1.13/5
  • 1 star
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

143 Bradford White Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I purchased my home in 2005 with a Bradford White water heater, in 2008 it leaked and was replaced, again in 2013 it leaked and was replaced and now in 2017 water is all over my basement floor as again it leaked... Called the company to check on warranty status and was informed that the warranty goes back to the unit that was replaced thus no warranty. I asked representative if this was normal for this product as I am seventy years old and have owned several homes and have never had this problem. I asked if I could be connected to someone that might have a suggestion what to do. No response except for, "I am sorry."

Subsequently I looked up reviews on this product and there are hundreds if not more similar experiences with this BRADFORD WHITE water heater. Obviously I will not be replacing this with another Bradford White as the company does not appear to really care about this product. Anyone reading this should beware about this product sold by BRADFORD WHITE.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My water heater was a replacement under warranty for a GE heat pump water heater that had a small crack in the catch tray for water condensate. Apparently GE is out of the heat pump WH business and since the unit was still under warranty, they offered a new Bradford White unit. At 3 1/2 months, there was a beeping and error code. Our installer came and looked at it and determined that there was a refrigerant leak. Bradford White offered to send the parts to repair the leak, but said the labor was on us. The installer gave us a price of $1700 to do the repairs (it cost almost $1000 to remove the old unit and install the new one).

I recognize that the repair costs are really high, but since the Bradford White unit uses automotive refrigerant, they needed to purchase new equipment to recover and replace it. In any case, 3 1/2 months is an absurd amount of time before there was a problem. I will never purchase anything from Bradford White in the future given their poor quality and refusal to stand behind their product. And recommend anyone looking at their equipment to look elsewhere.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

When the original water heater started leaking after about 4.5 years I contacted Bradford and they agreed to swap the faulty unit per their warranty for free. Although, I had to pay the labor to a local plumber $250.00. Nice warranty, isn't it? The new unit lasted about 2 years and now is leaking just as the original one was. Stay away from this manufacturer at all costs. They put together a piece of junk that will not even last for their own warranty period.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

My Bradford White 50 gallon water heater sprung a leak and flooded my basement in August of 2016. It had only lasted 14 months, it was installed in June of 2015, Bradford White gave me a new water heater, but I had to pay a plumber 300 dollars to remove the leaking unit and install the new unit. I was stuck with cleaning up the mess in the basement too. I called the corporate offices on three separate occasions and spoke to someone in consumer affairs. I was promised each time that they would look into the matter and return my call. As of October 2017 I still haven't heard from them, I believe I should be reimbursed for the labor cost, a water heater that breaks down in 14 months is a joke, they obviously sell junk and don't believe in customer service. Never again will I deal with Bradford White!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Four years ago I purchased a Bradford White gas water heater. In less than 2 years the temperature of the water could not be controlled, as I kept turning it lower and lower as it stayed very hot. When I called the company I was told to set it at pilot which I did... still too hot. A plumber looked at it and told me everything was fine because the blinking green light was blinking. I suggested that maybe something was wrong with the blinking light! This patient person finally ran out of patience and called another plumber. The temperature of the water on just the pilot light was 134 degrees. The plumber has changed out hundreds of the sensors in these water heaters because they only last about 2 years... about $200 part. If you don't mind the built-in obsolescence expense every 2 years and poor customer service, by all means purchase a Bradford White water heater.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

We had A B-W 50 gal. water heater installed when we built our home in 2001. It started leaking and was replaced in July 2013 by another B-W 50 gal. water heater. In Sep 2017, the replacement started leaking. A call to B-W requesting the heater be replaced under warranty was a joke. They wanted me to buy another B-W heater and when they had a chance to inspect mine they would issue a refund. So they will only warrant the heater if you buy another one from them. Why would anyone buy one of their water heaters, when they only last four years? I submitted an email to B-W and they promised to get back to me in 48 hours. It's been over a week now, I don't think it's going to happen. Their warranty and their word are worthless. I urge you to avoid their products as I will in the future.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We have a 75 Gal Bradford White hot water heater that is just at the end of its warranty (6 years)... We started experiencing very yellow - almost brown hot water. Had numerous discussions with Bradford White reps here in Canada. Their solution was a new anode rod which I had installed (not covered under warranty). When I read my warranty it clearly states they do not cover rust or coloured water!! I have also heard from a number of plumbers that the new anode rod will work only for approx 6 months to a year. I have checked other water heaters and they have longer warranties and cover yellow/brown water issues. When I replace this unit - will NOT purchase another Bradford White!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My RG240T6N 40 gallon gas water heater was installed only 3 months ago and I've been far from satisfied with it. It has a Honeywell electronic-type gas control valve. The manual says the LOW setting runs approximately 55 degrees fahrenheit. Well, not mine. Not by a long shot! When my water heater is set on the lowest setting, the hot water coming out of my faucet is appearingly scorching hot. I called Bradford's tech support and he was far from sympathetic. He told me there was nothing else I could do to adjust the gas valve and he was there to support licensed contractors and not homeowner me. He said I had to hire a licensed plumber to look at it before Bradford White would even consider doing anything for me.

He never even asked me which model I have and said he's never had anyone complain of this issue. I then volunteered my model number and he answered extremely dismissively. He was extremely standoffish and I told him this experience is driving me to never purchase Bradford White again. He said if that was my decision, so be it. My previous Reliance water heater was still working after 18 years of perfect service. I was wrong to think a new Bradford White would serve me well. I was just as wrong to think I could get any satisfaction from calling them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have BW water heater installed in my house and every 4 years it always leaks, they have very poor warranty and I ended up spending double plus I have to pay for the plumber, they have very poor customer service too. I will never buy this brand of water heater again. This BW I had broke in 2009, 2013 and now it's 2017, just within 4 years time this BW leaked and it flooded all over my basement. The same exact problem that I had way back 2013. So to other customers who are planning to buy a new hot water heater I advised you guys not to buy this brand because it's just a waste of money, it's a crappy product. Thank you all for reading this review and this is an honest review from a concerned person. Thank you to all again.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Less than 3 year old Bradford White's Defender water heater already leaks. Previous water heater lasted 15 years. The water heater is covered under warranty for a replacement; however different upgraded model = more money (out of my pocket) due to "Federal Regulatory changes" and the cost of labor is coming out of my pocket as well. Extremely poor customer service and products. Made in America... It's no wonder so many buy foreign these days. They should be ashamed.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Had my Bradford White 50 gallon gas water heater installed in 2013. Here we are in the middle of August, 2017 and I walk out into my garage this morning to leave for work and find my garage flooded. No, wasn't the pressure relief valve, seems the tank let loose. The temp setting was not all the way up and the tank had been flushed a minimum of four times over the past four years. I cannot believe they were made so cheap that it only last 4 years. Sad! Manufactured: Feb 14, 2013 Warranty Length: Tank 6 years Parts 6 years.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I installed a Bradford White hot water heater in my sister house on December of 2009. The factory supply nipples moved inward causing the soldered couplings to leak. Of course BW is denying any water heater malfunction. Just trying to get the word out for future buyers. I have pictures also.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I went to a supplier today to replace a part from my Bradford White Hydrojet water heater, (gas control valve) and noticed that the new part which cost $185.00 is made of metal and that my part is made of plastic which is very important, because my part melted where the hot water flows. This is a clear indication to me that Bradford White and Honeywell are well aware that the old previous version of the hot water gas control valve, is and was a default product, and for those reasons, it should not matter if a person's warranty is out or not, because the fact of the matter is, they sold a faulty product and should be held accountable and responsible and should stand by their product.

Original review: July 14, 2017

We have a Bradford White. Within 5 years, it started leaking and stopped working. It is still under warranty. Bradford White asked me that I would have to pay for the replacement unit and a warranty fee of $35 first before they would even process the warranty. This seems like a ploy to get me to buy a new water heater. I am willing to wait until the warranty is approved before I get someone to install a new water heater but they said that their process won't allow it. If I pay for a replacement unit and pay for labor to get it installed, and then if they don't even honor the warranty, what should I do then?

Original review: June 21, 2017

I am asking everyone that has a problem with Bradford White products to call the distributor where you purchased it from and let them know that you are unsatisfied with the product and customer service. The first water heater first leaked within three years and needed to be replaced and the second needs a new gas control valve and is just out of warranty. After many hours of complaining to Bradford White about their inferior products, they just hid behind the warranty and denied my claim. Amy told me that they gave great customer service because the first CRAPPY water heater replacement was "free". But that free water heater cost me $900 to install and the new one will be over $600 to repair. They have obviously dealt with many warranty issues and complaints before and if they actually honored their warranties "THEY WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS". So Sad!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

The igniter goes out every 4 months. You constantly have to go and turn it on which is a headache itself due to you have to reset the module. I had to pay for a plumber after hours to switch out parts which the manufacturer says will reimbursement. That's a big lie. You have to get their authorized plumbers that only work businesses hours. Save yourself the grief. Stay away from this water heater company.

Original review: June 2, 2017

We had the Bradford White gas 50-gallon water heater installed 3.5 years ago. The previous one lasted for almost 11 years. It started leaking over the past weekend. I contacted the plumber and they found that the problem causing the leaks was due to the faulty temperature control vault. I always have to make many adjustment on the vault in order to get the correct water temperature each time after we returned from vacations. It's either too hot or not hot enough. Gave it a slight touch and it changes the temperature unpredictably. The tank was still under the 6-year warranty but the labor warranty was over in 3 years. I contacted the company and ask them to cover the labor cost because the problem was caused by a faulty device that it was first installed. They refused to take any responsibilities and stated that the labor cost was the responsibility of the customer.

Original review: May 20, 2017

The internal breaker cuts power after a couple uses if there is hot water in the hot water tank and doesn't reset for days, weeks, months. Worst purchase of my life. Screws don't even work when accessing the reset and temperature dials.

Original review: March 18, 2017

We installed a commercial grade expensive water heater when the restaurant was built four years ago, the heater started leaking past week. We called two different plumbers and they both are saying that the tank is rotten from inside and therefore leaking, there is no way to fix it and needs to be replaced. They are estimating the cost to be between $4500-$8500. When you buy such an expensive high quality water heater, you expect it last at least 10-15 years. I would like to request a new replacement water heater at no cost, I will pay for the labor which could be anywhere from 1000-1500 dollars. Thanks.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Would not buy this brand again. Since I got this BW HW heater 1.5 years ago, the temp control has been terrible. It's either way too hot or not hot enough. Move it just a scootch, and it changes unpredictably. I had the installer check it and they said nothing they can do. Very annoying. Either I have to have way too hot water, and be paying to have it way too hot, or not hot enough. Terrible quality.

Original review: March 2, 2017

The Bradford White Gas Power Vent water heater failed without warning overnight causing extensive flooding and water damage to a finished basement. Water heater was almost 10 years old. Should be built with a safety water cut off valve that ceases water supply to water heater if incoming water rate is greater than exiting flow.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I have owned this Bradford White water heater for 3yrs at a cost of $1700. Installed. And every year since it needed repair, the (vapour sensor) at a cost of $170. Twice so far. And every year I have contacted Bradford White for warranty by emails with no results. So would I recommend one of these. Definitely Not.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

We had the Bradford White gas 40 gallon hot water heater B/Wmitw40s6fbn installed 3.5 years ago after being surprised that the prior Bradford White unit lasted over 13 years. I thought we would have the same luck, but it started leaking from the side somewhere and leaking down the unit after 3.5 years. The pilot light seemed to also be going on and off a lot. Luckily my wife, Melinda discovered it leaking and cleaned up the puddle before it went into our finished half of the basement and into my office. My 3 sons, 13, 15 and 18 as well as Mindy and I had to do without hot water for a few days as it happened during February vacation and we were going skiing. We returned on the weekend so had to take showers at the country club for a few days.

The plumber said that Bradford White would charge $140 for the new tank for shipping and the fact that it was a newer and better model. It looked exactly the same as the other unit. Plus it cost me $300 in labor to replace it. I will keep a close eye on this one after reading all the negative reviews. It seems as though Bradford White have done a 180 since we bought the last one 17 years ago when it was with our newly purchased home. It is made in the U.S. so I can't blame it for being made in China! There is obviously a defect with this 40 gallon tank.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I purchased water heater in 2008 that failed under warranty a few years later. The company agreed to replace it under warranty free of charge with the exception of labor. This newer unit is now having issues and I paid for the repair of two thermostats because it assumed the remaining warranty of the original failed unit, and no longer has a warranty. Customer service informed me that they may have been willing to offer a discount on price of repair if I would have called them before it was completed. Not available though after the repair. It is difficult to understand how the newer unit does not also have an original warranty. Now penalized twice for one failed unit and one that is also malfunctioning after a few years. I will not purchase this brand again and will be very clear about when a warranty starts and ends when I purchase a replacement.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I spoke to a representative Danielle on Friday Feb 17, 2017. My water heater that was a replacement of a warranty issue that was replaced in the end of 2014 and has now had the same issue as the previous one. We have had this 1 for 2 years. I spoke with the representative and she explained that the warranty for this new heater goes off the warranty start date of the old heater, even though the heater has broken 2 years later and that the issues and complaints against their heaters list goes on and on.

I explained that I do not feel that I should be liable to replace a heater that was a replacement on a faulty 1 they provided in the first place. I asked her if there was anything she can do for me and explained I am 7 months pregnant and have a 4 year old and buying a water heater should not be forced into my budget when a defect was provided. I said "so what you are saying is you cannot do anything for me and possibly nothing for me next week since it is the weekend?" She said "that is exactly what I am saying". I asked to be connected to her supervisor and I was transferred to a Amy. I left a message and of course had to follow-up again Tuesday (today 2/22/2017) in which I was told she did not get my message, odd because it was her VM that I left it on.

I was then told the same thing about the warranty (EXP 9/2016) and I expressed the same thing I did to Danielle. I was offered possibly replacement parts if I hired a plumber to take a look and access the findings and then on my dime I would have to pay to get the plumber to replace the parts. Plumbers are not cheap so I told her I would access the cost of that "offer" and probably go with a new heater. Two heaters in 4 years and to put more money on one that may not even last 1 more. I am very disheartened that the company would not make right on this issue. I try my best to buy American made products and support companies like this one but to be let down and bullied into buying a new heater when the ones they provided were faulty.

During my call I heard the word "unique" situation. Well if you look at reviews, problems with their heaters are not uncommon. Also their reliability on doing the right thing is anything but reliable. I would hate for another consumer to purchase a heater from this company and have to go through a issue like this one. Please take a look at the other reviews for their heaters, your finding will be the same and you will be glad you took the extra time to avoid the aggravation in the future.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Our BW 40 Gal. natural gas water heater has taken care of our family of 7 for 12 years so far. I have not had to do any repairs or call a tech in that time. So I have been very happy with it so far. The reason for the review was because I was surprised at all the negative reviews and wanted to share that I have had a totally opposite experience. Has the company changed? Why all the negative reviews? Hot water heaters are not that complicated. Yes my pilot light has gone out a few times in the last 12 years, but I don't think it is anything to complain about. It sounds like a lot of the complaints are dealing with the company. I have had no experience in that area, because I have had no need to contact them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

Bradford White Hot Water Heater Model Number M440T6FBN, Serial Number JM17492394 with Honeywell Smart Valve, Installed March, 2013. Bradford White, its executives, its procurement decision makers chose to change to the Honeywell Smart gas control valve (from White Rodgers gas control valve) a technology flawed part which fails shortly after tank installation systemic problem affection 1000s 10,000s owners of Bradford White gas hot water heaters. Bradford White has trained and instructed employees to keep silent to owner inquiries seeking explanation of equipment problem relating to lack of hot water in gas hot water heater which includes warranty representatives, technical support, regional sales offices, local plumbing vendors.

By the company's representatives and its regional sales office, preferred vendor plumbers silence, owners are at the mercy of plumbers who take advantage of a known technology parts problem over charging owners who are not able to operate their household without hot water. There is not one action on the part of the company and its representatives supporting the customer/owner of a company known flawed part affecting the hot water heater's performance. The like part to like part replacement solution where by the part must be presented to the distribution center first, in order to obtain a replacement part and then charge the owner for travel time, is not an acceptable process or fix. It puts extra money into the hands of the license plumbing company for what is a delivery driver work and the part will fail again.

The company, regional sales office and Hawthorne Plumbing need to look closely at the favorable statements made on their respective website for accuracy. Hawthorne Plumbing neither provides nor posts any written explanation of their Tier charge structure. It can and likely is applied discriminatory. It cannot or will not be explained by their employees when asked.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

50-gallon hot water heater was 55 months old and suddenly started leaking. Warranty was for 72 months BUT did not cover labor or any ancillary costs for delivering a new boiler, paperwork, etc. Total cost to replace my "warranty covered" unit... SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I'm a contractor and have found Bradford White water heaters failing at an alarming rate over the past six months (believe to have had four with the fifth coming today). Most of my problems seem to be with the Honeywell control either leaking or not working right (overheating). I have one customer that I replaced Honeywell control because it was overheating, 2 months having same problem and now out of warranty. Today's customer has a water heater that I installed 1/19/16 and has a leak. Bradford White is no longer my water heater of choice.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Had 2 - 40 gals twin water heaters in attic on 2 story house. Both eventually started leaking from the thermostats. Took both of the thermostats out of tanks and found that the plastic covering both probes had split and it is where the water came back thru the thermostat housing and leaked thru my ceiling down to the first floor. Obviously a defective water heater assembly and thermostat from Honeywell.

Bradford White expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

• Best for: Wholesalers, contractors, builders and consumers needing a residential hot water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs