2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My Bradford White water heater is going on 20 years. As a former plumbing associate at your local big box, I knew about and performed maintenance on my own tank. After reading many of these reviews, it appears that repairs are being made willy nilly by people who don't have the service manual and are just replacing parts randomly. BW has an excellent service manual that an informed service tech/plumber or advanced homeowner can follow along and make systematic diagnoses based on methodical testing. It sounds like that was not done in many cases. So before you threaten with a lawyer, get an informed plumber to do this testing. Some complaints appear to have been poor wiring on the part of the installer, not the company's fault. Based on my experience, I would buy another BW and I do not own stock or know the VP of sales or have any other connection other than having experience working on my own unit.

Original review: April 8, 2020

We recently had our 2nd Bradford White water heater installed. The old one lasted 20+ years and was still working. We decided it should be replaced before something else happened so it made sense to get another one when the contractor, Service First in Newtown, PA, recommended it. Love that they're American made.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2020

I used external insulation up as far as the temperature control panel. Two degree temperature difference on the top, compared to ambient cellar temp at six feet. Keep heat from escaping. It will escape.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

New water heater installed in September 2019 and was leaking water just 18 months later. A licensed plumber discovered that due to the leaking the pilot light would not stay lit. Had it not still been under warranty for replacement I would not have never purchased another Bradford White.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

New 40gal Defender water heater installed May 2020 as a warranty replacement for other defective one. Warranty goes from original install and has now expired. I've had issues with water temp and had to have defective thermostat replaced ($400) and now pressure relief valve has a pretty fast constant drip and needs to be replaced. Shouldn't have these problems with 7 mth old water heater.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

On September 21, 2020, Poe's Plumbing & Backflow replaced our water with Bradford White 50 gallon Eco-Defender Ultra Low NOx Serries (gas), magnesium rod with our 12 yrs Whirlpool gas. On Oct 8, 2020, my son broke out in hives and continued to broke out in hives until they replaced the water heater with aluminum rod on Dec 30, 2020. Bradford White or American Home Shield did not cover the plumber cost and we paid the full installation cost for the labor of $462. Between September 8, 2020 and December 30, 2020, I had to chase down Judy at Poe's Plumbing & Backflow, American Home Shield and Bradford White to replace a new gas 50 gallons water heater with aluminum rod.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Purchased and installed a Bradford White water heater on 12/3/2020 and found out on 1/11/2021 (had to call a plumber) that we had a bad part (T&P valve), the plumber purchased a new valve and installed it for $350. When I contacted the Bradford White warranty department I found out (like other reviews stated) they will not deal with the actual consumer who paid all original costs plus repair cost, they will only deal with the contracted plumber through the supplier (Ferguson, as an example). So I am out $350 for something that should have been covered by Bradford White, this is not right!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Failed in less than 1 year in a residential home with only 2 senior citizens using hot water. The mode RE380T6 was supposed to have a 6 year warranty. The only way they'll honor a warranty is for parts exchange only and your plumber has to deal with the paperwork at the distributor. Try calling a plumber and telling him to deal with this and see when he'll come. So let's say the parts are $50 and the plumber charges you $200 to do the install. In other words, the warranty is useless and in order to get the water heater fixed timely you have to pay the $250. I'll never buy anything from Bradford again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Very poor product, stay away. Warranty is useless. I still had to dish out more money for repairs. I used Select Home Warranty to repair, however they did not reimburse me, nor did Bradford White. So unhappy with the whole situation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

The AO Smith water heater that came with the house lasted 18 years before it needed to be replaced. I got a Bradford White that failed in just 18 months and had it replaced under warranty. After only a year we had to put in a new anode in the warranty replacement water heater. 12 months later that water heater ruptured. No warranty for a water heater replaced under warranty. I guarantee that I won't be getting a third Bradford White.

Bradford White author review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team