1.71/5

Looking for new cookware?

117 Corelle Dishes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2019

We bought our Corelle over 25 years ago. And we still have almost all of the original pieces. When replacing a piece, I’ll search for the vintage Corelle. They seem to be more durable. Be aware, Corelle is a tempered glass product. The older Corelle won’t break as easily as most glassware, but they will break if they hit a hard surface hard enough. They are not unbreakable...

Original review: March 4, 2019

They advertise they are unbreakable but it’s not true. My cereal bowl fell on the tile floor and broke into hundred of pieces. I’m still cleaning up. I’m afraid my grandkids will accidentally step on some broken pieces and will hurt themselves. Is there a resolution to this problem?

Get expert buying tips about Cookware Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

When my husband fell with his plate in his hand, the plate shattered into over a hundred tiny pieces. I had know idea they would do that. Very difficult to clean up. I am disappointed. Glad it wasn't my grandchild.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

The OLD Corelle from the (80s and older) lasted for years and years without any chipping. Yes, they shattered if they did break, but that was rare. We bought new designs 15 years ago and all the pieces were chipping away at the edges. I thought it was because of the dishwasher. Three years ago we threw them all out and ordered 2 new sets for a service of 8. We got rid of the dishwasher so the new dishes have always been washed by hand in the sink. Within 3 years almost every piece (from the plates to the bowls) has chunks or long slivers missing from the edges. I have found long slivers in the dish water from these dishes. I think it’s time to say goodbye to Corelle. I used to love them. Not anymore.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

We purchased a set of Corelle dishes based upon their supposed reputation for durability. This turned out to be highly false! Within a month and a half, my husband was washing a bowl and it slid out of his hand to land about six inches into the sink. It broke into multiple round bands. We contacted them and they sent out a replacement. Before the replacement could get here, another bowl slid into the sink during the wash and EXPLODED into oodles of tiny pieces. We watched chips and shards fly OVER my husband's head from just dropping it (again, about six inches or so) during washing.

This product is DANGEROUS! We contacted Corelle again, but they have stated, "Although Corelle is made of an extremely durable glass called Vitrelle, known for its strength, it is not completely shatter/break proof. We do offer a limited warranty against breakage, chipping, and cracking under normal household use. This warranty does not include any breakage from dropping as that is accidental damage." Seriously? Having a dish drop in a sink during the wash isn't considered normal household use? This "supposedly" extremely durable glass breaks THAT easily? I am SO disappointed in Corelle! Shame on you for having bad products!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Corelle Dishes?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I purchased 2 sets of the 5 piece pasta set. One set arrived with a shattered dish. When I went to open the box I got cut with the tiny bits that are scattered all over the box. Let me tell you, it is sharper than glass and very dangerous. I told Corelle and they sent me another set. Now, what I am going to tell you is most disturbing: I placed a piece of toast and scrambled eggs in one of the plates, let it cool, then when I approached the plate (I didn't even touch it), it cracked and a small sharp edge went into my finger!!! WOW, I have never seen anything like this. I have always had ceramic and stoneware without this type of incident ever. Corelle wants to replace the dish... ARE YOU SERIOUS, I don't want Corelle ever again, these dishes are defective and very, very dangerous. They won't refund my money!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I own a lot of Corelle dish: dinnerware for 14, 2 pie plates & 8 casserole dishes, and owned another pattern before this current one. However these new cereal bowls get sticky rims after washing them in the dishwasher. I have turned the heat down and only load them on the top rack, but this doesn't help. The plates and larger bowls don't get sticky and are washed on the bottom rack. I have to scrub the rims of the bowls to remove the stickiness, it's not dirty, but who wants to feel sticky crud on your cereal bowl?!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered Corelle soup bowls advertised to hold 22 oz. The bowl did not have a capacity of 23 oz. It only held about 15 ounces. When I called to complain I was told to look at the bottom of the bowl to see the size.Sure enough there was a sticker ostensibly from Corelle they said 22 oz. I measured the amount of liquid that filled the bowl. It was only 15 to 16 oz. I called Corelle directly and was told by customer service that the bowl I had was considered to be 22 oz. even though they knew it didn't hold that amount!!! I was caused considerable inconvenience in trying to get a refund. More importantly HOW CAN CORELLE MISLEAD AND FALSELY ADVERTISE THEIR PRODUCT? I hope this will help others from being fooled. Furthermore I hope Corelle will STOP false advertising.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Corelle dinnerware, although chip and break resistant, are absolutely terrifying when they do break! My 9 year old was carrying a bowl to the sink when he tripped on a step stool, dropping a cereal bowl. The bowl shattered into hundreds of glass shards. He then fell into the shrapnel cutting his hand and nicking the tendon in his finger. He is now in a cast after 8 stitches and a trip to the hand specialist. I think parents should be aware of the danger these dishes can be if your child drops them! I wish I had known!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We wash the Corelle in the dishwasher, and the pattern has almost worn off. This never used to happen with Corelle. I am very disappointed. My "Iris" Corelle now looks like it just has tiny spots on it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Bought a new Corelle dinnerware set today that matches some dishes I've had for 40 years. First I noticed that the pattern (Cornflower) was fuzzy and indistinct on the new plates where it was crisp and clear on the older dishes. Further, I noticed that the pattern was a poor decal on top of the plate surface whereas the color pattern is embedded inside the older dishes, under the clear top coat of glass. One reason I went for Corelle was that dishes I've picked up over the years the decals all disintegrate after a couple of years in the dishwasher. Then I saw all the warnings about not using the dishes on the stovetop or in the oven whereas my old stuff has survived decades of such use (but not set directly on an electric "burner". That was enough for me and I've given up on Corelle as a quality dish manufacturer.

Original review: July 31, 2018

These are the WORST cutlery I have ever have. I have only had them for 5 months and I don't even own a dishwasher, they are all hand-washed, I live alone so I use them 1/2 the time. They have all cracked open and the plastic is chipping off at the base-into my food! Crooks are selling this set for $60 on eBay... I got them for $30 at London Drugs. DON'T BUY THIS CUTLERY!

Original review: July 22, 2018

Corelle dishware - Just had one of these shatter violently into shrapnel in the microwave cooking a pot pie. Good thing the door was closed or someone could have been injured. These are a hazard. Now I need to buy new dishware.

Original review: June 24, 2018

My mom bought me 2 sets of everything Corelle (for 8 persons) 15 years ago for my first boat as it had an unbreakable reputation. We have used it a lot every summer and last night one plate fell on the wood floor and broke in many pieces. As everyone is always barefoot on boats and after reading all the other comments I wonder if I will replace everything by melamine dinnerware...

Original review: June 4, 2018

Corelle had been my go to everyday dishes for years - recently bought a new set and many pieces have chipped in ways that leave razor sharp edges and are dangerous. Recently had 2 plates explode on the hot stove sending flying sharp shards all over the kitchen and into the living room and dining room. Luckily no one was hurt. These are dangerous dishes and we will be replacing them ASAP.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased a dinner plate, side plate and bowl of Corelle dinnerware at my local Home Hardware store about two months ago at a reasonable price and was quite pleased with the product especially its nice clean-looking, smooth and glass-like shiny surface. However, last night while preparing dinner I experienced the most bizarre incident with the side plate. I was breaking up a tin of corned beef onto the plate using my new ceramic paring knife when the plate spontaneously jumped up from the counter breaking into two pieces and also breaking the tip of the ceramic knife. I was flabbergasted. I've never experienced anything like this in my life. I was not putting any pressure on the plate with the knife and the meat was very soft, so what gives. I don't own a microwave or a dishwasher and I've never placed the plate in or on the stove or oven.

Fortunately, the plate did not shatter into a million pieces like it has been reported doing by other people because I also have a cat, who fortunately was not in the kitchen at the same time, which is a rare occurrence. I would have been devastated if he had been hurt. I plan on returning the plate to the store and requesting a replacement but I will not ever again purchase the product. After reading all the reviews I must agree that this is a very dangerous product because of the spontaneous nature of the explosions and the devastatingly dangerous wide-flung shards that seem to occur. Chip and break resistant it is not. This is a lie and is absolutely false advertising. Very dangerous stuff. Not to be used around children or pets. Be aware and be forewarned.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I purchased a set of dinnerware dishes about 2 months ago, dropped plates I was taking out of dishwasher. Two plates EXPLODED, large and tiny shards covering my kitchen. I'm cut and because in a wheelchair have two flat tires. I don't want replacements as am throwing it all in the garbage. I had a set many years ago and was fantastic but this is now dangerous junk. It doesn't just break, it explodes and should be off the market!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had ordered what I thought was a place setting for 8 people by ordering (2) sets of dishes... Turns out it was a place setting for only 2 people which I paid $119.98 (free shipping). I was very surprised when I received the box and there was only place settings enough for ONLY 2 people! I called customer service and went back to their website and sure enough it was how it was worded that I did not correctly read it. I was shocked at the sticker price but I'd really liked the dishes. So I reordered over the phone as they currently had a sale going on (it was buy 3 pieces of the same and get 1 free). Because of the cost I only ordered 3 different sized plates (bread, salad & dinner) for 4 people (no Chargers, no bowls, no mugs). My total was $119.93 for 12 dishes.

I was instructed to go to the website to print off a return form - they do not include one in the box. I was also told that they keep $8 for a restocking processing fee and that the rest would go back to the credit/debit card that I used for the original purchase. The following week I ordered an additional set for 4 people (12 dishes total) at another $119.93 and change. Meanwhile they have already received my return shipment and I inquired as to when the money would be back on my card. I was told six to eight weeks!!!

That is complete nonsense! Not only did they keep the extra $8 but then they already have received the product that I returned in its original packaging, unused. And now it's 6 to 8 weeks to have my refund money go back to the original form of payment. I could not find this anywhere on their website and was also not instructed when speaking to customer service about the delayed refund. Good luck on receiving your refund in a timely matter even though they will keep $8 & take your money for additional orders!??

Original review: April 28, 2018

I was putting dishes away out of my dish drainer. A small saucer was wet & stuck to a pan, it fell right at my feet & SHATTERED INTO A MILLION SHARDS!! I mean EVERY corner of the kitchen had tiny shards!! It took over an hour just to get it all up! I have 2 cats & was worried about them stepping on a sliver. I couldn't move when this happened because I was barefoot, so my husband swept his way close enough to hand me the broom. This happened to me in the 80s but when the plate hit the floor it did the same thing but the glass kept jumping in different directions, it was like something out of a horror movie!! I figured because it was old.

Recently I bought a new pattern & like them because they are light weight, but now I wanna put the whole set in the trash! They SHOULD be illegal because someone can really get hurt. Not to mention pets!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING THESE!! And I'm guessing you, like me are here because you too had a bad experience.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I bought Corelle 6 Plate set from a Corelle retailer in Kolkata (India). They have been marketed in India as UNBREAKABLE. Recently during dinner a plate slipped from my nephew's hand to the floor and broke into several pieces. If this is the quality of product Corelle offer to Indian market then it's unethical. India is just for market expansion. What about quality and brand name?? Quality product should be shipped to India and all 2nd and 3rd world countries. It's a request, our government has open the market to assure better lifestyle and living standard of its people. We buy these products in hope that they will be better than the local brand but incident like this suggest otherwise.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I bought the last set of Corelle dishes at Walmart. I did not like the pattern even, but my family always had China and Corelle. I do not like heavy plates. When I opened them up, glass was everywhere. The only thing not broken was one blue cup. It took hours to clean. I have chronic pain and wasn't planning on cleaning. My hand was cut. and I was very upset. I wrote Corelle. Not looking for anything but to vent and make sure no one else had this happen. Only mentioned my handicap because it was hard to clean up. I received an email asking for pictures and a receipt. No "Are you OK?"...or "Was anyone hurt?".

I called and I was told I needed to send pictures of the glass I spent hours cleaning off my floor and kitchen table. I am 50 years old. In my day, when Corelle was a high quality brand, this rep would be fired. Again, she did not ask if I was alright etc. When I said "You aren't normal people." she argued that she was. Normal people don't see dollars over human beings. Shame on you Corelle.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have had Corelle dishware for 30 years. I can’t believe I used the stuff for so long!!! Corelle dishes are unbelievably dangerous. Once they drop they shatter to tiny shards of glass. Some minuscule pieces are impossible to see!!! This is very dangerous for babies and pets. I freak out every time a Corelle dish explodes. You can’t put shoes on cats and dogs. Beware. I am finally throwing all my Corelles in the garbage. It’s total crap!!! Should be taken off the shelves!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I feel I have to report on the Corelle dishware that is not suppose to break. After two dishes that had fallen and broke into a million pieces. I am blessed that no children or my dog were near the break because pieces were thrown everywhere in small slivers. It took quite a while to clean up the dish to make sure we got all the parts. I will not put another Corelle piece of dishware anywhere in my kitchen.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Last night a Corelle dish fell out of the dish drainer onto a wooden floor and exploded sharp pieces 15 feet in every direction. It didn't fall that far and the floor isn't that hard. I spent an hour carefully cleaning it up and still suffered several cuts on my hands. Several years ago, while rinsing a bowl I bumped a the faucet and it exploded the same way. I ended up at the ER for several sutures in my fingers and still have no feeling in one finger! I don't care what the company says. It very dangerous and should be banned. I would never have Corelle dishes with children. After last night I'm done with Corelle!

Original review: June 11, 2017

We now have our second set of Corelle dishware. There is a distinct difference with this second set... Purchased when our family grew through the years. We bought Corelle because my family always had Corelle and it lasted and was known for its durability. Well, this second set has been quite a disappointment... Lots of chips and broken plates and bowls through the years. I am happy to have found the reviews from other consumers confirming my decision... I will not be purchasing any Corelle in the future. Decent dishware is now dangerous dishware. It is surprising to me that no lawsuits have been filed yet...

Original review: May 2, 2017

I'm a long time fan and customer. But just today my 6 year old was sitting with a Corelle bowl in her lap. The bowl had strawberries and blueberries in it, and it just cracked into three pieces. She didn't drop it. No these aren't new dishes, can't even tell you when I bought them. But the fact that it was just sitting there and it broke. Scary.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I began purchasing Corelle this month as a first time customer. I thought they were somewhat pricey and went to the 'Outlets', to compare costs. Holy moly! The prices at the 'Outlet' store were twice as much as those in the local store. What? Also, the prices in the 'Outlet’ store did not jibe from single items to boxed sets. There must have been 30 or more dish patterns and types of dishes. This just raises manufacturing costs... keeping things simple, aggressive advertising, consistent pricing, and relying more on 'word of mouth' through excellence in product keeps cost basis down, customers more satisfied, and everything else that follows. One more thing, I actually took a set of dishes back when I realized the coffee cups were ceramic material. If I wanted ceramic, I would have gone ceramic.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

A 13 month old mug cracked at the handle. Once upon a time you could count on the quality and service of Corelle and today was disappointed when they denied replacement. According to "Sharon" in the customer service department of World Kitchen, which is the sales department of Corelle, mugs are manufactured in China, therefore mugs are not covered by the "Corelle" brand.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I have used Corelle dishes and cookware since it was invented. I rated it a 4 instead of 5, because I learned that the current production of Corelle has a "watered down" version of materials in manufacturing, probably "made in China". This may open up the possibility of explosion in a very hot microwave. I understand that the modern versions are less safe to use in the microwave, but I like the lightweight and break-resistant qualities of the dishes, which of course, go from oven to table to refrigerator. The appearance and versatility of the product make it a staple in any kitchen.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

I heated up some food for 45 seconds. Set my plate on the counter and walked to my fridge. The plate exploded into so many tiny pieces. Shards and slivers of corelle everywhere. Luckily my dog, who was standing by the counter, wasn't hurt. But, I had to comb his fur with a lice comb to remove all the glass from his fur. I spent a long time sweeping and mopping and sweeping and mopping, trying to get all the shards.

Corelle Dishes Company Information