2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

For over 40 years Cinch Home Services (formerly HMS Home Warranty) has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

Cinch is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 18,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

BOTTOM LINE

HMS offers plans for all stages of home ownership. While there are some limitations in standard coverage, all essential items are covered, and a variety of add-on options are available to customize your plan.

PROS

• Customizable coverage for buyers
  • Emergency lodging reimbursement
  • No waiting period for sellers
  • Plans for all real estate stages

CONS

• High deductible
  • Full coverage subject to add-on fees

Top HMS Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. [The plumber] assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them...

I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked.

HMS Home Warranty plans

Buying a home can be intimidating, but a home warranty can give you peace of mind and reduce the cost of expensive repairs or replacements. HMS Home Warranty offers plans that cover all of the major systems in your home, from plumbing and electrical to the HVAC system.

HMS offers plans to customers nationwide through more than 40,000 local service representatives and offers 24/7 customer service. HMS offers the following types of warranty plans:

• Seller: Designed for someone selling a home that wants coverage while the home is on the market. Covers major appliances and systems.
  • Buyer Conversion: Begins with the seller while the home is on the market, then is transferred to the buyer once the home is purchased.
  • Buyer Direct: Can be purchased by a home buyer at the time of closing. HMS offers advanced coverage only available for buyer plans.
  • New Home: Coverage begins one year after the sale closes, which is typically when a builder’s warranty would expire.
  • Open Direct: This plan is for existing homeowners. Anyone can purchase this type of plan at any time. Becomes effective 30 days after the plan is purchased.

HMS Home Warranty cost

The average cost for an HMS Home Warranty is around $40–$50 per month, which is in line with the industry average. Their service call fee, the amount you’ll pay for a technician to come to your home (also known as a deductible) varies by region.. The Premier Upgrade Plan is available for an additional $89 of $99 each year, depending on where you live.

Because prices vary by location and plan selected, to get an accurate quote for your home, you’ll need to request a quote directly from HMS.

PlanStarting Monthly Cost
Buyer$37 ($449/year)
Seller$32 ($449/year)
New Home$46 ($549/year)
* Prices quoted for Houston, Texas. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

HMS Home Warranty coverage

HMS covers a good selection of home systems and appliances. Coverage availability may differ slightly between warranty plans, with homebuyers having the widest selection of coverage options.

All HMS Warranty plans cover:

• Kitchen appliances
  • Jetted tub
  • Sump pump
  • Water heater

Air conditioning, washer and dryer may also be covered depending on your location.

*Additional fee applies on seller plans

Optional coverage for home buyers:

• Outside gas lines
  • Outside sewer and water lines
  • Pools/spas
  • Septic tanks
  • Water softeners
  • Well pump systems

*Add-on prices range from $40-205 per item.

Premier Upgrade Package:
When purchased, the Premier Upgrade Package (PUP) will provide buyers with up to $1,000 of coverage for non-covered charges associated with a covered repair or replacement. It provides coverage for items not typically included in home warranty contracts like duct, electrical and plumbing modifications, code upgrades and permits.

HMS Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: May 15, 2020

The Realtor that we used when we relocated to Cincinnati suggested that we ask for a home warranty on the house that we purchased and she was the one that recommended HMS. We’ve had it for about 18 years now. Submitting a claim to them was just like every other company. It started off where I would talk to a live person a lot. Now, it’s not so easy to do that. I have to follow quite a few prompts through the voicemail to finally talk to a live person. It’s become more automated. Over the years, it’s gotten more and more difficult. Like for the renewal, for example. Three years ago, there was a rep that would call and talk about renewing the policy. Now, I'd get three emails and one thing in the mail, and that’s about it. It was not so much buyer-friendly. But that was what stood out about them. I’ve checked other companies over the years, and I found them more customer-friendly than the other ones at that time.

The contractors that came out were probably not the best known for the area that I currently live but the equipment and the panel trucks they drive in are usually decent shapes. All the ones that we’ve had in Florida always wore a uniform and they look respectable. It’s not like we're getting a third-rate person to come and fix the air conditioner. Their quality of work is good.

However, I had a couple of hiccups. I live in about an hour south of Sarasota in Florida and an hour north of Fort Myers and the problem is HMS doesn’t have contractors in my little town. It’s always somebody that has to drive an hour or an hour and 15 minutes to get to my home. There’s not a lot of vendors to choose from that wanna travel to my area. That’s the first thing. So, a lot of times, if it’s in July and I'd get an air conditioner issue, the contractors that would service here are booked solid. But they show up within their allotted time of 48 hours being here. When I lived in Cincinnati, it was much easier because I live closer to the city. I could call and get someone out the same day or the next day.

When my air conditioner was out, I called HMS on a Friday night at 5:30, which was terrible because the contractors were all closed at 5:00 on Fridays, and they'd have skeleton crews that work on Saturday for fixing air conditioners. HMS gave me a company’s name and telephone number so I called then the phone actually rolled to a different number and it rang, and I got a voice mail, and I left a voice mail. I didn’t get any callback Friday night. I called Saturday morning at 8:00, then I called again at 10:00. I called again at noon. Finally, a guy picked up the phone and pretty much cussed me out once I’ve done the other because I was bothering him so much. I told him that it was the number that I got and that it was rolling to his phone from a business phone as I was not dialing it direct. It was Monday morning before I could talk to anyone, but it wasn’t HMS’ fault. It was the contractor.

What happened was the girl that works for the office was sick that day and the boss routed the phone to the wrong phone number. He made a typo. Instead of 4 5, he typed in 4 6, and this poor guy was kinda upset. He was getting phone calls at all times of day and night so I felt sorry for him. Then I said that I wanted somebody else to come out. It was 88 degrees and humidity was 88%. I couldn’t go without air conditioning. Once it was resolved, the guy came out the next day. He had to order the part, but they were able to bypass the issue to make the air conditioner run until they got the new circuit board in, and then they came back and fixed it. So, it worked out fine, but it was kinda stressful from Friday night till Monday morning.

HMS Home Warranty response

Thanks for sharing your experience Tim. We appreciate your feedback to help improve our customer satisfaction. - Austin

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: May 14, 2020

The Realtor that sold us the house 20 years ago recommended we keep the warranty. We have had to submit several claims. Most of them have been very good. However, I have a complaint, and that is that it seems like HMS switches contractors quite often. For instance, we had a contractor sold Carriers when he replaced the air conditioner the first time. And then about 12 years later, when they had to replace the air conditioner again, it was a Goodman contractor. We objected because it was a real hot summer and we’ve already been five or six weeks since we contacted them. And I’m a heart patient and we were just dying in the house almost.

Finally we got it straightened out and then they wanted to put, what I considered, an off brand air conditioner in. I said, “Now, wait a minute. We had a Carrier in here and the Carrier we had replaced earlier, I believe it might have been Chrysler or Carrier, but it was a big name brand when it was installed.” And so they got back with me a few days later and said, “Well, we can give you a Carrier, but it’s gonna be another 10 days, two weeks, before we could get it here.” We had no choice but had to go with the cheaper brand. Something we never heard of. We had to go with it. We got stuck with an off brand that we never heard of and we thought that we should have been advised of that by HMS, “We’re gonna send you an off brand air conditioner. But it’s good and we think it’ll do you the job.” If they’re going to switch brands on us, or force us to switch brands, they ought to tell us beforehand.

And then HMS, objected because it was a five-ton unit that the man ordered. And he told them, “Wait a minute. It’s replacing a five-ton unit. And this big house, it’s gonna take every bit of that.” He was right. Another ton or two probably would have been more adequate than what we got. So we probably are paying a little more each month in utilities and wear and tear on the machine also that we would otherwise.

So, the guy that came out and did it knew his business. He wasn’t real good on bookkeeping or paper keeping, but as far as the air conditioner went, he always gave me answers that were in line with what I understood. And my father-in-law was a air conditioning contractor for about 40 years in the Texas Metroplex, and then I certified in air conditioning repair. I don’t know a whole lot about it, but I do have a better understanding of certain aspects of it. And this last man, his technical knowledge and understanding seemed just like it ought to be. He got stuck with some folks who had been out of air conditioning for five or six weeks. But he was a gentleman about it and was very nice. We really liked him.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jim, First and foremost we would like to express our sincere gratitude for allowing us to service your home warranty needs for so many years! We are glad to know that overall your experience has been positive. We also appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience that didn’t live up to your expectations. This information is useful in our ongoing efforts toward striving to be the best in the business! We look forward to many more years of partnership! Sincerely, Dena

Original review: March 9, 2020

HMS has provided us with quality service because they allow me to request a certain vendor that they have. I’ve had them since 2004 and I’ve been quite pleased with the experience. I like that they give you a variety of options in terms of packages and things of that nature. They probably don’t want that out there, but I like being able to request who I want because if not, I’m gonna spend more money because I’ve had different fly-by-night people that they have and you have to keep calling back and getting different people. It’s easier if you know who’s good.

HMS is the devil we know. We’re used to them. These warranty companies are not that great and this one, I know how they operate. Submitting claims is usually okay. I will request certain vendors that I know are excellent and they allow me. I’ve only had a couple of times where they’ve given me flack over it. Another reason I keep them is because I know who their vendors are. And for heating and air issues or plumbing, there’s one particular vendor who is professional, on time, and they know our home. I’ve paid extra for additional services where when they do a claim for me, they may need to do something a little bit extra that the claim doesn’t cover, so I pay a little bit extra for that service as well. And I’m willing to do that. It's a kind of extra layer protection because our house is a little over 30 years old.

I don’t like some of the contractors though. I’ve had issues with some different plumbers and things. And in 2017, I had a really big issue. It ended up being a great thing that led me to a huge homeowner’s claim. It should’ve been covered, but the guy said, “No,” another person said, “Yes.” It was with Sears. I just ended up having to file a homeowner’s claim. I have a whole new updated kitchen. I had to purchase some things and do some things that I didn’t really want to. I had to put myself kind of in a hole, but it worked out. So if HMS didn’t allow me to request one of their vendors, then I would probably slip away after all the money I’ve spent over the years.

Back in 2009, it took a long time when our AC unit downstairs went out. They replaced that. And I was without AC from April 30th until the middle of June all because they kept going back-and-forth. It was like when you have a major catastrophe that’s covered in there, they do take a while to complete the claim. For large claims, it shouldn’t be such a long process. It was very clear-cut. And the vendor was excellent and knew how to work with the warranty company. It was the vendor that they partner with that really helped us the most with that.

HMS Home Warranty response

Marsha –We aim to provide a simply straightforward claim process and overall it seems we have met our objective. Thanks again for sharing your experience. - Christine

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I've been with Cross Country for at least 10 years. Historically, their service is great. They're responsive. The vendors that they've dispatched to our home are effective and efficient in resolving matters. But I had an experience with them over the course of the last three weeks that was not positive. I responded to a survey back today regarding that very negative experience.

Evidently, the vendors that they would normally contract with no longer have a contract in my area. My claim was outsourced to a different warranty company that did have a contract with a vendor in the area. I wasn’t working directly with them but I was going through them then they were having to outreach to the other vendor to follow up for me or find out where we were in the process. I requested that they escalate it because it had to do with our refrigerator freezer in our home and it took three weeks to get the refrigerator running. We went three weeks without a major appliance in our home. I'm not very pleased.

Also, I did all the follow-up like me contacting the vendor or me contacting the warranty company. The second time that I contacted them, I requested that it be escalated and was told that it was. The fourth time that I contacted them, I was told that it had never been escalated. By that time, the vendor had already contacted me that the parts were in. I wanted to schedule the appointment for a repair but the vendor wouldn't schedule it until they had the parts.

When the parts came in, I had to find their next available appointment which was a full three weeks from the first time that they came out to inspect the appliance. That was odd to me because we've had things repaired. We've even had a refrigerator repaired before although not this particular one in question. The vendor came out the same day, inspected it, and fixed it the same day. But for this particular claim, the gentleman from the vendor came out on a Friday, inspected it, and said they were gonna have to order parts. I needed to unplug the refrigerator and let it completely thaw. He told me that unfortunately, it was a Friday. By the time he could get back to the office, it could be Saturday or Monday before they could enter my paperwork. In reality, it was actually the following Tuesday that the paperwork got entered and that's when I tried to start speeding things up with no luck.

What I'm used to with Cross Country is they dispatch somebody out, they address the issue, and they resolve the issue the same day. Very rarely have I had a situation where there was an issue like after the first year when we had an issue with the plumbing. They dispatched somebody out who ended up making the problem worse. They told me that they couldn't resolve the problem and that I would either need to contact the warranty company or their office. The tech left and I called their office back. They said they couldn't get somebody else out there to fix what needed to be fixed. It was after Christmas and I would have to wait five more days to get somebody out.

I called the warranty company back and they dispatched a new vendor within probably 24 hours and had the issue resolved within 15 minutes. They handled that one well because they were willing to dispatch a different vendor out. But with my refrigerator claim, it's a little bit different. My guess is the last time we had a refrigerator worked on under this warranty company, they used a Sears repair technician but Sears is no longer in our area. They closed. My guess is if there are still some Sears repair places within the country, their contracts are probably is still active. But in our area, with Sears pulling out, I'm sure that was part of the problem.

When I called in and asked for them to escalate the issue, it should have been escalated. They should have not told me that it was gonna be escalated. A note on the account to contact the customer for a follow-up to let me know that it had been escalated or where things were in the process would have been appreciated. The vendor was upset that I was calling them for follow-up because they weren't the friendliest.

The work was good but it was kind of a continual "Why do you keep calling me?" sort of thing. They would tell me they were waiting on the warranty company. When I would call the warranty company, they would tell me they were waiting on the vendor. I'm certain this is because they outsourced the request. Overall, the warranty coverage is good. As with anything with time, the out of pocket has gone up but it's still $100. And if you think about having to replace parts or have work done, you're still saving quite a bit of money with only paying $100.

HMS Home Warranty response

William, We have an unwavering commitment to provide exceptional service and we appreciate your detailed feedback. Thanks for sharing! - Angela

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

When the first reps from DMV Heating & Cooling came out here, they did the job but they didn’t install things correctly. It was causing my unit and my gas furnace to have more issues. I had a neighbor of mine come by in November and he mentioned that my pressure switch was bad but when DMV came out, they did not switch the pressure switch and it should’ve been switched back then in November. We had no heat for two months. We had to wait for a part that had to be ordered and it took close to a month. My four-year-old was the first one to get sick and then the rest of us started getting sick and it was because we didn’t have any heat in our two-level home. The portable heaters were not doing enough because it was just cold and this was in November and December time frame where the temperatures dropped really low.

DMV reassigned the claim because the tech was on vacation and they didn’t wanna come out here, so they wouldn’t pick up the phone. It took them two days to call me back. DMV is a big company but they are bad with communication. When I got Residential Systems, they were courteous and Mark was amazing. HMS should continue to do business with them. The technician that came out diagnosed the problem, figured out what it was, troubleshoot it, found the root cause and fixed it. Everything else was good with this recent claim and HMS really followed through. Rodemy, the supervisor, was amazing. I'm supposed to get a call back from her this morning because she missed me on Friday. So, I'm still waiting for her call. I had to pay Residential Systems $492 because of the work that DMV did improperly but I'm thrilled because I didn’t have to pay a deductible the second time.

This time around, there was constant communication and I received multiple call backs. The only thing that I dislike is that when you call in to HMS if you’re trying to do a claim over the phone, it gives you the runaround before you get to a representative. You have to speak into the virtual machine and it starts asking you all these questions. But then I realized I could do it online. Sometimes though, I like to explain so that it falls under the proper category. The drop down menus were what I was having trouble with and then I found out that my furnace is a gas furnace and not electric but it does give you the option now in the drop down menu.

I’ve had HMS here since 2015 and I have a townhouse in Virginia Beach, and I was curious as to why they canceled the policy at that townhouse. I used to have American Home Shield and then I switched over to HMS but they said that I would not be able to continue with the policy. I just got a letter with a random explanation. I ended up getting a new fridge and a new microwave because of it malfunctioning at my rental property and I have no coverage there. If HMS could investigate that, that would be nice. I was paying 51.99 for the rental property and I'm paying 46.99 for the property here, which is our primary residence. But I don’t have any coverage at the townhouse in Virginia Beach which I would love to have. If not, then everything else will have to go through my property manager and it’ll end up being a little bit more.

HMS Home Warranty response

Oneris, We appreciate your feedback about your claim experience, and we regret that the service you received from the first provider was less than expected. We’ll have our Renewal team follow up with you to better explain the renewal at your Virginia Beach home. Sincerely, Amanda

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I have had a Home Warranty Protection with Total Protect/HMS for many years now and I have been in the past, for the most part, pretty satisfied with them. But the last dealing I had with them was terrible. I agree with all those who are saying their service totally sucks now. When my heavy-duty microwave with an exhaust fan broke down, they sent Sears Home Services to fix it. The technician barely looked at it and said it was broken beyond repair. He said he will call in the management and ask to recommend sending in a new one as a replacement. So far so good. But this is when the nightmare began. When I called HMS a week later, inquiring about the new, replacement microwave, they said they will escalate it.

Two weeks later, I check back in, they start giving me the COVID excuse. They don’t know when the management will approve. The Customer Service reps are based somewhere in South America and their standard comment is “We have no more information at this time”. Two more weeks go by, and I am mad, I threaten to cancel my service, and then they promise to call me back within 24-hours and they did. They said they have placed an order with GE and it will take 3-weeks to deliver!

Three weeks later, it's not delivered. I call HMS and they said they have no further info. They give me the GE number. GE keeps transferring between their many departments (after keeping me on hold for an average of 45 minutes between each transfer) and then tell me they cannot find my order. At this point, I have spent 10-hours in three days over the phone with GE.

A very long story short, I finally get my microwave oven after 3-months!! Three freaking months to get a new replacement! They kept giving me the COVID crap each time. Amazon, Walmart and others don’t seem to have such problems. I have already started looking around for another Home Service Warranty company. My advice—HMS is not worth it anymore.

HMS Home Warranty response

Anthony - We are committed to providing our customers with the best possible service and it sounds like we have missed our goal. Our records indicate that since this review the replacement unit has been delivered to the installation company. They will be contacting your shortly to schedule an installation appointment. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

We had a problem with my washing machine and I reported it online. It took a few days and they sent somebody out. I was told that the washing machine needed to be replaced. After that, HMS sent me a choice of either giving me a different kind of washing machine or I could buy whatever and they would send me a check. It took a little bit of time until they decided on what to do. So it looked like it took two weeks to give me their decision. But this is normal among these companies. I went out and bought what I wanted and they sent me something equal to what I bought.

HMS Home Warranty response

Waleed, Thanks for taking the time to share your overall claim experience! - Austin

Original review: July 30, 2020

My split ac/heat pump broke in May, 2020. HMS has sent three different service providers to repair/replace this unit. Two months later, it remains broken. I have spent countless hours on the phone attempting to resolve this issue, and have been forced to take significant time off of work. I question the integrity of this company and the competency of their service providers.

HMS Home Warranty response

Steven - Please know, we want to take this time to thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is definitely not the level of service HMS aims to provide or what we as a company represent. We've located your account and will complete a thorough review of your claim and reach out as soon as we can. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 29, 2020

SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!...BUYER BEWARE.... I would not go with this company if it was the last one on earth. I wish there was option of strong dislike...or 0 stars. We bought our house and the HMS home warranty (or Cinch warranty) was added at time of sale. Our refrigerator malfunctioned recently and we had a major leak in the kitchen and water seeping to the downstairs neighbour's ceiling.

I called this company immediately and they gave us phone number of a service provider in our area who will come out to check and repair. They immediately charged me 100$ deductible. I was supposed to call and set up appointment with the provider. After several hours I could get a hold of the provider and they said they could only come out on the 8th day to have a look at the issue. I was unpleasantly surprised and told them that I have a full refrigerator and freezer of groceries due to COVID situation as I had done my shopping on previous day - a Sunday. They told me to call back my insurance company and work with another provider.

After going thru their automated system and getting hold of another agent and explaining that 8 days are not acceptable for coming to look at refrigerator the agent on call gave me National Service Alliance number without telling me that they were the dispatchers of providers and not a provider themselves. I gave them a call and got the difference after which they gave me yet another number of a local provider and asked me to contact them for appointment timings. All this is happening when I am also working with my home insurance for damage assessment and neighbour for cleanup and our own cleanup.

After trying several times throughout the day the 2nd provider did not pick up the call. Next day I called HMS again and after a long discussion they told me they will find another for me and after holding the call for a long time (the agent was always repeating sorry for wait) 1.5 hrs in total they said that the only other provider they could send was the first one. I said, "I already explained the situation to you." They cannot come out till after 8 days and they said, "We don't have any other."

The story is very long but after 13 hours for calling and repeating my story with several agents and talking with their manager (who was rude and lied about sending a person next day) and talking with the supervisor or manager who admitted they can't send anyone before 8 days. When I said, "Will you cover my bill if I get my own repairs done?" they said NO and that I will lose my warranty on all other appliances too. SO I am stuck with them. They have taken my deductible and charged it to account and I can't go to anyone for refrigerator service. They also told me I could move my account with someone else for all they cared. I would not go with this company if it was the last one on earth. Save your money and be free. At least that way you have choice.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kavita - I’m sorry to hear of the amount of effort you’ve put forth trying to resolve your claim. We'd like to follow up with you personally to see how we can help provide a resolution, please respond with your full property address and my team will give you a call as soon as we can with a solution. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: July 25, 2020

The claim process has been pretty straightforward. But in my claims, there were multiple items that needed repair that were in the same category. I attempted to use the website first in both those cases but didn't really see an option to combine them to a single claim visit. So in both cases, I talked to the phone customer support and they were very helpful. They were able to resolve my issues pretty quickly and I was satisfied with the work that was done. So far, the quality of work has been good. The first contractor that came out was professional, timely and good with communication. We haven't had any issues with the repairs either. The second one was also fine. He was flexible and on time. So I've been happy with both those experiences.

HMS Home Warranty response

Benjamin - We appreciate you taking the time to share your claim experience! We try our best to provide quick and reliable service and are pleased to hear that we provided quick and professional service providers for your claims. Sincerely, Dena

HMS Home Warranty coverage exclusions

HMS Home Warranty covers failure of select systems and appliances due to normal wear and tear. The policy does not cover deliberate or accidental damage due to abuse or misuse of covered items. HMS warranties do not cover the handling of hazardous materials or the fees associated with hauling away replaced systems or appliances.

In some cases, parts deemed nonessential to the core function of a system or appliance may not be covered. For example, while your kitchen appliances may be covered under your contract, components like doors, glass, seals, drawers, lightbulbs and fixtures may not be covered. You can find a full list of exclusions via HMS's sample agreement.

HMS Home Warranty coverage limits

HMS does have coverage limits, but they vary depending on which covered item is in question. They generally range from $1,000 to $3,000. If an item has a coverage limit or cap, you will be responsible for covering any cost beyond that dollar amount. Overall, we found HMS’s limits generous and on the higher side of average compared to the industry.

ItemHMS’s coverage limit
    Septic tank pumping$500
    Septic tank replacement$1,000
    Swimming pool heater$1,000

HMS Home Warranty claims

Claims can be filed 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. The process is straightforward and easy to do. To request service from HMS Home Warranty:

1. Submit a claim online or over the phone to speak directly to an HMS customer care representative.
    2. HMS will assign a service partner to your claim within two hours during normal business hours and 24 hours during weekends and holidays
    3. The service provider will schedule a convenient time for the repair.
    4. During the visit, the service provider will diagnose and suggest repair or replacement.
    5. You will pay your service call fee and the work will be completed.

HMS Home Warranty FAQ

When will coverage begin on an HMS Home Warranty?

For existing homeowners, there is a standard 30-day waiting period after a warranty is purchased. This is true of most home warranty providers in the industry. If you purchase a warranty for a home you’re selling, coverage begins immediately upon enrollment. For home buyers, coverage will begin on your closing date.

Is there a cancellation fee for HMS Home Warranty?

Yes, a $25 processing fee will apply. Homeowners and buyers can cancel their home warranty with a 10-day written notice. Seller Home Warranties are non-cancelable.

Will HMS Home Warranty cover my older systems and appliances?

Yes. There is no age restriction placed on covered items. HMS only requires that they be in working condition at the time of enrollment.

What is a homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement?

You can qualify for up to $500 per year when you pay a deductible on a homeowners insurance claim while an active HMS customer. The reimbursement opportunity is available on the Home Buyers plan, and claims must be reported to HMS within 45 days.

What is HMS’s lodging reimbursement?

HMS will reimburse you for lodging fees up to $1,200 should you have to stay in a hotel/motel in the event your heating or cooling system is non-operational for more than 24 hours from the time of the first service visit, or due to flooding in your home because of a water pipe break.

Is HMS Home Warranty worth it?

HMS Home Warranty offers good coverage for buyers, sellers and existing homeowners alike, with the most available coverage available to homebuyers. While coverage isn’t as comprehensive as others we’ve seen, it covers all essential systems and includes several benefits we haven’t seen anywhere else, like homeowners insurance deductible reimbursement and lodging reimbursement. With these added benefits plus the premier upgrade package, we think HMS has more than enough to offer any homeowner.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information