It's that easy Request Information
3.63/5
Based on 1,198 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty lets consumers choose from a basic plan or premier plan and submit a claim 24/7 online or via phone. Happy customers like that their claims are processed in a timely manner and say they receive great service.

PROS

• It's easy to submit a claim
  • Kind and courteous customer service
  • Knowledgeable, trusted technicians
  • A single service call even if more than one technician is needed
  • Easy contract renewal

CONS

• Contractor qualifications can vary
  • Sometimes slow response time in resolving issues

5141 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I've been with First American for six months and so far, it's been good with them. Their website is easy to use to file claims. My wife has interacted with their reps and she's been happy. Also, the techs they've sent out have been professional and have done high-quality work. I would recommend First American.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Had 3 claims with this company and none was resolved. They just patched the issue rather than a fix and problem kept showing up every 3-4 months and they would patch up again and charge service fee again and again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Bought a house with the warranty. Second day in house November 28 and still waiting. First plumber said they couldn’t fix it and they said they would send second plumber out. I am still waiting. Water heater broke and the company said they ordered the piece and it would come in the mail, I am still waiting for that also. This company is a scam because they charge $75.00 to send someone and they fiddle around the house for one hour and then call American Home Warranty and say they can’t fix the issue. American Home said they would send someone else and I am still waiting. Please save your money because this company does not solve your issues and you waste time calling them.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've had to use my warranty coverage several times. First American Home Warranty did/performed EXACTLY as they said they would. The amount of money I pay for this Outstanding Service Pails by comparison to not having this coverage. I've already recommended this insurance to several home buying friends!

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you David for your review!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've had First American for my home warranty for years. For the most part, it's been fine with them. Their website works fine when I submit a claim and their customer service team has gotten things done. The techs they've sent were okay too. However, the first one who came in for my last repair could have done more than he did, but he didn't. Then, the second one who came in place of him tried to sell me a new furnace and although it wasn't a bad idea, it just wasn't what I was looking for from a technician. I also have an unresolved issue at the moment on my last service. Still, First American has been good. They do what they say they're gonna do and that's the important thing. If I have a problem, they get it fixed. Also, the value for what I get is good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

This pertains to the Pensacola/Gulf Breeze area. Upon filing a claim for our newly purchased house - the plumbing crew erroneously diagnosed the problem and First American denied our claim. Upon bringing out 3 separate licensed contractors, they all correctly diagnosed the problem, but First American stuck with their incorrect conclusion. Most corrupt warranty company.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My water heater rusted out. I contacted FAHW and met the technician at my home to review the repair needed. He concluded the water heater needed replaced. The next day FAHW contacted me to tell me they would order the water heater but that the plumbing contractor was requesting an additional $680 from me to do the install as there were major modifications required. I'm in the home building business so I know what needs to be done and there are no minor modifications let alone major ones. The only extra is to replace the gas line as required for a new installation (at a cost of less than $40).

When I complained to FAHW they offered me a "cash out" which came to less than the discounted cost of the water heater, thereby leaving no money for the delivery and installation of the replacement water heater. I contacted the contractor and he said it didn't matter that there were no modifications, he wouldn't do the job for any less than $570 because he bid the job with FAHW too low to make any money without charging the customer extra. I contacted FAHW and they said I had no recourse but to pay the contractor his fraudulent fee or take the cash out. Needless to say I won't renew my contract with FAHW.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I placed a claim 6 months ago for a broken fridge. I have had countless repair companies/contractors come to "fix" the fridge - all of whom say it is unfixable. And yet First American continues to send out another service company only to say it's the same unfixable problem. And yet First American refuses to issue any compensation to replace the fridge. I have spoken to multiple Supervisors and when I ask to speak w/ their supervisor, they claim they are unable to speak w/ customers. Arguably the worst service company I have ever encountered. #NeverAgain

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I called First American on 11/29/18 for service to fix our furnace which is not heating our house. It's now 12/11/19 and we have never heard or seen a repair person. I have been on the phone with First American seven times and all they keep saying is that they are trying to locate a contractor. Really?? I see repair vans driving by my house several times a day! Meanwhile it's 17 degrees outside and 40 degrees inside our house. We have been using space heaters for two weeks now!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS WARRANTY COMPANY!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

It was the first year and only one claim but I must say I have dealing with others, this is lowest. The plumber they sent wanted to make deal but I did not accept. The second company changed the expensive end of the tub faucet with the cheapest on the market $15.00. He refused to touch the clogged tub and walked away. This process took over month and I was lucky to leave this miserable warranty as my year expired. Their staff are dedicated for saying no or giving excuses.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

On October 7 I called First American Home Warranty (FAHW) for the service because pipe under kitchen’s sink has drainage problem (stuck) plus food disposal leaking. FAHW scheduled technician on Tuesday. But later changed to Wednesday. The technician fixed the drainage problem first for almost one hour. Then checked with food disposal and confirmed the leaking, further the plastic pipes under sink need be replaced, some if not all.

However, the technician said that he needs to report the food disposal to FAHW because it was connected with power cord outside of it. Even I requested him to change the pipe first, he expressed to solve disposal before he can change the pipes. Later FAHW rejected to replace a new disposal or pipes because the disposal was connected outside of the disposal is not complying with code.

The Warranty was bought by previous house owner as the deal in transaction when I bought this house in last December 2017. I can believe that even just turn off the switch that technician won’t get any hurt, but just this excuse to reject the service and ask customer to pay by himself. And I wonder why don’t they blame for the space too small for the power cord so hard to connect and put it inside of the disposal. If this little service FAHW doesn’t list to service, what kind of good service that FAHW can provide for all of other customers? Let alone you’ve to pay $75 each time customer to call for service. And now FAHW is shameless to ask for $75 for not finish the service and waste me much time for waiting. Don’t be fool to buy FAHW service anymore! Period.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

We had a very bad experience with claim service. It is disappointing and frustrating when the claim has not been fixed after 10 days. First home warranty assigns the contractors, expect us to chase the contractor. The contractor commits that he will come on Sunday at 10 and later at 12 when we reach out to him, moves to 2-4. After which there is no response from the contractor. Till today, the claim is not resolved. On reaching out to first American Home Warranty to understand the time frame when the contractor would come down for the service (10 days past the claim date), the customer representative could not reach out to the contractor. I even proposed to the supervisor to change the contractor as the service is not yet delivered. First American supervisor tell us to wait for the contractor to respond. We do and nothing happens.

We take service from home warranty company, Don't understand why the company cannot take the responsibility of servicing the customer on time. Also there should be some minimum timeframe by which the service should be rendered. In my case it is 10 days and the service is not complete. Every time as customer we have to spend 30+ minutes on calls to understand the status for which we taken the service. I have never seen such a bad service model for a company whose main service is to cater to customers claims. I want everybody to be aware of the terrible claim service before deciding on for this warranty.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Job (Kitchen Sink Backing up) was first assigned to Capitol Plumbing And Rooter Incorporated. Then it was assigned to Original Westwood Plumbing Incorporated for fixing a back-up that was not fixed the first time. This was on Nov. 20. However, we still have the issue.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We received another bill for a $75 service fee. The frustrating part is they said we had been "unresponsive to previous efforts to resolve this account" and were going to turn the bill over to a collection agency! Ha! I can't count how many phone calls we have endured about this situation as well as photocopying info and sending it to them. It boils down to the fact that they sent a contractor out to do work that FAHW doesn't cover. When the contractor arrived, he said FAHW did not cover turbines. We paid him anyway, and he said to contact FAHW for a refund. We did and FAHW said they would refund the fee on our credit card, and they did.

Then they sent us a bill for a service fee for another contractor which we had already paid. When we called, they claimed that we double paid that contractor and they had refunded the double pay by giving us $75 on our credit card. Tonight--after an hour and a half--the guy said there was no record of us calling to dispute the turbine call and that there was no record of them agreeing to waive the service call fee. So, we paid another $75. Now we plan to call and find out what is involved in cancelling our contract and find someone else. I still can't believe they made us pay a service call fee to a contractor who did nothing because he shouldn't have been sent in the first place!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My claim was handled in a very efficient manner. The HVAC contractor called me and came out to evaluate the problem in less than 24 hours. There were a few scheduling glitches but they communicated very well throughout the whole process. They took the guesswork out of what was going to happen next.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Larry for your review!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I submitted an online service request regarding a plumbing stoppage. The process was easy and I appreciate being able to pay online and upfront, as it makes it easier for me. The plumbing company contacted me the next day and came out to fix the problem a day later. I haven't had any stoppage issue since then.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Alex for your feedback and for choosing First American!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Claim resolution is terrible. I have submitted a claim on Sunday December 2 for a bad hot water heater. Today is December 7. Still no resolution. The warranty company could not find anyone for over a week. I was instructed to find an outside vendor to give an estimate. On Tuesday the 4th I submitted a quote. Today is Friday. Still have not heard from anyone. The only contact I get is when I call them. This warranty company has the worst customer service I have ever seen. I have not had hot water since Sunday. I just keep getting, "I never got your fax," etc. I would advise not to use this home warranty company.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Brett. We apologize for any delays or inconvenience you may have experienced. We are aware that your water heater was replaced today. Thanks, Shanee.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I believe your services are doing a good job. If they do not do their job, I will can and ask questions on why they did or did not do a certain thing. Always a quick response to our needs. Most of the service members are usually polite and sociable. Some are extremely helpful and offer advice.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your time in providing a review! We appreciate it!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I had a different home warranty company a long time ago when I had my old house and I was with them for seven years. But towards the end of that period, I didn’t have a good experience with them. I had something that needed to be repaired, but they gave me a hard time. After that, I sold that house and when we bought this house, we needed to have a different home warranty company. So, I googled and saw the review on First American, and we decided to use them. I've been calling them to submit a claim and my experience in doing that has been perfect. The first time, I had a claim for my washer. The contractor that contacted me did the repair right away and their techs fixed my washer on the same day. I was happy with that. Then something happened to the motor of our AC and the techs are now in the process of fixing it. Overall, the techs that usually come out to fix things have been perfect.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Muluken for the review and for choosing First American!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

First American was recommended to us. We've only submitted one claim, but so far, we had a good and easy experience. I called and it didn't take too long for them to send a technician. It was just within 24 hours. One of the technicians that I was assigned to, came in. I wasn't home, but said they don't deal with that sort of repair. He went back quickly and somebody else was assigned. The next company that came tried to fix it but a part was missing, so they had to order a part. We had to wait a couple of weeks but they were diligent about it. They called me when they got the part, and they worked hard on trying to fix it and they did eventually.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Elise for your feedback!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Washer could not be repaired. First American gave us a refund on our old washer so we went out and bought a new washer. Their service was very prompt and courteous. I warmly recommend First American to everyone.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your feedback, Cristian and look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Water heater would not stay on! The serviceman was very nice and stated to give him a call if any more problems and he would come out within 45 days to fix. So I was happy with that seeing that all he did was dust the water heater out.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you for your review, Gina!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Realtor bought this for me and I paid for a second year hoping they would help me replace my HVAC, which was 20 years old so I didn't think it would last much longer. Instead of replacing, they were willing to pay $500 to find a part that is no longer in production to repair my unit IF I will dish out $1500 to upgrade my HVAC to comply with city code! WTF? If it's out of code, help me replace it! That's what I paid for! All their other coverage are the same. Basically, the monthly/annually fee you pay is a membership fee. Every time you need their service, you pay their associates a flat fee of $75 to fix it. Sometimes it costs more to hire a private plumber sometimes less to hire an exterminator. So for $50 a month, you can just pay a flat fee of $75.

That's what you get and if that had been how they marketed themselves I would have been okay with giving them five stars... But I would have never bought it because I have friends and family who can do most of these things for less than $75. My neighbor would benefit from First American. She's in her 80's and constantly in and out of the hospital and has no friends and gets taken advantage of by solicitors. She needs something like this so she has one place to go when she needs help with a busted appliance or pipe in her house. If that's you, you should buy First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Axe. Our records indicate that your claim has been resolved. Thanks, Shanee.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I can't thank you enough for such quick service! Noted the filter burned out & replaced within a couple days. Both technicians very knowledgable & quickly in/out during their visit. Pool is working fine since. Thank you for assisting so quickly.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Sue for your review, we appreciate it!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My wife was using First American Home Warranty when I married her and we’ve been with the company for about 10 years now. It’s very easy to get my work orders done online and the contractors are always very fast to respond. I’ve been very happy with the people that have come out so far and the work that they do are always top-notch. Plus, First American's website is very user-friendly. Navigating it is easy. I'd tell my friends to definitely sign up right away. First American would save them a lot of money.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Andrew for your review, we appreciate it!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I've done the online claim with First American and I prefer that over the call in method. Online they give me nine options and I'm like, "Oh, crap which one?" And then I had to go back. It's a pain. But when I do it online they automatically schedule me an appointment within 48 hours. There was a time I had to go back and resubmit a claim. So the issue wasn't resolved. But their technicians have all been great. They're professional and they explain what they're doing. They take care of what they need to take care of quickly and they are accommodating to our schedule. The actual work that they've done has been good quality work.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Jonathan for your review!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I owned a home and lived in California prior to settling in Arizona and it had a First American Home Warranty and they’ve been really good to me. They’ve had great referrals and they usually make the repairs within three days and finish the job. But since moving to Arizona, their referrals have been questionable. This one plumber had to come back and forth, in and out of the house, four times. He didn’t fix the problem the first time, then he came back and replaced the hardware and he didn’t fix the problem. Then he had to come back the third time to set the hose in the back side of the toilet and then he came back the fourth time and he actually replaced the whole part. It took him four days to finish the job fully.

I complained about the plumber and suggested that they look for at least average-quality vendor to come and repair. I was concerned because I asked him if he was licensed and he said that he wasn’t and that he learned the trade from his brother. That explains why he had to come in several times. The last repair that I called was regarding my dryer and the contractor came in to look at the dryer. They said that they would have to order a part but it took about two weeks for them to receive the part. But other than those, First American has been great and the past repairs have been above average. I am very satisfied and loyal to their service because they’ve been really good for me.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Lousie for the review. We look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My experience with this company was the worst! I would say please save your money because when it comes to an emergency like sewage being backed up into your Home they will NOT have anyone out there within a reasonable time frame and when you call a plumber yourself the same day after they said they couldn’t find a contractor to come out there that day they will not refund your money in a urgent issue like this! I never like to write bad reviews but please save your money and chose a different home warranty! These people are not helpful and they rather take your money than put money out to help you when you are in need! Total scam company!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Fixing the valves for the washer - The plumbing job given to the earlier company did not turn up. But Platinum Plumbing Sewer did the job soon. Plumbing company did a good job up to our expectations. I can recommend this company and First American Home Warranty. I had my primary residence covered by them for several years.

First American Home Warranty response

We appreciate your review Gigi!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Fridge defrost not working. First American set up the appointment and it took 2 days for the technician to come to my home. I was good with this since I have an extra fridge in the garage. Technician was in my home about an hour and fixed the problem. I received emails and texts multiple times knowing when the technician was going to arrive. I try to sell First American to most people I talk to. I know I have had at least 14 friends and family sign up for their warranty service. I have been a First American client for 8+ years and have never had an issue with a claim. A+ service!

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Mark for your review!

First American Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

First American Home Warranty was founded in 1984. The company is part of the First American family of businesses, which have a long history of financial stability. The company offers different coverage plans depending on the home’s location. Consumers can see details and get quotes online.

• Extensive coverage: The basic policy offered by First American Home Warranty includes a full list of systems and appliances, many of which are typically only covered with an enhanced home warranty policy.

• High coverage limits: First American Home Warranty has high limits for most repairs and replacements, so expensive items are fully covered. The company pays up to $250 for fixing code violations and obtaining permits.

• Claims hours: Service requests can be made 24 hours per day, seven days per week by phone and online; service requests are generally filled within 48 hours.

• Unlimited calls: First American Home Warranty does not limit the number of service requests a customer can make during their warranty period.

• Service providers: First American Home Warranty screens all service providers before hiring them to make repairs in consumers’ homes. They also monitor customer satisfaction with service providers' performance.

• Best for: homebuyers, real estate agents and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First American Home Warranty Company Information