Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Help me decide

1.1/5 (76 ratings)
Find a Home Improvement Contractors partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Handy

Handy is an online marketplace for discovering local cleaning and handyman services. With Handy, you can find companies or services based on ratings and other search factors in your area, including filters for specialized services like TV mounting,

Pros

• Free service if you’re dissatisfied
  • Variety of services available
  • Easy-to-use app

Cons

• Vague pricing

Bottom Line

Handy is a professional cleaning and handyman service that matches users with the service that they need. Its prices are vague and depend on size and service, but the app can be a great way to find qualified companies.

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Handy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Handy?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Hired to remove and replace small slab of concrete for sidewalk repair. First guy never finished job and left safety hazard. Two more guys sent out to my house and met with me but never returned. Left molds creating significant tripping hazard and bag of 100lb concrete. Total Cost more to remove the bad job than it would have cost if done correct the first time. Three separate meeting with handymen was waste of time and time from my job. Customer service had no answers and just hung up.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I bought the 6 month package. First cleaning pro was great! Second, left a hour early, didn’t clean the bathrooms.. and used Pledge on the floor! They have a guarantee on their website, and if you are dissatisfied they will send another pro at no charge. They didn’t do that. They gave me $20 off and made me pay for the next pro. Who, 1.5 hours before arrival, cancelled. STAY AWAY!!! They charged me $99 cancellation fee for wanting to cancel inconsistent service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

They really shouldn’t promise what they can’t provide! I specially planned my day to be home for the first cleaning TWICE, to be told last minute that the cleaning has been cancelled – I was even sent confirmation and the name of my cleaner – and they were certainly quick to take my money knowing that they wouldn’t deliver, and now say it will take a few weeks for the refund. To say that I am disappointed in this company is an understatement!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

This company started spamming my inbox a few weeks ago. They are impossible to contact by phone and their email customer service response was useless. I requested them to remove me from their mailing list. They claimed: "We have unsubscribed that email address from our marketing list. Please keep in mind that this means we have unsubscribed {your email}. Additionally, even with this change you'll still receive transactional Handy emails, i.e. booking confirmations and refund notifications." So basically they are not unsubscribing me and not only that, I am still receiving the goddamned emails. I filed a complaint with the FTC for violation of the CAN-SPAM act of 2003. If I'm ever in New York, I'm going to their office and I'm going to annoy everyone there. Absolutely unacceptable business practice.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

After requesting mulitple times to stop receiving solicitations they continue to badger all of my employees. There is no CSR phone number to contact either. They abuse the email marketing. No CSR number, and no response to requests to stop emailing us for solicitations.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

Bought a Google Nest Outdoor (battery operated) Camera from the Google site and opted for the installation for $99...which in itself is robber, but I digress. They outsourced or used a 3rd party contractor. We've had stuff installed before by Dish and other contracted companies/people. For the camera, Handyman was chosen. The day of, no one showed up. When I called, the lady offered no apology and simply stated they would reschedule me and NOT CHARGE ME. I was confused, when would any company charge someone for their employee not showing up and doing what is expected of them. The installer never showed up. So they rescheduled and took 10% off for the next day. An hour before, I got a message stating they had to reschedule for 2 days later instead, because they could not find a "professional" to install. I had to take both days off to be here, essentially costing me money.

They also sent me 2x "you have successfully canceled your appointment" when in fact the first one was rescheduled, the second, I wasn't even consulted...they just rescheduled for me. I called them and had them cancel it altogether. I asked for a refund, and was successful, but beware, because they mark reschedules as 'cancellations" on your part, if it's within 2 hours of arrival, you won't get refunded. What this means is, on the first scheduled appointment, if I wanted a refund, it would not have qualified. The second day only worked because they made the appointment for more than 24 hours later. In essence, they could continue cancelling on customers and refusing refund. I decided to set up the camera myself, which only took 15 minutes. Stay away from this company, and if you see that Google contracts them, ask for another installer.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Set up an inquiry to have my faucet fixed. They quoted me $160 for the job. When the plumber showed up, he wanted $800 to fix a shutoff valve! They cost $20 at Home depot, but mine was no longer being sold. Anyway, Homeadvisor and Handy put my card on automatic payments and charged me around $200 for 3 weeks straight. I never consented to this. There is no support number, only a sales number of course. They refused to refund my money even though not one of their plumbers even touched my sink. I am getting an attorney involved. I ended up going with a local plumber. The job cost me under $400, so less than half what homeadvisor wanted to charge. What an awful company.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

This company does not do its due diligence when accepting contractors. I feel bad for the good contractors it has because they are over-shadowed by the bad ones that have been left unchecked by Handy. I have used the service several times in the past along with some friends with very mixed results. This past time I booked a pro to clean my mother's empty house and the pro assigned was somehow both New to Handy but also listed as working for Handy for a year. No information or reviews were provided about the pro. When she arrived she had almost no cleaning supplies with her, so my mother provided some. After my mother left the house, the pro left, along with the cleaning supplies my mother gave her to clean the house. She didn't contact me through the app, or my mother through her phone. This is an individual pro issue.

The problem with the company (hence this review) is they removed all history of even booking the pro from my page, so I could not report on it. There is also no one to contact, just submit emails without a specific service/pro to effectively/efficiently raise an issue with so Handy can be informed and that pro can have a record & rating of a bad or unprofessional service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I've tried to use Handy for monthly housecleanings since May of 2021. It's now September, and tomorrow I'm supposed to have my 3rd cleaning. I have NEVER had a cleaning on the original scheduled date. Every month there has been at least one instance of a late cancellation or no-show, and in two such instances, I was charged anyway and had to chase after their customer service to reverse charges. My last series of cancellations I was promised my prepayment would be applied to tomorrow's cleaning, but now I got a notification that they charged me again, even though I had a credit on the account. The two cleaners who have arrived have done a good job on my house (one didn't have her own supplies, which threw me, but she did a good job using my supplies), but it's not worth the hassle.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

The company cancelled my appointment THREE times with no lead time at all. I left my job on three separate days to be home for the "PRO", which is a ridiculous term to use when you don't even bother to show up. I paid for the service through WAYFAIR. I hold WAYFAIR responsible as well in that they are offering a company with such a despicable rating for service. I should have done my homework! You should be embarrassed by your claims.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I purchased a bed from Wayfair and Handy was scheduled to assemble it the day after delivery. They canceled my appointment at the last minute and rescheduled it. Then they canceled and rescheduled it a second time not even contacting me to find out if the new appointment date/time was acceptable to me. I would never use this service again and am reporting my experience to Wayfair’s CEO on Monday morning.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

As a Handy cleaner for 5 years, I can say this... for future customers- when you find a cleaner you like, exchange numbers, save yourself future headaches, stress, fees and leave the app. Future cleaners- be professional, diligent, and use handy as a marketing tool for your own cleaning company. There will be tons of fees, and lying customers. On top of communication with Handy management being almost completely Ai and Bot now. Be strategic, professional, smart and enjoy cleaning.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I ordered furniture to be delivered and assembled by Wayfair.com. They hired Handy to assemble. After a month of missed appointments Handy sent an email stating they do not service my area. $345.32 is what I paid for the assembly. I have been trying for 5 weeks to get a refund. Wayfair whom hired Handy will not help. Handy says my check was sent and would be received by 5 weeks which is days ago. When I complain they say it will be another 4-5 weeks for a new check to be issued. I am a senior lady and I see this is their MO to keep delaying hoping I will give up. I will never buy from Wayfair again and beware of Handy!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Once you pay, you can never change your mind. I was scammed $322. I booked for a service and I canceled the service 24 hours before. They refused to refund me. In an attempt to cancel, I was forced to join their membership for $99. Please do not use this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Ordered and paid for assembly service AUGUST 30TH 4PM... THE GUY NEVER CALLS OR SHOWS UP!! NO CALL NO SHOW! Call complain...they say, "Oh sorry." THEN IT'S RESCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY THE 3RD AND NOW IT'S RESCHEDULED AGAIN!!! FOR A CALL OFF. No "sorry we're going to compensate you..the service is free" etcetc..no same charge same inconvenience.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I hired and prepaid for 2 movers for 3 hours. I made the reservation two weeks prior to move day. On moving day, 1 of the two movers showed up. After contacting the company, they informed me they could not send another mover today or tomorrow. This left me in a huge mess- with an ABF trailer to load and no movers! I am now disputing the charges with my credit card- since I prepaid for a service I did not receive. I WILL NEVER USE HANDY HAPPINESS AGAIN.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Per my experience AVOID Handy.com!! This would be zero stars if I could make it one!! I bought a toilet installation from Lowe's and Lowe's uses Handy.com for their installs. It took two weeks for a scheduled service. You can only communicate with them or the service person via email or app. They sent out constant reminders and verification emails including the day of the service. Day of the service, the installer did not show up. There was no communication from Handy or the installer.

I let Handy know the installer didn't show up. Handy said I'd have to reschedule the install and it would be with a different person. They then closed my installation work order (paid for and scheduled at Lowe's). They then told me it was closed because the installer didn't show up and they were refunding my money to Lowe's. Here I am looking at another unknown number of weeks to get someone back out. Handy nor their representatives have never once called. I am pretty sure the installer could have called and said "hey, the tropical storm Fred has made us delay, how about tomorrow"... but no, not even the common decency of a simple phone call. I cannot see Handy surviving with the way they do business.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I am furious with this company. My "Pro" (the title they give to the housekeepers) did not show up and I CANNOT get support to responding to me. I want my money refunded - ABSOLUTELY NO ONE SHOWED UP - then you charged my credit card!!!! I sent a complaint and the support sent me an email saying that the person did show up? How can that be when I was waiting on them for over 40 minutes???? I was at my house all morning and left 50 min after their start time (9:20am). I spent over an hour picking up stuff so they could clean. They never called or text - others I used in the past with Handy did that. I have wasted time (that I should have been at work) and money - my time cleaning now.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I purchased a toilet from Lowe's Home Improvement, and they contracted Handy to install the toilet. The contractor from Handy came to my home (Unmasked), and within 3 mins, screamed for me to turn off the main water supply. I asked what happened, and he told me that my water supply pipe for the toilet had been previously broken. I live on the 3rd floor of a three floor condo. I had to run downstairs to inform my neighbor of the issue, he found his bathroom flooded and his ceiling damaged. I told the contractor that there is no way the pipe was broken prior to his work, he then left in a hurry.

I requested a refund of the installation fee, and damages. I provided all of the pictures and forms they asked for, and now they are delaying by asking for more. I was without water for 4 days, had to pay a plumber and will have to pay for my neighbor's repairs. I am a disabled vet, and cannot do the running around that they require. No help, just them pointing fingers at me.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

Don't ever use Lowe's Handy install company. I have wasted so much time with these people. Numerous phone calls had to go back to store three times. Terrible service. Finally, I cancelled the ceiling fan installation because the installer for my job said he doesn't work with Lowe's installers anymore. I kept calling Lowe's and calling for information. Big nightmare. No one would answer the phone then finally a girl switched me around to numbers that would ring the busy signal. This purchase at Lowe's then paying for the install upfront was a huge mistake. Customer service should just rip the phone off the wall at least they would have a reason for not answering the phone. I spent over 2 hours calling, Lowe's, installer and worst was Lowe's headquarters. Bottom line is shop other places that really care about their customers.

Original review: July 25, 2021

I don't think this company really wants to "hire" professionals. They take all your personal information, social security, address, phone, supposedly for a "background" check. Then harass you to download their "App" for immediate opportunities. The App is worthless and then they never follow-up with any job opportunities.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I purchased an item online from Walmart and included the assembly from Handy. The item arrived at my home and Handy scheduled, and canceled five four-hour window appointments, over a period of a week and a half, before finally writing to tell me they can't perform the service. They, of course, already took my money, and Walmart won't return it, because it was paid to an outside supplier (even though I paid Walmart for the service). It took over a month for the money to appear on my credit card. Total Rip Off. Walmart too. From now on, I'm buying my Chinese Communist junk from Amazon.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Walmart + Handy tv mounting is a complete SHAM! You will book an appointment and no one will show! Then you will be given repeated rescheduled appointments every other day until you wise up and realize these people are never coming! Don’t be fooled because the Walmart name is attached because they cannot help you get your money back from these con artists! They have scammed me out of $79. Don’t let it happen to you.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Wish there was a way to give zero stars. Booked and paid upfront for drywall repair. Handy's terms of service say that if *we* cancel the booking within 48 hours, then *they* get to keep all the money. However, Handy.com rescheduled us THREE TIMES over two weeks within TWO HOURS of our booking. We kept taking off work in order to be there when the handyman arrived, and then the morning of, within 1-2 hours of our booking start time, we would just get an automated text telling us "the professional scheduled to assist you today had to cancel last minute and we have rescheduled you". We have to give them 48 hours notice, and they get to give us NO notice? Where's OUR cancellation fee?

The third time, they just flat-out cancelled the booking entirely and texted "your Handy booking has been cancelled due to an emergency with your professional, we're refunding your card, you should see the money arrive back within 5 days". Never saw a single handyman, never got a phone call apologizing or explaining, nothing. Just held our money for weeks, lied, made it impossible for us to hire a legitimate repairman in the meantime, and communicated solely via texts. If you actually do need someone reliable who will complete the work in a timely manner and not screw you over, don't go with Handy.com. Completely untrustworthy.

Original review: July 5, 2021

When You sign up to work for this company at Handy, Know what you're getting yourself into. Looks like they'll pay you well right? Bigger jobs equal a bigger paycheck right? Well that what I thought until further investigation. Handy, provides pros different jobs on their app and they'll give you the price they'll pay. Sounds good until you click on the job you're interested in and decide to accept it. The app then proceeds to bring up a notice about cancelations and the prices they will charge you (the pro) for any cancelations with less than 48 hours. Which means that if you accept a job post less than 48 hours, you will see less money in your paycheck than they said they'd pay you and your rate will go down.

There's a few problems wrong with this but my main problem focuses on something that's not completely honest on their end. Rather you canceled a job earlier than 48 hours or less, your ratings will drop. The problem? Once you've accepted a job, They proceed to give you the details of what needs to be done. Suppose there was something that you weren't able to do or willing to do on that job description or suppose it'd take much more time than they'll pay you for? Well either accept that dropped rating and perhaps money being pulled from your next job. That's right. They will lure you into a job with the amount they will pay you WITHOUT giving you ANY details until AFTER you've accepted the job.

Suppose you really don't want that rating drop and you decide to accept that job. It's either, you do whatever that job is and hope your customer will be easy on you for trying to get it all done before the pay time is up and not give a bad rating, or you work over the pay time and not get paid for the extra time you worked. Regardless your ratings do definitely work for or against you. Bad ratings equal Handy to kick you out of their services. In the long run handy is sneaky handedly treating its pros like another number and getting away with it.

Going back to the job descriptions. Handy is not always accurate in what needs to be done. It's also not always accurate with how far away a job is. 10 miles away does not equal a whole 2h 49min drive! And I'm not going that far to only work for 4 hours and come back hoping that another 2h 49min drives becomes longer due to traffic! That's the whole paycheck!

I went to a customer's house and was ready to do everything the description told me. As a cleaner, I brought all of my cleaning equipment and supplies and after meeting the customer, she said she only wanted me to do some organizing and no cleaning. She told a representative of Handy what she was looking for and thought that they'd give me the memo. Well I got a memo but the wrong one. Here's where things get deeper. She was charged $187 for me to simply organize her closet and It wasn't hard and it really wasn't going to take as long as she expected. Needless to say she shouldn't have been charged as much as it was.

The other problem here is after listening to the price she paid $187, I only got paid $80 from Handy! They say that they only take 20 percent of our earnings but look at those the amount they charged her and how much they paid me. Does that look like 20 percent was taken out or more than 20 percent? I managed to keep my customer ratings at a 5 star rating but averaged a 57 rating with canceling some jobs. To save your eyes from baring anymore rolling from side to side glancing at words, my Idea my advice. Be careful. They do their pros much dirtier than they portray.

Original review: June 30, 2021

So far my experience with both booking services and with their customer service has been trash. I’ve had my appointment rescheduled 3 times and cancelled once because of ‘last minute call outs’. I tried scheduling at a time I choose, going with when they re-scheduled me, choosing a specific pro and choosing from their availability, and none of it worked. When I asked for a refund and my plan to be cancelled because obviously I’m never getting an appointment to show up, I was told there was a $99 cancellation fee because I received a discounted service….which I never received because the appointment was rescheduled! I’ve been going back and forth with this customer service rep, but the responses are word for word the same, so they’re either a robot or are just sending pre-written emails.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I scheduled a service call for my A/C. The provider did not show and did not contact me. Handy.com contacted me via text message to verify that the service was complete. When I responded negatively, they said that someone from Handy.com would reach out to me "shortly". Sixteen hours later, I finally contacted them to request a refund. They did promptly respond and agree to refund. But it was a lesser amount than I was originally to have been charged. When I called to verify that they would refund the correct amount, the service rep told me I had to work through Google Pay (or something like that) as they did not have access to the billing. I find this to be unacceptable. I turns out that they charged me the lesser amount originally. So, assuming that they actually do refund me, I suppose they get that right. Small consolation for the worst experience that I have ever had in trying to service done.

Original review: June 15, 2021

They try to lure you in for a discounted price. Afterwards, they charge your credit card first without providing service. In my case, they first notified that the pro service I requested is not available. Then they claimed that they sent someone, I had no person come. They refused to credit or send a second service back. Run away from Handy!

Original review: June 11, 2021

As a contractor for this company I have to say that they do not respond to the concerns of the pro. I have been waiting now 5 weeks to get paid for an issue that their app caused…keep saying be patient but I’m sure they wouldn’t want to wait 5 weeks for their paycheck!

Original review: May 28, 2021

I booked Handy.com through Samsung.com when I purchased my new Samsung Frame TV for installation. The service was priced at $80 plus tax. When the technician arrived he admitted he did not have experience in installing the low profile bracket that comes with the TV. I had the TV in the Styrofoam next the wall for installation and when he moved it, he put a large, black scratch in the wall. The line was deep as well and would require patching and smoothing as well as painting.

From there I needed to show him the brackets he needed to install. In his first attempt, he found the stud and put in the first screw. He measured the back of the TV and started to align the second bracket. At this point I had to show him he was installing it upside down and backward. After not quite getting what I has saying, I had to have him take off the bracket and show him on the TV. He then understood the system and reinstalled though by now I had multiple holes in the wall. He had the remains of a wall patch silicon that he tried to fill them with but didn't have enough.

He then spent the next hour removing and repositioning the first bracket and measuring for the second one. He put more holes in the wall and could never get the second bracket aligned and installed. I finally asked him to leave when we tried to screw in a plastic drywall anchor from the front side of the metal bracket. At this point it was clear he was not well trained in general much less with Samsung's specific product I contract to install.

I reached out to Samsung and answered their survey giving the installation the lowest marks possible. I also contacted Handy.com and asked them what they would do to repair and remedy the poor installation attempt. They asked me to estimate repairs and calculated about $400 to fill all the extra holes, repair the scratch and repaint my wall. They agreed to these numbers but only if I would sign a onerous and one sided NDA. It included a clause that would put me liable for $5,000 in penalty for statement about the incident in the past or future. This would mean I would have already violated the agreement giving Samsung the feedback that their installer performed poorly.

I decided I would not put my self at risk and it was better to alert everyone to their lack of qualified and trained personnel. I wanted to make sure that Samsung understood that the product they were offering was subpar, all of which I could not do if I accepted their offer to fix what they damaged. Think about how many people have taken the money rather than disclose their incompetence. I do not recommend their services.

Handy Company Information