2.2/5 (370 reviews)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: March 23, 2023

I bought a Bradford White hydrogen fifty gallon electronic tank in 2019. Only three and a half years old and it stopped producing hot water. I've had three different plumbers look at the issue and tell me that it is a bad water heater. Tech support is saying it is not. They will not warranty my hot water heater. My warranty expires in 2025. They will not warranty my hot water heater. Stay away from this company entirely.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

In 2019 our old hot water heater decided to break on us. We really liked the 80 gallon that the previous owners had installed so we wanted to keep the same size. Our HVAC company told us the only h/w heater they carried was a Bradford White AeroTherm hybrid model. It was installed a week before Thanksgiving. 5 days later, the electrical board broke, control panel just had a bunch of numbers indicating an error. Turns out, the board was fried, a day before Thanksgiving. Called our HVAC company and due to the holiday, they weren't able to order a new electrical board so we were without hot water for over a week. We should have heeded the warning. Three years later, the electrical board again is fried. Now it's going to take 2 to 4 weeks to get the board in. So with two little kids, we are left with no hot water for up to a month. Do yourselves a favor, and go with another h/w heater. Bradford White has seriously gone downhill in quality.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

November 2022, did not have any 100 gallon commercial hot water heaters in town so we ordered one out of state cost $470 to ship, gets here on Friday, installed it, next day water leaking from the bottom, warranty and customer service staff, WHAT A JOKE! Many hours later Ferguson (great company!) just got one in stock, but it's Saturday and had to use a company to deliver it, $400! Plus the plumber charged me twice for install. So we had to pay two installs to the plumber and a total of $870 for shipping plus $6k for the hot water heater, did Bradford White help with anything, maybe credit or discount for a future hot water heater, what do you think? GROUNDHOG DAY!

January 2023, different property, we need a 100 gallon hot water heater, buy anything but a bradford white, only has a bradford white, again it's a Friday and we a hot water heater for our 40 room apartment, had to buy it, get it installed around 430 pm (Las Vegas time), of course it is leaking from the bottom, ferguson closed at 4pm, warranty and customer service staff, WHAT A JOKE! Left a message with the southwest area rep. Opens Monday to Friday closed at 4pm, ferguson opens tomorrow at 7am, if I can get a warranty replacement, probably a $400 delivery charge again and double payment to the plumber, we will see. DO NOT BUY, EVEN AN EMERGENCY, A BRADFORD WATER HEATER!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Purchased 50 gallon Bradford White electric hydrojet water heater in 2014 and it totally was a fail. It had water pouring out of bottom. Now will have to spend another 1000 for junk when warranty was only 6 yrs.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

Moved into our brand new house with a Bradford White water heater in October 2021. Fast forward to December 2022 and we are having issues with our water heater. Keeps kicking the breaker in the water heater and having to reset it. Call their customer service warranty department and they will only pay for parts but no labor since it’s over a year old. Customer service lady gets an attitude because obviously they don’t care. Won’t let me speak to a supervisor and ends up just hanging up. Will never recommend this product or ever buy one.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I have two Bradford/White 40gal gas Powervent tanks at my residence that were initially installed by the builder in 2005. Since then I have had to replace each tank every 2-3 years due to leaking water. After recent failure of tank(s) and denial by Bradford/White to honor warranty, I asked for help from the City of Batavia, IL water department. Bradford /White customer service/lab began to blame tank failures on the water provided by the City of Batavia and lac of maintenance by me, the homeowner for their faulty tank design. I can tell you I regularly drained a bucket of water monthly from each tank spicket and annually drained/flushed each tank as well.

Batavia City water department came to my residence and checked water pressure and water hardness after running through the hot water tanks. Total Hardness (as CaCC03) 1.5gpg or 25 ppm (hot side water sampling) using SoftChek water quality test trips for total hardness. Water pressure was recorded at 65psi using a standard water pressure gauge. City official said it is a water tank issue. My residence has a whole house water filter, hot water specific water filter and water softener.

Bradford/White has a major issue with premature failure causing tanks to leak. My suggestion is to stay away from them all together to avoid the premature failure of their water tanks based on my experiences. Rheem/Rudd much better design and their customer service doesn't have to spend all their time defending faulty, leaky design and material defects!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Ryan Homes development- Water Heater is 2-1/2 years old and have had to replace 2 elements and 2 thermostats. Company will not back-up their 6 years warranty on product. Other people in development having been having same type issues. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

Had a plumber install a new Bradford HWH to replace an older Reem HWH that was not leaking and running fine. Just did not want to deal with having to rush when the old one might break or start leaking. Installed Feb 2020 and here it is November 2022 and the Bradford White started leaking all over my basement. Called the original plumber and was told it was under warranty and the tank would be replace by Bradford White, but I have to pay the 500 dollars for installation and wait 5 days till he can get here. Must be to keep plumbers in business. Next time I will buy from the big box store and install myself. Not a happy customer.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Had a Bradford 55gal Hot Water Tank (HWT) installed 9/20 (manufactured summer 2020) Model RE250T6-1NCWW. Detected issues and called in plumber to assess, plumber remarked that they been busy all year with BradfordWhite HWT. Anode failure (wrong construction material) resulting in damage to interior tank. BradfordWhite would only address minor repair and not acknowledge poor manufacturing that resulted in further damages. Plumber advised that recent experience has shown that repair and flush to these BradfordWhite HWT, would not last long and to expect problems again <1yr. Previous Rheem Tank lasted 20+years no issue.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I bought a house in 2020 with a Bradford White hot water tank in it, and according to the serial number, the tank was made in 2011. The tank failed shortly after I moved in. Repairs cost $200 to apparently clean out dust from the bottom of the tank. Eight months later, another fail with no hot water and no relighting of the ignition. I now see why there are several service stickers on the tank. They were not annual inspections, they were multiple repairs. Time to buy a real hot water tank and scrap this dollar-store item!

Bradford White author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

Bradford White Company Information