2. Homeowners

3.7/5 (571 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

Pros

• Termite coverage
    • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
    • Pest control coverage

Cons

• Cancellation policy
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got ...

Verified

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the ...

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
    • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $50 to $100, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
    Basic$25
    Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
    • Ceiling fans
    • Garbage disposal
    • Instant hot water dispenser
    • Microwave (built-in only)
    • Trash compactor
    • Electrical
    • Garage door opener
    • Plumbing system
    • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: June 28, 2021

I submitted a claim and I was dealing with a business that was very difficult to get to come out. First, they couldn't see me for a week and a half. Then, I agreed to a phone call, but it didn't get through. I offered to set up a Zoom and they said they didn't do that. They offered to come out on Saturday and told me on the phone that they'd be here at 12:00 to 5:00. The next day, I received a text that they would be there from 3:00 to 6:00. So, I assumed the text was the most recent as that's usually how it works. I was home from 2:00 to 7:00 and there was no way to get them because it was a Saturday. When I called up, they said I was supposed to be at home from 12:00 to 5:00. But I told them that they sent me a text about coming at 3:00 to 6:00.

Every other company that First American sent me had it together as far as they called and the person who'd be coming would give a 30-minute notice. But this contractor was really rude. You're waiting 30 minutes for them to answer the phone just to be spoken to poorly and I don't think that's who First American is. Then, it took them a while to set up another appointment. I had to get the home warranty involved and they ended up coming. But when the tech was here, he said that I had a faulty motor on the refrigerator and water damage. I told him that I've had that water damage since I've moved in but the water was not hooked up. He insisted that it was hooked up, but I asked him to look and he said I was right.

Then, when he talked to First American, he told them it was water damage. There was nothing in writing and First American didn't even bother to follow up. I just got a phone call saying it was not covered. I really felt it became personal that I had complained about them. It was a little suspicious in the sense that the refrigerator had been working fine. There was no more water damage because it had been disconnected for 10 years. It was really frustrating to me more so that no one even bothered to follow up and didn't read red flags. I also didn't like that a technician could leave and tell me one thing, and there was nothing in writing and then he'd say something else. The bad part was, no one wants to go without a freezer for a month, and that was what ended up happening. And I just ended up buying another refrigerator.

Other than this incident, for the most part, my experience with First American has been really great. The electrician that they sent was amazing and went above and beyond. I really loved him. Overall, I've been really happy. It's just they shouldn't be dealing with companies like the one I had for the refrigerator. If I have to wait longer than a week for an appointment, then it should be next company or give me another option.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Paula for your review.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2021

We had an issue with the blower motor for the air handler for the air conditioning. I called First American Home Warranty. It’s irritating that it usually takes about a week to get somebody out here. That's nuts when you got terrible heat. Somebody came out and they ordered the blower motor. It came a few days later, so now we're up to 10 days, and then they installed the motor. It worked, but it had to be the wrong motor because it made a whole lot of racket inside the house when the blower was running. Then one day, it decided not to work anymore. I called back up and I said, “Hey, this blower motor is not right.” So, they sent out a different company. A technician came in and looked at it. He said, “No. This is bogus. This thing is a universal motor they put in there. It's not the right one.” They got the right motor, put it in, and the thing has been whisper quiet and very efficient ever since. So I'm happy chappy with that episode.

Two months ago, my refrigerator freezer just quit. I called up, then I went online to answer the thing as well. They had a problem apparently of getting some sort of appliance technician. The one that's normally used was Sears, which is like a generic service company. They operate on all of appliances and I know that they've got access to all sorts of parts. It was 10 days out after I called that they would first send somebody out. And I thought that's totally unreasonable to have no refrigerator or freezer for 10 days. I'm not going on a 10th camping trip someplace. You lose a whole lot of perishables and everything else, which is not your fault as a company. They explained that. They're not liable for it.

I called back and I said, “Hey, is there somebody else that might respond sooner?” The next thing I get is an email and it said, “This company should be calling you.” It was four days rather than a week. So this other company came, and I thought, “Well, it wouldn’t knock you over as far as having a piece of equipment, like a truck, a spiffy uniform and all the rest of that stuff.” But the tech did have a shirt with his company name on it and a proper ID. He knew his business. He came in and inspected everything for about 45 minutes. He said, “Now, I gotta call for parts and get approval from First American.” The next day, he came back and he had a little part. He finally sourced out the proper part that fits in between, so it was actually two parts. He came back two days later because the weekends had come in between, and stores are closed. He installed it, and it's been running beautifully ever since.

First American Home Warranty's policy does what it says it will do. I understand we've got COVID and everybody's supply chains are screwed up and a lot of people don't want to work so available service people are maybe hard to find, but it worked out for me. I had paid Sears with a credit card for the owner portion of the bill, and it's 75 bucks and that was soon returned to me by home warranty. First American has taken care of my appliance issues. The cost is fair, and I'm happy.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Robert for your review.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I feel very comfortable with First American. They've done a good job. Dealing with Sears or any appliance repair has been difficult. The technicians are great but not the coordination of appointments and the communication back and forth about when they're going to be here. They canceled several times on us without telling us for sometimes, the right reason and sometimes, no reason. Parts have been difficult to get. Once they got here, things have gone fine. It's just that it took five weeks to get our dishwasher repaired. The parts were here, and the communication back and forth between First American and Sears was really difficult. I called and checked up on things and said, “Are everything good to go for our appointment this week, everything good tomorrow?” Then they didn't show. I called and asked if they were you coming. They said, “Oh, no, no. There's a problem with the part.” I checked three times.

First American came with a seller's warranty, and we enhanced it with just about every coverage that they offer. I had no experience with home warranties before, and we are so pleased that it came with the transaction of the house because we had a lot of things go wrong. I realized how the relationship worked and how helpful they can be and what the limitations are and understanding that, and they were very good about explaining all that on each situation. My experience has been great as far as having a home warranty with First American. I would definitely recommend it to other folks. I don't know what we would have done if we didn't have it. It's just that self-assurance that, maybe not everything would be covered, but it's either going to get repaired or replaced, and it limits your out-of-pocket stuff.

Sears aside, everybody else has been really professional, communicated very well and showed up on time. We had York Mechanical Services and they were fantastic. It was a difficult situation because our heat pump and air handler went. That was a big expense. Everybody kind of worked together to minimize the risk. First American helped as much as they could on even some of the not covered things. They we're supposed to be repaired, and it didn't happen because they replaced it. Then we got a cash out value, which lowered our liability even further. They really worked with us to do the right thing by us even though we've had a lot of service request, and we're kind of a nightmare client.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Brian for your review.

Original review: May 2, 2021

Everything's going great now with First American. I recommended them to my friend and he signed up but I don't know what happened to the $25 referral fee if they put it on my account or not. I just had a good service yesterday from the plumbing company, AJ Bono, and I was calling First American back because I wanted the guy to come out again to look at the sink. I forgot to tell the plumber about it and they told me to call First American to kind of give them an update if he's gonna come back. Other than that, it hasn't had any problems since.

We had a little bit of an issue when it came down to the air conditioning last year. When I first signed up with First American around April last year, it was a series of things. I made a report that our heater and air wasn't working. First American sent somebody out and the guy didn't know how to do the work. He said we needed a specialist to deal with our air conditioning situation. First American sent another company out. They said they could do it but I needed a lot. It had something to do with the condenser, the hoses and the airflow wasn’t going right, etc.

Several companies came and couldn't do it or didn’t specialize in it. One company, Eco-Pro, could but when they came out to do the work, they noticed that there was mold in the wall when they took out the system. They said that they couldn't do the work until the mold is removed. I got a contractor to remove the mold then I contacted Eco-Pro back. They came out and was saying I needed to provide them with a certificate that it's been removed. I took some pictures and showed them that it was removed. Nobody told me that I had to provide them with a certificate that it’s been removed. I told them to forget it and that I was going to go somewhere else and would be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Before you know it, they said they'd go ahead and accept it. It was the whole summer we didn't have air. The whole winter, we didn't have heat. It was a disaster. We live in Suisun City in a really hot area. They fixed it but it was a lot of going back and forth.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Cynthia for your review.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

The seller of the condo that we bought had purchased the home warranty through First American, and so we've just been turning in some things that were deficient with the condominium. We found problems since we’ve moved in. Everything's been good so far. We had a problem with the garbage disposal and that got fixed rather quickly. The guy came out and said he wouldn't be able to repair it so he had to replace it. He replaced it very quickly. I was really pleased with that guy because he was pushing up against the window where the store was going to be closed where he had to buy the garbage disposal from, and he went and got one, made it there right before they closed, and then came back six o'clock in the evening and installed it. So, I was pretty happy about that.

We did have some issues with the refrigerator. That was another experience we had and initially, it took a while to get the guy from Sears out. Then when he came out, he said he'd have to order parts so he ordered some parts and then he came back about a week later to install them. He installed them, and this is a condo where we're not there all the time. It's a second residence for us. He said he had everything fixed. Then when we got back to the condo, it obviously wasn't fixed because the icemaker wasn't making ice and the freezer still wasn't freezing anything. We had to throw food out that was in the refrigerator because it had gone bad.

We had to get the second guy to come out, and he said the compressor was bad. The refrigerator was completely different than what the first guy fixed. He was going to turn the information in to First American. The decision that First American made was to go ahead and replace it, but it took a couple of weeks to get that guy to come out to be able to see what was wrong. When he came out, it probably took two more weeks before they could finally get somebody and replace the refrigerator. We were without a working refrigerator for the first two months of being in a condo and we were having to buy two bags of ice a day and try to keep our food from spoiling and try to ice things down. So, it was a little bit of a pain there. But that was our only negative experience with them in the long run. They replaced the refrigerator for us, which was nice.

In the long run, I was pleased with the service that we've gotten. If I was recommending the thing, I would tell somebody to be patient and that things don't happen right away. But that's all part of the process. The refrigerator was a little bit aggravating because my wife was ready to just throw the thing out in the parking lot and go buy another one, but I'm glad we waited because they eventually replaced it. But two months without a working refrigerator is kind of bad. It was cool but it wasn't keeping things cold.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I inquired about the price of an upgrade of my policy upon renewal in February!! The representative wasn't able to tell me and was very short in her answer. I have not made any claims but was inquiring about the Premium.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

In February I had a plumbing leak. Called and finally (2 weeks) got sch’d for service but they were a no show after I waited all day. When rescheduling I was told there are no plumbing companies near me. I live in Lee’s Summit, Missouri-REALLY? Anyway I was told if I get my own plumber they would reimburse me. I asked friends and got a plumber out. He did the repair and I then tried to get reimbursed. Denied due to service was not prior approved. OH YES IT WAS! Anyway I didn’t want to waste good energy on this since times are tough everywhere right now anyway. Started to have drain problems in the kitchen sink. Called FAHW April 21st. Took over a week but a plumber came out. He pushed compressed air twice from right sink (left sink was problem?), anyway- he said this should do it. That evening- still not draining. I called and asked if they could come back out and snake the line.

One week later he arrives and said he can only snake 10-15 feet because that’s as far as his machine goes. He looked at clean out area and said he couldn’t remove the cap since I have a finished basement and couldn’t risk getting it on the carpet. After he left I filled up the left sink to check. Exactly the same as before. I called and said I would like a different tech to evaluate. One more week later the “SENIOR TECH’ came and was there five minutes, did nothing except said he would need to come back and run a degrease drain crystal solution down line. Thought he meant today, but one more week later he arrives and does this treatment down the RIGHT sink and as he is doing this he notices that the drain basket is cracked. He said this could have broken when the compressed air was done and he will have to come back to fix this.

After a week I called the company again to let them know the drain treatment didn’t seem to help. One week later he comes back and changes out the drain basket. At this time I discussed the need to please look at the left side of the sink drain since this has been the problem area since the beginning. He takes a quick look under the sink without touching anything and says that the problem is that the garbage disposal needs to be replaced. He leaves and the following week he comes back and changes out the garbage disposal. I am finally relieved. HA.

The following day the sink was draining as slow as usual. At this point I give up.. Until two weeks later and the sink is worse! I call FAHW and request to have different plumbing company to get fresh eyes on this problem. They ok this and a couple weeks later a plumber arrives and runs a snake much farther down line. He said this should do the trick. I thought so until a few days later and it’s awful again. Called them again and they came out days later and said I have a blockage. I told him that I had requested to have a camera ran four months earlier and at every service call since. No one wanted to do this.

The following week they had one of the owners in the company come and I thought he was going to run the camera. Apparently not, he immediately starts in on how they will need to cut through my basement floor, replace pipe etc. I told him to send me an estimate on what my part would be. I receive this email and it’s almost $5,000, and I wonder what was your cost they submitted for payment? I called FAHW and asked for a second opinion and really wanted the camera ran to make sure this was definitely the problem. FAHW said I had to use this company. I immediately called Joe ** the plumber that repaired my previous plumbing problem. I knew I would be paying for this AGAIN on my own, but for peace of mind I had to go with my gut feeling.

The following day Joe arrives- LISTENS TO ME and then looks at every area thoroughly. Then tells me there is no blockage. The problem is right under the sink.. He began repair and completed in one hour. Charged me $200. That has been three weeks ago and problem is solved. This all began in April and it is late August. FIVE MONTHS!!!! WOW, FAHW You should hire competent service companies from the beginning. In the long run it would save you money and have long term customers who refer others. In this case- Fool me once- shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Well I’ve learned my lesson. Your warranty service cost me over 10 days work and way too much stress to recommend you to anyone!!!!

Hello Rinda

Our records confirm that we did request a copy of your contractors invoice on 08/27/2021 to be reviewed for possible reimbursement. At this time, we have not received it. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I have been in Real Estate for 20 years. I used to suggest to my customers to utilize their Home Warranty plan, but no more. I have a Home Warranty on a property I own and the A/C went down. The vendor they chose came out and said the system needed to be replaced. So you would expect the Home Warranty company to get a quote from the vendor and order the equipment. Well none of that happened. I have over 20 hrs invested in phone time to get nowhere. After two weeks and getting nowhere they offered to do a cash buyout. I thought this is great. I will get bids from a more local company.

When I received a cash out offer of $1700 for a HVAC system that would cost me over $8,500 (my best bid), I said go ahead and replace it. Two weeks later I am going back and forth between a vendor that says First American has not contacted them in two weeks and First American saying they are contacting the company. I am left in the shuffle. They keep saying they are escalating the issue. I would suggest dealing with another Home Warranty client. I bet I referred at least 50 clients through the years to them and no more. Good luck and Caveat Emptor.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

1) There no easy way to communicate with them. No emails, no chat option, no online tools to communicate.

2) The customer care line is always busy, you have to be on the line for more than an hour to talk to an agent.
      3) They sent an unqualified contractor who made the problem worse.

4) They close the service request without any solution whatsoever.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

UPDATED 9/10/2021: Have the claim in for a month. Missed 2 days of work. Still no dishwasher!!! Very disappointed with this company!!! Waste of money!! No one will call me back. 1st American should follow through with their customers. Someone needs to call me back!!!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: No one calls to set up delivery. Showed up to delivery the dishwasher with no notice. I was at work so didn't get it. Reset delivery date and they were supposed to call on Friday 9/3/21 to set up time for Tuesday delivery. Again no call!!!

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
      Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
      Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
      Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
      Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
      Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
      Septic tank system $500
      *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
      2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
      3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information