Consumer Reviews and Complaints

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your business, Eric!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

A couple of years ago, our real estate agent out here in California called us since we were going to sell our home in St. Louis, Missouri. We were becoming rent tenants, so she told us to consider getting a home warranty. I did a little research on First American and they had a good reputation. I talked to them and they went through a very detailed process on the product that they offered, so we chose them. We got a platinum home warranty deal that it had covered everything from head to toe in the house, and all we had to pay was a very small premium and then whenever we got a service call with anything. For $700 a year, it covers everything. It really turned out to be awesome.

It has been very easy to submit claims with them. I call their number, they look me up, then they verify the package that I have. Once that has been done, usually within the same day, they get back to me. We are out of state, and the technicians had been very cooperative. They would call me and I was able to give them the tenant’s number so they can arrange times. It’s been a really good service. Moreover, I don’t have eyes on the field, but I'm not hearing any complaints. Our tenants have been happy. In fact, one of them had no hot water and they have little kids, and we got First American after that day and got things fixed. So far, everything is good. It has been an easy-peasy experience.

First American Home Warranty

Happy to be of service, Sarah!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

The previous owners that we bought our house from already had the insurance from First American so we continued on with it. Submitting claims was pretty easy and fast. The reps were very helpful and they always answered my questions when I needed service. My mother-in-law who interacted with the First American people said that they were very good and respectful. Their people were professional and I'm pretty satisfied with their business.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for being a loyal customer, Gaye!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I’ve used First American for 22 years and sometimes I’ve had very good luck. In the last five years, they’ve improved everything a lot in the sense of getting the signal sent to the person to come out much faster. And, you don’t have to be on hold for long on the phone line. Then lately it’s been pretty black and white. They are up front to say what is not covered and if it is covered, you pay your $65 and the thing gets fixed. They have replaced appliances when it was shot and could be replaced.

When it goes well, it goes very well and when it goes poorly, it goes very poorly. I had a washing machine once and the guy was very easy to work with. It was black and white, and he said, “This machine is shot. You should get a new one and we’ll pay for it and we’ll cover it with Sears.” They came right out, put the machine in and it was fine. That worked well. Then there was a time, also with Sears, where they wanted to set me up with representatives in Alabama and I simply didn’t want to order a dishwasher online.

I’m the kind of person who likes to take the tape measure down and be sure the machine is gonna actually fit. Some of the things that were for sale now were different. And finally, they allowed me to have a Tucson man come up from Sears and say, “Okay, we’re gonna bring you down to the selection and we’ll show you several and then we’ll get back to First American. And in order for them to pay, they need to make the approval of one of these that you pick.” So I said, “Okay, that sounds much better to me.” And he had the measuring tape and knew the exact models that would be good for that space. But when I did go down, I got in this trouble. First American said that I had made an upgrade and tried to charge me more money for that. That wasn’t good.

I had to do a lot of letters and forms, but finally it went in my favor. They finally agreed. They gave the choices and I had made a selection and they finally didn’t make me pay the extra $1,000. It was handled to everybody’s best ability, but there were misunderstandings all along the way. I stood my ground like I really didn’t think it was a good idea to put in a machine by ordering online. And then I really was happy when First American let me go down to Sears and choose and then Sears was very firm about they would not sell me one or install until First American approved. Then First American approved one and the man came out a day or two’s time and put one in.

I called in to open a request to find out why my Fridge Ice maker and dispensing is not working and why the build in Electric Wall Microwave/Oven is not working. The request is open, they sent the repair person, the repair person did such a horrible job on the Fridge Ice maker, attached see the pictures of all the back marks which was left, so unclean, don't even want to use the Fridge Ice maker now, since it's in such a bad state, he put his dirty hands in the ice maker while fixing, yuck. See the handles of the fridge as well the way it was left. First American Home Warranty is saying dispensing is not covered this is not covered all the fine prints. I am saying to them first see the how the job is done. It is made worse than what was before.

On the Microwave/Oven, the repair person came twice and he cannot repair it, wasted almost more than 2-3weeks, still not working. First American Home Warranty says, "We will replace." Ok. Thank you. Though I requested, "Can you please have Steel as oppose to Black, since the price on the replacement one is same for both the models." They say, "No, we cannot do." Even if there was price difference for 50-100$ I could have paid the difference though they say, "No we will just give you black color, that's it." So rude. I don't believe. I will be recommending this in future to any of any friends to get insurance from First American Home Warranty.

I think that getting the home warranty was the best thing that I could have done. This warranty has bailed me out a few times and with a small deductible. I am really happy with my warranty. If this was offered for renewal at a reasonable rates I would like to renew my policy.

We decided to end our contract with First American Home Warranty after the first year, and stated that when they called for the renewal period. They said they would cancel the contract, but no written verification was ever received. We continued to get monthly billings, and disputed the billings through First American and the credit card company. Finally 6 months after the verbal cancellation we got an emailed confirmation of the cancellation stating that further payments were canceled as of that date and a $36.00 credit had been applied.

But 3 months later another bill appeared on our credit card statement showing a "rebill" for $36.00. Reaching a person by phone for this type of issue is difficult through their phone system, but a person named "Anthony" finally agreed that the billing was an "error" and we should wait 3-4 days for a credit to appear on our credit card. The lessons from this for us were: (1) Always insist on written confirmation immediately on ending a contract; (2) NEVER agree to automatic billing from a main credit card or bank account from companies like this. If such billing is required, always use a temporary credit card for that company's bills and cancel the credit card when the contract is over.

Had an air-conditioning unit go out only to tell me it's not covered because they believe the damage is months old. Really I, it's been 100 for over two weeks. It's been on every day... told me I should have had a home inspection report prior to me purchasing their extravagant bloated fake coverage. Try another company.

Had First American Home Warranty and my microwave broke in December 2016. They sent an engineer and then he had to write a report. They then said the board needed to be replaced. They could not find the board anymore and said the board would need to be refurbished. The engineer strongly advised against this as it said it will break again after a few weeks/months. The First Home warranty agent didn't care. They should have replaced the microwave. It ended up taking 3 months for the board to be replaced and put back in the microwave. I have 3 small children and First home warranty did not care that I had to wait this long for the repair. The renewal came through. I refused due to the fact they did not meet their obligations. 1. did not replace the microwave, 2. took 3 months to fix, 3. no compensation.

And lo behold 1 month later the microwave has broken and I no longer have coverage. Complete waste of time dealing with this company. Horrible customer service and even the engineer said he has stopped working for the firm because of the way they behave and they were paying less fees. Save your money and don't bother with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Well, I called First American as soon as I got home to let them know my furnace wasn't working so I need someone to come look at it. It is the middle of March but is extremely cold in Ohio right now, 20 degrees, feels like 4. They said someone would contact me within 24 to 48 hours. I explained that it is too cold in the house and we need heat sooner than that. The representative told me it is not considered an emergency. I explained to him how cold it is and after about 20 minutes of bickering they, First American, decided they would dispatch a company that would contact me within 8 hours. It has now been 13 hours, still do not have heat. I was able to put space heaters in one room and get the temperature up to 57. Thankfully my wife and son are now at school where it is warm. I am working from home with gloves that I have cut the finger tips off so I can type.

I could call someone else for service on my own but of course, they won't pay unless they select the service provider. Maybe today I'll get a call from someone. I would never buy a warranty through First American Home Warranty. A home warranty should at minimum keep people safe, a house without heat in these temperatures is not safe. Sure, I can call someone else and pay for it on my own but then the insurance company wins. That is how they make money, they collect premiums but don't pay out on claims. It's worse than a Ponzi scheme, at least the first investors get some money back in a Ponzi scheme!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm happy with the results given by First American. But while some of their contractors are good, some aren't that good. The temperature of my refrigerator was going nuts, the reset button was always on red, and the icemaker was no longer freezing. I called First American and they sent a vendor who told me that there's a very strong possibility that the control board is going haywire. The guy's English was terrible that I can hardly understand him. It was difficult communicating and I had to pry the information out of him. He was speaking in whispers and he didn't do anything. He came in, told me what could be wrong with it, and left. He didn't even charge me.

First American is unable to get a hold of the vendors. It would be like winning a lottery, if I get a hold of them. They're not answering the phone and still, it's not fixed. But the other two issues I had with my icemaker and garage furnace were taken care of immediately, with no problems at all. Those were just very simple, and smooth transactions. The people at First American are courteous professionals and overall good people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The house came with a one-year warranty provided by First American when I bought it and I never had any issues. I know other homeowners who had issues with their warranty companies who are not covering claims or they'll find a loophole but I never have to worry about that with First American so I decided to stay. Submitting claims is very simple and easy, either online or by calling them, and interactions with their reps are always smooth. If the contractor they hired doesn't service my area, they usually get someone else on very quickly. The technicians are also very pleasant. They come, do the job, restore whatever is broken and they leave. They don't take too much time and their work is good. They're a great company with easy transactions and I highly recommend them.

Resolution In Progress

We bought a house in 2012 and took a policy with First American. A few months later our hot water heater broke. The customer service was awful and the contractors (we had to have 2 different ones come out) were incompetent and could care less about providing service. Because of their terrible service we went 7 DAYS without hot water. This is completely unacceptable.

We have since purchased a new home last year. Our sellers purchased another policy with First American. I wouldn't have gone with this company, however, the sellers chose it for us. Fast forward to yesterday when our hot water heater in our new home. AGAIN we are having issues with customer service. We asked to be flagged as an emergency service with a callback within 8 hours... this was not done. After we contacted the vendor they referred us to told us they couldn't come out for 2 days. It amazes me how uncaring and rude everyone has been through the past experience and now the current. Our policy is up next month and we will be exploring other companies.

The gentleman who came to the house was professional and knowledgeable, along with being very nice. The work was completed in a quick amount of time. Time was also taken to explain why the issue had happened. The technician was on time, and person who scheduled the appointment was also very nice.

This is my second time with First American and both have been very disappointing. Previously, I owned an 1920's craftsman style home so when the warranty was fairly useless (tech would come out and either claim something was not covered or stare at me with blank eyes because he didn't have a proper snake to unclog a pipe) I wrote it off on the age of the property. Second try turned out even worse. This time, I purchased a newer property and the warranty was part of the negotiation, so why not. The first time I filed a claim, it was denied due to some improper wiring. I paid $65 for the tech visit, which provided me with a ONE SENTENCE explanation for the denial, no suggestions, no nothing. Expensive, yes, but fine, things happen.

Remembering my previous experience though, I decided I will be probably better off not paying $65 for questionable service I received going forward and decided to cancel the policy. That took a little time and effort but I finally received my refund in the mail. Since it was less than expected, I contacted customer service and it turns out that I was charged a $140 claim cost related to the above mentioned claim. So basically, I ended up paying $205 for a half hour visit by a tech which provided me zero service. I reached out to customer service to try to understand how this pricing is anywhere near realistic and they just keep telling me that it's based on their negotiated price with the service provider. I will keep talking to them but I doubt I am getting any more of my money back. Beware.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The previous owners of the house I bought had First American. I wanted protection and First American had a good price for what it would cover. The claim process was easy although I had one that was a little difficult ‘cause the person on the phone was hard to understand. It was when my refrigerator went out and he told me he couldn’t get anyone out there for three weeks. But someone else called me back and she got the technicians out a couple days later so it turned out fine. Anytime I had technicians come, they were good. Overall, my experience with First American has been good.

Resolution In Progress

On Feb 13, 2017, my Compressor fan was not working when I tried to switch on cooling. It took me a torturous 1 month, where I had to make several unsuccessful calls to First AM. They kept denying blindly the claim, and always found a false reason. Even after leaving several messages the claims Manager did not even bother call. Here is my painful experience: Both contractors said completely different things. 1'st Contractor North Star was inexperienced and said improper installation of fan motor was the cause of short. Which I challenged and submitted a report proving it wrong. 2nd Contractor was vague and said that the switch to join wires missing -> Which was not missing but broken by fan motor due to "Wear & Tear", again claim denied falsely.

At the end I got completely frustrated and go it fixed using an outside contractor. As suspected L1 Terminal shorted out on the compressor, and compressor Fan needs to be replaced. When I reported this back to First AM, they started a new theory that since I got this fixed from outside they will not cover it, while they were OK to keep denying this for 1 month. Guys please dont waste your money, this will be a torture.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I put my claim through over the phone and they remember. They saw in the system where I've been a part of them. I told them what I was wanting as far as my claim. They went ahead and put me in the system. They treated me fine, even the guy that came out and serviced my call then. The quality of work was pretty good. So it’s the same steps that I had years ago and I've never had any problems out of it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

At first, I thought that First American doesn't need to use Sears as one of their contacts. We had somebody to come out two weeks ago and look at our washer. He had to order parts, which was fine. Then, they came in a couple of days ago. When we called, they said that they're already here. But they gave a 9-hour window between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and that's not good because everybody's busy. And if I don't know what time, I don't know if they're gonna show up then. We can take two to four hours but not from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. Another problem is they didn't call that they were coming until 5:30. By then, I had already called First American to send somebody else. But the other people that they have assigned are doing very well and it's Sears. Other than that, First American is all doing a good job by finding people. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had them come out and fix our garage, and they were prompt. My husband gave them a call, and they set up a time. But then something came up so we had to postpone it, and they were very polite about it. Our garage is working now but I need to call them out again because it’s making a grinding, metal-on-metal sound. It was working fine when the tech left, but the next day, it started making this funny noise. But other than that, things are fine. They completed the work quickly and were very professional. And I’m sure as soon as I call them, they’ll come out. I would recommend First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

There was an incident where the electricity didn't work in half of my house. I had a friend that used to own an electric company and so he came over and tried to find the problem. In doing that, he undid some plugs and switches. He couldn't find the problem. He went to leave and he asked me if he should put it back the way it was. I said no because it'll make it easier for the people that come from the home warranty company. So I called First American then and they sent someone. The technician came in and saw the plug and the switches hanging out. He was very rude and he said, "We can't fix those. You've taken them apart." I explained to him that I had a friend come over who couldn't find the problem, and he continued to be rude. All he did was walk around and take pictures of each plug and switch. So I asked him to leave and he did.

Then I called First Warranty and every time I called them, I got somebody that was very hard to understand because of their language. I couldn't get any satisfaction. When I finally got a hold of First American, they told me to put everything back the way it was, take pictures that things were back and send the pictures to them and they would send somebody back again. So I did that and then they were gonna send the same company back. I told them not to send the same technician so they didn't, and it was very helpful. My heater went out at the same time so they sent somebody and that was fixed. I would recommend them to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American's coverage was the best and their price was right. I submitted one claim on a dishwasher and the technician who came out was very good. Everything is working like it should since the repair.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I submit my claims with First American online if it's a simple problem that I know what’s wrong. The technicians have been absolutely wonderful. Everybody they've sent so far has been very informative, very easy to talk to, and they were not curt. Once they’ve really fixed an issue, then they're gone.

In our previous call two years ago, we had an issue with the air conditioner. Something wasn’t working right. We called them and they sent a gentleman out to work on the air conditioner. He ran through it and then told us that he'd check something else. He went over to the breaker box, and he looked at it and said it's not an air conditioner issue. It's our electrical in the box. So he said, "I can't fix it. I'll have to advise them. They’ll send out an electrician." He also said, "The next guy that comes, he's gonna charge you." They didn’t charge me for the service call. Somebody sent out an electrician and he replaced the breaker and it's all peachy. And we paid one service call, which was very awesome. We are very satisfied with that. It was very nice of them to only charge us one service call for totally two different companies. I was very appreciative of that.

I also had a water heater, which wasn’t doing something. They had to replace the water heater, but it turned out we had a leak. It was in the concrete, so that ended up costing a fortune for us. The guy who came out was very nice. They had to cut a little hole in the wall underneath the sink unit but they didn't close it up. When he was trying to drill it into the bathroom section, he must have drilled a hole into the wall. The hole is up at the ceiling line so it's not noticeable but it's still a hole. But other than that, they did a great job. They fixed the water leak and everything is peachy keen.

The only concern is that they did comment that the line going through the ceiling is lying in the trusses over the insulation. And my husband expressed the concern, "Are those lines exposed or they could possibly freeze in the ceiling?" The tech said, “Well, we checked them where we could.” It didn't freeze and pop yet but not that it couldn’t happen in the future. I am not in the position myself to climb up in our ceiling and cover it all. It might be worthwhile to get somebody getting up there and do it to prevent the freezing. Other than that, it's very good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a first-time home buyer and some of my friends advised me to get a home warranty. I was looking on the internet for a couple warranties and insurances and I decided to get First American. So far, everything's okay and there's no problem. I already made a couple of claims and the services were done on time. They did a good and professional job and I don't have any complaints on the technicians. I'm satisfied with their services. I don't regret getting this warranty and insurance and I will keep going with this service in the future.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

There are two different ways to submit a claim with First American. I can do it online where I can write out a little story if I need to, or I can do it over the phone and try to keep it short. There are a lot of prompts to go through but I get through it and sometimes I can get a live person. The ease depends on the type of emergency I have. If it’s something that needs quick attention, I’d prefer to do it on a phone call because the response on the e-mail or online could take a while and somebody might not see it. It’s a big company. I’d rather talk to a live person to get the ball rolling much quicker.

Most of the time, the claims representatives are courteous and able to answer all my questions. When we run into a problem, it usually is for scheduling and follow-up. We schedule and then the availability on the contractor would be another two to three days. There was one time where it took five days and I ended up fixing the problem myself, which I'm still going to maybe put some receipt in for possible reimbursement. The guy I talked to after was very thoughtful and nice with that regard. But as far as emergencies, they usually can have a contractor out within a 12 to 24-hour period. A non-emergency can take a little while. The work performed by the technicians has been really good.

First American's service is good. That’s why I've been with them for five years. I’ve had five years of contracts consecutively with them and not just the basic. They have the standard equal upgrade, first class upgrade, and it definitely helped me in my first year. It worked out when my air conditioning and furnace went out. And every other subsequent time except for a couple of little hiccups on the scheduling, emergencies were taken care of.

I travel and it’s worked for me. If a family member calls me when something breaks, I’ll make a phone call to First American and we’ll go from there and then I let my family know. For the most recent case, the hot water line that was above the water tank busted and it started spilling water into the garage. Luckily, my mother-in-law at that time happened to be doing laundry and she walked into the garage and looked up. I was miles away and my 70-year-old mother-in-law was helping me watch the house and she doesn’t know how to turn off the water when there’s a water leak, so I needed somebody to help. We had a neighbor help us but I needed somebody else to do the work because there’s no way I could be there to do it myself.

The people from First American were able to come within 18 hours, which was at 7:30 the next morning. They got it all fixed up, and everybody in the house was ready to roll again. They’re really responsive especially in emergencies. For the stuff that may not be emergencies, they may take a little bit of time so there’s a little trade-off there. Nonetheless, the people that do the work are doing a decent job. Within the last three months, I made five calls to the home warranty because some things started to pop off in the older house and each one was handled.

I had good luck with FAHW in a previous repair to the ice maker part of the fridge but this time the fridge was not cooling, food and milk were spoiling and tenants were irate. Filed the claim as required. They contacted their contractor and sent him out. So far so good. He shows up with no tools, no documents, no uniform, i.d. and had his own car not company truck. He took a few pictures, said it might be the door sealers (which they replaced a year ago), took down some numbers and left and said he'd be in touch. Neither I nor my property manager ever heard from him again. I sent emails to FAHW every day and said food was spoiling and he wasn't getting back to us. Each time the same answer: "We don't have his report yet so we can't do anything"!

After 3 days of spoiling food, we couldn't wait any longer and had it repaired by an outside contractor who came right away (with tools), deduced the fan needed replacement and fixed it. So I contacted their claims dept and said I wanted a waiver of the fee and a reimbursement of the repairs because I followed their procedures and they didn't deliver. She then read the contractor's report. The entire report was a series of lies. He said there was nothing wrong with the refrigerator! He said he got back to us (lie). He said he went by and we told him it was fixed and we refused service! Lie. So today the lady called me and balked at the reimbursement because "we don't pay for outside contractors". I replied I went through them and their contractor as required and they didn't deliver and lied about it. The jury is still out as she is asking her supervisor about the reimbursement. I gave her my prop mgr number so she could verify with him.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My daughter who is in the plumbing business recommended First American to us. When submitting a claim, I call them by phone and the last experience with them was very good. A plumber from P & R Plumbing came and he worked on the sink and several places in the house. He was very good and the best we've had out. There have been some technicians who have come out and they haven't been that happy to work with. There was one claim where the technician tried to sell us a new heating unit instead of fixing the problem. But overall, I'm very satisfied with First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My sister had First American. We talked about it and I liked the idea, so we went ahead and bought. We had a difficulty with one claim that we had. Our ice maker went out, and there was nobody in our area to fix it. And to me, they totally dropped the ball because they didn't look outside the box. We're 30 miles from one big city and then everything else around us is about our size. But going North a little ways, 60 miles or so, there are other air conditioning people that do things, and we were able to find somebody ourselves about less than 100 miles from here. It took forever to get it settled because we'd gone out and found our own, but we didn't have a choice and we were told to. But that was the only problem I've had with First American.

The techs that were sent to our home have all been pretty good. The last one that I had was when I had a leak in one of my bathroom faucets. The tech came ready and was very professional. He had with him, everything needed to fix the faucet. He didn't have to leave and come back the next day, and I've had experiences like that outside of this company. He handled the job very well and I was very proud of him. First American seems to honor all of what's in our contract.

I have had 2 experiences with FAHW this year. Both were very bad. First in January my heater broke, and I called. It took them 7 days for them to get a contractor out there to fix it. I explained it was the middle of winter and there was a newborn baby in the house, and we needed heat. They did not care and would not escalate the service. Second was in early February. The faucet in the master bath broke. The handle fell off. You would think not a big problem. Well it was for the incompetent contractors they use. After the 3rd contractor came out to fix the faucet and 3 weeks later, they still had not fixed the problem. I sent out a real plumber, the same day I called him, and 30 minutes later the problem was fixed. This company has very long wait times on the phones, unreasonable amount of days to wait for a contractor.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was into real estate for 20 some years and I refer First American to all my clients. So when I bought this home almost 13 years ago, of course, I wanted First American. I've had several claims over the 13 years in this house and I always call in. They've always been very helpful and it's been really great up until this last time we had a plumbing problem. They sent out a gentleman named Jim. It took a while to get him out here. He showed up in an old and beat-up pickup and came in with no tools. He had a wrench and a handful of Allen wrenches and he looked over everything and said he got to get permission to do the work and that it will take a couple of days. I already knew everyone that I ever used before went out to their truck and they would go ahead and call First American, tell them the problem and get authorization. Then, they'd come in and do the work.

But this man wasn't feeling good. I could tell he had a cold. He said he'd been sick and that he'd get back to me within a couple of days. But five days later, I still haven't heard from him. So I called him and I told him I've been waiting to hear from him. He's letting someone hang in the air for five days. I've got a leaky kitchen faucet and I've got to climb under my sink to turn the water on and off. He said he's doing the best he can but if it's not good enough then, I ought to get someone else. So, I called the home warranty company and they sent out a new technician. They came, went through everything and they were very polite and knowledgeable. They didn't have everything on the truck that they need so they went back in two days. They came back a second time, two of them, and they worked for almost three and a half hours. They got everything done and it's working perfectly.

I was really shocked over Jim cause First American has always sent out somebody that's been in the business. The second guy showed up with a plumbing truck and he's got all kinds of parts on his truck. But Jim in this old, rickety pickup with a handful of wrenches. I really was surprised that it was First American sending out this man. He was unprofessional and I did not get a feeling of confidence from him. But I was able to live with it. But if it had been in the middle of the winter and my heat was out, that would have never worked. I don't know how First American lined up the people that they go under contract with but Jim was one of the biggest losers I've ever seen. But everyone else through the years has been great. I forgive you for this one very bad mistake. I hate to complain and I've never had to before. I've always been very satisfied and they've always come back and checked in with me to see if everything went well.

My real estate agent suggested First American when I bought the house. I kept the home warranty because I was afraid that my old air conditioner was going to die and the home warranty was cheaper than replacing it. I usually submit my claims online, they've got an online tool to do it and it's easy. But I've had to do one over the phone just because it was a little bit complicated and I couldn't get the tool to quite work. The quality of work has been a hit or miss, depending on which company they decide to contract out to. The ones they sent for my broken dishwasher and water heater were good, but the ones who came for my central air system have been terrible. I have a request out to get my air conditioner working again from the guy who had fixed my heater. Something got wired up wrong and now my air conditioner doesn't work. The heater is fine, but the air conditioner doesn't work now.

First time buying a house and got this warranty included as part of my contract. I order two services and when they came to my house they weren't able to fix anything and advised me that I don't have to pay anything because they did not do any work. Later I get a letter from the company stating that I have to pay $65 + $65 for each service. I call the company and they told me that I have to pay the fee because they went to my house. However when the guys went to my house they said that I don't have to pay anything and as well that they did not collect the money.

I called so many times to get this resolved and all supervisors are RUDE! Not able to help and hang up on you. I spoke with Thomas extension ** not helpful at all. Did not want to let me speak with his manager and said that he does not care that I'm reporting him because there is nothing he can do to waive the fee. Guys please do not get this warranty! STAY AWAY FROM IT!! It's a scam and every time they go to your house they never fix anything, they just force you to pay the service fee $65. Even though it's free I don't want anything to do with this terrible company! Disgusted.

I submit my claims with First American over the phone and the claims process is good. It's all automated. There's always the same person for the problems that we get, and they've been really good.

So, when one goes to 'Google reviews' and FAHW is rate 1* and one looks at this site and only sees 5*, it should raise questions!!! I have had a horrible experience with fahw. 4 visits - problem still unresolved. Trying to hire an outside contractor who knows the product (a Sub-zero) and get reimbursed. Have been on the phone for 35 minutes. Refrigerator is sitting in the middle of my kitchen waiting to get a call-back! Anyone that does business with this company is out of their mind.

First American Home Warranty Company Profile