3.32/5
Based on 1,318 ratings submitted in the last year
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

04/11/2019

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

04/13/2019

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

5889 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Our ice maker claim was submitted five months ago and the gentleman who came out, Jeff, looked at the unit. He said that it needed to be replaced and that he was going to order it and it was gonna take a couple of weeks. He also asked me to close the call out and in my naiveness, I did. Two weeks later, I got a call from him saying the ice maker was in, so we did a service call agreement. When he was going to come out, he said he was backed up on another call and he needed to open up another four-hour callback time. I couldn't because I do shift-work and I needed to go in to work. We were going to do another callback, but I had to cancel the second time.

The third time, they cancelled on me again and I let it go, but I had somebody move in and we called Jeff back, but he said the call was complete and it wasn't. He asked me what kind of refrigerator I had and then said he'll deliver an ice maker from the warehouse. I live in a gated community and when he came to deliver it, he couldn't get in. I told him he would have to go around the other gate since the police department closed it down and he hung up on me after saying that it would have been nice to know before he drove all the way out. I thought this man was gonna be agitated and put my dog outside, but he was nice when he arrived. He put the ice maker in and said I was gonna have ice in four hours. When he came out, my friend and I watched a movie, came back, and we had no ice.

I called in the next day and got no response. It was the weekend, so I called on Monday and explained I didn't have any ice. Jeff told me to call my homeowner's company again and First American told me that because the call had been so long, I was gonna have to pay to have someone service out again. Jeff agreed that it was too long. One, I should have never closed the call out. Two, I had to convince him he replaced it. He knew the business and he knew exactly what he was doing, but I was willing to work with him to get the issue fixed. He said he would call me back, but he never calls back. He was rude and he hung up on me. My roommate, Jillian, heard him and asked to speak to him. We weren't gonna get far arguing, so I told her to go ahead.

She called Jeff this morning and he was irate with her as well. He said that we, women, do not understand that he was not gonna come out and we do not understand how ice makers work. He said it's been five months and he wasn't coming back out. She explained everything to him and when the call ended, he called her a ** and hung up. She called back wanting to speak to his supervisor and he said he owns the company. Jillian told him that we understood what he was trying to say and asked if he preferred to talk to our male roommate and he hung up on her again.

I was upset that he belittled us. He was irate from the beginning and he was extremely derogatory, demeaning and racist. He was not very professional or respectable. I called First American as soon as I spoke to Jillian and I spoke to a nice lady who apologized and said they were gonna send a different contractor. On a different note, I called for my washing machine recently and it was fixed and resolved through another company. I would recommend First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Margaret. Thank you for the feedback. We will be looking into the situation you have detailed below and appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had First American when I bought my home and kept it. All the reps were very professional. However, when we called in and put in a claim, it seemed like it always showed some company that was not even here in the Palmdale and Lancaster areas. They were always contracting out to somebody that has to come up from the Valley and take an hour and a half ride to get to me. First American was right here in the area so, I had to go back and forth with them. I told them who I wanted and they told me that they may not be available. So then, I tell them that I understand they may not be available, but these are the people that I really want to come in my house.

First American had a company come here from down below and they were not professional and was rude. They did the work but I wasn't that satisfied. So, the next time that I had a situation that encountered that same type of work almost to be done, I told them I didn’t want these people coming back to my house. When I initially bought my home, I knew they were gonna call All American Plumbing. They were right here and not even 20 minutes away from my house. I knew who I was gonna be dealing with and if I needed to drive over there for something, I knew I can drive there to do it. These other people coming in from somewhere else act mad when they get here because they had to drive through all that traffic to get up here in the mountains where I live. We're in Antelope Valley but it's the mountains. So, people have to travel.

I would love for First American to take note and see what companies they have that have their businesses here and who have some availability. Also, you got to wait for the people to call. The rep from First American gave me the telephone number and name of the company which they told me to call if I didn’t hear from them on that day. In some cases, they do. However, in other cases, they will call you through the next day or two days later because of their scheduling.

I gotta be smart and when the rep gives me the number, I would call the contractors after we hang up. I would ask them if they see an order for me. They would check and if they were booked up, they would ask if it would be okay to have somebody the next day which would be fine. First American should let us know what and how many companies they have in the area. Their reps said they didn’t know because everything is computerized. They just put the information in there and it spits out these different companies.

A pipe burst in my laundry room and First American had the plumber come in to fix the problem. However, when it came down to the damage that the water did, I had to use my homeowner's insurance and they had to get in contact with our contractor that came here who got all that stuff out and re-put in all the drywall and stuff in my laundry room and redid it.

My daughter just recently got their plan from First American when they bought their home. I would recommend it because it's a thing that you need. Any homeowner should have something like that because it comes very handy. Going through trying to use your mortgage insurance is crazy. The more you use your mortgage insurance, the more it goes up, every time you file a claim. You gotta give the people $75 to come in and fix and repair or replace whatever the problem is and this is affordable.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Ida for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate it and look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

When I bought the house that I'm living in four years ago, it came with a First American Home Warranty that was paid for one year. When I make a claim, a phone call is easiest. I tell them my problem and they ask for my number, address, or account number. They also ask on when they can send somebody out, and that they will have the people call me and set that up. If I go online, it will take me 20 minutes to get to the right place I need to be. Then, I'll put in the wrong information or push the wrong button, and it'll erase everything.

I moved in on October and 30 days after that, my hot water heater went out on a Wednesday, and Thanksgiving was Thursday. Everybody was off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I called First American and told them about it, and that water was dripping out of it going down the drain, that it was not lit anymore, and it was leaking. They said that they would send somebody out, and they'd call me and set up a time that's good for me. They did that and they replaced the hot water heater including the little backflow thing that goes with it. It was $1,300 but they didn't bat an eye.

About a year later, my washing machine went out. I tried a different company because that company was cheaper. They said they'd send me $125 towards the purchase of a new one. I told them that the last company I had either fix or replace it and not give me $125 toward a new one. I got rid of them and I came back to First American. First American sent a repairman out here and he couldn't fix it. He said that the threads were shot on the drain thing and I gotta have a whole new basket and a rotary thing. It came up to be more money than buying a new machine so First American sent me an email saying to pick out a washing machine that I'd like. They gave me about nine choices and what they recommended wasn't the cheapest, but it was the biggest. It was good for a good-sized family so they delivered that, hauled away the old one, and set the new one up. How could I go wrong?

The last thing was a refrigerator that was leaking water out from underneath it and coming out in the front, and it was starting to warp my wooden floor. They sent a guy out from Sears and the guy said that sometimes those tubes get frozen, and when they do, the water backs up and ends up going up underneath the fridge. He aired it out with a heater thing, cleaned it all up and fixed it. It worked fine ever since.

I've had a lot of help from First American. I brag about them all the time 'cause they save me a ton of money. And with $66 a month, in 10 months, that's $660. That's not even half of what the hot water heater costs. I have gained more than I've spent with the hot water heater, the washing machine, and fixing the refrigerator. I got an outside freezer an outside central air conditioning, a central heat, forced-air heating that is down in the basement area, and all the other appliance in the house that are covered by them. If one of those goes out, then I've got to really make out 'cause those are expensive to replace. Just like the advertisement says, "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when." I'm totally satisfied with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Bob for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear about your experiences with our company. We look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Our coverage with First American is going on four years now and up until about seven months ago, I was very pleased. An incident happened when we had a backup in one of the drain lines and we had to call out a plumber. The first time Zeus Plumbing came out was a year and a half ago. The guy put on a little rubber and called it a balloon. They stuck it into the line and turned the water on. It was supposed to handle the blockage. They opened it last time. But every six to eight months, the line would back up again and we'd have to call somebody else.

This last time, I wanted the contractor to look in the camera to find out because it seemed to be a recurring problem. So they put a camera in there, took a look and told my wife that it was really bad. We told them to go ahead and do the power jet thing for $350 to make sure it gets unclogged. It was some grease from the previous owners. But after it was all said and done, we had another plumber, who was recommended by First American, come out. They tried fixing the stoppage and then they told my wife they had to look at something else because there might be something else messed up in the line.

When the guy from Zeus Plumbing came back, he told my wife it was gonna be $19,000 to fix it. My wife told me and when I asked what he was doing, she said that he was gonna double check. 20 minutes later, he came back and told my wife it was gonna be $29,000 to fix this. His company called about three days later, wanting to know when they could come out and start doing the work for the $29,000. But I told them not to bother. I had some friends who were plumbers and I got somebody else to take a look at the line. He said that the contractor was trying to put one on us. The contractor had lied to my wife.

In the end, we had to pay $350 because Zeus Plumbing lied to First American. They said that they unclogged the line at 35 feet and that it was clean and cleared, but we insisted on them running the power jet thing. That was why they were charging $350. But the clog wasn't cleared and we didn’t request it. It was just a mess. I talked to the lady who handled the claim and told them that the contractor lied. I told First American to call Zeus Plumbing but of course, they said they did exactly what they said. So I was unhappy about that. It was a very bad experience and I told First American not to call Zeus Plumbing out here to my house ever again.

I also started reading my warranty. Zeus Plumbing only went 35 feet and the warranty said they could go up to 75. And after 75 feet, First American would have incurred the cost of using that machine to unclog it. This was mishandled. Some of the contractors that First American hired are not real good, and that’s one thing they might wanna check. They once sent somebody out to work on our air conditioning but the guy just stood outside. When he came back, he said our compressor was bad. He didn’t even do anything though. I was watching him.

So I called some people that I knew and they went out there. The guy was inside and outside for about four hours and he charged us like $148. There was totally nothing wrong with the compressor. All the contractor was trying to do was get a new compressor. So he was probably just going to leave the old compressor in, keep the new compressor, bill First American and then bill us. On the other hand, First American had replaced a dishwasher and done other work. They sent electricians out a couple of times before and everything was good. First American has been really good. As a matter of fact, I've recommended them to a coworker who just bought a home and he got the warranty through them.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jimmy. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to servicing your next claim!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I’ve had a better experience with First American Home Buyers Protection in the last month than I had in the last few years. They have been approving their claims faster, not denying them. They give a special window to the technician. They have a $500 limit and the techs don’t have to call in the item for repair for a prior authorization, which is better. They can just go ahead and fix the item. I just had a hot water heater put in and it was done within a week. I usually submit a claim on the phone with their automated system. I'd call the 800 number and they'd ask what the item is. If it's for a water heater, they’d ask if it’s a natural gas or electric and if the leaking problem was from above or below. If it’s leaking from below, they’d know that it is not fixable and that it is probably rusted out.

If I have another claim on top of it, the system will ask if I have an additional claim, then I'll get pushed over to the representative because it’s another claim and there will be two different claims. If I have a toilet that is leaking a little and I don’t want to put the claim in and then, all of a sudden, I have another faucet leaking, I could put those two items to the same claim.

The technicians have also been better. One time, on the automated system just recently for a garage door, they sent out an electrical company which I thought was very strange. I looked at the garage door and we thought it was the battery for the remote. The guy came out and he looked at the garage door. He was gonna order a memory board and I said no. It was not the memory board because the garage door remote was working with the side panel. I went home and canceled that claim. I called claims resolution and I said that they sent R&R Electric out, but I’d rather have them send Braum out. The rep canceled that claim and made a continuation of the claims with Braum, and they came out and fixed the item right away.

Years ago, if you had two or three claims, First American wouldn’t renew you. It’s like a car insurance for your house and people understand. When you buy a house or a condo, make sure you get the home warranty because, in the first year, you're gonna get a 20 or 25% discount, but after the first year, it’s gonna go up, so don’t be alarmed if your policy goes up. They call the first year a real estate contract and you either have your realtor pay for it or have the buyer pay for it. It’s a normal contract. The seller pays for the home warranty especially if the house is older and a lot of stuff came up with the inspection report. If you can’t afford the renewal, then just go monthly or at least get something.

I would say to others to definitely go with First American. It’s better than nothing, but I wouldn’t go with the smaller mom and pops. There are smaller companies like Old Republic and they are not as big as First American. People say that they have never heard of First American, but I ask them if they have ever heard of First American Title Insurance Company, one of America’s largest title insurer and has offices all over the place. They say that they have heard of them and I tell them that it is the same company.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for taking the time in providing your feedback, Roger! We appreciate your time and business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The weekend I have house guests and I wake up to my AC not working. Ruben arrived shortly after 10am and new instantly what he needed to check. He had the part with him and had my system up and running quickly. Friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Can't beat that!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

This is second time I used First American warranty. Both times I had great service. I highly recommend them, especially to single women. No cons. Professional, reliable service. I highly recommend to my friends. Safe and they clean up when done. For $75.00 deductible I had several hundreds of dollars worth of work done.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

If it were not for Maria ** this review would be mostly 1 stars but thanks to her All-Star effort I am rating you higher. I recently had work done to my septic tank that needed repairs to keep the structural integrity in place so it would not fail to cause a huge issue and going through the proper channels I submitted for approval and sought advice on a contractor once agreed upon I had the work done and submitted my claim. Afterwards is where the struggles began.

There is a lack of communication between representative on the side of understanding a cases history. Maria worked with me side by side in arranging, approving, and initiating the claim. When I wasn't able to reach her the few times I called trying to submit paperwork and getting my refund approved. I was pushed between representatives and told many confusing wrong things that were at times contradicting.

The online submitting process for review of a claim is a joke due to its non-personal slash and burn style of denying claims simply by verbiage of a contract. I was on the verge at one point of hiring a lawyer for small claims due to the way my claim online was handled. Thankfully I was able to get back in contact with Maria and the situation was rectified but it makes me very concerned about how customers are being taken care of because I know I am persistent where I know others would have given up out of frustration and confusion. If there were not employees like Maria I would not be renewing next year but thankfully you do have a few kind-hearted employees that listen and work with their clients unlike a mindless automated claims system that looks for any excuse to deny a claim. In the future I will only be contacted to work phone to phone with an employee rather than trying to use your automated system which is a waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Refrigerator repair. Kitchen floor flooded, you had ATI visit us, determined a new water valve was needed. Repair was made in just a few days. Very satisfied. Technician was very friendly and knew his work well. There is nothing I can add to this.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

It took 1 month for anyone to get back to us about repairing a light. We called them three times and were promised a call back. They never called back. We called to find out what's going on. For the fourth time the person on the phone didn’t know what contractor they sent out and proceeded to ask to call me back while she looks into it. It appears this is a tactic to get you off the phone. Finally I call to cancel my policy. They tell us they need to transfer to the cancellation dept. No answer. Left message. Called back. Was given an email to request cancellation. They still billed my credit card.

Called them again. They never received an email which I received a confirmation from them. Sent email number 2. Called them. They tell me they need a letter not email. Became frustrated and they transferred to again to the cancellation dept. No answer. Another voicemail. Then I get another email asking for an email requesting cancellation. STAY AWAY. This company didn’t care about their customers and makes canceling a nightmare in hopes you give up. I will be filing a complaint with Better Business.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
Septic tank system $500
*Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
  2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
  3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information