2. Homeowners
  3. Home Warranties

3.9/5 (639 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

Pros

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

Cons

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got ...

Verified

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the ...

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $50 to $100, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: June 28, 2021

I submitted a claim and I was dealing with a business that was very difficult to get to come out. First, they couldn't see me for a week and a half. Then, I agreed to a phone call, but it didn't get through. I offered to set up a Zoom and they said they didn't do that. They offered to come out on Saturday and told me on the phone that they'd be here at 12:00 to 5:00. The next day, I received a text that they would be there from 3:00 to 6:00. So, I assumed the text was the most recent as that's usually how it works. I was home from 2:00 to 7:00 and there was no way to get them because it was a Saturday. When I called up, they said I was supposed to be at home from 12:00 to 5:00. But I told them that they sent me a text about coming at 3:00 to 6:00.

Every other company that First American sent me had it together as far as they called and the person who'd be coming would give a 30-minute notice. But this contractor was really rude. You're waiting 30 minutes for them to answer the phone just to be spoken to poorly and I don't think that's who First American is. Then, it took them a while to set up another appointment. I had to get the home warranty involved and they ended up coming. But when the tech was here, he said that I had a faulty motor on the refrigerator and water damage. I told him that I've had that water damage since I've moved in but the water was not hooked up. He insisted that it was hooked up, but I asked him to look and he said I was right.

Then, when he talked to First American, he told them it was water damage. There was nothing in writing and First American didn't even bother to follow up. I just got a phone call saying it was not covered. I really felt it became personal that I had complained about them. It was a little suspicious in the sense that the refrigerator had been working fine. There was no more water damage because it had been disconnected for 10 years. It was really frustrating to me more so that no one even bothered to follow up and didn't read red flags. I also didn't like that a technician could leave and tell me one thing, and there was nothing in writing and then he'd say something else. The bad part was, no one wants to go without a freezer for a month, and that was what ended up happening. And I just ended up buying another refrigerator.

Other than this incident, for the most part, my experience with First American has been really great. The electrician that they sent was amazing and went above and beyond. I really loved him. Overall, I've been really happy. It's just they shouldn't be dealing with companies like the one I had for the refrigerator. If I have to wait longer than a week for an appointment, then it should be next company or give me another option.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Paula for your review.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2021

We had an issue with the blower motor for the air handler for the air conditioning. I called First American Home Warranty. It’s irritating that it usually takes about a week to get somebody out here. That's nuts when you got terrible heat. Somebody came out and they ordered the blower motor. It came a few days later, so now we're up to 10 days, and then they installed the motor. It worked, but it had to be the wrong motor because it made a whole lot of racket inside the house when the blower was running. Then one day, it decided not to work anymore. I called back up and I said, “Hey, this blower motor is not right.” So, they sent out a different company. A technician came in and looked at it. He said, “No. This is bogus. This thing is a universal motor they put in there. It's not the right one.” They got the right motor, put it in, and the thing has been whisper quiet and very efficient ever since. So I'm happy chappy with that episode.

Two months ago, my refrigerator freezer just quit. I called up, then I went online to answer the thing as well. They had a problem apparently of getting some sort of appliance technician. The one that's normally used was Sears, which is like a generic service company. They operate on all of appliances and I know that they've got access to all sorts of parts. It was 10 days out after I called that they would first send somebody out. And I thought that's totally unreasonable to have no refrigerator or freezer for 10 days. I'm not going on a 10th camping trip someplace. You lose a whole lot of perishables and everything else, which is not your fault as a company. They explained that. They're not liable for it.

I called back and I said, “Hey, is there somebody else that might respond sooner?” The next thing I get is an email and it said, “This company should be calling you.” It was four days rather than a week. So this other company came, and I thought, “Well, it wouldn’t knock you over as far as having a piece of equipment, like a truck, a spiffy uniform and all the rest of that stuff.” But the tech did have a shirt with his company name on it and a proper ID. He knew his business. He came in and inspected everything for about 45 minutes. He said, “Now, I gotta call for parts and get approval from First American.” The next day, he came back and he had a little part. He finally sourced out the proper part that fits in between, so it was actually two parts. He came back two days later because the weekends had come in between, and stores are closed. He installed it, and it's been running beautifully ever since.

First American Home Warranty's policy does what it says it will do. I understand we've got COVID and everybody's supply chains are screwed up and a lot of people don't want to work so available service people are maybe hard to find, but it worked out for me. I had paid Sears with a credit card for the owner portion of the bill, and it's 75 bucks and that was soon returned to me by home warranty. First American has taken care of my appliance issues. The cost is fair, and I'm happy.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Robert for your review.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I feel very comfortable with First American. They've done a good job. Dealing with Sears or any appliance repair has been difficult. The technicians are great but not the coordination of appointments and the communication back and forth about when they're going to be here. They canceled several times on us without telling us for sometimes, the right reason and sometimes, no reason. Parts have been difficult to get. Once they got here, things have gone fine. It's just that it took five weeks to get our dishwasher repaired. The parts were here, and the communication back and forth between First American and Sears was really difficult. I called and checked up on things and said, “Are everything good to go for our appointment this week, everything good tomorrow?” Then they didn't show. I called and asked if they were you coming. They said, “Oh, no, no. There's a problem with the part.” I checked three times.

First American came with a seller's warranty, and we enhanced it with just about every coverage that they offer. I had no experience with home warranties before, and we are so pleased that it came with the transaction of the house because we had a lot of things go wrong. I realized how the relationship worked and how helpful they can be and what the limitations are and understanding that, and they were very good about explaining all that on each situation. My experience has been great as far as having a home warranty with First American. I would definitely recommend it to other folks. I don't know what we would have done if we didn't have it. It's just that self-assurance that, maybe not everything would be covered, but it's either going to get repaired or replaced, and it limits your out-of-pocket stuff.

Sears aside, everybody else has been really professional, communicated very well and showed up on time. We had York Mechanical Services and they were fantastic. It was a difficult situation because our heat pump and air handler went. That was a big expense. Everybody kind of worked together to minimize the risk. First American helped as much as they could on even some of the not covered things. They we're supposed to be repaired, and it didn't happen because they replaced it. Then we got a cash out value, which lowered our liability even further. They really worked with us to do the right thing by us even though we've had a lot of service request, and we're kind of a nightmare client.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Brian for your review.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

The seller of the condo that we bought had purchased the home warranty through First American, and so we've just been turning in some things that were deficient with the condominium. We found problems since we’ve moved in. Everything's been good so far. We had a problem with the garbage disposal and that got fixed rather quickly. The guy came out and said he wouldn't be able to repair it so he had to replace it. He replaced it very quickly. I was really pleased with that guy because he was pushing up against the window where the store was going to be closed where he had to buy the garbage disposal from, and he went and got one, made it there right before they closed, and then came back six o'clock in the evening and installed it. So, I was pretty happy about that.

We did have some issues with the refrigerator. That was another experience we had and initially, it took a while to get the guy from Sears out. Then when he came out, he said he'd have to order parts so he ordered some parts and then he came back about a week later to install them. He installed them, and this is a condo where we're not there all the time. It's a second residence for us. He said he had everything fixed. Then when we got back to the condo, it obviously wasn't fixed because the icemaker wasn't making ice and the freezer still wasn't freezing anything. We had to throw food out that was in the refrigerator because it had gone bad.

We had to get the second guy to come out, and he said the compressor was bad. The refrigerator was completely different than what the first guy fixed. He was going to turn the information in to First American. The decision that First American made was to go ahead and replace it, but it took a couple of weeks to get that guy to come out to be able to see what was wrong. When he came out, it probably took two more weeks before they could finally get somebody and replace the refrigerator. We were without a working refrigerator for the first two months of being in a condo and we were having to buy two bags of ice a day and try to keep our food from spoiling and try to ice things down. So, it was a little bit of a pain there. But that was our only negative experience with them in the long run. They replaced the refrigerator for us, which was nice.

In the long run, I was pleased with the service that we've gotten. If I was recommending the thing, I would tell somebody to be patient and that things don't happen right away. But that's all part of the process. The refrigerator was a little bit aggravating because my wife was ready to just throw the thing out in the parking lot and go buy another one, but I'm glad we waited because they eventually replaced it. But two months without a working refrigerator is kind of bad. It was cool but it wasn't keeping things cold.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

We’ve had First American for several years and for the most part, it's working out pretty well being able to get a contractor out there, then the work gets done majority of the time, and the fact that I don't have to try to find a contractor on my own to do a job, and the fact that I'm just paying the copay on it. Usually, it gets approved quickly where they can come out and fix whatever the issue is at that time and not to have to go back and forth on it. The fact that I'm able to go online and put a claim makes it easy enough. Usually, we've had appliances replaced also where they haven't been able to fix it and we continue to have an issue. The third time, they'll actually replace it for the same features that we had.

It's nice to have the option where there's the buyout. They just give the money if you wanna upgrade on your own or whatnot. Usually a pretty fair price, so they don't lowball anyone which is nice. We've definitely taken advantage of that. It's also nice because it is wear and tear. We moved into our house several years ago and the furnace went out pretty quickly after that. First American came and replaced it. At the time, there was a little bit of a delay and they were very accommodating where they were able to provide an air conditioner unit as the temporary because they were waiting on getting the new air conditioner in. So, they usually go above and beyond to try to make sure that it doesn't disrupt things.

There were contractors that we've dealt with over the years that were just no-shows. I wish that First American cared more about if we have issues and whatnot. We had one in particular where I was sitting there waiting for the guy to call me. When we put the claim in, they gave us the claim information where we could call the contractor to come out. There was no answer and we were waiting for 24 or 48 hours, then we called First American. First American called them and couldn't be reached. That can be frustrating, and then to be able to get it reassigned to somebody else and wasting three days or five days sometimes where they would assign it to somebody else and they still keep the contractor. It just doesn’t seem like if they're doing that to one of First American’s customers, they should continue with them. So, that's just not a good business practice. Other than that, First American doesn't nickel-and-dime like other ones do.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review Heather! We appreciate your business.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 15, 2021

We received this home warranty as part of a house purchase. The house was in the desert, and the first year everything went well with the house and we had no issues. We rented out the house to a couple with two young children. After the first year, we extended the home warranty for another year. In the middle of the summer, the A/C broke and we contacted First American. The temperatures were 118F that week, and we were informed that after reviewing the original inspection report of the property, they would not replace the A/C. Why? The report stated that the AC was working, but may need Freon added at a future time.

WHAT??? It was WORKING when they inspected it and a year afterwards. They also made us wait for several days before making that determination, so we ended up shipping over a portable AC for our tenants. We ended up getting our own AC person and having them replace the AC for $5K+. First American refused to refund us, even though they would have probably paid more than $5K for the replacement unit and labor. They settled on refunding us $700.

A short while later, our electrical panel shorted out, and again we tried to get someone out to check it from First American. After a couple days wait again (still 118F weather), they made the determination that yes, the house needs a new panel, but they would not replace it either. We ended up paying for it ourselves, $2K. We also had to house our tenants in a separate Airbnb facility for several days, which also cost us $500+.

A couple weeks later, we also had another incident where the duct work in the entire house had to be replaced. This time, we didn't even bother contacting them. Waste of precious time on the phone and extremely upsetting when dealing with them. As far as I'm concerned, they need to 1) have a faster response in emergency situations - consider 118F weather with no AC and having small children an emergency. 2) Have a review of the inspection report prior to giving out warranties that they otherwise won't cover. Very disappointing experience overall.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello J. Thank you for your feedback. We have requested additional information to further review your claim.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 12, 2021

We have had First American for 11+ years. We contacted them to get our garbage disposal fixed. The company they chose to send is unreliable, shady, and thieves. They came once told us the unit needed to be replaced, took our required service fee and have not been back. We as homeowners are unable to get in touch. First American has admitted they can not get in touch but they are unwilling to refund us and unwilling to send a new contractor. First American is doing NOTHING to fix this. This is only our 4th or 5th call in the past 11 years and from our experience First American does not choose contractors based on experience, reviews,reliability or competence but solely on price. They have extremely poor customer service who do not care about the customer or customer experience one bit.

Hello Kevin,

First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records that contractor Essential Services is scheduled to replace your garbage disposal on Friday July 16, 2021 between 3pm-5pm.

Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I placed my request on June 28th for service. Received notification on the 28 from you for Chilly Willy. I called Chilly Willy on the 29th at least 5 times no answer. I then called you back and was told we have to give them 24 hr. I called the 30th (24 hrs later) Chilly Willy hit another option and was able to leave messages which I left 4 messages on this urgency for at least an appointment. NOTHING! the morning of July 2 I had a company come out and fix our air conditioner and paid them, which I should NOT have to do with paying you every month. I did hear from Chilly Willy on Friday! 5 days later not acceptable when we are in 108 to 116 degree weather!

I would like my $75 dollars refunded for NO service and would like to know who I go to get get back my $350 it cost me to have the motor fan replaced on my own? I am completely dissatisfied with First American and of course the company Chilly Willy you use. I will decide to keep you as our home warranty when I receive a response from you.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Ashton. We sincerely apologize for any delays or inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. We will review to determine reimbursement.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Emergency request should not take over 24-48 hours to resolve and yet it’s been a week and still working on getting home plumbing restored. This is very disappointing and I will not recommend to anyone unless this issue is expedited and resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Hello Eleanor,

First American apologizes for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claims and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. At this time, our records that contractor R.N Plumbing LLC (R.N Plumbing) is waiting for you to install a ground level clean out to run a camera and determine cause of stoppage. Please be advised, you must inform First American or R.N Plumbing once you install the ground level clean out in order to proceed with service.

Please be advised, First American considers your claim pending.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I've had two claims since I switched to First American a couple of years ago and it's been okay. When I make a call with an issue, they immediately process the claim and connect me with a provider. Also, I'm satisfied with the technicians they've sent out and the quality of work.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you William for your feedback!

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
    Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
    Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
    Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
    Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
    Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
    Septic tank system $500
    *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
    2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
    3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information