3.8/5 (34 ratings)

About Cal Spas

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

Pros

• Customizable jet configurations
  • Warranty on all models
  • Hydrotherapy massage features

Cons

• No instant trade-in quotes
  • Prices found through local dealers

Bottom Line

Cal Spas offers a range of highly customizable hot tub models with a variety of seating options and jet configurations. All of its hot tubs come with a standard warranty, but pricing estimates aren’t available online.

Cal Spas Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: July 31, 2020

It's been a good experience having the Cal Spa installed. I use it 2x a month and it's relaxing. It's also of good quality.

Original review: July 24, 2020

We were at a state fair and found Cal Spas there. I did my research and got a good price. We got the state fair special model as our first tub and the installers were fast and friendly. It's a seven-person hot tub. However, when you fill it to the proper level or it has all the jets working, the water overflows as soon as you get four people in there (and for sure the seven that it will hold). You then have to refill it because all the water just goes over. I use the hot tub a couple of times a week and so far everything's holding up. It's quality. The only complaint I have is that the headrests degrade when they get touched with the chlorine water. Other than that, everything's been good. My family wants to come over more too.

Original review: July 23, 2020

We've had a hot tub from Cal Spas for years and when I've had to speak with them, everything's good. My husband was here when they came and installation went fine. So far, the quality is good.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I heard about Cal Spas through the state fair. Installation was good and the tub has been going on for two years. The headrests are falling apart though but other than that, it's been fine.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I used to know a franchise owner, a friend of past owners, so I have always seen Cal Spas at the State Fair. So, when it was time to buy, that was one of the brands we leaned towards. The quality of the spa and installation were both good. After the install, we had some bad wind that took the cover off. We worked to resolve the issue and Cal Spas took good care of everything.

Original review: June 3, 2020

“Don was a true professional in every way during our swim spa purchase process. He informed us of all the important information needed and effectively collaborated with other employees so that we could adequately test the product! Five star experience!” -Scott

Original review: May 15, 2020

I'm originally from California and I've always heard about Cal Spas. My parents had a hot tub Cal Spas when I was growing up. Then we moved to Minnesota early summer two years ago and we decided we wanted a hot tub in our backyard. We looked at the Minnesota State Fair during that timeframe but we weren't really impressed with the deals there so we went to Cal Spas' storefront. I had a nice conversation with the guy there and it was a painless purchase process. We did take some time to make some decisions because we weren't sure if we wanted the extra jets but all in all, we were very pleased with our purchase. When we first got the hot tub, we had an issue getting it hooked up with an electrician but it was not Cal Spas' fault at all.

We finally got it hooked up and we put the water in. They gave us the starter kit of supplies. But water in Minnesota is extremely hard so it took the whole bottle of pH and alkalinity down to get the levels right but they weren't right because we needed more. We were right in the middle of travel so we were worried that our tub was gonna get destroyed. When I called Cal Spas and explained everything to them, they got some pH down together and gave us a couple of bottles on the house. They had it all tied up in a bag and had it all ready to go so that we could just drop by, pick it up with the kids, go home and put it in the tub. Everything ended up turning out just fine.

Then they had the guy come out shortly thereafter to give us the lesson that they offer to new hot tub owners about keeping the chemicals. We had a problem with water and we went in there and one of the gentlemen who worked there told us how to take care of it. It’s been perfect since. I love the hot tub and it's one of the best things that we could have ever invested our money in.

When we first bought it, we got the lounger in our hot tub and we weren't gonna get the extra jets 'cause we were looking at the cost. We wanted to be smart but we also wanted to take advantage of what we were gonna buy. I told my husband that if we were gonna spend eight grand, we might as well get what we want. So we decided to spend the extra $900, get the jets in there and we do not regret it. It is the best thing we've ever done and we love that thing. It was a great investment and it will be with us for as long as we have it. We also asked how much the tub weighed empty because with our jobs, we sign mobility agreements and we may have to move. But it's well under the weight limit of what we would have so we will probably move it with us.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I love the layout for our Cal Spas. We have that 13-foot length and we have the benches all the way around. It works great however there was a manufacturing defect that can’t be fixed yet until the quarantine’s over. When the installers put the plastic subfloor underneath it, they shot nails into it and they were sticking up. And one of the water hose underneath that’s laying on top of those nails eventually vibrated straight through it and put a hole on it. They can’t get it fixed until this is all over. But beyond that, it's fantastic.

Original review: May 9, 2020

We saw Cal Spas at the entrance of the state fair where we go to. They feel like one of the more reputable companies in the area and we were able to get a pretty good deal on the one we got. Everything is working well. The installation took an hour, and it seemed pretty straightforward. The product we got is spacious. We can easily fit four or six people in there without really any effort. The interface took a little bit of time to get used to but it was not too bad and it's fairly intuitive.

The only thing we found, and we kind of learned this the first winter, was the cost of heating in the winter was pretty extensive and we had it kept to 100 degrees all year and the heating bill went up. It's like $250 to $300 a month just for that winter. So, we dropped this next two years and we really didn't use it that much in the winter. The next two years, we kinda set the temperature down to like 65 or 70. And then the cost went down dramatically. It makes sense but that was something we kinda learned the hard way the first year.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I love my Cal Spas. I don't use it as often as I thought I would, but I love it when I do use it. I got the gazebo with it and at night, I have lights around it. It looks so pretty, and I just like going in there and relaxing. I bought it at the LA County Fair two years ago. It just appealed to me when I saw it that they had it in the gazebo, and that's what I wanted.

Original review: April 4, 2020

We saw Cal Spas at the Minnesota State Fair. I was here when the delivery guys were here and they were all very good, very professional, and very fast. The only complaint I have about the tub is the lights around the outside of the control panel are not able to turn off. It’s always on. I just cover it with a towel. But other than that, I've been very pleased with the tub. We like the layout of the seating and the jets.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Cal Spas is a well-known brand but we saw it at the state fair. We received good customer service when we got the tub. We installed it ourselves. After getting it installed, we had no help whatsoever. I contacted by phone. I couldn’t find the right manual because we were given the wrong one. And then, I went into a store and the guy said there wasn’t even a manual available for that one. So, it wasn’t until a month or so later did we get the manual for it.

We got the tub in November so it froze over and we didn’t install the tub until April. They said that in the first time using it, they’ll come and explain how to use it.

But then, we had a guy come out and help us, and teach us how to use it. He was there not even 20 minutes and that was it. He didn’t really teach me anything. He didn’t explain much because we went through all the options in the menu and he was like, “You don't need to know about that. That's nothing, that’s nothing. You only need to know these three.” It was temperature and speeds, and that was it.

Additionally, our starter kit was for the smaller tub and I had to purchase more stuff because of the iron in the water. And then, once the guy realized that, he said that we only had enough for the smaller tubs. But it’s just the hassle of trying to figure out how much chemical I needed to put in there because I didn’t want to waste it or put in the wrong one. The guy was like, “Well, if it looks like this, then just add a little bit of this.” And was like, “Well, can I get a measurement?” I was supposed to have the store manager come out but he went on vacation, and then, I didn’t hear from him after that. So, I’ve just been learning how to use it.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Everything went okay with Cal Spas, but it could've been better. Customer service is a little bit lacking. You'd call in and it would take a while to get an answer from them. Then, they'd have to farm things out and that took more time to get some things done on it. They used a delivery service and they did fine. They showed up and put it down. The one thing they do not do is the electrical on it. Maybe they should look at having the electrical done too. The quality of the tub is pretty good so far. But the tub I had before was a little sturdier. Also, they matched up the wrong Bluetooth to the sound system in it and they didn't correct it with me.

Original review: March 24, 2020

I have a Cal Spas hot tub. It’s a nice thing. I haven't been able to use it much but other than that, everything is good.

Original review: March 21, 2020

We did some research online independent of talking to anybody and had some ideas of what we wanted to do and looked at a couple other manufacturers. But we never heard of Cal Spas until we were at the Minnesota State Fair. The gentleman that we worked with was named Dylan. He was very good and very informative. This was the first hot tub we ever bought. I peeked at the ConsumerAffairs website before I bought the spa and they ranked pretty good, so I felt pretty good about the purchase.

In all due respect to the gentlemen that were delivering it, we were about 70 miles from their facility and they had about six other deliveries to do that day. They were thorough and they covered the basics. Would I have liked to spend more time with them? Yes. But as a guy who works on the road too, I can empathize a bit with the fact that they had a lot of work ahead of them because we were their second stop of the day. Cal Spas did an awful good job. They exceeded our expectations. We have been using the tub for a year and a half now. It has been flawless. The local branch where I get my maintenance items from for them has been extremely helpful, very good and very easy to deal with. And they have really been a good resource for me to keep the tub running pretty much maintenance-free since we got it.

Original review: March 20, 2020

There's a couple of things that I'll change with our Cal Spa but overall, it's good. On the corner where there's a shoulder massage or neck massager, the jets are way too low and they don't even get close to my neck. My old one had that and the jets were higher and got down at you. It sprayed some water so they made them lower. Now, they don't hit your neck at all. But overall, I like the quality. It's wonderful. I bought it for medicinal purposes more so than recreational. It's soothing on the back. I used to go to the chiropractor twice a week. Now, I haven't been there in four months.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Everything was perfect during the installation of our bathtub. The three big guys who did that were wonderful and they didn't damage anything. We’ve had our bathtub for the last year and a half now. We're happy and we're definitely enjoying it. We like hot water and I use the tub every single night. But we had to call one time and had some help. We got that all figured out. We have some issues sometimes. It’s random, but the tub won’t let us set the times and dates for the filtration system. The computer board is messed up. My husband contacted Cal Spas and they told him how to reset it by shutting it down and rebooting it. They explained to him that it was like a computer. It all worked great. He hasn't called them back since because he has done that a few times. It works for a while.

We haven't had any other problems. Our neighbor has two filters for his spa and all that kind of stuff. He has a different brand. He has to clean the filters constantly. We don't want to do that. Ours is perfect. We have one big filter which my husband cleans once in a while and we're good to go. We can buy one at 40 bucks which is inexpensive. We got two so one’s always clean.

Original review: March 12, 2020

We were at a Cal Expo show and met a gentleman over there. He told us to come by and that we could get a Cal Spas product. It was last year’s model and they gave us a nice little deal on it. Then for the installation, they informed us that we had to get an electrician and we had to pay for a crane because it had to be lifted over the house. I didn't like paying for it, but if you want it, that’s what you had to do. Other than that, I like all of the features of our new spa. I like getting in it and relaxing. I appreciate Cal Spas' service, too. I called once because I wasn’t sure about the heater. It seemed like it would come on quite a bit and I'd hear the sound like it was running. The lady informed me that the heater comes on periodically to keep the water up to the temperature you want. So, now I’m kinda used to that and I have no other problem. I also got a warranty on it and all the things that I deem necessary.

Original review: March 2, 2020

A friend owned the Cal Spa where we purchased it from. The rep was very knowledgeable and kept us in our price range. Also, their customer service was really good. Every time I called, I got a callback. The installation was easy-peasy. They laid the pad and positioned everything just fine. There was kind of a hang-up with the type of lift on the cover, but it was fixed quickly. I like that the tub holds the water and that it gets hot. I also like the massaging jets. I wish I could’ve got the ones that moved more, but its positioning is a pretty good fit for my body.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I got a hot tub from Cal Spas and the grandkids enjoy it. It's a sun spa and it got jets and lights. I like relaxing in it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

When we were at the state fair a few years back, we purchased our Cal Spas. This is our second year having it. We love it. For Christmas, we purchased some steps. They’re better than the step stool that we were using. So, we love that too. We’ve told pretty much all our friends about Cal Spas.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I had a Cal Spas before and got another one from them. This one is a lot better than the old one. It has better controls, and there are more jets and features. The installation went reasonably good, except for the fact that the dealership wouldn’t connect the electrical. They refused to do it. I had to deal with the electrical connection. They were sort of not very consumer-friendly. But other than that, I was reasonably satisfied. Right now, I went out and it doesn’t work. It’s got a GFI fault. It’s got a short circuit somewhere. The quality is not very good at all.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I like the jets and the number of jets on the Cal Spas tub. And everything went the way it was supposed to during the installation.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I looked up a Cal Spas place on the internet, and when I found where it was, I went over there. It was close to home and it was convenient. The installation went really well and the quality of the spa is good. I like the jets and they're really good. Working with Cal Spas was a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I ordered my Hot Tub through Costco at a nice discount. Upon final installation the installer noticed a leak coming from one of the jets. I reached out to Costco and they told me I would need to reach out to Cal Spas. I purchased the unit back in October 2019. Since the service was reported Cal Spas has been very gifted at giving us and Costco the runaround about fixing the problem. We had to pay $95.00 to get their recommended warranty company to come look at it... He determined it was leaking and needed to be re-sealed but needed to wait on a part. The second trip he determined he couldn't get it to seal. Costco was told by Cal Spas that they talked to me and they would come back out on January 2, 2020 to fix it but, they had never reached out. Costco has been trying to connect with them but has been unsuccessful. Still waiting!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

We had family and friends that had Cal Spas in the past. I went on the internet and found the closest place to me, which was Secard Pools. We went down there and talked, and spent an hour looking at the different spas and listening to the rep. And we looked around for other deals on the internet, though, but we decided to go with Cal Spas. My husband got a veteran discount too. We got the Aqua 730 Lounge. It has the one seat that’s a lounge, and then it has the little lights in it. And the rest are seats and they have the jets on each seat and the lounge. Its quality is excellent. I would tell others to look at Cal Spas because it’s wonderful. I haven’t had any problems with it and it’s what I needed.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I bought a Cal Spas about 10 years ago. For this region, they're pretty much the best in terms of quality and total protection warranty. And I've had very positive interactions with their reps. I got an eight-foot tub, and the installation was easy except that I had to pay for repairing other things, electrics and the base for it. But I was fully aware of that. The hot tub is good. It works, and it has a decent power. It has good reliability.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I had an older hot tub built when I purchased the house that I was looking to get rid of. I got a new one from Cal Spas, and they took the old, crappy one. The representative from Cal Spas was awesome. The hot tub has jets, and it fits four people. The quality is great.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

During the installation of our spa, Cal Spas did very well. Since then, I've enjoyed being in it. It's relaxing. I do wish we bought one with the jet in the middle though as that would have relaxed our feet and legs more.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Our Escape spa from Cal Spas has been a good buy. It's really easy to install and I hooked it up myself. I like how it has a waterfall and jets. Though it has a couple of issues with tripping our circuit breaker, we got that figured out. It's of great quality. We love our spa and we use it all the time.

Cal Spas Company Information