3.72/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

3762 First American Home Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Our real estate agent bought us First American's first-year policy when we bought our home and I renewed it last August before it expired. And I'm glad I did that because my vacuum system went out and that was a $450 bill. Although the issue wasn't critical, the mechanic still came out within a couple of days and repaired it. He was very cordial and he told me the motor was burned out. Coincidentally, the company that First American worked with is a representative of the manufacturer of my vacuum cleaner so the mechanic had the motor in his truck. That was easy 'cause I didn't have to order it. He replaced the motor, cleaned things up and did a little extra.

I had another incident last year too with the furnace and it wasn't that big of a deal, but it was covered under the policy. After that, I moved into the house and there was some minor malfunction where there was a loose wire somewhere and the technician just tightened it up so that was easy. First American got the work done and it's been all good. We live in Bend, Oregon which is not in a major metropolitan area and not a heavily populated area, but First American seems to have covered well their connections with the right contractors so they get the job done. I've recommended them to a friend and he bought the policy a month.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

When I bought my home, the previous owner had put First American Home Buyers Protection on it and I kept it ever since. Submitting a claim was easy. I just called in to tell them my problem, and a couple of days later, it was handled. The reps were very nice. The technician had made an appointment but then something came up so he ended up coming a couple days later. But he did a good job once he got here. Whenever I call in a claim, First American gets right on it. They don't waste any time trying to take care of it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I initiated a service request, but the contractor provided could not perform the work in a timely manner. I first called in to get a quicker turn time with another contractor, or use an outside vendor. It took 45 min before reaching someone. The representative first seemed very helpful and promised she would be following up with me in about 30-45 minutes. I never received a callback and reached out again. After another 30 min wait the 2nd representative said he couldn't do anything to help and I must have gotten misinformation from the last person. I asked if there were other options or a manager to speak with to help as the 1st rep told me we would be doing when she called me back, but instead he just repeated there was nothing to do and no one he could transfer me to.

Having to wait 5 calendar days for someone to come out to the home to work on repairs that are immediate are bad enough, but having to spend hours on the phone to get little to know help from customer service only makes it worse. I work in real estate and will not purchase myself or refer any clients to use AHW again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My experience with First American has been great. I’m fine with their services. I've filed a claim for my stove, and the technician they sent came back the next day and fixed it. He had to get a part, so it was pretty fast. He was professional.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

First American is good. They do what they say and they try to help you with your problem. We’ve been satisfied with them. We’ve filed a claim for a water heater, plumbing, garbage disposal and the garage door opener. The technician took a long, long time before he did the garage door opener and First American gave us somebody else to fix it. The technicians are usually pretty busy, so sometimes it takes a little bit of time. But they've been good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Since I bought my home, I had several problems with this company. They always send the worst contractors in the world but this last claim about my air conditioning system was the worst response I ever had from First American and that lousy contractor that they sent over. All they needed was to replace a fan motor in my unit that never worked and despite calling back for a complaint, First American never hold responsible. Today, I hired another contractor that will be paid from my own pocket. They told me that that lousy company used by the warranty company installed that motor really bad and might caused a major electrical damage or accident. Now it is time to renewal for that warranty and I honestly say: I will never used this warranty company in my life again!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have had this warranty for years for my house in Hephzibah, GA. I filed a claim for my refrigerator that wouldn't cool or freeze and it took them 43 days to finally put a band-aid on the problem. They charged the system and guess what 3 weeks later it goes out again but according to their records it was fixed over 30 days ago which it wasn't so now I have to pay another deductible. I had to rent a fridge for a month while I was waiting 43 days for mine to be fixed and when I asked about reimbursement they told me no because I was supposed to get an authorization first. I guess not having a fridge is totally acceptable even though I called the company daily to ask what my status of a contractor was.

Fast forward to today 11/9/2017 and my fridge is still broke because the contractor couldn't leave a message like a professional. I suggest you spend your money elsewhere. I'm just waiting for this contract to expire so I can go to Home Warranty of America like I have for my other houses. I don't know who they pick for their contractors but they're not professionals at all. One of the contractors stopped returning phone calls to me and to the company but when my fridge broke again they tried to refer me to him again. When my water heater went out the guy they sent was extremely rude but this won't change the way this company does business. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND FIND A BETTER WARRANTY COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I bought a house and the previous owner had First American. He said, “It’s paid for, and it’s good for so many more months, and you’re welcome to it.” So I took it and I’ve been with First American for about 17 years and I never had any problem with them at all. They’ve always been very good, very quick and had proper people to come to the house. I usually submit my claim over the phone. They would ask me what I needed and how I wanted it to be done. And they would give me my claim number. They’d also give me the name and telephone number of the person that should be contacted.

The last claim that I had was for the garage door, and the contractor came very quickly and told me what was wrong with it, what would take to fix it and what he was able to do and what he could not do. The contractors have been good except for one and I talked to them about it and they refunded my money from him. In 17 years, that’s pretty good to have just one bad experience. They’re very helpful and professional.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

First American is very reliable and we’ve kept them for 18 years now. It's fairly easy to submit a claim with them. We do a simple phone call usually and the representatives are very nice and helpful. The technicians are mostly helpful as well. I don't think we had a bad one who came. The only thing is that their rate goes up. When we first got the warranty, it was either $35 or $50. Now, it’s nearly double. But we still think it’s a fair bargain. Our daughter has a home warranty from another company, and it’s right about the same thing. But she's had a few complaints with hers and it was taking them more than a week to get out there, while the longest we’ve ever had to wait with First American is about 48 hours or so.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Over the course of years, things would break down and I’d have to go out and get one or have it repaired. Sometimes, the repair costs would be just as much as having to buy one. I wanted to find a service that will allow me to keep my appliances longer than most and allow me to not incur unexpected large expenses. I looked into acquiring a home warranty and the only company I’ve heard of was American Home Shield but I just read too many bad reviews on them.

Then I found First American Home Warranty through reading some of the comments people had said about them. They have to go out and hire contractors to service all these things so they must do a good job in obtaining reputable companies that come out and service the appliances. Submitting a claim is very easy but it would be even faster if I were to use their website. I've gone out on their website recently and it looked very user-friendly but I love to speak to people so I call. They always follow up wherein they email a service order based on what we talked about.

However, when I call them, they normally tell me that it might be a day or so before the tech can get to me so it might take them a while to work. Having somebody that I could reach and who'd come out right then would improve their service. But I'm extremely happy with them. They have delivered quality service at an extremely affordable price. I’ve recommended two people to them and they’ve bought the service as well.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We've had a couple of claims for the past five years and First American was good. They're quick to respond and any issues have all been mitigated as we filed a claim. However, it wasn't clear that refrigerators are not appliances in the home whenever I signed up for the home warranty program. In my mind, they're an appliance because of the appliance section when buying a refrigerator, but it wasn't clear that they're not covered. But it eventually got cleared up.

But we weren't very satisfied with how the technicians approached the repair for our AC unit. It had overflowed because there was not an overflow switch installed initially on the pan of the air conditioner. When the water was collecting in the pan, the auto shut-off switch was not there to engage and turn off the air conditioner, and the pipe was plugged, that would drain the water that was there. We had water damage in the house and different secondary issues. But when they came out to fix the AC issue, it was more of a patch type situation than a fix. And whenever we got over that hurdle, there was a discrepancy in the pricing or how much the switch should be and the installation of the switch versus what it could be if we did it ourselves. So we got that fixed. I'm generally satisfied with the experience and I'll continue using First American for the time being.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Called in to file a claim and asking what's covered. The rep named Jose was definitely on drugs. He asked me at least five times, "What's wrong with your dryer?" The phone call was on speaker, and my wife heard it all. She thinks it's unacceptable, so do I. Considering other home insurance companies.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

My realtor referred First American to us and we decided to go with them because I didn’t know any others. We’ve only had them for a couple of months but so far so good. If I have a claim, I just go to their website and submit it and it is easy. Their technicians were very nice and their quality of work was fine. First American was efficient so we liked it and I wouldn’t switch. It was a quick and reliable experience.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We got with First American when we bought our mobile home in 2006. Everything seems to be okay with them. I usually submit over the phone. The technician they have sent have been good. We’ve had them out for quite a bit for different things. Sometimes I wait if something happens because of the co-pay even though it’s probably a lot less expensive than what it would cost a fix. They've been efficient and competent, overall.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have been with First American for a couple of months. I had another home warranty provider before, but I liked the way First American was presented to me and I was impressed by what they covered so I thought that I'd give them a try. My most recent claim was electrical. One of the switch plates blew out, so I couldn't run the washer, dryer, and the lights. Submitting the claim went very quickly. I called in, explained my situation, and everybody was helpful. The gentleman I spoke with said he would take care of it. He gave me the name of an electrical company, who in turn, called me the same day and they were out here a day or two later. The electrician came out and he took quite a while to check everything out and figured out what the problem was and put a new switch plate. I'm pleased with the way they responded and the assistance that they gave me. I look forward to keeping them a while.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

They sent a company to replace garage door opener. It works intermittently. I called Genie. They said they will send new motherboard if I send proof of installation. They will not send proof of installation. They claim no responsibility. Also had a water heater replaced and it cost me $450. The tech said it was a faulty control valve and it was not available. I called the manufacturer and it was available. First American does not take the part of the consumer. This is a shelter inferior irresponsible company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We used to be with American Home Shield and we were happy with them. We felt like it was a good thing to have in place in case we have something break or just kind of a safety net. First American home came to us for free for the first year as it was included in the sale of the home, thanks to our Realtor. She really liked First American better than AHS and she said that she had heard from customers that First American covered more things. I've called before but my husband goes online when we submit a claim. He likes to do it via the internet and I like to deal with a person. We had something go wrong with our air conditioner and they came out. They were nice, polite and helpful. Everyone was friendly and professional at First American and they seemed to be pretty efficient as much as possible in getting someone out to resolve issues that we call about .

However, we're looking into other companies again because we're up for renewal and so, even though we like them, we're looking at money because paying insurance on healthcare and lots of other things are a bit expensive. We would like to see if we can beat their price with somebody else. And so we're shopping around not because of any bad experience that we've had with them, but because we need to find ways to save money. Other than that, we've had a positive experience in our time with them and I would definitely recommend them to a friend. In fact, when we found out that First American covered a little bit more, we passed that on to people so that they would know. I feel like that's a benefit going in.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I have always been a believer in home warranties. We had Service America in Florida for about 40 years and we had tremendous success with them. When we had a problem, which was rare since we constantly upgrade appliances, they took care of it a 100%. They have the same replacement policy where if an item is not repairable, it's replaced for the brand new one of comparable quality. We recently moved to California and unfortunately, they do not have anything out in California. I asked my son for recommendation and he said that out of two to choose from, First American would be his choice. And we went with them. They also have a replacement policy and we took advantage of it with one occasion. Every other thing they fixed perfectly. With the wine cooler however, it took longer than I anticipated for them to fulfill the repair. I reported it and they told me that I would be contacted by Active Appliances within 48 hours.

It was the latter part of the 48 hours that they contacted me, which I was a little bit disappointed with. And they set me up for an appointment roughly 10 days away from that telephone call. It wasn’t an emergency repair as it's a wine cooler, but if it were to be a refrigerator I hope they would act a lot faster than they did. So, there were all kinds of expensive wines in there and I have nowhere to put them. And the rep just told me she’s sorry and that’s the best she can do for me. To which I replied, “If you get a cancellation, please put me in… then call me and say, “We move you up to” and tell me within the day". It never happened. And then, a very nice young man came, named Freddie. He was proficient, he was in the company for only about a year but he knew what he was doing. Being knowledgeable about these things myself, I have figured out that it was the thermostat. But I also knew it was not a repair I could do. And so I watch him do it, and it was quite involved.

He was here for roughly 30 minutes and had to dismantle 50% of the wine cooler to get to where the thermostat was and determine for sure it was the thermostat which he did. Then comes the bad news and I expected it immediately that he was not going to have the part on his truck. It was another at least 10 days waiting for that part to come in. I also got a call from First American directly asking me if the repair was completed and I told them very nicely that it wasn’t and they needed to order the part. And the rep said, “We give our contractors 30 days to do a repair. So, I will be back in touch with you if anything is not taken place by 30 days". Truthfully, First American did their part. It was Active Appliances that had the problem getting the part and finding the time to send Freddie here.

After 10 full days or more, I got a call from Active Appliances that the part had come and they scheduled Freddie for the following week to put it in. The window for him to come was 8:00 to 5:00, at 5:30 I called their number but it's already on service for the weekend, and then Freddie showed up very late at 6:00. It took him another 45 minutes to do the repair but he did an excellent job and I thanked him for his hard work to get it done

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I’ve been with First American for about six years. It was given to me as an option when I bought my house and the seller covered the first year for me. Four years ago, customer service was not as good. It would take about five days to find out who was going to fix the problem. But it's much better now. For the most recent years, it’s been very effective. They call right away and they take care of the problem within 48 hours. And the reps have been fantastic. Also, 90% of the technicians who have come were nice people. They really care about the problem and they give some follow up. The 10% just want to fix the problem and get out of there. I already know most of the providers, so I just really call the company and tell them what I think about the specific company and sometimes they just directly contact them.

Their customer service is very good. They always call me back and they try to find out what the problem is. I pay $600 a year and a fee of $70 dollars now. There are a lot of small prints about what can be fixed and what cannot, and chunk of money goes to when something big needs to be fixed. So, it should be a little bit more explanatory or easier to read. But overall, it has been great. I’m happy and I will keep First American for now.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It's such a shame to have to write a review like for a home warranty company, because really, you give them money every year, and never use them, so then after 4-5 years, to need them and be disappointed, is a frustrating experience, and makes me feel like I have been throwing my money away for all this time. The staff, whilst they do try to be nice and customer service centric, they fail miserably at solving the problem. They have some terrible local contractors that they use, who really don't know what they are doing.

We are now 8 weeks into a broken dishwasher claim. The pump has been replaced twice (keep in mind that it never worked after originally being "fixed"), then the home warranty company took over ordering the parts from the contractor, and they ordered the wrong part and send the contractor out here with it. There goes another two weeks. Now they are waiting until they get another report in from the contractor before determining whether they are going to order the correct part or not. To go 8 weeks without a dishwasher, when you have a home warranty company, is pretty appalling.

Here's the bottom line, if your time doesn't matter to you, then there is definitely a benefit in having a home warranty company, because I can guarantee you, a new dishwasher, or just the 5 plumber callouts that have happened, would cost a lot more than what our annual policy costs. However, my time matters to me, and if I didn't have the home warranty company, I would have scrapped the dishwasher after the first non-fix, and just bought a new one. It would have cost me a lot more than my policy, but it would give me back 7-8 hours a week of my life that I have spent doing washing up for a family of 4 over the past 6 weeks. I highly recommend testing out a home warranty company to see if it's right for you, just don't choose this one.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Save your money. You are better off keeping your ~500 or whatever you paid for the warranty and buying something new when it breaks. By the time you go through multiple service visits. Pay their additional service visit fee. You end up with something that's probably going to break again soon and a bunch of wasted time. I would never recommend a home warranty from First American to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I've been a customer of First American for a long time. My sister had their home warranty so I thought having one was a good thing. I had the policy when we lived in Tennessee and continued it here in Florida. I had a different company when I bought the house because it had a plan on it. However, I wasn't happy with it and so I went back to First American. Sometimes, submitting a claim is a little difficult. I had one claim with them since I've lived in this house. The latest claim was the slowest of all. The servicemen came and they had to order parts. It took over a week to get those and it was slow in communicating back and forth. With the home warranty company, I always got a different person and it was hard to get a follow up on it.

The technician only came once. He came in, did the work and that was all the interaction we had. It was impossible to communicate by phone. We got him but to follow up calls with him, we only got an answering machine and never heard from him again. The quality of the work done was fine. But whenever he did the work and left, it was very noisy. Now, there's no noise but he didn't return to check it.

My plan was changed and there is a limit on what they will pay for repair or replacement. I'm paying $50 a month which is $600 a year. The limit's $1,500 and if they will only cover that amount, then I'm having a project for $900, then I'm having a project for $900. If there was no past record then it's not even worth the money that I pay every month to have the policy.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Someone recommended that I get a home warranty and I got one from First American. I've been with them for 10 years. They've always been on top generally and whenever I filed a claim. I've had good experiences with the customer service reps and the service contractors, and the quality of the work done has been very good. All in all, I found First American to be very reliable and convenient.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We had a cooling issue with the fridge of our rental property. The contractor came out two business days later. A part needed to be ordered and we did not receive a call that the part came in over a week later. I called the contractor and he said the part arrived the day before - not sure why they didn't call to schedule coming back out.

In the interim of getting in touch with him, I called First American because I was dissatisfied with the delay, and was pretty much told that it's the contractor's fault and there was nothing they could do. I asked to speak with a manager and was put on hold and then disconnected. They told me an advocate from First American would be assigned to my case, who didn't call me for several more days. By then the part was replaced.

A few weeks later, the same issue with the fridge happened again. The same contractor was sent out and went to the wrong house and then left because no one answered (it was the wrong house!) Instead of leaving me a voicemail, no one contacted me until I called asking what happened. He came out the next day and after telling him he was at the wrong house, he arrived and replaced another part. Two weeks later, same problem recurred. Same guy went to the wrong house again and didn't contact me at all. When I called the service company, I was told no one could go out again until the following Monday. Another part needed to be ordered and was told 2-3 days. It's been 2 days and still no call.

When I called First American when this third incident happened, I was told it was on the contractor and again there was nothing more they could do. I demanded to speak with a manager and the person told me she would transfer me but that a manager would not tell me anything different. I was transferred and after being on hold over 10 minutes, I gave up. I left a message for this so-called advocate and a week later have still not heard back. This company has awful customer service when an issue arises and they take no responsibility for any problems. They blame it all on contractors and don't seem to care at all about their customer's experience. Will definitely not be renewing for another year.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

They never have a sense of urgency. It always took them more than 3 days to get back to me (one for plumbing issue and another for fridge. So imagine you're living with a leaking drain to my neighbor below and had to wait over a week for them to get back to you!) or assign a contractor. This recent time it's been a week and my fridge is not working. I have been without a fridge for a week now but it doesn't matter to them. Just now I got a message from them that my service request has been cancelled. I didn't cancel it! Now I waited for a week and my request just got cancelled. I have to start over!? I'm more than pissed off. On top of that, I just got a letter from them that my fee will go up next month and service fee for each service call will go up from $65 to $75! How's that for service?!

First American Home Warranty response

Hello TK,

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able address your concerns directly with you.

Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

One of my tenants, a realtor, suggested First American and told me she liked them because if something went wrong, they usually fixed it. I've been with them for about eight years and submitting a claim has been very easy. The reps are very easy to talk to and they get back to you. I'm very pleased. I mostly had good experiences with their technicians although there were a couple of times that were not so great.

There was a guy who gave me the feeling that he didn't want to be there and didn't want to be bothered going under my house to check the plumbing. I ended up having to hire another plumber out of pocket who was able to just look at it. He didn't even go under the house and said that my problem was I needed a bigger pipe. That time we were replacing the washer and when they hooked it up, it was too strong for my pipes.

That kind of upset me because I wasted a lot of money and time. My tenants were without a washer and dryer for a while. Another time, I had somebody repair something, and I had to have it repaired again by somebody else. Also, I haven't had anything replaced brand new. They say they can't fix something and there's a little bit of the fine print that it's not covered. Other than those, First American gives me and my tenants a good feeling that if anything goes wrong, they just call and someone will come out and fix it for $65. They work in a timely manner which is nice and I have recommended them to friends.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I selected First American Home Warranty when I first moved into my home (built in the 1860s) because they were the coverage suggested by my real estate agent. The first year I had coverage, First American was great -- very responsive when I had a pipe burst in the basement and covered the repair without any pushback -- and based on that good experience, I opted to pay the $410/year for continued coverage. Since then, the service has been horrendous. Last year, I had to make multiple phone calls in order for an HVAC person to come to my home (the contractor was phenomenal -- Moad -- but First American stalled with dispatching the company even though it was in the 30s and was an emergency).

What pushed me to create an account here and write a review is what has transpired the last two days. On Monday, 10/30/17, I made a claim that my heat was not working. Almost immediately, First American contacted me to say that a contractor was dispatched and that I could expect a call within two business days. No one called, and this morning (11/1) it was a brisk 40 degrees inside my home. I attempted to contact the contractor, but no one answered, so I followed up with First American as 48 hours had passed since my report.

It turns out that at some point between 10/30/17 and 11/1/17, the contractor was marked as "Closed-Completed" by First American. The gentleman I spoke to over the phone was apologetic, and said he could send someone in the next two business days. Not good enough. I kept pushing until he finally said someone would call in the next 24 hours. Still not good enough, but better than no one.

I expected that because First American closed a claim that was never addressed that the company would for sure cover the $95.00 service fee. They refused, until I pushed, and was told they'd cover 1/2 of the service fee. At this point I have spent $410.00 in the annual feel + $47.50 + missed time at work to deal with First American because I don't have heat in my home. Do yourself a favor and find your own decent contractors or find a better warranty company. The hassle of working with First American and their obscene service fee (on top of the annual fee) is not worth it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

When I bought my house, First American Home Warranty was paid for two years and I continued it. It’s very easy to submit claims with them. I call them up, tell them my problems, then they give me the name of the person that they are going to call. They tell me to call that person if he doesn't call me the next day. They make the appointment and the guy comes out and fixes whatever it is needed to be fixed then it's done. Their claims reps have always been really nice and helpful. I had one thing happened in the middle of the night so I called and someone answered. They got a plumber over here at 2:00 in the morning and the plumber fixed the problem. The technicians who come here are polite. They’ve always been friendly and nice. They look at the situation and fix it. First American replaced my air conditioning and my furnace so having it is a good value.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

As a 10-year customer to First American Warranty, I called for emergency repair on my garage door. I had a pending out of the country trip the next day... The contractors referred to me could not respond for 1 or 2 days which was not possible. I located a contractor that could respond that day, and asked First American to allow me to be reimbursed or cashed out as I would be paying out of pocket. First American operator and then the resolution desk REFUSED to allow it. I am disappointed as a longtime loyal customer and will take my business elsewhere as well as mention to the many people I have referred them to do the same. The strange thing is that the contractor I summoned had a lower price than the others, we all would have saved money.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello LD,

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to being able to address your concerns directly with you.

Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

First American has good quality service. Submitting a claim to them was easy and very simple. I usually do it over the phone and their claims representatives were quick, efficient and got the job done. It went well with the technicians too. Everything went smoothly and perfect. I also enjoyed that when I asked them if a particular item would be covered, they were very knowledgeable about it and that's a big plus. For other companies, I have to wait until they come out to tell me what’s wrong.

First American Home Warranty Company Information