Consumer Reviews and Complaints

First American Home Warranty

We appreciate your business, Eric!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

A couple of years ago, our real estate agent out here in California called us since we were going to sell our home in St. Louis, Missouri. We were becoming rent tenants, so she told us to consider getting a home warranty. I did a little research on First American and they had a good reputation. I talked to them and they went through a very detailed process on the product that they offered, so we chose them. We got a platinum home warranty deal that it had covered everything from head to toe in the house, and all we had to pay was a very small premium and then whenever we got a service call with anything. For $700 a year, it covers everything. It really turned out to be awesome.

It has been very easy to submit claims with them. I call their number, they look me up, then they verify the package that I have. Once that has been done, usually within the same day, they get back to me. We are out of state, and the technicians had been very cooperative. They would call me and I was able to give them the tenant’s number so they can arrange times. It’s been a really good service. Moreover, I don’t have eyes on the field, but I'm not hearing any complaints. Our tenants have been happy. In fact, one of them had no hot water and they have little kids, and we got First American after that day and got things fixed. So far, everything is good. It has been an easy-peasy experience.

First American Home Warranty

Happy to be of service, Sarah!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

The previous owners that we bought our house from already had the insurance from First American so we continued on with it. Submitting claims was pretty easy and fast. The reps were very helpful and they always answered my questions when I needed service. My mother-in-law who interacted with the First American people said that they were very good and respectful. Their people were professional and I'm pretty satisfied with their business.

First American Home Warranty

Thank you for being a loyal customer, Gaye!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I’ve used First American for 22 years and sometimes I’ve had very good luck. In the last five years, they’ve improved everything a lot in the sense of getting the signal sent to the person to come out much faster. And, you don’t have to be on hold for long on the phone line. Then lately it’s been pretty black and white. They are up front to say what is not covered and if it is covered, you pay your $65 and the thing gets fixed. They have replaced appliances when it was shot and could be replaced.

When it goes well, it goes very well and when it goes poorly, it goes very poorly. I had a washing machine once and the guy was very easy to work with. It was black and white, and he said, “This machine is shot. You should get a new one and we’ll pay for it and we’ll cover it with Sears.” They came right out, put the machine in and it was fine. That worked well. Then there was a time, also with Sears, where they wanted to set me up with representatives in Alabama and I simply didn’t want to order a dishwasher online.

I’m the kind of person who likes to take the tape measure down and be sure the machine is gonna actually fit. Some of the things that were for sale now were different. And finally, they allowed me to have a Tucson man come up from Sears and say, “Okay, we’re gonna bring you down to the selection and we’ll show you several and then we’ll get back to First American. And in order for them to pay, they need to make the approval of one of these that you pick.” So I said, “Okay, that sounds much better to me.” And he had the measuring tape and knew the exact models that would be good for that space. But when I did go down, I got in this trouble. First American said that I had made an upgrade and tried to charge me more money for that. That wasn’t good.

I had to do a lot of letters and forms, but finally it went in my favor. They finally agreed. They gave the choices and I had made a selection and they finally didn’t make me pay the extra $1,000. It was handled to everybody’s best ability, but there were misunderstandings all along the way. I stood my ground like I really didn’t think it was a good idea to put in a machine by ordering online. And then I really was happy when First American let me go down to Sears and choose and then Sears was very firm about they would not sell me one or install until First American approved. Then First American approved one and the man came out a day or two’s time and put one in.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything has been excellent with First American. It's the reason I keep paying month-to-month with them. I've been doing this for three years and they've done a really good job. I have recommended them.

I was disappointed that they use contractor that are impossible to reach and as a company they don't follow up with claims to see if insurer has been contacted back. The first contractor assigned never contacted me. Called contractor multiple times with no response. After 2 weeks of waiting to hear back from Old West Builders which was the contractor assigned to me, I called first American home buyers for them to assign another contractor to come out, which they did in a timely manner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Resolution In Progress

I have had to replace a water heater before in my other home. I had some knowledge about the cost. So when I was informed on the day of the repairs that I had to pay 1,040.00 for incidentals and First American was paying for the rest, I was furious!! I knew I had been screwed. It was 4 days before xmas and my kids wanted to go home, so we paid it. You can google the cost of a water heater installed. I was not displeased with the work of the contractor. The only thing First American did for me was make a phone call.

The heating unit was not working properly to achieve the correct temperature. The problem was misdiagnosed the first visit, but corrected the second visit. The heating company and the technician were very courteous and professional. The problem has been corrected.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've been a customer of First American since we moved in here seven years ago. I've been paying it for months at a time and am glad I have it when I do need it. They take care of everything. When I submitted a claim, I called in and asked them if my issue was covered. They said yes and gave me numbers. They told me that this guy from a plumbing company would contact me. This guy did, came out and said that it's a problem. He then called First American and the next day, he came out with a water heater and replaced it. I already have recommended First American to two people.

I was extremely pleased with this company. Excellent customer service from the first phone call which I received a day after placing my claim with our home warranty company. They found the plumbing problem and fixed it the same day. The repairman was very knowledgeable and professional. They arrived on-time and resolved the issue immediately. Would highly recommend this company.

I woke up to a geyser in my front yard. Put in a claim online and then followed up with a phone call at 8 am. The rep I spoke with put me on hold and said he was finding me a contractor who could come out that day. While on hold, I pulled up my service request online and viewed the name of the contractor they initially assigned. I pulled up reviews on that contractor and found they had all one star reviews and their standard MO was cancelling or no-showing on appointments and it ended up weeks or months out before the issue was finally fixed. When the rep came back on the line, he told me the contractor assigned would come out today, so I shared my review findings and said I wanted another contractor. He said they would find me one and call me back within two hours, and, if they couldn't find a contractor in that time, they would let me engage one myself and get reimbursed for expenses.

Right at two hours later, the original contractor calls and says they will be to my house between noon and 5 pm. At 4 pm, they call and say they won't be there that day but will put me as a priority for the next day and will call me. 1 pm the next day and no call from them, so I call them and the contractor tells me that they won't be there that day but will be there between noon and 5 pm the next day. At this point, it sounds a whole lot like those reviews I read that I advised First American about. So I call First American and tell them about this experience and they, too, fail to get me a contractor before tomorrow. However, now (finally) I can call one myself but if it goes over $125 then the contractor has to call them to get authorization. Hello? It's now Sunday so the minimum $350 just to get to my house. They acknowledge that and say, yes, so they will need to call us.

I ask why they can't just talk to each other directly and the rep says that they can't talk to them because they aren't on their approved contractor list. But they will talk to them once they are at my house and the clock on the hourly rate is ticking. Meanwhile, NO WATER. Nothing, zero. Oh, and my furnace has been out in the dead of winter for over three weeks while their lacky contractors can't fix the problem and now are taking two weeks minimum to order a part then will need to make an appointment that will be at least a week's out. So most of December and January with no heat. I've had a First American home warranty on my homes since 2001. They have always been good up until this past year. Now they are a total waste of money. Should be F rating with BBB.

Factual basis uncertain

When we purchased our home, the sellers had purchased a First American Home Buyers Protection that covered all the major appliances. Six months after we moved in, the heat pump broke. It was not fixable. So we filed with First American. After some legal pushing, they sent out a local firm who begrudgingly put in a heat pump. It was too small and installed improperly, so it leaked. Never worked well. Now we are in the coldest winter ever and no heat pump. We have had lawyer send letter to both First American and the installers, to no avail. No one is responsible and we need to come up with $6,000 to replace a heat pump that was suppose to be covered. They are crooks and will fight you the whole way if you do have a claim, or they will replace it with shoddy merchandise. Run the other way.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

First American did their job well. Their people were very thorough, polite and kind. I appreciated that they made us feel we were very important, like our needs were their needs. They were very apologetic that we had been without heat for so long. They didn't have to go through that, and we're just a client, but they did have empathy and sympathy.

I've used this company 7 years, but it's been a while since I filed a claim. Monday I called about my furnace not heating properly, with a burning smell. They sent out a technician later that day. He didn't really speak English, but led me to understand he was ordering a part, which would take a couple of days. I never heard from him again. I called First American again this morning, 5 days later. They said what was proposed was a "modification", not a repair, so I would pay $645. What does that even mean? This seems like bait and switch to me. I pay extra for a plan that not only covers repairing/replacing my furnace, but disposing of it.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor, as all employees I spoke to on Monday and today, had a thick accent. All have been difficult to understand. All had difficulty understanding me. This was not the case previously. First American now outsources to Guatemala and the Dominican Republic. And the supervisor was not a true supervisor. She simply repeated what the employee said, as if reading from a computer script. I am raising my 4 grandchildren. We are sitting in a freezing house, making do. We may have to go to a motel, as we are getting snow, and temps are plunging down to 16-17 this weekend.

And First American offers no apology for not contacting me for 5 days, or at all. And they are refusing to fix my furnace unless I pay for it, after 7 years of my paying premiums. I will be spending time this weekend, sending out reviews such as this one, to wherever possible. A more detailed complaint is going to the BBB. I am also calling my attorney to see if I can sue for the furnace plus damages.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a two-storey house and was concerned that one of the big items that may have gone out on my home warranty then was going to be my AC and heat pump, which was on my roof. The warranty company that I had at the time would not cover crane service so I researched and discovered that First American did. That's why I switched to them. One time when it was super busy and cold, it took a while to get service but in most cases, I got responses back really quickly. And usually, within a day or two, I'd get my service taken care of. So, I like First American. I recommended them to my sister in another state.

Factual basis uncertain

First American will try whatever they can to stop from paying out on a claim. They will asked for fourth or fifth opinions, they will ask for documentation to be faxed between specific hours. Their customer service team will also hang up on you or put you on hold for over an hour (this happened to me a few times). We finally paid to repair our garage ourselves and are currently seeking a refund from First American. Do not buy a warranty from them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had the First American policy when we bought the house and we continued it over the years. We submit claims online, get a response and we try to figure it out with whatever company they referred us to. The technicians have all been great. Over the course of 10 years, we only had one tech who didn't get the job done. Other than that, First American has been great for us.

Today is January 3, 2017. We filed a claim for our stove on August 26, 2016. First American has given us the runaround and continues to blame "The Contractor" for the delays. To date we have had 3 different contractors. The first contractor came to our house 1 time, took a picture of our stove and said the parts were discontinued. The second contractor scheduled with us 7 times, showed up twice and was unable to repair the stove. First American blamed the second contractor for everything although they did not keep in touch with the contractor to inform him when and where to send the part.

We are now on our third contractor who has been a no show time 2!!! We have spent countless hours on the phone with First American (mostly on hold) for every rep to give us the same scripted response. Our rep Devyn, only responds when he thinks the issue has been resolved for us to tell him that it has not. We have left dozens of messages with him and we have also expressed his lack of communication to every rep we are transferred to. The communication between departments within First American is horrible as well. Everyone we speak with tells us they are ESCALATING. Our claim to the department that can make the decision to cash out our claim. WELL THAT NEVER HAPPENS AND WE NEVER HEAR BACK FROM THE REP!!!!

It is ridiculous that First American take our premium every month without delay, yet we are at 4+ months without a stove and we are still waiting on the contractor First American chose to fix our stove (although 2 contractors have told us the repaired control board most likely will not work) and both are contractors from First American. In October, First American Home Buyers provided temporary relief and reimbursed us a max of $50 for a table top double burner. By that time we were already in 1.5 months and we still have not gotten our stove fixed. We have been spinning our wheels for months and went through the holidays without a stove.

I have read plenty of great reviews about First American, but I'm sad to say that I'm glad we are not the only ones they are screwing over. We have been transferred numerous times to Claims Resolutions Dept, Contractor Relations Dept, Claims Mgr (Devyn), Purchasing Dept, Dispatch Dept, and we have been directed to all 3 contractors. They will give you the same excuse regardless of who you speak with and they will promise to call you back and never will, leaving you hanging until you have time in your day to call, sit on hold, get disconnected, call back and sit on hold again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had called First American and asked them about putting some Freon in our air conditioner. They said that was maintenance and it wasn't broke. I was disappointed in that because I've always understood that maintenance was the best thing to keep from having a repair. But I went ahead and got a contract on this house that I'm in now. When my garbage disposal went out, I called them and it all went well. It was above and beyond plumbing which I've never used before 'cause I haven't had any problems. I was pleased with First American and they were super people to deal with. I had American Home Shield and they were terrible. One of the guys they sent didn't have an office so I had to use a cellphone to get a hold of him. It was a total fiasco.

Resolution In Progress

First American is the worst home warranty company I have ever dealt with. I paid $540 for an annual policy. Shortly after, my ceiling began leaking because of a broken pipe. The plumber they sent to my house did not even have a ladder with him. He could not access the pipe nor fix the leak. As a result, I was forced to pay another plumber $225 out of my pocket. When I asked First American to reimburse me, not only did they refuse, but when I canceled my policy with them, they returned only a fraction of my $540, citing administrative fees. I paid them several hundred dollars for absolutely NOTHING. This is highway robbery. I will never use First American again, and I am warning as many people as I can about their fraudulent policies.

Factual basis uncertain

Buyers please BEWARE... When you try to get a high dollar repaired this will give the runaround, lie to you and not fix things as promised. My family has been without hot water for 24 days and counting! That means laundry, no showers, and no dishes. Between the company, the contractors they have and the suppliers no one does what they say they are going to do. All I get when we call is the runaround and people pointing fingers at each other. Please be smarter than I was and save your family hassle, time, frustration and being without basic home necessaries and do not buy from this company!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend from church recommended First American Home Buyers Protection over another home warranty company. The claim process was super easy. The claims representative was courteous and able to answer all my questions.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I purchased my home, First American warranty was bought for me for the first year and I continued it. I've had two claims for my swimming pool. Submitting claims was okay and the process was very easy. The technician was cool and I watched what he did so if the problem happened again, I could fix it myself. It was the same the last time he came and he showed me what to do. I had one other claim a long time ago for my stove and First American took care of that also. So far, it’s been good with them. I hope I won’t have to use them again but if I do, I hope it goes as smoothly as the last times I've used them.

Factual basis uncertain

I recently had problems with my heating system which is covered under my First American Home Warranty. So they referred me to a repair company approximately an hour plus away from my home. The repair company then informed me the soonest they could be in my area was in 4 weeks. I then notified customer service that they would find a company sooner and would call me back later that day. NO ONE EVER CALLED... Imagine that!!

Three days later, the original company that had a 4 week ETA called me back stating that First American notified them again to go back, even though they had a several week ETA. Again, I spoke to First American and they could not answer why no one ever called me back or why they keep referring me to the same repair company that cannot come out promptly. If you are searching for a home warranty company keep looking because First American is not it. They will do whatever they cannot to repair what is covered including by not calling you back. Ultimately, I had the repairs done myself other than playing games with them. Thanks for nothing First American!!!

My husband and I bought a house in July 2016. Our title company purchased our home warranty as part of our closing (With First American). In November I had to file a claim for our AC and they sent out North Star Mechanical in Dallas. They were the worst AC company and First American was not much help dealing with them either. I had to cancel the claim and pay for someone else to fix it. I went a month with no heat or AC. I have had other warranty companies and never had this many problems. First American needs to do a better job if they want my 600 dollars for a warranty.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Submitting a claim with FAHBP was pretty simple. It was fine interacting with the claims representative. They were courteous and able to answer my questions. The quality of work done by the technician was good and what they came here for to fix is still working.

We have had a warranty with First American for 5 years now, and other than sometimes approvals taking a while with contractors we have never had a problem, until this year. Over 4th of July weekend our well pump went, which meant we had no water to our house. With 3 young kids, including bottle-fed twin infants at the time, this was clearly an emergency. First American was not able to provide a contractor for us over the holiday weekend, and instead told us to hire someone out and we would be reimbursed.

We were explicitly told to call and get approval before having the work done, so of course we did. Because of the holiday weekend and plumbing stores weren't open, we had to get a pump from Lowe's, and the only available one was smaller than what was originally on the system. Before going further I called for approval and the employee spoke on the phone first to me, then the contractor, and we were told we were good to go. I never was given an approval number for the work, and honestly had no idea I needed one or I would have asked the woman.

I also never would have approved $1300 worth of work without approval. After the work was done and we submitted the paperwork to be reimbursed First American denied the claim, saying we didn't get approved for the work, and I was called a liar on the phone by the representative. After speaking with a supervisor it was determined that the work was approved but not put in the system, and reimbursement was given thankfully.

Fast forward almost 6 months later and our pump motor went again, leaving us with no water with company here for the holiday. First American sent a company out to us who we were great. When they called to get the approval, First American said because we hired an outside company last time, which used a smaller motor and we didn't get approval first, they were not covering the claim.

So now we have to pay $900 out of pocket, when the only reason any of the above reasons happened was because First American couldn't provide a contractor for us in July to begin with. First American is the reason we had to hire an outside company so we could get water restored to our house, and they told us on the phone the work was approved ahead of time, even with a smaller motor. So because of technicalities on their end that were due to them not being able to provide us a contractor on a holiday, we are out this money on emergency work this time. Needless to say, our warranty is up for renewal and we are absolutely not renewing it this time.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I bought my home warranty from First American because they got pretty good reviews. And it seemed like the benefits were better with them compared to others. I also talked to the salespeople from a bunch of different companies and I felt like the guy I talked to from First American was the most honest and forthcoming. Filing a claim with them was pretty easy. I don't love automated systems generally, but it wasn't terrible.

At first I thought the quality of the work done by the tech who came out was really good. He had to come twice because something ended up not working right away. He also had to fight with First American to get the repair covered because apparently they didn't want to cover it. But he got it covered. Then a few months later I was up on my roof doing something and I found a spare part that was kind of lost on my roof which was a little unnerving. But for the most part, he's a nice guy so I don't want to rake over the coals too much about him.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It's usually easy submitting a claim and we’ve used First American for about 12 years, so we’re good. The claims reps are friendly, helpful, and always get somebody out right away. The technicians are always really nice, we don’t ever have a problem with any of them, and they’re always on time. I've had one claim where they had to come back a second time, but that was not their fault so it was not a big deal.

Factual basis uncertain

First American Home Warranty has demanded payment for contractors that never came to my home. First American has demanded payment for contractors who looked at me and said, "We don't even do this kind of work." When an item should be covered, First American's customer service simply deletes that item from the claim, such that their record shows you never claimed it as a problem but you still owe First American for the service call. It's a complete circus. First American is a SCAM, pure and simple. It's fraud. When you refuse to pay for the above experiences, they turn you over to a collections agency. I have no problem with paying my bills, but I definitely have a problem with paying for fraud. First American Home Warranty as a company -- is pure and simple fraud.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have been with First American for 5 years now. All my experiences in submitting a claim over the phone have all been positive. The contractors they sent me have done a good job. We had no problems.

First American Home Warranty Company Profile