Consumer Reviews and Complaints

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your comments and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

We purchased our house in April and the warranty from First American came with the packing. I have been extremely happy with their warranty. The claims process has been wonderful. I call up and I explain to them what I need, and I get someone out here immediately. The people they pick to work with us have been really good, and the work quality has been top-notch. The service has been prompt and I love it. I'm going to renew it and add my air conditioner when it's up next year.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your business John!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

A neighbor referred First American to us. He said that they were a good company to deal with and that they had a good reputation, and that they had the job done. And then I did some looking around online and at some of the reviews just to validate that before choosing them. Their claims process has been very good and doing it online or over the phone is pretty simple.

Their representatives are professional and courteous and they get back to me in a good time frame. First American is reasonable with what they cover and what they don't. I've had some other warranty companies that you pay for the warranty service but you have to arm wrestle everything that should be covered. First American seems to be very honest and willing to do what they need to and take care of what they need to take care of. The most recent claim that I had done was for a garage door opener. They were excellent, fast, and did everything very well. We just bought another house in Texas and we're moving so we are getting our warranty through them for it.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for being a loyal customer for over 10 years Shirley!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I love First American Home Warranty. They're great and they’ve helped me out so many times. We’ve had many rental properties wherein at one time, we had 14 of them. I had many of them on another home warranty until about 10 years ago, somebody told me that First American is very reliable. And so, we've always used them.

It’s very easy to submit claims. You just key in on the computer. If we have a problem on one of the addresses, they’d let you know who they're assigning to come out and fix it. This way I can call the contractor directly if I have a question because most of our properties were in Tennessee and we moved to Florida. The contractors always came out too. And if First American couldn’t get somebody, they’d let you use a local person that you know and they’d reimburse you up to a certain amount. I've had three repairs recently on some properties and First American took care of it all.

First American also pays everything. I had an experience about two years ago on a refrigerator that was purchased new three years prior. It was a nice refrigerator but I had a repair on it. First American said it was unrepairable and told me that they would replace it. The rep sent me the model numbers and made sure this is what I was happy with. It was a $1,500 refrigerator and they replaced it. That’s almost like two years of premium. And that wasn’t the only repair I had at that house. When you have renters, you expect repair. But that was the best experience I had.

Most repairs I had was for plumbing, electrical, and garage doors. It's one thing after another. One issue I had was the garage door openers had to be both replaced, which was expensive. Also, the service calls are only $65 and they might be going up an extra $10 plus the premium. I know some people don’t want to pay for a warranty, but then when they're hit with a $2,000 bill, they'd wish they had done it. I have recommended First American to a dozen of people. I told them, “You should have a home warranty and you don’t have to worry about it. It's a wild card you don’t have to deal with."

I've had First American warranty for 17 years and I always had good service. I file my claims by phone. I don't like to do it online because there are too many steps. Their claims reps were always courteous, I get service as fast as I can and they tell me who's gonna come out. That gives me a chance to check out the company if it's a local company, even before they come to see how far they're coming and if I'd see any complaints. I even called one of the plumbers again who came out because he was in the neighborhood and I had another problem that wasn't covered and he did a good job.

There was a time when the first guy couldn't fix it, and First American sent a second guy and they didn't charge me twice. They only charged me once. Everything has always worked out well. I get fairly quick service. Sometimes you have to wait, but if it's an emergency, they could send somebody out immediately. That happened one time when my shower wouldn't stop running and the shower pan was filling up. They also fixed my washer a couple of weeks ago. It's an old washer and they had the part on the truck. It was a quick fix. I'm very satisfied with First American and I really rely on it. I have recommended it to my friends.

My realtor used First American in the past and when I bought my house 10 years ago, he gifted me my first year of protection and I decided to stay with it because I was satisfied. Submitting a claim has been pretty easy because I tell them what’s going on and they tell me who the service provider is going to be. The reps were courteous, cooperative and helpful and the technicians who came were professional too. They did great quality work. My only suggestion is if they could look at being able to cover a bit more appliances than what they can. They could really corner the market if they cover a bit more than what other home warranty companies are covering.

A neighbor gave us information about First American. We've been having things fall apart regularly for the last five years since our house was built. Our builder turned out to be a scam artist who did a lot of crappy work and First American has come in handy. Submitting claims has been easy, they're helpful and courteous and I'm happy with everything that has been done. I would personally recommend that homeowners have First American.

My real estate agent recommended First American. Submitting a claim was an easy process, but it was difficult the first time I did it because for some reason my payment at closing didn't go through. First American was not yet showing me as a client. I had to call my real estate agent and he had to pay it. That was taken care of and I now can submit claims online. The guy that came out for plumbing was professional and courteous. I had the same company come out for electrical and they had to come back because the issue they came out for was not fixed.

I purchased this Home Warranty on April 10, 2017 at which time I was charged $62. I was told that if we canceled the policy within 30 days that would be refunded to my credit card. In July 2017 I noticed they had been charging my card every month and called them to get this resolved. They said it would be resolved and somebody would contact me by days end which never happened. In August I called again because another charge for $62 was added to my credit card. When I called this time I was told I needed to be transferred to a Supervisor and was hung up on.

After a 3 hour phone event trying to get this resolved, I was told again that I would receive a call within an hour and they would refund me the 5 months of fraudulent charges. They never called back. At that point I got the Credit Card company involved and they had to close the card and file a claim. Then, on 9/10/17 they tried to charge my card again. Since the card was closed they called me to tell me that I was in danger of losing the warranty coverage. I went through the whole event again for a couple of hours and was now told that the claim was being processed. I called again on 9/14/17 and they stated that they did not have any of this on file and they were still trying to charge my card. BUYER BEWARE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I received my First American warranty when I purchased the house. I had used another home warranty company before and First American was definitely much better. Submitting a claim was fairly simple and straightforward. One drawback, though, was that their online system isn't very user-friendly. The call-in system and the operators got things done a lot quicker. The techs have been very professional and flexible, and my interactions with them have always been very good. If I had to cancel appointments and reschedule, they said, "No problem. We'll work around your schedule."

Another issue was when we had an HVAC problem, the contractor they sent out wanted to replace the entire system. However, my brother-in-law is an HVAC tech and he had put the system in, and he said that the system didn't have to be replaced and we were just low on refrigerant. The contractor was a little shady and my brother-in-law suggested that we ask the warranty company to get this contractor off their list. On the other hand, the quality of First American's service for the other claims that we've had has been outstanding. They were very fast and reliable, and quick to react even when we had a major problem here, and their service was very different from that of the other warranty company that I had previously.

Submitting a claim was easy and straightforward. The technician was knowledgeable and he did his job very well. Overall, my experience with First American has been easy and simple. I like it.

First American Home Warranty is in the contract when I got the house and I renew the contract every year. Whenever I have to claim a warranty item, First American gets somebody out here for the job. Submitting a claim is easy. I call in and tell them what's going on and within the next hour, they’ll send a text message of who’s coming out and I’ll get in touch with the person and schedule when he’ll come. All the technicians do their job diligently and get things fixed. Everybody is cool and everything is holding up. I've recommended First American Home Warranty to a lot of my friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have been without a water heater for 3 weeks and still they haven't contacted us as to when they are replacing it. Now we have mold issues which they don't cover but due to the fact it's taking a long time they should be held liable. I have been contacting them daily twice a day and all they can say is "sorry". I have contacted the contractor and they have told us they provided all the information to First American but seems that there is no urgency on their end. I would definitely will not be using their service again nor will renew my contract or refer them to friends and family. FYI their contract says if they can't get anyone to fix it we can go and find a contractor ourselves but they have to approve the charges.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'd call in to submit a claim to First American Home Warranty and the process was very efficient and pretty easy. I've had really good experiences with the techs and they were all pleasant. They described to me what my problem was and the methods that they were going to do to fix them.

I had a warranty provider before that didn't keep up to what they were saying and First American Home Warranty seemed better, so I thought I'd try them. They have sent me contractors that were great and did the job well. With the latest claim I had, the rep said that she had selected a contractor but it was going to be two or three days before they could come out, and I told her that she had to have someone here that day. She said that was hard but she got someone out anyway. I had to call the contractor back and they had to order a part, but that's no problem. The only thing is that when the reps call the contractors, they put the customer on hold until they find someone, instead of finding someone then calling the customer back, and the waiting on hold could take up to 30 minutes, which is a little long.

I acquired First American Home Warranty so I am covered in case something breaks in the house. I have filed claims two times. I called and they sent out a company who did a very good job. But I’m unhappy because they are charging me too much money. First American Home Warranty is charging me $72 but on the TV it was $44.

A realtor initially purchased the First American warranty for me. Since then, I've had them in the last three homes I've owned and I love them. Submitting claims has been easy. I would go online or call then they would take my information and the next thing I know, somebody is giving me a call. They were always good, very professional and Johnny-on-the-spot. Some of the vendors can be goofy but that's not First American. I had my wits about me with regard to plumbing and when a guy came in and told me all the extra work I needed on my plumbing in order for him to put in a water heater that is needing to be replaced, I knew the guy was trying to up his fees. But I would imagine he gets away with it with some people. I called and told First American about that guy and they made me feel like I did them a favor, so I still like them.

They do a great job and I've been happy with the quality of work done so far. Most of the stuff I've ever had to have done, like a water heater or a dishwasher, can wait one or two days so it's been no big deal. Maybe someday I'm going to be in some sort of quasi real emergency. But so far, their service has been satisfactory and I would be happy to buy and use them again.

Submitting a claim with First American is easy. However, getting the claims is not. The first time I got a claim, the guy had to come back out and do the work. The second time I submitted a claim, the guy patched up my garbage disposal and he never came back out yet. I’ve reached out to both First American and the contractor about it. First American tries their best to fix the situation but they need to do better or take another company that they deal with. Things work well in other situations. One of them was the dryer and it’s still pretty good. The guy had to come back out and do what should have been done the first time. It's supposed to be replaced but it’s not being replaced, it was just patched up.

Getting things repaired all at one time costs a lot of money. So I decided on getting a home warranty because, with it, repairs would be more manageable. And among the providers, I chose First American because they seemed to be more customer-friendly. Their customers would just call them or go online to submit claims and the reps would call back promptly to set up an appointment. Their site is also very user-friendly, I’m 64 and I can do it. My experience with the reps has always been pleasant as well. The technicians they’ve sent been have also been really good. It was just a little frustrating in the beginning because sometimes the technicians would come out and they’ve never done a certain job. But now, First American changed the company that comes out and they do their work really good. We’re having an awesome experience with First American, it’s refreshing that we have a company that does what they said they’re going to do.

I've been with First American Home Warranty for a few years now and I renew with them every year. I’m satisfied with them. They've always taken care of my needs and they've been very prompt when I've called to file claims. The rep would take my information and then First American would have the company that's going to take care of the situation call me. I usually hear from the contractors within 24 hours and we set up a time that they're going to come out. The technicians sent by First American have been very good, professional and usually take care of the situation. I've had an electrician, an air condition tech and three sets of plumbers, and their quality of work was excellent.

Kitchen faucet started leaking up at the counter from the faucet stalk. Plumber came, took 2 minutes to look at it and said it needed to be replaced but warranty would only cover builder’s standard. I called First American and was told the same thing. I asked if I bought my own faucet, wouldn't they cover the labor. They said no, that if I bought the more expensive faucet, I would be responsible for the labor as well. I canceled the home warranty immediately. What good is it? What kind of racket is it that they will not even cover the labor as they would have had I given the OK for builder's standard.

I had this company for years until 2016 when we sold our last home. On a year and a half, they added the words "builder's standard" and refused labor, even if I purchased a better unit. Then, there is no one to talk to who does not give the standard, trained, robotic response. They’re great at collecting your funds, but what used to be good has become horrible in both the service they provide, as well as poor in customer service.

Arrived at my home to find that the hot water heater was blowing water out of the top of water heater. I contacted the warranty company and was told someone would service water heater within 2 to 3 days. Explained to call center office I needed it repaired sooner as I had no water. A representative from Ideal services arrived 5 hours later and stated I needed a new water heater. He did bypass the water heater and would need authorization from warranty company.

Next day contacted Ideal services to find out when they could replace water heater, I had received work order # from warranty company. They explained that warranty company had to send them authorization. I called the warranty company call center which is located in El Salvador. Informed that I would have to pay $685.00 to have water heater installed. Apparently the warranty covers the water heater but not the installation. Bait and switch price gouging. Warranty company sent me a check for minimal amount. Did not cover price of water heater. Very dissatisfied with service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

So far, things have been good with First American. They were a recommendation of our realtor, who we enjoyed working with. Filing a claim through the phone has been a very smooth process and this is the third claim that we filed. However, it has taken a few days for them to get back to us and haven't heard back from anyone yet. The problem has already resolved itself so I need to cancel the claim. But everything they’ve addressed up until now has been done in a very timely manner and on the first visit. Once we get a contractor assigned, it happens pretty quickly. Each time, the contractors have been very professional. I’ve had no complaints at all. I like the efficiency of using their phone system. I would like to learn more about doing claim on their website if that's possible. I may not have been paying attention when we first signed up. That’s the only thing that I would want to pursue in the future.

I've had positive experiences with all my claims with First American Home Warranty, even though the contractors are a little slow to call us to schedule so sometimes I would do it myself. Ordering parts is a slow process as well, but that is out of First American's control. For the most part, the contractors have all been great though. They did a great job, especially for the last ones that I've had. The same company kept coming out for my washer and dryer, microwave and icemaker. I enjoy having the comfort of having the warranty and knowing that if anything breaks, I can make the phone call to have it fixed. I've had a great partnership with First American and I've recommended them to quite a few people.

Resolution In Progress

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

My wife & I have a home warranty through this company, and the warranty itself isn't worth the paper it's printed on. We bought a home 1/2017 from a major manufactured home company. It was a repo they purchased and allegedly refurbished. Regardless, the seller gave us a home warranty through this company. We've filed three claims, and not one of them have been paid, but rather, denied. The most recent claim was earlier this week for an electrical panel that blew up. Our plan says it's covered, however, they denied the claim because the panel isn't in the home or attached to the structure; it's the master panel on the pole below the meter.

At the same time, we filed a claim for a problem with our septic system. They denied it as they said we don't have septic coverage. When I asked why it was included in our coverage book, they wouldn't directly answer, but rather, continued to say it would be added if we wanted, but it wouldn't cover this issue. Lastly, we filed a claim in June as our A/C wasn't cooling. They sent out a technician and then promptly refused the claim because they called the issue a "maintenance" problem.

We bought the home in January 2017 and it hadn't been used for years beforehand. I explained we recently bought the home and asked how could we be responsible for maintenance, etc.? Regardless, they denied it. Mind you, I not suggesting you not purchase a home warranty from this organization, but rather, read what's happened to us and make your own, informed, decision. Lastly, I've attempted to supply a copy of the email I was sent at the time this claim was filed, but it will not allow me to upload it here.

I bought a home a couple of years ago and the home warranty that I went through with the insurance company didn't want to renew me. So, I had to research for a new home warranty. I liked that First American has a comprehensive plan that would cover most of the main things that I know I can't do by myself so I went with them. I've been with them for over a year now and submitting a claim was easy. I just go online and put in my request then the claim is taken care of within three or four days. Also, the technicians have all been professional and nice. If they didn't resolve the problem or they had issues, they were right on top of it. And they would come back and say, "We've got it fixed. Here's your problem." They explain the problem thoroughly so that I would understand it and if it happens again, I’d call them and they'll come and resolve it. First American is a company that’s very professional, polite and easy to work with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a homeowner and I needed home warranty protection. I did some research by word of mouth and First American Home Warranty was the one I determined to use as the best. Submitting a claim online was fine. My interactions with both the customer service and the claims representative were fine as well. The contractor that came out was a good company. The technicians were able to do what they needed to do and got everything taken care of. The work done was very much to my liking and it was just as I wanted it. They brought the appliance back to its original state, like it was in the beginning. My experience with First American was great and I'm glad I have them.

I switched to First American Home Warranty because their warranty was cheaper than that of American Home Shield. It was very easy to submit claims with First American. Their technicians came out here two or three times and it was good each time.

First American Home Warranty is a customer service oriented company. I had them on my last property and I had a decent service with them so I've kept them when I purchased my home over 12 years ago. Their claims process was simple and streamlined. I've had positive interactions with their reps and technicians and I've been satisfied with the quality of work they've performed.

We bought a house and our real estate agent got First American Home Warranty for us. Submitting a claim has been great. The contractors called back when they were supposed to and then they came when they were supposed to. The quality of work is good and I’m satisfied.

My live-in partner, Loni, had First American in his home. Stuff started happening and we were calling little contractors and I asked him why didn't he go back and get his home warranty. So, I looked at First American’s details and it seems like it will be a whole lot cheaper to have it than be dealing with the little people around the corner because they charge a lot. And if something major happens, it would be a fortune. I set it back up for him so we wound up getting it and we're thankful for it because if we're going to have a microwave, refrigerator and the hot water heater fixed.

The hot water heater was a little bit of a drama because the policy went out on the 4th of July and it was a month by the time we got it fixed. I have to make an appointment and then that person didn't come out for a minute. And then, when they came out and checked it, a part has to be ordered. They forgot what the serial model number was. So, they called me to get it again to give it to First American. We didn't know that we had to call First American to order the part. But I happened to call because we called about it on Tuesday, and it's Thursday and I haven't heard from anybody, and the girl said that they were waiting for us to call them. The part was ordered that Friday didn't get there 'till a week later. And then, we had to wait another half of a week for them to come back and put it in. It was a long process.

Nonetheless, the company did a good job putting it in but it seemed like we were without hot water for a whole month and we were lucky that the part they ordered worked the first time. But nobody seemed to know what was going on. Their claims rep put me on hold to find out what's happening. I felt when the part was ordered, somebody should have called me back. The person said the part would be there that Monday so when the company that was doing it didn't call me, I called them and they were saying that they have to go through their emails and they set me up for an appointment that Friday. They usually call to say they're on their way so when I didn't hear from them, I called them and they said they can't find any appointment for me. They realized the part wasn't there and canceled the appointment, but they didn't tell me they were canceling. And the part didn't show up Monday like the claims person said it would.

It was one miscommunication but we've always had good service before that. Everything was done on time and we knew what was going on. And this time, things were falling through the crack. When I did talk to somebody, they were going to have a manager call me but no manager ever called me and it's how all that went down. Nevertheless, the technician did well with taking care of the issue. First American is a good company and I'm glad that we went ahead and applied because it really worked out. Considering all the things we've had wrong, it was the first time we had a bad experience. But we got hot water and I'm good.

First American Home Warranty has been prompt about getting contractors out here so I renewed with them year after year. Submitting a claim is easy when I do it online. Everything in their website is clearly labeled and easy to find. The representatives are very friendly but sometimes I have to wait a long time to speak to one. The technicians have always been friendly and their quality of work is good. But I understand that in some cases I have to hire someone that I'll pay for myself and not within First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This company (FAH) doesn't have 24/7 back up contractor for emergency situations, so company or management team should not claim that you can resolve the problem in 24 hrs in the case of emergency. And I think it's not fair to any customer to wait this long (in my case more than 24 hrs.), anyway I asked for the service I paid you for, not that you were providing service for free. Very bad experience with this company, hope management could see these conversations and I would urge other customer who are thinking to go with this company for their home warranty. Please think more than twice before you proceed with them as they don't have any 24/7 emergency back up team, neither they have any integrity in what they promise to you at the time, you filed the claim for the services.

I called several times and begging for service as we have 2 year old kid at home and we were worried as inside house temperature was more than 90. So, I found and called a company on the weekend and guys came, evaluated the problem, recommended what's need to be replaced and fixed it. I then went ahead and cancel my request with this company. It was all waste of time and effort with mental agony. So, please think more twice before you proceed. And, here is the kicker--- when you call them and ask, why the claim hasn't been resolved yet? They will reply as follows- (emergency service contractor is assigned, contractor will contact the consumer in 8 hrs from the time you created the claim and problem would be taken care off/resolve within 24 hrs.)

1) We are trying to contact another contractor and will resolve it soon (Note: Even you filed claim as an emergency. In my case - I have 2 year old at home and inside house temperature was more than 90 degree F, those 24 hrs was a nightmare for our family). 2) You don't know how home warranty works. --- Really??? 3) If they have no proper answer to your question, they will reply you as "do you want cancel your warranty". And so on. 4) When you ask for their extension in order to reach directly to them because you don't want to go through all the explanations of the situation or problem, they will give you wrong extension number (as they did in my case. When I called back and asked to transfer the call to mentioned extension, guess what the guy other side told me. This was not their "extension in their calling system".) 5) It was long holiday weekend that is why it wasn't taken care. "If you want we can reopen your claim and someone will go and look at it". 6) We will not reimburse you for the service you had from other contractor as we didn't approve you for 2nd option.

Not a professional at all, company doesn't know what they are claiming for their service as service provider. Had there been negative stars I would have given that. Unfortunately, there is no any option available for that. Question comes to my mind - when we have the warranty we have to pay on time before the midnight of the expiration date, otherwise services are not covered. On the other hand, when it comes to providing the service then it is going to be according to their availability not according to our urgency. Why??? In the terms of Steps of Service this company (FAH) can't "connect genuinely, compassionate customer care, own the experience, excellence and stewardship".

The home warranty company never resolved the electrical issue we had in our home that impacted not having air conditioning for two weeks. Finally, the company authorized me to fix it on my own to a limit of $150. The cost to repair was $575 and the warranty company refused to pay the cost even after speaking with the electrician. I am canceling all the contracts we have in the other homes we own and further will not encourage anyone in our real estate business to use the company. Very disappointed.

First American Home Warranty Company Profile