2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.36/5
Based on 1,018 ratings submitted in the last year

For over 40 years Cinch Home Services (formerly HMS Home Warranty) has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

Cinch is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 18,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

HMS offers plans for all stages of home ownership. While there are some limitations in standard coverage, all essential items are covered, and a variety of add-on options are available to customize your plan.

PROS

• Customizable coverage for buyers
  • Emergency lodging reimbursement
  • No waiting period for sellers
  • Plans for all real estate stages

CONS

• High deductible
  • Full coverage subject to add-on fees

Top HMS Home Warranty Reviews

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. [The plumber] assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them...

I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked.

HMS Home Warranty plans

Buying a home can be intimidating, but a home warranty can give you peace of mind and reduce the cost of expensive repairs or replacements. HMS Home Warranty offers plans that cover all of the major systems in your home, from plumbing and electrical to the HVAC system.

HMS offers plans to customers nationwide through more than 40,000 local service representatives and offers 24/7 customer service. HMS offers the following types of warranty plans:

• Seller: Designed for someone selling a home that wants coverage while the home is on the market. Covers major appliances and systems.
  • Buyer Conversion: Begins with the seller while the home is on the market, then is transferred to the buyer once the home is purchased.
  • Buyer Direct: Can be purchased by a home buyer at the time of closing. HMS offers advanced coverage only available for buyer plans.
  • New Home: Coverage begins one year after the sale closes, which is typically when a builder’s warranty would expire.
  • Open Direct: This plan is for existing homeowners. Anyone can purchase this type of plan at any time. Becomes effective 30 days after the plan is purchased.

HMS Home Warranty cost

The average cost for an HMS Home Warranty is around $40–$50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. Their service call fee, the amount you’ll pay for a technician to come to your home (also known as a deductible) varies by region.. The Premier Upgrade Plan is available for an additional $89 of $99 each year, depending on where you live.

Because prices vary by location and plan selected, to get an accurate quote for your home, you’ll need to request a quote directly from HMS.

PlanStarting Monthly Cost
Buyer$37 ($449/year)
Seller$32 ($449/year)
New Home$46 ($549/year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

HMS Home Warranty coverage

HMS covers a good selection of home systems and appliances. Coverage availability may differ slightly between warranty plans, with homebuyers having the widest selection of coverage options.

All HMS Warranty plans cover:

• Kitchen appliances
  • Jetted tub
  • Sump pump
  • Water heater

Air conditioning, washer and dryer may also be covered depending on your location.

*Additional fee applies on seller plans

Optional coverage for home buyers:

• Outside gas lines
  • Outside sewer and water lines
  • Pools/spas
  • Septic tanks
  • Water softeners
  • Well pump systems

*Add-on prices range from $40-205 per item.

Premier Upgrade Package:
When purchased, the Premier Upgrade Package (PUP) will provide buyers with up to $1,000 of coverage for non-covered charges associated with a covered repair or replacement. It provides coverage for items not typically included in home warranty contracts like duct, electrical and plumbing modifications, code upgrades and permits.

HMS Home Warranty Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 20, 2019

I have coverage with HMS Home Warranty on my home. The hot water tank wasn't heating, so I called HMS and they said that they would connect me with the company in the area that does the repairs. However, it took me a while to get the guy to answer back. The tech was very nice and was very friendly. He got back to me and he said he was kinda busy at that time. It was understandable because at that time, we were having some cold weather and he was out a lot for busted pipes and all kind of other things. When he came in, he looked at it and it happened to be just a small part that needed to be fixed, and it worked out really well. We paid $100 and after that, nothing else. The hot water tank is 25 years old and has been operating fine, so I was surprised. I thought they would replace it, but he said there is nothing wrong with it. At some point, we made a good decision on the water tank and to have just the heating element to be replaced.

Other than that, we also had a second call that we made for the lighting element, but it did not go so well. We needed an electrician and the only electrician HMS could find us was 60 miles away. At first, the rep tried to get me an electrician that was from Philadelphia. I said no and I said that I am from South Pittsburgh. She called back and said that they located one in Monroeville. I said that it was still 60 miles away. They couldn't take care of the problem for two weeks and the problem we had was the light switch was shortened out. We couldn't even turn the kitchen lights on. I was afraid because I could hear it buzzing and it would crackle. It was not good.

They ended up telling us, which was very nice too, "Go ahead. You're approved to go ahead and bring in your own electrician, and then submit the bill." As it turned out, we needed a $3 part and they replaced a light switch of the house, so we didn't even file the claim with HMS. Fortunately, it was just a minor repair that we didn't have to wait or go through the warranty company for, but I was surprised that they didn't have an electrician closer on hand. We don't live far off the country. We are 60 miles south of Pittsburgh and I know about this area. I know we have tons of electricians around here, so I don't know why we didn't have one, but it just kept coming up. I thought that they would have someone that wouldn't have to travel so far, that we wouldn't have to wait too long for. They wanted us to wait two weeks for an appointment and for the electrician as well.

Still, I'm really satisfied with HMS and we've not had a problem with them. They are on the money and they are fast. They check back right away to see if the appointment was met or whatever else we need. I am not disappointed just because they didn't have someone. It could happen anywhere with any warranty company. Maybe they didn't have someone in the area or maybe they had people and they got rid of them because they weren't serving the customer or because no one wanted to participate in their program. For the service that HMS is offering, it is a great service and I recommend it. Having the home warranty is a selling point because you are taking the pressure off of you and you are also taking the pressure off the buyer of the house because they don't have to worry about moving into a new house and being stuck without something right after something breaks.

HMS Home Warranty response

Joanne, We’re thrilled to hear that your claim experience went smoothly and we delivered the efficient service you expect. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience. - Christine

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

When our furnace was broken, HMS Home Warranty sent someone out and it was a really positive experience. The guys were on time and they diagnosed the problem really quickly, got the parts, and they were fantastic. We also had some plumbing issues and the plumber they originally sent out was terrible. First of all, he never showed up at the first appointment and wasn’t answering his phone. And then the following day, I called first thing in the morning and he said, “I called you four times yesterday to try to come over,” which was not true. I told him I never received any phone call and he then said he'd be there that day at noon. Noon came and went, I waited for him, cancelled appointments, called repeatedly, and then finally got in touch with him again at around 4:30 PM, and he told me he couldn’t make it that day, and he’d be here the next morning.

So, at that point I told him it was fine if that was what he could do. He then showed up and said, “I need to cut a hole in the wall to figure out where the leak is. It’s gonna cost you $495 if I cut the hole in the wall, and I’m not gonna be able to fix it. If you have a handyman, you might wanna use them to cut the hole.” I told him that I do have a handyman, and we’d have it cut in two days. He then came back two days later and he said we cut the hole on the wrong spot, which was not true again. It was exactly where he told me to cut it. So, I had to cut another giant hole in the dry wall on a different part of the room. And then we found the leak. It was a Saturday at that point and he said he’d be back on Monday to fix it. And then he never showed up again.

I eventually called HMS and told them the guy disappeared. And they told me that the claim had been closed and that the diagnosis that he had submitted stated that the damage was done through a recent construction work and they put in faulty piping, which was also not true. So, it was a lie after lie with that guy. I told HMS about that and they said his claims had already been submitted and my claim was closed because the technician has already submitted the report.

At that point, if he submitted the report in error, I asked them if I could get a second claim or get another person to come out. And the first person I spoke with said, “No,” because the person they sent had already submitted their report. That was what HMS is gonna go with. So I told the person, “I have zero recourse now? I just have to go, figure this out on my own?” She said I was welcome to file a complaint, and she gave me an email address. I told her I was just looking to fix the issue. We couldn’t use our showers and we had guests in town. So, at that point, I told her I had to go. When I called back later, I talked to somebody else who said, “No. We have your report, it’s been closed. I think you can get a second opinion, but if you do, that’s on your own dime.” And then I had to go again for work.

I called the third time that day, and the third person I spoke to said, “Well, absolutely you can get a second opinion,” and it was fantastic. The third person was very helpful and I was able to get the ball rolling again and they recommended a plumber who came out. And he was great and he fixed it. He noticed the problem immediately. It took him 10 minutes to come in here and sneak in there. He said nothing was new construction which was completely accurate. And so, the claim was ultimately accepted. So, that was a bit of a trial, but otherwise it’s been good. HMS did fix the problem and they’ve been great. It was more on the technician they sent that was the problem. I told HMS that I hope that the individual is taken off of their preferred service technicians list.

HMS Home Warranty response

Greg, This definitely does not sound right. Our service providers are a representation of our company, and we are disappointed to hear this was your experience. We are glad to have gotten you a second opinion to properly diagnose the failure. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure its provided to the appropriate parties within the organization for handling. - Christine

Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased HMS Home Warranty the first time in 1995 and I have had them ever since in different areas of the United States. Our recent claim to them was for the stove and the heater which were at the same time. HMS sent out Sears to repair our stove. The oven wasn’t working and the part that went out was no longer available so it took almost a month to get my stove fixed. What was really sad was that the stove is not that old, but the part wasn’t available. So, they had to come back, take the part off and then ship it out and have it repaired. It worked fine though. The repairman was Jo-jo and he was absolutely wonderful and the greatest person that Sears’s could have sent out. He was caring about the wooden floors and about making sure he didn’t make a mess anywhere. It was a 5-star experience all the way through.

On the other hand, the repair person that they sent out for the heater was absolutely a nightmare. We had problems from the beginning with him just not following up and not saying what he was gonna do. He came out, looked at the heater and said it needed three parts. He got the okay from HMS to get the parts and put them on but it was almost impossible to get him to come back and to answer his phone or give us a straight answer. When he finally came back out, the most he brought in was one screwdriver to work on the unit and there were no parts. He came in, went downstairs, started looking at the unit again and said the unit was really rusty and bad. He also said that the whole unit was shot and that we were lucky we were not getting carbon monoxide poisoning because the unit was in such bad shape. So, he said he would have to turn off the gas to the unit.

I asked him to show me where the rust that he was talking about was. From what he showed me, the rust in the unit was like a penny size and I could have taken a Brillo pad and lightly remove the rust. He then turned everything off and asked us if we had a Shark vac and we said no. He went to his truck and got a Shark vac and vacuumed up the little water that they had that took between 20 and 30 minutes. Then, he left and sent HMS a report saying that we needed a whole new unit. I kept on texting him back the next day to see if he got an answer and when he was coming back. Before he left my house on a Thursday, he would have the unit for Saturday and he would come around Saturday noon to replace it.

Once he did that, I started texting him on Friday to see if he got the okay and he told me that he’d call me back as he was online with the company. Four hours later, I never got a return call. I texted him back and called him many times but I never got an answer. So, I called the warranty company on Saturday at around 4 o’clock in the morning. I didn’t feel comfortable with him because I felt like he was ripping us and HMS off. At the same time that I’m calling HMS, my husband decided to do research on the guy and he found out that there were people that were trying to get his physical address so they can send out warrants for his arrest because he defrauded them out of so much money.

Apparently, the repair guy had another company named a different name. There were really bad reviews and even one of the reviews was someone that had the same warranty company as HMS. At first, when we told the rep that we found the guy within seconds on the internet with so many bad reviews, we were told that they didn’t go by what was reviewed on there until I told them that HMS was coming up and the kind of experience this person had. The review was a very ugly one and how the person would never use them again.

The girl that I talked to at 4:00 in the morning said that nobody was available and that she'd have someone call me back after 8:00. Then, someone called me back after 8:00 and I told her that I really wasn’t comfortable with the repair person coming back into my house and we would prefer somebody else. I was told that I couldn't just stop in the middle of everything. I asked her who will be responsible if the repair person comes back and changes the unit and screws up and the rep told me that it would be me who has to go back and get recourse to get it straightened out. I told her that I don’t want the person in my house. I then started telling her furthermore that the guy said a new unit is needed and he did not even try to put one of the three parts he ordered so how could he know if he even fixed the heating system. The rep said that the guy was charging them for the parts and for the repair.

Since I know a bit about mechanical things, I said that there was nothing seriously wrong with our unit. After the guy left, we saw a bug that died in one of the lines and it was the reason why the water was sitting there as the heating system got clogged. We pulled the bug out with a tweezer. The rep checked and we wound up with a really nice guy named Calvin. Then, we had another company come out and when the guy came out, he said that he had to pull all the parts back on that he took off. We told him about the problem with the line so he blew all the lines out. He explained to us that if one of the lines were clogged and with the way the system works, it would click off. It would not also come on if a line is clogged. So, he hooked everything back up and the unit worked fine.

The guy sent Calvin a report saying that everything was fine and that he didn’t see it needing a new unit. He didn’t see the rust that the guy was saying. He also said the only thing that he thought was that in the near future, probably the igniter might go out. So, Calvin asked us if it was okay that they change the igniter since it looked like it was getting ready to go out. He changed the igniter and it had been a couple of months and we have had no problem.

The unit was gonna cost HMS over $3,000 by the time the first guy would install it and we were told that he could change it within two hours. The other guy said there was no way, not with all the work that would have been done. We got the problem resolved and it ended very well. I would still recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend but I would explain to them that if they feel like something is wrong, they should explain it to the person. I wouldn’t want anybody to have the experience that I had.

HMS Home Warranty response

Terrin, We’re glad to hear that your claim got resolved, but sorry to hear about all the confusion with the provider. We appreciate your recommendation. Have a great day! - Amanda

Original review: March 1, 2019

The seller of the house purchased HMS Home Warranty and had the coverage for the water heater and stuff during the sale of the home. Filing a claim hasn't been too bad. The contacting of the warranty company is a bit different. It's kinda between two companies. But for the most part, it has been fine. The house that we purchased wasn't being used regularly prior to being put on the market. So, there were some things that might have gotten worse throughout. So then when I started using everything regularly, they started backing up. And I've been a bit unlucky with the techs they've sent out, so far.

I had a plumber service that came and I wasn't overly impressed with them. The plumbing company that HMS uses in this area have reviews online that are really, really bad. It's all for warranty works. I don't know if there are also warranty for other companies other than HMS. But all the Yelp reviews and online reviews are pretty bad. I tried to cancel my appointment and see if it would reassign me to another company, but it just reassigned me a second time to the same one.

The people that came didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. They left a mess in the house after they cut the hole in my kitchen and then they disappeared for two hours without telling me where they were going or when they would be back. They got lost trying to find the place. So, I had to contact the warranty company to say that they were beyond the window I was given and that they said that they were on their way and nobody was there. Only then did they reach out to the company and found out that the driver was sitting in a parking lot in my neighborhood but not in the right area. Fortunately, the problem was something very small, so they were able to handle it. It would be nice if there was another option for that sort of service. Hopefully, I will never need it again for any plumbing related issues.

One of the issues they deemed is some sort of negligence that must have been done by the previous owner. The technician that came for the dryer said that it appeared that there were some dents and things inside that appeared that the previous owner was probably doing too large a load. And that probably is what eventually caused its crack. I sort of understand where the company is coming from. That there was probably heavy abuse prior to us taking ownership of it. I bought the house and did the inspection. So, anything that wasn't found during the inspection, I expected to work 100% properly. But the dryer works fine. It's just a little louder than normal.

The washing machine was a bit of a surprise. It's kinda frustrating at this point. I hardly had any problems with it for the first two months. And then now, it keeps trying to recycle it to like rinse again, so it won't ever spin it. If I wanna switch it to the dryer, I have to dry it like three times because it's soaking wet. The claim was supposed to be set up but I never received a notification of a change. When I got on the application for Sears that says, "Your appointment is today, track your driver," it stated that my appointment was now for a different day, even though the email reads, "Your appointment is for today." I called them and they said they didn't know why it happened, but the only thing they could assume is that the driver fell behind and was gonna be unable to make the appointment. Hopefully, it's something minor that they can fix on the spot.

Another problem I had is I tried to do more than one claim on the same day and they weren't able to tell me if I would be able to get the same technician that could handle multiple repairs. They gave me three separate delivery windows when I called the day of and then they combined two repairs to one mechanic without telling me. So, it deleted one of my time zones. I was waiting on somebody to show up and obviously not at work because I was waiting on three technicians.

Then, the same person had to get parts ordered for my microwave and my stove. But then they didn't allow him to do both repairs on the same day. So, he only had a certain amount of time allotted to fix my stove. He was unable to fix my microwave. He had to come back a week later to fix my microwave which was another week of not being able to use my appliance. And another day I have to not be at work or been on-call to make sure I'm home for it. If they could just be a little bit more in line on stuff like that, that would be obviously beneficial. But I was just happy that I knew the process was in motion.

Every other experience thus far has been good. The technicians at Sears really know what they're doing. They send me an automated text message to let me know they're on their way. They've also called me when they were on their way to make sure that in case I didn't get the message right away because sometimes they said that the text messages could come 10 or 15 minutes behind when they're actually coming. So, I've been very impressed with all the Sears technicians that I've had to deal with. Also, for the most part, I've been happy with the results. The automated system is really easy to use.

HMS Home Warranty response

Charles, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with the service we provided. - Amanda

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I’ve had three claims with HMS. One was for my refrigerator. When we first moved in, it was leaking. And that was a fine experience with HMS. We had a technician come out and he fixed it right away. The second experience was my washing machine. I had someone come out, look at it and order a part. We had to wait a month for them to fix it. It was inconvenient, but they fixed it. The technicians were great. The first technician was wrong and his first diagnosis was wrong. The guy who came out to fix it with the part said, “The first one was wrong. He didn’t even need to wait for the part.” So, that ended up having a whole month wasted. But it was fine. It was fixed, which is what counts.

And so, the third experience was just last week with the heating system. That was an awful experience with the technician that came out. I called HMS on Saturday. The technician came out on Thursday and he was so rude. Once I told him I didn’t wanna buy a new system, he told me that HMS wouldn’t cover any of my claims if I didn’t right then buy a new system through him and that once he left my house, I would lose all my benefits from HMS. And so, he was pressuring me. He said it would be $1,000 they would pay towards my new system. They wouldn’t buy me a new system, but they would pay towards it. So, I was like, “I don’t wanna lose $1,000.” He was pressuring and then he said, “You can set this all up, and then when your husband comes home from work, you can talk about it. If you change your mind, you can just still call and cancel.” So, I said okay.

He ran my credit, and I talked to a lady on the phone. She said, “Okay, you’re approved.” I asked, “There are no repercussions that I change my mind, correct?” She said there was a restocking fee for all this equipment that I was ordering. I said he didn’t tell me any of this. I said I was told I could just change my mind. I said, “Forget this. I don’t want this line of credit. I don’t want anything to do with this. I don’t want a new system. I’ll call somebody else.” ‘Cause I wanted to be able to shop around for the best deal and research what system I wanted to get if I’m gonna purchase this new one.

He was saying I would lose everything no matter what if he left my house. He said, “Are you gonna believe the 16-year old secretary on the phone are you gonna believe me sitting here right in front of you?” I said, “I don’t know. I’m just telling you what she said. I want nothing to do with this. I’m gonna find my own way of doing this.” So, then he said, “She’s gonna be fired before I leave your driveway.” Then I said, “Just go ahead and go. Forget all this.” He left and marched out of my house. He never filed a report with HMS. I called HMS and they have no record he even was here. They never received a report from him. And then I thought I'd better call my bank.

I bank with Wells Fargo, and it was a no interest five-year loan for this thing. I said I was gonna call my bank back and maybe they could reverse the credit check that they did. So, I called and she said they definitely opened a $9,000 line of retail credit on my account. I called HMS and they wanted me to do all this stuff like take a picture of his report. They had no record he was here. And then, I talked to my bank, and they had escalated it to a fraud claim for A-Advantage.

The tech also lied to me about the age of my unit. He told me my unit was from 2007 and it’s from 2012. He tried to tell me my unit was too old to replace, that it would be too much repair, that’s why I needed to get a new one. But when the second technician came out that I called, he said, “He lied. It’s a 2012.” Then I called A-Advantage today ‘cause they were closed over the weekend and they said, “He didn’t know. He just misread the label.” I’m like, “Oh, you can read a label. I don’t know how old the system is, but how are you diagnosing what’s wrong with my system?” And I had it fixed within 20 minutes. The technician came out from the other company and fixed it in 15 minutes. It was a faulty wire.

HMS themselves has been very courteous. They have been great to deal with and it's not their fault at all. It’s this other company that they sent out. So, I would highly recommend that HMS screen their companies better and have a higher standard to what they do. Other than that, they’ve been fine. They also give really great texts that follow up with us and ask if I need any help. I get good email communication as well.

HMS Home Warranty response

Debbie, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. If you need further assistance with any claim, please respond with your full property address. - Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I've had the service of HMS for two years now and I was recommended to them by my Realtor. I haven't had any difficulty submitting a claim. It's a pretty easy process. I usually get someone out here within the week. The contractors I've had were professional and knowledgeable. However, they're usually not on time. That's the only problem that I have. I've had contractors give me a window of 1:00 to 5:00, and they may not show up until 8:00. And that's happened quite often. Also, when they come out, I get charged a fee every time. I would like to see that decreased. It's a little bit more than the company that I had before.

HMS Home Warranty response

Tiffane, We appreciate your honest feedback and will ensure its provided back to the organization to help improve our overall customer satisfaction. We’re glad that overall you’ve been pleased with your experience. - Austin

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I've had HMS for two years and kept renewing to have the reassurance knowing that if something goes wrong, I have someone that I can rely on to get that fixed. The few things that I've had had been repaired. They've had someone out here at an efficient time and the contractors fixed and resolved the problem. And then there haven't been any other issues since then.

David –Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! - Angela

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I honestly wish I could give negative stars or at least a 0. I would be here for hours explaining the past years' experience with this company so we are just going to hit the major points here... First called Hms 5-2018 (yes approx. 2 years ago). Explained that my electric on my 2nd floor is going in and out and at this point it has been out for about 7 days, they finally got someone to come out 7-2018 and by that point it was working again so after I paid the co-pay of 100.00 he stated that he can not do anything because it is now working for me. To call when it stops again, so takes us to 2-2019. Electric completely goes out again and I contact Hms. Tell them the deal again and the past experience and they schedule someone I contact to ensure we are all set and get to the appointment.

He never shows. I call. He says I didn’t have an appointment with him. I explained part of the conversation we had had and he then remembered and stated that he was just to busy to get to me but apologized and said he would get out there when I am available. But he would call me back because he’s in the field at that moment, moves us to about 2 and a half weeks later. I’m frustrated because he has yet to call me back so I call him and he doesn’t answer, I leave message and continue to call for next 3 days. Finally I call Hms and tell them, "Look this company is to busy to deal with me (I understand being busy within your company but you need to find some time to tend to new customers as well)."

They set me up with new company. Speak with a female at that company. She sets up an appointment and again this situation happens, I wish I were lying but this happened with a total of three companies before I get to one that comes out, checks the situation for ten minutes, tells us what he thinks it is and says he needs to do a more thorough assessment. I’m so excited he’s gonna call me back when he has time to come back out, at this point I was super patient Because I was so grateful that someone showed up finally. And did I mention I did have to pay another co-pay this time 50.00 because we changed our monthly payment plan.

So now to sum it up. That company never showed back up. Said they needed HMS to give them the ok for funds to come back out. I made sure to do that and gave them the confirmation and still they have not came back out or notified me of any future dates. I do have the company’s names which I will add to this as soon as I pull them out. So no supervisor from HMS has contacted me back even though I’ve called at least 15 times since this began asking for a supervisor or for one to contact me back. Still nothing at this point. We have contacted our lawyer and are in the process of taking action due to the contract. We are hopeful to get some sort of resolution, personally I would run from this company!!!!

HMS Home Warranty response

Cassandra, I’m sorry to hear that your claim has been mishandled, and my team wants to help expedite a resolution for you. Please respond with your full property address so we can locate your account and we will follow up with you personally to assist you. Sincerely, Amanda

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

So far, I've had three claims with HMS Home Warranty. The first was for my washer when I first moved in and that went fine. Then, I had somebody come out and look at my air conditioner. That time, all the contractor did was switch some wires but they did not fix the problem. When I switched the system over to heat, I had to have somebody else come out. I told the girl from HMS with whom I spoke to that I did not like the people who came the first time to work on my system. She responded saying that when the techs come, I should just tell them the problem. I had to call back again 'cause nobody called me. The second time I called, the rep got me a different contractor. When I talked to the second tech who came, he told me that he just fixed another system and that he knows the company that came first. He told me he knows what's wrong with my system and he fixed it. Now my furnace is fine.

I'm selling my house and the inspector said that he wanted somebody else to come out and do an inspection on my furnace. However, the tech who came the last time did not leave me paperwork on anything he'd done. He did not leave me a receipt. So, I hired somebody else to come out. That's $65 out of pocket. Moreover, when I talked to the rep from HMS to cancel my warranty, she said she'd email me something saying that I've canceled. I haven't gotten that email from her. Now, that rep is saying I have to pay $249 because I'm canceling my warranty on all my appliances. Despite these issues, I'd recommend HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Linda, I’m glad to hear we had the opportunity to make things right. We strive to make your home management needs easy and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we’re doing! Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

My appliances looked like they were okay when I bought the house. I bought my home on August 30th. Since I’ve been using my appliances, much like the rest of the house, I've found out they’re not okay. I need someone to come out and look at them ‘cause I’m sure at least three of them need to be replaced. The first two people that HMS sent were good and were prompt when they came in.

I had the electrical looked at because I didn’t understand how the electrical sockets ran here. Apparently, there were different switches and breakers and one of the contractors tripped a breaker. But he assured me everything was fine. So, that was worth the 100 bucks. Then I had a sump pump that wasn't working when I bought the house and it was never disclosed. We had HMS send someone out to replace the sump pump. The plumbers came in and they even looked at other stuff for me while they were here. They determined that there weren’t any big problems, so they went ahead and replaced the sump pump and left.

Now I'm waiting on one of the contractors to come. This was my third claim with HMS. They were supposed to be here between 1:00 and 3:00. They were calling me, but I couldn't answer the phone. These people might be good at what they do when they get here, but they’ve kept me waiting with a broken tailbone. I finally called them back and asked what was going on. The guy wanted to know if he could come earlier and I told him that he could.

At 1:25, no one came so I called back and they said that the guy went on his lunch break. They could’ve at least called back instead of going to his lunch. Also, if he was done with one job early and decided to take his lunch break ‘cause he couldn’t get to me, he still shouldn’t have been late especially since I’m only 40 minutes away from where his last job was. Overall, HMS has been okay but there have been inconveniences. They don’t have very many providers here where I'm at so I’m limited in what I can do. I actually had to take off work and that contributed to me losing my job recently. HMS needs to get some more contractors available to choose from.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lori, Our goal is to make managing home repairs easy, and we’re delighted to hear that the warranty service has met your expectations. Thanks for sharing! Sincerely, Amanda

HMS Home Warranty coverage exclusions

HMS Home Warranty covers failure of select systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. The policy does not cover deliberate or accidental damage due to abuse or misuse of covered items. HMS warranties do not cover the handling of hazardous materials or the fees associated with hauling away replaced systems or appliances.

In some cases, parts deemed nonessential to the core function of a system or appliance may not be covered. For example, while your kitchen appliances may be covered under your contract, components like doors, glass, seals, drawers, lightbulbs and fixtures may not be covered. You can find a full list of exclusions via HMS's sample agreement.

HMS Home Warranty coverage limits

HMS does have coverage limits, but they vary depending on which covered item is in question. They generally range from $1,000 to $3,000. If an item has a coverage limit or cap, you will be responsible for covering any cost beyond that dollar amount. Overall, we found HMS’s limits generous and on the higher side of average compared to the industry.

ItemHMS’s coverage limit
    Septic tank pumping$500
    Septic tank replacement$1,000
    Swimming pool heater$1,000

HMS Home Warranty claims

Claims can be filed 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. The process is straightforward and easy to do. To request service from HMS Home Warranty:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone to speak directly to an HMS customer care representative.
    2. HMS will assign a service partner to your claim within two hours during normal business hours and 24 hours during weekends and holidays
    3. The service provider will schedule a convenient time for the repair.
    4. During the visit, the service provider will diagnose and suggest repair or replacement.
    5. You will pay your service call fee and the work will be completed.

HMS Home Warranty FAQ

When will coverage begin on an HMS Home Warranty?

For existing homeowners, there is a standard 30-day waiting period after a warranty is purchased. This is true of most home warranty providers in the industry. If you purchase a warranty for a home you’re selling, coverage begins immediately upon enrollment. For home buyers, coverage will begin on your closing date.

Is there a cancellation fee for HMS Home Warranty?

Yes, a $25 processing fee will apply. Homeowners and buyers can cancel their home warranty with a 10-day written notice. Seller Home Warranties are non-cancelable.

Will HMS Home Warranty cover my older systems and appliances?

Yes. There is no age restriction placed on covered items. HMS only requires that they be in working condition at the time of enrollment.

What is a homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement?

You can qualify for up to $500 per year when you pay a deductible on a homeowners insurance claim while an active HMS customer. The reimbursement opportunity is available on the Home Buyers plan, and claims must be reported to HMS within 45 days.

What is HMS’s lodging reimbursement?

HMS will reimburse you for lodging fees up to $1,200 should you have to stay in a hotel/motel in the event your heating or cooling system is non-operational for more than 24 hours from the time of the first service visit, or due to flooding in your home because of a water pipe break.

Is HMS Home Warranty worth it?

HMS Home Warranty offers good coverage for buyers, sellers and existing homeowners alike, with the most available coverage available to homebuyers. While coverage isn’t as comprehensive as others we’ve seen, it covers all essential systems and includes several benefits we haven’t seen anywhere else, like homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement and lodging reimbursement. With these added benefits plus the premier upgrade package, we think HMS has more than enough to offer any homeowner.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information