4.1/5 (10694 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers two protection plans and multiple add-on options to protect against unexpected home system or appliance repairs and replacements. Both plans cover household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington, but it has partnered with a company to provide Choice Home Warranty-branded products in California.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service
    • No home inspection

Cons

• $500 roof repair cap
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I had called and told the representative exactly what was wrong with the machine. I wanted to make sure it was covered before I once again wasted $45 on a service call. He assured me, TWICE, it would be covered. When the service man submitted the exact problem, it was denied. I called and spoke to 2 of your employees, but they didn’t care.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Approved for replacement for my refrigerator with an ecard for at a specific store. Not enough to cover the replacement cost. Need to submit check to individual for CHW's value. That way the customer can find something cost-effective covering installation and removal.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Dobberman tech arrived on time was very pleasant. He ordered a bearing, when it arrives he will return and install. I don't know if bearing is shipped to me or to tech but I hope it's fast. We need our dryer. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My outlets in my kitchen stopped working and I called Choice and made an appointment for a technician to come out. They responded to me right away and next day the tech was out and he knew exactly what the problem was and my outlets were back up.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

The last time I had a problem, CHW did their best to find a technician in my rural area and it was during the pandemic, so choices were limited, but my first claim was handled quickly, but I had to find a technician for my second claim, but was reimbursed for the cost.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

We had a sewer line clog. The technician from Mounts Plumbing arrived as scheduled. He listened to our description of the problem, spent a brief time investigating the issue and fixed it pleasantly and efficiently. He offered us options and we followed his recommendation.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Reasonably priced, good coverage, helpful sales man, what else can you ask for. I took out the best coverage and it was very affordable. They were opened for business early Saturday morning and had all the answers. Be sure to call today.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I am totally appalled at the decision made concerning my claim on my fridge..the service tech checked everything..looked up the parts..added what he thought his fee would be and decided it would cost near what a new fridge would be...He told your company the problems were normal wear and tear..You decided to be dishonest and denied both fixing and replacing it..We are in our 60s..no children here..We DO NOT abuse our appliances as you suggested as we cannot just go buy another..We take care of our things!! I will go to a more honest company and tell everyone NOT to go with YOUR company..I don't assume you will put this review out for the public but it is the total truth!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I have always had a wonderful experience with CHW, but this experience was a little frustrating. We had a plumbing problem where we had to turn off all water to the house. I submitted the claim online on Monday (9/19) and then called customer service and explained the urgency. I was told that our claim would be labeled Priority so a technician could be sent out right away. I called 3 times on Monday and was told we were at Priority status. At the end of the day on Monday, no plumbing technician was assigned, and we had to stay in a hotel. On Tuesday morning, a technician was assigned but for a week later (9/27).

My husband called the plumbing company directly to see if they could come earlier, and we were told the earliest they could come would be on Friday (9/23)--we had NO WATER. The plumbing company told us that CHW did not list our claim as a Priority. If our claim had priority status, then they could have come sooner. We ended up in a hotel for 4 days because we had no water. On Friday, the plumber came and fixed the problem in 20 minutes--it was an easy fix and took very little time, so it is frustrating that a technician could not be sent on Monday or Tuesday to fix the problem. I don't understand why CHW customer service told me that our claim was Priority status and the plumbing company said it was not. I have never had a problem in the past with CHW, but this claim was frustrating to say the least.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

The irresponsible attitude of CHW recently shows how much CHW ignores the difficulties its customers are experiencing. CHW customer service keeps repeating the message that it always contacted the contractor when talking about the difficulties the customer is experiencing and only to wait for 24 hours. In the claim status of the website, there are no updates on what the consumer has said, the promise that the case manager they promised will call, or the promise to return the service fee and connect another contractor. My contractor is Sears (A&E) with no response at all. If you read reviews about this company, you'll see just how bad it is. I think that CHW will go out of business by partnering with a company like this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I contracted for 2 Home Warranties last night for 2 homes. The representative I spoke with, Tracy **, was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I now have the security of knowing both properties are covered in the event there is a failure of some kind. I highly recommend Choice Home Warranty.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Had an issue with our refrigerator. Tech came out and went over the issue with the ice maker and found the issue right away. Was very knowledgeable about the refrigerator and was able to get the parts ordered quickly. Would not hesitate to call if another issue came up.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

We had a plumbing problem and put in a claim online one evening. Early the next morning we were given an appointment. The plumber showed up on time, fixed the problem and let us know that we had a 30 day warranty on his work. He was professional and efficient!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Jeremy was very kind, courteous, knowledgeable. Explains things well. He was very flexible with my at home work restrictions and my overzealous little dog. Recommend this company highly. Made sure they came out the day they were supposed to even though we had a miscommunication on arrival time.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

We bought an older condo that we thought was in pretty good condition. We had only lived here for 3 weeks when our a/c went out. I contacted CHW very, very late at night and received a reply the next morning. Someone came out in 2 days & fixed the problem & there weren't any hassles. Happy with this company so far.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I called today about a claim and questions about a more specific explanation about our home warranty plan coverage. The representative who took the call was very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. She deserves a good commendation. I highly recommend CHW for your home warranty needs. Keep it up CHW.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Recently, I had 3 claims within a 10 days. They have attend alll without failure. All are taken care immediately and assign technicians to look at it. They came on time and resolve the issues. First two issues was Electrical and another one with refrigerator.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The person I worked with today was excellent. He explained everything clearly and made sure I understood. He offered me great discounts. We were very relieved to know our home is covered for emergencies. This is our first home purchase so having this coverage is important to us. We plan to stay in our home for a long time and this coverage gives us peace of mind. Thank You

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Patrick ** did a fantastic job answering my questions and on that basis signed on as a new customer after being with AHS for quite a few years. We are hoping that Choice will not have the same pitfalls we found with AHS

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The tech was here early after a phone consult and was a real pro who jumped in, found the problem and fixed it. While the problem was relatively simple, it was not easy to find. After testing many outlets he found it and fixed it. Great job!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

We purchased our home warrantee in June and we placed our first service call September. We were advised that we would receive the name of the company, phone number and Technician's name within 4 hours. After 6 hrs. we had not heard anything further from Choice or the A/C company. I called and was told that a service company had not been assigned to our service call and they were trying to locate someone to respond. Then we received notice that a technician we arrive sometime on Thursday, 72 hours after our initial request. We finally received service 23 hours after placing the service request. We live in Florida and in September the temperature is pretty high. A 36 hour response time is unacceptable. (the technician rearranged his schedule to fit us in) If it was any other appliance a 3 day response time wouldn't have been an issue. The technician was great, but Choice's response time was a disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Choice found ways to deny over half of my claims. Some were approved but it's like rolling the dice. My last two claims were denials and then a third, they sent a plumber out, I paid my service fee and he never came back to fix the problem. When I called Choice for help, they said the case was closed and I would have to open up a new claim along with another service fee. How is that my problem?

In fact, they just recently denied another claim and when I called to appeal, their rep was condescending and got progressively rude, put me on hold for over 5 minutes and finally disconnected the call with no attempt to call me back. This was the last straw for me...I will not deal with anyone who literally treats customers like children. It's quite obvious once you've dealt with them a few times that their top priority is to deny. And because it's entirely their decision and they can't be held accountable, there is no true appeal process - once their answer is no, then it's NO! I would caution anyone considering Choice to do your research and check a variety of review sites and the Better Business Bureau for truly honest experiences.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

All went well with the contractor they sent to look at air conditioner. He was professional, prompt, knowledgeable and courteous. Service call fixed issue. The only reason I’m not giving a 5 star is it isn’t easy to get thru the automated prompts to request service call

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Derrick was great, answered all my questions and made becoming a customer a no brainer. Hopefully I never need this service, but is a great peace of mind especially being in a new to us older to the world house. Thanks! Ty

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I could not be any more disappointed in how this process has been handled, and it isn't even concluded yet. We have had another claim with Choice and it was handled very professionally and in a timely manner. This claim is neither. I talked to five different people from choice yesterday and two today. Each time I was given a different explanation and answer. Twice yesterday I was told the parts needed for replacement were in but the technician just hadn't picked them up. The other three times I was told they weren't in and it would be 3 to 5 business days before they arrived for the technician to get them. In these calls I was interrupted, I was hung up on, I was placed on hold mid-sentence, and overall spoke to incredibly rude. If some of the people I spoke to were my employees I would not want them representing my brand.

I approved the claim on Tuesday September 20th and 4 days later the parts have finally been ordered. I was told they were arriving the 21st, I was a told they had arrived the 21st, I had been told they were ordered on the 21st, and now I am told that they are ordered today on the 23rd. Any reasonable person should be able to see that there is apparently a disconnect on the part of choice when I cannot get a straight answer and that answer is constantly changing. I get that a claim changes as time goes on but not in the order that I was told. It seemed as every representative I talk to contradicted the one before.

Recently I spoke to a case manager yesterday, Brittany, and she told me the parts were available and the technician probably doesn't want to pick them up because he is trying to get the business directly for himself. She was very blunt about that. I let the technician know that the parts were available for pickup, and she informed me she would re-email the notification that they were ready to him. Today, the 23rd, the technician went to the location where the parts were supposed to be and called me from there because they did not have the parts nor had any record of the purchase order that choice had given them.

I am simply at a loss. A loss for words on how unprofessional every phone call was and how the so-called managers handled this. I am at a loss how a claim can be put in a week ago and just today the parts are finally ordered which I am told will take 3 to 5 business days. I understand that choice home warranty is not an emergency service, however, this is entirely unacceptable when I put a claim in the morning of the 17th, I did not have anyone take my claim until the morning of the 19th. The technician came out on the 20th. And all of that time frame I understood and could accept. It's what has happened since that I find unacceptable.

The technician has told myself and choice time and time again that he has the parts available and could get them and repair my unit on the 23rd or 24th. Choice rather have an upset customer When by the time this is repaired it will be at least 2 weeks from when I first put the claim in. Please tell me how that is acceptable for an air conditioning unit for a home with two children, two dogs, and two adults when the temperatures have been over 90 for 4 days straight. I understand that some things are out of one's control, But when the technician can get the parts and have the unit repaired within a couple days why wouldn't choice home warranty want to satisfy their customers? But the biggest downfall in this whole thing is the way that each and every person I spoke with talked to me and handled the situation. I am just simply appalled at how any can still have a job.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Repairman did a good job and was polite. There was a bit of a language barrier. Didn't understand what was paid and what was not paid. The email from Choice wasn't received until after the technician left. Talking to a representative from the company was confusing also. He talked fast and with broken English.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

A/C had quit working. Called to request service. This was at noon on 9/21/22. At 10 AM on 9/22/22, tried restarting A/C. It came on. Still no call from you. I live in Arizona where the temperature still in triple digit. Very rough day. Called and requested service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Overall, we are happy with Choice Warranty service - but we had to wait 9 days with a refrigerator and freezer that were not operating very well. We do not have a second refrigerator, so the long wait was extremely inconvenient.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Very efficient, clean on presentation & while working, on time for appointment. Hard-working. Informative. Explains what he's doing before & along the way. Installed a new thermostat that we can readily read. Would recommend to anyone I knew in town. Has much experience & knowledge to offer to anyone wanting to learn. Am hoping to continue to have this gentleman, Joe back whenever he is the person to call. Thank you very much Choice Warranty for sending Joe out to fix our air.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Choice Home Warranty was speedy and efficient about taking my claim and lining up a repair man. The plumber did not come the next day, as scheduled, but called and rescheduled for two days out. The only delay when he was here was getting the approval from Choice Home Warranty. But both my toilets work well again.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information