toll free
Call now for more information

First American Home Buyers Protection (First American Home Warranty)

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

First American Home Buyers Protection

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, Brian!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I either call or submit the claim online and First American usually calls me within 24 hours unless it's an emergency and they'll call me that day. I haven't had any problems scheduling an appointment. They've always been friendly, courteous, and willing to help. We had a problem with our heat pump and they sent someone out to fix it. The service tech told me that it was a fuse that went out. We've only had a problem with one person they sent out, and that's been a few years ago. It was actually a service rep from Sears and more of a language barrier issue. But they sent someone else out and fixed the situation. I was very happy with their work. First American uses pretty much all local service providers, so we haven't had any problems but they could try to put their coverage policy in simpler terms.

First American Home Buyers Protection

Thank you for being a loyal customer, Richard!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

I bought a house and got the homeowner's protection through the realtor. I previously had First American Home Buyers Protection but I had another company and didn't get the same service, so I switched back. I like talking to and filing my claim through a claim specialist. Everything's usually satisfactory although it can be problematic if it's over the weekend or at a time that's not good. But they're always sympathetic and try to figure out a way to make things work. I've been pretty pleased with that. Everything's always been good with their technicians and everybody is on top of everything.

The quality of their work is always right where it needs to be. I'm in construction so I’m usually right there and I see what's going on. I know what needs to be done. I never have to second guess anybody and it always works out really well. I had an issue with them one time but I got it resolved. In almost every experience, everything that has ever happened was always at least 98% good or better. It's been an outstanding experience. First American will be something that I’ll continue to do. I've been able to utilize it and pay for the service. One job can sometimes pay for a whole year, so it's definitely worth it for me.

First American Home Buyers Protection

We appreciate your business, Justin!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

First American came with my wife's house when she bought it. She had one year service and she kept it up. She's never had a problem with the service and if something happens, they're responsive in making sure claims are entertained. Whenever I have a claim, I call them and they get information from me.

I've done it online before but it's nice to be able to talk to a person because sometimes I don't seem to communicate well. Also, some of the things that you need to put a claim on needs a little bit more explanation than what you could put in a drop-down box. Then they find a contractor who comes out and looks at it. I get a confirmation usually from the vendor and they will let me know that they're coming out at whatever time, which is great because it's nice not having to take a whole day off for a service tech to come out for no reason. They get here and do what they're supposed to do. They'll tell us if a part is defective and call for authorization to fix or replace it. If it's over a certain threshold, they'll apologize and inform us that they're not going to replace or repair that. They also advise us to get back with the warranty company to know what we need to do next. Then I get a survey afterwards.

The last time we did that was when we had a washer go out on us. The only hiccup was when the company came out to look at it, they told us that First American wasn't going to cover it because the value of the item exceeded a certain threshold. But they said the unit will be replaced so I was waiting for somebody to call me. I didn't realize that this got entered on the electronic side and I had to login and accept something on the website. So I sat around for three or four days not knowing that I had to go on the website to click on something. When I called, somebody told me about it but nobody followed up with me in between that point. However, it's a minor thing which resulted only to a delay in ordering the item for a day or so. So if a replacement happens and somebody has to go online to do it, and I'm used to using the phone, it might be a good idea to give a courtesy call or something. But the quality of their work is 10 out of 10. Everything's excellent and we're happy with them. It's worth it.

First American Home Buyers Protection

We appreciate your feedback, Sherry.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

Working with the claims rep was a good experience. Plus, the work of the technicians has been great. A lot of people are really down on home warranties for some reason, saying that they refuse to fix anything because it's too old. I tell everybody that they should call First American because I haven't had that experience and everything I've called to First American has been fixed.

First American Home Buyers Protection

We appreciate your business, Edith.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

My friend had First American, and she said that it was great for her because whenever anything happens, she was able to call someone through them. It was also less expensive than when something would just break down. I started looking into it, and she said First American seems to be the best one. I've filed a claim online for the drain, and over the phone for the air conditioning system. It's very simple. The rep was very professional, and asked the correct questions because I had no idea how to explain everything. The technicians were very professional as well. I didn't have any issues with them.

The one that came to fix the AC explained the process, and was very good about calling me before he arrived. I explained to him that I have three pit bulls, so that I can secure them, and letting me know when he was going to walk into the house or leave. I really appreciated that. He figured out the problem right away, took the piece, and then came back with the correct piece to fix it. That was really quick too. He did caution me when he took it and said that it may take him a little bit long to find it but he was able to get it right away. It was like a week turnaround. It worked perfectly, and he did a great job. I've recommended First American to my family members.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Buyers Protection?

First American Home Buyers Protection

Thank you for being a loyal customer, Rand.

Original review: July 29, 2016

My realtor gave First American Home Buyers Protection to me when we purchased the house in 2010. Their claim process was easy. It’s an an automated system over the phone. Their technicians were almost entirely local and they’re very friendly and extremely competent. Based on our experience, I wouldn’t be without this coverage and that’s why we continue to renew it six years out.

First American Home Buyers Protection

We appreciate your business, Darryl.

Original review: July 27, 2016

By nature I'm a security-conscious type of guy and I make sure that my assets are protected. I did a three-source comparison of home warranty providers after doing an online search, then picked the best of the three, and First American came on top. I have them for a while and I've had no problems nor issues. My Master's degree is in Business Intelligence and I look for customer relations when I interact with people, and the First American reps were aboveboard with their customer relations, attitude, and the way they approached me and handled the situation. I really appreciated that. They were very professional and customer-oriented. They've always been prompt and informative, and worked with our schedule most of the time. The work they did was very good, and if there's ever an issue, they don't have a problem coming back out to address it.

First American Home Buyers Protection

Thank you for sharing your experience, Cara.

Original review: July 24, 2016

The realtor arranged for the purchase of First American for our new home. We had it for a year and then we repurchased. The person who called to help me renew the policy was so personable, helpful, and she went over everything so carefully. She gave me the confidence to feel that it is really a good plan. At this point, I have submitted two claims, and it’s always been good when I talked with their claims rep. The first contractor was really great. I was impressed. In fact, I’m going to rehire him to put new pipes in my house. The second contractor was adequate. When there was a problem with some of the works that were done and I called back to get help, First Am were helpful and nice to me and arranged to have it fixed. They were really cooperative with making sure what had been done was correct. So, I will re-buy again next year.

I have 5 outstanding issues. None of them look like they will be fixed shortly. This insurance was a total waste of our money and time. I spoke with a supervisor today and it does not seem that anything will be fixed soon. Every time I call I have to spend at least 10 minutes to actually get to speak with somebody. The companies that they worked with are super busy and always have to wait for at least a week to have anybody come to my home. I am just very disappointed and I could not believe that they actually receive good reviews!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been with First American for four and a half years and I'm satisfied. I have referred them to our neighbors. Submitting a claim was easy, but they don't always send the same company back. They also don't give the top upgraded appliances. A year ago, I had my inside air conditioning unit replaced with a Carrier unit and the two new people didn't do it right. Not all of the technicians know exactly what they're doing. I've had nothing but problems with the unit.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I have been a customer of FAHW for 9 years and previously have had only minor issues to have to call them for. In the past they were usually pretty good about sending a technician (even though I sometimes did not care for the technicians they chose and ended up spending more money on a service call than the part was worth). My biggest issue with this company has been a claim that I made last month for my refrigerator. There were FOUR parts that needed to be replaced on my stainless side-by-side KitchenAid. Two of the parts are no longer made by the manufacturer. Instead of offering me a reasonable replacement option, they insisted they could "find the parts" for my 12 year old refrigerator.

So, I am now into Day 39 of waiting on my "refurbished" parts to be installed, and who knows if they will work when they actually get installed. (This was during the Thanksgiving holiday so you can imagine having 15 people at your house without a functioning refrigerator.) They assured me nearly two weeks ago that the parts were being 2 day air-mailed and that I would have them before the holidays, however, that was false and I did not receive them until a full week after they told me I would get them. I have had trouble getting someone to return my calls, answer my emails and generally the most horrible customer service I have ever received. I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our realtor on the last home we purchased recommended First American and I was just glad I got the referral. We used First American in the last home and so we knew to use them again for the newest purchase. They were responsive and helpful, and have gotten every issue that we've filed a claim on resolved.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I already had home warranty but was not pleased with the service provider that I had. So far, it's been really great with First American. It’s very easy to submit a claim online, and the technician contacts me and schedules the time quickly to come out. For the most part, they have all been pleasant and easy to work with. There have been a couple of instances when I didn’t feel like they had a sense of urgency or were taking the claim seriously, but that’s a very small percentage of the claims that I’ve filed. I just want whatever the issue is resolved, and that normally takes place. With First American, I can't complain.

Third time around I was disappointed. On Black Friday I woke up and my garage door did not open. The spring was broken. Both my cars were inside garage and I could not even open the door manually to get the cars out. I called home warranty immediately and they assigned a contractor who after 48 hrs also hasn't called me to schedule an appointment where the turn around time is less than 24 hrs for an emergency. I call First American to have contractor changed or reassigned and they did nothing to help me. Unfortunately I had to call a contractor on my own to get the spring replaced for which I ended up paying close to $250 and First American is denying the claim telling me why did I not wait for the original contractor to call me. Horrible and disgusting. This company has no shame what so ever.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a home warranty before with another company and it was pretty good. After a lot of stuff buckle up and as equipment become old, I don't want to go and keep paying. I checked in on a couple of warranty companies and I like First American. They look like a better company than what I've researched. They are straightforward with no fine print we have to have a magnifying glass to read. Their claims rep was great and the tech knew what he was doing and didn’t take five minutes to fix. It was all great from start to end.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When we first had our house listed for sale, a realtor said we needed to have coverage for the first year. I went online and then made a few calls. Different companies have different house call fees. I talked to some other peers and they had higher house calls on this one warranty company. Several people also had this type of home insurance and had tried it for a year but canceled because the house call fee was so expensive and they didn't get what they expected. Thus I did some more research online and some more calling. I talked to some realtors as well.

I eventually chose First American. And when I once called First American about a claim, they sent a subcontractor out. All of their technicians have been good, although I had a problem with one company that wouldn't take my credit card. So I just called back First American and they assured me that it was a safe company and that everything was covered. They've been more than cooperative. And when I get a problem with a subcontractor, they just send a different one next time.

I live in a very old home and I appreciate that they agreed to cover us anyway even though our appliances were old. They have also replaced a couple of items over the years. We've had them for four or five years and they've done everything they said they would do. One does have to read the fine print and understand what the warranty is covering but once that's understood, their warranty is absolutely wonderful. So, I have frequently recommended First American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Claim submission have always been very easy with First American. Their reps are always friendly and knowledgeable and all of their technicians have been good, except for one that was really bad. He was saying a bunch of racist things and talking about how many guns he owns. My husband is from California and Jewish and that technician was making fun of Jews and people from California. It was just a bad apple out of the million we've used. So the next time that plumbing company came out, I requested that we not have the same person. We've been happy with First American overall but I think the quality of the work is mediocre. They fix the immediate problem but not necessarily the root of the problem. Still their warranty is very reliable and it's a good investment.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It is very easy to submit a claim with First American. Everything that they claimed to cover has been covered and I've been very happy. The claims reps were very friendly and the technicians are knowledgeable and timely. I've had no problems at all and I'm very satisfied with the quality of the work performed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I bought the house, the company that arranged it gave me insurance for the house for two years with First American. It's easy to submit a claim. The claims representatives were courteous and fast acting so I'm very content. The technician for the dishwasher claim I had was professional and had a good follow through. He had to order some parts and it took a little while to get here but he did good and the machine is working good. First American has overall good service.

Resolution In Progress

Called them in late March 2016 to fix a built in microwave turntable. It took the people that they contracted the work out to about a week to come to my home to determine what the problem was which was fine with me because I had kept the microwave that I had in my apartment. 3 different contractors were used, it took until late August 2016 and the front of my microwave being scratched up for them to finally get it fixed. I would not allow this company to fix anything else in my home even if it were for free and when they called me to renew my contract I let them know it. They really suck!!!

Factual basis uncertain

My household had been with American Home Shield (AHS) for over 10 years and had no problems at all, but when First American (FA) offered us premiums that were 1/3 less, I opted to give them a shot. So, my monthly premium went from $75 to $50. After 3 months of paying my premium my dishwasher started having problems. I called FA and they said it would take F-O-U-R days to get Sears out to my house. I had already checked to see if our AHS contracted repair company - Greenway - was an authorized contractor...and they were. When I asked FA to send Greenway they said they couldn't. So we waited 4 days, Sears came out, said they fixed it and they left.

When my wife came home and turned on the dishwasher, it wasn't fixed. Same issue. She spent 2 hours on the phone trying to get someone who actually spoke English and she finally gave up when I told her I would deal with it in the morning. I called them at 8am and got the same run around for 1 hour, and finally got someone on the phone who said they could send S-E-A-R-S out again...in F-O-U-R days. I asked them to send Greenway instead since SEARS screwed up the last visit. They said they couldn't.

Keeping in mind that Thanksgiving is 6 days away... and we are having 25 people over, I told FA to go to... well... You can finish that sentence yourself. I called Greenway to repair it. They came out in 3 hours...and pulled a rubber band out of the drain pump. Dishwasher fixed. First American contract is canceled and I suggest that N-O-B-O-D-Y ever use this company. They are crooks. Can you imagine your airconditioning being on the fritz when it is 100+ degrees outside and they tell you it will take 4 days for a moron to come look at it?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American was part of the mortgage process when we purchased our home 12 years ago. We've gotten good service from them in terms of being able to call in claims and having it mostly resolved in relatively short order. It's easy to reach someone and they have the online aspect, though we basically call their number. Depending on the nature of the problem, they tell us someone will call and then an actual vendor calls us back mostly within the allotted time. It usually takes a day but most of the time, the vendors call within eight to 12 hours and we negotiate times with the vendor from there. When they come out, the guy who works on on the problem tells us if additional parts or time are needed. We generally pay for the call at that point if anything of issue was needed or told. The quality of work has been acceptable to good and only once or twice did we have someone come out for the exact same reason and that's over since.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I usually submit a claim on the phone to First American through the automated process because it's more convenient for me. The technicians that I have used most recently have been really great and the plumbing company, Master Tech, has been outstanding. They fixed a few things for me and I've been really pleased with it. But it seems that my air conditioning was going out every year for some reason. They did a replacement the last time and it has helped with the unit. Before that, I just kept having this recurring problem. First American is easy to deal with and I'm satisfied.

Purchased the home warranty in 2011. Reasoning behind purchase was to have my property covered since I was going to move out of state and have the property rented. I figured if something breaks I could call them and they would send the proper contractor, someone they vetted for ahead of time, to perform the repairs and I would not have to deal with shopping for contractor.

It worked out ok for the most part of 5 years, specially when there was no need for repairs. Every time a repair was needed, there was a $65.00 co-pay. I was aware of it and was ok with it, convenience has its price. However, in more than one occasion, there was something associate with the repair that was not covered, so I had to dish out more money to have whatever broke fixed.

The most recent case, and the one that put me over the edge: On a Tuesday I receive a call from the tenants saying that the water heater is leaking water, they shut down water and gas to the house and they call me to have the water heater checked. I call First American, and they send someone over the next day, Wednesday. After receiving the report from the contractor, they order a new water heater, Wednesday sometime in the late afternoon. On Thursday they realized they ordered the wrong one, so they order a new one.

Friday comes around and both the tenants and myself are wondering what is going on with the repair. After endless time spent holding while trying to get in touch with a customer service representative, I am told that the water heater is not going to be delivered until Monday. Oh, by the way, some portion of the water heater replacement process are not covered, at this point I do not even care to know what those charges are for, so, on top of the monthly fees, and the call out fee, I have to pay an extra $450.00 (four hundred fifty).

By now the tenants have been without hot water for 4 day, and the prospect is that they will not get hot water at least until Monday, best case scenario. THEY ARE NOT HAPPY. After a few more phone calls, mostly waiting on hold, I am finally offered a cash out option of $423.70, according to them, it is how much it will cost them to replace the water heater.

I decided to take the cash out option and called Home Depot. They come out less than 24 hrs after I called and replaced the water heater. They could have done it the same day, if it wasn't for the fact that I called them some time too late in the day (must have been 4 or 5 pm). Had to wait on hold while trying to talk with someone at First American.

Bottom line: I purchased the Home Warranty for peace of mind (they would allegedly cover any major appliances, water heater, air conditioning etc) and to have fast and reliable service when I could not be available to contact and negotiate with contractors. Over the 5 years of purchasing the home insurance, at about $50/month, I could have replaced 2 water heater, without the hassle I had to go thru and with timely and effective service. Next step, cancel contract. DO NOT BUY INTO THIS PROGRAM!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American was the insurance that the original homeowners got as part of our requirements when we bought the house. Submitting a claim with them was not longer than anyone else, though it was still a little bit long. Everybody’s got their phone tree set up. They try to do everything electronic but it's annoying that I have to wait through paces. I wish it was a little bit more streamlined. I'd rather get on the phone and talk to somebody for a minute to 30 seconds. I didn't like the steps trying to get to a claims representative but when I spoke to one, he was very quick. He had an ability to understand what the needs are and set up the service quickly.

The HVAC representative that came to our home was very thorough and very knowledgeable. I've seen different reps come out for HVAC in the last five years that we have rented a home, but this representative that came out was exceptional. He's one of the best ones that I've ever seen and experienced. We haven't had an issue since then. First American did such a good job with the air conditioning unit that I really enjoyed them as a warranty company. They do very well in meeting the client's needs.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience when submitting a claim with First American was excellent. I had one phone conversation with a claims rep and then two service people called, came out, and took care of the issues. Everything was fine and I'm very satisfied.

Purchased a warranty through my realtor as the home seller and had a call on my HVAC. The Tech came out to look at the HVAC after an inspection report suggested it be evaluated. HVAC Tech said system was fine and put in a little Freon. I needed a copy of his inspection to provide the buyer that I had the system checked and it was fine. Warranty company had two files uploaded to my account and one said my system was broken, leaking and had bad parts. The other said it was ok and Freon was added.

They didn't care that there was a bogus file and they didn't care that it was going to hurt me. Told me to hire another HVAC person to come look at my system and if it wasn't broken to let them know. I was treated rudely and the HVAC company they sent was from over 200 miles away. RUN. Don't walk. RUN from this company. They would not email us any documents on what they had. Said our claim was denied. There was nothing to deny. Nothing was broken. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told NO.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was shopping around for different policies two years ago and I met one of the reps of First American. She answered all my questions and told me how good the company was. I was a little skeptical, so I told her I'll think about it. And then I ended up calling her back and she was really good, explained everything to me and told me what my needs are. She really made a lot of sense and that’s what made me go with First American.

I like First American. I had another property that had a different home warranty and I brought that property onto this policy. We have them both together because it's the best experience we ever had with a good warranty company. They're really quick. And any time I call the customer service, they're there right away. Their technicians were also awesome. The quality of their work is better than the last company I had. They didn’t ask so many questions. They got to the problem and fixed it. They said they were gonna be out the next day and were back at exactly the time they said they were gonna be. First American has really outdone their self with keeping customer service number one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American came with the house when we bought it. We never had any problems when submitting a claim. We do it over the phone and we have had good conversations with their reps. The technicians were always pleasant and courteous. I have no complaints with the work they have done.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had a few claims this year and First American did a good job on the plumbing issue. But, we finally got my AC fixed after a little bit over two months. I was very unsatisfied with the contractor. The first two contractors that they gave me were just horrible. They were not professionally dressed and they wanted to go out and look at my AC at 11:00 at night. That won’t work with me. After over a month and a half, I had to request to get my own contractor and get an authorization. It was a bad experience with the AC. I just wish they would have better contractors out here down in West, Texas, or at least they could authorize right away which contractor we would like instead of waiting for their contractors.

First American Home Buyers Protection Company Profile