Call toll free
(888) 490-2015
2.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

2241 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 6 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I am very disappointed with HMS customer service. I had submitted a claim for Pool pump 2 weeks back. I have been following up with Technician and he said that pump is being repaired. I followed up couple of times and I was told yesterday that HMS has declined the coverage. I never received any communication from HMS that claim is denied. I called them today and I was told that it's declined due to pre-existing condition. Prior to 2 weeks, pump has been running every night without any issues so not sure why HMS is calling it as a pre-existing issue. I had bought extended coverage that includes pool pump as per the agreement and now HMS has refused to cover the claim. Their customer service does not have any rationale as to why it is classified as pre-existing which is highly unprofessional. A fake company - NEVER BUY HMS WARRANTY!!

HMS Home Warranty response

Rohit, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items that may not be covered. Records indicate that you had previously had your unit worked on without our prior consent. I also regret you feel the policy has not benefited you. Regretfully, Austin

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I am a first time homebuyer and the seller bought a 1yr warranty with this company for me and I have tried my best to be grateful but every single time I have had to use my warranty it was a headache. There is no such thing as an emergency with them because maintenance appointments are AT A MINIMUM one week to 10 days out. They partnered with Sears whose technicians were HOURS late twice and didn't show the other time I had an appointment. I'm still trying to get my washing machine fixed now. If/when they fix it I am canceling this contract. It's not worth the headache.

HMS Home Warranty response

Sharla, I am sorry to hear about your experience, I assure you this is not the quality of service we aim to provide. We are reviewing your account and will give you a call as quickly as we can. Thank you for your continued patience. – Austin

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

For two and a half months I have been waiting on a claim for my refrigerator through HMS Home Warranty. Finally, the contractors determined what the problem is, and the customer service representative stated that our claim is not covered. We asked for her to identify the warranty language specifically that justified our claim not being covered, and the customer service agent was unable to provide the justification or proof that the claim was not covered. She referenced it not being covered as a result of a different item represented in the warranty, unrelated to our problem, so we continuously asked her to read us the part of the warranty that would prove that our claim was not covered, and she repeatedly refused to read that part of the claim. She also refused to give her name, even saying, "I have no name," and she refused to connect us with a supervisor.

She then repeatedly stopped talking to us on the phone to try to get us to hang up--every time she returned we asked to speak with a supervisor, and she refused to connect us. After an hour of asking politely to speak with a supervisor, this customer service representative hung up on me! I have never been treated so terribly as a customer in my life. I will never recommend this company to anyone ever again. I think it is a scam and that I have been wasting my money for years.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lily, It is clear that your experience was less than expected, and we did not meet your expectations. The service you have received from the representative your spoke with is unacceptable and I assure you that is not the type of service we aim to provide. Records indicate you have been in touch with a member of our Leadership team, she will continue to reach out until the final resolution. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and value your opinion. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have used HMS Home Warranty for 13 years. They have been mostly efficient; however, our most recent experience will have us not renewing our policy. We had a leak in our shower that we called about. We were originally referred to a plumber who never called, even after we left several messages. Upon calling back HMS, we did not feel listened or attended to. When next referred to another plumber, they too never returned our call. My wife called HMS back to express our frustrations and was told she could not speak with a supervisor, one would call us back in a day. This never happened. So 2 weeks we have not seen a plumber not have we’ve spoken with a supervisor. Under no circumstances would I recommend HMS to any homeowner looking for a warranty contract.

HMS Home Warranty response

Michael, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are not always provided with the availability for our service partners. I can understand your disappointment with the companies not showing up or giving you a call back. Recent records indicate that since we have received this review that your claim has been reassigned to another provider and you now have a scheduled appointment on Friday. Please let me know if you need further assistance with your claim, and I will follow up with you personally to further address your concerns and help any way I can. Sincerely, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I will make this as brief as possible even though I could write a book about this 2 month process and counting. Our refrigerator went out when we moved into our first home in September. The compressor failed and there was no way of knowing if it had gone it before we moved in, or between closing and move in. Below is a list of the problems we had with HMS.

Service company that deductible is paid to. The 1st company recommended never showed, wasted my time, and long story short doesn’t exist. HMS sent out a different company, we paid our $100 and the claim was denied. Claim was auto-denied because it was submitted too quickly. HMS did not auto-refund our “deductible.” HMS would reopen claim but needed an inspection report because problem was deemed pre-existing. Would call us in 3-5 days. No call back. After calling HMS back, they needed another 7-10 days. Was told denial would be reversed. 10 days go by, no call. Called back HMS, they need additional info.

This has been a cat and mouse battle since 9/10, today I was finally contacted for the 1st time without me calling in and checking up, and claim still denied. This company is awful and the customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. Reps say one thing, never follow through, give false dates for review, and the company will not honor their own warranty agreement. I would never recommend HMS to anyone and hope this helps others avoid this money trap.

HMS Home Warranty response

Tyler, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. I regret that you may feel as if the policy has not benefited you. I've located your account and will have a member of my team review and give you a call accordingly. Thanks, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Updated on 11/07/2018: HMS claims that I never received pre-approval in order to receive reimbursement based on two jobs following HMS' technician's wrong diagnosis. Pre-approval however is irrelevant to HMS' technician errors and HMS verbal and contractual promises of reimbursement. The customer received the WRONG ADVICE from HMS' TECH, and based on that FACT, I was told I would receive reimbursement. HMS' TECH said I did not have a filter and that I needed coils cleaned, which as a maintenance issue, I fully know was not covered.

However, the coils were fine! So I paid an extra $100 for someone to come out because of HMS tech's incompetence. Based on HMS TECH providing the wrong info, I was supposed to receive reimbursement. HMS requested a report and receipt, both of which were emailed at least twice. I then needed a second tech because it was not the coils, and HMS REFUSED to locate/send someone based on the repair affecting a family medical condition (nice to know they're a company that cares about family and its customers -- HA!).

HMS failing to reimburse the customer based on its tech's wrong diagnosis is a flagrant disregard of its own warranty, page six: "You won't pay a cent if subsequent work is required due to an issue with our initial repair." Seriously? HMS' quack of a mechanic was WRONG and did NOTHING, yet the customer gets stuck with the bill. HMS is an incompetent, immoral company.

Further, on 8/31, 7:31 PM, an HMS representative called and sad I would receive full reimbursement. This is the second HMS STAFF who gave verbal confirmation. This conversation is recorded but HMS refuses to release the tape. Perhaps if HMS followed directions and honored its warranty and verbal word then it wouldn't have lost another customer. I urge anyone to look around at other companies that are as much as 33% cheaper than HMS. HMS is truly a pathetic joke:

* HMS staff lies about reimbursement (Fact: Check the tapes). * HMS violates its own warranty by failing to account for incurring and repaying customers for unnecessary charges -- why would a customer seek pre-approval on a job that he knows is not covered? Better question: What is HMS' technician screening process that sends a tech who can't even open a cooling system and hypothesizes the remedy? Their tech did though offer to sell me an $8,000 new unit, and to clean the coils for $900, which another tech said he would do for a $250.

* HMS takes months to reply to claims over email, and HMS staff lies about email response time that it takes "3 to 5 days" (Fact: Check the tapes). * HMS refuses to send a tech when the repair involves the medical condition of a family member (i.e. cooling system), and then refuses to reimburse the customer when the appropriate paperwork is submitted (FACT: Was told this by staff -- check the tapes). * HMS said to receive reimbursement for the misdiagnosis, to email the receipts and reports of technicians (FACT: Check the tapes) -- then denied customer.

* HMS said it denied my claims because it was not a misdiagnosis because it was still a filter issue -- which one is it? A denial over the filter? A denial over the pre-approval? HMS will change the script but either way, their Tech FAILED to rectify it upon his visit that led to subsequent orders of other techs -- OWN IT HMS. Your service is horrible, your high volume of low reviews speak for themselves. Really slimy company that displays ignorance, lack of comprehension, and selective self-awareness. Stay away and beware!

Original Review: Really dishonest and immoral practices by a horrible company that's best left avoided. They violate their own contract by failing to reimburse expenses incurred by their technician's errors; contradict assurances of reimbursement on the phone (and in contract) by denying customers' claims online; and also fail to even provide service providers.

First, which is morally reprehensible, if you have family in the home with a medical issue affected by the item that needs repair -- such as a family member in a heatwave affected by the broken cooling system -- HMS refuses to locate a provider and puts 100% of the onus on the customer to locate a technician, which the customer can then be reimbursed for after submitting receipts. Spoiler alert: HMS did not reimburse. Additionally, after waiting for HMS to send serviceman for five days, he proved to be beyond incompetent by just staring at the system, hypothesizing, and naturally misdiagnosed it for a maintenance service, which HMS does not cover; I then needed to find not one but two service providers, all based off the initial tech. It was with the second service provider when HMS said they could not locate a tech due to the repair affecting a family member's medical condition.

HMS then promised twice over the phone to provide a full reimbursement since their tech was wrong and incurred further expenses, and since they refused to locate a provider through their system. The second staff said I'd receive a refund in 3-5 days, and in true HMS fashion, it took them 2 months to send an automated email response of denial.

This company is beyond useless in that it may not only fail to send a service provider, but when it does, its providers misdiagnose issues that the customer pays for. Ironically the contract promises reimbursement for such incidents, which in theory sounds nice, but it does not happen. In fact, useless is doing nothing, which for HMS would be nice, but their incompetence will cost its customers (ie victims) time and money, and teeters on downright negligence by becoming detriment in every way possible, including your family's health if it depends on the repair.

One final note: I find it ironic that HMS responds w/in days to reviews on this public site, but to its paying customers internally, it takes months to receive an electronic response; and if customers call, prepare to set aside at least one to two hours of phone transfers, holds, etc. On the positive side, HMS stealing its customer's money by violating its contract has allowed me to a locate a much more affordable company that covers the same services; and it's a pleasure to warn anyone NOT to trust such a crooked company with your home repairs -- your time, wallet, and family's health will regret it, and will thank you for avoiding this conglomerate of con-artists. Consider yourself warned!

HMS Home Warranty response

Joseph, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. Records indicate your company did not follow proper Owner-Co procedures. All work must have prior approval before we can allow any form of reimbursement. Unfortunately it seems that you did not follow the proper expectations that we presented to you when we first allowed for you to get your own company. I regret that you have also cancelled your policy with us. We have sent a denial letter to you for your records. Regretfully, Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Microwave gave trouble last year and was fixed within 2 weeks. Same issue this year and HMS sent a third party now (SEARS). They have come thrice with two weeks between and were not able to resolve. They keep ordering parts and now they don't have a part to fix it and are searching for the part for 3 weeks now. Called SEARS and very BRUTE response. Called HMS and they say to call SEARS to get it fixed. Looking for a better warranty and also planning to go to small claims court on this issue. Been more than 2 months to just fix a microwave.

HMS Home Warranty response

Nagarjuna, We regret to hear you are considering going to a different warranty provider. Your HMS Home Warranty aims for easy, efficient, and reputable service companies for our homeowners. We hope you reconsider and continue to be a member with our company. - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I would definitely not recommend buying a home warranty with this company. They have wasted hours of my time on hold, told me my claim is under review, and have not helped fix the problem with my dishwasher and clothes washer even though I submitted a home inspection report as they requested. I paid $100 deductible and nothing was fixed. At this point I do not even think this is a real company. They take your money and do nothing. Do not waste your money or your time.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lauren, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. I have located your account and will have my team review and follow up with you accordingly. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

The first time I submitted a claim to HMS, nobody called me back. I didn't know what happened but there should have been somebody on the phone that was trained. So, I just replaced the dishwasher. The second time though, it was very satisfactory. It was also a very good experience dealing with the technicians who came. HMS is a good company.

Jane, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate it. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We've submitted several claims with HMS Home Warranty over the years and for the most part, they have been responsive and have followed up to make sure that the work was completed so we have been satisfied with it. I've always been very skeptical about these types of programs but so far, over the past three and a half years that we've had this home, they've answered questions. They've been reliable and the people they've sent out have always done a good job. I would recommend them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Alan, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were extremely pleased. Thanks for the kind words. – Christine

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

HMS Home Warranty was part of my mortgage from a long time ago. Their reps are very responsive and they tend to know what they are talking about. I could get the claims handled quickly. I usually get an email or text confirmation right away. The technicians that they sent were able to come by usually the next business day and they’ve been professional. HMS has been a nice insurance policy against things that have broken and I'd recommend it.

Joseph, Excellent service is what we aim to provide! – Austin

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

We bought our house many years ago and the owner who was selling it had a warranty with HMS, and they had paid for the year. So, when it came around, we decided to just continue with it. Whenever I submit a claim, I call them and say what needs to be done. They give me the work order number, tell me who to call, and I do it. I pay my deductible and they get it taken care of. The interactions with the reps were also perfect. I couldn’t ask for anybody nicer. They're very good. However, we had one problem. The tech came out and did the service. And he said he was gonna go back, and talk to the manager, to see about getting a couple things done. And it turns out the gentleman that was there that came out, left. When I talked to the company about a month later, they said that he had closed the account and everything up at the very end. But I knew it was still open.

I haven't heard anything. Nobody seems to know anything because the tech didn’t put any notes to the computer regarding what needed to be done and didn’t tell them anything. So he was long gone before I even knew. The manager was supposed to call me, and let me know what was going on, and when it will be done. After a month, when I hadn't heard anything, I called them, and I asked about it, and that’s when I found out he'd left the company and didn’t put anything in the computer as to what he had told me.

Even so, everybody has been very professional. They’ve done everything. They come in and they take care of anything that needs to be done that they're there for. No questions asked. I had no problems with anybody. The quality of the work done is also very good. I have not had anybody else that I've had to call to come out and correct anything. I'm very pleased with everything. There's never a hesitation about us continuing with the coverage. They’ve been there. I couldn’t ask for anybody easier to talk to.

HMS Home Warranty response

Karen, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear that we’ve been able to provide you with peace of mind for your home management needs. – Christine

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

One of the companies we used when we bought our house gave us a free one year warranty with HMS. We've had HMS going on for two years now and everything’s going very well. We’ve needed them more than what I would wished for and my experience with them has been good. Submitting claims have been very easy and I do it online. The technicians who have come have been very good and professional. Overall, I’ve been very happy with HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

John,  It is our pleasure to give great customer service and offer stress-free repairs. Thank you for taking the time to share your claim experience with us. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We got HMS Home Warranty when we bought our house and we have been with them for five years now. When we need their service, we know that they’ll find us somebody. When I submit our claims over the phone, their reps have always been very helpful. Also, the technicians that they have sent were very good. They always tell us when they're coming and they always show up when they say. If they had a problem, they have let us know why they can't come. HMS saved us money. We also have peace of mind that if we have a problem, they will solve it for us.

HMS Home Warranty response

Virginia, Our goal is to provide our homeowners with superb service and we are happy to hear we have met this objective. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I bought the home warranty from HMS when I bought my new house. 2 months after I got my new house the heat pump went out, I called for service the tech they said they would send never showed up. So I called again. That tech also never showed up even though I talked to him 2 times. So I then called HMS back for a 3rd time. Asked about me getting my own company to look at it. They said that was fine but they would only wholesale price on the parts and labor, I said ok. My people came out said I needed a new unit that there is no parts available anymore for the system. So I had the system replaced. When I submitted all the paperwork and then waited 4 months. I called HMS to get an update on my claim and I was told it was rejected since I didn't use their vendors to do the work even though I was told I could use my own shop to do the work. The company is a complete joke, whatever you do don't waste your money.

HMS Home Warranty response

Anthony, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and you must have approval before you repair or replace any unit. This is considered unauthorized work and we are unable to approve your reimbursement. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The wall oven repair request was submitted back on July 3, 2018. It is almost 4 months now. I'm also waiting to hear back on a dryer repair. I have been extremely patient and cordial to resolve this matter. I am at the end of my patience. I hope I do not have to carry out my course of actions below. Wall oven: Service Order # ** Dryer: SCCL8S2BXS-4. I spoke with Sherry at HMS on 10/23/18 3:30 pm. She told me the wall oven case was closed.

I told her if I do not hear back from the company with resolutions by Friday 10/26/18 I will proceed with the following actions: Contact Florida Attorney General and Office of Insurance Regulation to file a complaint. Florida Attorney General - AG Office and Phone Numbers. Florida Attorney General - AG Office and Phone Numbers. Official website of the Florida Attorney General.

Contact New Jersey Attorney General, Department of Banking and Insurance and Real Estate Commission and Consumer Affairs to file a complaint. State of New Jersey. The state of New Jersey's official Website is the gateway to NJ information and services for residents, visitor... NJDOBI How To Request Assistance - Consumer Inquiries and Complaints https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/. File complaints with BBB of New Jersey and Florida. BBB Online Complaint System | Get Started. Post complaints on Social Media. File a lawsuit.

HMS Home Warranty response

T Kim, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience. We have located your account and are looking into alternate resolutions to your claim. We will follow up with you as soon as our review is completed. – Thanks Austin

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

My HVAC claim was initiated in May and is still not resolved. My home has been without air conditioning all summer and now without heat as temperatures dip below freezing. I have taken 3 days off work to wait for a HMS Home Warranty service provider that never showed up. I've spent a week attempting to resolve the issue on the phone but can never reach an individual authorized to make a decision. I have been promised a call from "authorizations" and have never gotten one (even though there is a need to verify my contact information even though I've called every day for a week). I don't know what HMS Home Warranty considers an appropriate response time but it appears they are attempting to wait out the clock until my warranty expires. It also appears the business model is to frustrate customers until they are fatigued and find another solution to the problem. I do not recommend this company.

HMS Home Warranty response

Rob, I’m sorry to hear about this experience.  It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. Your feedback is very important to us and we have provided back to the organization, in an effort to make improvements with customer service and our processes. I have located your account and will have my team reach out as soon as we can. I thank you for allowing us another opportunity to address your concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Everything's fine for the 2 years I've had HMS so far, and I haven’t had any issues so I keep renewing it. I've filed a claim twice and the submission process was easy. The representatives have been great and the technicians both did a great job. They both came out right away and took care of everything. They were very nice too. The problem with my refrigerator took a little bit of time for the parts to come but that wasn't anybody’s fault. I’ve already told lots of my friends about HMS and that they should have a home warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Sara, Our goal is to provide our homeowners with superb service and we are happy to hear we have met this objective. Thanks! Austin

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

When I bought my house, the people that were selling it offered HMS warranty, which I have renewed since. I'm in my second year with them now and have submitted two claims so far. I had an easy experience on the first one, but on the second one, they had some issues with the scheduling software. It wasn’t accurate on the availability of the person or the company that was gonna be doing the work. So I had to call back several times to get a company out there that was available on the week that I needed them. The people that worked on my claims have done really good and it has been great dealing with them. Also, all the customer service people at HMS are very nice, accommodating, and helpful.

HMS Home Warranty response

Nancy, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are constantly changing process to better our customer experience. We're happy to hear we have delivered. Have a great day! - Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

When I purchased my home, my real estate agent recommended getting a home warranty through HMS. I've had their coverage since February. When I submitted a claim for my HVAC, I did it over the phone. They gave me a number and set up an appointment with somebody who never returned my calls or voicemails. I had to get another company and when they came out, they couldn’t do anything yet. They had to let the system cool down because it had some frozen Freon. They were supposed to come back but they didn't. They canceled on me. Then, they sent an email saying that nothing was gonna be covered and the repairs were gonna be at least $465 and that it was gonna take between one and four weeks to get everything done.

I could be without AC for four weeks. Also, they charged me a $100 deductible via Square. They took my credit card down to their van and they were taking forever. It was weird. They didn’t have an actual invoice and then, they emailed me later on an estimate of what they think was wrong without even seeing the unit. When they were still there, they said I would gonna need a lot of repairs such as a new coil, freon, among others and they're not gonna be covered by my home warranty. They suggested that I might as well buy a new AC unit through them and it's gonna be about $5,100. I called HMS and told them everything. I then asked if they were not gonna cover any of the repairs like the company said. The lady on the phone said it was true. None of that is covered because it had to do with the refrigerant.

Other than that, when I used HMS for our washer-dryer repair, the second company that they sent out was excellent. The first one never returned any of my calls or voicemails. This one, which is BAR appliance was responsive and did a wonderful job. In closing, whenever I call HMS, I can get through them. The people are nice and helpful too. It just seems to be like the contractors that are an issue.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jessica, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are constantly changing process to better our customer experience. We're happy to hear we have delivered. Have a great day! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

When I purchased my home, the realtor agent gave me an HMS home warranty and I have been with them for a year now. My overall experience with them is great. The person who came to take care of the AC issue was good. Schedule-wise was a little bit off but that was understandable. I managed a little bit of the schedule and it worked out. I like the service for the first time claim and so I decided to extend my warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Simegn, We appreciate your loyalty and are delighted to hear that we’ve been delivering on our promises and making your home management needs easy. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Called HMS to get electric baseboard heat unit fixed. First call lasted 15 minutes, 3 different people, and they forwarded me to Sears service and repair. Sears had no record of my warranty. Recalled HMS - couldn't understand a word they were saying. Recalled HMS again, immediately transferred to Sears. Gave up and placed a claim online. No options for baseboard heating, so I selected HVAC. Got a text with order number and a local company that has 2.5 star rating. Called them to make sure they work on BASEBOARD HEATING, which they do. Will call back in the morning with an appointment time. At this point, knowing I'll have a $100 deductible to pay AND working with a company that has such a poor rating, I'm thinking about dropping this warranty. Too much frustration trying to get something fixed.

HMS Home Warranty response

Sherri, We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. This is definitely not what we want our customers to experience, but I assure you we aim to provide top-level service technicians. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had found out about 3 weeks ago that my heat exchanger has gas leak erosions, so the vendor had to turn off the gas/heat in my house. It's now been 3 weeks of lies and BS from Home Warranty and I doubt they ever order the equipment. The vendor hired to repair the equipment are just as frustrated as I am. I am about ready to file a complaint with the NC Attorney General's office. It is 46 degrees outside and I'm wearing boots and a coat in the house. This is NOT how a home warranty should EVER work. Skip this company - more headaches than you can imagine. I'll probably have to order my own repair vendor and then I'll take home warranty to court to recoup the costs. SO DISAPPOINTING!

HMS Home Warranty response

Leigh, I am sorry to hear about your experience, I assure you this is not the quality of service we aim to provide. We are reviewing your account and will give you a call as quickly as we can. Thank you for your continued patience. – Austin

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I was informed by the tech my heat pump needs to be replaced. I am not thrilled about the 2 choices HMS offers. I was also told there is no longer a cash option, that is not mentioned in my service agreement. No one seems to be able to tell me the correct information either. Very troubled by this process.

HMS Home Warranty response

M D, I am sorry to hear about your experience, I assure you this is not the quality of service we aim to provide, for all HVAC claims, we are no longer offering a cash credit. Regretfully, Austin

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I've been with HMS for a little over 10 years now and they've been pretty good. It was very easy filing a claim. The reps have been really professional and HMS gets people out there to fix stuff. The technicians have all been pretty good although I might have a complaint on one of them. Otherwise, I would refer HMS to friends.

HMS Home Warranty response

Shawntae, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I've had HMS Home Warranty since 2013 and I've had a good experience with them. I submitted a couple of claims with the washing machine being the latest one, and it was resolved very quickly. We were able to buy a new washing machine from the settlement they gave us. It was the same with our sump pump last year, which they also did immediately.

When submitting a claim, I like to call because then they'll give me an actual phone number for somebody and I'll call the person to come out and schedule my time. Their reps are easy to deal with. I've also had good experiences with their contractors although some of them takes a few days to get out. Other than that, the quality of work done is excellent and the cost is reasonable.

HMS Home Warranty response

Elizabeth, Thank you for choosing us, we are happy that we have met your expectations, and have provided you with prompt and helpful service. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We placed a service call on our stovetop burners 4-29-18. After several companies found that they did not service our brand, one person showed up who did. Unfortunately he brow our exhaust fan while he was there. after a few weeks they came back with only 2 of the 4 parts for the burner and didn't repair the exhaust. Eventually that company would not take our phone calls so we placed another order. A company came out, said they would order parts. Supposedly parts came in a few weeks ago so we called the repair company and they said they would get them. They have not returned. I have called and emailed HMS with no response.

HMS Home Warranty response

Julie, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I understand your frustrations. We have located your account and are looking into alternate resolutions to your range claim. We will follow up with you as soon as our review is completed. – Thanks, Austin

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

HMS left me high and dry over this past weekend, when the weather turned cold and I had no heat. If it left it up to them, I would still have no heat. I had to call my own heating contractor to get my problem fixed. HMS kept sending me names of contractors that did not work on condo furnace systems. When I told the rep that, he said to call him back for the one who did as his order number was cancelled. When I called back, I got no one just the automated system. I cancelled and resubmitted 3-4 times to get different contractors, none of whom responded.

`

When I suggested HMS should reimburse me my expenses less my deductible for the company that DID come out Saturday and replaced my broken thermostat, this was their response: "I regret to hear of this! I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and work that has been completed without our prior consent or authorization is considered unauthorized work. A request for reimbursement will be denied for that reason. Else, I might as well not have a home warranty service contract." Guess I prefer heat over a cold home when I paid for a service that was not performing AT ALL!!!"

HMS Home Warranty response

Marie, Again I regret that this has been your outcome. You had work completed without our prior approval. I have included the relevant portions of your contract for your reference below. Sincerely, Austin

III. SERVICE
3. All repair and/or replacement work covered by this Agreement must be performed by an independent contractor and approved by us in advance. We are not responsible for expenses you incur without our express consent. We will not reimburse you for any costs associated with unauthorized repairs or work performed by unauthorized contractors.
IV. GENERAL EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS

15. This Agreement does not cover any mechanical failure when the covered item or system has been repaired, modified, disabled or adjusted in any way which prevents us or our independent contractor(s) from inspecting, diagnosing and/or repairing the mechanical failure. This Agreement does not cover any mechanical failure to any covered item or system that has been improperly altered, repaired, installed, modified or damaged in the course of remodeling or unauthorized repair.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

HMS' service is nice. Everybody I talked to a couple of times was great. They responded fast and came out fast. I used them as a mortgage so the home warranty was included for a year. My experience submitting a claim was great. The technician who came explained everything, how to use everything, and what to do with the garbage disposal. There were no issues in the work he did and it was great quality. When the warranty expires, I'm gonna look into it too.

HMS Home Warranty response

Yvette, Thank you for choosing us, we are happy that we have met your expectations, and have provided you with prompt and helpful service. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

When I bought a house, my agent purchased HMS Home Warranty for the first year. I've filed claims with them and the customer service response while submitting a claim was great. But sometimes, I felt that the person they sent out used to be in jail especially for those who came for plumbing. Their lack of knowledge was not good. And they seemed unprofessional. One person came out for at least five times for the same problem. He said he fixed it. The next day, I went downstairs and I had a flood in my basement where the laundry room is. Because of his disposition, I did not feel comfortable to complain about him.

The only one that hadn't made me uneasy was the person who came out for my heating system. He was the most professional one, but I had to ask HMS to please send me someone from a professional company and not one of these little contractors that were working on their own. I shouldn't had to ask them that. That should be given. It's time for me to renew, but I'm not sure that I'm going to renew with them. I'm very dissatisfied and I would never recommend them to someone because if something happens to that person, like being robbed in their house, then that's gonna be on me.

HMS Home Warranty response

Dorene, I am sorry to hear about this experience. It sounds like we’ve let you down. I assure you that we aim for all our service partners to be top-level in your area. I hope you are able to renew with us and let us lead you in our home warranty for best service. Best Regards, Austin

HMS Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

HMS Home Warranty, a member of Cross Country Home Services, has been providing home warranties for more than 30 years in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. The company has special tools to help real estate agents who must manage multiple home warranties.

• Service providers: HMS has a network of more than 40,000 service professionals throughout its coverage area. The company screens providers to make sure they have the appropriate licenses and insurance for their state.

• Claims hours: Home warranty customers can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even on holidays, by calling the company or logging on to their online account.

• Instant coverage for sellers: Home sellers who sign up for the warranty receive immediate coverage, pay at closing in most states and have 180 days of coverage with an optional extension if the home is still listed with a real estate agent.

• Emergency lodging reimbursement: Homeowners whose HVAC system is non-operational for more the 24 hours after they make a service call and those who experience a waterline break that isn’t fixed within 24 hours can receive reimbursement for hotel lodging for the days they must be out of their home.

• Marketopedia: Real estate professionals will appreciate HMS’s Marketopedia tool. The cloud-based service allows real estate agents to manage all aspects of the HMS warranties for homes they’re selling. It also features marketing tools to help them grow their businesses.

• Best for: real estate agents, first-time homebuyers, home sellers and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information