4.1/5 (729 ratings)

About Cal Spas

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

Pros

• Customizable jet configurations
  • Warranty on all models
  • Hydrotherapy massage features

Cons

• No instant trade-in quotes
  • Prices found through local dealers

Bottom Line

Cal Spas offers a range of highly customizable hot tub models with a variety of seating options and jet configurations. All of its hot tubs come with a standard warranty, but pricing estimates aren’t available online.

Cal Spas Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

We love our Cal spa. I wish I would have looked into doing a salt water one, but we're definitely satisfied. It works great. My husband also goes to the store to pick up the chemicals and the reps have been great with helping out with any questions that we have. They've always been helpful at the store.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

Everything was good with my experience with Cal Spas. The installation of our spa went fine.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Our tub from Cal Spas works fine. The quality is good. However, we waited months because they couldn't deliver it and we're only two blocks away from them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I got my hot tub in 2018. I like the fact that you're able to pick the colors and lighting and how you want it to look. When it was delivered, the delivery people were very nice, helpful, and informative. I hooked it up and the quality is very good. I'm also enjoying that it brought some value to my backyard and it helped with the sale of it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Cal Spas is horrible. They need to improve their product. Their delivery people that showed up were worthless and we pretty much ended up installing the swim spa. Now, it has already developed cracks. When I tried calling somebody, I got the runaround and gave up. Once they've got your money, it's pointless. The whole experience was an absolute farce.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

My husband likes the privacy of Cal Spas. He can swim in it in the back and doesn't have to go to public pools. The installers of our spa were pretty good. The only thing is the foundation where they put the spa. The seat bent. They put the spa on too soon before the cement dried and it cracked. They tried to remedy that but they weren't able to. But the spa itself is working great. Customer service has been great too. If we have any questions, they are very willing to show us and help us.

We like our Cal Spas and it has been nice. We were really going in the spa until I had a car accident and my husband got hurt too. We haven't been able to get into it for maybe a year. But our grandkids loved it. It’s really cold here right now but I would like to start using the spa again. And I will as soon as the doctor lets me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

The people at the Cal Spas showroom were spectacular. Our landscaper drove over to talk to them about how things worked and they helped explain everything to him. The salesman was great and so was the lady in the office that helped us. There was a really good customer service. But the installation part was a little tough. We had ideal conditions in that we had a brand new home built. But the spa is so large that we had to find a crane company to deliver it into our backyard. Luckily no homes had been built behind us yet. What happened was the crane we hired was short and couldn't get in. And the company didn't bring the backup materials to be able to bring the spa to our front yard. They had to come back out another time which meant we had to hire another crane. We got charged a show-up fee for the crane. That was the downside. The delivery was difficult and unorganized.

That aside, our Cal Spas is of extremely good quality. Everything was installed beautifully. We follow the guidelines in the booklet that we got about how often to clean it and maintain it. With that, ours is in excellent shape. We love the fact that we can switch our Cal Spas back and forth between a spa and a swimming pool. In the area we live in, it gets really hot in the summer but we have access to the spa for the rest of the year. We like how it's versatile that way. We also really like that our Cal Spas is large for a spa. When we use it as a spa, we can swim around in the warm water. We really love our Cal Spas and we're glad we bought it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Purchased a Cal spa in June and currently making monthly payments for 4 months now but still don’t have a cal spa to enjoy. Production and ship date has been pushed back for 4 months now. I have been updated monthly by Dream Style Remodeling.

Cal Spas response

I am sorry Marci, There have been so many delays due to covid 19, and many customers are waiting just as yourself. The dealer where this was purchased is really good and reliable, but cannot deliver until we ship the spa. I can certainly reach out to him and request a refund if this is what you are seeking. I am sure during these difficult times the store will not have a problem canceling this order and refunding your money. Again, my sincere apologies for the frustration you have had to endure. Please contact me a Contactus@calspas.com, I will be happy to help you with this. Karen

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

The price and the amenities on the Cal Spas tub was worth it. I bought one back in 2002 as my first one and I just replaced it with another one. The installation took a couple hours and it went good. I have the Genesis model. The lights change color and it's got a little waterfall, a lounge and jets. We like it. Everything is good.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I've only bought one hot tub, and Cal Spas was the one. I looked at five companies and I went with them because of the relative cost for what I was looking for. The representatives knew what they were talking about, except with their estimate on the power usage. Most of the dealers were way off on that one though. Apart from that, the install was smooth and the tub is high quality.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I like the style and everything about my Cal Spas spa. It’s an all around 10. The quality is very good too. We had some troubleshooting questions and they took care of it.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Cal Spas is a good company. Their customer service is awesome and the spa installation went perfectly. The quality is excellent too. Right now, the head pillows for the spa are a little bit worn and I'm repurchasing them.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

My husband always wanted a spa. His family had one growing up, so we bought it almost three years ago now. It was a really good deal at the time. I had a friend who did an extensive amount of research on tubs and said Cal Spas was the best one to go with, and we had recommendations from other friends too. The reps were easy to work with and knowledgeable about the different tubs they had. We wanted something on the four to six-people range, and that's one of the main reasons we went with the model that we have.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

When my husband bought the hot tub from Cal Spas at the Minnesota State Fair, they weren't even willing to sell us other ones. They had other ones on display, but this was the special that they were trying to promote at the state fair. I wanted more jets, and my husband said no. This was the one that we bought. If you can get ahold of customer service, they're good, but they don't always work in there. I suppose that with the Coronavirus, they're not always in the office.

I hate this hot tub. It doesn't have the same jet power as the Sundance at my cabin. Cal Spas doesn't come out for service too. They try to talk to you everything over the phone. Right now, I can't get it below 106, so I have to add cold water to it whenever I get in it. I called and they just told me to try to play with the cleaning settings on it.

Cal Spas response
Mrs. Kris,

We are so sorry you are unhappy with your purchase. I was able to reach out to the dealership where you purchased your spa. It appears that they offer phone troubleshooting on how to set your spa controls so you don't have to pay for a service charge. Programing your controls is not a warranty issue and is addressed in the owners manual. It is much easier for you as well, when they want to walk you through the spa functions, than to again, pay for a service man to come out and do those things for you. If you would like them to come out, they will do that in accordance with their store policy. Check your filter cycles, make sure they are not set too high which can add heat to the water. If that doesn't work, call the store they will come out and attend to any technical issues you are having.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I had Cal Spas before and then I was at the state fair last two years ago and bought another one. The installers brought it, put in place and they were good. They have come back for cosmetic stuff since then. Being outside, the cover doesn't seem to hold up very well. It looks like the covers are getting waterlogged already. Other than that, the spa is really good. We enjoy it all the time.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Cal Spas is a good quality tub for the price. It's probably one of the better quality tubs out on the market. My friend was looking for a hot tub and talked me into buying one when he bought one. We both bought Cal Spas on the same day at the state fair. The installers were very good. They were very professional. It's very frustrating at times because we have it at our lake cabin. You have to be a chemical engineer to keep the water clean, and we're not there all the time. But we enjoy the hot tub.

We also spend a ton of money on chemicals. We don't use it for a week at a time, and sometimes two weeks at a time. It seems like we're pretty good at it if we get up there once a week. But if we don't get up there once a week, then it's like you get a truckload of chemicals and put it in there. I haven't really got anybody to give me any good answers on how to manage that better. I've heard from other people, "Well, you gotta get a saltwater one." I did spoke to the customer service reps and they were like, "Just dump more chlorine in it." So I just learned, "If it don't look great, just dump a bunch of chlorine in it, dump a bunch of oxidizer in it, put a bunch of oil in it." I just wish somebody would invent a feeder system for it and get a combined composite chemical that would work. It would be really cool.

Just before the year was up, I got three LEDs that are out in mine. I called them and they said, "Yup, yup, we'll fix that under warranty." I said, "Rather than come up there in the winter and try to do it in the winter, why don't you wait till next spring?" They said, "Yup, be happy to do that and we'll mark it down." So they marked it down. Then, in the spring when they were ready to come up there, I said, "This is gonna be under warranty. Ain't gonna cost me anything." "Nope, nope. Won't cost you anything except for the trip up there." The trip up there was gonna be $130. I'm not gonna spend $130 on a warranty item. So I still have three lights that are bad. I said, "Well, why don't you give me the lights?" They said, "Well, take out the ones you have and then bring them in." They said that they would give me the lights. I haven't done that yet. Other than that, the quality of the tub is great.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I've heard a lot about how good Cal Spas was and I just checked out the reviews. They were pretty close to my house at that time and I went down there and bought my first one. And then I bought my second one, and then I got the third one. I bought one a couple of years ago, and it went well. I've had one for many years. I got a new one and that was that my daughter's house. But when I bought this one, everything was perfect. It was a little tight trying to get it through the gate to the backyard, but they did a fabulous job. They had three or four guys and they manhandled that and put it right through there and set it right in the right spot. I then had a little problem, but they came out and fixed it with no problem. Sometimes around the control panel, the LED lights are very bright. So, when you're sitting in the spa and relaxing with the lights off, it's bright. Other than that, I love the features.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

Cal Spas seemed like it suited our needs, mostly the seating arrangements. The purchase was easy. The installation went smoothly as well. The one thing that always kinda catches people off-guard with hot tub installations is making sure that the electrical is set up appropriately. The product is good. We use it a lot with the kids so we don't keep it very hot but they certainly enjoy playing around and swimming in it as well.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I bought a six-seater from Cal Spas and the installation was flawless. The spa is relaxing.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

From start to finish, everything went perfectly. The sales process, ordering of my gazebo, notification/scheduling of the install, and the installation all went off without a hitch. Everyone was so accommodating, professional, and just great to deal with. I highly recommend CalSpas!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We saw what we wanted when we went to a local Cal Spas dealer. We liked the people there. They were very congenial. We had them come out once because this was a higher-tech spa than we had in the past and they were happy to come out and help us with our questions. We're very happy with the walk-in tub. We didn't buy a big one but we wanted powerful jets, which we got. My husband is a disabled vet and he needs to have that therapy on his back. The jets have been good for him and for me.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

From beginning to end, Cal Spas walked us through everything. They gave us their price list and all their different models. They were very informative. When I had questions and I called them, I got answers. Everybody from there responded to me and got things scheduled in. My experience with them has gone smoothly. The new Cal Spa that we have now is better than the first spa that we purchased in Costco and we have had more follow up assistance with it. However, there was no electrician to help do a section of the spa. I had to do all the work on that part to find someone to come out and do it. That was a little disappointing. Still, someone from Cal Spas came out to show me the buttons and how everything functioned. Their team is helpful and they know what they are doing. They gave me all the materials I needed. It has been relaxing to be able to go out and use our spa. We like it a lot.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

My wife and I were looking for a hot tub provider that would work well here in Minnesota. We wanted one that had a place close by to be able to get everything needed. We went with Cal Spas and things have been well.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Everything went well with Cal Spas. However, I wish I would have done a little more research. We bought the new hot tub and it wasn't as nice as the old hot tub. We still use it all the time, but the other one was a little nicer. The other one had a bigger footprint. It was 8x8 and this one was like their standard one. The other one just had more features and more jets. But this got the LED light that changes color. We bought it as an impulse buy. We were at the fair. It seemed like a good price so we bought it. But I would buy another Cal Spas. I would just wanna do a little more research.

Original review: July 31, 2020

It's been a good experience having the Cal Spa installed. I use it 2x a month and it's relaxing. It's also of good quality.

Original review: July 24, 2020

We were at a state fair and found Cal Spas there. I did my research and got a good price. We got the state fair special model as our first tub and the installers were fast and friendly. It's a seven-person hot tub. However, when you fill it to the proper level or it has all the jets working, the water overflows as soon as you get four people in there (and for sure the seven that it will hold). You then have to refill it because all the water just goes over. I use the hot tub a couple of times a week and so far everything's holding up. It's quality. The only complaint I have is that the headrests degrade when they get touched with the chlorine water. Other than that, everything's been good. My family wants to come over more too.

Original review: July 23, 2020

We've had a hot tub from Cal Spas for years and when I've had to speak with them, everything's good. My husband was here when they came and installation went fine. So far, the quality is good.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I heard about Cal Spas through the state fair. Installation was good and the tub has been going on for two years. The headrests are falling apart though but other than that, it's been fine.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I used to know a franchise owner, a friend of past owners, so I have always seen Cal Spas at the State Fair. So, when it was time to buy, that was one of the brands we leaned towards. The quality of the spa and installation were both good. After the install, we had some bad wind that took the cover off. We worked to resolve the issue and Cal Spas took good care of everything.

Original review: June 3, 2020

“Don was a true professional in every way during our swim spa purchase process. He informed us of all the important information needed and effectively collaborated with other employees so that we could adequately test the product! Five star experience!” -Scott

Cal Spas Company Information