2. Homeowners

Black & Decker Coffee Maker

Black & Decker Coffee Maker
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.14/5

Black & Decker Coffee Maker Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I have to keep the coffeemaker that my daughter gave me because it was a Christmas present but it is the worst coffeemaker I have ever owned and I'm 62. First, its cord is too short. When I pull it out to add the coffee, I can barely get it to where I can open the top. Second, the top is inconvenient. When I try to pour the water in, I have a hard time going around all of the plastic at the top. Third, it doesn't even heat well. I have to microwave the coffee after it is made to make it hot and I am not talking boiling hot, I am saying normal hot. Who designed this coffeemaker? It is awful.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I bought a Black & Decker Model CM2035B Type 1, 12 cup coffee maker. I made the choice for two reasons: the Black & Decker brand name, and it had a metal pot (I am disabled and have been known to drop things. Glass pots are not a good choice for me). On my third time using it, my GFI flipped and wouldn’t reset. I unplugged everything on that circuit. Reset the GFI and started testing the outlets with a meter. They tested fine. I then tested each outlet with a low watt lamp. They all tested fine. I plugged each device in one at a time. Then tested the device.

When I turned on the coffee maker, it wholly fried the GFI AND the outlet the coffee maker was plugged into. I had to replace the GFI and the coffee makers outlet (I replaced the Romex, too. Just in case.). It not only cost me the price of the coffee maker, but the cost of repairs of the electrical circuit. If I didn’t have GFI’s and had set the coffee maker to come on while I was asleep; it easily could have caused a fire. In which case, both my service dog and I likely could have died.

FACT: the coffee maker leaked water into the housing where the electrical distribution system is;
        FACT: the coffee maker has NO inline FUSES;
        FACT: the coffee maker has NO WATERPROOF CONNECTORS
        FACT: the coffee maker has no drain holes in its bottom (thus the leaked water simply collected with the chamber where the electrical system is;

FACT: if you buy one of these coffee makers (or the models like it), you are putting yourself and your loved ones’ lives at risk of harm and/or death.

Get expert buying tips about Coffee Makers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

We purchased this coffee pot approximately six months ago and were happy with it until it stopped making coffee. We now have to stand next to it and keep push the on button, so it will make a full pot of coffee. Save your money and don't purchase this piece of junk.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Just purchased the CM2036 Black + Decker Thermal Coffee Maker. Worst maker I ever purchased. There is not a brew setting on the machine that does not produce coffee without grounds in the pot. Their Sneak-A-Cup feature (pouring a cup during the brew cycle), results in a mess because the brew basket drips excessively. Wasted $54.00 on this machine, have had it one week, now it's in the trash. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER OF THEIR PRODUCTS.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Purchased for the hubby and it started leaking from the bottom months ago. I contacted Black & Decker who stated: Response from Jim Customer Service:

"Thank you for offering your feedback regarding your Black + Decker CM5000B. I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve experienced with your coffee maker. I’ve taken action by documenting your complaint, and I want to fully resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Your coffee maker has a two year warranty. Please reply to the email I’ve sent you from youropinionmatters@spectrumbrands.com, so I can address your concerns." I've responded several times to "JIM" and Black & Decker but have gotten no help on this matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Black & Decker?

Original review: May 24, 2019

I have bought 2 in last 3 months and all of them have died. This last one lasted 2 months. One before 2.5 weeks. It use to be a good product. Now it's a waste of money. First one wouldn't turn on at all. Second one turned on but doesn't make coffee. Horrible, frustrated, and waste of time buying.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Black and Decker 12 cup programmable coffee maker model DCM2160BC is an absolute piece of crap that leaks all over the counter every time you pour a cup. The pot is such a poor design. It is a design flaw that should be recalled. It doesn't matter how carefully you try and pour it. I am so frustrated that I am going to smash this garbage coffee maker just so I can get some satisfaction from the experience. DO NOT BUY THIS COFFEE MAKER. Wish I could leave a no star review. I love my morning coffee but this makes my morning frustrating. I don't want anyone else to go through this.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

No safety lock to secure pot into place. Coffee maker will continue to brew even if pot is not in proper position causing hot coffee to overflow onto counter top, downsides of cabinet and onto floor burning whatever is in its path. Too risky for pets and small children. Mine is in trash now before a burn injury happens.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I've had several B&D coffee makers, and have been extremely satisfied with all of them until now. I love the convenience of the removable water reservoir, but if I set up the machine to make coffee automatically in the morning, water has leaked all over my counters when I awake. How can this be resolved? I currently have to pour the water into the reservoir immediately before brewing, and sometimes still have water leaking. It is coming from beneath the reservoir, so it appears that the connection isn't sealing. Help!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

What can I say? The coffee maker is beautiful to look at. I love the coffee pot. But, after 3 months, it just quit. Over and out. Walked in one morning to make coffee and "lights out". I unplugged it and re-plugged it. Moved it to different outlets. Done. Dead. Fin! Contacted Black & Decker and their response, in short, was "Too bad, so sad, lights out."

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Black & Decker expert review by Jonathan Trout

BLACK+DECKER makes a variety of home appliances for the kitchen. They make multiple models of drip coffee makers in different capacities, from two to 12 cups. BLACK+DECKER doesn’t sell their coffee makers on their website. You can type in your zip code on their website for the closest dealer.

• Personal coffee makers: BLACK+DECKER makes three models of single-serve coffee makers. They come in either black or stainless steel and all have an auto shutoff feature. One model comes with a stainless steel coffee mug designed to retain heat.

• SpaceMaker coffeemaker: BLACK+DECKER’s SpaceMaker coffeemaker is designed to mount underneath cabinets to free up counter space. They’re great for apartments and RVs and brew up to 12 cups of coffee. It comes with programmable scheduling, a removable water reservoir, auto shutoff and step-by-step mounting instructions. The SpaceMaker comes with a two-year limited warranty.

• Dual Brew Coffeemaker: BLACK+DECKER’s Dual Brew Coffeemaker lets you brew a single cup of coffee into a travel mug for the road or a full, 12-cup pot. The single-serve side is K-cup compatible. You can choose from six single serve options and two full-carafe options with one touch.

• Mill & Brew Coffeemaker: The Mill & Brew Coffeemaker comes with a built-in coffee bean grinder. You can program your desired brew strength, time settings and auto-brew features. It comes with a cleanable water filter that’s attached to the grinder, eliminating the need for paper filters.

• Thermal carafes: Some BLACK+DECKER coffee makers come with a thermal carafe. Thermal carafes are vacuum sealed so your pot of coffee stays hot until you’re ready to pour it.

• Best for: consumers wanting a variety of drip coffee makers.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team