Call toll free
3.51/5
Based on 896 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

4311 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've been with First American since 2012. I had a little problem one time and I called First American and it was taken care of. There was a time where one technician was lousy. There was a problem with the heating. Something had gone over that it froze on the outside of the PCT, and when it came up, it starts dripping down into the other bedroom. The technician said that I needed a new hot water heater. And so, I called up the renter and asked if there was any water underneath the hot water heater. The renter said there was none, and so I said that the problem was not the water heater.

I've had hot water gone bad and when they were so bad, water would diss in the pan underneath that and it exposed around completely out. So I said that if the can is dry as a bone, then this technician knows nothing. Even if I'm just a woman, I know that stuff. And so, that technician was out and I got somebody else immediately. But when there was a problem with the air-conditioning, the renters called First American, the technicians came right out and it got fixed. My renters were happy about that. First American should keep up the good work.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I’ve had First American from a previous home around 14 years ago. I got it mainly for the air conditioning unit in case it didn’t work in the summer. I called them when I submitted a claim and they had somebody call me back the next day. The technician that came out looked for the problem and he told me what the issue was, and I gave him a go on that. The quality of work performed has been good.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've been an agent for 32 years and I've had good and bad experiences with First American. Generally they step out and meet our needs, though I've had instances where they didn’t but I'm still using it and it seems to be working. Also, I don’t know how the techs prioritize and how they get paid. They seem to have a little bit of an attitude when handling some stuff but it's fine. Insurance companies are designed not to meet claims up front, and you got to hold their feet to the fire to meet up with their demands.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I first moved to Texas, the homeowners people gave us American Home Shield which wasn’t worth a damn. I prefer First American's quality of work. If they don’t have the part for a repair and it’s outdated, they’re not gonna be trying to go look for it. They just wanna replace the problem that’s at hand and that’s what I appreciate about them. With AHS, they looked for the obsolete part and put that damn thing instead of replacing the item. So we dropped AHS and came over to First American and we’ve been with them ever since. I have had a great experience from then on and I’ve been with First American for 17 years.

The claim process is very easy. But I had one little problem before and it was a misunderstanding how everything worked as far as claims were concerned. I thought that when we replace the item, I had to go back to the same people that replaced it and come to find out I'm supposed to call First American back every time if the problem persists and they dispatch them back out. I had a problem with the refrigerator and First American sent Sears out here. And I kept calling Sears because Sears was never fixing the problem. But other than that, the claim rep and everything else are wonderful.

However, I have nothing but negative things to say about the contractor who came in to repair the water heater. We were without a water heater for a month and a half. And the problem was everybody kept blaming other people. First American said the plumbing company has been doing the job and this is what has been done. But the contractor said that First American was supposed to be doing it. The person who was affected was the one in the middle. I wasn't gonna debate that about First American when they said that the plumber signed up for the contract and they get paid to do whatever they need to do. They were supposed to be handling the business. Everybody knew the contractor dropped the ball and no one wanted to come back up again. So I called back First American and then they dispatched another plumber out who took care of the problem. Their work quality was pretty awesome.

Original review: June 12, 2018

On Monday May 28 2018 , my water heater went out so I called and made a claim. The tech from a plumping co came out. That company who was named Air Pro Master along with America First denied the claim stating the gas meter was too close to the water heater even though there was no code on distance. Approx two days later they sent out another plumbing co. The Right Guys Plumbing. The tech assured me there was no problem with the gas meter. After a couple of days I contacted the plumbing co. and was told that the claim was again denied, so I looked up any codes on water heater installation. So I called the gas co and had a tech come out. Even though he and his boss said there was no problem they extended the venting pipe.

The next day I called the plumbing co. They told me that they would do the job but I would be charged extra. They charged me to get rid of the old water heater though I would have thought that should have been a charge the American First Warranty should pay. In fact every charge I had to pay should have been paid by the insurance policy such as the drip pan, new water lines and a new gas line. I know nothing will be done but I will let everyone I know on social media that this warranty of won't pay up if the job will cost more then they want to pay. Also they deal with very shady companies because I was even charged for items they never used.

Hello Frederick,

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: June 12, 2018

First American was part of the deal when I purchased the home. I could call them and they would tell me before I even get off the phone which company they’ve selected. The only thing I don’t like is I can't choose who I want. It comes up automatically, and I would imagine that everybody does that. Once in a while we get the same technician that has the original warranty, but nobody has ever been a problem. They always respond and get the job done. They keep going until a claim is fixed. They tried to fix my oven and various people worked on it. Finally I said, “You spent $800 of your own money trying to get this thing fixed, and a new one only runs about $800, so why don’t you do a new one?” and they did.

Original review: June 11, 2018

They REFUSE to correct an electrical code violation-- my outlets in the kitchen have been approved to be replaced with regular plugs but they say it's an upgrade to go GFI. I have disputed this and had 3 calls to customer service that transfers me to a dead supervisor's extension, I cannot leave messages, and they won't call me back. I will never recommend this company to any realtor or homeowner. I have also gone on their website and I didn't get an answer there. Awful company!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

First American Home Warranty- more like First Indian Home Warranty. There is nothing American about this company. I couldn’t understand any of the customer service reps. The process of getting a water heater covered was the worst. I switched out a water heater because it was leaking badly and was over 12 years old. They would not let me continue with my claim because they had to send someone out to see the old one leaking. I had to physically put the old one back in. And then put the new one back in again. I would not go through them again. Save your time and money!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

First American HB Protection was recommended by one of my friends and I had a great experience submitting a claim. I didn’t have any difficult time with them. Once in a while it’s a long wait to get to talk to them. But otherwise, the claim process is pretty fast. Plus the claims reps were awesome. But the previous contractor for the pool that we just had, I feel like he was kind of rushing through everything. But from the other times that we had a claim with the pool, my husband said he was extremely helpful. He answered all the questions. Now they say there has to be some kind of a change to the motherboard. The contractor said he submitted the claim to see if it was gonna be approved or not and we haven’t heard anything from it yet.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We had a little bit of a nightmare on my dishwasher and First American had to send about eight different technicians over, and the last two that were here finally decided that they couldn’t fix it, and they have to replace it. But instead of replacing it, First American is planning on giving me a cash check for it because they wouldn't be able to put a KitchenAid in. The check is supposed to be $665.33 and I'll take that and buy this KitchenAid which would be a few bucks more. I'm waiting now for the check and they're supposed to deliver it, so we should have this thing ended by then. But it's been an exhausting couple of months.

The first contractor that they sent out was horrible. They sent an outfit that didn’t even know what the heck was going on. Then they sent another outfit out and they said they couldn’t work on double dishwasher. Then the third one came out and jammed the drawer, and I think that’s what screwed things up. He jammed the drawer on the thing, and then these other technicians from Sears weren't able to repair it.

But the claims guy has been very, very nice. And they tried real hard to fix the dishwasher. They got some new parts in on a couple of occasions, and they finally decided and threw in the towel and said they gotta replace it. But they couldn’t replace it with the double-drawer KitchenAid. They wanted to put in a Kenmore from Sears, and I'd rather match this stuff because I bought it for my wife. I wanted to match all of the KitchenAid stuff here in the kitchen. But overall, I've had First American since 2007 and they've always been pretty good.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have been renting a house that has the First American Home Warranty for almost 3 years now. The first summer was great no issues but last summer the A/C went out twice and both times the technicians they sent out said they could repair it but since the unit is so old that it really needs to be replaced because it's going to go out again. Well sure enough the Thursday before Memorial Day it goes out and they send someone out and same story but this time it's a temporary fix that may last a week because the unit really needs replaced. Of course each time someone comes out I report back to the property manager and the home warranty and the property manager lets the homeowner know.

Well sure enough not even a week later the A/C goes out on 30 May and here we are 10 Jun and it still hasn't been fixed. Best part is the house is in good old Phoenix Arizona where the coolest day has be 98 since it's went out. I call the home warranty every day several times a day along with my property manager doing the same thing and every time it's a different excuse. The only thing they do offer is "temporary relief" of 150 to go get fans or a portable A/C unit, which let me tell you is about as useful as using a kids water gun to put out a forest fire. My wife is 4 months pregnant and I have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old at home which I have explained to them multiple times and their reply, "Well all of our technicians are busy and every call we get is urgent when it comes to A/C so we will get there when we can." At the end of the day the A/C still isn't fixed and this company is a scam.

Hello Michael,

Thank you.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I’ve had First American since I bought the house 10 years ago and they’ve always done what was needed. Occasionally, there have been a few deviations but I’ve been well pleased with it overall. I normally call on the phone to submit a claim and my most recent experience was about two weeks ago when my clothes dryer quit. I called them at about 10:00 at night and at 9:00 the next morning, the guy called. He had said he would be here between 9:00 and 12:00, and he was in my driveway. So I had a very quick response and that was good because I had a washer and a dryer both full of clothes. That was a very good experience.

But it has not generally been that quick in most situations, particularly for air conditioning. It was in the heat of the summer when our air conditioning went out, and it took about two weeks to get technicians out here. We were a little uncomfortable. But we bought a couple of windy units and put them in our bedrooms, and that covered us for two weeks.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Before I purchased the home warranty, I thought to myself like many others well the low star reviews must be people who are claiming things that are clearly not covered. However, based on my own experience I can say now that this is not true. We were denied for coverage on repair of an HVAC heat pump which is clearly covered based on our contract. Below is our story:

DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT FIRST AMERICAN PUTS ON THE WEBSITE. They false advertise (period). They advertise that you do not need an inspection prior to purchase of the home warranty. However, when our HEAT PUMP broke they asked for a inspection from a licensed HVAC professional as of day one of the contract which the website specifically says is not needed.

Also, First American advertises that "the age of appliances does not matter". We purchased the warranty because of that particular statement. We wanted a warranty to cover our older system and protect our budget like most people who purchase a home warranty. However, when we submitted a claim for HVAC for the heat pump they said the issues must have existed before the contract date and pre-existed and without a inspection on day one they would not cover it.

Original review: June 10, 2018

When there was a leak at the bottom of a refrigerator, I called First American Home to let them know what the problem was. I am the property manager for the house and the owner had given me the warranty company's information so that in the event that anything ever happened in the house, I could just call them first. The person I spoke to told me which company they would be dispatching and who I would expect to get a phone call from. She also told me that if the contractor didn’t call me within 48 hours, to call First American back. But I got the call within that time period so there was no problem. Submitting the claim was a positive experience. The contractor came out last weekend and took care of the issue. This was a good experience and I was happy with it.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We’ve been with First American for a long time as a safeguard for appliances going out. We’ve shopped around and we seemed to get good service from First American. We file claims by phone. We let them know what the problem is, they set up and schedule a service to come out and then we pay them the deductible. We’ve had some refrigerator issues and we had air conditioning issue one time. The most recent was an icemaker problem. The tech who came was very professional. He walked in, fixed it and left. This is the third time that we’ve had it worked on and it looks like this particular technician figured out what to do to solve the problem. I’d recommend First American HB. I'd tell my friends that it’s a good insurance policy. It could save you big money out of your pocket in the long run.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I've been with First American close to 10 years now and it's worth it. If something goes wrong, I call them and they take care of finding the contractor and getting them out to the house a day or two after I submit the claim. And all I have to pay is $75. But when it’s a large repair, the service takes a very long time. When I filed a claim for my air conditioner, the repair took two weeks. If I called someone on my own with no warranty and they came to my house and fix my AC unit, they were not gonna keep me for two weeks with no air conditioner. But I called the warranty company and it took longer because they were waiting for the cheapest price, trying to get things approved, and they didn’t have parts.

I would never have tolerated that and I would have expected the work to be done within days, not weeks, especially in the heat of summer in San Antonio, but I went through that three times. So, I had some frustrations with them but for that repair, I simply paid my out-of-pocket cost rather than $8000. Also, in terms of the contractors, most of them are really good, but some are too busy, so they don't have time. On my recent swimming pool repair, the contractor was supposed to be out between 1:00 and 5:00, but they came after 6:00 and they didn’t stay very long because they were in a rush. Then, I had to get my own electrician when I needed one because there was nobody available in San Antonio. So, First American needs a bigger pool of contractors. Other than that, getting a home warranty with them is a good idea and it will save you money in the long run.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have First American Home Warranty for years. I wanted people that have fixed stuff when it's broken but I had some experiences where they didn't fix things but it's been years ago. And sometimes, I had to call their contractors. One time, the lady told me I had to pay another trip charge just for them to come out. So I called First American and said that I didn't want to work with those people. First American then called the contractor back and it turned out that the contractors weren't charging me additional money. So there was some confusion. Also, the surcharges have gone up consistently every year since I've been with First American. Eventually, it would become not a good deal and would be so high just to get a contractor out. I'm not happy about that and would love to see it stop happening. Nevertheless, First American's reps did their jobs and everything has been fine.

Original review: June 7, 2018

First American Home Warranty the absolute worst customer service I have ever encountered. They and their contractors delay your service to the point that you become so frustrated, that you end up having issues repaired by someone else, outside of warranty. Hold times are ridiculous. Each time you call, you are placed on hold for 10-20 minutes. They sent out an incompetent company (North Star Mechanical) to replace my A/C compressor. The tech from North Star Mechanical took my unit outside apart, and left it that way for over 3 weeks before they finally came out to replace it. I called First American every day and they would say they would intervene, but obviously did not. The A/C company finally replaced my compressor, but never replaced the dryer filter plus some faulty wiring, which caused it to malfunction less than 6 months later. Compressor was covered but I had to pay $800 in "non-covered" items.

I have now been without A/C since May 7th (one month) and it is still not repaired. They have sent out 3 different companies to fix and all were so incompetent that they did not fix it. Finally, North Star agreed I needed my compressor replaced. First American told me that they had to issue a PO for my new compressor. I called 2 days later, and there was "no PO in the system" and was told they would submit. I called 2 days after that and was told for some reason they still had not ordered the compressor. Waited 9 days and finally was told they had the compressor. I was scheduled for repair today. The tech showed up to pick up the compressor from First American, guess what? No compressor. So still I have A/C. This is GARBAGE customer service. I am beyond frustrated and cannot even imagine how this company is in business.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I first heard about First American from my daughter-in-law and I got it so I could get appliances fixed in my home. I checked into it and they seemed good, and I always had a good experience with them. But I'm not happy with them right now because they've been out twice to fix my ceiling fan and they have not fixed or replaced it. They said that if the guy came out and he couldn't fix my ceiling fan, I would get a new one but it would be a basic fan. But when the guy came out, I didn't get a new fan and I still don't have a light in my bedroom. They kept saying that it's a different case, but when the ceiling fan was purchased, the light and the fan were all in one box.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I have had two major failures in my home. The main water line broke first going into my home. It was after the city water meter so it was my responsibility. Called First American and they assigned a contractor. He called promptly and promised to fix the leak within two weeks! I had NO water to my home! No running water, no toilets and I was expected to "tough it out". I promptly called another plumber who fixed it within hours for $150. Not a bad price. When I tried to submit to FAHW, they said since I didn't have prior approval, so it's all on me!

NOW I have been dealing with them with NO AC! My AC has been out for a month now and they can't find a capable contractor to come and repair the issue. All the contractors are coming from 1-2 hours away because I live in a rural community. Not my fault, they made the contract, however they don't have any capable contractors NEAR me to repair the issue. They have offered me an allowance to buy window air conditioner to alleviate some of the heat, and I give them credit for that, but over one month and they STILL don't have the AC fixed is UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: June 7, 2018

For the most part, First American's response time has been pretty good. And they usually handle everything. However, we had some contractors that didn't show up and sometimes, we had those that did show up and we got a lot of talk, but there was no action. Then, they'd be gone and not come back. So, we move on from there. Nevertheless, First American's all we've ever been with and so far, they've done well. In fact, I've recommended them to people before.

Original review: June 6, 2018

First American seemed to have the overall better coverage. Although they have now degraded themselves by keeping on raising the annual fixed rates. It started off at $60 and now it’s up to $75. Also, I file my claims over the phone and it takes a while to get the professionals. They don’t have too many operators to answer the phone, so it takes an excessive amount of time before they answer. Then, I find out the name and telephone number of the repair center that they’re gonna send out and I call the contractor directly. That saves two or three days. And the companies they've recommended seemed to be okay. First American needs to lower their rates and their annual service charge. Otherwise, next year, I’m thinking about dropping them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

The people who sold the house to us had First American so I thought to just keep it. Whenever I submit a claim, I go online and it is easy to navigate their site and file the claim. The rep sends a contractor out quickly but there was only one issue this year, back in January, wherein the contractor took long to come out and every person who came could not do the job and there was a poor follow up from First American. The only way the issue was resolved was after the district manager here in Memphis got involved. It took almost three months to resolve it. The technicians who came, in terms of service, were consistent. But the guy who was sent in January called and said that he will come out but he didn’t. And he did not sound professional at all even on the phone. First American had to dispatch three different companies to get the issue resolved and the 4th company got it fixed.

First American was good and everything was fine. But I would recommend that when we’re putting the service online, instead of automatically choosing which company will come out, First American should let the consumer choose online and have options of the company that could come and do the service. I like that better because there were several companies we worked with before and I know some of them and heard feedback about them. I would rather choose them than being with some other company being chosen for me. But I would recommend First American.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My banker had First American and he said it was a good product that worked for him, so he recommended it to me. I've had some claims that worked pretty smoothly and did pretty good, and then some that I wasn't happy with. Speaking with the claims reps is difficult because their English isn't very good. Most of the time, I would get somebody that's foreign-speaking and I could tell that English is their second language. But the technicians that have come in have been good.

Original review: June 5, 2018

When we first bought the house 15 years ago, we had First American for $250. When we submit a claim over the phone, the experience is very pleasant. Their representatives are very kind and courteous, and they know what they're doing. No problems at all. Unfortunately, when you call in a claim, you’re usually landing up in the Philippines and some of the representatives' English is not good as it should be. But they expedite the service and they will allow you to use a contractor that you want as long as the contractor is in agreement with First American or on board with them.

Over the years, I've had different contractors in and I've had instances when I've taken contractors off the job and called First American and refused to pay them. I gave them very valid reasons and then they had the contractor call me and then I cut loose on the contractor and I got what I wanted. I would never use them again. But some contractors come in and you like the work they do and you like the personnel so much that you want to use them again. So far, the contractors I've used have excellent workmanship and they cared for the house as if it was their own.

First American has been very, very excellent in their service and understanding of a problem that might be. They are also urgent in getting the repair done quickly. In fact, I've had instances where the heating system has gone out during the winter. During the winter it gets down into the 30s and it's really cold. I've also had an instance where the heating system has gone out and the parts that they needed had to be flown in and they authorized me to go buy a couple of heaters to tide me over until the repair could be done. They are outstanding. I get in the mail a lot of times inquiries from other companies or advertisements from other home warranty people, but I wouldn’t switch.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Never had home warranty before, the house that I bought, came with it, because seller offered it. Worst home warranty ever. I have a tenant who lives in my house, AC broke, so I called a local AC company. When they came, they said it had a leak, because I wasn't sure if it was serious or not problem. It was 100F outside, and Memorial Day weekend. So I called home insurance and the customer service guy told me that, "It's ok to let them add freon, submit a claim through claims and you will get reimbursed." I wasn't let my tenant be without AC in the hot days and especially over the weekend, because he has small children there, so my option was to patch it or wait for them to get someone. I knew that nobody would come that day or even over the weekend because everyone was so busy. Guess what, I paid and when I try to get reimbursed, they denied it.

On top of that, I also opened a claim, for them to come and take a look at the AC, they couldn't come for a week, that is how busy they were. Will not renew the warranty and definitely would stay away from First American Home Warranty, if something is broke, you will be waiting a long time to get it fixed, some things you can wait and some you cannot. My experience with customer service and the whole company was negative, I would avoid them and you still decide to give them a shot, good luck!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I'm not very handy and I didn't know any other warranty company other than First American. So, I went with them. When I filed a claim, their process was very easy and my experience was very good. The technician who came out did a great job as well.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Some people at the claims department are very nice, but the last time I called, I had a guy who was rude. He didn't wanna listen to what I was trying to explain to him. He was trying to stay with his opinion. Sometimes the people in the call center don't get the point that I'm trying to explain. For example, I requested a fix for my pool pump and the service provider they assigned had a voicemail saying that he only works from Monday to Wednesday. I called the call center back and asked for somebody else that can work five days a week because I need to get it fixed.

The rep said it would take two days to get in contact with the person. So I explained to him that if the guy just works three days a week, he wouldn't contact me next week, so it wouldn't work for me. Some of their contractors are good but the other ones are a little light on their work. One time, I requested for my furnace to be fixed and they sent this really cheap company that fixed it wrongly. First American needs to find better service providers in the area. But overall, it's fine, and the system works.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We've been covered by the service of First American for five years now. It's very easy submitting a claim to First American. I just get online and submit a form. I am an introvert and I avoid phone calls. So I love that I can do everything online and not have to talk to anyone. However, I spoke to their reps a few times because of not hearing back from contractors. But the reps were great and all the contractors that they've assigned to us have been great, as well.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Submitting a claim through First American is generally horrible. It's a total pain in the ass to get anything done. It’s a hard to get a hold of somebody and to get anything escalated. It’s sent to offshore call centers and just completely horrible. Though their reps are courteous, they’re just reading from a script and tell you the same thing over and over. Each time is equally frustrating. Then the three days it takes to get somebody out to fix something, it’s them not wanting to work with you. When I had to get a stove replaced, they said that they would only replace it with a white one when all my other stuff is stainless steel. And I have to take a payout of $400 for a stainless steel one.

Also, the contractors are shady, half the time. When my refrigerator broke down, the first guy who came out said he couldn't fix it so he took the $75 and took off. They had to send another guy out and he didn't fix it either. Then the third guy came out and the issue was something that was easily fixed. I only paid the $75 once but I was without a refrigerator for two weeks. Then when I had broken plumbing and flooded a couple of rooms in my house, the first guy couldn't fix it and they had to send a second guy out.

First American Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

First American Home Warranty was founded in 1984. The company is part of the First American family of businesses, which have a long history of financial stability. The company offers different coverage plans depending on the home’s location. Consumers can see details and get quotes online.

• Extensive coverage: The basic policy offered by First American Home Warranty includes a full list of systems and appliances, many of which are typically only covered with an enhanced home warranty policy.

• High coverage limits: First American Home Warranty has high limits for most repairs and replacements, so expensive items are fully covered. The company pays up to $250 for fixing code violations and obtaining permits.

• Claims hours: Service requests can be made 24 hours per day, seven days per week by phone and online; service requests are generally filled within 48 hours.

• Unlimited calls: First American Home Warranty does not limit the number of service requests a customer can make during their warranty period.

• Service providers: First American Home Warranty screens all service providers before hiring them to make repairs in consumers’ homes. They also monitor customer satisfaction with service providers' performance.

• Best for: homebuyers, real estate agents and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First American Home Warranty Company Information