2.2/5 (362 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: May 18, 2020

A leak at the top of the water heater happened during the Illinois stay-home order, I have to asked the plumbers to replace it with a new one. I paid $595 labor for this defective item. It's only less three years old. I have a young kid at home and I didn't feel comfortable to have plumbers working on it for three hours in my home during this Covid-19 period.

Original review: May 7, 2020

The tanks was only almost 5 years was leaking flooded all over the basement. Call to representative. Told water tank was leaking needs to get warranty done. The lady replies "Oh well. We have never seen our tank was leaked before." Are you kidding me? There are many complained here. You guys need to read your review Bradford White!!!! Not worth the high price tag!!!

Original review: April 8, 2020

We recently had our 2nd Bradford White water heater installed. The old one lasted 20+ years and was still working. We decided it should be replaced before something else happened so it made sense to get another one when the contractor, Service First in Newtown, PA, recommended it. Love that they're American made.

Original review: April 6, 2020

Licensed plumber installed BW Eco-Magnum Series w/Hydro jet 75 gal water heater on August 2016. Failed this week April 2020. Two pinhole leaks on lower sidewall approximately 6" from bottom, near the vent holes left of the Honeywell temperature regulator. The leaks were right at the weld areas. The insulation was completely soaked. Did not last 5 years even after routine flushes. Either tank defect or possible issues with the Honeywell regulator that may have overheated the unit. There was an attempted class action lawsuit regarding the Honeywell regulator. Water pressure valve and water pressure checks out. Plumber coming to replace on Monday April 6, 2020.

Original review: April 5, 2020

I used external insulation up as far as the temperature control panel. Two degree temperature difference on the top, compared to ambient cellar temp at six feet. Keep heat from escaping. It will escape.

Original review: March 30, 2020

I ordered Thomas Kinkade "Life Of Christ" Masterpiece Sculpture that was beautiful online but what I received was a piece of child’s play from the sculpture itself to the colors and the finishing. Make it short what I got was nothing like the original. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

A little less than five years ago we purchased and had installed a Bradford White Hydrojet Water Heater. Yesterday the element in the heater apparently short circuited and caught fire. We were very lucky not to have had a major house fire. In any event, we were told that product was still under warranty and would be replaced. However, once the company found out that the heater wasn't leaking and in fact had caught on fire, they said that they would no longer honor the warranty. Apparently the warranty only applies to water heaters that leak, and not those which spontaneously burst into flames! This is a terrible and dangerous product with an equally terrible warranty. Stay far away from Bradford White!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

My plumber installed a Bradford White water heater, Model No. URG240T6N, on January 29, 2020. It immediately leaked because the factory-installed nipples didn't work. He told me that he had to remove them on every Bradford White water heater he has installed, that it is a problem with the product. I called my plumber when I saw that the water heater was leaking (thank goodness it's in the garage) and he came out and removed the factory-installed nipples and the water heater stopped leaking.

But, then, the water never came out hot. At the factory recommended setting of Hot, a bath would only be at 88 degrees. I called and said there was something wrong with the water heater. The plumber came and changed out the thermostat. Still no hot water. I called the company, Ferguson in Santa Barbara that he purchased it from. They said there was nothing that they could do. I needed to call Bradford White.

I called Bradford White Warranty Dept. and told them that I had a defective water heater. They immediately began arguing with me, telling me that it wasn't the water heater and that I must have faulty plumbing. I told them that the plumbing had been fine in my house, for 12 years, until the new water heater was installed. Then, they told me that it was my plumber. I told them that I had been using my plumber for 25 years and never had a problem with him. I also told them that he had already changed out the thermostat and it still wasn't working right. I also said he had come to my home three times to try to fix it. They told me that I wasn't getting the full story from my plumber and Fergusons. I told them that I had spoken with both of them and that Fergusons had directed me to the warranty dept.

I told Bradford White that it was defective and I wanted a new water heater. The woman continued to argue with me. It was THE RUDEST call I have ever had with a company. And, then, she said she'd send a factory rep. to check it. I told her that I had taken cool baths/showers for over a week and I wanted it fixed immediately. I asked her for the name of the President of the company because I was going to write a letter. She said she didn't know the name of the President of the Company. I asked her, again, "You don't know the name of the President of the company for which you work?" and she hung up on me. I know she hung up because she had my number, which I had confirmed at the beginning of the call, and she never called back. Plus, she NEVER sent the rep.

I ended up talking with a rep from Bradford White. He told me that he realized I had lost faith in the company and he was going to give me a refund so I could get a new water heater and a different brand. This was over a week ago. Two days after our call, I called him after no word and he back-pedaled on his offer and that they were going to send a factory rep. I told him they had promised me that over a week ago and no one had arrived. To this date, no factory service rep has ever called or arrived.

So, now, it is February 19, nearly three weeks, and I am still fighting my water heater issue. I ending up having to call an attorney. I am also filing a complaint with the Consumer Fraud division of the State of California and am going to call our local television station which has a service that tracks down companies who aren't upholding business standards. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH BRADFORD WHITE COMPANY EVER AGAIN. This is definitely a Buyer Beware Situation and the appropriate state/federal business regulating company should be after the company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Had my local Plumber install a Bradford White hot water heater knowing it was American Made and assumed it was of higher quality. 17 Months later it was rusted out and leaking due to an internal leak. Naturally Bradford White authorized a new replacement. But the cost of replacement labor was not covered. As far as I'm concerned there is no excuse for an internal leak in a unit this new. Clearly a manufacturing or material defect. I bought what I thought was a top of the line product only to find out that the quality was the same or less than other manufacturers and the company doesn't stand behind its product. Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

After the initial Bradford White unit stopped functioning after 14 1/2 years it was replaced with an enclosed similar system. The amount of soot the new unit discharged over a year is mind boggling. Technical Support blamed the pressure, the regulator of the propane, running out of fuel, to the HOMEOWNER not making the correct calculations to replace the unit. Mind you it was purchased by a PLUMBER from a reputable Plumbing Supply Company.

The final straw it is the HOUSE!!! So the burner was replaced, the regulators replaced at the propane tank and at the house, the direct PVC vent was professionally cleaned as well as the unit. Again a "dirty burn" and soot inside the unit. The gas valve (Bradford White on the unit) is replaced and again "dirty burn". OF COURSE it is everyone's fault but the unit which is 1yr 1 month and as you can guess.... they do not want to replace it. I deem it a fire hazard or health concern and would not put another in my home. Figure about 15 hours of labor and over one week to have a unit that for safety reasons needs to be removed from the home..

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Bought our home new in 2015 and for the past 3 years have had a hammering and popping sound every time we use hot water. The installing contractor says there is nothing they can do about it. He says there must be a mineral buildup in the tank. I am 78 years of age, have owned several homes and never had this problem with any water heater. Your claim that the hydro jet system eliminates that problem seems to be false. Very disappointed in this product, certainly cannot recommend this heater to anyone. Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I bought a Bradford White Defender water heater earlier this week to replace another Bradford White unit that was in the house when we bought the house several years ago. The age on the original unit was 15 years and for the 7 years we owned the house we didn't have any issues. The only time we thought of it was when we'd go on vacation and needed to turn it down. We made updates to the kitchen and added a bathroom so needed more hot water which led to buying a bigger water heater.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

ZERO Stars. Like so many others, I have also experienced multiple failures of multiple tanks in a span of just a few years. Might be covered by warranty but you're still stuck without hot water and stuck with large labour invoices for parts and/or entire tank replacements. I can’t see how any of their competitors could be any worse so it can not hurt to take the advice of so many people and avoid Bradford White.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been installing Bradford White water heaters for over 18 years. They’re by far the best tank type water heater for your money. I’ve also installed all the other top brands like reem and AO Smith. They’re decent as well but Bradford’s in my opinion are the best. Most Bradford whites that I replace are near 20 years old and being replaced as a cautionary reason rather than leaking.

I’m no Bradford rep but I see some negative reviews and felt I needed to speak up on their exceptionally higher quality product. As far as someone saying “their pilot kept going out”. That’s most likely and air flow issue or condition of the surroundings. Because I’ve had AO Smith and reems do that same thing from lack of combustible air. Keep in mind your newer heater has more safety features that may require more air flow than your older, not as safe heater. That’s why “you’ve never had that problem with the old heater”. Take it from a pro. Bradford is the best tank type water heater on the market.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

The water heater is barely five years old and the pilot light constantly goes out. We have contacted customer service several times and never received a call back. Finally, we contacted a plumber and paid out of our own pocket. They couldn’t figure out what the problem was and assumed it was a filter issue. After some research, we realized this is a common problem with these water heaters. Terrible product and customer service!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had a Bradford White hot water tank replaced after two years while under warranty. Unfortunately, after the plumbers reinstallation costs, I was out about the same amount as with the original installation. However the main problem concerns the temperature regulation. The temperature is too hot so I barely move the regulating valve and the temperature is too cool. Upon moving the regulator a minimal amount, the temperature is too hot. It is impossible to get a standard temperature. I would never recommend a Bradford White hot water heater.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Ordered a part for my water heater and that was not the issue. Contacted customer service and they Would not take the part back. The part cost me 225.00 with shipping. Now I have a part that I don't need. That 225.00 will cost them thousands because I won't do buisiness with them any way, shape or form. I will also tell my family and friends.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

If you live in Las Vegas or have hard water, and you have a water softener avoid Bradford White. Mine failed within 2 years, the warranty DOES NOT cover labor replacement. Cost me $500 just for labor. This company should pull out from areas with hard water. So much for American made.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

In 2016, I purchased and had my plumbing company install a brand new Bradford White Hot Water Heater Tank 50 Gal Hydrojet Model#RE350T6. Water leaked all over and damage my condo unit. The water was coming from the bottom of the tank. The cause unknown. The Plumbing company just told me "Just faulty unit". I paid the full price, no discount.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

The gas hot water tank was installed on 01/04/13 and quit working on 08/29/19. It was installed by a reputable local plumbing company. Bradford White's response..."If the plumbing company installs another Bradford tank we can extend the warranty at no extra charge." Seriously? I don't want another Bradford tank. I got twice the life out of a tank installed by one of the big box stores and they are known for garbage units. Stay away from Bradford White!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

My neighbor installed a Bradford White water heater and the exhaust was vented into my yard. The sound is an annoying loud white noise like a leak in an air compressor. I looked on their website for a noise suppressor and there is none. In fact, they don't care. Their response to some a question on this included the statement "Give the city building department a call, explain your problem and ask them to come out and take a noise measurement. If you're within the city noise guidelines you can tell the neighbor to get lost. ". Based on the customer reviews on their units they don't care about their customers either. Out of 65 reviews I looked at 60 were at the lowest rating. I will need a new water heater soon and I would not be encouraged with a dealer who even carries these units.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I had a Bradford White water heater installed 19 months ago by a lic plumber. The unit failed and flooded my garage and had to be replaced by another lic plumber that Bradford White warranty dept referred me to. It cost me $840 to have it replaced. Bradford White's warranty does not cover labor which I was fully aware of. However, my complaint is that no one there seems to care or have any empathy or capacity to apologize or make things right with the consumer who has spent this kind of money on labor twice in 19 months. Very poor service experience. No one in the warranty dept even wanted details of my experience with their product. How can they possibly improve and make a better product when they don't care why it failed.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I purchased a 75 gal. BW water heater and it had to be replaced after 5 years. Warranty was good for 6 years so they replaced the heater but it still cost me $500 for the service. The new one has now leaked after 4 years and they will not replace it because the original purchase was more than 6 yrs ago. Two hot water heater both leaking within 5 years. I would say this company has a quality issue.

Original review: July 10, 2019

According to the plumber the heater has a small leak which caused the gas line to corrode and rupture. Even though you "are made in the USA". We as consumers, have certain rights when you buy something that says "made in the USA". I expect poor quality coming from other countries. The labor bill was $600.00 to replace the heater. Yes the parts were free, so-far. My customer experience with this company was horrible, I would never recommend this product to anyone, just because of the crappy customer service experience. Poor quality control standard can be fixed, yet when you get on the phone and they basically tell you to "**-off". There has to be a line drawn in the sand.

My recommendation on this product is less than 1 star, just on the "customer experience" when dealing with the manufacture and problems that occur, and that may cause potential health issues, injury, or even property damages to something that you will be paying on for the next 15 to 30 years. I hope everyone takes heed to this warning and if your plumber or home improvement store recommends this product, go elsewhere. Oh, by the way, welcome to your new home, that will be $600.00. DON'T BUY THIS MANUFACTURER'S PRODUCT.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My BW water heater stopped working after 18 month, 6 month after the end of the warranty. Now I need to pay for the parts and labor, God knows how much. What else can I say? I have no hot water and I'm very upset.

Original review: June 3, 2019

My plumber has had to install 4/ 30 gal water heaters in the last 5 yrs in my home. They all leaked within 1-3 yrs. The last one was installed in March of 2018, and because it was over a yr when it started to leak again they would not replace it free of charge because the other 2 were under the warranty. My plumber was not even able to get his work reimbursed by installing it again. I would never buy another one or anything made by this company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Bradford White is a waste of money and time. I moved into my home in 2005 with a Bradford White water tank already installed. Since then, I have replaced the water tank 4 times. The original tank lasted approximately 6 years, the second tank lasted approximately 6 years, then the third tank only lasted one year and 9 months. The biggest issue I have with the 3rd tank is it was rusting and rotting out which the plumber said all the rust was running through the pipes of my entire house! This could and perhaps have caused damage to my plumbing. Not only was this a HUGE inconvenience to me AND my plumber, I still HAD to pay $375.00!

Bradford White is completely responsible but yet claims they are NOT 100% responsible after 1 year. Since their slogan is “BUILT TO BE THE BEST”, they should stand behind their product for more than 1 year. My plumber suggests to consider a Rheem once this tank craps out. DO NOT PURCHASE A BRADFORD WHITE! Their products and poor workmanship is not worth your valuable time and money!

Original review: April 30, 2019

Our Bradford White gas water heater was installed in 2002 when we had the house re-piped. Our house is a 50s-vintage mid-century modern style. The water sits in the garage (semi-attached) and serves the dish washer, clothes washer, and sink. There is another heater for the other end of the house that serves the two bathrooms. The garage unit started leaking yesterday and will have to be replaced ASAP. But from 2002 to yesterday, no problems, leaks, or anything. Good stuff.

Original review: April 15, 2019

This device was sold to me as a premium product that would last for years. Instead, it failed in under 6 years and had to be entirely replaced. Besides making a mess in my basement, I was also responsible for the labor for replacing the device. This cost over $1000. For that, I could have just put in a new hot water heater. What a waste of money and what poor quality of product. I called the warranty department to tell them how upset I was about the amount I had to spend because of their shoddy product manufacturing and they didn't care and weren't willing to contribute to the high labor costs I had to incur. Don't buy their products, they are the worst.

Original review: April 10, 2019

16 years working and still going.... I am looking to replace my current 40 gallon hot water tank Model #MI40T6EN12 to prove the age, because of a possible dip tube deterioration issue, and this only started after a plumber put in a new copper pipe from the tank to our kitchen in 2015. So nothing has been confirmed yet by a plumber but they tell me once the dip tube breaks away it’s only a matter of time. Yet we still have hot water. I wish I knew where this product is sold in the Cleveland, Ohio are because I would definitely purchase another.

Bradford White Company Information