Call toll free
  • 1 star
Based on 948 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

3933 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had First American Home Warranty for about five years. I have called them out about five times during those five years. Three out of the five times they have found a loophole out of covering the service needed. First, about six months after I moved in, the plumbing started backing up. First American set up a contractor to come inspect. The first contractor stated he thought he saw drywall pieces in the plumbing. So, First American called to tell me they weren't covering it due to the fact someone flushed drywall down my toilet, possibly kids. I said, I don't have any kids and I know I didn't flush drywall down my toilet. I ended up hiring another contractor to come out and the technician snaked the pipes and all has been good ever since.

Second issue, ever since I moved in my fridge was leaking water within the fridge and it would just collect at the bottom. I kept having to soak it up with a towel every week or so. I finally got fed up and called First American. I unplugged the refrigerator in preparation for the technician's arrive. The first thing the technician looked at was the coils, and said per my contract he can't work on the unit until he cleans the coils and Home Warranty doesn't cover that. I ended up plugging the refrigerator back in so my food didn't go bad. Well, while it was unplugged, some ice that was covering the drain hole melted. That is what fixed the draining issue. But, I had to pay $75 for the guy to walk in my house and turn around and walk back out.

The final issue that broke the camel's back was my heater. My boyfriend had bought me a wifi thermostat for Christmas and turned the power off to install it. When we turned the power back on, we noticed the air blowing out on heat mode was cold air. I called First American and the contractor set up an appointment. The contractor never arrived for the appointment, and I contacted First American and they advised me it would be better to just wait to hear from the contractor than find me a new one.

Meanwhile, it was 48 degrees in my house. I finally got ahold of the contractor the next day, they wouldn't come that day because it was raining. They finally showed up the next day. The contractor reported that my gas valve was bad on my unit. Well, First American found a way to not cover that, due to a sediment trap not being installed on the unit. I have never heard of a sediment trap before, and how would anyone know when they sign up for coverage if their unit has a sediment trap or not.

The customer service agents on the phone in almost every instance was rude and snarky. I understand dealing with upset customers can be difficult, but they had no sense of empathy whatsoever. I cancelled my coverage with First American Home Warranty immediately after I was told my gas valve on my heater wouldn't be covered. What you pay in a year isn't worth the coverage when First American Home Warranty will find a way out of covering anything of value.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Would not recommend First American Home Warranty. Bought a house one year ago and the warranty came with the purchase of the home. Over the course of one year (as I was getting familiar with the home) I submitted claims for broken shower head, faucet, heater, ceiling fan, hot water heater. The first two claims were handled okay; but the first heater guy they sent out clearly was not interested in diagnosing the problem; second guy was much better. The ceiling fan was a total fiasco. Turns out First American would not replace the fan, but would fix the wobbling; the contractor came out Five Times and could not fix it. Finally he said, I need a new fan, so I bought one, when he came back; he said it was not the right size; so I said can you get the "right fan" and I'll pay for it. He never came back to install it.

The Hot Water heater makes a really loud boom; I called First American; they sent someone out and he said; the loud boom is not a safety issue (the manufacturer disagrees!!). When I called First American, they said; "we don't cover noise." I guess I need to wait to the gas water heater explodes? What a terrible company. In summary: 1/2 of the contractors they sent out were good; the other half were terrible and clearly don't care. I would cannot recommend First American. Note: When I decided to not renew; I got a pushy sales call from them; telling me how much value I got from my home warranty; and that "sometimes contractors have a bad day." They clearly don't understand the main issue; their contractors often don't care unless they can fix the problem immediately; they are not interested in doing a complete diagnostic, and thus waste your time and money; and time being more valuable than money in my case.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

On January 2, our HVAC furnace died and I called in to First American to make a warranty claim. They dispatched a company with several 1-star reviews on Yelp (Payless Heating and Air). The technician that came did not know what he was doing. He disabled the safety switch on our furnace so that it would run, yeah the safety switch. My husband and I did not feel comfortable with this being done, but the technician assured us that it wasn't a problem. The furnace died within a few hours and we called First American, informing them that our furnace was still not fixed. We also called the technician back, he did come back, got the furnace working again, however it died again within the hour. We called them back and were told that they could not fix our unit because it's a high-efficiency unit, and they don't service high-efficiency units, but they did collect my $95 check for the service fee.

I called First American again, and was instructed to call a technician of my choice to come out and diagnose the furnace, and to get authorization from them prior to doing any repairs. My technician comes (keep in mind this is the HVAC company who we have a yearly maintenance contract with), he says that the safety switch should not have been disabled. The furnace was getting so hot, that the glass piece where you can see the furnace flames started to melt, in addition to the manufacturer labels on the furnace were starting to melt.

I called in to the First American Authorizations department as instructed, and put the service tech on speakerphone. He informed the rep that his recommendation was for our furnace to be replaced, and he provided the cost and serial and model number of our furnace, which is a Carrier. The First American rep told me that a decision would be made within the hour, this was at approximately 11:50 AM. Close of business, I still did not hear from FAHW, and I called in that the representative who I spoke with practically laughed out loud over the phone telling me that my claim would likely be denied.

I call in to FAHW today, and am told that they will be sending another company out for a second opinion. I look up this company on Yelp, and again, approximately 29 review with 28 of them being bad (Ecco Tec Home Services). And even though my claim was given "Emergency" priority, the soonest this company can come out is two days between 12-4.

It's all I can do to not have an anxiety attack of the pure incompetence of their service partner, and the fact that they have denied authorization for my furnace to be replaced. The unit is 15 years old, and it was diagnosed by a knowledgeable technician from a local, reputable company. I challenge anyone to look up these two companies on Yelp and read the reviews, and ask yourself why First American would do business with them. As a Realtor, I will never, ever, recommend First American Home Warranty to another client again. I am outraged at the service that I have received, and am thrilled to take my business elsewhere, and will gladly share my experience with anyone who asks. This has been a horrible experience, and I would not recommend any homeowner to trust First American Home Warranty to cover their home warranty needs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

HVAC unit quit. The technician determined that it is the reversing valve but also noted tree damage that caused cosmetic damage to the unit over ten years ago. The unit has functioned without issue for this long time frame. The cosmetic damage has no correlation to the now valve problem. Still my claim has been denied. AVOID THIS RIP-OFF COMPANY. I am filing complaints with the BBB, Florida State Attorney's Office and contacting the media. Fraud at its best!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

First American came with my home when I first bought it. I've had it for 5 years. At first submitting a claim was easy. But the last couple of years have been kind of difficult to have consistent replies and problems fixed. But it’s more with the contractors that they have partnered with because sometimes they're not consistent in answering back or coming out within a convenient time. It takes like a day or two and then it would turn to a week sometimes. A couple of times I had service calls that no one ever came out ever. It got kind of bad for a while.

But then I just had a service call a couple of days ago and that was fine. They came out within the next day. So my last experience was good but a couple before that were not. But the contractors were always professional and courteous. I have never had any bad interactions with the contractors. First American is a good service. But I would tell others to expect sometimes the service is not consistent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

They haggle costs with their contractors while the repair needs go unmet. My leaking water heater in the attic is left unrepaired, the company does not communicate and I have the possibility of further damage to my home. Very unsatisfactory. Do not use this home warranty company!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

First American was recommended by our realtor when we bought our home. She gave the suggestion since it was an older home that it was wise to do. I've called and also submitted claims online. If it's something simple then I do it online, but if I need some sort of explaining then I talk to somebody. I've had a run of experiences from pretty horrible to super great, but mostly it was good. The bad one is we had a problem with our stove. It kept getting delayed and delayed, plus the woman who took over for our claim was really rude. I called and spoke with somebody about it.

When they finally got a replacement for my stove, they sent somebody out and he didn’t know how to do his job. He took the stove back and they didn’t release it to me again, so they had to cash me out for the stove. The stove thing was a total fiasco, but other than that people have been very helpful. I've had mostly good subcontractors, too. Usually they know what they're talking about and I'm satisfied with their work. I would recommend having a home warranty and I'm glad I have First American.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I heard First American from my real estate agent when I bought my house and she recommended this one only. I did not look around at others because I have known her for a long time, so I just take her judgment. I submitted a claim online. The first one had something to do with the plumbing like something was stuffed up and the actual plumber just called me and scheduled an appointment. The other one was our water heater. The technicians were fine, they were there when they said they would and they took care of the problem. Although the water heater wasn’t fixed at first. They had to kind of like figure out if they were going to order a part or not and then they didn’t know if they were going to order a part or if they were going to have to replace the water heater.

They eventually figured out that they could get the parts, it was something that off the cost. Like, new water heater versus that part, if it was worth it or not. So, they figured out that they could just do the part. And it has been fine ever since. But recently my pipe got stuck up. And they send somebody out like first thing in the morning. And it has gotten really cold here and so the pipes, like the grease and stuff had frozen or whatever. So, they just came and flushed the pipes, or whatever they do, the snake thing, and it was fine. My real estate agent just gave me the paperwork and we put it as an agreement when I bought the house that the sellers paid for a year of it. So, I mean, I just set it up in my name but I never had to talk to anybody.

The online claim system was very easy to use. I did do a claim because my garbage disposal was not working. Normally, I YouTube everything to see if I can fix it or what is going on. And apparently, on the bottom of the garbage disposal, there’s like a little screw thing, and there’s this little wrench that you can buy at Lowe’s or Home Depot. And if your garbage disposals like the blades aren’t moving, but you can hear the motor. You have to go get this little screw thing, and like get the wrench, and like jiggle the bottom of that little screw. And basically, it makes the blades not caught up anymore or whatever it is. So, the only thing that’s frustrated me and I don’t think this is even the warranty company, but when the plumbing company talked to me, I told them what the problem was. They sent somebody out. It’s a $75 fee to have somebody come out and I could have easily fixed that myself.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I sent in an online request for my hot water heater to be serviced. The pilot light would not ignite after following instructions. I had tried to ignite this all day on Thursday, I submitted a claim on Thursday evening around 730pm on the 4th of January. An email said a contractor would call to set up a mutually convenient time for a service call. I didn't receive a call on Friday so I called the contractor and left a voicemail.

I called the company to tell them I haven't heard from contractor, they then told me I had an appointment for Saturday between 9am and 1pm. I informed them this contractor never called me to set up this time, I work on the weekend. They told me they would contact the contractor and let him know I would not be there and to reschedule. I then messaged the company online notifying them of the situation in writing from my portal account. The contractor never called or messaged me to reschedule, I got another service to fix my heater. This is the second year I have paid for this company and this was my first claim, and it was ignored. I highly recommend using another company due to the inept people they work with to service their claims.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had a leaky toilet and I submitted a claim with First American. The technician they sent was very good, and the toilet doesn’t seem to be leaking now. I would recommend First American.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

First American came with the home I purchased. I have already submitted a small claim for a stuffed up toilet. The contracted people came and cleared the toilet. But, upon looking after it has been cleaned, there were quite a few scratches in it. There are also black marks now, and that happened in the last three days since the 29th. I’ve got a report too but I haven’t called them because of the holidays. I had somebody, an independent person, open up the furnace, and clean it, and put filters in like they’re supposed to. And he said that there are cracks in and it’s 13 years old, so I don’t know how to go about. He further said, “This is a dangerous operating condition. It can leak at any time. We’re not going to turn you off in this cold weather.” As I don’t know what First American does, I’m at the point of saying in, “Okay. I’m going to deal with it.”

When I submitted the claim they gave me a claim number, and the process seemed to go okay. However, I'm very questioning the service level of the people that they sent. I'm not sure if they have the top quality people and then I won't get any hassle with this furnace. I’m very leery of the whole process, and it’s coming up a renewal pretty soon because Dana bought the house. The interaction on the phone has been good though. It takes a while to get to a person, but then when you get to them they are pretty helpful.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

When things break down, First American actually comes out and services it and if they can't fix it they replace it. Over the years, submitting a claim has come pretty easy. I can now go to the internet so I use that way most often. I just pull up my username and password going under my contracts and select what the problem is. I have the option to pay my fee either immediately or when the guy comes for service. I submit the claim, They’ll send me an email to let me exactly who is going to come out, the name of the company, the phone number and their address. Then that company will give me a call to schedule a service appointment. Lately on most occasions the turnover for a call or at least I used to get a callback either if I placed it that morning, usually sometimes that day or first thing the next morning. I also have the option to put that it is an emergency.

If I have problems, I can also give feedback. There was only one service company that I didn’t like mainly because I'm asking this guy questions and I was getting no responses. He seemed to be a little bit offended too, so the next time I had a problem I told First American that I didn’t want that company back because I felt like he didn’t give me the feedback that I was looking for. He just said I need to have somebody to come back out.

The only thing I would say when they swap out a stuff, just make sure it's compatible with what you're replacing. I had one incident when they swapped out my cooktop and the tech swapped out the cooktop with a different model. I had a hard time getting them to replace that model because I accepted it. What was wrong is I have a glass top and the glass top he’s replaced it with, the size of it was just a little bit smaller so it would not fit my big pot. There was no way for me to know that until I set that big pot back on that eye and that’s when I noticed that it was slightly different than the one that he replaced. It took me a while but one of the managers got on board on what I was saying, escalated a few times and they replaced it again with the same model.

I would still refer First American to anybody that I know. I've heard some horror stories from other people about other services like they won't replace things. I've had to have three items replaced. Aside from the cooktop, I had to have the dishwasher replaced, and in 17 years and they did it with no issues. In all the years everybody has been pretty professional. They put on the booties when they come in, let me know what they're fixing, and what the problem is. If there's any additional fees for me like sometimes when the air conditioning unit break down if it's stuff like Freon or maintenance type stuff, I may have to cover that cost so they’ll let you know ahead of time. As soon as they know what it is, they’ll let you know what that cost is and if I want to accrue that cost and pay for the finishing services, so I've never had any major surprises.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I purchased an older home so I figured my fate and purchased a home warranty. First American was the warranty that I had when I was renting the property so I decided to keep it. At first, I've had a lot of plumbing problems in my home so one of the things that I had a problem with was them sending me the right plumbing company. But after a while, I made them send me one plumbing company, Alpha Omega Plumbing who I want to use all the time because they are better than the other one that they sent. First American's representatives are always helpful. They are always willing to schedule my appointments and get me who I want, and that's one thing that I'm very pleased with.

However, they should improve on the contractors that they have, especially with The Honest Plumber and Hero Plumbing. I don't want them on my property again. They're not honest. They would do a very poor quality of work that has to be redone. And of course, that's an inconvenience to me. So, once they sent me the Alpha Omega Plumbing, I told them, "Don't send me anybody at all" because Alpha Omega has to come in and do rework for those other plumbing companies. They should really make Alpha Omega their primary plumbing company to use. They're really good.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

When we bought the house, it was already covered by First American. They provided us with a year or part of the year. We had something immediately that needed to be taken care of, and we’ve been really pleased with this service. It's very easy every time we submit a claim. I just call by phone because I don’t do the computer part too well. The reps were very good. They took care of it right away every time. We’ve only had to call them about three times. The technicians were very nice as well.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Everything's fine with First American. I had a problem with them a while back but it got resolved. I talked to somebody over the phone when I submit a claim because that's the quickest way. If you do it online, it takes forever. I had a good experience submitting claims. However, I had a situation where I didn't have a washer for three weeks and it took three weeks before I got another one. If they can just speed them up a little bit, it'd be good. But sometimes, I know they have to wait for the repair but they should understand that people don't have the appliance to use.

In the last two claims I've done, it took them a long time to get me a new appliance. Both times, both of my appliances were irreparable and they just took so long because their staff was going and forth with the appliance people. And then, they bluntly were telling me, "There's no way we can fix this because it's going to cost twice if we fix it." But that was the only bad thing about it. Once they have assigned my claim to a resolutionist and get it done, it's great.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

My First American policy came with our home. I’ve called them for claims and they’ve been good so far. The reps have been polite, and they also call back to make sure the problems are fixed. The technician who recently came out was excellent as well.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Our heating failed on December 25th and we filed a claim. Within two days they decided on their own to cancel the claim. So we had to start all over. The contractor came and installed a part, but caused the heater to fail completely so that we cannot use the HVAC unit at all. We are freezing and it is January 4th and still no one can fix the unit. Finally on January 4th, a new contractor was assigned to come on Friday January 5th. We will see this.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I decided to go with this home warranty on my rental only because I have a home insurance policy through them. Big mistake! I regret it. Big lies from the beginning. Called them about a toilet stoppage. They told me it wasn’t covered under my basic plan, news to me. They never told me about this when I signed up. It’s ok. I have a home insurance through them. Will cancel. Wish other will do the same. No need to give money to a fraudulent company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I'm a realtor and we have our insurance with First American Home Warranty. A home warranty is important if things are breaking down and it helps with a lesser cost in maintenance throughout the years. I submit claims online and it's easy, but getting the contractors to come out and do the proper work is difficult. The companies they hire are horrible. They don’t do a good job and they try and cut corners. Then they don’t finish the job that they're supposed to do and we end up having to get them back out and do their job correctly. And they seem irritated, but they shouldn't be irritated at us when they haven't done their job.

Also, we have filed multiple claims because we have some rentals units and my clients have had a lot of difficulty with them as well. There are a lot of little loopholes that they put in the fine print, so it's not a full protection policy. It's extremely frustrating. Even though this is a trend with all the home warranty companies, they need to cover more issues as far as covering the whole item versus little parts on the item. If they cover a ceiling fan, they should also cover the light fixture in it. The whole item should be covered and not only minimal items within the actual fixture. Give me worth the price.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I advise EVERYONE to avoid First American Home Warranties. They never honor their contracts. They continuously find loopholes so they don't have to. I filed a claim in November due to the fact my dryer had stopped drying clothes. Craig unplugged it in order to look at it. When the contractor came out the dryer was still unplugged. First American denied the claim, stating that the appliance was not installed.

The contractor was paid by me, the $75.00 fee. I was then told that I would need to pay an additional $75.00 fee and plug the dryer back up, if I wanted the contractor to conduct the repairs. The contractor could have told me that while he was at my home. First American is a joke and a bunch of scam artists. I recently cancelled my contract and will be switching vendors. I just thought EVERYONE should know about this company!!! I asked several times to speak with a supervisor, to no avail. I have since cancelled my contract and switched. Hopefully, Home Shield is better! It is extremely difficult to receive the service(s) paid for with these major companies.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Furnace - NO HEAT for 4 days. I have been run around by all departments in receiving service to my home for my Furnace. I am disgusted by the customer service supervisor who disconnect my phone conversation (hung up on me) while explaining our situation in 11 degree temperatures to the customer service rep who didn't document the offering of 1 (one) $50 reimbursement for a Heater. After calling the warranty company 10 times and still no contractor. I will be looking for a new home warranty plan in May.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Since I bought the house three years ago, I have paid First American. I’ve used it twice to file a claim and I talk to the reps directly. The first claim happened two years ago and everything went fine. The second one was for a garbage disposal but the problem hasn’t been solved. The technician said it was electrical and I’m still waiting for an electrician to call me. With my experience, I’m not gonna renew First American next year.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

We are not too happy about First American Home Warranty. The situation that we had with the contractor was just horrible. They wouldn’t call us. They had their answering machine on and would never return our messages. I just was very disappointed. We're a property management team. We deal with hundreds of properties and quite a few home warranty companies. I've been dealing with this heating issue for quite some time since 2014 and I just don’t understand why they keep on paying to have the heater repaired when it's over 12 years old.

I've been in business for years and when the owners of the property we manage ask us who we have good service with we're not going to say First American. With the people that we talked to on the phone it was just a repeated, “I'm sorry that you're experiencing this.” We don’t have time to listen to that. We don’t want to hear a memorized script and I have nothing but issues with their people.

They have to be more proactive in trying to take care of the situation rather than give us a script. They say they are going to call back and they don't. And then we have to be on hold for a day and a half. It's ridiculous. Every time I hear First American, I'm like, “Are you kidding me?” I want to say, “Why do you think we're not renewing?” We're still having this issue now.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have never left a negative review such as this, but I would NOT recommend this company. I currently have a home warranty through First American, reported a broken furnace two weeks ago, and am currently on day 13 with no heat in the coldest part of the year thus far. It has been 12 days since they sent out a contractor to diagnose my broken furnace (and the temperature has been below freezing 10 out of 12 days). First American will not work with urgency, despite it being an emergency.

The company continues to attempt to place the blame elsewhere or claim they are "waiting on information" or "following internal processes." Do NOT spend money on a company whose internal processes are to leave you without heat for weeks during the cold winter. Additionally, the customer service is absolutely terrible. They assigned a claims specialist who claimed to be my "contact" and has not answered her phone one time. They claim they are following internal processes and cannot do anything more. I have been unable to speak with anyone who has the authority to actually handle my claim. Do not waste your money or your time with this company.

Hello Suzanne,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your heating claim. Our records indicate your heater was installed and working on January 11, 2018. First American considers this claim closed.

Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I own eight houses and I want them all to be covered. I'd used American Home Shield and I didn't like them, and I heard about FA through my realtor and went with them for the fact that we could have good service. I have to call to submit a claim 'cause there's not a good way to do it on the website. I can't do it online because I have multiple properties and there's not way to set up eight accounts.

I have one claim for the dishwasher that still has not been resolved. The contractors sent by First American shipped the parts and never sent anybody to install them. They've been here at least three times and it's still not fixed. The last claim was with the air conditioner and when the technician came out, he said the unit had to be cleaned before he would work on it. But First American had already charged me to clean it a year before, so that was above this charge. I had to hire someone else to come fix it.

There was another claim I have that I haven't paid the $75 charge because the man came out and did nothing. I shouldn’t have to pay if they're just going to come out and say there are bogus charges that they have to do first before they even repair anything. They should go ahead and look at the unit and see what's wrong with it. That happens every time with the same company, and I wish I didn't use that company anymore. I would not recommend First American's service to anyone. They need more help, and I wish somebody would do something about the issues.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have been a loyal customer with First American Service for over 9 years now and have always appreciated the excellent customer service you offer. Yet a very disturbing fraudulent experience with your company has shaken my belief with your ability to provide top notch contractors with a reputable service and decent grade with BBB to perform service at my home.

ON 11/07/17, My air conditioner needed service. I made a service request. The Company NORTH STAR MECHANICAL was dispatched. First off, this company is rated -F with BBB, but what was more alarming this company has a long history scamming people and falsifying billing so customers could pay them first in order to get approval from the warranty company. The tech that came to my house stated I need code upgrades which cost over 1600 according to the TEXAS county/city. This is not mandated considering my house in 2005. He did not properly test my air conditioner, only visual inspected and claimed that the evap coil and tube need to be replaced. Very rude and left without explaining the bill.

11/10/2017 I called your claims department and was informed, unless I paid 1600 of false claims the evap coil will not be covered. After calling, and going back and forth with NORTH STAR MECHANICAL and no help from no one I was bullied into taking a cash out option, which little amount will not pay for replacement. If this is the kind of service loyal customers receive, I can only imagine how worst it can get in the case of others. NORTH STAR MECHANICAL has a very bad reputation with BBB and 1000 of people complain with the SAME exact claim as mine. Especially the 1600 upgrade scam, very famous one. A loyal customer VS (-F rated) NORTH STAR MECHANICAL word should never be dismissed especially when this company has extensive online history of scamming 1000 of homeowners. This is not fair. Why would you people hire a company like this to come to someone home?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

First American's claims process has been easy. Every time we've called, we've always talked to someone, and they've always taken care of our stuff. When we're on the phone, we just follow the instructions to get transferred to an operator. They've been really good. But sometimes, the contractor doesn't call after First American sends the request to them and we have to call them. Other than that, it's easy going forward. And although some technicians don’t know what they’re doing, most of them are really good and on time. I would recommend First American to others.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I recently (less than a year ago) purchased a home and recently had to repair a leak that appeared in part of the ceiling. The speed to get a contractor out to take a look, being 2 days, was great, but that's about the only positive from this event. The contractor identified the problem within an hour: an installed section of piping was not rating for high water pressure of the home and had started to leak. Two potential fixes needed to be sent to American First [AF] in order to find what they covered. I was told to I would hear back by end of the next day. When I didn't hear back by then I started trying to contact the contracting company and AF by phone and email. Neither responded and it wasn't until a week later that I received a phone call.

Said phone call presented the information that no repairs to be made would be paid out by AF and that zero secondary damage (which increased due to the complete lack of timely communication) is covered by AF. When I presented the findings of the plumber the AF adviser said that due to the unknown nature of the water pressure existing at the time of the home purchase no action could be taken. I presented a solution of paying for a pressure regulator myself so the connection could be fixed, but no take.

This stance is completely contradictory and the AF adviser even presented it as such. There are two problems here: 1) The high water pressure is a pre-existing condition so the piping connection wasn't a valid install and would need to be replaced with one that handles it correctly. 2) The high water pressure is not pre-existing so the sudden change is covered to replace the connection was a pressure regulator is installed (which I was willing to do). This conversation broke down at this point as the AF adviser claimed that without knowing what the pressure status was at the time of purchase American First was not going to pay out anything. To summarize: American First warranty company that refuses to communicate in a timely manner and will claim anything up to contradictory states of existence to avoid paying money.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Whenever I give a claim, First American has been on top of it. The claims reps were friendly and they helped me. When my tub was leaking, I thought the pipe loosen around or burst, but it wasn't. Water was dripping but we didn't know where it was coming from. The contractor came and they fixed it. They went to the right tool and they did a great job. They were very nice and friendly as well. We had a great experience with First American. They do a wonderful job, and I have referred them to a couple of my co-workers. We love them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We've been First American members for 15 years and they’ve been terrific and consistently good. We have good interactions whenever we speak with the reps and our experiences are fine with the techs they send out. First American is a very decent company and they’re certainly worth-considering.

First American Home Warranty Company Information

1984
Santa Rosa
855-292-5827
homewarranty.firstam.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use