Frontpoint vs. ADT Self Setup
What is the difference between Frontpoint and ADT Self Setup?
Frontpoint and ADT Self Setup are two recognizable names in the home security game, each with different offerings. Frontpoint's catalog of equipment runs the full gamut, including smart technology, cameras and a variety of sensors. ADT Self Setup has fewer equipment options but has more affordable monthly pricing and the option to self-monitor. Neither company requires a contract or professional installation to get started.
Installation and cost
|Upfront cost||$392.40 to $797.88 upfront; financing available||$179.99 to $579.99|
|Trial period||30-day risk-free guarantee||30 days of free monitoring|
|Contract terms||36 months (if financing)||No-contract options|
|DIY||None||$392.40 to $797.88 upfront; financing available||30-day risk-free guarantee||36 months (if financing)|
|DIY||None||$179.99 to $579.99||30 days of free monitoring||No-contract options|
Monitoring plans and pricing
|Monitoring price range||$50/month||$24.99 to $34.99 per month|
|Monitoring options||Professional||Professional or self-monitored|
|Upgraded self-monitoring||Not offered||Not offered|
|24/7 professional monitoring||$50/month||$24.99/month|
|Upgraded professional monitoring||Not offered||Not offered|
|$50/month||Professional||Not offered||Not offered||$50/month||Not offered|
|$24.99 to $34.99 per month||Professional or self-monitored||Free||Not offered||$24.99/month||Not offered|
|Wired or wireless?||Wireless||Both|
|Camera options||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Indoor and outdoor cameras|
|Glass break sensor|
|Panic button||Panic pendant||—|
|Wireless||Indoor and outdoor cameras||Not listed||Panic pendant|
|Both||Indoor and outdoor cameras||—||—|
|Smart thermostat||Compatible with Nest|
|Garage door control||Not listed||—|
|Temperature sensor||Not listed|
|Not listed||Not listed|
|—||—||Compatible with Nest||—|
|Mobile app monitoring|
|Notification/alert options||Email, text and push||Push notifications and email|
|Home automation capabilities|
|Other integrations||Amazon Alexa, Google, Siri, Z-Wave||IFTTT|
|4.4||3.3||Email, text and push||Amazon Alexa, Google, Siri, Z-Wave|
|4.4||4.2||Push notifications and email||—||IFTTT|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||3.6||3.0|
|Verified customer reviews||Frontpoint reviews||ADT Self Setup|
|3.0||ADT Self Setup|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
Frontpoint is a leading home security company with packages suitable for everything from small apartments to large smart homes. Its systems are simple to install, and you can use the system’s voice control feature or integrate it with systems like Alexa or Google Home.
Products can be purchased online with financing options and free promotional equipment. Professional monitoring is available with all packages, and long-term contracts are not required if you purchase the equipment upfront.
- The Fortress is Frontpoint’s most comprehensive package. It includes a hub, a keypad, two motion sensors, six door/window sensors, one indoor camera, one smoke and heat sensor, a yard sign and three window decals.
- The Bunker includes a hub, a keypad, a motion sensor, three door/window sensors, an indoor camera, a smoke and heat sensor, a yard sign and three window decals.
- The Safehouse comes with a hub, a keypad, a motion sensor, two door/window sensors, a yard sign and three window decals.
- Build Your Own systems come with a hub and a keypad, and you can purchase additional devices separately.
What Frontpoint customers say
Frontpoint security systems enjoy many positive reviews on our site. Reviewers comment on the high quality of service and how simple the equipment was to set up themselves. Most customers were impressed with the product and felt like their concerns were addressed, but some had negative experiences and said certain equipment didn’t work correctly or that the billing and service representatives were not communicative.
ADT Self Setup
ADT Self Setup is a simpler home security option that offers DIY installation and everything you should need to keep your home safe. While it's missing some of the more advanced smart-home devices, including smart locks and lighting, the company makes up for it with affordable pricing and a 30-day trial period. This lightweight system is ideal for DIYers and those on a budget.
ADT Self Setup plans
Once you have chosen a ADT Self Setup security system, you must pick a monitoring plan. ADT Self Setup currently offers two plans:
- DIY monitoring: With the self-monitoring option, your system sends mobile alerts and notifications over your home's Wi-Fi network. This option is free, but authorities won't be alerted if there’s an emergency.
- 24/7 professional monitoring: The professional monitoring plan costs $24.99 or $34.99 per month, with the first month free. This plan includes professional monitoring over Wi-Fi with cellular backup. If an emergency happens in your home, authorities will be alerted.
What ADT Self Setup customers say
ADT Self Setup reviews are generally positive. Happy customers frequently mention the company’s knowledgeable staff and quick notifications on monitoring. A few comments mention difficulty with self-installation, so you may have better luck with another system if you’re not comfortable with DIY setup.
Bottom line: Frontpoint or ADT Self Setup?
Frontpoint and ADT Self Setup offer many of the same home security devices, with a few differences between the two companies. Frontpoint has more smart-home options, such as smart locks and thermostats. Both systems involve DIY installation, but only ADT Self Setup offers the option of self-monitoring. Both offer a 30-day trial period to guarantee you're satisfied with your new system.
- Frontpoint is best for those who don't mind paying a monthly cost for professional monitoring, especially if their home has smart-home capabilities.
- ADT Self Setup is best for customers on a budget or those interested in DIY monitoring.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.