Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

187 Bradford White Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 30, 2019

Our Bradford White gas water heater was installed in 2002 when we had the house re-piped. Our house is a 50s-vintage mid-century modern style. The water sits in the garage (semi-attached) and serves the dish washer, clothes washer, and sink. There is another heater for the other end of the house that serves the two bathrooms. The garage unit started leaking yesterday and will have to be replaced ASAP. But from 2002 to yesterday, no problems, leaks, or anything. Good stuff.

Original review: April 10, 2019

16 years working and still going.... I am looking to replace my current 40 gallon hot water tank Model #MI40T6EN12 to prove the age, because of a possible dip tube deterioration issue, and this only started after a plumber put in a new copper pipe from the tank to our kitchen in 2015. So nothing has been confirmed yet by a plumber but they tell me once the dip tube breaks away it’s only a matter of time. Yet we still have hot water. I wish I knew where this product is sold in the Cleveland, Ohio are because I would definitely purchase another.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

We have the 40 gallon Gas Water heater model M44 and it has operated flawlessly for 9 years. Now 3 years past the manufacturer's stated warranty of 6 years and we are hearing popping when the heater is on, so we know the time is near to a tank failure. I was surprised to learn that the warranty starts at time of manufacture and not from time of purchase. I find this not to be in my best interest and not a good consumer policy. For that reason alone I will not purchase another B-W water heater.

Original review: July 10, 2019

According to the plumber the heater has a small leak which caused the gas line to corrode and rupture. Even though you "are made in the USA". We as consumers, have certain rights when you buy something that says "made in the USA". I expect poor quality coming from other countries. The labor bill was $600.00 to replace the heater. Yes the parts were free, so-far. My customer experience with this company was horrible, I would never recommend this product to anyone, just because of the crappy customer service experience. Poor quality control standard can be fixed, yet when you get on the phone and they basically tell you to "**-off". There has to be a line drawn in the sand.

My recommendation on this product is less than 1 star, just on the "customer experience" when dealing with the manufacture and problems that occur, and that may cause potential health issues, injury, or even property damages to something that you will be paying on for the next 15 to 30 years. I hope everyone takes heed to this warning and if your plumber or home improvement store recommends this product, go elsewhere. Oh, by the way, welcome to your new home, that will be $600.00. DON'T BUY THIS MANUFACTURER'S PRODUCT.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My BW water heater stopped working after 18 month, 6 month after the end of the warranty. Now I need to pay for the parts and labor, God knows how much. What else can I say? I have no hot water and I'm very upset.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: June 3, 2019

My plumber has had to install 4/ 30 gal water heaters in the last 5 yrs in my home. They all leaked within 1-3 yrs. The last one was installed in March of 2018, and because it was over a yr when it started to leak again they would not replace it free of charge because the other 2 were under the warranty. My plumber was not even able to get his work reimbursed by installing it again. I would never buy another one or anything made by this company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Bradford White is a waste of money and time. I moved into my home in 2005 with a Bradford White water tank already installed. Since then, I have replaced the water tank 4 times. The original tank lasted approximately 6 years, the second tank lasted approximately 6 years, then the third tank only lasted one year and 9 months. The biggest issue I have with the 3rd tank is it was rusting and rotting out which the plumber said all the rust was running through the pipes of my entire house! This could and perhaps have caused damage to my plumbing. Not only was this a HUGE inconvenience to me AND my plumber, I still HAD to pay $375.00!

Bradford White is completely responsible but yet claims they are NOT 100% responsible after 1 year. Since their slogan is “BUILT TO BE THE BEST”, they should stand behind their product for more than 1 year. My plumber suggests to consider a Rheem once this tank craps out. DO NOT PURCHASE A BRADFORD WHITE! Their products and poor workmanship is not worth your valuable time and money!

Original review: April 15, 2019

This device was sold to me as a premium product that would last for years. Instead, it failed in under 6 years and had to be entirely replaced. Besides making a mess in my basement, I was also responsible for the labor for replacing the device. This cost over $1000. For that, I could have just put in a new hot water heater. What a waste of money and what poor quality of product. I called the warranty department to tell them how upset I was about the amount I had to spend because of their shoddy product manufacturing and they didn't care and weren't willing to contribute to the high labor costs I had to incur. Don't buy their products, they are the worst.

Original review: March 22, 2019

In 2015 we needed a new water heater. Our plumber recommended a Bradford White water heater which we had installed. Since then we have had to have the dip tube, gas burner and gas valve assembly replaced twice because we don't get hot water (it is currently March, 2019). All of this is covered under their warranty but they only supply the parts - we have to pay for our plumber to make a service call and fix the damn thing plus a $50 "warranty administration fee" that Bradford White charges on warranty claims. Don't do business with companies like this!

Original review: March 19, 2019

After only 3 1/2 years in a newly built home, the heating elements had to be replaced. The cost of the elements were covered under the warranty. However, the $225 in labor was not covered and we had to pay for it ourselves. I called the warranty dept and they could not reimburse for labor. They advised me to call the Corp. office, which I did and left a message asking for reimbursement. I have not heard back from anyone at Bradford White HQ's. Bradford White does a great job marketing their product, but they appear not to live up to the hype as being the "best in the business" and all the other garbage they present themselves as being. All that I am asking for is some kind of reimbursement for the labor cost. I could have purchased a much better brand new heater for a bit more money. I'm not one to complain about things, but this I felt strongly enough about to do so. Stand behind your products Bradford White!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Our trusted installers, Snell & Son Heating and Air Conditioning, said this is the only brand they install and recommended it. It never quite worked right providing warm (not hot water) after 5 minutes of showering. The valve broke and cost us $689 to replace, 6 months after the warranty expired. Including labor, the charge was going to be $915. The new valve WV8840A1001 only has a 1-year warranty. We made a mistake installing this heater and increased that mistake by trying to fix it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Still costs me about 300 bucks, I think Bradford White should pay for this too. Because they brag about being the best well let me tell you something, from my experience they are not. I bought this so I would not have to buy another one for years, little did I know it would be less than 2 years. The part that sucks the most it cost me over 1200 dollars the first time and another 300 to get replaced. This is just wrong!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We purchased a home in 2018 that had a 40 gallon Bradford White Hydrojet heater. Installation was done in 2015. The heater is leaking and needs to be replaced. As others have noted, the heater has a 6 year warranty that does not include labor costs. Based on other reviewers' experience with multiple failures, we have decided to replace the unit with a different make. After you pay for labor twice within a few years, you are close to the cost of installing a much more dependable brand. We strongly advise avoiding Bradford White water heaters.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

In a period of 5 years I had had two water heaters fail. Very low quality and poor customer service. I was made to feel like I should be grateful that lasted that long and their ridiculous warranty covers nothing. Avoid this brand.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

We had two Bradford White water heaters that one after 1 1/2 years and one after 3 years, produced dark rusty water. They were not leaking yet. Our plumber went to Ferguson plumbing with no results to even have the factory representative call him. My husband called Bradford White home office. He got the runaround. Don't believe their 6 year Warranty. We purchased two new water heaters brand name RUUD. These have a 12 year warranty.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Don't purchase a Bradford White! Initially I was thinking buy American. What a mistake! Our 50 gal. BW with a 10 year warranty self destructed just short of four years with a catastrophic failure! The water tank cracked. Hot water began spraying out of the pressure relief valve connection then pouring out of the base. My past experience has been that water heaters begin with a drip under the tank indicating it's time for replacement. Our Bradford White just let go creating an instant flood. With 6 years of existing warranty remaining I found the customer service dept to be useless especially when you need a new hot water heater immediately. If you are considering a Bradford White my recommendation is STAY CLEAR of this brand.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We called about fixing our boiler since it was leaking, however we were told that it cannot be repaired (even though it's just a leak) and we would need to buy a whole new system. Even going to check was going to have an expensive fee. Highly do NOT recommend this product or the business.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had one of their water heater installed March/2018 and it was defective from the time it came in my door. Over several months my plumber came out numerous time, plus a few other tradesmen. The water always checked ok when they were here, Afterward it would get cold after one shower. I purchased an infrared water tester, then tested the water different times during the day for a few weeks. Sent this to my plumber and the company's CEO, to avail, they still did not believe me. Now I have to keep the temperature scalding hot in order to have enough hot water for all my needs.

I can’t use my dishwasher. It tarnishes my silverware, so now I’m washing them by hand in scalding hot water! I encourage you not to purchase any of Bradford White's products. The company does not stand behind their philosophy: "For Bradford White, customer satisfaction is the greatest reward. We will never compromise our standards and fail to keep our promises to the millions of customers who buy our products." The above just refer to customers and not the trades. If you wish to read their full written philosophy online you can find it on their website.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Cost of the 50 gallon gas water heater 5??? Function for 4 years 5??? The day I needed parts to fix my water heater absolutely a crap show! I do not recommend their customer warranty department whatsoever, if you are buying a tank water heater buy a Rheem or Ruud. This is a joke. You have to go through a supplier for replacement parts, really ridiculous. I gave them my model and serial number and explained to them that I have a new style pilot light assembly and still sent me the copper wire style assembly. Out of hot water for over a week. Never will buy anything with this brand name! If you are buying a Tankless buy a Rinnai.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Hot water tank failed at 1 year and 8 months. It cost $425 to replace it under warranty. Water started coming out of top side seam. The plumber stated that he had no idea why this would happen. The plumber also stated that this was a top brand; it doesn't look like it according to this site.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Replaced water heater in August 2017 with Bradford White Hydrojet Total performance system and when I went to take a bath this morning before work, I stepped into an ice cold bath. Not only that there is rust around one of the valves on the top of the tank... AND almost had a fire. I noticed that for some reason, around the cover, I noticed some black, so I had a friend open it up. Some parts inside it melted. THAT is so not good. I'm a single person, take 1 bath a day and dishes every 2 days. I don't understand how a water heater didn't last very long!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Our plumber installed a Bradford White Water Heater in our condo in 2013. It has to be replaced today (5 years). Labor is not covered, there is a $125 surcharge because of a federal standard that made newer water heaters more efficient but cost more, so I have to pick up the difference. I called BW and they basically told me too bad, I have no choice. The average water heater lasts 12.5 years, BW certainly lowers that average. Choose anything else.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Our first water heater (not sure of brand) lasted 16 years. It was replaced by a Bradford White in 2010. 2 years later it leaked from the bottom and was replaced by the plumber that installed it in 2012. Even though it was covered under warranty the plumber charged us $400 to put it in. Now, 6 1/2 years later, it just failed again, leaking water out the bottom. Used a different plumber this time and went with a Rheem. I would not ever put another Bradford White in my home. 24 year old home on its 4th water heater!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Installed new, failed after 2 1/2 years. Do not use if you have a salt water softener or high calcium chloride in your water, BW would not honor the warranty. Not one penny. No help at all. The tank was almost solid inside and extremely heavy when it was removed. Our contractor will no longer use their products. Expensive mistake. Horrible people to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

First unit 50 gal power vent installed in 4/11 by local HVAC plumbing contractor. First unit leaked. Unit replaced under warranty 2/15. Replacement unit massive leak and failure 9/18. 2 units both died within 4 years of service. I changed the anode in second unit two years in service even though inspection showed no material degradation. Drained tank as part of annual maintenance. Bottom line, not worth the $1000 price tag and the warranty in insufficient.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My heater was installed right around 10 years. Water sometimes hot, sometimes cold for a while. Now it's leaking at the top. Called the rep, she asked for warranty card. But I only have receipt and installed label for 10 warranty info that prove I paid for it. She said that's the policy, could not do anything.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I wish everyone would do their homework and read these reviews before buying a Bradford White (BW). These things have been junk since AT LEAST 1982. My first new house in 1982 came with a 6 yr BW which failed after 6 yrs and a couple of months. My second new house in 1997 came with a 6 yr BW which failed just before 6 yrs use. Both were replaced with Rheem water heaters - great product and great warranty that includes labor in the early years. The BW replacement for my 1997 house was a 9 yr Rheem that lasted me 15 years and was still working when I chose to replace it in 2017 due to signs of age. I bought a 12 yr Rheem that covers parts & tank for 12 years, and all labor for the first 3 years, $558 (now $618 a year later).

Unfortunately you don't get a choice of water heater brand with new homes, and BW has a system working against you with plumbers. If you read the "Please Note" at the bottom of the BW warranty page (https://www.bradfordwhite.com/warranty) you'll note that BW only distributes and sells through plumbers. If you are able to buy one elsewhere (dare Amazon) and install it yourself, you have immediately voided your warranty (call them & check for yourself). Rheem does not care if you self-install providing you do it correctly - which means don't fire it up without water in it which their electronic control module would record. The Rheem module provides error codes you can call into Rheem to skip the cost and hassle of diagnosis calls with a BW.

I am a happy Rheem customer, I do NOT work for Rheem, or Home Depot who sells them. I'm really saddened by how many people get burned by BW buying a replacement unit year after year. A local plumbing company constantly advertises a new 6 yr 40/50 gallon electric unit, installed with an expansion tank (typically only $40 retail) and removal of the old unit for $1,395!!! Oh that hurts to think people buy this.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We had our home built in 2010 and the builder installed a BW water heater. The 1st one lasted five years, then started to leak. Since then we've gone thru three water heaters in three years all with the same problem, they leak and the pilot light won’t stay lit. Customer service will warranty the parts if you can get them but not the labor cost. So you are still out of pocket several hundred dollars to fix their faulty product. I would never recommend anyone to buy a BW product of any kind. Very poor quality and customer service.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Warranty is for 6 years but if you buy it from a reseller it is still from the date manufactured. We purchased through the plumber doing the work. We were under the 6 years when we bought the unit but not under the 6 years when it was manufactured. Therefore, no warranty coverage for us. Also our previous water heater lasted over 16 years. Not impressed with a 6 year lifecycle. In our case the control valve was leaking. Fortunately caught early enough. Will get the water sensors that we can place underneath in case of a future leak.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Late Sunday evening I notice that we did not have hot water. We check the hot water tank to find our basement was wet and water continued from the hot water tank. I looked on Google for 24 hours and found PK Wadsworth. I called and was told that the Tech would return my call. The Tech, Roberto, returned the call within ten minutes. I discuss my busted hot water heater and we decided that he would come out on Monday morning 8:30 am. Roberto was prompt and pleasant. He discussed the issue we agree replaced the hot water tank. Roberto left and returned with a new hot water tank and Brad. Together they promptly removed the tank. Roberto placed a tarp on the floor and stairs so that this area would not get wet or damaged. We were very pleased with the job and the excellent customer service demonstrated Brad.

Bradford White expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

• Best for: Wholesalers, contractors, builders and consumers needing a residential hot water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs