Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Handy is an online marketplace for discovering local cleaning and handyman services. With Handy, you can find companies or services based on ratings and other search factors in your area, including filters for specialized services like TV mounting,

BOTTOM LINE

Handy is a professional cleaning and handyman service that matches users with the service that they need. Its prices are vague and depend on size and service, but the app can be a great way to find qualified companies.

PROS

• Free service if you’re dissatisfied
  • Variety of services available
  • Easy-to-use app

CONS

• Vague pricing

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is Handy?

Handy is a leading online platform for finding professional, background-checked cleaning or handy work. It’s a convenient platform that helps customers quickly find quality help. Handy’s happiness guarantee promises that the company will try its best to match you with qualified professionals in your city to solve your handy or cleaning needs quickly. Handy is in 28 cities nationwide — check the company's website to see if it's available in your area.

How does Handy work?

The easiest way to use Handy is through its mobile device app. Once you download the app, you can select your desired service — options include full-house cleaning, partial-house cleaning and handy services, including assembling furniture.

After Handy matches you with professionals in your area, you can select a time that works best for you, and Handy takes your payment securely online.

Handy cleaning prices

Handy has a variety of pricing structures, including one-time services and scheduled cleaning plans for monthly or biweekly visits. Handy’s prices vary based on your house's size and your cleaning specifications, but it does charge a $15 fee if you cancel between 24 hours and two hours before your appointment. If you cancel at the time of your appointment, you must pay full price.

Handy has a strong customer support policy and offers a free second visit if you have complaints about your service. It also has 24/7 customer support and can be reached easily by email.

Handy FAQ

How much is Handy?
    Handy’s prices vary based on the service. For cleaning, the size of your house also affects the cost.
    Who owns Handy?
    ANGI Homeservice Inc. owns Handy.
    Does HomeAdvisor own Handy?
    HomeAdvisor and Handy are owned by the same parent company, ANGI Homeservices.
    Does Handy do background checks?
    Yes, Handy does background checks to vet its professionals.

Is Handy legit?

Yes, Handy is a legit way to find cleaning and handy services in the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada. It conducts a lengthy screening process for all of its handymen and cleaning professionals that includes credit and background checks. If you need to find cleaning services or have small jobs that need to be done around your house, we recommend looking on Handy for local professionals.

Handy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?

Original review: April 8, 2021

I beg you, use another service. They cancelled on me 4 times. Missed my son's birthday. then finally showed up and the guy they send, just ** the entire time about how little money they get paid. Very bad service and experience.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Save your money and peace of mind and stay away from this service! The pros you chose are rarely the ones who actually show up. Handy makes changes to your booking, always within 24h from the appointment, without ANY notifications and if you cancel or reschedule because you're not happy with the pro they automatically assign they will charge you penalty fees. You should be able to choose who you let in your home for a service YOU PAY for. I have opted for only females, but was constantly assigned men, and when I contacted customer service to ensure that that doesn't happen, they said that the pros are independent contractors and they cannot guarantee anything. The gender preference is just a preference, not a hard rule.

To make matters worse, I was recently threatened by one of their pros because I didn't cancel a booking to which she didn't want to come because I was too far and it wasn't worth it for her, and she wanted me to change it because she didn't want to pay Handy a 40$ refusal fee. She said repeatedly "Just wait, I know where you live", when I didn't respond to her request immediately. Days later Handy has still not responded to any of my emails. A disgrace.

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I purchased some furniture off of Wayfair. This was the service that was provided for the installation. They have rescheduled and canceled me about four times now. This is so unprofessional!! It’s been about 10 days since the furniture was delivered and I was sitting here with nobody to come out and assemble it! Will never use Wayfair because of this issue.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I made a booking on Monday evening for Tuesday morning cleaning. I was given a male cleaner and I cancelled immediately as I am a lady that lives alone, and we are still in lockdown and I feel unsafe to have a male cleaner in my flat. They charged me rebooking fee £20 for a 3 hour clean. I wrote an email to them saying it was because the Handy website wouldn't let me choose the cleaner so I had to cancel (if you use the app you can choose cleaners though, I only realised that after). It is a terrible experience as I have used so many cleaning services before and none of them would not give you options to choose your own cleaner.

I also had set female cleaners as my priority and that just didn't work! They could have not accepted the booking if there were no female cleaners around. When I made the complaint they gave no leniency and ignored my concern and just pointed out this is their rigid cancellation policy. They really should look into their poor design of their website. They just wanted money and do not care about customers' concerns at all.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Don’t use Handy. They will reschedule without you knowing and then the Pros never show up. I couldn’t even get my first cleaning after signing up because workers (Pros) cancel or don’t show up. Horrible service.

Original review: March 17, 2021

HEED MY WARNING: It has been 4 weeks and one day since Handy, the worst home repair service out here, has marred the walls of my apartment and refuses to fix the damage. It has been more than 6 weeks since the FIRST unprofessional, irresponsible, inept, bumbling, worker who originally wreaked havoc on my walls.

Handy, the absolute worst repair service on the market, sent a guy named Yuri to my home who was clueless about hanging a shelf. I gave him all the details that he needed before he arrived. He still came unprepared. For an item that required 6 holes in a concrete wall, he drilled 19 and then did not have the equipment to repair the damage, so in the middle of the install he leaves to get supplies to repair the damage and then was incapable of finishing the the job that he destroyed.

Yuri left me with 13 nickel sized holes in my wall and then just left. Then I discovered that Yuri not only damaged my walls and then just left but he didn't even hang the shelf securely! It precariously hung above my head where I had to walk past it everyday multiple times with the fear that it would fall on my head. In addition, he also left an incredible mess everywhere. During the three weeks that it took for Handy to send someone to repair the damage, myself or my dogs could have been killed by this extremely heavy shelf that was precariously installed above my head.

After 3 WEEKS of complaints, arguments, filling out the same forms multiple times talking to multiple people who were just as confused about their job as Yuri was, Handy's dispute department told me that they didn't know how to rectify the situation themselves and there was nothing else they could do. CB2 tried and failed to rectify the situation a couple of times. Finally they were able to get someone from HomeAdvisor, which is apparently the same company as Handy, to come and repair what the last guy destroyed.

Marcel fixed the shelf so that it wouldn't fall, then started the repairs on the wall. Marcel took pictures of the semi finished job and said that he would submit the report that he had to return to complete the repairs, and no surprise, Handy never followed through. The end result: after 6 weeks of fussing and arguing with these people: my perfect, newly renovated, smooth wall that Handy destroyed, now has holes, bumps, lumps, and chunks of wet dried paint hanging from the shelves. HANDY destroyed my property. They should never be allowed into anyone's home to repair anything. These are potentially dangerous and clearly destructive people who are NOT professionals at all. These are clearly handymen who couldn't get jobs anywhere else so they fall in the lap of Handy.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I purchased installation services of a light through Wayfair that used Handy. One installer was to arrive at 7 AM. He did not show and I had to open up a chat box to communicate with Handy Rep. who told me that the installer would not make it. I rescheduled on a Saturday, only to have the same thing happen. Another No Show and I had to communicate online with someone to find out why no one showed- again. The company charged me for the service and no one ever showed to do the work. I cancelled the third appointment and hired my own electrician. I wish I would have known they were so bad at getting the job done up front, it would have saved me weeks waiting for them to get someone to my house to work.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I scheduled a cleaning 1/19/2021 and enjoyed the cleaners. I scheduled a future cleaning and Handy charged me for those cleanings in advance. They refunded my $128 x 2 on 1/22/2021 and I cancelled all services at that time. I never used them again. 3/1/2021 I received a email stating that I had an appointment scheduled for 3/3/2021 which I don't. I have not used that service for over a month. They charged me $99 for a cancellation fee 3/2/2021. I emailed them not to charge me for anything, but they did. This was an unauthorized charge and this company is very underhanded.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I wish I checked reviews before ever booking them. They advertise a service that you're not going to get and then they charge you a cancelation fee and won't talk to you on the phone! I signed up for their cleaning service and they sent someone that not only didn't have any kind of cleaning training but she actually left my place dirtier after she was there. She used this white cleaning powder that was left in every nook and cranny!! It's legitimately everywhere!! And they want me to trust them (who I can't even talk to on the phone) to send someone else over? No chance in hell! This is my HOME.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

Booked a time for repair of cracked pipe. A few hours before the appointment they notified me that they couldn't find anyone to come out so they rescheduled me for 2 days later. Fortunately it was an outdoor pipe spewing out the water. The next appointment went the exact same way. Canceled at the last minute. I think they schedule appointments and hope they can find someone. The only thing they were prompt about was getting my credit card info.

I emailed Handy and told them I wanted a discount because of their delays. They kindly sent me a coupon for $10 towards my NEXT service job. As if I was ever going to use them again. A friend and I figured out a temporary fix and we did the job ourselves in about 15 minutes and less than $10. The customer service rep speaks fluent bureaucracy. I'd get responses like "This comment has been added to your file". NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

Handy service for Lowe's will change your appointments without any approval, miss appointments and never call (in sw Florida, no bad weather here to blame it on). When you call they can't contact or find the installer they contracted to do the job. Lowe's executive customer service (they set this last appointment that was missed today). It's a shame a company the size of Lowes uses such an unreliable. Mr Ellison CEO of Lowes.... you need to dump "Handy" as your service provider.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

My experience was nothing short of awful. Do not waste your time with this app and services. I spoke with a woman from Handy who recommended move out cleaning services as I was looking for someone to clean my empty studio apartment. This was time sensitive as I am being charged for additional days in my old apartment. My first "pro" was a no show and getting hold of someone at Handy is nearly impossible. I finally get an email back that they rescheduled my service for 2 days later.

No one contacted me to ask my availability and the new cleaning appointment was not at all convenient for me. After arranging for someone else to meet the housekeeper for me I get a call from my "pro" saying he will not do the work unless I pay an additional $90 over the quoted price. Can you say extortion??? Finally I check my bank statement and see I have been charged for all these services that were never performed. After again trying to get hold of a contact at Handy, I was finally able to get my charge reversed. When I explained that all these delays is costing me extra rent and asked for additional accommodation or compensation I was given merely $5 for future services. Horrible customer service and follow thru. DO NOT BOTHER.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

We booked an appointment with Handy to install a light fixture through Wayfair at a stated cost of $135. A week later Handy added an extra $440 charge to our credit card. When we tried to get an explanation, their customer "service" group was unable to provide one. We had to go through Wayfair to straighten it out, as it was Handy that originated the charge. The installation itself never happened. After sending many unsolicited texts and emails to confirm our appointment Handy then changed it to a late night appointment, which we didn't want. It took (no exaggeration) 24 emails to get a new appointment at a rational time. Handy then cancelled that appointment half an hour before the electrician was due to arrive.

We rescheduled again for two weeks later. Once again Handy cancelled the appointment less than an hour before it was supposed to happen. We said we wanted the service cancelled and our money refunded. Now Handy is saying they can't process a refund, it has to go through Wayfair--which we know isn't true. Who knows whether we'll get our money back. The upshot: If you want to get charged five times the stated amount for service that then never happens, by all means use Handy. Otherwise use anyone else.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Verbal talk with Handy.com representative named Josh. Guaranteed licensed electrician and no charges until service completed. Person who contacted me was not an electrician. Handy.com charged me immediately on 2/17 when service was scheduled for 2/18. Company is a scam....breached our verbal agreement. No contract signed.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

After two last minute cancellations, a cleaner finally arrived at my house and did a terrible job. They didn't even touch the floors or the shower. Now it will cost me $99 to buy out of the contract. This company is a joke.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

We purchased a piece of furniture that was to be assembled by Handy. The furniture was delivered on time, but the assembly date by Handy has been cancelled and rescheduled 4 times in the last week. We completely cancelled the service man and are now left to find someone on our own. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Terrible!! Cancelled twice with no notice. Can not call them you have to communicate by email. Unprofessional and unreliable. All they offer to do is give you $10 towards a future service and tell you to rebook online. Very frustrated and unhappy.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I purchased a wall unit from Wayfair. They are partnered with Handy for assembly. The instructions said 2 people are needed for assembly. Handy sends one person. He is there for two hours, said he has to go, the job is was incomplete. The tv HDMI cord was snapped. So I had to go buy a new cord for $30. In the meantime I call Wayfair to tell them their partner didn't complete the job. They speak to Handy and said, "We need 48 hrs to send new people out." I said I'm not waiting that long. They magically find two people for the next day. I receive a text the following day confirming the appt. time. 20 minutes later they send another text cancelling the appt.

So I call Wayfair again, at this point I said I want the assembly fee reimbursed. They wouldn't not reimburse it or give me any sort of good faith credit. They wouldn't do anything. Do not purchase from Wayfair as they don't stand by their providing services. So one guy shows up and doesn't have the correct tools to hang the unit. The nonsense goes on and on!!! So now, I am making my 6th phone call to Wayfair... Work still isn't complete, no refunds granted... Do not buy from Wayfair! Since they are contracted with Handy...

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

BEWARE! This company does plumbing work in TEXAS without a valid Responsible Master Plumber Licensee. They do plumbing work and installations of plumbing fixtures for Lowe's by using sub-contractors. In Texas to be at a jobsite on your own a person either has to be a responsible master plumber or a licensed plumber (not an apprentice registrant) working under a responsible master plumber. Handy does not have an RMP listed under their name for Texas (as the law requires). Most of the their contractors are not RMPs, not work under an RMP.

For your safety and your property, ask every plumbing contractor to show you a license and a photo ID to make sure it is the same person. If the license says anything, but RESPONSIBLE MASTER PLUMBER verify the name and company on the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners website at the following link - ** and report to the board. There have been multiple complaints against them with the Texas Plumbing Board about working with contractors not authorized to be on your property on their own! It is for your safety!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I just gone thru my second cleaning with Handy APP. I don't even know why I signed up. Both occasions, the cleaning crew rushed the job and missed just about the most important things in cleaning. Kitchen and bathrooms. The first one never touched the bathtub and didn't even vacuum the rug I have in the bathroom. I have three beds without box springs, they never even touched it. At the end, I have dust bunnies under the bed, all around the corner of the walls. Kitchen oven was requested and paid extra. They didn't even bother to clean both times. My glass dining room table still have streaks left from them wiping it down. Floor are left with streaks everywhere. Save yourself from the hassles and indignity and hire someone outright. I am going back to my old cleaner. She is busy, but I can wait for better services.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Took a day off from work to be home for furniture assembly. The "professional" never arrived or contacted me. I attempted to call them and their listed number was fake. Handy offered NO excuse as to why my "professional" was a no show. Now I have a box of furniture sitting in my living room. Go Elsewhere!!!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I started using Handy to clean my apartment as a working mom, keeping up at home has been hard. I have a lot on my plate and was looking to simplify and eat an extra cost if it meant I didn't have to struggle so much. One of their cleaners accidentally spilled an wall plug in on my wooden hutch. The oils stripped the wood and completely ruined my solid wood EXPENSIVE hutch.

I was horrified and immediately reached out to Handy, as you pay for insurance for each cleaning. It took days for them to reply and after many back and forth emails, mainly me continuing to email without reply they sent a handy man to fix it. He did not fix it and left me with stain and a tiny paintbrush (that I had to buy) to try to fill in the stripped wood with stain. This took hours to do. It did not work as this is not how you fix this kind of damage. I reached out to handy with more pictures and they assured me they would take care of it. - This is after weeks of me sending emails pleading for help with this issue, getting automated emails saying that they received my email and gave me time frames for a reply that were rarely met.

They then needed an estimate to fix it. I told them this would take time which they assured me was fine. One recent email even said I had 30 days from December 30th. A few days later I got another email saying my case was closed because it was over 30 days. I gave the estimate and sent a long email. Mind you, it is still within the 30 day window. Since then I sent 4-5 emails (at least). They won't reply at all now. I am now left with a very upsetting damage in my home. An extremely stressful back and forth and I am left helpless as they just refuse to respond. This lack of accountability is unsettling and upsetting. Mind you I am still obligated to continue and pay for cleanings.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Omg this company is the worst, so I schedule a cleaning for 12-12-20 at 3pm and the lady said she wouldn't be able to make it, to cancel the appointment. So I did I haven't gotten my refund back. I also had a booking for today 12-23-20 at 2pm and no one showed up. But guess what they took the money out my account. The communication is terrible too. Everything is and email no phone number. I tried to cancel the service and they want to charge me 99.00 to cancel like really you have about 200.00 already. I'm so upset.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Don't use this service!!!! No one shows after they confirm appointment. A recording calls 2 hours before scheduled time to say they have no one coming! They continue to charge for future appointments that they don't keep. If you want to cancel there is a $99 fee!!! In my opinion, total scam! Reporting to BBB.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

This “Handy” company is unreliable and not worth the time and money you have to pay for their non-existent service! I (re)scheduled my appointment for an install on 12/1 at 1 pm. Handy confirmed my appointment and sent me a reminder via email for the above mentioned day and time. Much to MY SURPRISE, the “handy pro” was a NO-SHOW and they rescheduled my “handy pro” service to another day and time (@7:30pm!) without any notice or preapproval from me! REALLY?!!? How do they know my personal schedule??? They better refund me ALL of my money cause I will not use or refer them to anyone EVER!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Stay clear of this company. There is no real commitment to provide the service you are looking for. You think you can count on the agreed upon service, then the morning of the expected service, nobody shows up. I tried 4 separate times (4th time just as a test). Never did the cleaning service show up. The first one failed me the final day we had to be out of our house upon sale. Needless to say, this failed service was a real inconvenience. After the failed appointments, I received inquiries from Handy, as if they really cared. The responses were automated canned responses. What a joke. Save yourself the disappointment and go with another cleaning service.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Just terrible! First off, the person who they sent had a definite affect and was not a mentally stable person. I say this With no judgment, but the person had such a significant affect, that I did not feel safe. In four hours she cleaned a very small bathroom and a very small kitchen. She cleaned a few surfaces in the dining room and in a living room. None of the bedrooms the halls or any other areas were cleaned. This was my first cleaning with this service. Handy offers a first cleaning discount when You go into a six month contract with them. After this experience they are trying to charge me $100 to cancel the contract. Needless to stay I will be disputing this with my credit card company. After this first experience I never wanna deal with them again.

In no way was I going to continue with a contract for five additional cleanings with this company when they sent out someone who is this incapable of cleaning my house. She was continuously interrupting me, I was working from home, and she was Insistent on showing me what she cleaned. I was on a phone call, a business phone call, she saw the phone to my ear, but she interrupted trying to show me she clean the tub. That was bonkers....I cannot believe anyone would even do that. When she came in I also showed her where all the cleaning supplies were, yet she was asking me to go retrieve and get supplies for her while I was working.

When I tried to not acknowledge her conversations and continue with my day, she was Insistent that I knowledged everything she cleaned to such a demanding level. It took numerous, numerous emails back-and-forth with Handy to knowledge that this was a ridiculously Unprofessional Cleaning that I had. It took even more emails for them to refund my credit card, only after I Let them know that I would report them to the Better Business Bureau as well as American Express.

I did get a refund. I should get more because of the aggravation. I cannot tell you, I cannot urge you enough to not do business with handy. You don’t know who’s coming into your house. I keep a very neat house but because of work Demands, I like to have the aid of a cleaning service once a month. This was a frightening experience but a Lesson learned. I have had cleaners for the last 30 years. Some good some very good but never as bad as this experience.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

First time I used Handy was in 2019 after a Wayfair purchase. Pro did a great job and the charge was reasonable. This time Handy charged $160 for what I needed done, but no pro would take the easy job. Reason? They would have only been paid $30 for it. Cancelled it and put it together myself. Won’t use Handy again.

Handy Company Information