Call toll free
3.17/5
Based on 1,179 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

04/11/2019

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

04/13/2019

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 19, 2019

Over 27 years ago, I bought one of my homes in Las Vegas, I was aware that there was a buyer’s protection warranty with the house that I purchased under assumable loan. After I made purchase of the home, I inquired on keeping a home warranty within the first year. The warranty at the time was given to my wife and I for one year after the purchase. After consideration, within that year period of living in the home, we decided to pursue a home warranty on our own, and we chose First American. When we did the research, we came up with it and we’ve been with them in our two homes since.

Our claims with them always seem to come through one way or another in the process. I’ve learned in the last few years that First American is going through the on-call response to particular needs. When they turn around, they use out-of-the-country people to take the calls. They’re very courteous and polite, but there’s a little bit of a language barrier at times. I did experience some interpretation of phrases and language that are used in America that they seem to be a little confused on. They do get to the bottom of it, but in regards to officially having a call taker that would understand the complete needs, understanding the language seemed to be a barrier. First American should really re-examine it. And I’m not trying to be prejudicial, but I think they should relocate their answering service back in the United States.

Also, the people that First American contracts with seem to be a problem. It's not so much with the house in Las Vegas. It’s the house I have in Richmond Hill, Georgia, which is outside Savannah. Sometimes, they do not have enough contractors that are dependable to respond to the needs of the people because they don’t have enough service people in the area. And in some cases, we even use Sears, and I’ve had good luck with Sears in the Midwest and the West. But in the South, they refer to Sears, and Sears did not adequately fit the needs. They didn’t have technicians that were completely knowledgeable in the requirements on maintaining the equipment. So, in three occasions, they turned around and cancelled the appointments or there was a delay in three weeks to get here, and there was always confusion.

The technicians are below acceptable in the South, and in the Southeast Coast, it’s been below 50%. In the South, in some cases, I’d have to go to special claims adjustment. And it ended up being that I had to find a contractor, and then they would make the arrangement for reimbursement. Now, I have an issue here, which is finally getting resolved, and I’m happy with the way First American ended up taking care of it in the end.

I always recommend First American, because in my case, having it on two homes, it has been very beneficial for me. The amount of money that I pay out yearly for the coverage has worked out to my benefit with air conditioning units, pool, and appliances. It has worked out very well for me, and that was the purpose of maintaining a warranty. I’ve always promoted, but I always explain the issues I've had. There’s been some red tape, and I’m sure that every insurance company has some red tape. But I’ve had a very good successful rate with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Lawrence. Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Our ice maker claim was submitted five months ago and the gentleman who came out, Jeff, looked at the unit. He said that it needed to be replaced and that he was going to order it and it was gonna take a couple of weeks. He also asked me to close the call out and in my naiveness, I did. Two weeks later, I got a call from him saying the ice maker was in, so we did a service call agreement. When he was going to come out, he said he was backed up on another call and he needed to open up another four-hour callback time. I couldn't because I do shift-work and I needed to go in to work. We were going to do another callback, but I had to cancel the second time.

The third time, they cancelled on me again and I let it go, but I had somebody move in and we called Jeff back, but he said the call was complete and it wasn't. He asked me what kind of refrigerator I had and then said he'll deliver an ice maker from the warehouse. I live in a gated community and when he came to deliver it, he couldn't get in. I told him he would have to go around the other gate since the police department closed it down and he hung up on me after saying that it would have been nice to know before he drove all the way out. I thought this man was gonna be agitated and put my dog outside, but he was nice when he arrived. He put the ice maker in and said I was gonna have ice in four hours. When he came out, my friend and I watched a movie, came back, and we had no ice.

I called in the next day and got no response. It was the weekend, so I called on Monday and explained I didn't have any ice. Jeff told me to call my homeowner's company again and First American told me that because the call had been so long, I was gonna have to pay to have someone service out again. Jeff agreed that it was too long. One, I should have never closed the call out. Two, I had to convince him he replaced it. He knew the business and he knew exactly what he was doing, but I was willing to work with him to get the issue fixed. He said he would call me back, but he never calls back. He was rude and he hung up on me. My roommate, Jillian, heard him and asked to speak to him. We weren't gonna get far arguing, so I told her to go ahead.

She called Jeff this morning and he was irate with her as well. He said that we, women, do not understand that he was not gonna come out and we do not understand how ice makers work. He said it's been five months and he wasn't coming back out. She explained everything to him and when the call ended, he called her a ** and hung up. She called back wanting to speak to his supervisor and he said he owns the company. Jillian told him that we understood what he was trying to say and asked if he preferred to talk to our male roommate and he hung up on her again.

I was upset that he belittled us. He was irate from the beginning and he was extremely derogatory, demeaning and racist. He was not very professional or respectable. I called First American as soon as I spoke to Jillian and I spoke to a nice lady who apologized and said they were gonna send a different contractor. On a different note, I called for my washing machine recently and it was fixed and resolved through another company. I would recommend First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Margaret. Thank you for the feedback. We will be looking into the situation you have detailed below and appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had First American when I bought my home and kept it. All the reps were very professional. However, when we called in and put in a claim, it seemed like it always showed some company that was not even here in the Palmdale and Lancaster areas. They were always contracting out to somebody that has to come up from the Valley and take an hour and a half ride to get to me. First American was right here in the area so, I had to go back and forth with them. I told them who I wanted and they told me that they may not be available. So then, I tell them that I understand they may not be available, but these are the people that I really want to come in my house.

First American had a company come here from down below and they were not professional and was rude. They did the work but I wasn't that satisfied. So, the next time that I had a situation that encountered that same type of work almost to be done, I told them I didn’t want these people coming back to my house. When I initially bought my home, I knew they were gonna call All American Plumbing. They were right here and not even 20 minutes away from my house. I knew who I was gonna be dealing with and if I needed to drive over there for something, I knew I can drive there to do it. These other people coming in from somewhere else act mad when they get here because they had to drive through all that traffic to get up here in the mountains where I live. We're in Antelope Valley but it's the mountains. So, people have to travel.

I would love for First American to take note and see what companies they have that have their businesses here and who have some availability. Also, you got to wait for the people to call. The rep from First American gave me the telephone number and name of the company which they told me to call if I didn’t hear from them on that day. In some cases, they do. However, in other cases, they will call you through the next day or two days later because of their scheduling.

I gotta be smart and when the rep gives me the number, I would call the contractors after we hang up. I would ask them if they see an order for me. They would check and if they were booked up, they would ask if it would be okay to have somebody the next day which would be fine. First American should let us know what and how many companies they have in the area. Their reps said they didn’t know because everything is computerized. They just put the information in there and it spits out these different companies.

A pipe burst in my laundry room and First American had the plumber come in to fix the problem. However, when it came down to the damage that the water did, I had to use my homeowner's insurance and they had to get in contact with our contractor that came here who got all that stuff out and re-put in all the drywall and stuff in my laundry room and redid it.

My daughter just recently got their plan from First American when they bought their home. I would recommend it because it's a thing that you need. Any homeowner should have something like that because it comes very handy. Going through trying to use your mortgage insurance is crazy. The more you use your mortgage insurance, the more it goes up, every time you file a claim. You gotta give the people $75 to come in and fix and repair or replace whatever the problem is and this is affordable.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Ida for taking the time to provide us with your review. We appreciate it and look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

When I bought the house that I'm living in four years ago, it came with a First American Home Warranty that was paid for one year. When I make a claim, a phone call is easiest. I tell them my problem and they ask for my number, address, or account number. They also ask on when they can send somebody out, and that they will have the people call me and set that up. If I go online, it will take me 20 minutes to get to the right place I need to be. Then, I'll put in the wrong information or push the wrong button, and it'll erase everything.

I moved in on October and 30 days after that, my hot water heater went out on a Wednesday, and Thanksgiving was Thursday. Everybody was off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I called First American and told them about it, and that water was dripping out of it going down the drain, that it was not lit anymore, and it was leaking. They said that they would send somebody out, and they'd call me and set up a time that's good for me. They did that and they replaced the hot water heater including the little backflow thing that goes with it. It was $1,300 but they didn't bat an eye.

About a year later, my washing machine went out. I tried a different company because that company was cheaper. They said they'd send me $125 towards the purchase of a new one. I told them that the last company I had either fix or replace it and not give me $125 toward a new one. I got rid of them and I came back to First American. First American sent a repairman out here and he couldn't fix it. He said that the threads were shot on the drain thing and I gotta have a whole new basket and a rotary thing. It came up to be more money than buying a new machine so First American sent me an email saying to pick out a washing machine that I'd like. They gave me about nine choices and what they recommended wasn't the cheapest, but it was the biggest. It was good for a good-sized family so they delivered that, hauled away the old one, and set the new one up. How could I go wrong?

The last thing was a refrigerator that was leaking water out from underneath it and coming out in the front, and it was starting to warp my wooden floor. They sent a guy out from Sears and the guy said that sometimes those tubes get frozen, and when they do, the water backs up and ends up going up underneath the fridge. He aired it out with a heater thing, cleaned it all up and fixed it. It worked fine ever since.

I've had a lot of help from First American. I brag about them all the time 'cause they save me a ton of money. And with $66 a month, in 10 months, that's $660. That's not even half of what the hot water heater costs. I have gained more than I've spent with the hot water heater, the washing machine, and fixing the refrigerator. I got an outside freezer an outside central air conditioning, a central heat, forced-air heating that is down in the basement area, and all the other appliance in the house that are covered by them. If one of those goes out, then I've got to really make out 'cause those are expensive to replace. Just like the advertisement says, "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when." I'm totally satisfied with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Bob for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are happy to hear about your experiences with our company. We look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was doing some research online for a home warranty protection plan and I spoke to a couple of different representatives from a few different home warranty companies, and I really felt that First American was my best way to cope. The representative was exceptional and answered all of my questions. He was very honest with me and he wasn't pulling any punches.

Submitting claims with them has been a very seamless process and one particular person that I've worked with was extremely satisfactory and exceeded all my expectations. However, I had a lot of issues with the manager in the appliance repair company. He was very sneaky and he was not giving me the straight story. He was very condescending and very rude to me. The process was also very long because he kept saying how busy he was. So, I went without a refrigerator for about seven weeks. He kept blaming First American for not getting back with him and he told me that I should have gone with Old Republic, not First American because Old Republic is much better.

I told him that I didn't think he was being honest with me and that he was the one who was dropping the ball. He said that he wasn't gonna do my job and that I could go somewhere else and start the process all over again. It was unfortunate, but it didn't have anything to do with First American, other than him representing one of the subcontractors for First American.

I told the guy that I didn't wanna have any more issues and if he would just go ahead and see it through, that would be great. He came over to do the work himself with another technician and he told me if I didn't say a word to him and didn't address him in any way, he would come over and do my job. He told me he really didn't want to do my business. He was treating me like a child and he didn't want to assume responsibility. I went online and looked up the reviews for that particular repair company, and there were several comments about a particular individual that had similar experiences to me. They found the guy deceitful and lying and a shyster, so it wasn't just me.

I've only filed two claims with First American and one exceeded my expectations, while the issue for the other one was resolved. I got my refrigerator fixed, but when the tech left, he didn't ask me to sign any papers saying that the job was completed. He also didn't leave me a warranty or anything regarding parts and labor as far as the compressor on my refrigerator, so I don't know if that is something usual and customary since they replaced a major part. I also don't know if that's something that I should have in my possession or not. However, I haven't had any problems with First American and I would stay with them forever.

Everything has been going well since the repair. I already have referred them to my mom and my sister because I've been so impressed. They always follow up with a letter through the mail saying what was going on and that they have received my claim, and they are always available 24/7 if I have any questions. They're always accessible and when I had to call them, they were very helpful and very pleasant. They didn't seem bothered by my call at all and they were willing to handle my business.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Rebecca. Thank you for your feedback and for choosing First American as your home warranty company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

My hot water heater went out, I contacted FAHW & that day they assigned a contractor to my service request. The next day the contractor arrived, determined the problem, obtained authorization to FAHW to replace the unit & replaced it. Everything was done quickly & professionally. Both FAHW & the contractor kept me advised as to each step of the process. I couldn't be more pleased with this service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Broken water heater recirculator. Water at far end of house took 2 minutes before it started getting hot. Plumber was on time, diagnosed problem quickly, ordered replacement part and returned in 3 business days (again on time) and fixed problem.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Be aware that First American Home Warranty will NOT issue you a replacement appliance that is the same size as the old. That is "not their problem" and instead will offer a cash payout that does not cover the amount you will need to purchase the appliance on your own. Save your time and money and stay away!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

The control board on my oven went out over a month ago. It took 3 weeks for the first technician to show up and First American just assigned a third technician, after the first two bailed. Over a week ago they called to tell me that parts weren't available and they were going to replace the oven. Now they're going back to the beginning and evaluating whether the control panel can be rebuilt. This has been a total fiasco and I'll be looking for a new home warranty policy when this one expires. BTW, not the first bad experience I've had with them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

A/C broken for months now and they open ticket after ticket and send one incompetent company after another who just use up all the allowed amount under contract and leave you with nothing left to spend on qualified contractor. They play this game of assigning it to someone who has 48 hrs to call you then they make appointment with you five days out and either don't show or replace a part that does not fix problem. Then you start the whole process over again and none of these seven day cycles include weekends. Service call are almost always on Friday so when it isn't fixed you must wait till Monday and start all over. I am beyond frustrated with them after so long. No air in July-October in Florida....Try that out.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
Septic tank system $500
*Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
  2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
  3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information