Anchor Hocking Cookware
1.28/5
Based on 189 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for new cookware?

Anchor Hocking Cookware

464 Anchor Hocking Cookware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I baked with this dish the same temp over and over and just this last one, the dish exploded in my oven after about 1.5 hours of cooking. Ruining my entire supper! I have tried to reach out to Anchor Hocking / the Oneida Group but have had no response! I now have sent 2 emails to the customer service and nothing in return. Nowadays with social media you would think they would care of how people react with their experience with the product and then review them! Guess they have enough business as to where consumers mean nothing to them. Terrible customer service! Will never buy another product of theirs again and will share my review with as many people as I can.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have been a canner for about forty years. I have always used Ball or Kerr. this time it seems every store was out of those brands in the sizes I needed, so I bought Anchor Hocking. Huge mistake. Out of about 36 jars only 4 of them sealed. What a loss in food, time and a whole lot of money. Very disappointing. Anchor Hocking should be ashamed of themselves for manufacturing such a inferior product. Every penny counts these days and with Anchor Hocking my family won't be getting a lot of the usual basics and treats because I cannot afford to buy more jars and food to can.

Get expert buying tips about Cookware Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I was delighted to receive this insulated covered bowl as a gift. Unfortunately, the plastic lid cut my had the very first time I used it. It did not require stitches but it was a bad cut just the same. I am a heart patient and therefore, bleed heavily when injured. Months later I attempted to use the dish again. In washing the drying the bowl, my thumb rubbed the rim or lip at the top of the bowl. I was shocked by the pain and blood which suddenly erupted. With close inspection we were able to see a rough edge which appeared to have chipped off the lip edge. The bowl is now at the dump with all the other trash. I am so very disappointed with the quality of this product. I never thought I would see such horrible quality control from Anchor Hocking Cookware.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I have baked with this dish a good bit since I got it. I was washing my hands to finishing preparing our dinner and I heard a loud noise in my oven and opened it and the baking dish was shattered. So disappointing. If this is an ongoing issue why hasn't the product been recalled. I'm glad it did it in my oven and when I took it out. I haven't done anything different. The oven was set at 400 as I have always set it. Now that is food wasted because of the glass everywhere in the food and oven. This is very upsetting that the product is worthless.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was surprised to see so many other reviews that mentioned that the cookware had exploded. I took the dish out of the oven and put it down on the glass stovetop. It shattered into hundreds of pieces. Some of the shards flew off of the three sides not facing me and fortunately, the side facing me remained intact or I'm sure I would have had cuts to my face or lost my sight. I have owned Pyrex for many years and never had anything like this happen. We owned this particular Anchor Three-piece casserole dish set (pan, lid and carrier) for about two years and have used it twice in that time. This is a dangerous product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anchor Hocking?

Original review: July 6, 2018

My wife removed an Anchor Hocking baking dish (8x8 or 8x10) from a hot oven tonight and set it on our glass top stove. Within a few seconds it shattered into hundreds of pieces, what mess. Why are these products not recalled? The general public needs to be aware that these glassware products are not safe to use. After this happened I did a quick search on Google and found lots of other similar experiences.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I was cooking cornbread recipe (from scratch) and within a couple of minutes the glass exploded in my oven. I have never had this happen before. I am pissed because it is such a mess and I rent my place. Whomever engineered this product needs to try again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have a bowl and a baking dish and the lids crack. The dishes are great but the lids are made cheap. I had a items less than 2 weeks. I hope someone look into this problem. When you spent money buying the items they should last.

Original review: May 7, 2018

1 year back I bought Anchor Hocking 6 pc storage with red lid. Today I put it in microwave to cook popcorn. After 3 to 4 minute of cooking I opened the microwave and took out the storage container and put it on flat surface. After 20 sec it got exploded and shattered completely. I was standing near the container and it could have hurt me badly but luckily I was safe. It was very horrible experience. I was not expecting this from a brand like Anchor.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had this thick, clear 8x8 glass dish for about 5-7 years. In fact, I have 2. This past weekend I baked a cake at 325 for 30 minutes, set it on my glass-top stove to check if it was cooked thoroughly then it exploded glass all across my kitchen (and ‘exploded’ is the only word to describe what happened; as in previous comments). I was stunned beyond belief what had happened. In my 36 years of cooking had I ever experienced this happening. After telling my daughter-in-law she googled & found others also reporting the same. Thankfully I nor my range was injured/damaged but others have not been so lucky and is a REAL concern. I couldn’t find an official website for Anchor Hocking to complain to them. Needless to say the other dish is now the dog’s water bowl. Replacements will be Corning or Pyrex only now.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Tonight after baking brownies in a new 8x8 glass Anchor Hocking bakeware, the glass exploded everywhere! In over 35 years of using glass casserole bakeware this has never happened to us. I did nothing differently baking this time. The oven was set for 325 for 48 min. Then placed on a cork trivet on the counter for 10 minutes when it happened. Huge shards as well as bits went everywhere and it even continued during the cleanup. I agree with another reviewer. They should be removed from store shelves and recalled!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I've had this dish for at least 10 years and I'm just now realizing that it's not suitable for conventional ovens! Why wasn't this prominently displayed on the label? Tonight, I removed the dish from the oven, removed the baked fish, and placed the dish in the sink. Seconds later, it exploded. I guess I won't be using the garbage disposal anymore because there are shards of glass in it. Fortunately, my only injury is a tiny cut received when removing the glass from the sink.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was working on a quilt in the living room and I heard a crash in the kitchen. My first thought was that the dog knocked something over. When I put shoes on and stepped into my kitchen there was nothing visibly broken. When I got closer to the sink I noticed some glass and that my cupboard was ajar. I peeked through the crack to see shattered glass everywhere. I had to tape a bag under it so when I opened my cupboard, the glass didn't just go everywhere. It was my 4-Cup Anchor measuring cup that had exploded for no reason. I notice that this is not an isolated occurrence and that many people are having trouble with Anchor's glass products... This is insane.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

While getting my supper out of the oven my casserole exploded on me. My supper and floor was runt. I have grease stains on my floor and it won't come out. I will not be buying Anchor brand again. This could have been much worse if my kid had been getting this out for me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

These great looking glass jars come with the metal lid and rubber seal, which should allow contents to remain sealed airtight. At close to $15 per jar they are pricey but airtight and glass jars are key, as plastic leaves horrible plastic smell and possible damaging petroleum chemicals in the contents, also plastic isn't airtight for extended use. The lids on every jar purchased, 15 total to date have either failed or eventually did fail. Several of the jars at retail stores had failed seals sitting on the shelves making this product useless for me or anyone looking for airtight storage. Beware if you try to purchase these jars, as they aren't airtight from the factory, or will fail in short order if purchased. The lids are the problem, and I'm trying to work with Anchor Hocking Company to get replacement lids. I'll report my success or fail as they respond.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

On January 14, 2018 I was making breakfast for my Family. I set the oven for 350. 10 min later, I open oven door to check on the two dishes. Hash browns in one & the sausages in the other. Flipped the hash browns, then lifted out the dish of mini-sausages and BOOM... The glass baking dish exploded in the oven with pieces of sharp glass all over the kitchen. My hand got shards of glass in it even though I wore an oven mitt. And my toe got cut from a chunk of the glass that flew out. I am so thankful that no one else was in the kitchen at the time. I posted on my Facebook page and I discovered that this is happening way too often. Older handed down items aren't necessary to blame, the new products aren't made like it used to. I placed all my other Anchor baking dishes in the trash! I don't believe the product is safe.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Oven set for 350 degrees. Stuffed bell peppers $30.00 in food plus cost of NEW GLASS BAKING PAN just blew up in my kitchen last night. Has anyone thought of contacting the congressman in OHIO to let them know of the danger of this product. Is this company contributing campaign funds to these senators and/or congressmen/women? Obviously, the buck stops with them but the public needs to contact them first. This is crystal clear in the new documentary, "WHAT THE HEALTH?" There is power in numbers so please send emails, letters, make phone calls, etc. THIS IS TRULY A TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE & SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED any longer with all of the complaints that I have read!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

"Presence" Glass Dinnerware Set - I love the clear dishes... but they are very dangerous. The large glass plates have a small lip on the edge, that shears off and leaves glass slivers in the dish drain... that pokes the person in the hands. I am returning them to Walmart for a full refund. Beware!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Thought my experience would be unbelievable until I read other reviews. I have had 3 drinking glasses to explode sitting in my kitchen sink. Glass splatters everywhere in shreds. I have 7 glasses left which will be removed from cabinets. This could be a very dangerous situation.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

It all started on a brisk November afternoon, I was headed home and decided to stop at the local grocery store to get some turkey breasts to marinate for later in the week. I decided on free range, hormone free, organic turkey breast which cost a pretty penny. I decided to splurge with the thought that I work hard for the money, so hard for the money so I better treat myself right. I brought home the beautiful specimens and carefully laid them in a Ziploc bag for a nice relaxing bath in Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. The time came for me to cook them. I decided on my brand new Anchor Hocking Baking Dish that was a gift from my aunt. It was the perfect size and I wanted to give those babies the perfect bake. I brought out the 'big guns' which turned out to be more of a grenade. I placed them in the dish and sat them in the oven at a toasty 350 degrees.

I then retired to my bed to watch the premier of Real Housewives of Atlanta while they cooked. NeNe rejoined the cast this season and I thought to myself, could this night get any better? Dinner in the oven and my favorite show on. I then hear a sound that I hadn’t heard since my days living in the ghettos of Columbus. 'BOOM', 'POW', 'CRACK-A-LACK', 'DING DING'. I quickly ‘hit the deck’ fearing for my life. After a few moments pass I gathered the courage to lightly tread downstairs to investigate. To my disappointment, I noticed a liquid heavily flowing from my oven door and I feared the worst. I slowly opened the oven door to find that I had placed my perfectly marinated turkey breast inside of a ticking time bomb made by Anchor Hocking. The glass ripped through that turkey breast like a shrapnel filled grenade.

I thought to myself, how could such a reputable company such as Anchor Hocking allow such a defective product to be sold? I decided to investigate things myself while I gathered the strength to clean up the disaster that was my oven. I found many complaints almost identical to mine with the only difference being the meal. One customer had even lost homemade macaroni and cheese to your faulty, Satan-blessed products. I simply can’t bare to continue with this review. Needless to say, I WOULD NOT recommend this Pyrex wannabe's products to even my worst enemy.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Shocking!!! Cooking chicken for family and a guest 2 days ago... Open oven door to check on the chicken after 30 minutes at 350 degrees and BOOM... baking dish glass cracked and basically exploded in the oven with pieces of sharp glass even on the kitchen floor. The water/grease/fat etc. was pooled everywhere at bottom of oven that now requires a bigger cleanup job. Had to go out to the store at 6pm to buy steaks to cook on the stove top. Pics included here. I did not contact the company directly yet, not sure what they will do other than replace the dish...I do not want another Anchor baking dish.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

This morning I placed my large glass measuring cup in the microwave as I always do to heat up water for my oatmeal. While it was heating I went to get my newspaper. When I opened the microwave the glass cup had exploded. Of course it was full of boiling hot water so I had to wait to get all of it out. I also have a casserole dish and other glass measuring cups from them as well. I will be removing all of these from my cabinets. I want to contact the company but am unsure how to do that. I can't find their contact information. I googled their company and read this is not an uncommon occurrence. How are they still being sold? I am baffled. I saw some posts where people actually had been injured. I saw once where a casserole dish with food in it exploded in the stove. This is unacceptable. This company has to know this is happening.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

After spending approximately an hour making mushroom soup and then enjoying a bowlful. I wanted to soak the pot I made the soup in and got a large Anchor Hocking glass bowl from my pantry. I then poured the remaining soup into the bowl, which by this time had cooled down some. I then sat down to enjoy my dessert when my husband and I heard a loud bang in our kitchen. We both went to see what had happened and found the glass bowl had exploded and my very good soup was all over the counter. Needless to say I was extremely upset, not only had I wasted my time and money but we had no more soup!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I was sitting in my preschool classroom, working with my students, when I heard a loud shattering sound. I asked my aides if they knew what it was. We looked around the entire classroom and couldn't find anything. It wasn't until I went home and went to unpack my lunch bag that I discovered that my glass container had exploded in my bag. (THANKFULLY!) There were shards of glass everywhere and I had to throw the bag away. The photo I attached doesn't do it justice. It was crazy! I am so thankful nobody was near it when it happened.

This also happened to my son about a year ago and I thought it was an isolated incident. Unfortunately, as I've come to find out, this is a too frequent occurrence. The glass container was out on the counter and it exploded, sending glass everywhere in the kitchen. Both of these times, the dishes were left unattended. They hadn't been used for baking. They were simply sitting and they exploded! I can't believe there hasn't been a massive recall.There's going to be one in my house. I can't have these around. They are a major accident waiting to happen.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I had this measuring glass less than a year. I use it to microwave water for instant mashed potatoes usually. I put it in the microwave for 4 minutes with 4 cups of water in it. When it was time to take it out, I grabbed the handle like always and it literally burnt my skin off! As I ran to put my hand in the water, I could hear the glass cracking. The entire handle shattered. It's been almost a week, and I am dealing with huge blisters, and pain of course on my dominant hand. I had to go to the express care because I was worried of infection and ended up with a tetanus shot, and 2 antibiotics. I am now scared to put anything glass in the microwave, even when it says microwave safe on it. I would be very careful!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Bought six-dozen half-pint anchor mason jars for a large canning project. Used 3 of them (opened all but 1 package thinking I'd use them all). Got about 28 jars into my canning (first batch of 14 was out, second batch was in the canner) and realized that almost half of my first batch was not sealing, or had a questionable shape to the seal. I had noticed there was a convex shape to the lids, but decided to try them anyway. Thankfully, I had some extra Kerr lids on hand and the next batch was done with those and ALL sealed fine.

Since these were products I was hoping to sell, I wasn't taking any chances and had to remove and replace the lids to re-can 19 of the 28 jars that I had originally used the anchor lids with. All subsequent jars sealed fine using Kerr and Mainstays (Walmart) lids. I have had good experiences with the jars themselves, and often use them in place of plastic storage containers, but am not happy with the canning lids provided in the mason jar packages.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I purchased on Fri the 21 2 dozen half pint and one dozen pint Anchor Hocking canning jars with lids and rings from Walmart for canning. Out of the 3 dozen jars only 4 sealed. The rest were junk. I had also used Ball which all sealed so I know it wasn't my method or anything I was doing wrong. I'm a seasoned canner. I'm very disappointed in this brand and will never purchase this brand jars or recommend them.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I purchased a 9x9 Anchor glassware baking dish at Walmart. I washed it in warm, sudsy water, dried it and sat it on the counter for approximately 10 minutes. I mixed up batter for a blueberry cobbler, poured it in the dish and put it in a 350 degree preheated oven and set the timer. In less than a minute, I heard a strange noise in the oven. I opened the oven door and glass flew out. The entire pan had exploded in my oven. The cobbler ran all over the oven and onto the heating element, filling my house with smoke. I have a huge mess to clean up and obviously no cobbler for dessert. I'm very disappointed as I thought Anchor was a good brand. I'm throwing out all my Anchor glassware before there's another incident like this one. I'm just thankful no one got hurt. I've seen several other reviews like mine and I'm wondering why this product is still being sold.

Original review: June 30, 2017

As I was pulling dinner out of the oven tonight as soon as I had the glass dinner pan in my hand it exploded everywhere. We was making chicken and baking on 350 degrees. Thank God my father was standing on the opposite side of the kitchen with my 16 month old daughter when this happened and I was the only one to be hit! As I see other reviews this has happened many of times! This is so dangerous! Luckily I was not too badly burned! Just on the tops of my feet but could have been very worse! Why would you not recall these when so many people are reporting that this kind of thing happens!

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have not had any dishes explode as some of the other reviewer's have said. However I have not baked anything in them, just heated things in the microwave. But the lids are awful!!! I never ever put them in the dishwasher or the microwave as I have a microwave cover. But after about two weeks they all started breaking at the edges and were useless to keep the air out of food. I will never buy Anchor products again.

Anchor Hocking expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since 1805, Anchor Hocking has made bakeware and kitchen prep tools. The company's products are sold in major retailers nationwide and online. Its tempered soda-lime-silicate glass bakeware is designed to be durable and safe, virtually eliminating the chance of the bakeware breaking or scratching under normal conditions.

• Oven safe: Anchor Hocking Cookware is designed to be used exclusively in the oven to bake desserts, casseroles or other items.

• Heat conductive: Made of either glass, silicone, or ceramic, all pieces by Anchor Hocking are designed to conduct heat evenly.

• Dishwasher safe: Consumers can safely clean their products in the dishwasher.

• Portable: Most items come with silicon lids that seal securely for safe transportation and storage.

• Best for: Beginner cooks, home cooks, home chefs and professional chefs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs