Brita Water Filters
1.49/5
Based on 145 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a water treatment system?

Brita Water Filters

173 Brita Water Filters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

I have an older model Brita 10 cup pitcher w/ a white top which I fill and use daily and the water tastes good. I recently purchased a new model 6-cup Brita pitcher with a black top. I bought the new style pitcher as a birthday gift for a friend. After we both struggled for 1/2 hour to get the new-fangled lid on to the pitcher with the filter properly in place (It has some sort of mechanism built into the lid to let you know when the filter needs to be replaced), we both gave up.

Yesterday, my friend tried again to get the lid to fit and the little cover that goes over the pour spout broke off and fell into the water! He told me to come and get it from him today or it goes in the garbage! I don't get it? Why did they change the design for this smaller pitcher? And what the heck is the problem? The instructions don't address this issue at all! Now my friend is upset with me for giving it to him! My gift to him was basically a lot of aggravation, plus I'm out $30.00 to boot!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought a Brita under sink water filtration system from Home Depot 1 year ago. Filters (A & C) are to be replaced every 6 months. At the 6 month mark you could not get the C filters either at their store or online. Found out a Company called Protect Plus only uses the Brita name and they are the ones selling to Home Depot and it took many many calls to FINALLY get the C filter. Now it's the A filter that is not sold in stores or online yet you can purchase the entire system. If Brita allows them to use the Brita name they should make sure the consumer is not getting ripped off after buying the system. I thought I bought a product FROM BRITA! This is a ripoff and will tell everyone not to buy anything with a Brita name on it.

Get expert buying tips about Water Treatment Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Extreme gastrointestinal illness - I almost never post reviews but my experience is so extreme I feel compelled to share it in the hope of helping others. I've been drinking nothing but bottled water for several years but bought a new Brita 10 cup water filter pitcher in April of this year to save money and cut down on plastic bottle waste. I also bought 2 of the expensive blue filters to go with it because they're advertised as removing lead. After following the directions and carefully setting it up, my wife and I began drinking from the pitcher on April 14th. Within 2 or 3 days, my wife and I began having mild flu-like symptoms with headaches, mild nausea, some fatigue and a little loss of appetite. The symptoms were very mild at first and we didn't associate our trouble to anything other than maybe a random "bug".

Within a week my wife began having severe dental pain in all her teeth and I began having moderate to severe pain in both shoulders upon waking in the morning. My wife drinks a lot less water than I do and after about 10 days, she stopped drinking from the pitcher. In less than a week, her symptoms subsided and her dental pain was completely gone. I continued to drink a lot of water from the pitcher, between a half gallon to a gallon every day. My symptoms became progressively worse and by the first day of May, I was experiencing severe nausea, severe diarrhea, total loss of appetite, mounting fatigue and an extreme feeling of malaise.

I went to my family doctor who ran numerous tests including urine, blood, stool, ultrasound, etc. She also prescribed anti-nausea medication and antibiotics. My nausea was so severe she gave me a medication designed for chemotherapy patients. I was also experiencing night sweats, depression, a lack of mental clarity and even beginning to wonder if this was the end. My symptoms were so bad my doctor wanted to rule out colon cancer and set up a colonoscopy for me. I was so severely ill I had to re-schedule the colonoscopy for a week later. Taking the anti-nausea medication every 4 hours was the only way I could get through the day without extreme distress. I had my colonoscopy and thankfully the test came back clean. A tremendous relief.

By May 10 I finally put two and two together and stopped drinking from the Brita pitcher. I Googled "Brita water filter made me sick" and was met with hundreds of results from this website and many others with people reporting the same severe GI problems I was having after drinking from the Brita water filter pitcher. During this time the doctor's tests revealed I had elevated liver enzymes but was otherwise inconclusive. After stopping drinking from the Brita pitcher my horrible symptoms finally began to subside. The diarrhea stopped and after losing 23 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks, I began to get my appetite back very slowly and began feeling more and more normal again.

The past month has been the worst nightmare of my entire life. I've literally never been sick before in 50 years. No surgeries, no hospitalizations, no nothing. Now I've lost a month of my life, all my vacation days from work and have been costed somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 dollars for various medical tests and treatments. On top of being deathly ill for what seemed like forever. I'm highly suspicious of the Brita pitcher because my wife and I both got sick as soon as we began drinking from it and we both got well once we stopped. The hundreds of other individuals who report the same severe gastrointestinal illnesses after drinking from the Brita also bolsters our suspicions a great deal. Plus the only thing that changed at all in our diets during this time was the use of the Brita pitcher. We never eat at restaurants, we cook all our food at home and take our lunches with us to work every day.

From what I gather, silver particles are used in the filtration process and it seems a defective filter could possibly release a toxic dose of silver (a heavy metal) into the water and cause problems like my wife's dental pain and my shoulder pain. I can't state with 100% certainty that it was the Brita that caused out trouble but it being a coincidence is just too high to believe. At this point no one could convince me it wasn't the pitcher. My hope is that no one else has to endure what I've been through. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Thanks for reading.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am writing to share my story of health after drinking water processed through the Brita Water pitcher. My husband purchased the system and we immediately went from drinking plenty of daily tap water to equal amounts of water processed through the Brita water filter (pitcher). Within two days, I was struck with extreme abdominal bloating, intestinal burning, nausea, body pain, and metallic taste in mouth. I have hardware in both feet from past surgeries, and those areas were also heightened with burning and pain, not relieved with the OTC pain medication and prescription medicine (nausea and pain). I literally thought I possible had ovarian or liver cancer as the pain was so severe and I went from feeling vital with life to complete fear that my body had shifted to a serious health engulfed to a soul feeling of doom.

After almost two weeks of confusion and complete fear, I had a lightbulb moment and asked my husband if maybe going from complete tap water to this Brita water filter might have been too abrupt and we had deprived our systems of some minerals or other essentials that may be beneficial from tap water. Without my knowledge, he went online and found sites where individuals have shared similar negative experiences with this water filter system. Of course, we immediately stopped the filtered water and are slowly recovering. I hope people reach out to search online to comments that are informative about their experiences, as I was ready to start writing my obituary.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Received Brita Optimax as a Christmas gift. The tap has given constant issues leaking. Tried tightening and plastic cracked. Brita customer service not interested in helping or resolving. I will not be buying any more of their products in the future or recommending to anyone else. I have spent hundreds of pounds over the years with Brita jugs and filters. Seems like a Reverse Osmosis unit may be a better and cheaper option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita?

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchased the 34oz Hard Sided Chevron Water Bottle only a week ago from my local Target. I expecting a quality product being that I have the Brita pitcher and haven’t had any issues, not to mention the fact that I paid $18 for it. For that price tag I would expect to at least be able to drink through the straw. Not happening! I have to suck very hard which is actually causing my mouth to be sore.

The item also leaks quite a bit. Nothing a paper towel can’t handle, however you would think a trusted company such as Brita would be able to address the seemingly simple imperfections in the design of this particular product. I am so disappointed with this product. I was happy to find a water bottle that was big enough to hold an abundant amount of water to lessen the frequent trips to the water fountain. I will say the bottle does perform the function of filtering and improving the taste of tap water, but what’s the point if it’s near impossible to drink out of? Please fix this issue!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Unbelievable! Is it normal? I even cleaned a little bit. Unlucky me I bought 3 filters. Last 2 filters made a big mess. I have been trying to finish them. My mouth is so dry and I wake up during night 3 times or 4. I will definitely not buy ever again. :/ Back to bottles...

Original review: March 22, 2018

I bought a multi-pack faucet filter cartridges, and two of them cracked at the lower seam and water sprayed all over. When I contacted Brita through their website, they would not give me their e-mail address to send them a picture of the cracked faucet filters...conveniently "wearing-out" customers! Their products are really sub-standard!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I just purchased the water pitcher. Followed instructions to the letter... Vomited within 15 minutes after 1st glass of water... Chalked it up as a fluke... 2nd glass same result with terrible nausea... Will not buy any other Brita products!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I think Brita is having a serious problem regarding his filters. As me and my family have diarrhea and stomach pain for two days with our filter. After we decided to stop using it and used bottled water instead we were fine and no diarrhea anymore. This company should be investigated to find the underlying cause of people having diarrhea and stomach pain when using its filter product.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I bought a (used!!!) Brita Filter off of e-bay to save a few bucks. After struggling to install the filter for a few moments, I finally got it in and filled the pitcher with water, after rinsing it for around 15 seconds. the water was a maroon color. Why is this? Plus, what are the little black particles around the filter? I live in an apartment and park on the street and don't like carrying big plastic jars of distilled water, but maybe I'd be better off forgetting about Brita.

I know the company will defend themselves and the consumers writing on this will say it's the worst. Maybe it's somewhere in between. Plus, is drinking tap water in Bayonne, in Hudson County, New Jersey, okay? I know it's great in New York City because it comes from the Catskill mountains. Someone, please, help with some observations and suggestions.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Brita filter pitchers and filters are half-cooked designs at best. There are reasons why newer designs used by competitors include screw-in filters and snapping lids. Brita pitcher is plagued with annoying features, like these: The filters have to be spun round and round, until the grooves line up to seat itself into the pitcher, The filters float up out of the socket, allowing water to flow into the reservoir, defeating filtration. The hinged lid inside the larger lid falls down when trying to fill the pitcher with tap water. The whole lid assembly easily falls off from water pressure, when pouring filtered water out.

If you're lucky enough to get past all these pitfalls, water passes through small filters fast. That's convenient, but think about that - It couldn't possibly filter very well - or as well as the slower competition. The antithesis to this is a ceramic filter: Really really slow filtration; very inconvenient; but very good filtration. Summary: Bad design. This entire product needs to be redesigned. But it won't. Because the speed of "filtration", cheap replacement filter cost, and familiarity appeal to the masses - most who do not know the difference or care about even these real differences I've just dispelled.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Do not buy this product (Brita Longlast). I first installed the product in my water pitcher and I tested the filtered water to see how well it filter and it was not that great. It was filtering but who knows what it was filtering. I think it was just taking out the chlorine in the water and that is about it. I put the filter in on the 13th of October and it filtered very slowly. It is now the 22nd and there is no water coming out of the filter at all. We have a newer home and there is no lead pipes and we are on town water that filters a lot of things out of the water already. So there should be nothing that should be clogging this filter at all. It is a waste of money and poor filtration. Talk about getting ripped off. Do not buy this product.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I was cleaning my Britta pitcher last night and I could not believe the amount of unseemly slime that I couldn't see with the naked eye! I clean it fairly regularly, but due to some serious nausea and intestinal problems that are unexplainable, I've decided to explore my water. I'm pretty sure I've discovered the problem, this cannot be healthy. I'm going to bottled water since the tap water here is not good to drink.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I just called Brita customer service. I just got a Brita pitcher with included filter. I set it up per the instructions. The water tasted great for the first two days, but now the last few it has tasted sweet. The guy I called said they had never had a customer complain about it being sweet after a few days. I just thought I would put this out there and see if anyone else has experienced this. The Brita guy couldn't even give me an answer as to whether I should drink it or not. I'm thinking the taste is due to a growth inside the filter or pitcher. I don't understand how else the taste would change like that. They are sending me a free new filter in the mail, so we'll see.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Bought this Brita "classic" pitcher about 3 months ago. Wish I had read these reviews first. So many complaints about exactly what happened to me. And these same types of complaints were being written at least a year ago! The pitcher is leaking from the bottom - after 3 months! Its Model #: OB50/OB03 but I think the problem happens with most models. Will go buy a different brand. I thought Brita had a good reputation. Boy - not anymore they don't! I sent a complaint to them but they make you include the model number and all kind of other numbers. The model number is on the BOTTOM of the pitcher. Kind of hard to see if it's filled with water. Don't buy Brita pitchers!!

Original review: May 23, 2017

Brita is a waste of money. You will be doing more harm to yourself, family and friends. Brita does not clean or filter tap water and mine was growing a greyish white murky film after I stopped using it for about a month. Gross??? Do not waste $30 on that **.

Original review: April 9, 2017

We have used Brita pitcher filters for over a year. After changing the filters less than 3 weeks ago we noticed the pitchers taking on a brown tint. We cleaned them out today and there was a ton of brownish residue in the pitchers. Previous filters produced small black particles in the water. Considering having this "residue" tested. Anyone else seen this? Very disappointed... Check out the photo.

Original review: March 5, 2017

Brita water bottle filtration system is UNHEALTHY! My boyfriend and I bought 2 of these Brita water bottles with the filter already in them. We followed the instructions exactly and I didn't notice any weird taste from putting tap water in the bottle. When I put water from our old filter in the water bottle I noticed the water still tasted funny and had a weird smell like the water was still dirty and it was not filtered. So I sucked some water in my mouth and spit it back in a cup (yes the cup was clean and yes my mouth is clean as well) and I noticed in the cup the water was super dirty! It had a lot of white floaty stuff in it. I was in doubt at first that it was from the filtered water bottle so I tried a different cup and did the same thing. The water was still dirty so I told my boyfriend to try his and he did the same thing, the water in his cup was dirty as well.

So we both took apart our water bottles and rewashed every part and did the same thing. The water was still very dirty. I was disgusted we have been drinking that water. To make things even better we tested the water with a zero water filter tester that measures the amount of extra bacteria and lead in the water. The tap water alone was at 90 and the filtered water was at 132. Something definitely is right here. How was the filtered water higher? So obviously the Brita filter was not working. I took pictures of the dirty water and the receipts. We're taking the bottles back. We're just going to stick with the zero water filtration system and buy a new filter for that. I hope the Brita company does something about that because that is definitely unhealthy. I'm glad I went with my instincts. So for your better health stay away from their water bottles.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I just changed my filter 3 weeks ago, and the yesterday's filtered water today was absolutely green in colour! The value pack was bought at Costco, 6 to a package. I've been sick with something like a virus for the past 3 weeks, yet my hubby feels just fine. He does not drink from the Brita. There are other posts here that describe what I am feeling. Be careful what you buy. And, beware of the "new and improved" sign on ANY package!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I bought the Brita water pitcher 8 months ago. I was very happy with the taste using the pitcher. Within 6 months the inside cracked. Within 8 months the outside cracked in several places all on the bottom... Waste of money. Very disappointed 30$ wasted.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I have been sick for over a month with stomach cramps and diarrhea. My doctor took different tests and couldn't find anything wrong and attributed it to my diet. Today I more or less was drinking water afraid to eat anything. I have a Brita Filter, and just took a gamble to see if anyone else had a stomach problem using it. Lo and behold there have been many complaints. I just purchased bottled water and hopefully that was the problem.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I have been using a Brita pitcher for probably 20+ years. The water here is city water that does not taste very good. It has a pretty strong chlorine taste and sometimes just smells bad. I am a big water drinker and when we first moved here I would buy drinking water. Then we bought a Brita! Wow! Loved it! The pitcher worked great. I could drink our city water and it tasted great. Now, however, the pitcher does not work like it once did. Drinking cold water fresh from the fridge you don't notice the chlorine taste but let the water come to room temp and drink it. You will notice the chlorine as if you were drinking fresh from the tap. This isn't a recent change in the function of my Brita.

I have been unhappy with my pitcher for quite some time but haven't known what I wanted to do. I have been reading reviews finally and I will be buying one of the better rated pitchers very soon. But I really wanted to express my complete dissatisfaction with Brita to hopefully help someone else that is looking to buy a good water filtration pitcher. Check reviews! Brita is not highly recommended and I can understand.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

It was suspicious how a filter manages to finish 2 liters within a minute, but it wasn't until how it tasted and made me, my family and my cats all sick for weeks to realize the problem. I've drank straight from the tap and the shower and had 0 problems. Once I swallow a mouthful from a cup of Brita filtered water, I got diarrhea and is home-bound for the day. I even cleaned the pitcher and boiled it to be extra safe. Definitely water passing through filters too fast + chemicals bleeding out of sand.

Some people say "hey maybe you ate something bad." Nope I slept 12 hours, only thing that went into my mouth is that ** water. Some people say "hey maybe you bought a counterfeit from China." Sorry, but I bought it at a respectable store. And both the product and packaging looks very official and complete. I'm not angry at Brita, though I think the guy who got GI problems and ended up in ER should be. I'm just sad, because I will never trust you again and I have to go haul a couple stacks of bottled water home for me and my cats now.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I just moved to Florida and wanted to start drinking filtered water instead of tap. The first three weeks I drunk tap water and it was fine. Then I bought the Brita faucet water filter and ran water through the filter for 5 minutes like it recommended. I proceeded to drink about 20 ounces of the filtered water. An hour later I was literally spitting out blood and was feeling ill through even the next day. I'm very healthy and usually drink a lot of water but this is the worst water drinking experience I've ever had.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I bought my Brita pitcher about a year ago. I instantaneously noticed that the lid would never stay on when pouring the water. A couple months after that I noticed there would be water on the refrigerator shelf from the pitcher. I just knew it could not have been my new pitcher, considering I take good care of my things. Lo and behold, it was. The water leaks out in the refrigerator. I don't have the pitcher or can't locate the receipt, but it definitely is disheartening. The water tastes great. Bummer! I will be moving on to another system... any suggestions?

Resolution response: Sept. 13, 2016

I have to apologize for my first review. I recently bought a Faucet Filtration System and I was basing it on the older version. But found out the indicator is not a blinking light like the old version but a solid green color you have to look into through the glass.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

I bought a Brita Faucet filtration system 2 yrs ago and hooked it up like the rules said. But indicator that was to turn green to prove that the filter was working never did come on. I made a complaint to Brita consumer services. The service rep told me "it still works even with the green indicator light not on." But I told the rep that in the user guide it said the green indicator has to be on to show it's working. Rep would not suggest to replace it but to keep using it. Well as of today I bought another Brita faucet filtration system. Same thing happen. No green indicator like in 2014. So I will call them back.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I started using the Brita pitcher 8 months ago, but after several months a crack developed in the bottom of the pitcher. I live alone and am not rough on things. I had a rubberized shelf liner in the fridge and in the sink. So I went out and bought a new one, different model and a couple of months later there are several stress cracks in the bottom of it. I noticed this after noticing my refrigerator shelf was wet. This product is not worth the money if you have to replace the pitchers constantly! I will not be buying another one!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I've been using Brita filters for years and quite happy. Just bought the new updated one with the knob on the top. My water doesn't taste good now. My apartment water doesn't taste good and my trusty Brita filter used to make a remarkable improvement in the taste. This new filter doesn't help at all! What has changed? Did I get a defective box? It is the 10 filter value pack. Bought at Costco. Item # 987554.

Original review: July 23, 2016

Used Brita for several years and enjoyed the taste of drinking water -- tasted fresh clear and very satisfying. Purchased new filters almost a year ago. Very disappointed and emotional about it because cannot enjoy it as before. Left with several pitchers and several packs of new filters. I'm at the point of disgusted on how you can disappoint customers.

Brita Water Filters Company Information