Brita Water Filters

Brita Water Filters

4.0/5 (155 ratings)

About Brita Water Filters

Brita Water Filters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita Water Filters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brita?

Original review: June 1, 2018

Extreme gastrointestinal illness - I almost never post reviews but my experience is so extreme I feel compelled to share it in the hope of helping others. I've been drinking nothing but bottled water for several years but bought a new Brita 10 cup water filter pitcher in April of this year to save money and cut down on plastic bottle waste. I also bought 2 of the expensive blue filters to go with it because they're advertised as removing lead. After following the directions and carefully setting it up, my wife and I began drinking from the pitcher on April 14th. Within 2 or 3 days, my wife and I began having mild flu-like symptoms with headaches, mild nausea, some fatigue and a little loss of appetite. The symptoms were very mild at first and we didn't associate our trouble to anything other than maybe a random "bug".

Within a week my wife began having severe dental pain in all her teeth and I began having moderate to severe pain in both shoulders upon waking in the morning. My wife drinks a lot less water than I do and after about 10 days, she stopped drinking from the pitcher. In less than a week, her symptoms subsided and her dental pain was completely gone. I continued to drink a lot of water from the pitcher, between a half gallon to a gallon every day. My symptoms became progressively worse and by the first day of May, I was experiencing severe nausea, severe diarrhea, total loss of appetite, mounting fatigue and an extreme feeling of malaise.

I went to my family doctor who ran numerous tests including urine, blood, stool, ultrasound, etc. She also prescribed anti-nausea medication and antibiotics. My nausea was so severe she gave me a medication designed for chemotherapy patients. I was also experiencing night sweats, depression, a lack of mental clarity and even beginning to wonder if this was the end. My symptoms were so bad my doctor wanted to rule out colon cancer and set up a colonoscopy for me. I was so severely ill I had to re-schedule the colonoscopy for a week later. Taking the anti-nausea medication every 4 hours was the only way I could get through the day without extreme distress. I had my colonoscopy and thankfully the test came back clean. A tremendous relief.

By May 10 I finally put two and two together and stopped drinking from the Brita pitcher. I Googled "Brita water filter made me sick" and was met with hundreds of results from this website and many others with people reporting the same severe GI problems I was having after drinking from the Brita water filter pitcher. During this time the doctor's tests revealed I had elevated liver enzymes but was otherwise inconclusive. After stopping drinking from the Brita pitcher my horrible symptoms finally began to subside. The diarrhea stopped and after losing 23 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks, I began to get my appetite back very slowly and began feeling more and more normal again.

The past month has been the worst nightmare of my entire life. I've literally never been sick before in 50 years. No surgeries, no hospitalizations, no nothing. Now I've lost a month of my life, all my vacation days from work and have been costed somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 dollars for various medical tests and treatments. On top of being deathly ill for what seemed like forever. I'm highly suspicious of the Brita pitcher because my wife and I both got sick as soon as we began drinking from it and we both got well once we stopped. The hundreds of other individuals who report the same severe gastrointestinal illnesses after drinking from the Brita also bolsters our suspicions a great deal. Plus the only thing that changed at all in our diets during this time was the use of the Brita pitcher. We never eat at restaurants, we cook all our food at home and take our lunches with us to work every day.

From what I gather, silver particles are used in the filtration process and it seems a defective filter could possibly release a toxic dose of silver (a heavy metal) into the water and cause problems like my wife's dental pain and my shoulder pain. I can't state with 100% certainty that it was the Brita that caused out trouble but it being a coincidence is just too high to believe. At this point no one could convince me it wasn't the pitcher. My hope is that no one else has to endure what I've been through. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Thanks for reading.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I am writing to share my story of health after drinking water processed through the Brita Water pitcher. My husband purchased the system and we immediately went from drinking plenty of daily tap water to equal amounts of water processed through the Brita water filter (pitcher). Within two days, I was struck with extreme abdominal bloating, intestinal burning, nausea, body pain, and metallic taste in mouth. I have hardware in both feet from past surgeries, and those areas were also heightened with burning and pain, not relieved with the OTC pain medication and prescription medicine (nausea and pain). I literally thought I possible had ovarian or liver cancer as the pain was so severe and I went from feeling vital with life to complete fear that my body had shifted to a serious health engulfed to a soul feeling of doom.

After almost two weeks of confusion and complete fear, I had a lightbulb moment and asked my husband if maybe going from complete tap water to this Brita water filter might have been too abrupt and we had deprived our systems of some minerals or other essentials that may be beneficial from tap water. Without my knowledge, he went online and found sites where individuals have shared similar negative experiences with this water filter system. Of course, we immediately stopped the filtered water and are slowly recovering. I hope people reach out to search online to comments that are informative about their experiences, as I was ready to start writing my obituary.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Received Brita Optimax as a Christmas gift. The tap has given constant issues leaking. Tried tightening and plastic cracked. Brita customer service not interested in helping or resolving. I will not be buying any more of their products in the future or recommending to anyone else. I have spent hundreds of pounds over the years with Brita jugs and filters. Seems like a Reverse Osmosis unit may be a better and cheaper option.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchased the 34oz Hard Sided Chevron Water Bottle only a week ago from my local Target. I expecting a quality product being that I have the Brita pitcher and haven’t had any issues, not to mention the fact that I paid $18 for it. For that price tag I would expect to at least be able to drink through the straw. Not happening! I have to suck very hard which is actually causing my mouth to be sore.

The item also leaks quite a bit. Nothing a paper towel can’t handle, however you would think a trusted company such as Brita would be able to address the seemingly simple imperfections in the design of this particular product. I am so disappointed with this product. I was happy to find a water bottle that was big enough to hold an abundant amount of water to lessen the frequent trips to the water fountain. I will say the bottle does perform the function of filtering and improving the taste of tap water, but what’s the point if it’s near impossible to drink out of? Please fix this issue!

Original review: April 5, 2018

Unbelievable! Is it normal? I even cleaned a little bit. Unlucky me I bought 3 filters. Last 2 filters made a big mess. I have been trying to finish them. My mouth is so dry and I wake up during night 3 times or 4. I will definitely not buy ever again. :/ Back to bottles...

Original review: March 22, 2018

I bought a multi-pack faucet filter cartridges, and two of them cracked at the lower seam and water sprayed all over. When I contacted Brita through their website, they would not give me their e-mail address to send them a picture of the cracked faucet filters...conveniently "wearing-out" customers! Their products are really sub-standard!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I just purchased the water pitcher. Followed instructions to the letter... Vomited within 15 minutes after 1st glass of water... Chalked it up as a fluke... 2nd glass same result with terrible nausea... Will not buy any other Brita products!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I think Brita is having a serious problem regarding his filters. As me and my family have diarrhea and stomach pain for two days with our filter. After we decided to stop using it and used bottled water instead we were fine and no diarrhea anymore. This company should be investigated to find the underlying cause of people having diarrhea and stomach pain when using its filter product.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I bought a (used!!!) Brita Filter off of e-bay to save a few bucks. After struggling to install the filter for a few moments, I finally got it in and filled the pitcher with water, after rinsing it for around 15 seconds. the water was a maroon color. Why is this? Plus, what are the little black particles around the filter? I live in an apartment and park on the street and don't like carrying big plastic jars of distilled water, but maybe I'd be better off forgetting about Brita.

I know the company will defend themselves and the consumers writing on this will say it's the worst. Maybe it's somewhere in between. Plus, is drinking tap water in Bayonne, in Hudson County, New Jersey, okay? I know it's great in New York City because it comes from the Catskill mountains. Someone, please, help with some observations and suggestions.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Brita filter pitchers and filters are half-cooked designs at best. There are reasons why newer designs used by competitors include screw-in filters and snapping lids. Brita pitcher is plagued with annoying features, like these: The filters have to be spun round and round, until the grooves line up to seat itself into the pitcher, The filters float up out of the socket, allowing water to flow into the reservoir, defeating filtration. The hinged lid inside the larger lid falls down when trying to fill the pitcher with tap water. The whole lid assembly easily falls off from water pressure, when pouring filtered water out.

If you're lucky enough to get past all these pitfalls, water passes through small filters fast. That's convenient, but think about that - It couldn't possibly filter very well - or as well as the slower competition. The antithesis to this is a ceramic filter: Really really slow filtration; very inconvenient; but very good filtration. Summary: Bad design. This entire product needs to be redesigned. But it won't. Because the speed of "filtration", cheap replacement filter cost, and familiarity appeal to the masses - most who do not know the difference or care about even these real differences I've just dispelled.

Brita Water Filters Company Information