1.70/5
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for new cookware?

107 Corelle Dishes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Bought a new Corelle dinnerware set today that matches some dishes I've had for 40 years. First I noticed that the pattern (Cornflower) was fuzzy and indistinct on the new plates where it was crisp and clear on the older dishes. Further, I noticed that the pattern was a poor decal on top of the plate surface whereas the color pattern is embedded inside the older dishes, under the clear top coat of glass. One reason I went for Corelle was that dishes I've picked up over the years the decals all disintegrate after a couple of years in the dishwasher. Then I saw all the warnings about not using the dishes on the stovetop or in the oven whereas my old stuff has survived decades of such use (but not set directly on an electric "burner". That was enough for me and I've given up on Corelle as a quality dish manufacturer.

Original review: July 31, 2018

These are the WORST cutlery I have ever have. I have only had them for 5 months and I don't even own a dishwasher, they are all hand-washed, I live alone so I use them 1/2 the time. They have all cracked open and the plastic is chipping off at the base-into my food! Crooks are selling this set for $60 on eBay... I got them for $30 at London Drugs. DON'T BUY THIS CUTLERY!

Get expert buying tips about Cookware Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Corelle dishware - Just had one of these shatter violently into shrapnel in the microwave cooking a pot pie. Good thing the door was closed or someone could have been injured. These are a hazard. Now I need to buy new dishware.

Original review: June 24, 2018

My mom bought me 2 sets of everything Corelle (for 8 persons) 15 years ago for my first boat as it had an unbreakable reputation. We have used it a lot every summer and last night one plate fell on the wood floor and broke in many pieces. As everyone is always barefoot on boats and after reading all the other comments I wonder if I will replace everything by melamine dinnerware...

Original review: June 4, 2018

Corelle had been my go to everyday dishes for years - recently bought a new set and many pieces have chipped in ways that leave razor sharp edges and are dangerous. Recently had 2 plates explode on the hot stove sending flying sharp shards all over the kitchen and into the living room and dining room. Luckily no one was hurt. These are dangerous dishes and we will be replacing them ASAP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Corelle Dishes?

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased a dinner plate, side plate and bowl of Corelle dinnerware at my local Home Hardware store about two months ago at a reasonable price and was quite pleased with the product especially its nice clean-looking, smooth and glass-like shiny surface. However, last night while preparing dinner I experienced the most bizarre incident with the side plate. I was breaking up a tin of corned beef onto the plate using my new ceramic paring knife when the plate spontaneously jumped up from the counter breaking into two pieces and also breaking the tip of the ceramic knife. I was flabbergasted. I've never experienced anything like this in my life. I was not putting any pressure on the plate with the knife and the meat was very soft, so what gives. I don't own a microwave or a dishwasher and I've never placed the plate in or on the stove or oven.

Fortunately, the plate did not shatter into a million pieces like it has been reported doing by other people because I also have a cat, who fortunately was not in the kitchen at the same time, which is a rare occurrence. I would have been devastated if he had been hurt. I plan on returning the plate to the store and requesting a replacement but I will not ever again purchase the product. After reading all the reviews I must agree that this is a very dangerous product because of the spontaneous nature of the explosions and the devastatingly dangerous wide-flung shards that seem to occur. Chip and break resistant it is not. This is a lie and is absolutely false advertising. Very dangerous stuff. Not to be used around children or pets. Be aware and be forewarned.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I purchased a set of dinnerware dishes about 2 months ago, dropped plates I was taking out of dishwasher. Two plates EXPLODED, large and tiny shards covering my kitchen. I'm cut and because in a wheelchair have two flat tires. I don't want replacements as am throwing it all in the garbage. I had a set many years ago and was fantastic but this is now dangerous junk. It doesn't just break, it explodes and should be off the market!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had ordered what I thought was a place setting for 8 people by ordering (2) sets of dishes... Turns out it was a place setting for only 2 people which I paid $119.98 (free shipping). I was very surprised when I received the box and there was only place settings enough for ONLY 2 people! I called customer service and went back to their website and sure enough it was how it was worded that I did not correctly read it. I was shocked at the sticker price but I'd really liked the dishes. So I reordered over the phone as they currently had a sale going on (it was buy 3 pieces of the same and get 1 free). Because of the cost I only ordered 3 different sized plates (bread, salad & dinner) for 4 people (no Chargers, no bowls, no mugs). My total was $119.93 for 12 dishes.

I was instructed to go to the website to print off a return form - they do not include one in the box. I was also told that they keep $8 for a restocking processing fee and that the rest would go back to the credit/debit card that I used for the original purchase. The following week I ordered an additional set for 4 people (12 dishes total) at another $119.93 and change. Meanwhile they have already received my return shipment and I inquired as to when the money would be back on my card. I was told six to eight weeks!!!

That is complete nonsense! Not only did they keep the extra $8 but then they already have received the product that I returned in its original packaging, unused. And now it's 6 to 8 weeks to have my refund money go back to the original form of payment. I could not find this anywhere on their website and was also not instructed when speaking to customer service about the delayed refund. Good luck on receiving your refund in a timely matter even though they will keep $8 & take your money for additional orders!??

Original review: April 28, 2018

I was putting dishes away out of my dish drainer. A small saucer was wet & stuck to a pan, it fell right at my feet & SHATTERED INTO A MILLION SHARDS!! I mean EVERY corner of the kitchen had tiny shards!! It took over an hour just to get it all up! I have 2 cats & was worried about them stepping on a sliver. I couldn't move when this happened because I was barefoot, so my husband swept his way close enough to hand me the broom. This happened to me in the 80s but when the plate hit the floor it did the same thing but the glass kept jumping in different directions, it was like something out of a horror movie!! I figured because it was old.

Recently I bought a new pattern & like them because they are light weight, but now I wanna put the whole set in the trash! They SHOULD be illegal because someone can really get hurt. Not to mention pets!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING THESE!! And I'm guessing you, like me are here because you too had a bad experience.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I bought Corelle 6 Plate set from a Corelle retailer in Kolkata (India). They have been marketed in India as UNBREAKABLE. Recently during dinner a plate slipped from my nephew's hand to the floor and broke into several pieces. If this is the quality of product Corelle offer to Indian market then it's unethical. India is just for market expansion. What about quality and brand name?? Quality product should be shipped to India and all 2nd and 3rd world countries. It's a request, our government has open the market to assure better lifestyle and living standard of its people. We buy these products in hope that they will be better than the local brand but incident like this suggest otherwise.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I bought the last set of Corelle dishes at Walmart. I did not like the pattern even, but my family always had China and Corelle. I do not like heavy plates. When I opened them up, glass was everywhere. The only thing not broken was one blue cup. It took hours to clean. I have chronic pain and wasn't planning on cleaning. My hand was cut. and I was very upset. I wrote Corelle. Not looking for anything but to vent and make sure no one else had this happen. Only mentioned my handicap because it was hard to clean up. I received an email asking for pictures and a receipt. No "Are you OK?"...or "Was anyone hurt?".

I called and I was told I needed to send pictures of the glass I spent hours cleaning off my floor and kitchen table. I am 50 years old. In my day, when Corelle was a high quality brand, this rep would be fired. Again, she did not ask if I was alright etc. When I said "You aren't normal people." she argued that she was. Normal people don't see dollars over human beings. Shame on you Corelle.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have had Corelle dishware for 30 years. I can’t believe I used the stuff for so long!!! Corelle dishes are unbelievably dangerous. Once they drop they shatter to tiny shards of glass. Some minuscule pieces are impossible to see!!! This is very dangerous for babies and pets. I freak out every time a Corelle dish explodes. You can’t put shoes on cats and dogs. Beware. I am finally throwing all my Corelles in the garbage. It’s total crap!!! Should be taken off the shelves!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I feel I have to report on the Corelle dishware that is not suppose to break. After two dishes that had fallen and broke into a million pieces. I am blessed that no children or my dog were near the break because pieces were thrown everywhere in small slivers. It took quite a while to clean up the dish to make sure we got all the parts. I will not put another Corelle piece of dishware anywhere in my kitchen.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Last night a Corelle dish fell out of the dish drainer onto a wooden floor and exploded sharp pieces 15 feet in every direction. It didn't fall that far and the floor isn't that hard. I spent an hour carefully cleaning it up and still suffered several cuts on my hands. Several years ago, while rinsing a bowl I bumped a the faucet and it exploded the same way. I ended up at the ER for several sutures in my fingers and still have no feeling in one finger! I don't care what the company says. It very dangerous and should be banned. I would never have Corelle dishes with children. After last night I'm done with Corelle!

Original review: June 11, 2017

We now have our second set of Corelle dishware. There is a distinct difference with this second set... Purchased when our family grew through the years. We bought Corelle because my family always had Corelle and it lasted and was known for its durability. Well, this second set has been quite a disappointment... Lots of chips and broken plates and bowls through the years. I am happy to have found the reviews from other consumers confirming my decision... I will not be purchasing any Corelle in the future. Decent dishware is now dangerous dishware. It is surprising to me that no lawsuits have been filed yet...

Original review: May 2, 2017

I'm a long time fan and customer. But just today my 6 year old was sitting with a Corelle bowl in her lap. The bowl had strawberries and blueberries in it, and it just cracked into three pieces. She didn't drop it. No these aren't new dishes, can't even tell you when I bought them. But the fact that it was just sitting there and it broke. Scary.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I began purchasing Corelle this month as a first time customer. I thought they were somewhat pricey and went to the 'Outlets', to compare costs. Holy moly! The prices at the 'Outlet' store were twice as much as those in the local store. What? Also, the prices in the 'Outlet’ store did not jibe from single items to boxed sets. There must have been 30 or more dish patterns and types of dishes. This just raises manufacturing costs... keeping things simple, aggressive advertising, consistent pricing, and relying more on 'word of mouth' through excellence in product keeps cost basis down, customers more satisfied, and everything else that follows. One more thing, I actually took a set of dishes back when I realized the coffee cups were ceramic material. If I wanted ceramic, I would have gone ceramic.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

A 13 month old mug cracked at the handle. Once upon a time you could count on the quality and service of Corelle and today was disappointed when they denied replacement. According to "Sharon" in the customer service department of World Kitchen, which is the sales department of Corelle, mugs are manufactured in China, therefore mugs are not covered by the "Corelle" brand.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I have used Corelle dishes and cookware since it was invented. I rated it a 4 instead of 5, because I learned that the current production of Corelle has a "watered down" version of materials in manufacturing, probably "made in China". This may open up the possibility of explosion in a very hot microwave. I understand that the modern versions are less safe to use in the microwave, but I like the lightweight and break-resistant qualities of the dishes, which of course, go from oven to table to refrigerator. The appearance and versatility of the product make it a staple in any kitchen.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I heated up some food for 45 seconds. Set my plate on the counter and walked to my fridge. The plate exploded into so many tiny pieces. Shards and slivers of corelle everywhere. Luckily my dog, who was standing by the counter, wasn't hurt. But, I had to comb his fur with a lice comb to remove all the glass from his fur. I spent a long time sweeping and mopping and sweeping and mopping, trying to get all the shards.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

This is for Laraine of Clermont, FL. I also have had my Corelle bowls to have a problem with small shards of glass peeling off the edge. It started after I like you started using a Bosch dishwasher. I had a Kenmore before without this problem occurring for 13 years. Could it possibly be the related to the dish detergent? I have been using Finish Powerball as recommended by Bosch.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

A recently purchased Aqua Tile Corelle dish popped a shard off the rim without even being touched. It lodged in my sofa and I ended up with a trip to ER and stitches. World Kitchen - Corelle, seemed to be very responsive to my initial emails and pictures of my injury. I honored their request and sent them my plate and a description of the incident. Two months later they inform me their Quality team has decided it wasn't a manufacturing issue so they will not reimburse me for any of my medical expenses. They claim the plate must have been bumped at some point, and this caused the shard to come off the plate.

I ate off this plate and it was sitting 3 feet in front of me when the rim shard literally popped off the plate. There was no bumping, no knocking of the plate and no one was near it. I find it totally irresponsible for Corelle to dismiss this issue and not care about their inferior product or their customer. I have owned Corelle dishes for the past 30+ years but the new ones are not made like the old ones. DO NOT buy Corelle dishes!!

Original review: June 19, 2016

Just about 20 minutes ago I was in my living room and I heard a pop and several pieces of something rain down onto the floor from the other room. I thought for sure my naughty 1-year-old cat knocked a plate off the counter. Then I noticed both my cats and my dog were in the living room with me and had all been woken up by that same pop. Um... OK. Now I'm wondering if someone is in the house. I peek around the corner and the dish that I was using for water for my two cats exploded spontaneously right there on the floor. It cracked in half and several shards SHOT into other rooms. What the... How crazy is that? There was no extreme heat or extreme cold. It was just a little bowl with a little bit of water. Is there some type of expanding and contracting going on over the years that makes them have to release pressure at some point?

I've had them for some time as my mother gave me a couple extra bowls and plates to have on hand. Didn't really care what kind of dishes they were. They've always been easy to wash, microwavable etc... I knew about and didn't like the fact that if you did drop them on accident they would shatter into a million crazy jagged pieces. But I knew about that issue. I've told other people with similar experiences of dishes shattering that they should get bone china which is designed to break into big chunks that you can just pick up and throw away (I used to work for Royal Doulton China in Camarillo California). It's true. The way Corelle shatters is very disturbing and I don't know why anyone with half a brain would specifically design dishware to be like that purposely. BUT it wasn't enough for me to not want to use the dishes.

I just thought I would be extra careful. However I can't emphasize enough, I DID NOT DROP IT. It happened without notice by itself in the other room. After this experience I'm wondering what would have happened if that dish exploded while my cat was taking a drink. Even just to make this review I had to look at the back of the dish to see what kind of dishes they were. I didn't even know they were Corelle. But the amount of anxiety I experienced getting my face close enough to the dish to see the correct spelling of the brand was pretty high. I felt like I had a loaded gun pointing at my face. I did like the dishes before but after experiencing this spontaneous explosion I have to throw them all away and I would not recommend these dishes for anybody anywhere.

I know there's people who have said they've had their dishes for 20, 25 years and love them blah, blah, blah... I get that. They're good dishes when they're not exploding in your face. But this is a warning. It's up to you. You've read all of the warnings and all the experiences of everyone here on the ConsumerAffairs reviews. And the day may come when it happens right there at the dining room table with everyone sitting around enjoying their dinner. You may have an exploding dish that you did not drop... You did not bump. Those shards shoot out and may stick in someone's eye OR best case scenario all the little tiny shards are going to come raining down on everyone's food. At least you can just throw the food away. But it could happen and it has happened.

It's extremely scary especially if you have pets or children. This company has to be responsible and do something about this issue. It's very dangerous and irresponsible to design exploding dishes (according to other reviews on here where people have talked to the company and representatives have allegedly said that the dishes are designed to shatter in this manner). Wow. Something we eat off of that we put our faces inches from at times. I hate to sound dramatic but I just had to post something considering this just happened to me a few minutes ago so I'm a bit on edge. Sorry but... Take these horrible dishes off the market. You may love them now but it only takes one time. The picture below on the floor is how I found the dish when I walked into the room. I had not previously touched it or moved it. And I added a picture of the back of the broken dish to show that it is, in fact, Corelle dishware by Corning.

Original review: June 5, 2016

We have a set of Corelle plates. We've had it for several months and we use it everyday. We have lots of plates but Corelle is our favorite. It's light, shiny and easy to wash. I haven't tried dropping it to test how durable it is but I won't - it's a little expensive. The only thing I noticed is that when it got stained by coffee grains (I brew coffee), the stain penetrated the plate (absorbed by the plate) and no matter how I tried to remove it by using different dishwashing liquids, the stain is still there. Maybe the stain reacted with the plate's material. If coffee grains stain a cloth, I won't have a problem removing it. But I was surprised how difficult it was to remove the stain on the plate, considering it's shiny and glass-like material which anyone would think any stain can't penetrate. It's been months since it got stained and now, the stain is still there but almost not that noticeable anymore. In spite of that, we still love it and use it every day.

Original review: June 4, 2016

I went to the outlet store of Corelle in Tracy, Ca last May. They've got almost all the products of Corelle there plus some other products like Corningware and Rubbermaid. The best thing about that store is everything is discounted. I got myself 2 boxes of set plates - one for me and one for my mother. If you also get 20 pcs. or more of Corelle plates, all the plates will be 50% off. So I had no choice but to buy myself again 20 pcs or more. The guy at that store was very helpful and even told me that I am eligible for getting the white Corelle bowls for a very low price since I purchased a lot. So I again purchased 2 white bowls. They were really neat looking and could be paired with any plate of any color. I hope these plates will really last a long time.

Original review: June 4, 2016

I went to the outlet store of Corelle in Tracy, CA last May. They've got almost all the products of Corelle there plus some other products like Corningware and Rubbermaid. The best thing about that store is everything is discounted. I got myself 2 boxes of set plates - one for me and one for my mother. If you also get 20 pcs. or more of Corelle plates, all the plates will be 50% off. So I had no choice but to buy myself again 20 pcs or more. The guy at that store was very helpful and even told me that I am eligible for getting the white Corelle bowls for a very low price since I purchased a lot. So I again purchased 2 white bowls. They were really neat looking and could be paired with any plate of any color. I hope these plates will really last a long time.

Original review: June 2, 2016

Hi my Grandmother bought me 2 sets of the Simple Lines square dishes about 4 years ago now. From the set I think I have about 4 plates, 3 bowls, and 2 cups left. I am a single female and like to think I am easy going in the kitchen. The other day I was baking a loaf of bread and placed the bread ONLY on a large plate. I barely got it on and the plate and it broke in 3 pieces... About 2 years ago I was cooking in the kitchen, and had placed a tomato in a bowl to use with peppers. I accidentally knocked it off and it broke into so many pieces, it took me a few vacuums to clean up!! These are just 2 of the stories...

Since these were a gift from my grandmother, I called the company and wrote to them. They tried to sell me a new set HA! I told them "I thought your company had a no shatter/break guarantee?" I was told not - "we never had one!" What?? Since when? I can remember having I think at least 4 sets in my time and never remember 1 broken dish until this set! After going back and forth via email/phone they agreed to send me 2 cups and 2 plates and 3 bowls to APPEASE me... LOL at this company! I am down to the above and have begun checking out other dish companies. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM CORELLE AGAIN! Good luck and I hope people read this before they spend 300+ dollars on dishes that break for absolutely NO reason! I am going to try Targets dishes next - they look thicker than these. Good luck all! And to CORELLE shame on your company!!

Original review: June 1, 2016

Love these dishes, but the new Bosch dishwasher that I have has chipped the edges on quite a few of the bowls. Had d/w repair person out and he stated that it could NOT be the d/w fault - so why all of a sudden are my cereal bowls chipping? Been using this brand for years and got some new bowls a few years ago. Could this be the problem? Are they not made as well as they used to be?

Original review: May 22, 2016

Bought a set of Corelle dinnerware because it was made in America. We only have two people in our home. Very careful how we handle our products. One dish slipped and fell about about 14 inches on the counter. Shattered into many pieces.

Original review: March 29, 2016

I have had my dishes for 8 years. Now when I put the dishes away (stacked) all the outside edges look dirty. The edges do not have a finish on them. The edges are rough so collect dirt. What or if anything can I do about this.

Not sure about Corelle Dishes?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Cookware Brands for you.

Corelle Dishes Company Information

www.corelle.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business