It's that easy Get a Free Quote
3.41/5
Based on 1,099 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

4865 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The house is not getting any younger so it makes sense to get a warranty for it. First American wasn’t necessarily my first idea, but they were the obvious one because of the commercials. I’ve had four claims with them and I usually submit them online which is very simple. The last one went perfect. The one before it was the air conditioning and I did not like the contractor that they chose at all. But the one before that was a simple electrical thing and the guy that came was done in five minutes. He was amazing.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Our realtor got us First American Home Buyers Protection when we bought our house. Since then, we've had two claims which we've done online. We get emails right away saying that the appointment with the contractor has been scheduled. Thereafter, I get a phone call from the technician when he is about 15 minutes away. The people that First American sends are knowledgeable. I've recommended this company to others.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback, Rebekka! Thank you for choosing First American.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

It's pretty straightforward to deal with First American Home Buyers Protection. I submit claims online and customer service has worked with me when I’ve had issues. First American assigns a vendor within the first hour or two, and then depending on how urgent the issue is, a vendor shows up and works on my stuff and fixes it. Some vendors, for example, if you call up in the middle of summer for your AC, it might take them a couple of days to show up. If you call First American for your AC now, the vendors would show up the same day. Every vendor that has come here to do some work have all been great, except one instance. Otherwise, everybody has done a great job and no issues at all. I like the work that they do. Everything is great.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We have been clients of FAHW since 1993. During that time, we have had only three problems with their service of their vendors, but they were able to take care of these problems to our satisfaction. For the latest claim, an over-stove microwave was replaced, and two parts were replaced in our refrigerator. We were very pleased with the second company which they sent to provide service -- which replaced the first company which did not follow through. It has been our experience that they generally contract with excellent companies.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

They do an excellent job. They are courteous on the phone. They’re ready to help you in any way needed. They ask you if there’s more things that they can help you with. They're very pleasant and I would recommend them to anybody I know.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Donald for your feedback. We appreciate it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

American Home Standard was doubling their premium because of all the claims I had. I went to another one and they turned out it was defrauded. So, I went and looked up First American Home Buyers Protection and because I had to use their service for a title thing. It looked like they had good reports and then I liked the rep and she was locally-based, so I decided to give them a shot.

Submitting a claim was advertised as very easy and it has been. The problem with the previous one was I didn’t have any options to get vendors that were close. But so far, I’ve had two claims and they were immediate and close to home. I've been very pleased. The technicians were very professional. They called me quick and they were out there within 24 hours and got it right the first time. First American covers the most for the money because they have some additional supplemental coverage that nobody else offers, even for knobs wearing out, which I have coverage which typically others don’t. It’s good value for the money.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Steve. Thank you for taking the time to provide a feedback! We look forward to servicing your next claim!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I submit my claim to First American through their website directly. It's fairly quick and easy. I just go online, select what the issue is and give a brief description. First American then reaches out. They'll give me a little bit of information as far as who they're gonna contract out, and then I'll receive a call from that corporation also. The most recent one that I had, they dispatched the technician within 48 hours.

The technician was able to get the issue resolved really quickly. Our garage door got repaired within 15 minutes. They were in and out. But there was about a few-week turnaround with not much communication in terms of when they were gonna come out the second time so that I didn't care for. But the two times that I have had to use the warranty, it has been a pleasant experience overall.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello John. We are glad to hear that your garage door opener was repaired. Thank you for choosing First American and we look forward to servicing your next claim!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I'm within my first year with First American and everything is good. I was able to get an account online and submitting claims that way is good. However, they're very slow to respond to emails. I have to follow up with some phone calls and I hope there will be a little more openness with representatives. It sounded like they were trying to get another co-pay out of me for the same repair. I have a callback for a toilet repair for this afternoon and they're trying to say it was for another issue. Other than that, my interactions with the repair guys have all been great. They are very impressive, helpful, not in a rush, and made sure that they addressed all my concerns.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

When I have to submit a claim with First American I just go online and check the little check boxes with the drop-down boxes and they usually reach out to me by the next day. The technician have been good and professional. They're on time or early. The work has been done well the first time.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Nathan for your review, we appreciate it!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I submitted a claim for Dryer service on September 25th, 2018. The contractor came out initially to inspect the unit on September 28th. During the inspection he said the dryer was not working because a number of sensors were burned out because of a fire on the inside of the Dryer. This sounded hazardous. I asked for a replacement rather than repair. The phone support said, “No. The contractor recommended parts replacement.” They also recommended that I look at the damage with the contractor while they were there to see how extensive the fire was. The contractor came back to repair the unit October 10th. When he arrived he looked at his parts and noted that a main one was the wrong part. He put in for a reorder right there.

Then we looked at the inside together. It was charred extensively. He said it was an unusual amount and I could take pictures and send to First American asking for a replacement as it looked like an unsafe fire. He also said the drum and back wall was charred which would make all clothes smell smoky so that was a second issue that needed to be addressed. I took the pictures and submitted to First American. I called back First American and the phone support said the contractor informed that they were just ordering parts and they would have to recommend a new dryer. I called the contractor and they said they don't recommend replacements they just order parts to repair and if they can't they forward that info to First American.

I called back First American and they said again the contractor has to recommend a replacement. I said, “Ok if you replace the parts what are you going to do about the charred drum and wall?” The person on the phone said First American does not cover that. He submitted for review. I have not heard back. My review is that First American customer service does not listen to or address situations that fall outside of their standard repair path. They merely echo back their standard course of action like a robot. My dryer is an example. According to First American they will put the unit back in operation without a serious evaluation of the hazard caused by the fire and without addressing the charred parts. For further information I am pasting below a copy of the messages I have left on the case. I have also been talking on the phone, but only one of my messages was answered on the website.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I called in a problem with my AC back in August 2018. The first technician sent out would not speak to me about the problem, did a basic inspection, told me everything was working. And left. During extreme heat, my AC would not cool the house below 80°. The second technician came out and informed me that the unit needed cleaning and service and that there was a crack in my duct in the attic. FAH called and denied my claim for attic insulation. The rep that called did not know the terminology or the extent of what is covered in this policy.

I then had an AC technician local to my area come out and completely service and inspect my unit. I paid for this. He photographed and estimated that my ductwork in the attic was over 30 years old and rotting from the heat the builds in the attic. FAH sent a third technician out, who happened to be 6 foot two, and would not go into the attic. He only looked in from the top of his ladder. He proceeded to report that my ductwork was missing parts and had been tampered with. I called in again. A fourth technician was sent out and went into the attic, taped up some pieces of the collapsed and failed ductwork and proceeded to tell me it’s repaired. When I question this, he was rude and argumentative.

There has been no consistency or logic with any of the technicians they select from their list. None of them are local to my area where the heat in my attic reaches up to 150° during the summer. I feel as though they select technicians that are only going to represent them and have no interest in reporting honestly. This all comes after spending an hour on the phone a week ago and being disconnected. No one FAH called me back. It is now late October. I will probably lose this battle. But I hope none of you will make the same mistake by using them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I upgraded the Warranty when we bought the home specifically for the Refrigerator. It is a Custom Refrigerator $6-8k unit. After 3 Months in our new home, the Refrigerator started warming up and dripping water from the Condenser, was glad I upgraded. Contacted FAHW immediately. They sent Contractor out August 25th. He found Compressor to be faulty and said he could repair it. FAHW wanted a 2nd opinion. Finally got thru that after several days. We elected to have the Refrigerator repaired and FAHW Ordered the Parts on Sept. 15th. The Contractor they hired was the Original Technician.

After I called him 3 times, He finally carved out time to come on Sept. 28th and was in our home until 11pm. Unit leaked out all the Refrigerant the next day and never got cold enough to freeze water. I let FAHW know everything along the way. After many Appointments with NO SHOWS by this Company, I called and complained to FAHW as I felt abandoned to deal with the Contractor they hired. They assured me they would have this Contractor back out, and he did come back last Wednesday Oct. 10th.

By Friday the Freezer still was barely hitting 20 degrees and takes 8 hours to freeze ice in a Tupperware. Freezer is now at 27 degrees Fahrenheit. I have let FAHW and the Contractor know this. I have gotten no response from either. It is Oct. 14th. 6 People live here. So much Anxiety over this. Literally feel abandoned. Shame for how this has been handled. I don't even know what to do. I have written 7 messages in their message Center to call me since Oct. 10th to discuss the next step, and have gotten no responses.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We had submitted three claims and two of them went very smoothly and quickly. I have filed claims online and over the phone, and both were simple. The reps I had spoken with over the phone were knowledgeable, efficient and fast too. They knew how to get us where we needed to go quickly. The quality of work from the contractors was excellent too. We had a situation with an air conditioner ductwork and the contractor did a great job.

With one claim, we had a problem with the actual contractor. But First American did a really good job of giving us to a client specialist, and she did a really good job of helping us figure out a way around. We ended up doing a direct with her. We found a contractor and then First American reimbursed us. Also, the contractor they had chosen was actually a really poor one. So we worked with the client specialist to get him off the list of what First American offers. That was satisfied pretty well. The claim just took a whole lot longer than it should have but that wasn’t the warranty company's fault. That was the contractor's fault.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Leanne. Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you encountered but we are glad your claims were resolved. Thank you for choosing First American!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

This is the company that reinforces all those negative stereotypes we have about insurance and warranty companies. I signed up with them when I first purchased my home and use their services twice. The first time was a simple repair on my stove which I had to pay a visit charge. The second time I needed them was for an air condition repair. They had someone come out to evaluate the problem three different times. All three times the person told me that the air condition system needed ductwork. Even though my policy includes ductwork First American refused to make the repairs.

They said the repairs were too in-depth and would cost too much money and repeated that my policy did not cover ductwork. I even showed the policy to the contractor who came out to visit and he confirmed that my policy did include ductwork. I would suggest. They want your money, they get your money, and then will not do anything for you when you have a claim. They have a very substantial. No one has the type of money that it would take to follow through on their lack of service. Therefore the customer always loses. This company is not in business to supply service at all.

They are in business to take your money. This is my honest review based on the service or should I say lack of service that I received from this company. I would never contract a company like this ever again and it makes me very leery of all insurance companies. I sit here in my home with no adequate air conditioning or heating and a warranty that is useless. Not even worth the $0.03 it cost to print. I'm very frustrated and I hope no one else falls in this trap.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Our coverage with First American is going on four years now and up until about seven months ago, I was very pleased. An incident happened when we had a backup in one of the drain lines and we had to call out a plumber. The first time Zeus Plumbing came out was a year and a half ago. The guy put on a little rubber and called it a balloon. They stuck it into the line and turned the water on. It was supposed to handle the blockage. They opened it last time. But every six to eight months, the line would back up again and we'd have to call somebody else.

This last time, I wanted the contractor to look in the camera to find out because it seemed to be a recurring problem. So they put a camera in there, took a look and told my wife that it was really bad. We told them to go ahead and do the power jet thing for $350 to make sure it gets unclogged. It was some grease from the previous owners. But after it was all said and done, we had another plumber, who was recommended by First American, come out. They tried fixing the stoppage and then they told my wife they had to look at something else because there might be something else messed up in the line.

When the guy from Zeus Plumbing came back, he told my wife it was gonna be $19,000 to fix it. My wife told me and when I asked what he was doing, she said that he was gonna double check. 20 minutes later, he came back and told my wife it was gonna be $29,000 to fix this. His company called about three days later, wanting to know when they could come out and start doing the work for the $29,000. But I told them not to bother. I had some friends who were plumbers and I got somebody else to take a look at the line. He said that the contractor was trying to put one on us. The contractor had lied to my wife.

In the end, we had to pay $350 because Zeus Plumbing lied to First American. They said that they unclogged the line at 35 feet and that it was clean and cleared, but we insisted on them running the power jet thing. That was why they were charging $350. But the clog wasn't cleared and we didn’t request it. It was just a mess. I talked to the lady who handled the claim and told them that the contractor lied. I told First American to call Zeus Plumbing but of course, they said they did exactly what they said. So I was unhappy about that. It was a very bad experience and I told First American not to call Zeus Plumbing out here to my house ever again.

I also started reading my warranty. Zeus Plumbing only went 35 feet and the warranty said they could go up to 75. And after 75 feet, First American would have incurred the cost of using that machine to unclog it. This was mishandled. Some of the contractors that First American hired are not real good, and that’s one thing they might wanna check. They once sent somebody out to work on our air conditioning but the guy just stood outside. When he came back, he said our compressor was bad. He didn’t even do anything though. I was watching him.

So I called some people that I knew and they went out there. The guy was inside and outside for about four hours and he charged us like $148. There was totally nothing wrong with the compressor. All the contractor was trying to do was get a new compressor. So he was probably just going to leave the old compressor in, keep the new compressor, bill First American and then bill us. On the other hand, First American had replaced a dishwasher and done other work. They sent electricians out a couple of times before and everything was good. First American has been really good. As a matter of fact, I've recommended them to a coworker who just bought a home and he got the warranty through them.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jimmy. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to servicing your next claim!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My brother-in-law has a home warranty and he said he liked it and that it has worked well for him. I looked into getting one and I ended up with First American. I submit claims over the phone and techs come out and fix my problem. The techs that have come out to the house have been very nice. Once, they had to water-protect my washer and dryer. On the washer, they had to take steps before they finally got to it. But the dryer was fast. They just had to order a part and when it came in, they came out and fixed it. Since that, everything has been working really well.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Joseph. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review! We appreciate you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The serviceman was great about trying to repair my refrigerator. The problem I had was with First American not been able to satisfy my request in repairing my refrigerator, a small clause in the contract kept it from being repaired. Oh well for me. That’s just the way it goes.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have been paying for their service for two years and have had a bad experience all around. First time I filed a claim, plumber came out and diagnosed the problem wrong and claimed they could not cover because I had a shared water line (I do not have a shared water line). Sent proof that they were wrong but still had to fight them to get another plumber. Finally they sent a second plumber who also diagnosed the problem wrong and claimed they couldn’t fix because there was mold (there was no mold and he was not certified to diagnose mold). I ended up just paying an outside plumber out of pocket to get the problem fixed instead of trying to fight them again and having to wait weeks and weeks and just letting the leak get worse and worse. They were also supposed to send someone to repair all the holes they made in the walls while looking for the problem but they never did.

Another situation that happened was that I got a bill for a service I never requested. Called to find out that my account was being charged for a service at another residence, requested by someone who had no affiliation with me. Apparently it was on an account that had previously been closed. How does that happen!? They removed the charge from my account.

Lastly I got the notice to renew but decided I was not going to renew. So I did not call to renew and I didn’t not renew online. But lo and behold my card was charged after the account should have expired. Went online and my account had automatically been renewed. I don’t think I have ever been so dissatisfied with a company ever. It was a waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Replacement of Garbage disposal: At first it was a rocky road with my issues but they came through and everything was fixed. Give them 5 stars. I will be renewing. I definitely will refer friends to them. The team was very helpful in getting my problem solved.

First American Home Warranty response

Terry, thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback. We look forward to providing you a smoother claim process next time around.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Our warranty with First American was part of our home purchase when a home warranty was required and our broker suggested them. Filing claims with them has been very seamless, so we've kept renewing it every year since then and we've been with them for three years now. We’ve submitted the claim online, both times and that was easy. Then somebody followed-up usually within 24 hours with a phone call. The first time, they dispatched a contractor to our home after two days. With the second time, it was three days after. Both times, they had their local vendor reach out to us to schedule the service appointment. Usually, we've spoken with whoever the local company is.

The interactions that we’ve had with the technicians that have come out to our home have been really good. The first issue we had was with our AC and the guy that came out was able to fix it easily. Then, the most recent issue we had was with our garbage disposal and the plumbers that they sent out were terrific. The quality of work that was performed was very good. I would definitely recommend First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Jenny for your feedback. We appreciate it!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My daughter is in real estate and she recommends First American Home Buyers Protection to most of her clients. People have been very satisfied with First American. They have been very helpful, and she even uses them as a selling tool. Fortunately, my daughter has been bugging me to get First American for the longest time, and I never have. I used to have a husband that did everything. He was so handy, and he passed away. I finally got First American and it was the perfect time.

Submitting claims with them have been very successful. I had no idea that I would need them. I’ve used them three times already. Once the little things have come up that – “Wait, I can call and have someone else take care of this for me” and the reps were very polite. It usually takes one to three days for contractors to contact me. Once I woke up and my garage and living room were like a swimming pool. I had a water leak. As it turned out, I needed to re-pipe the entire house. First American couldn't get a contractor soon enough so I called one that I used before. As soon as it was done, First American sent me a check to cover what they were covering. They have a set fee on that, but it helped a little bit. First American has been a security blanket for me. I have recommended them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This company, if you can even call it that, is awful. DO NOT use this company for your coverage needs. The contractors that they use (I am in DFW) are instructed to try to get out of any repair. I stopped speaking to them on the phone, because it was a different story each time. I ONLY communicate with them online, so that I could document what I was told. I notified the attorney general in Texas, and they said that they only take action if they get a lot of complaints, so if you have had a poor experience, let them know! I just tried to cancel, and they said that I needed to send them an e-mail requesting pretty please, and then follow up with a phone call, only to get another story of how it takes up to 30 days to cancel. 30. DAYS. Do yourself a favor, and choose a different company.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I submitted a garage door claim in February, no one contacted or called for two months, I told them to cancel for now. Reported the same claim again in July, it took two weeks for someone to come. They stated they had to order a part and rescheduled for the following week. No call no show, then see online it’s rescheduled for the following week... This goes on for a month. Week 5 someone finally comes to fix the garage door. I spoke to a supervisor and they said they’d refund my deductible, well over a month later and still no refund - basically took them 3 months to fix a garage door and it all comes down to them not wanting to replace anything - just repair it, even if it means inconveniencing you for months on end. Also, notice how they only reply to the good reviews. ;)

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I recently needed to contact First American Home Warranty for a service call on my house and I worried it was going to be a very painful process. However, I was met on the phone with a great member of their team who assisted to make the process seamless! She made all the coordination with the agency conducting the repairs alleviating all the stress on my end. Overall, extremely pleased with the company and I would recommend this company to anyone!

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Josue for your feedback. We are pleased that you are happy with our service. Thank you for choosing First American!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I would give 5 stars but all those letters I'm receiving from First American for payments (after I already paid to the provider) are really annoying. Other than that I'm very happy with the service. I Would definitely recommend.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Marina. Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to servicing your next claim!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We had a home warranty in the past and then we stopped it during the recession because we could't afford it at the time. When we started looking again at different home warranty companies, First American came up on the internet. We did some research and they have the best value for the dollar, deductible and cost, and what was covered so we decided to go with them this time.

So far, we've only done one claim with them and the experience went well. When our ice maker in the refrigerator freezer was leaking, we called First American to file a claim and their contractor got right back to us and scheduled a time to come out. They were able to come out, did the repair and everything went well. The technician was very knowledgeable and helpful. He fixed freezer without any problem. I’m usually the fix-it guy but it’s just nice when there’s something that I can’t fix, we can call somebody and they can come out and get it taken care of for us. So far, we’ve been very happy with First American and we’ll continue to keep it.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Greg. We appreciate your feedback. We are also happy to hear that your refrigerator was repaired and that you were pleased with the service. Thank you for choosing First American!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Refrigerator - Another very professional experience with FAHW staff, and the prompt claim processing was much appreciated. We have, unfortunately, had to file several claims over the last 7 years and our experience has always been courteous and professional. I highly recommend FAHW.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Robert for taking the time to provide us with a feedback. We are happy to hear that your refrigerator claim was repaired. Thank you for choosing First American!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

First American made sure I had next day repair service on our water heater. The vendor they referred showed up early and was pleasant and professional. I was pleased with how I was treated and would suggest First American to be your home warranty provider.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Joan for your feedback. We are glad that your water heater has been repaired. Thank you for choosing First American!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

For the most part we've been extremely happy and I referred a friend (Adam **) and he signed up yesterday. One bad experience with Houston Comfort Air. They charged us for work that wasn’t done on an a/c repair. Didn’t get any assistance from FAHW.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Rod. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We apologize that the contractor who serviced did not meet your expectation and will be forwarding your concerns to the appropriate department.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We had no heat Friday night and called First Am in the morning to get this fixed. They gave us a name of a company and said they would contact us within 24 to 48 hours. We live in Colorado and we are already in the 30's at night. We explained that we could not wait until Monday for them to call and they said they would add a note that it was urgent. We found a company close by and had them come check it out and our heat board was out. We called First Am Warranty again explaining that we needed this fixed today and requested they use this company. They said no. We needed to use the company that they gave us. We had no choice but to pay for the repair ourselves since it was an emergency. When you call you just keep hearing the same thing over and over again. They do not help you in an emergency at all! Very unhappy with the whole experience. We are looking into cancelling our warranty.

First American Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

First American Home Warranty was founded in 1984. The company is part of the First American family of businesses, which have a long history of financial stability. The company offers different coverage plans depending on the home’s location. Consumers can see details and get quotes online.

• Extensive coverage: The basic policy offered by First American Home Warranty includes a full list of systems and appliances, many of which are typically only covered with an enhanced home warranty policy.

• High coverage limits: First American Home Warranty has high limits for most repairs and replacements, so expensive items are fully covered. The company pays up to $250 for fixing code violations and obtaining permits.

• Claims hours: Service requests can be made 24 hours per day, seven days per week by phone and online; service requests are generally filled within 48 hours.

• Unlimited calls: First American Home Warranty does not limit the number of service requests a customer can make during their warranty period.

• Service providers: First American Home Warranty screens all service providers before hiring them to make repairs in consumers’ homes. They also monitor customer satisfaction with service providers' performance.

• Best for: homebuyers, real estate agents and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First American Home Warranty Company Information