Call toll free
(888) 490-2015
2.98/5
Based on 1,011 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

View More View More

2715 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: March 20, 2019

A refrigerator and a microwave went out and it has been easy for me to do claims with HMS. The contractors came less than a week and the contractors did fine.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I've been with HMS Home Warranty for seven years now, maybe longer, and the coverage is pretty good. I haven’t had many claims but whatever I’ve had, they’ve taken care of. I usually call for it and the representatives are excellent. The technicians they have sent out have all been good as well. They've been local people and I’ve been pleased.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My realtor had HMS herself and she liked it and recommended it. She said that was the best one for us so far. I call to submit my claims and they answer right away. Their rep is very accommodating and very friendly. They get back to me and they service it within a couple of days. If I call on a Monday, they’ll usually have a person here on Tuesday or Wednesday in that week to check it out. I’ve only had three instances already to check it out and each time was perfect. The work done was satisfactory. When they make the initial call, they usually say right away where the equipment can be. The warranty has been extremely valuable. I recommend them to my friends, and I will recommend them to people who I know who are looking for a warranty.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We got HMS home warranty through the people we purchased the home from in 2013 and continued the service. I’ve had many experiences with them and every one has been flawlessly executed. Our microwave stopped working and the dishwasher panel needed to be replaced, and they were fixed quickly. My water heater was also replaced. HMS is a good insurance policy to have and it is worth it.

HMS Home Warranty response

Stephen, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear that we’ve been able to provide you with peace of mind for your home management needs. – Austin

Original review: March 16, 2019

My husband purchased the HMS home warranty in advance for the first year and it worked out so we decided to keep it. But lately, putting in a claim has not been as easy as it has been in the past. This year, it's a little harder to put in a claim especially with dual claims. For instance, I had an issue with the washer and dryer. In the past, I would call in for it and I would be able to get in. Now, the rep told me that I gotta do two claims. They tried to charge me two fees of the deductible for that.

Then, I put in a claim for the garbage disposal which was leaking. The water drained down in my cabinet and everything was soaked. It messed up my cabinets. The reps told me not to use that part of the sink, which I didn't. I wasn't able to expedite it and I ended up looking into it. Probably, it wasn't an emergency for them but that was a big deal to me. I have kids and I try to get them to use only one side of the sink to keep it from overflowing.

The service also doesn't seem as fast as it used to be as far as getting appointments. When I call, the reps don't seem as knowledgeable as in the past. Also, the companies recently don't seem to respond as fast. I reached out to HMS to confirm an appointment and the reps would confirm that I'm scheduled. But when I call the company, they have no record of that and I end up having to wait another three or five days to get an appointment. They don't answer the phone a lot of times too. It's been a little different and I am considering switching next year. But other than this past year, my experience with HMS has been great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have been with them for 1.5 years and have had nothing but issues! The first issue I had was when our sink backed up on Thanksgiving. When a tech came out he just plunged the sink and said it was fixed. When it happened again the tech came out and they followed it to the basement and removed a wall And found a leak. The next time it happened (luckily the wall wasn’t fixed yet) they found a clog and removed it. That seemed to solve the problem. When we got the wall fixed we had to pay for it ourselves and submit for reimbursement. I called and they said they did not get it so I sent it. I called back and was told it was not detailed enough. The contractor send a more detailed bill and we were again told it was not detailed enough. The contractor even called them twice. I still have not gotten a checking. I paid $100 each time a tech came out even though it was the same issue.

Second issue was the washer. It broke and they sent someone out to look at it. They said the basket was leaking and ordered a new one. This took a couple weeks. When it arrived a different tech came out and stated there were other issues as well and it needed replaces. HMS gave us one option for replacement or we could get a check (for less than the replacement option) and get what we wanted. We chose Roger what we wanted. I called a few weeks later to see about the check and was told it was accepted and sent. No check so I called 3 weeks later and was told they would stop payment and send a new one. No check, I called 2 weeks later and was told the check was processed wrong and they would fix it and expedite it. No check. I called two weeks later and they said it was sent on 7-11 and they would stop payment and resend.

I finally got the check after months of waiting. Third issue was when my renewal came up I made a payment. About two months later I called to report a claim and was told my account was closed for no payment and I needed to pay the whole year to restart it. I never got a phone call, email or letter. I paid the year and they gave me a discount. I called about 6 months later to report sink issues again and was told my account was closed due to non-payment. The amount of the discount was the amount due. They have no record of a discount. I am still dealing with this issue. Again no calls, emails or letters. They said they would call back in an hour after they check into it and never called. Save yourself some misery and go with another company.

HMS Home Warranty response

Hi Jen - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I assure you, it is never our intention to delay the resolution of any claim. I will be glad to locate your account to see what additional information we need to process your reimbursement. Please allow time for me to investigate, and I will follow up with you directly to address your concerns. Sincerely, Angela

Original review: March 15, 2019

My HMS home warranty came with my house I bought and so far, submitting a claim for service is good. The process is very easy to get started and I've gotten very good assistance from the representatives. However, recently, the plumber has been a little iffy. She unclogged my drain but it clogged back up really fast. I’m not sure if it’s the work she did or it was just something that’s wrong in the pipe. Except for that plumber, everybody else has been great. The technicians who have come to my home, in general, were very professional and kind. They usually fix the problem.

Original review: March 14, 2019

It's quick and easy to file claims over the phone. It was a little complex at first as the rep was having a hard time understanding what I was doing, but he was able to figure it out, so it was good. The tech HMS sent was great as well.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Recently, our hot water heater broke and HMS Home Warranty got someone out here. The rep was very nice and professional. The contractor arrived a little beforehand and it was perfect. He was very nice too and the quality of work that he did was exceptional. They were gonna order a part but then the part was no longer available 'cause it was too old so they replaced the water heater. It has been working well since.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Everything has been great with HMS. I’ve used it for a couple of different services and I never had an issue. The reps worked with me and got someone to fix whatever I needed to be fixed very quickly. A couple of the contractors weren’t as great as I wanted, but then I called back a representative and they got someone else for me. HMS works out really well.

Original review: March 12, 2019

After having paid for 9 years to HMS Warranty, and I only used a few times, I had an emergency need to get my furnace working. Was set up with a service provider but told that the home warranty only covers calls Mon-Fri. (It was a Saturday!) The service provider (on Monday) they were excellent but had to get authorization for a part. (They had the part in stock and could have come back.) I called HMS 4 times in 24 hours. (Requested a supervisor call twice and still waiting.) Each time told that there was nothing that could be done and that their approval dept was "working" on it. It's days day 3 now and still without heat, with a child and it's 26 degrees! Don't expect customer service from this company, nobody seems to care and there is no escalation or complaints dept.

HMS Home Warranty response

Julian, We truly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Our records indicate that you have been working with a member of our Leadership team. Rita will remain in contact with you to ensure your claim has been completely resolved. We appreciate your patience and the feedback you provided. – Christine

Original review: March 12, 2019

I'm satisfied with HMS Home Warranty. When I called them up to submit a claim, they told me which company to contact. I contacted the company and they called back with an hour. They told me what their schedule was gonna be and when they were gonna show up, which they did. But I had a problem with the secondary company. They ordered the wrong part and it took a little bit longer to get the thing fixed. But after that, the technician came back in and fixed the issue. There was not a problem.

HMS Home Warranty response

Keith, Our customers are our top priority, and we are pleased to hear you are satisfied with our service. I regret to hear that the service technician ordered the wrong part and it took longer to resolve your claim. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience. Sincerely, Christine

Original review: March 12, 2019

Filing a claim with HMS Home Warranty for our refrigerator that stopped working was fairly easy. I didn’t really know what to do about it but their rep helped me do it step-by-step. I had to call the service company to set up an appointment but I didn’t have any problems with it. Then, when the contractors came out, they explained everything. If I was confused about anything, they reexplained it to me to know that everything was gonna get fixed in the timeline. They had to order parts and then they had to come back another day to fix it but they got the job done. HMS Home Warranty did a good job.

HMS Home Warranty response

Rachel, Fantastic service is what we aim to provide, and we are excited to hear that you were pleased with our service contractors as well. Thanks - Austin

Original review: March 11, 2019

I got the coverage with HMS Home Warranty when I purchased a home and I have kept up on it. I've had the coverage with them for six years now and I kept deciding to go back to them because it has always worked out really well. On the couple of occasions that I've had to use them, it has been an easy process. I contacted them and they sent somebody out, and the work got done. I preferred submitting my claims online because I just put in my name or my number, filled out my address, and told them what I needed, then they sent the information through, It was fairly simple.

The technicians have been good for the most part and I’ve only had one bad experience. But I wouldn’t put that on HMS, although I hope that I wouldn’t use that person anymore. I ended up contacting somebody else. They took care of the claim and the quality of work that was performed was good. There is peace of mind when there's somebody to call if something malfunctions.

HMS Home Warranty response

Francine, Our goal is to provide reliable service you can count on, and we are delighted to hear we are able to satisfy your overall home warranty needs. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. Sincerely, Austin

Original review: March 11, 2019

I've only had to make a claim at HMS once, and it went really well. The guys came out and everything was set up. They told me that they had to wait to get authorization to replace the garage door unit. They were also about two hours late in arriving, so I had to take time off of work. But they were really nice and very efficient. They cleaned up and did everything I expected.

HMS Home Warranty response

Danny, I'm delighted to hear of your awesome experience with our service technicians, our goal is to provide service in a timely efficient manner. We hope to continue to have you as our valued customer for years to come. - Christine

Original review: March 11, 2019

HMS was quick and responsive when we submitted a claim. I did it online and navigating the website was a little too easy. However, you can’t add any detail to it, which means that it requires a phone call to get any detail. The technicians were good and polite but they were mediocre at best on their actual work. Everything up to now has been pretty good with regards to the quality of work but the last one would require a follow-up call. A new issue has risen from where they fixed it but I would still recommend HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Andy, Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We are constantly updating our processes to improve our customer experience. Thanks for your recommendation! Austin

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 11, 2019

We had another warranty at our old townhouse and we liked them a lot but we moved and for some reason, they said they didn’t have service around then. We moved in our house and we've had HMS Home Warranty since then. We got it for free the first year, then re-upped the second year. They were cool the first year. We have a claim going on now for the icemaker on our refrigerator and it’s taking a long time to get it settled. It has been three weeks. We’re supposed to be waiting on a part from the service provider. Even so, the technician was good. He sent his order but he hasn’t told us why it’s taking so long for the part to actually arrive.

The last two times, we had a hot water heater problem, which was our last claim before the icemaker. The gas control valve broke on it. The plumber who HMS sent out turned the unit off and turned it back on. He said we can call him if it doesn’t work. We called him back and then it took five or six weeks before our hot water heater was finally fixed.

We had to go first to the plumber’s house to get the part because he said he didn’t have time to come fix it. My wife drove to his house, got the part that we needed, then we had to go out of pocket to hire our own plumber to come in and put the part on. It was a lot of back and forth among my wife, HMS and lawsuit threats, but HMS finally reimbursed us for the out of pocket money that we spent. But the whole process just seemed to take forever.

We were trying to cancel our HMS policy, but then they told us that if we cancel and since we already filed a claim, we had to pay all of our remaining yearly dues at one time. So we just went ahead to ride it out in as far as in May of this year. We're also hoping that this freezer problem here doesn’t take too much longer to fix, because every couple of days, we have to go out and buy a bag of ice just to put in the freezer so that we would have ice for the family. There’s a possibility that we're gonna be shopping around.

Maybe that’s not HMS’ fault because we have a Samsung refrigerator and we have an issue with their icemaker. Maybe it’s a Samsung issue and it just happened to fall. But the communication with HMS is not that great. We don’t know why the part for the icemaker hasn’t been here when it’s supposed to. They would figure that they would take care of us a little bit better than that.

HMS Home Warranty response

Derek, I’m sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced while trying to resolve your warranty claims. This is not the level of service we aim to provide. My team will look into your ice maker claim and follow up with you personally to assist. Thanks, Amanda

Original review: March 10, 2019

I had a great experience with HMS Home Warranty. I called in to file a claim and then they referred me to a local company. I actually got connected through the 800-number to that company and that same day, they came out and looked at the problem. The technician was able to diagnose it in a few minutes. Then he came out the next day and replaced the part that was needed. So it was a really good process and he was very helpful.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mark- Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with fast and reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks. – Christine

Original review: March 10, 2019

HMS was presented to us when we bought this house years ago, and they’ve been excellent. I keep paying every year because I’m pleased. I submit the claim, they send the people, it gets fixed and it’s all done. They know what they're doing and they get the job done promptly.

HMS Home Warranty response

Elaine, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with reliable service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thanks for sharing! - Austin

Original review: March 10, 2019

My heater quit working and I called HMS. They got somebody out here as quickly as they could. The technician answered my questions, did what they were supposed to do and the quality of work was fine. The heater is still working and I had a good experience with HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Michael, Thank you for choosing us, we are happy to hear that the warranty has met your expectations, and that we have provided you with prompt and helpful service. -Christine

Original review: March 10, 2019

Ever since I bought my house in October 2013 till the present, I've kept renewing our coverage with HMS Home Warranty. So far, we’ve been happy with the service that we received. I usually called on the phone to submit claims and the reps have done a great job. But when my heater went out, I called in but ended up submitting the claim online. They sent me an email with a number and had the issue taken care of. It was that good. They very quickly got a repairman out and I was really happy with the timeliness. The technicians have all been good and they've all done quality work and given seamless service.

There is the security of having the coverage in case one of my major home systems fail me, although I've filed very few claims with HMS and there were years that went by that I didn’t file any. I have referred four people to HMS over the past two years. Some people that I’ve talked to have a different home warranty company and they aren’t happy. Their company wasn’t giving them the same quality service as HMS. But with HMS, I’m very pleased with the service that I get.

HMS Home Warranty response

Wallace, Thank you for being such a loyal customer and thank you for letting us know how we are doing! We appreciate your recommendation. - Amanda

Original review: March 9, 2019

I normally do my claims with HMS online but I’ve also done it over the phone and both ways have been equally easy. Plus, the techs that they’ve sent have been well. We had American Home Shield before with our old house and that was a nightmare. It would take forever to get anything done with customer service. They’d have me on the phone forever and sometimes it was just a runaround. Then sometimes, they would send out techs that were not good and they weren’t necessarily in our immediate area. It was really much more of a hassle than a reward. With HMS Home Warranty, it has been most definitely much easier.

HMS Home Warranty response

Lynn, Thank you for choosing us as your home warranty company! We know how stressful managing home repairs can be, and are here to provide you with prompt and helpful service twenty four hours a day! We appreciate the time you took to let us know you are satisfied with our service! - Austin

Original review: March 9, 2019

I submitted a claim to HMS today and I’ve had an excellent experience. It's easier to submit online since I know how to do it. On the phone, I always had to go through a whole lot of “press this and try this”, and it took me forever to get through to speak to a person when I had questions. So that was frustrating. Even so, the interactions with the reps were excellent as well as the service with the technicians who were very kind and helpful. We haven’t had any problems at all. I’ve been very pleased with HMS Home Warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Karen, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to her that you had a hard time submitting a claim through our automated system but we are glad to hear you are happy with the online system. We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. Thank you for being a loyal member! - Angela

Original review: March 9, 2019

The one year's worth of warranty from HMS came with the home that we have purchased. And while our experience with them was lovely, I was aggravated and disappointed with the provider they sent to our home. First, we had a miscommunication about the day that he was coming. While this wasn't a big of a deal, when he came for our hot water issue, he said that he installed the water heater many months ago. And then, when he was done repairing it, he said that whoever installed it didn't bother to put the plumber's tape around the pipe.So I thought he was a big fool. He just told me that he installed the hot water heater and then he's charging me $125 for putting tape around the pipe because it’s been sitting here leaking for the last six months. Other than that, submitting a claim was very easy and the rep handled my situation perfectly. Everything went smoothly.

HMS Home Warranty response

Dawn, We appreciate you taking the time to share your warranty experience. We do our best to provide quick and reliable service and we thank you for being a loyal customer. We are sorry to hear that your interaction with one of our service providers was less than satisfactory. I'm sorry to hear about this experience.  It’s definitely not the level of service we aim to provide.- Amanda

Original review: March 8, 2019

So I purchased a home recently with HMS Warranty attached. About 2 weeks later my hot water tank failed, go figure right. So I thought well thank goodness I got this warranty. I filed a claim...over a month ago at this point. So I was told that because I had only just purchased the home I needed to prove that the tank worked when I made the purchase. At this point I was waiting for this reply and never got one so I learned that when I called a week later. Kind of bs but ok I'll accept that. So I email them my home inspection report. 6 days later I call them and they say I need to email it to another address because that one isn't working so it was lost. 2nd time I emailed, 4 days later I'm emailed back saying there was no attachment, which I verified in my sent folder it was there. 3rd time I'm emailed back 4 days later saying they received it and it will take 7-10 days to read it.

Now it has been 2 whole weeks today since then and I just called them again. This time I'm told they need another week to read it so I tried explaining that, "Hey my kids and I need hot water" and the woman cuts me off to tell me I need to understand that they need more time. So this is where I am so far...needless to say just don't...

HMS Home Warranty response

Joshua, It is clear that your experience was less than expected, and we did not meet your expectations. My team will review your claim to ensure your home inspection is reviewed as quickly as possible, and follow up with you personally. Thanks - Amanda

Original review: March 8, 2019

We were never reimbursed for repairs we paid out of pocket and it has almost been a year. Shame on you. Pay me my money. I knew not to pay out of pocket but you assured me I would be reimbursed. I want my money now. You said in 30 days and it's almost a year. I have no hard **. Liars.

HMS Home Warranty response

Hi Karl, I am sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing obtaining your reimbursement. My team would like to follow up with you personally to help resolve your claim. I have located your account and a member of my team will reach out to you to expedite the resolution of your claim. Thanks, Austin

Original review: March 8, 2019

Having HMS Home Warranty has been fine for us. Every time I call, they take care of my claim promptly and efficiently. Their reps are always polite and most of the techs they've sent have been pretty good. HMS does what they're supposed to do.

HMS Home Warranty response

Joshua, Our goal is to provide homeowners like you with prompt service and we are happy to hear we delivered. Thank you for sharing! – Christine

Original review: March 8, 2019

Submitting claims to HMS has gotten easier. However, their reps are not always able to answer our questions. Techs usually come within a few days but then some are terrible. They could improve their communication and workmanship. Still, some of the techs have been very good.

HMS Home Warranty response

Safia, We appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback, and are sorry to hear that some of your interactions with our representatives and service personnel were unsatisfactory. We are constantly making efforts to improve the customer experience to ensure future interactions go as smoothly as possible.– Christine

Original review: March 8, 2019

I did a claim recently with HMS Home Warranty for the furnace and it went well. But the thing is HMS is not fast. Sometimes, we make an emergency claim. One time, my garage door went off and I was with two little kids, and it was on a very cold weather. And I needed somebody to come right away and nobody could come. The same thing happened for the furnace. There was nobody, then somebody else was given, and then somebody came in quick. We had to make like three calls at least and follow up. We cannot just sit back and relax. We have to follow up a lot to have somebody come and take care of it.

The contractors were all okay. Some of them directly say, "Here's the heads-up, HMS doesn't cover everything. If this is gone, that won't be covered. That will be on you, just letting you know. Is it still okay? Do you want me to still come on in?" But some of them say, "Okay, will be there and will take care of things." So, some people are polite, but some people are not. Also, some people ask a couple of questions and try to analyze and see the problem from a distance. They should at least make an attempt to come and take a look at the issue before they judge over the phone by the given company. With the furnace, the one they gave us the first contact to said he couldn't come. But then the second guy responded really nicely and they came. The issue was a small thing, and the guy just fixed and he left in a couple of minutes.

HMS Home Warranty response

Vivya, We strive to provide an effortless claim experience for our customers and it’s great to know that overall, you were pleased with our service. We appreciate your feedback and will provide it back to the organization in an effort to improve our customer experiences and on our process and procedures. - Austin

Original review: March 7, 2019

I’ve had a few claims with HMS and the price has been reasonable and convenient for me. It was a good service overall. You can submit a claim online or call in. They prefer that you do it online. Sometimes they could get a little choppy in terms of finding an appointment time that works, but all in all, it works out if you call them. If you don’t see anything online that works for you, then you can call in and try to find something a little bit more flexible.

However, they could use some work with the contractors. I have found a reliable one in terms of my plumbing and drywall work, but I had a few issues with two of their plumbers before I found one that was reliable. So now, if I have a plumbing issue, I just request this specific company every time I put in a claim. The quality of the work done has been good. I haven’t had anybody who needed to come back. But they could also improve getting access to speaking to someone. Once you speak to someone, it’s good, but that process of getting through all the prompts on the phone is terrible. But outside of that, I will recommend HMS Home Warranty.

HMS Home Warranty response

Sabrina – We take our network of service partners seriously, and appreciate your feedback about the service providers assigned to your claims. Please know, we work hard daily to identify weaknesses and tweak our processes in order to provide the best possible experience for our customers. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences, and are delighted to hear you would recommend our warranty. Sincerely, Angela

HMS Home Warranty Company Information