Get a Free Quote Visit Website
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5
Visit Website

First American Home Warranty is a leader in the home warranty industry, proudly serving homeowners for over 30 years. Our comprehensive plans protect homeowner’s budgets from unforeseen expenses due to normal wear and tear of a home's major systems and appliances.

First American Home Warranty Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

First American Home Warranty has been in the industry for more than three decades. Although plans include some exclusions, the company’s add-on coverage allows customers to tailor the warranty to fit their needs.

PROS

• Termite coverage
  • Available in California, Arizona and Nevada
  • Pest control coverage

CONS

• Cancellation policy
  • Not available in all states

Top First American Home Warranty Reviews

I've had the First American Premier Plan for years. Their online claim portal is quick and easy. They have a repair company call the same day or next day and each company has got the job done successfully. I've had many home repairs fixed via First American, so I feel it has been worth the cost.

The contractor was exceptional! Arrived on time, professional and assessed the work needed to be done. He successfully completed the job within a couple of hours, and he left the bathroom clean and with a working toilet. I was very pleased with this entire process!

First American Home Warranty plans

In business for more than 30 years, First American Home Warranty offers comprehensive plans that protect homeowners’ budgets when critical home systems and appliances break down. When it comes to systems and appliances, there are no age limits. First American Home Warranty will cover a system or appliance provided it is in safe working order at the start of your contract no matter how old it is.

• Basic Plan: Covers essential kitchen appliances, plus washers and dryers.
  • Premier Plan: Includes everything covered by the basic plan, plus coverage for home systems such as heating, electrical and plumbing.

First American Home Warranty cost

First American Home Warranty pricing for annual premiums range from about $300–$500. Prices can vary based on your home size and location, so it’s best to request a quote directly from the company to get a true picture of the cost to cover your house. The service call fee for basic plans is $60, which you’ll pay each time First American sends a technician to your home.

PlanAverage monthly cost
Basic$25
Premier$40

First American Home Warranty coverage

First American Home Warranty covers essential appliances and systems through their two plans. Their Premier Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage, while the Basic Plan is somewhat limited, covering appliances only.

Across their plans, First American Home Warranty offers coverage for the following items. Note that not every item is available on every plan:

• Dishwasher
  • Ceiling fans
  • Garbage disposal
  • Instant hot water dispenser
  • Microwave (built-in only)
  • Trash compactor
  • Electrical
  • Garage door opener
  • Plumbing system
  • Plumbing stoppages

Coverage is also available for pest control services, including subterranean termite treatment.

First American Home Warranty Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My house is old and paid for, so there's no reason not to protect it against all those things that could go wrong with an older house. I heard about First American Home Warranty through a friend and I signed up with them. The first time I had a claim with them was frustrating because you have to understand that they want to repair rather than replace. But once you understand that they're gonna come out and try to find a way to fix it, even though it might not be fixable, you'd deal with it. So, I have no problem with the process once I understood it.

Filing claims with them can be done in a couple of ways but I do it by the phone. I'm old and I'd like to talk to people.With First American, some reps get back to you right away and some do it a little later and it's a little frustrating that you have to wait for them to get back to you. I also missed one call though. They called my office instead of my cellphone, so I didn't pick it up and I didn't even know who was calling me. Aside from that, when they wanna replace an appliance, you gotta be very tough with them. I have KitchenAid products and they wanted to give me a lower rank microwave. But I have matching KitchenAid appliances and I didn't wanna put a different brand of microwave in the middle of high-end KitchenAid appliances. So, I took the cash, bought a microwave, and made money.

Other than that, the last tech that I dealt with was a fool. He was very urgent, very abrupt, and he knew everything. But he cancelled my appointment even though he was supposed to work for me for the repair of my dishwasher. He was also so angry when I told him that the top rack was hanging half off. He said that that doesn't happen, but I told him that it has happened twice and I had the part in my hand. I understand that some of these guys really don't wanna be doing what they do with First American but I don't know why they're in it, if they don't wanna do it. They let you know that they're not really getting paid a lot, but if they don't wanna do it, then they shouldn't be on the list.

But other than that last tech, the other ones I had were great and they did what they were supposed to do. The one that First American eventually sent our for my dishwasher was great. He understood my problem and didn't waste my time. I already had the problem before, so I knew exactly what was the needed the part and the part number. So, I told him what the part was before he came out, instead of going through a rigmarole with him coming out, saying what part was needed and that he'd be back with it. We skipped a two-appointment process which is a waste of everybody's time. I only pay one copay, so it doesn't matter to me. But I told the guy what I needed and he came with the part, so he got the repair done in one full swoop.

Overall, the warranty works for me and I like the coverage. First American has also done what I expected them to do. I don't know if they're good, bad, or indifferent, but I've had a water heater replaced and they took care of it. They also put in a new microwave for me and they fixed my dishwasher three times. I have the top coverage and for the $600 that I pay annually, which is 50 bucks a month, it's money well spent, especially if you have an older home and your appliances are all very old, like mine. My air conditioner goes out at $6,000 and that's 10 years of payment to make that up. And I guarantee within the next 10 years, if I'm alive, that my air conditioner is gonna go out because it's already 20 years old. So, that's why you protect against the big things.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Michael for your review.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had a garage door problem. First American Home Warranty sent somebody out. I’m not a mechanic, but I said, “I think there’s something wrong with the motor.” Without looking nor testing the motor he said, “We need to change your springs and your rails.” I asked if it was covered and he said no and that’ll be around $1,500. And since he was busy, he would be able to come after dinner on his own time. I said okay, but I got to thinking about it. I looked at our coverage and it looked as though some of that was covered. But the problem was he didn’t look at the motor. I said I'd hold it off and called another garage door place on my own dollar, and asked them to come out and give me a look-see on the problem I got with the door. He came out and he pushed a button, and it was jumping and glitching. He took the cover off, and he said, “It’s your motor.” And I said, “Is it the spring or the rails?” “No, no, those are in good shape.”

I called First American back and they were really good enough to send another company. That company changed the motor and it’s been working perfectly since. Two weeks after that, my commode was overflowing so I called First American. A plumbing guy came out and said, “There’s nothing wrong with your toilet here.” I said, “Well, maybe it’s being stopped up.” He said, “The stoppage is gonna be in your front yard. We’re gonna have to dig it up and find the drain line and then unplug it.” I said, “You can’t put some plumber’s snake? I’ve got one that’s 20 feet long. I just didn’t wanna damage anything."

He said, “No. We can dig in your front yard and that would cost between $1,500 and $2,000, but that’s not gonna be covered.” I said, “Okay. I just don’t wanna do that just yet.” I called First American back again, and they sent another guy out. He said, “There’s nothing wrong with your drain.” He said it’s the toilet fixture itself. The toilet was split. There’s a fine line and that aggravated the flushing problem.

We got three contracts with First American, for our home and two rental properties. So, I was so mad with the two contractors that said that I had to replace the springs and the rails without even looking at the motor, and the other guy who wanted to dig my front yard. This kind experience just happened lately. We have been totally supportive with First American. As a matter of fact, I’m part of the homeowner’s association and I’ve often talked about them. And a lot of the homeowners have gone with them because of my involvement and my positive attitude. My concern was that some contractors try to take advantage of a person without going into the part that was really what was causing the problem.

First American has a couple of bad contractors that are in it for trying to spin the homeowner out of their money when it was something that was so obvious. If there’s a certain number of complaints, that company should be reconsidered for going out. My wife was close to going ahead with agreeing with this rail thing and digging up the front yard, which doesn’t make sense. But after we sorted it through, First American have been absolutely 100% with their response. I would recommend them over everybody else and I guarantee it. Had we not pursued that with First American and got somebody else out, we would’ve been in the red by about $4,000. Other than that, they have been perfect. We’re happy with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Alan, thank you for your feedback. Our records indicate that we have since dispatched another contractor who replaced the motor to your garage door opener and the job has been completed. Thank you.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I had a warranty since I bought my house as I figured it would be better if I do since I live in an older home. However, my previous home warranty did not cover some items that I liked covered, so I looked into First American and they said they would cover those. The thing is, I have an issue with my refrigerator that I have mentioned to them in the past, but it seemed like they don’t listen. I’ve been commenting that my refrigerator is breaking as it's making tons of noise, but they keep saying that they can do nothing about it because it’s not broken. I have stated that if it either breaks or explodes, it’s not just gonna cost the refrigerator. It might cost the wall and more damage to whoever is around it. I tell my kids to get out of the kitchen when they hear the noise. And whenever I get family in the house, they ask about the noise and say that it’s not normal.

It happens every day and at different times, like at 3 o’clock in the morning, I hear that thing like a cranking motor going on like a hammer - a super loud noise. A refrigerator is supposed to be quiet. I wrote First American an email. I sent them text messages. I wrote random notes to whoever it might be a concern but I don’t think anybody reads them. And the technician says the same thing, that he can’t do anything about it and he doesn’t have a work order for it.

Also, it’s a little frustrating when there are repeating items that keep on breaking. It just seems like an ongoing thing but I gotta pay the fee again. And I can’t change who they hire. They don’t sympathize, and whenever I call in concerns that I have for my house that have been repeatedly done, like something that we got done last year that I’m doing again, they say we should do a new claim. And there’s nothing I can do. I have to do that. I got to fix these things, especially when it comes to stoves, refrigerators, things that I have to use daily.

Then when I call to submit my claims, sometimes I get answers from reps that are polite, but others are not too polite. Some also don’t listen to what I have to say at all. They just want to book an appointment. And though some of the contractors they send are okay, some are not. They’re not very talkative. Sometimes the people don’t speak the language, and they don’t have a lot of communication. Also, they don’t clean up after themselves at times. Although I've had a company before that was good. I have been given different companies in the past, it's just that I cannot choose. The reps just tell me that somebody’s gonna contact me.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Over 27 years ago, I bought one of my homes in Las Vegas, I was aware that there was a buyer’s protection warranty with the house that I purchased under assumable loan. After I made purchase of the home, I inquired on keeping a home warranty within the first year. The warranty at the time was given to my wife and I for one year after the purchase. After consideration, within that year period of living in the home, we decided to pursue a home warranty on our own, and we chose First American. When we did the research, we came up with it and we’ve been with them in our two homes since.

Our claims with them always seem to come through one way or another in the process. I’ve learned in the last few years that First American is going through the on-call response to particular needs. When they turn around, they use out-of-the-country people to take the calls. They’re very courteous and polite, but there’s a little bit of a language barrier at times. I did experience some interpretation of phrases and language that are used in America that they seem to be a little confused on. They do get to the bottom of it, but in regards to officially having a call taker that would understand the complete needs, understanding the language seemed to be a barrier. First American should really re-examine it. And I’m not trying to be prejudicial, but I think they should relocate their answering service back in the United States.

Also, the people that First American contracts with seem to be a problem. It's not so much with the house in Las Vegas. It’s the house I have in Richmond Hill, Georgia, which is outside Savannah. Sometimes, they do not have enough contractors that are dependable to respond to the needs of the people because they don’t have enough service people in the area. And in some cases, we even use Sears, and I’ve had good luck with Sears in the Midwest and the West. But in the South, they refer to Sears, and Sears did not adequately fit the needs. They didn’t have technicians that were completely knowledgeable in the requirements on maintaining the equipment. So, in three occasions, they turned around and cancelled the appointments or there was a delay in three weeks to get here, and there was always confusion.

The technicians are below acceptable in the South, and in the Southeast Coast, it’s been below 50%. In the South, in some cases, I’d have to go to special claims adjustment. And it ended up being that I had to find a contractor, and then they would make the arrangement for reimbursement. Now, I have an issue here, which is finally getting resolved, and I’m happy with the way First American ended up taking care of it in the end.

I always recommend First American, because in my case, having it on two homes, it has been very beneficial for me. The amount of money that I pay out yearly for the coverage has worked out to my benefit with air conditioning units, pool, and appliances. It has worked out very well for me, and that was the purpose of maintaining a warranty. I’ve always promoted, but I always explain the issues I've had. There’s been some red tape, and I’m sure that every insurance company has some red tape. But I’ve had a very good successful rate with First American.

First American Home Warranty response

Hello Lawrence. Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

Original review: March 14, 2019

First American Home Warranty has taken care of and of any issues I have had in the three years that I have been with them. Most of the claims were resolved quickly and the only one I had an issue with was my built-in oven. It went out two years ago before Thanksgiving and I didn’t get it repaired until the day before Christmas because whoever came out measured wrong. It was supposed to be a 36 and they sent a 30, so they had to reorder it. I understand that you gotta wait for parts to come in but that one took a while.

The AC technicians were great. I had two of them go out within three months and First American was right there on the spot. They got me the new unit, came and put it in, and did an exceptional job. However, for the washer, I had to go through four technicians for the same problem and each one of them diagnosed something different. I work on industrial laundry equipment for a living and First American sent a technician out who said that the pump was bad. I told him it wasn’t the pump. The washer was not getting voltage and it was the control board. However, he said it was the pump and they ordered one. They sent another guy, he put the pump in and when he was done, my washer wouldn’t work at all. On his work order, it said, “Installed pump”. He didn’t test run it and when I got home that evening, I called back and told them that now, my washer doesn’t work at all.

Another guy was sent out and he said that it needed a wiring harness in the pump. I told him that it was the control board and it was not getting voltage to the pump. He ordered a pump and a wiring harness. Another technician was sent out by First American and it went to another company. The guy came out and he said it was the wrong wiring harness and then he said that the machine was beyond repair. Supposedly, it was in the control boards. I don’t fault First American, it was Sears who were sending out technicians who did not know. I showed the last technician my van and I told him that I would show him what I do for a living and that I work on fully automated washers and dryers at hotel, motels and resorts, and I've travelled the world doing it. He looked at me and asked if I knew what was wrong with it. I said I did and that was when he wrote that it could not be repaired.

I went back to First American and I asked what we were gonna do. They said they were gonna send the machine and I asked if that included a base because mine had one. They said that they don’t replace bases and that I could do a cash out. So I did and bought what I wanted. I was happy when it was all said and done. I am happy with the quality of work of First American and I will keep the warranty as long as I own my home.

First American Home Warranty response

Thank you Ray for your feedback!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First American Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have been very happy with the service provided by American Home Warranty. My washer drum was not working properly. I called AHW and was told someone would contact me within a couple of days. The repair company was very quick to respond and the repairman they sent was professional and knowledgeable. AHW received their report and within a matter of days informed me that the washer was not repairable and they would replace it or send me a check for the replacement value. AHW sent me a check within 5. Since the replacement was a different brand I added to the check and purchased a dryer also. This was necessary because I had Samsung Stackables and replaced them with GE Stackables. I am extremely happy with the service I received through the AHW Company and have already recommended the company to friends.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Our tub was clogged. 2 other plumbing companies had come out first. The first company said they would need to go under the house to repair the drain. The 2nd guy showed up and didn't have the equipment to snake the drain. Finally, the 3rd plumber came out, snaked the line and all is well now. It took him 15 minutes..

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My fridge failed and I was offered a replacement or cash and since the replacement did not meet my specs I took the no hassle check. The fridge was delivered within the timeframe estimated and was installed requiring a door side change which was done quickly and all turned out just fine.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

FAHW is a great home warranty company. I had horrible service with a different company before switching and the difference between the service was like night and day. I would and have recommended FAHW to friends and family. Filing a claim is a breeze and customer service is great, not to mention when any service is needed it was completed timely and if not then communication was always there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Worst home warranty we ever have. We got the warranty when closing from the title company/lender. Please get your money back and buy warranty from another company on your own if you can. We requested plumbing work. I totally understand some conditions are not covered. But the contractor didn’t fix the problem and did the wrong diagnosis, so we have to find a plumber on our own and start it over.

What’s more, they still want to charge me based on this even when it is clear that the contractor did nothing right. So I dispute with them. I explain the situation; they ask for my invoice from my plumber. I submit the invoice and the check we used to pay; they ask for the plumber’s contact. My plumber already told me not to share the contact and I’m totally understand as the warranty will keep bugging him. The customer service is so bad and too hard to work with. They are keeping asking for documents other than find the problem and solve the problem on their side. I’m very frustrated and regret to choose this warranty. I have spent almost $500 for the warranty fee, now I need to spend $75 for nothing.

First American Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Coverage exclusions will be outlined in your contract and usually pertain to circumstances outside of normal wear and tear.

Item parts that are deemed nonessential to the core functioning of the appliance or system may also be excluded from coverage. For example, First American Home Warranty will cover your plumbing system but will not cover fixtures, faucets, filters or shower heads. You can find a full list of exclusions via FirstAmerican's sample contract for Texas.

First American Home Warranty coverage limits

First American Home Warranty places dollar limits on certain items. This is the total amount they will pay to access, diagnose, repair and/or replace items covered in your contract. Coverage limits range from $500–$2,500 per item, which is comparable to the industry average home.

ItemFirst American Home Warranty coverage limit
    Concrete encased plumbing and ductwork$500
    Steam, heated water or glycol heating$1,500
    Kitchen refrigerator$2,500
    Additional refrigeration (up to 4 units)$1,000
    Seller’s heating, central air conditioning and ductwork$1,500
    Septic tank system $500
    *Other limits may apply to optional add-on coverage or upgraded coverage.

First American Home Warranty claims

You can submit your claim online or by calling First American’s toll-free number. You’ll need to have your contract number and the make and model of the item needing repair handy.

How to request service from First American Home Warranty:

1. Submit your claim to First American Home Warranty.
    2. They will assign a contractor to your case.
    3. Your service call fee will be due upon the technician’s arrival.

Emergency service: Reasonable efforts will be made to rush service when the system or appliance breakdown causes the home to be uninhabitable.

First American Home Warranty FAQ

Is a home inspection required by First American Home Warranty?

No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from First American Home Warranty, but pre-existing conditions are generally not covered.

Can I cancel First American Home Warranty before my contract is up?

You can cancel your warranty within seven days of the contract effective date (generally 30 days after purchase). After that period, the contract is considered non-cancelable. A written request must be made to request consideration for cancellation. If approved, you will get a pro-rated refund and be charged a $50 administrative fee.

Is First American Home Warranty worth it?

First American Home Warranty provides coverage for all your essential home systems and household appliances. The pest control services and termite treatment coverage are what makes First American Home Warranty’s plans standout to us. While there are other home warranty companies that provide this coverage, it is not a standard option and we think it’s worth noting. Overall, the price for homebuyers and homeowners not in a real estate transaction is on the lower side compared to the rest of the industry. We think First American offers good coverage at a decent price.

First American Home Warranty Company Information