Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I bought a Bradford White Defender water heater earlier this week to replace another Bradford White unit that was in the house when we bought the house several years ago. The age on the original unit was 15 years and for the 7 years we owned the house we didn't have any issues. The only time we thought of it was when we'd go on vacation and needed to turn it down. We made updates to the kitchen and added a bathroom so needed more hot water which led to buying a bigger water heater.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been installing Bradford White water heaters for over 18 years. They’re by far the best tank type water heater for your money. I’ve also installed all the other top brands like reem and AO Smith. They’re decent as well but Bradford’s in my opinion are the best. Most Bradford whites that I replace are near 20 years old and being replaced as a cautionary reason rather than leaking.

I’m no Bradford rep but I see some negative reviews and felt I needed to speak up on their exceptionally higher quality product. As far as someone saying “their pilot kept going out”. That’s most likely and air flow issue or condition of the surroundings. Because I’ve had AO Smith and reems do that same thing from lack of combustible air. Keep in mind your newer heater has more safety features that may require more air flow than your older, not as safe heater. That’s why “you’ve never had that problem with the old heater”. Take it from a pro. Bradford is the best tank type water heater on the market.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Our Bradford White gas water heater was installed in 2002 when we had the house re-piped. Our house is a 50s-vintage mid-century modern style. The water sits in the garage (semi-attached) and serves the dish washer, clothes washer, and sink. There is another heater for the other end of the house that serves the two bathrooms. The garage unit started leaking yesterday and will have to be replaced ASAP. But from 2002 to yesterday, no problems, leaks, or anything. Good stuff.

Original review: April 10, 2019

16 years working and still going.... I am looking to replace my current 40 gallon hot water tank Model #MI40T6EN12 to prove the age, because of a possible dip tube deterioration issue, and this only started after a plumber put in a new copper pipe from the tank to our kitchen in 2015. So nothing has been confirmed yet by a plumber but they tell me once the dip tube breaks away it’s only a matter of time. Yet we still have hot water. I wish I knew where this product is sold in the Cleveland, Ohio are because I would definitely purchase another.

Original review: March 30, 2020

I ordered Thomas Kinkade "Life Of Christ" Masterpiece Sculpture that was beautiful online but what I received was a piece of child’s play from the sculpture itself to the colors and the finishing. Make it short what I got was nothing like the original. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

A little less than five years ago we purchased and had installed a Bradford White Hydrojet Water Heater. Yesterday the element in the heater apparently short circuited and caught fire. We were very lucky not to have had a major house fire. In any event, we were told that product was still under warranty and would be replaced. However, once the company found out that the heater wasn't leaking and in fact had caught on fire, they said that they would no longer honor the warranty. Apparently the warranty only applies to water heaters that leak, and not those which spontaneously burst into flames! This is a terrible and dangerous product with an equally terrible warranty. Stay far away from Bradford White!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

My plumber installed a Bradford White water heater, Model No. URG240T6N, on January 29, 2020. It immediately leaked because the factory-installed nipples didn't work. He told me that he had to remove them on every Bradford White water heater he has installed, that it is a problem with the product. I called my plumber when I saw that the water heater was leaking (thank goodness it's in the garage) and he came out and removed the factory-installed nipples and the water heater stopped leaking.

But, then, the water never came out hot. At the factory recommended setting of Hot, a bath would only be at 88 degrees. I called and said there was something wrong with the water heater. The plumber came and changed out the thermostat. Still no hot water. I called the company, Ferguson in Santa Barbara that he purchased it from. They said there was nothing that they could do. I needed to call Bradford White.

I called Bradford White Warranty Dept. and told them that I had a defective water heater. They immediately began arguing with me, telling me that it wasn't the water heater and that I must have faulty plumbing. I told them that the plumbing had been fine in my house, for 12 years, until the new water heater was installed. Then, they told me that it was my plumber. I told them that I had been using my plumber for 25 years and never had a problem with him. I also told them that he had already changed out the thermostat and it still wasn't working right. I also said he had come to my home three times to try to fix it. They told me that I wasn't getting the full story from my plumber and Fergusons. I told them that I had spoken with both of them and that Fergusons had directed me to the warranty dept.

I told Bradford White that it was defective and I wanted a new water heater. The woman continued to argue with me. It was THE RUDEST call I have ever had with a company. And, then, she said she'd send a factory rep. to check it. I told her that I had taken cool baths/showers for over a week and I wanted it fixed immediately. I asked her for the name of the President of the company because I was going to write a letter. She said she didn't know the name of the President of the Company. I asked her, again, "You don't know the name of the President of the company for which you work?" and she hung up on me. I know she hung up because she had my number, which I had confirmed at the beginning of the call, and she never called back. Plus, she NEVER sent the rep.

I ended up talking with a rep from Bradford White. He told me that he realized I had lost faith in the company and he was going to give me a refund so I could get a new water heater and a different brand. This was over a week ago. Two days after our call, I called him after no word and he back-pedaled on his offer and that they were going to send a factory rep. I told him they had promised me that over a week ago and no one had arrived. To this date, no factory service rep has ever called or arrived.

So, now, it is February 19, nearly three weeks, and I am still fighting my water heater issue. I ending up having to call an attorney. I am also filing a complaint with the Consumer Fraud division of the State of California and am going to call our local television station which has a service that tracks down companies who aren't upholding business standards. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH BRADFORD WHITE COMPANY EVER AGAIN. This is definitely a Buyer Beware Situation and the appropriate state/federal business regulating company should be after the company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Had my local Plumber install a Bradford White hot water heater knowing it was American Made and assumed it was of higher quality. 17 Months later it was rusted out and leaking due to an internal leak. Naturally Bradford White authorized a new replacement. But the cost of replacement labor was not covered. As far as I'm concerned there is no excuse for an internal leak in a unit this new. Clearly a manufacturing or material defect. I bought what I thought was a top of the line product only to find out that the quality was the same or less than other manufacturers and the company doesn't stand behind its product. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

After the initial Bradford White unit stopped functioning after 14 1/2 years it was replaced with an enclosed similar system. The amount of soot the new unit discharged over a year is mind boggling. Technical Support blamed the pressure, the regulator of the propane, running out of fuel, to the HOMEOWNER not making the correct calculations to replace the unit. Mind you it was purchased by a PLUMBER from a reputable Plumbing Supply Company.

The final straw it is the HOUSE!!! So the burner was replaced, the regulators replaced at the propane tank and at the house, the direct PVC vent was professionally cleaned as well as the unit. Again a "dirty burn" and soot inside the unit. The gas valve (Bradford White on the unit) is replaced and again "dirty burn". OF COURSE it is everyone's fault but the unit which is 1yr 1 month and as you can guess.... they do not want to replace it. I deem it a fire hazard or health concern and would not put another in my home. Figure about 15 hours of labor and over one week to have a unit that for safety reasons needs to be removed from the home..

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Bought our home new in 2015 and for the past 3 years have had a hammering and popping sound every time we use hot water. The installing contractor says there is nothing they can do about it. He says there must be a mineral buildup in the tank. I am 78 years of age, have owned several homes and never had this problem with any water heater. Your claim that the hydro jet system eliminates that problem seems to be false. Very disappointed in this product, certainly cannot recommend this heater to anyone. Buyer beware!

Bradford White expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

• Best for: Wholesalers, contractors, builders and consumers needing a residential hot water heater.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team