Handy

Handy Reviews

About Handy

Handy is an online marketplace for discovering local cleaning and handyman services. With Handy, you can find companies or services based on ratings and other search factors in your area, including filters for specialized services like TV mounting,

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Free service if you’re dissatisfied
  • Variety of services available
  • Easy-to-use app
Cons
  • Vague pricing

Handy Reviews

Stars Rating

• 3%
  • 5%
  • 3%
  • 1%
  • 88%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?
    Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2023

I have requested specific pros according to their availability, and then at the last minute, the job gets picked up by someone else I don't know, and typically they don't do a good job cleaning. The company should notify the customer when a pro assigned to the job is no longer available instead of forcing you to either accept the new pro (who may or may not do a good job) or reschedule the cleaning and be charged a ridiculous $50 late rebooking fee. That's almost half of what they charge to clean my tiny studio. I have tried calling customer service several times, and they pass you around and put you on hold as soon as they figure out that you want to cancel. Now, after a 4th attempt, I am on the phone with an agent who wants to reassign my cleaning instead of canceling the service like I already asked. This is infuriating!

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2023

I have had a terrible experience with Handy refunding money that I paid through ANGI for a purchase I made at Wayfair. Wayfair contracts using ANGI who partners with Wayfair through ANGI for assembly of furniture. I paid immediately in good faith for my furniture to be assembled. Twice they either didn’t show up or only sent 1 person (who was an hour late) but my item required 2 people. I was very unhappy and contacted Wayfair for help. They requested a refund for me and they were assured it would be forthcoming. It has now been a month and I still have not received my check. I have contacted Handy several times and each time, they say the check is in the mail. The latest email I received said if I don’t receive my refund within 5 WEEKS to reach out again. This is unacceptable and I would advise to never use this company as they are not committed to helping the customer.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2023

Paid Handy for a cleaning service weekly for 3 months. Cleared out my schedule on the days the ‘pros’ were coming. Each time the pro was a no show. One never showed and the other called and said she double booked and ‘would call me later if she could make it. Never heard back. Apparently they pay their contractors a fraction of the service price and this is the end result. Had to spend several sessions in their help chat before I was able to get my money back. Found someone local for 2/3 the price who actually shows up every week.

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2023

I signed up for cleaning services from Handy. The first cleaning scheduled; the cleaner texted me one hour before the appointment saying “she couldn’t come”. I was then rescheduled with another cleaner who cancelled two hours before. The third cleaner came and said she was “allergic to dogs” (there were no pets in my home!) and texted on the app “I have to leave” after only five minutes being there. When I tried contacting customer service 16 times, the two times someone finally picked up they didn’t speak English. There’s no way to email this scam of a company who charged my card three times for $118 for absolutely no services. This company is literally run by a bunch of criminals and needs to be shut down.

Reviewed July 15, 2023

I am very disappointed in the cleaning services I have recently received. I had a cleaner show up yesterday, Jakkie, and she left my home dirtier and almost ruined my fixtures. I sprayed cleaner on the fixtures before she arrived to make it easier for her to clean. She did not clean the fixtures, which could have caused corrosion. It seems "house cleaning" has become a scam to make quick cash without doing the work. Please do a better job vetting and training cleaners. However, the handyman service is outstanding. I have been extremely pleased with the services I have received. Unfortunately, the majority of the cleaners are awful.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed July 7, 2023

We ordered 2 TV, Mounts and installation service from Costco. Costco contracted Handy to get someone to do installation. It sounds like real. Handy sent emails and text to confirm the TV installation service, but there was no show when time comes. We tried to connect to the responsible person listed on Handy's email, the phone number is a dead one. When we called Handy, a lady claimed someone is on his way to our house and she even could see him on the map. Of course, this is all a lie. So, please do yourself a favor by trusting only your local companies with a real address and phone number for services. We will never use Handy again. Costco, etc. should remove Handy from their service list.

Reviewed June 30, 2023

We signed up for Handy's cleaning subscription. After one poor cleaning, we were awarded a make-up session - which was a no show. So we scheduled another make-up session. Again, another no show. Finally, we had enough and wanted to cancel, which we were charged a $99 cancellation fee.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 28, 2023

Legal action should be taken against Handy for what amounts to a repeated, organized theft against consumers. Please don't be lured in by their marketing gimmicks. They will charge you for services you never receive, services that don't meet basic expectations, services that not only don't accomplish the tasks you wanted, but sometimes leave you in a worse position than had you never used Handy in the first place. Their customer service (if it can be called that) is rude and irrational. They will blame you for Handy's gross incompetence and keep your money without blinking an eye. They don't have an interest in correcting their wrongs or even admitting what they did was wrong. Once they have your money, they could care less.

I used Handy for home cleaning services. The day of the cleaning, the person arrived 30 minutes late with no notice. When I opened the door, I saw a maybe 16 year old boy standing before me with nothing, but an itty bitty backpack - as if he had come over straight from school? He immediately stepped into my apartment without saying anything, threw his backpack into a corner and said "what do you want me to clean?" I told him that I had detailed everything that needed done in the app to which he replied he didn't have access to the app so he didn't know anything about this job. He also didn't have any cleaning supplies, which the app said he would supply. I had a few - but not enough to clean everything that needed cleaning. I gave him what I had mainly so that I could contact Handy and see if what I was experiencing was out of the ordinary.

I literally couldn't get a hold of anyone and was increasingly worried about the 16 year old with no cleaning supplies ability to effectively clean anything. I was right to be worried. In the time I had spent trying to contact Handy he somehow had managed to make my home more dirty than before he came including tearing a bag of trash that he tried carrying outside leaving a trail of garbage all the way down the hallway and pouring glass cleaner (?) all over the bathroom floor - like almost an entire bottle. There were HUGE puddles everywhere than would need to be soaked up with towels. At this point I was over it and asked him to leave which he did. I was promptly charged the full amount by Handy. I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to get a hold of them in various ways - phone, app, chat - and was given the runaround and disconnected multiple times.

When I finally was able to speak to someone I was elated as I figured anyone who heard the details of this experience would surely understand how ridiculous it all was. Nope. Handy claimed that according to them (?) the services had been rendered correctly. They wouldn't refund one penny and seemed to imply I was fabricating the story to receive a free house cleaning. They offered to give me a coupon off my next house cleaning at which time I informed them I would not only never be using their service again, but would inform every person I could about their scam business. I seriously think this is worst experience I've had with any business ever in my life. Please, do not ever use Handy for ANYTHING.

Reviewed April 29, 2023

My friend suggested I use Handy to book a cleaning for my friend's place after we had party there. Booking was easy, cleaner did poor job, my friend said not much was cleaned and trash was not taken out. Since this is one time service, I let it go and try to cancel service. This is where my nightmare begins. Handy does not let you cancel next cleaning, you can reschedule with a fee but you would have to do it every two weeks. After spending hours trying to cancel my membership- I had to delete my account- nothing else was available.

My friend moved out of that apartment but Handy continued to send cleaner every two weeks, without any email or text notification. The only way to find out that my account is still live is $256 dollars charges every two weeks on my cc. I am talking to the customer service and they are still not canceling or deleting my account. They are not helpful but opposing- they said they will try to send me different cleaner??!! I explained that this is for a friend who no longer lives there and I don’t need a cleaner for my place, I just need to cancel. It’s still an email battle but I am going to dispute with my CC. Do yourself a favor- don’t book them or read all of their policy and make sure you have no other cleaning options before you open an account because you can’t go back. You will be locked for months with the service that was terrible but not able to cancel.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed April 14, 2023

Weber Grills advertises Handy as a partner and Handy's FIXED $99 grill installation. Click through, book the appointment, and the installer quits after 2 hours, saying I need to extend the job and pay more. UNBELIEVABLE. The first person I spoke to on the phone was extremely rude and said she could not help because their systems were down. After contacting Weber (refused to stand by their partner's shoddy work and help out) and Home Depot (willing to step in even though it's not their fault), I finally got Handy chat support and they are going to send someone else out to finish the job. However, I will NEVER use Handy again and this review remains at 1 star because the consumer should not have to fight so hard to get what he was promised.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed April 5, 2023

After securing an appointment with Lowes for an installation appointment and no less than 8 text and email confirmations I flew down to NC the night before to be available for my set appointment. At 630 am I get a text saying that they are sorry but my appointment has been moved to Friday from Tuesday. That's great news as I will be back home in NY. Response from company have a neighbor or friend let the contractor in. REALLY...Stay away.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 30, 2023

Handy had a pro to provide cleaning services for me twice. The pro told me that he was the only one cleaning for Handy. After 2 cleanings, my pro never showed or cancelled with me the 3rd time. I was told after the fact and after I paid that he quit. They gave me a new time and date that didn't work for me so I rescheduled for this morning. Again, at the last minute, the person didn't show. Both times, I had taken time off work to make sure I was home.

I called customer service. They didn't want to help me at all, but finally after being passed off to the second person, they said they would credit my account for the call-off, as well as cancel my year commitment without penalizing me the $99. Well, they did credit my account, but say nothing in their follow-up email about cancelling my account. In fact, they say that my cleaning has been rescheduled. At this point, I don't want anyone from that company stepping foot in my home. I don't trust their words or actions at this point.

Reviewed March 28, 2023

The cleaners constantly cancel last minute or just don’t show up at all. The worst part is the cleaner will check in, making it look like they are at your house, so they can just steal your money, and Handy 100% allows this. The scariest part is these people who now can’t be trusted because they are doing shady stuff like this now have your address!!! This is an unsafe and unreliable business. It would be better to find a stranger off the street. Then after the cleaner doesn’t show, they still won’t refund you. Don’t risk it.

Reviewed March 16, 2023

This service is 1000% a scam, regardless of what cleaning service you select. I choose to select a home cleaning service through their app. They debited my account, and selected a cleaning pro for me prior to the date, standard. The scam comes in when whoever the pro was, checked in on the app, to make it look like they were indeed rendering the cleaning service, but never showed up, quite literally ghosted me, took my money, and did not show up at all to clean. This is clearly a well-practiced scam. I am now having to haggle with the customer service because the cleaning pro made it look like they checked in, and went through with the service, but the cleaning pro never showed up, and never replied to me.

Reviewed March 11, 2023

I was a pro at Angie's services / Handy and I worked for them, completed over 50 jobs. Anytime you need help from customer service as a pro working for them you might as well forget it and they suggest that if a customer needs help purchasing materials that you do such otherwise how are you going to complete the job but then if you don't pretty much work it out and get it out of the customer right then and there, guess who's going to help you get your money back or if you fight with them for a few days, you might get them to do something about it, there's one problem.

Second problem as a pro, they send you out on these jobs that requires two people to lift and move some things and they send you out there by yourself and just expect you to do it or figure it out yet you're supposed to have a background check in order to do this job. But I had to call my son and have him come help me move some stuff one day because they wouldn't send out another pro and not to mention about the background check thing, not proud of this. But I've had a warrant for a year, nothing bad. I'm not going to say what it's for and I'm not a bad person but I've had a warrant for a year while I work for this company. Today they kept sending me emails and texts over and over again asking me to update my payment information so I did this numerous times and then it kept telling me that I couldn't get my pay from them so I got a hold of customer service.

I wasn't the nicest about it but I was tired of getting ran around from them instead of them helping me. You know what they did - they kicked me off the platform and kept my $200 that they owed me, that I was supposedly harassing them about if you owe me money and it's payday, why am I the one person that has to suffer and not get my pay. So if you work for these guys, you might want to follow exactly everything I said and be real cautious. Don't ever purchase materials ahead of time for anybody cause you're going to go through problems trying to get your money back and for whatever sakes if they seem to think you're out of line for some reason, regardless what it is, apparently they will just kick you off the platform and keep your money, strong arm you basically.

I got strong-armed, Robbed via computer-based company. You know, it's pretty ridiculous that this place is still even existing. They need to be put out of business is probably what they need from all the other reviews I've seen on here. It looks like that's where they're headed cause nobody's had anything decent to say about them and everybody's had problems with them. I knew it wasn't just me. I didn't do anything wrong. I went out and did my job and worked for them and then you know, they didn't carry their end of the bargain as far as payment goes and then, in the end, turn around and ripped me off all together. I hope that somebody can do something about this. Nothing else, if it keeps another person from this happening to them, it's all worth it. I guess never felt so humiliated in my life I don't think.

Price

Reviewed March 2, 2023

This company is scamming, charging its subs 40 percent of every job and they keep the payments and come up with a excuse not to pay. 1 excuse is false back charge. The other is failed payment. You write to them and there is no contact number for their pro service app at Handy. Do not use this company. They are scammers.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2023

The technician Handy sent out was knowledgeable and friendly but incorrectly charged us for a service that was supposed to be covered by Handy. Handy's solution was to offer a $10 credit on a future service with them, followed by 50% of my service fee refunded in credits to be used on a future service. After much back and forth, they finally agreed to refund my fee but it took putting up a fight, which most people won't do. Really poor customer service.

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2023

Google apparently has a deal with Handy so that when your Nest thermostat detects issues with your HVAC system it alerts you and suggests you book the service with Handy. Since many HVAC contractors I've dealt with don't understand the Nest or blame any issues on the thermostats, I thought this was a good idea. Boy, was I wrong. I've been trying to book an appointment for almost a month, and as a result have had a constant stream of last-minute cancellations, reschedules and then Handy cancelling my request (while making it look like I wanted to cancel it) without refunding my deposit. I hope Google/Nest dumps them... I'd make this a zero-star review if I could. Support has been truly useless, with the best response being "oops, let us reschedule that for you". What a hassle!

Installation & SetupPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2023

I ordered carpet cleaning on Dec 30 and made the appointment for Jan 7, they immediately debited my checking account. Their contractor showed up and said he could not do the job. I rescheduled again, same result, no show. Then they wanted me to reschedule again, so I said, "No, please refund my payment." They refunded half; I contacted them and insisted on full refund, so they credited the other half. To my surprise, the next day, they debited my account again! So, now I have go through the trouble of disputing the charge. If I could give 0 rating, I would. My advice: save your money and time, do not use Handy. Find an alternative!!

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2023

I forecasted my appointment a week in advance since my HVAC was not blowing heat. Received an email a few days prior to the appointment indicating that it was rescheduled due to no techs nearby, this happened 3 or 4 more times throughout the month for the same reason. Just ended up buying a space heater to help heat house. The service provided by this company and the quality of the customer service provided has been atrocious, 3rd world like and if there was an option for 0 or negative stars on this review, I would have selected it.

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2023

I had planned for this cleaning for a month and two hours into it, the person was still not there. I tried reaching out multiple times. Nothing. When I told customer service, they did not rectify or even show that they're listening to what I'm saying at all. It was horrendous. And so stressful because as I explained to them my time is so tight. I planned so much around this. And my wife is coming home tomorrow so I need the place sparkling clean for her. They did not understand or do anything. Even when I asked to cancel everything and refund me fully. It was beyond frustrating. I do not recommend using Handy at all.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2023

I booked for HVAC (Furnace issues) through Nest. Kept canceling appointment multiple at last minutes though it was even assured over the phone. Message says - due to last minute issues…. I had to cancel and find somebody else. They are very irresponsible. Looks like untrained and unprofessional staffs. They kept transferring phone to each other multiple times when I asked them to remove my banking information and still the problem was not solved. Amount was already charged on my card even without the contractor visiting my home. My point is - if you can’t provide the service, DON'T Book an appointment. Wasted my and my tenant's 2 days time.

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2023

I made an hvac appt through Handy, but was then able to get a sooner appt elsewhere. When I canceled my appt with Handy and requested a refund of my $74.00 fee, they said they would issue a refund card, whatever that is. It turns out that, in the fine print of their customer service agreement, they don’t give refunds, only credit for future service. Totally deceptive practice. They took my money for a service not performed and I have no intention of ever using them again. They refuse to issue me a refund. This is theft by other means.

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2023

Bought a bed thru Wayfair. Paid for HANDY services to build my bed. The delivery of bed was delayed by several days thru Fedex so I DID NOT use Handy services. When I called HANDY to ask for a refund for services that I NEVER USED, they refused to refund my money because they stated it was "Not Their Fault". After 4 phone calls, 2 emails, and a 3 way phone call with Handy and Wayfair (which they hung up on both myself and Wayfair), Wayfair ended up sending me a refund in order to do what is right. Wayfair will now try to get refund from Handy on their own as they realize it was Handy's responsibility to offer the refund. I don't understand why Wayfair is still using Handy on their orders. Handy is a fraud and a dishonorable company.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2022

Talk with handyman over the phone, said he could not do the work for the amount asked. Said then, "We have to cancel." I said ok. The company then charge me for a service that was not done and would not return my money, had to dispute through credit card and would not talk with me until I drop the credit card dispute.

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2022

I contacted Handy to ensure they had someone in my area before booking. I was told they did. Handy scheduled 4 times and no one showed up any of those times. They send an email later and say the pro had something come up when in fact, no one ever took the job. After the 4th time, they told me they were canceling my job. Two weeks later, a charge appeared on my credit card for their service. I am working with Wayfair to have that refunded. Not a trusted company, in my opinion.

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2022

Worst experience of my entire life. 3 different people from Google's partner company (Handy) have come to my house to try to get my thermostat to work and I still can't use my furnace in the middle of winter. I had to buy space heaters to try to keep my house warm.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed Dec. 14, 2022

Installation scheduled for Monday and cancelled last minute, rescheduled for Wednesday and cancelled again at the last minute. Zero confidence in this company. Huge heavy item in boxes in the middle of my living room. Unprofessional company that does not care about its customers.

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2022

Sent one gal out to hang a 85 inch TV. Called customer service. Said there was nothing they could do. Do not hire this company. The service gal really nice and friendly just was no experience to hang that large of TV. Buyer beware on this one.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2022

Scheduled my appt for today at 1:00 pm so I can be home once the pro would arrive to clean the home. I reached out through the chat to confirm my appt for today and the rep stated that no pros were available in my area after taking my money and guaranteed my scheduled time would be accommodated. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way at all and I am very upset about the lack of service this company has provided. Rep stated that they couldn't help me, offered a reschedule 2 days later that wouldn't work with my schedule and basically told me that there was nothing I could do.

I told them cancel the cleaning, refund my money (Which of course, according to them would take 3-5 business days) and I never want them to contact me ever again. Why would you take consumers' money knowing that you cannot guarantee a job will be completed because these are independent contractors that you employ. I will never use their services. I don't care if they paid me to, NEVER AGAIN. Please do not use this company at all!!

Handy Company Information