1.44/5
Based on 149 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 21, 2018

153 Bradford White Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2018

November 30, 2016 we replaced our 15 year old water heater with a Bradford White. April of 2018 (1 year and 5 months) later we were losing hot water. We called the company that installed the heater and a service employee attended our problem. WE HAD PURCHASED A DEFECTIVE HOT WATER TANK!!! It had to be replaced. The company charged us $289 to service this problem. We will never purchase a Bradford White Water Tank again. We also do not get the full 6 year warranty on this new tank, only 4 1/2 years left on the defective tank. We will never purchase a Bradford White again or do business with the company that represented them.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I paid top dollar for the best 50 gal. water heater they sold. 1 year later and the pilot light goes out everyday. I called about the 6 year warranty. What a joke. They will replaced the part for free BUT I have to hire an Authorized plumber that charges $300.00 per hour! Wish I had checked the reviews first. I will never buy their products ever again. Should have gone to Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Our Bradford White model M25056DS-1ncwn is 5.5 years old when the lower element went out. We confirmed that it was under warranty with BW but they would not work with us. We had to work through our whole seller who did not want to file a claim since it turned out that BW would only pay for the heating element part ($8.50). It turns out that BW would not pay for the labor cost of $95. I have had built several houses the last 30 years and have never had a unit go out so early in its lifecycle. I would not have another BW and I would not recommend to anyone considering to buy a BW when their unit was defective so early in its life leaving me to believe it is of poor quality.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Bradford White just know their products so well. The warranty period is just a little bit shorter than the actual life of the water tank. Just like some other consumers, Bradford White customer service offers no help at all. It's hard to believe that expensive 75 Gal. water tank (PDX275) can only serve 2 people for less than 7 years.

Original review: March 24, 2018

New BW tank has good performance for the cost. The 1st hour rating is much better than most other brands. Tanks have changed since the last time I had to replace a water heater 15 years ago. Since I used another Bradford White the connections lined up perfect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: March 21, 2018

After debating whether or not I wanted to have a tankless water heater installed I finally decided to replace my old water heater with another Bradford White. Great water heater. Tankless would have been nice but I plan on moving in 5 to 8 years and just don't know if I'll see the return on my investment.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I replaced an AO Smith water heater in 1996 with a Bradford White. The AO Smith lasted five years. I first thought the AO Smith was made in the USA, I saw one at a business I was working and it said made in USA. After that was installed, I looked at the info on the unit and found it was made in Mexico. I guess they decided to move to Mexico for cheap labor.

So I wanted a new water made in America. The only one I found then was the Bradford White from a local plumbing company. So I bought a 50 gallon one. I just replace it in 2016. Yes it lasted 20 years. It started to leak at the bottom so I knew it was time to replace it. The plumber that replaced it told me the tank inside had dropped two inches, but it did not burst. The company that has install the Bradford White in my area no longer carried them. So I bought a Whirlpool from Lowe's that was made in America and came with an 8 year warranty.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I bought this 40 gal water heater in Feb 2017. Running out of water after 10 minutes shower. Requested a verification with their technician. After verification they say it's normal. I had one cascade before. Never missed water in my life. Never buy product from them. It's garbage!

Original review: March 2, 2018

50 gal model #450s6en12 in 5 bedroom 3 bath home... Not a single problem for the last 18 years. Will definitely buy another... tankless water 4 system at almost 4 times the cost to replace with another equivalent system. Can't touch this.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have had a great experience with Bradford White. We've had two Bradford White water heaters in our home and have been very satisfied with them. The first one lasted almost 16 years before it went and the current one is 19 years going on 20 years old with zero issues! Great quality products from an American company!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I purchased my home in 2005 with a Bradford White water heater, in 2008 it leaked and was replaced, again in 2013 it leaked and was replaced and now in 2017 water is all over my basement floor as again it leaked... Called the company to check on warranty status and was informed that the warranty goes back to the unit that was replaced thus no warranty. I asked representative if this was normal for this product as I am seventy years old and have owned several homes and have never had this problem. I asked if I could be connected to someone that might have a suggestion what to do. No response except for, "I am sorry."

Subsequently I looked up reviews on this product and there are hundreds if not more similar experiences with this BRADFORD WHITE water heater. Obviously I will not be replacing this with another Bradford White as the company does not appear to really care about this product. Anyone reading this should beware about this product sold by BRADFORD WHITE.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My water heater was a replacement under warranty for a GE heat pump water heater that had a small crack in the catch tray for water condensate. Apparently GE is out of the heat pump WH business and since the unit was still under warranty, they offered a new Bradford White unit. At 3 1/2 months, there was a beeping and error code. Our installer came and looked at it and determined that there was a refrigerant leak. Bradford White offered to send the parts to repair the leak, but said the labor was on us. The installer gave us a price of $1700 to do the repairs (it cost almost $1000 to remove the old unit and install the new one).

I recognize that the repair costs are really high, but since the Bradford White unit uses automotive refrigerant, they needed to purchase new equipment to recover and replace it. In any case, 3 1/2 months is an absurd amount of time before there was a problem. I will never purchase anything from Bradford White in the future given their poor quality and refusal to stand behind their product. And recommend anyone looking at their equipment to look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

When the original water heater started leaking after about 4.5 years I contacted Bradford and they agreed to swap the faulty unit per their warranty for free. Although, I had to pay the labor to a local plumber $250.00. Nice warranty, isn't it? The new unit lasted about 2 years and now is leaking just as the original one was. Stay away from this manufacturer at all costs. They put together a piece of junk that will not even last for their own warranty period.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

My Bradford White 50 gallon water heater sprung a leak and flooded my basement in August of 2016. It had only lasted 14 months, it was installed in June of 2015, Bradford White gave me a new water heater, but I had to pay a plumber 300 dollars to remove the leaking unit and install the new unit. I was stuck with cleaning up the mess in the basement too. I called the corporate offices on three separate occasions and spoke to someone in consumer affairs. I was promised each time that they would look into the matter and return my call. As of October 2017 I still haven't heard from them, I believe I should be reimbursed for the labor cost, a water heater that breaks down in 14 months is a joke, they obviously sell junk and don't believe in customer service. Never again will I deal with Bradford White!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Four years ago I purchased a Bradford White gas water heater. In less than 2 years the temperature of the water could not be controlled, as I kept turning it lower and lower as it stayed very hot. When I called the company I was told to set it at pilot which I did... still too hot. A plumber looked at it and told me everything was fine because the blinking green light was blinking. I suggested that maybe something was wrong with the blinking light! This patient person finally ran out of patience and called another plumber. The temperature of the water on just the pilot light was 134 degrees. The plumber has changed out hundreds of the sensors in these water heaters because they only last about 2 years... about $200 part. If you don't mind the built-in obsolescence expense every 2 years and poor customer service, by all means purchase a Bradford White water heater.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We had A B-W 50 gal. water heater installed when we built our home in 2001. It started leaking and was replaced in July 2013 by another B-W 50 gal. water heater. In Sep 2017, the replacement started leaking. A call to B-W requesting the heater be replaced under warranty was a joke. They wanted me to buy another B-W heater and when they had a chance to inspect mine they would issue a refund. So they will only warrant the heater if you buy another one from them. Why would anyone buy one of their water heaters, when they only last four years? I submitted an email to B-W and they promised to get back to me in 48 hours. It's been over a week now, I don't think it's going to happen. Their warranty and their word are worthless. I urge you to avoid their products as I will in the future.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We have a 75 Gal Bradford White hot water heater that is just at the end of its warranty (6 years)... We started experiencing very yellow - almost brown hot water. Had numerous discussions with Bradford White reps here in Canada. Their solution was a new anode rod which I had installed (not covered under warranty). When I read my warranty it clearly states they do not cover rust or coloured water!! I have also heard from a number of plumbers that the new anode rod will work only for approx 6 months to a year. I have checked other water heaters and they have longer warranties and cover yellow/brown water issues. When I replace this unit - will NOT purchase another Bradford White!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My RG240T6N 40 gallon gas water heater was installed only 3 months ago and I've been far from satisfied with it. It has a Honeywell electronic-type gas control valve. The manual says the LOW setting runs approximately 55 degrees fahrenheit. Well, not mine. Not by a long shot! When my water heater is set on the lowest setting, the hot water coming out of my faucet is appearingly scorching hot. I called Bradford's tech support and he was far from sympathetic. He told me there was nothing else I could do to adjust the gas valve and he was there to support licensed contractors and not homeowner me. He said I had to hire a licensed plumber to look at it before Bradford White would even consider doing anything for me.

He never even asked me which model I have and said he's never had anyone complain of this issue. I then volunteered my model number and he answered extremely dismissively. He was extremely standoffish and I told him this experience is driving me to never purchase Bradford White again. He said if that was my decision, so be it. My previous Reliance water heater was still working after 18 years of perfect service. I was wrong to think a new Bradford White would serve me well. I was just as wrong to think I could get any satisfaction from calling them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have BW water heater installed in my house and every 4 years it always leaks, they have very poor warranty and I ended up spending double plus I have to pay for the plumber, they have very poor customer service too. I will never buy this brand of water heater again. This BW I had broke in 2009, 2013 and now it's 2017, just within 4 years time this BW leaked and it flooded all over my basement. The same exact problem that I had way back 2013. So to other customers who are planning to buy a new hot water heater I advised you guys not to buy this brand because it's just a waste of money, it's a crappy product. Thank you all for reading this review and this is an honest review from a concerned person. Thank you to all again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Less than 3 year old Bradford White's Defender water heater already leaks. Previous water heater lasted 15 years. The water heater is covered under warranty for a replacement; however different upgraded model = more money (out of my pocket) due to "Federal Regulatory changes" and the cost of labor is coming out of my pocket as well. Extremely poor customer service and products. Made in America... It's no wonder so many buy foreign these days. They should be ashamed.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Had my Bradford White 50 gallon gas water heater installed in 2013. Here we are in the middle of August, 2017 and I walk out into my garage this morning to leave for work and find my garage flooded. No, wasn't the pressure relief valve, seems the tank let loose. The temp setting was not all the way up and the tank had been flushed a minimum of four times over the past four years. I cannot believe they were made so cheap that it only last 4 years. Sad! Manufactured: Feb 14, 2013 Warranty Length: Tank 6 years Parts 6 years.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I installed a Bradford White hot water heater in my sister house on December of 2009. The factory supply nipples moved inward causing the soldered couplings to leak. Of course BW is denying any water heater malfunction. Just trying to get the word out for future buyers. I have pictures also.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I went to a supplier today to replace a part from my Bradford White Hydrojet water heater, (gas control valve) and noticed that the new part which cost $185.00 is made of metal and that my part is made of plastic which is very important, because my part melted where the hot water flows. This is a clear indication to me that Bradford White and Honeywell are well aware that the old previous version of the hot water gas control valve, is and was a default product, and for those reasons, it should not matter if a person's warranty is out or not, because the fact of the matter is, they sold a faulty product and should be held accountable and responsible and should stand by their product.

Original review: July 14, 2017

We have a Bradford White. Within 5 years, it started leaking and stopped working. It is still under warranty. Bradford White asked me that I would have to pay for the replacement unit and a warranty fee of $35 first before they would even process the warranty. This seems like a ploy to get me to buy a new water heater. I am willing to wait until the warranty is approved before I get someone to install a new water heater but they said that their process won't allow it. If I pay for a replacement unit and pay for labor to get it installed, and then if they don't even honor the warranty, what should I do then?

Original review: June 21, 2017

I am asking everyone that has a problem with Bradford White products to call the distributor where you purchased it from and let them know that you are unsatisfied with the product and customer service. The first water heater first leaked within three years and needed to be replaced and the second needs a new gas control valve and is just out of warranty. After many hours of complaining to Bradford White about their inferior products, they just hid behind the warranty and denied my claim. Amy told me that they gave great customer service because the first CRAPPY water heater replacement was "free". But that free water heater cost me $900 to install and the new one will be over $600 to repair. They have obviously dealt with many warranty issues and complaints before and if they actually honored their warranties "THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS". So Sad!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

The igniter goes out every 4 months. You constantly have to go and turn it on which is a headache itself due to you have to reset the module. I had to pay for a plumber after hours to switch out parts which the manufacturer says will reimbursement. That's a big lie. You have to get their authorized plumbers that only work businesses hours. Save yourself the grief. Stay away from this water heater company.

Original review: June 2, 2017

We had the Bradford White gas 50-gallon water heater installed 3.5 years ago. The previous one lasted for almost 11 years. It started leaking over the past weekend. I contacted the plumber and they found that the problem causing the leaks was due to the faulty temperature control vault. I always have to make many adjustment on the vault in order to get the correct water temperature each time after we returned from vacations. It's either too hot or not hot enough. Gave it a slight touch and it changes the temperature unpredictably. The tank was still under the 6-year warranty but the labor warranty was over in 3 years. I contacted the company and ask them to cover the labor cost because the problem was caused by a faulty device that it was first installed. They refused to take any responsibilities and stated that the labor cost was the responsibility of the customer.

Original review: May 20, 2017

The internal breaker cuts power after a couple uses if there is hot water in the hot water tank and doesn't reset for days, weeks, months. Worst purchase of my life. Screws don't even work when accessing the reset and temperature dials.

Original review: March 18, 2017

We installed a commercial grade expensive water heater when the restaurant was built four years ago, the heater started leaking past week. We called two different plumbers and they both are saying that the tank is rotten from inside and therefore leaking, there is no way to fix it and needs to be replaced. They are estimating the cost to be between $4500-$8500. When you buy such an expensive high quality water heater, you expect it last at least 10-15 years. I would like to request a new replacement water heater at no cost, I will pay for the labor which could be anywhere from 1000-1500 dollars. Thanks.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Would not buy this brand again. Since I got this BW HW heater 1.5 years ago, the temp control has been terrible. It's either way too hot or not hot enough. Move it just a scootch, and it changes unpredictably. I had the installer check it and they said nothing they can do. Very annoying. Either I have to have way too hot water, and be paying to have it way too hot, or not hot enough. Terrible quality.

Bradford White expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

• Best for: Wholesalers, contractors, builders and consumers needing a residential hot water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs