Call toll free
(888) 490-2015
2.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

2120 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Our A/C went out on the evening of Sept. 8. I reported it right away, and the service provider came out on the 11th, as promised. He told me parts needed to be ordered, but first they needed to be approved. His manager told me that day he would send in the parts order. One week later (Sept. 18) still no word. The repair company manager told me that day that he called HMS, only to be told they did not get the repair order he had submitted electronically. So, the order was essentially submitted that day, Sept. 18! I was very unhappy with this. The temps where we live are in the low to mid 90's.

After two hours on the phone, and speaking to three different people, I reached a woman who was, supposedly, a supervisor in case management. When I told her we've been waiting over 10 days for our A/C to be repaired, she said she'd move it to the top of the order line, because of our location and the heat is a health issue. Parts to be ordered go through the "research department." I guess they're looking for the cheapest manufacturer. It's been four days since that phone conversation. My repair guy told me he's waiting to be told where to pick up the parts. This is a huge city. The parts must be somewhere! We need this issue to be fixed! Now! How long do we have to wait for this! Unacceptable!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Once again, I have been without AC for two weeks. Our AC went out again, three months after our initial repairs. According to the new service provider, all of the things that have now failed with our unit should have been checked on during our first round of issues. Our unit was supposed to be fixed today, but thanks to the failure of HMS/the service provider, the incorrect parts were ordered and now we have to sit in this heat for an additional three days while we wait for the correct parts. I am having a hard time being understanding with this seeing as we have already been without AC for two weeks.

For a company that claims to "deliver protection, savings, convenience and peace of mind for their clients", I have felt nothing but inconvenience while dealing with them. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I do not understand why we are being subjected to these ridiculous wait times when fixing major systems and appliances is their entire business model. One would think that they would be efficient and expeditious with these matters, however I have found twice now that HMS is completely incompetent. I find it ridiculous that I am having to pay hundreds of dollars for this fix that should have happened weeks ago.

HMS Home Warranty response

Meredith - Our records indicate a TXV was needed for the repairs, but left off of the parts order. We have approved for our service provider to supply this as a quicker resolution. A member of my team will follow up with them on Monday to see if any other parts are needed to get this job complete, and will follow up with you to further address your concerns. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Can't get an appointment. Have now been told 2 WRONG date and times for my appointment. Even the supervisor confirmed my dates. I call the company and they have no idea who I am or about my appointment!

HMS Home Warranty response

Brady - I can tell this experience has been extremely frustrating and we want to help. Please provide me with your full property address and my team will be more than happy to follow up with you directly. Thank you - Mary

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Our real estate agent gave us HMS Home Warranty. Since having the warranty, submitting claims for most things has been good. However, the biggest problem is having to wait for service. Their rep would tell me the phone number of the person whom I'll call. One time, for the garage opener claim we didn't hear from Dave the rep. As it turned out, his answering machine was full and he wasn't taking calls. Eventually, my husband called HMS and then we got permission to talk to somebody else. Another time, we had a problem with our air-conditioner and it took a long time to figure out what was wrong. Nevertheless, currently it's easier to file a claim online. We'd definitely recommend this company.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kathleen - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Thank you for being a loyal customer! - Mary

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

The Customer Service line is unreliable. It is exceptionally difficult to get a representative on the phone. Additionally, it seems to me that the people in the customer service department use fictitious names. I thought I was speaking with a supervisor, but I call back the following day to speak with someone else and the representative I spoke with said she did not recognize the name! I call in the day after and spoke with yet another representative who more or less said both the supervisor and the representative I mentioned were nonexistent and that I was given incorrect information! I am appalled with the unfair/deceptive practices this company employs. I will be looking to file a complaint with the FTC.

HMS Home Warranty response

Victoria - I regret to hear of your claims experience. Upon review of your contract it seems that you have since cancelled your policy with us. Should you like further assistance please respond to this message with the best time to reach you. Thank you - Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I filed a claim for my water plumbing leaking through the walls. They set me up with a company and a claim number. Next day comes along, the referred company's representative doesn't show up. I call them to have them tell me they don't work with the warranty company. To just call back the warranty company and be on the line forever to be told "we didn't know that they don't work with us anymore, we apologize" and then schedule me with another company that will be taking 2 more business days. While my property continues to get further damaged. Too bad I cannot give out negative stars, because they would deserve it. A company run like a company advertising on Craigslist. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE FOLKS!

HMS Home Warranty response

Adwar - I am sorry that we have disappointed you. We value you as a customer and want to help get your claim resolved. Please respond to this message with your claim number or property address and a member of our team will investigate. Thanks - Austin

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

HMS was provided on my house when I bought it 12 years ago and I've been renewing it ever since. Submitting a claim with HMS has been good. I normally do it online and navigating through their website has been easy. They did work on a furnace and the water heater, and they did a really good job on both of those big appliances. I'm very satisfied with the service. We're pleased. They've done a good job every time they've come to my house.

HMS Home Warranty response

John - Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks! - Austin

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have contacted HMS September 4th about my washer. They sent out a service provider and we paid the deductible. When we checked on the status, they said that the people they sent out could fix the washing machine so they had to send out another service provider to reassess. The new service provider reached out to me and notified me that they did not service the model. We had and contacted HMS multiple times to notify them. HMS gave us multiple statuses, not one actually documented in their system so I am in limbo. I tried calling, waiting for over an hour (3 dropped calls), and never reached a single representative. The last person I spoke to got irritated when I asked questions of if they could notify the service provider of our model so we don’t waste time and asked what if no one could fix it. All I got in response was it will be taken care of. It has not. My current job status is incorrect and my washing machine remains broken.

HMS Home Warranty response

Katherine - I regret to hear of this experience! I can assure you that we aim for an efficient claims process, but seems we have missed our objective. Please provide me with your full property address and my team will be more than happy to review your claim. Thanks - Austin

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Service provider they linked me with never answers his phone, when I call HMS they make excuses over and over again. I reported this on the 5th and paid my deductible on the 6th before any work was done. It’s now the 18th. The guy comes out, replaced a part that doesn’t fix the problem then jiggles some wires around on my compressor till it kicked back on and called it good. That took a week. Since then I’ve been waiting for them to come back because they had to order the parts to repair my furnace (the original issue). I’ve been calling everyday since to only hear that it takes 3-5 days.

Well we hit the 3-5 day mark only to find out the parts were apparently just ordered yesterday the 17th. That’s right, No ac for over 2 weeks in the mid 90s. To be honest I’ve been told they were ordered once before this so fingers crossed that HMS isn’t giving me the runaround again. HMS won’t provide emergency lodging or expedite my parts even though it’s their fault that it’s been this long. Really wish I’d have read some reviews before blindly following my realtor's advice. I’m gonna go ahead and call her next.

Updated on 09/21/2018: It is now the 21st and I just called the service provider and they’ve informed me they haven’t received the part and that their schedule is full for the rest of the day, meaning I’m about to go for a 3rd weekend without A/C because the people I’ve already paid my deductible to (before anything was fixed) doesn’t work over weekends. My family has been suffering in the mid 90’s since this has happened. My pregnant wife has had to go to the hospital because of the heat. She is now staying with my mother because she can’t live in the humid house. My dog has been staying with my brother (I feel like it would be inhumane to make him suffer as I am).

I left a review for HMS on this site and it seems like the company responded only for the sake of the public who come here to read reviews to save face. Since then nothing has changed. My parts we’re not expedited (like they told me they were going to) And it appears I’m about to suffer through weekend #3. Thanks HMS really making me consider different options.

HMS Home Warranty response

Joshua - My team would like to take a look at your claim to ensure your claim is expedited. Please provide me with your full property address and my team will follow up directly. Thanks - Mary

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been had an active service claim on a leaking hot water heater since around mid-July, going on 2 months. It has been a nightmare since the technician came out to collect the initial $100 service charge. The technician recommended replacement however from an incomplete service reports and lack of response from the service provider to poor customer service on behalf of HMS in knowing the status of claim (leading me to believe that the claim was in research for over a month) when the claim had never been in research due to an incomplete service report was extremely frustrating. In addition, depending on what customer rep assisted you, most did not want to go through the detailed notes to even understand what transpiring with the claim leading to further bottlenecks in getting the claim moving.

I called two times a week consistently and I always got the response that someone from HMS tried reaching me (well I received no voicemails or phone calls except once from a manager who promised to follow-up, but never did). Lastly my claim decision was made by HMS on my behalf without giving me the option to either take a claim credit or have the service provider install the replacement. So, after calling, I find out HMS made the decision to have the parts ordered without my input.

So, at this point, I didn't want to have to get into another dispute over getting a claim credit adding more time to the claim, so I didn't make a big deal about the issue and went along with the service provider replacement and installation. Not sure if that was the right decision given all the issues of communication that has happened with the service provider, but I will keep my fingers crossed that I can hopefully get a hot water heater replacement within 6 months after the initial service request. I do not recommend HMS to anyone. The service has declined over the years.

HMS Home Warranty response

Angela - I sincerely regret to hear of this experience. We aim for efficient service, and we attempt to make all efforts in an easy claims process. Should you need for my team to follow up directly, please provide me with your full property address. Thank you - Morgan

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We got a broken air conditioning so we called HMS Home Warranty. My interaction with their reps went good. They were professional and they referred us to an air conditioning and heating company. A day after we called, the contractor came out. They told us what was wrong with the AC and then they fixed it. They just had to fix the circuit board. Since then, everything is good. HMS Home Warranty is a great company.

HMS Home Warranty response

Tyler - We appreciate you sharing your experiences and are thrilled to hear that you have referred your friends and family to us. It is our pleasure to provide you with top-level customer service and efficient claim resolutions. We hope to continue to have you as our customer for many years to come. – Austin

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had the one year warranty with HMS when I first bought the home and I extended the warranty when it was up. I wanted to have coverage on my home with the coverage I previously had and their price was reasonable, so I stuck with them. Their customer service team is very helpful. They are prompt and I've gotten help every time I needed to call. The contractors they sent out for the most part came the very next day. I had one contractor who had to come out a couple times but he was nice and it still worked out. I've had three contractors so far and they were all very professional. They explained what they were doing, who they were, what they needed, what the coverage may or may not be, what I needed to expect so that they delivered and I was not disappointed. The service is great.

When I had the plumber come out, he gave the issue but I still have plumbing issues. I honestly felt that they could’ve dug a little bit deeper and given me a bit more information because a week later, my entire basement flooded. Literally, my whole basement is gutted now. But I don’t fault the plumber because it may have been prevented and I can’t say for sure. Other than that, the service I received has been great and having a warranty is very valuable. Having to pay out of my pocket for the services versus my deductible is definitely worth it.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mechelle - Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are hear to help for all your warranty needs to provide a peace of mind. Have a great day! - Austin

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We were given HMS when we settled on the house and we went with it. Submitting a claim was horrible the first couple of times. They had the wrong tech come out for what I was supposed to be getting fixed, and it took me another several weeks to get an appointment. They ended up cancelling that appointment, saying they did not have enough techs. It took me a month and a half to get my dishwasher fixed. I got the email for it confirming the appointment, but they sent a person out to fix the dryer, which I didn't have any appointment for. They cancelled the tech for the dishwasher and still sent one out for the dryer. I missed almost a day of work because of it, and twice 'cause the second time we had an issue too. I talked to a manager who assured me that a lady tech was coming out that day, and the lady never showed up. I had to have my husband come home early from work to be there, and they never showed up at all.

This last time, we had no issue with the air conditioning unit 'cause it just needed to be shot with an antifreeze. But we're still having issues with the dishwasher. The guy said it needed to be replaced but HMS was not willing to do it. I ended up getting my $100 back, but the dishwasher still doesn't work right. It hasn't even been cleaned. It's still sitting there with the stuff in it. We have to push the button constantly, and the piece underneath keeps falling off so we have to keep putting it back on. It's frustrating. My husband is trying to fix it but he doesn't know why it's not staying on either.

HMS Home Warranty response

Denice - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. Should you like further assistance please respond to this message with the best time to reach you and your full property address. Thanks – Austin

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My AC went out on Friday. The only appointment they have is on Monday and they only work with one vendor! It is 92 degrees today! I have 4 kids and a dog in my house. I called back and guess what... They can't come out until Monday, it is supposed to be 92 again tomorrow! I called the vendor and guess what they aren't open on the weekend!!!

HMS Home Warranty response

DaBrene - I regret to hear of this experience. We aim for fast and efficient service, but seems we have missed our objective. Our service providers work a business hour schedule Monday - Friday 8AM-5PM. We have a select few who opt to work on the weekends, but cannot force any of our companies to work on the weekends. Should you wish for my team and I to follow up with you directly please provide me with your full property address and my team will give you a call directly. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I heard about HMS from a co-worker of mine and decided to work with them based on the warranty coverage that they offered. On my first claim, it took quite a while and I was not happy about that. It took two weeks for them to send a repair person to my house. I was very perturbed and upset because they said that they only had one provider in the area that took care of the appliance that I needed repaired. I called them back and said, “Well, is there anybody else in the area?” They told me no and I had to wait.

However, by the second time while they were there, I asked them another question about another appliance, and they were able to take care of that without charging me an extra service call. That made up for the first time. While they were here the contractors were telling me what they were doing. But when I called the last time for a claim they told me that particular item wasn’t covered. So I'm disappointed with that.

HMS Home Warranty response

Olivia - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. We are here to help, and will do whatever we can to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Thank you! – Austin

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We initiated a claim for service support when our A/C went out on 5 SEP 18. We had repeated telephonic "disconnects", calls with supervisors who assured they'd follow through and never did, and finally, only after our repeated efforts, was a service provider "in network" identified for us after nearly a week of poor support by HMS. And we had to contact and set the appointment up, only to learn from that provider they long ago discontinued being in HMS' network due to non-payment issues. No one at HMS did their job well at any point in this ordeal, no one returned calls to us, at times when we requested to speak to a supervisor, there were "none available" and no messages for having calls returned were passed.

We ended up paying out of pocket in full for the repair, and requested our plan's payment to be refunded. Everything has been ignored. Ironically during this painful week as we did HMS' work for them, while enjoying no advertised "peace of mind for the homeowner," we were contacted by mail and telephone on numerous occasions by HMS Marketing seeking to have our contract renewed. Seriously??? The icing on the cake was having an HMS rep on one of our many frustrating calls, when nothing was being accomplished and no supervisor was available, telling us repeatedly that she was doing us a favor by even speaking to us as the paying customer and homeowner.

Another irony is that all their calls were reportedly recorded "to assist us better." I suspect that if Quality Control or any internal investigation were to be conducted in resolving the issues we experienced in this nearly week-long ordeal, they'd be mysteriously missing. Spare yourself the agony and find another Home Warranty provider. This one should be charged with false advertising as we did their job and not only had no peace of mind, but added stress from having to deal with their ineptitude and lack of caring for their paying customers.

HMS Home Warranty response

Ken - I’m sorry to hear about this experience.  It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. Your feedback is very important to us and we have provided back to the organization, in an effort to make improvements with customer service and our processes. I have located your account as well and my team will be reviewing your claim and following up as soon as we can. Sincerely Austin

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We had a water heater replaced me than 60 days ago after waiting 3 weeks with no hot showers. So far the service provider has not been paid and is now calling me to pay the $1300 bill. We live in a small rural community and it is embarrassing to get ** calls from the local plumber. I have contacted customer service repeatedly and while they were sales polite no action was taken. The last time I sled they became very rude and behaved in a very unprofessional manner. We are still waiting for this to be resolved. Service was provided 7/6.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had my washing machine break. The first tech that came out had no idea how to fix the washing machine. The second tech said the motor was shot and he was going to send his report to HMS. A week went by and neither HMS or the tech contacted me. When I called in HMS said parts were ordered. I then get a random email saying they needed to replace the washing machine in whole or give me $$. I completed the online paperwork to get a new washing machine and never received an email confirmation. I waited about a day and called. HMS told me they haven't received my response so their website doesn't work properly I am assuming! I then ask how long it would take to get a new washing machine once ordered. They had no clue. I was told within 24 hours someone would give me a status update. Well it has been more than 24 hours and no contact. Awful situation to be in. I just want my washing machine.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Something wasn't covered under the other options that I was given and I decided to go with HMS Home Warranty. My dishwasher claim went well. I submitted it online. The site was simple, but I was confused as to why it asked if the appliance itself was a Maytag or not. I didn't understand what that one was, but otherwise, everything seemed to be fine. The guy that came out was very professional. He walked me through everything that he was doing and what needed to be done. He started his diagnostics and ended up having to order parts. He did the fixing the second time he came. He walked in and we started talking about what was going on with the dishwasher. When he asked questions, I tried to understand what he needed to be looking at. The deductible was a little high but the process was fine and my dishwasher is working now. I have recommend HMS Home Warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Katrine - Our goal is to make managing home repairs easy, and I am glad to hear we are able to meet your needs. The time you took to provide this feedback is appreciated, and I hope you are our customer for many years to come. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We bought our house and the lady that sold it to us had purchased HMS Home Warranty. I’m extremely happy with my experience with HMS. We call them when submitting a claim and I prefer that because I’m much better on the phone than I am on the website. The interactions that we've had with the representatives on the phone were very good and the technicians that came out were awesome. I had a claim for my dishwasher, however, nobody has ever contacted me, and that has been months ago. The rep said that they would send an appliance person out here to do our dishwasher and also our oven door. She said that they will only have one deductible since the techs were coming to do both.

However, the person that did my stove said nobody ever contacted them. I called back and the rep said that they would have to schedule us for whoever can do the dishwasher in a timely manner, but nobody has ever come yet. The rep also said that whoever told me about one deductible was wrong. Nonetheless, we had two claims for our oven door and our garage door, and the repairs were wonderful. My garage door opens and now I can clean my oven.

HMS Home Warranty response

Charlotte - I'm delighted to hear of your awesome experience with our service technicians, our goal is to provide service in a timely efficient manner. We hope to continue to have you as our valued customer for years to come. - Morgan

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I experienced a leak under my sink and to me it appeared to be a leak from my sink. I go to submit a claim on www.myhmswarranty.com to see if it would be a covered claim but the soonest time slot is 8am to 4pm the next day. The HMS Home Warranty agreement states that sinks are items/conditions not covered so I figured I would go ahead and get my own plumber as I figured it wouldn't be covered as the problem to me appeared to be the sink. I contacted my own plumber as I was unable to wait until the next day as I have 2 little kids and need to be able to use my sink. My highly recommended plumber comes out and informs me once he removes the garbage disposal to fix the loose sink baskets that the mounting flange on the garbage disposal is broken and had been filled with plumber's putty. The next paragraph is from my invoice from the plumber and discusses his services.

"Initially found that the mounting flange for the disposal was leaking. Removed the mounting flange, installed new plumber's putty and reinstalled the mounting flange. Also found that part of the mounting ring for the rubber washer that seals the disposal to the drain pipe had broken off. There was no way to repair this, so replaced the disposal with an Insinkerator 1/3 HP Badger 1 disposal which is identical to the disposal that was removed."

Once my plumber informs me that the issue is the garbage disposal, I contact HMS Home Warranty by phone before he continues with any work. This call is made at 9:20 AM on 9/12/18. I am told initially that I need to contact them before any work is done for the garbage disposal. I state that I didn't realize that the garbage disposal a covered item was the issue as I thought it was the sink. They tell me that I can use a plumber outside of their network if I had it approved beforehand. They ask for the phone number of the plumber that I want to use to see if by chance he is within their network. They ask if they can put me on hold to contact the plumber who is standing in my kitchen.

They call him and ask him if he is set up with any home warranty companies and he says no. They hang up with him and return to my call. They state that they will send this to their dispatch department to get it approved and they will contact me within 48 hours. I am under the impression that is ok to have my plumber complete the work and that they would be able to get it approved. I clarified with the person on the phone from HMS that my plumber would be completing the

work.

At 7:40 PM on 9/12/18, my wife receives an email stating that we have an appointment preference with a contracted HMS plumber for 9/14/18. I call HMS warranty at 9:57 AM on 9/13/18 to tell them that the work had been completed on 9/12/18 by my own plumber as I was under the impression that the work would be approved. The representative informs me that this was unapproved use of my own plumber and that they wouldn't reimburse my claim. I informed her of what I was told the day before. She asks if I still need to have them send out their plumbers and I say no as the work has already been completed.

I ask to speak to a manager as I was informed the day before that this would be approved. I speak to a manager and she states that this is an unapproved use of my own plumber. I ask am I suppose to just let my sink leak and not use it for 24-48 hours as I wait for you to send a plumber. She states, "yes". I then say, "Really I am to wait 24-48 hours without using my sink or risk it causing my damage as the leak continues to pour on my floor." She says no and then asks when I would like them to send a plumber out. I informed her once again that the work was completed because I couldn't just have water leaking on my floor. I said I still have the garbage disposal if they want to send someone out and verify that the garbage disposal needed replaced. She states she isn't able to help me and says that the request is denied as this was an unapproved use of my own plumber.

I told her that I didn't believe this was right and that I would have to leave a review to inform other potential customers to not use HMS Home Warranty as HMS Warranty will find a anyway possible to not pay a claim. I also informed my realtor to let her know of our displeasure with HMS warranty. She stated that she has experienced from other clients poor service with HMS warranty in the past and she typically doesn't recommend them. She stated that she will be more vigilant about sellers wanting to use HMS warranty in the future to switch and use a different company for her clients, the buyers. I will be using a new home warranty company once my current contact expires.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have experienced many years of service from HMS, which has changed for the worse over the years. Now, I have to consume a lot in additional costs whereas before there was a standard rate. I also see that less is included in the plan itself, but the cost of the plan is continuing to rise. They also don’t correspond in a timely manner with regards to the issues or problems I may be having. Moreover, the service personnel that works for them directly are not really knowledgeable about the product itself.

I have HMS in my condo as well as in my home. The service person didn't complete the repair at my condo in a timely manner, partly because of the rain, partly because of the processing time by HMS, and partly due to the additional costs. I had to pay $800 in additional costs outside of the $100 repair fee. It still was a substantial saving, but it wasn’t quite the same. I mainly take issue with the fact that it took three weeks for the problem to be resolved. My 80-year old mom, who lives in the condo, had no air when it was 100 degrees outside.

In my home, there was a problem with the drain outside. The person HMS sent over told me that there was absolutely nothing he could do with the drain. I tried to correspond with the person on several occasions to no avail. They didn’t call back after I started complaining. I didn’t call HMS in a timely manner because something was needed immediately. I contacted someone else, who came in and repaired the problem. I feel that the service personnel that HMS hired was fraudulent. They were trying to get me to purchase a $1,800 system from them. The issue was fixed with a $150 snaking of the line and all HMS could say was they were sorry. I could also get a refund three months after I started the complaint. I am trying to determine whether or not I want to continue with HMS versus going to someone else like American Shield. I’m a Realtor as well and I’m not going to be referring my customers to HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Denise - I regret to hear of the interaction you had with one of our service companies was less than satisfactory. We aim for excellent service and hope to have you as a customer for many years to come. Thanks - Morgan

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I purchased a older home, and bought an HMS warranty at the same time. Less than 2 weeks after purchase, the AC stops blowing. I call a local repair person first and they tell me it’s the blower motor that has failed and it will be costly. At this point I decided to call HMS and start a claim process. This is on a Friday. The local company they called couldn’t come look at it until Tuesday. So that’s a whole weekend in the heat with no AC. I call them back to find other providers but no one can come.

After the repair company cancels the Tues appointment due to illness, I finally get a visit on Wed. Of course, it’s the same issue (the blower). The technician goes to his truck, calls HMS and gets authorization. He then charges me my deductible. However, later that day, I am informed that HMS wants my home inspection because they believe it’s previous damage and they aren’t wanting to pay. After getting the run around from the provider and HMS, I finally ask how much is the part so I can pay myself. Neither company can even provide me the actual cost. Needless to say I will be requesting a refund AND my deductible back, because they don’t seem to be interested in anything except getting out of paying a claim.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We received this warranty as a part of purchasing our new home. Had I been able to have a say, we would have done research to find someone else with better reviews. But alas, here we are. We have had to handle two different claims with HMS since we bought the house. The most recent that has pushed me into writing this review is for a broken refrigerator. The fridge is currently running too cold and freezing items, but the thermostat says 48 degrees. Our first repair went smoothly. Within 2 weeks, it broke again. Our second repair - not as much. It took over 2 weeks to get someone to our house to "diagnose" the problem. Then over a month to get the repair approved, parts in and repair complete.

Two weeks later, the same issue. So we called again, at this time we were told that we needed a new fridge by the first HMS person we spoke too. Insert sigh of relief. Then it went downhill. We were connected to the claims department who said they needed to send out another repair person. They never showed, just submitted a "repair estimate". (Their review to follow separately). When I called HMS to complain and request that instead of the repair, they replace since this "repair request" was made without even coming to our home, they declined my request.

After 15 minutes of trying to reason with the customer service rep, I requested to speak to her supervisor. She put me on hold, came back and told me one wasn't available, but she would put me on a call back list (takes 24-72 hours). I said I would rather wait on the phone than be put on a call back list. I was told it wasn't an option, that no one locally was a supervisor. I said that is OK, I will wait until she finds me a supervisor to talk to. After a few minutes of that back and forth, HMS Claims Department HUNG UP. I thought maybe it was a bad connection on my cell phone and they would call back. They didn't.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I know it is a warranty company so they repair and repair and repair. But not listening to my issues with their service provider, not being able to speak to a supervisor (what self-respecting customer service department does that) and then hanging up on me. What a mess. We are looking to find a new Home Warranty company as they have lost my business for a lifetime. And I know a lot of realtors - so they will lose their business as well.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jackie - I’m sorry to hear about this experience.  It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. Your feedback is very important to us and we have provided back to the organization, in an effort to make improvements with customer service and our processes. Sincerely Austin

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

This company had me get my own contractor for repair. The reason was they were sending a company over 100 miles away. The pipes in the house would have froze first. I was told pay for it and they would re reimburse me. That was April 24 2018. It's September 12th 2018... Guess what... NO CHECK... I am disgusted with the way that I have been treated by this poor company. Calling is nonsense. I have been told 4 times the refund will be expedited. This has not been proven to be true yet. I give this company NO STARS. If I waited 5 months to pay my renewal, they would cancel me... So DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY... You will regret it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I bought a house and my realtor got the sellers to buy me the 1-year home insurance, so they bought HMS Home Warranty for me and since then, I’ve stuck with HMS. I just signed a second-year contract with them in July. They have a very good service and they took care of me every time I needed them. I usually call when submitting a claim. I like to talk to somebody, so they can help me right there and if I have any questions, they can take care of it. The most recent claim I had with HMS was the washer. It was leaking, so they came out and fixed that. The technician was really good and very friendly. He couldn’t fix it there, so he had to come back another day to fix it. Another time, I got my air conditioning fixed. The technician was unable to come out and when one came out, he put in the wrong motor, so he further messed up the air track system.

I had to call HMS again because it broke down last two weeks and they sent out another technician. They fixed it and it works fine now, although it took a while to get it fixed. HMS Home Warranty provides good service and if they keep it up, they will have my business. I even got three of my other friends to get signed on -- my brother and my two other friends. I told them about the experiences I had and the service I got, so they were very impressed. They usually think of having a warranty as a gimmick and that it doesn’t always work out. For me it did, so it was really good in that sense. They saw how they treated me and they signed on.

HMS Home Warranty response

Omar - Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our customer service team has provided you with excellent service. We are delighted to hear that we’ve been able to satisfy your home warranty needs. Thank you for being a loyal customer! - Mary

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

HMS Home Warranty came with the purchase of my home. I submitted a claim to them on the fridge and it still doesn't work that well. So, I just opted to buy new appliances because I'd rather HMS replace the big stuff like my water heater, which I'll soon have to put in a claim for. My claims submission experience was fine but HMS chose to go with Sears which is a terrible company. Also, their reps were really confused and had no idea what I was making the appointment for, and I made two different appointments. The technician was fine though. I'd tell others to be extremely diligent and not just let the warranty company say, "Oh, we'll repair it." You have to push them, especially if it's an older, high-end mechanical like a water heater, a furnace or any air conditioner. Because that's the purpose of getting a home warranty, to cover the high-end stuff like that.

HMS Home Warranty response

Dana - Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thank you for being a loyal customer! Thanks! – Austin

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I've had HMS for a few years now and haven't had any problems until recently. Our water heater gave out and dumped water all over the floor. Easy fix. Just needed replaced for the tank was cracked. After placing my claim late in the week I waited till Monday to call and see what the hold up was. They said they didnt have any service providers in our area and authorized me to find one. Problem was nobody likes to work on them. After a few days of searching around I found a service provider, which came out and said it needed replaced and HMS authorized them to do so. Now here is where I ran into problems. HMS refused to start the reimbursement process until I paid the job in full...with which I didnt have 1500 dollars to do. So I got it financed and sent in all the required paperwork.

They replied back with it will take 4 weeks to review and process all of it, then IF I am qualified for reimbursement they will contact me to start that process. I even have the authorization number they gave the service provider to do the job. By the time this is all said and done the interest on the financing will eat me alive. Tried calling to see if I could do anything to expedite the process and all I get is, "I'm sorry we don't handle that, it's all handled by another department." All in all I'm done after this year with this company. I pay them good money to make sure I don't have to deal with this kind of headache and I would've been better off buying and installing my own water heater than having to fight through this process.

HMS Home Warranty response

Joshua - I’m sorry to hear about this experience. It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide.Your feedback is very important to us and we have provided back to the organization, in an effort to make improvements with customer service and our processes. My team and I will be reviewing your claim to see how we can expedite this process. Best Regards, Austin

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

So had my AC unit go down and I filed a claim with HMS on a Saturday morning. Was told that X company would be out on Sunday between 8 and 5, I was fine with it and thought it was good and would have been if they had showed up. I called the company and they said they would not be able to come out for at least a week and that I currently had no appointment with them. I call HMS this time and let them know, and they setup a second appointment for 2 days later at 8am, at noon no one had showed up and after numerous calls (4 County Heating and Air) with no answer. I called HMS and they said they could have another company possibly come out in the next day or 2, I let them know that I took today off for my scheduled appointment. She was like, "Well let me see if I can reach them," she said she talked to Dave and he said I didn't have any appointment with them.

She said that he would give me a call today. This was the same person I talked to on Saturday, and he confirmed my appointment and even asked that I call his voicemail and leave a reminder for him, since he was at a dealership getting his vehicle serviced. Also talked about it possibly being the fan motor and he said he needed to pick up some motors. I have had nothing but horrible experiences with HMS and this is just another on the list. They only deal with small companies that will take what they pay, and they are not the best companies or the most organized, and if they have a choice between HMS warranty work and other work, you will get bumped. I tell everyone I know to stay away from HMS, it is a horrible company with even worse customer service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After writing a review last week I finally got a response from HMS. They said that my boiler (that they hadn't been able to locate for a month) had finally been delivered. However, when my contractor called the warehouse to which he had been told the boiler was delivered, the warehouse said they didn't know anything about it and had not received the boiler. Seriously? PLEASE track the boiler down, confirm its location, and get back to me ASAP with the info. I HAVE NO HOT WATER OR HEAT and when I call the main HMS number no one has the power to help me or provide me with any useful info.

HMS Home Warranty response

Kate - I am sorry that we have disappointed you. This is definitely not the level of service we aim to provide. Our goal is to provide service in a timely and efficient manner and to ensure you receive every benefit of your warranty. I've located your account and my team and I will be following up directly with you. Thanks - Austin

HMS Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

HMS Home Warranty, a member of Cross Country Home Services, has been providing home warranties for more than 30 years in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. The company has special tools to help real estate agents who must manage multiple home warranties.

• Service providers: HMS has a network of more than 40,000 service professionals throughout its coverage area. The company screens providers to make sure they have the appropriate licenses and insurance for their state.

• Claims hours: Home warranty customers can make a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even on holidays, by calling the company or logging on to their online account.

• Instant coverage for sellers: Home sellers who sign up for the warranty receive immediate coverage, pay at closing in most states and have 180 days of coverage with an optional extension if the home is still listed with a real estate agent.

• Emergency lodging reimbursement: Homeowners whose HVAC system is non-operational for more the 24 hours after they make a service call and those who experience a waterline break that isn’t fixed within 24 hours can receive reimbursement for hotel lodging for the days they must be out of their home.

• Marketopedia: Real estate professionals will appreciate HMS’s Marketopedia tool. The cloud-based service allows real estate agents to manage all aspects of the HMS warranties for homes they’re selling. It also features marketing tools to help them grow their businesses.

• Best for: real estate agents, first-time homebuyers, home sellers and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

HMS Home Warranty Company Information