3.7/5 (503 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About First American Home Warranty

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

Pros

• Termite coverage
    • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
    • Pest control coverage

Cons

• Cancellation policy
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got ...

Verified

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the ...

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
    • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing ranges from $38 per month to $48.50 per month. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee is $85, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
    • Ceiling fans
    • Garbage disposal
    • Instant hot water dispenser
    • Microwave (built-in only)
    • Trash compactor
    • Electrical
    • Garage door opener
    • Plumbing system
    • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

First American has been very receptive. Sometimes, I feel like it takes a little bit of time to get through because you have to go through all the prompts, but it got a little bit better this last year. Also, if I don't get the service that I need, they're receptive in getting someone that will take care of the problem. Their overall claim process is good. My latest claim was for the backwash valve for my pool that was leaking. I needed that repaired. I did have a lot of difficulties. They had a really bad person that came out. That was the one thing I did not like. The pool repair person was not good. He tried to repair something in the back of his car, put it back on, and then a week later, it was broken again. At the very end, they wouldn't get back to me. First American finally changed them. I was glad to hear that because this other company did a lot better job.

My pool is doing much better. It was leaking so much it was degrading my cement. The other thing that upset me too was that I paid the $75, but I didn't report it right away. I lost another $75 because I needed the person to come back. After so many months, you have to let them know that it's not working, but I don't go outside to check my pool equipment.

Another thing is when I got my water heater installed, the company that did it charged me $400. I know they charged to have it taken away, but they charged me some other stuff. By the time I was done, it was expensive and I'm like, "But I have that insurance." So, I didn't understand why I had to pay the $75, then I had to pay the other thing. Then, they said they had to charge me extra for repiping and that wasn't included in my insurance. Now, my water heater broke after three months. I didn't call First American because then I'd have to pay the $75 again and it was still under warranty. If I called the plumbing company, then they're going to charge me.

So, I finally got to the company and they were not going to come because I'm so far away, but they were nice enough. They did come and they fixed it. It was some type of pilot light that went wrong. I was like, "Are you kidding me? It's not that old." That was kind of frustrating. Overall, the plumbing people that First American has are not that great.

First American Home Warranty response

Patricia, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. When we send out a contractor we want them to diagnose and hopefully repair your issue. We are sorry to hear in this case the repair was not successful. It is great to know we sent out someone to diagnose and get next steps for you. We are glad to hear this was successful. Regarding the charge of $75, this would be your service fee. As you mentioned for the water heater, these fees may have been due to haul-away as well as non-covered costs. We are happy to go over your contract with you to answer any questions you may have. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I had a couple of dealings with First American and they've been pretty good. But our last claim was a little bit different. Our pool broke and it was in the middle of storming time, so there were all kinds of stuff getting in the pool and it wouldn't run. First American told me that someone would get ahold of me within 48 hours. That was the norm so we thought everything was going to go through like everything did before. Come Thursday, no one called us. We had the phone number of the people that First American referred to us to because they said we could call them if they didn't call us.

On Friday before closing, we called and no one answered so we left a message. No one returned our call. I looked up the company and the reviews were horrible. They were located three hours away from us and that was probably why they were not calling me. On Monday morning, I got on the phone with the warranty place and told their rep, "Look, this isn't right. We should have had a phone call by now. We haven't. Why are you referring someone that's three hours away from us when I live right next to Stockton?" Stockton is a big town and people in this area have pools everywhere. There had to be someone closer by. The rep said they had to send someone that they were contracted with.

I told the rep that I didn't want that company out here. She said she would see what she could do and would call me back. But I didn't get a call back on Monday or on Tuesday. I called again and said I needed to talk to someone. Our pool was a disaster and it was going to get worse and harder to clean. The rep apologized but said that they had to go through the process that they go through. But the process where someone was supposed to call me within 48 hours did not happen.

Finally, First American said that they were going to send those people out because they were the only people that they could get out. When I asked about their reviews, the rep said they don't base their reviews on Google reviews. They send people out to make sure the customers are happy and First American follows up. The contracted company ended up calling us and they were really nice on the phone. A guy called me to say he was coming and I told him that the directions here on Google Maps are really difficult and people get lost all the time. The guy showed up perfectly on time, checked things out, and fixed our pool. He knew what he was doing and I was very pleased with the service.

Things worked out very well in the end but what we had to go through to get that to happen was ridiculous. The communication was horrible. First American needs to make sure the communication is there. That's big. We've had three different instances that we used them and they did well. This one with the pool happened to be a fluke. I'm hoping our next experience is going to be a good one.

First American Home Warranty response

Denice, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We may have limited contractor options available in your area, but rest assured we do take pride in who we partner with. We are thrilled to hear that you were provided professional service and we look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

My refrigerator quit freezing and the refrigerated part wasn't working. First American sent a person out to check it and the person told them that it was no good. And the Freon was leaking, so they had to replace it. But getting the replacement was a headache at first, because I live in a condo and I live upstairs. The claim adjuster went to her boss and purchased a brand new refrigerator because we have the warranty to purchase a brand new refrigerator from Lowe's. And Lowe's came here, but they said the refrigerator was too big to bring up my stairs. They didn't want to do the work of taking the one here that we had out and bringing the one that she purchased. They did it twice, so they gave the money back to the First American Home Warranty.

Then, she went to Home Depot and tried again trying to find one. She told me that I could go and look myself, and if I found one, what they'd pay for the first one with Lowe's when delivered, they would give me the money and I could put that towards wherever I purchase one at. So I purchased one at Home Depot and Home Depot came out, took the old one out, which is almost the same size as the one that I had in here that went out. But it's a different brand. The one I had was a Maytag and this new one was a Whirlpool, but made through Maytag.

Now, Maytag is in another state in Kentucky, so we waited and waited. And it was a problem with getting it because they're in a bankruptcy and they combined with some other company now. So the adjuster said that she was going to close my account and they'd send the check for what they paid Lowe's for the refrigerator. It was 1,500 and some dollars, and she did send the check. So I went to Home Depot and I found one. It was 18 something, so I had to put a little bit more money toward it myself. But I have a brand new refrigerator and it's a Samsung.

She worked really hard and tried to help me a whole lot because I was without a working refrigerator for over two and a half months, from July 7th to September 28th. All in all, any time I had a problem with anything, First American has done their job. They also got me a brand new AC unit because the AC unit that came with this condo went out. And I had a brand new AC unit put in in no time. I had a water heater replaced as well and I only had to pay $500 towards that. I will not leave First American for no other warranty company. They’re going to try and say that they will lower the rates but I'll stick to the people who I know are working for their clients.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for your review Karen!

Original review: June 28, 2021

I submitted a claim and I was dealing with a business that was very difficult to get to come out. First, they couldn't see me for a week and a half. Then, I agreed to a phone call, but it didn't get through. I offered to set up a Zoom and they said they didn't do that. They offered to come out on Saturday and told me on the phone that they'd be here at 12:00 to 5:00. The next day, I received a text that they would be there from 3:00 to 6:00. So, I assumed the text was the most recent as that's usually how it works. I was home from 2:00 to 7:00 and there was no way to get them because it was a Saturday. When I called up, they said I was supposed to be at home from 12:00 to 5:00. But I told them that they sent me a text about coming at 3:00 to 6:00.

Every other company that First American sent me had it together as far as they called and the person who'd be coming would give a 30-minute notice. But this contractor was really rude. You're waiting 30 minutes for them to answer the phone just to be spoken to poorly and I don't think that's who First American is. Then, it took them a while to set up another appointment. I had to get the home warranty involved and they ended up coming. But when the tech was here, he said that I had a faulty motor on the refrigerator and water damage. I told him that I've had that water damage since I've moved in but the water was not hooked up. He insisted that it was hooked up, but I asked him to look and he said I was right.

Then, when he talked to First American, he told them it was water damage. There was nothing in writing and First American didn't even bother to follow up. I just got a phone call saying it was not covered. I really felt it became personal that I had complained about them. It was a little suspicious in the sense that the refrigerator had been working fine. There was no more water damage because it had been disconnected for 10 years. It was really frustrating to me more so that no one even bothered to follow up and didn't read red flags. I also didn't like that a technician could leave and tell me one thing, and there was nothing in writing and then he'd say something else. The bad part was, no one wants to go without a freezer for a month, and that was what ended up happening. And I just ended up buying another refrigerator.

Other than this incident, for the most part, my experience with First American has been really great. The electrician that they sent was amazing and went above and beyond. I really loved him. Overall, I've been really happy. It's just they shouldn't be dealing with companies like the one I had for the refrigerator. If I have to wait longer than a week for an appointment, then it should be next company or give me another option.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Paula for your review.

Original review: June 7, 2021

We had an issue with the blower motor for the air handler for the air conditioning. I called First American Home Warranty. It’s irritating that it usually takes about a week to get somebody out here. That's nuts when you got terrible heat. Somebody came out and they ordered the blower motor. It came a few days later, so now we're up to 10 days, and then they installed the motor. It worked, but it had to be the wrong motor because it made a whole lot of racket inside the house when the blower was running. Then one day, it decided not to work anymore. I called back up and I said, “Hey, this blower motor is not right.” So, they sent out a different company. A technician came in and looked at it. He said, “No. This is bogus. This thing is a universal motor they put in there. It's not the right one.” They got the right motor, put it in, and the thing has been whisper quiet and very efficient ever since. So I'm happy chappy with that episode.

Two months ago, my refrigerator freezer just quit. I called up, then I went online to answer the thing as well. They had a problem apparently of getting some sort of appliance technician. The one that's normally used was Sears, which is like a generic service company. They operate on all of appliances and I know that they've got access to all sorts of parts. It was 10 days out after I called that they would first send somebody out. And I thought that's totally unreasonable to have no refrigerator or freezer for 10 days. I'm not going on a 10th camping trip someplace. You lose a whole lot of perishables and everything else, which is not your fault as a company. They explained that. They're not liable for it.

I called back and I said, “Hey, is there somebody else that might respond sooner?” The next thing I get is an email and it said, “This company should be calling you.” It was four days rather than a week. So this other company came, and I thought, “Well, it wouldn’t knock you over as far as having a piece of equipment, like a truck, a spiffy uniform and all the rest of that stuff.” But the tech did have a shirt with his company name on it and a proper ID. He knew his business. He came in and inspected everything for about 45 minutes. He said, “Now, I gotta call for parts and get approval from First American.” The next day, he came back and he had a little part. He finally sourced out the proper part that fits in between, so it was actually two parts. He came back two days later because the weekends had come in between, and stores are closed. He installed it, and it's been running beautifully ever since.

First American Home Warranty's policy does what it says it will do. I understand we've got COVID and everybody's supply chains are screwed up and a lot of people don't want to work so available service people are maybe hard to find, but it worked out for me. I had paid Sears with a credit card for the owner portion of the bill, and it's 75 bucks and that was soon returned to me by home warranty. First American has taken care of my appliance issues. The cost is fair, and I'm happy.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Robert for your review.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I had a very good experience with First American. They're really good. I like their service, but they have to be careful with their plumber. The plumber that they sent out told us that we needed to replace the water heater. So we submitted the request and First American approved it, but it took a long time before I got a response. Also, the plumber wanted to charge us $500 which is not included in the insurance. So I called First Warranty to send me another plumber, and they did. The second plumber told me that it did not need to be replaced. They only need to replace something in the thermostat. It's not even 30 minutes to replace it. So instead of First Warranty paying $2,500 for the complete water heater replacement, they only paid the plumber $200. Since the part was replaced, the water heater has been running good.

First American Home Warranty response

Elma, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are glad to know that we were able to assist with other options to resolve your claim. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: May 2, 2022

They offer horrible customer service and when you file a claim if they can not find a contractor they simply refund your money and say, "Sorry we can’t help you." They will not help in the event something is broke needs fixed or in my recent experience my hvac tune up was not able to be serviced because everyone is busy and they couldn’t assign it to anyone. I have attempted twice to file a claim or request service both times they have refunded the deductible and said, "Sorry we can not help with your issue" and that I needed to find my own contractor or get the work done myself.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: April 29, 2022

I won't even give Them one star. Placed a service call for my heater to be fixed in January of this year 2022. It's still not resolved. 4/29/22. They have called me every Monday to tell me the item for replacement is not in stock and will be in stock the following Monday. Then they sent me an all cash offer to replace the item. 4/28/22. Today Jean in claims resolutions Dept 800-992-3400 Ext ** contacted me to inform me that they canceled the cash out payment because they can't return the item that they ordered. Now I'm on the suicide hotline because this is how insane First American is treating me. I can't take it anymore. Something has to be done and if I have to sacrifice myself to make an example out of first American I will. ** first American home warranty. Don't ever do business with First American. Ever. I also have a class action lawsuit going with Fairshake if anyone would like to join me.

Hi Marcus,

First American would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of this claim and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service and your feedback is an invaluable part of the process. We apologize for the delays as well as the frustrations you experienced throughout this claim process, we never wish for any of our customers to have a poor experience with First American. As of April 29, 2022 First American has processed your cash payment in lieu of the replacement of your HVAC unit. Please allow 7-10 business days for this check to arrive.

Original review: April 27, 2022

First American responded quickly and contractor did so equally fast. Repair, which included cleaning up a bathroom full of sewage, was proficient. So why 4 stars instead of 5? When your tenant calls you and her bathroom is full of sewage and it continues to rise, you do not want to talk to a robot, which is how First American communicates with customers. No option for emergencies, no number to press to speak to a real person. Would have given FA five stars if I had hung up the phone and felt confident that the company understood I had a significant problem.

First American Home Warranty response

Jim, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! It is great to know that you were provided awesome service. For your convenience, you are also able to submit a claim online at any time of day through the Homeowner Center. We look forward to being there for you, should you ever need us again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: April 24, 2022

My most recent claim with First American was regarding the kitchen faucet. It's been going on for the last three months and I'm very unhappy about it. The kitchen faucet is leaking. I have the plus warranty, everything's covered. But the contractor wanted to charge me $350 more. I reported back to First American and they had been investigating. I've called 10 times and they just said, "We are just waiting for the contractor to submit a detailed report." I asked them, "Why don't you assign a new contractor?” They said, "No. We had to wait for the report." But I had another claim with the microwave and that was properly processed.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Raj. First American apologizes for any inconveniences you have experienced during the handling of the plumbing claim. On May 10, 2022, First American confirmed with you that the contractor completed repairs to your kitchen faucet as of May 3, 2022.

Please be advised, First American considers this claim closed as completed. Thank you.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
      Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
      Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
      Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
      Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
      Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
      Septic tank system $500
      *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
      2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
      3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information