3.8/5 (469 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

About First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Termite coverage
    • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
    • Pest control coverage

Cons

• Cancellation policy
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got ...

Verified

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the ...

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
    • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing ranges from $38 per month to $48.50 per month. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee is $85, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
    • Ceiling fans
    • Garbage disposal
    • Instant hot water dispenser
    • Microwave (built-in only)
    • Trash compactor
    • Electrical
    • Garage door opener
    • Plumbing system
    • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: June 30, 2022

The coverage plan at First American is good. They've been very easy to work with. We've had to make two claims for two broken appliances quickly. We signed up in March and in April, we had a dishwasher go down. It was five days before somebody called me. I did not know that my claim had not gone through their online system. When nobody called me, I called and the lady at First American said, "I see where one was started, but it did not go through."

The technician that came out to address the dishwasher didn't have a uniform, and the vehicle was not marked. If I didn't know that I had someone coming to my home, I would have thought it was some random dude pulling up to my driveway. I had no way of knowing that that's who this was. He was proficient in what he did but with that dishwasher, that whole process was frustrating because there were multiple visits.

During the initial visit, he diagnosed the problem was a bad control board. They had to order the control board and that took five days for that part to get in. Once it got in, they called and scheduled the new appointment. He came out, put the control board in, but that didn't fix the problem. He said maybe the pump was bad so he ordered a circulation pump. When the circulation pump came in to their building, instead of inspecting the part when they got it, he waited until he was at my house to put it in to open the box and discover that it was broken. It added one unnecessary visit and also added seven days to that process, waiting on a new part. Plus, I'm having to take time away from work to wait on them to get to my house.

This last time on the refrigerator, we submitted on a Thursday and a lady called me on Saturday. They were assigned quickly. When you make a submission through First American, it will say who is going to come work on appliance then it's up to that provider to reach out to you and schedule the time. The contractor for the refrigerator was supposed to come this morning to put the part in. But I got a call this morning and the lady said, "My guy quit. We're not going to be able to make it to your job today. But I will call you back and schedule that with you before the end of the day." She did that. She called me a few hours later and they're scheduled to be at my house this coming Friday.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

First American has been very receptive. Sometimes, I feel like it takes a little bit of time to get through because you have to go through all the prompts, but it got a little bit better this last year. Also, if I don't get the service that I need, they're receptive in getting someone that will take care of the problem. Their overall claim process is good. My latest claim was for the backwash valve for my pool that was leaking. I needed that repaired. I did have a lot of difficulties. They had a really bad person that came out. That was the one thing I did not like. The pool repair person was not good. He tried to repair something in the back of his car, put it back on, and then a week later, it was broken again. At the very end, they wouldn't get back to me. First American finally changed them. I was glad to hear that because this other company did a lot better job.

My pool is doing much better. It was leaking so much it was degrading my cement. The other thing that upset me too was that I paid the $75, but I didn't report it right away. I lost another $75 because I needed the person to come back. After so many months, you have to let them know that it's not working, but I don't go outside to check my pool equipment.

Another thing is when I got my water heater installed, the company that did it charged me $400. I know they charged to have it taken away, but they charged me some other stuff. By the time I was done, it was expensive and I'm like, "But I have that insurance." So, I didn't understand why I had to pay the $75, then I had to pay the other thing. Then, they said they had to charge me extra for repiping and that wasn't included in my insurance. Now, my water heater broke after three months. I didn't call First American because then I'd have to pay the $75 again and it was still under warranty. If I called the plumbing company, then they're going to charge me.

So, I finally got to the company and they were not going to come because I'm so far away, but they were nice enough. They did come and they fixed it. It was some type of pilot light that went wrong. I was like, "Are you kidding me? It's not that old." That was kind of frustrating. Overall, the plumbing people that First American has are not that great.

First American Home Warranty response

Patricia, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. When we send out a contractor we want them to diagnose and hopefully repair your issue. We are sorry to hear in this case the repair was not successful. It is great to know we sent out someone to diagnose and get next steps for you. We are glad to hear this was successful. Regarding the charge of $75, this would be your service fee. As you mentioned for the water heater, these fees may have been due to haul-away as well as non-covered costs. We are happy to go over your contract with you to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I had a couple of dealings with First American and they've been pretty good. But our last claim was a little bit different. Our pool broke and it was in the middle of storming time, so there were all kinds of stuff getting in the pool and it wouldn't run. First American told me that someone would get ahold of me within 48 hours. That was the norm so we thought everything was going to go through like everything did before. Come Thursday, no one called us. We had the phone number of the people that First American referred to us to because they said we could call them if they didn't call us.

On Friday before closing, we called and no one answered so we left a message. No one returned our call. I looked up the company and the reviews were horrible. They were located three hours away from us and that was probably why they were not calling me. On Monday morning, I got on the phone with the warranty place and told their rep, "Look, this isn't right. We should have had a phone call by now. We haven't. Why are you referring someone that's three hours away from us when I live right next to Stockton?" Stockton is a big town and people in this area have pools everywhere. There had to be someone closer by. The rep said they had to send someone that they were contracted with.

I told the rep that I didn't want that company out here. She said she would see what she could do and would call me back. But I didn't get a call back on Monday or on Tuesday. I called again and said I needed to talk to someone. Our pool was a disaster and it was going to get worse and harder to clean. The rep apologized but said that they had to go through the process that they go through. But the process where someone was supposed to call me within 48 hours did not happen.

Finally, First American said that they were going to send those people out because they were the only people that they could get out. When I asked about their reviews, the rep said they don't base their reviews on Google reviews. They send people out to make sure the customers are happy and First American follows up. The contracted company ended up calling us and they were really nice on the phone. A guy called me to say he was coming and I told him that the directions here on Google Maps are really difficult and people get lost all the time. The guy showed up perfectly on time, checked things out, and fixed our pool. He knew what he was doing and I was very pleased with the service.

Things worked out very well in the end but what we had to go through to get that to happen was ridiculous. The communication was horrible. First American needs to make sure the communication is there. That's big. We've had three different instances that we used them and they did well. This one with the pool happened to be a fluke. I'm hoping our next experience is going to be a good one.

First American Home Warranty response

Denice, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We may have limited contractor options available in your area, but rest assured we do take pride in who we partner with. We are thrilled to hear that you were provided professional service and we look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

Every time we have a claim, it's less straightforward than going directly to a repair person. But we've always managed to get what we needed to be done. There was a claim that was frustrating when the freeze happened and our pool equipment wasn't covered. But then we had successful claims like when we had a dishwasher that wasn't working and a stovetop that wasn't working, and the repair person came out and fixed both at the same time. I love the fact that if I have more than one item that falls under the same repair category, it's only one visit.

The other one that was the most astonishing was when our utility room refrigerator went out and they replaced it and it was 25-years-old. The replacement wasn't exactly what I would have picked, but refrigerators are not being made like they used to. Then it was one of those where I could take this refrigerator or I could take the money. At that point in time, trying to get a refrigerator was next to impossible, so I chose the refrigerator. It took the company three times to actually deliver it, which got very frustrating ‘cause I was off of work and didn't have schedule. For two times, they didn't show up and they didn't call. Then after they delivered it a month later, I got a call out of the blue and they were trying to deliver another refrigerator. I told them that they already delivered mine.

I've had some hiccups, but those were outside of their control. One thing that is difficult is when you call them, it's going to be a long phone call. If they could institute something where they'd say that they'd call back and leave your number so that you're not hanging out on the phone waiting for them to pick up. The last time I called them, there was not that option. Other than that, it's always been a comfort to know that a big expense wouldn't come up and I could pay my monthly premiums and First American would take care of me. We had a Sub-Zero that went out, and Sub-Zeros ridiculously expensive. We didn't get anywhere near close to what a new Sub-Zero would cost, but they gave me a lot more than what any other home warranty would have given. I was able to find a built-in that we had to chip in a bit, but nowhere near what we would have had to, otherwise.

First American Home Warranty response

Lisa, We appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience. It is great to know that we have been able to be there for you over the years. While some items may not be covered, we can certainly review your plan and see if there is a need to add or adjust your coverage. We appreciate your continued trust in us!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

My refrigerator quit freezing and the refrigerated part wasn't working. First American sent a person out to check it and the person told them that it was no good. And the Freon was leaking, so they had to replace it. But getting the replacement was a headache at first, because I live in a condo and I live upstairs. The claim adjuster went to her boss and purchased a brand new refrigerator because we have the warranty to purchase a brand new refrigerator from Lowe's. And Lowe's came here, but they said the refrigerator was too big to bring up my stairs. They didn't want to do the work of taking the one here that we had out and bringing the one that she purchased. They did it twice, so they gave the money back to the First American Home Warranty.

Then, she went to Home Depot and tried again trying to find one. She told me that I could go and look myself, and if I found one, what they'd pay for the first one with Lowe's when delivered, they would give me the money and I could put that towards wherever I purchase one at. So I purchased one at Home Depot and Home Depot came out, took the old one out, which is almost the same size as the one that I had in here that went out. But it's a different brand. The one I had was a Maytag and this new one was a Whirlpool, but made through Maytag.

Now, Maytag is in another state in Kentucky, so we waited and waited. And it was a problem with getting it because they're in a bankruptcy and they combined with some other company now. So the adjuster said that she was going to close my account and they'd send the check for what they paid Lowe's for the refrigerator. It was 1,500 and some dollars, and she did send the check. So I went to Home Depot and I found one. It was 18 something, so I had to put a little bit more money toward it myself. But I have a brand new refrigerator and it's a Samsung.

She worked really hard and tried to help me a whole lot because I was without a working refrigerator for over two and a half months, from July 7th to September 28th. All in all, any time I had a problem with anything, First American has done their job. They also got me a brand new AC unit because the AC unit that came with this condo went out. And I had a brand new AC unit put in in no time. I had a water heater replaced as well and I only had to pay $500 towards that. I will not leave First American for no other warranty company. They’re going to try and say that they will lower the rates but I'll stick to the people who I know are working for their clients.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for your review Karen!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Things have broken and then they've been fixed through First American. We had a problem with the refrigerator and then with the oven. The contractors don't always show up when they say they're going to or within the window, but in the end, things have been fixed. So, it's been okay.

First American Home Warranty response

Lauren, Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us! We appreciate your patience with the contractors as they work through their appointments. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

This company is garbage, and I am on the brink of suing for breach of contract. Speaking to anyone is difficult, and if you finally end up talking to someone (after a 30 minute hold), there is a 33% (yes, mathematically 33%) chance you will be dumped back into the queue by the person who answered, only to wait another 30 minutes, minimum.

My 17-year-old water heater died. It took a week for the contractor to get to my home. Ok, fine. Then, it took another week for FAHW to order a replacement. Fine. Then, another 3 or so days for it to arrive. I get it. Then, the contractor sat on it for over a week, and he can now not be reached by either me or FAHW! Now, they say the whole process would have to be restarted with a new contractor! I've been over 3 weeks without a water heater, and the only reason it's been cut off at that long is I finally broke down and did it myself. There has been very little effort, much less any urgency, on their side to rectify this at all.

I finally bought one today and put it in myself, and I will be demanding a cash out tomorrow (mind you, I still need a new contractor to come fix what was left in disarray by the previous one). So, thank you, FAHW, for allowing me to pay you for replacing my water heater myself. Unless you simply cannot afford the cost to replace something you are certain is going to fail, stay far away from this company.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I have been trying for over a week to have a tech fix my refrigerator. Unfortunately due to the incorrect paperwork being submitted to the tech, he refused to fix my refrigerator and left. In the next 5 days I made several phone calls to both First American Home Warranty and LG to ask their assistance in getting the tech back to my home. I was assured that someone would come and now two weeks later, no one has come to fix my refrigerator. I called again and was told it was my responsibility to call LG using the phone number on the sticker in my refrigerator and take care of the repair myself. I called LG who now stated that the repair was complete and who argued with me over whether the tech already did the work or not.

Only to find out three people later that the tech was paid for the repair even though no actual work was ever done. I called First American Home Warranty only to find that the Supervisor I thought I was speaking to at LG was the same Supervisor who answered the phone at LG. I was told the complaint that I filed with both companies would be elevated to the presidential level and someone would reach out to me in 24 hours. As usual no one has called and I have no email from the tech, First American Home Mortgage nor LG for anyone to come and service my refrigerator. Unfortunately it looks like I will be buying a new refrigerator to replace the one not working and will not be renewing my contract with First American Home Warranty nor purchasing any LG products in the near future.

First American Home Warranty response

Corin, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We do apologize for the frustration but at this time we see that your refrigerator does have an extended manufacturer's warranty. We recommend connecting with them for further assistance with your repair.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I purchased my First American Home Warranty (FAHW,) contract out of loyalty to the First American group of companies. What should have been a pleasant experience, has been nothing but headache. I have two properties under contract with FAHW. Contractors not showing up, incorrect information on the customer portal, constant fight to get information about claims. To be 'somewhat,' fair, the contractors contributed to the difficulties. Poor communication, not showing up or incompetent at their job. I do understand it is difficult to find quality contractors that will work for the requested rate on the service. But that does not help me as a homeowner. When a burner on my stove failed, it took six months and three contractors to fix it. Just to replace the burner. My 'service fee,' was cheaper than the part cost, or I would have replaced it myself.

Today, I am dealing with fallout from a familiar story (from another reviewer). My HVAC 'repair,' would have required a significant out of pocket expense for an old system that needed replacement anyway. And, a contractor that would not provide any information about the repair they were proposing. After several phone calls, I got the impression they made more money off of the 'not covered,' items and went out of their way to make sure there was enough of those parts to make it worth their while. I opted for the payout option and replaced the entire system.

Shopped around, found a local contractor that replaced the entire system at a very good price and did an excellent job! However, I did submit my receipt (as instructed,) to place the new system under the existing contract. I was working directly with an individual at FAHW because the entire process had become untenable. And now they just told me the system is not covered. Where is my receipt? Also telling me I own them money for a service call, that did not happen. And, 'that is why your service requests are being canceled.' I believe these issues will be resolved, but it should not be this difficult. I have spent many, many hours on the phone trying to get answers and resolve simple issues. Untold stress and aggravation for issues that should be easily resolved. The process should not be so contentious.

That said, there have been a couple of services that were taken care of without incident. But the rate is about 50/50 at this point. Two out of four actual services were smooth. There are a couple of requests that were never fulfilled by the original contractor and both of those took months to resolve. Really, six months to replace a burner on a stove? Contractor(s) is 100% at fault for that one, but what pain to deal with. So many phone calls. Three contractors in total. I sincerely hope FAHW did not pay the first two!

Your mileage may vary. I sincerely want to recommend FAHW, but finding it difficult with all of the issues I have had to endure. Have heard the same stories from other home warranty customers, so it is nothing new or unique. Hopefully, with good feedback process and communication can be improved. I have renewed my contract, the benefits outweigh 'some' of the difficulties encountered. But I (you) must fight for your benefit, even though you are entitled to it under the contract. That is not how business should operate.

Hello Greggo,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records indicate that on July 5, 2022, contractor Sharper Service Solution (Sharper Service) repaired your oven range (311357725), no additional failures were reported after the repair.

On September 26, 2022, as gesture of good will, First American refunded the service call fee of $85.00 back to your credit card on file. Please allow 7-10 business days for the credit to reflect.

Regarding your air conditioning (311383250), our records indicate that on February 17, 2022, First American provided you with the option to accept the air handler replacement with non-covered modifications costs or cash payment in lieu of the replacement for $1,144.90. The amount included the air handler, labor to install and any applicable sales tax. The cash payment is based on First American’s negotiated rates with its suppliers and are non-negotiable, which may be less than retail as indicated in your warranty contract, Limits of Liability Number Fourteen, which states:

“Contract holder and Company may agree on payment of cash in lieu of repair or replacement. Payment is made based on Company’s negotiated rates with its suppliers, which may be less than retail.”

On February 17, 2022, you accepted the cash payment option.

Regarding the receipt for your new system, please email it directly to claimreview@firstam.com

First American considers this claim closed.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

If you are an agent, do NOT use this service for your clients. One of my clients renewed her contracted but was still able to use my credit card. Now this company will not remove my card from the account, because I no longer own the contract. This company is allowing fraudulent charges even though I am reporting them directly to them.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
      Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
      Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
      Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
      Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
      Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
      Septic tank system $500
      *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
      2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
      3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information