Call toll free
3.57/5
Based on 1,307 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Pest control coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

04/11/2019

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

04/13/2019

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

5566 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 19, 2019

Both of your servicemen who called on these two orders were punctual, polite and effective. I must give extra praise to Alex, who has now called on us twice and was able to manually repair the failed device without needing a second call. He is an amazing diagnostician of problems.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Samsung refrigerator repair. Bought house in November. Unit worked, after a month it partially worked. Would freeze then defrost every other day. Sears technician came, fixed what he thought was problem, he came back and suggested the main board was not working, ordered a new unit. Another tech came and installed it in February, it did not work, still another tech came and suggested that the board was not working, new board ordered and installed in March. It now works and has not defrosted once since then.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have never had a worse customer service experience in my life. First American has zero structure. 1 person writes the claim and every time there is an update another person handles it. They are very slow and contract with terrible and poorly rated contractors. Our dishwasher broke about 4 months ago and it took them a month to get a contractor out to fix it. 3 week ago the dishwasher broke again, same problem. After paying another deductible and taking almost 2 weeks to get an appointment, the appliance tech said it was an electrical problem. An electrician was assigned to which he said this is 100% a dishwasher problem.

Currently waiting for First American to reassign to an appliance tech again. When you call it’s very long wait times or they’ll put you on hold. Customer Service is rude and clueless and when you ask to speak to a manager they say, "Sorry sir you cannot speak to a manager. You have to write a letter." Please save the money and find another company. This is a very poorly run company and not worth the stress, time and aggravation for the price they charge. Could not recommend anything less.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We are extremely dissatisfied with the service, or lack there of, we've received from First American. The most recent incident was when our water heater burst. This was an emergency repair needed because our family room was being flooded causing secondary damage so we needed a plumber to arrive immediately. However, I did immediately call to place a claim and was given a work order number. I was told by the representative at First American Home Warranty that he would put in the request for an exception to reimburse our out of pocket expenses, and someone would get back to me within 24 hours. No one got back to me. I called back and eventually spoke to a supervisor who asked me to send the plumbing invoice, which I did.

I called back 72 hours later to find out the status of the request for reimbursement. But was told my work order was cancelled because I hired my own plumber (even though the First American representative knew this when he gave me the work order) and that I didn't get a pre-approval (no one I've spoken to could explain what a pre-approval was nor was I told it was needed), and didn't wait 8 hours for them to find a plumber. Seriously, if your house was flooding due to a burst water heater would you wait 8 hours in hopes that First American could find a plumber available that day? We have paid our monthly premium for years, way more than the $1700 plumbing bill, and when we had a dire emergency they did nothing.

This is not the first occurrence of bad service we've had with First American. We already cancelled our contract on our lake home because they never could find contractors in the surrounding area for our claims. We had hoped that their claims review personnel would realize the real world does have situations where exceptions to policy and standard procedure are necessary. But they didn't. We cancelled our contract.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I'm very happy with your services & the technicians that you use, very knowledgeable & very professional. I will definitely renew my home warranty with you. I will like to know if I can make monthly payments for my renewal.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Josefina. Thank you for your review and for choosing First American as your home warranty company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: April 17, 2019

Clothes dryer replaced. Excellent communication, customer service and work completion! We are 100% satisfied with every aspect of our relationship with First American. Thank you for the years of reliable service that always more than meets our expectations! We are happy to recommend First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you J for your review. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Their virtual assistant isn't helpful. You cannot contact them through their website unless it is a service request and phone operators don't know all the answers. I was going to renew my warranty and add coverage. Their website will not allow me to add coverage. Now I get to run around trying to figure out who can help me do it. It may not be worth it.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Elizabeth. We are sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time trying to renew your contract. A representative will be reach out to assist you.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Water Heater replacement. UNIMASTER Service was excellent. Warranty didn't cover all the costs of the replacement which was unanticipated. In addition, water damage as a direct result of the Water Heater failure wasn't covered either. First American should consider adding this coverage as part of the basic plan...no surprises!

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Dave. Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear that your water heater was replaced. The modifications and secondary damages are not covered under the home warranty contract. You may refer to Limits of Liability Number Four and Six for details.

Original review: April 17, 2019

We have partnered with First American for over 10 years and with 2 different locations. They have always been a pleasure to deal with and have resolved claims efficiently and satisfactorily each time we have reached out to them. We would recommend them highly!

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Michael for your review, we appreciate it.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been a customer for over ten years. Recently (last 12 months) we have seen this company adopt policies that either prevent items from getting fixed, or making excuses not to honor their contracts. Case in point, we paid for garage opener coverage, and when it went out, First American claimed it could not find a garage door contractor. It said they would reimburse us for the cost of the repair. So, we hired the contractor, sent them the invoice, and they asked for proof of payment. We had to order the cancelled check, which we also provided.

They didn't exactly refuse to pay, they just never paid and ignored the request. In another incident, the timer on our pool stopped working. The contract says the timer is a covered item. They refused to cover it saying the timer is electronic and electronics are not covered. To make matters worse, they sent out a contractor who had no idea what the problem was, did not schedule an appointment, and left saying the pump was running and filter appeared to be working so there was nothing he could do. Did not even check the timer or the component that had failed. Not only did they refuse to cover, they billed a service fee for the person that was not supposed to be there in the first place. Service has really, really gone down with this company and I doubt if we will renew. I would avoid them and find a different company.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My refrigerator has been broken for 3 weeks. They did not check the availability of the first technician. When I called the technician they said they could not come for 30 days. I called First American and they assigned a new technician. He came out and said we needed a new compressor. Instead of resolving my problem, they assigned me the first technician again, who couldn't come for 30 days. I called First American back and they sent me a different technician. He came out and said we needed a new compressor. Tomorrow they are sending a Sears technician. I called First American and asked if they were bringing a compressor. They had no idea. The staff is absolutely useless. I will cancel when the contract is over.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2019

Just wanted to add my lousy experience with First American. I had a central heater AND a water heater break under their warranty. Because it was water and heat, I felt it was pretty urgent to get these things fixed and get heat and water back. I got people in to look at these things. They both had to be replaced. I got the least expensive options. They were reputable businesses. I got receipts.

When I went to First American they told me I didn't call them first and give them a chance to tell me where I HAD to go to get repairs or replacements. They refused to pay anything at all towards the replacement costs. I was also less than impressed with their service. I sent an email with the explanations of the damages for review and a reminder email, but after several weeks I had to wade through five minutes of phone trees to find out they'd rejected all my claims and just hadn't bothered to reply to any of my emails.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Completely useless for everything except for maybe your kitchen appliance. When our furnace needed to be replaced, they were willing to replace it but our out-of-pocket expenses were almost $3000 and the portion they would cover was only $800. Apparently they live on a completely different planet where they could purchase a furnace for $400 and only have to pay $400 to install. It was like pulling teeth to get them to even respond or do anything about our claim. It took me negatively reviewing them on their Facebook page for someone to finally take care of us. If you want to call it that. Not one company we contacted could replace our furnace for under $4500.

The furnace itself is over $1000. So how is it the warranty company was trying to tell us that $400 was going to cover the cost of a brand new furnace? At first glance, it looks like several items are covered but read the fine print. There are more exclusions than anything. Most things that could go wrong with something are not even covered. The only thing of use to us having this warranty was our dishwasher being repaired. We had a plumbing issue that we had to pay $500 out of pocket for because the warranty company claimed that it was not a covered component.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I purchased First American Home Warranty policy on February 28th. I live in an older home and lost my husband of 32 years last June and wanted some peace of mind. My policy became active on March 28th, after 30 day wait period. On April 8th I came home to water pouring out of my water heater. I filed my first claim with First American. They sent a plumber out the next day. He spent less than 10 minutes at my home and said he needed a work order and would return next day to address my water heater. I received a phone call from First American the next day telling my my claim is denied due to a "preexisting condition".

Apparently they asked the tech if he saw any rust present on my water heater and is it "possible" it could have been there longer than 2 weeks. He answered it was "possible" and that made my condition "preexisting". I looked over my water heater and there is no rust visible, it is less than 5 years old. NOWHERE in my policy is their criteria listed for "preexisting" conditions, in fact my policy states the age of my appliances DOES NOT MATTER. I did not have anyone inspect my appliances before purchasing policy to review any "preexisting conditions". I think this is absolutely ridiculous. Would not every older appliance then fall under this "preexisting condition"? What is the purpose of buying this policy then?

I requested written explanation for my claim denial and explanation of "preexisting conditions". They were quick to respond about me owing them $75 for the plumber's "diagnosis" but did not address my request for explanation of the "preexisting conditions". I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with my first experience dealing with First American Home Warranty!

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The contractor, The Plumbinator, was exceptional! Pat, the owner/operator, arrived on time, was professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He returned a couple of days later with all of the equipment and parts he needed. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Diana. We are glad to hear the plumbing was repaired and The Plumbinator was great! We look forward to servicing your next claim.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was very pleased with the promptness that First American managed my claim. I was also very satisfied with the service provider. I found that First American response was quick to coordinate with service provider. In addition, the service provider was very diligent to resolve.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Julian. Thank you for review and for choosing First American!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Your sales executive, Rosie ** was fantastic. We had a problem with the first contractor, Centurion Appliance. We called Rosie and she arranged for AG Appliance to come out and they took care of the problem in a timely manner.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Colin. We are glad to hear that you are happy with our service. Thank you for choosing First American.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Tub and 2 sink faucets were repaired efficiently and in a timely manner. The tech was very friendly and professional. Customer Service was excellent with follow-up. We are very happy with our decision to keep our home warranty, with First American, in place.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Kathleen. Thank you for your review.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. The system is organized. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully in a reasonable time. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost so far and would recommend it for homeowners with limited time and homeowners that don't want a surprise bill for an unexpected problem.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Jay. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to servicing you in the future. Thank you.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We were having plumbing issues with our tub. I called First American and they put a claim in for us and within a few hours we were contacted by a plumbing company. They scheduled a time to come to our house within a day or two! Highly recommended First American. Got our problem solved promptly.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Debra. Thank you for your review!

Original review: April 11, 2019

First American gave us the most bang for our buck. The claim that I had for my dishwasher went well. There was something that kept breaking about four or five times and it just wasn't resolving itself. But First American made sure it eventually got fixed, and I only had to pay the one-time fee. I didn’t have to keep paying, so that was nice. I've been happy with my experience and I would recommend them.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Lee. Thank you for your review. We appreciate it!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been very pleased with American Warranty. They have kept in touch with me the entire experience! Would and have recommended this company to my friends. We will have working Frig and soon a new Oven cannot wait and the process was great.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Beatrice for your review!

Original review: April 10, 2019

First American Home Warranty came highly recommended from a friend and I’ve been with them for about five years now. Although I wish they covered a little bit more, they cover almost everything and their contract is very accessible online, so I know what is gonna be covered or not before I start to file a claim which is very helpful. One that is annoying is their automated system for trying to pull up my account. It's actually easier to go online and file a claim versus trying to do it on the phone. But other than that, their rates are good. They're not the cheapest, but they're also not the most expensive. They work with quality repair people. First American Home Warranty is doing a good job.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Gregory. Thank you for your taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We appreciate it.

Original review: April 10, 2019

After I paid your unjust service fee which was cancelled and you never provided service for because I was so tired of dealing with it and I also was sent to collections. You still haven’t taken me out. I am just done with this whole process. Victor your representative gave me false information and sent me to a department that was closed after answering no questions for me. Luckily I got a nicer young woman who told me she would help me. Overall, awful awful and awful service. To other customers— your contract renews automatically so please be careful!!!! These people are terrible and thieves!!!!

Original review: April 9, 2019

We purchased our home in the last week of June 2018. At the beginning of July we started noticing that the a/c unit which is located on the roof wasn't working, no cool air flowing in the house whatsoever. We were assigned to FAHW when we bought the house so I called to schedule someone to check our a/c unit. I had two different A/C companies come and check my a/c. A total of three separate visits and both companies stated everything was in working order. No issues were found. We never got the A/C to work properly. I was so frustrated and fed up with their excuses.

So I finally found a local A/C company in my area and during their first inspection of my a/c unit the tech told me that the a/c unit wasn't even connected to the vent going into our home. How two licensed A/C techs assigned to us from this company never checked or disclosed to us that this was the issue is baffling. I was so shocked and upset that we had to deal with such a horrible summer in our new home. Because of lazy workers pretty much robbing us in my opinion. I will not be renew my policy with this company when it expires. They need to re-evaluated their network of companies that they have assigned to come out and work on our homes. What they sent to my house was a bunch of crooks and a total joke.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have two appliances that broke knots simultaneously. My microwave broke over a month ago and it’s still not fixed though we have had the contractor out twice already. Now the part they say they need is on back order. I told them I will take the cash out option for the repair and go buy a new microwave because I have no idea when they will actually repair it. They told me they could give me about $60. I looked up the parts they have ordered and they total about $300 so more than what it’s even worth! No one will listen to me or seems to care that they are not keeping their end of the contract.

My fridge is broken as well and they sent another contractor who said nothing was wrong with but he didn’t inspect it. I’ve been waiting for 3 weeks to hear back from them on how they plan on repairing the refrigerator. It’s insane. I don’t know how this company is still in business. No one will call me back or get me the info I need, and that includes asking to cancel my contract.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have had SO much trouble with this Home a Warranty company in the last couple of months, the phone reps are useless, unknowledgeable and no help in getting claims successfully completed. Beware of this company and their warranty!! I had a broken faucet and they sent an incompetent plumber. They tried to charge me for this plumber and the replacement plumber even though the first guy made the problem worse! I was then told me I could accept the builders chrome aka. Cheap standard faucet or buy an upgraded faucet out of pocket.

We purchased the upgraded and as told called Home Warranty back. They sent out a new plumber who replaced the faucet and left us with $150 bill on top Of the $75 service fee we had already paid to Home Warranty. When I called Home Warranty they told me they wouldn’t cover the faucet or the plumber so basically nothing was being covered but we owed them $75 service fee and we would need to pay the plumber too. So basically we Were forced to pay the $75 service fee for nothing!!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

After requesting service for our garage door that would not open after breaking a few months after buying our house, First American sent out a garage door specialist to take a look at the damage. The garage door opener was old, loud, and clearly dying. The specialist informed us that since the motor still “worked”, any services he provided wouldn’t be covered by the warranty—only a garage door opener motor replacement. This was the case even though the garage door opener could no longer open our door after having worked for more than 30 years before we moved in and several months after having moved in. We reluctantly agreed to his garage door repairs, which cost several hundred dollars, because we needed our garage door to open.

The “repairs” only allowed the old, dying garage door opener to continue to struggle opening by taking more weight off of the dying motor. We thought the entire ordeal was behind us until we were billed by the home warranty company for $75, which is what they quoted us for replacing the garage door, even though they didn’t replace the garage door and they didn’t pay for the garage door service. When asked why we were being billed, they rudely specified that it was a “dispatch fee” for providing us a service and making a phone call on our behalf. All they did was pass on my contact information to the repairman in their “network” to have them call me to make an appointment.

Be aware that this is the type of company you are working with, and I could never recommend them after the experiences we had. You should think twice about trusting their “trusted” network for repairs or replacements, and be aware that they will charge you $75 to make a phone call on your behalf—even though they have already been paid under your home warranty. Overall, I am certain that I could have found a repairman for much less money to replace everything—including the dying motor, and that doesn’t even include their $75 dispatch fee. I feel bad about this entire incident and I regret that I didn’t just take matters into my own hands to begin with—that and purchasing this worthless home warranty.

Original review: April 8, 2019

First American has good, fast service. It's easy to submit a claim and they respond right away. It was also really good dealing with their technician. I had one experience with the electrical guy and the plumber was a B+. They were gonna have to call back twice. Still, I'm happy with First American. In fact, I'm planning to buy another year. I recommend it too.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Saul. Thank you for your review.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Both bathroom sockets were not working and were properly fixed in record time! Lumens Electric is honest, effective and efficient. I highly recommend them! Thank you Frist American Warranty for making this experience painless! I highly recommend First American Warranty as well!

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Sheryl. Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate it.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
Septic tank system $500
*Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
  2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
  3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information