2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews We Found

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty Call Now Toll Free (855) 292-5827 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My house is old and paid for, so there's no reason not to protect it against all those things that could go wrong with an older house. I heard about First American Home Warranty through a friend and I signed up with them. The first time I had a claim with them was frustrating because you have to understand that they want to repair rather than replace. But once you understand that they're gonna come out and try to find a way to fix it, even though it might not be fixable, you'd deal with it. So, I have no problem with the process once I understood it.

Filing claims with them can be done in a couple of ways but I do it by the phone. I'm old and I'd like to talk to people.With First American, some reps get back to you right away and some do it a little later and it's a little frustrating that you have to wait for them to get back to you. I also missed one call though. They called my office instead of my cellphone, so I didn't pick it up and I didn't even know who was calling me. Aside from that, when they wanna replace an appliance, you gotta be very tough with them. I have KitchenAid products and they wanted to give me a lower rank microwave. But I have matching KitchenAid appliances and I didn't wanna put a different brand of microwave in the middle of high-end KitchenAid appliances. So, I took the cash, bought a microwave, and made money.

Other than that, the last tech that I dealt with was a fool. He was very urgent, very abrupt, and he knew everything. But he cancelled my appointment even though he was supposed to work for me for the repair of my dishwasher. He was also so angry when I told him that the top rack was hanging half off. He said that that doesn't happen, but I told him that it has happened twice and I had the part in my hand. I understand that some of these guys really don't wanna be doing what they do with First American but I don't know why they're in it, if they don't wanna do it. They let you know that they're not really getting paid a lot, but if they don't wanna do it, then they shouldn't be on the list.

But other than that last tech, the other ones I had were great and they did what they were supposed to do. The one that First American eventually sent our for my dishwasher was great. He understood my problem and didn't waste my time. I already had the problem before, so I knew exactly what was the needed the part and the part number. So, I told him what the part was before he came out, instead of going through a rigmarole with him coming out, saying what part was needed and that he'd be back with it. We skipped a two-appointment process which is a waste of everybody's time. I only pay one copay, so it doesn't matter to me. But I told the guy what I needed and he came with the part, so he got the repair done in one full swoop.

Overall, the warranty works for me and I like the coverage. First American has also done what I expected them to do. I don't know if they're good, bad, or indifferent, but I've had a water heater replaced and they took care of it. They also put in a new microwave for me and they fixed my dishwasher three times. I have the top coverage and for the $600 that I pay annually, which is 50 bucks a month, it's money well spent, especially if you have an older home and your appliances are all very old, like mine. My air conditioner goes out at $6,000 and that's 10 years of payment to make that up. And I guarantee within the next 10 years, if I'm alive, that my air conditioner is gonna go out because it's already 20 years old. So, that's why you protect against the big things.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Michael for your review.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had a garage door problem. First American Home Warranty sent somebody out. I’m not a mechanic, but I said, “I think there’s something wrong with the motor.” Without looking nor testing the motor he said, “We need to change your springs and your rails.” I asked if it was covered and he said no and that’ll be around $1,500. And since he was busy, he would be able to come after dinner on his own time. I said okay, but I got to thinking about it. I looked at our coverage and it looked as though some of that was covered. But the problem was he didn’t look at the motor. I said I'd hold it off and called another garage door place on my own dollar, and asked them to come out and give me a look-see on the problem I got with the door. He came out and he pushed a button, and it was jumping and glitching. He took the cover off, and he said, “It’s your motor.” And I said, “Is it the spring or the rails?” “No, no, those are in good shape.”

I called First American back and they were really good enough to send another company. That company changed the motor and it’s been working perfectly since. Two weeks after that, my commode was overflowing so I called First American. A plumbing guy came out and said, “There’s nothing wrong with your toilet here.” I said, “Well, maybe it’s being stopped up.” He said, “The stoppage is gonna be in your front yard. We’re gonna have to dig it up and find the drain line and then unplug it.” I said, “You can’t put some plumber’s snake? I’ve got one that’s 20 feet long. I just didn’t wanna damage anything."

He said, “No. We can dig in your front yard and that would cost between $1,500 and $2,000, but that’s not gonna be covered.” I said, “Okay. I just don’t wanna do that just yet.” I called First American back again, and they sent another guy out. He said, “There’s nothing wrong with your drain.” He said it’s the toilet fixture itself. The toilet was split. There’s a fine line and that aggravated the flushing problem.

We got three contracts with First American, for our home and two rental properties. So, I was so mad with the two contractors that said that I had to replace the springs and the rails without even looking at the motor, and the other guy who wanted to dig my front yard. This kind experience just happened lately. We have been totally supportive with First American. As a matter of fact, I’m part of the homeowner’s association and I’ve often talked about them. And a lot of the homeowners have gone with them because of my involvement and my positive attitude. My concern was that some contractors try to take advantage of a person without going into the part that was really what was causing the problem.

First American has a couple of bad contractors that are in it for trying to spin the homeowner out of their money when it was something that was so obvious. If there’s a certain number of complaints, that company should be reconsidered for going out. My wife was close to going ahead with agreeing with this rail thing and digging up the front yard, which doesn’t make sense. But after we sorted it through, First American have been absolutely 100% with their response. I would recommend them over everybody else and I guarantee it. Had we not pursued that with First American and got somebody else out, we would’ve been in the red by about $4,000. Other than that, they have been perfect. We’re happy with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Alan, thank you for your feedback. Our records indicate that we have since dispatched another contractor who replaced the motor to your garage door opener and the job has been completed. Thank you.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had a warranty since I bought my house as I figured it would be better if I do since I live in an older home. However, my previous home warranty did not cover some items that I liked covered, so I looked into First American and they said they would cover those. The thing is, I have an issue with my refrigerator that I have mentioned to them in the past, but it seemed like they don’t listen. I’ve been commenting that my refrigerator is breaking as it's making tons of noise, but they keep saying that they can do nothing about it because it’s not broken. I have stated that if it either breaks or explodes, it’s not just gonna cost the refrigerator. It might cost the wall and more damage to whoever is around it. I tell my kids to get out of the kitchen when they hear the noise. And whenever I get family in the house, they ask about the noise and say that it’s not normal.

It happens every day and at different times, like at 3 o’clock in the morning, I hear that thing like a cranking motor going on like a hammer - a super loud noise. A refrigerator is supposed to be quiet. I wrote First American an email. I sent them text messages. I wrote random notes to whoever it might be a concern but I don’t think anybody reads them. And the technician says the same thing, that he can’t do anything about it and he doesn’t have a work order for it.

Also, it’s a little frustrating when there are repeating items that keep on breaking. It just seems like an ongoing thing but I gotta pay the fee again. And I can’t change who they hire. They don’t sympathize, and whenever I call in concerns that I have for my house that have been repeatedly done, like something that we got done last year that I’m doing again, they say we should do a new claim. And there’s nothing I can do. I have to do that. I got to fix these things, especially when it comes to stoves, refrigerators, things that I have to use daily.

Then when I call to submit my claims, sometimes I get answers from reps that are polite, but others are not too polite. Some also don’t listen to what I have to say at all. They just want to book an appointment. And though some of the contractors they send are okay, some are not. They’re not very talkative. Sometimes the people don’t speak the language, and they don’t have a lot of communication. Also, they don’t clean up after themselves at times. Although I've had a company before that was good. I have been given different companies in the past, it's just that I cannot choose. The reps just tell me that somebody’s gonna contact me.

Original review: July 28, 2019

I've used First American Home Warranty for quite a while. I do everything over the phone and my interactions with the reps have been mostly good. But we've had one major incident that cost us a lot of money. It was something that First American did not respond quickly enough to with an electrician and we ended up having to get somebody in to fix a water heater problem. It cost me $1,900 because we had to fix it over a holiday weekend. Most of the time, we can wait three days like when there was an electrical outlet not working in the rental house. It took four days to fix it and that was okay. But when I have a tenant that just moved into our rental home and they lost their water heater on a Friday before a three-day weekend, that killed me that nobody was able to respond.

In my main home, I've got an air conditioner for the back part of my house that I had somebody set up a week ago. The contractor came out, looked at it and said that they couldn't do that type of air conditioner so I had to call the warranty company back and reschedule with a different vendor. Plus, the contractor called the day before they were supposed to come last week and said that they couldn't come. And there's a third air conditioning specialist that's set up for tomorrow morning between 9 and noon. If they cancel or come out and say they can't fix it, I'm gonna be livid.

I've had mostly good contractors show up, but I had a problem two years ago with a range. Two days before Thanksgiving, my oven went out and I couldn't get anybody until after Thanksgiving. I understood that and luckily, we were not cooking Thanksgiving dinner here or else it would've been a disaster. They came out and they fixed the part afterwards.

10 days later, the same part failed and the temperature spiked to 600 degrees inside the oven. The guy came back out a week later, replaced it, and then had to come back out again and replace the motherboard because they weren't able to do the fix that they did twice. It still wasn't fixed correctly. That was a bit of a cluster screw-up. There was a defective part, but it wasn't diagnosed right away and it caused us four weeks without having an oven. I'm not going anywhere, but it gets frustrating sometimes when people don't show up. I would recommend First American still.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Updated on 09/04/2019: This is a follow up from a review I submitted a couple of weeks ago. After an endless run around with both Jungle Cat heating and cooling and First American, the nightmare got worse. I was told that more agents would be assigned to the case. None of these agents seemed to know what had been going on so the story kept having to be retold. After initially being told that Jungle Cat was the only HVAC contractor serving my area, I suddenly got a call from an agent in the renewal dept. After telling the story again, she was pretty fired up and instructed me to get my own 2nd opinion and e mail her the estimate. I did and she forwarded it internally to be processed for reimbursement. This was her directive because Jungle Cat refused to come back after 3 service calls with out fixing the issues.

Then nothing for a while and suddenly emails started coming in from different agents, 5 in total. One of the agents actually called and left a message that he couldn't read one of the numbers on the estimate to make it possible to process the reimbursement. He then sent emails telling me that they were going to send different contractors to assess the problems. After multiple attempts to explain that I had chosen the contractor that did the 2nd opinion, he seemed not to understand and kept coming up with more contractors. This is odd because they originally told me there was only one.

I am now convinced that this is a standard tactic to stall and refuse reimbursement. This has been the worst customer service experience I have ever had and I am 70. Over the 2 months they have been jerking me around, my system has deteriorated to where I now will have to lay out 5200 to get it replaced. As a footnote,I contacted the other contractors they wanted to send and was told that First American is an awful company to deal with because they have huge problems getting reimbursed as well. I would like to warn everyone out there who are thinking of getting a home warranty, DON'T DO IT. It's a scam. Have filed a complaint with the AZ Attorney General's office. I highly recommend everyone who has similar complaints do this. It is free and easy.

Original review: First we needed a leaking washing machine fixed. Done quickly and professionally. Next, the A/C started malfunctioning. In the middle of a heat wave in AZ and the technician was terrific. Seems to be working well. Unfortunately, we got a renewal notice and they had jacked up the annual price more than 200 dollars which is not acceptable. Since literally every other warranty company is offering deals similar in price to our current policy with extra bonuses thrown in, we won't be staying with FAHW. Unfortunate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Resolution response: June 1, 2020

The company sent me a message on this platform saying that my $75 service call fee had now been waived. It's not 'waived' because I didn't owe it in the first place, but they say it is taken care of. I am leaving this a one star rating because I couldn't get any kind of response or answer from them by calling and had to file a complaint on this website in order to get a resolution. That is terrible customer service.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I called about my garage door opener and they scheduled someone from Sears to come out a week later. On the day my door opener was supposed to be serviced, Sears called and asked what brand of opener I have. The only brand they service is Craftsman, and my garage door opener is a different brand. So after waiting a week, I had to find my own local company to service my garage door. The Sears person NEVER set foot on my property. The problem with my garage door opener was small and cost less to fix than the $75 deductible First American would have charged me, so I did not seek the reimbursement I was offered for the outside contractor.

Weeks later I received a bill in the mail for service from Sears. I called and the lady I spoke with said it was taken care of and I would not receive any more bills. Then I received another bill, so I sent a written explanation of why I don't owe them any money. THEN I RECEIVED A COLLECTION NOTICE for service from Sears. I called First American and they transferred me three times until I ended up leaving a message on some guy's voice mail who is apparently my 'case manager.' I spent the better part of an hour on hold so that I could get someone's voicemail.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I know everyone’s supposed to be staying in at this time, but First American has held the fort. I had my HVAC repaired a week ago and the contractors they sent were all dressed in protective equipment. I can’t say how much I appreciated that. Very professional!! The repair was made the same day.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Marco. We certainly understand the seriousness during this pandemic. As we all weather the storm, we are continuing to do our best to provide fast and efficient service. Thank you for your positive feedback and for choosing First American.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 25, 2020

Submitted request for repair on A/C on 5/18/20. Tech came out, said it was the coil that needs replacement. FAHW called and said $1,300 out of pocket wasn’t covered. Asked for call back, never received. I called back on 5/25 and was told cash out would be $275. Explained the tech stated all that needs to be replaced was coil, rep called out a list of items that needs to be changed out also. Asked for a second opinion and was told I would have to get my own second opinion.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 23, 2020

The tech that was sent lacked the required skill to troubleshoot the problem and properly repair. He stated parts for my system was not available. I called another company, they found the part, locally, had my shower repaired in 2 hours. First American was not willing to reimburse me the cost of the repairs I had to incur. I searched social media and this company had a 1 star. There was also a complaint of a similar repair.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I have had First American for a few years. I have their appliance protection and pool and spa protection. So far most issues that have come up, they say is not covered. My refrigerator's water dispenser isn't working and they came over and said it isn't covered because the refrigerator is still running. Yes but not as a whole and during the sale call the sales person. Said it would cover issues that come up with the refrigerator not specifically if it breaks down as a whole. Another time they came to fix a plumbing issue where the water pressure wasn't well and lo and behold it too wasn't covered for one excuse or another. All and all in my experience they do not deliver on what they promise and take your money. My suggestion put away $80 a month in a separate bank account and you can fix any issue that comes up in that time frame on your own with a contractor you trust.

Hello Hootan,
    We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. At this time, our records indicate that First American has dispatched a second opinion to diagnose the refrigerator. Once the diagnosis is complete First American will review and proceed accordingly.

Thank you.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
    Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
    Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
    Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
    Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
    Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
    Septic tank system $500
    *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
    2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
    3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information