Handy

Handy Reviews

About Handy

Handy is an online marketplace for discovering local cleaning and handyman services. With Handy, you can find companies or services based on ratings and other search factors in your area, including filters for specialized services like TV mounting,

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Free service if you’re dissatisfied
  • Variety of services available
  • Easy-to-use app
Cons
  • Vague pricing

What is Handy?

Handy is a leading online platform for finding professional, background-checked cleaning or handy work. It’s a convenient platform that helps customers quickly find quality help. Handy’s happiness guarantee promises that the company will try its best to match you with qualified professionals in your city to solve your handy or cleaning needs quickly. Handy is in 28 cities nationwide — check the company's website to see if it's available in your area.

How does Handy work?

The easiest way to use Handy is through its mobile device app. Once you download the app, you can select your desired service — options include full-house cleaning, partial-house cleaning and handy services, including assembling furniture.

After Handy matches you with professionals in your area, you can select a time that works best for you, and Handy takes your payment securely online.

Handy cleaning prices

Handy has a variety of pricing structures, including one-time services and scheduled cleaning plans for monthly or biweekly visits. Handy’s prices vary based on your house's size and your cleaning specifications, but it does charge a $15 fee if you cancel between 24 hours and two hours before your appointment. If you cancel at the time of your appointment, you must pay full price.

Handy has a strong customer support policy and offers a free second visit if you have complaints about your service. It also has 24/7 customer support and can be reached easily by email.

Handy FAQ

How much is Handy?

Handy’s prices vary based on the service. For cleaning, the size of your house also affects the cost.

Who owns Handy?

ANGI Homeservice Inc. owns Handy.

Does HomeAdvisor own Handy?

HomeAdvisor and Handy are owned by the same parent company, ANGI Homeservices.

Does Handy do background checks?

Yes, Handy does background checks to vet its professionals.

Is Handy legit?

Yes, Handy is a legit way to find cleaning and handy services in the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada. It conducts a lengthy screening process for all of its handymen and cleaning professionals that includes credit and background checks. If you need to find cleaning services or have small jobs that need to be done around your house, we recommend looking on Handy for local professionals.

Handy Reviews

Stars Rating

• 4%
  • 6%
  • 3%
  • 1%
  • 86%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?

Reviewed June 2, 2024

I recently bought a new bed online and the retailer suggested I contact Handy.com. I did and they asked for a $117 payment upfront. Without thinking this through, paying some for a service they didn’t perform is a HUGE red flag that I have warned others no to do, bad on me. I had a family emergency and I canceled as soon as I remembered the appointment. I then got a charge against the card I gave them for the $117. They charged me $25 for canceling the appointment. I later learned the this is the newest incarnation of failed Angie’s List which changed to Angi.com. Guess that tanked too, probably because of tactics like this.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 24, 2024

Handy.com is a borderline scam. I’ve attempted to book a Handy “Pro” several times. Handy charges you up front, books your appointment then cancels your appointment 1/2 hour before the appointment time. They then, reschedule the appointment without your consent & the “Pro” would “not show up to work the day of your appointment again. It gets better, I requested a refund after missing 2 days of work & they gave me a 3 hour runaround on the phone, before they said they would refund me in 5 business days. After 5 days, they refunded only part of the amount I paid them for the job. DO NOT USE HANDY.COM. They are running a scam & should be investigated!!

Get buying tips about Home Improvement Contractors delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Profile pic of the author.
      Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 15, 2024

Booked housecleaning service. 10 minutes before the appointment, a guy called and said he was the replacement for the Pro, who had cancelled. But the new guy was going to be late. Tried chat. Kept disconnecting when they knew it was a complaint. I can’t say whether they are scamming or just incompetent at everything they do. But I’ll go elsewhere in the future.

Contract & Terms

Reviewed March 31, 2024

They did a good enough job, but I got charged $283 dollars for the next cleaning. NO WAY can I afford that, and it's impossible to get hold of them. I didn't know it was a contract with the company. I was supposed to get a special pricing through my job and didn't.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 8, 2024

I only had 2 good services from this company and after that it has been a nightmare. Constant cancelations from the cleaner's day of the cleaning and recently I wanted to try 1 more time and the person showed up with another person and tried to force me to pay them more upfront because they were not getting enough from Handy and the day before the cleaner called me and tried to get me to send photos of my house. This is not ok and made me feel unsafe and as if I was about to be a target of a robbery so I had 2 friends here with me.

Verified purchase
      Installation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2023

1st appointment no show. 2nd appointment, showed up 30 minutes late with no remorse and then refused the job because he claimed it wasn't properly described to him and that he didn't get paid enough. This was a Costco purchased service of installing a TV and in wall wiring. Unbelievable. Think twice before you use this service, as the vetting of their "pros" is subpar.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2023

I highly recommend reconsidering before engaging in any transactions with Handy/Angi. Our experience with their Haul Away Service, arranged through Walmart, left much to be desired. Despite Walmart indicating that the service was complimentary with a mattress purchase, the "professional" sent by Angi exploited the situation, demanding an extra fee under the pretext that King size mattresses were not covered. He insisted on a $60 payment, asserting that this was a discounted rate from the supposed standard $120, and warned of potential additional charges if the mattress was returned to Walmart.

To add insult to injury, the service provider urged me to approve an extra 1 hour and 45 minutes of comp time, even though the entire job took a mere 5 minutes, during which I assisted in loading the mattress. Following this incident, I reached out to both Walmart and Angi, and both agreed that such charges were unwarranted. While Angi committed to refunding the haul away fee, they refused to reimburse the $60 paid to their "professional."

Despite numerous attempts through calls and emails, it appears that Angi lacks concern for their customers, casting a shadow over their business values. I strongly discourage anyone from availing of their services to avoid falling prey to such deceptive practices. What's particularly concerning is that the individual responsible for this incident is still permitted to offer services in our residence, highlighting a lack of accountability. Instead of terminating his employment, Angi chose to let him continue, potentially scamming the next unsuspecting customer.

Moreover, the frustration was exacerbated by the offshore customer service, making communication with Angi even more challenging. Conversations with representatives in India, following a repetitive script, added to the overall dissatisfaction with the company's handling of the situation. Angi should strive for improvement in both service transparency and customer support, and reconsider the impact of their business practices on consumer trust.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2023

Tried to book a cleaning service, I got rude phone calls from the cleaner assigned to my case. I chatted with support who assured me they would assign a different person to my service. Instead, they canceled my booking without telling me and refuse to fix this situation. I am now out a cleaner I had been planning around, and all of my efforts to talk to someone about getting the situation resolved have failed. Experience with both chat and phone support has been horrific.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2023

Tried to use Handy three times, twice for cleaning and once for a handyman. Handyman cancelled last minute and I had to take off of work to get someone else to come out. Both cleaning people asked to show up 45+ minutes late—the first time I was able to wait but the second time I had to be at work. They refunded my money but that didn’t help me actually get the services complete. This company’s services are unfortunately not handy and I will not be using them again.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2023

I have requested specific pros according to their availability, and then at the last minute, the job gets picked up by someone else I don't know, and typically they don't do a good job cleaning. The company should notify the customer when a pro assigned to the job is no longer available instead of forcing you to either accept the new pro (who may or may not do a good job) or reschedule the cleaning and be charged a ridiculous $50 late rebooking fee. That's almost half of what they charge to clean my tiny studio. I have tried calling customer service several times, and they pass you around and put you on hold as soon as they figure out that you want to cancel. Now, after a 4th attempt, I am on the phone with an agent who wants to reassign my cleaning instead of canceling the service like I already asked. This is infuriating!

Handy Company Information