Consumer Reviews and Complaints

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for your business Sal!

Original review: July 8, 2017

Our house is going to be nine years old and I said, "Well this is the time that things can start failing." We got a warranty from First American. They're awesome and their work for us has been excellent. Submitting a claim wasn't bad. We call in and then fax in the paperwork. Their techs were very professional. They knew what they were doing and were very knowledgeable and courteous. I'm going to refer First American to my son as he owns a house as well.

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your comments Eunice! Thank you for being a loyal customer.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I was young when I bought the house and First American was the one that my realtor suggested. It was required and I've kept it. Being young and single, it came in handy. I live far from my parents so it was very beneficial to have that kind of service at a cheap price. I've had First American for 15 years. Within the first year of boarding my house, my water heater went out. At that time, it was only $50 service charge.

It’s easy when you call them to put a claim in. You can submit a claim online but I prefer doing it in person. I rarely get put on hold and it doesn't take a lot of time. My husband tried to call once and it took him longer than I normally do. Within two business days usually, I can get someone out. And sometimes sooner if we ask. In the last five years, I've had the air conditioner fixed twice and they're good. When I couldn’t get it fixed and they suggested a place that couldn't come soon enough, they were willing to look for other service providers within their area to make it speedier. It was the heat of the summer and it was nice. I've never thought about changing them because their customer service is very helpful and I've never had a problem.

The claims representatives were super friendly and nice. When things break that I'm not familiar with and I tell them what it's doing, they listen. I've never had a problem with their customer service. One time there was an issue with the house and we can't wait that long so they called around and found someone that could come sooner. The technicians are good. There was only one that wasn’t and you learn as you go. When they replaced my garbage disposal, my husband and I didn't even bother to check it out. And it was our fault not understanding the terms so I don't blame First American. He didn't install it properly. Luckily my dad came and was able to help me fix it. They didn't tighten something down and my dad knew how to do it. It wasn't a big deal. All the other technicians have done everything thoroughly and explained it. I ask a lot of questions and they were willing to answer.

It got really hot here in Texas in May and our air conditioner went out. A young man came quickly and at that time, he didn't need help doing what he thought needed to be done. He came the next day with somebody else to help figure out why our air conditioner wasn't working. He was a young guy and there's something he could have done but he just told me what to do. Because if he did it, it wasn't covered by my warranty and he'd have to charge me. It was taking some wires that had been weathered and putting electrical tape on them. When you have somebody that could have charged me something without explaining but chose to do the right thing, you can't beat that. My husband and I have been highly satisfied with everything including the people that they provide except for the time when they fixed the garbage disposal.

I've saved a lot of money over the years between two air conditioners, two heating times they had to come out, the garbage disposal, the hot water tank and the first year of living here by myself. They've also saved me a lot of heartaches. They fixed my garage once too and I have no complaints. I don't foresee ever changing and as long as I own this house I will keep them because of all that they've done. Not everyone has the same experience but I've enjoyed them. I have recommended them to a couple of ladies.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review Terry!

Original review: June 28, 2017

First American is excellent. I did some research and they look better than other home warranties and they also have a lower payout. I have been submitting my claim online and the website's easy to navigate. I have called when I made my first claim and it went fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

On May 29th, we called in a problem with our air conditioning unit. The problem appears to be that it is out of Freon and thus does not cool the house at all. At first all the approve is to just refill the Freon and assume that the problem is fixed. A month later all the Freon is gone again. First FAHW assigns the same contractor again (Greendian LLC). They come by and make the same observation as before. They reassure us that they will provide FAHW with the appropriate report. Two weeks later FAHW still claims that no report was received. So they assign a new contractor (Ecco Tec Home Services LLC). At this point an official heat warning is in effect in Washington, DC and it is frequently 90+ inside with equally high humidity (up to 80%) and in the mornings it is cooler outside than inside. We inform FAHW about this, but they do not scale up the request to expedited.

We have to press FAHW that this is needed as we have two small kids and the heat and humidity are becoming a health threat. Finally, an appointment is made for the next day for Ecco Tec to come by and make an assessment. Except this contractor proves to be unbelievably unreliably and is a no-show for three days in a row now. The assigned person at FAHW should help us, but her extension goes straight to voicemail. So as it stands now, we are still without air conditioning in the sweltering heat of DC with two small kids, and no assessment has been made about how to fix the problem. Nor does FAHW seem to be to concerned about the lack of pace of the progress of this problem, except for the one concession to pay-us-back $150 for a portable air conditioning unit, which of course can only cool one small room.

I started with First American on a rental house we had and was so impressed with the service that I added it to another rental house and my main home. Filing claims is simple and I never have a hassle with them on my repairs. I have a premier package on my main home to cover my swimming pool. In this time, I've had a water heater replaced, A/C repaired 2-3 times, various electrical issues repaired, pool pump and filter replaced and a faucet replaced. For $65 - $75 (on my main home) deductible, this warranty has saved me a lot of money. I like that they dispatch a contractor and I don't have to worry about anything. So convenient and cost savings.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I created an account here because I wanted to get the bad taste I have from First American Home Warranty. I had first American for two years and spent roughly $860 for the two 1 year contracts. First thing I noticed is that they raise their annual renewal fee year over year. First year was $380 but the following year fee was bumped up by more then 25% and was $480. I saw the same increase for the 3rd year and the service fee was also increased by another 15% for the 3rd year. I really wouldn't take exception to this but it becomes frustrating when you see the company nickling you every turn and when you need service they do not show the same concern as they do for collecting their money.

For a year and a half I was easy money since I didn't have any issues with any of the home appliances. First issue I had was with my AC unit. I schedule an appointment on June 19th (2017) and the first contractor that was assigned was able to look at the issue on July 7th. A little less than 3 week turn around. I called the next day to let them know I can't wait for 2+ weeks since we are in a heat wave (100 plus degree weather). They provided a new contractor that never called me to schedule an appointment (they are supposed to call within 24 hours). I ended up calling them to try and schedule an appointment but the earliest I can get service was early July. At this point I had enough and I ended up calling an outside contractor that made the fix for me that week.

At this point I cancelled my service request since I didn't receive timely service. I asked First American to pay a portion of the bill for the outside service. Bill was $250 I asked them to pay $150. I sent my concerns to claim resolution on June 26th and another email on July 3rd letting them know I haven't heard back from them. To date I have not heard back from them about this.

I don't hold ill will toward First American, I just wanted them to resolve the issue without us sweating it out in our hot home. When I sent my explanation to Claim review department with First American (where I requested $150) this was more to see how they treat their customers. Doubt anyone lost any sleep when they saw my claim request or when I told them 2+ weeks isn't sufficient turn around to fix my AC unit. It was clear as day to me that the lack of comfort in the hot house was not their first priority nor was it to hear me out about a measly $150 refund.

I also talked to a rep about AC units and how much First American pays for new units (I asked since I have an old unit and I was weighing the cost benefit of extending my warranty or terminating it) and he said for 2.5 ton unit they spend roughly $800 for a unit. I asked if they go upward of $1,000 plus and he said 'no'. This to me reaffirmed that the real money pit was First American and not the appliances in the house. If you think about it, you will be able to fix the majority of issues yourself or hire an outside contractor if you do have any major issues (AC unit, Water heater replacement... although water heater replacement is still in the realm of a DIY project). Please take this into consideration when looking at First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We moved from Houston to Fort Worth and the person we bought the home from had First American home warranty so we just continued it. He was an older gentleman and we are an older couple. He was satisfied with them and we didn't look any further so we continued the warranty. Everything was taken care of when I had claims with them. I submitted my requests on the phone and the reps were attentive and always very helpful. They got in contact with a few providers of service and I was contacted right away. The techs who came out were also helpful, very cordial and got the work done. They were very nice and they've done very good work for me. The last person I had in here when I was having garbage disposal problems said that my disposal was no more so First American had to replace it. He also told me that the one I was getting was better, smaller and quieter. I can live with it but I don't enjoy it as much as my old one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I purchased a new home and my realtor purchased the first year of home warranty for us. We filed a few claims with First American online, it was easy, and their work has been great. The first claim we submitted was for one of our toilets. It was leaking water. I cut off the water supply to it and we put in a request to have them come out. In the meantime, we had one of our toilets upstairs that wasn't leaking but was running constantly so we cut it off. When the plumber got there, I said if he can check out the toilet upstairs while he's here. He told me he can only do what's submitted on the form. He said that when I submit claim, I should put everything on there at once. And I was like, "That would have been great to know upfront. It was our first claim that we submitted with you guys so we weren't aware that that was the case."

I was just assuming, "Great, the plumber's out. We have another plumbing issue, they can look at it." But that's not how it works. The communication upfront could have been better so we would have known that we had to put everything on the form. Our toilet upstairs is still running but we don't want to pay another $75 to have First American come out and fix the issue because we already had a plumber that was at the house that could have just looked at it had we known.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was recommended to First American and I kept them ever since for protection. I've submitted a handful of claims with them and though I don’t like talking to a computer that much, their claims process was very easy and everything else was perfect. So far, I'm very pleased with First American. I've also recommended them to a lot of my friends and family.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I bought a house and First American Home Warranty came with it and I have them for eight months now. I do online claims submission where I go into my account and do it. It’s easy and they provide feedback the very next day. Their claims reps were good, helpful and explained to me the process. The technician was also good however, he gave me a time and forgot about me. But when I called him back, he said that he would stop by on his way home to fix the problem and he did. I'm very satisfied with the service all in all.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Air conditioning unit stopped working on 6/23/17. Unit is covered under warranty. As of today, 7/14/17, it has still not been fixed. First American was contacted same day. They told me they'd assign a contractor and that they'd contact me. I reached out to the contractor myself, as nobody had contacted me within the given time frame (24 hours) and they told me they wouldn't be able to have anyone out until 7/3/2017. I contacted First American and told them that this wasn't acceptable and that I wanted a different contractor.

They assigned a different contractor, Ecco Tec Home Services LLC (terrible company as well, look at Google reviews). They scheduled me an appointment for 6/28/17 between 12-4pm. Nobody showed up in that time frame. I called them over 5 times and nobody answered the phone. They called me at 6pm notifying me that the technician would be late. Technician arrived near sundown around 8pm. He looked at the unit for a few minutes and stated that he'd have to schedule me for another appointment for the following day since it was getting late. Schedule was set for 1-5pm next day. Technician was late again, arriving well past 5pm. Few hours later, technician told me that the TXV line was clogged and that he'd need to order the part to replace it.

Several days later, 7/3/17, First American sends me an email stating that they received the report and they'd need 1-3 business days to review the report. On 7/5/17 I called First American to see what was going on, and they told me that I needed a new evaporator coil and a TXV line, and that I'd have to pay 500$ for modifications that the technician would have to perform, 125$ for PVC work, and 375$ for copper work. Technician did not mention anything about an evaporator coil or modifications when he was at my house. At this point, I went ahead and purchased a dehumidifier (200$) and a floor AC unit (500$) because Virginia is humid as hell and I can't afford having mold grow in my home. Middle of summer by the way, over 90 degrees every day.

7/9/17 I call First American to see what's going on, and they tell me that they're waiting on the contractor to provide them specifications as to what part to order. Are you serious? You've waited 10 days for me to call you to bring this to your attention? What if I hadn't called? They tell me that they'll reach out to Ecco Tec and try to get that information. I tell them this is unacceptable, so they tell me they've escalated my call (whatever that means) and that they'll penalize Ecco Tec if they don't respond within 24 hours.

7/12/17 I call again to see if anything has been done. I get forwarded to a supervisor who tells me that they've ordered the part and that they'll reimburse me 150$ for a space cooler. You can't buy anything with 150$. 7/14/17 I call and they tell me that it will be another 7-10 days before the part is available from Carrier. I pay for a home warranty and I need to wait for over a month for my AC to get fixed. What a scam. Terrible experience.

I can think of far better ways to spend my time than writing a review, however it is important to inform others of the problems we have, so hopefully others can dodge these. Our house has an issue with the toilet, largely due to its age. We had our own plumber, as well as the plumber contracted by First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation inspect it, and both found it needs replacing. I should note that the reps for First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation have been pleasant, albeit ineffective in resolving this situation. Original Westwood Plumbing is a company that FA contracts with, and previously did good work here, and the plumber doing the job was competent and had a good attitude. As such, we requested OWP handle this replacement.

Initially, all went well, and we discussed upgrading the "Builder's Standard" toilet to a slightly better model. We also needed to specify what toilet we needed due to dimensional issues within the bathroom, and many toilets won't properly fit. We were happy to pay the difference in the upgrade, as that is fair. One week ago we sent over four models that would work with our needs. Since that time, not one phone call back from the contractor - OWP. On the flip side, I've called numerous times (including 16 today), and all of the calls went to voicemail. I informed FA my elderly dad can't readily access other bathrooms, thereby it is imperative this gets resolved ASAP. It has already been several weeks since the first determination by OWP.

Here's where the story gets even more curious. FA has flip-flopped on being able to upgrade toilets. Additionally, while they will offer a replacement of equal value up to $600, they default to the lowest value for the toilet we have without being able to identify correctly what model it actually is! I've spent hours on the Home Depot web site looking for a new toilet. Some of the key points that determine the cost involve internal workings and dimensions that can't be identified simply by looking at photos. It's sort of like trying to estimate the cost of an old muscle car without being able to identify the engine. Even more curious is that FA can simply payout for the cost of the toilet and labor, and the customer can get the job done on their own.

On the surface that seems fine. So, how much does FA offer for replacing a toilet? Would you believe a grand total of $42, and that includes the toilet and the cost of the plumber! That price won't even cover half the cost of the least expensive toilet on the Home Depot site (where there are nearly 400 various toilet models available), and that doesn't even come close to the cost of a plumber or proper disposal of the old unit. So, it appears that not only us, but also many customers have been squeezed by First American's policy. And, speaking of policy, the FA annual contract prevents a class-action lawsuit by requiring individual cases be brought to small claims court (or arbitration). And, let's face it, they know most won't go through the trouble of going to court over just a few hundred dollars, nor would an attorney get involved for just one small case, as it simply isn't worth it.

Lastly, FA has not to the best of my understanding lived up to the contract policy regarding customer service, in terms of the time required to undertake a repair. Should it take weeks to identify the issue, and approve the replacement of a toilet, and then install one? I guess I could use a tree in the backyard, but the hillside might be a bit difficult for my father. Let alone, I don't think the neighbors would find it the least bit amusing. I'd like to say that this is the last straw, but I get the feeling this is really just the start. I do welcome an immediate remedy from FA with a contracted plumbing company that we approve of, or a reasonable and fair market value for a replacement toilet, the labor, and disposal of the old model. At which time, I'd be happy to change our rating of their services.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We needed a home warranty and of all the different home warranty companies, our neighbor said that First American is a good company. We didn’t think about it twice and we went ahead and got the service with them. They were fast in taking the application. Submitting a claim to them was easy and fast, too. They had no hesitation to receive whatever problem we had in that time. In the evening, there was already somebody calling me from the contractor. Everything went smoothly and everything went well with their claims rep that I spoke to. I liked the technician, too. He showed me what was the problem, etc. It was cool. He did a fast and clean work. Everything is good with First American and it’s not that expensive.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was very easy submitting a claim to First American. The technician brought along exactly what was needed and had it available right on his truck. He was very experienced and knew what he was doing. However, we hadn't had a lot of rain at that time so the sump pump which was replaced hasn't been working. I put a hose in there and get it to work to make sure everything was okay. He did test it at that time. But when I did it, I let the sump pump run a few times because I kept letting the water run in there. And that's when I discovered a leak. It's all part of the same piping, above where the connections are for the sump pump. We would have noticed and found that if it ran a few times. So, I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Joyce was checking on it with one of the representatives. Tony is the guy that owns the company. He was going to check with Joyce also. And that's been five days. Of course, we had holidays. I was going to call Joyce again to see how they were going to handle that. What they're going to do and when they're going to come back, one or the other.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

While I should not be surprised or disappointed, I am both. I have read other reviews that talk about these mysterious "modifications" and non-covered items that need to be made before my AC unit can be repaired or replaced. Mine totaled well over $900.00 before any other repairs can be made. How convenient. When this information was relayed to me, I opted to cash out. So why did it take more than three weeks for FAHW to give me any further information? And this was only after I called them, was kept on hold for an extended period of time, and they still had to call me back. On the first call, I was quoted one amount for the cash out, but when I was called back, mysteriously, the amount had dropped by $300.00+ because someone else "added wrong".

After listening to both the contractor and FAHW tap dance around the issue, I have no confidence that what I am being told is honest or accurate. I have had other techs assess my unit, and they see no logical reason for these modifications. I've lived long enough to recognize bs when I hear it, especially considering that the rep could not provide me with any specifics on covered items, knowing what it would cost on the open market. For what I have needed FAHW to do this past year, I could have just called Joe down the street to make repairs and saved that monthly payment. I do not recommend First American Home Warranty.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've always thought it was a good idea to have a home warranty. I can do this and that little repair work, but if I start having major issues, it's always good to have a company that I can trust to take care of the problems I run into. We've had First American for a while and they've been great as long as we've had them. I started using them in 2005 when I bought a house in Texas. I'm in a different property now, and when we bought this house in 2008, we were given a couple of home warranty options and one of these was First American. I selected First American since I've had them before and I was familiar with them, and we've had them since then.

With every issue that I've had, whether it's something I ended up having to pay for myself or something that First American worked on, it has always been easy to get in touch and work with them, and to get somebody out to look at problems. When I have somebody that I can depend on, then I hardly move away from that. I always call when submitting a claim, and to me, it's been fine. The claims representatives were great. Whoever I've talked to in the different times with whatever the problems were have understood what I was talking about. They assigned someone to do the job and everything went fine. It was either something that was covered or something that wasn't. The only time I had a problem with a technician was when a guy from Sears looked at my air conditioning and I wasn't happy with how long it took him to isolate the problem. But other than that, everybody that's come out has been really good.

We just sold our house and our First American warranty is transferable, so we're going to transfer that over to the new owners. We're going to be moving to our motor home or RV for a while, but when we get another house, we'll get another home warranty with First American. They're very professional, easy to do business with and have great follow-up.

Resolution In Progress

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: July 12, 2017

On June 15, 2017, I opened a repair ticket for a wall unit AC that had ceased working. I am a first time home owner and the seller purchased the first year of the Home Warranty Buyers coverage with First American (“FAHW”) which was included in the purchase of the property. On June 16, 2017, a Platinum Repair, Inc. repairman visited my home and deemed the AC wall unit a loss and said he would submit a report requesting a replacement unit. He represented that the report would be submitted the same evening.

After several calls from June 17-21, I was told by Platinum that they had submitted their report. FAHW told me they had received no report. This went on for about one week when finally FAHW said they received a report but it was for fan blades! I inquired further about this as I was told the unit would need to be replaced. How are fan blades going to work on a unit that the motor is clearly not working?

Close to one week more goes by. At this point, I can no longer get through to Platinum and have left 4 voice mail messages after waiting 10-11 minutes each time, when their automated voice mail comes on. I call FAHW and I have to wait on the line while they call Platinum. This occurs several times throughout the week. Some of the calls to FAHW, they could not even get through to Platinum, their own vendor! At this point, I am making it clear to FAHW that I am not happy with the way and lack of professionalism this claim is being handled and that Southern California is experiencing a major heat wave and the temperature in my area is in the triple digits, upward of 107 degrees, plus. Thank God I had purchased a portable AC unit in May although, until the breakdown of the wall unit, I had not needed to hook it up.

Anyway, FAHW is finally able to get through to Platinum who tells them that the fan blades are no longer available and they were going to have to update their report to reflect that I need a new unit. Seriously? I was told this was the original request on June 16, 2017!!! It is now June 27. June 27, I call FAHW again. At this point, a representative whom I could not really understand since he did not have a full command of the English language said that FAHW offers temporary relief in situations like this. Quite frankly, I just wanted (and still want) my AC unit replaced. I told him that I had purchased a portable AC unit a couple of months ago, to which I was told that would suffice if I could provide the receipt.

I did as I was asked. Meanwhile, the AC Unit was supposedly being ordered. I asked him if FAHW could use the services of a different AC company. He actually said that he didn't know why they were still using Platinum since they have received so many complaints. This DID NOT HELP MY CAUSE NOR MAKE ME FEEL ANY BETTER.

The FAHW rep emailed me his response to my submission of my receipts and I quote (cut and pasted from his email): "I got inform that they are unable to located the fan blade your wall unit. So most likely it's going to be replace. You claim is being handle by the authorization department but I also being updated for it. I am going to submit the check for approval of the $150 temp relief."

June 28, I get a call from a clear speaking rep from FAHW. The only reason I actually get a call from them now is to tell me they were rejected my temp relief. I explained in a very strained voice all of the trials and tribulations I had been going through since June 16, with both Platinum and FAHW. Needless to say, the temp relief was approved. I asked him for the status of my AC unit. He calls Platinum and actually gets someone. However, apparently, Platinum had not yet placed the order for my replacement unit. Really? No, you don't say.

At this point, I have emailed FAHW twice, the last time expressing my disappointment and actually expressing to them in writing that I want to make a complaint, called and left two messages for this last rep who is allegedly handling my claim. I have called and left four messages with Platinums voice mail messaging system. Remember, the only way to get to the system is to wait the 10+ minutes each time. Last I was told, Platinum had placed the order for the replacement unit. However it takes 1-1 weeks to arrive at Platinum and they will call me to schedule an appointment for installation.

Well folks, guess how long it's been? Let's just say that today is July 12, 2017 and I have yet to receive a return call or email from FAHW addressing my concerns or rectifying this issue and I continue to leave messages on Platinums general voice mail system. Oh, by the way, over the past month of this ongoing issue, I continue to receive automated requests and reminders to renew my policy with FAHW.

I had 2 terrible experiences. They were both linked to plumbing. First one I cancelled the claim because they would not help and I went with my own plumber at extra cost. The second involved fixing my water heater which you may think to a classic case for a warranty. The plumber contracted by the company was a complete idiot, he came smelling like alcohol, obviously he could not fix the issue and ended up ordering a replacement part for the heater. Fast forward 3 weeks, still we had no hot water, the part comes in and it is the wrong one.

Fast forward again few weeks and the correct part arrives but he does not know how to install the component properly. He tries cutting and connecting things randomly to determine at the end that the whole water heater cannot work anymore and needs replacement (obviously no clear explanation was provided, no diagnostic was conducted to find out what the problem was. I was there the whole time to check on his work). His incompetence then turned out to be very costly for us, the new water heater cost was covered but the warranty charges us the cost of installation as quoted by this terrible contractor.

We asked many times to get the same water heater but they said they cannot enforce that without thinking that this is extra cost for the homeowner because the contractor will choose to install whatever parts they want, they may get a cheaper component and charge whatever they want for installation, and the warranty is not protecting you at all. The installation alone now will cost the same as buying and installing a new heater from a reputable vendor and we have no idea which heater they have purchased.

Both experiences were so stressful, the warranty is basically worthless, the time and money it takes to fix your problems is much more than it would be going on your own with a contractor you select and trust. The customer service is terrible, the phone machine is basically not working, you end up waiting forever for a representative and you will never be able to talk to anybody. Even if you do get to talk to somebody it is extremely frustrating because they do not care at all and will not try helping. The point of buying a home warranty is so that when something happens you will be covered and somebody will help taking care of the issue, unfortunately though, with this company you will just have more trouble and you will spend more money.

Resolution In Progress

Original review: July 12, 2017

Our hot water heater broke on Friday afternoon. We immediately contacted First American Home Warranty and filed a claim. We were told someone would contact us within 24 hours; 30 hours later we had still not been contacted. We called FAHW and told them about our problem and were told someone would again contact us within 24 hours. 48 hours later still nothing. The customer service representatives were very rude each time we called and acted as though they had better things to do.

Once the contractor finally showed up they were prompt to submit everything needed to FAHW, we were scheduled for a new hot water heater to be installed by the next day. FAHW then gave the contractor the run around, as well as my husband each time he called. We were told by FAHW that the quote was authorized and then received a call from the contractor informing us that they could not install the hot water heater because it had not been approved by FAHW. DO NOT USE FAHW!! Buy a warranty from someone else. This is literally the worst customer service experience I have EVER had. We have now been without hot water for 5 days with no end in sight.

This was my second call to First American. The first time was a few months after purchase of our home. The plumbing in our house was backing up and sewage was filling our shower. First American couldn't get anyone to our home for a week. I called a local plumber to handle the issue the following day. The second and recent problem involved our AC. Water began to leak through my daughter's vent and then through her ceiling fan/light. I turned off the power to her room and called First American. This was a Friday night so we left a voicemail. We never received a call back so we called back on Monday.

They said that they would have a contractor at our home at the end of the week. They never called or came. We called back and they scheduled a new contractor. The contractor never called. We called the contractor and was told that they didn't have our work order. We finally got that squared away and had a technician come to our home four days later. He comes down from the roof and tells me that we are missing the drain line. He tells me that he has to send the report to his company and they would send it to First American to verify coverage. I received an emailed report within 10 mins of his inspection.

The next morning I call First American to see if it's covered. They hadn't received the report yet. That evening I called back and they still hadn't received the report. I was put on hold while they called the contractor and received the report. I was then told that it was not covered. The real problem that I have is that it took three weeks just to get someone to our home. Three weeks for the possibility of more damage. Three weeks of no power in that room. Even if it would've been covered, it's still ridiculous that it took three weeks. I will definitely be looking for a new home warranty provider.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a little bit of extra money that was approved through my mortgage and needed to spend it on something. So I decided to get a home warranty with First American. Their claims process was fairly easy and my experience was pretty good when I submitted a claim. Their claims reps were very helpful and they explained to me that it was the basic bare-bones home warranty, and I understood what that meant. I had an icemaker, two garage doors, a washer and a dryer, and some other small electrical things that were not acting right. First American sent out the contractors who were topnotch, and I was very happy with the quality of their work. They were honest, well-mannered, and experienced. They were also polite and considerate of my home and me. The garage doors and the icemaker were paid for, but nothing else was covered. If I would’ve paid more for the warranty, more things would’ve been covered. Nevertheless, the home warranty was worth the money.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve had a warranty before and when we bought our home, our realtor picked First American Home Warranty. We did two claims for the air conditioner. We were waiting for First American to reimburse us on a claim that we had. They were going to take a week and a half before they come down and fix our AC and it was 106 degrees. It was really hot. So, we had to get a person to come and service it and First American told us that they’d reimburse up to $200. I've sent them the invoice yesterday. Their team has been really good. They call back when they say they will. The technician who also came down was nice. My experience has been great and I've recommended them to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

On June 8, 2017, I submitted an online request due to my garbage disposable not working. The process was easy and the next day the plumber came out to my home to look at the unit. The plumber said that the unit would have to be replaced and that he would submit the request to the home warranty co. I did not have to pay the $65 service call until the work was completed. At this point, I was pleased with the service; however, I had no idea what pain I was about to endure. About two weeks later (FYI, I am not able to use one side of my sink due to the broken unit) I heard nothing. On June 21, 2017, I called First American Home Warranty and was on the phone with them for 26 minutes, as they had to call the plumber to ask for their service report. They said they could not do anything until they received the report.

The following week I heard nothing, so on June 26, 2017, I called First American and again was on hold so that they could contact the plumber, but only took 14 minute call. They told me I would hear from the plumber the next day. We finally got the report and the plumber was going to make the repairs. I then spoke to the plumber, but he was only authorized to install a regular garbage disposal and that I would have to pay an extra $100 so that I could get a unit that had similar features as what I currently have. On June 30, 2017, I called First American to ask why I had to pay an extra $100 for a similar unit as mine. I was on the phone for 10 minutes, was disconnected, and then was on the phone for an additional 60 minutes, and finally they said they would submit my request to purchasing to see if they would match all features of my garbage disposal. I was told I would get a call in a few days, but I did not.

I called First American on July 11, 2017, was on the phone for 1 hour and 10 minutes, 45 minutes of that was on hold waiting to speak to a supervisor. I finally gave up and told the representative I could not continue to wait because I have to work. However, the representative named Luis, who would not give me his last name said they do not consider the noise reduction a feature. I have done my research and all the websites I've seen states that it is a feature, the specification of the product says it is a feature, and I consider it a feature. Also, the HP they want to use to replace my unit is not less than my unit.

First American contract states, "The company will replace with equipment of similar features, efficiency, and capacity but not responsible for matching brand, dimension, or color." Our home is equipped with an InSinkErator Select 5/8 Horse Power (HP) with Noise Insulation to reduce noise and they want to replace it with a unit that an InSinkErator Badger 5, which is HP garbage disposal with no insulation.

I believe that First American Home Warranty is violating their own contract by not matching all features my current unit is equipped with. First American Home Warranty said they could pay me out and I could go buy my own unit, but that they would only give me $7.00, which wouldn't even pay for the taxes. I am very dissatisfied and feel that this company is lying to customers and giving them false information and expectation about their services. Also, their calling system is flawed as they make you hold for almost everything and they won't call you back when they are free or have contacted technicians for information needed to complete work orders.

I was considering renewing my contract, but I do not believe it is worth it based on this experience. I may end up buying my own unit, having it installed, as it would be cheaper than paying the extra $100, plus $65 for a unit of "similar features" from First American Home Warranty. Also, I will be looking into what steps I need to take to address the company for violating their own contract.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The realtor suggested getting a home warranty for the house I bought had been in foreclosure and the real estate agent recommended First American. I'd recommend them too. I’ve had claims on my heating and cooling and it’s been very easy. Custom Heating and Air is the provider and they're always on top of it within 24 hours. On the other hand, I’ve had some plumbing issues and it was pulling teeth. They didn't have but one plumber. I've submitted claims lots of times and they need to have more service providers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a warranty person and my husband is a worrywart. I've had home protection before and I've never had trouble ever. Then my husband's twin brother who has First American said that he liked them and told me to switch over. I submitted my claims with them on the phone as I'm not online-savvy and I gave the reps on the phone a little description of the problem. Talking with them has been very pleasant though one of them was a little rude when he asked me to describe where the problem was coming from and I couldn't, but he was the only one. The others were easy to deal with and I'm satisfied with that.

The technicians that First American sent out have also been very nice. I've had four of them come over, two for my refrigerator and two for my air conditioner. The other ones did perfect but one of them was not very neat and he was reported to the company. The refrigerator people were very professional, knowledgeable and took care of the problem ASAP. One of them showed me what the problem was, told me it was going to take a couple of weeks because they needed the part and went step by step.

I've had a wonderful experience with my refrigerator, but I'm having a terrible experience with my air conditioner. The last tech that came out told me about a coil that needed to be replaced but he never took me out there or told me where it goes like the refrigerator guy did. He also said that he was going to see if he was approved or not to fix the problem but in the meantime, my air conditioner is still acting up. It's not my first house so I know that there's still something wrong with it. Right now, I'm very disappointed. I haven't heard back from anyone and I don't know whether to get in touch with the company or with First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Choose a different home warranty company than First American if you want your covered warranty issue fixed in a timely manner. It has been 19 days since I initiated a covered warranty claim on my home air conditioning unit. The contractor came out to evaluate the problem and then never called or came back to fix it. When I called the contractor to ask about the status they couldn't even find my case. I then called First American and after contacting the contractor they told me the parts had just been ordered. That was 5 days after the contractor had evaluated the problem and supposedly put the parts on order. After that, I waited. When I hadn't heard anything I called 7 days later and First American told me that the parts were on order. I explained to them that I already knew that, but that it had been 7 days and no one had even called to update me. They didn't seem very concerned.

I waited another 7 days and still heard nothing! I called First American and they said the parts must still be on order. In my home owning experience it doesn't take 19 days to get a part in for an air conditioner - unless you don't really want to fix the problem! I have had no customer service support from First American, and they could care less whether my problem is fixed or not. I have a pregnant wife at home and the house gets up over 80 degrees. THEY DON'T CARE!

They assigned a special agent to my case and assured me she would follow up with me in 24 hours. She didn't! She called and left one message two days later telling me she had checked on my case and the parts were on order! Are you kidding me?!? I called her back 5 times that same day but she never once answered the phone. It is 19 days and counting since I opened my claim and I can't even be sure the parts I need to fix my problem have been ordered. DO NOT USE First American for your home warranty.

The contractor only wanted to look at the pressures of my AC compressor. Without looking at the air handler or any other part of the system he concluded that the return was too small. Never once did he pull out a tape measure to measure it or any of the air vents. Two weeks go by and First American denies my claim stating "no mechanical failure was observed" and that the contractor told them over the phone that my return was too small. I asked to see the quote to fix the problem and they don't have one. I am out $65 and 3 hours of unpaid work leave. I never got an invoice nor anything in writing. I have given up. I can't waste any more time on a company who refuses to honour their contract.

More than 2 weeks no a.c. in 120 degrees in Arizona. Our existing claim is still unresolved. No a company show to fix our A.C. Called the customer service but no answer. Always answering machine. We leave voice mail hoping to call us back but didn't hear anything from them. Can someone tell us what actions we need to do? This is ridiculous! Can we make a complaint in our state department?

They coordinated a company to come fix our refrigerator. Great response and got the job done. Professional service and great expertise. I would recommend this program to others that want the best care for their home. I have had this program for over three years.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Always Horrible service by First American Home Warranty. Most recent claim # **, It does not happen one or two times. It happen all the times when I call First American Home Warranty. If I have issue in my house and need a serviceman, first they give me a run around about the problem then a big hassle about the serviceman sent to my house to fix the problem even if it's a A/C or any plumbing issue. This time First American Home Warranty cross the limit of bad customer service, lies, rude, arrogant and finally hanging up on me. Never follow up. I have to call back and explain everything all over again.

I called in on 07/06/2017 about the plumbing issue. They give me a contractor phone number and claim# which is **. 1st contractor, FAHW Told me to call the contractor and deal with the contract. When I ask them customer Service Rep why I have to call and deal with contractor. Why I am paying FAHW for. The answer was very rude. Rep told that's the way it's in the FAHW. Ok that's fine. I call James ** the plumbing contractor. He told me he cannot come because his truck break down. Then he ask me what happen. I told him. He said it is not covered. I told him FAHW told me it is covered. Contractor told me that he cannot come since his truck breakdown and he don't know when it will be fix.

Then I call back FAHW to tell them about it and spoke to Balbino ** who was very rude and instead of Apologizing and help me start explaining me the company's policies and start arguing with me the topic has nothing to do with my issue for what I am calling for. Told me to wait 48 hrs. Then I call again. Spoke to Kelly ** who have no Idea. Didn't even read the notes on my account of what's going on. Keep over talking. When I ask for supervisor she complete denied and told me to cancel the service and go somewhere else.

I was very helpless. I pay $57 every month on time but when I need help FAHW try to avoid to help me. I waited 48hrs since it was 07/06/2017 so I call back on 07/09/2017. From 07/06/2017 till 07/09/2017 no follow up no call back from FAHW. That is unbelievable. On 07/08/2017 I call back again from the solutions Dept. I was given another contractor number and I was told to Deal with them who was BS Plumbing. I called them, left massage. Until 07/09/2017 they didn't call me yet. On 07/09/2017 Spoke to Carlos ** in solutions Dept, again he was clueless. Start explaining me the company policy, I told Carlos it already 48hrs. He just flat out told me he cannot do anything. As I explain before FAHW is based on lie and fake promises when customer a service call... As of now 07/10/2017 my problem is still not fixed and nobody followup or called from contractor or FAHW.

First American Home Warranty

Original review: July 10, 2017

This is a nightmare. I have been waiting for over a month and they have not replaced my water heater. There was no provider in this area to make room for water heater access. I hired someone for $200 which they have to reimburse. Plumber they hired is out of area, it's ok if he gets job done, but longer waits. First American procurement ordered wrong size water heater. Then their supplier advised they do not have 18" - 50 gal water heater. I advised that I found it at Lowe's, Sears, and Home Depot. It has been over 1 month and I can see nothing happening anytime soon. Now, no cold water or AC because unit was moved for water heater installation. DONT PAY TO GO THROUGH THIS TORTURE!!!

UPDATED ON 07/13/2017: 6/9 filed claim on Water Heater. 6/13 paid $75 to provider for service per FAHW. 6/15 per authorization paid $200 old water heater removal and measured clearance 19". FAHW ordered 18" WH twice. 7/7 FAHW advised me THEIR SUPPLIER could not provide 18" tank, although readily available everywhere. 7/7 Filed complaints at 7 consumer protection agencies. 7/13 Consumer Affairs report said FAHW WAS ISSUING $400+ Check to cover EVERYTHING (including my reimbursement of $275). 7/13 Refiled claim with Consumer Affairs and FAHW. Claim is NOT RESOLVED.

7/13 As a compromise, I contacted FAHW that in order to settle before I die (age 71+ with Cancer) that I would take the $400+ and $275 reimbursement. Alejandro at FAHW said no, that I have to accept their offer of $400+ or nothing. I am requesting for them to provide WH and Installation or reimburse me the amount I will pay to have it done. I now have NO HOT WATER, NO COLD WATER and no air conditioning, waiting for resolution. I have spent well over 30 hours on this. I have limited time left to live. Please do not make me use precious time on this. Please help me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I’m a realtor and heard about First American Home Warranty from the representative in my office. The cost was lower compared to other home warranty providers. I submitted a claim over the phone instead of online and it was fairly easy. The technician was very informative. He even gave me his phone number in case I needed to reach him because the repair took longer than expected. The part that they ordered was defective and they had to order a new one. I contacted the representative directly a couple of times and she expedited things. Other than the part being defective, which was nobody’s fault, it went very well. It would’ve been quicker, but everything was handled and everybody was responsive. It went as expected and I’d recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We've had First American for 10 years. The reps are courteous and I haven’t had any difficulties. I've had only one unpleasant experience that didn’t work out too well, but it’s not a problem. I've recommended them to a couple of my friends.

First American Home Warranty Company Profile