3.7/5 (349 ratings)
29 states
View Plan
Call Center Open

About First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

Pros

• Termite coverage
    • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
    • Pest control coverage

Cons

• Cancellation policy
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Verified

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got ...

Verified

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the ...

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
    • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing ranges from $38 per month to $48.50 per month. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee is $85, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
    • Ceiling fans
    • Garbage disposal
    • Instant hot water dispenser
    • Microwave (built-in only)
    • Trash compactor
    • Electrical
    • Garage door opener
    • Plumbing system
    • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

First American is always on top of everything and they're always great at communication. I also have no issues with the monthly fee that I have to pay since it comes right out of my account. But the company that was chosen for my last claim, Eagle Eye, was terrible. They sent a serviceman out who was in and out in less than three minutes. He took a couple of photos, and said that they had to order the part to my washing machine and would get back to me. So weeks went by, then all of a sudden I got another phone call from them saying they were ready to schedule to come out and service my washer. So I thought that they had received the part and was coming to fix my washing machine.

But the same service man came back, took apart my whole washing machine, took pictures of it, and said that he had to order the part then someone would be back at me. I told him that we was just here a few weeks before, that this time I thought he brought the part with him, and that he was putting it in. I also told him that it had been almost a month already. He then asked if I had the part with me. I told him that I didn't have it and asked why would I have it. He then said that First American Warranty did not allow them to get the parts and that they send them directly to the customers. Also, when I asked him if he remembered me and what he did the last time he came out, he said he didn't.

I then asked him how long would it take to get the part and he answered that it could be anywhere from two to three weeks. So, I told him that I needed him to put my washing machine back, because it was working fine. I just needed him to fix the button that seemed to have a short. He then said that once he took apart the washing machine, he couldn't put it back. So, I had to go almost three weeks without my washing machine. Then they got the part mailed to me, and once I got it, I had to schedule for the tech to come out which took another week. By this time, I filed a complaint with Eagle Eye. They apologized and said that they would send out a new service man. The new service man came, installed the part, and I have had no issues since then.

First American Home Warranty response

Terry, We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! It is wonderful to know that we have been able to successfully communicate updates to you. We are disappointed however, to know that you experienced a delay with your claim and was not satisfied with the service of the first contractor assigned to assist you. We are glad that a new technician was able to be dispatched and your claim successfully resolved. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

First American has always been responsive to us. We used it once last year. Unfortunately, we didn't use it the second time because we were out of the country and I got a thing about doing my air conditioner. I thought, "Well, we'll wait till we get back to do it because there won't be anybody to open the house." The day we got back, we found out that it was one day late to call to get this air conditioner seasonally serviced. We used them one time and the experience was very good, and that's partly because of the company that they use. We got home after driving 18 hours and we had no water in our house. We couldn't flush toilets, we could drink because we had bottled water, but we couldn't shower.

We called and they said they would answer me back in 72 hours. I called them and said, "We're senior citizens. We really need this." The rep said, "I can't send somebody on Sunday, but I will call the very next day." The kid came early in the morning and he said he could do the repair, but he was gonna need to dig up my yard. He called the company and said, "I know that there's other stuff set up for me for the day, but I'd like to stay and finish this job for these people, even if it takes all day." This was in Texas in the hottest summer. They gave him permission to do it and he was here for at least five hours digging up a stone-hard ground because we're in droughts in Texas. He said he went and bought what equipment he needed and brought it back and was very good. We were very impressed with him. If I had gone the regular route, it would have been 72 hours before they even contacted me.

Earlier this week, we had somebody come to do our heating system. The guy got here on time. He might have been here for 20 minutes because it was outside my house and was in my attic. My husband went with him and the only thing he told him was, "Everything looked good and you should be fine." He didn't give him any kind of piece of paper saying, "I checked this or this or this or this." He had to turn on our system and had to wait about 10 minutes for it to get from cool to heat as far as the temperature coming up in my house.

He waited until he could see that it was coming up and didn't shut off. My husband asked him, "Well, do you need some vinegar to pour down the little clean-out spout that's up there?" He said no, but told him it was best to go ahead and do that at least twice a year. We should put the vinegar in the boiling water down then and that cleans out that pipe that the drainage goes through. He was polite and knowledgeable. There was no real repair of that, but it was just a system check before we turn on our heat, which could be in December or January.

First American Home Warranty response

Marian, We appreciate you taking the time to share your full experience with us! It is always great to hear when our customers are provided excellent service. We know how many choices you have when deciding on a home warranty company, and we are glad you chose us.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

First American is fine. They've done good by me so far. They've replaced the stove that was bad. They helped me with my water heater problem and getting that replaced when it died. As of late, they had someone come out and repair my dryer. But I was having a problem before. They had Sears as the contractor and they were worthless. They came out to fix my air conditioner and did nothing. It was like talking to a wall. I had to tell the tech what was wrong with the air conditioner and I know nothing. The only way I knew was because my daughter-in-law had the same problem and she was told what it was and they fixed it immediately. This Sears guy knew nothing.

The second time he came out, he said, “I can't find what's wrong with it. Just shut the air conditioning off and leave it off for a day, and then turn it back on. And it should work fine. It'll reset itself.” I live in Florida. It was summertime. I told him what the issue was with my daughter-in-law. He went out and checked it. He said, “Well, yeah, it does look like this piece needs to be replaced.” So when he replaced it, it worked. But I shouldn't have had to tell him. He should have found out the issue himself. When I called in for the air conditioner this year, I hoped that First American wasn't gonna send Sears. They sent a local company and the tech knew what the problem was and fixed it in one day. So I'm glad they're no longer sending Sears. Also, if they would lower their service charge a little bit, it would be better.

First American Home Warranty response

Jo-Ann, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us! It is wonderful to know that we have been able to be there when you have needed it most. We appreciate your continued trust in us.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

My friend's daughter referred First American to me. She said the company was good. I signed up and I paid the whole year for my plan. After that, I could not contact the sales guy anymore to ask questions. His phone is directly going to voicemail. I left a message and he never called me back. It's terrible. After the referral, there is supposed to be a $25 reward for Amazon. I called about that and was told it would take 90 days to get the reward thing. That already passed and when I called back again, the guy said I had to go to a website. I thought they automatically sent it to the person who made the referral. I was really upset about all this.

When my washing machine made a funny noise, I filed a claim. The service company Home Appliance Solution responded very fast. They called me the next day or the same day, and they schedule the service. Somebody came to look at the washing machine. He then ordered parts for me. The request was on June the 21st and they were done by July the 5th. It was very good. I really liked whoever owns the place. But with my second claim, I had a little problem. A tech came by yesterday, did something for me, and finished half of something. He will be coming back next week to finish the work. That aside, First American is good.

First American Home Warranty response

Juliana, Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! Please know if you should need us, you are more than welcome to reach out through our Customer Service number or online through our Homeowner Center. We did check on your gift card and we do see that this was issued to the email provided. We recommend to check your spam box, just in case. It is wonderful to know that we were able to resolve your washing machine claim for you. We will continue to be here for you should you need us in the future.

Original review: June 30, 2022

The coverage plan at First American is good. They've been very easy to work with. We've had to make two claims for two broken appliances quickly. We signed up in March and in April, we had a dishwasher go down. It was five days before somebody called me. I did not know that my claim had not gone through their online system. When nobody called me, I called and the lady at First American said, "I see where one was started, but it did not go through."

The technician that came out to address the dishwasher didn't have a uniform, and the vehicle was not marked. If I didn't know that I had someone coming to my home, I would have thought it was some random dude pulling up to my driveway. I had no way of knowing that that's who this was. He was proficient in what he did but with that dishwasher, that whole process was frustrating because there were multiple visits.

During the initial visit, he diagnosed the problem was a bad control board. They had to order the control board and that took five days for that part to get in. Once it got in, they called and scheduled the new appointment. He came out, put the control board in, but that didn't fix the problem. He said maybe the pump was bad so he ordered a circulation pump. When the circulation pump came in to their building, instead of inspecting the part when they got it, he waited until he was at my house to put it in to open the box and discover that it was broken. It added one unnecessary visit and also added seven days to that process, waiting on a new part. Plus, I'm having to take time away from work to wait on them to get to my house.

This last time on the refrigerator, we submitted on a Thursday and a lady called me on Saturday. They were assigned quickly. When you make a submission through First American, it will say who is going to come work on appliance then it's up to that provider to reach out to you and schedule the time. The contractor for the refrigerator was supposed to come this morning to put the part in. But I got a call this morning and the lady said, "My guy quit. We're not going to be able to make it to your job today. But I will call you back and schedule that with you before the end of the day." She did that. She called me a few hours later and they're scheduled to be at my house this coming Friday.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

First American Home Warranty has been very good. I just call the number to call. They call and someone picks up and I say, "Can you give me the claims department?" And I take it to the claim department and tell them, "This thing is broken and I would like for you to send a handy person or a technician to come and fix it." They get my information, I pay the co-pay, and they will send me a text message or email to confirm and give me the name of the technician that they have been in touch, and tell me that the technician will be in touch within the next 24 hours or so.

One technician wanted to rip me off. When they come, you do not know too much about it. So, they tell me, "This is what is wrong or that's what is wrong." Sometimes I have to pay a bit more out of pocket. Not all of them have been truthful to come and tell me what is wrong. They always wanted to throw something else. But most of the techs have been very good.

Simon,

Thanks so much for sharing your great feedback with us! It is fantastic to know that we have been able to be there for you throughout your claims. If you ever have additional questions about the diagnosis of a claim, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

It's been a very pleasant experience with First American. They always come and fix what they need to fix, and with no issues. Their techs were really good. They fixed my washer, my dryer and my refrigerator.

First American Home Warranty response

Robin, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. It is fantastic to know that you were provided five star service!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

Having First American, I definitely don't feel stressed out when things will potentially stop working. We had the seasonal checkup on our furnace done and it was quick and easy. The contractor was very kind and knowledgeable as well. He said our unit was just dirty, so it looked older than it was.

First American Home Warranty response

Brittany, We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us. It is fantastic to know that you have been provided five star service! We know how many choices you have when deciding on a home warranty company, and we are glad you chose us.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

The absolute worst Home Warranty you can purchase. Contractors they use are THE lowest quality around. Have a request for a furnace replacement, have waited nearly THREE months, still no resolution. Contractor they sent ordered the wrong unit, still waiting now for replacement - over 6 weeks. Calls to First American go unanswered, escalations to "supervisors" either get disconnected or put into a mailbox with no return call. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS WARRANTY!!

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Sara. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience and delays you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. According to our records you placed a claim on December 13, 2022, for your furnace not functioning properly. We dispatched an independent contractor, Dunn-Rite Heating & Air (Dunn-Rite), to diagnose the failure. On December 16, 2022, Dunn-Rite recommended replacing the entire furnace due to heat exchanger being cracked and was non-repairable.

We authorized the replacement. As a result of the replacement Dunn-Rite quoted the cost of modifications to be $2,275, which is not covered by your warranty contract. Please refer to your warranty contract, Limits of Liability Number Six.

On December 17, 2022, we ordered your furnace. However, on December 26,2022, you opted for a cash payment in lieu of the furnace replacement. Unfortunately, this could not be completed until the equipment was returned to supplier and confirmation received.

As of February 3, 2023, we have processed the cash payment in lieu of the replacement of furnace in the amount of $1,197.19. Please allow 5-7 days for the processing and mailing of your check. We consider this claim closed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

They do not honor the claims submitted. Terrible customer service. I had this company for 2 years. My 1st claim was regarding my Air Conditioner inside. The compressor was leaking thru the vent inside and getting my hallway wet. It was covered. I had purchased the higher premium called: "Premier Plan". I paid my $85 deductible. They came to fix it. Then a month and a half later, same problem occurred and they told me I had to pay another $85 deductible because it happened after 30 days even though it was an existing issue that was not fixed correctly. They said they only honor same problems within 30 days!!! I asked to speak w supervisor but didn't help. That is a total rip off! I was forced to pay another $85 to have another technician come back and fix/correct the same issue.

My only other claim was regarding my 2 year new expensive Refrigerator I purchased from Home Depot. I did not purchase their warranty because I had this home warranty that covered major appliances which I paid more for, by purchasing the "Premier Plan". After tech came, he said it was a cosmetic wear & tear. I disagreed. It was a defect. Every time I opened my refrigerator door, my Freezer door would pop open which lead to finding a water leak around my kitchen floor several mornings. All they had to do was order a new Freezer door Gasket (the rubber lining that is around the inside of the freezer door) to replace the one it had, that stopped working. This company declined my claim.

This company just likes to collect our deductibles and don't have expert technicians. If anyone else experiences bad service, I have urged all of those consumers, to please post reviews on other google review sites and to write letters to the corporate office. I cancelled this company a few days ago and purchased a better warranty company that honors all claims for 6 months in case same issue arises. No questions asked, they will repair or replace the claim involved.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
      Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
      Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
      Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
      Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
      Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
      Septic tank system $500
      *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
      2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
      3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information