Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been installing Bradford White water heaters for over 18 years. They’re by far the best tank type water heater for your money. I’ve also installed all the other top brands like reem and AO Smith. They’re decent as well but Bradford’s in my opinion are the best. Most Bradford whites that I replace are near 20 years old and being replaced as a cautionary reason rather than leaking.

I’m no Bradford rep but I see some negative reviews and felt I needed to speak up on their exceptionally higher quality product. As far as someone saying “their pilot kept going out”. That’s most likely and air flow issue or condition of the surroundings. Because I’ve had AO Smith and reems do that same thing from lack of combustible air. Keep in mind your newer heater has more safety features that may require more air flow than your older, not as safe heater. That’s why “you’ve never had that problem with the old heater”. Take it from a pro. Bradford is the best tank type water heater on the market.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Our Bradford White gas water heater was installed in 2002 when we had the house re-piped. Our house is a 50s-vintage mid-century modern style. The water sits in the garage (semi-attached) and serves the dish washer, clothes washer, and sink. There is another heater for the other end of the house that serves the two bathrooms. The garage unit started leaking yesterday and will have to be replaced ASAP. But from 2002 to yesterday, no problems, leaks, or anything. Good stuff.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

16 years working and still going.... I am looking to replace my current 40 gallon hot water tank Model #MI40T6EN12 to prove the age, because of a possible dip tube deterioration issue, and this only started after a plumber put in a new copper pipe from the tank to our kitchen in 2015. So nothing has been confirmed yet by a plumber but they tell me once the dip tube breaks away it’s only a matter of time. Yet we still have hot water. I wish I knew where this product is sold in the Cleveland, Ohio are because I would definitely purchase another.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

ZERO Stars. Like so many others, I have also experienced multiple failures of multiple tanks in a span of just a few years. Might be covered by warranty but you're still stuck without hot water and stuck with large labour invoices for parts and/or entire tank replacements. I can’t see how any of their competitors could be any worse so it can not hurt to take the advice of so many people and avoid Bradford White.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

The water heater is barely five years old and the pilot light constantly goes out. We have contacted customer service several times and never received a call back. Finally, we contacted a plumber and paid out of our own pocket. They couldn’t figure out what the problem was and assumed it was a filter issue. After some research, we realized this is a common problem with these water heaters. Terrible product and customer service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had a Bradford White hot water tank replaced after two years while under warranty. Unfortunately, after the plumbers reinstallation costs, I was out about the same amount as with the original installation. However the main problem concerns the temperature regulation. The temperature is too hot so I barely move the regulating valve and the temperature is too cool. Upon moving the regulator a minimal amount, the temperature is too hot. It is impossible to get a standard temperature. I would never recommend a Bradford White hot water heater.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Ordered a part for my water heater and that was not the issue. Contacted customer service and they Would not take the part back. The part cost me 225.00 with shipping. Now I have a part that I don't need. That 225.00 will cost them thousands because I won't do buisiness with them any way, shape or form. I will also tell my family and friends.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

If you live in Las Vegas or have hard water, and you have a water softener avoid Bradford White. Mine failed within 2 years, the warranty DOES NOT cover labor replacement. Cost me $500 just for labor. This company should pull out from areas with hard water. So much for American made.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

In 2016, I purchased and had my plumbing company install a brand new Bradford White Hot Water Heater Tank 50 Gal Hydrojet Model#RE350T6. Water leaked all over and damage my condo unit. The water was coming from the bottom of the tank. The cause unknown. The Plumbing company just told me "Just faulty unit". I paid the full price, no discount.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

The gas hot water tank was installed on 01/04/13 and quit working on 08/29/19. It was installed by a reputable local plumbing company. Bradford White's response..."If the plumbing company installs another Bradford tank we can extend the warranty at no extra charge." Seriously? I don't want another Bradford tank. I got twice the life out of a tank installed by one of the big box stores and they are known for garbage units. Stay away from Bradford White!

Bradford White expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

• Best for: Wholesalers, contractors, builders and consumers needing a residential hot water heater.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team