Consumer Reviews and Complaints

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your business, Eric!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

A couple of years ago, our real estate agent out here in California called us since we were going to sell our home in St. Louis, Missouri. We were becoming rent tenants, so she told us to consider getting a home warranty. I did a little research on First American and they had a good reputation. I talked to them and they went through a very detailed process on the product that they offered, so we chose them. We got a platinum home warranty deal that it had covered everything from head to toe in the house, and all we had to pay was a very small premium and then whenever we got a service call with anything. For $700 a year, it covers everything. It really turned out to be awesome.

It has been very easy to submit claims with them. I call their number, they look me up, then they verify the package that I have. Once that has been done, usually within the same day, they get back to me. We are out of state, and the technicians had been very cooperative. They would call me and I was able to give them the tenant’s number so they can arrange times. It’s been a really good service. Moreover, I don’t have eyes on the field, but I'm not hearing any complaints. Our tenants have been happy. In fact, one of them had no hot water and they have little kids, and we got First American after that day and got things fixed. So far, everything is good. It has been an easy-peasy experience.

First American Home Warranty

Happy to be of service, Sarah!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

The previous owners that we bought our house from already had the insurance from First American so we continued on with it. Submitting claims was pretty easy and fast. The reps were very helpful and they always answered my questions when I needed service. My mother-in-law who interacted with the First American people said that they were very good and respectful. Their people were professional and I'm pretty satisfied with their business.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for being a loyal customer, Gaye!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I’ve used First American for 22 years and sometimes I’ve had very good luck. In the last five years, they’ve improved everything a lot in the sense of getting the signal sent to the person to come out much faster. And, you don’t have to be on hold for long on the phone line. Then lately it’s been pretty black and white. They are up front to say what is not covered and if it is covered, you pay your $65 and the thing gets fixed. They have replaced appliances when it was shot and could be replaced.

When it goes well, it goes very well and when it goes poorly, it goes very poorly. I had a washing machine once and the guy was very easy to work with. It was black and white, and he said, “This machine is shot. You should get a new one and we’ll pay for it and we’ll cover it with Sears.” They came right out, put the machine in and it was fine. That worked well. Then there was a time, also with Sears, where they wanted to set me up with representatives in Alabama and I simply didn’t want to order a dishwasher online.

I’m the kind of person who likes to take the tape measure down and be sure the machine is gonna actually fit. Some of the things that were for sale now were different. And finally, they allowed me to have a Tucson man come up from Sears and say, “Okay, we’re gonna bring you down to the selection and we’ll show you several and then we’ll get back to First American. And in order for them to pay, they need to make the approval of one of these that you pick.” So I said, “Okay, that sounds much better to me.” And he had the measuring tape and knew the exact models that would be good for that space. But when I did go down, I got in this trouble. First American said that I had made an upgrade and tried to charge me more money for that. That wasn’t good.

I had to do a lot of letters and forms, but finally it went in my favor. They finally agreed. They gave the choices and I had made a selection and they finally didn’t make me pay the extra $1,000. It was handled to everybody’s best ability, but there were misunderstandings all along the way. I stood my ground like I really didn’t think it was a good idea to put in a machine by ordering online. And then I really was happy when First American let me go down to Sears and choose and then Sears was very firm about they would not sell me one or install until First American approved. Then First American approved one and the man came out a day or two’s time and put one in.

From what I saw on the internet First American is a trustworthy company so I chose them. I go online and follow the prompt to submit a claim and that's an easy process. The claims rep I spoke with was very professional. But when I first called, they assigned it to Sears and they were two weeks out when I called and they can't expect someone to wait two weeks to get a washing machine fixed. When I said that's too long, they assigned me to another contractor who was horrible. I called and told First American they should never use them again. The guy stood me up after my wife waited all day long for him, then he texted us about 5:00 that evening and said he had car problems and couldn't get an internet or phone connection to give us a call, and said that he would be out the next day. I said okay but I told him he had to come before a specific time and I never heard from him again. I'm more upset that he didn't call to say, "I won't be there. I can't be there."

So, we went about a month without getting the service work done and that's not acceptable. I'm not happy at all with that process. When the technician that was representing Sears came out, the first guy, he tried to fix it and he thought he had fixed it, but he didn't. And then the next guy that came out replaced a part and it's been working fine. Overall, First American is fine and I've used them several times.

I've been a homeowner for so long and I've been with First American for quite some time. And when I file a claim with them, it gets submitted. However, I’ve been having some concerns because of issues with my dishwasher. When it wasn't working and there was an error sign, I called First American and it was fixed. However, the error sign happened again and I called two months later and the guy came back again. Now it's broken again and the technician will be coming on Monday 'cause that's when I'm working from home. I will talk to the technician myself.

Another concern I have is when I was trying to speak to the gentleman that took my call, he couldn't really understand what I was trying to say to him. I understand though that sometimes they have a protocol to follow and there's a script that they need to do. He couldn't give me a straight answer and told me they were going to get a technician. I asked him what the next step was if the technician couldn't fix it but he couldn't give me an answer. This issue with my dishwasher happened four times and I'm frustrated. I can't use my dishwasher and I pay 60 bucks a month for the warranty. When I have to do it continually, then they could at least demonstrate to me that they're sorry and that they're a bit concerned. They could tell me that they would get to the bottom of it and speak with the technician to see what the problem is. And when the technician comes, I have to pay for that as well.

When the call dropped and I wasn't contacted, I called again and tried to speak with a representative. The lady who took my call was really rude. She says, "Look, how many times have we been here? This person just called me and told me that they've already been to your house seven times." I told her that I was only trying to get this resolved. But she started asking me like she was interrogating me about when the person was there and what they did. I told her that I was the customer and was only trying to see if I could get someone to come and fix the dishwasher. If they can't fix it then they should let me know what else we can do to resolve this matter. We're paying a service and something has to get done. The last tech who said he fixed the dishwasher told us to use it continually like three times a week. We did that but the same issue happened. Hopefully, they could fix this by Monday when the technician comes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Maintenance and repair costs led us to look into getting a home warranty. My son did some comparative shopping and First American had the best rates and program as far as what they would cover. On the whole, they've been professional and excellent. When submitting a claim, we call in and they assign a contractor or a service to us. Those people call, arrange for a visit, and come out. And if the situation couldn't be repaired, then since they have to order a part, they inform us of what that part is and when it is going to be here. As soon as it's here, they come back out and replace it. The claims representatives are very polite and businesslike, to the point, and they try very hard to please. We've never had any problem with them. The technicians are good people, real friendly, professional, very polite, and very careful about what they do as far as rearranging something or having to get something out of the way.

I was with American Home Shield and I got disgusted with them. So, I went through the internet and looked for a home program for protection. Then I decided to try First American. Around December 31st at 6:00 at night, the water was coming out of the water heater. There was a pipe broken and we had to turn the water off through the whole house. I called them up fo file a claim. I asked the representative if he could recommend a plumber as it was an emergency. He called three plumbers then he gave me names of plumbers that I could call. But they couldn't come out that night because it was a holiday weekend. So we had to call another plumber and he did the job. I called them back to see if I could get reimbursed and they said no because they didn't authorize me. I wasn't too happy with the $300 charge but that's part of life. It was okay and we had hot water that same evening so there was no problem.

Then I called them the second time for another problem with the heater and they took care of it right away with no problems. The person that answered the phone knew what he was doing. I'm satisfied so far with them. It's a very good feeling to know that they have competent people to do the work that you request and that's the most important.

In the last eight years, there were a couple of times that I thought about switching, but I don't think there's anything better than First American so I couldn't really do any switch. In the beginning it's been a struggle finding the right service person. They would put me to some people that wouldn't even return my calls and make appointments. Also, their process was a little slow but it seems easier now to do things with them. They've established some people to take care of the client so it’s been better. I'm happy now and I might have several people signing up for it really soon.

I've got three properties before with First American. Now, I have two properties under them. I have one house in North Carolina which is getting older and getting more service done, and one here in South Carolina. I'm quite pleased with the people that they send in. The technician from Sears service center has been really good and I'm glad that he came the second time because I had problems with my dryer and he fixed it at the same day. He's the same person that checked my washer and I was pleased to see him because he would put towels on top of my counter and small things like that. He's been very courteous and professional, as well as the people that they called to do my air-conditioning. They would put shoe cover and things like we never really pay attention to, but it's quite nice to see those kind of people going to my house.

We bought a condo almost three years ago and First American Home Warranty was included in the paperwork. We've had about four claims and had no problems with any of the technicians that came. One of the claims was for a new dishwasher that was in the condo when we got it. It wouldn't run. So we got a guy come out here and he had to come out at least six different times to fix the problem. They had to order the part but got the wrong one. It didn't bother me but it would have been cheaper to put a new dishwasher in here than to have the expense of all the repairs that was done on it. But other than that, I haven't had any problems with anything.

I’ve been with First American for years now and they do a great job in most instances. I call them on the phone to file a claim and the process is fairly easy. You go through all the information first and once you’re through with that, then you describe what your initial problem is and they’ll tell you they’ll get back to you with a contractor. That could be on the same working day or the next day. Typically, it’s on the same day. Their technicians have been fine and have been pretty competent.

Sometimes, though, they encounter something they weren’t counting on and that changes the complexity of the job. Recently, they had to come back. Also, someone from First American called me yesterday and asked me when we wanted to schedule to get our garbage disposal fixed. But I put that claim on the website two weeks ago and I took care of it myself so I don't know what happened. Otherwise, my experience with First American has been great that’s why I keep renewing them.

We've committed three claims and everything has been taken cared of ASAP. The technicians that First American sent out have been fine, especially the guy who came with the pool. The other guy who put a fuse in my drier wasn't here that long but he took care of the problem. They're very professional. We're happy with our experience and would recommend First American Home Warranty.

We purchased a new house and had to have a home warranty, and the mortgage company we purchased our house from suggested that we go with First American. The claims process was easy. I called by phone and the claims representative was courteous and professional. The technicians came out really quick the next day, assessed the problem, and made a suggestion. They did the plumbing that they needed to do and the work was done very well. First American paid the claim out really quick. We've had a good experience so we're not changing our home warranty insurance, we'll be keeping it.

First American Home Buyers Protections' claims process was real good. I've called their customer service before and they've been great with me. Their technicians were wonderful too. I'd recommend them to a friend.

I renewed my warranty with First American so in case I have any problems and if something breaks down, I can call them to come out and fix it. Whenever I submit a claim, they have somebody call me and give me a definite time when the tech is going to come out. So far, the fixes that have been done were good. I haven't had any problems about it. It's a good experience as long as they get the work done in a timely fashion.

We got First American through the escrow closing purchase of the house. Filing a claim to them was excellent. My house started smelling like gas and I thought there was going to be an explosion and we had to call the fire department. When we turned everything off and the gas smell went away, I went online and submitted a claim at one o'clock in the morning on the day of the big storm for the heating and air conditioning unit 'cause it was 39 degrees. It was Christmas Eve, so I didn't hear from anybody 'til Monday.

I got a phone call to make an appointment and they said they weren't going to be able to come up for another two weeks. But somehow, within half an hour they called me back and they said they had an opening. The guy came out and said my air-conditioning and heating unit was cracked in half and it was filled with water on top of the roof. He submitted the claim to First American, and four days later on Thursday morning, I had the truck and the crane, and a brand new air conditioning and heating unit was installed. It was incredible.

It was easy to submit a claim to them and their reps were very helpful. Their technicians have all been good too, and when we had a bad experience with a person assigned to us, their customer service reps assigned us to someone else. All in all, it's been a great experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’ve been using First American for over five years and I have two policies with them. I have submitted claims on my dishwasher, air conditioner, and most recently for an electrical problem and my hot water heater. I've never had a problem with them other than a little issue with the scheduling of the company they used for the electrical problem as opposed to the issue getting fixed and it angered me.

First American used R&R Electric. The first time they called, I said that I'd really like to make an appointment on a time when my husband was gonna be home. They said they’d come on a Saturday morning and I said that would be great because my husband would be here at home. They said they’d give me a call first. So, their guy came and dealt with my husband.

However, on the second time when I had to do the recall, I called First American to set it up. R&R called me at 6:30 in the evening and said they’d be here the following day between 8:00 and 12:00. I said, "Tomorrow's not good for me because I work that evening." I only work three evenings a week, so there are days when it's easier for me to get up early. I asked if I can schedule it another day or a day the following week since the issue was not critical. It was a hallway upper light that just flicks on and off by itself, but we have other lights so we can still see. The rep said, "No. I can call you the day before we have our next opening in your area." I said, "You mean I can't say two weeks from now? I can't say in the future ‘will you come on this day?’" She said, “No.”

First off, if you work Monday through Friday and need to have a workman come to your house, you know you're gonna have to take off work. However, most people's jobs, unless you lie and call in sick, you would pre-schedule something like that. Like me, I was a nursing supervisor. With the job I do right now, I work weird hours. I also work from home and I can be at home in the morning, but I don't necessarily wanna get up at 8:00 AM because that's the middle of my night. So, I'm not gonna schedule the visit of the technician on the day when I know I have my every two weeks team meeting. I'll live without whatever the issue is so that I can be home. You should be able to schedule your own appointment within reason to be convenient for your schedule.

So, I called First American and talked to a guy and he bumped me up to a supervisor right away 'cause I said, "Is this what First American does? Honestly, I've never had this problem. If this is a reflection of the companies that you're using now, I'm gonna have to go look someplace else because at this day and age, people work and you have to give the customer some flexibility in scheduling. If I don't take the appointment your 8:00 to 12:00 appointment tomorrow, I have no idea. You're gonna call me another evening at 6:30 when the guy is in my area and you're gonna tell me that I have to stay home at 8:00 AM."

Anyhow, I took the appointment because I didn't have a choice. I asked the rep if the electrician’s gonna call because they have to call to wake me up because I may not hear the doorbell in the bedroom. The rep said no problem but then she goes, "Well, it won't be 8:00 anyhow." A second ago, she was telling me 8:00 to 12:00. Now, it won't be that early anyhow? So, why didn’t she tell me 9:00 or 10:00 to 12:00? And then I'd set my alarm and get up at 9:30.

It just was a luck-out that I happen to wake up and had gone to the bathroom around 9:30. Normally, I would go back to bed. I had just fallen back to sleep from going to the bathroom but my doorbell rang. I had on a pair of underpants and a t-shirt and had to grab a pair of pants. I told the technician that he was supposed to call first but he looked at me and kept walking in the house. He was about as pleasant as nothing when he walked in the door.

First American said that if I ever have an electrical problem again, they're putting it in my file that they're taking it to a different electric company. I said that FirstAm should use a different electric company for everyone. They should either renegotiate their contract with R&R. If that's their attitude, FirstAm should be done with them. I said, "I live in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale area. You can drive from West Palm Beach down to the Keys and it's like 60, 70 miles of non-stop city. I'm gonna guess there is another electric company somewhere in that 60 miles you could use in the area other than this Orlando-based company."

But at the same time I had this electrical problem, at my other house apparently, my three-year-old hot water heater had a crack in the bottom. Unlike R&R, The company who came for it gave me some windows and some flexibility in scheduling when they could come back 'cause I had to work around my son's school schedule. He cannot skip going to school but he doesn’t have school on Fridays. The company was able to schedule the visit on a Friday and gave me an afternoon appointment. R&R’s rep and company policy suck, but I’ve told people about First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had First American on and off for a long time. We have a place in the valley and another one up in the mountain where no other warranty company covers so First American was our choice. When I first started, they didn’t use local vendors. We had one contractor that came up here. We're on granite and it was a plumbing issue. If a vendor does not know the area, they wouldn’t know how water would react. They sent somebody up from the valley and he could not find the leak. He was going to charge us $5,000 to bring some equipment here and another $5,000 an hour to use the equipment.

Luckily, we were having some work done on the roof and the guy happened to be a plumber. He said, “Tell him to leave. I will find it.” It just cost me $50 to get it fixed. That’s why I'm so happy now that we have local contractors. They're very nice but because of where we're located, if something goes out, it might take a couple of days to get the part, but that’s okay.

My husband and I filed a claim last weekend when our heater went out. We called First American's preferred contractor and they didn't have any appointments for 4 days, and they were located close to two hours from our home. We expressed our concern to First American, especially since the overnight temperature had been in the 30s and we have an infant in the house. We asked if we could use our HVAC contact because we had had a similar situation. They told us they would get back to us. We never heard back and we went ahead with our own repairs, and now they won't pay for the claim. Every time we've needed to call them we've gotten the run around and it's been more of a headache than any peace of mind that was promised during the purchase of our home. There's got to be a better company out there because First American should be called Last Resort Warranty Company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been a First American customer for a year now. Their claim process was easy. I just called. Normally, I don't have a problem with their claims rep but the last one was a little tricky. I don't know if it was on their end or if it was Sears. There was a little mix-up with my address because somebody entered it wrong. It was broken since November right before Thanksgiving and it just got fixed Saturday. It took a little longer to get done because their contractors gave me a four hour time span. I think everybody does that but who has time for four hours nowadays since everybody has a busy schedule. I think they need to give a two hour window. Also, they were saying "Oh this is the problem" and then it wasn't, it was another problem. So, it took a while to get repaired but it's finally repaired. I don’t think it was First American's fault but it was a combination with their contractor.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything has been great when we filed claims to First American. I screwed up, though, when my water heater blew up and I had it replaced. I was worried about my floor being damaged and I called a plumber I knew to come over instead of calling First American. I called First American's sales rep, Cheryl, and asked her if she could help me out. I asked her to speak on my behalf about not calling the warranty company first regarding the matter. Cheryl was really good in helping out and they ended up giving me exactly 50% of what I paid for the water heater which considering that it wasn't through their people was fair enough. The water heater was 950 bucks.

I also called on a Friday recently to have someone come out and look at my heat pump. But nobody got a hold of me until Tuesday which was four days later. They don't work over the weekends which is when everything happens. But the guy that they sent out for the heat pump was super professional and very nice. He spent time teaching me what was wrong with it, what was right with it and how it was. That was great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American was the insurance that the seller got for us and we've been using them for a year and a half now. I filed a claim for a replacement of the garbage disposal not very long ago. We called and they contacted us right away and they replaced it. Their technician was very nice and very professional, and their customer service rep was good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife had submitted claims with First American and she finds it easy every time. Recently, they sent in a good dude and got our issue taken care of in a timely fashion even though our furnace was getting crappy.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Filing a claim was really quick and easy. Everything went well when I spoke with the claims representative. The tech was really on time and so far, I'd recommend First American Home Warranty.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American has always done the job for me. I submit claims over the phone and it's always seem to be easy enough. Every once in a while, the technicians take longer than they should but most of the time, they're within one to two days. They usually fix the problem. If they don't figure it out, it'd take them a day or so to get a part. Other than that, I've always been pleased.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We called First American for a refrigerator issue and they sent someone out. Three weeks went by and we never heard from the contractor that came out or First American. I had to call them to follow up and they said, "Oh, well. We got back to your insurance company and they're not going to cover." It was fine that it wasn't covered except that we waited for three weeks, and it was over the holidays. I was a little frustrated about that. I also told First American that the contractor left with a towel punched up and stuck inside my freezer door. So our first experience wasn't that god. They were nice, but I wish the communication was better.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been using First American Home Warranty for about five years now per my realtor's recommendation when I purchased this house. I have submitted two claims to them and they both worked out very well. One was on the refrigerator. The technician came and found out what the problem was, and fixed it. And then I had to have a garbage disposal replaced and they did that. Their technicians were very good and they have good customer service too. Everything has been handled very professionally each and every time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like my experience with First American but they don't cover the roof. I had a leak and they said if it's not a pipe, they won't fix it. But that's not what we were told when we were starting. Other than that, submitting a claim with them is usually fast. The other claim I filed took days but on another one, they called and came right away. Then the technicians are all very nice except the refrigerator guy, who would come three hours late. He did it four times. I let First American know and they sent a different tech the last time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with First American for 10 years. I like the company but I don't like the people that they send out sometimes. They have a timeframe between 12:00 and 4:00 and I told them I couldn't be there until 3:30 or 4:00. When the last technician came to fix the washer, he was already at my house and I was 15 minutes away but he wouldn't wait. He left and said that I didn't understand what it was like to deal with appointments. So, I missed the technician and there were no more appointments open until after Christmas. I had to take a day off from school to have him come out and he took less than 15 minutes to fix the problem. The technician said he fixed my washer and it does appear to be fixed, but the reason why it went bad was because the people who fixed it before him who were also with First American, did not put a coupler in place which caused the agitator to go bad.

Another problem is that I cannot find my jewelry which was sitting out on the counter. I'm going to tear my house apart this weekend to see if I can find it, but I know I had it in the house and he's the only one that was there. I'm not accusing anyone though, I'm just saying I cannot find the jewelry. Other than that, First American has been really good and they took care of a lot of things for me. I'd rate them at the top but I wouldn't use those people that they use.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We got First American when we purchased our house about two years ago. It was a fairly easy process when submitting a claim. The First American guys were great and the technician that came out to our house seemed knowledgeable and quick. I feel great about the work that was performed.

First American Home Warranty Company Profile