3.26/5
Based on 1,044 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years Cinch Home Services (formerly HMS Home Warranty) has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

Cinch is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

HMS Home Warranty Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

We submitted a claim 2 months ago and they have not resolved the problem. Took our deductible and refuse to reimburse. They lied to us about the parts being shipped, then they said it was never ordered and they refuse to send another company right away to fix the problem. My contract is expiring and will not renew. However they still kept our deductible.

HMS Home Warranty response

Karla, I’m sorry to hear that this was your experience. We’d be glad to help provide a resolution. I have located your account and my team will complete a full review of your claim and follow up with you personally. Thank you - Amanda

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I've had a home warranty contract with HMS for 4 years and have been satisfied with their performance until this past week. They have revamped operations and everything is now automated on the phone, can't speak to a live person. They assigned a service company to me, this is new, who came promptly enough to inspect the problem, a smoking washing machine, and said I needed a new belt. After that, nothing. I've left several messages with HMS because the answering machine with the service provider is full and not taking more messages. No one is following up with me after a week. They texted me a link to an online status for my service, but it says "in process" and has not been updated since the initial visit a week ago.

I paid $125 for the initial visit which I hope I can get back, except there is really no way now under their new procedures to contact them. I will pay out of pocket again for a good local repair person to fix this problem. Seems like HMS is cutting costs with their new system, but it is an utter failure for their customers. My paper contract with them says I have 24/7 support, but at best that is an egregious misrepresentation. I will certainly not renew my contract with them.

HMS Home Warranty response

Gary, I am sorry to hear this. My team wants to help expedite a resolution for you. Please respond to this message with your claim number or property address, so we can locate your account and a member of our team will investigate and follow up with you personally. - Angela

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

We have had a ton of issues and will be switching our provider after this year for our Home Warranty due to the horrible service this company provides. We have had them send out techs who did nothing and then billed us for a 15 minute dash around our property. Upon calling saying the techs did nothing, HMS sends out the same guys who might do the repair and surely bill you again. No reimbursements for when they show up and do nothing.

We had our AC break and it took two weeks and 3 separate repair trips to fix something that could have been fixed the first time. We were billed for each repair ticket even though it was the same guy who came three times and he only fixed our unit once. I had another HVAC professional on hand to make him do the work on his 3rd visit. Now I am waiting literally for 1 month to get a motor replaced in my Dryer at my house. This company is a scam 100% I cannot believe they are still around. In Fact they are so bad they just changed their name to American Home Warranty to try and hide their previous disasters. IF YOU CONSIDER YOUR TIME VALUABLE, DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!

HMS Home Warranty response

Charles, I am sorry this was your experience. This definitely does not represent the service we aim to provide. We appreciate your feedback and would like to address your concerns. Please respond with your full property address and we will investigate and follow up with you directly. – Austin

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I've had a home warranty with them for over 15 years. The Hot Water Heater took weeks to be done. They find the cheapest way to go, which mean that you can go without water or service for long periods of time. All they can tell a customer is that they are ordering a part is on order after about 20 minutes of telling me that they don't have any such job. When they finally find the service request they are unable to figure out what is going on or why. They go by multiple company names. HMS Warranty, Cross Country Home Warranty and a few others. I only know this because they answer with the wrong name most of the time from the one that I actually purchased the warranty with. POOR POOR COMPANY....

HMS Home Warranty response

Kerwin, I’m sorry to hear that your claim did not go as quickly as you expected. Please know, we appreciate the valuable feedback you have provided, and we will provide your feedback within our company in an effort to improve further customer experiences. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I wish I could give a lower rating. I had issues with my furnace. Filed a claim, had a contractor come out, diagnose the problem, take my $100 deductible, and order the parts. It has now been 16, almost 17 days, have not heard from the contractor, tried calling HMS, and been ignored after leaving voicemail with name, address, and phone number. It's getting down into the 30's at night, and I have spotty heat. Will NEVER again use these people. They absolutely do not care about you or your situation, heck, they wont even return a phone call. I will gladly just call a local business to come fix whatever and gladly pay the bill out of pocket and have whatever issue fixed in a day or 2 rather than waiting over 2 weeks and no one contacting me to even give an update. At this point, all I want is my $100 deductible back, and to never hear from these people again.

HMS Home Warranty response

Raymond, As we strive to provide our customers with superior customer service, we wish to take this opportunity to express our appreciation for calling this matter to our attention. We would like to follow up with you directly to ensure all of your concerns are resolved, please reply with your full property address so we can locate your account and give you a call. Sincerely, Austin

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I purchased my home 3 week ago with a HMS Home warranty. I placed a claim with the HMS people and have the technician come out and diagnose my Oven issues. He ordered 3 parts for the oven. I called the company 9 days later to find out the status of the parts. I was told that the HMS people had canceled the order! I called HMS to find out why the parts were canceled. I can not obtain a live person to talk with and keep getting recorded messages! Very poor customer service! Very poor company.

HMS Home Warranty response

Martin, I’m sorry to hear about the delays you’ve experienced during your claim process. I have located your account and my team will complete a thorough investigation and follow up with you as soon as we can. - Austin

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I have not had that much experience with the company but today I had to call them back on a job that needed to be addressed and added to the work order. It took me three calls, and lots of operator request, customer service, "0" and after 20 minutes I finally got to a human being, only to answer the same questions that were addressed in the three previous attempts to speak to an operator. They did add the additional work to the job order ....but can't they make it more efficient to do so without all the stress of trying to speak to a human being?

HMS Home Warranty response

Maria, We’re disappointed to hear that you experienced problems with our automated system. We are always working to improve our customer experience and we appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback. We ensure it will be forwarded for further review. Have a great day ! - Austin

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

We have been "given" an HMS warranty with two different home purchases. We just filed our third claim for our Frigidaire refrigerator that came with our most recent house. HMS denied our claim because they do not cover "known manufacturer defects". If you don't cover deficiencies in products then what good are you really?! We also tried to claim HVAC and plumbing help through our "home warranty" only to pay a $100 deductible/service call every time to be denied by HMS. I can only speak from personal experience but this company and their warranty is one of the biggest scams out there. Keep your money and buy insurance on your most expensive systems independently. This company is garbage.

HMS Home Warranty response

Peter, We understand your feelings and value your feedback. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered by your warranty. In this instance the manufacturer is responsible for any manufacturer’s defects. The warranty covers normal wear and tear failures. If you would like for my team to give you a call to further discuss your concerns, please respond with the best time to reach you. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

Company says part has been on order for 3 weeks. Customer service cannot tell us anything. No managers or supervisors are available. Requests on website. Nobody gets back with you or calls you back within 24 hours. Been told by the contractor that came out and looked at it not to run heat because it could produce carbon monoxide in the house. We've also had another contractor look at it who told us the same that it was very dangerous to run the heat. Last response (only because we refused to get off the phone until we got a response) from HMS quote 'really this is not an emergency because it's not 30 degrees outside". Guess when it gets 30 degrees outside and we have to use the heat for long periods of time "if one of us do survive" then they would have a great lawsuit. Very dissatisfied with this company we do not recommend it. Guess next step is to contact News Channel 5.

HMS Home Warranty response

Tins, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I assure you this is not the level of service we aim to provide. I have located your account and my team will complete a review of your claim and follow up with you personally. Thanks - Austin

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

We have submitted information to the Better Business Bureau regarding the inconsistent and incompetence of this company's ability to deal with honoring claims we purchased coverage for. The company refuses to provide us with last names of supervisors, we have spent 20 plus hours on the phone being placed on hold only to be disconnected. Each supervisor has a different interpretation of why a claim would not be honored with total disregard of what is printed in the booklet that we receive.

The company has sent a contractor unlicensed in the area of need to our home to inspect the claim-example, a heating and air conditioning company to look at a pool pump/filter. We questioned this practice and was told that it is what comes up on their system. The contractor took our deductible, told HMS it needed to be replaced and they argued for it to be repaired by ordering parts. Parts were ordered (wrong parts) and the heating/air company can no longer be contacted--they took our money and ran. HMS does not even have the parts that the company purchased. We were then told to have our pool company submit information for repair/replacement--then the claim was denied.

In the interim, the pool heater also fails to work as a result of faulty recommendations given by heating/air company. We also put in a claim for a ceiling fan and they wanted to send a painter in to inspect that claim which clearly needs an electrician. We decided it would be less costly to just replace it ourselves even though we are paying for coverage under the HMS warranty. While we are trying to resolve issues with the claims we continue to receive emails, postal mailing and phone calls requesting we renew our HMS warranty for the upcoming year. We are extremely dissatisfied with the customer service and how claims are handled. They easily take our money each month but as we have learned they drag their feet when claims are made and it will end up costing us more money out of pocket in the long run due to this company's poor management and practices. I encourage people NOT to purchase a home warranty through HMS.

HMS Home Warranty response

Tina- I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our goal is to provide the right technician at the right time and provide prompt claim resolutions and it is clear we did not deliver. I have located your account and will have a member of my team investigate and follow up with you directly to address your concerns. Thank you- Christine

HMS Home Warranty Company Information