Call toll free
3.14/5
Based on 1,105 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had a garage door problem. First American Home Warranty sent somebody out. I’m not a mechanic, but I said, “I think there’s something wrong with the motor.” Without looking nor testing the motor he said, “We need to change your springs and your rails.” I asked if it was covered and he said no and that’ll be around $1,500. And since he was busy, he would be able to come after dinner on his own time. I said okay, but I got to thinking about it. I looked at our coverage and it looked as though some of that was covered. But the problem was he didn’t look at the motor. I said I'd hold it off and called another garage door place on my own dollar, and asked them to come out and give me a look-see on the problem I got with the door. He came out and he pushed a button, and it was jumping and glitching. He took the cover off, and he said, “It’s your motor.” And I said, “Is it the spring or the rails?” “No, no, those are in good shape.”

I called First American back and they were really good enough to send another company. That company changed the motor and it’s been working perfectly since. Two weeks after that, my commode was overflowing so I called First American. A plumbing guy came out and said, “There’s nothing wrong with your toilet here.” I said, “Well, maybe it’s being stopped up.” He said, “The stoppage is gonna be in your front yard. We’re gonna have to dig it up and find the drain line and then unplug it.” I said, “You can’t put some plumber’s snake? I’ve got one that’s 20 feet long. I just didn’t wanna damage anything."

He said, “No. We can dig in your front yard and that would cost between $1,500 and $2,000, but that’s not gonna be covered.” I said, “Okay. I just don’t wanna do that just yet.” I called First American back again, and they sent another guy out. He said, “There’s nothing wrong with your drain.” He said it’s the toilet fixture itself. The toilet was split. There’s a fine line and that aggravated the flushing problem.

We got three contracts with First American, for our home and two rental properties. So, I was so mad with the two contractors that said that I had to replace the springs and the rails without even looking at the motor, and the other guy who wanted to dig my front yard. This kind experience just happened lately. We have been totally supportive with First American. As a matter of fact, I’m part of the homeowner’s association and I’ve often talked about them. And a lot of the homeowners have gone with them because of my involvement and my positive attitude. My concern was that some contractors try to take advantage of a person without going into the part that was really what was causing the problem.

First American has a couple of bad contractors that are in it for trying to spin the homeowner out of their money when it was something that was so obvious. If there’s a certain number of complaints, that company should be reconsidered for going out. My wife was close to going ahead with agreeing with this rail thing and digging up the front yard, which doesn’t make sense. But after we sorted it through, First American have been absolutely 100% with their response. I would recommend them over everybody else and I guarantee it. Had we not pursued that with First American and got somebody else out, we would’ve been in the red by about $4,000. Other than that, they have been perfect. We’re happy with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Alan, thank you for your feedback. Our records indicate that we have since dispatched another contractor who replaced the motor to your garage door opener and the job has been completed. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had a warranty since I bought my house as I figured it would be better if I do since I live in an older home. However, my previous home warranty did not cover some items that I liked covered, so I looked into First American and they said they would cover those. The thing is, I have an issue with my refrigerator that I have mentioned to them in the past, but it seemed like they don’t listen. I’ve been commenting that my refrigerator is breaking as it's making tons of noise, but they keep saying that they can do nothing about it because it’s not broken. I have stated that if it either breaks or explodes, it’s not just gonna cost the refrigerator. It might cost the wall and more damage to whoever is around it. I tell my kids to get out of the kitchen when they hear the noise. And whenever I get family in the house, they ask about the noise and say that it’s not normal.

It happens every day and at different times, like at 3 o’clock in the morning, I hear that thing like a cranking motor going on like a hammer - a super loud noise. A refrigerator is supposed to be quiet. I wrote First American an email. I sent them text messages. I wrote random notes to whoever it might be a concern but I don’t think anybody reads them. And the technician says the same thing, that he can’t do anything about it and he doesn’t have a work order for it.

Also, it’s a little frustrating when there are repeating items that keep on breaking. It just seems like an ongoing thing but I gotta pay the fee again. And I can’t change who they hire. They don’t sympathize, and whenever I call in concerns that I have for my house that have been repeatedly done, like something that we got done last year that I’m doing again, they say we should do a new claim. And there’s nothing I can do. I have to do that. I got to fix these things, especially when it comes to stoves, refrigerators, things that I have to use daily.

Then when I call to submit my claims, sometimes I get answers from reps that are polite, but others are not too polite. Some also don’t listen to what I have to say at all. They just want to book an appointment. And though some of the contractors they send are okay, some are not. They’re not very talkative. Sometimes the people don’t speak the language, and they don’t have a lot of communication. Also, they don’t clean up after themselves at times. Although I've had a company before that was good. I have been given different companies in the past, it's just that I cannot choose. The reps just tell me that somebody’s gonna contact me.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Over 27 years ago, I bought one of my homes in Las Vegas, I was aware that there was a buyer’s protection warranty with the house that I purchased under assumable loan. After I made purchase of the home, I inquired on keeping a home warranty within the first year. The warranty at the time was given to my wife and I for one year after the purchase. After consideration, within that year period of living in the home, we decided to pursue a home warranty on our own, and we chose First American. When we did the research, we came up with it and we’ve been with them in our two homes since.

Our claims with them always seem to come through one way or another in the process. I’ve learned in the last few years that First American is going through the on-call response to particular needs. When they turn around, they use out-of-the-country people to take the calls. They’re very courteous and polite, but there’s a little bit of a language barrier at times. I did experience some interpretation of phrases and language that are used in America that they seem to be a little confused on. They do get to the bottom of it, but in regards to officially having a call taker that would understand the complete needs, understanding the language seemed to be a barrier. First American should really re-examine it. And I’m not trying to be prejudicial, but I think they should relocate their answering service back in the United States.

Also, the people that First American contracts with seem to be a problem. It's not so much with the house in Las Vegas. It’s the house I have in Richmond Hill, Georgia, which is outside Savannah. Sometimes, they do not have enough contractors that are dependable to respond to the needs of the people because they don’t have enough service people in the area. And in some cases, we even use Sears, and I’ve had good luck with Sears in the Midwest and the West. But in the South, they refer to Sears, and Sears did not adequately fit the needs. They didn’t have technicians that were completely knowledgeable in the requirements on maintaining the equipment. So, in three occasions, they turned around and cancelled the appointments or there was a delay in three weeks to get here, and there was always confusion.

The technicians are below acceptable in the South, and in the Southeast Coast, it’s been below 50%. In the South, in some cases, I’d have to go to special claims adjustment. And it ended up being that I had to find a contractor, and then they would make the arrangement for reimbursement. Now, I have an issue here, which is finally getting resolved, and I’m happy with the way First American ended up taking care of it in the end.

I always recommend First American, because in my case, having it on two homes, it has been very beneficial for me. The amount of money that I pay out yearly for the coverage has worked out to my benefit with air conditioning units, pool, and appliances. It has worked out very well for me, and that was the purpose of maintaining a warranty. I’ve always promoted, but I always explain the issues I've had. There’s been some red tape, and I’m sure that every insurance company has some red tape. But I’ve had a very good successful rate with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Lawrence. Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

Original review: March 14, 2019

First American Home Warranty has taken care of and of any issues I have had in the three years that I have been with them. Most of the claims were resolved quickly and the only one I had an issue with was my built-in oven. It went out two years ago before Thanksgiving and I didn’t get it repaired until the day before Christmas because whoever came out measured wrong. It was supposed to be a 36 and they sent a 30, so they had to reorder it. I understand that you gotta wait for parts to come in but that one took a while.

The AC technicians were great. I had two of them go out within three months and First American was right there on the spot. They got me the new unit, came and put it in, and did an exceptional job. However, for the washer, I had to go through four technicians for the same problem and each one of them diagnosed something different. I work on industrial laundry equipment for a living and First American sent a technician out who said that the pump was bad. I told him it wasn’t the pump. The washer was not getting voltage and it was the control board. However, he said it was the pump and they ordered one. They sent another guy, he put the pump in and when he was done, my washer wouldn’t work at all. On his work order, it said, “Installed pump”. He didn’t test run it and when I got home that evening, I called back and told them that now, my washer doesn’t work at all.

Another guy was sent out and he said that it needed a wiring harness in the pump. I told him that it was the control board and it was not getting voltage to the pump. He ordered a pump and a wiring harness. Another technician was sent out by First American and it went to another company. The guy came out and he said it was the wrong wiring harness and then he said that the machine was beyond repair. Supposedly, it was in the control boards. I don’t fault First American, it was Sears who were sending out technicians who did not know. I showed the last technician my van and I told him that I would show him what I do for a living and that I work on fully automated washers and dryers at hotel, motels and resorts, and I've travelled the world doing it. He looked at me and asked if I knew what was wrong with it. I said I did and that was when he wrote that it could not be repaired.

I went back to First American and I asked what we were gonna do. They said they were gonna send the machine and I asked if that included a base because mine had one. They said that they don’t replace bases and that I could do a cash out. So I did and bought what I wanted. I was happy when it was all said and done. I am happy with the quality of work of First American and I will keep the warranty as long as I own my home.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Ray for your feedback!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Our ice maker claim was submitted five months ago and the gentleman who came out, Jeff, looked at the unit. He said that it needed to be replaced and that he was going to order it and it was gonna take a couple of weeks. He also asked me to close the call out and in my naiveness, I did. Two weeks later, I got a call from him saying the ice maker was in, so we did a service call agreement. When he was going to come out, he said he was backed up on another call and he needed to open up another four-hour callback time. I couldn't because I do shift-work and I needed to go in to work. We were going to do another callback, but I had to cancel the second time.

The third time, they cancelled on me again and I let it go, but I had somebody move in and we called Jeff back, but he said the call was complete and it wasn't. He asked me what kind of refrigerator I had and then said he'll deliver an ice maker from the warehouse. I live in a gated community and when he came to deliver it, he couldn't get in. I told him he would have to go around the other gate since the police department closed it down and he hung up on me after saying that it would have been nice to know before he drove all the way out. I thought this man was gonna be agitated and put my dog outside, but he was nice when he arrived. He put the ice maker in and said I was gonna have ice in four hours. When he came out, my friend and I watched a movie, came back, and we had no ice.

I called in the next day and got no response. It was the weekend, so I called on Monday and explained I didn't have any ice. Jeff told me to call my homeowner's company again and First American told me that because the call had been so long, I was gonna have to pay to have someone service out again. Jeff agreed that it was too long. One, I should have never closed the call out. Two, I had to convince him he replaced it. He knew the business and he knew exactly what he was doing, but I was willing to work with him to get the issue fixed. He said he would call me back, but he never calls back. He was rude and he hung up on me. My roommate, Jillian, heard him and asked to speak to him. We weren't gonna get far arguing, so I told her to go ahead.

She called Jeff this morning and he was irate with her as well. He said that we, women, do not understand that he was not gonna come out and we do not understand how ice makers work. He said it's been five months and he wasn't coming back out. She explained everything to him and when the call ended, he called her a ** and hung up. She called back wanting to speak to his supervisor and he said he owns the company. Jillian told him that we understood what he was trying to say and asked if he preferred to talk to our male roommate and he hung up on her again.

I was upset that he belittled us. He was irate from the beginning and he was extremely derogatory, demeaning and racist. He was not very professional or respectable. I called First American as soon as I spoke to Jillian and I spoke to a nice lady who apologized and said they were gonna send a different contractor. On a different note, I called for my washing machine recently and it was fixed and resolved through another company. I would recommend First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Margaret. Thank you for the feedback. We will be looking into the situation you have detailed below and appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

We had excellent service with the electrician you sent to take care of our electrical problem! He was efficient, hardworking, and extremely knowledgeable! We are so happy that we have our home warranty with you, First American Home Warranty. I recommend First American to anyone who wants to feel secure.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My plumbing service was great. Communication was perfect. Called right away and told us what they were doing the whole time. Explained everything. Very nice service. Would use again. Thanks for all your help.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I requested service twice from them. One time was for a locksmith and the other time it was for my exhaust fan. Both times they made it difficult for me to accommodate their schedule. They give a 4 hr. window and the contractor has to order parts only when they are on-site, which means there will be two service calls at least, so need to sacrifice 8 hr. for a simple job. And the contractor’s workmanship is only good for 30 days. My exhaust stopped working after 2 weeks from repair and I delayed in contacting them and by the time I called it was past 30 days. Now I had to again pay $75 service fee to get it initiated. There are a lot of little thing they do to create annoyance so you don't use their service. I hope I never signed up for their service.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I have never had a more frustrating time with a warranty company than I have had with First American. My 85 year old parents moved to Fayetteville NC and were left for weeks without working heat in their home in the fall season while we called and made new case after new case. Each time a case was opened they charged or tried to charge my parents a $75 service fee for the same issues with their 2 furnaces. Next we filed a claim for a plumbing issue and they sent a company that came and charged $75 again and didn't fix their bathroom issue. We had to track the plumber down and after 7 days, they told us that the warranty didn't cover the job that needed to be done. I've never seen a warranty service or companies who are doing this for a living be so lax or non responsive when getting back with its customers. BEWARE when you get a home warranty form First American as we suffered over the entire process working with them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have been a loyal customer of First American for the last two years. I have had zero problems with them until now. My contract expired in September. As I went to renew the contract I was told by an employee to call and it would be handled. I did so, but was instead given a new contract instead of having my prior one renewed. This meant that I had to wait 30 days before I could make any service requests. I called this morning to explain the situation and I was told by another employee that he would cancel the new contract and renew my previous one. Before that could be completed, his call dropped. I call back and another employee tells me the same. I ask him, just to be sure, if I would be having my prior contract renewed. He said yes.

After the process was finished, I compared the contract numbers and he had lied. He had given me a new contract. I just called back for the final time and am finally told that whether they renew my contract or give me a new one that my request for service would be denied because it would be considered a pre-existing condition. They specifically asked me what I needed fixed so that they could have a record of it and exclude me from coverage. Now I will have to become a customer elsewhere and wait 30 days with no heat with two infants because First American messed up my original renewal and then baited me into giving up my coverage for what I needed. Stay away from this company.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Marlon. We are sorry to hear that. Please provide your previous contract number so that we may look into this matter further.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
Septic tank system $500
*Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
  2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
  3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information