Call toll free
3.65/5
Based on 1,251 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
BBBB Rating
View More View More

5390 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My experience with First American Home Warranty has been great. Their customer service is always top notch. The contractors they send out are outstanding, pleasant, helpful, professional & knowledgeable. They have their act together. Great value & a great company!!! I highly recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

After moving into our new home, we tried using the freestanding tub. It leaked water from the bottom of the tub. Most likely the connection under the tub. Called First American. They sent a plumber who turned the water on and confirmed the leak. He informed me that he could not fix it without me paying to have the freestanding tub moved and replaced by them. This is not covered under the home warranty. I called First American who said they only fix unobstructed plumbing. The plumbing is the freestanding tub!! It is not obstructed. There is not cutting into a wall, floor or ceiling!! It is fixing the connection of pipes to the tub that stick out of the floor. Waiting to be connected to a supervisor to put a new spin on their coverage. SCAM!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is the worst service experience of my life. They were unable to accommodate a working woman's schedule. They expect customers to sit at home and wait for service providers for a 6 hour window. The customer service representatives are sexist, discriminatory, and tried to blame me for their incompetence because I as a single working woman should have someone available to sit at home for a 6 hour period of time during a weekday to accommodate their schedules. They made blatant misrepresentations over the telephone regarding service calls and complaints I had made to the company. They refused to send me to customer relations. The worst kind of company. They just don't want to work, fix appliances, and don't want to pay for the cost when you have to get someone else to fix the washer. Their incompetence has essentially constructively evicted me from my home.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Worst company. Run. Run far away. They will steal your money and will never care for you as customer. All lies and deceiving tactics to get you Screw over and over. You better off hiring handyman than going with First American homeowner warranty. They are First Crap company. They work with ** Sears. Scheduled 6 appointments and none of the tech came to home.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I've made hours worth of phone calls, several attempts to chat with a solution focused representative, and have had no luck. Made efforts to resolve with supervisors, that was even worse! I was offered only 1 appointment for a tech to come repair my washer/dryer, and when I requested another tune slot, or other tech company, I was told it's my responsibility to make myself available to their schedule, with no option for another time. I've made numerous attempts to resolve, and have been hung up on, left on hold for altogether hours, and have been told these are actual supervisors acting like this. Now I checked online to see my service status... And somehow, my service has been flagged as "Completed" but that's impossible! I've never had an appointment scheduled, not had anyone fixed my machines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

During the first year of purchasing our home, we filed a claim with First American Home Warranty (First Am) for our HVAC unit that stopped working. It was January, we had a newborn, and it was freezing! They sent a subpar contractor out who had to make several house calls to assess the issue properly. Once the part was ordered and installed, it failed within 2 days. They came back with a supervisor and assessed the same problem, ordered the same part, and subsequently installed. It failed again. After several calls, and hours combined of waiting on hold with First Am, we spoke to someone and demanded a different contractor come out.

Long story short... 3 years later, 4 different contractors, and the same problem with our HVAC, we are exhausted with dealing with this company. Tirelessly we have made calls, waited on calls, and been without heat. The last 2 contractors have recommended for a replacement unit, but by the instruction of First Am, they instead just replace the very same part. A part that fails at any sign of cold weather. Not only do we go without heat for days at a time - due to the inability to send a contractor over in a reasonable amount of time - but our HVAC system runs on Emergency Heat and our bill is triple what it should be. First Am is a company built on negligence, poor customer service, and poor ethics. If buying a home, steer real clear from First American Home Warranty.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was told today at noon by Pedro from First American Warranty that my total out of pocket costs would be $455 for and new Dual pack because I had purchased the best warranty and the upgrades. The AC company is now telling me it will be $2500 out of pocket and that the warranty company gave him that price!! I have been on hold with Felicia for the last 37 minutes from First American while she looks into it and the hold line is complete silence... Wonder if she sent me into dead space or something... So far I am not happy... I am hoping this gets resolved and that Pedro honors his quote. He said the line was a recorded line and I asked him twice about the out of pocket costs to verify that. They need to listen to their recording to know what their employee told me and they need to honor it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have had FAHW for the last 14 years on 2 different houses. For several years they were excellent and I recommended them to everyone that was in the market for a home warranty. Unfortunately they have gone downhill over the last 2 years. The contractors they send out now are marginal at best. The previous contractors will no longer do business with them saying that they are too hard to work with and want to shortcut repairs.

They look for ways to deny claims. They have a 30 warranty on repairs, meaning that if you have the same exact problem in 31 days, you will pay AGAIN for the repair. Their customer service is a call center in India and no one speaks English coherently. I have finally canceled them and gone to another higher rated warranty company with better coverage.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This company is a fraud and is not worth dealing with. We have had coverage for a year and the first time we tried to file a claim was an absolute disaster. We have 5 people in our house and my wife just had major back surgery this past Friday. Today, Tuesday the water shutoff valve split in two, literally split in two and I have the ball from the ball valve in my hand. Since the shutoff valve is on the other side of the water meter, guess what...yep! My problem. So we have no water to the house and noticed this around 3:00 pm.

We called this company to help resolve the issue and explained the seriousness of our situation, which was a complete waste of my breath, but I was told this would be an emergency and be handled in 8 hrs. I explained that since it was late in the afternoon, I was worried about this being pushed into tomorrow and was told it would be handled in less than 8 hrs due to the emergency and they understood. What a complete pile of, for lack of a better term, hot air. A company was dispatched only to call us 15 mins later saying they would not be able to complete the service call for 24 hrs. They could complete the service tomorrow (Wed between 12 pm - 6 pm). I explained what was going on and the company told me I had to call the Warranty company back.

So I called First American Home Warranty back and was met with indefinite holds, being cut off, hung up on, transferred to the wrong department, and when I finally got in touch with someone they were rude and only stated the company policy was a 24 hr turn around time and then they hung up. I can understand not having running water to your kitchen sink for 24 hrs due to a busted pipe, or a toilet that will not work for a day, but 24 hrs without water to your entire house especially with someone who has just had major surgery is a little absurd, just a little! Like I mentioned, every, literally every attempt to escalate this was met with indefinite holds, being cut off, hung up on, transferred to the wrong department, and when I finally got in touch with someone they were rude and only stated the company policy was a 24 hr turn around time.

I finally reached a supervisor by the name of Rick who said he would look into it and call me within two hours, so hoping to hear something by 6 pm to get a company dispatched to fix a broken water main... HA! I think I would have better luck getting ice water in hell. I was hoping for a better experience and understanding but this is the exact impression I have had about these types of organizations and this experience proves this service is a complete fraud. As ironic as it might sound, our policy expires tomorrow and I was ACTUALLY thinking of renewing. NO WAY, not even if the service was free!!!

This is a company that needs to invest in customer service and modifying its response times according to specific situations. I have no idea how this company is in business today but even an idiot like me could run a better organization. Leaving a household without water for 24 hrs is completely unacceptable, especially considering our circumstances. I now have to contact a 3rd party at my own expense to fix an issue I paid this company to handle. I only gave this review 1 star because that is the lowest I could go. This organization does not even deserve 1 star. I have never in my life dealt with a more rude set of employees and a company that does value its clients. Do not invest in this company unless you have nothing but time and money to waste.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We moved into a home and it came with a warranty from FAHW. It made us feel much better as the home is 20 years old. Not long after we moved in the hot water started depleting. I paid the $75 fee and scheduled a "Professional" to come evaluate the problem. A week after the appointment the plumber called and said the water heater elements were covered and didn't know why but they could replace the unit for $1600!

After no word from FAHW for a few more days I send an inquiry online only to get a response that the plumber says the unit failed due to a power surge. The control board was fine and one of the three elements was still good. There is no sign of electrical overload anywhere in or on the unit. These warranties cover things in your home that require electricity. Any part that fails could be blamed on a power surge. That's a nice technicality that can be used any time to cut costs for actually providing the services they sell. It's a scam! Save your $500 to $600 plus and put an additional $75 in your account 2 or 3 times a year. Then you will have the money available for a quality repair contractor or a new appliance when it goes down.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have tried to use them twice. Each experience was not customer friendly and proved useless. The plumber they sent was unqualified and wanted to charge me triple what I ended up paying from an outside service. I have yet to get a service person to my house for my oven problem. The first service call was scheduled between 10:00 and 2:00, the service person did not call until 2:00 and stated that he could not be there for another two hours. This was not going to work. So he was able to schedule me for a Saturday afternoon. He canceled that due to weather.

When I called back to reschedule, they informed me there were no Saturday hours and I would have to reschedule during the week. I do not get paid when I don't work, so actually it would cost me more to get this stupid insurance company to take care of my needs than go to an outside service. Their customer service 800 number is useless and the people are hard to understand. The person on the phone kept using the pronoun "Miss" rather than my last name or my first name. Unacceptable and very biased. This company needs to step up to the plate. I am about ready to call the BBB.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

This company is a joke! Had issues with my pool filter, they send a tech out after waiting almost 2 weeks! Tech comes out and states we need new media cartridges and a new PSI gauge up top. Long story short, they deny the cartridges but approves the PSI gauge. Their service provider never comes back to fix the leak on the PSI gauge. So I let it go think well the gauge is a $30 fix, at least they are not charging me the $75. HA! Here comes the bill for $75.00. I call them up and explain that they had not completed the job, no fix to the situation. Next I get a bill that is now going to my collections, I call back in, mind you this is already 3 months after the fact. I speak to a manager, he reviews my account and apologizes as he can see this was a mistake on their part. He said, "I'm going to waive the $75 fee and get the service provider out there to complete the job that should have been completed 3 months ago."

Tech from the same service provider comes out and says, "Yep, Needs to be replaced. I'll let them know." Two weeks go by still no word, Call in today and apparently they denied the claim (which was already approved in OCT 18, but work never got done) because it looks as if I tried to repair the gauge myself by taking a torch to it and melting the plastic, seriously?? Bunch of crooks. I sprayed Flex Seal on it to try to maintain the leak that THEIR service provider that THEY sent out NEVER fixed!! I guess in their world you leave it broken until they are good and ready to come out and fix it. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company!!!

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Jordan. We sincerely apologize for any delays or inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your claim. At this time, we are aware that you have been contacted and a resolution has been attained. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

The home warranty I purchased said they would replace or repair any of the covered appliances in my home. That included my hot water tank. If something broke they would repair or replace for $75.00. When my hot water tank started to leak I contacted them. They sent a company out and the quote was $1,800 out of MY POCKET.

I called and they said that they could send me $400 and I could fix it myself. That doesn't even cover the cost of a new tank, let alone to have it installed. The contractor said they had to replace "everything", all the plumbing that comes out of the wall, the vent, even the stand it's sitting on. The warranty apparently only covers the tank and sitting the tank on the stand...nothing else. I did some research and Lowe's quoted me $1,100 and that includes the tank, labor, parts, delivery, permits, and they will haul away the old tank. It sounds to me like the contractor they hired and FAHW are both crooked. Don't do it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I telephoned today to follow up about a request to receive service for a broken dryer. I was told verbally that my request was denied because I had an unpaid service fee. The company promised to reimburse me for the service fee I paid when no one came to service my washer and dryer. The company scheduled several visits with Sears. AFTER several no shows, I was asked to pay one additional time and told I would be reimbursed. I paid as requested. No reimbursement. I continue to pay the monthly contract fee for the warranty but I am unable to get my dryer serviced. Every request takes months to resolve and the customer service agents are unprofessional. Today, February 7th, the agent yelled at me and even hung up/disconnected the call when I asked her to refrain from treating me in such a way. I am sadden by the misconduct. My call was placed at approximately 5:15 in the evening. This behavior is unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Two weeks ago we contacted First American in regards to fixing our dryer and it was on a Sunday. We set it up online and got a confirmation email that Sears would be out at our home Monday between 10-2. I took the day off and Sears did not come. I called back into First American to tell them Sears never came. They contacted Sears and Sears stated that they supposedly came to my house but no one answered (completely false. I was at the door). First American then said the next appointment I can get is Friday between 8-12. I questioned them as to why I would be penalized since Sears never came and I was at home. They had no answers.

So I had the day off on Friday and I again waited all morning for Sears to come and fix my dryer. I thought something was funny because it was 11:30 and no one was at my property. I then gave First American a call to see why Sears didn’t show up in the time span they have given me. First American contacted Sears and they said I was still on for the appointment but the contractor was running late and not picking up the phone. I was informed to call back in an hour if Sears didn’t come. Well guess what? Sears never came.

I called First American and spoke to a customer service rep and she stated that I never had an appointment. I was so confused because it didn’t make any sense. One rep said I was on for my appointment and the other said I never had an appointment. I personally called Sears and they said my appointment was cancelled but couldnt state who cancelled my appointment. I was so frustrated with the entire process I didn’t know what to do. First American then stated that they would have to set me up with a different contractor due to no one coming to my property for a week.

Four days went by and no one contacted me. My husband called First American yesterday and the customer service rep said I would have an appointment the following Monday with General Electric but they couldn’t give me a time for the appointment. I told my husband to give General Electric a call today to see if we were in their schedule and when we called them they were unaware of us needing any appointment and this is due to having any information on us. We contacted First American again and finally got a real appointment set up and confirmed it with General Electric. There is a complete lack of communication and customer service. They have not tried to reach out or resolve the issues that have gone on. I have been with them for many years but this is no way to treat their customers. I believe I will be cancelling and not recommending them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had this guys as my home warranty company for a few years - they kept renewing my contract without notice. Almost every vendor that came out was dishonest and not rated very highly anywhere else. The final issue was my AC unit. After them continuing to deny the claim I had to escalate it to someone for approval. After my tenant being without AC for days in Arizona they finally had a contractor come out. This contractor was rude, left debris, and failed to fully complete the job - they left a hole on the roof where the transition goes. Once we caught this, had it confirmed with another company their vendor refused to make the issue right and First AM failed to make it right as well. I wouldn't let them send a vendor to my house ever again, it makes me question all of the warranty work that was ever done on the house.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

The beginning of December 2018 we started having problems with our heater. It was the first time using our heater for the winter months as we had just moved into our house in June. We contacted our home warranty company First American and stated that our heater would turn on and about 2-3 min later would shut off automatically without ever warming up the house. They notified us that they would get a repair company to look at it. A few days later the repair company sent to us was Platinum Repair. The technician that looked at it said there was nothing wrong with the heater that it was the filter and that it was dirty and needed to be replaced. He messed with a few things and the heater came on and we were good for three days.

The heater then started doing the same thing again. I called First American again and filed another claim stating we were having the same problem. They again sent out the same repair company Platinum Repair. In the meantime while we waited for Platinum Repair to come because it was going to be a few days we decided to get a second opinion on our own and have a heater company come look at our equipment. Nothing was touched and our second opinion said we needed a new control board that it had a short and was going out.

A few days later the technician from Platinum Repair came and looked at the heater again and said it is working there is nothing wrong with it and then it shut off on him. Once he said there was nothing wrong with it I should of went with my gut and said these people don't know what the hell they are doing. Against my better judgment I gave them the chance and he continued to look into it and finally stated we needed a new board and valve that he would order the parts that it could take a few days that was on towards the end of December.

It is now January 2nd and we still have not received a call about the parts so I took it upon myself to call them. They stated they got the parts in on the 29th but because of the holidays they were going to call me on the 4th. THE 4th WHY WAIT A WHOLE WEEK!!! The following week a technician comes out which it was not the same technician that came out and stated the problem was the board and valve and ordered the parts it was a new one. While being there he replaced just the valve and turned on the heater and left. I was not home at the time with this technician as I had to work I had already missed time for this so my family member was there. She called me after the technician left and said he only replaced one part not both and stated that it seemed to working okay so far.

I called Platinum Repair right away and explained the issue of having two parts ordered per there technician and only one part being replaced and the representative stated "the heater is working isn't it? So what’s the problem." I proceeded to explain the problem was two parts were ordered and only one being the valve was replaced. She again said "it's working I don't see why you are complaining, call us if it is not working". I immediately called First American and notified them of the issue and the person I had talked to said no both parts needed to be replaced that he would contact Platinum Repair.

Later that same night my family of 8, ranging in age of kids from 16 mths to 13yrs old were all asleep. I heard a loud bang which I thought might of been the baby climbing out of the crib or one of the kids falling off the top bunk and proceeded to go down the hallway to check when our furnace door flew open with a big ball of smoke. I yelled for my husband who immediately turned off the thermostat for the heater.

I called First American that next morning explaining what happened and that all the pressure caused the door to fly open and cracked the framing a little right above the door which is right by the baby and my youngest child's bedroom. They responded they would get the technician back out there immediately. Suddenly Platinum Repairs schedule was wide open and they were able to come right away. The same technician that came and replaced just the valve looked at the heater and said it is no good, we would need a new one and also took pictures of the door frame and the crack.

We are now in February and I get contacted by First American that they are replacing the heater but we would have to pay $2100 out of pocket to the repair company for the modifications. I explained we should not have to pay a dime for if this was repaired correctly the first time it would not have had this problem and that we had notified them of each time what the technician did and didn't do and how unprofessional the people are that they contract out with. We got an estimate of what it would cost to replace the heater from an outside company and they said about $1500-$1700.

I waited to hear back from First American and they stated they would give us a cashout if we wanted due to all the problems we have had with Platinum Repair but it would be for $350.00. I DON'T THINK SO. Between these two companies and their unprofessionalism, screw ups and lack of consideration and lives of families we shouldn't have to pay **. I can guarantee if one of their employees was having the same problems all would be covered better yet it would not have even gotten this far.

I'm expecting a better outcome within the next few days from one of these two companies maybe working together that they can come up with something in giving us a new heater. This should be at their expense because had I not woke up and got down to the heater when it blew the fire would of hit my two youngest kids and let me guess they would of stated they don't cover that they can only give me $350.00. It's **. Get your heads out of your ** First American and step up and fix the problem you guys started by sending Platinum Repair and if that means you have to take on all the costs that is your problem you should of had them fix the problem in the first place. I will be going to the News stations, the better business bureau and a class action law if needed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I'm writing to warn others about this company. I had filed a claim for service two months ago and paid for my services upfront with credit cards. After a poor experience the charges were reversed. And then the bills started coming... I figured this was a clerical error and it would be reversed. When the last letter came, it threatened to send me to collections. This threatening letter gave no detail regarding the charges. Further, when calling I was simply told my "service fee was due", and they were unwilling to send me a report on the charges. Again, I paid upfront. Had a poor experience and the charges were refunded. What is sad is that I thought the company was legitimately trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately, this isn't turning out to be the case.

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your review. According to our telephone conversation, your $75.00 service call fee has been satisfied.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I'm a Realtor and we use First American exclusively. We went with them because the boss uses First American and knows the people personally in the San Diego area. So far, I had a good experience submitting claims. I always do it online and everything seems to be fine. Usually, it takes two or three times checking the parts and diagnosing the problem, ordering the part, coming out, putting them in, and then having to come back with another part. But that would happen any time you try to fix small appliances. Also, it would be helpful if the technicians sent out are able to speak English.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Marsha for your feedback. We appreciate it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We were recommended to use this warranty service when we bought our house. We have had several issues with different problems they are supposed to cover. On three separate occasions I have had to fight to get them to actually service things that are covered. They drag the process make false claims and send inadequate service techs and repair estimators. Our refrigerator went out and they took 27 days to repair it. Along with countless phone calls and service requests. Our roof leaked and they said it was due to another company and they refused to service it. It seems their game is, if they make it hard enough to get service you will go elsewhere or opt to pay for service out of your product. They do not provide the warranty service they promise. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I would give these guys a negative 5 star rating if I could. Been a customer for 10 + years and in my first home years back they replaced things and had reputable techs and good customer service. They replaced a water heater, garage spring, dishwasher and serviced the AC issues as I had an older unit. Times have changed!!! NOW they make you wait forever to do anything hoping you will pay to fix it yourself... Or pass the buck and state they will pay for the item but none of the labor and "cost to bring things up to code" so they can overcharge to cover their costs.

For the last 2 issues we had a "second opinion" company come out to quote us and they stated it would be way less than what First Am was stating and they were supposed to be warranting the home and the items in it... We even have the top tier coverage policy. None of their people are in the US and you cannot get anyone who cares. The companies they use are idiots or have techs who say they are terrible to work with and feel bad for us the clients. I even had one refer out the work to a friend of his who was licensed that would give us a better deal. I have been in the mortgage business for 20 years and have never seen a company go downhill so fast. If you want a good Warranty company use Landmark!!! My customers rave about them!

Hello Colleen,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during the handling of your water heater claim. Our records indicate you accepted the cash payment in lieu of the water heater replacement. Please be advised, you will receive your check in seven to ten days. First American considers your claim closed.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Customer service is the worst. We had a light switch that went out and since it was an upgraded switch that the builder installed it was not covered. The light switch was $40 compared to a standard switch at $5 and we told First American we would be fine with the $5 switch and they refused to install it. We had a toilet leak in another house and the repairman they sent out looked like he had been sleeping in his car with all his tools. Just check out all the negative reviews on Yelp and it is hard to understand that this company is still in business, let alone have an positive reviews.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

This warranty is totally worthless. Don't waste your money, time, and energy; it's useless even to consider recommending or researching it. Here is why: I got a one-year complimentary warranty at the recommendation of the broker and cost of the seller. I was pleased to hear about it because I would get one year's worth of peace without paying anything.

My agent even got the costlier coverage, or so it seemed, at least on paper. However, for every service I would call, they would charge me $75 (which was on contract and acceptable if they did the job), but each time the plumber or the handyman found a way to add a stupid point or something in the report to say that this was not covered. Pressure regulator not covered because the plumber's machine shows barely enough pressure but not good enough for my second story bathrooms. Shower head and arm repairs not done because they were "broken." Toilet tanks repairs not covered because they were faulty type or something. They always found an excuse not to cover the repair or replacement although each is/was listed as covered item on the contract. Each time, I had to have a separate handyman or plumber do the job and pay full price out of my pocket.

Each time calling this company for service was just a waste of $75 and time and energy and peace. Sometimes, the people at the FAHW may sound like nice but the workers they send (usu. from Cal Home) are neither reasonable nor understanding. Sometimes, they don't even know what a regular handyman next door can fix for $25/hour. I regret letting my agent buy it for me and my own wasting of a couple hundred dollars in service charge for absolutely nothing. Well, for frustration and wasted energy and further requests to review/reconsider to cover the needed repairs, etc. I wonder why this business is allowed to exist/operate. I began reading reviews of Cal Home plumbing and each has the same experience. This is not worth one's time, money, or patience.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I've been having a good experience with First American Home Warranty. Thus far, I've had parts replaced on my washer and though it took quite a while for me to get rescheduled and to have the work done, I had no problems other than that. The contractor who came was Sears and when they first got to my home, they did not have the part needed. They ordered it and it came to my home. Thereafter, I had to reschedule or deal with the original appointment that the tech made to come back. He said I may be able to call and reschedule the appointment quicker but I was unable to do that. So, it was about three weeks before he could actually get back to replace the part. Nevertheless, the techs First American sends as well as their professionalism has been fine.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Mark for your review. We look forward to servicing you in the future!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have a home warranty. First American warranty. They have assigned a heating and air company to come out and serve my account. After looking up the company I see multiple reviews that suggest that the owner of the heating and air company is violent, vulgar, and uncooperative with the community. I called the warranty company and requested a new heating and air company to come over and service my home. I dont want a vulgar violent man coming to my home. The operator was rude to me. She said that they can't change the company based on reviews. I've been on the phone now with First American Warranty for 36 min. I asked for a supervise and I'm holding now. I think that they hung up on me. They have my number I wonder if they will call me back?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My kitchen sink blew up. The plumbing company that FAHW sent my claim to only worked M-F, 9-5, meaning I would have to take a day off work. This puts a severe strain on my financial situation, so I wanted to see if they could make an allowance for using a different contractor. Day after day of waiting on hold, up to 1.5 hours(!), got me nowhere. When I finally got to speak to a human, he was completely disrespectful. I can't say for sure he hung up on me, but based on the respect I was given up to that point, I would not be surprised. My advice: go elsewhere for home insurance.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We bought a home back in '86 and our realtor offered that we have a warranty program that we could apply to the home. First American would cover all the appliances and the equipment of the home. I only had to pay a small deductible and problems would be fixed. More recently, I bought another older home and I subscribed to First American once again. If one of my appliances, the electricals or the plumbing breaks down, I call them up and tell them that I'd like to file a claim. Then, their reps tell me within 24 hours who is coming. They also let me know my deductible.

While their claims process has been very good, one thing that concerns me is that sometimes their system automatically selects a contractor. At times, I feel bad for the contractor if he’s two or three hours away from where I’m at. There were two contractors in the past who asked me if I knew where they were coming from and told me that they were two and a half hours away. I know First American can pull from a more local pool so I ask them to send me someone who is more local.

When I get a contractor who has come to repair the same problem and I request First American to send that contractor back, their reps would look at their system and send the same tech. I have a rapport with him and he’s within 45 minutes away or less, which is fine. I would always recommend First American no matter what. I always hear from other warranty companies and FAHW is a little better. I have 3 policies with them and with having three policies, I get a multi-policy discount, so that’s another plus.

First American Home Warranty response

Hi Anthony. Thank you for the review and feedback. We appreciate your time and suggestions.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Microwave oven repair - This is my 3rd year with this company for my rental property. I've paid $500 each year, $75 service call fees 3 times. Twice for the same problem, didn't get fixed. I was told my microwave turntable wheel was abused and plate broken because of it. My tenant said the wheel stuck and heat caused the plate to break. Either way, the cost to replace is $150 but now I've spent $75 for service call and they won't repair or replace. It's been 10 days, no report or photos from tech and if I had not reached out, I'd know nothing. He went there to fix, did nothing and never sent a report. I'll just do without the insurance from now on. They will do anything to not fix a problem.

Hello Pam,

Our records indicate the microwave turntable glass tray was broken and the grill was cracked. Please be advised, removable trays are not covered per your home warranty contract under Microwave Oven, Not Covered. In addition, the grill has no mechanical function therefore, it is considered to be cosmetic. Please be advised, cosmetic defects are not covered. You may refer to your home warranty contract under Limits of Liability, Number Three. First American considers this claim closed.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Here is my most amazing experience with First American Home Warranty July 2018 - Service Request # **. I purchased a warranty to obtain a little peace of mind when I bought a house. Within 6 weeks, the downstairs air conditioning unit stopped working. No problem, I submitted a claim to FA and a contractor was dispatched. The contractor decided that the coil was the issue, now I know a little bit about these units and suggested that the compressor was also at fault, given the noise it was making. However, the contractor decided to cheap out and opted for just the coil. Despite being covered by the warranty, FA were able to nickle and dime me for everything that wasn't covered, leaving me with a larger than expected bill for "out of pocket costs."

July 2018. After working for 3 days, the AC failed to work. This time, another contractor came over and confirmed that the compressor was also at fault. No ** Sherlock. July - end of August 2018. Many technicians came and went, my phone calls to FA become more and more irate, as the new company "Preferred AC" (not sure who they were preferred by, but certainly not anyone who has air conditioning. These idiots would have a problem figuring out a one piece jigsaw puzzle. Eventually, the unit was fixed, despite the best efforts of FA and (not) Preferred AC, with plenty more "out of pocket" expenses. Luckily, it being Texas in August, the temperature only reached 100 once... once every day.

January 2019 Service Request #**. It was therefore with some trepidation that I had to request another service call for another AC unit, but it seems like FA and their poor choice of contractors didn't fail to amaze. Initially, I heard nothing back for 3 days, so I left them a message: Me: "Any news on finding someone to come and have a look at this?"

Their reply: "...I reviewed your claim and confirmed a tech was not assigned. After further review, I found the claim was not submitted correctly and First American was unaware there was an issue until you sent this web message..." Eventually, a date was arrange, so after taking half a day off work to wait for the contractor, I finally called "On the Horizon HVAC" after the contractor failed to turn up. Apparently, he had just had an accident and would have to cancel the appointment. One rescheduled for today, they wanted another 4 hour window, which involved another half day off work. After waiting over 4 hours, I was just about to give up, then I did. Called FA, who told me that the tech was running late, but by then it was too ** late.

First American Home Warranty like to use the following business model: 1. Take your money (the most important bit). 2. Scout out the worst, most inept companies to "service" customers. 3. Cheap out on any repairs, noting that saving a dollar here usually results in a $10 cost further down the line and a whole lot more aggravation for the customer, but hell, you've got their money. 4. Nickle and dime customers for "out of pocket repairs".

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My tenant reported a water leak in my property on the night of 11/15/2018. We called First American on 11/16/18 multiple times and escalated the issue as the tenant had to shut water off for the entire house. First American was not able to find a plumber that day or issue a pre-authorization, and we had to find an emergency plumber to fix it ourselves. As we were trying to follow up on the claim over the weekend, their contractor relations and claim resolution departments were basically not available. We then filed a request to get reimbursed for the part of the cost to fix the water leak and got rejected.

I called on 2/4/2019 to get an explanation for the reimbursement request and was put on hold for 25 mins. I called again and the reason they gave me was there is not enough details on the claim about the damage and we didn't have pre-authorization. I know for sure my property manager and I called multiple times on Friday 11/16 and provided as much information as we could to escalate this issue, and we never got a response from First American on Friday and over the weekend as promised. Plus the pre-authorization would only have come way too late. Is this a game they play? I am very very disappointed with First American Home Warranty. For the emergency we had, they definitely failed to serve their customer.

First American Home Warranty expert review by Michele Lerner

First American Home Warranty was founded in 1984. The company is part of the First American family of businesses, which have a long history of financial stability. The company offers different coverage plans depending on the home’s location. Consumers can see details and get quotes online.

• Extensive coverage: The basic policy offered by First American Home Warranty includes a full list of systems and appliances, many of which are typically only covered with an enhanced home warranty policy.

• High coverage limits: First American Home Warranty has high limits for most repairs and replacements, so expensive items are fully covered. The company pays up to $250 for fixing code violations and obtaining permits.

• Claims hours: Service requests can be made 24 hours per day, seven days per week by phone and online; service requests are generally filled within 48 hours.

• Unlimited calls: First American Home Warranty does not limit the number of service requests a customer can make during their warranty period.

• Service providers: First American Home Warranty screens all service providers before hiring them to make repairs in consumers’ homes. They also monitor customer satisfaction with service providers' performance.

• Best for: homebuyers, real estate agents and owners of older homes.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

First American Home Warranty Company Information