2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: April 8, 2020

We recently had our 2nd Bradford White water heater installed. The old one lasted 20+ years and was still working. We decided it should be replaced before something else happened so it made sense to get another one when the contractor, Service First in Newtown, PA, recommended it. Love that they're American made.

Original review: April 5, 2020

I used external insulation up as far as the temperature control panel. Two degree temperature difference on the top, compared to ambient cellar temp at six feet. Keep heat from escaping. It will escape.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I bought a Bradford White Defender water heater earlier this week to replace another Bradford White unit that was in the house when we bought the house several years ago. The age on the original unit was 15 years and for the 7 years we owned the house we didn't have any issues. The only time we thought of it was when we'd go on vacation and needed to turn it down. We made updates to the kitchen and added a bathroom so needed more hot water which led to buying a bigger water heater.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been installing Bradford White water heaters for over 18 years. They’re by far the best tank type water heater for your money. I’ve also installed all the other top brands like reem and AO Smith. They’re decent as well but Bradford’s in my opinion are the best. Most Bradford whites that I replace are near 20 years old and being replaced as a cautionary reason rather than leaking.

I’m no Bradford rep but I see some negative reviews and felt I needed to speak up on their exceptionally higher quality product. As far as someone saying “their pilot kept going out”. That’s most likely and air flow issue or condition of the surroundings. Because I’ve had AO Smith and reems do that same thing from lack of combustible air. Keep in mind your newer heater has more safety features that may require more air flow than your older, not as safe heater. That’s why “you’ve never had that problem with the old heater”. Take it from a pro. Bradford is the best tank type water heater on the market.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

4 years in and the tank is leaking flooding my basement. Rather than have the plumber come out and charge me I called to see what they could recommend. I was hoping to see about replacing it myself but the person taking my call was totally uncooperative. Said I'd have to go through wholesaler to see if they would give me a replacement. I have a video of water pouring out but that's not enough for them. I asked for their legal department and said it would be cheaper to sue for it. They now blocked me from getting my replacement unit without first shipping the heater all the way back to them for inspection. Well that's encouraging.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I purchased my home in 3/9/18. It is a new construction home. My builder installed two Bradford White Defender Safety System water heaters. On 7/9/2020 I found that my water was no longer getting hot. I first contacted the plumber the builder used to install the water heater and was told I had to contact an outside plumber. I then found a plumber who stated he could not get out until 7/12/020. Yesterday evening, 7/11/2020 I heard water noise coming from my media room and upon further inspection I noticed water coming from the ceiling. My carpet, walls, furniture, media equipment were wet. I then went into the attic only to find my water heater had leaked.

I was confused as to why a water heater that was 2 years old would not function as it was new. I have had to call out a company to control the water damage and prevent any further damage. In addition, I and my children and dog have to find a hotel to stay. I am disappointed to say the least that this has happened. I don't understand why the builder chose to use a company that would not give its customers quality products.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Had unit installed, in less than 12 hours, the bottom started bulging. Spoke to Tech Support and Warranty people, bottom line-- Bradford White is willing to replace unit but wants me to pay plumber $600 for replacement and associated diagnostics. This is after paying the plumber over $300 for initial install.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Six years ago, I purchased and had installed a 50 gallon Bradford White electric hot water heater. After 2 1/2 years it shorted out and caught fire. BW replaced it under warranty. This weekend 3 1/2 years later the tank on the replacement gave out (replacements are not covered by warranties). My instructions to our plumber was to get me a new new one as long as it wasn't a Bradford White.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Keep in mind this is a newly built house. I have lived in this house for 3 years, and have to already replace the water heater. There is a steady drip inside the heating element hose. Drips down on the heating element and all around it. I now have water damage due to this POS and have to repair drywall because of it. This is NOT a condensation drip either, as I drained the tank and imagine that, it stops dripping. I try their website, and the warranty page is a dead end, all you get is their warranty banner page. Then do not even bother trying to call, there will be no answer. This company does not stand behind their garbage product what so ever. Thanks for your money, and they are done with you. Hope you do not have a problem with the water heater as you will never get it resolved. Not even sure why they are allowed to stay in business, and to think that they do international business!!!! They are going to give the USA a bad name.

Original review: May 18, 2020

A leak at the top of the water heater happened during the Illinois stay-home order, I have to asked the plumbers to replace it with a new one. I paid $595 labor for this defective item. It's only less three years old. I have a young kid at home and I didn't feel comfortable to have plumbers working on it for three hours in my home during this Covid-19 period.

Bradford White author review by ConsumerAffairs

Bradford White manufactures a wide range of residential, commercial and volume water heaters. They provide energy efficient units to customers with varying needs, including wholesalers, contractors, home builders and homeowners.

• Types: Bradford White supplies various gas, electric, hybrid heat pump, solar and tankless water heaters for commercial and residential use. Units contain various vent types, including atmospheric, power, direct power and direct vents.  Consumers looking for NAECA approved water heaters can use Bradford White’s cross-reference guide to search for a unit that meets those standards.

• Energy efficiency ratings: Bradford White provides a rating chart online to show consumers how efficient each model is. Among other figures, the chart shows the estimated yearly cost of each model and its energy factor number provided by the Department of Energy.

• Innovations: Bradford White has developed multiple energy saving innovations for its water heaters including intelligent control, low emissions and smart diagnostics. Consumers can check out details and features of each innovation online.

• Accessories: Bradford White has developed two residential water heater accessories: The Heater Hauler and the residential gas water heater stand. The Heater Hauler is a vinyl-laminated nylon bag designed to keep the water heater from leaking on unwanted surfaces during removal. The residential gas water heater stand is designed for garages or anywhere else a gas water heater needs to be elevated.

• Warranties: Consumers can go online and register their water heater to get warranty details, read documents and check on their warranty’s duration. Also included is a list of items not covered under warranty.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team