Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.50/5

In addition to home security, Frontpoint also provides a wide range of home automation options. Our home automation features allow you to have complete control over your home. Save money and time by automating or remotely controlling your lighting and thermostat or gain peace of mind by securing your home remotely.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Frontpoint Home Automation Reviews

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

We had the service for four years when my family had a major change and we could not keep the service. Our contract was up so I called to cancel. We had been very patient with the company on the lack of quality equipment that was constantly breaking and having to be returned. At one point we were downgraded at no fault of our own because they were having equipment issues. (They took us from a touch screen monitor to a key panel.) we were not happy but what do you do.

When I called I was told that they could give us six months free service because of our situation. However they kept billing up. So I called today to cancel and they are telling me because we accepted the 6 months free we owe the nine months. This company is not to be trusted!!!! They will say anything to lock you in. They broke the agreement first by not sending us the equipment we paid for and then by continuing to charge us for service after they told us there would no charge, and now this.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Bought system but never used or activated. Called to cancel and get refund. Told I was past the 1 month "trial" and even though never installed or activated I could not get a refund or "get out of my contract" even though they said "no contracts". Deceptive company. Avoid them like the plague. Saw many other complaints about "not being able to cancel 3 year contract. Read all the complaints before buying this "money pit". I might have to lose the purchase price but this crooked company will not get another dollar from me. Dr David **

Get expert buying tips about Home Automation Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Had Frontpoint for 5 years with no issues, when I moved they forced me to buy their new hub instead of using my existing panel. Then all the sensors started causing false alarms and I've accumulated $1100 in false alarm fines from my police department in 4 months! They keep forcing me to troubleshoot with them and sending me new sensors but the last conclusion is that I should switch to my original panel - which they initially lied and refused to let me use. They won't let me out of the contract and they want me to pay for more parts. Thieves and liars, not to mention hours and hours on the phone. STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

My alarm went off at 3:00 AM for no apparent reason. I expected Frontpoint to call me for a wellness check and they never did. I had to call them and was told they had no record of my alarm going off. I had to call technical support later that day to find out why this was happening. I was told that my 2G hub/keypad was outdated and not communicating to them. Apparently they switched to a 4G system 8 months ago and I was not notified. I called today to cancel my service only to be told that I will be billed for November for a service that I am not receiving and have not received for the past 8 months. Not only should I not have to pay for November but I should be reimbursed for the past 8 months of so called service that I paid for and received zero monitoring.

I was told that had I checked my mobile app I would have realized that my hub/keypad wasn't communicating to them. Thankfully that 3:00 AM alarm was a false alarm and we did not require emergency personnel to be sent to our house. I hate to think of what might have happened if this was an actual emergency since we were under the expectation that we were being covered/protected. Frontpoint needs to implement better business practices and take responsibility for their inaction to alert their customers of a system upgrade. I should have been called and a new hub automatically sent to me knowing that mine was outdated. Instead, they threw the responsibility onto me by telling me I should have checked my app.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

This company is very hard to cancel. They tell you on the phone you can cancel your service after the contract is up but try to pass you on to another department then require a written cancellation and 30 day notice process that creates an additional barrier that allows them to keep billing you. They will hound you day and night for small balances and have no customer satisfaction concerns. Bad to deal with - there are better systems out there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontpoint Home Automation?

Original review: June 6, 2019

My wife and I researched several of the various alarm system companies 2 years ago prior to purchasing with Frontpoint. We specifically chose them due to the fact that they “don’t require a contact”. When we signed up, the salesperson said Nothing about a contract. We gladly ordered our equipment and got set up with frontpoint. Fast forward to the today and upon calling to cancel I learned that we were locked into a 3 year contract and we had to pay 80% of the remainder to cancel their services.

What really bad is that I referred my mother in law to frontpoint and had been someone who would tell others about frontpoint. I will never be a customer of theirs again and I plan to tell my mother in law to leave their services ASAP. I also plan to tell all my friends and family to avoid them like the plague. They’re deceitful and dishonest in their business dealings.

Original review: April 12, 2019

This system never worked for us and we had to replace it after 10 months. We asked to cancel and the company wouldn't allow it. They are still taking money from us every month over a year later. FrontPoint Securty Solutions, LLC has not acted in good faith and has not addressed the numerous service issues with their system. Representatives of FrontPoint Securty Solitions, LLC have not followed through and the system never functioned as promised. The numerous problems associated with the securty system constitute a material breach of contract and FrontPoint Security Solutions, LLC has failed to remedy its breach. As a result, I have had to get a new system installed on the property.

Original review: April 4, 2019

It's 2019 and I get a lot of spam/robocalls. I usually delete robo voicemails unheard but I decided to finally listen to one from a number that kept calling. It was Frontpoint telling me "my account needs updated". I then realized I had a new debit card number and they needed it. This is their business model, no letters, no calls from a real person, no emails, just robo voicemails. I decided to do some Googling and realized that FrontPoint was one of the most expensive alarm systems and this was their definition of "customer service".

I purchased a new, much cheaper alarm system (with the same features) and installed it. I called FrontPoint to cancel and they told me the same thing you'll read in other reviews below. FrontPoint requires a "30 Day Cancellation Notice". This means that even though the alarm is sitting in a box next to my garbage can, I'll still be paying for service for 30 days after I "cancel". The person on the phone kept trying to rationalize "the monitoring is in place and we pre pay for it so it's there whether you use it or not" as if that makes me feel better about giving you $44 more for nothing. Making the last exchange with a customer unpleasant is a sure fire way to get bad reviews and close that door forever. It would be very easy to just wrap it up and say have a nice day. I recommend steering clear of this company and their "squeeze every last dollar out" practices.

Original review: March 29, 2019

In March I called to cancel the alarm service. I had transferred my service over to my parents address on a month to month basis for the past couple years. Now I’m moving my parents into my home and called to cancel the Frontpoint alarm service which I no longer have a need for. They kept on insisting that I could still use the service and to just transfer it to someone else. It took me over 2 hours of talking to customer support for them to tell me they will cancel my service after I give them a written notice.

Also they told me that they also have to charge me the monthly fee for the following month coming up of April (even though I called to cancel it n March & won’t get service in April). This makes no sense why they would charge an extra month of service when I am not under contract or am not receiving services. How do they get away with this? I guess when I go to a month to month service, you automatically agree to the a month to month contract agreement that you agree to pay them for an extra month after canceling. This company is a complete rip off and finds tricky ways to keep you as a customer and continue charging your account until go through all the different channels of hell to cancel.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We never received the system yet they continued to charge our bank account for service we never received. To make matters worse, since I stopped further payments on our bank account they have continued to harass us even after we told them we were canceling the service for nonperformance. We wrote the state attorney general's office to see if they can be prosecuted for fraud or larceny.

Frontpoint Home Automation expert review by Lisa Montgomery

Frontpoint Security is an automated security company founded in 2007. Frontpoint Home Security is headquartered in Vienna, VA.

• Wide geographic area: Frontpoint security works with customers in all 50 U.S. states, which means that people across the country have convenient access to their services.

• Referral rewards program: Frontpoint offers customers a free month of monitoring for every new customer a current customer refers.

• Fully-licensed company: The company holds specialized licenses in every required state in order to work with home security systems in an attempt to be the most compliant security system in the country.

• Free quotes: Frontpoint Home Automation offers customers free quotes on their website, so customers can know exactly how much they can expect to pay for their service with no hidden or surprise fees.

• Award-winning: The company has won many awards for its quality of services, including being named One of the Best Places to Work in Virginia.

• Best for: Owners of both luxury and mid-scale residences, elderly homeowners and homeowners with young children.

by Lisa Montgomery Home Automation Systems Contributing Editor

Lisa Montgomery is a seasoned journalist who has covered and reported on a variety of topics in the home automation industry for more than 15 years. Knowledgeable about the technology behind and the major players of home automation systems, residential security systems, smart thermostats and more, she is able to translate technical terms into language that consumers can understand and will find informative and useful.

Frontpoint Home Automation questions and answers

What problem is Frontpoint trying to solve?
      Put simply, Frontpoint wants to provide security that you can feel great about. We aim to take the hassle and confusion out of home security, and replace it with the right solutions and exceptional service not found anywhere else in the industry. And as technology continues to evolve, we aim to make it simple for customers to get the related advanced features (lights, locks, cameras) into their homes.
      What sets Frontpoint apart from the competition?
      What sets Frontpoint apart from the competition is our dedication to consistently providing the best customer experience possible – from initial sales call and throughout the customer lifecycle. Just take a look at the overwhelming majority of positive reviews on this site and others, and you’ll see how much customer satisfaction means to us.
      What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how does Frontpoint fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      Unlike many of our competitors, we focus on providing customers with the right systems to fit their homes and needs rather than on selling systems with the most equipment or the highest monthly monitoring plans. We work to ensure that every system we sell is made specifically for the home and people it will protect.
      How does Frontpoint measure success?
      We measure success by the growing number of safe and satisfied customers that we have nationwide. It’s why we do what we do, and as long as they’re happy, so are we.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about Frontpoint?
      Many people assume all alarm systems operate via a landline or internet connection. Frontpoint systems use neither. In fact, it’s our dedicated cellular monitoring at no additional cost that makes for a safer, more secure system.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
      The biggest shift in the last 5 to 10 years has been the rise of home automation. The prevalence of smartphones and tablets has enabled us to stay connected to everything, including our homes. As the “internet of things” continues to grow, so will the possibilities of the connected home, and Frontpoint plans to evolve with it.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Frontpoint?
      We’re not like the “other guys.” We take pride in being honest, upfront and helpful. Also, when we say our systems are simple to set up and use, we actually mean it.
      Has Frontpoint received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
      Frontpoint maintains an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We have thousands of positive online reviews on community review sites across the internet.
      How has your company grown or evolved?
      Over the past eight years we’ve grown exponentially in just about every way imaginable (number of customers, number of employees, two locations). However, we’ve never lost sight of the vision we laid out when we started – make the world a safer place. We like to think we’re well on our way.

Frontpoint Home Automation Company Information