3.9/5 (37 ratings)

About Cal Spas

With over 35 years of experience, Cal Spas is a provider of luxury spas and accessories. We pride ourselves in being a top Global Manufacturer of Home Resort Products.

Innovation and technological advancements are top priorities when crafting Cal Spas products. Built with more standard features and designer appeal, our products are a great addition to any outdoor space.

Pros

• Customizable jet configurations
  • Warranty on all models
  • Hydrotherapy massage features

Cons

• No instant trade-in quotes
  • Prices found through local dealers

Bottom Line

Cal Spas offers a range of highly customizable hot tub models with a variety of seating options and jet configurations. All of its hot tubs come with a standard warranty, but pricing estimates aren’t available online.

Cal Spas Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cal Spas?

Original review: June 29, 2019

I owned a Cal Spas in California about 10 years ago. They stand by their products and their name is worth something in the market. Three months ago, I got the Patio KONA Plus from Cal Spas and I had the ozonator put in as an upgrade. It is self-explanatory, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. It's a three-person spa for me, and it's working fine. But the people who brought it were understaffed. Two of the people that were gonna help put it in called in sick. So, I ended up having to pitch in. I'm not decrepit and helpless, but I don't wanna break any bones or get any hernias from doing heavy lifting. So, it would have been helpful to have more people here, but that was not Cal Spas. It was the delivery guy.

Original review: June 26, 2019

First review I have ever written. The worst product ever. The spa constantly breaks. No one in can fix it. No customer support. Spend money on WiFi connection which they sent installer to install but he can’t figure it out. Less the 3 years old and it never gets warm. Beyond terrible product.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have the Patio from Cal Spas and it's a good quality tub. The people who did the installation were good too and they were on time. I've had the tub for one year now and I've used it like 10 times. It's relaxing to use it and I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I got a Swim Spa from Cal Spas and they did the installation so it was easy for me. My interaction with their team also went fine but the salesman lied to me. He told me that they already had a unit built at the factory so I was gonna get a special deal on it. But when I got it, it was built after the time he said it was already built. The Swim Spa is at a cabin now and somebody is usually in it two or three times a week. Then if I’m cold, I can get warm when I go in it.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Our Cal Spa product is good because it does what we want. It’s a big one and above-ground. It’s probably one level lower than a swim spa. The installation process was very easy and it was good working with the team from Cal Spas. Everyone was very professional and helpful.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We saw Cal Spas around local facilities. Every year, we always went and looked at all of them. My wife had been pressuring me and finally, she talked me into getting one. It was just time. It turned out she was right. The people there gave us a really good deal. Two guys came over to do the installation. They carried the hot tub into the backyard and set it down on the ground. It was good to go. They also showed us how to do everything.

We have the portable plug-in spa that can accommodate seven or eight people and can hold 500 gallons of water. We've had our spa for a year and eight months now and we like it a lot. We still use it every day and it has become part of our nightly routine. We sit out, look at the stars, and have our husband and wife talk of the day. It's very relaxing. We are very pleased.

Original review: June 3, 2019

We recently purchased a new spa from Cal Spas. As a previous owner, I can honestly say that the sales experience we had with Don **. and the delivery/set up service we had with Mike and his team were outstanding. We researched a lot of different companies but none had achieved the certifications, accreditations and awards that Cal Spa has. Plus, the warranty with Cal Spas offered was equally as important. Professional, friendly, and no hidden or extra charges. Plus the spa is AMAZING and runs much quieter than our old one. We highly recommend Cal Spas.

Original review: May 30, 2019

One must be very careful when choosing a qualified retailer for these custom spas. Our spa dealer in San Luis Obispo (CCH Pools) did a good job installing the electric, but had no idea how to operate the spa. Several angry calls later, Cal Spa revealed that they used a 2017 operating system on a 2019 build. We had to find the proper user manual online as it wasn't provided by the dealer. SO: get an itemized invoice for every feature that you pay for and double check with Cal Spa. Make sure you receive the appropriate owner's manual and personalized instruction on use as the operating system is NOT intuitive.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Cal Spas' customer service was great. They were the first booth we saw at a fair and we did an impulse buy. A friend of my wife has a Cal Spa, and he said they were good to work with. That was another reason we went with Cal Spas. I've had some questions, and the Cal Spas team helped me out. We bought their product that they had a fair special on. They had a big inventory on them. Our hot tub is sitting on our deck. It's very product-heavy as any spa is, but the products are very expensive. So, it is definitely a costly thing to keep going. So, if the chemicals were more reasonable, I think they’d have more success.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had a excellent experience with Cal Spas. I got the unit because I have issues with my back and it has helped. We have the waterfall and the light on there. We also have the handrail, the Bluetooth speakers and the gazebo. The installation was also a good experience, although it was kind of a pain because I had to get a crane to pick the unit up over my garage to put it in the backyard. But the rep knew her product and was good. Cal Spas gave me some veteran perks too. Then when I saw the rep the following year and spoke to her, she gave me some information on how to keep my water clean. When I had to call for some repair issues, they were prompt with getting someone out to take care of those issues as well.

Original review: April 30, 2019

We had a great experience working with Don at the Plymouth Mn location. He was very helpful and educated. This helped us decide quickly that we wanted to buy through Cal Spas which has a great product and warranty. Thank you! -** Family-

Original review: April 20, 2019

We like the price and the size of Cal Spas. We wanted something that was large enough to have enough seats in it but enough room to swim and that would fit our footprint in our backyard. We got a swim spa from them and the installation was great. A bunch of guys showed up and they got it off the truck in the backyard and in position. They made it look easy. The spa is really nice and the maintenance is pretty easy too. It has a good filtration system with UV, the light treatment and keeps everything pretty clean. Everything's been working well.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The Cal Spas sales rep at the fair was very convincing. The installation was done well and I like the speaker system in the hot tub and the lighting. The only thing I don’t like about it is it is too deep. I’m 5’2”, and the seating is too deep.

Original review: April 1, 2019

When we first bought the Cal Spas hot tub, the cover on it didn’t do well. The connection was glued on and it was faulty. It lasted about a week, and then it came loose. I called Chris from Cal Spas and they replaced it. There was no problem since then. The hot tub does what we need it to do. We had the retailer do the installation and the experience was good. He was a good guy. We have had the Cal Spas hot tub for several years now and I would recommend them.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We've been using Cal Spas for a year and a half and everything has been great. The installers were professional and they worked quickly. I recommend them.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Great store that literally defines customer service. On a recent purchase, we had an issue that was not Cal's fault, but their team was out the very next day (which happened to be a holiday) and went way above and beyond expectations to the make the situation right. Rare occurrence in today's world where a high ticket vendor actually solves a problem all the way through. Cant say enough about the service we received!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I got a Cal Spas tub a year and a half ago. Their reps were very friendly and they took care of me. Their guys did a great job with the installation, too. They rolled the tub in the backyard, set it up, put it in place exactly where I wanted it and left. My kind of an install. It's a nice spa and it works very well for what we need it for. We've got five people in the house, which means there could be up to eight people in it at one time. Plus, it is a lot simpler system to run. The control panels are a lot less cumbersome than my previous one was.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I liked the spa design and got the Cal Spas Bel Air. It can seat eight to 10 people and it's their all-upright seats. There's no lay flat and I like that. We've had the spa for just a year now and we use it once a week or so. The chemicals took a little bit to get used to but we're there now. The Cal Spas team has been a good resource too. They have been helpful with the chemicals and what to do.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We inherited a Cal Spas tub from a family friend and we had that for quite a few years. Then we bought our own about a year ago. We went back to Cal Spas for their reputation and their price point, and their team was great to work with. Their level of customer service was very good. The tub that we got is bigger and our family enjoys it. It's an eight-person tub with the foot jets and water foam, and we try to use it at least four times a week.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've been using Cal Spas since 2009. I have two Cal Spas - a swim spa and a regular spa. The original spa purchase was at California Backyard and the swim spa was at a recent home show. I like the layout of the swim spa that Cal Spas has versus a couple of the other ones that are out there. The installation took about two months and it was good. The reps and I had a lot of messages, emails back and forth with photos and some telephone calls trying to get everything set up 'cause they weren't sure if they could deliver it to our lot. But in the end, they were able to get everything set up and delivered. Now we use the spa quite frequently. It's nice to relax and get a little workout at home and not have to worry about other people being around.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I got a good deal for the therapeutic tub that I bought from Cal Spas. The reps were very cordial and informative. The installers did a good job. They did it quickly and professionally. If I get a sore back, I'll crawl in it to help relieve my back aches. I use it about three times a week, and it helps me relax.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We saw this Cal Spas hot tub at the state fair and although we also looked at several places, we felt that the Cal Spas one had what we wanted. The installation was an okay experience. They brought it in, explained everything and told me how to set it up. But they didn't set it up for me because it was not full of water yet and they couldn't. But I'm a hands-on person so that was a little frustrating.

That aside, our biggest frustration is the distance and the getting back to us. Our nearest Cal Spas dealer is in the Twin Cities. That's three hours away from where we are. So in hindsight, I'm wishing we could have gone with more of a local company so that it would be easier if we had questions. The problem I have with calling Cal Spas for questions is you always get an answering machine. They have to call you back and sometimes, it takes a day. That’s frustrating. If you have an immediate problem, that’s not so good. Still, we really like the product. We have Kinship Partners which are kids who come and spend time with us and they love the hot tub. We're in it with them about three days a week and they really enjoy it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have a very limited space that we could use to put the spa in, and Cal Spas was the only one that I found that made a triangular spa. Nothing else would have worked because of the corner we have in our pool area. The reps from Cal Spas were very helpful and we had great interactions with them. We were moving to a new home and we couldn’t take delivery for a few months until we were actually in the house and they were kind of enough to store the spa for us until we were ready for it. The installation went quickly. I thought the installers were gonna wire it in for me, but they said they weren’t electricians, and they weren’t gonna do it so I had to do it. They may wanna let the customer know ahead of time about that. Their competitor came up and the guy wired it up for me.

On our other house, we owned a United Spas and it was a great one. The Cal Spas won't completely drain and I have to bail water out of it because the drain is above the lowest part of the spa. It creates a little bit of a hassle. It's also very hard to get on this spa. I have to remove the whole panel, and it's heavy and cumbersome. United Spas had a much smaller door that I can get in and purge the pumps, if I had to, from air. It was easy to get to, put on and take off. Still, I'm very happy with Cal Spas. I use the spa more in the winter than I do in summer. Last night, I used it and it worked great.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We went to the Minnesota State Fair when we did our purchase for our Cal Spas hot tub. With them, there’s gonna be local service and they have a good reputation. The installation went very well and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I purchased a six-seater therapeutic tub with 50 plus jets, and I've been using it for over a year now. When it was installed, the installers showed up as expected. They gave me good direction and everything was perfect. When I had to contact customer service early on in getting the chemical balance right, I contacted the Cal Spas in Plymouth, Minnesota and they guided me right through what I needed. They answered the questions I had in terms of quantity and what I was seeing with the water I have. I love my experience and would definitely recommend Cal Spas. With it, my body feels better. I also continue to be more flexible, and I have fewer aches and pains.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We've had the basic six-person Cal spa for a year and it sits outside. It has 20-some jets and it's been really good for relaxation. Everything went great during its installation.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We first heard about Cal Spas through the state fair, and we decided to get one since we owned a spa in the past. It fits six people and there are a number of jets from the installation. I use it five times a week and it's therapeutic.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Cal Spas had a good price and the package deal was really nice. They have the ability to look up the model number and know exactly what I needed. We got the 7x7 model and they did a great job setting it up, getting it in place, and then letting us know about the treatment and what to do with it. We enjoy having it on our deck. It’s nice to have something you can go out to at night just to blow off steam at the end of the day. It’s very relaxing.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I replaced a spa and went with Cal Spas. Dealing with their customer service was pleasant and easy. I literally pulled up the freeway, walked-in and made a deal. The hot tub had to go in an existing hole in the ground, so Cal Spas connected me with a carpenter that came. The crew dropped it off, and another carpenter finished the rest of the install. The product is beautiful and it’s working. I’m happy now that I have it and the experience is going great.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We liked the deepness of the Cal Spas hot tub and decided on getting the product. Cal Spas' sales guys were great and we dealt with a nice, helpful guy. After they put the tub in the spot, I had my electrician come out to do the rest, and the install went perfect. The tub is a nice part of our life now and I love it. My wife uses it daily and I use it a couple of times a week, too. We like having it. Cal Spas is one of the better spas, and I'd tell my friends to get one.

Cal Spas Company Information