3.67/5
Based on 917 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

4171 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

We got First American HB Protection for my daughter's place and we were very pleased with them. The realtor told us about it and recommended a home maintenance package for single women. We had one claim for a plumbing leak after we bought the place and our interaction with the claims rep went fine. We called them and they sent out a very good plumber in two days, and the quality of work was excellent. I paid the guy $75 and he went about his business.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I've had First American HB Protection when I first got into my house and I hadn’t had problems since. They made submission of claims convenient where you can do it online and that's what I always do, and it’s much better that way. They give a claims number and they let you know who you’re going to be dealing with and who’s gonna come out. Those people usually call within 24 hours. If I have a claim today, I’d go online and pay my fee. I don’t have to worry about giving it to the service people anymore. Most of the people that they have sent out had been very good and I was grateful about that. So, I pay so much and then they pay so much and they were very kind people. So far, their performance had been really good. If the work is not done correctly, they get you someone else. You just have to let them know. Overall, I’m satisfied.

Original review: April 19, 2018

A co-worker has First American Home Buyers Protection. And then when I bought my townhouse about 14 years ago, she told me about them. I got them after that. Submitting a claim has been very easy. When I first got the warranty, I would call in. But then when I got familiar using the website, I usually submit an issue through the website. It takes about a day or two until a contractor contacts me. And there were some contractors who have called me more quickly than others. But they have always been very professional and polite. And I've had no problems with the quality of work they performed. It's all been done to my satisfaction.

The technician had to come out a couple of times for my washer. My washer would spin and drain but the clothes would still be completely wet. Once, they thought it was the motor, and then they thought it was the transmission. They had to order some parts in between. So that took a long time but after the second time the technician came out, he submitted it back to First American and they decided to replace the washer instead of continuing to repair it. They sent me a check within a week. And I bought one on my own. Then I had to go upload documentation that I had purchased a new washer so it could be covered as well. The only trouble I had was that it took me a while to figure out how to upload my documentation that I purchased a new washer. And I didn't want to buy the one that they recommended. But overall, I'm glad to have the coverage.

Original review: April 19, 2018

It's easy to submit a claim with First American Home Buyers Protection unless I want to request the certain contractor in our town. Sometimes I have to call them to do that and I can't log-in. That's a little irritating but other than that, if I fight for it, I can make it happen. I live in a small town here and I know the contractors, so I usually end up calling them myself and ask if they got the claim yet, then they'll come out. If I get a good technician, I request them again. And so far, so good. Their customer service was good for the last couple of calls I had, but the overall quality of their work has not been okay. Nonetheless, I would recommend First American.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We knew some people that were on the First American HB Protection plan and we got them by their recommendation. I typically file my claims online and it’s pretty easy. The technicians that they send are very professional and do their job. My experience with First American is so far, so good and I hope it stays that way. It's a quality company and they stand behind their work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: April 18, 2018

I've been in the banking industry for over 40 years so I knew about First American Home Warranty. I've been using them for six years for this house and eight years in my house in California. They've always done right with me and if it's necessary for me to file a claim, they make it easy. I submit my claims over the phone and they're quick to respond. The reps have been very knowledgeable and they know what department I should go to or they put in my claim the way I requested. And if it's wrong, they'd clarify it and put it in correctly because maybe I didn't know the terminology of certain things. My interaction with them has been very good. The technicians who have come out have been very good too and I haven't had any problems with the quality of their work.

Original review: April 17, 2018

After plumber repaired water leak in pipe and left a 5 foot by 5 foot hole in my ceiling 03/16/2018, I contacted First American Home Warranty to send someone out to repair the hole at least 4 times. It's 04/17/2018 and still looking at this same hole in my ceiling, not good at all. Thanks a lot First American Home Warranty.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I believe in home warranty and we've always had one. We are with First American and whenever our issue is covered, they handle it. We call them for claims since it's sometimes easier than submitting them online and because I want to talk to a real person. Our most recent claim was for a pool pump and it was straightforward. The pump was leaking and they fixed it. However, there has been a few times where we've had things that we thought were covered but then when we go back and look at the contract, they weren't covered. And so homeowners need to make sure that they completely understand what's covered and what's not and that what they're covering meets their requirements.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I needed something to protect my home from anything that could damage it. A friend of mine then referred me to First American Home Buyers Protection. Submitting a claim is very simple. I call them and they help me fill it out. I can also do it online. However, I do it on the phone and make sure I complete it right than being online. And it doesn't take long to get hold of a person. They come in a couple of minutes. The technicians usually make a call within a day and it depends on what direction before they get to my home. One came from Maryland and he was there in the nick of time. Other than that, they are excellent people and I feel very confident in the quality of work they do. Overall, First American has been outstanding to me and they were very helpful.

Original review: April 16, 2018

First American Home Buyers Protection is still working on my claim, but they are back out and they are wonderful. I like that I don't have to worry and I always have a repairman. Sometimes, I get a great agent, sometimes, however, I get a bad one. But, overall, they are good. They did not charge as much and it seems like sometimes, every year the contract goes up a little bit, but I continue to pay it because I do not want to not be without them. I have had them for 18 years and I will probably have them for another 18.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I've been using First American for about three or four years now and my latest experience with them was great. I'm a realtor and I know that systems break down. I use First American all the time. I usually submit a claim over the phone and it takes a lot of time. I recently filed a claim for a garage door spring and I had a great interaction with the technician that came out. Also, his work was excellent.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My last experience with First American went very well and things were taken care of without any issues. Their rep did an outstanding job and did it quickly. He was very good and we've had no issues in the last couple of years. I will be renewing with First American in the coming weeks.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've been with First American for two years now. They were given to me as an option for insurance when I purchased my house. I usually file my claims online and then a day or so later, someone would contact me and tell me that they’ve appointed a contractor. The contractors come by, do the work and have been nice. Then usually, First American would call back and make sure everything was done correctly and that there’s nothing outstanding that needs to be taken care of.

Original review: April 14, 2018

When we bought our house in 2008, First American was included as a home warranty for the first year that we purchased it and then we renewed every single year since then. It is an old home and we need to have some protection. We stuck with what we knew pretty much and we like First American. Also, we are satisfied with their service so we continued with them. When we've had to replace things or get things worked on, they were fair. I would recommend them if people were asking me about getting a home warranty or asking specifically about what I think of the company.

When we were first involved with the warranty company, we submitted claims only over the phone. But now, I submit online. I'm very familiar with the computer and online and I love that part of it. It makes it a lot easier. Navigating thru their website is intuitive and easy. I've filed online three times and getting a tech out was fairly quickly. Usually, it's within two days. But this last time was a bit longer than usual and it had to do with when the claim was filed. It was on a Thursday and so they didn’t have anybody available until the following Monday. It was the longest we've had to go, but it wasn't totally inconvenient. Moreover, I've always felt the technicians and the people that First American use were very informative and professional and they let us know what's going on. They provided various suggestions on running things more efficiently. I've always been happy with them.

Original review: April 14, 2018

First American was the home warranty company I had originally when I bought the house and have been with them for about five years now. Submitting a claim is easy as I just go online and submit it. It’s a lot better than what it used to be. Navigating their website is very simple too. The people that they use are great and they pretty much knock it out on the first go, but we’ve had a lot of stuff done and for some of the bigger jobs, they’ve had to come out a couple of times. Like when our washing machine was out, it took almost two weeks for somebody to come out from Sears, and it would have been nice to have a little more flexibility with getting someone else that can do the same job out sooner.

From five years ago to now, however, they changed a lot of their customer service in terms of attitude, response time and follow through. Originally, it was horrible. But over the last three and a half years, they’ve done a lot better. There’s room for improvement, but overall, they do a great job. They offer good quality pricing for the services rendered and are a pretty good home warranty company.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I’m so glad our real estate agent recommended First American Home Warranty to me. We automatically signed up as soon as we bought the house. We've had them for five years now and submitting a claim has always been great. I just give them a call and they start the ball rolling. Then we communicate through email as the work progresses. They're easy to get a hold of and I wish everybody was more like them.

The techs they've sent have all been great too. We had a problem with our washing machine last year and the guy who came was nice, friendly and very knowledgeable. The techs were also fine with the oven and knew what they were doing. Everything has been fixed and done reasonably quick--within a few days or less than a week. We had to wait the last time but that was because we went on vacation in the middle of the progress and they were going to come out the day we were leaving to go out of town, so we had to delay them. We called them up to ask if they could wait for another week, so that was on us. Overall, we've had excellent service from First American and I'd definitely recommend them.

Original review: April 13, 2018

First American has better coverage and I first heard about them through a friend. My wife takes care of submitting a claim and it's mostly done by talking with someone from First American. Their contractors usually come out quickly and the quality of their work is usually good.

Customer increased Rating by 2 stars! Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

Horrible experience with trying to get information on a plumbing coverage. I've spoke with a claims resolution manager who gave me unsatisfactory information. Upon investigating further more and speaking with somebody who supposedly holds a position above the mentioned supervisor, I received different information which was acceptable, however promises were made to me and were not kept. I hope the conversation was recorded for the purpose of reviewing it. I am very dissatisfied with the way this company is conducting its business.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Teresa,

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Thank you.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We just bought the house and we already had First American Home Buyers Protection through the people who had the house before us. We have the coverage for six weeks now and it was easy to submit a claim to them. They were also very easy to get in touch with. We've called three times and it took one to three days for someone to come out to address the issue. The people that have come out has been very professional and we've had nothing but great experience with them. When we had an issue with the leak again, I called and the same guys came out and they were nice. They explained exactly what they did and we have not had any problems since. They have fulfilled our expectations and the quality of the work was great. We were very pleased and we were talking about continuing to use them even after it expires.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We purchased a home in Arizona and the warranty with First American was offered as part of the purchase. And after my husband died, I felt that having the warranty was awesome because I was moving to a new area where I didn't know any workman. It was a good way to be sure that I got good quality workmen and that they were safe in my home. And so I kept it up when I moved here. Also, I was forced to use the house in Arizona as a rental for a while and I kept it up on that house also, and it worked perfectly for me.

I submit my claims by phone and I have always had excellent results. They give me a name of a company that will call me and they ask whether if it's an emergency. And most of the time, it hasn't been an emergency. But the one time that I did have an emergency because my roof was leaking, they had a person out within 24 hours. They always have someone respond to me within 24 hours. And I've always explained the problem to the technicians and it was silly sometimes and very easy to fix, but they were always very courteous. My most recent claim was for my garage door opener and the technician's work was excellent. First American is an all-around good company and I have recommended them to friends.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've had problems with First American Home Warranty in the past, but this time it was fine. They did a good job. The contractor was good. They were professional and they were on time. They also cleaned up after themselves.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I like First American's price. It was better than the others and I've had them for two years now. We've only put in one or two claims, but the experience was good. We filed it online and they were prompt in getting back with us. The contractors who came told me what they were going to do and what the price would be. Everything was copacetic.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have several rental properties and a home warranty will help me with the repairs. I looked at other home warranty providers but First American was better. I usually submit a claim online and their website is very easy to navigate. Their claim process is good and it takes 24 to 48 hours for a technician to come out. However, I get a lot of excuses from the technicians in getting them to submit their findings and the time it takes to get the parts to do the repairs. Sometimes they don’t tell First American what the problem is and what parts they need to order. Then they'd say it was a big backlog of getting parts but I’m not sure if that was true or not because sometimes it’s not that way with certain items. Other than that, I have no problem with First American. The quality and service are good and they respond back to me in a timely manner.

Original review: April 10, 2018

First American was convenient and I've been covered with them for two years now. I submit claims online and it's easy to navigate their website. Usually it takes 24 to 48 hours before a contractor contacts me. They're good service people and they've all been fine. I had a couple of claims recently, one for a water leak and one was for a washer repair. It took about a week for each of them to get fixed. First American is a good solid company and my experience with them has been great.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I asked the seller of my home to purchase a home warranty. My inspector noted a small leak at downstairs bathroom. Once we had lived in our home for over a month, the drain slipped in the upstairs bathroom. They are using the small leak, in a different bathroom, in a different part of the house, to call this a "pre-existing condition." I even had my inspector contact them to correct them, and it didn't matter. It is all a con! They won't even let me talk to a supervisor. They put me on hold three different times for over a half hour each time and no supervisor ever came on the line! DO NOT PURCHASE A WARRANTY FROM THIS COMPANY!!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2018

This company has no problem collecting your premium every month, but when it comes to doing the right thing, they don’t. They have contracts with horrible unqualified companies that work with them to lowball repairs or replacement to force homeowner to pay out of pocket. It is a scam at highest level.

Original review: April 9, 2018

There were big Ziplock bags in our refrigerator's freezer and the door did not shut well because of them so everything thawed out. First American got somebody out to the house in a couple of days. The guys came over and they knew what they were doing. But the fridge actually fixed itself because I just unplugged it and it reset itself. Still, I was really pleased with the service and I'd recommend First American Home Buyers Protection.

Original review: April 9, 2018

First American Home Buyers Protection was already part of my contract when I moved into the house and I've been very happy with them. In fact, I just renewed my contract with them. I’ve been pleased with their timely action to my issues and I’ve had no reason to seek out other companies. When we submit a claim, we either call or go to their website and tell them what’s wrong. And then they'd get in contact with a contractor which takes no longer than 24 hours. They’re a liaison between us and the contractor. And then we pay the contractor the $75 fee and that’s done. So far, everybody has been very helpful and knowledgeable. I had quite a few problems when I moved in and anybody that they have sent has been professional. As a homeowner, it's an important thing to have First American Home Buyers Protection. I’m lucky I have them.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I looked into acquiring a home warranty due to the age of the house and also for protection. I file claims by phone and submitting a claim to First American Home Buyers Protection was very easy and I was very much satisfied. My interactions with their reps were fine and they were excellent. I had a recent claim for the water heater and the contractor who came over was very polite. They did their job and we had the water heater replaced. If I know somebody buying a house, I'd tell them to get First American. We would definitely recommend it.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My daughter said that I should have a home warranty and based on her recommendation, I went with First American. I filed a claim over the phone for a microwave that was messing up and the process wasn’t difficult at all. The reps on the phone and the technicians who came out to fix the appliance were nice. Everything was just perfect. I did recommend someone to First American. I told her about the experience I had and that she should try them because they are really nice. So, she took me at my word.

First American Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

First American Home Warranty was founded in 1984. The company is part of the First American family of businesses, which have a long history of financial stability. The company offers different coverage plans depending on the home’s location. Consumers can see details and get quotes online.

• Extensive coverage: The basic policy offered by First American Home Warranty includes a full list of systems and appliances, many of which are typically only covered with an enhanced home warranty policy.

• High coverage limits: First American Home Warranty has high limits for most repairs and replacements, so expensive items are fully covered. The company pays up to $250 for fixing code violations and obtaining permits.

• Claims hours: Service requests can be made 24 hours per day, seven days per week by phone and online; service requests are generally filled within 48 hours.

• Unlimited calls: First American Home Warranty does not limit the number of service requests a customer can make during their warranty period.

• Service providers: First American Home Warranty screens all service providers before hiring them to make repairs in consumers’ homes. They also monitor customer satisfaction with service providers' performance.

• Best for: homebuyers, real estate agents and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First American Home Warranty Company Information