Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

We bought our house in 2019 and the contractor who built the house installed a nice Bradford White hybrid water heater. This water heater ran great with no issues until the day before Christmas Eve of 2021. My wife noticed that the water in her shower was not very hot. I came home from work that night to check it out and noticed that the water heater seemed to have no power. The fancy panel/motherboard was black and would not reset with the reset button. I had to stay home from work on Christmas Eve day and first called Bradford White which had a recorded message that they were closed for the holidays. I then called a local company to come and take a look at it. They stated they did not service our area.

Three phone calls later and a company said they would come look at it, which they did. However, they could not do anything. They did state we had power to the water heater, but they could not do anything else. I had to call another company from a town an hour away and had to pay a $350 service charge for them to come out. They came out and looked everything over. This service man had a lot of experience and stated that the motherboard in the water heater was dead and needed to be replaced. However, he stated it was cheaper to replace the water heater than order a motherboard. Well, we needed hot water, so this nice service man went back into town to get another water heater, came all the way back out and replaced our water heater with a Rheem. Needless to say, our total bill was $2,800.

Fast forward to after the Christmas holiday, I called Bradford White and spoke to a customer service agent named Jada. She worked with me on the phone, seemed very nice and stated they would do what they could to help reimburse the cost of the water heater as it was under a 10 year warranty. She stated she would call back the next day. She did call back the next day and stated they were "still working on it." Since this time, I have not heard from her or the company and I have called three times, left three messages, with no response. This company does not stand behind the guaranteed warranty. I still have yet to hear from this company for any reimbursement at all. I would have even been happy with some of the cost in reimbursement. Do not buy from Bradford White. They do not help their customers or stand by their guaranteed warranty.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Terrible product, lasted 2 years. By comparison my previous unit lasted 20. Why would they put a microprocessor on the bottom of a 50 gallon water tank? Complete and total design flaw. Also reflects poorly on the installer.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Bradford White URG250T6N 50 gal water heater. Installed by plumber. 10 year warranty. Started gushing water in 2 1/2 years and flooded my garage. They honored the warranty on the water heater, but I'm still out $500 for a plumber. Very unsatisfactory. Customer service said they would not cover the labor even though the unit only lasted 2 1/2 years. That's not really standing behind your product.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Bradford White has to be the worst water heater in existence. A terrible product! I've had 3 Bradford White electric water heaters in 10 years. It seems like it's the only water heater that plumbers carry and I think it's because they know they won't last and can make money constantly replacing them. Anyways I had a 15 year old Rheem replaced with a Bradford White. Within two years it started leaking. The water heater was under warranty, but installation costs weren't, so I had to pay to have it replaced. This one lasted about 2 years before it started to leak too. Same story - under warranty, but had to pay to have it installed.

Next water heater lasted 6 years before water started pouring out of the bottom heating element door. This water heater is no longer under warranty and I can't find any plumber who doesn't carry anything besides Bradford White. Why would a plumbing company carry such an inferior product unless they plan to make money on service calls? Avoid these water heaters at all cost!!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

We purchased our Bradford White electric water heater in 2015. In 2019, its motherboard burnt and luckily it was still under warranty. We spent $700 to get new water heater installed. Fast forward, 2 years later, our water heater is leaking an immense amount of water from the bottom. Our plumber does not believe that the company will replace another. DO NOT buy this water heater!!! 2 water heaters in 6 years is just ridiculous. They should be ashamed of themselves...

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Ours died just after three months. We installed it July 2021 and here we go with no hot water October 2021. I have two blinks on the diagnostic light. Reading online it looks like a faulty pressure switch. Everything else running off natural gas in house works fine. My cheap big box water heater lasted at least 3 years before it started having problems. We'll see what the service company says in the morning.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Our plumber installed a new Bradford White water heater in our new house. Two months later, it started making a very loud buzzing/rattling noise. And then it started spilling water into the tray below, eventually flooding our laundry room. BW replaced the faulty heater, but they refused to pay for the reinstallation. So I ended up paying ~$600 to install the same water heater twice in about 3 months. My understanding is that their competitors have better warranties for when things go wrong. Would *not* recommend buying a BW heater.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Got a 10 year warranty water heater. 3 years then fail. Company is like "pay a plumber we appove of" to convince us it was our failure and "we will provide a free replacement part 2 weeks after the failure." You are okay waiting 2 weeks for hot water and trust us to decide on the failure right? I mean just because we don't answer our phone and you have to wait 20 minutes doesn't mean we are not honest? Cmon it's just normal not to tell you the specific details of our warranty.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

New 50-gallon Bradford White water heater was installed in my new home in 2018. It FAILED after only 3.5 years with water leaking out all around the top, connection on side and around the bottom. When the plumber called supplier, this water heater is no longer being sold. Even though Bradford White say the water heater has a 6 year warranty, I found the warranty to be useless. The plumber called, as well to confirm. I have NEVER had a water heater fail this fast. All others have lasted for many years. I then decided to have a Noritz tankless water heater installed. I'll never purchase another product from Bradford White!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I had a Bradford White Gas Water Heater installed to replace a 15 year old water heater that was still working. After 2 years on the Bradford White, an internal seal or weld gave way and it sprayed water over a bunch of items which were not tolerant of water and leaked over part of the basement laundry room. Needless to say I am not impressed and after reading other reviews here, I would definitely recommend buying from another company.

Bradford White author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

Bradford White Company Information