3.25/5
Based on 1,107 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For over 30 years HMS Home Warranty has been committed to making home ownership easy by working with real estate professionals, home buyers and sellers to provide affordable coverage for mechanical failures of major home systems and appliances.

HMS Home Warranty is a member of the National Home Service Contract Association and we have a nationwide network of over 40,000 service partners to provide repair or replacement services. Our customer service teams are available 24/7/365 and we provide a simple claims process.

We understand that home ownership is a big investment, and we help to protect both home buyers and home sellers from expensive and unexpected repair and replacement costs before, during and after the sale of the home.

B+BBB Rating
View More View More

3220 HMS Home Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 6 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

It took three trips and two companies to get to the source of the issue with our A/C Unit. The first company came out and only replaced a screw the first trip and said everything was fine. He said it’ll take some time to cool off. Never Did!! Second time he checked the Freon and said it was low. Said he put Freon in it and that it should be fine. It was cool for two days then I had to put another order for repair in. This time they sent out Pro Source and it was like night and day. He check everything and said the Freon was low by about 2 pounds. He replaced the Freon and it took over three pounds, so I don’t think the first company put any in it or if he did it was minimal. Still working to this day, Thanks Pro-Source.

HMS Home Warranty response

Marie- We are sorry to hear that it took more than one visit to get your air conditioner troubles resolved, but are happy to hear that it was repaired successfully and the unit is still working properly. Thanks for your honest feedback! Christine

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

We purchased the HMS warranty on June 22nd, 2019. On September 2nd, 2019, our air conditioner stopped working. We filed a claim. HMS sent a technician out and technician reported we need a total replacement. 24 hours after the technician sent their report to HMS, we contacted HMS by phone to follow up with our claim status. We were told verbally that our claim was being denied due to “improper maintenance” and told they will submit this in writing. I contacted their customer service on September 4th requesting the written denial, again.

As I write this review (September 11, 2019), we have yet to receive this denial in writing. On September 6th, we sent a written request to their dispute department, expressing our desire to have a second opinion. We received an automatic response email on September 9th, 2019 stating they will let us know by phone or email within 48 hours. Today, September 11, I contacted their department again to follow up on the dispute. At this time I was told “We have 39 minutes left within our 48 hour window”.

When dealing with the dispute department, you are unable to be transferred to this department and are forced to deal with their customer service department. I asked this customer service agent if she could verify the reason the claim was denied and her response was “due to the pest clause”. I asked what she meant by pests. She said “The technician noted 3 MOTHS were found in the unit. I then mentioned we were initially told the claim was denied due to improper maintenance, not pest. Our phone call mysteriously got disconnected. As of date, we don’t have a written denial, we were denied a copy of the report submitted by the technician, and have had mixed reasons for claim denial. This is a horrific experience and feels like a scam. We do not recommend this company at all.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mandi, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items that may not be covered. We have requested that a formal letter be sent to you and it may take up to 7-10 Business days. We regret this was not the outcome that you were hoping for. Respectfully, Austin

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Started out with HMS having very good experiences. All minor repair stuff. Then we lost our furnace in December and they could not seem to get it fixed. They kept sending out technicians with parts even though the techs were telling me they think the unit needed to be replaced. After several weeks of using space heaters into January, we called another furnace company on our own. They replaced the unit in less than a week.

HMS refused to cover any portion of the replacement in dealing with their so called customer service group. Finally I had to write a letter to the President of the company to let him know my frustration and how unreasonable his team was. The end result was they agree to cover half the cost of the replacement which I was actually fine with. Then when renewal time for the policy came up, they had me marked for dropping. What a sad state of treating a customer. Good for small stuff, but look out if you have a bigger problem!

HMS Home Warranty response

Rick, We understand your feelings and value your feedback. There are a number of factors which could be at play in this scenario. In some areas we may lack sufficient service providers, or there could be regulatory changes to the requirements in your local area. We apologize for any inconvenience regarding the non-renewal of your policy. - Angela

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Worst experience ever. Took 3 months of constant calling and asking for management after continuously explaining, being told what to do, following instructions and then receiving an email for follow up that never happened.... only to end in denial. The company they sent could not repair the problem and were extremely rude and unprofessional and I was told to find someone else and then told it would not be covered.

HMS Home Warranty response

Heidi, I’m sorry to hear that your warranty experience did not go as you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items and conditions which may not be covered. We’d be glad to reach out to you to better explain your coverage, if you’d like for us to give you a call directly, please provide the best time to reach you. Sincerely, Amanda

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Got HMS Home Warranty when purchasing the house 2 years ago. Renewed policy after one year. Unfortunately during the 2 years we had 3 claims, 2 of which were for AC units. One claim took about a month before it was approved. Just received a letter that they will not renew our policy. Maybe because they lost money on us....

HMS Home Warranty response

Marleen, We understand your feelings and value your feedback. There are a number of factors which could be at play in this scenario. In some areas we may lack sufficient service providers, or there could be changes to the requirements in your local area. We apologize for any inconvenience regarding the non-renewal of your policy. - Amanda

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HMS Home Warranty?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Today marks exactly 30 days since I placed a claim on my GE Profile Refrigerator. Over the past 30 days, I have received more excuses for service provider no-shows and no return phone calls on confirmed appointments and promises than actions which led to a resolution. I have spoken with countless representatives and supervisors at the HMS/Cross County corporate office and little has been done in follow-up to move my claim forward. After their first service provider closed my first claim stating the parts ordered were installed and the refrigerator was working (totally incorrect), a new claim was opened (3 weeks into this ordeal) with a new service provider who has a phone number, never answered, which goes to voicemail, and the voicemail box is full. During my call today with HMS supervisors Gloria and Robin, I asked how they would feel if their family was without a refrigerator for 30+ days to which they replied they couldn't imagine the inconvenience.

Well, I cannot only imagine the inconvenience, but have been living with the inconvenience for now over 30 days with no resolution in sight. I asked if they could simply replace the refrigerator due to the extreme time and inconvenience and deal with the internal issues of their field staff providing poor to no customer service. Instead of saying "yes," we feel this action is appropriate based on your ordeal, they want to start the process all over again from scratch. With this type of customer service acumen and overall attitude, I strongly advise against wasting your money for a home warranty with HMS/Cross Country which simply does not deliver when you have a claim. Please ask yourself this question, "Could your family effectively live without a refrigerator for over 30 days (and no end in sight), having to eat out frequently, buy ice continually for staples and live out of ice chests?"

HMS Home Warranty response

Daniel,Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not the level of service we intend to provide and I'm sorry this has been your experience. We have located your account and a member of our team will review your claim to see what we can do to get this resolved. Once the review is completed, they will follow up with you directly. Thank you, Austin .

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My hot water tank failed on Friday before Labor day. HMS sent a plumber Saturday evening who recommended replacement. On Tuesday, I called HMS to get a status. They called back an hour later to tell me they were not going to use that contractor because he cost too much, they would send another. A new one came out Wednesday and gave the same evaluation. I called today to get a status 6 times!!!! I was given 6 different answers. No one knows when or where the tank is. Person 1: (Chris) "Claim is in research." Person 2: "Part has been ordered you have to contact plumber for status.." Person 3: (Oscar -who transferred me to the plumber in the middle of the conversation.) "We are waiting for you to approve non covered charges before ordering" and stated one of the unapproved charges was torch fee! Person 4: "Claim is in research."

Person 5: DOUG (the worst of all-hung up) I requested a claim cash out because of the delays and part not ordered, he then claimed the part was ordered but could not give me the make or model. Person 6: Ericka- EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!! At the time of this writing, I still have no idea when I will have hot water again and no one is in a rush to let me know. They do not treat you with dignity or as if this was their home. How would any of them like to go without hot water for a week or two?

HMS Home Warranty response

Robin- I’m sorry to hear this has been your experience. This is not the level of service HMS aims to provide and we’d like to help. I have located your account and my team will investigate and follow up with you once as soon as possible today. Thank you, Austin

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

On August 21, 2019 our air conditioner stopped working and I called our HMS warranty. HMS sent a technician from Legacy Home Comfort. The technician came the next day and asked for the deductible and said he couldn’t do anything without it, so we paid him the $100.00 deductible. He then proceeded to open the air conditioner and left pieces on the ground (picture attached). Then shortly after he left and when I asked him if it was fixed, he told me the fan does not work. I asked when he would fix it and he told me, "It needs a part and your home warranty should provided the part". I asked when would this happen, and he said he doesn’t know and I should call and ask my warranty company. I asked him for a receipt for the deductible that I paid and also the report of what the problem is with the air conditioner, he said he couldn’t give me one.

I do not recall the technicians name, but I recall he was in a rush. He didn’t want to answer any questions. So the following day, on Friday August 23 I called HMS and a representative named Fernando told me that a report was not sent to HMS and Fernando does not know what is going on. I explained to him that the house is incredibly hot and we can’t stand the heat. Fernando told me he could not do anything because the Technician did not submit anything. He then informed me that I should call back on Monday August 26. On August 27, I got an email, stating the warranty cannot cover the cost because the filter is not clean. So, I called HMS the same day I received the email. I was transferred to a supervisor. I explained the situation once again to the supervisor and told them I had changed the filter 3 months ago and asked that the report would be sent to me.

The supervisor stated that a report could not be sent to me and it would take 3 weeks to receive a report. I told the supervisor to send another technician and told her about the previous technician. The supervisor told me that this could not be done. The supervisor said they couldn’t help me and the only thing they can do is provided me with an email (SUPPORTSERVICES@cchs.com) and explain what happened. I told the supervisor that the technician left the air conditioner open with parts on the ground and that this was a hazard to the household. Then she put me on hold while she called the company to come and close the air conditioner. She informed me that she spoke with a gentleman from Legacy Home Comfort named Eric and he told her that he would send someone to come and close the air conditioner. More than 2 weeks passed now and I haven’t heard from them

I sent an email to SUPPORTSERVICES@cchs.com on August 29, 2019 and only heard from them on September 5 after 7 days! The person who called me said the same exact thing and did not provide me with any reports neither a date for someone to come inspect or even close up the opened AC that is very hazardous!

The Solution I need is to send a decent technician to come and have a look at our air conditioner. This is unacceptable and we deserve better service then this. We have been living for more than two weeks without air conditioning which is very difficult since we have pets and seniors in the home. So, I asked that you would act fast on resolving this issue, it can’t be prolonged anymore. Someone should follow up with me and explain to me what is going one. I spoke with four people and no one was able to resolve my issue or tell me what is going on or what I need to do. I would rather not have to escalate this matter to the Attorney General office and the BBB. All I ask is that this all gets resolved so that my family and I can go back to living comfortably.

HMS Home Warranty response

Mina, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and I’m sorry to hear this was your experience. As with all warranties coverage is detailed in the agreement and there may be items/conditions which may not be covered. We’d like to review your claim to ensure it was handled within the terms and conditions of your warranty. My team will investigate your claim and follow up with you personally. Thanks, Christine

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I waited almost a week for the 3rd party provider to arrive. He tells me that I have 2 choices. I can either pay my $100 deductible plus an additional $60 to buy my own part or I can I wait more than 2 weeks to have the replacement performed. I assumed my $100 deductible would cover the part regardless where he gets it from but he assures me it's only covered if he gets it from the cheapest possible provider. So I'm looking at 3 - 4 weeks for a basic repair that could easily be done today assuming the 3rd party provider wasn't required to use the cheapest possible part otherwise is required to charge me full price for the part plus deductible.

HMS Home Warranty response

David, We regret to hear that your repair is taking longer than expected. I have located your account and will complete a thorough review of your dryer claim to see how we can expedite a resolution for you. – Christine

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Third time now that a claim that the service provider says should be covered and which the policy shows is covered has been denied. Each time we call to find out why and get bounced from person to person to person and department to department to department and still nothing. When this warranty runs out I will not be renewing.

HMS Home Warranty response

Jeff, I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear that your claim experience was not what you expected. As with all warranties, coverage is detailed in the Agreement and there are items or conditions which may not qualify for coverage. If you’d like for us to review your claim to ensure that you received the full benefit of your warranty, please respond to this message with your full property address and a member of my team will investigate and follow up with you. Thank you - Angela

HMS Home Warranty Company Information