Corelle Dishes

Compare Cookware Brands

Research top Cookware Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A recently purchased Aqua Tile Corelle dish popped a shard off the rim without even being touched. It lodged in my sofa and I ended up with a trip to ER and stitches. World Kitchen - Corelle, seemed to be very responsive to my initial emails and pictures of my injury. I honored their request and sent them my plate and a description of the incident. Two months later they inform me their Quality team has decided it wasn't a manufacturing issue so they will not reimburse me for any of my medical expenses. They claim the plate must have been bumped at some point, and this caused the shard to come off the plate.

I ate off this plate and it was sitting 3 feet in front of me when the rim shard literally popped off the plate. There was no bumping, no knocking of the plate and no one was near it. I find it totally irresponsible for Corelle to dismiss this issue and not care about their inferior product or their customer. I have owned Corelle dishes for the past 30+ years but the new ones are not made like the old ones. DO NOT buy Corelle dishes!!

Just about 20 minutes ago I was in my living room and I heard a pop and several pieces of something rain down onto the floor from the other room. I thought for sure my naughty 1-year-old cat knocked a plate off the counter. Then I noticed both my cats and my dog were in the living room with me and had all been woken up by that same pop. Um... OK. Now I'm wondering if someone is in the house. I peek around the corner and the dish that I was using for water for my two cats exploded spontaneously right there on the floor. It cracked in half and several shards SHOT into other rooms. What the... How crazy is that? There was no extreme heat or extreme cold. It was just a little bowl with a little bit of water. Is there some type of expanding and contracting going on over the years that makes them have to release pressure at some point?

I've had them for some time as my mother gave me a couple extra bowls and plates to have on hand. Didn't really care what kind of dishes they were. They've always been easy to wash, microwavable etc... I knew about and didn't like the fact that if you did drop them on accident they would shatter into a million crazy jagged pieces. But I knew about that issue. I've told other people with similar experiences of dishes shattering that they should get bone china which is designed to break into big chunks that you can just pick up and throw away (I used to work for Royal Doulton China in Camarillo California). It's true. The way Corelle shatters is very disturbing and I don't know why anyone with half a brain would specifically design dishware to be like that purposely. BUT it wasn't enough for me to not want to use the dishes.

I just thought I would be extra careful. However I can't emphasize enough, I DID NOT DROP IT. It happened without notice by itself in the other room. After this experience I'm wondering what would have happened if that dish exploded while my cat was taking a drink. Even just to make this review I had to look at the back of the dish to see what kind of dishes they were. I didn't even know they were Corelle. But the amount of anxiety I experienced getting my face close enough to the dish to see the correct spelling of the brand was pretty high. I felt like I had a loaded gun pointing at my face. I did like the dishes before but after experiencing this spontaneous explosion I have to throw them all away and I would not recommend these dishes for anybody anywhere.

I know there's people who have said they've had their dishes for 20, 25 years and love them blah, blah, blah... I get that. They're good dishes when they're not exploding in your face. But this is a warning. It's up to you. You've read all of the warnings and all the experiences of everyone here on the ConsumerAffairs reviews. And the day may come when it happens right there at the dining room table with everyone sitting around enjoying their dinner. You may have an exploding dish that you did not drop... You did not bump. Those shards shoot out and may stick in someone's eye OR best case scenario all the little tiny shards are going to come raining down on everyone's food. At least you can just throw the food away. But it could happen and it has happened.

It's extremely scary especially if you have pets or children. This company has to be responsible and do something about this issue. It's very dangerous and irresponsible to design exploding dishes (according to other reviews on here where people have talked to the company and representatives have allegedly said that the dishes are designed to shatter in this manner). Wow. Something we eat off of that we put our faces inches from at times. I hate to sound dramatic but I just had to post something considering this just happened to me a few minutes ago so I'm a bit on edge. Sorry but... Take these horrible dishes off the market. You may love them now but it only takes one time. The picture below on the floor is how I found the dish when I walked into the room. I had not previously touched it or moved it. And I added a picture of the back of the broken dish to show that it is, in fact, Corelle dishware by Corning.

We have a set of Corelle plates. We've had it for several months and we use it everyday. We have lots of plates but Corelle is our favorite. It's light, shiny and easy to wash. I haven't tried dropping it to test how durable it is but I won't - it's a little expensive. The only thing I noticed is that when it got stained by coffee grains (I brew coffee), the stain penetrated the plate (absorbed by the plate) and no matter how I tried to remove it by using different dishwashing liquids, the stain is still there. Maybe the stain reacted with the plate's material. If coffee grains stain a cloth, I won't have a problem removing it. But I was surprised how difficult it was to remove the stain on the plate, considering it's shiny and glass-like material which anyone would think any stain can't penetrate. It's been months since it got stained and now, the stain is still there but almost not that noticeable anymore. In spite of that, we still love it and use it every day.

I went to the outlet store of Corelle in Tracy, Ca last May. They've got almost all the products of Corelle there plus some other products like Corningware and Rubbermaid. The best thing about that store is everything is discounted. I got myself 2 boxes of set plates - one for me and one for my mother. If you also get 20 pcs. or more of Corelle plates, all the plates will be 50% off. So I had no choice but to buy myself again 20 pcs or more. The guy at that store was very helpful and even told me that I am eligible for getting the white Corelle bowls for a very low price since I purchased a lot. So I again purchased 2 white bowls. They were really neat looking and could be paired with any plate of any color. I hope these plates will really last a long time.

I went to the outlet store of Corelle in Tracy, CA last May. They've got almost all the products of Corelle there plus some other products like Corningware and Rubbermaid. The best thing about that store is everything is discounted. I got myself 2 boxes of set plates - one for me and one for my mother. If you also get 20 pcs. or more of Corelle plates, all the plates will be 50% off. So I had no choice but to buy myself again 20 pcs or more. The guy at that store was very helpful and even told me that I am eligible for getting the white Corelle bowls for a very low price since I purchased a lot. So I again purchased 2 white bowls. They were really neat looking and could be paired with any plate of any color. I hope these plates will really last a long time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Corelle Dishes?

Hi my Grandmother bought me 2 sets of the Simple Lines square dishes about 4 years ago now. From the set I think I have about 4 plates, 3 bowls, and 2 cups left. I am a single female and like to think I am easy going in the kitchen. The other day I was baking a loaf of bread and placed the bread ONLY on a large plate. I barely got it on and the plate and it broke in 3 pieces... About 2 years ago I was cooking in the kitchen, and had placed a tomato in a bowl to use with peppers. I accidentally knocked it off and it broke into so many pieces, it took me a few vacuums to clean up!! These are just 2 of the stories...

Since these were a gift from my grandmother, I called the company and wrote to them. They tried to sell me a new set HA! I told them "I thought your company had a no shatter/break guarantee?" I was told not - "we never had one!" What?? Since when? I can remember having I think at least 4 sets in my time and never remember 1 broken dish until this set! After going back and forth via email/phone they agreed to send me 2 cups and 2 plates and 3 bowls to APPEASE me... LOL at this company! I am down to the above and have begun checking out other dish companies. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM CORELLE AGAIN! Good luck and I hope people read this before they spend 300+ dollars on dishes that break for absolutely NO reason! I am going to try Targets dishes next - they look thicker than these. Good luck all! And to CORELLE shame on your company!!

Love these dishes, but the new Bosch dishwasher that I have has chipped the edges on quite a few of the bowls. Had d/w repair person out and he stated that it could NOT be the d/w fault - so why all of a sudden are my cereal bowls chipping? Been using this brand for years and got some new bowls a few years ago. Could this be the problem? Are they not made as well as they used to be?

Bought a set of Corelle dinnerware because it was made in America. We only have two people in our home. Very careful how we handle our products. One dish slipped and fell about about 14 inches on the counter. Shattered into many pieces.

I have had my dishes for 8 years. Now when I put the dishes away (stacked) all the outside edges look dirty. The edges do not have a finish on them. The edges are rough so collect dirt. What or if anything can I do about this.

I have used the Corningware Winter White dinnerware for years but mine is marked with the Vitrelle trademark on the bottom. I have never had a problem; so now not knowing if the dinnerware is no longer made using that process (Google "vitrelle"). And one can't assume a winter white off-brand plate is Corningware. The brand at Target is made with a different process. So at this point I am only buying the older used Corningware that I know to be safe and reliable.

We are renting a mountain vacation lodge. After making dinner and getting ready to serve it, I pulled a plate out of the cabinet, another one was "stuck" to the bottom of it and it came away and then hit the edge of the counter and EXPLODED. It was a disaster area. It was so upsetting. We needed HAZMAT suits to clean up the mess. Suffice it to say, dinner was ruined. I think they will be finding glass bits for years to come. My fear is that many people in the future will be pulling them out of their feet, not knowing what it is. They are so tiny and transparent when shattered. Terrible thing - so dangerous.

I wanted to bleach my white Corelle dishes and there were black spots on them. It is hard to remove. What is it?

As previous reviewers have stated, small cereal bowl was knocked off kitchen counter by one of the cats. It sounded like an explosion, and it did break into tiny, tiny shards spread all over kitchen floor. Never saw or heard anything like it, just happy the responsible cat escaped unharmed! Wish I could give minus stars.

We have been using Corelle dishes for 15 years. Yesterday after picking up a dish, I had a sharp object stuck in my finger. After looking under a magnifier lens, it turned out to be a fragment from the edge of the dish. After this, I wiped the cupboard with a paper towel where the dishes were stored, and found many fragments stuck on the towel. These plates have been dropping small fragments for years, and I never noticed it before. I think it is my duty to warn people of this potential dangerous ingestion problem. These fragments are so small they are hard to notice. I now wonder how many fragments I have ingested over the years. I included a photograph of a stack of 6 dishes. You can see the fragmenting on the edges.

If dropped it shatters in a million pieces and my main complaint is how hot to the touch when taking out of the microwave after only 1.5 mins. It burns and makes you drop them especially the bowls! This is not like my mother's Corelle dishes she had. Beware and avoid buying.

We had just sat down and had our Thanksgiving dinner in the year 2015 we SAT and talked a bit and then we were going to have dessert when my mom pulled out her Correlle ware from the cupboard. The bowl fell and exploded all over the kitchen floor. We were appalled my husband's thumb was cut. My brother had to drag out the big bomb sweeper and sweep up all the shards of glass that flew everywhere. What's up with this Corelle Ware? I thought this stuff was unbreakable? Who's making it? China??? This is one reason our jobs should stay here. Very disappointed in this product. It could really hurt some people and why isn't this under consumer warning on the package, will explode on impact or taken off the market completely.

I purchased a couple of Corelle bowls at Target about a month ago. Tonight, my 7-year-old daughter accidentally pushed one of them off of a coffee table (14 inches high) and the ** thing detonated when it hit the hardwood floor. Hundreds of tiny glass-like shards were dispersed in all directions around my living room over a blast radius I measured at 12 feet. How on earth are these things 1) legally sold, and 2) presented as break resistant?

I was given a set of Corelle Dishes and cups as a gift. I dropped one of the cups and it shattered into a lot of pieces. I thought it was a fluke and kept using the dishes. Tonight, I dropped a dinner plate and it shattered into hundreds of minute pieces. I was lucky it didn't injure me or get into my eyes. The pieces scattered across a 9x12 room. I couldn't believe it! I always used Corelle and, come to find out, it is no longer made by Corning. Do not purchase any more Corelle from World Kitchen. It is NOT the same product we know and love from years ago. It is a very dangerous product.

My adult son was kneading dough in a Corelle bowl... It shattered and cut my son's hand.

If you still think Corning made the Corelle Dishes, well think again. Corning sold Corelle to this "World Kitchen" more than 10 years ago, and the product the new company made is never the same as before. "World Kitchen" went Bankrupt once after they took over Corelle, and now, the quality of Corelle SUCKS. I have used the Corelle dishes for most of my life, and never I had such an issue with the Corelle products. And so, I try to contact Corning, and was told they no longer associate with the brand, or the company "World Kitchen", and Corning no longer made the product, and or able to tell me who is currently manufacturing the Corelle Brand Dishes.

I have Corelle Bowl completed shattered in my hand, twice in the past years, and once when I was pouring coleslaw into the bowl, and the other time, I was holding on the emptied bowl and walking towards the kitchen, and the whole bowl just shattered into hundreds of pieces and cut my hand in several places. Both time, it is the same size of bowl, purchased at the same time, just about 1 year ago.

Do not buy anymore of the Corelle dishwares, they could kill you. Just imagined if the one who is holding the bowl is your kid, or it shatters while you are serving your Thanksgiving dinner while your whole family is sitting around your dinning table. I try to contact the company "World Kitchen" who owns and manufactured the Corelle Dishwares, and never received a call back or respond.

My less than 2 yr old large soup bowls have suddenly started breaking. The first was last week - it broke into 2 pieces while hand washing, the bottom just fell out. Yesterday the same exact thing, but a few minutes later another shattered into a lot of little shards. What's up with the new stuff? I'm a third generation lover of Corelle & have seen less than 10 pieces ever broken, but each of them had been dropped. I don't how or why, the new ones aren't made like they used to be, but I'm sure disappointed.

I have many sets of Corelle and have been using them for probably 25 years. A few nights ago I filled a divider plate and started walking across the room and it exploded! There was an actual explosion sound which my husband heard from another room. I was left holding a piece of the plate about the size of the palm of my hand. The rest of the plate was scattered everywhere, some small pieces but mostly shards. I was barefooted and afraid to move so my husband cleaned the glass and food from the floor while I stood in place. I looked down to find my foot bleeding in 3 places. No glass had embedded, but the sharpness of the Corelle plate had actually cut my skin. A couple of days later I stepped on another shard which had to be removed from the bottom of my foot. Another sweeping found 4 more pieces of the plate, 2 of which were very sharp and were awaiting another barefoot.

I am so disappointed in Corelle because I have bought complete sets for 2 daughters and just gave another to my son's family with 3 small children. After my ordeal they have already packed their new set to take to the dump. Not sure what to do because I just invested in a 16 piece set of Corelle in one of the new designs and we all know it isn't cheap.

Corelle dinnerware less than a year old and dinner plate smashed into pieces. Tried to contact Customer Service, to no avail.

I love my Chutney dinnerware set, but from this day I will be worried when I use them and when not too. About four years ago a salad plate broke in two pieces when I was holding it to put it in the cabinet. Then about a year later a dessert plate did almost the same, but this time it was in the sink. Today I took a cereal bowl out of the cabinet, set it in the counter, and placed a cold tomato on it. Then it exploded in many pieces like never before and exploded on the counter in several places reaching almost every corner of the floor. I looked and the tomato was still on top of a middle piece of the bowl. One of the pieces got in my eye. I rinsed it out and no harm was done. Only a little discomfort. I almost never use the dishwasher. I handle them very carefully. I have so many pieces of this dinnerware and also coordinated pieces that goes with it. I really do not want to part from them, but I may not have no other choice.

Bought these because they were break resistant (actually dropped one in the store before purchase to check). Once home though plates actually shatter into 100's of pieces, & stick into any skin they hit!! Each plate that was accidentally dropped has shattered & caused personal damage. Still finding pieces week later. Definitely would not purchase again!

I was raised with these dishes and never did they break but now they are very expensive and they always break. I think the quality of this product has lowered since its inception and it is just like regular dishes now. I will not buy Corelle in the same spirit as before. I went out and bought a beautiful set of dishes but it is not Corelle. Not worth it. The colors fade, the dishes become rough and they break like any other dishes.

Four years ago I bought a set of the square Pretty Pink design. I have always heard good things about Corelle so I thought I would give it a try. They have such nice patterns. After 3 years I started noticing an unusual "chipping" of the paint around the edges of the plates and bowls so I contacted Corelle and they claimed not to be familiar with that kind of wear so they asked me to email pictures to them so I did. They told me they would get back to me in a couple of days regarding my complaint. To my surprise they emailed me within a couple of hours with a very general looking response saying that after 3 years they don't cover anything. Really? They couldn't have just told me on the phone? Needless to say it is 6 months later and tiny glass shards are flaking off and imbedding into fingers.

I am very disappointed in the Corelle and will not purchase the brand again. I will stick with stonewear as it lasts forever. The set of stonewear I received 17 years ago for my wedding is still going strong!

I had loved my Corelle dishes, been using them for 30 plus years. On my second set, but I have a problem with the edges chipping/color washed off. They are dishwasher proof and I use a store brand dish soap which was advised. Previous set was a blue pattern, same thing chipped and color faded. A friend has the same and her's are fine. The company did replace a service of 12 with a white service of 6. They told me to throw them out. Anyone have the same problem, would like to know what I am doing wrong?

My parents had Corelle plates ever since I can remember. I am now 47 years old. Approximately 8 years ago I bought two sets of dinnerware in the red stripe diner pattern. The set survived several moves and there it was only one small chip on the side of one of the plates. The other evening, I dropped a plate from countertop height onto hardwood flooring and it shattered into many extremely sharp curved shards. Unfortunately, as I was stepping backwards so the falling plate did not hit me on the foot, one of the shards shot underneath my right foot and I stepped directly on it. Because of its very sharp and curved shape, like a scimitar, it stuck very deep into my foot. It took several weeks to heal this deep puncture.

I'm wondering if the plates are manufactured differently now from the way they were in the 1970s. I know we dropped a lot of these plates as a kid and I never remember one breaking before. I have decided to get rid of these dishes. As others above have noted, the coffee mugs are not made of the same glass as the plates, so this review does not apply to those items.

Was putting dishes away when I heard a "crack" sound. I thought it was the mug I just put away. When I didn't notice anything wrong with the mug, I continued putting dishes away. When I put away some saucers I noticed that one of the saucers that was in the cabinet was completely cracked in half. I thought Corelle ware was unbreakable. I was wrong and very disappointed. Now I have to see if I can get a replacement.

Corelle Dishes Company Profile