2. Homeowners

4.8/5 (191 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About General Steel

Established in 1995, General Steel has provided over 20,000 steel buildings including successful projects for The White House, Boeing, Disney, Dow Chemical, CAT, Walmart, General Motors, Newmont Mining, PG&E, British Petroleum and NASA. The company has become an industry leader and offers customer a highly experienced team. This team will provide solutions to guide you through a successful project.

General Steel Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Steel?

Original review: July 28, 2021

Chase was excellent. He was great with follow up and follow thru. He worked with us through the entire permitting process and really was diligent in every aspect. He was working with a great team and very accommodating. I have bought buildings from them in the past and would like to build more.

Original review: May 26, 2021

We ordered a building from them, every time we asked questions we heard "we will get back to you in 5 minutes". We ended up calling numerous times before we got answers. We asked for the building to be engineered after paying more money. We got an email asking us to waive our right to look at the plans, we declined, we wanted to see the plans. We then got an email stating we had to pay another 13,000 dollars and the building was going to production. We still have not seen any engineered plans. We refused to pay more money, we were told the price was locked in when we signed the original agreement. But now we are told that due to the price of steel they were charging more. We asked for our money back at this point.

They called back to inform us they would only charge us half (5700.00) but we still wanted to get our money back. They would not give us anything in writing stating the building would not cost more. They called back a few hours later and informed us we would not get back any money. This building has not been fabricated just some plans that state not for building purposes. In my opinion, this company lies, does not return phone calls and now steals people's hard earned money.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Wanted to take a moment to thank the Building Services Group and specifically Bruce. I had a really great experience dealing with him on my purchase of my 30x40x12. He made the entire transaction really smooth and went out of his way to make sure I was happy about how things turned out. I think he and his group is an invaluable asset to the company and people like that stand out to customers. Thank you!!!

Original review: March 24, 2021

Zachary was a complete pleasure to work with. His knowledge of the product, professionalism, his patience with our endless amount of questions was phenomenal. We are incredibly thankful for all his help and would highly recommend others to work directly with him.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I chose General Steel for my project based on their reputation and competitive pricing. Ken ** has been my main contact at General Steel and my experience with him has been excellent. Ken has always been assiduous and responsive to the various aspects of developing my steel building order.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Over the last 5 years, I have purchased 4 buildings from General Steel for my RV storage facility. They included a 420' x 45' garage unit with 28 garages with electric garage doors, a 408' x 30' canopy unit, a 285' building with 13-15' x 45' plus 6-15' x 49' garages and a 290' x 40' canopy unit, the latter of which is just now being erected. In every case, General Steel has been competitive, easy to work with and timely with their plans and shipping schedules. I would readily recommend their operation as well as their products.

General Steel response

Hi Gerald, thank you for continuing to trust us with your projects, from one business owner to another, that means a lot. I'm sure your RV storage facility will be successful, we look forward to working with you again as you expand your operation.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

Jacob was extremely responsive to questions and very good with follow-up, as were all GS staff. I have to admit I was surprised by the aggressiveness of all GS personnel in following up with this deal to make sure we got everything done quickly, although I did not regard this aggressiveness as inappropriate. I would have appreciated some deeper discounts for a returning customer, as the building price was close to being undercut by the competition in Phoenix (Southwest Buildings). However, your referral for an affordable setup crew was the selling point. The crew obtained seems to know how to do this pretty well, and presented themselves for unloading very promptly and with the correct equipment. Thanks again for a good experience with GS buildings (they're putting up the building as we speak, so I'm assuming it won't fall over and prompt a less-than-happy review)!

General Steel response

Hi Thomas, thank you for sharing your experience with our staff. Oftentimes, it's our team that is the biggest difference between our company and other options. We appreciate your business and hope to work with you again in the future.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Conor has gone above reg. customer service to help me with this project. To me it feels like he is invested in my project and determined to get me what I want. I know I am hard to work with (retired salesperson) but he takes it in stride and gets us back on project. I think that Conor ** is a great asset to your company and should be recognized as one. Everyone I have talked to from your company has been great to work with.

General Steel response

Jeffrey, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Conor as well as our other team members you have worked with. Conor is without a doubt a valuable member of our team as he represents the level of service every customer can expect from everyone here at General Steel. Please share pictures of your project with Conor and your Project Coordinator, we all love to see the results of our team's hard work and dedication.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

This will be the first metal building I have ever bought so my wife and I have a ton of questions on purchasing one. We have been shopping and looking for the best possible deal and also the strongest and most reliable buildings. We have 4 youngins and don’t won’t to settle for the what ifs but the I knows. We live in south Louisiana and have just experienced a cat 3 hurricane. I also work off shore and I don’t want to leave my family in a what if building.

Upon calling General Steel we spoke to Tobin ** and had a ton of questions for him and he answered every one with a great attitude. He also insured us that your buildings were rated for 160 mph wind load which gave me a piece of mind. I didn’t feel like we were getting played like before. Tobin did a good job by making us feel like we were making the right deal. He also welcomed us to the General Steel family. All the other companies we called were pretty much what if’s because they did not offer what General Steel offers - good attitude and a piece of mind. I will be recommending General Steel to others.

General Steel response

Charles, thank you for your positive feedback on your experience with Tobin and for sharing why you ultimately chose General Steel for your project. The reasons you outlined throughout your review are what truly sets our company apart from the alternatives. I'm certain you made the right decision for your family, our buildings do have a history of enduring hurricanes such as Katrina (174 mph wind) and Sandy (115 mph wind). We appreciate your business and any referrals you send our way.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

My experience with the customer service was the best I have experienced! John was very helpful and if there was something that he could not help me with he forwarded me to the people who could. I will definitely recommend Gen. Steel to other farmers!

General Steel response

Chad, hearing that our service was the best you've experienced is encouraging for not only Jon but all of the members of our project support team. We strive for 100% customer satisfaction on every phone call and every building we deliver. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future customers.

General Steel Company Information