Call toll free
3.24/5
Based on 932 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

4507 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have been with First American Home Buyers Protection for eight years and the warranty was included with my house when I bought it. First American is doing a good job. My most recent claim with them was for a capacitor on my air conditioner. They had someone out and they scheduled it the next day, so it was really prompt. The company seemed legit and the people were clean and courteous. Most experiences that I've had with the technicians have been really good, although I've had a couple of plumbers in the past that were fly-by-night guys. But I've had quite a few claims recently and all the work I've had had been top-notch. I would recommend First American Home Buyers Protection.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was shopping around for insurance. First American's service fee was lower and they didn't make too many excuses not to fix things, so I went with them. I usually submit my claims to them over the phone and the reps I talked to were pretty good. I had a lot of problems with my air conditioning and last year, I had a company that caused a lot more problems for me. A couple of times, I didn't have air conditioning for a month at a time, plus they damaged my gas line, furnace line, and my water heater. It was so upsetting.

I got lucky I didn't die because it was 95 degrees in the house and I had to open all the windows. I live in Texas and it gets really humid here. There was a bad smell in house and I could sense that it was coming from the attic. So, I kept on asking for First American to send someone but they said that it couldn't be from that. I also couldn't get hold of the air conditioning technician. Then when the unit would come on in the room upstairs, it would be shaky.

We were in the house for four days until I called a different company for them to come and check on the smell. That was when they found out that the first company that came out had done all the other damage. There was a carbon monoxide leak and gas leak, and I was burning candles to camouflage the smell, so we could stay in the house. At the time, we were living downstairs and I was closing all the doors. I ended up paying 350 from my pocket to the new techs who worked on my AC, plus, I had to pay over $1,000 to fix the problems that First American's contractor did. I had to replace the water heater, too, which was only seven years old, but because of the damage that was caused, it had to be replaced.

This year, the air conditioning wasn't working again and this time, the contractor said that something needed to be fixed first before they could do the work. So they have not fixed the problem and they kind of messed it up. Then they asked for $180 from me to pay them. The guys that came were very polite and very nice, but it seems like I have this ongoing problem with my upstairs air conditioner. When it gets hot at 104 outside, it's not cooling down to 78. One time, I didn't have an air conditioner upstairs for a whole month and it was 105 degrees. So, I was sleeping on the couch for a month downstairs. First American's techs just came last Friday and they said it's fixed. I kept on checking though and today is a little hotter than it has been over the weekend, but for the last few days, it's back to 81 upstairs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Recently my AC unit went out. I called to make a claim and have someone out here ASAP. I have an infant and 2 younger kids. They said they would get someone out here as soon as possible. They provided me with the work order and said the company is open on weekends. I did my research to find out that they arent open and the company only received 1.5 stars on Yelp and BBB. First American has the worst customer service and the outsourcing to other countries. I pay too much to be treated horribly and have the worst customer service. We definitely will be looking for another company. We still have no AC and the temperature is rising in our house and it isnt even the peak of the day yet. Here we wait!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I was with American Home Shield first and when I put my house on the market, my warranty lapsed. The realtor wanted to have a warranty on there and she chose First American. Then I decided not to sell and I just stayed with them. I've been with them First American for so long and I've had a few issues, but overall, I'd recommend them.

For claims, they want you to go online which is easier than through the phone. But sometimes, you just wanna talk to somebody on the phone and it's difficult to get in touch with somebody on the phone. Though after I got them on the phone, I never had any issues with anybody. However, if you're gonna call them back after a service, it must be within 30 days. And one time, I had some issues with the plumbing where what they fixed should not have been broken again that soon. The repair should've lasted for a long-term. Plus, I had to pay the deductible again to get it fixed. It was an issue with the valve stem and they were having to replace it. But the previous replacement was done less than a year ago and it's something that you don't have but every 20 years.

The other thing is, I had a top-of-the-line cooktop and they would not replace it with top-of-the-line. They replaced it with what they considered an equivalent and I kinda ran around with that one. I thought it was gonna be replaced with the equivalent of what I had and if that wasn't their policy, they should have called it comparable instead of equivalent. Other than that, I've never had any issue with the technicians they sent out.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We just purchased a new condo and within the first 2 months we had problems with the air conditioning unit. We called for service last week - 8 days ago. They said this was an "expedited" service because we were experiencing very high heat during a heat wave. Despite what First American told us, the company said they couldn't make an appt for 2 weeks. We called First American back, they couldn't get the company to come sooner. So they scheduled another company, 4 days later. That company never returned our calls and never made an appointment. Called First American back, they scheduled an appointment for the next day (a Wednesday). Company never showed or called. Called First American back. They did the same thing, called the company back and scheduled an appointment for the next, said they would show up, between 12-5. We waited. They never called or showed up.

Called First American back, they said they would escalate the claim because they couldn't find an air conditioning company to come do service. They said we would get a call back within an hour or two approving us to call our own company in. Never got a call back. Called the next day (8th day, a Friday) and put on hold for 35 minutes while they "figured it out". Came back on the line to tell us 1. They have no one to come service the unit and 2. They are not authorizing us to have it fixed at this time.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, I've been on hold now for 52 minutes. It's a waiting game. After tomorrow, trying for 9 days to get service and this company not meeting their obligations, we will have the unit serviced at our cost and intend to sue them in Small Claims for full reimbursement. This is NOT a good company to deal with at all and they do not honor their obligations when you purchase a contract. The California Department of Insurance needs to investigate them. There are literally THOUSANDS of complaints about their practices and doing this to others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We have an older home and I've had First American since 2005. It's easy to submit a claim and the representatives are always eager to try to help. Our experiences with the technicians have been good but this last time, it took forever to get First American to agree to buy a new dishwasher. Then it took forever to get the dishwasher there. We were out of a dishwasher for weeks. Then when First American sent a technician out to install it, he installed it improperly. It caused a leak and the floor next to the kitchen happened to be wood. It was damaged and it'll cost $4,000 to replace the floor.

It also cost me $300 to call another plumber to install the dishwasher properly. I wasn't required to do it on my own but I was sick of the whole process with that dishwasher. First American had taken so long from the time we called that the dishwasher went out until we actually got one put in. So when we realized it wasn't installed properly, I didn't want the same plumber or anybody that First American would send out there. But generally, the quality of work of the technicians First American had sent out was good.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Normally, you go online and place a request to First American. Their customer service was nice in answering the phone but after the request has been placed, it seems like the only person you can deal with is the contractor. You have to be on top of them for somebody to contact and make the phone call for the specialists who sometimes take forever to get to your house or to answer your phone calls. When you call First American, they would always advise you to call them but once the appointment has been set up, whoever comes would be okay. I’ve been with First American for 13 years and there has been a little bit of an increase every year. When I started with them, it was $45 per service call. Right now, it’s $75 so, I’m looking for a warranty company with a cheaper service call price.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Water heater went out first. I called and the guy came on a Sunday, turned off the water heater detached the pipes and left it in my garage. A week later they called wanting to give me an estimate on replacement which was much higher and would have caused a lot more damage to my home. The guy that came was not very knowledgeable when I questioned him. Luckily I had already been doing my research and knew the correct answers from several other sources. I decided not to use their plumber and found another on my own, who came immediately, did the necessary repairs and adjustments and replaced the water heater quickly and correctly. They now want to give me $346 for the total job. Trust me it cost more than that to replace!

Later that week the air conditioner went out, I had to have it fixed quickly as the temperatures in Phoenix soared and I have an elderly parent at home. They won’t even consider any part of my claim as they could not get me a contractor to come out before 3 days passing. I called and found a licensed contractor to come out the next day, but now they won’t even consider any part of the claim even though invoices from licensed agencies were sent. I canceled my contract with them as now my two largest purchases of water heater and air conditioner are now newly replaced and come with their own warranties!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I looked into acquiring a home warranty for less stress and to just call somebody that can handle everything and I got a recommendation for First American Home Buyers Protection from somebody. Submitting a claim with them now is more complicated than before. And the last time, we had a couple of problems with that. The old way was First American sends the claim to the subcontractor and the subcontractor calls us and they set up the appointment. But now, we have to call the subcontractor and make an appointment with them which makes it more complicated because we have to call First American on their 1-800 and call somebody else. Sometimes they don’t have a claim number yet. I have to call First American again and send the claim number because I'm calling the subcontractor. They are making the client work more. I have to find them, open a claim, and find a subcontractor and open the claim with the subcontractor again.

Our last interaction with the reps from First American was really bad. They sent a 23-year old guy here who didn’t know much about the isse and whatever he was doing. He said it was an electrical problem. We called the electrical guy and First American sent the electrical guy. When he came, he said everything was fine and that it was an AC problem so we called back the AC problem. It was back and forth. The customer service was a straight "this is what we got, this is what you offer," and that’s it. Today, they'll receive a call from us because the AC broke down again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I've been with First American since 2012 and what I need gets done so the warranty meets my needs. They cover pool equipment too. They have a website where you can put in a claim then somebody contacts you within 48 hours. But if you wanna go back in later and look at the claim, they don't have all the information there so it's a little more work. But to start a claim and get that moving forward is easy. All the repair folks I've dealt with have been good. The work they've done has been very good and if I have any issues, I can talk to them.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

When First American send someone out for something that is a quick fix, I pay the $75 fee and it’s great. But every time we’ve had anything major, we have to argue with them. Then eventually, they’ll come back and make a little better settlement. With my last experience, the air conditioning unit had a bad evaporator and the tech gave me an estimate of $1,200 and First American were gonna pay me $150. After some conversations with three different people at the corporate office, they finally settle with us and give us $750. We ended up replacing the entire unit for $6,500 because it had been an ongoing problem and it wasn’t worth fixing again. First American didn’t step up and take care of it. We pay them a regular fee every month and this is a legitimate claim. I shouldn’t have to argue with them about that. I don’t like to argue with people for something that I know that I’m owed.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

First American came with the house since we asked for it from the real estate agent and we continued it. This is our sixth year with them and generally, First American has been okay but I was disappointed when we had trouble with our air conditioning unit. When submitting a claim, they are online and then we could call. It takes two to four days to get a contractor out. Our downstairs compressor went out on August 3, 2017 and in July of this year, it went out again. We were not high priority and I had to call them four times since summer about our air being out. Every time I call, it was several days before anyone came out and several days before they could find out if they could get the part. So, we had more days this summer without air than with air.

When the compressor went out, it caused the unit to short and it burnt the wires that went up to the house. Potentially, it could’ve burned my house down if it hadn’t been bricked. The contractors have been good but we did not have good quality this summer. We paid a lot out of pocket last year and this year they wanted us again to pay 800 dollars. There was less than 10 months between the two incidents and we asked First American to help us cover getting the unit because it has happened too many times. They were not willing and they said we could do a cash-out. I haven't heard back from them about that but on other times, they were helpful. We ended up having to buy a new unit which we installed today. First did good on my washing machine and garage door and our refrigerator repair so, they were probably good for everything, but maybe not for AC repair.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I had a different home warranty when I bought my house. However, I wasn’t happy with that company so I looked for another one and went with First American. I usually call in when submitting a claim and it has been an excellent experience. The reps have all been very professional and nice. The technicians that come in are usually really good. They fix the problem and if they can't, they say so. Most of the time, they come back after two days or a week when they get the part. Everything has been good with First American.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I submitted a claim on June 18th for my air conditioning. It took over a week to send someone out. I paid the $75 service fee and the service company said they would order the part and come back. I never heard from them again. After insisting that First American send someone else, I finally got a second company out to fix the a/c. They came out on July 13th; I paid another $75 service fee. They said they would order the part and I didn't hear from them for over 3 weeks. In the meantime, I've made numerous calls to First American, none have been returned and we haven't had air conditioning for almost 8 weeks in the hottest part of the summer. No one has apologized or made any attempt to fix the issue. It is still not resolved and if I could give a 0 star rating, I would. I even submitted an case to BBB, and First American STILL hasn't bothered to reach out.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have never had a worse experience than dealing with First American Home Warranty. My AC unit is covered in my warranty. I live in Las Vegas and it is currently between 107-116 degrees every day. My AC unit died 22 days ago!!! My compressor and motor were almost dead and they sent a terrible technician that replaced the fuse and left. It turned my AC on for 2 hours until it died again. I called them back 12 days ago and it took them 4 days to get a technician out. The technician (from "The AC Guys") deemed that the motor and compressor needed to be replaced.

I have now been sitting in my house for 20+ days with a 2 year old child and pregnant wife with a 110+ degree house. The AC Guys filed a report 7 days ago and it took First American until this morning to ship the part to them. They aren't offering tracking or giving us the compressor's original location and just will tell me it has been shipped. I HAVE SPENT OVER 20 HOURS ON THE PHONE WITH FIRST AMERICAN!!! This company is an absolute scam!!! Fix my AC unit and make this right!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

For two work orders, I have had to miss a full 7 days at work. They employ the shoddiest contracts who use the cheapest possible parts and take their time getting the job done and it's incorrect to boot! The first service call I placed with this people my hot water heater had a leak. They came out and patched the leak. Then a few weeks later it started leaking again, and then I was told I needed a new water heater and he had to get approval from the warranty company before he could proceed with the work.

When he finally showed up (A FULL THREE WEEKS LATER) to install the new water heater, the gas line wasn't hooked up correctly and the crawl space of the house filled up with gas! The house could have exploded or worse... My family could have been KILLED!!! SO THREE DAYS later they show up again to make it right. I had to call LG&E out to shut my gas off so I wouldn't blow up half the neighborhood!! Each time I'm having to take a full day off of work to deal with this incompetence. And not a SINGLE PERSON at American Home Warranty said, "Sorry" or anything. Not a single one!

The 2nd work order was for a leaky bathtub. The first time they came out; he just did a lot of looking and head scratching and told me I'd need a new faucet set and he'd have to get approval from the warranty company, the 2nd time he came out he brought a faucet that didn't match the rest of the fittings in the tub (the shower was gold, the drain was gold as well as the drain handle, but the faucet was silver.... AND THE PIECE OF JUNK THEY BROUGHT OUT WAS MADE OF PLASTIC!!! Which I don't really care, I plan on remodeling the bathroom in a couple of years anyway, but I was hoping it would last at least a year or two... It hasn't lasted 90 days!

So now here we are 2 months later and the damn thing is broken again. Keep in mind I have had to take off work for each visit they made to my house. I am out of vacation time and I can't do this anymore. The last time I asked the contractor who showed up "Doesn't your company work weekends?" and he said "Yes we do, but not for First American, they don't pay us enough." Seriously? Who says that???

So now that we're up to claim number 3. I am being forced to take off work because they will not authorize me to find a contractor who will work on a Saturday. I have been on the phone with their claims department and spoke with someone named "Marcello" who can only repeat policy like a trained parrot. I was told the contract said I had to "make myself available" and I was not going to get another contractor because no one works weekends. That is nothing but B.S. I did a quick google search and found nearly every plumber has weekend coverage available.

He then told me If I wanted someone who could come by on the weekends I had to pay for it myself! I cannot take off work. I AM OUT OF TIME because the contractors they work with are too incompetent to get it right the first time. This is outrageous. If I could give a negative rating, I certainly would! This entire experience has turned me against home warranties. My sister is a real estate agent and I have told her that she should save her customers the headache and NEVER recommend a home warranty from this company!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When my wife and I bought this house, the previous owner threw First American in to sweeten the deal and my wife and I have renewed it every year since. However, last year and this year have been bad. We've come to find out there are some big holes in the coverage. We went through Hurricane Harvey. We didn’t get flooded but our power was out for a while so the refrigerator ended up with a burned out motor and it wasn’t covered. Our dryer's heating element burned out and was not covered as well. My garage door's huge steel spring that turns the garage and brings it up broke, which very rarely happens, and that was not covered in the plan either. It's frustrating.

We have an older AC unit and that’s one of the biggest reasons why we kept the warranty because we don’t know how much life that thing has left. Then we found out from a buddy of mine who has his own AC company that it doesn’t cover much of that either. Certainly, it doesn’t cover a brand new system so I'm concerned about that and I don't know if we'll be renewing next year. Other than that, everybody that First American had sent out has been great, very nice and timely.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

First American sucks. They're not in the business of paying claims. They're in the business of denying claims. I have pool equipment and central to that is the control unit. That unit failed but because it's not a pump, it wasn't covered under the warranty. But how can you have a pool system that has pumps and a control board where the control board is not part of the pool equipment? I had a horrible customer service experience. On top of that, they're unresponsive and difficult to file a claim with. You have to follow up multiple times to make sure the claim is filed. And they use, arguably, the most unreliable repair people. Some are more knowledgeable but others are not well versed.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

On July 2, a contractor stated that the AC needed a new motor. I had to prompt the company to follow up on the part on July 9. They rarely get back to you within the 24 hour time frame that they state on their customer site. On July 11 they state they go the work order, and it could take three business days to review. On July 13 they approved and ordered the part, supposedly 5-7 business days, then the contractor would contact me for install.

There has been no further movement since then. Due to the first delay, I had a "claim specialist" assigned to me. On July 30 I requested an update, obviously frustrated, but not swearing. No answer on the 31st. On Aug. 1, a response stating that they were trying to reach the contractor, and a new "claim specialist" was assigned to me. Aug. 2, no update. Aug. 3, no update, no response. Aug. 6, no update, no response. I am being punished for their inability to contact their contractor. I have a contract with First American Home Warranty. They are failing.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

It’s easy to file a claim with First American, but dealing with their reps a quarter of the time wasn’t as good. The quality of their contractors’ work has been very good, but there’s a lack of repair approvals when they’re on site and I’ve had to have them come back several times to fix something.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My previous home warranty company was raising their service charge so I looked out for a different one. First American had a lower service charge and I've done well in terms of claims except for once. I had an issue with my garage door and when the technician came out, they said what I needed was not covered by the insurance. But I couldn't get my car in my garage. I needed to get the door fixed so I paid over $200 out of my pocket to get it fixed with the people that came out anyways. And then First American still tried to charge me the $75 service fee. It wasn't even covered. Why did I have to pay that? They said it was because I called them.

I was very upset and I had a tough time trying to speak with a supervisor. I had to yell and demand and yet, they refused to transfer me to a supervisor. I asked them why and they said no. I had never experienced that before. It was also very interesting that I had to fight to get to speak to a supervisor. I'm in customer service and that shouldn't be the case. In the end, they decreased the fee. But I had terrible service. The people in the call center were awful. So filling claims is not the greatest thing I've had with First American. They have poor customer service. I hope the company decides to change the way they do business and how they treat their clients.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Filing claims is fast. Before, I have to call. But now, they have the online service. When I filed claims through online, they would call me right away even though they said 24 to 48 hours. The contractors are good, except for the other ones. If they say that they will reschedule and follow up, that is the time that I have to think 'cause sometimes it's been a while that I have to call another vendor outside to fix whatever I need to be fixed.

I had a claim for our LG dryer and they said they don't cover that brand. So, I had to cancel the service for that but they were still asking for the fee. The contractor won't work on it so I got a vendor outside. Then I have a pending request for the dishwasher and that has been a month now. The contractor said they will ask First American if they will cover the hose they need to replace. I followed up three times, but until now, I did not get a call from them. I've been with First American for more than seven years and I didn't have any problem with them except for this year. But I'm still giving them a chance and I like them. My friend is also a First American member.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

First American came with the house and I just kept renewing it every year. I have submitted claims both online and over the phone, although it was easier to do it online. My HVAC was out and I called it in on a Friday and it was the following Thursday before they could even get anybody there. It was also a little expensive at times. However, they were usually responsive for the other stuff. I had issues with the garage door as well as with the plumbing and in both instances, they came out the next day. I had one contractor where they did really well other than they didn't have the parts, so they had to get the parts and it was another two days before they could come back and replace everything. There was another time when the contractors came out for a simple fix and they were in and out.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This is a terrible home warranty company. Service is never quick. It takes two to three days to get assigned a contractor. It then takes two to three days minimum to get an appointment. They never have any parts, so you have to wait several days to weeks for them to get parts. (This past time I looked online as the repairman was still at my house and the part I needed could be shipped out that day if ordered by 5:00 pm. Two weeks later, and I've still not had the appliance repaired.) Then they need to schedule another appointment. This past incident, there were two problems with my refrigerator. The repairman only looked into one, so he will have to come back again, after ordering more parts. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I called First American when I submitted my claims and they got somebody here to fix the problems that I had. The technicians were fine and were all local people so I did not have any problems. Recently, I had a claim for my garage door and the man who came out had it fixed in 20 minutes. However, the fees keep going up and I’m not happy about that. When I started out in 2003, it cost me $27 a month and now, it’s $70 a month. Also, my deductible has gone up from $20 to $75. Other than that, the quality of work has been excellent.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

We have two houses that First American takes care of, and we've been serviced well. Most of the time, submitting a claim with them is fine. And I prefer to call because I know talking to a live person is actually gonna get a claim taken care of. On the internet, sometimes it gets lost. But their customer service department isn't the greatest in terms of their professionalism. They don’t know how to talk to a customer if there's a dispute 70% of the time. And as far as the technicians that they've sent out, 80% of the time, they're good and 20%, they probably don’t have the knowledge that they should have.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I've had First American for years and we called them to submit a claim when I had to have some work done as the hot water heater went out. They sent someone to check the washing machine about the leak and it turned out to be the hot water heater. So, we had to have emergency work and no one called me back and told me about it. I didn’t want the hot water heater to flood the people below me and so I had to go with the people in the building to do it. I plan on sending the invoices of the work I had done and see if they could pay part of it. Another was when I had the stove down one time and it took them three weeks to get it done. First American doesn’t use top-grade technicians and I was wondering looking around myself for something else.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Terrible company. This whole company is a ripoff. They don’t cover anything and require service done through their company that charges triple. They say they will cover the cost of repairs until the bill is submitted. Don’t ever use this company.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When I started with American Home Shield, I was paying a minimal amount and every year, that and the service call amount would go up so I decided to change it. I started looking online and came across First American. When I spoke to them, I was told that mine would be the same and it wouldn't increase on a regular basis. The others that I spoke with told me that they go up a different amount every year just like AHS so I chose First American. The claim process was easy and when the contractors get to your house, they greet you and introduce themselves. You already know that they’re coming and they’re prompt. It’s close to the time they have arranged. I work in Downtown, Houston and I ride the bus so, I have to work with them to get a time when I could get home and be there when they arrive. The technician’s work was fine, I haven’t had any problems and the service was good.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

When buying out an existing home, getting a homeowner's warranty was standard, at least for the first year and First American was the home warranty that was chosen by the sellers of the house I moved into. I’ve been with them for five years and I used to submit claims by phone but I found that it was easier to do it online. First American's response was very quick and it was certainly no more than 24 hours. The interactions I had with their contractors have all been fine but one vendor took three times to get it done right. Also, when our air conditioning condenser had to be replaced, there was a bunch of stuff that had to be done in addition to just replacing it that was not covered by the warranty. It winded up being several hundred dollars so it came as a surprise to me and I was not thrilled about it. Other than that, I’ve been happy with the service and the value I’ve gotten out of it.

First American Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

First American Home Warranty was founded in 1984. The company is part of the First American family of businesses, which have a long history of financial stability. The company offers different coverage plans depending on the home’s location. Consumers can see details and get quotes online.

• Extensive coverage: The basic policy offered by First American Home Warranty includes a full list of systems and appliances, many of which are typically only covered with an enhanced home warranty policy.

• High coverage limits: First American Home Warranty has high limits for most repairs and replacements, so expensive items are fully covered. The company pays up to $250 for fixing code violations and obtaining permits.

• Claims hours: Service requests can be made 24 hours per day, seven days per week by phone and online; service requests are generally filled within 48 hours.

• Unlimited calls: First American Home Warranty does not limit the number of service requests a customer can make during their warranty period.

• Service providers: First American Home Warranty screens all service providers before hiring them to make repairs in consumers’ homes. They also monitor customer satisfaction with service providers' performance.

• Best for: homebuyers, real estate agents and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First American Home Warranty Company Information

1984
Santa Rosa
855-292-5827
homewarranty.firstam.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business