty plans, with homebuyers having the widest selection of coverage options.

All HMS Warranty plans cover:

• Kitchen appliances
  • Jetted tub
  • Sump pump
  • Water heater

Air conditioning, washer and dryer may also be covered depending on your location.

*Additional fee applies on seller plans

Optional coverage for home buyers:

• Outside gas lines
  • Outside sewer and water lines
  • Pools/spas
  • Septic tanks
  • Water softeners
  • Well pump systems

*Add-on prices range from $40-205 per item.

Premier Upgrade Package:
When purchased, the Premier Upgrade Package (PUP) will provide buyers with up to $1,000 of coverage for non-covered charges associated with a covered repair or replacement. It provides coverage for items not typically included in home warranty contracts like duct, electrical and plumbing modifications, code upgrades and permits.

3110 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased HMS Home Warranty the first time in 1995 and I have had them ever since in different areas of the United States. Our recent claim to them was for the stove and the heater which were at the same time. HMS sent out Sears to repair our stove. The oven wasn’t working and the part that went out was no longer available so it took almost a month to get my stove fixed. What was really sad was that the stove is not that old, but the part wasn’t available. So, they had to come back, take the part off and then ship it out and have it repaired. It worked fine though. The repairman was Jo-jo and he was absolutely wonderful and the greatest person that Sears’s could have sent out. He was caring about the wooden floors and about making sure he didn’t make a mess anywhere. It was a 5-star experience all the way through.

On the other hand, the repair person that they sent out for the heater was absolutely a nightmare. We had problems from the beginning with him just not following up and not saying what he was gonna do. He came out, looked at the heater and said it needed three parts. He got the okay from HMS to get the parts and put them on but it was almost impossible to get him to come back and to answer his phone or give us a straight answer. When he finally came back out, the most he brought in was one screwdriver to work on the unit and there were no parts. He came in, went downstairs, started looking at the unit again and said the unit was really rusty and bad. He also said that the whole unit was shot and that we were lucky we were not getting carbon monoxide poisoning because the unit was in such bad shape. So, he said he would have to turn off the gas to the unit.

I asked him to show me where the rust that he was talking about was. From what he showed me, the rust in the unit was like a penny size and I could have taken a Brillo pad and lightly remove the rust. He then turned everything off and asked us if we had a Shark vac and we said no. He went to his truck and got a Shark vac and vacuumed up the little water that they had that took between 20 and 30 minutes. Then, he left and sent HMS a report saying that we needed a whole new unit. I kept on texting him back the next day to see if he got an answer and when he was coming back. Before he left my house on a Thursday, he would have the unit for Saturday and he would come around Saturday noon to replace it.

Once he did that, I started texting him on Friday to see if he got the okay and he told me that he’d call me back as he was online with the company. Four hours later, I never got a return call. I texted him back and called him many times but I never got an answer. So, I called the warranty company on Saturday at around 4 o’clock in the morning. I didn’t feel comfortable with him because I felt like he was ripping us and HMS off. At the same time that I’m calling HMS, my husband decided to do research on the guy and he found out that there were people that were trying to get his physical address so they can send out warrants for his arrest because he defrauded them out of so much money.

Apparently, the repair guy had another company named a different name. There were really bad reviews and even one of the reviews was someone that had the same warranty company as HMS. At first, when we told the rep that we found the guy within seconds on the internet with so many bad reviews, we were told that they didn’t go by what was reviewed on there until I told them that HMS was coming up and the kind of experience this person had. The review was a very ugly one and how the person would never use them again.

The girl that I talked to at 4:00 in the morning said that nobody was available and that she'd have someone call me back after 8:00. Then, someone called me back after 8:00 and I told her that I really wasn’t comfortable with the repair person coming back into my house and we would prefer somebody else. I was told that I couldn't just stop in the middle of everything. I asked her who will be responsible if the repair person comes back and changes the unit and screws up and the rep told me that it would be me who has to go back and get recourse to get it straightened out. I told her that I don’t want the person in my house. I then started telling her furthermore that the guy said a new unit is needed and he did not even try to put one of the three parts he ordered so how could he know if he even fixed the heating system. The rep said that the guy was charging them for the parts and for the repair.

Since I know a bit about mechanical things, I said that there was nothing seriously wrong with our unit. After the guy left, we saw a bug that died in one of the lines and it was the reason why the water was sitting there as the heating system got clogged. We pulled the bug out with a tweezer. The rep checked and we wound up with a really nice guy named Calvin. Then, we had another company come out and when the guy came out, he said that he had to pull all the parts back on that he took off. We told him about the problem with the line so he blew all the lines out. He explained to us that if one of the lines were clogged and with the way the system works, it would click off. It would not also come on if a line is clogged. So, he hooked everything back up and the unit worked fine.

The guy sent Calvin a report saying that everything was fine and that he didn’t see it needing a new unit. He didn’t see the rust that the guy was saying. He also said the only thing that he thought was that in the near future, probably the igniter might go out. So, Calvin asked us if it was okay that they change the igniter since it looked like it was getting ready to go out. He changed the igniter and it had been a couple of months and we have had no problem.

The unit was gonna cost HMS over $3,000 by the time the first guy would install it and we were told that he could change it within two hours. The other guy said there was no way, not with all the work that would have been done. We got the problem resolved and it ended very well. I would still recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend but I would explain to them that if they feel like something is wrong, they should explain it to the person. I wouldn’t want anybody to have the experience that I had.

HMS Home Warranty response

Terrin, We’re glad to hear that your claim got resolved, but sorry to hear about all the confusion with the provider. We appreciate your recommendation. Have a great day! - Amanda

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

The seller of the house purchased HMS Home Warranty and had the coverage for the water heater and stuff during the sale of the home. Filing a claim hasn't been too bad. The contacting of the warranty company is a bit different. It's kinda between two companies. But for the most part, it has been fine. The house that we purchased wasn't being used regularly prior to being put on the market. So, there were some things that might have gotten worse throughout. So then when I started using everything regularly, they started backing up. And I've been a bit unlucky with the techs they've sent out, so far.

I had a plumber service that came and I wasn't overly impressed with them. The plumbing company that HMS uses in this area have reviews online that are really, really bad. It's all for warranty works. I don't know if there are also warranty for other companies other than HMS. But all the Yelp reviews and online reviews are pretty bad. I tried to cancel my appointment and see if it would reassign me to another company, but it just reassigned me a second time to the same one.

The people that came didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. They left a mess in the house after they cut the hole in my kitchen and then they disappeared for two hours without telling me where they were going or when they would be back. They got lost trying to find the place. So, I had to contact the warranty company to say that they were beyond the window I was given and that they said that they were on their way and nobody was there. Only then did they reach out to the company and found out that the driver was sitting in a parking lot in my neighborhood but not in the right area. Fortunately, the problem was something very small, so they were able to handle it. It would be nice if there was another option for that sort of service. Hopefully, I will never need it again for any plumbing related issues.

One of the issues they deemed is some sort of negligence that must have been done by the previous owner. The technician that came for the dryer said that it appeared that there were some dents and things inside that appeared that the previous owner was probably doing too large a load. And that probably is what eventually caused its crack. I sort of understand where the company is coming from. That there was probably heavy abuse prior to us taking ownership of it. I bought the house and did the inspection. So, anything that wasn't found during the inspection, I expected to work 100% properly. But the dryer works fine. It's just a little louder than normal.

The washing machine was a bit of a surprise. It's kinda frustrating at this point. I hardly had any problems with it for the first two months. And then now, it keeps trying to recycle it to like rinse again, so it won't ever spin it. If I wanna switch it to the dryer, I have to dry it like three times because it's soaking wet. The claim was supposed to be set up but I never received a notification of a change. When I got on the application for Sears that says, "Your appointment is today, track your driver," it stated that my appointment was now for a different day, even though the email reads, "Your appointment is for today." I called them and they said they didn't know why it happened, but the only thing they could assume is that the driver fell behind and was gonna be unable to make the appointment. Hopefully, it's something minor that they can fix on the spot.

Another problem I had is I tried to do more than one claim on the same day and they weren't able to tell me if I would be able to get the same technician that could handle multiple repairs. They gave me three separate delivery windows when I called the day of and then they combined two repairs to one mechanic without telling me. So, it deleted one of my time zones. I was waiting on somebody to show up and obviously not at work because I was waiting on three technicians.

Then, the same person had to get parts ordered for my microwave and my stove. But then they didn't allow him to do both repairs on the same day. So, he only had a certain amount of time allotted to fix my stove. He was unable to fix my microwave. He had to come back a week later to fix my microwave which was another week of not being able to use my appliance. And another day I have to not be at work or been on-call to make sure I'm home for it. If they could just be a little bit more in line on stuff like that, that would be obviously beneficial. But I was just happy that I knew the process was in motion.

Every other experience thus far has been good. The technicians at Sears really know what they're doing. They send me an automated text message to let me know they're on their way. They've also called me when they were on their way to make sure that in case I didn't get the message right away because sometimes they said that the text messages could come 10 or 15 minutes behind when they're actually coming. So, I've been very impressed with all the Sears technicians that I've had to deal with. Also, for the most part, I've been happy with the results. The automated system is really easy to use.

HMS Home Warranty response

Charles, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with the service we provided. - Amanda

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I’ve had three claims with HMS. One was for my refrigerator. When we first moved in, it was leaking. And that was a fine experience with HMS. We had a technician come out and he fixed it right away. The second experience was my washing machine. I had someone come out, look at it and order a part. We had to wait a month for them to fix it. It was inconvenient, but they fixed it. The technicians were great. The first technician was wrong and his first diagnosis was wrong. The guy who came out to fix it with the part said, “The first one was wrong. He didn’t even need to wait for the part.” So, that ended up having a whole month wasted. But it was fine. It was fixed, which is what counts.

And so, the third experience was just last week with the heating system. That was an awful experience with the technician that came out. I called HMS on Saturday. The technician came out on Thursday and he was so rude. Once I told him I didn’t wanna buy a new system, he told me that HMS wouldn’t cover any of my claims if I didn’t right then buy a new system through him and that once he left my house, I would lose all my benefits from HMS. And so, he was pressuring me. He said it would be $1,000 they would pay towards my new system. They wouldn’t buy me a new system, but they would pay towards it. So, I was like, “I don’t wanna lose $1,000.” He was pressuring and then he said, “You can set this all up, and then when your husband comes home from work, you can talk about it. If you change your mind, you can just still call and cancel.” So, I said okay.

He ran my credit, and I talked to a lady on the phone. She said, “Okay, you’re approved.” I asked, “There are no repercussions that I change my mind, correct?” She said there was a restocking fee for all this equipment that I was ordering. I said he didn’t tell me any of this. I said I was told I could just change my mind. I said, “Forget this. I don’t want this line of credit. I don’t want anything to do with this. I don’t want a new system. I’ll call somebody else.” ‘Cause I wanted to be able to shop around for the best deal and research what system I wanted to get if I’m gonna purchase this new one.

He was saying I would lose everything no matter what if he left my house. He said, “Are you gonna believe the 16-year old secretary on the phone are you gonna believe me sitting here right in front of you?” I said, “I don’t know. I’m just telling you what she said. I want nothing to do with this. I’m gonna find my own way of doing this.” So, then he said, “She’s gonna be fired before I leave your driveway.” Then I said, “Just go ahead and go. Forget all this.” He left and marched out of my house. He never filed a report with HMS. I called HMS and they have no record he even was here. They never received a report from him. And then I thought I'd better call my bank.

I bank with Wells Fargo, and it was a no interest five-year loan for this thing. I said I was gonna call my bank back and maybe they could reverse the credit check that they did. So, I called and she said they definitely opened a $9,000 line of retail credit on my account. I called HMS and they wanted me to do all this stuff like take a picture of his report. They had no record he was here. And then, I talked to my bank, and they had escalated it to a fraud claim for A-Advantage.

The tech also lied to me about the age of my unit. He told me my unit was from 2007 and it’s from 2012. He tried to tell me my unit was too old to replace, that it would be too much repair, that’s why I needed to get a new one. But when the second technician came out that I called, he said, “He lied. It’s a 2012.” Then I called A-Advantage today ‘cause they were closed over the weekend and they said, “He didn’t know. He just misread the label.” I’m like, “Oh, you can read a label. I don’t know how old the system is, but how are you diagnosing what’s wrong with my system?” And I had it fixed within 20 minutes. The technician came out from the other company and fixed it in 15 minutes. It was a faulty wire.

HMS themselves has been very courteous. They have been great to deal with and it's not their fault at all. It’s this other company that they sent out. So, I would highly recommend that HMS screen their companies better and have a higher standard to what they do. Other than that, they’ve been fine. They also give really great texts that follow up with us and ask if I need any help. I get good email communication as well.

HMS Home Warranty response

Debbie, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. If you need further assistance with any claim, please respond with your full property address. - Austin

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Our realtor recommended that we get HMS Home Warranty when we bought the home, so we did. We've had to use it a number of times and it has benefited us tremendously. It has definitely been worth our money. We've had a claim at least once every year and overall, it has always been outstanding. However, this year has been the worst. We never have any issues except we have a dishwasher claim that we can't seem to get settled, and that has been our only complaint. I filed the claim in August and the first thing they tried to do was order the part. The maintenance guy that came out ordered the parts, but a different guy came out when the part came in, and that guy said, "That's not even the right part."

He said that he didn't know if they can get the part that we really need. He tried to order the part, but after a long while, I had to call a couple of times to see what was going on, and they that they couldn't get the part. They said they would just replace the dishwasher. They sent me an email saying, "This is what you'll get. You just need to verify the size, make sure it'll fit," so we did that. They showed up with a new dishwasher and the guy delivering the dishwasher came in. The first thing he did was measure and he said that the new dishwasher wouldn't fit. I said, "How can it not fit. It's exactly the same size of the dishwasher that we have now." But he refused to get it off the truck saying it would not fit.

I called my husband, who wasn't home at the time, and he said, "That's crap! It'll fit. It's the same size dishwasher we have.” He was on his way home, but the guy literally refused to get the dishwasher off the truck saying it wouldn't fit and that we'd have to reorder the correct size. He made me sign a piece of paper and a woman called me immediately just to make sure that I was returning it. I flat out told her that my husband said that it would fit, but the guy wouldn't get it off the truck and he said it was not the right size. My husband was around the corner as they were pulling out and he stopped them. Once again, he told them it would fit, but the guys refused and said it wouldn't.

A lady just called me on Saturday, but I was at work so I didn't catch the call. She left me a message saying that they couldn't get a replacement dishwasher for some reason and that they would have to send me a check, but they were gonna charge me the restocking fee. I tried to call back immediately and I got a hold of somebody else. She said that the supervisor wasn't available and I told her that I wasn't paying the re-stocking fee. I also said that the dishwasher would fit.

The supervisor that called and left a message was speaking very fast. I called back immediately and spoke with the representative, and she was super sweet. She said she was gonna note it all, but she said that the supervisor was supposed to call me to make a second attempt to get in touch with me, although I haven't heard from her yet. We are still in the midst of trying to figure out the dishwasher. It was such a simple claim. It has been back and forth and my husband was really irritated with the guys who delivered the dishwasher.

We are still fighting with the whole dishwasher situation. Still, other than that, we had to have our AC replaced and we had problems with our heater a month ago. Everything else has been fast and no problems and we've been very happy with the services. Whenever I call HMS and speak with somebody, it generally goes very smoothly and they are very friendly. I was generally been very happy with the service and I'm very grateful that I've had HMS. I definitely would recommend having HMS because people never know what's gonna go wrong.

HMS Home Warranty response

Karen, Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of the installation companies was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We got referred to HMS Home Warranty by our homes' seller. When people buy a house that's not new, they don't necessarily know what hidden broken things are gonna be. Plus, the home warranty was something that the seller thought would be of benefit to getting the home sold. Thus, we've been customers of HMS since April 2010. However, we've recently thought about going to another company. We had two claims that were questionable. The first claim was a couple of years ago when we had a water softener that needed to be replaced. HMS had Home Resort as the people that would be fixing the water softener, but the guy was not appropriate. He tried really hard to not be offensive, but he was. You don't wanna have any kids or elderly people in your home. We had our teenager daughter here and she was scared. She ended up calling and saying, "Can you guys come home? He's cussing and screaming down in the basement." We had that episode.

We also had a problem with our garage door opener, so my husband called to report that it needed to be fixed and created a ticket. When HMS called, he told them that he didn't want Home Resort. They told him that there were no other repair people in our area. My husband said that it was fine and to have them come out and fix it. The Home Resort guy came out and said that the motor was bad, which we already knew. He said that he would get an approval from our warranty and we waited until the next week. In our experience before, the insurance approved it quickly, not something that took days and days.

My husband called and asked where we were at with the claim and told us that the guy said that our insurance hadn't approved it. So, I called HMS to find out where we were at. The rep said that we canceled, but I said that we didn't. The rep said that my husband didn't want Home Resort to come out, so we canceled, but I said no and that Home Resort already came out. I also said that I just wanted to know where we were and when it was gonna be approved, but she said that they canceled the claim. I told her that the guy came out and that I paid him my $100, and she said that she was gonna fix it.

She had canceled our repair order and I asked her multiple times to let me talk to a supervisor, but she refused. She kept telling me that she was gonna fix it for me, but I kept telling her no. I could tell that she did not understand what she was doing. So, I said that I needed to speak to someone else and that she was not helping me. She then connected me to someone else and when I spoke to that person, she said that she didn't know what was going on, but that in the notes, my claim had been canceled by the girl that I had just talked to.

The second rep had to resubmit everything and do something to get it approved, so it took us extra time. We waited three weeks before we got our garage door fixed. When I got transferred to the second girl who finally was helping, at that point, HMS should have contacted us because there was a significant problem on their end. The first girl should not have been working there. She did not know what she was doing and she created a huge mess.

The Home Resort guy came out and he told us that when we get the garage door opener and if we pay the $100, that just covers our warranty piece, but if we wanted to have two garage door openers, it was gonna be $30 more. We needed two garage door openers, one for me and one for my husband, so we said okay. However, I came to find out that he bought the one that came with two for $159, so we paid more than we should have. He was very shady and HMS should consider finding someone else. In the past, we've always had really good service. Usually, when we call, HMS had someone out here real quick. We've had trouble with our heater and they sent someone out right away. Our water heater had to be replaced and they've sent someone out right away. We've always had really good luck with claims until the last time that was pretty rough.

HMS Home Warranty response

Virginia, I’m glad we exceeded your expectations! We aim to provide excellent service even in unexpected situations such as yours. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it! – Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: July 16, 2019

This was the worst experience I've ever had as a consumer. Consistently provided inaccurate information about coverage, processing claims and information provided to service provider. I was not informed i needed to provide my home inspection report until a week after the claim was made. After 3 weeks a human being could not tell me if my emailed home inspection was received. I was told file size was not a problem as they receive large files all the time. It turns out that was the problem only they could not tell me that because no one can access the inbox. Yes, that's right - a human can't tell you if the email was received. No one could confirm that you in fact always receive an email confirming your message was received. This company also includes a waiver of class action or jury trial in its agreement. THE CONSUMER HAS NO RECOURSE!

HMS Home Warranty response

Chris- I can tell this experience has been extremely frustrating and we want to help. We have located your account and my team will review your claim to see how we can expedite getting your claim resolved. Christine

Original review: July 16, 2019

On August 30, 2018 my husband in I contact HMS Home Warranty to open a claim for Plumbing repairs. We were provided a service partner Abel Plumbing Service to contact. We contact Abel Plumbing because we had a leak coming from our upstairs bathroom down into our downstairs bathroom. Abel Plumbing advise they can come out and review our issue. However, there is a $100 service fee we must pay in cash. My husband and I said fine. Abel came to our home, looked upstairs in the tub area and reviewed the downstairs ceiling and stated we just need some more adhesive caulk around the faucet to prevent the water from going through the cracks from taking a shower and pushing the shower release.

My husband and I was a little skeptical seeing how he did not unscrew any plumbing items or cut holds around the leaking area to confirm his diagnosis. Nevertheless, the problem was not fixed. The area where the leak started, caused the ceiling paint to peel and now our ceiling is starting to bubble in that area. We called Abel Plumbing Service. No response. We left many messages but no returned calls. We contact HMS Home Warranty to see if they can contact Abel or provide us with another Plumbing company. HMS Home Warranty had no luck and told us we can contact our own local plumbing service and see if they will accept payment from HMS, and if they do not accept HMS for payment, prior to getting repairs we need to call in for approval for Plumbing repairs.

Regrettably, the repair amount was very expensive, and no one in our local city accept HMS Home Warranty for payment. Therefore, we had to wait until we can afford to pay the amount out of pocket or finance the repairs. On June 6th, 2019 Roto Rooter Plumbing & Drain Service Technician came out and advise they can do the following plumbing repairs for a Total $1,722.93. Technician Todd ** spoke to HMS Approval Representative Tony and went over every repair and cost in details. Tony from HMS approved the repairs and advise Todd to provide me with the completed invoice to receive reimbursement from them. Roto – Rooter Technician Todd completed the job and provided an invoice of the repairs being paid in full. I emailed HMS 06/07/19 including claim information as well as photos of the repairs.

The week of June 10th, 2019 I spoke to two representatives from HMS. I was advised the paper work was received and it will take four to six weeks to be processed. On July 12, 2019 I spoke to John who place me on hold for a long period of time to see if the reimbursement department received the invoice as he did not see it on his end. Finally, John advised the reimbursement department did receive the paperwork and told me to call July 16, 2019, if I have not received a reimbursement. I called July 16, 2019, and was advised by HMS representative they did not have the invoice and I need to send the information in. I ask to speak to a supervisor at this point because they are giving me the run around. I spoke to Abeau **.

The Supervisor contact the reimbursement department while I was on the phone and told me they need the breakdown and invoice. I asked the Supervisor to wait on the line, so I can resend the email with this documentation. The Supervisor confirm she received the documentation and if I would like to hold or be called back while the reimbursement department review the invoice. I told the Supervisor I will hold because I feel like I am getting the runaround.

The supervisor finally returned and advise there is one item on the invoice that they need to contact Roto – Rooters to understand as they do not cover this item. I stated to the Supervisor the gentleman from her company on June 6th, 2019 approved all the repairs and she can review the recorded call to confirm. Tony from HMS did not indicate any items shared with him was not covered. The Supervisor stated, “I understand, and they will pull the call and will call me back July 16, 2019 with an update about my reimbursement”. I am waiting to hear back and prepare to take this matter to court to receive my reimbursement.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jamie-I am sorry to hear about this experience. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. We have located your account and our team will investigate and follow up with you directly. – Dena

Resolution response: July 16, 2019

After discussing this with several other representatives today this claim has come

To a very fair resolution. Unfortunately it didn’t come sooner. I could have done without the dodging, on-hold time, long, frustrating phone calls, writing reviews, threatening cancellation, etc. I wish it wouldn’t have gotten to this point, but they did offer me a very fair resolution and for that I am thankful.

Original review: July 16, 2019

This warranty service is criminal. DO NOT BECOME A VICTIM OF THIS HOME WARRANTY SERVICE. It is a scam. They will tell you what you want to hear until they need to put out the money for your service job. My personal experience: I was a customer for six years and only claimed two jobs from them (probably paid more in my deductible then they paid out to the service providers for Freon recharges). Now that a larger service job has been submitted, I have gotten nothing but dodged by customer service, undercut by Pre-authorization management, stonewalled by their case management department, AND EVEN HUNG UP ON BY THEIR MANAGERS!!!

Here is the issue: Buyers, keep in mind that you will never be sure of your coverage until after the job is done. These cons have hidden terms in their authorization department for limiting your coverage. My ceiling fan labor was supposed to be covered. At least that's what I was told over the phone twice before it was installed. It needed 2 electricians to safely do the job at a 20’ ceiling. They undercut me and only paid for one of the electrician’s labor when the industry standard has two electricians perform this job for safety reasons. They also undercut the price of a replacement fan. Keep in mind I/you will get NO information about their payouts on replacements until you’ve (the customer) gone too far.

I thought that I covered myself with two phone calls prior asking these specific questions about coverage and the estimated charges. They wouldn't e-mail me the guarantee in writing, so I asked them to record it in my call notes. Needless to say, this didn't do me any good. The new 60” ceiling fan was $350, and their payout was $125. This kind of devaluation is ridiculous because you can’t find a replacement 60” ceiling fan anywhere online for $125. The cheapest/ugliest is $175.

Customer Service: I was on the phone for more than 5 hours over a three day period with several departments. Although friendly, they will make you be on hold for several minutes at a time (sometimes 20) to try to make you give up. If you want to speak to someone in management you will get dodged with things like: "they're on lunch right now", "they're unavailable on another call", or "they're unavailable, can they e-mail you?" In 6 days now, I've never received a call back. So I called to ask to to speak to a manager. I was on hold for 5 times, for a total talk time of 2 hrs and 5 minutes, only to be hung up on when I'm trying to get a reasonable result from management. My advice: Talk to your neighbors about home warranty experiences. Talk to the professional service techs that come out like I did as well. They will most likely tell you to save your money. THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS IN THE FIRST DEGREE. Stay away.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kevin, I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are specific terms which apply. In this instance your warranty addressed providing a comparable replacement unit or a cash allowance since we were unable to repair your current unit. When replacing a ceiling fan, the warranty covers replacing with a builder’s grade model, which performs the same primary function and standard labor to install. The height of your ceilings was the reason there was extra labor which is considered an access issue which is not addressed under the plan. The cash allowance is based on standard costs. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of your warranty booklet which was mailed to you upon enrollment. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding of the coverage provided. Respectfully, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2019

Contacted HMS for claim concerning our A/C unit on 06/28/19. Unit was manufactured in 1989, so it's 30 years old, well past its projected usable life, but what came with our home when we purchased it 3 years ago. HMS arranged service company, Naab Air Mechanical in Fairfax, VA, came 07/01/19, replaced capacitor for $125 deductible. Unit stopped functioning within 12 hours of work.

Naab Air Mechanical came 07/03/19, and said the issue was now fan motor. New part ordered and installed 07/12/19, though with having to also repair the fan itself. Unit worked for 1.5 hours before it again stopped functioning. Called Naab Air Mechanical, told to shut unit down for safety, and that it is now the condenser, though they did not return to diagnose that, so it's just a hunch basically.

Heat nearing 100 degrees in my area for foreseeable future, so house is uninhabitable with a 14 month child. Called both Naab Air Mechanical and HMS numerous times from 7/12 - 7/15, with a different answer each time. 7/15 Naab Air Mechanical emailed saying they submitted condenser claim, but that they also recommend $1,800 to replace the evaporator coil on the 30 year old unit.

Called HMS upon receiving that email, and after several holds and contact by HMS to Naab Air Mechanical, was informed that was only optional and suggested, so not covered. So I told them I'll just wait for that part to also break in however many hours or days, and then replace that too, since again, we're rebuilding a 30 year old unit one part at a time with basically educated guesses.

Inquired about lodging reimbursement since my house will be uninhabitable due to the heat. Told that there is no reimbursement, but they helpfully suggested that I pay for a hotel or ask to stay with friends, which is super helpful advice obviously. Then, magically, while still on the phone, Naab Air Mechanical sent in approximately $1,200 in unexpected non-covered charges for the part that they are GUESSING has gone wrong in their ongoing attempt to repair a 30 year old unit. The HMS representative wondered why they had not mentioned those to her on the phone 15 minutes prior, which I informed her is because the Naab Air Mechanical is ripping both HMS and me off. There's no mystery in that in the timing.

HMS told me that even though they didn't understand the $1,200 charges and why they weren't mentioned before, that it is my responsibility to contact the Naab Air Mechanical, the same company they contracted with in the first place, to find that out. I requested to speak with a manager, and told that was not possible, and that they would only tell me the same thing as the HMS representative I was already speaking to, and she assured me that she was very good at her job. While it felt good to know that she was good at her job, which appears quite frankly to be stonewalling, I still requested to speak with someone else, because nothing in this whole process makes any sense whatsoever. She informed me that she had to get permission to even request that I get a call back, and that even then it wasn't guaranteed.

At some point during the call, the HMS representative also mentioned getting a second opinion on what their chosen service technician recommended for the repair of a 30 year old unit. When I asked her to set that up then, she then informed me that they cannot do that, and that I needed to arrange for my own second opinion, at my own cost, and then send that second opinion to a group mailbox at HMS for consideration.

So this is a job well done in HMS' view. Keep that in mind should you choose to pay them money. I have since informed their technician that we are declining all services, and it appears that that message has reached HMS as the claim is now closed online. So I won't hold my breath for a phone call. That is the only way I have any choice or any say in this matter, which is to pay someone else who is reputable to do this job.

I WILL chose to never pay HMS another dollar of my money, and will recommend the same to anyone else that will listen. And if HMS tries to set you up with Naab Air Mechanical in Fairfax, VA, do not waste your time with them. The HMS response here will be quite interesting, as again this a job well done from their point of view.

HMS Home Warranty response

Andrew- Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. I have located your account and my team will complete a thorough infestation and give you a call as quick as we can. Thanks- Angela

Original review: July 13, 2019

We'd been HMS customers for seven years and had favorable experiences up until a few years ago. Since then, their customer service has been awful. They deny just about every claim, their service providers are borderline incompetent and they frustrate any attempt at follow up by constantly transferring us from department to department and having us repeat the same information until we're about to give up. Then once we get someone on the line, they're no help at all. Bottom line is they don't care. We won't be renewing and suggest that potential new customers steer clear. Using them is a complete waste of money.

HMS Home Warranty response

Patrick, We’re disappointed to hear you feel this way, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Please know that we value your opinion, and would like to further address any concerns you may have. Should like to hear from us directly, please respond with your full property address and the best time to reach you. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 13, 2019

Hey guys, do you love throwing money away, go without a fridge for a month, and get absolutely no help? This is the warranty for you. Apparently the only service provider they work with is Sears in my area. They have one provider that's bankrupt and has rescheduled my appoints 4 times for someone to even look at it. The technician vacuumed and told me, "That should do it, give it 12-24 hours to see if it works," lo and behold it's not working. Called this morning and the next available appointment is another week away, I've spoken with 2 supervisors and spent several hours on the phone being bounced around from department to department, and absolutely no help or offers on they can correct this for me. If you're looking for quality I urge you to go looking anywhere else because I'm not going to be using HMS and this will find it's way on several social media sites. Hope everyone that doesn't work for HMS has great day!

HMS Home Warranty response

Cole, We’re sorry to hear your claim experience is not what you expected it to be, and apologize for the inconvenience you’ve been caused. A member of our team has reached out to further address your concerns, and will remain in contact with you to ensure your claim is fully resolved. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 12, 2019

In 3 years I have filed 3 claims with HMS and each one they have found an excuse to not cover. I have been a customer of HMS for over 3 years and have been increasingly disappointed. I have kept the warranty only because of fear that I will have something break that actually cover. The most recent one involved my electrical panel where it overloads and then trips the circuit breaker. I again paid the technician the $100.00 for the service call. I fully expected HMS to cover this claim considering it was a simple circuit and breaker replacement. Of course they did not. I never saw the report, but when the I called HMS they said the claim was denied. I called back asking for a supervisor and then they again just stuck to the initial assessment, again which I did not see a copy.

The previous time my plumbing was backed up and it ended up needing a toilet replacement. Again they found an excuse to not cover the repair. The first claim was a for a failed microwave, and again they found an excuse to not cover the repair. Each time I paid out of pocket to replace or repair these items, plus the $100 deductible. I have read some of these reviews on this site and there are quite a few positive reviews. Is my experience just bad luck? It seems like they hold all the cards and can pick and choose which claims to pay and which to not. Is there any recourse I have to make HMS pay up?

HMS Home Warranty response

CJ- I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experiences were not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not qualify for coverage. We have located your account and will complete a thorough review of your claim to ensure you received the full benefit of your warranty. Thank you, Christine

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 11, 2019

The water pipe that feeds the hot water heater burst and we opened a service request. We called the company assigned, and they said they can come out after 3 days of the initial call. Till they come out we used a clamp and a rubber to stop the leak temporarily. When they come out they said the pipe has to be replaced and they will submit the paperwork to HMS. After a week no respond and I called HMS and I have been told since them the assigned company did not see the leak it would not be covered. This is the most absurd thing I’ve heard. Do we need to flood our house till we get service? And I was told by HMS to call the company to come out and have them see the leak. I called the company and they said they will not come out since they already submitted the paperwork. Talking about Catch-22. I’ve been a member of HMS since 2001 and recommended this company for friends and family. But the service I am getting now is unheard-of.

HMS Home Warranty response

Fekade- I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been less than you expected. Our records indicate that another service request was opened to have our service provider come back out and diagnose the water heater. A member of my team will follow up with you directly. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 10, 2019

My landlord uses this company... I waited approximately a week with below freezing temps in January for a furnace repair. Waited 5 weeks for a 10 min job on a washer, and am currently on day 11 with a central air unit that just needs a recharge with outstanding temps. The coolest the house has been is 86°. Sad and pitiful that I feel like these reviews are fake!

HMS Home Warranty response

Kelly, It sounds like we’ve let you down, I assure you this is not the level of service we intend to provide. I have located your account and my team will complete a review of your claim and follow up with you as soon as we can. Thank you - Austin

Original review: July 10, 2019

I've owned HMS warranty for 3 years- 1st year provided with home purchase and 2 years paid renewal. I've read the reviews before deciding my write my own and I can tell you the negative statements are absolutely TRUE. My family is currently without ELECTRICITY and WATER for days now as I type this review. July 8th 8a.m: Called HMS to report an EMERGENCY claim for electric service because our main panel also controls the water system. They weren't able to locate a technician.

12:30 pm Thankfully, AJL Electric Inc. owner Tony was able move schedules around and have a technician come out to my house quickly (their local and understand the severity of the summer heat in our area without having cooling and water). The technician checked the main panel, confirmed the main breaker was the source of the problem and tried to remove the breaker for replacement. This is a very old house, the breaker is build into the panel-can't be removed for replacement; the entire main panel box must be replaced. The technician called the owner with the results and walked him through all the components needed including pictures. We waited while the owner created the quote and provided it to the HMS for review/approval. I wrote my deductible check and handed it the technician, he would leave and return tomorrow with the parts to install; all contingent on HMS approving the claim.

2:30 pm- I received a call from the owner of AJL informing me that HMS denied the claim because of less than $30 cost of materials HMS didn't want to pay and HMS will reassign the job to another technician. You can imagine my disappointment, anger and disbelief HMS would jeopardize the health/welfare of my family for less than $30! I offered to pay AJL owner whatever the difference cost was just to have this job complete, he assured me the issue for him wasn't the $30 but that HMS has already reassigned the job but he's willing to talk things over with HMS because of the severity of this emergency.

I personally called 5+ times, each time speaking to a different representative, giving me the same answer "this claim is with our dispatcher and will be assigned when a technician is located" and my response is "how long would your family stay in a house with 90+ degrees/humidity temperate with no cooling system and water". It seems HMS doesn't understand what constitutes an EMERGENCY! I repeatedly told each representatives, AJL is very receptive to reviewing the quote in detail so it can be approved and the install can be completed. This was simply a 'lost cause', speaking to anyone at HMS results in false promises of supervisor callbacks- my phone record will show NO calls ever received from HMS and emergency technician will be dispatched-still waiting on a technician since AJL.

July 9th 8:00am- I received a call from AJL owner checking if I received a call from HMS because he received email from HMS with an approved $ amount but it was significantly lower than what he's able to accept. After our discussion, he agreed to call HMS to discuss the quote again to help me with getting this install complete (shocking that AJL is more concerned about my family than HMS). 9:10 am- Owner of AJL called back to inform the job was never reassigned to him and the email quote approval was invalid. To say I'm DISGUSTED with the handling of this EMERGENCY claim by HMS would be an understatement! 9:30 am- I'm back on the phone to HMS with numerous representative "this claim is with our dispatcher and will be assigned when a technician can be located". I hope these representatives never find themselves in an EMERGENCY situation and receive the same treatment they've given to me.

12:30 am- I receive call from NEW technician Air Quality Analysis owner Don. Don asked why the original Tech couldn't complete the job; I informed him the tech was able to complete the job but wasn't allowed to start since HMS denied the claim. Don asked to speak with the AJL tech,Tony agreed to the call from Don. Don (AQA) called me back after speaking with Tony (AJL) to inform me the price quote offered to HMS by Tony was more than fair and his price would be more based on the job and he would able to see me for at least 3 days. He planned on calling HMS to have them reassigned the job back to AJL because the price was fair and AJL has the time available for this EMERGENCY install. Don (AQA) called me back after providing the details to HMS (Rep noted all details) and advised me to call HMS to follow up (wished me luck with getting this resolved because again, he's local and is aware of the heat temperature).

12:45pm- I'm back on the phone with HMS relaying all the details of my conversation with Don (AQA) and that the notes should also be visible from Don's call. I'm pleading with every rep on each call to have the case reassigned to AJL so we can have power and water restored to our home but once again NO ONE CARES at HMS! What also seems to occur with each and every call is NO SUPERVISOR is EVER AVAILABLE to speak to me but can only provide a call back, which also NEVER HAPPENS... My phone records can confirm this FACT! The strange thing is HMS is ALWAYS AVAILABLE to accept payment of my premium and you NEVER need a callback for payment... How strange.

July 10th 9:30 am-I called HMS for a job status and to also inform them of the EMERGENCY situation regarding NO cooling during this hot summer temperature and NO water. Guess what I was told... "this clam is with our dispatcher and will be assigned when a technician can be located". I'm glad the rep had water and electricity this morning. 11:30 am- Still no help from any HMS representative or hope for a callback from a supervisor. In the meantime, my family has to drive to a club to purchase large 5 gallon bottles of water and large bags of ice. The health of my family is at risk due to the lack of HELP from HMS for a paid service. I'm reaching out to my homeowners insurance for guidance and will seek legal assistance.

HMS Home Warranty response

Z, I'm sorry to hear we've disappointed you. The service you've received is definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. I have located your account and my team will complete a review of your claim and follow up with you to assist. Thanks - Dena

Original review: July 9, 2019

On July 9, 2019 I requested a owner's code due to a leaking HVAC unit that is leaking water into another property below my property/condo. The property management contacted me to get it fixed today July 9 to avoid further damage to the unit below me. I called HMS several times to get an owner's code but to avail. I am constantly being told to wait 48 hours. Wait 48 hours and cause more damage that I will be responsible for? This is unbelievable as the longer the leak goes on the more damage I am causing for which I am responsible.

HMS Home Warranty response

Anthony, As we strive to provide our customers with superior customer service, we wish to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for calling this matter to our attention. I have located your claim and see that since this review we have located a vendor to come and service your HVAC unit. Should you need further assistance, please respond with the best time for my team to reach out. Thank you - Austin

Original review: July 9, 2019

We had two leaks in a cast iron waste line. We wrapped the larger crack with flex tape to prevent more water flowing out. We submitted a claim and the called the plumbing company that was contracted. The owner set up an appointment for the following day and told us that if it could be repaired they had a process for that. The next day the plumber called on the way to the job and asked what the job even was because all the information he had on his sheet was “plumbing”. Upon arrival he looked at the pipe and said that the fix was sanding down the rusty parts and applying JB Weld. Then we couldn’t use it for 24 hours. Obviously I did not let him patch the pipe with what I could have done in two minutes myself. This is the type of temporary fix that a homeowner would do while waiting for a plumber.

We have since had a real plumber come have a look and he confirmed that the section of pipe needs to be replaced. I have since researched the plumbing company and they have an F rating on BBB and all one star reviews in Yelp, Google, etc. When I called to talk to a repress they informed me that when the plumber called their authorisation department he told them that he had told me that the repair of the two sections was what was authorised. He didn’t even see the problem or know what it was until he arrived so that indicated that he didn’t even speak to the warranty company until AFTER he had even seen the problem. The entire process was extremely shady and if this is how HMS gives people “peace of mind” I will not be renewing our contract.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kelly, We appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear your experience with our service provider was less than satisfactory. Please know, we take our network of providers seriously. I have located your account and my team will be completing a thorough review of your claim and will reach out to you once our review is complete. Thank you - Angela

Original review: July 9, 2019

We received a home owners warranty from HMS as part of our home purchase on February 28, 2019. Frankly, it doesn’t seem that it is worth the fancy paper it is written on. The house had a complete inspection, but in February in Pennsylvania, you can’t really test the cooling system. When we finally needed the cooling system in May, it didn’t work…only warm air.

I started a claim with HMS on May 20, which was easy enough, but then the execution of the claim has been a nightmare. I paid a $200 deductible (per the HMS warranty requirement) to the repair service HMS assigned when they came out to diagnose the problem. That was money thrown away. The problem was a freon leak, and parts had to be ordered. The service provider left after they got confirmation from HMS that they had the information they needed, never to be heard from again. They didn’t leave enough freon in the system to cool the house while the parts were on order, a common customer service practice as freon generally leaks out very slowly.

I checked the HMS on-line system almost daily for the next couple of weeks to see the status of my claim. Even as of this writing seven weeks later, the HMS system shows the parts are still on order. I called HMS a couple of times to try to get additional information, but I didn’t get any more information than what was on the screen. I also called the service provider twice and did not get a return call.

Well, I called HMS again on July 3 to see if they would agree that six weeks is a little long to be without A/C in the summer. By the way, we have a 91 year-old living with us. They agreed, and they told me that they had actually contacted the service provider weeks earlier but didn’t get a response either. I guess they thought it was okay to just let my family go without A/C indefinitely, because they didn’t do anything about it. HMS did say they are escalating this to their regional management, and that they will call back. Nothing so far.

So, out of concern for my family, I called the company that installed the unit initially (their service log is posted on the vent stack). The diagnosis was the same, but they had the parts ready to install in one day. They also left the system with enough freon to keep the house cool while waiting for the parts to be installed. Now I want my money back for the repair ($770.00), and the initial $200 for the service provider that disappeared. I want HMS to pay the entire $970. Having read some other reviews, it seems that filing suit is the only way to get the money back from this company, so I will do that. I will update this story as it unfolds further.

HMS Home Warranty response

Steve, I'm sorry to hear about the delays you have experienced throughout your air conditioner claim, and assure you that this is not the level of service we aim to provide. Our team will review your claim to see how we can provide a resolution as quickly as possible, and follow up directly to address your concerns. Sincerely, Dena

Original review: July 9, 2019

One star because zero was not an option. We have had two claims with HMS and couldn’t be more disappointed with the way customer service has handled our inconveniences. They left us without hot water for 6 days (I am pregnant and have a toddler, so cold showers are not an option) and when it wasn’t correctly fixed, they did not do anything to expedite the inconvenience-over 3 weeks later and still no resolution. Next, our microwave broke (again- I have a toddler, so this is an essential appliance). It took one week to find someone to fix our “high end” brand, and then another week to get the company here.

The company tells us the $400 part likely won’t fix the problem, and they can’t schedule the repair for another week, but once again HMS could care less about the countless hours we’ve spent on the phone with them and repair companies as well as the time off work we’ve sacrificed to deal with multiple appointments. Customer service does nothing to expedite any processes and their automated prompts cause over a 5 minute delay before you can talk to an actual person. We will be canceling our brand and going with a company who cares about their customers. I would strongly recommend staying away from this company if you are looking for reliability and reasonable customer service.

HMS Home Warranty response

Laura, I assure you that the customer service you have received is not the level of service we aim to provide. My team and I would like to take a look into your claim to see how we can help. Please provide me with your full property address so my team can investigate and follow up with you personally. Thanks, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

This is in regards to my experience in getting my clothes washer fixed. I called HMS to report the issue with my washer. First thing started with identifying a service provider who is contracted with HMS. They gave me a service provider (SP) to talk to and get an appointment scheduled. I called them who to my surprise said they are not contracted with HMS. Called back HMS, they gave another SP number, called that number, they said they do not repair clothes washers. Called back HMS, they agreed to find a SP and talk to the SP themselves and secure me an appointment in couple hours. No one called me back till end of that day. Called back again next day, got another SP number. This is the third one.

Finally this SP agreed to come in and take a look, but was not available for almost a week. So appointment scheduled after a week, technician turned up as scheduled, diagnosed the issue and said he has reported the problem to HMS while he was at my home. Then no calls from anyone, been another week, am still waiting. I keep calling HMS and SP every day just to hear that they are still working on the claim. HMS asks me to talk to SP for status and SP asks me to talk to HMS.. very frustrated now. SP says they reported the diagnosis report to HMS, but HMS says they have not received anything from SP and asks me to call back after another 2 days. TWO days?? Really??

It's been almost more than 2 weeks now that I am without a washer and HMS does not seem to care for this. Their responses are very pathetic and does not seem to understand the needs to the customer or their situation. They said their system has not been updated with anything yet. I asked for a supervisor to talk to, but after another 20 minutes wait time, they said no supervisor is available at the moment. I don't know what's next. Waiting!! Altogether very upset and frustrated and unhappy with HMS after paying my premium for an year.

HMS Home Warranty response

Queency, I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. Please respond to this message with your claim number or property address and a member of our team will investigate and reach out to you personally. Thank you - Angela

Original review: July 7, 2019

HMS put my family at risk. Bottom line. They played games, are non-responsive, unreachable (though you may reach an HMS rep, they don’t have contracts with anyone able to do work unless during normal business hours... which, surprise! Is not when emergencies occur). This company left my family of four (incl. a 5-month old and 3-year old) without air conditioning for FIVE DAYS, in 90-100 degree heat, while we spent almost 4-5 hours per day on the phone trying to get someone to help. HMS is not recommended, to anyone, EVER. Be it a first time buyer or veteran, do NOT go with this company. I am a mom of two, wife, and have a full-time career. A home warranty co. was supposed to make things like this easy (along with every other claim we’ve put forward through the years), but it did the complete opposite. Trust me, please! *Please also note our claim is still unresolved, with no response, yet we do not give up.

HMS Home Warranty response

Ellen, We’re sorry for the delays you’ve experienced. Our records indicate that my team is already investigating your claim and we will reach out to you as quickly as we can once our review is completed. Thanks, Amanda

Original review: July 7, 2019

Updated on 07/15/2019: I have an HMS Home Warranty on my current home that was transferred to me from the previous owner. I am 3 weeks into an air conditioning system service call and still do not have a diagnosis. HMS has currently assigned the fourth different technician to the case and they are scheduled to arrive 23 days after the initial service call.

The issue with HMS is that customer service keeps telling me this is an emergency because I have three young children and the temperature has been over 90 degrees everyday since the service call. I have been calling HMS everyday and spend 1 to 2 hours a day on the phone with customer service, but they keep telling me there is nothing further they can do to get a HVAC service out to my house any faster.

The break in the case came when one of the customer service reps accidentally forwarded me to the ServiceBench system that the contractors call to file the claims and deal with the processing side of HMS. I was able to speak to a knowledge person who was honest with me about the status of the service call. That person informed me the case was revised at least 8 times with different service provider requests, but nowhere was the service request identified as an emergency and the request was never escalated. I am absolutely astounded how customer service could lie to me for weeks about how this case was an emergency because of children and outside temperature, but not actually document that in the case notes or do anything to help me get a technician out to work on my air conditioning system.

Customer service is intentionally lying to me or they are not sufficiently knowledgeable to help, but either way my family is suffering due to HMS's inability to provide the service in a reasonable time frame. I have had several other home warranties in the past, and when other home warranties categorize a request as an emergency, the service provider has been there the same day, and even on holidays. Other warranty companies activity manage the service provider, provide truthful information through customer service and cost significantly less. There are much better options than HMS if you are looking for a home warranty.

Original Review: I was given the HMS warranty from the seller when I purchased my current house and have filed 2 claims. The first claim I filed was for a heating issue in December for a split heat pump/gas furnace that was not completed until March of the following year. I am now 9 days into a cooling issue and HMS has not been able to get a service to my home yet. I live in a town of 30k people that is a suburb on of the larger cities in the US, so I would think they would be better at finding a contractor. HMS has declared this an emergency repair since the temperature has been over 85 degrees each day since I requested service. HMS will not allow me to go out and an HVAC service on my own, but are clearly incapable of resolving the issue so far.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jeff, I can tell this experience has been extremely frustrating and I’m sorry that this been your experience. I have located your claim and our records indicate that since this review, we have assigned a vendor to come and service your air conditioning unit. Should you need further assistance, please respond with the best number to reach you at and we will call you directly. Sincerely, Dena

Original review: July 6, 2019

I do NOT recommend this home warranty company. Our first claim is a ongoing disaster! Our refrigerator burned out on Sun 6/30/19. We immediately contacted HMS. HMS provided a Tues 7/2 appt., with an appt window between 1-5 pm. I contacted them on Monday, asking if we could possibly confirm the earlier part of the appt window. I was informed at that time that our appt had been cancelled, and the first available date for service would be on 7/12. It is 90-degrees outdoors and we have NO refrigerator. SERIOUSLY! 12 days for anyone to service a refrigerator? I then called HMS back to say that, a 12 day wait is unacceptable. The person (Raul) on the phone agreed. He then cancelled our 7/12 appt and promised that we would receive servicing within 24/48 hrs. I called back again after 24 hrs to follow up on the status, since no one contacted me. They are constantly apologizing (as part of their telephone script). Now it's been 48 hrs...NOTHING!

I am currently on the phone with HMS (Leon), who is giving me the runaround. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Talked to Supv who stated that, we are now pushed out to 7/18 serv date. However, she looked into the only other (of 2 serv comps contracted w/ them in all of SE WI) who may contact me today, to provide a 7/10 serv date. When I asked, what happens if my refrig needs replacement? Her reply was, that they would ship a new one equivalent to ours at their wholesale cost, and that I had no choice in what is selected. The other option is a buyout at retail value.

We have had Old Republic and American Home Shield in the past. Never had issues. Both were very professional and superior in taking care of their customer base. Unfortunately, the listing agent/Realtor purchased this company at the closing of our real estate transaction. We had no say in what company was selected. Needless to say, this IS ONGOING AND STILL NOT RESOLVED...

HMS Home Warranty response

Pamela, As we strive to provide our customers with superior customer service, we wish to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for calling this matter to our attention. After a further review of your claim, it seems we have approved for you to get you own licensed and insured provider to complete a diagnosis and submit the findings to us. Should you need further assistance, please respond with your full property address and a team member will reach out a with an expedited resolution. - Austin

Original review: July 6, 2019

Avoid using this company at all costs or you may be up at 2am writing a review like this...unable to sleep because your A/C has been broken for a week and a half and they will make absolutely no effort to resolve the situation. My nightmare: Day 1: A/C stops working, so we file a claim online; appointment scheduled with Sears. Day 4: Sears technician’s truck breaks down and no other appointments available for another 6 days. We call and ask for another contractor to service the problem. Appointment with alternate contractor scheduled for 3 days out. Day 5: Alternate contractor calls my wife and abruptly tells her that they don’t work on our type of A/C (it’s a Trane).

Day 6: I follow up with the alternate contractor to ensure he didn’t have some kind of mix up. He refused to honor the appointment. We call HMS to request another appointment. The only remaining contractor in our area (near Louisville, KY) with anything available has 1.6 stars on Google reviews (ABC Heating and Cooling). My wife begs them to send out somebody else. She’s told it’s the only option. I realize that I better get a second opinion, so that I don’t get screwed. I schedule an appointment with Summers (5.0 on Google). Day 7: The tech from Summers comes out in the morning. He’s very professional and friendly and thoroughly checks things out both inside and out. I’m told I’ll need to have the condenser coil replaced which will cost over $2k.

In the afternoon the tech from ABC calls my wife to tell her that he’s able to come a day early. He turns out to be exactly what you’d expect for someone with 1.6 stars on Google: unprofessional, rude, lazy, and severely lacking in knowledge and integrity. He looks at the electrical panel, but can’t figure out why the unit won’t power on (the main shutoff had been disconnected by the other tech). Unfortunately, I wasn’t home to direct him to the source of the problem, and he was too incompetent to figure it out on his own. I have another unit (not in use) next to the unit he was there to diagnose. He was too lazy to trace the wiring to the source of the proper shutoff, otherwise he would have seen the word ‘OFF’ at the switch. Instead he pulled out a couple of fuses from the wrong shutoff and told my wife that the problem was just a bad fuse. He charged us a $50 fee and left.

That evening, when I arrived home from work I contacted HMS to tell them about our experience and request another appointment. The customer service rep was very friendly, but I believe he was just telling me what I wanted to hear. He told me that he contacted ABC, and he stated that the tech was also rude and unprofessional towards him. The agent was unable to get an appointment scheduled with another service provider, so he told me that he would bump our situation up to a medical emergency (Broken A/C for a week in 90+ weather) and that someone would contact me within 24 hours (likely granting me permission to use my own service provider).

Day 8: After 24 hours I still haven’t received a phone call from anyone at HMS, so I call them. While working my way through the automated phone tree, I receive a text update on my claim. I go to the link and learn that my claim has been ‘cancelled’. When I finally reach an agent, he tells me that he’s not sure why it’s been cancelled and he’ll have to get a supervisor involved. He’s unable to reach a supervisor, so he tells me with a high level of certainty that a supervisor will contact me within 30 minutes. I wait an hour and no call, so I work my way back through the phone tree and demand to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor very tersely tells me she needs to look into my case and puts me on hold for 20+ minutes. She comes back briefly and tells me she’s bumping things up to case management. I wait on hold for another 15 minutes.

The hold music ends and the supervisor jumps right into telling me that my claim is being denied. She sounds as if she’s been psyching herself up for an argument while I have been on hold. I immediately go from thinking this is just a misunderstanding that she’s been working on my behalf to resolve to the realization that I am being screwed. My temper flares and we have a heated conversation for a few minutes. Turns out that the incompetent technician they sent claims our unit hasn’t been properly maintained (there are signs of pests and wires chewed through) and this is a breach of contract. I’m told he’s sent pictures as proof. I ask if I can see the pictures (are they even of my unit?) No. I detail his lack of competence and mention his Google rating. I’m told Google ratings don’t factor into their processes for determining the quality of the contractors they associate with.

I ask if I can send my own pictures as defense. I’m given an email address and told to send them attention this supervisor. She’ll call me back once she receives them. I take pictures and videos to demonstrate that the unit both powers on and does not show signs of pests. I send them to the email address and wait for a call back. (Auto reply says the email will be reviewed in 3-5 business days). I call back and find out that all the supervisors are gone for the night. The agent I speak with, tells me he’s working in the morning and will call me back to get me in touch with a supervisor by 10am.

Day 9: The time passes and no one calls, so I call again and demand to speak to a supervisor. I’m transferred to the case management department. I speak with another friendly and seemingly honest individual. I ask him if my photos have been received and linked to my case. He cannot locate them, so he gives me his direct email to send them to. He confirms receipt and tells me that my claim should not have been denied due to lack of maintenance. Some contracts include this type of language, but that particular clause isn’t in my contract. He tells me he doesn’t have any authority to overturn the denial, but that he’s sending the details to management for further review. He can’t confirm when they will reach out to me but says it should be within 24 hours.

Day 10: 24 hours passes and still no call back (notice a theme?) I call again and demand to go straight to a supervisor. I’m told none are available, but one can call me back. I’m not buying it this time, so I determine to stay on the line until one is available. Eventually I’m directed to another case manager. She apologizes and tells me that she can understand my frustration, but that there’s nothing that she can do unless I can prove my unit has been maintenanced. I continue to dig in to find more clarity. She points me to the direct place in my contract stated as the reason my claim is being denied. Turns out the issue isn’t with a lack of past maintenance. The case manager I spoke with on Day 9 was right; there isn’t anything in my contract that would give them grounds to deny my claim based on lack of regular maintenance.

No, they are denying the claim because their ‘certified’ technician (from ABC) claims it can’t be diagnosed until proper maintenance is performed, and the contract states that maintenance is not covered under the warranty. So what does the case manager advise me to do? Hire a licensed and certified contractor to come maintenance the unit. Then send them documentation stating that said maintenance has been completed. Here’s the catch: I cannot have that contractor service the unit (i.e fix the real problem) because that work will need to be approved and completed by one of their ‘highly rated’ technicians. This is not a joke. You can’t make this stuff up. It’s a real nightmare. I’m currently stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to just pay Summers to fix the problem, so I can be sure that it’s completed soon and done right. However, I know that if I do, HMS will refuse to reimburse me and they will ultimately win.

Moral of the story? HMS cannot be trusted. They are a deceptive company who chooses to align themselves with scam artists pretending to be service technicians rather than to provide a fair warranty service. They don’t care about their customers. They only care about taking their customers’ money. Therefore, they will make every effort to ensure they do not have to cover any expensive claims. If you want insurance for your appliances, you’re better off putting your money in a savings account.

HMS Home Warranty response

Nate, As we strive to provide our customers with superior customer service, we wish to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for calling this matter to our attention. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide. Our records indicate that you have been in contact with a member of our Leadership team, and he will remain in contact with you to ensure your claim is resolved. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 3, 2019

I placed a claim on June 3rd for my air conditioning, after one month, the a/c is still not functioning. I call daily for updates and I am constantly redirected to another number to call and promised a call back by a supervisor, and no call back is ever made. I am extremely disappointed so far with the service. It has been 90 degrees and above the past two weeks and with the exception of offering apologies no resolution has come. A second claim for my water softener was placed, an additional cost to have it covered by my warranty, and still it does not function. I feel I have been sold a lie by this company as other home warranty companies have responded extremely quickly and efficiently for claims others I know have placed.

HMS Home Warranty response

Charles, This is certainly not the level of service we intend to provide. Please respond with your full property address and my team will follow up with you personally. - Austin

Original review: July 3, 2019

I am pleased with HMS, except for one situation. I had a leak in my home and I didn't realize that I had HMS warranty. So I called Roto-Rooter out, and then when I talked to my agent, she told me I had HMS. I've had four leaks in the house. One of the times I had a leak, I called HMS and they sent the contractor out. And he told me I needed my house re-piped. But Roto-Rooter came out the day before them, which stopped the leak. The contractor told me that he was putting the order to see if HMS would do the re-piping. But he never did come back. All he did was tie a sock on the water leak. HMS sent some decent contractors, except for this particular guy. I had to call HMS back to send somebody else out who wound up stopping the leak. But they don't do re-piping.

When I called HMS to tell them that I paid both contractors $100 within days apart, they told me that I would get my $100 reimbursed. They told me to send in both claim numbers that I had and forward a copy of both my receipts, but I never heard back from them. I never got my reimbursement back. But outside of that, I didn't have any problem with HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Gwendolyn, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: July 2, 2019

HMS was part of the closing and when my year was up, I chose to continue the coverage. I have been covered since February of 2018 and I’ve had two claims. One in the bathroom and one for the microwave. Somebody was out to my home for the bathroom the next day after I filed the claim, and for the microwave, it was about five days. The contractors are very nice. The only thing is filing claims is automated. I don’t get to talk to anyone which I don’t like.

HMS Home Warranty response

Stacey, I’m sorry to hear that you experienced problems with our automated system. We are always working to improve our customer experience and we appreciate the feedback you provided. We’re happy to hear that overall you’ve been pleased with your experience. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: July 2, 2019

This was the absolute worst customer service I've ever had. I have 3 young children at home and the time it took to process my claim was over a week. And then the amount of non covered charges was astronomical and unnecessary As they were chargers specific to the contractor but you are not given the option to use a different contractor. When I called to see you what was taking the claim so long as they were uninterested and not helpful. With a family of 4 I was without hot water for almost 2 weeks and no one there cared. DO NOT BUY THIS WARRANTY!!!

HMS Home Warranty response

Sarah, I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. In this instance your warranty addressed parts and labor for the failing item, and the out of pocket expense was related to modifications and upgrades which were required in order to install the new equipment. Since those items were not failing, they do not qualify for coverage. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of your warranty booklet that was mailed to you upon enrollment. We regret any confusion or misunderstanding which occurred. Respectfully, Austin

9-FACTS about my experience over the last 11 days with HMS Home Warranty:

1) First HMS approved contractor sent in a claim that my AC Condenser Unit had failed and needed to be replaced as no compatible parts were available (it's over 20 years old). HMS denied the claim and sent another contractor. Second contractor submitted the same analysis. HMS denied the claim and send a third contractor. Third Contractor stated he could modify the system to work with mismatching parts. HMS approved the parts but told me I'd have to pay out of pocket for the needed modifications to *Frankenstein* my unit.

2) When asked why the first two bids were rejected, two HMS customer service reps told me that HMS did not reject the first two contractors, but that the contractors were the ones that cancelled my service requests. Two different HMS service reps told me that HMS cancelled both because the providers couldn't accomplish the job in an acceptable timeframe. The owners of both contract companies told me that HMS rejected their bids as "too costly". When I asked for an official claim history from HMS, they told me they would send one via email. It never made it to me. When I asked why they never sent it, they apologized and said that they'd send it this time. Again... It never made it here. As they verify my email address on every call, I know they have my correct address.

3) When asked to speak to a supervisor for an update, I was put on another extensive hold when a man "Tommy" came on the line and threatened to delay my service if I kept him on the phone. "Every second you keep talking to me, your claim could be delayed days... or even weeks" (Yes, that's a quote). And my average call time to HMS takes about 55 minutes since every question requires the representative to put me on a "short 2-minute hold" while they read something or ask their supervisor a question. Most holds are longer than 2-minutes.

4) Over the three contractors that HMS kept sending to my home, I have already paid more than my deductible since "deductible is due to at time of service". HMS has promised to reimburse me on receipt of my invoices totaling beyond my agreed upon deductible. I'll update this if it actually happens.

5) Multiple HMS representatives and supervisors promised me that I would have final word on a bid before work would begin. I was told that I would receive an email with my options after the contractor submits their analysis of the issue. I told them that I wanted it crystal clear that I do NOT consent to any bid above my deductible without my approval. They stated that I'd definitely get an email since it's their procedure and I shouldn’t worry. Today, HMS told me that they were starting the "investigation looking for my parts". I told them I had not reviewed the bid, they read it to me and said there are $570 that will come out of my pocket. 400 for disposal of my old unit and 170 to cover the modifications to make the mismatched parts work with my system. I told them I'm not paying and want another bid. They told me that they were already seeking the parts so it’s too late. When I asked about the previous promises, they had made to me and why I wasn’t notified, they never answered any question and just kept saying "Sorry we already ordered the parts, you're stuck with this".

6) I told HMS that they have no authority to commit me to out of pocket costs especially after I had made it clear that I would not consent to them without reviewing them. They told me it was fine and they would make a note for the contractor that I would handle disposal myself and wouldn’t have to pay the fees. I called the contractor to confirm what HMS just told me. He told me the numbers HMS quoted me did not include his “additional service fees” if I expected it to be done in less than two weeks. He also told me that his service fee wasn’t covered by HMS, and that the additional fee was significant because "it's the 4th of July I’m usually closed because it’s a holiday week". I'm a service member who has been deployed overseas over many 4th of July's. I, unfortunately couldn’t use them as an excuse to get MORE money. The contractor told me "I won’t service your home unless you agree". I told him I do NOT agree and would be calling HMS to reiterate the same.

7) As HMS customer service told me that I could not change contractors, I told him to cancel the claim since HMS does not have unlimited authority to spend my money especially with the total out of pocket costs reaching $1000. He said "Sorry, as parts are on order you cannot cancel". I told him I never approved HMS ordering parts, he said, "Sorry, it’s our process". I next, went online and clicked "Cancel this claim" myself. I have a screenshot of the cancellation in case HMS tries to scam me further and will add to this post as needed.

8) I have since created a new claim and called to have it assigned to what I consider a reputable local business. HMS told me, "They're not an authorized provider". I told them, I know that they are, as I've used them before. The HMS rep stated with some attitude, "Look, just because you used some company a year or two ago doesn’t mean they’re still in business"... I told them I used them last week and to look at my account. She then told me, "Oh that company has gone "inactive"." So, I asked her to look again while I called the owner of that company on my other phone. The owner of the company said, "We're finishing a job for them right now." I negotiated with them last week. When I asked the rep how that was possible, she told me that she didn’t know since they're inactive.

9) I asked HMS if they had a buyout option for the claim, "We can ask, but if I do that.. there's no going back." When I asked what that means, she said that if I ask for the *official* buyout option, we can no longer file a claim for our A/C and we're committed to it. Yes, HMS actually expects customers to agree to a settled amount, BEFORE they tell you the settled amount. When I told them that I would never agree to that. Just like how I'd never agree to them spending my money or committing me to out of pocket costs. She divulged that it would probably be around $400. Yes, HMS wanted me to commit to a buyout on my claim without knowing the number and planned to hand me 400 instead of replacing my A/C unit. I declined their estimate and reiterated that I did NOT consent to the *official* buyout process.

FINALLY, So tomorrow, I'm going to call them again. Given the heat and some health issues I won’t disclose here, I'm moving the family in with relatives while I keep fighting for HMS to do what they've promised. The HMS brochure states: HMS will “repair or replace” the mechanical failures of major systems, not stall me until they can find a guy that can Frankenstein some mismatched parts into a semi-functional system while planning to shift all costs back on me. They say “you’ll pay one low deductible”, I’ve paid two so far… They say “you’ll be matched with a pre-screened licensed professional so you won't have to waste time searching the internet and hoping for the best”. The only time I’ve wasted is waiting on HMS while they sift through multiple contractors... sending multiple strangers to my home until they found a bid cheap enough and who would find a way to bill me instead of them.

They say I’ll have peace of mind and “assurance that I won’t have to worry when a covered appliance or system breaks down…” I’m scared to think of just how badly HMS would have scammed me if I hadn’t been on top of them and managed every aspect of my own repair. I’ll update this review as I go into day 12 without AC in 90+ degree weather.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mathias, It is clear that your expectations were not met, we truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and value your opinion. Our records indicate that you have already been in contact with a member of our Leadership team. She will remain in contact with you to ensure your concerns are addressed. Thank you - Angela

Original review: July 2, 2019

It was very easy to file a claim with HMS. The process took a little long but it wasn't anybody's fault. Everything was good with their claims rep. I also had a very good experience with the contractor that they sent out. They knew everything that they were doing. They fixed the problem, so that was wonderful.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kathy, Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Thank you for choosing us as your warranty provider and that we were able to provide satisfactory service. Have an amazing weekend. - Austin

HMS Home Warranty coverage exclusions

HMS Home Warranty covers failure of select systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. The policy does not cover deliberate or accidental damage due to abuse or misuse of covered items. HMS warranties do not cover the handling of hazardous materials or the fees associated with hauling away replaced systems or appliances.

In some cases, parts deemed nonessential to the core function of a system or appliance may not be covered. For example, while your kitchen appliances may be covered under your contract, components like doors, glass, seals, drawers, lightbulbs and fixtures may not be covered. You can find a full list of exclusions via HMS's sample agreement.

HMS Home Warranty coverage limits

HMS does have coverage limits, but they vary depending on which covered item is in question. They generally range from $1,000 to $3,000. If an item has a coverage limit or cap, you will be responsible for covering any cost beyond that dollar amount. Overall, we found HMS’s limits generous and on the higher side of average compared to the industry.

ItemHMS’s coverage limit
Septic tank pumping$500
Septic tank replacement$1,000
Swimming pool heater$1,000

HMS Home Warranty claims

Claims can be filed 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. The process is straightforward and easy to do. To request service from HMS Home Warranty:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone to speak directly to an HMS customer care representative.
  2. HMS will assign a service partner to your claim within two hours during normal business hours and 24 hours during weekends and holidays
  3. The service provider will schedule a convenient time for the repair.
  4. During the visit, the service provider will diagnose and suggest repair or replacement.
  5. You will pay your service call fee and the work will be completed.

HMS Home Warranty FAQ

When will coverage begin on an HMS Home Warranty?

For existing homeowners, there is a standard 30-day waiting period after a warranty is purchased. This is true of most home warranty providers in the industry. If you purchase a warranty for a home you’re selling, coverage begins immediately upon enrollment. For home buyers, coverage will begin on your closing date.

Is there a cancellation fee for HMS Home Warranty?

Yes, a $25 processing fee will apply. Homeowners and buyers can cancel their home warranty with a 10-day written notice. Seller Home Warranties are non-cancelable.

Will HMS Home Warranty cover my older systems and appliances?

Yes. There is no age restriction placed on covered items. HMS only requires that they be in working condition at the time of enrollment.

What is a homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement?

You can qualify for up to $500 per year when you pay a deductible on a homeowners insurance claim while an active HMS customer. The reimbursement opportunity is available on the Home Buyers plan, and claims must be reported to HMS within 45 days.

What is HMS’s lodging reimbursement?

HMS will reimburse you for lodging fees up to $1,200 should you have to stay in a hotel/motel in the event your heating or cooling system is non-operational for more than 24 hours from the time of the first service visit, or due to flooding in your home because of a water pipe break.

Is HMS Home Warranty worth it?

HMS Home Warranty offers good coverage for buyers, sellers and existing homeowners alike, with the most available coverage available to homebuyers. While coverage isn’t as comprehensive as others we’ve seen, it covers all essential systems and includes several benefits we haven’t seen anywhere else, like homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement and lodging reimbursement. With these added benefits plus the premier upgrade package, we think HMS has more than enough to offer any homeowner.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information