3.54/5
Based on 1,291 ratings submitted in the last year
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

04/11/2019

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

04/13/2019

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

5615 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Our ice maker claim was submitted five months ago and the gentleman who came out, Jeff, looked at the unit. He said that it needed to be replaced and that he was going to order it and it was gonna take a couple of weeks. He also asked me to close the call out and in my naiveness, I did. Two weeks later, I got a call from him saying the ice maker was in, so we did a service call agreement. When he was going to come out, he said he was backed up on another call and he needed to open up another four-hour callback time. I couldn't because I do shift-work and I needed to go in to work. We were going to do another callback, but I had to cancel the second time.

The third time, they cancelled on me again and I let it go, but I had somebody move in and we called Jeff back, but he said the call was complete and it wasn't. He asked me what kind of refrigerator I had and then said he'll deliver an ice maker from the warehouse. I live in a gated community and when he came to deliver it, he couldn't get in. I told him he would have to go around the other gate since the police department closed it down and he hung up on me after saying that it would have been nice to know before he drove all the way out. I thought this man was gonna be agitated and put my dog outside, but he was nice when he arrived. He put the ice maker in and said I was gonna have ice in four hours. When he came out, my friend and I watched a movie, came back, and we had no ice.

I called in the next day and got no response. It was the weekend, so I called on Monday and explained I didn't have any ice. Jeff told me to call my homeowner's company again and First American told me that because the call had been so long, I was gonna have to pay to have someone service out again. Jeff agreed that it was too long. One, I should have never closed the call out. Two, I had to convince him he replaced it. He knew the business and he knew exactly what he was doing, but I was willing to work with him to get the issue fixed. He said he would call me back, but he never calls back. He was rude and he hung up on me. My roommate, Jillian, heard him and asked to speak to him. We weren't gonna get far arguing, so I told her to go ahead.

She called Jeff this morning and he was irate with her as well. He said that we, women, do not understand that he was not gonna come out and we do not understand how ice makers work. He said it's been five months and he wasn't coming back out. She explained everything to him and when the call ended, he called her a ** and hung up. She called back wanting to speak to his supervisor and he said he owns the company. Jillian told him that we understood what he was trying to say and asked if he preferred to talk to our male roommate and he hung up on her again.

I was upset that he belittled us. He was irate from the beginning and he was extremely derogatory, demeaning and racist. He was not very professional or respectable. I called First American as soon as I spoke to Jillian and I spoke to a nice lady who apologized and said they were gonna send a different contractor. On a different note, I called for my washing machine recently and it was fixed and resolved through another company. I would recommend First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Margaret. Thank you for the feedback. We will be looking into the situation you have detailed below and appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had First American when I bought my home and kept it. All the reps were very professional. However, when we called in and put in a claim, it seemed like it always showed some company that was not even here in the Palmdale and Lancaster areas. They were always contracting out to somebody that has to come up from the Valley and take an hour and a half ride to get to me. First American was right here in the area so, I had to go back and forth with them. I told them who I wanted and they told me that they may not be available. So then, I tell them that I understand they may not be available, but these are the people that I really want to come in my house.

First American had a company come here from down below and they were not professional and was rude. They did the work but I wasn't that satisfied. So, the next time that I had a situation that encountered that same type of work almost to be done, I told them I didn’t want these people coming back to my house. When I initially bought my home, I knew they were gonna call All American Plumbing. They were right here and not even 20 minutes away from my house. I knew who I was gonna be dealing with and if I needed to drive over there for something, I knew I can drive there to do it. These other people coming in from somewhere else act mad when they get here because they had to drive through all that traffic to get up here in the mountains where I live. We're in Antelope Valley but it's the mountains. So, people have to travel.

I would love for First American to take note and see what companies they have that have their businesses here and who have some availability. Also, you got to wait for the people to call. The rep from First American gave me the telephone number and name of the company which they told me to call if I didn’t hear from them on that day. In some cases, they do. However, in other cases, they will call you through the next day or two days later because of their scheduling.

I gotta be smart and when the rep gives me the number, I would call the contractors after we hang up. I would ask them if they see an order for me. They would check and if they were booked up, they would ask if it would be okay to have somebody the next day which would be fine. First American should let us know what and how many companies they have in the area. Their reps said they didn’t know because everything is computerized. They just put the information in there and it spits out these different companies.

A pipe burst in my laundry room and First American had the plumber come in to fix the problem. However, when it came down to the damage that the water did, I had to use my homeowner's insurance and they had to get in contact with our contractor that came here who got all that stuff out and re-put in all the drywall and stuff in my laundry room and redid it.

My daughter just recently got their plan from First American when they bought their home. I would recommend it because it's a thing that you need. Any homeowner should have something like that because it comes very handy. Going through trying to use your mortgage insurance is crazy. The more you use your mortgage insurance, the more it goes up, every time you file a claim. You gotta give the people $75 to come in and fix and repair or replace whatever the problem is and this is affordable.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Ida for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate it and look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

When I bought the house that I'm living in four years ago, it came with a First American Home Warranty that was paid for one year. When I make a claim, a phone call is easiest. I tell them my problem and they ask for my number, address, or account number. They also ask on when they can send somebody out, and that they will have the people call me and set that up. If I go online, it will take me 20 minutes to get to the right place I need to be. Then, I'll put in the wrong information or push the wrong button, and it'll erase everything.

I moved in on October and 30 days after that, my hot water heater went out on a Wednesday, and Thanksgiving was Thursday. Everybody was off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I called First American and told them about it, and that water was dripping out of it going down the drain, that it was not lit anymore, and it was leaking. They said that they would send somebody out, and they'd call me and set up a time that's good for me. They did that and they replaced the hot water heater including the little backflow thing that goes with it. It was $1,300 but they didn't bat an eye.

About a year later, my washing machine went out. I tried a different company because that company was cheaper. They said they'd send me $125 towards the purchase of a new one. I told them that the last company I had either fix or replace it and not give me $125 toward a new one. I got rid of them and I came back to First American. First American sent a repairman out here and he couldn't fix it. He said that the threads were shot on the drain thing and I gotta have a whole new basket and a rotary thing. It came up to be more money than buying a new machine so First American sent me an email saying to pick out a washing machine that I'd like. They gave me about nine choices and what they recommended wasn't the cheapest, but it was the biggest. It was good for a good-sized family so they delivered that, hauled away the old one, and set the new one up. How could I go wrong?

The last thing was a refrigerator that was leaking water out from underneath it and coming out in the front, and it was starting to warp my wooden floor. They sent a guy out from Sears and the guy said that sometimes those tubes get frozen, and when they do, the water backs up and ends up going up underneath the fridge. He aired it out with a heater thing, cleaned it all up and fixed it. It worked fine ever since.

I've had a lot of help from First American. I brag about them all the time 'cause they save me a ton of money. And with $66 a month, in 10 months, that's $660. That's not even half of what the hot water heater costs. I have gained more than I've spent with the hot water heater, the washing machine, and fixing the refrigerator. I got an outside freezer an outside central air conditioning, a central heat, forced-air heating that is down in the basement area, and all the other appliance in the house that are covered by them. If one of those goes out, then I've got to really make out 'cause those are expensive to replace. Just like the advertisement says, "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when." I'm totally satisfied with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Bob for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear about your experiences with our company. We look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Our coverage with First American is going on four years now and up until about seven months ago, I was very pleased. An incident happened when we had a backup in one of the drain lines and we had to call out a plumber. The first time Zeus Plumbing came out was a year and a half ago. The guy put on a little rubber and called it a balloon. They stuck it into the line and turned the water on. It was supposed to handle the blockage. They opened it last time. But every six to eight months, the line would back up again and we'd have to call somebody else.

This last time, I wanted the contractor to look in the camera to find out because it seemed to be a recurring problem. So they put a camera in there, took a look and told my wife that it was really bad. We told them to go ahead and do the power jet thing for $350 to make sure it gets unclogged. It was some grease from the previous owners. But after it was all said and done, we had another plumber, who was recommended by First American, come out. They tried fixing the stoppage and then they told my wife they had to look at something else because there might be something else messed up in the line.

When the guy from Zeus Plumbing came back, he told my wife it was gonna be $19,000 to fix it. My wife told me and when I asked what he was doing, she said that he was gonna double check. 20 minutes later, he came back and told my wife it was gonna be $29,000 to fix this. His company called about three days later, wanting to know when they could come out and start doing the work for the $29,000. But I told them not to bother. I had some friends who were plumbers and I got somebody else to take a look at the line. He said that the contractor was trying to put one on us. The contractor had lied to my wife.

In the end, we had to pay $350 because Zeus Plumbing lied to First American. They said that they unclogged the line at 35 feet and that it was clean and cleared, but we insisted on them running the power jet thing. That was why they were charging $350. But the clog wasn't cleared and we didn’t request it. It was just a mess. I talked to the lady who handled the claim and told them that the contractor lied. I told First American to call Zeus Plumbing but of course, they said they did exactly what they said. So I was unhappy about that. It was a very bad experience and I told First American not to call Zeus Plumbing out here to my house ever again.

I also started reading my warranty. Zeus Plumbing only went 35 feet and the warranty said they could go up to 75. And after 75 feet, First American would have incurred the cost of using that machine to unclog it. This was mishandled. Some of the contractors that First American hired are not real good, and that’s one thing they might wanna check. They once sent somebody out to work on our air conditioning but the guy just stood outside. When he came back, he said our compressor was bad. He didn’t even do anything though. I was watching him.

So I called some people that I knew and they went out there. The guy was inside and outside for about four hours and he charged us like $148. There was totally nothing wrong with the compressor. All the contractor was trying to do was get a new compressor. So he was probably just going to leave the old compressor in, keep the new compressor, bill First American and then bill us. On the other hand, First American had replaced a dishwasher and done other work. They sent electricians out a couple of times before and everything was good. First American has been really good. As a matter of fact, I've recommended them to a coworker who just bought a home and he got the warranty through them.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jimmy. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to servicing your next claim!

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've got First American Home Warranty on one of my properties in Las Vegas and year over year, they worked out mathematically and it's usually efficient. I have looked at changing. I've evaluated and everything else was close enough. But it was easier to stay with the company so I stayed with the same company. I've called in for a number of claims and I've given them the property address, pulled up every contract number and First American has been supportive. They told me who was going to call me back the next day. For a warranty process, it's the least hassle thing I've ever dealt with. My most recent claim was for a plumbing situation for clogged drains. It's a rental house and for me not to have to deal with anything, it's super easy. When I put in the claim, they ended up referring me and that person came out and handled everything. The last technician I had was wonderful.

But one time, I had to place a service claim for a plumbing issue and there was a miscommunication. So, the contractors came out but they wouldn't take care of the problem because they claimed that they had to have some other subcontractor come out and inspect. It was a leaky toilet on the second floor and they're worried about mold. And so, they gave me a reference. I called and had the mold people come out who told me there was no problem. They checked the moisture and it was no big deal. Without First American's interaction, I called back that technician and told them the problem with the mold problem is fixed.

I was out of town, but a subcontractor doing other work in the house let them back in. But the technician refused to fix the toilet 'cause he claimed that it was still a problem with the moisture inspection. I got on the phone with the guy and I told him I called his exact guy but the technician still wouldn't fix it. So, my subcontractor ended up fixing the toilet. It was the wax ring at the base of the toilet which needed to be replaced so it was no big deal. First American sent me the bill for the $70 service fee. I called them up and explained to them the entire situation plus the fact that I had to pay my subcontractor. The rep that I had talked to told me they'll take care of it and dropped the call. But I got another bill three months later saying my account is delinquent and they're going to turn me over to collections if I don't pay it. And this was also in between switching contractors from year to year which was also the other weird part.

My account has gone to one of those intermediary collection people who were threatening so I finally called First American. We had to go back and forth and they told me I needed to submit paperwork about my guys fixing the toilet because their technician said another thing. I told them I should be the customer in this situation and they should deal with the technician and not me. I have also submitted the paperwork. I had to call a third time before they finally dealt with it and took off the service fee.

It was uncomfortable but I still ended up renewing with them because it was easier than switching. Also, Old Republic was not taking on new clients at that time and this was right at the break period. Plus, I had somebody else moving in. Old Republic got an exception to be able to bring me on but by then, it took long enough. My experience with First American has been good but it wasn't flawless. Overall, I'm happy and it's been a smart investment. It has worked out to my advantage and now that it's turned into a rental property, it's a saving grace.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: May 18, 2019

This company has the worst customer service and contractors. I have had them send out multiple contractors to fix 1 issue due to other contractors not having proper tools/gear or no show. You also tell them exactly what the issue is and what is needed to be done and they will send out a company that is unable to perform the work and refers you to use another company and yet you're expected to still pay your deductible for First American sending out a company that didn't do anything. Do not hire this company. Look the company up. They are a 1 star rated company. The issues are all the same. Delay in getting things fixed, poor contractors, no show.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We purchased an older home in 4/2018. The following December, the heat went out. My realtor recommended I call First American. They provided a name of a local company to repair the heating system. I called the company and was told he would not be able to come by for four days. It was the middle of winter and we were freezing. According to First American their chosen contractor must respond in 48 hours; however, this contractor says he was unavailable that quickly. I found a different contractor to fix the heater. After I located the new contractor I canceled my appointment with the First American contractor and explained why. I then received a copayment bill from First American for their contractor.

I called and explained the situation. First American never contacted me again about this issue until they put on collection for 75 dollars. I called again and sent them a copy of the check I gave to the contractor. They say despite that that I still owe them the 75 dollars! I have never dealt with a company that was so immoral. The issue clearly not the 75 dollars, it’s their questionable business and how manipulative they are. I suspect what they are doing is unlawful. I wonder how you can put someone in collection when they don’t owe you anything?

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Sara. We appreciate your feedback and are aware of your concerns. At this time, we are aware that your concerns have been addressed and your claim has been closed. Thanks,

Original review: May 17, 2019

No A/C after 4 weeks. This would be "zero" stars, if possible. Filed a claim on April 23, 2019, for a broken A/C unit; no cold air. Contractor came out the 24th. Determined broken wire. Second service call didn't occur until May 7th. They fixed the wire but determined the TXV valve was bad. It's May 16th, and there has been no contact from anyone. Just about ready to contact my pre-paid legal service. Fix it, FAHW, or you will be talking with my legal service!!!! I'm done being nice!!! Don't bother saying, "We'll contact you." Just get it done!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

This is by far the WORST company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I had a NEWBORN in the house and it took them almost a week to send someone out to check the AC unit when it was frigid outside. The first company came out, looked at the issue and never returned to fix the problem without calling or letting us know. First American “apologized” and sent another company. This company “fixed it” and 2 months later I was calling back AGAIN for the AC to be looked at. The serviceman came out and said it was my thermostat to call our home security company and that they should be able to fix it - and I still got charged for them to step foot in my house for 5 minutes and tell me someone else needed to do the job.

Then 2 months later... the AC went out again. It took 3 weeks in the Texas summer to have our AC replaced because the company I was given decided to cancel our appointment TWICE without so much as a call. I had a 6 month old baby!!! First American and its affiliate contractors have no regard for people or customer service!! They hire companies with 1 star rating that care nothing about quality of work or human decency. Here I am 2 weeks out from this contract from hell to be over with so I can begin service with my new home warranty company to kick in and my refrigerator goes out. I am on day 6 without a refrigerator because this company decides they don’t need to call customers to give updates nor call back when messages are left. DO NOT waste your precious TIME and MONEY on the worst possible service you could ever NOT receive. Please take heed. You will truly be sorry!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have had 2 issues since we bought our home and the home warranty never helped when I feel they should have. We had a continuous water leak that has caused our water bill to be much more expensive. They have one contractor in area and never showed up after 3 appointments and then told me to find my own and they might reimburse me. 2nd time, my sink is undermount in our kitchen, they send a plumber out (which why did they sent a plumber/should have been a GC) and then say they dont cover a kitchen sink seal, my sink is in my cabinet after plumber detached it, detached my plumbing and garbage disposal and plumber says they wont even do this kind of repair. So frustrating and a complete waste of money. I had Fidelity Warranty before and they had more contractors and were very flexible.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We had a terrible experience with First American Home Warranty. We initiated a service request on May 16, 2018 because our AC was not working. It was incredibly hot in our house as we live in Atlanta so we needed it fixed promptly. The issue was that water was collecting in our emergency pan and then shutting off the AC to prevent flooding, but we didn't know the actual source of the problem. The first contractor assigned to us never responded to our calls, and he didn't respond to First American's calls either. We are not sure to this day if this contractor exists.

We called First American again and asked if we could hire our own local person and get reimbursed because we live in Atlanta and have a baby who was struggling to sleep in the heat and this was becoming an urgent problem with no AC. First American said, "No you have to go through one of our contractors." So we thought, "Okay but please take care of it ASAP." We had to go to Home Depot and buy our own siphoning equipment to keep our air running in the meantime.

The second contractor they assigned was shockingly incompetent. He told us a pipe was clogged (not correct), said "did you hear that?" (No we didn't hear anything) "I unclogged the pipe!" (It's not clogged), Used a Panera cup (yes, this was his professional equipment) to dump water out of our attic because he didn't even have basic siphoning tubing, broke our light bulb in the attic and left the stem of the light bulb in with shards of glass sticking out and didn't fix it (we couldn't just pull it out), and left our house saying he fixed the problem.

Of course, he hadn't fixed the problem at all. If anything he had made it worse. So we called First American again and asked for another contractor. They said they could only do that after talking with Contractor #2 and seeing the report he submitted (which per them is supposed to be submitted within 48 hours). Then, surprise surprise, they couldn't reach him and a week later he still hadn't submitted his report (it's unclear whether he ever did). It took them a week to finally say, "Okay we'll assign you someone else."

By this time you'd think they would just agree to reimburse us to have someone trustworthy fix it, but they refused. Their customer service agents (including supervisors) were robots, always saying "I understand ma'am but there is nothing we can do. You must use our contractors because we have contractors who can fix the problem." This was a very frustrating assertion when they clearly DON'T have contractors who can fix the problem. They "escalated" our claim and assigned us a personal representative who never called us back when she was supposed to and never followed up. But, they did finally assign us a third contractor.

So, our third contractor came out. He was a little better, at least we thought at first. He at least didn't use any paper Panera cups. He said he had to order a part. A couple weeks later we had to follow up because we hadn't heard anything. (In the meantime, keep in mind we are daily siphoning water ourselves from our attic to keep our AC running.) Finally Contractor #3 gets back to us and says, "Okay we'll come Saturday between 1pm and 5pm but oh by the way, we had to order two of these parts (wrong - once we PAID someone competent we learned this wasn't even correct) and that will be an extra $85 that's not covered by the warranty." How is it not covered by a warranty that cost $600 for the year?? Regardless, we end up sitting at home on Saturday, waiting for this guy to come.

We get a call right before 5 saying his truck broke down but he will "try" to call us Monday to reschedule. We haven't heard from him since. So ultimately we decided that we would rather pay our own person than have one of these joker warranty contractors come out and probably just mess up our AC even more or take months to even deal with it. I guess this is a victory for First American Home Warranty because they got their $600 and we still had to pay for our AC to be fixed. We hired someone great on our own on June 25 meaning we had waited for this terrible warranty company for almost six weeks before we gave up. He fixed the problem in two days and didn't have to order those "extra parts."

The most ridiculous part is, we then get a voicemail from First American saying, "We are so glad your AC has been fixed by our contractor. We are sorry you had to pay the extra $85. Now your case is closed. Thank you for choosing First American Home Warranty." Their contractor never even came back to our house! How did they think this is what happened, and did this guy get paid for not even coming to our home? There are so many scams going on here I don't even know who's scamming who! The bottom line is - this has been an absolutely horrible experience and I can safely say this is probably the worst company I've ever had to deal with. They recently called us asking if we wanted to renew - and that was the easiest decision I ever made.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Updated on 05/16/2019: This is an update to our May 14, 2019 review. Water leaking for 10 consecutive days as of 5/15. After multiple requests and seven days later, we finally received approval from FAHW late afternoon on 5/14 to hire our own contractor to diagnose the issue. FAHW gave us a pre-authorized limit of $125 to alleviate the situation. FAHW also advised that our contractor must call if additional funds were needed to complete the repair or replacement. This was a joke since we were not willing to go another day with water leaking in our wall.

The last two plumbing contractors FAHW dispatched did not even attempt to find the problem. Instead, they both reported to FAHW that the water heater needed to be removed in order to fix the problem, which was not the case. The contractor we hired fixed the problem on 5/15 without have to remove the water heater. We are hopeful that FAHW will reimburse us the full amount of $300 since this problem could have been fixed days ago had either one of their plumbers attempted to find and fix the issue.

Original review: We have had a water leak in our wall since May 6, 2019. First American Home Warranty sent out two plumbing contractors who did not have the manpower to fix the problem. When we first reported the problem to First American Home Warranty on May 6, there was no black mold appearing on the wall. As of May 10, we now have black mold appearing on the wall. First American Home Warranty is telling us that we need to remove the black mold before they can send out a different contractor to fix the problem.

Water leaking in wall since May 6 caused the black mold to appear. If First American Home Warranty had dispatched a contractor with appropriate manpower or honored my request to hire my own contractor on May 8 and reimbursed us for the repair, there would be no black mold issue. As of May 14, water is still leaking in our wall. Online update as of May 14 states that they are trying to locate a contractor. This level is customer service is unacceptable.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

It's been almost a month and I am still without a dryer. I was stood up twice by the contractor who confirmed my appointment twice and never showed up or called to cancel. I was scheduled a last min Sat appointment which I cancelled my plans to be home so that the contractor can come and and diagnose the issue. I paid my deductible and was told the contractor needed to order the part. The contractor ordered the part and scheduled another appointment and confirmed it and again did not show up or call to cancel.

I was treated by First American as if the contractor was the paying customer. They tried to give me appointments that was convenient for the contractor and based on their available (the same contractor who was a no call no show). Customer Service gave me the runaround stating they would call me back once they found out what happened with the contractor and in the end I was the one calling them to follow up. First American continued to push the contractor to come out to my house. I have been with First American for almost 10 years. I barely file claims and when I did file the couple over the past two years it's been a nightmare however this last one did it for me. The customer service has declined poorly compared to when I picked them up in 2010 and some of the contractors are bad for business.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 11, 2019

We had First American Home Warranty with our home purchase. Our A/C was out for three days while we kept waiting for them to fix it. Their A/C guy added Freon to it since it was very low due to a leak. Did he fix the leak? No, because First American would not let him. Then our A/C stopped working again and the one guy they assigned it to fix (same person as before) was busy so we had to wait several day and it was 98 degrees in our house with high humidity.

The repairman didn't put in our request until after close of business (6 hours later than when he visited us). The repairman offered to fix it for $5,500 on the side. We were worried about the wood warping in our house and mold and couldn't wait over the weekend since it had already been 5 days. So we called three others A/C repairman to get quotes and paid out of pocket. It was finished within 36 hours at around $3,200. First American reimbursed us only $200. We did not renew. If you do not want cheap fixes to your house (one of your biggest investments), go elsewhere!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

If I could give a 0 rating I would. This was the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with in my life. Never use them!!!! They give you the runaround, different information every time you call and lie to you. Now I have been without AC in the summer as a disabled veteran and also have a large dog that pants and is having trouble breathing due to the heat. Nine days into the claim, I have to start the process all over again and get another contractor to come out in 6 more days to look at my AC because they did not like the quote of the previous contactor. I have never heard from my claims person and have to spend almost 2 hours a day on the phone trying to get information.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Sprayer nozzle kitchen sink broken and leaking. Not covered. Are you kidding! Also my electric dryer in my rental quit drying. Obviously. A heater coil. The warranty technician moved the hose around and closed the request. Dryer still not working. I have 3 active First American warranty. I will cancel all.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have several rental properties which all have First American Home Warranty policies. The issues never get resolved in a timely manner. My tenants cannot wait 60+ days to get their A/C or refrigerator fixed. These policies were a waste of money. They don't pay the technicians enough to care about the job. I'm never going to use First American again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I can't stress enough what a scam and rip off FAHW is. We purchased a house in October 2018. To date, we have had to contact this company on four different occasions. Two were for the same furnace and all four times the claim was denied. Even after I was told they would cover the item. Once they found out the cost, they changed their story and claimed it was a pre-existing condition. They'll wear you down and stall. Put you on hold for 15-20 minutes. Come back on the phone and mention something that has NOTHING to do with your claim, then once you explain that's not the right claim, back on hold again. It boggles my mind that no bureau has shut this company down. Any positive remarks you read are from their employees and spouses. You've been warned. Realtors you are doing a disservice to your clients (buyer and seller) if you offer a warranty from this company.

Original review: May 7, 2019

First American service has been atrocious and unacceptable contract in every aspect of this claim, which was a PLUMBING EMERGENCY. They did not assign the claim, return my calls, or respond to my complaints in a timely fashion repeatedly over FOUR DAYS. There was a failure of the claim representative, the dispatcher, the contractor, and the claims "service" department in each case when I contacted them. When I called, my house was being flooded by a leaking washer hose, and the rep was not able to schedule emergency service nor even advise me about how to cope. He promised someone would come in "3-5 hours," but instead that meant the dispatcher would call in that time. When they didn't call and I called back, finally the dispatcher called that evening to say they "couldn't find a contractor in my area." He promised to call back the next morning and didn't.

When I called back it was the weekend and the service department was closed. Finally I saw online I had been assigned a contractor on SUNDAY (for an emergency claim filed Friday). So I waited patiently for a call on Monday, and when the contractor didn't call as the website instructed I tried to contact them. They first didn't answer and their voicemail was full, then later I could leave a message, but they didn't return my call. Finally at the end of the day MONDAY I reached out to the service desk, and first they said they would go back to the dispatcher and reassign the claim for "later this week." When I protested, they finally said they would contact the contractor directly (as they were supposed to do) and responded that the contractor could come WEDNESDAY morning...a time I could not be present, because I have a job. The company's system is a fail!

Hello Alison,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2019

DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY HERE. Not only are the customer service employees incompetent, ALL of their contractors are incompetent. They take your monthly dues and your $75 claim fee - and they fix nothing. I spent 5 days without showers or toilets. I spoke to 4 different employees - 3 times I was promised a follow up phone call within 24 hours - never did I get 1. NO TOILETS OR SHOWERS FOR 5 DAYS.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

Updated on 05/09/2019: These guys again promised publicly to call and GUESS WHAT? NO PHONE CALL!! They notified ConsumerAffairs we have resolved dispute. No way, not even close! By The way they are on their 4th visit to fix my fridge and it still don't work. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I dare you to publicly answer instead of your private chats so people think you fixed or did something for your customer. I am sure they will offer me a small stipend to replace my quality fridge for a "similar", cheaper, not the same brand, "whatever is in our warehouse" to save money guarantee.

Original Review: These guys are a joke of a company. They lie and lie all the time, they do not call you back even after numerous promises to do so, even by a supervisor (which I was told by phone that supervisors do not make phone calls. Only take call transferred by an employee). THEY scheduled techs to come out at their convenience and even had a total stranger show up to your house, no concerns or cares that I work nights. They do not cover your appliances like they say, and even want to charge $75 per appliance when it is not necessary to do so. They will ask what brand you have because they need to send an EXPERT, which any expert can fix most appliances, but it gets better!!!!

When they can't fix your appliance you get a "Similar functional appliance", and not the same brand!!! So much for keeping your appliances the same brand!!! Even when they have to replace beware, they do not replace your same appliance and brand. I had a Whirlpool oven/range ($700 value on sale). They offered me $513 to cover a NEW range, or take cheap quality instead. Which in their eyes is OK because you're getting a similar appliance, even though cheaper in quality. I have had to make over 4 phone calls for my fridge and the same for electrical problems and start from scratch as employees never put work order. Hilarious that all calls are recorded but no one knows why order not put in 2x. Nor can they seem to listen to previous phone calls or read account noted from previous calls. Save your money and time and go elsewhere as these guys do not care one bit for their customers.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Richard. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We will have a representative reach out to you to discuss. Also, our records indicate that you have an appointment scheduled for today to diagnose your kitchen refrigerator. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Our home came with a premier plan to include Septic when we purchased. Our heat went down in December, it was under 20 degrees at night and low 20's during the day. 4-5 calls later and 4 days later, we got our heat fixed. It was exhausting and and frustrating. I have health conditions, this call was marked as "URGENT" per the claims agents. I told the tech that we had no airflow in our upstairs and he didn't do anything about it. I have a fireplace upstairs, so it was fine. Now it is May and 90 degrees outside, my A/C doesn't work upstairs. No airflow. 94 inside my home. I not only have to pay the deductible again, but I can't get anyone out until Monday.

I called Thursday before 10 am. My body doesn't regulate temperature, I have Reynaud's and Sjogren's. I can't be too cold because I get cold anyway and have broken my ankle due to losing feeling. I also don't sweat, and am prone to heat stroke. None of the agents seem to feel this is urgent and one told me, they just don't have many companies to work with. Well...that is a problem in itself!

While on the phone making my claim, I asked about renewal since my warranty ends next week. The price was $300 more than what it was originally. I checked around and found there are a lot of cons to this company and more consumer complaints than others. I found Select Home warranties, they called me immediately, gave me a veteran discount, provide better coverage with higher limits and were 1/2 the price. They provide same day emergency service or let you choose your own company and they reimburse.

First American said they may not reimburse if I choose my own company. They have to approve it. I just paid $2100 for a 6 year warranty with no cancellation fees and refund of unused portion should I not be happy with the service. That right there is a testament to their value. I also have a $45 service fee instead of the $95 per call I pay for First American. First American is AWFUL. They don't have the resources they need to provide technicians, no emergency service, bad customer service, and more expensive for less coverage. I am currently hot, cranky and I don't feel well. Goodbye First American.

Hi Heather,

Our records indicate that Charbonneau Refrigeration reported that the contactors and pressure switch located in the condenser has loose connections that have since been repaired.

Also, the ductwork located in the attic are cutting the air flow due to being too long. The ductwork would have to be replaced. Per your home warranty contract, improperly sized ductwork is not covered. Please refer to the contract, under Ductwork, Not Covered. Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I used this company for 12 years for two properties. For first nine years, this company was very reliable and good. In last three years this company has become a rip off. They do not provide prompt or good service. They send technicians to look at each problem and collect their call out fee of $75 without performing a service. They must report back to company to verify if it is covered then set up another appointment to do actual work. This process is long, drawn out and at times I never heard from technician again once he got my money. So glad I have finally left this company. I kept waiting for things to go back to way it used to be but instead has progressively gotten worse.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I've had a home warranty before, and I liked the way First American looked. I've heard about them through a friend and then I chose them because the other provider I had would not pay and stick up to their rules. I even got my son signed up with the other provider and then they would not do what they were supposed to do when he had problems. So, I dropped them and took up First American. Submitting a claim is very easy and I'm still with First American because they send quality workers out. Everything has been great so far.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Klyce for your review, we appreciate it!

Original review: May 1, 2019

We have First American for 9 years now. They do good work and they seem to get good people to take care of your issues. Their timeframe on claims and the ease of submitting one has gotten better over the years. The technicians I’ve worked with get back to me within the allowed time, which in many cases is one to two days and usually are ahead of that. I recently had a leaky toilet and NW Sundance Services came out for that. It started leaking again a little bit later and I just tightened it a little bit, seemed to stop it, then it started leaking again. So, I called and asked for somebody else that knew what they were doing. I had to pay the extra 70. The next company that they sent out did a fine job and the gentleman said it looked like the other company forgot to put something. So, I’ve not had any trouble since.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Chuck for your feedback and for choosing First American.

Original review: April 30, 2019

After giving my "OK" to take on the MANY uncovered costs, First American waited 12 days to relay that information to the contractor. So here we are - late spring in Oklahoma - with no air conditioning unit. I called today for an explanation/compensation for the time wasted and had ZERO help. The first man to take my call was rude but forwarded me onto his supervisor - Eli **. Eli refused to give me anything other than his supervisor's first name (George). Evidently George is too important to be bothered. So, after 6 years of paying approx 45 dollars a month, my money spent and customer service isn't worth talking to the higher ups. Ditching this as soon as my A/C is EVENTUALLY repaired. I'll be paying nearly $3,300 out of pocket, btw. They don't cover any modifications, so God forbid you have an older home...

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Tiffany. We thank you for your feedback. At this time, the equipment has been ordered. Once received, the contractor will be contacting you to schedule an appointment for completion.

Original review: April 30, 2019

We signed up for First American five years ago when we first got our house and we had it for about two years. But every time I put in a claim, they would say that they don't cover that. It was like they cover electrical but not lighting or the outlet. But where else would electrical be if not the outlets? So I kinda got tired of them not dealing with anything I submit, and I let it go for a couple of years. But when I got my tax refund this year, I decided to restart the warranty.

If you have any issues, the warranty is not too bad for the price. It's $62.50 a month for me. It's funny because I asked the rep to go ahead and take out all of the money all at once. Instead, she just took out $62.50, and I didn't realize it until after a month. I still have an extra $650 in my account. I'm just paying a monthly fee and I asked to have it all taken care of with my tax refund money that I had in my bank.

We had a claim last week for a plumbing issue. My plumbing got backed up. One night, we heard a loud wobbling noise, and the toilet started having trouble flushing like it was stocked up. Also, it started leaking around the bottom. It was at 10 o'clock that night when I submitted the claim, and the contractor was out there the next afternoon. That was the first time we ever had a plumbing issue, and apparently, they were able to fix it outside. They said there was a port that they were able to access outside to unclog it. First American's warranty is worth it.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jeremy. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate it and look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Our A/C went out during the night on 4.13.19. Placed a claim the following day, 1st time we've ever made a claim. The first contractor called 3 days later at 3pm and said they could be at my house in 10 minutes. I work further than 10 min from my home so I asked if I could meet them there at 4pm, "no we can't hold the tech up that long and not sure when we'll be back in your region". First of all, this appt was never made so to call someone and say we can be there in 10 min and then get upset like I did something wrong because I turned down being there because I don't fly a jet plane and can't make it there in that short of time.

Secondly, "my region", why would they contract someone that's 5 hours from my home when I live in a city of 90k and there are HVAC companies all over. That was Tues, she said ahead have to check availability and call me back, by Friday I had not heard from her and no answer on the number that I was called on. I called FA, to be told it's been routed to a company so had to wait for their availability. So I wait, Friday morning I call FA to say "Hey we are now 6 days down and no call/appt nothing and we are going into the weekend, I need service!".

They send out another company, this guy shows up with a helper, spends 10 min in my house, says "Yep your motherboard is fried. Need a new inside unit" proceeds to tell me that it's highly recommended to change both the inside and outside unit at the same time and that he could order the outside unit today and install it all at one time, my response was "but you just said it was my inside unit and the outside was fine so I'm sure home warranty won't pay for the outside". "Oh no maam. The outside will be at your expense but I can get you one for $4200". "Um no. If I could afford to pay you $4200 to replace something that isn't broke I wouldn't be paying for a home warranty".

So after I finally tell him no I'm buying anything above what my warranty is going to cover and what's broken he sends his helper in to look at the inside unit, the tech proceeds to walk around my front yard in circles talking on his phone "what sounded like a personal call", smoking cig and throwing his butts on my lawn for 45 MIN! So I finally go out and interrupt him to say, "Are ya done with this appt, if so you can smoke in your van because for the last 25 mins of your phone call me and your helper was inside making small talk waiting for you to wrap your call up." They leave, he calls again that evening asking if he could put me on a payment plan for the outside unit would I be interested in having it, "No I don't need a payment plan, no I don't need/want you to come take my functioning outside unit and replace it for a new one!"

I call Monday to check the status of the ordered new unit, he states he's waiting on the part. I place a call to the warranty co, at this point we are a week and 2 days with no A/C,(for the people that don't live here, 11 months out of the year is a/c weather). The warranty company says the parts been ordered, waiting for contractor to pick it up. I also make a complaint about their hired tech approaching me like a used car salesman trying to cram an outside unit down my throat and the poor customer service while he was at my home. They didn't seem to care about that.

So the tech calls at 6 pm on Tues saying he could be at my house in 30 min to install, my 1st question is how long is this going to take? His response 3-4 hours, so you are saying you want me let you install my inside a/c on a Tues night at 630 and could potentially be inside my home until 10pm. No, pretty sure my husband won't go for that being that he gets up at 3 am for work not to mention this doesn't even sound like real life at this point.

Well I don't have anything again until Sunday afternoon. Um ok I guess I'll take it at this point my warranty co has paid for the unit, you have picked it up and they are telling they won't send another company out to me. As odd as it sounds to have an a/c man installing at my home on Sunday afternoon it's better than during the week at night. "Oh and by the way it's going to be $350 not the $200 previous quote" my response was, "But you and the warranty company told me last week $200 so how has it nearly doubled?" His reply is "there are other things that needs to be done that your policy doesn't cover".

So called FA back, yes he submitted for more work and we don't cover that. So my question now is how did he submit for work, get approved and parts ordered and he's called in for more approval but hasn't been back to my house, I could see if he was in the middle of the install and came across something. He's now adding things because I won't buy the outside unit! FA only response was "Sorry maam but he's the professional and we go by his request". So Sunday comes, I call at 1 pm to see the status of my appt, he answers and his response "Oh Mrs. ** I've been meaning to call you today, we had to go out of town yesterday for an install and didn't get home until late last night and my guys are worn out, we aren't going to be able to make it".

So at this point I'm near boiling temps, I've gotten the runaround and no help from my home warranty, I've had to do all of the leg work to get this done and now he can't be here! I'm no longer a priority because he couldn't sell me a new outside unit! So after complaining to him about this whole disaster he says "let me see if I can't round up some help and get out there, I'll call you within an hour"...

430 PM and no return call so I call FA back talk to another supervisor. The supervisor reaches out to the tech, no answer. So I'm told by 1st American he's going to document all of this but unfortunately the tech already has the equip and was assigned to the job so I'm at the mercy of the contractor. So now it's Monday no install appt yet.

Moral of story First American Home Warranty contracts low grade companies for repairs and leaves you to do all of the communicating and when you don't feel you are getting proper treatment from a company that you've trusted your insurance to hire you are told "Sorry. Nothing we can do at this point". This morning I called another a/c company to see how much it would cost for a new indoor/outdoor unit $4200, new indoor unit $1200. So for what we are spending for this home warranty, the out of pocket $350, $75 service call and $500 portable a/c unit from Best Buy last week (because I came in after work to it 84° inside and my dogs overheated) I could have spent a little extra and had a/c weeks ago and a lot less headache. Can't wait for my contract to be over!

Original review: April 29, 2019

Some friends recommended First American Home Warranty to us. We used them for 6 years and they did a great job. Then they got spotty, sometimes refusing to cover a repair that is clearly covered. Now they are really really bad. I have two houses on First American. Three summers ago, I went two months, yes two months with a broken a/c unit waiting for them to repair it. I didn't tell them that I have two units and live in the part of the house with the working unit. I dug my heels in and said I'm not paying a third company to fix the broken unit. I was very nice to them and called every week or so begging them to fix the broken unit. I finally broke down and paid another company #200 who fixed it the next day. I'm sure that's what they wanted.

Then when my friend's a/c went out recently, First American told them their account was cancelled and they wouldn't fix the unit. The excuse was too many claims. But, I looked over their claims and they looked normal to me. Not excessive. First American didn't wait until the contract was over, they just cancelled my friend's when they needed a repair.

Then my a/c unit went out a month ago and they claimed the repairman said it was all mangled on the inside, someone rewired it and put in parts that didn't belong. They refused to fix it. I called another repair company who said they were lying. The a/c unit had a broken part but was not mangled in any way. I've paid over $600 for my own repairs and am cancelling First American.

They have made a few decent repairs. The repair company came out and pushed us hard to pay out of pocket for useless heater cleanings. Another pushed dishwasher cleaner fluid monthly at $50 a bottle. But the repairs got done. Don't ever buy extras out of pocket for additional work. If you want a company to not do repairs or dump you when you need them call First American.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 29, 2019

Initially, First American was fine. We had a few bad experiences and right now, they're doing well. But I need them to do well for a long period of time. Back in November, we had an issue where something was going on with the sprayer leaking, and the plumbers that were sent out needed to order a part. It took them almost a month to order the part. In the meantime, we got a big leak going on. It caused a lot of damage to our subfloor and First American was not gonna cover any damages that occur because of something that happened. However, that damage wasn’t there until the leak occurred. We could’ve avoided that damage if the contractor had come and fixed the problem but then they left us hanging for a month. After that, we hired somebody else to fix the problem. First American reimbursed us for the contractor who we called in. But they did not reimburse us for the entire replacement of the subfloor. So, that was a huge issue.

Another issue with plumbing that we had before was that our hall toilet wouldn't flush. We called a plumber out. It was the same company that came out on both plumbing issues. The plumber said they couldn't do anything about it because it was possible that there was a toy stuck in it. My husband had to bend down and try to figure out how to fix it himself after that. We also had to buy a part.

We also had a small issue with our kitchen sink a couple of weeks ago. I requested a different plumbing company because I did not want the same company coming back out again. First American sent out a different plumber and he was very respectful, courteous and cleaned up his mess. He came out and fixed the problem right away.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Khadijah. Thank you for your feedback. We value and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your review.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
Septic tank system $500
*Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
  2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
  3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information