Brita Water Filters

Compare Bath & Plumbing Companies

Research top Bath & Plumbing Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It was suspicious how a filter manages to finish 2 liters within a minute, but it wasn't until how it tasted and made me, my family and my cats all sick for weeks to realize the problem. I've drank straight from the tap and the shower and had 0 problems. Once I swallow a mouthful from a cup of Brita filtered water, I got diarrhea and is home-bound for the day. I even cleaned the pitcher and boiled it to be extra safe. Definitely water passing through filters too fast + chemicals bleeding out of sand.

Some people say "hey maybe you ate something bad." Nope I slept 12 hours, only thing that went into my mouth is that goddamned water. Some people say "hey maybe you bought a counterfeit from China." Sorry, but I bought it at a respectable store. And both the product and packaging looks very official and complete. I'm not angry at Brita, though I think the guy who got GI problems and ended up in ER should be. I'm just sad, because I will never trust you again and I have to go haul a couple stacks of bottled water home for me and my cats now.

I just moved to Florida and wanted to start drinking filtered water instead of tap. The first three weeks I drunk tap water and it was fine. Then I bought the Brita faucet water filter and ran water through the filter for 5 minutes like it recommended. I proceeded to drink about 20 ounces of the filtered water. An hour later I was literally spitting out blood and was feeling ill through even the next day. I'm very healthy and usually drink a lot of water but this is the worst water drinking experience I've ever had.

I bought my Brita pitcher about a year ago. I instantaneously noticed that the lid would never stay on when pouring the water. A couple months after that I noticed there would be water on the refrigerator shelf from the pitcher. I just knew it could not have been my new pitcher, considering I take good care of my things. Lo and behold, it was. The water leaks out in the refrigerator. I don't have the pitcher or can't locate the receipt, but it definitely is disheartening. The water tastes great. Bummer! I will be moving on to another system... any suggestions?

I have to apologize for my first review. I recently bought a Faucet Filtration System and I was basing it on the older version. But found out the indicator is not a blinking light like the old version but a solid green color you have to look into through the glass.

Original Review

I bought a Brita Faucet filtration system 2 yrs ago and hooked it up like the rules said. But indicator that was to turn green to prove that the filter was working never did come on. I made a complaint to Brita consumer services. The service rep told me "it still works even with the green indicator light not on." But I told the rep that in the user guide it said the green indicator has to be on to show it's working. Rep would not suggest to replace it but to keep using it. Well as of today I bought another Brita faucet filtration system. Same thing happen. No green indicator like in 2014. So I will call them back.

I started using the Brita pitcher 8 months ago, but after several months a crack developed in the bottom of the pitcher. I live alone and am not rough on things. I had a rubberized shelf liner in the fridge and in the sink. So I went out and bought a new one, different model and a couple of months later there are several stress cracks in the bottom of it. I noticed this after noticing my refrigerator shelf was wet. This product is not worth the money if you have to replace the pitchers constantly! I will not be buying another one!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I've been using Brita filters for years and quite happy. Just bought the new updated one with the knob on the top. My water doesn't taste good now. My apartment water doesn't taste good and my trusty Brita filter used to make a remarkable improvement in the taste. This new filter doesn't help at all! What has changed? Did I get a defective box? It is the 10 filter value pack. Bought at Costco. Item # 987554.

Used Brita for several years and enjoyed the taste of drinking water -- tasted fresh clear and very satisfying. Purchased new filters almost a year ago. Very disappointed and emotional about it because cannot enjoy it as before. Left with several pitchers and several packs of new filters. I'm at the point of disgusted on how you can disappoint customers.

I wanted to submit my experience because had I not found this website, I would currently be drinking lots of water and prepping for a colonoscopy. I have been using Brita filters in a pitcher as my sole source of drinking water for several months without issue. I bought a 6 pack of new filters and used all but 2 out of that package. On the 5th filter, I started to experience stomach issues. Of course at the time, had no idea what was happening. Just thought I was getting a bug.

For 5 weeks I had chronic diarrhea, was going to the doctor getting my blood and stool tested. It was perplexing because I had no other symptoms except a grumbling intestine (no pain or cramping). Everything kept coming back negative. The doctor prescribed ** and I took that with absolutely no effect. The next step was going to be a specialist (getting expensive now). So I started looking into everything I was putting into my mouth and the only thing that I was doing that could be considered a toxic level was the amount of water I was drinking. I read these comments and immediately started drinking out my tap again - voila! Literally the day I stopped that filter, my symptoms improved and by day two my diarrhea was going away. I am forever grateful other people posted otherwise I would still be keeping hydrated with my Brita-filtered water.

I recently started using Brita Water Filters and soon after starting having diarrhea. My daily diet is very consistent and has plenty of fiber, fresh fruit and vegetables. The only variable that has changed recently is the water from Brita water filters.

The Brita bottle filter works great as far as filtering. However, the bottle itself leaks when you turn or tilt the bottle. Also, the price of the filter cost more than the actual bottle with fine itself. I understand this is a marketing strategy, but this shouldn't be, and if you actually care for your customers, or at least give deals from time to time, like coupons!

With the new style. I really hesitated after reading these reviews for the new style water filter (just used my last "old" style that used the counter filter) that I just bought. Having tried it, I find none of the "leaking" that people have commented on nor does the water have an odd or plasticky taste to it. Our facility uses gallons of chlorine in the water (for no discernible reason). Taking a shower it smells like someone is pouring bleach over me. The first pitcher with the new filter tastes just like the water out of the old filter. GOOD. :) Buy without fear. IMO, these new-style filters are as good as the old.

I bought my Brita Water jug a few weeks ago. The water out of my faucet doesn't taste bad but I live in Florida & it was nice to know it was filtered through the Brita. After having it a few weeks my Brita water now tastes Metallic even after I just filled the jug. If I leave my glass of water on my nightstand overnight in the morning it tastes even worse. It has been making me sick to my stomach, just smelling it makes me sick, so I started buying bottled water again. The filter tests good, so there is no need to replace it, I've also cleaned out the jug. Nothing seems to help. At work we have filtered water, not a Brita, and it tastes great! So I know it's not my taste buds. I am not at all happy with this product, I don't remember ever having issues with Brita before in the past.

Our first Brita was great. Who did they sell the company to? We have tried to match the quality of the first Brita. We now have 3 Brita pitchers of different sizes all with the same problems. Water spills out when you move them and the lid falls off when pouring. We even tried a ZeroWater. The water tastes good but why can't the lid before? Listen to your customers while you still have them!

I have used this product for about 3 or 4 years. I have noticed that the "new" filter designs (and the old ones, too) allowed water to bypass the filter and flow directly into the pitcher. Recently I also noticed little black bugs (nope, not the carbon "filter" particles and I keep a really clean house) in the pre-filter area. Not a good sign. I will not buy another Brita product.

I have purchased three Brita water systems in the last three years, and all three pitchers developed cracks in the base and leak water. I think the manufacturer has a design flaw. Time to try zero systems. P.S. Senior citizen no children to blame.

I had used the Brita filtered water pitcher for years and loved it. I purchased the new sport bottle to use traveling. I immediately began to feel ill like a virus and my mouth and throat became very dry and sore. I stopped using the bottle and improved. When I started using the bottled water again my throat and mouth are again painful. After reading these reviews I am convinced the bottle or filter is contaminated. I will trash this product and I believed it poses a serious health hazard.

There seems to be a leakage around the fitting. Water runs down the filter's outside into the jug water below... a new problem with the new style filters.

I bought Brita filter in a pitcher from Costco in January 2016. Since then I got so much GI problems, extreme cramp, pain, diarrhea. I ended up missing work, going to ER and paid so much for different doctor visits and tests. Diagnosis: allergic reaction. But they did not know allergic to what? I went on a gluten-free, lactose-free, sugar-free diet but nothing helped. Since then my son got sick with diarrhea and pain. My husband with cramp, nausea, diarrhea. We removed the Brita filter from our kitchen and pain and cramp was gone. Imagine I had whole GI cramp for months and I always thought it is a viral infection and it is going away but it never went away until I stopped drinking water from Brita Filter. It made my life miserable. Brita stop selling these filters!

I have been using the Brita water filters for years and without complaint until the new ones came out. The old filters would last me close to 3 months where after just 25 days the filtering time of the new ones have slowed to the point where it takes 10 minutes or more to filter one pitcher-full. Consequently, I find that I'm having to replace the filters every 20 days or so. That's costing me a fortune!! I'm also very concerned about the pH and whether or not the filters cause a rise in the acidic value of the water. If so, that's very bad news for our health. I am going to start looking for other options too and stop using these filters. Any suggestions?

Just started using the new Brita water filter. The water flows past the filter too fast. Also the filter has a strange taste. It stays with you for a while. Tried the filtered water and did not care for the taste. Tried the water straight from the tap. The tap water tasted softer with no aftertaste. Can't use the Brita water filters any longer. Just don't trust the taste of the water.

We have been using Brita for many yrs. Last night 3/10/16 I came home, to a new Brita container on the counter. The old one was fine, less getting a bit muggly. I had dinner, filled a glass, & gulped it down. It was "WTF"??? It tasted best described as plastic. Similar to the off-gassing of a blowup pool raft, fresh out of the box. I didn't appreciate it!

This morning, now, I looked closer at the Ultramax that she bought. The filter was different style than the previous years. It wouldn't seat properly. Water flowed past it. This was the least of it. I took a sip, & spit it out. I retrieved the old container, put the filter in, & filled. I took a sip. No plastic taste. The night before was a long day. I was thirsty & gulped down approx. 16 oz of the plastic water. Let's just say, I don't feel well. The new 1 is back in the box, & will be returned. Amazon reviews were checked, & other complaints of plastic-tasting water are there, along with complaints regarding their so-called "new & improved filters."

It was a good run for Brita, as they had me for 15 years. No more. The old container will be tossed, & we'll not be purchasing any more Brita products. I have emailed the company, notifying them of the water that tastes like it's been strained through a freshly made pool raft, & maybe they & their employees should try this container, when it finds its way back to them.

Seeing other complaints of this problem, yrs back, shows me Brita was aware, of the containers tasting (off-gassing?) of plastic. To sell a product with a flaw as obvious & in my mind as serious as this, shows a disregard for not only my family, but for yours. I welcome Brita & all their employees to drink out of this exact container, & then tell me, "It's fine." I do NOT believe there is a way this can be considered healthy or safe. Brita, you just lost another customer, & we'll warn others of your "new" (?) product's many flaws. Attached are photos, so Brita can enjoy the water, from this exact pitcher. P.S. I will sign the bottom with indelible marker, with my email address, so you & your employees can be sure to experience what I suspect is damaging to the human body.

I drink a lot of water due to health issues and meds. I have a strong sense of taste & tried several different brands of bottled water & found Smart Water suited me the best. It is pricey & hauling big bottles around was a hassle so I decided to try a Brita. It was a pain in the a$$ from the beginning. Rinse the filter for 15 seconds, fill the pitcher but don't go over the top of the filter, let it drain through which takes a long time... then you have to repeat the process three more times to "cleanse the carbon out of the water". FINALLY (I have a lot of patience), on day four, I could drink my clean, Brita-filtered water, right? I was sick for three days afterwards. I threw up, had diarrhea, & a hideous metallic taste in my mouth lasted for a week. I KNOW I was poisoned by the Brita water. Luckily I saved the box & receipt--it is going back with a complaint ASAP. I would give it negative stars if I could with a warning label.

The newly designed filters do not work. They allow the unfiltered water to escape around the outside of the filter. Never had that problem with the old filters. In order to get "filtered water" you have to apply pressure to the filter the whole time inside the water reservoir to keep it from leaking the unfiltered water through.

Brita "guarantees" that the new filters for refrigerator pitchers will work with older pitchers. Not so. I thought the first one of the three pack that I bought may have been defective. But it's the same with the other two as well. I haven't noticed a change in the taste of the water, but have noticed how much faster the water "filters". The reason it's draining so fast is that it's coming down the sides of the filter and not through the holes. You can see where the water flows through the four holes in the bottom of the filter but also down the sides. I pressed down on the top of the filter while it was draining and that stopped the leakage down the sides. These new filters don't work. Looks like I'll be going back to bottled spring water. It's a shame that in trying to improve a product that Brita ruined one.

For those of you who noticed a pink film on the inner wall of their Brita water pitcher equipped with a filter, this pink film is comprised of colonies of the Serratia marcescens bacteria. This bacteria is one of the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. Google > Serratia marcescens (Wikipedia). Obviously, these bacteria are also present on the inner wall of the pitcher and inside the carbon filter before you can notice their pink color.

I have used the Brita faucet mount water filter for a number of years with satisfaction until the last 2 years. All of a sudden the units began to malfunction. The unit began to leak water under the collar section that mounts to the faucet. I am on my third unit since about 18 months. Before that I was replacing the unit about every 3 years or so. I hate to do it but I am going to switch to a competitor.

I'm a high level athlete and water is VERY important in my life. I've been a big fan of Brita since my first glass in the late 90s when my roommate in college introduced me to it. Have had one ever since and been very happy. Bought the new filter style when I could no longer get the old ones, as I'm not a big fan of change when something works great and didn't see any advantage at all of the new filters "filtering" the water quicker. I started noticing a weird taste using the new filter. So I changed the filter earlier than normal and soaked the new one like the old ones which helped a little but still a had a slightly weird taste. I tried for about 2 months drinking the water but felt like I was getting more thirsty as though I was dehydrated. I also noticed change in bowel movements and clarity of thinking and gave up thinking maybe I got a bad box of filters.

Purchased a new box, used one filter and the taste was worse so I stopped using it except to water some plants and started purchasing Fiji bottled water. A friend came over the other day and asked for some water and told them they'd have to get some from tap as I only had a few bottles left of Fiji and reluctantly gave them a glass of the Brita after they insisted it would be ok. They took a gulp and ran to the sink to spit it out and jokingly accused me of trying to poison them. So I tried a sip in front of them to assure them I wasn't and the water had a BAD metal taste to it. Way worse than before and the filter was less than a month old (I change the filters even though it's being used for plants cause I have em and don't need em).

I also saved the water from this in a bottle and filter for proof as this needs to be tested for chemicals and metals. The quality of the new Brita filtered water will probably put them out of business if they don't get sued first. Why sued? The old filters use to pH balance the water to a nice neutral maybe slight alkaline level. Every single time I've tested the pH of the water from the new style filters it is ACIDIC!!! Not even close to being neutral and the main reason why I stopped drinking it and switched to Fiji. For those that don't know, an acidic diet is the leading cause for cancer. Water being over 70% of the human body and me needing it more so because of athletics, I will never buy Brita again.

I have diverticulitis and celiac and it was acting up with the new filter pretty bad prior to switching to Fiji. For those that don't know, these are stomach problems and they got worse drinking water from the new filter and stopped when I switched back to more alkaline water. After reading some of the other reviews before posting this one I believe everyone who says they've been having intestinal issues. Fiji is expensive so currently looking into deep rock or another means of clean water with a neutral or alkaline pH. I've even let tap water sit out for a day or two so the chlorine can evaporate before putting it in the fridge and it tastes better than the Brita. So sad. I use to swear by this company now I will tell everyone stay away.

The filter is useless and I only feel like it filters quicker cause it isn't filtering anything but just adding negative stuff to the water. My water will come out of the tap alkaline and a slight tap taste. If I let it sit out, it's still alkaline but not so bad of a tap taste. If I pass water through the filter it gets a metallic taste, the pH is acidic and it messes with my stomach. Save your boxes receipts etc cause someone will probably file a lawsuit after the health issues they may get drinking this acidic, metallic tasting water. I'd give Brita a 0 star rating if I could.

I am happy with my refrigerator Brita and the filters. I used to just drink my water and had bad acid reflux. My son tested it and was loaded with chemicals. Since I purchased Brita water pitcher, my acid reflux is gone. I just bought 2 for Christmas presents. One for my parents who buy cases of bottled water so I feel this is a better way to go for them. I bought my sister one for the same reason. I also bought them BPA free bottles for them to use outside or inside the house. I was reading all the negative reviews and felt compelled to write my positive uses.

I had never had any residue of a brownish color before after using Brita for at least 10 years. The filter usually takes a few minutes to filter the water. Now it takes close to a minute.

I've been using Brita pitchers at home and in my workplace for years. The pitchers have always been a problem with the lids falling off but I got used to that. When I purchased replacement filters last week, they were described as new and improved with no need to soak them before use. There is a definite change in the quality of the water that is being filtered now. I find it undrinkable and like another commenter, needed to add lemon just to have it taste ok.

Brita Water Filters Company Profile