Anchor Hocking Cookware
1.27/5

Looking for new cookware?

Anchor Hocking Cookware

Looking for new cookware?

475 Anchor Hocking Cookware Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 28, 2019

I just purchased this set from Canadian Tire. When I proceeded to wash the first piece, 7cp size, it literally exploded in my hands. The water was warm, not hot and the bowl was room temperature. I called customer service and gave up after 40 minutes on hold. I have used Pyrex for over 40 yrs with no issues. Now I am afraid to use or purchase it. I will be returning this set today. So sad as I am trying to move away from plastic.

Original review: May 21, 2019

My son was baking chicken in large glass baking dish by Anchor. He opened oven to pull out the dish and it exploded. He had several cuts but fortunately the large glass pieces missed him. I heard a loud bang and glass pieces on counters, tables, drawers, floor and a lot in the hot oven. Looked like hail all over my kitchen. I am blessed my son was not seriously hurt. So very scary.

Get expert buying tips about Cookware Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Warming up mac and cheese and heard a pop. When I opened the oven I saw that the dish had shattered. Thankfully no-one was hurt. I did end up with a few cuts cleaning up the big mess and head to figure out something else for dinner.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I bought canning jars on Sat. Used them today Monday and the sides deformed and cracked. I called customer service to report it and got their parent company and told her what happened. She told me to take it back where I got it. I asked why as that was an inconvenience. I also told her that I would leave a review about their customer service. She said OK and did not offer any any help. I told her I will never use them again, and she just said "Ok". No concern or apologies.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have 3 nesting glass bowls with lids and I cannot for the life of me figure out an easy way to remove the lids without breaking a nail lol or spilling whatever it is that I have put in the bowl. I find the lids next to impossible to open and I have short nails. I'd like to return them but I've had them for a while and don't have the receipt any longer. :(

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anchor Hocking?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had baked a casserole in the anchor 9x13 glass baking dish. Removed it from the oven. Set the table and put the dish on a cork hot pad on the table. We sat down to eat. Dished up our food and the dish exploded shooting glass all over the table, food and people. Luckily no one got hurt but we had to throw away All our food. I am throwing away the other anchor products I have. They are very unsafe.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Anchor Class's hard plastic lids begin to deteriorate and drop plastic into food within 2 years of use. They blister, peel and crack even though they weren't misused. Their soft covers with a window experience fry rot causing them to become sticky and fall apart. You can buy new lids for about a dollar less than buying a new container with lid. Sounds like planned obsolescence. Their plastic should be inspected.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I took a 9x13 pan out of the cabinet to use for baking pork chops. I browned the pork chops in vegetable oil first and then put them in the pan. As I was adding toppings to the pork chops, I turned away and the pan shattered loudly into hundreds of pieces. The 9x13 pan was not cold. I will never buy any of Anchor Hocking's products again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I bought an Anchor Hocking batter bowl today to make a microwave pie filling in. The label on the bowl said that it would go from refrigerator to freezer to microwave and could be washed in the dishwasher. I had just finished hand-washing dishes so I pulled the rubber lid off the bowl and peeled the stickers off. I held the batter bowl by the handle and lowered it into the warm dishwater. As soon as I put the bowl in the water, it shattered into thousand shards of glass, handle and all!!! It's not like the water was that hot! I was washing it, getting ready to mix a pie in it. My husband and I retrieved all the glass pieces out of the sink to save to take back to Wal-Mart with my receipt! If this is representative of the quality of Anchor Hocking, ALL of your products should be removed from the market!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I do a lot of canning, 80-90% of the time I use Anchor Hocking lids, by mistake, they do not seal. The jars & bands are fine but with bad lids I have to re-process everything which is a waste of time & money.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I usually buy the Pyrex, but this time I bought the Anchor glassware for storage. Within a few days, the lids started cracking and chipping. I called the customer service folks and they asked me to email them pictures of the broken lids. I did. It's been a month, no one responded. I called back twice to follow up, they said they will respond. But there has been NO RESPONSE at all. So the quality of the lids is bad, so is the customer service. I have several storage glassware sitting in my cabinet, that have no lids. Please do not buy them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I baked with this dish the same temp over and over and just this last one, the dish exploded in my oven after about 1.5 hours of cooking. Ruining my entire supper! I have tried to reach out to Anchor Hocking / the Oneida Group but have had no response! I now have sent 2 emails to the customer service and nothing in return. Nowadays with social media you would think they would care of how people react with their experience with the product and then review them! Guess they have enough business as to where consumers mean nothing to them. Terrible customer service! Will never buy another product of theirs again and will share my review with as many people as I can.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have been a canner for about forty years. I have always used Ball or Kerr. this time it seems every store was out of those brands in the sizes I needed, so I bought Anchor Hocking. Huge mistake. Out of about 36 jars only 4 of them sealed. What a loss in food, time and a whole lot of money. Very disappointing. Anchor Hocking should be ashamed of themselves for manufacturing such a inferior product. Every penny counts these days and with Anchor Hocking my family won't be getting a lot of the usual basics and treats because I cannot afford to buy more jars and food to can.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I was delighted to receive this insulated covered bowl as a gift. Unfortunately, the plastic lid cut my had the very first time I used it. It did not require stitches but it was a bad cut just the same. I am a heart patient and therefore, bleed heavily when injured. Months later I attempted to use the dish again. In washing the drying the bowl, my thumb rubbed the rim or lip at the top of the bowl. I was shocked by the pain and blood which suddenly erupted. With close inspection we were able to see a rough edge which appeared to have chipped off the lip edge. The bowl is now at the dump with all the other trash. I am so very disappointed with the quality of this product. I never thought I would see such horrible quality control from Anchor Hocking Cookware.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I have baked with this dish a good bit since I got it. I was washing my hands to finishing preparing our dinner and I heard a loud noise in my oven and opened it and the baking dish was shattered. So disappointing. If this is an ongoing issue why hasn't the product been recalled. I'm glad it did it in my oven and when I took it out. I haven't done anything different. The oven was set at 400 as I have always set it. Now that is food wasted because of the glass everywhere in the food and oven. This is very upsetting that the product is worthless.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I was surprised to see so many other reviews that mentioned that the cookware had exploded. I took the dish out of the oven and put it down on the glass stovetop. It shattered into hundreds of pieces. Some of the shards flew off of the three sides not facing me and fortunately, the side facing me remained intact or I'm sure I would have had cuts to my face or lost my sight. I have owned Pyrex for many years and never had anything like this happen. We owned this particular Anchor Three-piece casserole dish set (pan, lid and carrier) for about two years and have used it twice in that time. This is a dangerous product.

Original review: July 6, 2018

My wife removed an Anchor Hocking baking dish (8x8 or 8x10) from a hot oven tonight and set it on our glass top stove. Within a few seconds it shattered into hundreds of pieces, what mess. Why are these products not recalled? The general public needs to be aware that these glassware products are not safe to use. After this happened I did a quick search on Google and found lots of other similar experiences.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I was cooking cornbread recipe (from scratch) and within a couple of minutes the glass exploded in my oven. I have never had this happen before. I am pissed because it is such a mess and I rent my place. Whomever engineered this product needs to try again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have a bowl and a baking dish and the lids crack. The dishes are great but the lids are made cheap. I had a items less than 2 weeks. I hope someone look into this problem. When you spent money buying the items they should last.

Original review: May 7, 2018

1 year back I bought Anchor Hocking 6 pc storage with red lid. Today I put it in microwave to cook popcorn. After 3 to 4 minute of cooking I opened the microwave and took out the storage container and put it on flat surface. After 20 sec it got exploded and shattered completely. I was standing near the container and it could have hurt me badly but luckily I was safe. It was very horrible experience. I was not expecting this from a brand like Anchor.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had this thick, clear 8x8 glass dish for about 5-7 years. In fact, I have 2. This past weekend I baked a cake at 325 for 30 minutes, set it on my glass-top stove to check if it was cooked thoroughly then it exploded glass all across my kitchen (and ‘exploded’ is the only word to describe what happened; as in previous comments). I was stunned beyond belief what had happened. In my 36 years of cooking had I ever experienced this happening. After telling my daughter-in-law she googled & found others also reporting the same. Thankfully I nor my range was injured/damaged but others have not been so lucky and is a REAL concern. I couldn’t find an official website for Anchor Hocking to complain to them. Needless to say the other dish is now the dog’s water bowl. Replacements will be Corning or Pyrex only now.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Tonight after baking brownies in a new 8x8 glass Anchor Hocking bakeware, the glass exploded everywhere! In over 35 years of using glass casserole bakeware this has never happened to us. I did nothing differently baking this time. The oven was set for 325 for 48 min. Then placed on a cork trivet on the counter for 10 minutes when it happened. Huge shards as well as bits went everywhere and it even continued during the cleanup. I agree with another reviewer. They should be removed from store shelves and recalled!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I've had this dish for at least 10 years and I'm just now realizing that it's not suitable for conventional ovens! Why wasn't this prominently displayed on the label? Tonight, I removed the dish from the oven, removed the baked fish, and placed the dish in the sink. Seconds later, it exploded. I guess I won't be using the garbage disposal anymore because there are shards of glass in it. Fortunately, my only injury is a tiny cut received when removing the glass from the sink.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was working on a quilt in the living room and I heard a crash in the kitchen. My first thought was that the dog knocked something over. When I put shoes on and stepped into my kitchen there was nothing visibly broken. When I got closer to the sink I noticed some glass and that my cupboard was ajar. I peeked through the crack to see shattered glass everywhere. I had to tape a bag under it so when I opened my cupboard, the glass didn't just go everywhere. It was my 4-Cup Anchor measuring cup that had exploded for no reason. I notice that this is not an isolated occurrence and that many people are having trouble with Anchor's glass products... This is insane.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

While getting my supper out of the oven my casserole exploded on me. My supper and floor was runt. I have grease stains on my floor and it won't come out. I will not be buying Anchor brand again. This could have been much worse if my kid had been getting this out for me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

These great looking glass jars come with the metal lid and rubber seal, which should allow contents to remain sealed airtight. At close to $15 per jar they are pricey but airtight and glass jars are key, as plastic leaves horrible plastic smell and possible damaging petroleum chemicals in the contents, also plastic isn't airtight for extended use. The lids on every jar purchased, 15 total to date have either failed or eventually did fail. Several of the jars at retail stores had failed seals sitting on the shelves making this product useless for me or anyone looking for airtight storage. Beware if you try to purchase these jars, as they aren't airtight from the factory, or will fail in short order if purchased. The lids are the problem, and I'm trying to work with Anchor Hocking Company to get replacement lids. I'll report my success or fail as they respond.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

On January 14, 2018 I was making breakfast for my Family. I set the oven for 350. 10 min later, I open oven door to check on the two dishes. Hash browns in one & the sausages in the other. Flipped the hash browns, then lifted out the dish of mini-sausages and BOOM... The glass baking dish exploded in the oven with pieces of sharp glass all over the kitchen. My hand got shards of glass in it even though I wore an oven mitt. And my toe got cut from a chunk of the glass that flew out. I am so thankful that no one else was in the kitchen at the time. I posted on my Facebook page and I discovered that this is happening way too often. Older handed down items aren't necessary to blame, the new products aren't made like it used to. I placed all my other Anchor baking dishes in the trash! I don't believe the product is safe.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Oven set for 350 degrees. Stuffed bell peppers $30.00 in food plus cost of NEW GLASS BAKING PAN just blew up in my kitchen last night. Has anyone thought of contacting the congressman in OHIO to let them know of the danger of this product. Is this company contributing campaign funds to these senators and/or congressmen/women? Obviously, the buck stops with them but the public needs to contact them first. This is crystal clear in the new documentary, "WHAT THE HEALTH?" There is power in numbers so please send emails, letters, make phone calls, etc. THIS IS TRULY A TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE & SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED any longer with all of the complaints that I have read!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

"Presence" Glass Dinnerware Set - I love the clear dishes... but they are very dangerous. The large glass plates have a small lip on the edge, that shears off and leaves glass slivers in the dish drain... that pokes the person in the hands. I am returning them to Walmart for a full refund. Beware!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Thought my experience would be unbelievable until I read other reviews. I have had 3 drinking glasses to explode sitting in my kitchen sink. Glass splatters everywhere in shreds. I have 7 glasses left which will be removed from cabinets. This could be a very dangerous situation.

Anchor Hocking expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since 1805, Anchor Hocking has made bakeware and kitchen prep tools. The company's products are sold in major retailers nationwide and online. Its tempered soda-lime-silicate glass bakeware is designed to be durable and safe, virtually eliminating the chance of the bakeware breaking or scratching under normal conditions.

• Oven safe: Anchor Hocking Cookware is designed to be used exclusively in the oven to bake desserts, casseroles or other items.

• Heat conductive: Made of either glass, silicone, or ceramic, all pieces by Anchor Hocking are designed to conduct heat evenly.

• Dishwasher safe: Consumers can safely clean their products in the dishwasher.

• Portable: Most items come with silicon lids that seal securely for safe transportation and storage.

• Best for: Beginner cooks, home cooks, home chefs and professional chefs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs