2.2/5 (362 ratings)

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Bradford White Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bradford White?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Bradford White has to be the worst water heater in existence. A terrible product! I've had 3 Bradford White electric water heaters in 10 years. It seems like it's the only water heater that plumbers carry and I think it's because they know they won't last and can make money constantly replacing them. Anyways I had a 15 year old Rheem replaced with a Bradford White. Within two years it started leaking. The water heater was under warranty, but installation costs weren't, so I had to pay to have it replaced. This one lasted about 2 years before it started to leak too. Same story - under warranty, but had to pay to have it installed.

Next water heater lasted 6 years before water started pouring out of the bottom heating element door. This water heater is no longer under warranty and I can't find any plumber who doesn't carry anything besides Bradford White. Why would a plumbing company carry such an inferior product unless they plan to make money on service calls? Avoid these water heaters at all cost!!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

We purchased our Bradford White electric water heater in 2015. In 2019, its motherboard burnt and luckily it was still under warranty. We spent $700 to get new water heater installed. Fast forward, 2 years later, our water heater is leaking an immense amount of water from the bottom. Our plumber does not believe that the company will replace another. DO NOT buy this water heater!!! 2 water heaters in 6 years is just ridiculous. They should be ashamed of themselves...

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Ours died just after three months. We installed it July 2021 and here we go with no hot water October 2021. I have two blinks on the diagnostic light. Reading online it looks like a faulty pressure switch. Everything else running off natural gas in house works fine. My cheap big box water heater lasted at least 3 years before it started having problems. We'll see what the service company says in the morning.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Our plumber installed a new Bradford White water heater in our new house. Two months later, it started making a very loud buzzing/rattling noise. And then it started spilling water into the tray below, eventually flooding our laundry room. BW replaced the faulty heater, but they refused to pay for the reinstallation. So I ended up paying ~$600 to install the same water heater twice in about 3 months. My understanding is that their competitors have better warranties for when things go wrong. Would *not* recommend buying a BW heater.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

Got a 10 year warranty water heater. 3 years then fail. Company is like "pay a plumber we appove of" to convince us it was our failure and "we will provide a free replacement part 2 weeks after the failure." You are okay waiting 2 weeks for hot water and trust us to decide on the failure right? I mean just because we don't answer our phone and you have to wait 20 minutes doesn't mean we are not honest? Cmon it's just normal not to tell you the specific details of our warranty.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

New 50-gallon Bradford White water heater was installed in my new home in 2018. It FAILED after only 3.5 years with water leaking out all around the top, connection on side and around the bottom. When the plumber called supplier, this water heater is no longer being sold. Even though Bradford White say the water heater has a 6 year warranty, I found the warranty to be useless. The plumber called, as well to confirm. I have NEVER had a water heater fail this fast. All others have lasted for many years. I then decided to have a Noritz tankless water heater installed. I'll never purchase another product from Bradford White!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I had a Bradford White Gas Water Heater installed to replace a 15 year old water heater that was still working. After 2 years on the Bradford White, an internal seal or weld gave way and it sprayed water over a bunch of items which were not tolerant of water and leaked over part of the basement laundry room. Needless to say I am not impressed and after reading other reviews here, I would definitely recommend buying from another company.

Original review: July 31, 2021

Had replaced the conventional water heater with BW tankless water heater in 2017. In 4 years, there were two major repairs. One was 2 yrs in and the second one was just two weeks ago. Both times the fuse was blown and the control board needed to be replaced. The fan also caused issues and needed to be replaced twice two weeks ago. The first replacement fan failed the second day. Both times we were without hot water for almost a week. The second repair cost me a little under $1,700. Less than two weeks after that second repair, the unit failed again. I have had it with this BW unit and decided to change back to the conventional water heater. I had filed a claim with BW. So far BW has not responded. My advice is to avoid Bradford White tankless water heater.

Original review: May 28, 2021

This water heater was installed in my new home in October 2019. I've called a plumber 3 times since then due to the unit leaking. I've had the T&P valve replaced, which didn't help. I had to have the water heater replaced in May 2021. The warranty is useless. The water heater in my previous home lasted 20+ years. I'll never purchase another product from this company.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Had a Bradford-white water heater installed on March 9th of 2020. On March 17th, we were closed for covid shutdowns. This water heater never operated correctly and the company is not standing behind it. I would never purchase from this company again!!!

Original review: April 14, 2021

This water heater lasted a lot longer than most I have read about 7 years but it cracked and cannot be repaired. We have never had to replace a water heater in such a short time. Not a good brand. Will buy a different.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Had to replace a Bradford White water heater in 4 year old house - replaced with a Bradford white. Now 3 yrs later motor has died. Paid $363 to have plumber out to replace parts not covered by warranty. He has to source new motor which we hope is covered by warranty - then another plumber visit cost! Have owned 7 or 8 homes in past - have never had these issues with any other water heater - not reliable and very expensive to replace and install.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

New water heater installed in September 2019 and was leaking water just 18 months later. A licensed plumber discovered that due to the leaking the pilot light would not stay lit. Had it not still been under warranty for replacement I would not have never purchased another Bradford White.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

New 40gal Defender water heater installed May 2020 as a warranty replacement for other defective one. Warranty goes from original install and has now expired. I've had issues with water temp and had to have defective thermostat replaced ($400) and now pressure relief valve has a pretty fast constant drip and needs to be replaced. Shouldn't have these problems with 7 mth old water heater.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

On September 21, 2020, Poe's Plumbing & Backflow replaced our water with Bradford White 50 gallon Eco-Defender Ultra Low NOx Serries (gas), magnesium rod with our 12 yrs Whirlpool gas. On Oct 8, 2020, my son broke out in hives and continued to broke out in hives until they replaced the water heater with aluminum rod on Dec 30, 2020. Bradford White or American Home Shield did not cover the plumber cost and we paid the full installation cost for the labor of $462. Between September 8, 2020 and December 30, 2020, I had to chase down Judy at Poe's Plumbing & Backflow, American Home Shield and Bradford White to replace a new gas 50 gallons water heater with aluminum rod.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Purchased and installed a Bradford White water heater on 12/3/2020 and found out on 1/11/2021 (had to call a plumber) that we had a bad part (T&P valve), the plumber purchased a new valve and installed it for $350. When I contacted the Bradford White warranty department I found out (like other reviews stated) they will not deal with the actual consumer who paid all original costs plus repair cost, they will only deal with the contracted plumber through the supplier (Ferguson, as an example). So I am out $350 for something that should have been covered by Bradford White, this is not right!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Failed in less than 1 year in a residential home with only 2 senior citizens using hot water. The mode RE380T6 was supposed to have a 6 year warranty. The only way they'll honor a warranty is for parts exchange only and your plumber has to deal with the paperwork at the distributor. Try calling a plumber and telling him to deal with this and see when he'll come. So let's say the parts are $50 and the plumber charges you $200 to do the install. In other words, the warranty is useless and in order to get the water heater fixed timely you have to pay the $250. I'll never buy anything from Bradford again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My Bradford White water heater is going on 20 years. As a former plumbing associate at your local big box, I knew about and performed maintenance on my own tank. After reading many of these reviews, it appears that repairs are being made willy nilly by people who don't have the service manual and are just replacing parts randomly. BW has an excellent service manual that an informed service tech/plumber or advanced homeowner can follow along and make systematic diagnoses based on methodical testing. It sounds like that was not done in many cases. So before you threaten with a lawyer, get an informed plumber to do this testing. Some complaints appear to have been poor wiring on the part of the installer, not the company's fault. Based on my experience, I would buy another BW and I do not own stock or know the VP of sales or have any other connection other than having experience working on my own unit.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Very poor product, stay away. Warranty is useless. I still had to dish out more money for repairs. I used Select Home Warranty to repair, however they did not reimburse me, nor did Bradford White. So unhappy with the whole situation.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

The AO Smith water heater that came with the house lasted 18 years before it needed to be replaced. I got a Bradford White that failed in just 18 months and had it replaced under warranty. After only a year we had to put in a new anode in the warranty replacement water heater. 12 months later that water heater ruptured. No warranty for a water heater replaced under warranty. I guarantee that I won't be getting a third Bradford White.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I bought four of these recently for a residential complex. One of the water-heater anodes was severely corroded fresh out-of-the-box from the manufacturing plant. The water heater produced gas in my water lines. The manufacturer describes this phenomena when anaerobic bacteria produces sulfate that reacts with their magnesium anode to produce hydrogen sulfate, a flammable gas. Their workaround is to change the anode from magnesium to aluminum-zinc alloy to minimize the phenomena. This is assuming that your water supply is contaminated. But my other three units are feed by the same main water line and did not do this. There must be a problem within their plant, because others (if you google thoroughly) have complained about the same problem from Bradford White water heaters for years. I will never again advocate buying their units. I have been using GE/Rheem for years purchased from the big box stores without issues.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

We have two units and this morning our 5th water heater is once again leaking badly. This product is a joke. Do not buy this from Bradford White. And they have been difficult to deal with, not offering to pay for labor even after so many problems. We will be filing a suit against them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Always had Kenmore, then somehow ended up with a Bradford White contraption installed on appliance warranty plan. One year into the installation, and the pilot went out. This became bi-annual, quarterly, monthly and now it seems to be weekly and we are about 4-5yrs in. Never heard of this company, never want to hear from them ever again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Read other's reviews regarding warranty. 1) BW won't cover if you have hard water. 2) BW won't cover if you use a water softener. 3) Here's the kicker...called BW and asked them what they consider hard water and they couldn't answer. We argued back and forth that if their warranty states they don't cover failure in hard water areas, they should have a definition of what hardness is not covered then (you know, since it's a scale and like 85% of the country has some degree of hard water).

Finally the frustrated tech dept rep exclaimed that he wasn't a water expert. This was after we'd already had the same conversation with their warranty dept who was also not able to answer the question. So basically they've covered all of their bases and don't have to provide warranty coverage on anything..."Oh you have [vaguely] hard water? We don't cover." "Oh, you've treated your hard water and now have soft water? We don't cover." "Oh, you fall into the 85% of the country that has some amount of water hardness, we don't cover that either."

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

We have several single family rental homes, located with the same 25 mile geographical area. Three of the water heaters have required replacement of the Natural Gas Control Kit when the units hit the 6.5 to 8 year age. The cost of the kit is on average 189.00 plus tax. This cost does not include installation. This is a parts failure with Bradford White 40 gal gas water heaters. The company stated this an isolated problem, after looking through reviews, Bradford White should be aware of the problem by now; it's not an isolated problem.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

4 years in and the tank is leaking flooding my basement. Rather than have the plumber come out and charge me I called to see what they could recommend. I was hoping to see about replacing it myself but the person taking my call was totally uncooperative. Said I'd have to go through wholesaler to see if they would give me a replacement. I have a video of water pouring out but that's not enough for them. I asked for their legal department and said it would be cheaper to sue for it. They now blocked me from getting my replacement unit without first shipping the heater all the way back to them for inspection. Well that's encouraging.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I purchased my home in 3/9/18. It is a new construction home. My builder installed two Bradford White Defender Safety System water heaters. On 7/9/2020 I found that my water was no longer getting hot. I first contacted the plumber the builder used to install the water heater and was told I had to contact an outside plumber. I then found a plumber who stated he could not get out until 7/12/020. Yesterday evening, 7/11/2020 I heard water noise coming from my media room and upon further inspection I noticed water coming from the ceiling. My carpet, walls, furniture, media equipment were wet. I then went into the attic only to find my water heater had leaked.

I was confused as to why a water heater that was 2 years old would not function as it was new. I have had to call out a company to control the water damage and prevent any further damage. In addition, I and my children and dog have to find a hotel to stay. I am disappointed to say the least that this has happened. I don't understand why the builder chose to use a company that would not give its customers quality products.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Had unit installed, in less than 12 hours, the bottom started bulging. Spoke to Tech Support and Warranty people, bottom line-- Bradford White is willing to replace unit but wants me to pay plumber $600 for replacement and associated diagnostics. This is after paying the plumber over $300 for initial install.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Six years ago, I purchased and had installed a 50 gallon Bradford White electric hot water heater. After 2 1/2 years it shorted out and caught fire. BW replaced it under warranty. This weekend 3 1/2 years later the tank on the replacement gave out (replacements are not covered by warranties). My instructions to our plumber was to get me a new new one as long as it wasn't a Bradford White.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Keep in mind this is a newly built house. I have lived in this house for 3 years, and have to already replace the water heater. There is a steady drip inside the heating element hose. Drips down on the heating element and all around it. I now have water damage due to this POS and have to repair drywall because of it. This is NOT a condensation drip either, as I drained the tank and imagine that, it stops dripping. I try their website, and the warranty page is a dead end, all you get is their warranty banner page. Then do not even bother trying to call, there will be no answer. This company does not stand behind their garbage product what so ever. Thanks for your money, and they are done with you. Hope you do not have a problem with the water heater as you will never get it resolved. Not even sure why they are allowed to stay in business, and to think that they do international business!!!! They are going to give the USA a bad name.

Bradford White Company Information