2.2/5 (365 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I have two Bradford/White 40gal gas Powervent tanks at my residence that were initially installed by the builder in 2005. Since then I have had to replace each tank every 2-3 years due to leaking water. After recent failure of tank(s) and denial by Bradford/White to honor warranty, I asked for help from the City of Batavia, IL water department. Bradford /White customer service/lab began to blame tank failures on the water provided by the City of Batavia and lac of maintenance by me, the homeowner for their faulty tank design. I can tell you I regularly drained a bucket of water monthly from each tank spicket and annually drained/flushed each tank as well.

Batavia City water department came to my residence and checked water pressure and water hardness after running through the hot water tanks. Total Hardness (as CaCC03) 1.5gpg or 25 ppm (hot side water sampling) using SoftChek water quality test trips for total hardness. Water pressure was recorded at 65psi using a standard water pressure gauge. City official said it is a water tank issue. My residence has a whole house water filter, hot water specific water filter and water softener.

Bradford/White has a major issue with premature failure causing tanks to leak. My suggestion is to stay away from them all together to avoid the premature failure of their water tanks based on my experiences. Rheem/Rudd much better design and their customer service doesn't have to spend all their time defending faulty, leaky design and material defects!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Ryan Homes development- Water Heater is 2-1/2 years old and have had to replace 2 elements and 2 thermostats. Company will not back-up their 6 years warranty on product. Other people in development having been having same type issues. Stay away.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

Had a plumber install a new Bradford HWH to replace an older Reem HWH that was not leaking and running fine. Just did not want to deal with having to rush when the old one might break or start leaking. Installed Feb 2020 and here it is November 2022 and the Bradford White started leaking all over my basement. Called the original plumber and was told it was under warranty and the tank would be replace by Bradford White, but I have to pay the 500 dollars for installation and wait 5 days till he can get here. Must be to keep plumbers in business. Next time I will buy from the big box store and install myself. Not a happy customer.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Had a Bradford 55gal Hot Water Tank (HWT) installed 9/20 (manufactured summer 2020) Model RE250T6-1NCWW. Detected issues and called in plumber to assess, plumber remarked that they been busy all year with BradfordWhite HWT. Anode failure (wrong construction material) resulting in damage to interior tank. BradfordWhite would only address minor repair and not acknowledge poor manufacturing that resulted in further damages. Plumber advised that recent experience has shown that repair and flush to these BradfordWhite HWT, would not last long and to expect problems again <1yr. Previous Rheem Tank lasted 20+years no issue.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I bought a house in 2020 with a Bradford White hot water tank in it, and according to the serial number, the tank was made in 2011. The tank failed shortly after I moved in. Repairs cost $200 to apparently clean out dust from the bottom of the tank. Eight months later, another fail with no hot water and no relighting of the ignition. I now see why there are several service stickers on the tank. They were not annual inspections, they were multiple repairs. Time to buy a real hot water tank and scrap this dollar-store item!

Original review: June 14, 2022

I have a American Home Shield warranty. My Hot water heater failed last August. They replaced it with a Bradford-White. It failed after less than a Year. I have been dealing with this issue for a week now. Their product, their warranty and their "licensed" warranty service companies have been terrible. Don't buy from Bradford White.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Two water heaters broke within 5 years and the warranty is for 6 from the original install, regardless of the replacements. The inside of the heater is FAULTY and cracks. There was all kinds of rust. Now, I have to either pay for labor...$1200...to get a replacement installed that will likely break again in 2 years OUT of warranty after already paying for labor again in 2019 for the first replacement...or I can scrap it all and start over. Neither of which I can afford right now.

Why do *I* have to pay for someone else's mistake, lack of work ethic and crappy workmanship? In this case, it's Bradford White. I called Bradford White and they passed everything off as my fault. I've had 2 plumbers out here...they've assured me it's not. It's a faulty product that neither will sell anymore. But Bradford White will not stand by their own water heaters and, so far, will take no responsibility for it. A water heater shouldn't die after 2 years. It shouldn't die after 5 years. There's no excuse for this and it's incredibly frustrating and disappointing. In a time when everything is so hyperinflated with costs, it hurts even more.

Original review: April 2, 2022

40 gallon gas water heater, model# RG240T6N. Unknown to me, comes with a 90 day warranty. That's it. So now 18 months later, control not working. Pilot won't stay light because led light won't function. I used to buy Home Depot wh - they lasted 4 years. A so called top water heater - Bradford White only lasted 18 months. Looks like I'm going back to Home Depot. I do not recommend.

Original review: March 29, 2022

We recently installed the Aerotherm heat pump water heater from Bradford White. I was worried about noise levels because of the location within our house but with the vents attached we are experiencing just under 50 dba from 3 feet (56 dba @ 3 feet without vents). Have been running it on heat pump only mode for two weeks now and have experienced consistent hot water. Just fantastic and our natural gas bill has dropped significantly (vs. our old natural gas water heater which was also Bradford White and reached end of life without any issues). I wish the tank had some of the advanced scheduling features, etc. that its competition has but the low noise level and consistent hot water are excellent.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Bradford White not take responsibility and cover labor cost of replacing 2 hot water heaters within 5 years. Brand new house built in 2016 1st HWH breaks in 2019, under warranty was replaced, but I was out $1000 in labor, 2021 replaced again, under warranty, but, I am out $2000 in labor. At lest this time they offered a $500 check as a goodwill gesture, in 2019 I got nothing! Stand by your products and do the right thing!

Bradford White author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

Bradford White Company Information