Brita Water Filters
1.52/5
  • 1 star
Based on 135 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need a water treatment system?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Brita Water Filters

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 5, 2017

163 Brita Water Filters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I bought a (used!!!) Brita Filter off of e-bay to save a few bucks. After struggling to install the filter for a few moments, I finally got it in and filled the pitcher with water, after rinsing it for around 15 seconds. the water was a maroon color. Why is this? Plus, what are the little black particles around the filter? I live in an apartment and park on the street and don't like carrying big plastic jars of distilled water, but maybe I'd be better off forgetting about Brita.

I know the company will defend themselves and the consumers writing on this will say it's the worst. Maybe it's somewhere in between. Plus, is drinking tap water in Bayonne, in Hudson County, New Jersey, okay? I know it's great in New York City because it comes from the Catskill mountains. Someone, please, help with some observations and suggestions.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Brita filter pitchers and filters are half-cooked designs at best. There are reasons why newer designs used by competitors include screw-in filters and snapping lids. Brita pitcher is plagued with annoying features, like these: The filters have to be spun round and round, until the grooves line up to seat itself into the pitcher, The filters float up out of the socket, allowing water to flow into the reservoir, defeating filtration. The hinged lid inside the larger lid falls down when trying to fill the pitcher with tap water. The whole lid assembly easily falls off from water pressure, when pouring filtered water out.

If you're lucky enough to get past all these pitfalls, water passes through small filters fast. That's convenient, but think about that - It couldn't possibly filter very well - or as well as the slower competition. The antithesis to this is a ceramic filter: Really really slow filtration; very inconvenient; but very good filtration. Summary: Bad design. This entire product needs to be redesigned. But it won't. Because the speed of "filtration", cheap replacement filter cost, and familiarity appeal to the masses - most who do not know the difference or care about even these real differences I've just dispelled.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Do not buy this product. I first installed the product in my water pitcher and I tested the filtered water to see how well it filter and it was not that great. It was filtering but who knows what it was filtering. I think it was just taking out the chlorine in the water and that is about it. I put the filter in on the 13th of October and it filtered very slowly. It is now the 22nd and there is no water coming out of the filter at all. We have a newer home and there is no lead pipes and we are on town water that filters a lot of things out of the water already. So there should be nothing that should be clogging this filter at all. It is a waste of money and poor filtration. Talk about getting ripped off. Do not buy this product.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I was cleaning my Britta pitcher last night and I could not believe the amount of unseemly slime that I couldn't see with the naked eye! I clean it fairly regularly, but due to some serious nausea and intestinal problems that are unexplainable, I've decided to explore my water. I'm pretty sure I've discovered the problem, this cannot be healthy. I'm going to bottled water since the tap water here is not good to drink.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I just called Brita customer service. I just got a Brita pitcher with included filter. I set it up per the instructions. The water tasted great for the first two days, but now the last few it has tasted sweet. The guy I called said they had never had a customer complain about it being sweet after a few days. I just thought I would put this out there and see if anyone else has experienced this. The Brita guy couldn't even give me an answer as to whether I should drink it or not. I'm thinking the taste is due to a growth inside the filter or pitcher. I don't understand how else the taste would change like that. They are sending me a free new filter in the mail, so we'll see.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita?

Original review: June 10, 2017

Bought this Brita "classic" pitcher about 3 months ago. Wish I had read these reviews first. So many complaints about exactly what happened to me. And these same types of complaints were being written at least a year ago! The pitcher is leaking from the bottom - after 3 months! Its Model #: OB50/OB03 but I think the problem happens with most models. Will go buy a different brand. I thought Brita had a good reputation. Boy - not anymore they don't! I sent a complaint to them but they make you include the model number and all kind of other numbers. The model number is on the BOTTOM of the pitcher. Kind of hard to see if it's filled with water. Don't buy Brita pitchers!!

Original review: May 23, 2017

Brita is a waste of money. You will be doing more harm to yourself, family and friends. Brita does not clean or filter tap water and mine was growing a greyish white murky film after I stopped using it for about a month. Gross??? Do not waste $30 on that **.

Original review: April 9, 2017

We have used Brita pitcher filters for over a year. After changing the filters less than 3 weeks ago we noticed the pitchers taking on a brown tint. We cleaned them out today and there was a ton of brownish residue in the pitchers. Previous filters produced small black particles in the water. Considering having this "residue" tested. Anyone else seen this? Very disappointed... Check out the photo.

Original review: March 5, 2017

Brita water bottle filtration system is UNHEALTHY! My boyfriend and I bought 2 of these Brita water bottles with the filter already in them. We followed the instructions exactly and I didn't notice any weird taste from putting tap water in the bottle. When I put water from our old filter in the water bottle I noticed the water still tasted funny and had a weird smell like the water was still dirty and it was not filtered. So I sucked some water in my mouth and spit it back in a cup (yes the cup was clean and yes my mouth is clean as well) and I noticed in the cup the water was super dirty! It had a lot of white floaty stuff in it. I was in doubt at first that it was from the filtered water bottle so I tried a different cup and did the same thing. The water was still dirty so I told my boyfriend to try his and he did the same thing, the water in his cup was dirty as well.

So we both took apart our water bottles and rewashed every part and did the same thing. The water was still very dirty. I was disgusted we have been drinking that water. To make things even better we tested the water with a zero water filter tester that measures the amount of extra bacteria and lead in the water. The tap water alone was at 90 and the filtered water was at 132. Something definitely is right here. How was the filtered water higher? So obviously the Brita filter was not working. I took pictures of the dirty water and the receipts. We're taking the bottles back. We're just going to stick with the zero water filtration system and buy a new filter for that. I hope the Brita company does something about that because that is definitely unhealthy. I'm glad I went with my instincts. So for your better health stay away from their water bottles.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I just changed my filter 3 weeks ago, and the yesterday's filtered water today was absolutely green in colour! The value pack was bought at Costco, 6 to a package. I've been sick with something like a virus for the past 3 weeks, yet my hubby feels just fine. He does not drink from the Brita. There are other posts here that describe what I am feeling. Be careful what you buy. And, beware of the "new and improved" sign on ANY package!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I bought the Brita water pitcher 8 months ago. I was very happy with the taste using the pitcher. Within 6 months the inside cracked. Within 8 months the outside cracked in several places all on the bottom... Waste of money. Very disappointed 30$ wasted.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I have been sick for over a month with stomach cramps and diarrhea. My doctor took different tests and couldn't find anything wrong and attributed it to my diet. Today I more or less was drinking water afraid to eat anything. I have a Brita Filter, and just took a gamble to see if anyone else had a stomach problem using it. Lo and behold there have been many complaints. I just purchased bottled water and hopefully that was the problem.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I have been using a Brita pitcher for probably 20+ years. The water here is city water that does not taste very good. It has a pretty strong chlorine taste and sometimes just smells bad. I am a big water drinker and when we first moved here I would buy drinking water. Then we bought a Brita! Wow! Loved it! The pitcher worked great. I could drink our city water and it tasted great. Now, however, the pitcher does not work like it once did. Drinking cold water fresh from the fridge you don't notice the chlorine taste but let the water come to room temp and drink it. You will notice the chlorine as if you were drinking fresh from the tap. This isn't a recent change in the function of my Brita.

I have been unhappy with my pitcher for quite some time but haven't known what I wanted to do. I have been reading reviews finally and I will be buying one of the better rated pitchers very soon. But I really wanted to express my complete dissatisfaction with Brita to hopefully help someone else that is looking to buy a good water filtration pitcher. Check reviews! Brita is not highly recommended and I can understand.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

It was suspicious how a filter manages to finish 2 liters within a minute, but it wasn't until how it tasted and made me, my family and my cats all sick for weeks to realize the problem. I've drank straight from the tap and the shower and had 0 problems. Once I swallow a mouthful from a cup of Brita filtered water, I got diarrhea and is home-bound for the day. I even cleaned the pitcher and boiled it to be extra safe. Definitely water passing through filters too fast + chemicals bleeding out of sand.

Some people say "hey maybe you ate something bad." Nope I slept 12 hours, only thing that went into my mouth is that goddamned water. Some people say "hey maybe you bought a counterfeit from China." Sorry, but I bought it at a respectable store. And both the product and packaging looks very official and complete. I'm not angry at Brita, though I think the guy who got GI problems and ended up in ER should be. I'm just sad, because I will never trust you again and I have to go haul a couple stacks of bottled water home for me and my cats now.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I just moved to Florida and wanted to start drinking filtered water instead of tap. The first three weeks I drunk tap water and it was fine. Then I bought the Brita faucet water filter and ran water through the filter for 5 minutes like it recommended. I proceeded to drink about 20 ounces of the filtered water. An hour later I was literally spitting out blood and was feeling ill through even the next day. I'm very healthy and usually drink a lot of water but this is the worst water drinking experience I've ever had.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I bought my Brita pitcher about a year ago. I instantaneously noticed that the lid would never stay on when pouring the water. A couple months after that I noticed there would be water on the refrigerator shelf from the pitcher. I just knew it could not have been my new pitcher, considering I take good care of my things. Lo and behold, it was. The water leaks out in the refrigerator. I don't have the pitcher or can't locate the receipt, but it definitely is disheartening. The water tastes great. Bummer! I will be moving on to another system... any suggestions?

Resolution response: Sept. 13, 2016

I have to apologize for my first review. I recently bought a Faucet Filtration System and I was basing it on the older version. But found out the indicator is not a blinking light like the old version but a solid green color you have to look into through the glass.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

I bought a Brita Faucet filtration system 2 yrs ago and hooked it up like the rules said. But indicator that was to turn green to prove that the filter was working never did come on. I made a complaint to Brita consumer services. The service rep told me "it still works even with the green indicator light not on." But I told the rep that in the user guide it said the green indicator has to be on to show it's working. Rep would not suggest to replace it but to keep using it. Well as of today I bought another Brita faucet filtration system. Same thing happen. No green indicator like in 2014. So I will call them back.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2016

I started using the Brita pitcher 8 months ago, but after several months a crack developed in the bottom of the pitcher. I live alone and am not rough on things. I had a rubberized shelf liner in the fridge and in the sink. So I went out and bought a new one, different model and a couple of months later there are several stress cracks in the bottom of it. I noticed this after noticing my refrigerator shelf was wet. This product is not worth the money if you have to replace the pitchers constantly! I will not be buying another one!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I've been using Brita filters for years and quite happy. Just bought the new updated one with the knob on the top. My water doesn't taste good now. My apartment water doesn't taste good and my trusty Brita filter used to make a remarkable improvement in the taste. This new filter doesn't help at all! What has changed? Did I get a defective box? It is the 10 filter value pack. Bought at Costco. Item # 987554.

Original review: July 23, 2016

Used Brita for several years and enjoyed the taste of drinking water -- tasted fresh clear and very satisfying. Purchased new filters almost a year ago. Very disappointed and emotional about it because cannot enjoy it as before. Left with several pitchers and several packs of new filters. I'm at the point of disgusted on how you can disappoint customers.

Original review: July 23, 2016

I wanted to submit my experience because had I not found this website, I would currently be drinking lots of water and prepping for a colonoscopy. I have been using Brita filters in a pitcher as my sole source of drinking water for several months without issue. I bought a 6 pack of new filters and used all but 2 out of that package. On the 5th filter, I started to experience stomach issues. Of course at the time, had no idea what was happening. Just thought I was getting a bug.

For 5 weeks I had chronic diarrhea, was going to the doctor getting my blood and stool tested. It was perplexing because I had no other symptoms except a grumbling intestine (no pain or cramping). Everything kept coming back negative. The doctor prescribed ** and I took that with absolutely no effect. The next step was going to be a specialist (getting expensive now). So I started looking into everything I was putting into my mouth and the only thing that I was doing that could be considered a toxic level was the amount of water I was drinking. I read these comments and immediately started drinking out my tap again - voila! Literally the day I stopped that filter, my symptoms improved and by day two my diarrhea was going away. I am forever grateful other people posted otherwise I would still be keeping hydrated with my Brita-filtered water.

Original review: July 15, 2016

I recently started using Brita Water Filters and soon after starting having diarrhea. My daily diet is very consistent and has plenty of fiber, fresh fruit and vegetables. The only variable that has changed recently is the water from Brita water filters.

Original review: July 15, 2016

The Brita bottle filter works great as far as filtering. However, the bottle itself leaks when you turn or tilt the bottle. Also, the price of the filter cost more than the actual bottle with fine itself. I understand this is a marketing strategy, but this shouldn't be, and if you actually care for your customers, or at least give deals from time to time, like coupons!

Original review: July 13, 2016

With the new style. I really hesitated after reading these reviews for the new style water filter (just used my last "old" style that used the counter filter) that I just bought. Having tried it, I find none of the "leaking" that people have commented on nor does the water have an odd or plasticky taste to it. Our facility uses gallons of chlorine in the water (for no discernible reason). Taking a shower it smells like someone is pouring bleach over me. The first pitcher with the new filter tastes just like the water out of the old filter. GOOD. :) Buy without fear. IMO, these new-style filters are as good as the old.

Original review: July 6, 2016

I bought my Brita Water jug a few weeks ago. The water out of my faucet doesn't taste bad but I live in Florida & it was nice to know it was filtered through the Brita. After having it a few weeks my Brita water now tastes Metallic even after I just filled the jug. If I leave my glass of water on my nightstand overnight in the morning it tastes even worse. It has been making me sick to my stomach, just smelling it makes me sick, so I started buying bottled water again. The filter tests good, so there is no need to replace it, I've also cleaned out the jug. Nothing seems to help. At work we have filtered water, not a Brita, and it tastes great! So I know it's not my taste buds. I am not at all happy with this product, I don't remember ever having issues with Brita before in the past.

Original review: June 26, 2016

Our first Brita was great. Who did they sell the company to? We have tried to match the quality of the first Brita. We now have 3 Brita pitchers of different sizes all with the same problems. Water spills out when you move them and the lid falls off when pouring. We even tried a ZeroWater. The water tastes good but why can't the lid before? Listen to your customers while you still have them!

Original review: June 24, 2016

I have used this product for about 3 or 4 years. I have noticed that the "new" filter designs (and the old ones, too) allowed water to bypass the filter and flow directly into the pitcher. Recently I also noticed little black bugs (nope, not the carbon "filter" particles and I keep a really clean house) in the pre-filter area. Not a good sign. I will not buy another Brita product.

Original review: June 21, 2016

I have purchased three Brita water systems in the last three years, and all three pitchers developed cracks in the base and leak water. I think the manufacturer has a design flaw. Time to try zero systems. P.S. Senior citizen no children to blame.

Original review: May 31, 2016

I had used the Brita filtered water pitcher for years and loved it. I purchased the new sport bottle to use traveling. I immediately began to feel ill like a virus and my mouth and throat became very dry and sore. I stopped using the bottle and improved. When I started using the bottled water again my throat and mouth are again painful. After reading these reviews I am convinced the bottle or filter is contaminated. I will trash this product and I believed it poses a serious health hazard.

Original review: May 29, 2016

There seems to be a leakage around the fitting. Water runs down the filter's outside into the jug water below... a new problem with the new style filters.

Brita Water Filters Company Information