Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

1.0/5 (50 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Handy

Handy is an online marketplace for discovering local cleaning and handyman services. With Handy, you can find companies or services based on ratings and other search factors in your area, including filters for specialized services like TV mounting,

Pros

• Free service if you’re dissatisfied
  • Variety of services available
  • Easy-to-use app

Cons

• Vague pricing

Bottom Line

Handy is a professional cleaning and handyman service that matches users with the service that they need. Its prices are vague and depend on size and service, but the app can be a great way to find qualified companies.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Handy?

Handy is a leading online platform for finding professional, background-checked cleaning or handy work. It’s a convenient platform that helps customers quickly find quality help. Handy’s happiness guarantee promises that the company will try its best to match you with qualified professionals in your city to solve your handy or cleaning needs quickly. Handy is in 28 cities nationwide — check the company's website to see if it's available in your area.

How does Handy work?

The easiest way to use Handy is through its mobile device app. Once you download the app, you can select your desired service — options include full-house cleaning, partial-house cleaning and handy services, including assembling furniture.

After Handy matches you with professionals in your area, you can select a time that works best for you, and Handy takes your payment securely online.

Handy cleaning prices

Handy has a variety of pricing structures, including one-time services and scheduled cleaning plans for monthly or biweekly visits. Handy’s prices vary based on your house's size and your cleaning specifications, but it does charge a $15 fee if you cancel between 24 hours and two hours before your appointment. If you cancel at the time of your appointment, you must pay full price.

Handy has a strong customer support policy and offers a free second visit if you have complaints about your service. It also has 24/7 customer support and can be reached easily by email.

Handy FAQ

How much is Handy?
Handy’s prices vary based on the service. For cleaning, the size of your house also affects the cost.
Who owns Handy?
ANGI Homeservice Inc. owns Handy.
Does HomeAdvisor own Handy?
HomeAdvisor and Handy are owned by the same parent company, ANGI Homeservices.
Does Handy do background checks?
Yes, Handy does background checks to vet its professionals.

Is Handy legit?

Yes, Handy is a legit way to find cleaning and handy services in the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada. It conducts a lengthy screening process for all of its handymen and cleaning professionals that includes credit and background checks. If you need to find cleaning services or have small jobs that need to be done around your house, we recommend looking on Handy for local professionals.

Handy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?

Original review: July 25, 2021

I don't think this company really wants to "hire" professionals. They take all your personal information, social security, address, phone, supposedly for a "background" check. Then harass you to download their "App" for immediate opportunities. The App is worthless and then they never follow-up with any job opportunities.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I purchased an item online from Walmart and included the assembly from Handy. The item arrived at my home and Handy scheduled, and canceled five four-hour window appointments, over a period of a week and a half, before finally writing to tell me they can't perform the service. They, of course, already took my money, and Walmart won't return it, because it was paid to an outside supplier (even though I paid Walmart for the service). It took over a month for the money to appear on my credit card. Total Rip Off. Walmart too. From now on, I'm buying my Chinese Communist junk from Amazon.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Walmart + Handy tv mounting is a complete SHAM! You will book an appointment and no one will show! Then you will be given repeated rescheduled appointments every other day until you wise up and realize these people are never coming! Don’t be fooled because the Walmart name is attached because they cannot help you get your money back from these con artists! They have scammed me out of $79. Don’t let it happen to you.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Wish there was a way to give zero stars. Booked and paid upfront for drywall repair. Handy's terms of service say that if *we* cancel the booking within 48 hours, then *they* get to keep all the money. However, Handy.com rescheduled us THREE TIMES over two weeks within TWO HOURS of our booking. We kept taking off work in order to be there when the handyman arrived, and then the morning of, within 1-2 hours of our booking start time, we would just get an automated text telling us "the professional scheduled to assist you today had to cancel last minute and we have rescheduled you". We have to give them 48 hours notice, and they get to give us NO notice? Where's OUR cancellation fee?

The third time, they just flat-out cancelled the booking entirely and texted "your Handy booking has been cancelled due to an emergency with your professional, we're refunding your card, you should see the money arrive back within 5 days". Never saw a single handyman, never got a phone call apologizing or explaining, nothing. Just held our money for weeks, lied, made it impossible for us to hire a legitimate repairman in the meantime, and communicated solely via texts. If you actually do need someone reliable who will complete the work in a timely manner and not screw you over, don't go with Handy.com. Completely untrustworthy.

Original review: July 5, 2021

When You sign up to work for this company at Handy, Know what you're getting yourself into. Looks like they'll pay you well right? Bigger jobs equal a bigger paycheck right? Well that what I thought until further investigation. Handy, provides pros different jobs on their app and they'll give you the price they'll pay. Sounds good until you click on the job you're interested in and decide to accept it. The app then proceeds to bring up a notice about cancelations and the prices they will charge you (the pro) for any cancelations with less than 48 hours. Which means that if you accept a job post less than 48 hours, you will see less money in your paycheck than they said they'd pay you and your rate will go down.

There's a few problems wrong with this but my main problem focuses on something that's not completely honest on their end. Rather you canceled a job earlier than 48 hours or less, your ratings will drop. The problem? Once you've accepted a job, They proceed to give you the details of what needs to be done. Suppose there was something that you weren't able to do or willing to do on that job description or suppose it'd take much more time than they'll pay you for? Well either accept that dropped rating and perhaps money being pulled from your next job. That's right. They will lure you into a job with the amount they will pay you WITHOUT giving you ANY details until AFTER you've accepted the job.

Suppose you really don't want that rating drop and you decide to accept that job. It's either, you do whatever that job is and hope your customer will be easy on you for trying to get it all done before the pay time is up and not give a bad rating, or you work over the pay time and not get paid for the extra time you worked. Regardless your ratings do definitely work for or against you. Bad ratings equal Handy to kick you out of their services. In the long run handy is sneaky handedly treating its pros like another number and getting away with it.

Going back to the job descriptions. Handy is not always accurate in what needs to be done. It's also not always accurate with how far away a job is. 10 miles away does not equal a whole 2h 49min drive! And I'm not going that far to only work for 4 hours and come back hoping that another 2h 49min drives becomes longer due to traffic! That's the whole paycheck!

I went to a customer's house and was ready to do everything the description told me. As a cleaner, I brought all of my cleaning equipment and supplies and after meeting the customer, she said she only wanted me to do some organizing and no cleaning. She told a representative of Handy what she was looking for and thought that they'd give me the memo. Well I got a memo but the wrong one. Here's where things get deeper. She was charged $187 for me to simply organize her closet and It wasn't hard and it really wasn't going to take as long as she expected. Needless to say she shouldn't have been charged as much as it was.

The other problem here is after listening to the price she paid $187, I only got paid $80 from Handy! They say that they only take 20 percent of our earnings but look at those the amount they charged her and how much they paid me. Does that look like 20 percent was taken out or more than 20 percent? I managed to keep my customer ratings at a 5 star rating but averaged a 57 rating with canceling some jobs. To save your eyes from baring anymore rolling from side to side glancing at words, my Idea my advice. Be careful. They do their pros much dirtier than they portray.

Original review: June 30, 2021

So far my experience with both booking services and with their customer service has been trash. I’ve had my appointment rescheduled 3 times and cancelled once because of ‘last minute call outs’. I tried scheduling at a time I choose, going with when they re-scheduled me, choosing a specific pro and choosing from their availability, and none of it worked. When I asked for a refund and my plan to be cancelled because obviously I’m never getting an appointment to show up, I was told there was a $99 cancellation fee because I received a discounted service….which I never received because the appointment was rescheduled! I’ve been going back and forth with this customer service rep, but the responses are word for word the same, so they’re either a robot or are just sending pre-written emails.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I scheduled a service call for my A/C. The provider did not show and did not contact me. Handy.com contacted me via text message to verify that the service was complete. When I responded negatively, they said that someone from Handy.com would reach out to me "shortly". Sixteen hours later, I finally contacted them to request a refund. They did promptly respond and agree to refund. But it was a lesser amount than I was originally to have been charged. When I called to verify that they would refund the correct amount, the service rep told me I had to work through Google Pay (or something like that) as they did not have access to the billing. I find this to be unacceptable. I turns out that they charged me the lesser amount originally. So, assuming that they actually do refund me, I suppose they get that right. Small consolation for the worst experience that I have ever had in trying to service done.

Original review: June 15, 2021

They try to lure you in for a discounted price. Afterwards, they charge your credit card first without providing service. In my case, they first notified that the pro service I requested is not available. Then they claimed that they sent someone, I had no person come. They refused to credit or send a second service back. Run away from Handy!

Original review: June 11, 2021

As a contractor for this company I have to say that they do not respond to the concerns of the pro. I have been waiting now 5 weeks to get paid for an issue that their app caused…keep saying be patient but I’m sure they wouldn’t want to wait 5 weeks for their paycheck!

Original review: May 28, 2021

I booked Handy.com through Samsung.com when I purchased my new Samsung Frame TV for installation. The service was priced at $80 plus tax. When the technician arrived he admitted he did not have experience in installing the low profile bracket that comes with the TV. I had the TV in the Styrofoam next the wall for installation and when he moved it, he put a large, black scratch in the wall. The line was deep as well and would require patching and smoothing as well as painting.

From there I needed to show him the brackets he needed to install. In his first attempt, he found the stud and put in the first screw. He measured the back of the TV and started to align the second bracket. At this point I had to show him he was installing it upside down and backward. After not quite getting what I has saying, I had to have him take off the bracket and show him on the TV. He then understood the system and reinstalled though by now I had multiple holes in the wall. He had the remains of a wall patch silicon that he tried to fill them with but didn't have enough.

He then spent the next hour removing and repositioning the first bracket and measuring for the second one. He put more holes in the wall and could never get the second bracket aligned and installed. I finally asked him to leave when we tried to screw in a plastic drywall anchor from the front side of the metal bracket. At this point it was clear he was not well trained in general much less with Samsung's specific product I contract to install.

I reached out to Samsung and answered their survey giving the installation the lowest marks possible. I also contacted Handy.com and asked them what they would do to repair and remedy the poor installation attempt. They asked me to estimate repairs and calculated about $400 to fill all the extra holes, repair the scratch and repaint my wall. They agreed to these numbers but only if I would sign a onerous and one sided NDA. It included a clause that would put me liable for $5,000 in penalty for statement about the incident in the past or future. This would mean I would have already violated the agreement giving Samsung the feedback that their installer performed poorly.

I decided I would not put my self at risk and it was better to alert everyone to their lack of qualified and trained personnel. I wanted to make sure that Samsung understood that the product they were offering was subpar, all of which I could not do if I accepted their offer to fix what they damaged. Think about how many people have taken the money rather than disclose their incompetence. I do not recommend their services.

Original review: May 28, 2021

Terrible company that charges you ahead of cleaning service, cancel booking on you and when you ask to cancel plan, they tell you that you have to pay $99 cancellation fee. This company is a plain out fraud and needs to be put out of business. They cancelled my booking twice in a row.

Original review: May 19, 2021

We contracted for 6 months of cleaning service. First visit no one shows. We agree to let Handy reschedule. They did not show 50% of the time and even had the nerve to charge us $10 every time THEY did not show. Had the last straw, as we were basically never sure who was cleaning our house, the service or us. Not why you commit to a cleaning service, to do it yourself. We canceled because of their breach of contract. They charged us $99 to do that even though they already breached the contract by showing just half the time. RUN!!!! RUN!!!! For independent contractors- run as well. You hardly get paid a thing, if they ever pay you.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I used the Handy App for home cleaning services for about a year until COVID and everything stopped. I started back up again but the professional I always used is not available anymore so Handy sent a new woman. I left with my dogs when she arrived and I got home about 15 minutes before she was scheduled to be finished. The woman was gone and so were many of my valuable things. Handy claims they guarantee their vetting system but I can’t even get them to give me a phone number to contact them. They will correspond only through email.

I reported to the police but Handy will only give me an email address for the police to contact them with. No specific name of someone to ask for just a generic email. Each email they send me is from someone different. They have the report but they keep claiming they don’t. They should have this woman’s information and give it to the police. It’s been over 2 weeks now.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Wish I had found these other reviews before I got roped in too. This company needs to be shut down, put out of business. They advertise that they covered my area, booked and rescheduled THREE times, one hour before they were supposed to be here. Then they charge you $99 to cancel, and tell you that it can be applied to some other 'select service', but what they don't tell you is that you are once again ROPED in for a year, and they will continue to bill you. And it does you no good to have 'select service' if no one shows up or no one covers your area. It's consumer fraud when you charge for a service that you never receive. STAY away from handy.com. I will be reporting them to all the appropriate channels so they will be investigated and hopefully keep other unsuspecting consumers from getting ripped off.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I used Handy for a recent garbage disposal installation I purchased through Walmart. It was an easy add on and for $89 I thought it would be worth it because my particular disposal has to be wired. This installation ended up being rescheduled a total of three times because the first two technicians were no shows (no email, texts or phone calls either). Each time I would email the handy folks to complain someone different would answer my email. One of them even stated the technician had already completed the job. On top of all of that the tech that came to my home couldn't figure out how to install my new disposal and I ended up getting under the sink with him and figuring it out. They also promised me a $25 gift card for rescheduling the first time, which never happened. I will never, ever use Handy again!

Original review: April 29, 2021

Google Nest is partnered with this company which is why I used them in first place. Made an appt for AC check. They called day of and said the only appt they can find is next day after appt, then get an email stating appt is 5 days away!!! What kind of crap is that? I could have found someone local quicker than waiting for them. I canceled appt but as usual I am out the money for them for 3 to 5 days while it is being refunded. NEVER NEVER use them!

Original review: April 29, 2021

Roger G was sent to assemble a treadmill thru Walmart-Handy. First attempt gave up as he "had another job." Was unable to install cover to handle. I asked where the screws were, he shrugged his shoulders. Walmart/Handy rescheduled Roger to come on the next Monday. He was a no show. I then discovered one of the small boxes left by the equipment contained 30+ pieces of hardware (locking washers, bolts and screws). They better not send him again!!

Original review: April 27, 2021

I have attempted to use them twice. The first time was to put my trampoline I purchased together. They kept changing the date and time. I finally canceled the appointment and hired someone local. This past week I purchased an electric bicycle from Walmart. I was contacted three times with a need to reschedule. On the third time they canceled less than two hours before arrival time. I had to switch my entire work schedule around and they gave no good reason. So if I cancel within 24 hours I am charged $99 but they cancel in less than 2 hours and I am expected to be okay with it. It is costing me $150 more to take the bike to a bike shop. They should pay for this. Unrealistic. I cannot even get my money back for the bike appointment. Do Not trust. You get excited and they will continue to reschedule over and over.

Original review: April 20, 2021

My first cleaning was to a house with no furniture before I moved in, specifically asking for the oven, cabinets and other places like bathrooms to be cleaned. When I moved in, those were all the places I still found out crumbs, dirt, hair, and disgust. I had to still pay full price, no refund, and was forced to continue with a plan I didn't want to sign up for.

The second cleaning around, the woman cancelled on me day-of, prior to me having guests over and no time to clean myself. I was told they would cancel my plan. A month later, I get a notification I have a service booked for 2 days from now, was already charged over $220 ... and obviously, the plan wasn't cancelled and they won't allow me to cancel unless I pay another 100. On top of that, they sell and give all my personal information to local handymen who call me and stop by asking about house projects unwarranted.

Original review: April 18, 2021

I have been a long time customer of Wayfair. I have never had an issue with the assembly until now that they are using Handy. I purchased $2500 of patio furniture and paid and additional $1,000 for Handy assembly. I have had two NO SHOWS, and numerous reschedules by the company and I am still sitting here with unopened boxes. I am fed up now, so I will be contacting Wayfair in the morning to see about returning the items and getting a refund. I hate to give up my relationship with Wayfair, but I can't risk using Handy again and going thru this waste of my time so as long as they are partnered with Handy I will be forced to shop elsewhere.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I ordered assembly for my TV stand (a little over $100). The first scheduling the guy never showed up, so I reached out to Handy and rescheduled for tonight (2 days later). It happened again. This time I received a message that the handyman had a babysitting conflict and had to cancel at the very last minute. If you go to the app store, you will find that this experience is quite common with many people that have had similar occurrences. I really wish that I would have done my research first, but since they were associated with Wayfair, I thought they would be vetted. At this point, I am going to request a full refund so that I can find a reputable company to work with to assemble my TV stand otherwise I might as well return it.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Walmart contracted them to put a curio together here in Lakeland, FL. Two women came out very late saying they couldn't find it (the street address couldn't be any simpler). After 3 hours they had partially assembled only the top part, then told Bob the door didn't fit, told him to request more time for them (for them to get paid more than the 100) and left.

We got it out and looked at it and the door would have fit fine, but these "professionals" who told him they are housecleaners, had put the piece of wood the latches go on in the back and then made extra screw holes by putting the cardboard on. It was glued and screwed. They absolutely ruined the piece and took off and turned the job in as complete. When I called the number, the woman on the phone said they turned it in as complete and in the next breath said I don't exist in their system, I need to call Walmart. I told her no I don't, it was Handy who sent these "professionals" out. She had the nerve to ask if I wanted more of their "professionals" to come out. What a joke and I plan to turn it in to the attorney general. She also told me to call another number and gave me the number I called. So I have a brand new destroyed curio.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I beg you, use another service. They cancelled on me 4 times. Missed my son's birthday. then finally showed up and the guy they send, just ** the entire time about how little money they get paid. Very bad service and experience.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Save your money and peace of mind and stay away from this service! The pros you chose are rarely the ones who actually show up. Handy makes changes to your booking, always within 24h from the appointment, without ANY notifications and if you cancel or reschedule because you're not happy with the pro they automatically assign they will charge you penalty fees. You should be able to choose who you let in your home for a service YOU PAY for. I have opted for only females, but was constantly assigned men, and when I contacted customer service to ensure that that doesn't happen, they said that the pros are independent contractors and they cannot guarantee anything. The gender preference is just a preference, not a hard rule.

To make matters worse, I was recently threatened by one of their pros because I didn't cancel a booking to which she didn't want to come because I was too far and it wasn't worth it for her, and she wanted me to change it because she didn't want to pay Handy a 40$ refusal fee. She said repeatedly "Just wait, I know where you live", when I didn't respond to her request immediately. Days later Handy has still not responded to any of my emails. A disgrace.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I purchased some furniture off of Wayfair. This was the service that was provided for the installation. They have rescheduled and canceled me about four times now. This is so unprofessional!! It’s been about 10 days since the furniture was delivered and I was sitting here with nobody to come out and assemble it! Will never use Wayfair because of this issue.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I made a booking on Monday evening for Tuesday morning cleaning. I was given a male cleaner and I cancelled immediately as I am a lady that lives alone, and we are still in lockdown and I feel unsafe to have a male cleaner in my flat. They charged me rebooking fee £20 for a 3 hour clean. I wrote an email to them saying it was because the Handy website wouldn't let me choose the cleaner so I had to cancel (if you use the app you can choose cleaners though, I only realised that after). It is a terrible experience as I have used so many cleaning services before and none of them would not give you options to choose your own cleaner.

I also had set female cleaners as my priority and that just didn't work! They could have not accepted the booking if there were no female cleaners around. When I made the complaint they gave no leniency and ignored my concern and just pointed out this is their rigid cancellation policy. They really should look into their poor design of their website. They just wanted money and do not care about customers' concerns at all.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Don’t use Handy. They will reschedule without you knowing and then the Pros never show up. I couldn’t even get my first cleaning after signing up because workers (Pros) cancel or don’t show up. Horrible service.

Original review: March 17, 2021

HEED MY WARNING: It has been 4 weeks and one day since Handy, the worst home repair service out here, has marred the walls of my apartment and refuses to fix the damage. It has been more than 6 weeks since the FIRST unprofessional, irresponsible, inept, bumbling, worker who originally wreaked havoc on my walls.

Handy, the absolute worst repair service on the market, sent a guy named Yuri to my home who was clueless about hanging a shelf. I gave him all the details that he needed before he arrived. He still came unprepared. For an item that required 6 holes in a concrete wall, he drilled 19 and then did not have the equipment to repair the damage, so in the middle of the install he leaves to get supplies to repair the damage and then was incapable of finishing the the job that he destroyed.

Yuri left me with 13 nickel sized holes in my wall and then just left. Then I discovered that Yuri not only damaged my walls and then just left but he didn't even hang the shelf securely! It precariously hung above my head where I had to walk past it everyday multiple times with the fear that it would fall on my head. In addition, he also left an incredible mess everywhere. During the three weeks that it took for Handy to send someone to repair the damage, myself or my dogs could have been killed by this extremely heavy shelf that was precariously installed above my head.

After 3 WEEKS of complaints, arguments, filling out the same forms multiple times talking to multiple people who were just as confused about their job as Yuri was, Handy's dispute department told me that they didn't know how to rectify the situation themselves and there was nothing else they could do. CB2 tried and failed to rectify the situation a couple of times. Finally they were able to get someone from HomeAdvisor, which is apparently the same company as Handy, to come and repair what the last guy destroyed.

Marcel fixed the shelf so that it wouldn't fall, then started the repairs on the wall. Marcel took pictures of the semi finished job and said that he would submit the report that he had to return to complete the repairs, and no surprise, Handy never followed through. The end result: after 6 weeks of fussing and arguing with these people: my perfect, newly renovated, smooth wall that Handy destroyed, now has holes, bumps, lumps, and chunks of wet dried paint hanging from the shelves. HANDY destroyed my property. They should never be allowed into anyone's home to repair anything. These are potentially dangerous and clearly destructive people who are NOT professionals at all. These are clearly handymen who couldn't get jobs anywhere else so they fall in the lap of Handy.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I purchased installation services of a light through Wayfair that used Handy. One installer was to arrive at 7 AM. He did not show and I had to open up a chat box to communicate with Handy Rep. who told me that the installer would not make it. I rescheduled on a Saturday, only to have the same thing happen. Another No Show and I had to communicate online with someone to find out why no one showed- again. The company charged me for the service and no one ever showed to do the work. I cancelled the third appointment and hired my own electrician. I wish I would have known they were so bad at getting the job done up front, it would have saved me weeks waiting for them to get someone to my house to work.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I scheduled a cleaning 1/19/2021 and enjoyed the cleaners. I scheduled a future cleaning and Handy charged me for those cleanings in advance. They refunded my $128 x 2 on 1/22/2021 and I cancelled all services at that time. I never used them again. 3/1/2021 I received a email stating that I had an appointment scheduled for 3/3/2021 which I don't. I have not used that service for over a month. They charged me $99 for a cancellation fee 3/2/2021. I emailed them not to charge me for anything, but they did. This was an unauthorized charge and this company is very underhanded.

Handy Company Information