Brita Water Filters

• 17%
  • 0%
  • 42%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita?

Reviewed April 9, 2017

We have used Brita pitcher filters for over a year. After changing the filters less than 3 weeks ago we noticed the pitchers taking on a brown tint. We cleaned them out today and there was a ton of brownish residue in the pitchers. Previous filters produced small black particles in the water. Considering having this "residue" tested. Anyone else seen this? Very disappointed... Check out the photo.

Installation & Setup

Reviewed March 5, 2017

Brita water bottle filtration system is UNHEALTHY! My boyfriend and I bought 2 of these Brita water bottles with the filter already in them. We followed the instructions exactly and I didn't notice any weird taste from putting tap water in the bottle. When I put water from our old filter in the water bottle I noticed the water still tasted funny and had a weird smell like the water was still dirty and it was not filtered. So I sucked some water in my mouth and spit it back in a cup (yes the cup was clean and yes my mouth is clean as well) and I noticed in the cup the water was super dirty! It had a lot of white floaty stuff in it. I was in doubt at first that it was from the filtered water bottle so I tried a different cup and did the same thing. The water was still dirty so I told my boyfriend to try his and he did the same thing, the water in his cup was dirty as well.

So we both took apart our water bottles and rewashed every part and did the same thing. The water was still very dirty. I was disgusted we have been drinking that water. To make things even better we tested the water with a zero water filter tester that measures the amount of extra bacteria and lead in the water. The tap water alone was at 90 and the filtered water was at 132. Something definitely is right here. How was the filtered water higher? So obviously the Brita filter was not working. I took pictures of the dirty water and the receipts. We're taking the bottles back. We're just going to stick with the zero water filtration system and buy a new filter for that. I hope the Brita company does something about that because that is definitely unhealthy. I'm glad I went with my instincts. So for your better health stay away from their water bottles.

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2017

I just changed my filter 3 weeks ago, and the yesterday's filtered water today was absolutely green in colour! The value pack was bought at Costco, 6 to a package. I've been sick with something like a virus for the past 3 weeks, yet my hubby feels just fine. He does not drink from the Brita. There are other posts here that describe what I am feeling. Be careful what you buy. And, beware of the "new and improved" sign on ANY package!

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2017

I bought the Brita water pitcher 8 months ago. I was very happy with the taste using the pitcher. Within 6 months the inside cracked. Within 8 months the outside cracked in several places all on the bottom... Waste of money. Very disappointed 30$ wasted.

Reviewed Oct. 30, 2016

I have been sick for over a month with stomach cramps and diarrhea. My doctor took different tests and couldn't find anything wrong and attributed it to my diet. Today I more or less was drinking water afraid to eat anything. I have a Brita Filter, and just took a gamble to see if anyone else had a stomach problem using it. Lo and behold there have been many complaints. I just purchased bottled water and hopefully that was the problem.

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2016

I have been using a Brita pitcher for probably 20+ years. The water here is city water that does not taste very good. It has a pretty strong chlorine taste and sometimes just smells bad. I am a big water drinker and when we first moved here I would buy drinking water. Then we bought a Brita! Wow! Loved it! The pitcher worked great. I could drink our city water and it tasted great. Now, however, the pitcher does not work like it once did. Drinking cold water fresh from the fridge you don't notice the chlorine taste but let the water come to room temp and drink it. You will notice the chlorine as if you were drinking fresh from the tap. This isn't a recent change in the function of my Brita.

I have been unhappy with my pitcher for quite some time but haven't known what I wanted to do. I have been reading reviews finally and I will be buying one of the better rated pitchers very soon. But I really wanted to express my complete dissatisfaction with Brita to hopefully help someone else that is looking to buy a good water filtration pitcher. Check reviews! Brita is not highly recommended and I can understand.

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2016

It was suspicious how a filter manages to finish 2 liters within a minute, but it wasn't until how it tasted and made me, my family and my cats all sick for weeks to realize the problem. I've drank straight from the tap and the shower and had 0 problems. Once I swallow a mouthful from a cup of Brita filtered water, I got diarrhea and is home-bound for the day. I even cleaned the pitcher and boiled it to be extra safe. Definitely water passing through filters too fast + chemicals bleeding out of sand.

Some people say "hey maybe you ate something bad." Nope I slept 12 hours, only thing that went into my mouth is that ** water. Some people say "hey maybe you bought a counterfeit from China." Sorry, but I bought it at a respectable store. And both the product and packaging looks very official and complete. I'm not angry at Brita, though I think the guy who got GI problems and ended up in ER should be. I'm just sad, because I will never trust you again and I have to go haul a couple stacks of bottled water home for me and my cats now.

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2016

I just moved to Florida and wanted to start drinking filtered water instead of tap. The first three weeks I drunk tap water and it was fine. Then I bought the Brita faucet water filter and ran water through the filter for 5 minutes like it recommended. I proceeded to drink about 20 ounces of the filtered water. An hour later I was literally spitting out blood and was feeling ill through even the next day. I'm very healthy and usually drink a lot of water but this is the worst water drinking experience I've ever had.

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2016

I bought my Brita pitcher about a year ago. I instantaneously noticed that the lid would never stay on when pouring the water. A couple months after that I noticed there would be water on the refrigerator shelf from the pitcher. I just knew it could not have been my new pitcher, considering I take good care of my things. Lo and behold, it was. The water leaks out in the refrigerator. I don't have the pitcher or can't locate the receipt, but it definitely is disheartening. The water tastes great. Bummer! I will be moving on to another system... any suggestions?

David increased rating by 4 stars.
    Staff
    After a positive interaction with Brita Water Filters, David increased their star rating on Sept. 13, 2016.

Updated review: Sept. 13, 2016

I have to apologize for my first review. I recently bought a Faucet Filtration System and I was basing it on the older version. But found out the indicator is not a blinking light like the old version but a solid green color you have to look into through the glass.

Original Review: Sept. 10, 2016

I bought a Brita Faucet filtration system 2 yrs ago and hooked it up like the rules said. But indicator that was to turn green to prove that the filter was working never did come on. I made a complaint to Brita consumer services. The service rep told me "it still works even with the green indicator light not on." But I told the rep that in the user guide it said the green indicator has to be on to show it's working. Rep would not suggest to replace it but to keep using it. Well as of today I bought another Brita faucet filtration system. Same thing happen. No green indicator like in 2014. So I will call them back.

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2016

I started using the Brita pitcher 8 months ago, but after several months a crack developed in the bottom of the pitcher. I live alone and am not rough on things. I had a rubberized shelf liner in the fridge and in the sink. So I went out and bought a new one, different model and a couple of months later there are several stress cracks in the bottom of it. I noticed this after noticing my refrigerator shelf was wet. This product is not worth the money if you have to replace the pitchers constantly! I will not be buying another one!

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2016

I've been using Brita filters for years and quite happy. Just bought the new updated one with the knob on the top. My water doesn't taste good now. My apartment water doesn't taste good and my trusty Brita filter used to make a remarkable improvement in the taste. This new filter doesn't help at all! What has changed? Did I get a defective box? It is the 10 filter value pack. Bought at Costco. Item # 987554.

Reviewed July 23, 2016

Used Brita for several years and enjoyed the taste of drinking water -- tasted fresh clear and very satisfying. Purchased new filters almost a year ago. Very disappointed and emotional about it because cannot enjoy it as before. Left with several pitchers and several packs of new filters. I'm at the point of disgusted on how you can disappoint customers.

Reviewed July 23, 2016

I wanted to submit my experience because had I not found this website, I would currently be drinking lots of water and prepping for a colonoscopy. I have been using Brita filters in a pitcher as my sole source of drinking water for several months without issue. I bought a 6 pack of new filters and used all but 2 out of that package. On the 5th filter, I started to experience stomach issues. Of course at the time, had no idea what was happening. Just thought I was getting a bug.

For 5 weeks I had chronic diarrhea, was going to the doctor getting my blood and stool tested. It was perplexing because I had no other symptoms except a grumbling intestine (no pain or cramping). Everything kept coming back negative. The doctor prescribed ** and I took that with absolutely no effect. The next step was going to be a specialist (getting expensive now). So I started looking into everything I was putting into my mouth and the only thing that I was doing that could be considered a toxic level was the amount of water I was drinking. I read these comments and immediately started drinking out my tap again - voila! Literally the day I stopped that filter, my symptoms improved and by day two my diarrhea was going away. I am forever grateful other people posted otherwise I would still be keeping hydrated with my Brita-filtered water.

Reviewed July 15, 2016

I recently started using Brita Water Filters and soon after starting having diarrhea. My daily diet is very consistent and has plenty of fiber, fresh fruit and vegetables. The only variable that has changed recently is the water from Brita water filters.

Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed July 15, 2016

The Brita bottle filter works great as far as filtering. However, the bottle itself leaks when you turn or tilt the bottle. Also, the price of the filter cost more than the actual bottle with fine itself. I understand this is a marketing strategy, but this shouldn't be, and if you actually care for your customers, or at least give deals from time to time, like coupons!

Reviewed July 13, 2016

With the new style. I really hesitated after reading these reviews for the new style water filter (just used my last "old" style that used the counter filter) that I just bought. Having tried it, I find none of the "leaking" that people have commented on nor does the water have an odd or plasticky taste to it. Our facility uses gallons of chlorine in the water (for no discernible reason). Taking a shower it smells like someone is pouring bleach over me. The first pitcher with the new filter tastes just like the water out of the old filter. GOOD. :) Buy without fear. IMO, these new-style filters are as good as the old.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

I bought my Brita Water jug a few weeks ago. The water out of my faucet doesn't taste bad but I live in Florida & it was nice to know it was filtered through the Brita. After having it a few weeks my Brita water now tastes Metallic even after I just filled the jug. If I leave my glass of water on my nightstand overnight in the morning it tastes even worse. It has been making me sick to my stomach, just smelling it makes me sick, so I started buying bottled water again. The filter tests good, so there is no need to replace it, I've also cleaned out the jug. Nothing seems to help. At work we have filtered water, not a Brita, and it tastes great! So I know it's not my taste buds. I am not at all happy with this product, I don't remember ever having issues with Brita before in the past.

Reviewed June 26, 2016

Our first Brita was great. Who did they sell the company to? We have tried to match the quality of the first Brita. We now have 3 Brita pitchers of different sizes all with the same problems. Water spills out when you move them and the lid falls off when pouring. We even tried a ZeroWater. The water tastes good but why can't the lid before? Listen to your customers while you still have them!

Reviewed June 24, 2016

I have used this product for about 3 or 4 years. I have noticed that the "new" filter designs (and the old ones, too) allowed water to bypass the filter and flow directly into the pitcher. Recently I also noticed little black bugs (nope, not the carbon "filter" particles and I keep a really clean house) in the pre-filter area. Not a good sign. I will not buy another Brita product.

Reviewed June 21, 2016

I have purchased three Brita water systems in the last three years, and all three pitchers developed cracks in the base and leak water. I think the manufacturer has a design flaw. Time to try zero systems. P.S. Senior citizen no children to blame.

Reviewed May 31, 2016

I had used the Brita filtered water pitcher for years and loved it. I purchased the new sport bottle to use traveling. I immediately began to feel ill like a virus and my mouth and throat became very dry and sore. I stopped using the bottle and improved. When I started using the bottled water again my throat and mouth are again painful. After reading these reviews I am convinced the bottle or filter is contaminated. I will trash this product and I believed it poses a serious health hazard.

Reviewed May 29, 2016

There seems to be a leakage around the fitting. Water runs down the filter's outside into the jug water below... a new problem with the new style filters.

Reviewed May 9, 2016

I bought Brita filter in a pitcher from Costco in January 2016. Since then I got so much GI problems, extreme cramp, pain, diarrhea. I ended up missing work, going to ER and paid so much for different doctor visits and tests. Diagnosis: allergic reaction. But they did not know allergic to what? I went on a gluten-free, lactose-free, sugar-free diet but nothing helped. Since then my son got sick with diarrhea and pain. My husband with cramp, nausea, diarrhea. We removed the Brita filter from our kitchen and pain and cramp was gone. Imagine I had whole GI cramp for months and I always thought it is a viral infection and it is going away but it never went away until I stopped drinking water from Brita Filter. It made my life miserable. Brita stop selling these filters!

Reviewed April 24, 2016

I have been using the Brita water filters for years and without complaint until the new ones came out. The old filters would last me close to 3 months where after just 25 days the filtering time of the new ones have slowed to the point where it takes 10 minutes or more to filter one pitcher-full. Consequently, I find that I'm having to replace the filters every 20 days or so. That's costing me a fortune!! I'm also very concerned about the pH and whether or not the filters cause a rise in the acidic value of the water. If so, that's very bad news for our health. I am going to start looking for other options too and stop using these filters. Any suggestions?

Reviewed April 9, 2016

Just started using the new Brita water filter. The water flows past the filter too fast. Also the filter has a strange taste. It stays with you for a while. Tried the filtered water and did not care for the taste. Tried the water straight from the tap. The tap water tasted softer with no aftertaste. Can't use the Brita water filters any longer. Just don't trust the taste of the water.

Reviewed March 10, 2016

We have been using Brita for many yrs. Last night 3/10/16 I came home, to a new Brita container on the counter. The old one was fine, less getting a bit muggly. I had dinner, filled a glass, & gulped it down. It was "WTF"??? It tasted best described as plastic. Similar to the off-gassing of a blowup pool raft, fresh out of the box. I didn't appreciate it!

This morning, now, I looked closer at the Ultramax that she bought. The filter was different style than the previous years. It wouldn't seat properly. Water flowed past it. This was the least of it. I took a sip, & spit it out. I retrieved the old container, put the filter in, & filled. I took a sip. No plastic taste. The night before was a long day. I was thirsty & gulped down approx. 16 oz of the plastic water. Let's just say, I don't feel well. The new 1 is back in the box, & will be returned. Amazon reviews were checked, & other complaints of plastic-tasting water are there, along with complaints regarding their so-called "new & improved filters."

It was a good run for Brita, as they had me for 15 years. No more. The old container will be tossed, & we'll not be purchasing any more Brita products. I have emailed the company, notifying them of the water that tastes like it's been strained through a freshly made pool raft, & maybe they & their employees should try this container, when it finds its way back to them.

Seeing other complaints of this problem, yrs back, shows me Brita was aware, of the containers tasting (off-gassing?) of plastic. To sell a product with a flaw as obvious & in my mind as serious as this, shows a disregard for not only my family, but for yours. I welcome Brita & all their employees to drink out of this exact container, & then tell me, "It's fine." I do NOT believe there is a way this can be considered healthy or safe. Brita, you just lost another customer, & we'll warn others of your "new" (?) product's many flaws. Attached are photos, so Brita can enjoy the water, from this exact pitcher. P.S. I will sign the bottom with indelible marker, with my email address, so you & your employees can be sure to experience what I suspect is damaging to the human body.

Reviewed March 6, 2016

I drink a lot of water due to health issues and meds. I have a strong sense of taste & tried several different brands of bottled water & found Smart Water suited me the best. It is pricey & hauling big bottles around was a hassle so I decided to try a Brita. It was a pain in the a$$ from the beginning. Rinse the filter for 15 seconds, fill the pitcher but don't go over the top of the filter, let it drain through which takes a long time... then you have to repeat the process three more times to "cleanse the carbon out of the water". FINALLY (I have a lot of patience), on day four, I could drink my clean, Brita-filtered water, right? I was sick for three days afterwards. I threw up, had diarrhea, & a hideous metallic taste in my mouth lasted for a week. I KNOW I was poisoned by the Brita water. Luckily I saved the box & receipt--it is going back with a complaint ASAP. I would give it negative stars if I could with a warning label.

Reviewed March 1, 2016

The newly designed filters do not work. They allow the unfiltered water to escape around the outside of the filter. Never had that problem with the old filters. In order to get "filtered water" you have to apply pressure to the filter the whole time inside the water reservoir to keep it from leaking the unfiltered water through.

Reviewed Feb. 29, 2016

Brita "guarantees" that the new filters for refrigerator pitchers will work with older pitchers. Not so. I thought the first one of the three pack that I bought may have been defective. But it's the same with the other two as well. I haven't noticed a change in the taste of the water, but have noticed how much faster the water "filters". The reason it's draining so fast is that it's coming down the sides of the filter and not through the holes. You can see where the water flows through the four holes in the bottom of the filter but also down the sides. I pressed down on the top of the filter while it was draining and that stopped the leakage down the sides. These new filters don't work. Looks like I'll be going back to bottled spring water. It's a shame that in trying to improve a product that Brita ruined one.

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2016

For those of you who noticed a pink film on the inner wall of their Brita water pitcher equipped with a filter, this pink film is comprised of colonies of the Serratia marcescens bacteria. This bacteria is one of the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. Google > Serratia marcescens (Wikipedia). Obviously, these bacteria are also present on the inner wall of the pitcher and inside the carbon filter before you can notice their pink color.

Reviewed Dec. 17, 2015

I have used the Brita faucet mount water filter for a number of years with satisfaction until the last 2 years. All of a sudden the units began to malfunction. The unit began to leak water under the collar section that mounts to the faucet. I am on my third unit since about 18 months. Before that I was replacing the unit about every 3 years or so. I hate to do it but I am going to switch to a competitor.

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2015

I'm a high level athlete and water is VERY important in my life. I've been a big fan of Brita since my first glass in the late 90s when my roommate in college introduced me to it. Have had one ever since and been very happy. Bought the new filter style when I could no longer get the old ones, as I'm not a big fan of change when something works great and didn't see any advantage at all of the new filters "filtering" the water quicker. I started noticing a weird taste using the new filter. So I changed the filter earlier than normal and soaked the new one like the old ones which helped a little but still a had a slightly weird taste. I tried for about 2 months drinking the water but felt like I was getting more thirsty as though I was dehydrated. I also noticed change in bowel movements and clarity of thinking and gave up thinking maybe I got a bad box of filters.

Purchased a new box, used one filter and the taste was worse so I stopped using it except to water some plants and started purchasing Fiji bottled water. A friend came over the other day and asked for some water and told them they'd have to get some from tap as I only had a few bottles left of Fiji and reluctantly gave them a glass of the Brita after they insisted it would be ok. They took a gulp and ran to the sink to spit it out and jokingly accused me of trying to poison them. So I tried a sip in front of them to assure them I wasn't and the water had a BAD metal taste to it. Way worse than before and the filter was less than a month old (I change the filters even though it's being used for plants cause I have em and don't need em).

I also saved the water from this in a bottle and filter for proof as this needs to be tested for chemicals and metals. The quality of the new Brita filtered water will probably put them out of business if they don't get sued first. Why sued? The old filters use to pH balance the water to a nice neutral maybe slight alkaline level. Every single time I've tested the pH of the water from the new style filters it is ACIDIC!!! Not even close to being neutral and the main reason why I stopped drinking it and switched to Fiji. For those that don't know, an acidic diet is the leading cause for cancer. Water being over 70% of the human body and me needing it more so because of athletics, I will never buy Brita again.

I have diverticulitis and celiac and it was acting up with the new filter pretty bad prior to switching to Fiji. For those that don't know, these are stomach problems and they got worse drinking water from the new filter and stopped when I switched back to more alkaline water. After reading some of the other reviews before posting this one I believe everyone who says they've been having intestinal issues. Fiji is expensive so currently looking into deep rock or another means of clean water with a neutral or alkaline pH. I've even let tap water sit out for a day or two so the chlorine can evaporate before putting it in the fridge and it tastes better than the Brita. So sad. I use to swear by this company now I will tell everyone stay away.

The filter is useless and I only feel like it filters quicker cause it isn't filtering anything but just adding negative stuff to the water. My water will come out of the tap alkaline and a slight tap taste. If I let it sit out, it's still alkaline but not so bad of a tap taste. If I pass water through the filter it gets a metallic taste, the pH is acidic and it messes with my stomach. Save your boxes receipts etc cause someone will probably file a lawsuit after the health issues they may get drinking this acidic, metallic tasting water. I'd give Brita a 0 star rating if I could.

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2015

I am happy with my refrigerator Brita and the filters. I used to just drink my water and had bad acid reflux. My son tested it and was loaded with chemicals. Since I purchased Brita water pitcher, my acid reflux is gone. I just bought 2 for Christmas presents. One for my parents who buy cases of bottled water so I feel this is a better way to go for them. I bought my sister one for the same reason. I also bought them BPA free bottles for them to use outside or inside the house. I was reading all the negative reviews and felt compelled to write my positive uses.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2015

I had never had any residue of a brownish color before after using Brita for at least 10 years. The filter usually takes a few minutes to filter the water. Now it takes close to a minute.

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2015

I've been using Brita pitchers at home and in my workplace for years. The pitchers have always been a problem with the lids falling off but I got used to that. When I purchased replacement filters last week, they were described as new and improved with no need to soak them before use. There is a definite change in the quality of the water that is being filtered now. I find it undrinkable and like another commenter, needed to add lemon just to have it taste ok.

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2015

I have used Brita for years - very happily - but now the filtered water tastes awful. I currently live in Agadir, Morocco & bought a year's supply of the new filters - a total waste of money!!! The water after filtering does not taste of chlorine but tastes very earthy within an hour of filtering! Now having to go back to bottled water.

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2015

I've been using the refrigerator size Brita water filter since they started making them. I don't just think the filter cartridges are made crappier in China, (like everything else these days) but I actually believe that we are getting COUNTERFEIT filter cartridges from China. You can see the water run right through. There's obviously no seal and no filtering. I live in NYC, where you can get a real looking, fake Rolex on Canal Street in Chinatown. Counterfeit name-brand products have been flooding the U.S. via the black market for decades. Now they come in via the "free" market, and are sold in Duane Reade, Rite Aid and CVS. Good to know, from others at this site, that the filters are also leeching stuff out. My husband drinks a lot more of the Brita water than me and the kids (who prefer bottled) and he's been feeling achey and flu-like of lately. These bogus filter cartridges aren't just ineffective, they're also unsafe.

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2015

We just moved to a new place. The new location's kitchen sink was too small for the water filtering machine we had, so we went to Costco and bought the Brita Water Filters. I'm not a sensitive person and I don't/can't notice the difference between different waters. So I couldn't notice any weird taste that everyone's talking about here. What I had noticed is something visual. I enjoy icy cold drinks and for convenience I always have ice cubes made and stored in my freezer. Ice cubes made out of other filtered waters don't cause any visible sediment in drinks. However, the ice cubes made with Brita filtered water always cause weird floating sediments in drinks.

I am not complaining from a single observation. I've noticed it every single time the ice cubes, made with Brita filtered water, were used. And, of course, I have never had this problem before I started using Brita. I do not know what the floating sediments are but they look very disgusting, giving drinks nasty appearance. And I'm aware that this product is a filter, not the source of water; so I'm assuming that the sediments aren't from the filter but from the water. I live in Los Angeles, California, and I have no idea of how clean the Los Angeles running water is but still I think the dirtiness/purity of running water shouldn't justify the nasty floating sediments especially when we're talking about a product that filters water. A water filter that fails to filter water is just a useless piece of plastic. I'm not going to spend a single penny on Brita.

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2015

The Brita Faucet includes a side valve which is supposed to allow the user to switch back and forth from filter to non-filtered water. The valve frequently breaks after a few months forcing the owner to buy a new system with about the same frequency as changing filters. The valve is plastic and breaks quite easily being of poor design (probably intentionally). It's a very poor product. Try the competition.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2015

Since moving to Central Texas 15 years ago, I've used the refrigerator size Brita filter and water pitcher. Since Brita changed their filter design, the water not only tastes unfiltered, but undrinkable. The water appears to run thru the new filter faster than the older design. Perhaps too fast to filter it? I've tried two filters with the same result. I'm switching to bottled water until I can find a suitable replacement. I can't believe they "new and improved" an excellent working water filter. Very dissatisfied!

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2015

Was very happy with my Brita system. Now, with new filter style my water goes funky way earlier than before. Thought it was just me, but after reading other reviews, I'm sure something really negative happened to the system. I would like to know if the change was just cosmetic, or a true change in the quality of the filter. I'm not happy now.

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2015

I have used Brita water filters for years. The last purchase I made was the new design because the store is out of the old style. New design looks great, however the water tastes like it has not filtered properly. I am sure my tap water is fine to drink unfiltered but I do not like the taste. I will now have to look into some replacement product, I will not be buying the Brita filters again.

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2015

Brita water pitcher - Horrible product! Lid does not secure at all to pitcher. Water also leaks into handle after filling with water, then leaks out onto floor when carrying to refrigerator. Very cheaply made! Also, water started tasting weird. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in Brita. Retired my Brita pitcher today! Just purchased a Pur water pitcher - heard good reviews about Pur pitchers! Looking forward to it!

Reviewed Aug. 19, 2015

I had a Brita pitcher I purchased in 2010. My water was always excellent and we used the heck out of it. I noticed a new filter design some months back (March 2015), so decided I might as well get a new pitcher and the new Brita Filters... Horrible!!! I have excellent taste buds. I've never smoked, I eat well and drink tons of water. I thought maybe it was me, maybe it was my water bottle - trying to make excuses for Brita, no. It's the new filters. The water taste worse than out tap… so, returning the pitcher and filter. Goodbye Brita. You blew it, so disappointed.

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2015

I have been using a Brita water pitcher for more than ten years. I recently bought a new four-pack of replacement filters to find that they changed the style (I do not have the receipt, I saw no reason to save it). I'm on the first one, and it does not fit. You cannot press down and make it fit. It continues to float, so that water flows in around it and does not get filtered. Furthermore, when I try to pour, the filter comes loose and floats up and hits the cover (which has to be held on with the other hand). There is an odd taste to the water now (maybe because it's not getting filtered). I cannot understand why they felt the need to change filter style -- but unless they can bring back the ones that work, I'm done with Brita. It's just literally throwing away money when they're not doing what they're meant to do. I'm so very disappointed, because this was such a great product before.

Reviewed Aug. 7, 2015

I was given a Brita for present. Noticed the water tasted funky in the beginning so decided to let the filter soak in water a bit more before use. Then it seems to taste well and I drank it before going to bed. Woke up sick in the morning and I knew immediately what had caused it when I looked at the jar. There was the black ink looking stuff in the bottom of the jar again! It has leaked overnight. The brand new filter has a leak... The filter is leaking toxins into the water and poisoned me. I missed 1 day of work and returned to work all dizzy today. I felt horrible! Headache and nausea! This stuff need to be taken off market. It's not worth it. I do have images that I can upload if needed... It's unbelievable!

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2015

I was really happy to buy my Brita and help save the world from my former water bottle use. I told all my friends I loved it because I did notice a significant taste change of tap water right away. After about a week and only filling it maybe 4 times the water taste seemed different. Finally off my Brita high, I noticed blue specks at the bottom of my cups.

Originally I assumed it was just the way a few filter works but now I see more and I really don't use it that often as I'm usually away from home. I tried ignoring it. I didn't want to think my love for my new Brita was a waste of time and money. I still tried using it despite it being the first time I've been willing to try drinking tap in my life... Eventually finding metal chunks all over my cup and mouth still. I really can't stand it anymore. I tried giving a cup of water to my friend when she was visiting and she asked for water but when she left the glass was still full. I don't like this product. My stomach also feels different after a cup. All negative.

Reviewed July 25, 2015

I've had a Brita Ultramax pitcher for years and I've absolutely loved it. When I bought the newly designed filter, I immediately tasted a horrible difference. It's clear that the new filters don't remove the chlorine taste or smell. I could tell right away when I raised the first glass to my mouth. The water smelled like a swimming pool. I decided to wash the container very well, in case the unit itself had somehow become dirty. Nope! Still smells and tastes like chlorine. I'm very unhappy about the change! I have a strong suspicion that Brita decided to cut corners and use cheaper raw materials to boost their profit margin during the economic downturn. Now, the market is saturated with the poor quality filters and their once loyal customers have made a mass exodus. I am one of those former customers as well. So much for boosting your profit margin, Brita! Goodbye forever.

Reviewed July 13, 2015

The water in this filter did not taste any different than regular tap water. I was expecting the water not to taste like tap water, at least take out the chlorine. Now I have to spend my time and gas to return this useless item. I know that I am making the right choice after reading some of the other reviews about the intestinal problems it has caused.

Reviewed July 2, 2015

After started drinking water from this Brita water filtration I started to develop gastrointestinal problems. Constant cramps and diarrhea for days, especially during the after my workout. Checked with my doctor because of my concern about dehydration, so we started a process of food elimination until my water consumption gave us a clue. We tested it for few days, follow from some lab tests and yes, there is something in this Brita filters that are making people sick, including myself. I stopped. Back to drinking tap or bottle of water and all is well.

Reviewed July 2, 2015

Brita Water Filtration System, 6 Cup, red. There is a flap that is supposed to fit onto the lid that opens as the filtered water flows out. It will not attach to the lid or stay on.

Reviewed June 16, 2015

Why Brita decided to change them is beyond me. I was a satisfied and happy user for years but now I cannot take the taste of what they have done to my water. I first thought that maybe I had a bad one, so bought another, but no as this one is just the same, making my water drinkable. A sad day for me and our environment as I read others are saying the same thing.

Reviewed June 12, 2015

I have had 4 Brita pitchers in the last 3 weeks. 2 had broken pieces and the other 2 lids do not fit the pitcher. I have spilled water and had to clean up my glass of water that came out like a dam breaking because the lid pops off. I am so disgusted especially since I waited for a long time to buy one because they are expensive.

Customer Service

Reviewed June 5, 2015

I started using Brita filters a little over a year ago. During this time I have experienced severe intestinal problems that have affected my daily life! I have tried everything. I have kept a food journal, I stopped eating anything with sugar, I exercised more, I stopped taking my vitamins, etc... I have read more articles about stomach and intestinal problems than you can ever imagine! The only thing I could think of that I had done differently in the past year was drinking water from the Brita pitcher. I had never investigated it because I felt stupid even doing it in the privacy of my own home and on my phone! When I did it this morning and came across this site, I was blown away! OMG! I am pouring out this huge glass of water and going back to my faucet water. I'll let you know what happens! I'm going to be really ticked off if I have suffered like this and it was my water!! Water that was supposed to be clean!!

Reviewed May 22, 2015

Brita changed the design of their filters and they no longer work well. We have been using Brita for many years and liked the results. I bought a box of the new, "improved" filters and hate them. They don't drain properly. The upper reservoir only half empties and I have to shake the pitcher to get it going again and have to perch the upper reservoir on top of the filter because it won't drain once the water level in the lower reservoir reaches the filter. A real pain in the backside. But even worse is the fact that the filtered water doesn't taste very good. We really liked the old filters but I have had it with Brita. I just bought some generic filters from Target. I hope they work better.

Reviewed May 18, 2015

I had hives for a few months, after several doctor and dermatologist visits it didn't get any better. When I changed the filter in my Brita jug the hives stopped. I must have had a bad filter. I think I'll just stick to tap water as there is no way I would drink water from those little PCB bottles!!

Reviewed May 16, 2015

I bought this filter when my faucet mount PUR filter stopped working. It was all good initially. But a month later we noticed green mold at the bottom and top portion. I thought maybe it was not cleaned and washed it thoroughly. But again that mold came back. I experienced digestive problems which I never had. I think I drank all through contaminated water which affect my health adversely. I threw the pitcher and filter away and do not recommend the product to anyone.

Reviewed May 16, 2015

First of all they are very bulky and the lids are very loose. When pouring from them I end up with almost half of it on me, the table or floor, sometimes all 3, because the lids do not seal tightly. Even if I have one hand on front and other hand on top and handle I still have a big mess to clean up. When we pay like $45.00 for this thing we would assumed it would have been better made. Also it is suppose to let me know when to change the filter but that part doesn't even work. I received mine as a gift so do not have any receipt but can add picture for you so you can see I really have 1.

Reviewed April 27, 2015

I've had a Brita Plastic Pitcher and filters for several months. I changed the filters when required. I developed a green mold on the bottom of the pitcher. I had originally thought the green cast to the bottom of the pitcher was a reflection of the granite counter top. I rinsed the pitcher every fill up. I realized after drinking the water for the past two months that the cramps, nausea and running to the bathroom problems I've had during this time was being cause by this green goop that built up on the bottom. It had to be scrubbed out. The whole experience totally disgusted me since I was drinking contaminated water that was negatively affecting my health. I threw the pitcher and filter away and do not recommend the product to anyone.

Reviewed April 21, 2015

I am really disappointed in this new Brita filter. I had my old one for years and years and it worked well. I only got rid of it because it was starting to grow algae on the sides. It was so old. The new design is cheap and horrible. The lid does not fit snugly like the old one. After filling it, water leaks down the backside of the container. As well you cannot pour water out of it while the bottom compartment is filling, as it leaks water down the front of it. Never had an issue with leakage with the old Brita. Bring back the old design or I will never purchase a Brita again.

Reviewed April 14, 2015

I live in Seattle and can't drink the tapwater because of chlorine byproducts. I've been using Brita filters for 21 years with no problem until the last six months or so. The new filters are a different shape, and I assume a different composition. I'm back to intense stomach cramps and diarrhea for 24 hours with no medicine helping the symptoms. I'm going to a different filter system.

Reviewed April 8, 2015

Brita filters water pretty good but the pitchers are really cheap quality. Their lids fall while pouring water and you will have to clean it off the floor if you don't pay attention in each pour. I tried to leave a review in their website but somehow there's a glitch and I can't. The personal use Brita water bottle that I bought was broken in half after falling off my hand for the very first time; and I am 5'5" and thrown away after first week.

Reviewed April 7, 2015

We have been using the Brita water filter for more than 25 years, first in the UK and then in the USA. It worked very well. Recently we had to replace the pitcher after about 5 years. The first one I got in Costco was the recently introduced "advanced" model. It lasted less than one month before it began to leak around the seam that joined the top half of the jug to the bottom half. I was glad to take it back because the lid fell off every time you poured which was annoying. Costco took it back without question.

Then I bought a different style from Target and that was even worse. The lid doesn't even begin to fasten on and immediately falls off in two pieces. Brita used to be a well-designed, well-respected brand, but their design and quality is now abysmal. It's not rocket science to design a jug with a built in filter, so the likely explanation is a lethal combination of bean-counting and corporate greed that needs urgent correction. We get carbon particles in the upper chamber, but not usually in the lower chamber and it doesn't bother us.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed April 5, 2015

I have used Brita filtration for nearly 10 years (several different pitchers during that time). I switched my filter recently after the old one was used for 3 months (as recommended). Within 36 hours, my dog was vomiting, listless, and required nearly 500 dollars worth of emergency care. Since that day nearly a week ago, our other dog, my husband, and myself have been experiencing gastrointestinal issues. The only thing that all 4 of us consume on a regular basis from the same source is Brita filtered water. I went to the store today (on Easter) to purchase as much spring water as I could carry. We will never use Brita filters again.

Reviewed April 2, 2015

The new water filter design does not fit properly and allows water to flow down into the pitcher on the back side of the filter. A good amount of water doesn't get filtered at all! I bought a bulk box at Costco and they don't even work. The old filter design worked just fine. I bought my pitcher at Walmart. How is your company going to fix this for myself and everyone else?

Reviewed March 29, 2015

Someone gave me their Brita with filters. I kept seeing black "Stuff" floating on the bottom of the big container that has the spigot. I thought maybe they had old filters and bought new ones. Tried in the old container. Still black stuff floating on the bottom. Bought a new Brita largest container, plus used the new filters. Still back stuff floating on the bottom of the water. Ick!! Is that why I've been so fatigued all the time? I thought maybe I was coming down with something. Stopped using it completely. Can't find receipt so I guess I'm stuck with sending it to the landfill.

Customer Service

Reviewed March 24, 2015

Ordered a P1000 filter from Brita on 18th February 2015 at a cost of £49.95 paid for through PayPal the same day. Over a month later I am still waiting delivery. UPS has lost the parcel but Brita have point blank refused to supply a replacement and have failed to make any form of refund. They have stated that the fault lies with UPS. Despite many e-mails and a phone call I can get no action from Brita. They do not seem to realise that the contract is between myself and Brita NOT UPS. Fed up with waiting I discovered that Amazon are selling the Brita P1000 filter for £34.99. Moral of this story DO NOT BUY FILTERS DIRECT FROM BRITA. I have raised a dispute through PayPal to recover my money.

Installation & Setup